Speaker 1: Fellow conspiracy realist, we are returning to you with a classic episode. Who doesn't love hopping on a plane? Statistically a lot of people, but humans have been in love with the ideal flight for a long long time.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: We can just hop into like a giant tube that takes off from the ground and floats through the sky and then get out at another location. Short of some of the inconveniences that go along with it, It's pretty miraculous.
Speaker 4: And simultaneously, guys, human beings have been reporting, writing down, drawing pictures of weird vites in the sky, flying contraptions, and then what have these things been? I always think of Ondanakin when I when I say the word vias.
Speaker 1: Vias that's right, yes, oh Vimana's described in the Vedas. Yes, thank you about these are texts written in India over three thousand years ago. They definitely made Eric Vondanikin's career or a big part of it. And back in twenty twenty one, we started asking ourselves was this just really good fiction or the Should these just be taken as spiritual tales or folklore or were they based on something else?
Speaker 2: Now, what a great setup. Let's just roll the table.
Speaker 5: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 4: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 1: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul. Mission control decands, most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. Today's episode follows up on an earlier Listener Male segment inspired by an episode of a program known as Ancient Aliens. Ernest contacted us and asked some interesting questions about mercury and ancient tombs, and then took a turn to something that we have thought about for years, which is, weirdly enough, a topic we've never covered, the idea of ancient flying machines. Talk about a rabbit hole. I know you guys have heard of, you know, like Chariot of the Gods with Eric von danikin right.
Speaker 3: No, that it sounds amazing. I just love the expression chariot of the Gods.
Speaker 4: I believe it's chariots of the gods of the goods.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Eric von Danakin is one of the advocates, or one of the main voices in this sphere of hidden history conspiracies that argues ancient civilization had technology that was even more sophisticated than the technology we have today. This technology was lost and may one day be rediscovered. So this how does this all relate to mercury? We'll tell you the main headline here first is that mercury was super popular with ancient elites for a number of reasons. Here are the facts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the use of mercury has been going on for quite a long time, much longer ago than those hatters that got their moniker of being mad from mercury poisoning. So, yeah, mercury actually played a role in ancient civilizations across the entire world.
Speaker 2: It's one of the first metals.
Speaker 3: That was known to humanity and that humanity figured out a way to use. Archaeologists found mercury in an Egyptian tomb that dated back to fifteen hundred BC, and the Egyptians and the Chinese might have been using something called cinnabar as a red pigment for centuries even before the birth of Christ. So in many civilizations, mercury was almost like considered a magical substance that was used to satisfy or chase away the malevolent spirits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and cinebar itself is a toxic mercury sulfide mineral that was once commonly used as a pigment. So alchemists of old thought that mercury had these a wide range of mystical properties that through the use of mercury properly applied, one could transform metals transmute based metals into more valuable things like gold. They also thought it could have you know, we talked about anti aging technology in a previous episode. They also thought that mercury could be the key to a much longer lifespan. There were legends of people living hundreds and hundreds of years entirely due to their judicious consumption of mercury. Greek civilization knew about mercury also used it as a medicine. The use of mercury to treat specifically syphilis, started around the fifteenth century continued into the mid nineteen hundreds. Spoiler, folks, it's not the best syphilis treatment out there.
Speaker 3: To put it mildly, now, it's sort of like cutting off your ear, you know, to help you with some other problem, like yeah, exactly, yeah, there you go, yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see a modern commercial for that time in mercury as a medicine for syphilis, Like why would the side effects be? What would they have to read legally as the side effects?
Speaker 3: It would be madness, existential dread more so than usual, and what like death instant death because of how much you consume.
Speaker 1: So it would probably be something like the Who's warning, which we'll just read an end of the commercial voice. So I picture, you know, picture some nice music, Paul, can you give us some like prosaic, big pharma ad music perfect okay?
Speaker 2: And then the tag.
Speaker 4: Your life with mercury.
Speaker 1: Yes, the inhalation of mercury vapor can produce harmful effects on the nervous, digestive, and immune system, lungs, in kidneys, and maybe fatal. The inorganic salts of mercury are corrosive to the skin, eyes, and gastrointestinal track, and may induce kidney toxicity if ingested.
