Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Hello lady, Hi, welcome to this Malrose Minute. So we had so much fun. We went on such a tangent on the last recap talking about bad hair experiences, and we realized we're nowhere near done.
Speaker 4: No so much more to talk about.
Speaker 3: Like I always joke about, let's talk about my hair, but I realized, I think I actually do want.
Speaker 5: To talk about hair.
Speaker 2: There's a reason both of us, all of us wear our hair the exact same now, like we don't do anything with it, Like I don't care what.
Speaker 5: I'm doing, It's always the same.
Speaker 6: I can't say the same for myself.
Speaker 4: I go through like I'll grow it up really long because I just ignore it. And then I'll go, nope, I'm going short, and I'll like, I'll do like a really drastic haircut, and then go what was I thinking?
Speaker 3: And then I didn't even wait for your drastic haircut on court because you you had this idea came to mind. What came to mind for me was when I did Ali McBeal and I had this areas stockingly wait but longer it was, and also it was thicker because I was younger, and it was really long and full and just gorgeous. And they had this idea that I would cut my hair and uh, that my character Georgia would cut her hair, which, by the way, is why Georgie is named Georgie and not Georgia, because I thought that would sound insane to name her after a character I played on television. Oh so that's my dog, by the way, for those of you who don't know. And it was this it was a reveal, like I walk into the office and I turn around, and I think it was when long hair was sort of out and short hair was coming in. It was a very dramatic, like cool thing. And I think that my husband played by Gilbellos, was flirting with Ali played by Callista and it was kind of my big dramatic moment.
Speaker 1: And I looked back.
Speaker 3: At the haircut and it was awful, like it was looked like Florence Henderson.
Speaker 1: It was sort of like a bowl.
Speaker 5: And then it flipped at the bottom.
Speaker 1: It's a bowl.
Speaker 3: I remember at the time though it was cool. I remember the hair hairstyling magazines. Yeah, yeah, it was in every hairstyling magazine, and I look back and it was horrifying, just horrifying.
Speaker 5: And then can the reviews say about it? Did they comment on your haircut?
Speaker 3: Like it was in every hairstyling magazine? Like now it looks to me like the John and Kate plus eight hairdoo, Like now it looks so ridiculous to me, but it was. And then I just went shorter and shorter and shorter till I had like, wow, a little pixie and I loved it. But there's nothing else you can do with the pixie. No, you'll kind of naked. So I don't think I'll ever.
Speaker 1: Do that again.
Speaker 6: And growing it out is so painful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the idea was they would schedule it so that I would have long hair and then there had short hair. But then they missed the schedule and I had to go back, so I had a long wig.
Speaker 1: And a short way you know, Oh my god, hair was such a How did those wigs look? Did they look look terrible?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: They're not going to spend money on a real hair wig, right, Like one of my girlfriends hand weeds real hair wigs, and they're gorgeous, but they're thousands of dollars they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and depending on the production, Yeah, they might not be getting the most the highest.
Speaker 3: It's not worth it for the filler while they're doing my trying to figure out my hair. But I remember it was such a big dealer. I remember driving home from the hair salon and not feeling my hair.
Speaker 1: It was all gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I cut my hair right before Melrose. That's why I come on Melrose with short hair. I played a serial killer or something and oh, and I was.
Speaker 1: You didn't want your hair something serial killer and I.
Speaker 2: And then I dressed like the victim. So that had a blonde wig in it, which I thought, oh, I'm going to be blonde for a while. It is I looked horrible as a blonde and at least to play with. Yeah, and I had a red wig and I was like, Laura, you look great as a redded.
Speaker 5: I looked horrible as I redded.
Speaker 2: But then they finally cut it and so short that they had to shave the back, you know.
Speaker 5: Because I was like a guy.
Speaker 1: I was. It was I was.
Speaker 5: Pretending I was a man so that I wouldn't be caught as a woman. Whatever. Anyway, I'm dying to see this movie. No, it's terrible. I was called a chameleon. It's called the chamelion.
Speaker 2: But at any rate, I cut my hair really short so that it was shaved back there. My boyfriend at the time loved it. But you know, a lot of guys like the short hair. I've never had it since, but I had to grow it out. But but I felt the same thing.
