Speaker 1: This is Lee Habib, and this is our American stories, the show where America is the star and the American people up next. Doctor Theodore Schwartz his book Gray Matters, a biography a brain surgery. You wrote these words in your book about your parents. From my father, I realized there was a lot going on in the brain about which we were unaware. My mother's war experiences lent an air of gravity to my childhood, a sense that no matter how well things were going, tragedy lurked around every corner. Sounds to me like your mother and father had a lot to do with who you were talk about that.
Speaker 2: I was born on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City. My father was a Freudian psychoanalyst, so I grew up in a very intellectual household.
Speaker 3: He used to spend his weekends.
Speaker 2: Listening to classical music all day long and rereading the works of Freud and Shakespeare, and was just a very thoughtful, curious man. My mother was a Holocaust survivor, where I grew up in the Jewish faith, and she was born in Vienna and lost her sister at a very young age to meningitis, and then at age twelve, when Hitler marched into Vienna, she was kicked out.
Speaker 3: Her father's store was closed.
Speaker 2: And she spent the next five or six years running away from the Germans and ended up hiding in a convent in Belgium, changing her name to Simon Mabier from Mars Schwartz, speaking French from her original German, until she eventually came to America. She met an American soldier and moved to Kalamazoo. Michig again lived as a Christian in America for a little while and realized that wasn't really.
Speaker 3: Who she was.
Speaker 2: I think she was trying to forget her past, and then eventually moved to New York and met my dad, who was a psychiatrist at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. I think we're all influenced by our environment, and so writing a little bit about my parents and how they may have influenced me, it's hard for us to know what those impacts will be, right. My brother grew up in the same household that I grew up in and grew up into a very different human being than I am.
Speaker 3: He's a lovely human being, but very different.
Speaker 1: We talk a lot about turning points in people's lives on this show, and you had a serious one in high school. Talk about the woman trapped into her car by snowplows, and how did that experience affect you, talk about its impact.
Speaker 2: So I was walking to school one morning in high school, probably you know, a junior, maybe I was fifteen, sixteen years old. And in Manhattan, when it snows, the snowclouds come by to plow the roads and the streets, and all the cars are parked on the side of the streets. And so when the snow clouds do that, they basically box in all the cars. Who now have you know, a foot two feet, three feet, sometimes four feet of snow boxing their car in, And it can be very challenging to get your car onto the road in the morning.
Speaker 3: And so I was walking to work and there was a woman who was.
Speaker 2: Stuck, and you know, her wheels were spitting, and the snow was flying everywhere, and it was just slush at this point, and she could not get her car out onto the road. And I saw that she was in need, and I dropped my knapsack on the ground and I ran over and started pushing her car to help her free herself. And she got out and she waved to me and said thanks, and drove on with her day. And I'll never forget that moment because I just felt so good about myself that I had helped somebody in need who didn't know who I was, and I didn't know who they were, and I wasn't getting anything but a thank you from them, but it meant so much to me. And I left that experience thinking, Wow, I really want to do a job where I get to help people every day and they'll say thank you.
Speaker 1: Before we talk about what it's like to be a brain surgeon, let's talk for a moment about what it takes to become one who chooses this line of work. You separate them into a few categories, talk about the character traits, talk about the types of people who choose your line of work.
Speaker 2: I tried to think back on the different personalities that I know neurosurgeons that I know, and I kind of created categories that are sort of like the lunch room tables in a high school, where you have the nerds and the jocks and the musicians, and those are, in fact people who go into neurosurgery for different reasons. So some are nerds they're interested in neuroscience that work in labs. Some are athletes who like to be the center of attention. Neurosurgery is a very physical activity and you need a lot of stamina, you need a lot of focus. It's a manual task where you're affecting the world around you. So there are a lot of athletes that go into neurosurgery. And then there are also musicians who love to practice their instruments.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of manual.
Speaker 2: Dexterity and surgery which is the same as many instruments that people play.
Speaker 3: And the ability to sit and practice your.
