Speaker 1: Welcome to Tech Stuff, a production from iHeartRadio. This season on Smart Talks with IBM, Malcolm Glabwell is back, and this time he's taking the show on the road. Malcolm is stepping outside the studio to explore how IBM clients are using artificial intelligence to solve real world challenges and transform the way they do business, from accelerating scientific breakthroughs to reimagining education. It's a fresh look at innovation in action, where big ideas meet cutting edge solutions. You'll hear from industry leaders, creative thinkers, and of course, Malcolm Glabwell himself as he guides you through each story. New episodes of Smart Talks with IBM drop every month on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Learn more at IBM dot com slash smart Talks.
Speaker 2: In the world of educational research, there is a famous video of a boy named Sean. I don't mean famous in a sense that it has a million views on YouTube. I mean that in the circle of people who think about teaching and how to make teaching better. The video has been written about in journal articles and shown over and again in college classrooms. It's a ten minute clip of a third grade class somewhere in Michigan. It was filmed in January of nineteen ninety, so the video is a bit grainy. The teacher's name is Deborah Lowenberg Ball. She's a professor at Michigan State University who is part of her research, teaches a one hour math class at a local elementary school on the day in question. Miss Ball begins by asking her students about the previous day's lesson, which was about even and odd numbers.
Speaker 3: I would like to hear from as many people as possible what comments you had, reactions you had to being in that meeting yesterday.
Speaker 2: A little boy with black hair raises his hand. His name is Sean.
Speaker 4: I don't have anything about the meeting yesterday that I was just thinking about sitting im.
Speaker 2: Sean was thinking about the number six.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that it's a it's an idd. It can be an odd number two because there could.
Speaker 5: Be two, two, four, six, two, three, twos and two threes.
Speaker 4: It will be an odd.
Speaker 5: Anthonytina three thinks make it takes me two things.
Speaker 2: And Sean doesn't understand what odd and even means. He thinks that just because you can break down six in an odd number of parts and an even number of parts. That six must exist in some magical middle category. And when you listen to the Sean videotape, you keep waiting for the teacher to say, oh, no, Sean, you misunderstand. But Deborahaul doesn't do that. She never tells him he's wrong. Instead, she simply asks him to explain his thinking.
Speaker 6: And the two things that you put together to make it were odd right, three and three of each old.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 2: Two bauld And asked the class to give their views. Other students jump up and explain their theories on the blackboard. For the next fifteen minutes, she definitely guides the class through an in depth investigation of what she calls shawn numbers until Sewn himself realizes that the real meaning of odd and even is something different than he had imagined. And now he gets it.
Speaker 4: I'm a thank you for winging in love.
Speaker 2: I don't want to focus just on how little Sean finally made his own way to the right answer. I'm interested in what his teacher did to get him there. Deborah Ball worked magic. She never told Sean the right answer. She just led him to a place where he could discover it for himself. My name is Malcolm Glawo. This is season six of Smart Talks with IBM, where we offer our listeners a glimpse behind the curtain of the world of technology and artificial intelligence. In this season, we're going to visit companies as varied as Lorielle and Ferrari and tell stories of how they're using artificial intelligence and data to transform the way they do business. This episode is about the promise of a radical new idea called responsive teaching, the kind of teaching that took place that day in Shawn's classroom, and whether artificial intelligence can help us train the next generation of teachers to be as good as Deborah Ball. Before we talk about how AI could transform the way we train teachers, I want to go back for a moment to the famous video of Sean. In the video, the teacher Deborah Ball doesn't have a predetermined plan that she's imposing on the class. She's improvising, making up her approach as she goes along, responding to her student's odd theory about the number six second. She's taking Sean seriously. She's not dismissing his theory. She's listening to him and trying to you understand the problem from his perspective. And thirdly, and most importantly, she's not force feeding him the right answer. She's being patient. She's waiting to see if with just the right subtle hints, he can get to the right answer on his own. Improvisation, empathy patients. That's responsive teaching.
Speaker 7: What I think about in terms of responsiveness is more like, I think that students need to have a sense of agency in what happens in the classroom, and like authentic agency where they can be legitimized as knowers.
