Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: The World's a regional podcast, Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: The quarterfinal game was the Morocco in France. It's a good game, you think so.
Speaker 4: They're highly ranked, like Norway has played really well in the World Cup. Allway, mister soccer.
Speaker 5: He would just dribble into two guys and try to have this slick footwork.
Speaker 3: But like you got to pass to listen, I played soccer. I understand, I understand the game, you guys wucagu's allegend I got a bad case of.
Speaker 4: A content to let Belichick take over as the head coach until he won the fifteen games that he needs.
Speaker 6: How many years was that going to break?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 6: Also some other news, Alex and I were talking in the fleet are moving.
Speaker 7: To be you?
Speaker 6: They're gonna move to aghanist arena. Who I'm the.
Speaker 8: Loser who wrote in last week mentioning that I listened to old shows Evan mock Meet.
Speaker 3: It's hugely embarrassing to be mocked by Evan.
Speaker 1: This is Patriot's Unfiltered.
Speaker 2: Presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: All Right, welcome the Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 8: It is Wednesday here at Chilette Stadium, and I almost got that wrong, a special Wednesday show because tomorrow is Morocco and France, the last World Cup game here at Boston Stadium. It's a quarter final match, should be a good one. But we're here Wednesday to do our second show of the week and follow up from yesterday. But in the meantime, by the way, it's Paul, it's me, It's Matt and the Booth and Mike Michael. But on your long commute from Sharon, you had some time to think and you came with sort of some not I don't know if it's a take, but some observations.
Speaker 6: Today of the of Mac.
Speaker 3: What you mean, Wow, that's up for you to talk about.
Speaker 6: No, I was just watching Mac Jones on Busting with the Boys and that was I think posted yesterday. Always interesting to hear the perspective of the player who we spent plenty of time talking about and you know, reviewing all the decisions that were made around him, and you know, nothing, nothing earth shattering.
Speaker 9: I think it was just interesting to hear kind.
Speaker 6: Of Max perspective and now he handled it, and you know he was big on like you know, it all kind of started when Josh lest you know that was like and saying, you would have liked the chance in his second year to you know, have built on what they had. And you know that at one point that he thought Bill was going to be the one calling plays and that they never really hired anybody, and then that they were kind of figuring it out in camp as we plainly observed throughout that summer.
Speaker 9: He said that they really made.
Speaker 6: Some major changes to the offense just before the opener against Miami, and he just never really found a comfort zone and as a young player, was never really you know, comfortable standing up or you And the same thing was happy, like he said, you know, he's a good guy. We weren't great friends, but I felt like we were supportive of each other. But it was, you know, just a difficult situation with two young quarterbacks and you know, mentioned the media storm around that and the controversy and you know just how it was kind of difficult to navigate.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about the situation.
Speaker 8: You're a second year player and your hard headed head coach makes a decision that for most people thought what the hell is he doing? And as a second year quarterback, you're finding out over time this was a bad decision. Yeah, and you're trying to navigate through that, and every time you do, you're building a bigger wedge between you and the head coach because you're questioning his decision. And probably there was a point where Bill realized it was a bad decision, but you know he'll double down. You're already down there, right, Yeah, and then he had the reaching out to people at Alabama for help and that was the end of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, No, he did say that first year they were you know, him and Bill used to have breakfast together and that they would joke around, and he said, you know, something kind of started to change after the second year, and you know we said, look, we're not exactly the same kind of personality. We can all see that Max kind of goofy, and you know he's just Bill's very serious. You talked about one time Maca scored a touchdown and did the gritty again and Bill was yelling at him in the film session for like doing it away from his teammates. So you know, I think we could all see that it was maybe a little oil and water with that relationship.
Speaker 9: But again, nothing groundbreaking.
Speaker 6: The one thing I did say to Paul that I didn't remember was I think the Chicago game was kind of a famous inflection point when Justin Fields went wild here and and I didn't remember, but Maxa going into that, they told him it was going to be a rotation, Like they just grabbed him in the hall and they're like, and he felt like, you know, I got hurt. I felt like I was playing okay, we were a couple of plays away in those first few games that we could have maybe won, and I didn't really have a chance to like at least get back there and re establish myself.
Speaker 8: So and that was one of the most painful high ankle spraints ever.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, you know, anyone ever certainly looked at.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but uh no, it's you know, it's so funny.
Speaker 6: You get so wrapped up in the current team and Drake May and how cool it is and we love Drake May and all the Drake Drake May May and all that stuff, and you kind of flash back to those few years with Mac and all the hopes and dreams that were put on him following Cam Newton and all that. Uh so I was a little bit of a you know, a flashback to those all that stuff.
Speaker 8: Hadn't happened, we wouldn't be where we are now, right, I hope.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad it happened.
Speaker 8: But I do feel a little bad for him, Not that I'm a huge Mac Jones fan, but.
Speaker 3: He got done dirty. Yeah, a little bit. He did not get a fair shake here.
Speaker 6: It seems like he's found his place now, and you know we I mean, how much time do we spend talking about Kyle Shannon really likes Mac Jones. You might trade to remember that was like the big rum of it. But it seems like he's in a pretty good spot. I mean, going back to that ESPN rank and rosters, they say, you know that their best position quarterback, and they mentioned not only know that brought perties really good, but you know that they have a good backup that they that they trust in Mac. Now, so, uh, good for him, didn't work out here, But just always interesting to hear the player's perspective on these things that we talk about every week for six hours on Patriots Unfiltered and on the pre and post game show and spend hours and hours analyzing and then you know a lot of times when this happens, you.
Speaker 9: Hear their perspective and you're like, yeah, no, we we knew what we We kind of.
Speaker 6: Had a beat on it, even though we weren't in the midig of it and everything, you know, like it was, you know, there's some specific little nuggets here and there of maybe things we weren't privileged too. But you know, I remember that practice, Paul where David Andrews got up at the podium and training camp and was just disgusted, like you could tell like it just wasn't going good.
Speaker 9: And that was you know what mac Relay it is.
Speaker 6: You know, during camp we were like this, they knew, like this ain't going to be good this year.
Speaker 4: You know, you guys know me. It's always it's about me. It's about us now, right, it's about the show.
Speaker 8: And I know you guys right from the get go said this is not a good decision, But.
Speaker 4: It's not about necessarily like prettys are one thing, because I mean, you make predictions, you're gonna get plenty of.
Speaker 3: Them wrong too, But this was a failing.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is when you watch something unfold and you're analyzing it as it's happening, and you're saying this is not right, and that's not right, and it looks like this is happening and you have no idea because no one's telling you on the record that these are the things that are happening. And I always liked to sort of be validated. So I'm not saying like I'm validated because oh I knew Matt Patricia wasn't a good choice, like he just as easily could have been a good job, like predictions whatever, Like I said, But when you're watching this unfold and you're like, this is dysfunctional. They look like they're not on the same page. They look like the quarterback, why is Bill Belichick not saying the quarterback's name?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 4: While you're finding out that was all true? Like that's what I kind of like when you when you're able to analyze something in real time and then you find out, you know later that you you were pretty close, you had it all pretty pretty much, that's right.
Speaker 8: That's sort of my prediction with the two js. I just knew the way that the body language, how they came out in the public, it just it just didn't feel right.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel right.
Speaker 4: That's kind of yeah. I think that's a perfect comparison. Yeah, it just you don't know for sure that it's going to happen, and you're not necessarily predicting, you're just watching.
Speaker 10: You like, this isn't right.
Speaker 4: Like I watched, you know, when Tom Brady was here and the communication in the way things were unfolding, and you could see it deteriorating at the end. You saw it. You saw a difference, and then you saw a difference between rookie year Mac Jones and second year Mac Jones the way the quarterback and the way the coaching quarterback were communicating in this case, really not communicating. You know, we're watching training camp practices and we're like, who's calling the place? We don't know? Then they're more concerned with not it's because they didn't know either, you know.
Speaker 6: It's like too Max was like you know, sometimes it was Matty p early on, then it was Joe Judge Bill was in calling plays.
Speaker 4: So sometimes you just watch and you look and you're like, this doesn't feel right. This is not going in the right direction now. I also, like, I think Mac Jones is also and I think certainly everything you guys just said you feel a little bit for a second year quarterback was kind of done dirty.
Speaker 10: I think two things can be true.
Speaker 4: As I've said millions of times about this, I don't really think he handled any of it well either. I think he could have been a better teammate and handled it. I think he's exaggerating about the changes in the offense and things like that. I had heard stuff that he was pushing back on the offense very early in the offseason when they was first, you know, so i'd heard behind the scenes from people telling me that he was not receptive to what was going on and he was pushing it. In other words, he didn't even give it a chance. So you can be right, which I think gets back to Jalen Brown a little bit. He can be right in that he doesn't think the offense is running as efficiently as with all these three pointers. But that's the offense, and you're supposed to try to make it work, and you're openly trying not to make it work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're sabotaging it.
Speaker 6: And he said and said the same thing I think we talked about with like, you know, meetings like who stands up in front and who speaks to the offense and who you know those you know, just the rhythm of the weeks and how those you know, everything unfolds with meetings and practices.
Speaker 9: I think football players and athletes in.
Speaker 6: General just love to have routine and to know who I'm listening to and know, you know, what the line of demarcation is. But you know, it just it gives me back to and this kind of feeds into and I also I sent you some quotes from from Belichick's book. I read Belichick's book over vacation as well, and it's just, you know, it's still it's like, why did it all go sideway? You know, why why was that the decision to you know, just stick with Matty p And did it have to become so insular and you know, we can't go outside, we can't kind of look to new voices. And you know, that's that's one of the unfortunate parts I guess of how that whole thing unraveled over, you know, because twenty twenty one it was felt rejuvenated. There was a point of time. I remember that Atlanta win where it's like, oh, the Patriots are back, Like there are problems, you know, there was a moment in time in twenty twenty one where and granted probably Fool's goal at that point that you know that that what they the teams that they were beating in the style that they were doing it, But that twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three season, man, it was it was just seemed like.
Speaker 9: It was circling the toilet right from the get gos.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you know, Bill's personality is one to when things start to go south, to like you said, go more insular. Yeah, you know, close that circle because he doesn't trust anybody. Yeah, well there wasn't trust anyone. He didn't trust us, He didn't he doesn't trust anybody.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean one of the crazy quotes I thought that that I highlighted and I shared with Paul and with you Fred was just you know, Bill saying, when things go wrong in this business, it's usually about ego. And I was like, yeah, you know, so that was that was just a couple other you know, tidbits to share if anybody wants to check it out.
Speaker 9: I mean, I thought it was pretty good.
Speaker 6: I mean I'd like some more like you know, specific stories, and it was more kind of like, well, this is how you got to do it instead of like a reflection. But some some Vrabel, I mean high praise for Mike Rabel throughout.
Speaker 9: One quote was that, you know, Rabel used to.
Speaker 6: Run the conditioning test with the defensive backs like as a flex because he could. And the other thing that I thought was interesting and we talked about it a lot, was he but you know, said my fault on the on not kicking the field goal in Super Bowl forty two. I was late to recognize that, you know, I mean, Paul's got a great round about this too, but you know, late to recognize how the game was unfolding. And you know, we always talk about how did the game declare itself? You know, and and here it was declaring itself that you know, to Paul's point, the offense really hadn't been itself since maybe November. Uh maybe that last Steelers game. I remember I was here. They unleashed on him. But now interesting, he said, you know, as Bill says his favorite saying, I F that one up. That's one of those he has a whole thing on. He just say I F that one up.
Speaker 9: We can all move on and know how to blame it. And he took he took responsibility for that call.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, twenty years later.
Speaker 9: Well nineteen yeah, I mean that and Stephen goold.
Speaker 6: Rob that was mentioned in there. That was mentioned, Thebbie Gold, the lamenting Robbie Gold go in there.
Speaker 4: It's the thing that bugs me about that is that he makes it out to be just that game, right, Like in that game the Giants defense was playing. Yeah, the Giants defense did play better than you know, and they had a great plan and we all know what happened. But the offense had been slowing down, and he sort of, you know, she he should have been recognizing that the week before against the Chargers, they only scored twenty one points at home in the AFC Championship game. I think Brady had a few picks in that game. They had been slowing down a little. They had a twenty to ten game late in the year against the Jets, of all teams.
Speaker 3: Teams for figuring them out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, they had the thirty eight to thirty five game against the Giants in the last game of the year, And maybe that's what he was thinking of, is like, this is the same defense. But to me, that's all the more reason to say like, we can't expect to do the same thing we just did five or six weeks ago against this opponent.
Speaker 10: They're gonna decision.
Speaker 3: It was a good coach who makes adjustment.
Speaker 4: Right, So I just felt like, yeah, that was a fourth and thirteen. Come on, that was a little that was I thought Huberts. I thought like, this is my offense. We haven't been stopped all year, and we're going to put our big you know what's on the table, and we're going to show everybody how tough we are. And I think that was just ego getting in a way again.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Yeah, that was a forty eight yard field goal. It's it's almost a chip shot, right mostly.
Speaker 4: And what he's not saying there he's putting he's now he's saying, I f'd up whatever. And I wonder, and I'm sure he didn't get into it purposely. I wonder if I had anything to do with any kind of a lack of faith in Gostowski at the time. You know, and I don't know, a lot of people have just automatically attached that's which I don't think is fair, but a lot of people, evidently Fred is attached based.
