Speaker 1: What's that? Andrew? Oh hey, Gandhi, oh hey, what do you sound so happy?
Speaker 2: Just because you know it's another episode of sauce on the side.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's so misleading. So if people don't know you and they just hear you on the show, you sound like this happy. Oh my god, I'm so loving and amazing, and people who know you one get a different voice and two that's all I have to say about you.
Speaker 2: Well, what a lovely day it is. It's all Wednesday, folks. Welcome back this week is Joe Kim Booster. He's a comedian and has the new Netflix special Outstanding, and.
Speaker 1: I got to see a preview of it. It's actually pretty cool. It's all about the queer community and how stand up has worked for them, how they've worked with stand up, and how things have changed over the years. Are we allowed to say queer community because for some reason it feels like I shouldn't. However, that's the easiest way to refer to LGBTQIA. Plus that community, right is the queer community. And all of my friends who are part of it say queer community. They seem to have no issue with me saying it. But something about it feels weird, you know, like there are words that are not bad. Yeah, but then when you say it, you feel like you're saying it the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I get you.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Should I ask him? Or you think you'll get mad?
Speaker 4: Ummm? Let's try it.
Speaker 1: Do we know anything about him? Is nice?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Very nice?
Speaker 1: How do you know?
Speaker 4: Do you know him?
Speaker 1: What are you saying this stuff to me? I? Should we just get right to it.
Speaker 2: Let's get to it.
Speaker 1: Alright, he's here, let's go all right, Joel Kim Booster. I'm so excited to have you here. Thank you so much for having me, Thank you for coming in. I feel so honored because you have a lot of stuff going on right now. I just watched your stand up special on Netflix, which is a couple of years old, right, two years old. And I watched a documentary that you are a big part of, called Outstanding, which is perfect for June, all about Pride and it's about stand up comics.
Speaker 5: The history of stand up comedy. Yeah, yeah, from a lot of different angles. I am a very small part of that tapestry of our history, but I'm very honored to be included in the doc but yeah, really it's so comprehensive.
Speaker 4: It really covers everything from really like.
Speaker 5: The first like Robin Tyler legends, oh yeah, the first out gay person to have a late night stand up comedy set, and it goes all the way through my generation.
Speaker 1: And it was incredible watching the evolution and how much things have changed. But there was one line specifically that really got me. It was when Robin Tyler was talking about humor being an important part of the movement in general. Do we still feel that that's the case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think humor is still hugely important because humor is so disarming, you know. I think humor can really take a person out of themselves in a way, because you know, the sort of the genesis of a laugh is like surprise, you know, like it's it's an involuntary response.
Speaker 4: In a lot of ways. And I think.
Speaker 5: That's really helpful when you're trying to a sort of humanize yourself to people who might not see you as human and be change people's minds a little bit, or at least sort of get them into a headspace where they're willing to, you know, engage with ideas beyond their own.
Speaker 1: How do you feel it is right now navigating making other people laugh. Is it difficult?
Speaker 4: No, I listen.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's any more difficult than it has been in any other point in human history. I think that what's happened is there's a lot of things that have changed, Like the Internet has changed things, certainly. I think that there's a lot of people who are exposed to a lot of like, you know, memes have actually really changed comedy because it's there's a lot of like first thought, jokes are now disseminated as memes, okay, And so then as a comic, you go out on stage, you can't say the joke that has just been the circulated meme. You have to go a little bit ahead of where the audience is. That's the challenge of being a comic is you have to be ahead of the audience. If someone a lay person, say, can make the joke or has shared the joke on Twitter, then you have to make a better joke. I don't think there's anything off limits that you can say. I think you just have at the end of the day, it just has to be funny enough, and you're never gonna make everybody laugh, but you know what you have to worry about is the audience in front of you that night live on stage.
Speaker 1: Do you feel safe on stage for the most part, you know, Will Smith's lap, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle got attacked by that guy recently. I was watching somebody who got into a little Twitter war with someone else and left a comment about his three month old son. The guy showed up at the show and punched down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, listen, I listen. I've had a beer bottle thrown at me on stage. I've experienced heckler's. Luckily, I've never experienced a heckler when the rest of the audience wasn't on my side. It's usually just like one random crazy person or someone who you know didn't realize I was the one who's going to be performing that.
Speaker 4: Night, or a bachelorette party. This is my thing with that.
Speaker 5: I do not understand why you, as a bachelor lorette, would want to go on a night that is about you, that is all about you, would go to an event where it's actually about me. Now, babe, you know, like I get that, you want to be the center of attention, So go to a place where you can be the center of attention. Not where everyone else is literally paid to pay attention to someone else. It doesn't make any sense to me. But no, like every comic is going to experience and push back in some form or another, and you know, some of it's scarier than others. But I think that, like, I don't know, man, sometimes comics really like to like put themselves up on the cross and act like this job is way harder than it is. And it's just like, if you are funny enough, it's not going to be a big issue.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that bottle that got thrown at you. Was it in response to a joke or was it just drunk assholes in the it was?
Speaker 4: I mean it was a little bit of both. I was. It was in Vancouver, actually, which is one Canadian I know that can even supposed to be friendly.
Speaker 5: But no, it was clearly it was like these two like bikers and their wives. And this was at a point in my career too where I was headlining, but like I wasn't well known. This was people who had no idea who I was. They were just coming to the comedy club that weekend and these people just like clearly were not prepped to see someone like me on stage, and I remember they came out and like, within the first couple of minutes I sat, they were just like talking clearly, like not please. I at one point went over and interrupted them and I was like, I can't tell if you hate me because I'm gay or because I'm Asian, Like which.