Speaker 2: I spoke to a physicist at Seattle Pacific University named Amy Robertson, a longtime advocate for responsive teaching. She uses the Sean video in her classroom.
Speaker 7: You have to trust that kids have a way of doing that and that, like heard, what she mostly did was to facilitate a conversation and to say you have to listen to them talk.
Speaker 2: Told him he was wrong, that's right, and then he goes, He goes, I didn't think of it that way.
Speaker 4: Again, I thank you for ringing it alone.
Speaker 2: You've expanded my understanding. Thank you for bringing it up again. It's like this, I love I know.
Speaker 7: Responsive teaching, as I think about it, is kind of rooted in this like Eleanor Duckworth's work around the Having of Wonderful Ideas, where she says, like, the goal of education is for students to have wonderful ideas and to have a good time having them.
Speaker 2: I love that. I've never heard that. What a beautiful, succinct way of summing up the purpose of education. Yes, responsive teaching is beautiful. It's rare to find a new teaching idea that everyone loves. This is one of those rare ideas. Watching the Debora Ball classroom, all I could think was, I really really hope my daughters get to experience a math class like that. Far too many kids are convincing themselves at far too young age age that math isn't for them, and responsive teaching is a way to solve that problem. But here is the issue. It's really really hard to teach responsive teaching. Robertson says that teaching exists in a cultural environment where the teacher is expected to be the source of truth. That teaching is about the immediate correction of error and not letting a child wander down the pathway of their own misunderstanding responsive teaching is deeply counterintuitive, and the only way to understand its beauty is to do it over and over again. Aspiring teachers need a way to practice. For as long as there has been technology, people have turned to digital machines to solve problems. My father was a mathematician, and I remember him coming home in the nineteen seventies with a big stack of computer cards in his briefcase that he used to program the main frame back of the office. Today, with the rise of artificial intelligence, the scale and complexity of the problems technology can help us solve has jumped by many orders of magnitude. You must have worked with a with a million customers who are experimenting with ll m's Has there been one use case that you were like, WHOA, I had no idea? Or just simply that's clever. I'm speaking to Brian Bissel, who works out of IBM's Manhattan office. He helps IBM customers discover how best to get AI to work for them.
Speaker 8: There is one, but I don't think I can talk about it unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, you can't tease me like that, can you?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Disguise disguise it for me? Just give me a general.
Speaker 8: It was about the ability to pull certain types of information out of documents that you you wouldn't think you would be able to get the model to do, and be able to do that at a very large scale.
Speaker 2: Bissile's point was that we are well past the stage where anyone wonders whether AI can be useful. The real question now is what problems do we want to use it to solve Where it can make the biggest difference, and Basil saw lots of opportunities in education.
Speaker 8: I have two kids, one in middle school and one who just graduated high school, and I'm well aware of students using things like chat GPT to do their homework, and it's very easy to take tools like that and even IBM's own large language models and just take a problem, a piece of homework, something you want written, and drop it into that and have it generate the answer for you and the student. The user in that case hasn't done any work, they haven't put any real thought into it.
Speaker 2: To Basil, that's the wrong use of AI. That's technology making is dumber. What we really want is technology that makes us smarter. Basil explained to me that there are now two big tools being used for AI productivity, AI agents, and AI assistance. Let's start with the AI agents. AI agents can reason plan and collaborate with other AI tools to autonomously perform tasks for a user. Mis Will gave me an example of how college freshmen might use an AI agent As.
Speaker 8: A new student. You may not know how do I do with my health and wellness issue? So many the credits are going to get for this given class. You could talk to someone and find out some of that, but maybe it's a little bit sensitive and you don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: Missill told me you could build an AI agent, a resource for new students that helps them navigate a new campus, register for classes, access the services they need, and even schedule appointments on their behalf, which in turn buys them more time to focus on their actual school work.