Speaker 8: On that you're a confident and your kicker. I don't think it would be a hard decision. Yeah, yeah, it would be an easy decision.
Speaker 3: I mean, he miss put the three points on the board.
Speaker 6: Had he missed some recent kicks, I don't really remember now, Like.
Speaker 10: No, he didn't really have it. He didn't really have any big kicks.
Speaker 3: That's the problem. He hadn't the opportunity he had.
Speaker 4: I mean, he had to go ahead field goal in six as a rookie. But it was you know, I think it was Chargers game. Yeah, I don't think it was a bomber. It was like forty yard forty five yards maybe, I don't know it was there. It was a decent sized field goal.
Speaker 8: Anyway, that game, that game, that's the worst contest.
Speaker 6: Right, that's the worst one. It's impossible that the worst.
Speaker 8: In your opinion, Paul, is that game.
Speaker 3: Ah, does that game.
Speaker 8: Hurt more than any of the super bowls that we won feel good about other? Do you feel worse about that than you felt good about a Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: So that's the whole coaches ken under him, Right, That's when a lot of coaches say it's time to get out. When the losses hurt, you know, far more than the wins.
Speaker 10: You feel good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of time to get out that one. Yeah, I don't know if you would say. I mean, I would certainly trade in a win for that one, because I think the undefeated nature would be so much more. Thirty one yards Oh it was only a thirty one yard or Okay.
Speaker 8: Those fourteen and sixteen Super Bowl wins though, were just unbelievable. Oh yeah, you know the sixteen one was a building type of tidle wave that you saw it coming, but in fourteen was just lightning, I know, hit. You know, different amazing wins, different types of amazing wins.
Speaker 6: Brady got the twenty eight to three mem popped up again yesterday with a few different places after that.
Speaker 9: After the comeback we saw here that was.
Speaker 10: What should we go after?
Speaker 4: Shifter for this, you want to know, why should you do a little season desist action?
Speaker 6: He keeps using your logo. I don't like that was in mine. It was two seventeen, not to twelve. That's how I can always tell. If the time is not to twelve, it's they got it from somewhere else.
Speaker 9: But it's always.
Speaker 6: As you see the shootout to last night. The shootout was it did pretty crazy Fitzland and Columbia. Yeah, yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Another riveting is that at times.
Speaker 8: Switzerland beating them, is that an upsets.
Speaker 6: The World Cup rankings? Were they?
Speaker 4: It was funny because we I don't know if you were it, I was, like I was, it was. It was a weird matchup. Like I've seen so many different games or parts of games, and I hadn't really seen any of those two countries playing Switzerland and Columbia. I hadn't seen any of their games previously. But I don't I don't know which one was the better one. But that's how I figured this out. It's like when they put them up, they kind of tell you, like who's supposed to win?
Speaker 3: Zach and Fresno.
Speaker 8: We're talking about twenty eight three, he said, you know, you guys got off before Argentina's comeback win yesterday. A lot of people have compared it to twenty.
Speaker 3: Eight to three. Do you think it's a good comparison, I.
Speaker 9: Mean, two goals down in soccer seems.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think it's I think.
Speaker 3: It's pretty similarly eight minutes left in the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's pretty similar.
Speaker 6: I don't know that. I mean, it kind of goes back to what we talked about with like your thing Fred about there's not a lot of like analysis that goes into like the scheme of soccer, like you just kind of have to get a shot, you know. And I when I look at that comeback, I think about like the sacks that had to happen, the.
Speaker 9: Turnovers that need to you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: There was like, yeah, it was great, like and it's really hard to score and you know all that, but I also think like you had to get more numbers of things right and you had no margin for error down the.
Speaker 8: End football is it's a series of plays, Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Which is slowed down which there might have been like this pass and this little that makes it different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes it different. But I I mean there was a million different things they had to go right for Argentina.
Speaker 10: Thing like not that you know, I mean.
Speaker 6: It's more slow and like unfolding one by more, going all the way back to the foul call twenty minutes after they scored a goal.
Speaker 9: Right and like that's just the perfect cross with the header on.
Speaker 4: That and the guy like Fred was all over the defense. You oh my god, there was a lot that was. I mean, I think it was comparable. I think you to score three goals the last whatever it was like twelve minutes plus. I think it was like seventy eight was the seventy ninth minute over, so so eleven minutes plus whatever they put on for extra time, which was nothing because Argentina had to lead by that time. I don't I know this is offending like a lot of our international listeners, but I don't know how you guys watch that sport. It's so corrupt. It's so corrupt.
Speaker 6: How you keep track of time? That's my big thing. I've grown to appreciate a lot of different things more about to watch.
Speaker 3: It's like just like a mini tablet on their wrists.
Speaker 6: I guess it's my thing where I'm just I feel like I'm so tied to time and like how much time is left and what is it? And like even when they got into the you know, the Game of the night where it was in extra time.
Speaker 11: And I'm like, it's still just as complicated. I can't figure out it's like ninety seven, Like that's when there's an injury during the stoppage time? Are they adding more tail here?
Speaker 3: They are that's what they do.
Speaker 10: They just don't tell you.
Speaker 3: They try to.
Speaker 8: You know obviously you know, balls out bounds and stuff like that, but they try to keep it as much as close to ninety minutes of play as possible, Like legit, play.
Speaker 6: Ball is moving like that's like any time it's out of bounds.
Speaker 4: If it's out of bounds, they just keeps going. If it's an injury or like the hydration breik stuff like that, or like I assume they add some if it's a goal.
Speaker 8: Score celebrations, that celebrations VAR so that ret the whole time is just like a map.
Speaker 4: I mean if you just had the var after that goal that they took away from from Egypt in that game, like that had to be four minutes alone.
Speaker 10: That delay, well that's between.
Speaker 4: The celebration when the guy ripped his shirt off and they're all celebrating and then they find out they're going you know right, uh you know, and they only added four minutes.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like the ref union ever be like, hey, we'd like to not also be the timekeeper, Like can we just get a timekeeper too? Like why do I have to call all the penalties they have?
Speaker 4: I don't know, if you guys have ever seen it. But there's a school board and there's a button that says on a clock on and off, and all you have to do is when the ref blows the whistle, you turn the clock off, and when the balls put back in play, you put it on.
Speaker 10: And how many times that's how they do it in the other sports.
Speaker 6: Like at the end of the game and it's a one goal game and the team is pressing, and you're like, but the question, I don't know how much times listen.
Speaker 3: I have if you did that.
Speaker 8: How much longer would the game be if you just gave it to this Because in all our sports, the maximum it's is the longest sport we have is sixty minutes. You know, basketball is forty eight, hockey sixty.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a ninety minute game.
Speaker 4: But I could even but I could even relent to you a point about like when the ball's out of bounds and it's just a throw in, okay, so we don't have to blow the ref doesn't have to blow the whistle there. You can just leave the clock running. Then just stop it. When a guy is hurt, stop it, when a goal is scored, stop it. If the referee has to go and look at the var right, you can do it. We can figure this out. We can figure this out.
Speaker 8: There's a reason, like you know, if you're winning, ball goes out of bounds, you know, kind of meander.
Speaker 4: It's a total strategy. The goalie is all anytime that you have a lead and the goalie gets the ball, he goes to the ground and what do you say this eight he has eight seconds to put it back and play. Yeah, so there's eight seconds that the clock's not running. It just keeps.
Speaker 8: Running the way that is now at least, you know, like if I meander, he's just going to add more time on. So I'm not really getting away with much right right, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: They don't add any time for meandering. They only add time for injury.
Speaker 8: I don't know about that, and I don't know, but I would love to sit down with somebody who really.
Speaker 3: Understress Argentine is losing and and explain.
Speaker 8: Why they count up and why they do it that way.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, it's just to.
Speaker 6: Me, it's the end of game, because you know, any sport, it's a one goal game, it's a one score game.
Speaker 9: You're tied to the clock.
Speaker 6: I mean especially hockey basketball, like you are like three two.
Speaker 10: Thing, how much time has got to go?
Speaker 4: What he knows that's good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just I wonder what it's like as a player where you're like, I mean, I guess you just you can't think about the time, like you just have.
Speaker 3: To make you know, there's a funny but this way we never have to stop.
Speaker 4: It is funny how many different things like you know, you you and Evan got into your semantics argument about like the americanization of sock, you know, like why can't they just use the term But like it's almost like they go out of their way for everything has to be different, Like it's not it's you know, it's not a final, it's it's it's fun. It's full time, right right, it's not over time, it's extra time. It's not zero it's nil. It's not the field, it's a pitch, it's you know, it's you know, we can't have the clock go down to zero. We have to have it go up to nine. Like everything has to be different.
Speaker 9: Why, well you don't have to worry about it for another four years, Paul.
Speaker 4: I know that was the only I was the silver lining of the lossity the other night is well, I guess I can.
Speaker 6: Going on four years and I don't want to be labor the whole development thing again. But I feel like my phone was listening to me and I got fed a ton of stuff over the last twenty four hours about you know, the development programs and the models over there, and especially after our game.
Speaker 4: I think, but I think I said very specifically yesterday that the youth sports model in the US is broken in all sports. Yeah, I don't well, I would never dispute that. Just it's broken. It could be done in a much better and more efficient way.
Speaker 8: I just watched a short on YouTube with Beckham and this was he was being interviewed and he said when he first came over here to play in MLS in LA, he asked the owner, either the owner of the team or a commissioner, you know, what's the academy system like here? You know how many teams have academies and at the time none of them did. He says, that's got to change.
Speaker 4: He was ik' the REVS academy is that new?
Speaker 8: That's what he said. He said, there were no academies at the time. Maybe and I've been about the risk anyway, I'm just saying what he said. And he said, you have to have an academy system. That's the only way you're going to develop in your country because I came up through academy. Everybody I know came up through some academy system, right, And he said, now this is a recent interview. Just now every team in the MLS has an academy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One of the things I was fair was just that over in Europe you're incentivized to develop players and your program benefits monetarily when you develop good players, whereas here it's pay to play. Everybody pays, and there's no benefit to the program if players are successful. It's just about getting money and trying to win games. So yeah, I mean, it's it's it's completely different, you know, And that's I think is it's goes back to what we've talked about.
Speaker 9: It just it's so ingrained top to bottom of the.
Speaker 6: Culture, the the you know, the whole problems parameters that they have set up for it. But you know, the other point was just you know, relegation and that and promotion and how you know, some people over there wonder with the MLS. That's what's come in last place, there's no consequences.
Speaker 9: That's interesting way to look at it.
Speaker 6: I mean, we joked about relegation where Patriots are playing a relegation schedule last year.
Speaker 4: They know the Baseball League where they had now the Boston Park League had relegation because they had at the time, they had a junior park league and it's called the Yockey League now. But the champ of the Yockey League would take the place of the team that finished in last place in the Park League.
Speaker 10: Allegation.
Speaker 8: Yeah, some incentive, as long as you have enough teams to support that system, do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's it's I mean hockey's going this way too, where there's academies and all these things opening up where kids are you know, going to basically zoom school so that they can play hockey all the time. And you know, I just wonder, are these in the best interest of the players and developing the players to the best level or is this just about give us your money and your kids can play hockey twenty four to seven and you know, maybe they'll go play D three college and you know, and that's great, but some of these kids I think go in having pro aspirations and it's you know, I just hate the fact of take making of parents harder money and selling a kid a bunch of stuff about you're going to end up in the pros if you come with us, and he is no prayer.
Speaker 4: That was one element of this. And again I think we talked about it yesterday. I know Alex was I thought had a lot of interesting perspective as a former player about it, and I agree, like the model doesn't doesn't work. It's not the most efficient model that they could have. But I just feel like some of it is sort of overlooked.
Speaker 10: Like I think that.
Speaker 4: You know, with soccer, I think that there's still like that, just that lack of passion. Like one of the things that people were talking about with these programs was the goal was in US is for a Division one scholarship. Why is that a bad goal? Why is that a bad goal?
Speaker 9: It's a great goal.
Speaker 4: Now, I understand that parents are crazy and every thinks their kid's going to be a Division one athlete. That's a different issue. That's a whole different issue. But like one of the guys that wrote a long passionate Slammy was a former college soccer player I'm like, what's wrong with that? Yeah, Like, does everybody that plays a sport have to aspire to be one of the twenty best and be on the national team? Whatever many you are on the US national team.
Speaker 3: I guess there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 8: But if that's the pinnacle, then as a country, you're gonna fall short.
Speaker 4: No, I understand that, but like it just we look at this as like, you know, in a denigrating fashion, like what our goal.
Speaker 10: Was for to go to college in well, I mean college.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of people that if they could play a sport in college and get their education paid for.
Speaker 10: I feel like we're doing all right here.
Speaker 3: Let's do It's great? Yeah, how much college costs? He's all right?
Speaker 8: Eight five to five past five hundred is the Hotline podcast at pitches dot com. Yeah, let's talk about anything. Uh, Nate in Connecticut.
Speaker 7: We can hear you, Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 12: So this is kind of early for this. I praged actually probably very early, but the roster cutdown day is sometime in August, and you know, before you know, it's going to be right there, right right before us. You guys have any names you want to throw out that could be on the possible Cup candidate list names that probably aren't going to be on the team this year.
