Speaker 1: iHeart three d are ye.
Speaker 2: For full exposure listen with headphones.
Speaker 3: Havoctown is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Mankey Headphones Recommended listener discretion advised.
Speaker 4: Your TSI was Christine CHAVOTIPOKOI sloge Bogar yurre.
Speaker 1: Rhonda, Hallelujah, the.
Speaker 5: Eleventh of October sixteen fifty six, kringa hysteria. This is Father Ivan, my elder father Josef refuses to write another entreaty. He has seen the church is in action, and so it is left to me to appeal to the Holy Council and to beg once more for our lives. The village is ravaged with the blood fever. Entire families have been consumed and perer the Cardinal's instructions. The bodies have been burned as soon.
Speaker 2: As they succumb. It has come in waves.
Speaker 5: There are nights when you can see the bonfires far up into the hills, smell the flesh burning, the stars in the sky blotted out by the smoke. But it is the quiet night that bring me true dread. We had one such night earlier this week. No one reported dead, no bonfires lighting up the night. I stood on the steps of the church and looked out over the town, and it was not hard to imagine that I was the light, best living man in hysteria. We are a small ship in a great storm, and I fear the next wave will extinguish us. If you do not hear from me again, assume that I too, am smoke in the night sky.
Speaker 2: M h m hmm.
Speaker 1: Come on. I have nightmares all my life. I've had them, so it really never had anything to do with this particular day. That is to say, if I look back on this particular day and you ask, hey, Grin, would anything have tipped you off about how badly this day was going to go off the rails, say a premonition in the form of a dream, I'd say, yeah, no, dummy, that's stupid. Dreams are our way of sifting through our impressions of the day and making sense of them, fitting them in a neat little narrative. They don't tell you ahead of time that the world is getting ready to burn down. My name is Korean ABIs. I own a bar. It's a family bar that my dad owned, and his dad before him. I'm not sure that's important to the story. But I spend most of my time there, so hey, how was the treatment not fully covered? But the hospital is in network, so you're you're telling me that the specialist was not in network. Uh huh, well, what the hell does that mean for us? Yes, I'll hold morning Pop Insurance. Yeah, on hold, I'll call him later. No, No, I hello? Uh huh uh okay, So can you just transfer me? Let me get a pen, dad, sid Okay, give me the number. M all right, thank you? Damn it.
Speaker 6: You know I'm a big boy who can handle the insurance people myself.
Speaker 1: No, you always get pissed off and lose it on them. Look exhausted rough night.
Speaker 2: I haven't slept through a night in months.
Speaker 1: Coffee?
Speaker 6: Uh please? So what's on your agenda today?
Speaker 1: I gotta deal with the liquor license.
Speaker 6: Did it lapse?
Speaker 1: Yes, second year in a row. I've forgotten. I'm an idiot.
Speaker 6: Listen, kiddo. When I was in charge, we almost lost the damn business. You're in good company, Oh.
Speaker 1: Jesus Pop, I'm okay, you sure?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I got an appointment with doctor Culver Friday.
Speaker 6: If I make it till.
Speaker 1: Then you're gonna be okay on your own today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I should.
Speaker 6: Be able to manage.
Speaker 8: Okay, but we got to talk tonight.
Speaker 1: Is this the talk?
Speaker 7: Well, no, not.
Speaker 6: That talk, but it is that talk, Jason.
Speaker 8: Okay, we'll time.
Speaker 6: Are you home.
Speaker 1: Sylvie's closing, so it'll probably be around eight or so.
Speaker 6: Okay, we'll talk.
Speaker 8: Love you, Love you, kiddo.
Speaker 6: I have a good one.
Speaker 1: You too. You stay out of trouble.
Speaker 7: Shit.
Speaker 1: Our house has been in the family for one hundred years. The family has been in this town a lot longer than that. Beautiful Havoc, New Hampshire population three eight hundred and eighty six, located in the foothills of the White Mountains and once a prosperous farming town before becoming a prosperous mill town. Before all that went away. We survive now in various and sundry ways, not the least of which is tourism. During the fall. The countryside around here is littered with apple orchards, pumpkin patches, all matter of picturesque colonial barns and gristmills that pop when the leaves turn. But more than that, it's the vampires, well not real vampires. See, we have a sort of history of religious zealots in this town. For instance, brother can here.
Speaker 3: Who go abroad to the kings of the whole world.
Speaker 1: Morning, ken Ah.
Speaker 7: A good morning.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Miss abbys How's business.