Speaker 8: We can see patterns of how agents and assistants can help employees and customers and end users be more productive, automate workflows so they're not doing certain types of repetitive work over and over again, and streamlining their lives and making data more accessible to them twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 2: But Bissel says you can also use AI assistance in the education space. AI assistants are reactive as opposed to AI agents, which are proactive. AI assistants only performed tasks at your request. They're programmed to answer your questions, and as it turns out, AI assistants are now being used to further the responsive teaching revolution, which is why I found myself on a beautiful Georgia spring day not long ago, on the campus of Kansas State University, sitting in the classroom with two researchers, one of them Professor Dabe Lee. Let's go into the journey of building this thing. You started by taking a course. What was the course you took.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it was offered by Coursera. It was designed by IBM. It was AI Foundation for everyone.
Speaker 2: In her AI Foundation's course, Lee learned how to build an AI assistant using IBM Watson X. That course took how long to take it was.
Speaker 5: Not to know it was like fourteen weeks.
Speaker 2: Lee's idea was to train an AI assistant on classroom data to play the role of Sean, a digital persona of a nine year old who likes math but doesn't always understand math, and that AI assistant she thought could be used to train preservice teachers or teachers in training who are preparing to enter one of the most challenging professions in the modern world.
Speaker 5: So when you think about the teacher education and a major challenge that teacher education phase is that we need children to practice with. We need instructors who will give the instruction on the pedagogical skills. So when you look at the teacher education program, we have coursework in field experience, and in those two areas there is something missing all the time.
Speaker 2: Li says that pre service teachers often lack access to both students and experienced teachers during their education.
Speaker 5: So what we try to resolve is that we have this virtual student for pre service teacher to work with so that they can practice their responsive teaching skills.
Speaker 2: The first AI assistant Lee created is g wuji Wu, emulates the persona of a nine year old third grade girl. Then, with the help of one of her collaborators, a researcher at Canazon named Sean English, she created two more AI assistants, Gabriel and Noah, each of which have their own distinctive characteristics. So how are Gabriel and Noah different from.
Speaker 5: G Wu gabrielle My first one is very short answered. If you ask an open ended question, he will answer it in a close way. So I use that characteristic. And that's the problem that most teachers actually base. They're asked children who are shay, who are reserved, and who would not sure much of their thoughts. So we wanted that characteristic in some characters, and we use Gabrielle to have that characteristic.
Speaker 2: And Noah. What'snaah's personality?
Speaker 3: How do he playful? Cheery, bright and energetic?
Speaker 2: That's Sean English professor, Lee's fellow researcher, and jewuj.
Speaker 5: Is articulated and kind of smart, but she has her own way of thinking.
Speaker 2: I would end up spending a lot of time with Jeewu. She's something of a character. I asked Sean about the process of creating these AI assistants. What does building the content side of the AI assistant entail?
Speaker 4: Sean?
Speaker 3: It sets up a series of actions, effectively, which are response cases. You can kind of think of them as you have a series of questions that you tie to an intent, and then that intent has reactions from the bot, and so effectively, if we were looking to say, make a hello action, we would have all the different ways that people could say hello, Hello, what's up, how you doing, and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Sean says, the longer the list of potential responses, the better, But AI's responses don't just follow the list. The AI assistant uses those suggested responses to come up with a universe of other responses, and in that process sometimes it comes up with things that just don't make sense.
Speaker 3: And from a technological standpoint, while AI is a fantastic tool, AI can hallucinate, which means just give things that it's just straight up made up. There's a famous example of this called the three rs is where you ask a popular large language model how many RS are in strawberry, and it gives you the wrong answer, and he repeats that result repetitively. You always want to have a human interacting with the system to be able to go, hey, that's a little crazy. I don't think that's exactly what we're going for here.
Speaker 2: That's why it's good to have someone like Sean English around to step in and get the model back on track, and over time, when the model has enough training, it's ready for the teachers in training. One of the rollouts of Jiwu Gabriel and Noah was with the teacher training program at the University of Missouri.
Speaker 6: I was just kind of excited to see what the program was and what it was going to be doing.
Speaker 2: This is Logan Hovis, a junior at Missouri on the path to becoming an elementary school teacher.