Speaker 2: Mercury. It's not just for thermometers.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the ad right, that's it is. I mean, we're making light of it, but mercury is a poisonous substance. That's why we grow up being told not to break open the thermometers, no matter how cool they are. But back in the day, like Noel just said, this was used in multiple civilizations. Ancient Indian civilizations knew about mercury. The tomb of China's first emperor Qin Shihuang is it's this massive complex underneath this hill, this mound, and it's pretty much the size of a city, right of all these interconnected underground caves containing all the things you need in the afterlife if you're an emperor. And for more than two thousand years, this guy's been entombed in this incredibly ornate complex, and archaeologists believe that his tomb was originally surrounded by a moat of mercury. That's a lot of mercury, right, Like, a moat is a weird measurement to use. I don't think I've ever measured something in moat units.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, in this case, it's surrounding a tomb. I guess how large your moat is depends precisely on how large you're tomb is or your sarcophagus or you're you know, whatever you're inside of, because it's not the entire building that was surrounded by a moat the way you would imagine a castle or something in a moat. But it was certainly way more mercury than you'd expect.
Speaker 1: He was mercury rich. Chinese tradition at the time of this emperor's life and his burial held that mercury could bestow immortality or a very extreme form of longevity. So there's an archaeologist named Kristin Romi who argues that this belief and the curative powers of mercury could have actually been the cause of the emperor's death because this guy was also I think we mentioned this on the listener mail, this guy was also taking mercury pills on a regular basis in hopes of extending his lifespan, and those pills are probably what killed him at the age of thirty nine. So he died like in modern terms, who would think of that as an early death. He probably would have lived a little longer if he hadn't been you ingesting mercury on a regular basis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and as you were saying this reverence for mercury or use of mercury was across the globe, and in Teotihuacan, in Mexico, there was this other weird thing that was found with liquid mercury. It's like half a world away in Mexico from where we're talking about, this moat was located. There's an archaeologist named Sergio Gomez who accidentally stumbled upon this hidden tunnel. Essentially there at a temple. There was a rainstorm or something and he just happened to shine a light down into this sinkhole that opened up, and they discovered something very strange. There was basically a recreation of the what of the underworld that is described at least by the peoples of the time, the people who built Tao Tequo Con who built the Temple of the Sun and there and some of the other structures. Part of it was large quantities of liquid mercury. And it's at least it's thought right now. We can't say for sure, but it's thought that those pools of liquid mercury were meant to represent essentially the parts of the underworld, the waters of the underworld. And you can imagine in your mind if you've ever seen liquid mercury. That kind of the color, the way this liquid metal, the way it looks fill, the way it fills you know, any volume of container that it's in.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 4: It's otherworldly almost, And you can imagine how symbolically that would be very powerful.
Speaker 1: And basins of mercury would sometimes be used in divination rituals, right because of that mirror like surface into it. This is strange because it gives it leads us to a couple of interesting lines of thoughts. I'm choosing that phrase carefully. So first we ask ourselves what role did mercury play in these vastly different ancient cultures. The question is still a bit of a mystery in the modern day. We know that, like we said, Tibetan, China, those civilizations believe that mercury had curative powers. It also had symbolic significance, for sure in Meso American society. In numerous other societies, it was both symbolic and perceived to be medicinal. So why is it such a popular.
Speaker 2: Thing in these communities.
Speaker 1: It gives us a couple There are a couple of There are a couple of possibilities. So one, it's just one of the earliest metals known, so people were more likely to know about it and to independently discover it through the use of centabar stuff like that. Or Two, A very out there one is what if these civilizations had some sort of contact that we're not aware of in the modern day. I think the way we phrased it is, so the meso American structure is built after the tomb of the quote unquote first Chinese emperor. So, and there's a legend that this emperor sent ships east to explore other possible aging cures. So what if some of the folks that emperor sent east ended up in meso America and they were like, hey, we want to teach you our ways. Also, if you guys heard of mercury, it's super cool. Look at this bowl. There's no proof that that happened yet, but we know mercury remains a crucial substance here in twenty twenty one. Like, people still use mercury. You know, you might have mercury in your house if you have I don't know, a thermometer. That's what I mostly associated with.
Speaker 3: What about you guys, Yeah, same, I mean more like in a thermostat, like it's still like an old school thermostat. If you open it up, it's got a little tiny, kind of level looking glass tube that's got a little bit of mercury in it. I think people maybe use digital thermometers more often than old school mercury ones for safety, I guess with kids, but that certainly is still a use for it in things, you know.