Speaker 4: One is it? Like is it both?
Speaker 5: And just trying to like, you know, break the tension a little bit with that corner because they were talking in a way everyone in the audience could hear, and so their wives were immediately like no, no, no, no, no, we're not like that. We're not like that way. I promised to promise, I promise, but the husbands were giving very much.
Speaker 2: The thing we are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the rest of the audience was into it, but like it was so distracting and so finally I was like, you guys have to either head out or shut up. And that's when it all started. And then security had to come and as they were being you know, kicked out of the show, one of the guys chucked a beer bottle at me as he was exiting the theater and it was great. I mean it missed me by a long drive. I think, Thank god he had been drinking several beers that night. I think his aim was a little bit off the MLB. He is not primed for. But yeah, and then one of the security guys said, like, I'd be careful, they're waiting for you outside.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: Luckily though, the club was at the bottom of the hotel, so I didn't have to leave the club at all.
Speaker 4: I hope they didn't wait too long.
Speaker 1: So you were talking about people not being used to seeing someone like you, and you did point out you are queer and you are Asian? Is it South Korean?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, how did you get into comedy being Asian? Because I too am Asian South and you know that's not necessarily our forte. We're getting there, But how does this I have a feeling that somewhere some parents were disappointed. And I know you adopted by white people.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, my parents are evangelical, so they were adopted. They were disappointed for different reasons.
Speaker 4: Are listen.
Speaker 5: I started stand up like anybody else, started stand up like I started going. I did a one off show, tried it for the first time, did five minutes, did really well and got it, got hooked. And then you know, after that first time doing really well. There were many bombs that followed, but as I figured it out, but I just started going to open mics.
Speaker 4: I started in Chicago. I did the open mic scene there.
Speaker 5: I did some you know a lot of alt rooms there too as well as I was like figuring it out, and then moved to New York and dove right in.
Speaker 4: And you know, I was just like a lot of people.
Speaker 5: I worked like a fifty hour week day job, and then as soon as I was done at my job, I would go to the open mics, hit up as many open mics as I could until you know, midnight, one am.
Speaker 4: And then do it all over again.
Speaker 1: What was the day job?
Speaker 5: The day job I worked into so I was an early my first job out of college. I worked at groupon. Okay, I was like a temp. I started as a temp. I was like the seventy second employee of Groupon before you know, as they were getting huge. But it was also like really intense because you're working out a startup and so everything could.
Speaker 4: Fall apart at any moment. Health insurance, yeah, no, I mean that was the big thing is that I had.
Speaker 5: I was in such deep student loan debt and I had to and I had health issues that I needed health insurance for.
Speaker 4: So I was glued to my day job for so much longer than I wish I then I really wanted to be.
Speaker 5: I was paying more in student loan payments than I wasn't rent until I paid off my loss.
Speaker 1: Wild Yeah. So at this point now you've left a lot behind and stand up is one what you're doing. Obviously you're writing.
Speaker 4: Too, yeah, writing and acting and things.
Speaker 5: It's it's the weird like paradox of being successful as a stand up is the more successful as a stand up you get, the more you asked to do every everything but stand up.
Speaker 4: They're like, can you write? Can you act? Can you do this? Let's try this? You know, and it's funny you have less and less time for it.
Speaker 1: Do you like it?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, no?
Speaker 5: I love I love writing, I love performing, I love acting, I love stand up.
Speaker 4: I love it all.
Speaker 5: It's all different little parts of my brain. So it's nice to get stimulated in different ways.
Speaker 1: So you are part of a show called Lout.
Speaker 5: Yes, right, so lou It's a it's a comedy on Apple starring Maya Rudolph.
Speaker 4: I auditioned the part. The breakdown for it was like.
Speaker 5: Snarky, like gay Asian assistant from the Midwest, and I was like, well, if I don't book this, then I need to rethink my future in Hollywood. And it's funny because one of the creators of Lut, Matt Hubbard, had written on Sunnyside, which was a short lived NBC sitcom that I started in with cal Pen that was has the distinction of being the lowest rated premiere in NBC history. So I'm part of history, thank you very much because of that show. Matt wrote on that show and he worked with me and he saw me on that show and he was like, I really like that guy, like his vibe, and they sort of wrote the character based on my vibe. And it wasn't a sure thing, like I still need to audition, but it was one of those things where they were like, all he needs to do is nail this audition.
Speaker 1: So when you go to audition for roles, do you feel like it's tougher to get a main character as a queer Asian person versus you know, straight white whomever. Because I feel like when you look at a lot of TV productions, movie productions, there is diversity, but the diversity is always the sasy k friend no no, or you know, the diva attitude best friend. It's always the side character, not necessarily the main as much.
Speaker 5: That's absolutely correct, and I think that's why, like, you know, we talk so much about diversity on screen, but I think the almost more importantly the push should be for diversity behind the camera, because when you don't have diverse creators, diverse producers, diverse execs green lighting these shows, you're only going to be left with sort of these one dimensional side characters. And that's what we're going to be given, you know. And I think like for me, I wrote a movie called Fire Island that I started with Bow and Yang, and for me, that was a huge part of that was bone And I get called in all the time to be these like best friend characters or side characters or whatever, and rarely would we a get cast as leads and be get cast in a movie together because it's like, oh, to two Gaysian guys, Yeah, exactly, the position has been filled. And so I made a movie with actually four of us, you know, four queer Asian performers. And if I wait around for Hollywood to make a movie like this, a movie where I get to start with. One of my best friends, who happens to be check some of the same demographic checkboxes is me. I will be waiting forever, so I have to do it myself. I like that though, that diversity is almost the most important diversity to have right now.