Speaker 6: Obviously a little skeptical when he said it was sos to, you know, be like talking to a student. You're like, there's no way this AI thing is going to totally sound like a second grader or a third grader, Like it's going to sound like an adult, or it's going to sound like a robot that knows all the answers. And it really didn't. It really was like talking to a child. It was very very well developed in the way that you really said that and you feel like you're talking to a kid.
Speaker 2: Her point wasn't that jie Wu and her fellow avatars were equivalent to real kids. Of course not, but for someone starting out, someone who is already nervous about being plunged into a classroom of nine year olds, Jeewu was like a warm up before a baseball game.
Speaker 6: What I can think of is like, you know, how when you're at batting practice for baseball or softball, you have those automatic pitchers that throw them because you're working on your skill as the hitter. What can I do differently? What am I doing wrong? But that doesn't replace the game and what you do in a game. But this is you getting to practice your own skills to be better when you go in a game. And I think that's kind of what the AI software feels like for us.
Speaker 2: In batting practice, the pitches don't come as hard and fast as the pitch is in a real game, but you get to stand at the plate and the pitcher throws you dozens of balls over and over again in a concentrated block that allows you to work on your swing closely and carefully.
Speaker 6: There's a lot less stimuli going on around because the classroom is very very busy. It's wonderful, it's beautiful, but it's very very busy, so sometimes it's hard to keep you know, that focus in on the tasks that they're doing at hand, and also in the teacher setting, you're also kind of always looking around making sure that other students are doing what they're supposed to be doing, but also like if they need any help, if everything's going okay in the classroom, So being on the ji Wu chat, it was just nice that you didn't have to do any of the extra work to keep the focus on there, and it also felt you didn't have to feel the student's nervousness of being one on one with you. And also as a teacher, it was a lot less pressure too, because I was like, Okay, I'm taking this series. This is a student I'm questioning, but I also know I'm probably not going to hurt someone's feelings right now, and that's terrifying to think I'm going to ask the wrong question and upset the child because I've done that.
Speaker 2: We think that the typical use of AI as a tool for speeding things up. That's what we always hear that the introduction of AI to problem X gave an answer in minutes when solving problem X used to take weeks. But we shouldn't forget another use that it allows us to slow things down. Hovis, if she wanted to, could spend a whole weekend practicing with gi Wu. A real nine year old will get frustrated on board with the fumbling novice after ten minutes, but gie wuji Wu will happily answer questions for as long as it takes for the people who want to learn to be responsive to learn how to be responsive. At the end of my time at Kenesas State, Sean and Dabe led me to a small table where Dabe had set up her laptop. In the corner of the screen was a chat box of the sort we've all seen and used a thousand times. Ji Wu began. She had been given a math problem.
Speaker 4: A rule kodo who out of grude force? How half a flower? Okay? Do ball? Thanks? Another three? Six is cup? It's a total amount of flower the use greater or dan or a less than war cop how much flower can use?
Speaker 2: That's a simulation of gi Wu speaking. We pause it for a second. So Jiwu is trying to solve this problem. And the first thing she does is she draws a rectangle on the screen. This is a common tactic of nine year olds. Try to visualize the fractions. And she divides it into four pieces. And now she's gonna color in three of the four pieces. Yes, so she's representing. This is quite good. She's representing three quarters on the screen.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is three six.
Speaker 2: So now Jiwu does another rectangle with six boxes and colors in three of.
Speaker 4: Them, okay, together makes sikes come off.
Speaker 2: So then she counts up all the colored boxes and that's her numerator, and counts up the total number of boxes and that's her denominator. Ji Wu had counted the colored boxes and landed on an answer. When you add three quarters of a cup and three sixth of a cup, you get six tenths of a cup. So, according to ji Wu, Martin has less than one cup. And she thinks she solved the problem.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, so it's less than one cup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she says it's less than one cup. Now, oh my god, this is hard. So the question is what do I, as a teacher say to Jiwu. We were off. The rules were simple. I couldn't give ji Wu the answer or explain to her what she was doing wrong. I had to be Deborah Ble. I had to help her find the way herself. The chat box in the corner of the screen was waiting for my first question. I thought for a moment and started typing, do you think the boxes in the red rectangle are the same size as the boxes in the blue rectangle? Then I turned to Sean and Dabey is that a good question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seriously did Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Jewu doesn't mess around. She answers immediately. So Ju says, the blue and red pieces are not the same sizes.