Speaker 3: So, Mike, you have the it's going to be about.
Speaker 10: Guys they're going to get cut the cut.
Speaker 9: I mean, otis rees Khalil.
Speaker 8: I mean there's a ton of guys' names that who I don't even know that won't be on the team. But are you talking more like surprise cuts or because.
Speaker 12: I'm talking, uh, you know, mix of anything.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I mean it's going to be forty.
Speaker 3: Guys cut about, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't have a like a surprise off the top of my head right now. I'd have to sort of wait and see what personnel grouping start to look like a week in and see like a veteran who, Hey, how come he seems to be running with the Kyle Tucker Yeah last year?
Speaker 6: Hey what happens?
Speaker 4: He's not necessarily out there with, you know, with the regulars. What's going on?
Speaker 6: I think I think the more interesting question is who are the depth guys that make it, because I think when you look at the starting eleven and maybe on the offensive side of the ball, I could even go to like fourteen fifteen sixteen ish.
Speaker 9: Who are the guys after that?
Speaker 6: Because I feel great about the starting eleven on defense, I think the defense eleven twelve guys, I mean locked in great players, not a lot of places I feel like they need to upgrade if everybody's healthy, of course, but you know who are the extra defensive lineman, who's the extra guard, who you know, the tight end, who's gonna with Julian Hill going out? Who kind of slips into that spotbacker? You know, linebacker? What guy you know steps into the role that Jack Gibbons had last year. So I know who the top guys are, it's just who are going to be the surprises? And I mean I was talking on the radio this morning and the same point I made with the defense of like, you know, they're kind of stuck in nickel a little bit. I'm curious how they're gonna be able to get to dim or down to base and still be really you know, put their best players on the field. But you know that the thing that stood out to me last year he yet a lot of development from players that we haven't seen in recent years. You know, a guy like Craig Woodson, I don't think we've seen that recently, where a rookie comes in, we weren't really you know, we didn't really know what to expect for him, and he, you know, pretty much plays the whole season and gets better and looks like he's playing his best football at the end.
Speaker 9: You know, can that happen again this year?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm looking at the roster here and you know, we saw a little bit out of a guy like Leonard Taylor last year, Corey Dirten or you guys who got opportunities and seemingly going into the off season, the coaching staff looked at them and said, you know, we don't have to go out and address defensive tackle because I think what they're telling us is that they like these guys. I mentioned it yesterday and Badard said, you know, he thinks they like Elijah Ponder. Can he become an effective part of this defensive rotation. So that's where the biggest intrigue to me is, you know, it's a guy like Braiden Swinson come out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Year two, he wasn't. We didn't see anything on him last year. That's where it's going to be interesting to me because I could probably rattle off what thirty ish of the cuts right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just don't off the top of my head, I can't think of one that would be like a surprise cut, like someone that you go into camp saying this veteran, because like none of the guys that Mike just mentioned would be you know, Okay, so Chad Muma gets cut and kJ Britt stays or the other way around, Like that's not necessarily a surprise Elijah Ponder or Braiden Swinson.
Speaker 10: But does you know some young I don't know, does a young.
Speaker 3: Guard Bryan or does Kayden Wallace?
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, so Kayden Wallace.
Speaker 4: Does Kayden Wallace all of a sudden ascend to a level that we haven't seen in his first two years and he's like a starting caliber right guard and Mike o Winhu, who's in the last year of his deal, is now expendable. That to me would be a stunning cut if something like that were to happen. But you don't know that that's about to happen until you start to see it in practice every day, like, hey, why is Kayden Wallace out there instead of Michael Went's.
Speaker 6: A good way, that's a really good way to put I think you know, not just going into camp knowing nothing that all this guy might be in the outs. But that happens all the time in the NFL, where a younger, cheaper player like.
Speaker 4: Dugger was that guy like Craig Woodson had progressed to the point that none of us had sort of understood that the coaches obviously did, and the coaches got it right. I was critical of it, if you recall, I again not afraid to admit when you're wrong. That's why, Like I don't really toot my horn on a prediction that's right. Like, I didn't see Craig Woodson being that caliber of a starter in year one as a fourth round pick, but he was. He was pretty steady for them all year, and I thought he got better as the year went on, and he made Kyle Dugger expendable. Yeah, and that was, you know, sort of one of those cuts that Yeah, I mean, you might not say it was a surprise because of the contract. People kind of thought maybe he could go, But yeah, I figure those out as you go.
Speaker 8: Loril is in San Francisco. What's up, Loril? Loril, can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yes? We can.
Speaker 7: Awesome, AWO, thank you for taking the call. Actually, I hate to take you guys back a little bit, but I just wanted to kind of go back to we were talking about before to give you more context. I've been the Patch fans. I was like nine years old, and I always think about this Bill and Brady theme that people talk about and one of the things I always kind of think back to. And Brady was just on with Kelsey with the Kelsey Brothers and they asked him about Bill, and I love that he described it as Bill was the great person, the greatest coach to have like till Sunday, till the day to the day of the game, because you'll prepare you for the game, right. But we've seen Bill get to a point where he was dysfunctional. If have we ever seen Brady be dysfunctional? Like we're like, That's what I always think back to when they compare that conversation. And that's where y'all took me to. I talked about mac Joel's where he went through, like we saw dysfunction with Bill when age came and tenure came. If back then we would have picked Brady and maybe Bill would have left the path, it would I think that the pat still would have been a functional team that maybe wouldn't have won another Super Bowl like he did with Tampa. But I still think we would have saw we would have never saw any dysfunction as Pats fans. And that's what I always think back to when we talk about this Brady and Build thing. I'm glad that we haven't both by the way, I wouldn't change anything about it. But that's one thing that I never hear people talk about. That is always all was a Brady was a Bill?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 7: And to me, that's always when I said, back, we've never seen Brady kind of fail the life. I don't know, Paul, if you.
Speaker 4: Want to pick it uPAR part of you know, I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't pick it apart.
Speaker 4: I would say there was a lot of dysfunction with Brady and Belichick at Danks LOREO. I mean, I think if you didn't, this is another one you sort of We talked about it at the time and people back and then you get a documentary series that tells you, well, no, no, no, there was plenty of dysfunction. You know. Devin mccordy and Matthew Slater would explain to you just how icy it was between Belichick, and it was on both ends, and it was partly Brady's fault too, Like I'm always critical of Belichick, but it was partly Brady's fault too, with his insistence on on Alex Guerrero and all that stuff, and him sort of funneling his receivers to his way of thinking. I mean, that's that's divisive. So that's that's dysfunction, and some of that was Brady's. I mean, I think the Lions share was Belichick's fault, but some of it was Brady's.
Speaker 8: Two you can't have two head trainers for a team, you know, giving opposing opinions and uh, you know, ways to get better. You just can't have that. And even at you know, you know, that season that they were eight no, he was the most miserable eight no quarterback because he saw what was going on and in his mind, the only reason we're eight no is because I'm holding this thing together and I'm tired of it, you know, And he showed that, and of course they went five hundred the rest of the season, right, So yeah, there was dysfunction that way, but because he was so good on the field, it masked it.
Speaker 3: Like so much of what he did mask things over time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean I'm in spackle, Yeah, I mean, I was thinking about on the field, and I just I don't really remember even a game where he didn't at least make a push, you know. There was just off the field certainly, but on the field, I don't.
Speaker 9: I think he had his.
Speaker 8: Bad game, but there was always even moments in those bad games where you never lost hope.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, or you didn't lose hope because it was him, right.
Speaker 4: It's just like a lot of people go into every season when Belichick was here, like they got Belichick so they can They're always a thread. I remember Sports Illustrated picked him to finish first in the division the year they went four and thirteen, and Bill's last year. It was not it was a local Sports Illustrated guy. It's like Connor or guy, not like Peter Kamer.
Speaker 8: Someone anthony' said Seattle, what's up?
Speaker 13: Anthony, Hey, Fred, Deuce, Paul, Hey.
Speaker 4: You guys doing all right?
Speaker 13: All right?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm off on Wednesdays, and so I usually I go to the gym in the morning.
Speaker 3: Star.
Speaker 13: I was just listening up finishing up yesterday's uh episode listening to you guys, and so I hadn't heard the announcement that you guys would be on the air, so kind of right around the same time Fred said it in my headphones and then my phone shined to tell me you guys are on the air. I'm like, oh, nice little surprise.
Speaker 3: So nice.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I just wanted to call in connect with you guys. I'm calling it and I got a lot, but I'm calling in today humbly, pat in hand requesting if I can love to get a hold of one of those those Patriots on unfiltered T shirts. I feel like I spent a good a good amount of time listening to you guys while working out. Usually got on a Patriot's shirt and I'm listening to the PEU with my headphones, and I got this image of me just having the PU T shirt, you know, sweat, going the pump and all that good stuff.
Speaker 8: So we can arrange that if you stay on the line, maybe and uh just might take taken over for Matt the booth.
Speaker 3: He can get your info and Alex.
Speaker 8: Alexa you guys, okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, send us an email at podcasts at Patriots dot com with your address and your size, and that I'll get it out to you the next few months.
Speaker 14: Okay, how did I know?
Speaker 3: Thanks Anthony? All Right, Anthony's he's a good call.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask him if he's going to the to the opener, Uh, you know, and shoot, I don't know how many days it is now, but it feels like it's coming up quick. I was one thing I thought watching that game the other night in Seattle, was I mean, obviously the American fans were going crazy, but the Seattle fans are going to be going crazy at that game too.
Speaker 9: It's going to be That's gonna be a cool game.
Speaker 8: How weird do you think it'll be playing on a Wednesday? How screwed up is that going to be?
Speaker 9: Because it's the first game.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it'll I mean, I think it'll feel weirder, weirder the week after, you know, like whos we have like because it'll be cool, we get to what we get to watch the opening games on Sunday, you know, and that that. But then I think I'll be I'm already looking.
Speaker 4: Forward to it. They better get me in my red zone back by the NFL Network.
Speaker 3: In terms of your mental clock, do you think it'll.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't think it's I mean, I usually in the season, I feel like when you're on rhythm you get thrown off, but where we're not really and then it's like the pseason ends and you got a couple of weeks and then I mean, it's gonna be a weird Labor Day if you're a big Labor Day fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, an V.
Speaker 4: I don't really. I think Mike's right because it's at the beginning of the season. You haven't really started anything yet, so yeah, your clock, it's just like, oh, well, well that's for all you know, it's Sunday and just yeah, just started, you know.
Speaker 6: Speaking of the schedule, I don't know if you guys saw, but the NFL changed their schedule a little bit next off season. They pushed the combine back to the first week of March.
Speaker 3: And hit interrupt.
Speaker 15: But uh, audio just cut out on all the feeds, So give us one second. All right, we're going to slate right now, so you know, you guys don't know how mics We're back.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 10: Everything we said before is actually right.
Speaker 8: At what point did we lose audio so that we can right after the call? I know, you giving me a thumbs up, But at what point did we lose audio?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Like what were we talking about?
Speaker 6: No need to repeat. The combine has been pushed a week, but it's also the tampering periods now going to so there's not like going to be the two weeks in between.
Speaker 3: So when is the combine.
Speaker 6: The combine is going to start Monday, March first, which is about a week later than it usually is.
Speaker 9: And then it'll wrap up.
Speaker 10: That is a little bit or just because of the when it's schedule.
Speaker 6: The calendar, but then the tampering period is going to start whatever mark's eighth, you know, so it's there's not going to be that March months. Last year, well, usually there was two weeks in between, so you'd have the combine would end on a Sunday, then you'd have like two full weeks, then you'd have the tampering period start and free agency would.
Speaker 9: Officially new new league year would.
Speaker 6: Open on Wednesday.
Speaker 9: So it's just a little more condensed.
Speaker 6: But as uh, you know just that that so much conversation goes on at the combine that's going to feed directly into the start of tampering and free agency.
Speaker 9: So I think.
Speaker 6: It's probably going to make the combine a little bit more hectic for the executives trying to you know, position everything, get all their ducks in a row. I wonder if there might be teams to pull back on the combine part of it because they don't need to be there. They're more focused on free agency the start of the new year, and they'll get caught up on the draft. So just a slight tweak from the NFL keeping us on our toast.
Speaker 8: It's interesting, Anthony writes in about the dysfunction. You guys brought up a good point to the divisiveness of the team during the end of the dynasty. I'm sure there is more to it, But do you guys think the Alex Guerrero situation is the driving factor to Brady and Bill's rocky relationship. I don't know if it's the driving factor, but it was a big factor.
Speaker 4: I agree, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think it speaks to a bigger kind of control. And you know, as Tom grew into himself, I mean, you've heard him talk so many times about Alex Guerrero now of I mean talking, I mean I saw it again where I forget what year was maybe two thousand and five, where like they doctors wanted to go in into surgery and cut through the ten in his legs, and he said, Guerrero will have like, you know, an hour or two with him, and he never felt that pain again. So I understand why he would be a true believer you know, in this I and and want to you know, incorporate that into the team.
Speaker 9: But I do think that was you know, major point.