Speaker 1: But back to you, because I'm fascinated by you. So you're adopted by two white parents in the middle of the country.
Speaker 4: Right outside of Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right outside suburbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. And is it true that they basically found out that you were gay because they read your diary?
Speaker 4: Yes? Journal, I'm a boy journal.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, journal, How dare I they read your journal? First of all, I have a question, where was that journal stash under the mattress? They looked under your map? Did they go looking forward or it was just.
Speaker 5: That she was My mom was absolutely looking forward, she claimed she was, and she claimed she was just cleaning my room. And I was like, how how messy was it under the.
Speaker 1: Mattress that you had to go under there?
Speaker 5: Because like at this point, I had been out for a year at school, and you also a little bit of background, like I was homeschooled until my junior year of high school.
Speaker 4: They sent me to public school.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was crazy. It's it's it's it's really isolating. It's strange. I mean, especially when you're in an uber religious household. You know, you're very everything is is, you're protected from everything, you're shielded from everything, you're held back from everything. And then they sent me to the public school, and it suddenly I have all this freedom, and it's like, you can't keep a sixteen year old under lock and key their entire life and then send them out into the world and not expect them to go a little crazy. Like within the first month of going to public school, I came out of the closet. I drank for the first time. I smoked weed for the first time. I hooked up for the first time. I did it all baby like. It was like every fear they ever had about sending me to public school, they were right.
Speaker 1: It's exactly how I picture it working. When somebody's homeschooled until they're sixteen or seventeen, or even if they go all the way through high school and then they go to college, I'm like, oh, this is about to get curged.
Speaker 5: Right exactly. I mean, yeah, normally you see that with kids who go to college. You know, for the first time they could sense that, like I was definitely living a double life. Like I and I you know, was very open outside of the home, and then I'd come home and I'd have to be this completely different person. And it was really I was. I was Handam Montana. You know, I was living a double life.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you that's actually very Asian South and East. I did the same thing. I still kind of do the same thing. The only thing that's ruined is now my parents can listen to the show, right and now they're like, what does that mean? What did you really do that. I'm like, damn it, go back to hating my job and not listen to anything. It was much better that way. So they were looking for it. We think they found it.
Speaker 4: I looked they were.
Speaker 5: They were definitely wanted to kind of confirm that, you know, I wasn't I was out there doing things that I don't know if they for sure, you know, suspected that I was gay. I mean, listen, it wasn't exactly a it was it was fairly evident. I would say it was like, you know, I read pretty gay, and I have since I was a child. But yeah, and they read my journal. I ended up moving out at seventeen, didn't talk to them again until I was in college, and it was it was a lot, But I will say the thing is that I'm grateful to them for is that, like I haven't taken a dime from my parents since I was seventeen, and that I think is probably the most formative thing about who I am as a person today. You know, we're you know, the relationship, we mended a lot of things over the years, sence, you know, this is a long time ago now. But the fact that I sort of, you know, said I don't.
Speaker 4: Need your support to do this.
Speaker 5: Is why I think I I attributed a lot of my success to that is because I know how to work, I know how to hustle, and I know how to take care of myself, and there was no safety net for me in this business. Like I was like, I have to be a success in this industry because there aren't any other options for me, Like no one else is paying my rent.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how this is not a TV show in itself. What do you mean with you?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 1: I mean your entire story growing up a queer Asian homeschool kid going to public school for the first time outside of Chicago. I mean, for the love of God that you.
Speaker 4: Know, it's funny.
Speaker 5: The first pilot I ever sold to Fox and then Comedy Central was very much about that part of my life life. And then it you know, again, diversity in the executive suite.
Speaker 4: It didn't end up going it developed. It was in.
Speaker 5: Development health for a long time, and then there were a lot of notes and then at the time it was like they already had an Asian show. You know, there is this mentality in the industry a lot of time that there can only be one. It's like one and done. You know, like why in the world, how could there possibly be more different experiences for an Asian person? You know, like we have the one experience already on the network. We don't there's certainly that has to be it right and shocker, there is a wealth, a plethora, a plurality of different experiences for our communities. And that is really the frustrating part about I think being in this position of being representatives of the community is like so oftentimes like these networks will like push out like me for example, and say like this is it, like this is your gay representation, this is your Asian representation, and that's what you get. And of course people are mad, Like people in my community get mad and they're like, I don't.
Speaker 4: Relate to this guy.
Speaker 2: You're not career.
Speaker 4: It's not this guy.
Speaker 5: Doesn't you know, represent me. He doesn't represent my experience. And they get and they focus their anger sometimes at me, which I fully understand. But the thing is is like you should just demand more.
Speaker 1: I say that all the time when people come to me to ask me anything about Indian culture, I'm like, listen, I have my answers, right, Indian culture is so vast and rich, and Indians in India will give you a different answer than Indians in America. And trust me, whatever answer I give you, they're all going to hate me for it. So let's just look at it as an individual instead of this like monolith. Yes, where you're all the same, you know all the answers, right, Oh my god, what do you do for Chinese New Year?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, So when something like that happens and you have the show, when you pitch it and then it goes away, is there a possibility for it to come back later or is it just direct I mean, yeah.