Speaker 9: There's no end to the work of salvation, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Don't I know it? Have a good one, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 7: Demonic spirits performing signs who go abroad to the kings of the whole world.
Speaker 1: To susions of the classic Fire and Brimstone school of preaching, more than their share have called Havoc home one in particular kind of bloody swath through the heart of the town. See Salem's got their witch trials, while we have.
Speaker 10: The Abbesstown vampire panic of eighteen seventeen.
Speaker 1: This is Sarah Beth Spalding, head of the Havoc Historical Society, their only tour guide, and a huge fan of my family.
Speaker 10: Over the course of a bloody fortnight, Josiah Abbess, the mad Preacher, led a mob of religious zealots to dig up numerous bodies of plague victims that they claim to be vampires, desecrating their corpses and scandalizing the community until that fateful night that he went too far. Hello Sarabeth Ah, ladies and gentlemen, A true stroke of luck we have here. Corinne abbis the last living descendant of the mad Preacher.
Speaker 1: It's not luck. You're standing in front of my bar and my dad is still kicking. Thanks. Hey, folks, if this dry tour you're on makes you thirsty, matt ABIs bloody Mary's are half off all day long here at Dottie's. Moving on, y'all come back now, Jimbo. If you're gonna sit here and wait out front for me to open the bar, I'd love it if you do your job and clear the looky lose away before they scare off my pain customers.
Speaker 7: Hey, they're not breaking any las Karn. The sidewalk is a public thoroughfare.
Speaker 1: There are my tax dollars at work. I'll put some coffee on.
Speaker 7: Thanks, kid, You're not half the monster they make you out to be.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't know me, have as well as you'd think, Jimbo. That's the thing about living in a small town. Everyone knows your business and your father's and his father's all the way back, so you get painted with the same brush, especially if those ancestors of yours up in to be insane and led the charge on the most macabre event in your town's history. Once held in such high esteem that our fair city was literally named Abbystown, the Abbes's bloodline was forever laid low by the actions of the good Reverend Josiah Abbess. The town's name Pavoc now unronically.
Speaker 7: So the man says, I founded this town.
Speaker 1: I know this one, Jimbo.
Speaker 7: Just wait, he says, built her up, made sure she was good and stable, set up the local constabulary, you know. But do they call me the town founder?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Have you read Sarah Lynd's colin today morning, Sylvie?
Speaker 11: Have you read it?
Speaker 7: Sylvie? I'm telling a djokhiah oh.
Speaker 11: Jimo, I swear to God.
Speaker 1: Well no, no, I've been slammed, first with Dad's insurance and then the inventory. Who reads their paper?
Speaker 7: How's old Johnny doing anyhow?
Speaker 1: Not great? Jim corin focus? Okay, why don't you give me the highlights?
Speaker 11: Okay? It reads and I quote a Havoc homecoming emphasis mine. For the first time in two generations, a flurry of activity has been noted at the long dormant jury Havoc House on the north side of town. Witnesses have reported workmen milling about the place, and a large moving truck was seen on the seventh. Built in seventeen ninety eighth, this federal style double house was the country home of industrialist Jury Havoc the eighth Exkippy skibby skipping boring history. Shit, Oh Jesus, Sarahbeth Oh, Okay, Okay, Here, this reporter has it on good authority that scion to the Havoc Empire, Jury Havoc the fourteenth himself will be coming to town to continue on the industry of his forebearer, Jury the eighth. Will this mean new business in the town named for the only time will tell?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 6: So what?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 11: What do you think of that?
Speaker 1: Uh? I mean neat.
Speaker 9: Neate Nate Jerry Havoc, the famous reclose billionaire is coming home.
Speaker 1: Isn't that at least interesting to you?
Speaker 11: As I don't know the last of a bloodline cursed by his great great great great.
Speaker 1: Grandfather, there's no curse.
Speaker 11: Okay, yeah, sure, Well, maybe this is your chance to march up the hill ring his doorbell, bury the hatchet, apologize for your great great great grandfather, terrorizing his great great great grandfather, and finally get rid of your family. Totally not a curse. Once and for all.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 3: You are hopeless.
Speaker 1: What do you expect me to say, Sylvie? We're understaffed. I've got to renew the liquor license today or we'll lose it. I spend half the morning on the line with Dad's insurance because for some reason, they're not covering his most recent round of testing.
Speaker 11: Oh honey, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, my head waitress was running late.
Speaker 11: I was doing recon.