Speaker 5: My head was really light, Courtney. I don't know how short years was, but it was like very naked. I felt very kind of like, ah, you're seeing everything. I can't hide anything, you know, Yes, and then it sally.
Speaker 4: Just grew out and Okay, you guys are describing you guys are describing haircuts that you're like feeling like we're such dramatic change. I feel like I go through that every five years anyway, Like I just I go from long to short and then still have to like go through growing pains and grown it out.
Speaker 6: I'm constantly changing the length.
Speaker 4: And but my my on screen hair trauma. I had a couple I did an episode I think it was called I think I did. It was the Outer Limits, remember that sci fi, of course, and I played twins, and so one twin had you know, long regular hair and the other twin I had this really short, like really pixie like wig, and so that was, you know, to make that story of two very different looking characters, and that was really jarring.
Speaker 6: To see myself like that.
Speaker 4: But on Pretty Little Liars, I had to do a full scene in a bald cap.
Speaker 6: Not that's completely head shaven.
Speaker 4: It was, Yeah, so I win here in terms of you know, dramatic extreme hair moment on screen. The bald cap was for a nightmare sequence that I my character is in jail and it's a nightmare sequence.
Speaker 6: That my daughter's having about me being in an.
Speaker 4: Orange jumpsuit with my hair totally shaved, and it there's like a fish eye lens moment where I'm screaming terrified. I can't remember if it was my nightmare or hers, but anyway, you have to shoot the scene. So I'm in a full like one bald and like fully committing to this like over the top nightmare, you know, terror scream.
Speaker 3: I can never figure out, because you have a lot of gorgeous hair, how do they make those look real?
Speaker 1: I'm always looking for the edge. Did it look real?
Speaker 6: It's yeah, it's crazy cool.
Speaker 5: I don't never see the scene here.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just this tight thing.
Speaker 4: I mean they wind your hair really tightly underneath, and there's i think usually like a layer of something that holds it in first like a wrap first, and then the actual bald cap. And then there's there's makeup that goes over it, that blends the seam, and and it's glued. It's glued on your face right around the edges, so it's glued to your face, and then makeup to cover the seams, and then to come off it's really like pulling it all off.
Speaker 3: So you have that sure, at least there in moment when you went this is good.
Speaker 4: I mean I did take a lot of pictures and send them to my family at the time, and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, holy pictures. You have to We're gonna have to fu I can find the shor hair.
Speaker 6: Mine's on screen too. It's not it's not hard to find.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But nowadays, you said, Court, you haven't changed your haircut.
Speaker 2: I always do kind of the same. Sometimes I'll do some highlights or something.
Speaker 6: But well I do.
Speaker 3: I'm I go short every few years and I go, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Why do I ever?
Speaker 3: And I think I see a cute picture. I think I'm too old for long hair. I have to get it cut short. And I do it, and I go why, Like at this point, I don't care. I'm more comfortable with longer hair. I just too, I think it's more flattering for me.
Speaker 4: I like the idea of wigs too, that you can like try something new without fully committed like I also, I dyed my hair blonde for a role like, oh, I think this person she was a reporter and uh it was. It was a naked city movie like the old film noir, sort of remake of it, Peter Bugdanovitch directed. And I was playing this like, you know, reporter, and I was like, she needs to be blonde and and and instead of.
Speaker 5: Just wonder, they wanted you to be now.
Speaker 4: I don't remember if it was just my idea of the character or if it was you know, mutual, but instead of just going, oh, I want to wear a wig and be blonde that way, I dyed my hair, which was a huge mistake because going from red to blonde nearly impossible to get all the red out, and so there was a couple of days there. It was like a few days of a process to get it to actually blonde, and in between, it's sort of like this apricot color. It's it's not red, it's not blonde, it's kind of pink and it's like an apricot. And it was really unfortunate and I was terrified, like, oh did it strip your hair?
Speaker 6: Oh it was trashed. I mean yeah, I had a really great hair color ass.
Speaker 4: Doing it, but it was just so many process scenes to get it.