Speaker 2: In your home. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean there are a lot of reasons to use mercury and other things for switching, like metal switching purposes, you know, and traditionally it was used in things like alarm clocks. There's there are a lot of uses for mercury and measuring devices. I forgot about barometers. Yeah, that's that's really important.
Speaker 3: Is that because it's it's sensitive to like it expands and contracts, uh, you know, with temperature very well better than others. And it also stays in a liquid form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, baby, Yeah, it's it's got that high density. Right, So the height of the column and the barometer can be a reasonable size. Your barometer doesn't have to be a huge contraption. Like there's an interesting tidbit there. So you could make a barometer using water. It would need to be thirteen point six times taller than a mercury barometer. So to your point, no, mercury is super convenient for this. But back to that question, and there is a question that other people have tried to answer. What caused ancient civilizations to be so fascinated with this substance? And why do some people believe that mercury may be more than just an element, Why do they believe it may be the key to some sort of lost technology of nie unimaginable power. It's a big question, and it's one we'll tackle after a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 2: Here's where it gets crazy.
Speaker 1: Our story about the alleged powers of mercury kind of start kind of starts in ancient India.
Speaker 2: When you say.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if we go back in ancient Indian lore, you have something called the legend of Vimana. In Hindu and Sanskrit texts or scriptures, Vimyana were flying palaces. It's one of these things where it's like, is this a product of the imagination, is this something that's based in lare or did they actually know how to build these things.
Speaker 2: Here's here's where it starts.
Speaker 3: The crafts actually have supposedly these magical abilities that almost defy, you know, physics. In Hindu mythology, there was a demon king named Ravana of Lanka, that's ancient Sri Lanka, who brought something called the Pushpaka vimyana to India. The word vimyana actually translate to traverse or to measure. Other uses might imply an existence of a temple or a flying machine.
Speaker 1: Ding ding ding a flying machine. Yes, so this captures the imagination, right, But there's there's something interesting. So we said flying palace or a flying machine. It reminds me of the popular image of angels in you know, Islamic, Judaic, Christian mythology versus the actual description of angels in the Bible. They're two very different looking creatures, right, like these wheels spinning with all these eyes and multiple wings versus a kindly person in a white robe with a humble halo. The description of the flying palace or the vimyana here is that it's shaped like a giant peacock. It's not especially aerodynamic if you if you look at it, or if you draw something according to the description. But long story short, yes, ancient aircraft could Some civilization from thousands of years in the past have cracked the code to flight, you know, millennia before the Ripe Brothers, only for this technology to have been forgotten in the modern day. I mean, it's it's an awesome story. It's definitely true that it's an awesome story. How does mercury figure into the mix.
Speaker 4: Though, Well, there is one Sanskrit text. It's called the Vi Monika Shastra. And now remember we cannot, I cannot pronounce these words correctly, so I apologize. V v A I M A n I Ka Shastra s h A s t r A. Now this text, at least on the surface, appears to fully describe the construction of these things called vimanas, as well as their propulsion systems, such as a mercury vortex engine. So cool, right, so cool mercury vortex engine. Yeah, let's do that, spin that mercury around. Let's see what happens. And remember these texts, texts, not this one in particular, but the vedas are written. It's thought around fifteen hundred BC twelve hundred BC. That's when the like rig veda is thought to have been created. In some of these ancient texts that are describing some of these things, this one that we're going to talk about is a little different, but still this is a much older text that has This is the one that has illustrations, right Ben.
Speaker 1: That's correct. Yeah, And this is let's set it up this way. So when we were talking about this earlier in the listener mail segment, this is the text that was referring to when I said these things are described as fact rather than as as myth. So it's important we'll see why this text in particular bears some scrutiny.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we we have to look to that show, the old the show that holds a special place in my heart, and hopefully it does yours to ancient aliens, I think.
Speaker 3: So I gotta say that who's the host? I love his hair and I love his spray tan.