Speaker 5: Verse say never, it's it's always possible. I guess it's uh, it's rare. I mean it's funny. Fire Island like started as a Quibi project, if you remember Quibi r Ip I do, and then you know Quibi went the way Quibi went, and and then Searchlight bought the movie, so you know it can happen. I would definitely love to tell some version of that part of my life. And you know, I love to cannibalize my life for content, and you know, there's there's definitely a possibility down the road. If not, if not a TV show, you know, that's sort of the cheat is like I could just make it.
Speaker 1: A movie absolutely, So who would play you?
Speaker 4: Who would play you? Well, I don't.
Speaker 5: I think there's gonna need to be like a nationwide casting call. Okay, young Korean boys come out?
Speaker 1: Nothing about that sounds sketchy.
Speaker 4: No, not at all. Not to catch a predator at.
Speaker 1: All, to casting call young Korean boys.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I've trust me. I've fallen for that one before.
Speaker 1: Oh tell us tell us about I think you look young enough to play a young you?
Speaker 5: Well, no, I mean that is you know the amazing thing about being Asian is not you know, pushing forty, but on the CW, I could be a sophomore in college.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, or a fifteen year old school I watched Never Have I Ever, and I was like, wait a minute, Davy is like fifteen. Yeah, the guy who plays her love interest was thirty. I love this, and it was causing some conflict within me because I was like, I'm attracted to this boy who might be a high schooler, but he's thirty, so it's okay.
Speaker 5: It's this catch twenty two In the industry too, though, of like they're like, well, we have to cast somebody who has experience who's a name. But in order to have that experience and become a name, you have to get cast, and so we're stuck in this sort of like loop where it's like they're just aren't enough people of color that are names and have the experience.
Speaker 4: And it's like, because you're not.
Speaker 5: Casting enough people of colors who can then at the name and the experience, you know, So.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's this, it's this weird.
Speaker 5: Political maneuvering, like shoving through, you know, really fighting and like trying to get your you know, as soon as that door opens, you have to like rush for it.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed any uptick in people from Korea watching you, following you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a I have a fair amount, I think of Korean fans.
Speaker 4: I think. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Actually, I'm going back for the first time this year, which I'm really excited about. I haven't been back since truly I was born there, and I'm really excited to go and you know, see the place where I was born and really like see and engage with that culture because that I think for me as growing up in the Midwest, as in an.
Speaker 4: All white family in an all white town.
Speaker 5: I think when I was very young, especially, my parents were very open to me engaging with my birth culture, my heritage, and they were like, do you want to learn the language? Do you want to go to the Korean America in cultural Center and all these things. But when you are eight and you feel so different already, yep, and there's no I did not meet another Asian person my age until I was thirteen years old, and that fucks you up a little bit and you just want to feel normal. And so of course when they were like offering to, you know, get me Korean language classes, I was like, hell no, I just want to be like everybody else. I don't want another thing that will accentuate my otherness. And I really deeply regret that now as an adult, obviously, because I wish I had, you know. I mean, it's so much easier to learn a language when you're young, Yes, it is, but starting now, as I'm like trying to lunker in now, it's just like, oh my god, it's so hard. But like, yeah, it's It's one of my great regrets. And so I'm really, you know, excited to get to engage with my culture, my heritage in a real visceral way, you know, in my homeland.
Speaker 1: That's going to be amazing. I'm very excited for you to do this. How long are you going to spend there?
Speaker 4: A little over a week.
Speaker 5: We're gonna I'm going to be in Seoul and then I'm gonna I was born on Jaiju Island in Korea, which is such an incredible place. Jiju is like one's known because it's like one of the only places in Asia that for many years had a matriarchal power structure because the women drove the economy. There are Hanyo which are see women they free dove for like pearls and things, and women were better suited for that than men because of you know, physiology, and so the men would stay home and take care of the home and the women would work. And it's the site of the largest lead female the largest female led rebellion in history during the Japanese occupation.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I was born on an Amazon island.
Speaker 1: That's incredible.
Speaker 4: Like that, my whole life makes sense.
Speaker 1: Do you have any desire to or are you even able to connect with your wirth parents?
Speaker 5: No? I, you know, it's funny. I don't really have a strong desire for that. I did twenty three and meters to see, you know, Mike, My questions are are pretty practical. They're like, I would love to know if I have a history of X y Z medically in my family.
Speaker 4: You know, I would like to know. Am I going to go bold someday.
Speaker 1: And attack it now?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 5: I have a pretty hell yet air But I you know, so there's those questions obviously. But I love my parents, and I you know, we had our problems, but none of that. I it's so funny sometimes people when I talk about my you know, estrangement for my parents and some of the struggles that we had. They're like, you think it was part of part of it was being adopted, and I'm like, absolutely not. My parents never, never, once did I have a complex growing up about feeling different. My brother and my sister are actually biological to them. I was the only adopted kid in the family, and I never felt different. I never felt treated differently, I never felt loved differently. I don't feel incomplete in that way. And for me, especially like I'm just sort of like Korea, Steph.
Speaker 4: Korea is a very.
Speaker 5: Conservative country, a very Christian evangelical country, and a part of me is just sort of like I had one set of parents that was deeply religious that did not handle me being gay very well. I don't necessarily need to go and do that again in a language that I cannot communicate it.
