Speaker 1: How difficult is it to get the mustache to do what it do right now?
Speaker 2: Chris Well, I like hurried the shower and put it together. So but I've been training it for I was doing a show where I had this.
Speaker 3: I just wants to do that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I just wants now. It's like more of a hassle to make it.
Speaker 1: Not do this now?
Speaker 4: Interesting because if I put an effort, I can do that right now, but I need a little bit. It's kind of like it's like a muscle. It doesn't the it doesn't stay flexed. It kind of limps over at some point.
Speaker 3: So you got to focus for like fifteen minutes and flex really hard, really hard, and then it goes.
Speaker 1: It's just really straight.
Speaker 2: I got my like the hair and makeup person on the show gave me the stuff that essentially turns into like cement, and I use that for like a week, and now it just wants to do this.
Speaker 3: Incredible been after washing or is it just it's not washing out? It's like I'm there's also legos stuck in it for some reason.
Speaker 1: I can't my fish hair looks like shit, you know what I mean. I couldn't even be in a story about somebody who has no facial hair.
Speaker 3: And he does this every time to try and fish for compliment, to get people to say, no, it actually looks good, mine.
Speaker 1: It looks so bad.
Speaker 2: There's something there. I swear I'm looking. I'm looking at not even that.
Speaker 3: I'm not even.
Speaker 1: Come on, baby, bring your face a little bit closer.
Speaker 3: Let me take a look at that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, baby, you've got something. You guys don't worry about that. I mean, it's crazy that I can grow hair like this. I'm Asian, Like, this shouldn't be possible. Yeah, I'm black and Asian, and I'm like, fucking the beards. The beard game on my black side is fucking strong. And then I look at all my like Asian family members, everybody just like shin hair.
Speaker 2: That's the only place they grow hair.
Speaker 3: Shin hair only. Shin hair only.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was cool when I was like in high school. I remember all the girls like, oh, look at your arms are so smooth. I'll be all self conscious and shit, and I'm like, man, you know, I'm still du though, you know what I mean. And then later on I'm like, no, they like that, they.
Speaker 3: Like that, But then I see your shins yeah, they's like your mind. Yeah, pick one spot asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah you fifth grade centaur.
Speaker 3: Shin Centaur. The shins are an animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah that band on Spotify.
Speaker 3: Your fair Centaur fucking rules. Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three ninety, Episode three.
Speaker 1: Of Derny Guys.
Speaker 3: It's a production of iHeartRadio. It's a podcast where you take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. And it's Thursday, May twenty nine, twenty twenty five. Oh yeah, what's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh it's National five to nine Day. You know you got that College Savings Foundation account. Yeah, yep, yep, yep. Shout out to anybody who has children that they want them to go to college and try.
Speaker 3: And work in five to nine.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Hours are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, four hours. Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I oversee an after school program.
Speaker 1: Oh oh okay, great. Great. Also it's National cook Avone Day for all you all French cooking fanatics out there. And also National paper Clip Day. Shout out Clippy, the old Microsoft fun character and all paper clips. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He's the lazy gone pretty dark. Now he's like you got a Manisphere podcast?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember ever since somebody used Clippy as a roach clip, it was all downhill from there.
Speaker 3: He was just he just claims that the reason he is no longer used was because everybody got too woke on him, the fact that he was you slits from the we don't use paper, and they're gonna try and bring his ass back with AI. I guarantee it. Oh yeah, yeah, I mean it's basically all AI is like a new version of Clippy being imposed on all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like sloppy mustard guy. Did you someone posting on Blue Sky like this like AI, Like there's all these AI chatbots and one's called sloppy Mustard guy, and it's an AI image of someone with mustard all over them. And the first thing they'll say is like, oh no, the mustard is everywhere, And I kind.
Speaker 3: Of like that. Not gonna lie. I mean, my name is Jack O'Brien. Hey, don't de playing without me, uh not warning you in the future time you straight and right out. Uh now I'm mushing your face. Oh man, well a message to you, man, well, that one courtesy is snarfula in reference to the face mush her around the world. It was just a playful mush.
Speaker 1: It's a playful mush, you know where I had a very serious face and I was kind of like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 3: What are you doing to? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Anyway, teach your stop.
Speaker 3: I'm thrilled to be joined by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's Miles Gray out of the hospital because I have a new career as a respiratory therapist and registered nurse. It's Miles Gray. Shout out to people who were checking in, be like, hey, you're you okay, it's everything okay, Yes, everything's okay. Just taking care of my mom. Doing great, doing great, doing great, every day better. But when you are in your late seventies and that pneumonia hits baby girl, baby girl, pneumonia hit different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they hit that shit hit as they say, but the kids say, you.
Speaker 1: Know that pneumonia hit different when you got past seventy five.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so happy to hear she's doing yes, Edge, yes, yes, Well Miles. We're thrilled to be joined by a very funny actor, writer, comedian, sound designer who you've seen on Broadway. Oh, Mary, If you're very fortunate and we're able to get a ticket basically the hottest Broadway performance of like the past number of years.
Speaker 1: That one of the few times you can say the hottest ticket in town, the hottest ticket in the hot including the Knicks, and they're in the Eastern Conference from you've seen them on TV and everything from queers Folk.
Speaker 3: To Brooklyn ninety nine, their award winning podcast One of Us with Finn and Chris, Please welcome.
Speaker 1: Chris ren for Chris. Oh what up, Cuties, Hey, thank you Chris. What do you think about my facial hair? Chris, it's hot. It's thank you. I told you, Jack, I told you. Chris one of the smartest people we've had on the show.
Speaker 2: It is crazy that, like, uh, you guys are both very attractive, and I don't know why. I maybe it's that, like I assume that people do radio and podcast because they eat, they have a face for radio, But both of you do have a face for a magazine, you know what, wow.
Speaker 3: And voices and personalities for a magazine as well. Yeah, not good in action, but maybe if this was just like still and you were kind of looking off into the middle distance.
Speaker 1: Like to tell you what you guys have been doing?
Speaker 3: Is that decision?
Speaker 1: It's not what you should be doing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this was a miss.
Speaker 1: This is a miss.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I can turn any compliment right around into some manner of like existentially damaging.
Speaker 2: You're going to be thinking about it all way.
Speaker 1: Fucked up.
Speaker 3: I should have been a magazine model.
Speaker 1: I should have been a magazine.
Speaker 3: I should a magazine. I told you, get mad at Miles. I told you I should have been due. It should have been a fucking scene.
Speaker 2: We had a sliding door situation three and a half years ago where I could have done radio or B magazine, and you fucked it crazy fucked me.
Speaker 1: The thing is I left. I left Conde Nast literal magazine, Yeah, to be just to do that. Man, Chris, where were you? Eight years ago?
Speaker 3: And I left my first job out of school after being a pool boy on a butler was ABC News, working for a show that was categorized as a news magazine. It was like, they're much worse version of sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: All right, let's just split the difference and we'll just go maga.
Speaker 3: There we go. Drop. That's that's what I meant.