Speaker 2: Instruments for hours on end translates very well into neurosurgery. And every surgery we do is like a performance, you know, we have to perform. And then there are also people touched by neurosurgery. And there are quite a few neurosurgeons who had a parent who died of a brain tumor or an aneurysm, or who maybe their parent was a neurosurgeon and they didn't see them.
Speaker 3: That much or they shadowed them around the hospital. But those are the.
Speaker 2: Trends that I've seen. And as for myself. I was definitely a little bit of a nerd, you know. I was reading astronomy books when I was in high school and wanted to be an astronaut. But I was also an athlete. I played on the football team, and I was a musician. I played bass in the jazz band. So I definitely had a little bit of each one of those elements. And my dad was a psychoanalyst, so he got me interested in the brain and memory and how the brain works.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to doctor Theodore Schwartz. He's the author of Gray Matters, a biography of brain surgery. He's also an attending neurological surgeon and professor of neurological surgery at wild Cornell Medicine, one of the busiest and highest ranked neurosurgery centers in the world, located in New York City. And the story about his mom alone could have been a movie now. The fact that she escaped Nazis for years, wound up in Holland, learning how to speak French to disguise her accent, disguise her German and Jewish background, ultimately marrying someone Christian and moving to the Midwest, only to discover who she really was, discovering her identity and ending up married and in New York to a second husband, and my goodness. We learn also about the turn point in doctor Schwartz's life, and it's that woman caught and trapped by the snowplows in New York City and how he felt afterwards. I didn't know who they were, they probably didn't know who I was. But that feeling he got, that's what well propelled him into the life he chose in the end, the feeling he must get to help a stranger when we come back more of the life of doctor Theodore Schwartz here on our.
Speaker 3: American Stories.
Speaker 1: Lieh Habib here, and I'd like to encourage you to subscribe to Our American Stories on Apple podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or wherever you get our podcasts, and a story you missed or want to hear again can be found there daily again, Please subscribe to the Our American Stories podcast anywhere you get your podcasts. It helps us keep these great American stories coming. And we return to our American Stories and doctor Theodore Schwartz, author of Great Matters, a biography of brain surgery. Go to Amazon and the usual suspects to get it. You won't put it down, you won't be sorry. Let's pick up where we last left off. We talk about failure a lot on this show, and you write about it in your book. Talk about how neurosurgeons learn and what role failure plays in your learning curve.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, in neurosurgery, you know it's a seven year training program for a reason, right, and when you start out you don't get to do that much. You're basically an assistant. But the truth is the public wants their neurosurgeons to When you emerge from a neurosurgery training program, you can basically hang your shingle and you are credentialed to perform brain surgery on your own. So the question is how do you teach someone to perform brain surgery on your own? And at the same time, when you're a patient, you do not want anyone practicing on you, and so you have to somehow give these trainees graded responsibility in a safe way, letting them do slightly more in each operation, making sure that anything that they do, you're there watching them do it unless you're one hundred percent sure they can do it. Essentially as well as you can do it, and then I never let the residents do certain things that I cannot reverse and that I cannot fix, because I would have to live with myself if there were a failure.
Speaker 3: But there's very strong mentorship and guidance.
Speaker 2: It's like a driving test where the driver is sitting right next to you, you know, holding the steering wheel, and if God forbid, something goes wrong, you know you can take over. Learning from failure as a surgeon is a whole other different conversation, and I do write about this. You know, there's a conflict between confidence in humility and arrogance and humility, and.
Speaker 3: You sort of have to be both at the same time.
Speaker 2: I think most great surgeons are are simultaneously arrogant and humble, because you have to believe in your heart that you're the best person to do this operation, and you have to become the best person you can be to do that operation. And with that training and experience comes a certain amount of arrogance. You have to convince the patient I can do this, I can take care of you. I'm the right person for the job. At the same time, no matter how good you are, every neurosurgeon who does complex neurosurgery will have complications and failures.
Speaker 3: It's inevitable.