Speaker 1: And I deeply appreciate it. But we're under a time crunch today, okay, and I need you by my side. I got you, so we let go.
Speaker 11: I will never ever ever leave you, and you will never leave me.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, Mama's got Aaron's to run. Okay, hold down the fort?
Speaker 7: Well, do you didn't let me finish my joke?
Speaker 1: Screw your joke quick.
Speaker 7: So the guy says, I founded the town, But do they call me the town founder? No? No, I built the g I built the church brick by brick, preached the gospel there every Sunday. But do they call me the town preacher? No?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: I planted the very first apple tree in town?
Speaker 11: But did they call me, ibis that no?
Speaker 7: So you've heard it?
Speaker 1: Then, coffee's on the house, jims, Sylvie. I'll be back in a couple hours. Don't let my bar burn down, gotcha, hun? That right? There was the entirety of my day to day life. Dad, Aaron's labar and a cycle. Days become weeks, become months, become years, and you know what, it was? Fine, dependable, quiet. Maybe I got bored from time to time. Maybe I sometimes remember the dreams of my youth. Maybe being caretaker to Dad and the ragtag group of eccentric drunks that made Dotti's hideaway home occasionally bore on me. I'd become accustomed to the steadiness of things, comforted, lulled. And this is the moment it all ended, the hell When the forest Green two thousand Toyota Corolla came barreling through the intersection and onto Maine, slamming into a garbage can. I froze when its driver steered directly toward me. All I could do was let out a quiet sigh of resignation.
Speaker 8: Hey you're right.
Speaker 1: Uh oh shit? You are you bleeding?
Speaker 2: Uh? Sorry not? I think that's.
Speaker 1: You write your suit?
Speaker 12: Oh suits me, it's actually a bit all quite shabby. I was thinking donating it to charity.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what what's happening?
Speaker 12: What looks like the man that was driving that car tried to mow you down and he missed, luckily decided to hit the courthouse instead.
Speaker 2: Looks like he's murdered the front axle.
Speaker 1: Is he okay?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, he's Oh actually he's he's bleeding, leaving quite a lot.
Speaker 7: Oh shit, get back everyone, he's gone axe.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. The driver was covered in blood from head to toe and in his hands an old axe. I don't know what I was expecting from him, but it wasn't for him to start swinging. The first couple of onlookers managed to duck his swings, but poor old mister Shelton took the blade to the shoulder and collapsed.
Speaker 2: Maybe you should get out the past. The blood to the Master.
Speaker 8: That's the blood of the Master.
Speaker 10: That's the blood of the Master, the Master.
Speaker 1: The plot.
Speaker 13: Jesus, Jesus Christ, call nine one one, but I don't have my radio. It's okay, j Jesus, I ain't never shot any one, Corin.
Speaker 7: I need to stop his bleeding.
Speaker 1: God, he's covered with where where is it all coming from?
Speaker 12: Uh maybe you shouldn't touch him, No nonsense.
Speaker 7: I got to keep him alive. Hey, hey, buddy, it's all right. Uh, calm down and let me God damn animal, they put me Jesus sit still?
Speaker 8: They all right?
Speaker 2: I mean you get a pretty scraped up hm.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm okay, sore, little little shell shocked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well and good company. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: What's your name, Oh Krinn, I'm Krinn.
Speaker 2: Well, nice to meet you, Chrinn.
Speaker 12: Under the circumstances, yeah shit.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for pushing me out of the way. You saved my life.
Speaker 2: I don't mention it.
Speaker 12: It's just lucky.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 8: Jimbo got an ambulance.
Speaker 7: What. Wow, that's a lot of blood. What the hell happened? Crazy son of a bitch?
Speaker 2: Bit me?
Speaker 7: What's up? At Dotty's? And I heard the car burned by slam it to the courthouse. The guy came out swinging people, scattering.
Speaker 1: It was a blur after that. The Havoc police hadn't had anything resembling homicide in a decade, and they'd never seen anything like this man dressed in chinos and a pole low shirt, covered in blood and slamming into the courthouse steps. Mister Shelton didn't make it. He was dead before he hit the ground. His poor wife, his poor kids, and his grandkids. I got questioned by Jimbo before they sent him off to the hospital to get his hand checked out by Jay Campbell, the first on the scene and then the second on the scene, all the way up, repeat questions, disbelief. They weren't accustomed to this sort of thing. I was four officers deep before anybody saw my scrapes and thought to have someone look at them. It was sunset before they let me go. You know how waking up from a dream, a familiar place can look suddenly completely alien. Well, Main Street, Havoc, New Hampshire may as well have been the surface of the moon to me that night, with the mobs of concerned citizens crowding the streets and the flickering blue lights bouncing off the walls of the buildings. I didn't know where to go and what to do until.