Speaker 2: Georgio, Georgia. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of people who kind of rotate through as the subject matter experts on that show. One of them is Vontanakin. One of them is Suclos. But in that show, not yet, but in one of these episodes, we we've got a quote from it that is describing this text. And here it is one of the texts talks about Mercury wrote and driving some sort of powerful wind or a windmill machine. That might be some sort of what we call a flywheel energy storage, where you have a spinning disk and you extract energy from it slowly. That would be the mercury that could be used to drive some sort of propeller or what we call a conducted fan.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, let's pause, let's pause.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's true.
Speaker 1: That was said on that show. That is true. So we know that we know that flywheels are a real thing.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: We know that it's true that mercury at very low temperatures, think like four degrees kelvin, which is negative four hundred and fifty two something fahrenheit, or for people in the rest of the world, negative two hundred and sixty nine degrees celsius. When you get to that very low temperature, mercury can function as is superconductor. And as for the rest of the stuff described there, What a cool story. It is true that that is such a cool story. You'll see versions of this story going even further afield into like Indiana Jones Hellboy territory. There's this argument that in World War two, Nazi German forces took an expedition into Tibet and into India to retrieve this ancient technology, which they understood to be something called real VRL, and they would later use their discoveries to power their own fantastical flying machines. So shout out to the Nazi Bell. Here's another thing that's true. There really was a German expedition to Tibet and India in nineteen thirty eight to nineteen thirty nine, and it was weird.
Speaker 2: It was a weird expedition.
Speaker 3: The Germans were into all kinds of spooky stuff, weren't they. I mean really, they put a lot of stock in the supernatural.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've talked about this before in a previous episode that you could go listen to now. I can't remember what it was called the Nazi Magic Made. No, we didn't know.
Speaker 3: That's We've got that coming up as a classic. We did an intro for that the other day.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah we did.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I can't remember if the Magic one. There's so much Nazi content, you guys, I can't remember if.
Speaker 3: Got that premium Nazi content.
Speaker 4: It's either the Diglock Bell episode or the Magic one. There's one of those where we.
Speaker 6: Go in into could be that so so we do know that this was an expedition in nineteen thirty eight, nineteen thirty nine and then, and that there were some strange, seemingly strange reasons for going.
Speaker 4: And we know this to be true. Let's just let's let's say what it was. The Germans at that time wanted to figure out whether or not Tibet could be used as a staging ground for attacks on British India. So, right, so could we actually go from Tibet to attack.
Speaker 2: Our enemies gorilla style?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that makes sense, that's military strategy. They also wanted to prove this other guy's idea, Heinrich Himmler. They wanted to prove his idea that there was some group of pure blooded Arians at least that's his that's his concept there had settled into Bet and according to what we know, there was a This expedition was thought to be a success.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: They came back with all kinds of samples from from the area inti Bet, of the floor and the fauna of that locality. But the big question is did they come back with some kind of I don't know, mercury engine and flywheel system that would change the trajectory of the German military machine.
Speaker 2: That sounds cool.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe that's what the bell was. Good luck proving it, but we tried, we tried, We did try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, did they discover some thing that could have changed the course of the war, with the only problem being the timing, you know what I mean, like where they just too late with the secret knowledge they had gleaned from some hyperborean society of old. Again, a wonderful story. We're gonna pause for a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 2: And we'll be back. And we've returned.
Speaker 1: I promise this is the last time I will say what a cool story this whole thing is, because I do think it's a cool story and I love it. The problem is it is maybe not a true story. Let's go let's go back to that Indian literature, right, Matt Nol. The vadas you guys mentioned.
Speaker 3: Those are very real, Right, those are real, correct, the Hindu Vadas. It's it's you know, I mean, there's a sacred text.
Speaker 4: But it's a.
Speaker 3: Lot more fun than the Bible. I'm not gonna lie because it's like almost more like reading Greek mythology, where you have all these gods who have these incredible powers and they're fighting for supremacy, you know, in this mystical world with all kinds of vehicles. It's like I can imagine there being action figure playsets made out of some of these incredible gods epic battles that supposedly took place in ancient times. These sagas are widely thought to be mythological stories or allegories to be taken, you know, as ways to model, you know, learn lessons, almost like Esop's fable type situations which we'd used to teach children life lessons. But in the Ancient Aliens program, they pause it that these might there might have been some truth to this stuff, that maybe there were these ancient forgotten flight machines and these gods kind of battling it out in the skies.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, And there appears to be a misstep in that presentation or the way it's framed. The argument about forgotten flight machines sites ancient Indian literature and primarily mentions a text called the Viemannika Shastra. Right, and again to Matt's earlier point, we are not native speakers of this language. What is this shastra? So it begins by covering the definition of an airplane of flying craft. It talks about pilots of these crafts, it talks about aerial roots these craft would take, and more. It's markedly different from the Vedas in that it is not It is written as though it is factual, and as though it is almost an engineering guide or depiction of real life events and artifacts.