Speaker 5: Oh so you understand now, gu knows that size differences.
Speaker 2: So she's pretty smart here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then I asked, if they are not the same size, do you think you can add them together? Jiwu answered right away. Ji Wu says, I have learned that I could add any numbers in grade two. So three p three is six and four to six is ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so she is using the knowledge of adding intiquers into adding fractures.
Speaker 2: Now I'm stuck. So now I have to somehow lead her to figure out a way to get her to understand that we're dealing with a different kind of problem, a harder problem. Amy Robertson had told me that learning how to do responsive teaching properly was really hard, and now I understood why. I had to put my mind inside the mind of a nine year old. I had to internalize her knowledge base and assumptions, and keep in mind, I haven't been nine for a very long time. I honestly had no idea what to say next. I thought for a moment, I asked what I quickly realized was a hopelessly convoluted question. Daby and Sean had built a mentor into the system, an experienced, responsive teacher who supervises the session and offers advice. My mentor noticed that I was struggling, told me to simplify my question. Grader Dabe was trying to help me too, She suggested, why not just ask ji Wu if three quarters is bigger or smaller than one half?
Speaker 5: So we are trying to help her to think about faction in a more conceptual way.
Speaker 2: This time, Jeewu understood. She wrote back, three quarters is larger than one half? I wrote back, is three six of a cup bigger or smaller than one half? Jewu said, I'm confused. Oh no, I've confused, gi Wu.
Speaker 5: It's good she's understanding. She's realizing her misconception. So she's getting confused.
Speaker 2: She says, I'm confused. Three quarters is pretty close to one, and adding three six would make it go over one. Oh, so she's got the answer. Yeah, But then she says, but there are six pieces out of ten, which is less than one, So I don't get it.
Speaker 5: So she's the point that oh this, I have something wrong here.
Speaker 7: That's a good sign.
Speaker 2: She's getting there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's getting there, but.
Speaker 2: I still have to get her. She has to get the six pieces out of ten out of her head. Yeah, I have no idea. I didn't do that, and she thinks she's confused when she has. Actually she's figured out the answer. Yeah she did. So we have advance. Even in my stumbling and bumbling, we've made some progress, very notable progress. My conversation with gie Wu went on for some time, and eventually I got there. Ji Wu found her way to the right answer. She said, I have more than one cup of flower. The mentor chimed in. I got a little emoji that made me feel good, And when it was over, I realized two things. The first was I needed more batting practice, much more, and that batting practice was really, really easy to do, because someone has gone to the trouble of building me my very own baseball diamond and given me a pitcher who had thrown me baseball's all day long. My second thought was that I've been thinking about AI all wrong. I have interpreted a lot of the talk about the promise of AI to be about replacing human expertise. I had actually thought when I first heard about Dabe's project, that that's what Dabe and Sean were doing, creating an AI to teach students by passing the teacher altogether. But if you did it that way, you had missed the magic of the classroom. Remember Eleanor Duckworth's quote, the goal of education is for students to have wonderful ideas and have a good time having them. I think we often focus on the first part of that formulation, the wonderful ideas, but neglect the second, the good time having them. Real learning is born in pleasure, in community, in playful discussion, in a group of kids coming together to solve a problem, And all of that magic only comes from human interaction from a teacher who is skilled enough to inspire a class of nine year olds. We don't want AI assistants to replace the teacher. We want AI assistants to help teachers turn themselves into even better teachers. Smart Talks with IBM is produced by Matt Romano, Amy Gains McQuaid, Lucy Sullivan, and Jake Harper were edited by Lacy Roberts. Engineering by Nina Birt Lawrence, Mastering by Sarah Brugerer music by Gramoscope Special thanks to Tatiana Lieberman and Cassidy Meyer. Smart Talks with IBM is a production of Pushkin Industries and Ruby Studio at iHeartMedia. To find more Pushkin podcasts, listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. I'm Malcolm Glapo. This is a paid advertisement from IBM. The conversations on this podcast don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategy, our opinions,