Speaker 2: You both for giving maga.
Speaker 1: I'm very you'd be attractive for backwards fascists. That's what I.
Speaker 3: Have, that vibe. We just need to get the haircut, the hairstyle.
Speaker 2: I have no hair to speak of. So so you you got it?
Speaker 3: You look great?
Speaker 1: Wig I will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's always always Lauren's first question. How are you with wigs? This man?
Speaker 1: How it's a wig work?
Speaker 3: Chris? You are we We did spend the first thirty seconds of the call just being taken aback by everything that you have going on in your zoom window. The background is beautifully appointed, looks like a Wes Anderson shot. The vest, the facial hair, everything is looking incredible. This is not a you know, a thing where a show where we usually compliment one another's appearances quite hostile in this case. Yeah, it's overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's a nice way to start my day.
Speaker 1: Let's kiss.
Speaker 3: Let's start and everybody start kissing. Well, we're thrilled to have you. We are gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First couple things that we're talking about a little bit later on, we're gonna check out with the Pentagon. We you know, there was word that Pete Hagsath was on his way out. His dismissal was imminent. He has hung around and it sounds like things are going good. Miles has the report from the front line.
Speaker 1: Yep, as as it can be pretty.
Speaker 3: Good, and we might even get to the Nathan for you or sorry the rehearsal finale, which you know, I think if anybody Chris, did you watch the rehearsal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just watched the finale yesterday actually, and I need to talk to someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of people are in that book, in that boat, on that plane with you. Huh. So we we'll talk about it. It was a lot of fun. Miles has not watched the finale.
Speaker 1: Well, let's spoil it. It's been spoiled. It's been spoiled. It's been spoiled. It's been spoiled.
Speaker 3: But well, yeah, we'll talk about it all that plenty more. But first, Miles, just Chris, Miles. We like to ask our guest, Chris. Yes, we do, Chris, what's something from your search history that's revealing about who you are? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait, that's the one thing that I didn't do. Hold hold time.
Speaker 3: And we love it when you're unprepared for this one because then we get the truth.
Speaker 1: Y'all. Chris was so prepared I did all the other things, had the recording going the background immaculate.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a lot of it is just like online shopping. To be honest, I have, uh my health plan and four oh one.
Speaker 3: K okay, hell yeah, congratulations.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you re signing up for AMC stubbs. I wish there was like anything interesting. Oh and I have I have three searches for Aaron Tobate and three other searches for Devin Sawa. Oh wow, wait, why what's going on with I think that I was trying to explain to my my best friend Finn Argus, I host a co host of podcast with them, one of us, and I was trying to talk oh yeah, Final Destination. I was trying to talk about explain like the Final Destination series and who Devin Sahwa was. But they're incredibly young, and they just dull things, like we have a vast chasm of of not political knowledge, yes, political knowledge also, but pop culture, Like our pop culture references are just it's like we're we're speaking Spanish and Chinese to each other, like we just do not understand one another. So so often I'll have to bring up pictures of like Devin Sawa or like the original cast of Charmed, and she'll have to show me who like Olivia Rodrigo is, And I'm just like, I don't know, I don't know what that I.
Speaker 3: Know of violence to me bringing up Olivia Rodrigo.
Speaker 1: You're trying to make me feel like shit right now? Is that where you bringing up Olivia Rodrigo? I no, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a seven year age gap, so like I it's the best way for me to constantly feel out of touch.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, sure, yeah, Devin saw very iconic, recognizable face. But I'm realizing it's I think mainly the first final destination. It's I guess also Slackers. They were in Slackers, Yeah, But for me it's Little Giants. It's Casper Casper. Yeah, you know what's the other one in Casper?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, he was Casper.
Speaker 2: He was the heart throb, right, he he was Casper here, which is in a way the heart throb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, like yeah, it's yeah, but I just remember once Little Giants came out and then then he was on every like Team Pop magazine at the time, and like I remember all the girls having pictures out of Devin saw one.
Speaker 3: I was like all right, bro, I think that's where it is.
Speaker 2: Who were your heart throbs growing up? Like who were you looking up to?
Speaker 1: Boom like, like who did I like? What male did I want to be like? Or who? Like? Who was old lady I was lusting after? Uh give me both? Tyra Banks? When once she got on Fresh Prince, I lost my mind.
Speaker 3: I how you were saying the Tyra Banks when she puts on a mustache and like goes under cover with the figure that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Didn't that she did that? And she went out in public like in a fat suit. She's like, I'm going to spend three hours living the worst experience any possibly a hot model.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, like walking straight into doors expecting them to be opened. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just absolutely loved with Tyra Banks. And then to the same men Will Smith. At the time, as a kid, I was trying to be Will Smith.
Speaker 2: Also, funnily enough, those are the those are two people I looked up to also for very office.
Speaker 1: It's right there there at the crossroads of everybody's like for like sort of personality formation. I feel like, if you're a certain age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was Paul Abdul and because of the cold hearted Snake video. And I was really into Bruce Willis movies because I saw Diehard when I was too young, and so Bruce Willis movies were my favorite genre's movies.
Speaker 1: So I thought, that's where you see Jack and I's age difference.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Also, was very into those two for again very opposite reasons.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite Bruce Willis's moment.
Speaker 2: My favorite Bruce Willis moment is guest starring on Friends as Rachel's loved dress.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Bringing that Bruce Willis energy no matter where he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I've watched many movies with Bruce Willis in them, he simply must. I really know him as his star turn as a recurring guest star on Friends.
Speaker 1: That's great. If honestly, Lee, Bruce Willis there in your.
Speaker 3: Mind, that's fine. Fine, Really the Diehard films and a movie called The Last Boy Scout. But then there was also one that was like for the real heads called Hudson Hawk that was like known as his bit most disastrous. Like everyone's like, oh he he was on a heater and just went way too far and it's like all like he's completely rewritten the script and hit with his weird sense of humor, and like the the way that him as a cat burglar and his friend's time their burglaries is singing little like jazz standards because.
Speaker 2: None of the words that are coming out of your mouth right now, Jack makes sense to.
Speaker 3: Me exactly, And and I loved it. I was like, I'm gonna go to the video store and rent Hudson Hawk again.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm looking Bruce.
Speaker 3: Willis is like wanted to be a singer like this. The secret to his success, The way that he like always communicated like being sort of annoyed, was that he was actually annoyed to be there because he never he thought that he missed his true calling and he should have been a blues singer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The theme of this pod exactly, missed callings, Missed callings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could have been a magazine.
Speaker 3: So annoyed to be doing this podcast same, I could be a fucking getting hair to make up all day. What is something that you think is underrated? Chris?
Speaker 2: The thing that I think that is underrated is the Netflix TV show The Devil's Plan. I'm obsessed with this. They're out on season two right now, and me and my my ex Eliat. We watched the first season together and became really obsessed, and then the second season came out a couple months ago and we've been binge watching this show and it's just a series of games. But what is fun for us is that the rules to each game are so convoluted and long. They genuinely take twenty minutes out of each episode to explain you the new Google set, and we love it. We're like, oh, this is so complicated, it does not make sense. Uh, it's it's overly verbose. It's fun. It's so fun.