Speaker 2: It's claimed to.
Speaker 1: Be a small fragment of a much larger work called the Yantra Sarvaswa, which translates roughly to all about machines. It's one fortieth of this much bigger thing, right, so we're only we're only seeing.
Speaker 2: Part of the work. Here's here's the thing.
Speaker 1: This Vimanika Shastra is real. It is real, It is in Sanskrit, and it does claim that the vi mignanas mentioned in other texts are advanced flying machines. But the Vimanika Shastra itself is not ancient by any means.
Speaker 4: No, no, And this is where we kind of burst bubbles. And I'm sorry for that, but it's just what we kind of have to do. So for this text, we have to jump way way back to nineteen fifty two AD or CD. Yeah, correct, that's nineteen fifty two, like right after my parents were born. That's when this text was first revealed by person named G. R. Josier. Gr Josier that is the name there. And it was claimed to have been written by someone named Pendit Subaraya Shastri, who probably, at least according to the story, dictated it between nineteen eighteen and nineteen twenty three. Now, Shastri claimed that he was receiving this information from a spirit guide. So what you're actually finding in that text, according to the person that wrote it, it's dream like visions that are being translated. Now, a very skeptical person can immediately look at that and go, oh, come on, well, then, okay, this is all made up. This is just somebody's imagination, somebody's creativity at work. But when you think about almost any ancient text, there is a good amount of visioning that's occurring, of divine inspiration, at least if you believe the story of the actual text and how it was created. So it's you know, you can't completely discount it, right. But at the same time, we know this text's origin and we know that it was again inspired in some way through someone's imagination.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, it was inspired perhaps divinely inspired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to their mind.
Speaker 1: Spiritually inspired, and maybe in that perspective it was based on earlier, pre existing wisdom, sort of like when Adam Weishoppt formed the Bavarian Illuminati and said, really, what I'm doing is continuing an ancient tradition.
Speaker 2: I'm not making a new thing.
Speaker 1: So Shastri most likely does not believe that he's.
Speaker 2: Making a new thing out of whole cloth.
Speaker 1: Here's the other thing he is. Josier, you know, describes Shastri as a guy's gifted with sensory.
Speaker 2: Abilities beyond that of mere mortals.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 1: It's tough to talk about this without trying to phrase it in our modern experiences, but if you have lived in a city for any length of time, you may at one point have seen people who seem to be a little bit unbalanced or mentally unwell, who are perhaps appearing to hear things that other people don't hear, or loudly addressing someone or something that other people can't see.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, there used to be a time that those folks were considered like seers or prophets, and now they're largely treated as you know, folks with mental illness, which you know, obviously is is a real thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this person in the early nineteen hundreds was known to you know, spontaneously address people or spontaneously share verbally these inspirations or these messages they received. At the time, that was seen as a legitimate source of information. But it leads us to a modern controversy, doesn't it, Because those what this means is no matter how you slice it, those various claims about ancient flying machines in Indian literature, whether they're craft mentioned in actual text from antiquity, or whether they're more modern hoaxes, all of this leads to an enormous controversy. In twenty fifteen, during the one hundred and second Indian Science Congress in Mumbai. The Indian Science Congress is like another another scientific conference, right, you've heard of these before. Academics, researchers, scientists. They get together and they present papers, right, and they have q and a's, and they discuss and review one another's ideas. And the goal of this is to spread the awareness of the latest science with the hope that maybe two different fields of research will be able to lend some sort of insight to one another.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful idea.