Speaker 2: And we say, if you haven't had a complications because you're not doing complicated operations. And that creates a lot of humility because you can't become arrogant, you can't lose your focus, you can't assume that things are going to go well. I'm always assuming that something's going to go wrong in every operation, and I'm always thinking what can I do to prevent this from going wrong. That's just my attitude with everything I do. And it makes you very, very humble, And by being humble, that's how you get better. I am better, you know, thirty years out than I was, twenty five years out than I was twenty years out than fifteen.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about head trauma, because, as you put it, it's the bread and butter of your profession, in the same way that skateboards and trampolines of the bread and butter of your orthopedic surgeon colleagues talk about head trauma, what is it? And how many people are your die from head trauma? And while we're at it, tell the story of the Swiss Army knife.
Speaker 2: So we separate head trauma into blunt head trauma and penetrating head trauma and blunt heead trauma is you know, let's say you're in a car accident and your head hits the steering wheel where you're playing football in your helmeted head to hit someone else's head, or a baseball hits your head, it's blunt penetrating of course, is a gunshot wound, an arrow wound, or a knife wound or something like that. And they're very different, and they affect the brain and the skull very very differently. And as you can imagine, a lot of neurosurgeons in the early part of the twentieth century and surgeons before that, would attend to soldiers on the battlefield and there were a lot of injuries, and so a lot of what we learned was learned on the battlefield, and our field developed taking care of head injuries. And we've been very involved also in designing football helmets and motorcycle helmets and the baseball helmet. All of these things, at one time or another were designed by brain surgeons to protect the brain, because that's our job. We have to fix the brain, but we also have to prevent head injuries from occurring. In the first place, and there was one case who had a Swiss Army knife, which is not a big knife. You don't think of a Swiss Army knife as a lethal knife. But it turns out there's a part of the skull right under the temple. There's muscle here, but the bone is about a millimeter thick right behind the eye, and if you were to jam a knife in right there hard enough, you can penetrate the skull fairly easily. And this gentleman came into the emergency room literally with a Swiss Army knife sticking out of his head, and it turns out the tip of the knife is very close to a critical artery called the internal carotid artery, so we had to do a full crannyotomy because we can just pull it out because if you pull it out, you might have sheared the artery and actually have someone pull it out while I was staring at the ordery after opening up his head. And we did manage to save his life, but he was essentially handcuffed to his gurney with a police officer at his side because he was involved in some nefarious activities. So I never really figured out what happened or why it happened to him.
Speaker 1: I want to talk next about those initial office visits by the patient. You describe them so beautifully in the book. I want you to do a reading from a passage, and if you could set the passage up.
Speaker 2: The initial office visit, in fact, can be surreal. At this early stage. The patient is often minimally symptomatic. They're obviously aware that something is growing in their brain. They sought out medical care, after all, and they know it needs to be removed. They're also often scared and unsure of what lies ahead or what it all means. Commonly, they're frequently somewhat oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
Speaker 3: This is all new to them.
Speaker 2: But as I listened to their questions, I see things they are not yet capable of seeing, let alone processing. See the mother of three young children who will not make it to their high school graduation. I see the father and sole provider for a family of teenagers with college payments looming, who will not be walking his daughter down the aisle.
Speaker 3: I see the.
Speaker 2: Hedge fund manager who is sitting on top of the world planning his retirement and next lavish vacation, who will soon be closing his fund. He's about to lose not only his long anticipated opportunity to spend his money, but his ability to bathe and feed himself. And yes, thinking of others' deaths can be debilitating. It's even the most hardened of us surgeons giving bad news. Seeing families crumple from the oncoming train bearing down on them. As I stare into the void imagining their future, I want to stand up and scream at the top of my lungs, or collapse on the ground in a flood of tears.
Speaker 3: I do none of this, of course.
Speaker 2: My job at this moment is to fight this battle with every fiber in my body and shepherd these victims of nature's callous and indifferent design. I believe in revealing the truth to my patient's prognosis at a slow and deliberate pace, but I also never ever take away their most powerful weapon.
Speaker 3: Hope.