Speaker 3: To just to figure out a Korean show.
Speaker 2: It's a Korean show.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Doubles Point Show.
Speaker 3: Nice. I have enjoyed some that. What was the one that was different? Sort of physical fitness Physical one hundred, Physical one hundred. I love that show too. I watched both seasons of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They also have something called Core Culinary Class Wars where they pit one hundred chefs from different classes against each other. Very obsessed with the one hundred model.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: You know what's up next? One hundred men versus Gorilla's.
Speaker 3: Idea like chefs who like make street food versus chefs who are like high dining. Yeah, what a great concept.
Speaker 2: I was obsessed with the Food Network growing up Like that was my version of an escape growing up in Riverside, California. Are kind of almost middle nowhere. But just watching like Anthony Bourdain go around and try street food or drive ins, diners and dives? Is that the correct series of words?
Speaker 1: Triple might be.
Speaker 3: The right order, but that's the I believe that's the.
Speaker 2: Everything we call that. I love that triple D.
Speaker 3: Baby, tell them, tell them I need at least three d's.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, what is.
Speaker 3: Something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: What do I think is overrated? In and out? I just do not get it? Is that too niche?
Speaker 3: For our most common overrated? Basic alert?
Speaker 1: Basic alert, basic alert, basic learn?
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, I want to change mine to uh to basic human rights?
Speaker 3: No our least nobody thinks that's Wait, so what's your I mean?
Speaker 1: You said? Are you from Riverside? I'm from Riverside? Oh yeah, okay, so growing up so cow we know we know in and out is whatever. It's too. I think for people who come from outside of California, it's like and fine, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Find yourself like a Baker's find yourself like a candle. Oh yeah, OK, nobody has real jobs anymore. Become a candlestick maker, become a blacksmith.
Speaker 3: Giving bill maher, this is great, but what what for you?
Speaker 1: What's the part about in and out that to you is like whatever, just the whole, the whole.
Speaker 2: Thing, the whole experience. It's like the the fries are not good unless you you tell them to make them well done. It's like, Okay, I shouldn't be telling you to cook the fries. I think that's a given in the ordering process. The fact that they just outright refuse to have vacon. It's like, this is a this is a burger, not a test. Yeah, put bacon on it. And then just the long lines of it all. I'm not I'm not really interested. Lines are overrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, not a let.
Speaker 3: Met We do love a line and just humans will will just go wait in a line. There's so many lines all over Los Angeles and yeah, we just the best thing you can do for your restaurant is have just incredibly shitty service. Yeah, we're just completely understaff your place. So there's a line out the door.
Speaker 1: Well actually, but then it has to be good enough that someone's like, yeah, fuck it, I'll wait fifteen minutes for this Turkish coffee. That's the new spot I see in the valley. There's a Turkish coffee spot has a door, a fucking line out the door every morning.
Speaker 3: Turkish coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, m hm, up on that.
Speaker 3: Pickles or whatever was the latest, like fancy little foody trend. Sardines. I feel like tin tin fish, tin fish was one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I felt like I saw that at every wine bar that I went to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone was like, and we also have an amazing tin fish selection. I'm like, I didn't come here to eat canned food for meet from the nineteen seventies. And I get like, because what they do is like like you know, like that shit people do in Europe, like we up charge you, We up charge the fuck out of that for you to do that in a restaurant. They're like, here's a loose bag. Get in three Kansas sardines. Bus.
Speaker 3: I will say most of the people who say In and Out's overrated are usually people coming from outside. They've like heard about it, they've traveled with like In and Out in mind, and they don't like it. So to have somebody who is from the home of In and Out to just be like, nah, it's not good. Is pretty new.
Speaker 1: I will say thank you for making me feel better.
Speaker 2: I've been racking my brain trying to think of something else now, Like I guess, uh TikTok is overrated.
Speaker 1: Corona, the city of the Circle Cities.
Speaker 2: Where did you grow up?
Speaker 1: I grew up in the valley here. But I know, I mean, I know, I know southern California very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: To the degree that Miles gets his in and Out fries medium rare, yeah, he says, don't don't do them too. That's not a joke, Chris, I get them light. He mushy ass fry.
Speaker 1: You asked them.
Speaker 2: Don't even cook it, I said, come out that you try to cook it in the first place.
Speaker 1: Just put that potato through the slicer and just throw some oil. Just to put my mouth underneath the fry cooker me.
Speaker 3: Slicer in my mouth. I'll wrap my lips around it.
Speaker 1: You just like potato. This is from my O f man. Just the thing follow anyway, Let me get my mouth on that Thing'll.
Speaker 3: You mouth slam your face down on the table on top of.
Speaker 2: You guys into mook bang.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not into it, but I'm always amazed to see the person eat the amount of food that's in front of them. That part, I'm like, you really ate twenty fucking chicken sandwiches like that?
Speaker 2: How Sometimes it's spooky the amount that the people eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but for me overall, And no, I'm not like, I'm not one of those people who like, I'm into seeing that or then like scratching their nails on the crispy chicken and be like, okay, just eat whatever. Do you This ain't for me.
Speaker 3: I didn't know those two overlapped and luck Bang Oh people will give a shit with the food too.
Speaker 2: Mook Bang is under the umbrella of asmr.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's a subsection of right, it would be.
Speaker 3: So there's like some sensory experience that they're getting out of watching people devour like a whole punch bowl of ramen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or to eat chipole burritos in a row. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One time I saw somebody ingest five entire octopus tentacles and I thought that was rad or cooked.
Speaker 3: Were they still squirming?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They were. They were thick. Tell him oop, tell him? Tell him how thick were they cooked or were they where they were like they were purple and like rigid, like a full line.
Speaker 2: They were like they seemed like at most they may have been boiled.
Speaker 1: Right right, like a par boil, blanched even Okay, go off to Blanche Duboi. I'm up in it.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back. We'll get into some news that involves cocaine. Have you guys heard about this stuff cocaine? Be right back and we're back back, and let's talk about Pete Pete hagg Seth. Yeah, I hired Pete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as they call him, the d U. I hire Pete hagg Seth kept this little slightly lower profiles since all the signal Gate controversies over the last few months, or people like you're using apps that people used to buy psychedelic mushrooms with, you're doing like trade like national security secret talking on there. Oh that's bad, you know, And then he said the President is backing me. Everything is under control. It's just the leakers. It's a bunch of leakers with people that are aggrieved that need to get sorted out. Well, the last month or so, it's been pretty chaotic for the Pentagon because Heggsath fired a fuck ton of people working for him for reasons that are not that clear. Like he claims it's that they are leakers of sensitive information and like, you know, like and that's why they had to go, while others say he's just completely lost his ability to manage the situation, and the quote sensitive information is people just telling the press how much of a shit show it is at the Pentagon, nothing to do with like sensitive military plans.