Speaker 1: Things didn't go the way the congress planners wanted them to go in twenty fifteen because somebody brought up this brought up this shastra and argued that ancient ancient aircraft using exotic power sources like a mercury moor were real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the organizers of this conference allowed a non Jay Bodas and his co presenter, a person by the name of Amaya Jadhav, to submit and present a paper that claimed that aircraft more advanced than the world has ever known existed in ancient India, and in various interviews, these researchers claimed that the craft were massive and could fly to other planets, apparently also again kind of defying what we know about physics of aircraft, fly backwards, left, right, up, down, out, maneuvering modern airplanes. I mean, these are things that we have yet to achieve. So in December of twenty fourteen, ram Prasad grand Hiraman, who was a scientist at NASA's Aims Research Center, created a petition that would prevent the paper from being presented at this conference. So by December thirty first, two hundred and twenty scientists and academics had signed this petition. Grand Chereman criticized the paper as being pseudoscience and said the mythology should not be mixed with science.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because again this is this is a congress that is meant to advance scientific understanding, and part of the review process is to evaluate the merits of these claims. Other experts dunked on the proposals in this paper and this Shastra text left and right. One of my favorites is an author named JB. Hare who was working for the Sacred Text Archive. He had some especially snarky stuff to say about the aerodynamics of the craft described in the Vermonica Shastra. He said, quote, they are absurdly non aerodynamic, brutalist wedding cakes with minarets, huge ornithopter wings and dinky propellers, which is like hot fire level, hot fire level insult in academia.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: Well again, like it depends on the propulsion system, guys, issue, they've got some kind of special mercury unknown technology propulsion system. If it's true, Like there's stuff in there that may be some kind of electromagnetic field that functions outside of our understanding of modern physics, like it wouldn't matter how it was shaped, if it could slip through matter in a different kind of way because it's not being affected by gravity or whatever. But which is again way out there in conceptual and not currently possible or even conceivable. But it wouldn't matter if it looked like a brutalist wedding cake with spiky things on the side. You know, you could just be a bubble essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fair point because also we would add to this, it depends on the medium in which this kind of craft would be uh would be moving, right, So if it's in space, it's functioning in a very different environment. So maybe maybe there's something to that along with the propulsion mechanism. I mean, those are those are fair points.
Speaker 4: Because some of them look like like return capsules essentially. For sure, some of NASA's technology that was being developed in the fifties and sixties, it looks very similar to that, just kind of turned upwards, so the point is up rather than you know, if it was well, no, because it was returning. If they're returning, the pointy side is still pointed up anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: So when we put the pieces together with all this in mind, it looks currently as if the story of ancient mercury powered flying machines is either an honest mistake in the reading of text or a dishonest, purposeful attempt to shoehorn ancient mythology into a modern cultural framework. So like, there are these questions, right, these important questions. If, for example, there were real ancient flying machines, then where were they? Where are they? How come no other culture has written about them?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: This makes me think of as in a science purely sci fi context, what was the Alien prequel Prometheus, Yes, it kind of It kind of makes me think of that kind of like it's it's ancient technology created by these like giants that were essentially.
Speaker 2: Gods, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know there was problems with that movie, but I like the base level lore of it and the way those creatures looked and the way their tech worked, And what was that Like the pilot guy that was like, you know, designed by hr Geeker that you saw in the original Alien movie that kind of made an appearance in Prometheus. This very much makes me think of that kind of I wonder if that was inspired by this stuff.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm almost certain that it was in some way, right, because in that movie and Prometheus, it's it's planet seeding, right, It's it's like the seeds of life are planted by these by this pilot and by you know, maybe the species are correct.
Speaker 3: Or were they They were called something the gray weird blue gray guys.
Speaker 2: It's been a.
Speaker 1: While, yeah, they were called the uh engineers the humans.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, and you can imagine and you know, in God, I guess when when the actual battles were occurring in some of these things. You can imagine that seeing technology that is so far beyond your understanding would just it would be a mind blowing thing. Reminds me of I think the filth, Yeah, the filth by Grant Morrison, when when people encounter technology that is so strange and outside of their realm of understanding, they just the the human mind just chooses to not remember it, or it's as though it didn't exist, or you can't see it because because it's just so far beyond your your capabilities of observation, Like you can imagine that stuff, right. That's why Ancient Aliens is such a successful show, I think, because part of it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I can, I can. I can go with you there, because if we imagine, if we imagine those events from the perspective of people who lived during that time period, then you can easily imagine how weird some stuff may have looked. Like if you're from a culture that's never seen an elephant, for instance, and then you get into a scrap and the other side comes rolling up on you riding elephants, You're gonna freak out. That's like, that's insane, you know, and that's inspired so many like sword and Sorcery fantasy fight scenes. Is the idea of somebody encountering something like an elephant for the first time.