Speaker 6: But I think it's a bigger thing about power and influence within within the organization, you know, yeah, trying to make sure. I'm sure Tom developed a point of view that he wanted to have fulfilled and Bill had his own.
Speaker 8: Now here's a little bit of trivia. Do you know who introduced Alex Guerrera to Tom Brady?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, Willie McGinn.
Speaker 3: You know, people forget that fal did. No, it's uh.
Speaker 8: But also then I think Giselle was a driving factor to the division.
Speaker 9: That's why I'm not worried about Josh Allen as much anymore.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, and it's and justin Herbert to like if you're you know, dating actress musician, I think it's uh, you know, I think that there's there's gonna be a lot going on for those guys.
Speaker 9: I think I'll be distracted this year.
Speaker 6: The whole crew in there.
Speaker 3: Now, let's see Jack and and Abba.
Speaker 8: Jack about the developmental systems for use sports, he says an effective model for the development of youth sports teams in the US is the USA Hockey National Team Development Program. The NTDP is thriving, and it consistently produces players who graduate to major college hockey and the NHL. Other sports should use the NTDP as.
Speaker 4: A model soccer did in the early nineties had the same thing didn't work.
Speaker 6: They're I mean they're expanding that too. Now they're expanding to like a whole like league of teams that.
Speaker 10: You know how you get in that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, money, You.
Speaker 10: Pay a lot of money.
Speaker 4: To play in these travel programs, in these junior leagues. I actually have a family member whose nephew is actually in it right now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, It's it's not easy. It's not easy now.
Speaker 6: I mean a lot of good players, I mean Matthew Bowleie, the Hughes brothers, I mean they certainly.
Speaker 4: Well, the huge family has been mental in the program itself. Yeah, Jack, Jack Hughes's father Jack and Quinn's father, I think Jack and that the father's name is Jack.
Speaker 6: I mean, I kind of would like to cross this over Fred to your thing about Jim flag football, you know, because you're talking flag football is and you know, and we never really nobody says like we need a football development system. I think everybody kind of feels like it's working okay, right, Like does that you know, we have all this like we have to develop, like football doesn't really seem to have that problem.
Speaker 4: I think the difference that soccer needs it. And Alex makes this point, she made it yesterday in the show, and we were talking about it a little bit earlier, and I think this is where the development people have it right. And I'm a little bit simplistic, but they don't have the built in head start with soccer that they do, Like we're ahead of everybody else, and maybe everybody else is catching up because they develop better than we do. And look at you know, the look at all the catch up that basketball has done internationally because they're doing it the same way they do soccer, and you know, and they have the same I would say that probably the same restraints with them with basketball in the European because soccer is number one, so they're getting the second. So that's to me, that's a point in the developmental column. You can do it if you develop properly. We just don't have the passion in the sort of the institutional history with the sport to overcome a bad developmental model, which I again fully admit is bad, and it's bad in all sports. The US national development team and hockey is fine, that's great. That's not why we're good in hockey. It's not like, that's not why they won the gold medal. Like, I just feel like people miss that we pay those kids pay a lot of money to play in those programs, and that's wrong. Like there's got to be a better way to do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's I guess. My only hope is that, especially in the in America, is that the talented kid, the special kid who doesn't come from the.
Speaker 10: Resources, he gets a scholars does he?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like, as long as those kids can still find their way into the professional leagues and they're not being held back just because they can't write the check to play on the team that they need to, you know, I think ultimately you'll be okay.
Speaker 8: But it's fine for those kids, and you know, getting the exposure for them.
Speaker 4: And how many kids fall in the middle, right, you know, how many kids might have the talent but not the money, but has enough money that he ain't getting.
Speaker 9: It paid for, you know, right, right? And which is, let's face it, the majority of.
Speaker 6: People, right, And that those kids can if they were able to play in the better leagues surrounded by the better players, then they improve even more dramatically.
Speaker 3: You know, A quick game of who am I already?
Speaker 4: I like games? Player one time of year for games.
Speaker 8: I played for the Patriots from twenty ten to twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: Mike, this is you.
Speaker 8: In my last season with the team, I had seven hundred and forty seven all purpose yards for the team. Okay, and I played running back and scored the first touchdown in Super Bowl. It is that fifty forty five, forty six, forty six, Danny.
Speaker 6: Would Dan, that's a fun story.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't have gotten it until the Super Bowl touchdown.
Speaker 3: Player two.
Speaker 8: I was drafted by the Patriots out of North Carolina State. I played for New England from nineteen ninety to nineteen ninety four and retired in two thousand.
Speaker 4: Ray Agnew Ray Agnew was correct.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't have gotten that one.
Speaker 4: I'm a little proud of myself for that one final one.
Speaker 9: I think I had his football card though, I remember.
Speaker 8: That final one. I won one super Bowl with the Patriots as a cornerback. I went undrafted in two thousand coming out of Georgia Southern think elements when it.
Speaker 4: Comes to my earthwind Moreland.
Speaker 6: That's correct, that's funny.
Speaker 9: What did you guys think of Danny Woodhead?
Speaker 6: I always thought that was like, you know, he was actually pretty good, but he's so try hard.
Speaker 10: No, I did not hate him.
Speaker 3: You didn't like that?
Speaker 4: I mean, no, he was I would say, Okay, so he filled a role, very specific role.
Speaker 6: Since somebody get hurt. Kim fuck right, Kevin funk I hurt? They were out of guys.
Speaker 3: I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Think was gone by then. But if he wasn't, he was close. But that was a role that they had that that someone al was filled. In my view, he was the least effective in that role. Like Kevin Falk, Shane Vereen, James White, all those guys were better than don't you think, better than what had filled for a guy that grabbed off the Jets practice Like Deon Lewis. I think for a short period of time was better than him. Now maybe would have did it a little longer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Kevin Fogg, Yeah, you had two games, two starts. I think that was it then for him, and they just had Ben Jarvis green Ellis. Fred Taylor only lasted seven.
Speaker 4: Fred Taylor was a disaster.
Speaker 6: Sammy Morris was around, so he's kind of more. This is twenty ten, still have Ben Jarvis green Ellis, who rushed for one thousand and eight yards with thirteen touchdowns. Not a bad year. Wood had had ninety seven attemts five hundred and forty seven yards, five touchdowns, thirty four receptions three hundred seventy nine yards.
Speaker 4: I mean Wood had filled a you know, he filled a role.
Speaker 6: That's what I liked. I mean, it wasn't so much the player. It was just more one of those situations I don't feel like you see very often where you're kind of in a bind. You sign a guy off the practice squad and he comes in and he you know, he was he was productive, He did fine. You know, it wasn't the disaster that it often would be if you had to grab somebody off another team's practice squad.
Speaker 8: Uh, back to the phones eight five five, Pats five hundred. Let's go to Florida. Brian, what's up? Brian and Florida.
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: He's going once twice.
Speaker 6: Brian floes all right?
Speaker 4: I like the games.
Speaker 3: No, Brian in Florida.
Speaker 10: Rey agnew it was a good one.
Speaker 8: That's another topic we've been talking about in the past, and we talked about yesterday with jerseys. Barton Poland questioned, especially for Paul, is it that wearing jerseys as a whole isn't for you? Or is it the fact that you wear a jersey with another man's name on it.
Speaker 4: No, the other man's name doesn't really, Yeah, that doesn't.
Speaker 9: That doesn't bother.
Speaker 6: That's having your own name on it is a little bit weird.
Speaker 4: I of agree, like that's not That's not a big part of it for me. I just think it's weird. Wearing uniform I have no problem now if you wear it to a game, and again basketball excluded. I don't think you should wear a uniform to a basketball game. I tank the tank tops. That looks silly to me. But if you wear like a a Drake May shirt to a Patriots game, I don't have any I don't I don't have any issue.
Speaker 8: I think one of the coolest things to wear is a nice baseball shirt, nice button baseball shirt. Yeah, I just won't have it with somebody's name on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think those are cool shirts to just wear around.
Speaker 9: I have a really cool one. It was one of the few times I've won something in an auction.
Speaker 6: It was like end of holy Cross and they had like a vintage holy Cross baseball jersey, you know, and I won the raffle Be baseball Well, that's the really one. I'd like to see it though, I would like to see you in it. I got some compliments on that, like it's, you know, the old school kind of baseball shirts.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 6: I had no problem in a game like out and about and it's like you're every day I got to wear a jersey.
Speaker 4: That might be a little too much, but I mean that's that's I guess my pushback is like people that wear them like all the time.
Speaker 8: So when it came to clothes, including uniforms, were the seventies the worst decade ever?
Speaker 10: By worst? Do you mean the best? No, I mean the worst?
Speaker 4: I think they were awesome especially in football and baseball. Yeah, I mean there was some misses, like the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 3: I mean those were Pittsburgh Pirates. Awesome, yeah, awesome.
Speaker 10: In all the different combinations.
Speaker 8: And they were wearing pullover shirts like they weren't even terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, terrible.
Speaker 6: Well, it's hard to know now because now bad is awesome, you know, like the bad stuff that was so terrible, that's awesome. That's how I kind of feel about that stuff now.
Speaker 4: But Fred and I have always been on opposite ends of the spectrum on that one.
Speaker 6: Well, I think like a lot of people like the Titans too, and they feel like those are kind of back to the simplicity design there is, you know, the Titans new uniforms, they've kind of gone back to those Houston red and light blue kind of color scheme a little bit. I know there's a lot of a lot of big fans of those, but going back to more of the simplicity, not like the dramatic weird.
Speaker 9: Lines and cut of the jerseys and stuff.
Speaker 8: All right, let's let's take a break, see if there's any you know, we got to get these people to update their reads.
Speaker 3: It's all the same reads, so you know all the.
Speaker 8: Messages, Toyota, Bob's Discount furniture, Bridge Stone, Right, Brunt, We love Brunt and bud Light. It's easier to drink, easier to enjoy. Bud Light, the official beer sponsor of the Knowing the Patriots. Those are our sponsors.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's the shortest one.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 15: Come welcome our newest restaurant additions at Atriod Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu. Exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe.
Speaker 1: Craving the classics. Chick fil A makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile.
Speaker 15: Through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn rewards every time we visit Patriot Place, Shop dine.
Speaker 5: Enjoy the heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move having end to invisibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new power move.
Speaker 8: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus. Play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 16: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five Gunit work. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler. Switch today at brizon dot com or at your nearest store for new customers. Thirty dollars per line includes autopay and switch discount aditional taxi fees. In terms ofply ulimited data is retricted to on device our phone. You such a mess of dat roaming at two G speeds?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: You're going to.
Speaker 6: Play the game boy.
Speaker 1: You gotta learn to play it right.
Speaker 10: DraftKings is all about responsible gaming.
Speaker 4: It's more fun when it's for fun, so played responsibly. DraftKings the Crown is.
Speaker 14: Yours gambling problem called twenty hundred twenty one plus. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction.
Speaker 17: And welcome to another edition of Pats from the Past podcast. It's Matt Smith alongside with Pop Rollow and we are really pleased to be joined by number eighty in your scorecard, but number one in our hearts, at least for today, the great and I'm not we over use your word grade a lot of times.
Speaker 1: We're not overusual. Word using it today is irving prior irving. Thank you so much for joining us. Really appreciate it, Matt. It's it's my pleasure.
Speaker 18: I don't get a chance to come back this way too often. But I'm here to watch the game today. I'm here to cheer the Patriots on. I'm also get a chance to see my son and my grandchildren because they're up here in Boston.
Speaker 1: That's great. Is that the impetus for coming back here? Because you're I mean, I just came back. Just to be honest, you no, right, right, I mean, it's like, what was your impetus?
Speaker 17: Because it's great when some of the people like, there's a lot of people aving in this area, and understandably so, think the franchise started in two thousand and one, and that's not the case, you know, so when somebody like you comes back here, you're literally franchise royalty.
Speaker 1: What was the impetus to come back here?
Speaker 18: Well, the impetus to come back was an email that I received from the Patriots organization inviting some of the alumni. Boss they put together an opportunity of program or an event. I guess you could call either one of those for us to come back and have a space for us where we can bring a couple of guests. And I'm real still good friends with Tony Collins. We stay in contact with one another, and he came several weeks ago, and I think he brought like nineteen cats with him and they all had Tony Collins jerseys on and I saw that he posted it.
Speaker 1: I saw it. I called him and he told me about it.
Speaker 18: So I responded to the email, got in touch with Jeff, talked with Kate, and here I am.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So first of all, what are you up to now? Before we get into memory lane? You know, what what have you been? I mean, you look like you could still play. Matt and I were joking with you ten.
Speaker 1: Start for sure.
Speaker 4: It looked like you could get out and jump in the X spot right now and run ten go routes.
Speaker 1: No problem.
Speaker 3: What are up to?
Speaker 18: I still do workout, and I work hard. So I'm working hard.
Speaker 1: I listen. I had some surgery a little while ago.
Speaker 18: I had a stone in my bladder, and yeah, that was a bad experience. So I'm doing the best that I can to stay as healthy as I can, and part of that is working out. But what I'm doing now, I've been doing the past what twenty five years now, almost, and that's I'm still pastoring.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 18: I'm actually pastoring at two different churches now, but I'm still doing that. You can't. I can't get away from it. I can't run from it. I tried several times, trust me, and it is what it is. It's a calling that you become a prisoner too, as the Apostle Paul says in scripture, and you can't get away from it.