Speaker 3: He's like, don't fucking tell them.
Speaker 1: This is a drunk ass shit show in here, right, fucking knock it off. His chief of staff, Joe Casper, had to quit after reports of him being shitty to military personnel and also just generally like he loves to talk about how big his shits are. This is from the Guardian quot. Sources also describe more erratic behavior by Casper, such as him describing a bowel movement in a business meeting. Quote can I just tell everyone around this table that I just took an enormous ship right before coming in here?
Speaker 3: Casper allegedly replied, no, you may not, and why would you think you could.
Speaker 1: Also, you should warn us rather than just baking in the thing that we may resist wanting to hear. Can I just say the thing he might not want to hear and then tell me if you want to?
Speaker 3: I thought he was like, yeah, you can tell us and be like go on, Okay.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like all of the dudes that I hung out with in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also the way that you say leakers, it feels like a slur. Yeah, within the like I'm sure it is. Yeah, yeah, freaking leakers, leakers everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's like they'll be such shitty Like they are inventing new slurs on a daily basis, and one of the ones they've recently come up with is pannikins, which are American and panic but people who are panicking mixed together. But it sucks. It's just like a bad word that but like not a bad word as like ooh naughty, like your your word that you've come up with sucks ship jack pasobiac. It's not it's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called having your eyes open and realizing what the consequences are going to be of everything.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe they would be better at coming up with new slurs. If they bothered to take an art or poetry class.
Speaker 1: That would require them opening up to a little bit more empathy, I'm afraid, And that's I think they're there in lies one of the big problems with their creativity.
Speaker 3: But also the thickens and these fucking empathic ins m to go go to south today, freak an empathegot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's my here's my hot take. I think that like if these people did genuinely did the work to sort of like make us all equal, you know, then they they could say slurs and they wouldn't have to try to invent these things, like if we were all paid equally and we're on the same social equal footing or whatnot. It actually wouldn't be bad if they said the f slur, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I would be like, yeah, go ahead, sing the whole chorus a gold digger on sensor.
Speaker 3: And that is all they're looking for.
Speaker 1: That's all they want. That's all because they're tired of saying she she don't looking for no broke broke, you know what I mean. They want to finish the damn sentence.
Speaker 3: Fair, damn it when you see that we see the chats on Reddit, like that is always what it comes back to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't I say they said all the time?
Speaker 3: They say it in their song.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Anyway, look up Hegemon. I don't even look up Hegemony. Fuck it. Yeah, just go gets your ass beat or something. So one of the other ousted advisors also implied that Casper, that former his former deputy staff, also likes to dabble in the disco fuel as well, like messily calling around like so it get out like do you know anything about him doing cocaine? And like so then that got out that this guy was asking about Casper's cocaine news. If you were like this is a mess.
Speaker 3: Then who was asking like the guy cocaine? I was like, do you know about my cocaine news? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no no. One of the one of the ousted like advisors that Hegxeth fired because he didn't fire this guy Joe Casper, the big ship taker, because that was like his boy. So then to undermine him the others, this other person's getting mess and like do you don't like Joe Casper is like hitting that blow cane like this fucking eighty.
Speaker 3: Eight or what I don't know any friendly ghost let me know, yeah, and it ain't the mattress fan. So then things again got a little bit more sour because the White House basically inserted themselves to like it like in all the Pentagon firings, because they just had to prevent the clown show from going further.
Speaker 1: Down the drain. One advisor asked hegsets lawyer, Hegset's personal lawyer who he brought onto the Pentagon was tasked with finding the leaker of like, you know, a military plan about the Panama Canal, but really he was tasked with figuring out who is leaking like talking all that shit to the press. And when the White House said, how did you come to believe that it was his? Like the fire deputy chief of staff, his lawyer basically let it slip that they used in illegal NSSAY wire tap on the guy. And then the White House advisor was like, hold the fuck up are you telling me? Hold on, you cannot have the fucking NSSAY spying on the Department of Defense, Like that is beyond like even for us, Like that's just we don't what are you fucking talking about. And when he realized how fucked up it was. The lawyer was like, actually, I think like I overheard it from another person and it wasn't actually the that say, like wiretap that was done without a warrant. Uh. That has yet to be resolved. So right now this is this is everything that's swirling around. They're spying on each other, they're taking big ships, and they're getting messy about cocaine use.
Speaker 3: They're so proud of their big ships, like Trump has bread.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know why, why is taking a big ship? Like she's like, yo, look how look at what I can get up out of my body there.
Speaker 3: You know, I've talked about this before. There is something like primal and like with with little boys. Again, these are children like my dad and his older brother used to save their ships to like compare them to one another's big ships. What do you mean like toilet to put it in a shoe box. It's just I wish you know, No, that's it is what they did when they were children. What call like.
Speaker 1: A pet caterpillar?
Speaker 3: That you really big pet caterpillar? Yeah, dark times. You know.
Speaker 1: Sholahoma built different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Philly, And we knew that already.
Speaker 1: We knew Philly was built different. But yeah, this is uh, this is continuing. There's still no like a lot of people have asked them, like one of these illegal warrant list wire taps. We still haven't gotten to the bottom of it because everyone's playing dumb now as like the controversies get more intense. But yeah, I'm we'll see what happens. This is all happening while you know, these are the people that are actually in charge of the fucking Pentagon, the fucking war machine, are just you know, frat dudes do a coke and taking big shits.
Speaker 3: If we had like a well funded like media like you know, like in nineteen seventies era, like mainstream media. How many water yates do you think we're averaging a week at this point from this administration, I'd say three a day, Like it's a lot, it's a lot. They're just they're coming through and then just being replaced by another water kait. They're just not it's not like they're doing it and it's a secret. They're doing it telling people about it, being like I didn't know you couldn't do that. And then the only reason that doesn't become like front page news is one like everybody scared because authoritarianism, but also it seems like it's you know, just replaced by the next one, the next outrage.
Speaker 1: There they're straight up violating protected speech, you know what I mean. These were things that were like total legal third rails. They're like, yeah, bro, that's like what are we talking about? That's the First Amendment. And you look at like now with Harvard there, you know, Trump's like you're gonna get fully defunded. And you know, Linda McMahon who's the Secretary of Education, is basically saying, well, they're not doing what the what the administration says to do, and if they run a foul of that, they're wrong. You're like, okay, well they have free speech rights, like you can't just say because they're not doing what you say and towing the line. Now they're up to have all you know, funds just totally vaporized.
Speaker 2: Well you think you have free speech, Well I have a gun, yeah, right exactly, Okay, that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 1: And then even just like they just the the sheriff that they just pardoned, that he just pardoned, and now the two the Chris Lies, you know that family that the reality star people that went to jail there.
Speaker 3: What's the story there? I like, couldn't again, this is their thing is working on me in that Like, it's so many new scandals that I'm just like, I don't fucking want to learn about this reality show couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was basically, I mean, they they were doing fucking fraud. They were convicted of fraud, and like we said on the other show yesterday, convicted of fraud. Like we said yesterday, if you are white and as long as you don't kill another white person, you can get a parted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can get one.