Speaker 4: So or imagine just an explosion from a simple explosive device for the first time when you're in a battle, right, I mean, just what that would do to your mind?
Speaker 1: People on horses, that's crazy too, you know. Back in the days, that was very surprising in an unpleasant way for many people. And sadly that surprise probably didn't last long because neither did they.
Speaker 4: Guys, we didn't even talk about the nuclear nuclear bomb, nuclear war. Serious.
Speaker 2: I know, saving it.
Speaker 1: I think it's its own thing. Because to talk about that, we also have to talk about ancient traces of radiation, like the first nuclear reactor, which is real and.
Speaker 2: Not man made.
Speaker 1: There's a nuclear reactor that's super ancient. But I think, yeah, ancient nuclear war is an episode for another day. I know it sounds like we have clearly dismissed the ideas of ancient flying machines, but there are some important considerations here, some important caveats. First, what we what we've really done, is made a pretty good case that the text people are basing a lot of these claims on is not near as old as it is sometimes assumed to be. But second, we have to remember humanity is very, very very good at losing things, so good at losing stuff. We have lost technology before, and it's usually rediscovered at some point.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: There are examples like Greek fire, Damascus steel, And then there are things that looked really advanced for their time period, like the anti Cathera mechanism. You guys remember that one, of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, So like where does.
Speaker 4: That turn out?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there's some really cool newer concepts about the origins of that that we could definitely, Yeah, we should definitely bring that back up. So I know where we need to get out of here. I want to bring up one other thing when it comes to vimanas for this episode. Weirdly enough, several of us independently found an article out of Medium that I've been I think we have to bring.
Speaker 1: Up Okay, all right, yeah, so so Medium if anybody doesn't know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Medium dot com is.
Speaker 1: A website, a platform where people can write and post their own material.
Speaker 2: Right, So I did put this in the notes, and I think we all we all found it.
Speaker 1: We were looking for the most out there story, right Gosh, Matt, you brought it up all the honors with the headline.
Speaker 4: We'll start it with the headline.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the headline.
Speaker 4: A five thousand year old ancient Indian viamana found in Afghanistan cave. Eight American soldiers stuck in time well.
Speaker 2: Time well is all.
Speaker 4: Caps disappeared in attempt to remove it. So the soldiers disappeared in a time well when they were trying to remove the vimana. Now, this is written by Sathish Ramyan, and if you can read it, I would just recommend you go to Medium and read the story. There's nothing really sighted in it when it comes to what is happening or the facts, But it has some incredible things said. Ultimately, it has to do with exactly what the title says, just kind of expanded a little bit, and it includes Barack Obama and I think Nicholas Sarkozy and Angola Merkle all going to Afghanistan in twenty twelve for a weird thing, which would be which in this case, the weird thing is that there's a Vimana stuck in a time well with a bunch of other American soldiers.
Speaker 2: What's a time well? Is that like a wormhole or a portal?
Speaker 4: It explains the time well. It appears to be an electromagnetic radiation gravity field, first postulated by Albert Einstein as the unified field theory and long rumored to be behind the infamous American World War Two experiment in teleportation called the Philadelphia Experiment. Heard of it, Heard of it? So yeah, I mean, cool stuff, cool story again, but there's just no I where's it coming from? Who's who was actually stating some of this stuff there? There are references cited at the bottom down here, but there's nothing to actually in any way to prove that this even kind of happened.
Speaker 2: Well, it could have been covered up.
Speaker 4: It could have been But dude, stheash, how did you find out about it? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 1: So I guess though, I am so into stories like this, and it would be amazing if these were true. It would be amazing if this kind of technology was discovered and if people could prove that it existed.
Speaker 2: But at this point we have two big takeaways.
Speaker 1: First, we know again that document that is cited so often as ancient research is not in fact ancient.
Speaker 2: It's not saying it's untrue.