Speaker 2: We're not talking about false hope, as in, we're going to beat this thing, but rather true hope, a concept introduced by Jerome Groupman in his book The Anatomy of Hope, how people prevail in the face of illness.
Speaker 3: True hope sounds more like this.
Speaker 2: They're a small group of long term survivors, and I'm going to do everything in my power to give you the best chance of being one of them, or even your remaining days with your family can be beautiful, maybe even more beautiful than all the days that have come before.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the surgery itself. You're right about the fact that sometimes the patient needs to stay awake during brain surgery.
Speaker 3: Does the patient feel pain?
Speaker 1: Why do they stay awake?
Speaker 2: Yeah, If you watch your feeds on Facebook or Instagram, every once in a while, you go see like a patient having brain surgery is playing the violin, or they're playing the guitar, or they're reciting Shakespeare, and people are excited by that. We have to do surgery awake sometimes, and I'll talk about how, But first is why if a tumor is very close to part of the brain is important for a speech and language. The neurons that allow you to speak are in a different location in every human being. We know roughly where they are, but we don't know exactly where they are, and so there's some tumors that sit in the areas that can be very very close to parts of the brain that are critical for speech and the only way to know it in this day and age with confidence is to have your patient awaken the operating room, having them doing a language tasks, so they're reading, they're naming objects, they're talking, and you stimulate their brain with an electrode. And stimulating the brain in that way basically knocks out a small area of brain. It stops that brain bit from being able to function. So you move the electrode around and you map out where their speech areas are, and when you hit an area that's important for speech, the patient will be able to talk. So if you show them a picture of a car or a pen, they'll say this is a and they'll stutter and they'll have trouble getting the word out. And then you lift the electrode up and they'll go a pen. And it's crazy to think that you can cause that in someone else's brain just by a stick mulating a particular area. So that allows us to do our surgeries more safely. How we do it is that we give people ivy anesthesia, so we make them sleepy when we're doing the opening, because when you open the skull and the scalp, you know, it's more like carpentry.
Speaker 3: The microsurgery.
Speaker 2: We do later on is more like Swiss watchmaking, but getting in and out of the skull is really blue collar labor to some extent. During that period of time, they're asleep and we num the scalp with a lot of local anesthesia. Surprisingly, when you open up the brain, the brain has no sensory or pain fibers, so if someone is touching.
Speaker 3: Your brain, you won't feel anything. There's no pain, there's no sense of someone touching you.
Speaker 2: Only your skin has these touch fibers that you feel when you touch the skin, but.
Speaker 3: Your brain does not have them.
Speaker 2: So we can operate on the brain and the patient feels absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: The story of biography, and we continue with our American stories and with doctor Theodore Schwartz. He's the author of Gray Matters, a biography of brain surgery. It's part memoir and it's part history, and that is the history of brain surgery and in some ways our understanding of the brain. Let's pick up where we last left off. You note in the book, by the way, that the human brain feels a lot like a sponge. That's for anyone wondering what the brain actually feels like. What I also learned is that you've removed nearly ten thousand brain tumors, but not all of those surgeries, and with good news, talk about breaking the bad news to a patient. In fact, if you wouldn't mind reading from a passage you wrote about, it was so poignant, it was so moving.
Speaker 3: So I take my cues from them.
Speaker 2: I usually start the conversation with a clear presentation of the facts. I may say that the preliminary diagnosis showed what we feared, that the tumor is in fact malignant. I prefer to use the words we and us. I also emphasize whatever positives I can. The good news is that the surgery went extremely well and we got out as much tumor as could safely be removed.
Speaker 3: Although it's a.
Speaker 2: Tough tour to be the surgery puts US in the best place going forward to attack the microscopic disease invariably left behind. I then tell them that they will likely need radiation and chemotherapy, the standard of care and treating glioblastomas, and that we will find them the most experienced neurooncologists to help coordinate the next stage of this process. While our neuraloncologists at Cornell are some of the best in the world. Patients often want second opinions, so I let them know we will help them get their records together to send wherever they'd like. Patients often express a fear of telling you they want a second opinion, as if they're cheating on their spouse or insulting a relative.