Speaker 1: So they tick all the boxes TV white people Maga check only did fraud and stole from people? Check, Okay, you can get.
Speaker 2: A pardon because well, fraud is free speech. Thats right, It's it's your fault for believing in my free speech.
Speaker 1: I said it, and I can't say it. That's protected speech. Sadly, I feel like we are probably looking towards some kind of you know, some kind of like codification of fraud into our laws to be like, well, if you get got, you get got according to this new statue.
Speaker 3: I do think that we need a we need a metric. Somebody needs to start tracking like whip like watergates per news cycle is like a you know, like what the what all those like baseball stats that are like what's their warg We need something like that for this administration, just like we.
Speaker 1: Need like uber metrics for to understand it.
Speaker 3: Uber metrics for just the massive flood of corruption.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's say that you get some high ranking job in the government and you're there. You you only have like a week morals side, what's the biggest scam that you think you can pull off in a week, Like in terms of to enrich myself or to like breelish, like, can you achieve your supermarket suite?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you getting the turkeys or are you going straight for the uh for the hoses and the tires?
Speaker 1: What are you going for? If I'm like, if I'm thinking really a macavelion here, I would I would take something that I know I can cash in later for something much bigger. It doesn't I wouldn't be looking at money. I'm looking for like information or something that I'm like, oh, I could flip this.
Speaker 2: I'm a flipper. The passwords to the New York Stock Exchange.
Speaker 1: I'm a flipper. I'm a I like to flip Yeah, I'm yeah, Like I like to go to the thrift store and go thrifting. I'm like, Oh, they don't, they're they're they're sleeping on this thing. I'm gonna take that. I'll go sell it to another nation or some ship, you know.
Speaker 3: I think blackmails are right answer because the the fraud is so flagrant at this point and you have to assume at some point it won't be And also it doesn't seem like it's the thing that any but he inside the administration is necessarily looking for while they're in it, because they are all like true believers. So I feel like you could just like be the was that like invention of Lying that movie where like nobody else knows how it ever knows what lies are, Like, you could kind of be that for like the only person who realizes that Donald Trump is like committing massive fraud on a daily basis and just like build, build your case, get out of there, and then make some money on the back end.
Speaker 1: Chris, you're in the White House. What are you doing? What are you doing? Uh?
Speaker 2: I think that I'm gonna print myself off a bunch of different passports.
Speaker 3: That's smart.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I don't know how long that takes. But if I got a couple extra days, I'll also hide a plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hide a plane. I mean, with the way the defense spending is, you could probably get like a jet or something like a fighter jet. Uh, you know, just kind of chilling in the corner or something like that. There are too many of them. There's no way that they have an Excel spreadsheet tracking where easily walk out of there with some guns. There's no way that. I mean, we don't. We can't even track the guns in the in the fucking cunt and at any.
Speaker 2: Like okay, real talk, I would be scared of owning a gun. I think that I'm just like too, I'm like too much of a manic pixie dream grow. I would I would just like be like with doopsy, I dropped it and it's like fully automatic, you know, just like twirling around the room. Yeah, whipping around like a snake. But I would love a military tank.
Speaker 1: That's a stunts.
Speaker 2: No one's going to try to get my parking spot.
Speaker 1: Like those people who are like, excuse me, I'm saving this parking spot, like you can't save spots now watch this ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then you just carefully parallel park. Yeah, the Pentagon would be the place to target, both because every buddy seems to be drunken on cocaine currently and also like even before everybody was drunken on cocaine, they misplaced like three billion dollars like a few years back. So I feel like you could you could really just I don't know, like the scheme from Office Space would work, you know, just like rounding some rounding errors and suddenly you have like thirty million dollars in the bank. Yeah, yeah, anyways, just ideas.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Look, if you're a federal worker, please give us some better ideas. I mean, we came into this cold, I barely did any research. But if you're a federal worker and you've got some real tips for us, let us know.
Speaker 2: I know, I wonder. I'm sure there's like way cooler things that we just like don't even have the ability to extrapolate.
Speaker 1: Like whatever the doge fuckers like. Obviously they're trying to get a ton of sensitive information and things like that, but I'm like, what's like the low hanging fruit of sensitive information? I could be swooping up.
Speaker 3: They're all going to be like billionaires in the future. I feel like like the way that oligarchs happened in after the fall of the Soviet Union was just like they created all these coupons that were like, Okay, this coupon gives you access to ten percent of the petrol industry in Russia, and like one guy just like collected all those and now he like runs petrol and so I feel like Doge, like, that's probably what those people are doing, and they'll be our future oligarchs. Yeah, there enough to drive I love games.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, once they're old enough to have a beard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Anyways, this is probably how people are thinking about the administration right now, right like, as I guess, there's the true believers, but then I think there's a lot of people who are just like.
Speaker 1: People are shameless. It's like if you've been to an award show and there's been like a gifting suite and they're breaking it down and people come in like, hey, can I take this? Can I take the ya? Are you using this? I'm taking this, I'm taking this, I'm taking this. I'm taking That's how people are probably looking at That was a very specific reference to when I worked events.
Speaker 3: See there were.
Speaker 1: Names, I know, there were just times people would come in trying to get so much free shit because they thought no one wasn't looking. And you're like, wow, this really is the human condition, just like get yours if you have no moral scruples.
Speaker 3: And also there's just like no nobody's like really paying attention. Like there's this article. I think it was in the Atlantic, so I didn't read it, but it was they were talking about how like the usual process really getting access to the president for an interview. You know, you go through you get vetted, and then you know you have to like go through all these official channels you kind of like say, give your pitch, your one sheet on like what you want your interview to be about. And they were like, and you know, we were in this process for three months. Our story was ostensibly like you're the most important president leader of the twenty first century, you know, like ass kissing stuff. Then like then they could like back into actual questions from and like a week before the interview, people at the White House were like, they've written critical things about you, and so Trump like started tweeting about how much he hated them and like backed out of the interview. And then a week later they just called him. They just like got his phone number and called him and ended up like having a four hour conversation with him. Anyways, They're just like, yeah, we actually just like called him. He was at his golf club and he was in a good mood and so we talked for four hours. Anyways.
Speaker 1: It's so because is this after Signal Gate where the fucking editor of the Atlantic was involved in those defense chats? Like do they remember from that?
Speaker 3: They're like, I think the Atlantic just like has realized that absolutely everyone's asleep at the wheel. Now. It's just like you can just like walk right in and meet with the president.
Speaker 1: That's Cristy. I was. I was in the I was in the Capitol. They said Trump's phone number was written on a bathroom stall.
Speaker 3: I called it.
Speaker 1: That was his phone.
Speaker 3: Straight up call for.
Speaker 1: A good time, for a great interview.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and we're going to talk about the rehearsal the HBO show. I don't know how many people have watched it, so we probably need to give people the background on like what the show is. It's very very difficult to explain, but yeah, I think people know Nathan Fielder from Nathan for You, right, And the.