Speaker 1: It's just saying we know the provenance of it, and it likely occurred in the early nineteen hundreds and was later revealed in the nineteen fifties to the public. The second thing we know, however, is that technology does get lost. The thing is a lot of it ends up being rediscovered or just as often reinvented by someone else later on down the line. So this possibility, that very real possibility of lost technology. I would argue that is the core of what makes the ancient flying machines lore so compelling and so fascinating. While mercury powered ancient flying machines probably never existed, based on what we know at this point, it's enormously difficult to say that we somehow know all the technology, techniques and research of ancient peoples and civilizations. Like there are stone works that are still around today and Peru and other parts of the world where people we have theories about how they were able to build these seamlessly constructed stone walls with no mortar or anything like that that lasted centuries and centuries and centuries. Well, we're not sure because people back then we're just as intelligent as people now, and they figured stuff out just like us. So I'm going to say, I don't know about you, guys. I am super open to getting some hard proof about an ancient flying machine.
Speaker 2: That would be so cool.
Speaker 4: Please please send send us anything if you've got it. If you actually have something, we want to read it.
Speaker 1: And with this our episode draws to a close. We passed the We passed the Mercury Vortex torch to you, folks. What do you think Is there any real lost technology out there left waiting to be rediscovered? And if so, what do you think it is?
Speaker 2: Where? Where could it be found? Right?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Maybe? I don't know.
Speaker 1: This goes so many directions, you know, like is there is there a city or community that was buried beneath the waves that is home to like a ton of anti Cathera mechanisms or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's again cool stories, dude.
Speaker 4: Have you guys heard have you guys heard of the I think it's every twenty six second the earth like blips essentially sends out a small seismic had those tiny seismic event every twenty six seconds. And it's been happening for decades and decades and decades or is discovered at least several decades ago, and it continues and it's it's allegedly at least according to some research that's occurred in the two thousands, maybe the twenty tens, where it's off the coast of it's like the kind of the mid west coast of the continent of Africa. Allegedly it's coming from.
Speaker 2: There, Guinea specifically, right, so I think it's off.
Speaker 4: The coast of Guinea. Yeah, kay, I can't recall right now the place, but allegedly the Earth is just like doing this pulse and seismologists geologists are unsure what it is. The best theories that its waves crashing against this one particular place. But I don't think as waves, y'all.
Speaker 1: Every twenty six seconds, some ancient civilization left a very weird snooze button.
Speaker 2: They're just not They're just not hitting the button.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fascinating because that's one of those things, you know, I think when you read read about this. It's also been called a micro sizsm right, like a very small seismic event that is probably undetectable by humans without technology.
Speaker 2: But whenever you read about this thing, the.
Speaker 1: Main I would say, the weirdest part is that no one is sure exactly why it's happening, right, We don't know, right, yeah, exactly, So let us know what you think. Why is the earth pulsing every twenty six seconds? Are there ancient pieces of technology? If not flying machines? Are there ancient pieces of lost technology that might be rediscovered? We want to hear from you. We try to make ourselves easy to find online.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: You can find this in the usual social media locations of note where we are conspiracy stuff or conspiracy stuff show on Instagram. You can also join our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy to get in on the real time conversations with your fellow conspiracy realists. Yes, we also have a phone number you can reach us one eight three three STDWYTK. If you call the number, you will get a voicemail and you can leave a message. Here's what we recommend. Tell us the name you want us to call you, doesn't matter, if it's your real name, something you'll recognize when we say it on air. Let us know if you're okay with us using your voice on the air, then go ahead and tell us your story anything, whatever it is, whether it's just an experience you've had, whether it's an idea for an episode, anything. Just give it right up at the top there, and then anything you want to say, just directly to Noel and Ben and I put it at the end if you can, and try to keep it under three minutes, and also trying to keep it to one message. That'll increase your chances of actually getting on the air. Matt, and if I did my first callback the other day, oh nice, A lovely gentleman, a music teacher who had some real cool ideas about coded messages being sent to the Nazis by contemporary composers. Turns out didn't have as much sand to it as we would have liked, but we had a nice conversation and he sent me some cool follow up articles. So really, yeah, you will potentially maybe not even get a callback from me or Ben who knows.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely true. We always love to hear from you, And as Matt said, if there is a story that you need to tell that is longer than three minutes, please please please don't feel like you have to edit yourself. Squeezing a ten minute story into three minutes worth of time is, you know, sometimes a dubious endeavor. So if you have something else to tell us, you don't like social media and phone numbers don't quite launch your vim Yanna is one other way you can always contact us. That's our good old fashioned email address where we are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.