Speaker 1: They just be talking all this about you, and you're like, what am right? Hello?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I mean, if it ever happened, if they found me, if it were easy. Also, the adoption agency my parents use is shuttered, so I have no idea where i'd even begin to look.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about outstanding a little bit. So hopefully by the time people hear this, it will actually be out because I got to preview it.
Speaker 4: When is it out out June eighteenth?
Speaker 1: June eighteenth? Oh, so they're still going to have to wait a minute because this is coming out Wednesday. Okay, so June eighteenth on Netflix outstanding. Yeah, I like getting ahead of it instead of being behind it. This is wonderful.
Speaker 4: Well lucky you got the screener.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know I did. I was like, oh wow, just popped up in my Netflix account. This is cool. If they are not able to see that just yet, because this is going to be out on June twelfth, June twelve, so six days out. They can still watch your stand up on Netflix also, which is psychosexual. I have some questions for you about psychosexual.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: You were talking a lot about the dick pic.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It hit me for the first time because if we talk about dickpics all the time, and I'm like, on what planet is somebody sending me a picture of their dick that I did not ask for? This is crazy? Is it very different with gay men versus straight women? Because you were just like, yeah, I just sent a dickpic and.
Speaker 4: It's a good no.
Speaker 5: I mean obviously, like when it's all men, it's going to be grosser then.
Speaker 4: You know when when it's not.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I definitely get my fair share of unsolicited dick pics. I don't send many unsolicited dick pics. I think there's like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, so many perhaps sent one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've sent them. The thing is is like, like, what is solicitation for a dick pic? You know?
Speaker 1: Sometimes I feel like it would be like, hey, you send me a pictureiation.
Speaker 5: Of like I think for some people's lines are very different, Like I don't ever, I often don't need to say, send me a picture of your dick. I say something coded that is, you know, the note behind the note is sent.
Speaker 1: What is the code?
Speaker 4: Dick? Hey? How are you? You know?
Speaker 1: That's what it feels like. I swear what it feels like. On Instagram, somebody will just be like, hey, you're like, hey boom dick WHOA I didn't know, so now that I know the code, you can't say no.
Speaker 5: It's always a gamble and I and that's why I, you know, try to not do.
Speaker 4: It, you know. And now it's based on like you know, grinder or something like that.
Speaker 1: Though it's like it's a whole different where it's only torsos and dicks anyway. Okay, but you probably get them all the time.
Speaker 4: I get a fair share.
Speaker 1: Not enough, he says, not enough. If you would like to send him your dick, please do it right now. How do you respond to it? Do you respond to it?
Speaker 4: Well, it depends.
Speaker 5: I have a pretty I don't engage with a lot of my dms. I actually, you know, truthfully, I don't really look through my DMS a whole lot because you know, the the more followers you get, the crazier.
Speaker 4: Yes, the dmskid.
Speaker 1: I so what I do when people send this Most of the time, I will not engage if it's something egregious where I'm like, you're on the toilet, why would you send me that from the toilet? There have to be rules about the dick pic also like etiquette to it toilet. If it's in your picture, don't send that one. I will send them back someone else's dick. The response is out of control. People are so offended. Why the fuck would you send me a dick? And I think, mm, different, right, why would you send me a dick? It feels weird, right, it's.
Speaker 5: So funny because your impulse is exactly my impulse when I get a dick pic.
Speaker 2: Damn you, but you actually.
Speaker 1: Cool, so we know not to send you dickpics. Don't fight with you in your DM No don't oh no no, send the dick pics. You just might not get a response.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just might not see it, you know, for a long time. You know. It's usually like the only time I will like.
Speaker 5: Sometimes go through my DMS is when I'm like a little fucked up waiting in line for the bathroom at like a party or something like that.
Speaker 1: Mine's usually at the airport waiting to board a flight or if there's a delay. That's what I'm like, Oh, I got time today, Let's see what's going on with this? Do you only respond if there's a face or have you ever just gotten back to a regular you know?
Speaker 5: Uh, the level of engagement will not be as how do I put this, Like if it's wants a nice stick out of context of the rest of the person's body, like I'll be like, hey, nice one, you know, but like I'm not going to be like come over or anything like that, Like I need more info for you to get you know, I'm only going to be able to comment on what I see, you know, and if you want the full comprehensive experience, I'm going to need a full comprehensive photo too.
Speaker 1: You know, are you ever nervous about your pictures getting out?
Speaker 5: They already have, they have like a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Say that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And my only peppieve about that is listen, like it's fine. I look great in most of them.
Speaker 1: That you hate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, but like my only the big thing that pisses me off is that they still circulate to this day, like they pop up online continually, but like they're all from like twenty seventeen, and I'm like, my god, do I look different?
Speaker 4: I look so much better now and.
Speaker 5: I and I still and I sent out my current nudes.
Speaker 1: And they won't get out, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Why aren't these ones getting leaked? Like it's getting to the point where I'm about to leak that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you can always do it yourself.
Speaker 5: It's so frustrating, sor but it is, like it's it's upsetting and violating, and I, you know, don't love it. I'm very lucky that I am a man, and b I'm in an industry, and I sort of like my brand as a comedian.
Speaker 4: You know, I talk about sex so much. It's not it didn't hurt me.