Speaker 1: First season of rehearsal where like the conceit was like what if you could rehearse an interaction over and over again so you felt like you were in better control of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they the first season, the things that they did is like somebody had an awkward conversation that they had to have, and so they like built a bar where they would be having the conversation and like did all this stuff and got them prepared, had brought in actress to play the person they would be having the conversation with. And then they the second through sixth episode, we're all about like somebody who wanted to have a kid but like didn't know if they were ready and was just a fascinating character. So they they rehearsed the entire process of raising a child from like birth up through like teenage years.
Speaker 1: This one, I'd say it's probably best to just just if you haven't seen this season, is just to say that this time Nathan Fielder has a very very intense interest on airline safety, and will literally stop at nothing to try and find a solution for why planes keep crashing. And when I say literally anything, any fucking mean it And I don't really want to. I haven't seen this this the finale. Although I do know what the big spoil, the big event is has been spoiled. I don't care because everything the journey up into this point is such a fucking it's your mind will be blown in so many, so many ways over and over again.
Speaker 2: It's wild how tinly it is too, Like there's no like, how did he pick this as like a thing to focus on this season? Yeah, and as it's coming out, we have all of the disaster after disaster after disaster in the news about planes crashing.
Speaker 3: So here's my dark conspiracy theory.
Speaker 1: He's doing that.
Speaker 3: He was making this show at a time that where there hadn't been an American aviation disaster in like a decade. He needed something to happen. I'm just saying, no, I don't think he planned it to that degree, but everything short of that is within play with I.
Speaker 1: Mean, the one thing I thought was like, as someone who was an insufferable Malcolm Gladwell reader, I was like, this is from Outliers.
Speaker 3: Yes, the whole thing is this is any Malcolm Gladwell's was racist. Yeah, he's like, because you know Asians, it was this So basically his theory that I mean, you learn in the very first episode. So I don't feel like this is foot this is spoiler, but there's like really good. Like one of the things that they do a recreation of is they take the black box recordings from actual plane crashes and then have pilots reenact what is happening in the cockpit as these crashes happen, and there are these just awkward interactions between the pilot and a co pilot who's like, yo, we're going to crash, but like the pilot is like, no, what are you talking like that one pilot who's like it's a woman who is the co pilot, and he's just like so stupid, this is my plane, Like you know, it's like such a dick and then they crab it dies on the plane. But it's basically the theory is that they don't have open enough lines of communication between pilots and co pilots to a degree that that hierarchy they're being a pilot and co pilot leads to co pilots not saying things when something horrible is about to happen, which is like their job. Their job is to like they have a matching set of steering instruments right next to them, and they're supposed to be there to say, Okay, my plane, I'm taking over control because you're fucking this up for whatever reason. There's like something you can't see in the situation. There's something that you've like just like kind of you're having a situation where you can't like properly fly the plane. And a lot of times people, even though they know they're headed for trouble, like won't do that. The co pilots won't do that. And so his theory is like you need to find a way to open up that line of communication through kind of rehearsing or like putting them in little situations where they get better at communicating.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, this finale, I haven't seen it, but it it's it's it's it's quite a moment from what I'm reading. But I don't know if that's really the emphasis of the main thing around it, like whether it's the exact finale. But Chris, I don't know how did you feel about the show before we kind of dive into what the show is trying to do, what it could be doing, or what it maybe wasn't doing.
Speaker 2: So I was already obsessed with the show. I loved season one, I love Nathan for You, I really enjoyed the Curse, And then watching this finale, my jaw was on the floor the entire time. Just the absolute scale of this. I'm going to try to talk around spoilers, but he did, I guess he did. You prepare for the finale for two and a half years leading up to it, so like even before filming, So just how long that this man has been working on this project is insane. I've never done anything remotely fractional to the degree that this guy is doing things right. And I found myself like my heart was racing through this finale. My jaw was on the floor. I was texting friends and being like, please watch this with me right now. And it and it doesn't completely feel like it's not like it's just spectacle there. I enjoy the fact that there is like an intellectual angle to it, like he's doing it for a purpose, he's doing it to it seems like actually affect good change, hopefully through the lens of comedy and absurdism, and it's just it's really admirable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I felt when he was the giant baby breastfeeding.
Speaker 3: That really from yeah, he's just being waterboarded, but by milk breast milk boarded. He really like walks the line between like is this are we watching a person with a having a mental health crisis who's about to like endanger the lives of a bunch of people, or like is he a genius? You know, that's like kind of the line that he's walking at the through Throughout the series, there is like one point from the finale that I don't think spoils anything, but I think really like drove the whole thing home for me of like the pilot co pilot dynamic. At one point, he's like in a in the back seat of an Uber and the Uber driver is scrolling through TikTok while they're driving, and.
Speaker 2: Then like phone in the dashboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, phone in the dashboard. I'm like, oh, yeah, I've had that, especially like more and more recently, I've like had that and I haven't said anything. And that's exactly what they're talking about with the co pilot like that they're doing something dangerous that could get you and them killed, and you're like, yeah, but I don't want to have like an awkward conversation like that would be so awkward if I like said that, And what if they gave me like a lower rating.
Speaker 1: What if they lowered your casket six feet into the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a b It's so interesting. I wonder if this is like a phenomena of modern society or if there is, like is there an analogous situation to folks in the past. We're built on this on like so many mechanisms of having to trust strangers like ubers, taxi drivers, airline pilots and things, and like these awkward conversations and having to scirt around them and like kind of betting our lives.
Speaker 1: Like is there something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think food safety used to be a big thing that like harmed and killed people a lot, and it was just like stuff up the supply chain from you that you just had to be like, man, I hope, I hope this isn't poison and a lot of times it was.
Speaker 1: I hope this canned fish is not poisoned.
Speaker 3: I just remember the story like typhoid Mary, who was the person who like created a lot of the or like contributed to a lot of the typhoid outbreaks in New York. In I think it was like the late nineteenth century, was just somebody who was head typhoid but her head typees but like it was just shedding it, but it wasn't killing her. She was like a host that could just like hold it and just give it out, and she just kept like cooking for more. Like she would get caught, they'd want to like put her in an institution. She'd disappear and then go like work for.
Speaker 1: Another family, and like everybody was just like incredible diva, like you can't amazing get in the bag exactly.
Speaker 3: She's like, this is where I'm good at. She had like a famous peach cobbler that everybody was like, oh Mary or peach cobbler, but like they would all die and then like a week later she'd be like, well, I guess I gotta go go do this again somewhere else.
Speaker 1: But I guess it is the I guess maybe the thing you're getting that Chris is like, is it just because of like this sort of like European drive concept of social hierarchy versus like, you know, we look when you look at the examples of like European hierarchies or maybe indigenous cultures that have hierarchies, but but like responsibilities are distributed a little bit more equally, like not in a place you're like, I could never say anything to the person in this position, which feels very much like coming out of like our monarchist sort of like conception of like power structures or things like that. I wonder if that's kind of a specific thing. I don't know if like that's kind of like what's always breeding this idea of like you have a place where you do not want to sort of rock the boat from wherever you're at, it's sort of like the base level where people operate from. And then then there are other people who just you know, aren't really bothered by that, aren't burdened by it to speak their mind.