Speaker 3: You never want.
Speaker 2: Anyone looking back as the end approaches, feeling that they didn't do everything in their power to find the right treatment, didn't explore all the options, or left a stone unturned. I've witnessed only a handful of medical mirror in my career. Tumors that miraculously shrank without any treatment, long term survivors of fatal diseases. What's the explanation? We just don't know, But these cases do provide some room for hope. The patients I've treated who are still alive five, ten, or even fifteen years after a GBM diagnosis are a rare reminder that my degree and years of experience go only so far. What makes these long term survivors so special? What did they do to beat the odds? Another frequent question my malignant tumor patients ask is why me?
Speaker 3: Was it anything I did? It's human nature?
Speaker 2: To attempt to find cause for suffering, to create order out of chaos, to shake our fist at the randomness of fate. Often my patients will place blame on environmental exposures, such as smoking power lines or toxic chemicals released by a local factory. They also worry that their brain termor might have been inherited and will be passed to future generations. Both fears are somewhat legitimate. Most brain canswers are triggered by some random and little understood series of events that either alters their DNA within the nucleus of brain cells or misilignes the careful balance of proteins that promote and suppressed cell growth. I therefore try to emphasize to my patients that they did nothing to bring this upon themselves.
Speaker 3: There is no one to blame or resent, and there's no.
Speaker 2: Reason to feel guilty that their children might be at a higher risk of the same fate. As scientifically unsatisfying as the answer may be, the cause for most brain tumors is just plain old bad luck.
Speaker 1: I want to go next to the choices you have to make as the surgeon while the patient is under You write about this beautifully because in the end it boils down to your choice. The patient depends on your talents, your experience, and your knowledge. Talk about the burdens of that responsibility and also the exhilaration of that responsibility.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a moment that comes a couple hours into an operation, when you're getting tired. You've been there for a while, You've debulked a lot of the tumor, and maybe at that point there's a little bit that's left. There may be pardon you can't see it very well. It could be obscured by an artery or vein, some normal anatomy that's in the way. It could be very stuck to an artery or vein, And you have to figure out how aggressive do you want to be. Do I want to try to get every last bit of this tumor out, which potentially could cure the patient, or if I leave.
Speaker 3: Some behind, it could grow back and they might need another surgery.
Speaker 2: But if I'm too aggressive trying to get that last bit of tumor off and I damage a nerve or an artery or vein, it could be catastrophic for the patient.
Speaker 3: And so I have to make that decision at that moment.
Speaker 2: In time, and I sort of question, who am I to make that decision?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It's not my body? You know, why do I have this responsibility?
Speaker 3: Is it fair? Is it right?
Speaker 2: But the truth is, if it's not me, you know, who is it going to be? Who's going to make the decision at that moment in time. I'm the best qualified person to do it because I'm physically there.
Speaker 3: I've dissected down to the tumor.
Speaker 2: I've done it hundreds of times before and trained to do this.
Speaker 3: So I need to make this decision.
Speaker 2: And ultimately I say to myself, well, if this were me on the table, what would I want done? And that's what I do.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of famous names and patients in your book, doctor Schwartz, and I want you to talk about one, to talk about Rosemary Kennedy, and I want you to talk about lobotomies.
Speaker 2: I knew nothing about lobotomies when I trained in neurosurgery. We didn't hear anything about the surgery, didn't know anything about the history, why I was done, who it was done on, how many were done. I saw it as sort of a skeleton in our closet that neurosurgeons really didn't talk about. There were sixty thousand in frontal lobotomies done in America in the nineteen fifties and nineteen sixties, which is a remarkably high number.
Speaker 3: You have to understand the context. At the time.