Speaker 5: Professionally necessarily in the way that it might hurt someone else professionally. Sure, I don't love it, but you know I'm silver lining is that I am a dude, so I'm not judged as harshly for it. I'm not as like slutshame for it, and I am in entertainment, so it's sort of like.
Speaker 1: It's only a help me out exactly. The good thing is with Ai now, I feel like if anything gets lead, she can just be.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, no, that's not me, that's not me.
Speaker 1: You can't prove it's me, that is not me. I have no idea what you're talking about. Moving right along. Has this impacted your social life, your personal life getting into standard No? Oh, I guess both.
Speaker 4: No, yeah no. In my twenties, I like, I'm in a relationship now. I I've been in a relationship for three years. I'm deeply, deeply in love.
Speaker 5: We're probably gonna get married pretty soon. But like, he's my first real serious relationship that I ever like invested the time in and have done the work with because I was working, you know, forty fifty hours a week at a day job and then doing open mics all night long and then shows on the weekend, you know, so I didn't have time. I was so career obsessed for so long until my early thirties that I didn't have time for a relationship. So in that way, stand up definitely affected my dating life because I was just like, no time for boys. And I think there was a lot of mentality for me too, where I was like, let me just like roll through all these guys, like, have all these hookups because I need the material.
Speaker 1: You got so much of it. That's actually great. This is all research for my job's that's what I say about my Google searches if and when the police come to shut it down.
Speaker 5: And it's always so funny when I hook up with a guy now and they're like, oh, I hope this doesn't end up and your act, and I'm like, the only way it will is if you get weird, okay.
Speaker 4: Like be normal, and I won't have anything to write about.
Speaker 1: You can weaponize it. This is so great. I really appreciate you spending some time with me today. This has been great. And en Lightning again. Outstanding is out on June eighteenth on Netflix on Netflix, and Your Special is already out on Netflix. Also Psychosexual Jowelkin Booster and if people want to watch Loot, that's on Apple Teams.
Speaker 4: Apple TV, and Fire Island is on Hulu.
Speaker 1: You have a lot going on.
Speaker 4: I'm the king of streaming.
Speaker 1: What's up next?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What's up next? For me?
Speaker 5: My next movie is actually set up a Searchlight who produced Fire Island is producing my next movie that is in very early stages right now, pre production and can't give any like release dates or anything like that yet. I'm performing in Chicago the fourteenth and fifteenth at the Den Theater. I believe there are some humiliatingly, there are still I believe like a handful of tickets left for both of those shows.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, let's move on right now. How can people get the tickets?
Speaker 5: You can visit look up the Den Theater online and you will find tickets to my show.
Speaker 1: What in a Dream World? Because I feel like you need to call it out right now, a dream world? What is your dream project?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: And what does the next year or two look like for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, you know it's A weird thing is in the last couple of years, like I set all these goals for myself in like my twenties that felt like unrealistic and crazy, and then I ended up.
Speaker 4: Like it happened for me like probably.
Speaker 5: So I've spent like the last couple of years like trying to figure out like, oh my god, I spent my entire life with these dreams, these goals, and now here they are so like what's next? And for me, I just want to continue to make stuff, you know, like I am really excited about this next movie. I want to continue to do stand up until I have, you know, nothing interesting left to say. And I really want to make a TV show. I would love to write a show that I you know, am writing, starring, and eping. I want I want to be this array, you know. I want to be Phoebe waller Bridge into Dunham. I want that, the whole three hat experience.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I'm excited for you to get that, and I'm really excited for you to go to Korea. Thank you for I think it'll be great. Thanks for spending some time with me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Joel Kim Booster. Okay, interesting. I feel like I got a lot of info about Dick pics, and clearly he still wants you to send them even though he is in a relationship and getting married maybe soon, I know. I bet they have a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I will say, hearing his background of growing up in an evangelical white household adopted from Korea, that's like, how how.
Speaker 1: Did that show not take off?
Speaker 2: I don't understand, completely agree with you. It's like, sitting right there.
Speaker 1: Stringing those words together, I was like, well, this is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yes, home school right when they teach you up until up until junior year of high school too.
Speaker 1: And then at what point junior year of high school at a school outside of Chicago, were you like, this is the time, right, send this kid off right now? What could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 2: Because junior year, I feel like, is where things start picking up, Like you're getting ready to go to college.
Speaker 1: So you're driving, people are fucking well, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Junior year was wild, That's what I'm saying. And so it's crazy that that was the age I guess that his parents were just like, if there was ever a time, go now exactly.
Speaker 1: And then they found his diary under a mattress. I'm sorry, journal. What difference isn't it's the same thing. Are there like genders for the yes, okay, journal is male? Diaries female.
Speaker 2: Don't you remember the advertisements for that nineties product. It was like the the one where they had like the password protected one. It was like password protected diary and it was like for girls, yes, okay, but they had the journal one for guys and it was like more secret agent either, like keep your notes private, but the girl it was like story your guns here, but the girl one it was like, do you like want to talk about Bobby in your own private way?
Speaker 1: Did you have a journal or a diary when you were little? Never?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: Really, I still have them all, like all kinds of different ones. So one I write every day, I write one thing that made me laugh and something that I learned.
Speaker 2: I loove that.