Speaker 2: Crazy of you to think that I was smart enough to ever think that that was my point.
Speaker 1: Because the more I know, the more I we like learn about like indigenous you know, culture and how it's structured and so different and so anti capitalist and antithetical to everything that ills us. Now, I'm like, oh, like this sort of like ye slocks right in with the idea that if you are here you cannot say shit to someone up here and don't even think about it. You should try to get up there if you want to talk something to them or whatever. It's like, it's just not part of our culture to be able to like call some shit out without fear of retribution.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a whole massive, you know, libraries and libraries of information about you know, indigenous cultures that is just being ignored because they didn't have immune systems that were prepared for people who lived in pig shit, and so we were like, well, we must be superior to them then, right right, and so we won't learn all these like beautiful philosophical ideas on how to organize your culture.
Speaker 1: But we are now, you know, as more people have an interest in me more and more.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, that's that book, The Dawn of Everything is about. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Damn, the world would be so different if the tables were turned just ever so slightly. It's just like one hundred and eighties, ever so slightly exactly the opposite. It's like if the Europeans who came over actually were not prepared for the sicknesses that the indigenous people were. Just like, yeah, and George over there ain't doing too good, but he'll probably make it through.
Speaker 1: Just don't talk to him.
Speaker 2: They're like, I'm gonna talk to him, right, We're good.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're just like not like just they The only way that the European settlers were able to like come in and colonize the Americas was because everybody just died off. It was like an apocalypse happened, and then you know, all of these battles and like you know, the things of like cowboys versus Indians, was just that that's like the remnants they were fighting, the post apocalyptic remnants of people who had like ninety five percent of their population have been wiped out by disease. So like, just if that hadn't happened, that would have been plenty to just keep things even. But I don't know, anyways, we should get back to the rehearsal. This is about manifest destiny, man, you know, in many ways, try and manifest that.
Speaker 2: Shit, what do you have a situation in your life right now that you could use a rehearsal for like, is there a conversation or something looming in your head that you wish that you had Nathan Fulder on hand?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yes, yes, what is that? Let's open the I want to tell Jack I've been lying about who I am for the best seven Oh my god, I did not go to STU go to seven years. I didn't go to college.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: This isn't even a microphone. It's like I'm holding and I've been getting away with it. I don't know, ah man a situation. I think I would have used one when I told my grandparents I wasn't going to get baptized when I was like eighteen, I was running that shit through my head. They're always like, you should get baptized, baby, you should get bad you should get saved, baby, you should think about it because you know you only had a dedication. You should get a baptism. And I was like the whole time, I'm like, bro, I am so off this religious shit like it is to me, it's it's like fucking everything up around or I see it as a huge driver of a lot of bad things around me historically and currently. And then I the best I did. I remember getting really high and it hit me. I was like, wait, okay, we'll flip. And I remember I went to my grandparents house. They brought it up again. I said, you know, Grandma and Grandpa, I don't think I want to get baptized. But if I met Jesus, he would think I'm doing shit right. He wouldn't say I need to really tighten up. He would be like, Okay, that dude is all right. And that's how I look at it. And I don't know if I need to have a baptism to be a good person, but I do say that I treat others with respect, and I see that I say that as a baseline. And they were like, oh I never I didn't.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, And I was like, thank god. I thought they were gonna be like that got fuck out. But they're loving people and it wasn't that big of a deal. But that was That was a conversation I definitely rehearsed many times in my head.
Speaker 3: In your head, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Do you think the Fielder method would have worked on your grandparents?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's where actors follow people around them. It's all so creepy.
Speaker 1: The primaries Yeah, what about you, risk you have a you have a rehearsal moment that you could have used. Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I'm really good at speaking my mind, I think so maybe it's like kind of the opposite. I probably need someone to like intervene and be like, actually, maybe we don't need to have that conversation.
Speaker 1: Tongue holder if you will, Yeah, no, no, no, let's hold your tongue and.
Speaker 3: Give you a take back on this one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need like an instant replay right right, right right, instant redo.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, hmm.
Speaker 3: What about you, Jack, Yeah, I think I think I would get more in my head if I had rehearsals. I think I think I have kind of the opposite situation where like I just need to do the thing because I ruminate too much on things already and like over prepare.
Speaker 1: I could see you getting fucked up by like a curveball. Like if you had rehearse the thing over and over and the first interaction wasn't something on the chart, you'd been like, fuck.
Speaker 3: And I do have a chart, and I have I have this whole conversation branched out, and.
Speaker 1: This isn't on my diagram. You're just holding a stone tablet as you talk and good, okay, we did. So that leads to this yes, I am having a good day, and how is your husband? Yes?
Speaker 3: Check, check check.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean this rehearsal thing, I think, is it the communication or is it capitalism? You know?
Speaker 3: That's right, Like, so that's that's one point that people have been making. I mean, it is a good point that communication breakdowns have caused problems in the past. It's also not like a new idea. I think the show does kind of I think it acknowledges that some people have pointed this out before, but it does make it seem like this is like kind of a completely new idea, right, And it's it's not. There's a lot of like group dynamic industries that focus on people being able to like rehearse or like do little games of role playing where people just kind of get in the right energy space and it is really interesting like that something as silly as like okay, I am captain all years and your first officer blunt and just like something that silly, but like it just energetically like changes the dynamic of like two people who haven't really met or talked.
Speaker 1: All right, start with space work. Start with space work, that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, talking about space work. I feel like I come from an improv background. I did a lot of it, and I think that all improv is rehearsing for the unrehearsable. I think there's like a lot, a lot in my mind, Like I'm naturally like an anxious person first, like in terms of like these conversations that we're talking about, like the big ones of not wanting to get baptized or like coming out as queer or whatever, but like something about you can't prepare for those, but if you can prepare for the unpreparable, that feels good.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I can get in his mind space and be like, oh, I get why you would want to do this, right, Yeah, because at.
Speaker 1: Least if you've, if you've felt the sort of sensation of like, oh I need to adapt and listen and quickly do something like this. Yeah, it does sort of set the bar for you, at least with confidence to you know, encounter those kinds of moments.
Speaker 3: But yeah, going back to just uh, and this is a bit of a recurring theme on this podcast. So Nathan Fielder is a comedian. His interest is in interpersonal awkwardness, but like the bigger problem with aviation safety as capitalism and airlines and aerospace manufacturers putting profits first and needs of workers and passengers behind profit and underfunding regulatory agencies like the FAA while giving huge tax breaks to profitable companies like Boeing. But it's you know, communication and the cockpit and things like this that are failings of the employees, are things that those corporations actually point to to try to escape culpability, like they'll they'll be like, well, look, this was actually just a failing of the flight crew, right error, Yeah, operator error, when in fact, like a lot of the times, it's because people are being overworked and not being given enough rest, and like the regulations that were put in place to protect the passengers on their planes is getting bent or like push in a different direction because it's no longer you know, that FAA just is. It's like the FDA, all all those things, all those agencies that just don't have the money or the manpower that a massive corporation does.