Speaker 2: There was no treatment for psychiatric illness, so people who had severe schizophrenia depression would just sit in the hallways of mental institutions that were filling with these patients with no way to treat them. And some of the treatments were also barbaric. They would, you know, submerge them in ice cold water, or shock them, or give them insulin and lower their glucose, so they're essentially torturing these patients. The surgery itself was developed mostly by neurologists and psychiatrists. I found out it really was not a surgery developed by neurosurgeons. A guy named Burkhardt did the first years ago, and then Mones was a neurologist, won the Nobel Prize believe it or not, for the front of the botomy that was based on very little scientific basis. And then there was a gentle named Walter Freeman who was also a neurologist, and he started doing the Bottomi's in America.
Speaker 3: He started out working with a neurosurgeon and.
Speaker 2: Where they would drill burholes at the top of the head and put essentially a butter knife down into the brain and sweep it back and forth on each side to disconnect the frontal part of the brain from the back of the brain. He didn't like relying on a neurosurgeon. He wanted to be able to do it on his own. He didn't want to have to rely on anesthesiologists. He was a neurologist. He had no credentials to perform surgery. So he ran about an Italian neurosurgeon who did a procedure basically taking an ice pick and lifting the upper lid of the eye and taking the ice pick, putting it under the eyelid and cracking through the skull into the frontal lobe and sweeping it back and forth. And he could do one of these procedures in about ten minutes. He would charge twenty five dollars for it. He would do six or seven in a day. He would do it with no antiseptic theesia. He would actually give a lecture shock therapy to the patients to put them under and then he would do this procedure and he would have people around him, and he publicized it, and he traveled all around the country doing I think he personally did about four thousand lobotomies, this guy, Walter Freeman. And the truth is, there were some people who got better, and there were a few neurosurgeons who studied the lobotomy who sort of scientifically said, all right, we're going to do this right, We're going to do it cleanly. And at least a third of the patients really got better from the lobotomies, but two thirds of them didn't, and some patients were really damaged, severely damaged. Me and Rosemary Kennedy was one of those. So Walter Freeman did her lobotomy. Many people didn't know she had a lobotomy. Her brothers and sisters didn't really know. Joe Kennedy basically just took her to have this done. They were hiding her mental illness at the time. It was very shameful that she had mental illness at the time. And when she emerged from the lobotomy, you know, she was essentially a vegetable. She had regressed dramatically. She was like a little child and she was institutionalized after that. But what the lobotomy did dude for neurosurgery was it promoted the development of a lot of new technique. So a lot of the things we do now, the focal delivery of radiation called stereotactic radio surgery, the implantation of deep brain electrodes which we use to treat Parkinson's disease and obsessive compulsive disorder and epilepsy, and the stereotactic.
Speaker 3: Radiation which we can use to treat tumors.
Speaker 2: And facial pain. All of those things those were developed by surgeons trying to improve on the frontal lobotomy because they realized it was a sort of grotesque, imprecise.
Speaker 3: Operation and they wanted to figure out a better way to do it.
Speaker 2: So they developed all these new techniques and then realized they could use all these techniques to treat other neurologic diseases, and we still use those techniques today. So the frontal a body that was a horrific moment in time where we rashly adopted a surgery before it was well vetted, but it propelled the feel forward fairly dramatically into a lot of what modern neurosurgery is about today.
Speaker 1: That is so true, about so much we learn in the field of medicine, the bad and the good, and my goodness, I just remember first hearing about a lobotomy when I was an English major in college Tennessee. Williams had to in the end give the go ahead to give his sister Rose a full frontal lobotomy. He never recovered from it.
Speaker 3: And when we come.
Speaker 1: Back more of the biography of brain surgery, the author of the book Gray Matters is doctor Theodore Schwartz. More with doctor Schwartz after these messages, and we continue with our American stories and with doctor Theodore Schwartz, the author of Gray Matters, a Biography of Brain Surgery. Let's pick up where we last left off. Chapter fourteen is especially compelling. The title alone is compelling. What's it like to be a brain? But you dive into the human experience, the human tragedy of the end of life. We've all had grandparents and parents who suffered from loss of memory, dementia, and worse. Talk about that.