Speaker 3: When I got Melrow's place, I had brown hair because I dyed it brown to get smart Girl rolls because it was like the you remember this daft because you got to play this smart girl. The smart girl was always brunette that the less smart girl was always blonde, and I wanted to play smarts blonde. I dyed it your color daft, really and like blonde wasn't good on you, it was terrible on me, Like I looked like death warmed over. I had to wear a lipstick. I couldn't couldn't look at a natural look as it just completely washed me out. So when I got on Melrose, I spent six hours at the Stewart. Remember it was a favorite of same as colorists in Beverly Hills. They sent me to Stewart, somebody six seven, eight hours in the chair of process after process, and then it's still in the first few episodes of Melrose, and even in this one, I still have like a strawberry blonde tint. We don't have any actual red in my real hair.
Speaker 4: As long as it's not apricot, because that's not strawberry. That's entirely it was.
Speaker 3: You should It was like I had red and blonde and brown. It was very brassy.
Speaker 4: I wish I had to picture of that apricot too, just to prove it to you.
Speaker 2: It's like, I believe it weird. Our producer pull some really fun photos.
Speaker 1: We should find something. But now.
Speaker 3: The fancy actors all do wigs like they don't even think of cutting or chang.
Speaker 1: Smart actors wigs. Well, you have to be smart because you.
Speaker 3: Have to be fancy, because you have to be they have to be willing to pay for a real hair wig, otherwise they just look terrible. Like there's right, yeah, for sure, all right, we'll find some.
Speaker 4: Good pictures just to uh, oh my god. Yeah, just to prove that we're not making these stories up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the worst, the worst and best haircuts.
Speaker 6: Can we make it a competition.
Speaker 1: I'm just say hand, I think I wore wigs. We had to work.
Speaker 3: There was a show where, for some reason I kept I wore this black wig that was like cut with a severe short cut to here. It was actually very pretty. I really felt like a different character.
Speaker 5: I could see that on you. Was that for a show?
Speaker 3: It was for a show, but it was it was like it must have been a fantasy sequence in a show.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what it was, daf I played a serial killer casually just casually sees serial killers.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was a serial killer. And when she killed, she wore all black because I guess that's what they do.
Speaker 1: I had a killing costume and it was all black.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, we'll find that picture too.
Speaker 1: Oh boy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say that everyone who wears a wig is a murderous.
Speaker 1: But it's still seeing a real theme here. Lord, did you ever play a murderer?
Speaker 6: I think I probably.
Speaker 4: I think Sidney was definitely attempted murderer. I mean she attempted a lot of I mean there was nefarious happening in our very show that we're it was adjacent to a lot of that sort of nefarious stuff.
Speaker 2: But weren't you digging Richard's grave?
Speaker 5: You and Josie was.
Speaker 4: We were trying to bury him Richard? Yep, after you did in self defense. I think that was self defense. I wouldn't call it like we so the.
Speaker 5: Very last episode.
Speaker 1: I love what you're saying. Yes, we killed somebody, but self defense.
Speaker 6: It was self defense and technically he didn't die.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was a great one. I don't remember what season that was, but comes out of the grave.
Speaker 1: We're getting there.
Speaker 3: We're getting there. That was when was really fun, so exciting. All right, I think we should come onto our next recap wearing wigs.
Speaker 6: I have to go look through my boxes of photos.
Speaker 3: I've got wigs for the dogs, which apparently is weird.
Speaker 1: And my friends, how many wigs is too many dog wigs to have? You've done more than I have.
Speaker 3: I think now I have five, which that could objectively maybe be too many dogs. So if we did our next episode, put up a picture of Georgie had a dogwig.
Speaker 4: All right, Yeah, Georgie should participate in our competition. If we do our next episode and we all just show up wearing a wig, or you canna wear a dogwig or a person wig.
Speaker 5: I'm not wearing a wig.
Speaker 3: I don't have a person think about that and then be clear.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: An app on the zoom thing, and I'll just put on a wig like a little thing you can do online.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you, guys, I'll watch out. I might actually show up wearing wigs.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, guys, Okay.
Speaker 6: To see you, very fun, See you soon.
Speaker 2: Bye.