Speaker 1: So that's like sort of my journal. Every now and then I'll var off the path. I'm sorry, sorry, my diary. I am a she her the diary is as well. I veer off the path and I'll talk about other things. But when I was little I had mad diaries, and yeah, we found one of them. It was very bizarre the timing of it, where my mom gave it to me. It was my diary from seventh grade. I fucking hope she didn't read it because I have a lot of shit about them in it. But I was also in seventh grade, so can you break? But she gave it back to me and I'd come home, come back here. And when I came back here it was like National Diary Day. Randomly, and Nate said, hey, does anybody have a diary on them? And I was like, you know what, I know, it's my seventh grade diary. He said, just flip it open to a page and start reading. I flipped it open to a page and the page I flipped it open to was me talking about how much I hate my current boyfriend Brandon because he was evil to me back in the day. To be fair, according to my diary, I was also evil. I was reading some of the stuff. I was like, oh my god, mutual combat, there were allegations of racism, there were so much burn book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, burn him, YEA, burn him in your diary.
Speaker 1: I actually I have someone to burn today. Who your friend Scott Scottie. First of all, he's been on.
Speaker 2: Edge lately, very on edge.
Speaker 1: No one knows what's going on with him.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: The man is bonkers, crazy bonkers. Yes.
Speaker 1: Second of all, he contacts me for every hangnail or bump into a door, like he thinks that every injury, which is not even an injury, it's just a minor inconvenience, is a huge issue and it's going to take him to the hospital. He sends me pictures of a scratch, a scrape, whatever. I will say. That is a step up from when he used to send me his belly button lint in photo. Exactly.
Speaker 2: Nasty arrest. My favorite was sorry not to cut you off on that line, but when he had like a stomach ache or something and then he took a picture, he did the IV pick sent me a picture from his bed with the IV and was like, it's not funny anymore, dude. I was like, so you're dehydrated, you tummy ache. Get real. The man is absurd.
Speaker 1: So recently he allegedly broke a toe o and then he was powerwashing outside and he like power washed off part of his foot, which I'm not gonna lie. The picture looked a little painful. But he's posting these pictures of his foot online. He sends me a text message. He was like, do you have any idea how many people have told me not to post my feet for free? And I was like, oh, yeah, I started an only fans page. I'm gonna post all feet picks all the time. He asked me, can I guess on your only fans page? I said sure, why not seventy thirty split? He came back and said no, sixty forty. I said no, eighty twenty And you know what he said, I'm out. I didn't invite you to be in. You volunteered yourself up to be in it, negotiated like shit with me, and then tapped out of a project. I did not invite you to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Could I be sixty five thirty five eighty twenty sixty five thirty five.
Speaker 1: Eighty five fifteen?
Speaker 2: What sixty five thirty five?
Speaker 1: Maybe I have to see your feet? A lot of guys are trying to get in on this powe. I got big feet.
Speaker 2: I got big feet, and I could pick things up with my feet.
Speaker 1: Can you pinch?
Speaker 2: I can?
Speaker 1: Can you crush?
Speaker 2: I can?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Do you want to see?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh, he's busting it out so that's my foot.
Speaker 2: Oh see, notice they're not too harry. They're a little hairy, they're not that harry. Okay, okay, that's a nice looking foot.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Oh, I dropped my sock. Let me just and he picks you. I don't know what else they need to do pick pick this.
Speaker 1: Up, gets actually away from me. Okay, okay, maybe I will maybe have you guessed sixty five thirty five? Is that smaller foot?
Speaker 2: It's a little musty.
Speaker 1: Probably you can sell those socks on craigslist. Okay, maybe maybe if that's what you're working with, maybe we might fetch a price. But pet the girl's dad so that he made so much money doing OnlyFans in a year and a half that he bought a ranch upstate that has like hundreds of acres, hundreds of animals, And I just think there's money to be had. I'm in people like feet, and the biggest disposable income, apparently on OnlyFans, where you're gonna catch the most bait is gay men. So I'm gonna have to have some guys because these gay men not interested in my feet?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Straight men? Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, if they're only showing feet, how would they know.
Speaker 1: You've seen my feet.
Speaker 2: They're dainty, they're very little. They definitely have diaries.
Speaker 1: To say, these feet are writing in a diary, not a journal. So I have to I have to lure some men to the page. So I'm gonna use your feet, Brandon's feet, maybe Scottie's, but I don't know because I don't know if he's really invited to the page.
Speaker 2: Sixty five thirty five. Again, that's all I ask.
Speaker 1: I think this could really take off for.
Speaker 2: Us if you're telling me right now that I can make a quick three fifty just from taking a picture of my feet. You just tell me day in time.
Speaker 1: If people ask you to start doing weird things like do you where do you draw a line? What won't you do with your feet?
Speaker 2: Uh? Oh okay, uh yeah.
Speaker 1: My line is I will not kill something that is alive, like stepping on bugs.
Speaker 2: And that's the only fans.
Speaker 1: That's a thing people. It's called like crushed porn, where you like crush things like a goldfish. I will never do that. I would never do only fans. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like they wouldn't allow that because it's like animal torture.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I've heard of it, and I'm not going to step.
Speaker 2: On that stuff. I had people tell me that this is a thing doing some research.
Speaker 1: I might have heard of it, and I was like, oh, absolutely not a penn research. Sure I will crush a cake, yeah, like a goldfish. Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Bugs are not my forte. I am terrified of bugs.
Speaker 1: I save them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly, not say I don't, but like, I'm not going to step on a roach with my foot. It's disgusting. Okay, we're not. We're not making that.
Speaker 1: I bet there's a market for gagging while.
Speaker 2: You're doing something with your feet.
Speaker 1: Probably it's a weird place out there.
Speaker 2: Andrew, well, listen, let me just tell you something hot summer days. My shoes. I'll sniff my own show and gag.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, stop, I'm gonna pick. I told you about this before. My friend Mike from Boston decided he was going to side hustle for a second and he started selling his socks on Craigslist. And he's definitely a sweaty person, so he decaid he's going to sell these socks. So he meets up with this guy he said he ran around all day, got him extra nasty and like soaked, puts him a go ahead gag because he puts them in a bag and gives him to this guy off Craigsli's seventy five dollars for a pair of use socks. That's amazing. The guy contacted him later and told him I want my money back because these are not nearly as nasty as what I was promised. First of all, I promise you, Mike, socks were disgusting. Second of all, can you request a refund from something like that?
Speaker 2: No, I'm really not right. Yeah, it's not like you're giving someone a receipt. Thanks so much for going to my sweaty sock.
Speaker 1: Depot, right, like I guaranteed to make a pew.
Speaker 2: My one friend's boyfriend is on OnlyFans. Oh and he's making so much money?
Speaker 1: Does he take out his dinner?
Speaker 2: So charges a entry fee that's just to get on the page. Okay, Then for each additional thing he up charges so, oh, do you want the dinger pick that's going to be an extra fifty Yeah. Oh you want this that's gonna be an extra hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he whips out the dinner, yes, okay, but.
Speaker 2: For the extra money. So then it's like the forty Bucks is like a tease, but you want the picks tea. It's like his balls. Yeah, or maybe it's like blurred out a little bit, like.
Speaker 1: Well, get the answer right now. I think we should get to the asking anything.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me get it, hold on, okay, yeah. This question comes from Cubert six ' four to two. They ask, and this one's fun, what's your favorite color?
Speaker 1: We already did this, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay. This one asks what's your favorite food?
Speaker 1: Have to pick like an actual, like one specific thing or can it be a cuisine?
Speaker 2: This is your desert island food?
Speaker 1: Can I say Indian food?
Speaker 2: So okay? I actually had this argument not to take over please, but we at a dinner I was at. The person said potatoes is number one as a favorite food. I'm like, is this like.
Speaker 1: Like just at like you're on a desert island.
Speaker 2: He's trying to make it sound like potatoes are multifaceted? Are they could become French fries, potato chips if you have a fryer, this what I said. But I said potatoes as a whole are his favorite food? Thoughts.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't argue with someone that tells you that's their favorite food. That's his favorite food.
Speaker 2: But Greek food came in at number three, so I was confused. Ice cubes were also in there.
Speaker 1: I'm now I'm totally thrown off.
Speaker 2: No, it's a very odd top ten.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm saying, Like, is it cuisine, because if it's cuisine, I would definitely pick Indian food second tie.
Speaker 2: I love it. I know, Oh my god, I could go for some red curry right now.
Speaker 1: Shall we go get it for lunch? We should probably go over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Number two. If it's just like one item, I could see potato, but you would have to be able to cook that in all the different ways, and I don't think on a desert island you can cook it. But also, is it your favorite food or your desert island food, because those would be different too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean for me, it's like a potato is good, but it's not as good as like bread. Bread's always going to be for me higher than a potato.
Speaker 1: Mm, both carbs. I think if it was a desert island food, I'd have to go with fish.
Speaker 2: So fish is your desert island food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like there's so many different types of fish. I don't fucking know, but it seems like you could really cook it well on a fire, like a campfire, get some flavor.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know. Okay, this is tough for me. I think I'm going bread bread. I could one hundred percent like the prisoner diet, like sometimes this is one of my favorite snacks and it sounds terrible. I love pretzels and water. It is a true prisoner's diet.
Speaker 1: Like you dip one in the other is done. It picks it back and forth.
Speaker 2: I'll quickly crunch a pretzel and then drink some water and be like, m yeah, that's the right stuff.
Speaker 1: You're disgusting. Diamond Andrew just said that his favorite jail snack pretzels and water.
Speaker 3: Andrew is literally a lunatic. I don't understand why I'm shocked. I shouldn't be, but pretzels and water. If I went to jail, I'm meaning everything that they have allergy list included, because then they'll send me to somewhere where like.
Speaker 1: Special people are.
Speaker 3: Probably I won't be in gin pop with the losers.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite food and then we're gonna wrap it up pizza?
Speaker 2: Hm cool?
Speaker 1: So kind of like Italian, but not really, is that your desert island food. No, because we're thinking of sustenance.
Speaker 3: So maybe like a cheeseburger, because it's hardy to like beef a steak, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I feel like that would get you high cholesterol, whereas like pizza, you could put some pepperoni or something all theregie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it doesn't have a veggie tomatoes or veggies.
Speaker 1: Oh, cheese burger, I think they're fruits.
Speaker 2: Whatever is this what this episode is about?
Speaker 1: This episode has been all over the place. Well, yeah, look at the guy. Listen, guys, we gotta get Josh. He said he was gonna do it. Of course, it's sick right now again, but he told me it's not from the thing that he got him sick for all of November. It's on something else. Well, stay blessed, Stay blessed, everybody. Okay, we're gonna sign off. Everybody, say bye bye. Oh I forgot to say catch Andrew at Andrew Pug on Instagram, Diamond and at Diamond Sincere on Instagram. I'm at Baby Hot Sauce. We'll see you guys next time. Okay, now say bye bye.