Speaker 2: So philosophically, we talk about the brain, and we talk about the mind as a separate entity, and we like to imagine and common sense tells us and our intuition tells us that we can make decisions, our mind can make decisions that will have an impact on the physical world around us, and that.
Speaker 3: We control our behaviors. But there is no such thing as mind.
Speaker 2: There's no mysterious substance that we have yet to identify by science that is mind. All we know of is brain in neurons and neurons firing that somehow creates our experience of what it is like to be ourselves, and our identity is very much a part of that. We feel like we have an identity, we have a past, we have a future, But the truth is the self and who we are, and the decisions that we make are all based in the mind.
Speaker 3: And the mind is a physical organ that controlled by the laws of.
Speaker 2: Physics, and the laws of physics do not allow for there to be a mind, a substance that has a cause and effect, because the only thing that can have a cause is another physical substance. So there are a number of neurosurgical operations that have been done and experiments done during brain surgery that lead us to believe that our concept of the self is not what we think it is. For example, if the brain creates the mind and the self, and we can do an operation where we take the two halves of our brain and basically split them in half and cut the connections, so you have two independent brains that can think independently in your head. You would think that someone would feel like there's two selves, but they don't. They actually still feel like they only have one self. So how is it possible to have two brains and only one self? You can remove an entire hemisphere of the brain in someone and they will wake up and feel like their whole.
Speaker 3: They don't feel like.
Speaker 2: They're half the person that they were before. So there's clearly a dis connect between this physical thing brain and this construct we have of the self. And the truth is that who we are is changing constantly based on our experiences, and we lose thousands of neurons every day we make new connections, and so that creates our identity. And it is possible to change someone's identity either because they have a stroke and they forget who people are, like the man who mistook his wife for a hat doesn't recognize his wife anymore. You can put electrodes in someone's brain, and this has been well described, and change the way they feel, change their moods, make them happier, make them sadder, give them brain fog. One pasion had an electro putting their brain and they turned it on and suddenly they started enjoying the music of Johnny Cash. And they turned it off and they didn't like Johnny Cash anymore. And so if you can trigger things that we think of as our identity, right, I think of myself as someone who likes certain things and dislikes some certain things, that's who I am. If I can change those things just by stimulating your brain or triggering your brain, what does that mean about who you are and who you think you are. The other fascinating thing that I'll just briefly talk about is there's a lot of data showing that there are neurons firing in your.
Speaker 3: Brain that precede every behavior that you do.
Speaker 2: Right you imagine, sure, if I want to move my finger, there's a neuron that's going to move that makes my finger mooove. And when I decide to move my finger, there's some neurons that are saying, oh, I'm deciding to move my finger. But it turns out that there are neurons that are firing in your brain before you make the decision to move your finger, about a second before you make the decision, and the second before you make the decision to say certain words, there are neurons firing in your brain to make those words come out. So many people think what happens is that the brain has independent modules that are functioning and working all the time, and they're taking in information processing it spitting out things to do, and we behave based on what our brain wants us to do. And then afterwards we experience that and we create a story as to why we did what we did. We move it back in time and our brain messes with the time to pretend that we had agency and that we create we wanted to do that in the first place, but really our brain wanted to do it, and that's why it happened.
Speaker 1: In your chapter Unlocking the Brain, you focus on two stories that of Jean Dominique Bobie and Stephen Hawking. Why those two stories?