Speaker 1: So I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 18: I love loving people, and we need love more than anything in today's world.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know it better than I do.
Speaker 18: So I do podcasts, I do some analysis with the Eagles down in Philadelphia, but most of my work, most of my attention, most of my focus is with the church.
Speaker 1: And when he sold, that's great.
Speaker 17: So let's go down memory lane, Irving, and I don't think a lot of younger people would remember. And you're in a fraternity or that's pretty select. There aren't many wide receivers that were selected number one overall in the draft. I know Kishan's one of them because I can remember that that was after me, right, And there's another gentleman whose name I can't remember a thing from the sixties. Yeah, you're the number one pick in the end NFL. What was that like for a kid coming out of Nebraska from South Jersey.
Speaker 1: What was that like at the time to be the number one pick.
Speaker 18: Overall, Well, it wasn't the pomping circumstance that you have now with all of the celebration and you know the you know, they they sell tickets to the draft now and there's thousands of people that show up in whatever city they're having the draft.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like that when I was drafted.
Speaker 18: I actually signed my contract before the draft, and probably by the time the draft came, I had spent like twenty five grand. But the day of the draft, they sent a car down to New Jersey, picked myself and my mother up. We went to the draft, they announced it, we did an interview, we got back in the car and went back home.
Speaker 1: That was as exciting as it was, I'm believing.
Speaker 18: But there's something interesting that I kind of just realized maybe several months ago I was doing an interview and began to talk about it and thinking about being drafted as the number one pick.
Speaker 1: But I was drafted as a wide receiver.
Speaker 18: I was a wingback in college, right, So as a wing back in college, my one on ones in practice were in a three point stance, blocking down on defensive ends or blocking linebackers.
Speaker 1: My one on ones in practice.
Speaker 18: Never at Nebraska were me standing up or even out split out running routes against the defensive back. So the first time I had ever run a route against the defensive back standing up was my first day in training camp.
Speaker 1: I had never done that before, and man.
Speaker 18: I got my behind with quite a few times because Raymond Clayborne and Rinning l Pet those guys did not play. They were great cornerbacks and I had to face them every day. So it was a learning curve for me that was pretty pretty long. It took me a minute to get my feet up underneath me to learn how to be a wide receiver, and we didn't throw the ball that much, and I really didn't become, I feel, a good receiver until I went to Miami where they focused on through it.
Speaker 4: So what was your experience, Like, you mentioned the guys in the d defensive side, but you had a pretty good wide receiver on the other side and Stanley in the Morgan Yeah, So what was it like sort of trying to pick his brain a little bit.
Speaker 18: Well, here's the story behind Stanley. So yes, I come in. I'm a wing back. I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing at the wide receiver position, so I know Stanley's here.
Speaker 1: I've heard of Stanley.
Speaker 18: I've actually watched him several times in games, and so I'm figuring I'm going to get some tootelitch from him and he's going to help me out.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 18: When I got drafted, Ron Myers was the head coach YEP. Ron Myers was falling out with Stanley Morgan. They both were having a falling out. I think Ron was trying to get rid of Stanley. So when I came in, Ron put me at the same position as Stanley, so I was a threat to Stanley.
Speaker 1: He and Ron were going at it.
Speaker 18: I'm on the same side, so Stanley didn't talk to me. He didn't say a word to me. Halfway through my rookie year, Ron Myers gets fired, Raymond Barry comes in. Raymond Barry takes me and he puts me on the other side of Stanley. So now Stanley and I are playing at the same time, rather than me playing and Stanley on the side, or Stanley playing then me on the sideline. But Stanley the damage had already been done, so Stanley.
Speaker 1: Still wasn't talking to me.
Speaker 18: So my whole rookie year, and I don't blame him, but my whole rookie year, Stanley didn't say a word to me, not one single word, because I was a threat to him.
Speaker 4: Matt, We're not even ten minutes in and you're you're sort of finding out why the Patriots struggled so much.
Speaker 18: So one chapter, yeah, from Raymond, from from uh Rod Mars to Raymond.
Speaker 1: Barry to Rod Russ to Dick McPherson was one right after the ar So how did that ice? Did that ice ever get broken?
Speaker 18: It did get broken, probably more so the latter part of my second season. You know, we had that big run and we went to the super Bowl and lost the super Bowl. So that year, yeah, things kind of came together for us, but it was again, most of the damage that I was doing was on special team. Sure pump returner, sure catch if you passed it, but Stanley was was the go to guy. So most of my learning came from just watching. We really never did sit down and him instruct me or teach me or help me in that manner. Most of it came for me just watching him and learning that way. Going out and trying to do it myself.
Speaker 1: And now great moments in history.
Speaker 8: After slogging my way through the Major League Baseball Challenge discussion without jumping in front of busy traffic, I'm sorry. Paul mentioned something that made me think, what is everyone's favorite sports arguments to have? I'm friends with a few lawyers, so arguing is always what we're doing.
Speaker 3: But some of our.
Speaker 8: Best always revolved around whether Brady was a system quarterback or not. What are everyone's favorite or most enjoyable sports arguments to partake it?
Speaker 19: I mean, that's a dumb argument, like how many systems did you play?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 8: You have dumb friends, yeah, like dumb lawyer friends. I'm glad if I ever need a lawyer. I'm not calling your friends anyways.
Speaker 19: The one that I love the most is like the eras of athletes, Like if you were to put like Bill Russell and Bob Kouzi in the NBA today, like would they hold up?
Speaker 4: Would they be good?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 4: Or would they be like.
Speaker 19: Out of the league, you know, not even competitive?
Speaker 3: And I think I love that argument too.
Speaker 8: But the thing that sometimes gets lost in that you have to be fair and say Bill Russell born today gets the same nutrition, the same training, the same everything, and then I just good, I just drop him in.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: I think Bill Russell would still be good no matter what.
Speaker 19: Okay, because because especially the way the game is played now, like.
Speaker 3: Well he's old and he's dead. Well that's the older. Is he dead?
Speaker 1: That's another great moment.
Speaker 8: Aaron Patriot's Unfiltered eighty five five Pats five hundred is the hotline podcast at Patriots dot com. Is the email address kind of an open forum today.
Speaker 9: Popping off out there.
Speaker 7: Fred.
Speaker 6: They're getting ready for that World Cup game tomorrow. It's just a slew of activity. It's very, very exciting, and I was wondering one of the how quick you think they get the grass out of there?
Speaker 9: Like how quick they put that?
Speaker 8: I think I think Friday they'll start taking It'll.
Speaker 6: Be like after the Jets loss in two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be.
Speaker 8: You talk about busy, there's gonna be a lot of busy bees ripping things apart and putting things back together starting on Friday.
Speaker 5: I think we get our couches back on Friday.
Speaker 3: We'll see. Yeah, the whole stadium's cold right now, I know.
Speaker 4: I mean that I would take a t of coke. I can't find one of those either. I'm sorry, I'm sure he's ready.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 8: All right, eight five five past five hundred. Let's get back to the phones. We'll start Brian, and Florida is going to give it another try. What's up, Brian? Brian, Oh, we'll be two strikes and you're out.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 10: Something tells me he's got us on mute.
Speaker 8: Either that or he's at work and he can't his boss just walk by, Uh, Sean's and Vancouver.
Speaker 3: What's up, Sean?
Speaker 4: There's another issue?
Speaker 14: What more phone stuff?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 14: So you were talking about the World Cup game yesterday with Columbia Versus. Uh I can't remember, right, So, yeah, So I was here in Vancouver and like throughout the week there's like all these parades with with Colombian bands just closing traffic and it was insane. Like I was at a grocery store and the manager comes over says, no more deliveries. There's no trucks can get anywhere with the traffic. It was. It was insane. So I didn't really watch it. I didn't care about that game. But I'm I'm coming out into a hotel, and I can see by all these Colombians just the reaction. There are no others celebrating their just more somber. Oh, I guess there was a big upset today, so I saw that after the game. So that was that was kind of a strange World Cup experience for me. But in terms of the Patriots bar yesterday was or actually I heard it this morning because it was on twenty two. He was talking about bringing in the tight end where Brabel said he's gonna bring in another tight end and he was saying, well, I think you know, they'll probably wait until the end of August and see what they have. So but my question is more detailed. Are they going to wait and see what they have in terms of someone like Tannered if he can be a blocking tight end, or are they going to like also maybe consider well what's our roles where it does he look like he's going to be okay as a second tight end or we're just going to have a more kind of red shirt and see what he's at before they decide to bring in someone else. So I'll leave you with that.
Speaker 6: Okay, Thanks Sean, thank you. So it's an interesting question. I mean, I loved it when they had Julian Hill because it just felt like they had all their bases covered. You got reliable veteran Hunter Henry. It was great chemistry with Drake may Hill, who not only is you know, tough guy and can block and bring some attitude, but I think he could also if Hunter Henry got hurt, you could put Julian Hill in there and he could give you some snaps and you know, it.
Speaker 9: Wouldn't be too much of a drop off after that.
Speaker 6: There's you know, really a void. And I mean, I'd love to say that, oh, that's gonna force Raredan into the into the mix, but I think you're a Hunter Henry injury away from you can't do that to rered them right out of the gate.
Speaker 10: Like, So, I do you think they'll wait till the end of camp.
Speaker 6: I don't think they'll wait till the end.
Speaker 4: I don't know, though.
Speaker 6: I think they got to get somebody in there.
Speaker 8: I guarantee, if I guarantee, but better chance than not that somebody will become available who we haven't thought of right now.
Speaker 6: And that's and that's yeah, and that's I mean, and and maybe maybe they signed somebody as a camp body, and then someone shakes loose on cutdown day and and that, you know, maybe fills the need a little better.
Speaker 10: I don't think they'll wait that long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they'll get someone in here for camp, or at least early in camp so he can actually have a chance to assimilate. Y.
Speaker 6: I mean, Farrell Brown, I don't know he's I mean, he's what his he's thirty two.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know who. Yeah, I don't know who. It's going to be, tough dude.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying, if you want a guy, if you feel like you need somebody to be on the roster, I don't think you want to wait till the end of camp.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I want to bring someone in so we can learn the offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But I mean, you know, if it was a John HU Smith or I mean, I'm blanking on what year Farah Brown was here.
Speaker 9: I don't think he crossed paths with Josh Mattanas.
Speaker 6: I think he was like twenty two or twenty three somewhere in there right after he left.
Speaker 9: But you know, John U.
Speaker 6: Smith had some experience, and I just think he's more of you know, kind of like Hunter Henry. But I don't know they brought both those guys in before and they saw some kind of way they could work together.
Speaker 9: I mean, it's not the craziest thing in the world.
Speaker 8: Yesterday I was talking about how I admire the skin of the Scandinavian people, and I included Finland in the Netherlands and that, and I'm being corrected by Simon from Denmark.
Speaker 4: I don't remember you saying everyone.
Speaker 8: He says the Netherlands and therefore the Dutch. I might have said the Dutch aren't part of Scandinavia. Neither is Finland, but Denmark is. And as we didn't qualify for the World Cup, I hope Norway wins it all. So I'm just talking about that whole North Sea region. Yeah, sure, you know, like they have good skin, it's pure. Yeah, it's I don't mean the color. I mean the like no acne.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not a lot of sign I haven't ever seen anyone with a post line.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, so safe, no UV, that's it.
Speaker 3: You know, there's no sun that never comes out.
Speaker 6: I saw a funny meme that was like a guy on England and looked like the prototypical English player. I don't know who, I forget what his name is. I'm sure people know, but there was you know, it was just the English guy and then Holland, who looks like the prototypical Viking, and it just looked like if you were gonna, you know, line up these two prototypes from these two different places. These guys kind of embody it completely.
Speaker 8: But do you know that Holland technically not technically I mean he can play for England if he wanted.
Speaker 3: No, really, Yeah, he was born.
Speaker 8: In England and grew up in England to Norwegian parents.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: Well, his dad was on the team, right, I have a bunch of pictures of his dad was previously on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's a machine, so he could he could just as easily have played for England, but he opted to play for Norway.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's been it's been fun watching the really talented guys. I mean I think that's been what I've enjoyed the most of this World Cup is cluing in on I mean, seeing MESSI still doing it at a high level, and you know, just seeing Holland the way he plays.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you a soccer question, Fred? Okay, So I didn't know that about Holland. If if he played, if he had played for England. How how could that work with him and Harry Kane.
Speaker 3: It's true they kind of play the same position.
Speaker 4: Strike would they be able to like can you do that in soccer? Can you can you find a way to have two like really gifted?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know the gifted out for this. The US employed the dual striker system.
Speaker 10: Okay, So that's why I'm asking because the stuff, I don't know.
Speaker 8: If you can do it, but it you know, how much is I mean? Kane plays back and I think both of them played defense, you know, but like a guy like right now, Ronaldo, he ain't playing any defense, you know, and that's one of the problems with him in Portugal. MESSI he'll he'll play back. He plays a little defense. But how much are you giving up? I haven't two strikers, you know, I don't know, but that would be a good problem to.
Speaker 3: Have, huh, Harry Kane and Earlin Holland on the same team.
Speaker 6: And it was Harry Kane a big Patriots fan, right I've seen is we use a big Brady fan Brady fan okay, okay, okay, and Christian Gonzalis.
Speaker 10: I think war is uniform into one of the games.
Speaker 3: Yeah he did. Harry Kane is sorry his kit he's associated with my back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I've seen a little bit of that, Harry, as he should.
Speaker 8: Anthony writes in years ago, when Dion Lewis was on the team, I had an hour long argument with my friends because I said he was one of the most.
Speaker 3: Elusive backs in the NFL.
Speaker 8: They insisted I was wrong, and then I was wearing my Patriots goggles. They're Giants fans. It wasn't until years later his highlight touchdown against Dallas that my friends finally agreed with me.
Speaker 3: The vindication was excellent.
Speaker 4: Years later, the touchdown against Dallas. How many years did you play for the Patriots?
Speaker 8: In their defense, I once said Aaron Dobson was going to be the guy that I appreciate that the late self deprecation of.
Speaker 3: That brief moment in time.
Speaker 8: When I say brief moment, I mean like a span of three or four games. Deon Lewis was like the most elusive man in the NFL for that small period of time. It was amazing what he was doing.
Speaker 4: I don't know about NFL, but he was electric for a short period of time here, he was very, very productive, because.
Speaker 6: I mean it was knee injuries, right like he had, and then he came back do what he did.
Speaker 10: And then he wasn't the same.
Speaker 4: He tours acl against Washington in the middle of one of those seasons, and he was really never the same. But he had that game against Houston in the playoffs that was unbelievable, a three touchdown game. I think he had a kickoff return in that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it was never on a this is looking at like his I mean, it was really that twenty eighteen season he had a you know that was where that Dallas game was.
Speaker 9: Ll Maybe that wasn't that Dallas game now I guess it was.
Speaker 6: Sorry, yeah, but now, I mean just so many of his seasons were just cut short, Yeah, by injury.
Speaker 8: All right, Brian must really have something he wants to talk to us to the third time, Brian and Florida.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 20: Hey, can you guys hear me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, cool? Cool.
Speaker 20: So I'm calling because I've been working on something that I wanted to run by some sports guys, and you guys are probably the best sports guys to talk to about this because you're Tom Brady people. So basically you know how people talk about who the goat is, and it's pretty much undisputed that Tom Brady's the goat in terms of quarterbacks, you know, Lebron versus MJ. Everyone debates these things. So I created a tool that I was hoping you guys could give me some critical feedback on that measures the best quarterback. So it's, uh, I have a tool, Is it okay?
Speaker 3: But anyway? Go ahead?
Speaker 20: It is it cool if I give you my website?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Sure, as long as it's you know, not born.
Speaker 4: Are we trying to determine who the best quarterback is by numbers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul's out.
Speaker 20: Yeah, So it's a decision Vision dot Com.
Speaker 8: Decision Vision, okay dot Com.
Speaker 20: Then, and there's a sport thank you sir. If you go to the sports section, there's a calculator called NFL Goat and it's got sixteen factors on there that you can choose and then you rank those factors to actually come up with a real number. And so what I'm what I'm asking you about is the factors. Want I want better factors. I think I have pretty good ones, but there's a couple on there that I think, like, like what matters to real sports people as to who the actual best is, and like what am I missing? I'm just starting this out and I want to get it to be really great.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's to me.
Speaker 8: For a quarterback, it's how you perform in the most critical situations. You know, forget about playoffs, but third down, third and long, fourth quarter comebacks, fourth quarter comebacks, and then you know, playoff games. Now, a lot of teams, a lot of players don't have that opportunity.
Speaker 10: But I agree, you know, I agree with you guys.
Speaker 4: And it's more like the reason why I was half joking when I said I'm out, But I just don't think there's formulas that to pick something that's so subjective, you know, Fred and I can watch something and think one thing. Mike might watch the same thing and think something totally different. Like and that's the beauty of sports, Like it's you know, if it was just about numbers, you wouldn't need three idiots to come on for your lunch day and tell you what happened. You could look at the school board yourself. It's one of my biggest pushbacks with Mike Felger and Tony Maserati when I go on with slaves to the school board. But what do I need you for. I can read the paper and figure out who won too. I don't even have to watch the game, but I think there's a different thing that happens during the course of the game. Fourth quarter comebacks. Yeah, I can tabulate all the fourth quarter to coming. They're not all made the same. You know, one fourth quarter comeback down four needing a touchdown, like say in Cleveland in the AFC Championship game, in terrible weather, when nothing's going right. That John Elway takes a team ninety eight yards means a hell of a lot more to me than a guy who threw like one crossing route over the middle and they kicked a fifty yard field goal to win. They're both fourth quarter comebacks. But my eyes, in my experience, needed to differentiate those two things, right the context.
Speaker 20: Exactly you're hitting on. Exactly why I created this calculator, because all these numbers don't mean anything if you don't actually rank the statistics in terms of what you care about, and the actual result changes. Whereas you know, if you if you factor certain things, Drew Brees comes up as the best, and if you factor in things like fourth quarter comebacks. Probably Tom Brady factors into that. So I was hoping you guys could take a look at my calculator. It's pretty I think revolutionary for the conversations that people are having around who the best is. I understand statistics, but this actually does the calculations for you by taking the things that you care about and ranking those things that you care about and then applying it to the actual statistics. So it's not perfect, but it can get us a lot. Like where we have conversations around statistics, this can actually center it and you can actually manipulate the data to show you what who the best is?
Speaker 8: Okay, so right now I'll tell you have do you have a conclusion?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 8: I know you can change it, but right now, who's.
Speaker 3: The leader of the pack?
Speaker 20: So it depends on how you measure. There's there's sixteen total factors to choose from. You can use up to eight and if I already use like super Bowl MVP's super Bowl winning percentage, passing touchdowns, all those things factor together and you get Tom Brady easily. Tom Brady. But believe it or not, when you factor in MVPs and the winning percentages and Pat Mahomes is number two. He actually beats out Eli Manning. So it really depends on how you actually what you weigh. More. If you weigh super Bowl wins first, super Bowl MVP, second, super Bowl winning percentage third, and then passing touchdowns fourth, Tom Brady is number one, Pat Mahomes is number two, Eli's three, and so on so forth.
Speaker 4: You keep saying Eli, You mean Eli, not Peyton Eli Manning. Yeah, yes, sir, Yeah, so that you wouldn't even be It wouldn't even be in my database.
Speaker 3: Right, It's it's flawed.
Speaker 8: I mean, right, he can't be better than wad Antana or Peyton Manning.
Speaker 4: Peyton won two too, Yeah right.
Speaker 3: So like well one of them he won. He was there, he was on the.
Speaker 4: Team Fred he won two.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, but that's the point.
Speaker 4: Without him, If they kept Brockross while they were playing quarterback, they ain't winning that super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 20: But so debate can be solved everything that we're talking about right now. Can you can actually plug in the factors that matter to you. I chose four factors that you don't agree with. If you go back and you choose the factors that actually do matter to you, then you can actually see you see, I'm going.
Speaker 4: To take a look at it after the show, Brian, absolutely, Division Vision dot Com. Right, decision, decision, decision, Vision Vision dot Com.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm going to take a look at it.
Speaker 3: Do you have the same for basketball?
Speaker 20: I dude, that's the cool one. The Lebron versus MJ versus everybody that's in there too, n b A, NFL, Scott Tennis, UFC. I got all of that on there.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, yeah, thanks, yeah, thanks for sharing that.
Speaker 3: Where do you what's your background? Are you like a data analyst or what's your background?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 20: So basically, I create incentive systems for sales teams to determine who deserves the best leads. So what we would do is take a whole sales team and measure all the things that a salesperson does in terms of productivity and how hard they work. And actually we created lead allocation systems based on a power ranking. So I took that same logic of power ranking sales.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, right, always closing, ABC A, b CS, CAS.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, well Brian, that's cool. We will check it.
Speaker 20: Out and yeah we will if you Yeah, we will.
Speaker 3: Review it and I'm sure Evan will hate it.
Speaker 10: But Evan will absolutely despise.
Speaker 3: It because he didn't come up with it. That's cool.
Speaker 20: I'm glad you still like it. He has to choose his own factors. That's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so if you come back, all right, thanks.
Speaker 8: See, I wouldn't include super Bowl wins, so I don't think that's fair.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't mind including super Bowl wins. Super Bowl winning percentage, to me, doesn't make a lot of sense because I think you're penalizing someone for achieving more.
Speaker 9: As we always said.
Speaker 3: In other words, Montana wins every time if you no.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying is like Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning's two and one, Eli Manning's two and zero. What's the bigger accomplishment getting to three and winning two or only getting to two?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: Like I've never understood the argument, you know, and this has been put to rest because Brady put it away with seven titles. But like Brady was always banged for the super Bowl losses that Montana didn't have. Like I would much rather go ten times and lose three then only go four times and win all four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so, but it's interesting, so we will take a look.
Speaker 4: At like a conference. Conference championships don't matter, you know, because Joe Montana got knocked out of the playoffs before he got to the super Bowl, right, he has just as many playoff losses as everybody else. And I like Joe. Man, this is not slam in Joe Montana. But I'm just saying it's a little flawed to go by super Bowl winning percentage, you know.
Speaker 8: But like just the eye test, John Elway was probably the best.
Speaker 10: John always the answer to the question for me, he's the best.
Speaker 3: Like you know, the arm, the running, everything, the amount that he had to do.
Speaker 10: This is why I say, like it's I.
Speaker 4: Don't really like mathematical formulas to determine these things because because you're wrong, let me tell.
Speaker 9: You what the number right here? Boom argument over.
Speaker 4: I think Freddy, and this is one that I feel comfortable with because I know Freddy feels the same way. But like when you watched a guy do so much for the team and you knew, like you take that guy out. This team is very pedestrian in there's no number to put, there's no qualifier, there's no stat that says, well, you know what, Well, actually Brady meant more to his team, Like you can't quantify it, you just have to sort of experience it and see it and like wow that really that team would really be nothing if it wonder for those kind of clutch performances.
Speaker 3: They made, you know, a big deal about the three amigos at Denver. Those guys weren't that good? Elway made them good?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, Yeah, Rodney's in Foxborough. What's up, Rodney?
Speaker 3: Why don't you just come by?
Speaker 4: I'll we're in lockdown.
Speaker 21: First, I love that Paul complimented the name and then immediately did not have the correct name right afterwards.
Speaker 10: So that was no, yeah, no, that's true.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 10: I butchered that I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but decisions in.
Speaker 21: Such since twenty eleven, and this is my first time calling what I want to call.
Speaker 20: So I actually want to hit on a couple.
Speaker 21: Of things quickly. One, I think the cultural thing on soccer is totally it. I actually grew up the first eight years of my life in Paraguay, so you know, that was a pretty thrilling game. The World Cup's always been so much fun for me to watch. But I feel like it's just we don't in the US, we really don't play like soccer. We don't really It's like we don't emphasize things like kicking a ball. So I feel like, not that you can't, but there's just so many other things that we have to play. So, I mean, it's been hit on, but I just felt like in Alex, I feel like hit it pretty well in culture and I think everything similar. So yeah, and even when I was there, I mean, I was a big American kid, so they put me in goal. They basically didn't want anything to do with me kicking a soccer ball around either. So so anyway, that was just one thing that I wanted to chime in on that. But then also, Fred, mister boss man, I need you to get Alex on the show the time. I feel like she adds so much the show. I was hoping that she was going to be on today, but I think it's Paul's hit this a bunch of times. She knows a lot about a lot of things, and I feel like she brings different a different side of the conversation. I know she might have other things, but I got to believe you've got the power to get her on the show every time.
Speaker 3: She can come on anytime she wants. She's busy, she's got other things that she has to do.
Speaker 4: She's actually doing a lot of writing right now as we speak at Paul's.
Speaker 3: So you know, a lot of it.
Speaker 8: There's some conflicts there in terms of scheduling, but she's she's welcome to trade here anytime.
Speaker 7: You can't.
Speaker 21: You can't free that up for you know, like.
Speaker 8: If there's a community, if thing that she has to go to, they're not going to change. You know, Drake may coming to the Boys and Girls Club because the page's unfiltered.
Speaker 3: You know, that's usually I guess that's fair.
Speaker 21: But yeah, anyway, she's she adds this end of the show. So I love having her perspective on the show. But she's really the only real good reason to log in and watch the She's much.
Speaker 3: Better look at that's for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 10: He he just basically said that.
Speaker 21: I may or may not have said that. I know she was spoken for it. So I was going to try and keep it as PG as possible, but I don't see uh, and I will. I had some other things to add that I'll do at another time. Friend, I emailed you last week and I didn't get read. So I'll have to work on my my content to figure out how to get that right next time.
Speaker 6: All right, thanks Rodney. Rodney, you know just started. I was messing around on decision vision. So there's a lot of different things. It's not just football. There's all kinds of different things that you can use this for. So I just messing around a little bit. I just said, Uh, I did Defensive Player of the Year. War Career interceptions, career sacks, career approximate value are my four factors, and it gave me Charles Woodson as number one. It's not only quarterbacks, so you can do different things too. Okay, anyway, continue here, continue.
Speaker 3: What about Star worst character?
Speaker 9: Oh, let's see, now here we go.
Speaker 6: That's uh got to see if we can log into that.
Speaker 10: I'm more out on that than I am.
Speaker 6: Vehicles we could do long, we could do you know, speed Queen. We put speed Queen to the ye wash your dryers.
Speaker 3: Morgan wants to know where should lebron go.
Speaker 4: Ah, either Cleveland or Miami. I'll say Cleveland.
Speaker 10: Just sort of put a bow on the career.
Speaker 6: Cleveland Miami. Sure, that's nice.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 10: That's nice.
Speaker 3: Especially because I was just here in Boston.
Speaker 10: I don't want we want any part of him?
Speaker 3: Now you don't want any part of it?
Speaker 6: Is that a possibility? Is that being discussed?
Speaker 3: Play Boston.
Speaker 1: He won't come here. He's super racist.
Speaker 10: There's no way they're spending the money.
Speaker 6: Bronnie. I want Bronnie. Can we get Bronnie?
Speaker 10: Bronnie Ronnie?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: I did like pat Riley putting his foot down Janni's brothers in Miami.
Speaker 6: You guys want to do a movie one on a decision vision, we can pick some factor, all right, let's do Uh So you gotta pick what genre you want. You want like drama, horror, comedy, faith.
Speaker 3: What's the end goal movie?
Speaker 6: This is gonna best movie that's based on our factors. You want to do a comedy movie.
Speaker 3: Why do you have to pick a genre?
Speaker 9: Well, that's those are the factors that we can pick.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: We got we got about so that's not giving me the best movie. We got about the best whatever the genre.
Speaker 9: Is, right, Well, we could not include a genre if you'd like.
Speaker 6: That's that's that's what you can do a genre free. I'll throw out the sixteen things. You guys tell me what we can include how many do we get?
Speaker 9: We can do four with them?
Speaker 6: So drama, short run time, total, oscar wins online interest included on Netflix, on YouTube Paid Action Adventure, Horror, Faith recent release, worldwide box office free.
Speaker 9: To stream right now, included on Hulu. Included on Prime Sci Fi?
Speaker 4: Can we only can we only just do one category.
Speaker 9: That you want to just do?
Speaker 3: Comedy?
Speaker 10: Yeah, see what the best see what the best comedy is.
Speaker 6: Let's if we can do that. I don't know if we can know you gotta choose three. You gotta choose three on this one.
Speaker 3: What are three?
Speaker 4: The three most nondescript? Because I don't really care. I mean, I'm sure that all those factors are important, Like that's.
Speaker 6: The best comedy, that's.
Speaker 4: Recent release, whatever, run time, those things are important.
Speaker 6: Worldwide box office, let's throw that on there.
Speaker 10: I don't like I'm trying to figure out what the best is.
Speaker 4: Not the one that.
Speaker 6: Made the most point is we're gonna do and a short run time is the last one? How about that? Let's just see what it gives us. We're doing comedy, worldwide box office, online interest in short run time and calculate in the winner is Minions.
Speaker 4: French's facial expressions is speaking volumes.
Speaker 8: All right, we have to tune that upright.
Speaker 6: We're gonna need some more fames.
Speaker 8: Let's go email games Reno rights in Reno High Tower. I know y'all don't like to wear jerseys with another man's name on it, but.
Speaker 3: For me, I don't care what you think.
Speaker 8: I find joy in buying and wearing jerseys of players I love. The One thing I hate from fans and he has fans and quotes are the ones who have multiple teams in the same league. I've known a few people who say they have an NFC and an AFC team. To me, if you have multiple teams, you're not a real fan. Stay loyal to your one team.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 8: Also, I'm excited for the season to start and just bought an eighty five inch Samsung q led TV on payments though, because we're not all rich like Christian in LA.
Speaker 3: But eighty five inch TV these days, that can't be that. I mean, they probably have good deals on them, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can get a good TV for a reasonable price nowadays.
Speaker 6: Back in the day it was.
Speaker 10: But that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I I'm not a big view. People give me a lot of static because they think I'm telling people how to be fans about they're wearing the shirt thing. Why is it okay for the people that wear shirts that tell people how they're supposed to be fans? They can't have any other teams? Like if your team is out, you don't root for anyone you don't like? What to makes you a bad fan? Like no, I got a pout and just look in the corner and not watch, Like why why is that okay for you to tell everybody else how they should be fans?
Speaker 15: Now?
Speaker 6: I only I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't have a lot of teams though.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't have a lot.
Speaker 6: I don't have a lot of chance. But that's not the points. That's kind of it. I think I said before.
Speaker 9: When I was in LA, I was like, I'm gonna try to be a Dodgers fan.
Speaker 6: I try to watch the Dodgers, and I try to and this is back before they were the Dodgers now, but I just didn't like.
Speaker 3: I used to really like.
Speaker 4: I used to really like the San Francisco Giants when I was probably in high school, the Red Sox on my team, my National League team was the Giants. Evidently that's that's wrong. I don't care about the Giants anymore. But you know, back in the day, they had some left handed pitchers. I was a left handed pitcher. Attlee Hammacker and Dave Draveki and those guys you.
Speaker 9: Moved around so like and you would be a fan of the low I mean.
Speaker 3: I was a young kid.
Speaker 8: When I was real young, before second grade, I was a Red Sox fan. We had yaz Bread and Channel six had all the Red Sox games, so you know, Rico Petrocelli, Tony Knigliaro, all those guys. But then we moved to Jersey and everybody was either a Yankees fan or a Mets fan. And I chose the Mets because I really liked Jerry Koozman and I like Cleon Jones because he threw left and batted right like I did. And so I kind of gravitated to the Mets in a paid.
Speaker 6: That's both you guys. You guys both throw a left that right, correct, That's fun.
Speaker 10: It's very rare.
Speaker 4: There was not a lot like the fact that he knows Leon Jones did that is because that they stand out.
Speaker 10: Ricky Henderson did it too. There's not that many guys.
Speaker 8: Like that, and so you know paid off in sixty nine when the Mets won, and so I became But I always was a reds I still remained a Red Sox fan.
Speaker 9: But when you left New Jersey, did you maintain those connections to the Mets.
Speaker 10: It all depended on who was winning the title.
Speaker 3: But I was.
Speaker 8: I was a big Knicks fan, a big Jets fan because I love Joe Namath.
Speaker 10: I like it.
Speaker 8: I was a Mets fan, and I was a Rangers fan.
Speaker 6: Right A lot of a lot of local people Rangers. My dad was a Rangers fan too.
Speaker 8: I think they got and I remember Brad Park, New York Rangers. Brad Park was a Ranger and and he wrote a book and I used to read all the sports book and he called the Boston fans bush league, and then he ended up on the Bruins. Uh, and I still, you know, remained a Brad Park fan.
Speaker 3: I actually met him. What a nice guy?
Speaker 10: Did you?
Speaker 4: Did you tell him?
Speaker 10: Like Boston?
Speaker 8: I was with aboaut then, but but then you know, I moved in eighth grade to the Cape and uh quickly became a Celtics back to Red Sox, believe it or not, and I you know, I have to admit this.
Speaker 3: I really wasn't a Patriots fan.
Speaker 8: They sucks so bad, you know, and I know in eighties they did well, But I just, I just I just I was a Denver Bronco fan, you know, I always, I know, I know, I always love.
Speaker 3: The a f C.
Speaker 8: Westlaner with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 10: Oh you're not a real fan.
Speaker 3: I probably wasn't.
Speaker 8: I probably wasn't, but I love the Orange Crush that whole idea, and I love you know, Carl Mecklenburg and then later Randy gratischar I love those players.
Speaker 3: And so I was. I was a Denver Broncos fan.
Speaker 4: So I always when that was before l Way by the way, I would always root you know, I was a huge Patriots fan. But Fred's right, it was hard because you just knew like they weren't, they weren't going to be there. So like every year whoever that like, there was a new team, and that seventy seven Orange Crush Denver team was one of those. Like I rooted, like really passionately for them to beat the Raiders in the AFC Championship game that year, and I rooted for them against Dallas and the Super Bowl and then they.
Speaker 3: Got killed crushed.
Speaker 4: But I would root for Dallas against Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh was always winning.
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 4: Then San Francisco got good that for like they went from three to thirteen to thirteen and three. And I was a huge Niners fan for one year. Yeah, and then I hated them because they won all the time.
Speaker 6: How does that work? You're could you watch the games even.
Speaker 10: Like you know what I mean, you just follow the best you can. Brent Musburger, you're looking.
Speaker 8: Live halftime Monday Night Football, Howard Cosell's Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was for me.
Speaker 6: It was at the main Jel Green NFL Primetime and Inside the NFL, those two like Sunday Nights with NFL Primetime with Boomer and then inside the NFL. I love that show, you know, just each one was like the NFL films, filmic look back at the week, and I just I don't know if it still has that filmic kind of epic quality and those you know, the way that it captured me as a kid. It was just that was like must watch TV. Who is it Leo quarterback from the Chiefs Len Yeah, yeah, I think Chris Collinsworth might have come on at some point.
Speaker 10: He came on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but we remember my friends and I we would all like we would record Primetime and we'd like talk about it the next day.
Speaker 4: I loved watching Primetime with with Boomer and Tom Jackson. I didn't watch Inside the NFL that much. I know, the show I didn't watch like regularly.
Speaker 3: That was an hour show. It seemed like three hours. It was like the slowest moving show I did.
Speaker 4: We just go to the highlights, right, you don't need the lime time was was great though, like that was a great way to you know, but you know, now you get to see all the games and you don't really need it, right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think they still do it, but it's like on yeah, yeah, find like.
Speaker 6: Chris Rose does it on NFL Network. That's usually like when we get done here and I get home and he I do. I saw him at the combine in India. I just wanted to because it's always like, you know, work is no I just said, it's my favorite part of it's you know, it's like your work's done.
Speaker 9: You could just sit down and.
Speaker 6: Be like, all right, what the hell happened? Because I'm not like Paul. I can't just watch red Zone and then decode it all.
Speaker 4: And so I will say, like on Sundays when I would get home, and you know, it's assuming it was a one o'clock game, so they might be like one game that geez, I wonder what happened? Like this is weird?
Speaker 10: How did this unfold?
Speaker 4: And I'll wait to see the highlight of that one game because I didn't know, you know, like how how did they go from up twelve to having a kick a field goal to win the game? But you know, like what happened there?
Speaker 8: And his poor kid on TV he met Jalen Brown made a big impression. Now he's just crying his eyes out because he's gone. I don't blame him, no, I feel you.
Speaker 6: Ever have your heart broken like that by a player or anything like disappointing.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, but that's the age when you got that half. Like the kid looks like he couldn't be more than like six or seven years old, right, If he's even that old, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's the closest thing, I guess. And I wasn't upset about it, and I was older. I mean, I was in college or out of college. But Ray Boor, who was like my favorite player growing up, and like I remember being so excited to see him win Avalanche.
Speaker 3: You bring up Ray Boord.
Speaker 8: You want to talk about embarrassing moments, That's one of the most embarrassing Boston sports moments I've ever lived. Pade letting him go to Colorado, come back with the trophy and have a freaking parade. How pathetic is that as a franchise to do that.
Speaker 6: I was embarrassed, right, It's like, we're so bad, but you got the cup. We couldn't do We weren't willing to go there.
Speaker 8: It's not enough to just let them go and win it, but you're gonna bring them back and celebrate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you kidding?
Speaker 10: I had no problem with the trade. Yeah, but the parade was bad.
Speaker 8: Look, I was that was embarrassing bad.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean the Don Branch won that kind of I mean it's, you know, as an adult just being like, oh man, Deon Branch, like, you know.
Speaker 4: That was I don't, guy, I don't think that any of those as an adult.
Speaker 9: No, it's no comparison.
Speaker 10: I can't think of anything in this.
Speaker 8: As a kid was there anything that devastated you, almost to the point of tears, if not too so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like when the Red Sox led, like Fred Lynne and Carlton Fist go, you know, like fred Lynne was my favorite player, fred Land and Jim Rice and my two favorite Red Sox what a duo.
Speaker 10: And they when they let.
Speaker 4: Fred they traded Fred Lane, they let fist go and free agency that. Like I was, you know, it's like maybe twelve thirteen years old. I was bummed out.
Speaker 9: That was really Bruins eighty eight Cup loss.
Speaker 6: I think I was twelve years old.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 6: That was one for me. Like I was way into that, like every playoff game.
Speaker 4: Drinking heavy and he's probably twelve years old.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was doing Like I had a neighborhood pool, Like I would go to everybody's so I'm like, you know, we want to bet on the Bruins now, and I would like have everybody, you know, chip in a buck in the neighborhood and then somebody won the pool.
Speaker 8: But I think the most disappointed I was in an outcome was Ali Fraser one. When Ali lost, Wow, Oh I was I was devastated for that one.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 9: How now, back in the day could It wasn't like.
Speaker 3: And so here's what I did. You couldn't watch it.
Speaker 8: So on AM radio there was a station that after every round gave you an update. So I remember being in bed and this is like late at night and just glued to the radio waiting for that round to end so you could hear from this guy and whoever, I forget who was doing it. No, yeah, they did a good job, because that was on the edge.
Speaker 3: Of my seat.
Speaker 8: And then you get to that last round and you know, uh round before I think where Fraser broke his jaw.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 8: But he's still fighting, you know, and he's got enough rounds built up, he's still gonna win.
Speaker 3: He's still gonna win.
Speaker 8: It by decision, and he ended up losing, and I was just devastated. And then that week, uh, Sports Illustrated comes after, you know, that's back then a weekly magazine still had relevance, and they showed Ali's face. He had the broken jaw, but Fraser's face looked like he went through a war.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just bumps.
Speaker 8: Everywhere because you know, Ali was just pelting him all night.
Speaker 6: But what an epic battle that was. Devastated when you got the magazine. Was that the first time you'd actually seen like imagery in your head and that brought it to life?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was a different time. Now it's you're seeing it in the moment, you're watching.
Speaker 4: It on your hand, like than not. We'll ever get to that. But again, I was, I was. I was in high school.
Speaker 10: So actually it was my freshman year at college. I just started. I just started college.
Speaker 6: Well how did you feel? Because you were a Mets fan too, so like you knowed then by then we were we were living in Boston at the Men's Club on comm Ab and doing bets.
Speaker 8: Uh but uh, after Game six, I put a sign out by the tea. I said, if there's justice, justice on earth and a god in heaven, the Red Sox will win the series and seven and I put that sign out and they ended up losing anyway.
Speaker 4: She sent that nice like little piece of Robert Kraft. When is that how you got the job?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 10: Look, I mean, look what I did, mister Kraft. This is creative.
Speaker 8: Well, my history with the Red Sox is actually I used to be the editor in chief of a magazine called New England Sport, and uh, there was a well known writer, Glenn's Glenn Stout, who used to be the editor of the Best American Sports Writers. It was a compilation thing anyway. So he came to me with this idea. He said, back in nineteen eighteen, when the Red Sox won the World Series, there was a strike during the series and the league was so mad at both teams that when the Red Sox won, they didn't get the commemorative fobs that World Series winners went. Back then, you didn't get a ring. You got a fob. It was like a key fob or a change. It's like a change and with a pin at the end. And so none of the Red Sox players got the fob. So Glenn wrote this story that the curse wasn't Babe Ruth being traded. The curse was that they never got this thing, and we have to Baseball, Major League Baseball has to right this wrong and give them their fob. So after we published the story, I started a campaign. So I met with the Red Sox and I said, can we can we do this range for the descendants of this team to come, because well, we're not going to do it. There has to be a movement. So if you can get a petition with like ten thousand names, we'll do it. So for that season, the Red Sox allowed me to set up a table outside of Fenway Park and before every home game, I would gather names, and we got the names, and so we got in touch with Babe, Ruth's granddaughter and all the descendants, Bobby Door, all these people.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Bobby Dorsh. It was I forget all the.
Speaker 8: Names, but we got them together and they had the day and they found the design for the fob and they actually.
Speaker 3: Had this event.
Speaker 8: It was I think we were playing the Kansas City Royals and they had the event and everyone was on the field and they gave them the fobs.
Speaker 3: And that season they went on like a thirteen game win. Stream Right after that happened, and so Channel Channel seven came to my house and interviewed me like, this is going to be this is the year. Yeah funny, yeah, yeah, what year was that?
Speaker 9: It wasn't two thousand and four.
Speaker 8: No, it was it was eighty nine, ninety it was late eighties or early nineties.
Speaker 3: I forget. Actually the actually year eighty eight. Did you get a fob?
Speaker 9: I hope you got.
Speaker 8: You kept the fune Oh I didn't get one. No, I didn't get one, the fop guy. Yeah I should have got one. Yeah, the whole thing, ten thousand signatures. Yeah, did you have like a whole presentation. But it was great because we'd collect the signatures until like the second inning, then we go in and watch the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you used to be able to do that.
Speaker 6: I felt like you used to be able walk in Red Sox games like seventh inning on.
Speaker 9: It was just like doors open, you could just play.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, they let you walk in.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because when I was in school we did that a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah remember that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when I was in college, we get three bucks, three dollars seats and sit in the bleachers.
Speaker 6: Yeah that was I mean when I was driving cross country, it was like we could have walked into Colorado for fourteen dollars. We could have gone into Cleveland for like twenty two dollars.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: It was like it was like midweek afternoon games.
Speaker 4: We would definitely like if you know, did you get you'd get done with your last class, you go over, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Maybe not wait to Paul.
Speaker 8: Paul wants a game, So here's another one. Thank you, Alex says Paul totally crushed the first one that I had, and this one is all geared toward the eighties and nineties players.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, he'll crush these two nineties.
Speaker 4: Is going to be time.
Speaker 3: First player.
Speaker 8: I wore number eighty four before it became synonymous with another Patriots legend. I was one of the team's top receivers during the early nineties. I caught the first touchdown pass of Drew Bledsoe's coach Jefferson.
Speaker 6: Jefferson, you don't know, se Jefferson.
Speaker 3: No, no, he.
Speaker 4: Was first touchdown passive that this is I'm just gonna go on record.
Speaker 10: This is wrong.
Speaker 4: Like I says, number eighty four caught the first touchdown pass of Drew Bledsoe's career, So it must Maybe it was.
Speaker 10: A preseason game, is he?
Speaker 4: Is he claiming I don't know because the first touchdown pass with Drew Bledsoe was Benkoch, He.
Speaker 3: Says, Vincent Brisbee Ultimate Brisbee.
Speaker 10: Brisbee wore eighty two.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So there you go, Alex, You're already wrong player two.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I mean, like earlier in his career, maybe he wore eighty four and he changed to eighty two.
Speaker 6: I checked this well, checked that too the whole time.
Speaker 3: Player two.
Speaker 8: I was a quarterback who started games for the Patriots in the early nineties.
Speaker 9: Tommy Hodson, Oh.
Speaker 4: Am, I allowed to guess without being without being eliminated.
Speaker 3: Oh you get eliminated.
Speaker 4: Okay, then I'm gonna hold on.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 8: I won just one game as a Patriots starter, just one game.
Speaker 10: I think you might have it.
Speaker 8: No, it wasn't Tommy Hodson. I was later traded to the Green Bay Packers, where I backed up Brett.
Speaker 4: Favara Carlson Mill. He won more than one game.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, another here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they went six and ten and won.
Speaker 6: He went five and eight in the ninety.
Speaker 8: Oh, come on, Alex, I didn't even know if I want to do this. Third one, I was a defensive player who has two stints with the players and with the with the players, I think he meant the.
Speaker 4: Patriots defensive player.
Speaker 8: In this play and played in a Super Bowl. I played for sixteen years and only made one Pro Bowl. I had nine and a half sacks in seventy seven before missing most of the next season.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if it's true.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Tony McGee, Julius Adams, Julius Adams was only on the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Where are you getting your info, Alex?
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, I think he's doing I think he did it on purpose. Yeah, I think you did it on purpose.
Speaker 8: So you crushed this one too, because you saw you didn't get any of them because they weren't any of them.
Speaker 3: They were all wrong. Yeah, they were all wrong.
Speaker 9: I thought, you know, I did the eighty five thing last year.
Speaker 6: Julius Adams was funny because I found like they did like the whole thing of like pomp and circumstance.
Speaker 9: Like this is it, this is the last game they like.
Speaker 6: I think that since he game they won, last game here, they had like a whole ceremony. And then he's like, I'm playing a game. I'm gonna keep playing like he just kept playing, uh all the way. Oh he came back in eighty seven.
Speaker 9: I guess played another year. Maybe he was hurting eighty.
Speaker 4: Six, So maybe that's what he meant. Maybe that's what he meant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he was New England through and through.
Speaker 4: Boy, And I thought when he said two stints with the Patriots, that applied that he played for someone else.
Speaker 10: But maybe that's not what he meant.
Speaker 3: But that usually that's what that means.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but I'm I'm going to allow that's not a mistake, you know, So maybe he could.
Speaker 10: I didn't know he played, did he was?
Speaker 12: That?
Speaker 4: Was he part of the strike? Did he come back and break the strike or something? I thought eighty five was his last game.
Speaker 9: Ten games in eighty seven.
Speaker 10: I thought eighty five was his last too much.
Speaker 4: I mean, he didn't even that's part of the whole song. Two ye seven is what a career super Bowl appearance in his retirement year.
Speaker 6: Right right right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: Eighty five?
Speaker 4: I thought that was his last year, and then he came back played in eighty seven. Okay, so I'm going to say that.
Speaker 8: All right, you got that one, right, Audrey writes in Happy Wednesday to the Blue crew, Right, Fred, please fix the TV monitors behind you? Yesterday it was the only one behind Deuce now all three. A frequent bright white line across like a refresh. Not good on the eyes. I think that's by design, right.
Speaker 4: I could take it off.
Speaker 3: I don't care, but she was meant to be there, right, Yeah, I just notice it. Yeah, I see it.
Speaker 8: It's a white line that goes across where.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got away, hold on, hold on, there you see it? Did you see it? Yeah? It's like a UFO.
Speaker 10: I don't know, you're just changing screens. I get it.
Speaker 9: It happens every eight seconds on the twenty second.
Speaker 3: Matt, Matt being creative, Right, it.
Speaker 4: Really was me being creative.
Speaker 6: Job that job, Matt, change it.
Speaker 3: I will take it off.
Speaker 4: It was debated before answer.
Speaker 8: So the off season question, what is one thing over the remainder of the summer that you're looking forward to?
Speaker 3: Something not sports related? Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Sunday, I'm going to be on the beach on Cape Cod.
Speaker 8: Well, I will have an announcement to make. I mentioned it before as a thought, but it is coming to Fruition. I'm going to be starting my own podcast. It's kind of an.
Speaker 3: Extension of this show.
Speaker 8: But what it's more about the house I live in and the history of Cape Cod and all that stuff. But we'll be talking about appliances and do it yourself stuff and all the stuff that piss you off in UFOs and conspiracy theories and all this. A friend of mine, myself, Mark Callahan, We're going to be starting a podcast. I think I don't hold me to it. I think we're going to film our first episode July eighteenth.
Speaker 6: F you, Fred, And.
Speaker 8: We're doing some pre recording on Friday. That's going to be, you know, part of the show. Oh, it's not live. It's not like this show where it's live. Uh, it's going to be pre recorded podcasts. But certainly we'll be taking emails and all that stuff and answering and then I think once a month maybe we'll do a live stream. We'll see how the But I'll be officially announcing it on my ex and all that. But if you're listening to this show on a Wednesday in the middle of summer, you've got some news and it's going to be called Live from the Toby House.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, Cape History, Little Cape History, Yeah, the Widdow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go check out that pirate.
Speaker 10: I'm a little worried about Fred.
Speaker 4: I sounds like he's sort of a covering our positioning. Yeah, you're covering out a path going down in the wrong direction. I don't like this. You have a responsibility to make out No, but.
Speaker 3: I've been talking. I've been thinking about this for a long thoughts.
Speaker 6: You got things, you know, and you don't have to drive all the way to compile them. You can just do them right there in your house.
Speaker 3: YEA good.
Speaker 9: So what about you, PAULI, what do you got left?
Speaker 10: I had nothing going in life.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to do just I'm taking next week off hoping to do some fun things. Might go see the tall ships Monday night. Little dinner cruise sounds cool, there's my soulmate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Just some day trips planned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and some fill in shows, as Fred likes to call them, a sad holiday fill in tomorrow replacement tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is the big talk about that Tomorrow six am Eastern, six to ten on the Sports Hub here in Boston. Hardy Perillo and Heart Oh the old I got the old Patriots pre and postgame show back together. We've already been on the Slack channel for the show, and Andy and I have already you go on Slack for this. We've laid down the gauntlet. Well, they asked me not to.
Speaker 3: Say the Golden Girls. Has there been such a reunion show?
Speaker 4: They lay down the gauntlet to see Andy and I how fast we can get Hardy to walk out of the studio. Yeah, that's our golden.
Speaker 8: Drops in the middle of the like like a segment around the around.
Speaker 3: The eight o'clock hour. I just want you to throw on everybody loves.
Speaker 4: I donut see what he'll laugh. He will definitely ask.
Speaker 6: Him about his music shows too, and ask him to ask him to do play music.
Speaker 8: Ask him if he gets blue Choo for free.
Speaker 3: He's the blue Choo guy. It's ED medicine. Yeah, look at like we can get that.
Speaker 4: That was band performance enhancing Vicky Van.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the guy. He's the blue Choo guy.
Speaker 6: He's walking around handing out to people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well that's what I want to know. Does he get like free blue choo?
Speaker 12: That was.
Speaker 3: Like full on?
Speaker 6: Remember that in H D T U D t F Saint Louis where she's like full on, full on, she's getting full on.
Speaker 8: Does he get free blue Choo or do they stiff him?
Speaker 10: I'm trying to forget that I watched that show.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 8: That'll be it for this edition of Patriot's Unfiltered. And that's it for this week. We're back to our regular schedule next week Tuesdays and Thursday in the off season, getting close to training camp.
Speaker 3: But we will see you next Tuesday.
Speaker 9: Hey, this is Duce. Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 6: If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 1: Also make sure you follow us on.
Speaker 6: The New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 9: Thanks a lot,