Speaker 1: In the United States, it's like in a very dangerous way, like anti worker too, because in that one episode, all the pilots talk about it is like well, you can't tell them you're having any kind of emotional distress that they will fucking ground your ass, and so your whole job depends on you tending nothing is wrong with you ever too. And I'm like that's not good, Like it can't be that you said, like, we only are interested in people that can actually you know, they can fucking compartmentalize to the point that we don't know what's going on behind those eyes. That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 2: I don't love to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, don know about that. I'd like I prefer situation where someone goes, you know, I'm a little stressed and overwhere I think I need to, I need I need to, I need a few days. You know. That's that feels a little bit safer. But yeah, And I think that was also one of the moments in that show too that really touched me, were like when he was just using like crew people to like engage these other pilots to just have conversations and these people were so starved for like conversation. That hit me in a way when I was like, oh my god, like these people feel so I mean, obviously these are the people that they got to be on the show, but at least this sort of sub section of pilots that they had on the show felt so in need of, like being able to talk about what's.
Speaker 3: Going on or just yeah. Actors would come up and be like, how's your day going, and they'd be like, I guess it goes back to my mom, you know, and I feel like it was to get their chest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's on patriarchy.
Speaker 3: That's that's the second sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like there's so much culture around like keeping your emotions tight, like we've built these structures, like like that's just built into like these cultures. Now, emotions are gonna be they're bad, they're not good. You do not talk about them. Tough enough, do your job and if you funk up, that's on you.
Speaker 3: That's why Malcolm Liwell was right, you know in many ways as it comes back to spot on, bro, they're just they're too respectful.
Speaker 1: Really doesn't what it is? They're too polite? Oh thanks?
Speaker 3: Oh really Canadian? Is that right down to being rice farmers for so long? What you know?
Speaker 1: What's going on now? Look at the size of their hands, the space between their thumb and ring finger, I'm like.
Speaker 2: The fuck the space wild politios.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got problems with politikins. There's now a massive pilot shorges. By the way, they're around eighteen thousand fewer commercial pilots than the industry needed in twenty twenty three, and people haven't stopped flying since twenty twenty three, and in fact, I feel like it's gone up a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, what say is because the benefits suck. You don't want to be a pilot no more.
Speaker 3: It's just these dang pilots are too weak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quote overworked to the point of fatigue due to disruptions in last minute schedule changes. As a pilot's union said, huh.
Speaker 2: They're too woke. We need them to be overworked in us sleep exactly.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right too damn woke. Well, Chris, it has been a true pleasure having you on the show Pleasure, True Pleasure.
Speaker 1: Tp DP.
Speaker 3: Where can people find you? Follow you, hear you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: You can find me on Instagram at the meat Skeleton. Yeah, m e a t uh And you can listen to my podcast One of Us with Finn and Chris that I co host with my best friend Finn Argus. It's a mixed between improv and candid conversations. It's really really beautifully sound designed as well. It's a fun little escape. And it's also not to be confused with one of us, the Christian Worship Podcast. I have to search one of us with Finn.
Speaker 1: What if God was one of.
Speaker 3: Oh? I wonder if that is what the Christian Worship Podcast is like, based on that song that blew their fucking mind?
Speaker 1: Like, whoa did you just fucking hear what Joan Osborne fucking said?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, stranger, a stranger.
Speaker 1: One of us? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're on the bus trying to make way home.
Speaker 1: God is good.
Speaker 3: I was like, what the fuck is this? Y'all?
Speaker 1: Ninety five is cooked?
Speaker 3: Is there, Chris a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: I guess I already burned that with in the talk about the rehearsal and the uh the Devil's Plan, But I do I did screen grab a couple of tweets that I that really got me.
Speaker 1: We liked that recently. If that if I can share one of those.
Speaker 2: Ye, yeah, it's I don't know how to try to translate a tweet into this audio format.
Speaker 1: So, MA, should I just recite it to you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's how we do it, Okay. So the premise of this one is my first day in a drug cartel. The kingpin says, where's the coke? Me is pepsi? Okay, and then later police officer. This is the most bullet holes we've ever seen in a single party.
Speaker 1: Who posted that.
Speaker 2: I really got me crying U the the name is just Aaron?
Speaker 1: Okay, shout Aaron. Don't funk around.
Speaker 2: This is the most bullet holes we've seen in a single body.
Speaker 1: Tying back in that coke.
Speaker 3: Line, that coke, that cocaine. Miles. Where can people find you as their work of media?
Speaker 1: You've been in find me everywhere? When you got the at symbols at miles of Gray. There's basketball talk ahead on Miles and Jackot Mad Boosties and if you like ninety day Fiance ahead o hooy, and if you like ninety day Fiance talk with a very faded host and co host, check me out on four to twenty day Fiance. Now, let's see works of media, a work of media. Yes, on Blue Sky. Uh, there was this the Onion. This is from a few days ago. It's just like this, Like you know, they you know how they always have like a stock photo of someone for their headlines, Just like this, buttoned up a white dude in a suit. It says, very important man. One of the main guys where he works. Guys, So that descriptions him. Fucking killed me because that's something people just used to. Actually, he's one of the main guys where he works. Oh, he's one of the main guy. Yeah, he's one of the mean dudes.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then another one at Brendel Board dot Bescot on social posted, ah, my greatest foe someone who's politics are ninety five percent identical to my own.
Speaker 3: Fucking losers people. Let's see work media. I've been enjoying tweet from lev At a book of symbols, tweeted Witness Protection program, but for when you just kind of suck and need a new start.
Speaker 1: I think that's just a good pitch.
Speaker 3: And then David Grissman tweeted, ideally the rehearsal not be funded by HBO, but rather by the Work Progress Administration as a project of the new Deal. We need that. Sesame Street and the rehearsal, you should both just be public works.
Speaker 1: I'm with that. I'm with that.
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O Brian and on Blue Sky at jack Obi and then the Number one. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. You can go to the description of this episode wherever you're listening to it, and there you will find the footnotes is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song there that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think that people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, Stereo Lab one of my favorites. I was just listening to them over the weekend and there's a track called Diagonals that's really fucking dope. It's just again. Stereo Lab is just that good, that feel good music to have around your house, like most music you know, but this one is great. It's got nice vocal melodies, it's got a really funky drum break at the beginning. So check it out. Diagonals by Stereo Lab.
Speaker 3: All right, we will link up to that in the footnote for today. Zeitgeist is a production of My Heart Radio For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning. We're back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, bye bye. The Daily Zeite Guys is executive produced by Catherine Long, co produced by Bee Wang.
Speaker 3: Co produced by Victor Wright
Speaker 2: Co written by Jam mcnapp, edited and engineered by Justin Connor.