Speaker 2: So, Jean Dominique Boubie was an editor of the French Ell magazine who had a stroke that left him locked in. So what locked in means is there are some places you can have a stroke where essentially your entire body is paralyzed, so you imagine you're in a wheelchair. Your facial musculature is also paralyzed, so you cannot talk. All some of these people can do is blink their eyes, that's it. But their brains, in terms of their mentation, are fully intact. So you're fully aware, fully conscious, but you're a prisoner in your own body, and all you can do is blink your eyes. So it's really a horrible way to live. And John Dominique Boube, he would blink his eyes and someone would point at different letters on a screen to allow him to communicate, and he wrote a book, The Butterfly and the Bell Jar using that technique. So the question is how do you get information out of a brain when the body can't allow that information to escape. And Stephen Hawking had also had the same problem. He could move a cheek muscle, and so he used his cheek muscle to control a computer that would go across too different levels and he would stop it when he was trying to sell a certain letter. So this leads us to the technology called brain computer interfaces. A lot of people have read about with Elon Musk's device of the neuralink device, which is basically a chip implanted in the brain wires that read the firing of neurons, and the neural code can be put into a computer and the computer can interpret that neural code, and so someone can use the power of their brain alone to think and move a cursor on a screen, or type letters on a screen, or move a robotic arm, or move robotic legs or a full robotic body, or even have their thoughts come out by speaking. So if you imagine articulating the words you want to say and putting electrodes in the part of the brain that move your mouth and your tongue, the same neurons will fire every time you say the vowel the letter A, and the same neuron.
Speaker 3: Different neurons will fire when you say.
Speaker 2: The letter B, or you say this word or that word, And so you can learn what those patterns of neuronal firing is and correlate it with those different words, so that every time you try to say something, the computer will learn what you're trying to say, and suddenly someone who can't talk can communicate, which is really remarkable.
Speaker 3: So brain computer interfaces will allow human beings.
Speaker 2: The power of telepathy and telekinesis getting ideas out of our head merely by thinking about doing different things.
Speaker 3: It's no longer science fiction and science fact.
Speaker 2: It's already going on at several major institutions academic institutions, and has been going on for decades. It's just that Elon Musk has developed a commercially available device that he's trying to sell and improve upon to move that technology forward. But it already exists, and it's a fascinating future of the human race, and someday we may all have implants in our brains that allow us to interact with computers.
Speaker 1: Talk for a bit about work life balance, doctor Schwortz. Because your job isn't one you can phone in. You can't do it remotely, and it's certainly not a part time gig. Talk about work in life, talk about work and family. How do you deal with balancing those things? It must be a constant struggle.
Speaker 2: There's no question that I was not present for all the things that a lot of other parents are present for. I rarely ever walked my kids to school. My wife always did that. If my kids had a game after school. At three point thirty I never went to it, but if they had a hockey game, and both my boys played hockey at seven o'clock PM, I was at every single one and I brought them to practice on the weekends. So you can't go to everything, and you can't do everything, but you just have to be present enough. You have to be there enough, and when you can carve the time out, you have to carve the timeout. So you have to be able to create that balance when when your kids need you to. My wife often would go to parties without me, and she learned how to dance by herself on the dance floor. But I also, you know, spend a lot of time with her when I could, and when I was with her, I was very present. So the key is to be very present when you're there so that when you know you're not there, they know that you were there. The other thing that I did was I took all my kids into the operating room so that they could watch me operate and be a part of that experience. So they knew what I was doing and they knew how important it was. And it wasn't some mysterious thing that took Dad away, but it was something that we did together and that we could talk about and so they embraced that ultimately and felt a part of it, and so they loved it, you know when I got called, because they knew that I was doing something important, and I think they respected and appreciated that, and that helped me do it because I had their acceptance, and I had my wife's acceptance and no resentment at any time.
Speaker 3: So I was blessed to have a very loving, supportive family.
Speaker 1: I want to close things out, doctor Schwartz, with one final reading from your book again about the life of a neurosurgeon. Like a priest or Anon, we swear an oath to dedicate ourselves to a higher purpose, far greater than ourselves, the health of our patients.
Speaker 3: Soldiers.
Speaker 1: Creeds hold true for neurosurgery as well. I will always place the mission first. I will never accept defeat. I will never quit. And that's something your kids and wife can hold close as they think about their father, the man they love. And you've been listening to doctor Theodore Schwartz. He's the author of Brain Matters, a biography of brain surgery. He's also am attending neurological surgeon and professor of neurological surgery that Wild Cornell Medicine in New York City, and we heard so much, absolutely riveting and fascinating about his day to day life. We love to do that. Here on this show, the Story of doctor Theodore Schwartz and a biography of brain surgery. Here on our American Stories.