Speaker 9: Couren Karen, Oh my god, sweet. They wouldn't tell me what happened. I thought i'd lost you. There's so much chaos. Are you Are you okay? Your dad called, he is worried sick.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yeah, I think I dropped my phone when I hit the pavement. They didn't get you a doctor. Oh no, I'm fine. I'm fine, Sylvie. Just let's just go to Dotty's and let me have a drink and call my father of course. Honey, okay, come on.
Speaker 8: Side, and just aamed for the crowd.
Speaker 1: Did you see him? Just dive b mister Shelton.
Speaker 6: You sit.
Speaker 1: What can I get for you? Whiskey? Yeah, get me my dad's bottle? You got it? And the phone. I'm sure Dad's worried sick.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: And Sylvie, you're still hiding that pack of cigarettes behind the absent.
Speaker 11: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Just hand them to me. That bad huh, yeah, that bad?
Speaker 7: Hey, this is John Abbot. What do you want?
Speaker 1: Hey, Pop, I'm sure Sylvie told you about all the chaos. Well I'm okay, I mean well not okay, but alive and only sort of scuffed up anyway. I guess you're asleep. I'm sorry I didn't call it earlier. We can have that talk in the morning. I guess okay. I love you.
Speaker 11: We never used the absence, right.
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 8: Still oh?
Speaker 1: Shit, Sylvie, are you o?
Speaker 11: Kihun?
Speaker 1: The TV? What turn up the TV?
Speaker 3: Oh oh.
Speaker 4: Driver continued on to the have A courthouse, where he crashed his car into the courthouse steps. As bystanders attempted to assist him, he brutally attacked and killed one on the spot as others fled on foot. In total, two were killed and seven injured before he was apprehended by local police. The suspect has been identified as Raymond Bachman of Banger Main, who is currently being treated for injuries at Havoc Memorial Hospital. More on this story as details emerge. A new Hampshi State senator has found that is insane.
Speaker 2: You could have been killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, here's to mister Shelton. He was a good guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I always tipped well, never got grabby.
Speaker 1: He'll be missed to mister Shelton. Sorry, we're well.
Speaker 11: Hello handsome, you've got to be lost.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 12: I I hope I'm not disturbing you. Is this bad time?
Speaker 1: No, sir?
Speaker 8: Now, I come in by all means.
Speaker 11: Can I get you something?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 12: Sorry we sort of got separated with all the questioning, and I just wanted to make sure that they took care of all those scrapes.
Speaker 1: Oh uh yeah, yes, of course.
Speaker 2: And I found your phone at least I think it's yours.
Speaker 12: God, I hope it's yours or else I stolen somebody's phone.
Speaker 1: It's mine, Thank you, and you're right. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Hello, I am Sylvie. I work here and I.
Speaker 1: Am friends with Corrinne. Oh God, I'm sorry. This is Sylvie, Sylvie. This nicely dressed man pushed me out of the way of a moving car and saved my life. And I never got his name.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm jury, Jurry, havec well.
Speaker 7: Shit.
Speaker 3: Havoctown was created by me Aaron Mankey. The show was written and directed by Nicholas Takowski. This episode was edited and sound designed by Nomes Griffin. Starring Jewels State as Corene Avis, James Callus as Jerry Havoc, Felicia Day as Sylvie Harris, Robin Bloodworth as Jim Bohorn, David Calhoun as Jonathan abbas Charlie, David Newell as Brother Ken, Gina Rikeikey as Sarah Beth Spaulding, with additional voice acting from Kanisha Johnson, Gabriel Menak, Julian Graham, Eric Td Beverly Bremers, Jay Jones, Darren Heemes, Daniel Avi Sarkis, David Davrees, and Aaron Mankey. This season is directed by Nicholas Takowski with assistant directors Sarah Klein and Jake Diamond, casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Our theme song was created by Chris Childs, executive producers Aaron Mankey, Trevor Young, and Matt Frederick, with supervising producer Rima Elkali and producers Nomes Griffin and Jesse f Havoctown is set in the Bridgewater Audio universe, which includes the hit fiction podcasts Bridgewater and Consumed. Learn more about both shows, as well as Havoctown at grimandmild dot com, and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows