Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's hour two on this Thursday, Dan and the Day Nuts Dan Patrick Show. It's a Heisman hour. We'll talk to RG three who will stop by. Also, Bryce Young will stop by, Mark Sanchez. Next hour, your phone calls, we'll get to those eight seven to seven three DP show. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. It's a meat Thursday here. The folks from Treger are outside. They got here early. I of course had to inspect everything that's being cooked, including a whole gator. So they have a whole gat out there on one of the traggers. They have alligator bites, catfish, they have shrimp, red beans and rice, gumbo, jumbalaya. They have a Cajun corn, they have poe boys, and they have hurricane cocktails. Yes, Tom, so that's.
Speaker 3: Why you were so swamped before the show.
Speaker 4: See what you did with that.
Speaker 2: Thank you to? He was sitting on that one for like an hour.
Speaker 3: Thank you to since Wednesday except earlier this morning.
Speaker 2: Uh poll question for hour two. I'll get some headlines in here as well. See, yeah, we got up there right now? Who is closer to a ring?
Speaker 5: Your options are the Heat, Warriors, Lakers, Spurs, MAVs Right now, MAVs running away with that one.
Speaker 4: Actually, I've got about.
Speaker 5: Thirty eight percent of the vote, followed by Spurs, Lakers, Warriors, Heat have about two percent of that boat.
Speaker 4: That's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Heat shouldn't be on the list, that's tough.
Speaker 4: The Spurs.
Speaker 2: I like the future, but they shouldn't be the second option there. I like what they're doing, but they shouldn't be the second option. I would have the Lakers in there. Then I would have Golden State. Yes, yeah, the Lakers for team? What are they in?
Speaker 6: Like fifth?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 5: They feel kind of far down that list. Is that just because people don't like them?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they're definitely polarizing.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think people want, you know, outside of Los Angeles, want Lebron to get another title. I don't think that that's and certainly the people in Dallas don't want the Lakers to get another title with Luca going there. All right, So there were some moves made. Jimmy Butler finally move to the Warriors, and it's last call for a championship there Pelicans trade brandon Ingram to the Raptors. Lakers trade Dalton Connect to Charlotte for Mark Williams. And I do like the move of the Lakers. This is a legitimate big man. And the report was Luca wanted somebody that he could throw lobs to, and you got Mark Williams, who does have some good numbers once again when he's on the court, when he plays. NFL will play in Australia. The Rams will be one of those teams. We don't know the other one. The NFL Player Association, they said that they are not in favor of eighteen games. Okay, the NFL will be playing eighteen games eventually. This isn't Neil. This is where I would ask the NFL Player Association. So you say, under no circumstances where you go to eighteen games, wait for your answer, and I know your answer is gonna be You're gonna get what you can get. Then all this is is negotiations, that's all. But the NFL Player Association said they're against eighteen game season. But I'm good to guess they'll probably cave in a little bit there. Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle, the DP show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, download the app if you haven't done. So we make way for a friend of the show. He is Robert Griffin the Third or his move mclevan used to say Robert Griffith Junior the third, the former Rookie of the Year Heisman Trophy winner and is a great podcast out of pockin with RG three on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. RG three is. Can you know if you're watching on Peacock, if you win a Heisman you can wear an outfit like that?
Speaker 6: Yes, that is a prerequisite. You have to win Haysman before you can throw this ONNG. But how's everybody doing today?
Speaker 2: Everything's good? So tattoo on the leg.
Speaker 6: Yes, tattoo on the leg. I got a big goku right here. So for all my anime fans Dragon Ball, see, uh, we're going super saying on them. So I got to make sure I have it, show it off. Not otherbody gets to see my tattoos, uh Dan.
Speaker 2: So well, if you got legs like that, I would wear.
Speaker 6: Shorts to That's what my wife says. So I'm happy. Yeah, are you gonna see? That was when I wear shorts. He's like, man, you gotta wear shorts. Are often like, you're right.
Speaker 2: Are you going full body tattooed? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I have a full left side of my body is tattooed. So I got an arm sleep here with a griffin, a tiger, Japanese house because I was born in Japan. Uh. Then I got my family here with the lions, and uh my leg is mostly anime and my favorite superheroes. So I got the Incredible Hulk right here on my thigh. I got the Ninja Turtles on the inside, easy there, and uh, yeah you can't.
Speaker 4: You can't see that.
Speaker 6: I got the black panther on the hamstring right here. Yeah, I don't need to see your tur I can't see it either, So it hurt bad, and I don't know why I got it, but I love the black panthers. So the black panthers on my hamstring.
Speaker 7: Okay, you try to show his black panther.
Speaker 2: Whoa you can make that joke.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Marvin's hands? We did a hand size. We had a combine hand size. Everybody was like had to have their hands measured. Marvin had the smallest hand size.
Speaker 6: You know, what talking about hands? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: If you ever see Gero, offensive coordinator for the Chargers, yeah, he has the biggest sausage fingers I've ever seen in my life. Once you see them, you can't unseeing. Okay, So when he's pointing on the board, I'm like, yo, what is that? Sorry? Gerro, love you, buddy.
Speaker 4: Does it?
Speaker 2: Does hand size really matter playing quarterback?
Speaker 6: Does it matter? I mean, I think it's something fun to pick at, like no pun intended. But Kenny Pickett, yeah, has smaller hands. He wears the gloves. I don't think it matters personally. I think you when we start talking about it, you can get into a quarterback's head. I had Kenny picking on the show Out of Pocket, and he was talking about how during the draft process he was actually doing extra stretching and exercises to help his hands grow and he thinks they, you know, they grew like a centimeter or something. So us talking about it definitely gets in the heads of quarterbacks. But I don't think it matters.
Speaker 2: Paul, you got the combine numbers for RG three.
Speaker 8: I sure do hand size. I got you nine and a half at the combine.
Speaker 6: Okay, what is that normally?
Speaker 8: Is that that's a middle to low okay, no offense, forty yard dash? I have you four four one four three nine. Yep, that's what good is that you were in the ninety eighth percentile of that draft.
Speaker 6: Pretty good though?
Speaker 2: Was a quarterback go backwards?
Speaker 6: So if you have, you know, good sized hands but not like overly large hands, and you got to be fast. So what else?
Speaker 8: It sounds like you were the number one in vertical jump, you're the number one in uh.
Speaker 6: Broad jumpy with the quarterbacks in that draft.
Speaker 2: Did you ever win a slam dunk contest?
Speaker 6: I did? Yeah, I did. Yeah. I think my vertical was thirty nine and a half and I asked him if I could do it again.
Speaker 3: Just one one more, one more.
Speaker 6: But for forty the forty was fun. That'll separate. No, the vertical. Yeah, you know you want to be up there with Jordan those guys, and.
Speaker 2: Well, your vertical's got to be better than Jordan's.
Speaker 6: And we'll see. That's what it all depends on.
Speaker 2: How But do you think you're reached? Mike's is forty or more?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Mike is, Like I think his vertical is like forty five. Michael Jordan's vertical was crazy.
Speaker 2: Michael B. Jordan's Michael B. Jordans, Yeah, are you?
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna do that for charity.
Speaker 6: Let's do a charity jump off between myself and Creed and uh, we'll make it happen.
Speaker 2: But you know, when you see Tyreek Hill and he wants to compete go against you know Noahlyle Like, there's different yeahing that right?
Speaker 6: I mean football speed track speed different, completely different. And I believe that if Tyreek was to race Noah allows in a fifty or a forty, he has a much better chance at winning because Noah's a builder, like he builds his race all the way to the end. Because when you run the hundred, it doesn't really matter how fast you get to the forty or the fifty. It's how long you can hold that speed and accelerate through. So I think it'll be a closer race than people anticipate. But I just I don't think that Tyreek can beat can be Noah and I like Tyrek.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if Noah wore a football uniform, yes, on a football field, correct, who would you take in a sixty in oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean in a sixty in a football uniform. I'm probably still taking Noah. But the question with the track athletes is can they catch? People say can they get hit? I think they can get hit. That's not a problem. I'm good friends with Justin Gallen. You know, he tried out for the NFL and the number one thing was running full speed and catching a football is different than just running full speed with your hands like this, you know, So that to me is the big difference. Could you sing Bold have played? You say if he was brought up to play one thousand, I mean what you saying is like six ' five. You know, you're thinking like Megatron type of athlete. When it comes to him. He has come out and said that he did not want to get hit, so that's why he wouldn't have played. But if he grew up in Coppers Code, Texas with me, you better believe he's playing football.
Speaker 2: He's RG three. He's out of pocket with RG three on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. You came up with a way for the Eagles to beat the Chiefs. Yes, and you have a way for the Chiefs to beat the Eagles.
Speaker 6: Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, which one do you want to start with? Let's start Eagles to upset the Chiefs. Okay, all right, so what happens on Sunday?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's a dominant running game if you look at the numbers, which I know we have some some numbers people out there. Anytime the Chiefs have gone against a quarterback that ran for more than five hundred yards this year, they've given up one hundred and forty five resting yards per game to that team and the Eagles. It's better for me to describe it on why the Eagles are so successful versus why the Chiefs are so successful. The Eagles have the big names, the guys like you know Sae Kwon Barkley, you know AJ Brown, you know Devonte Smith, you know Dallas Goddard. Dallas godd has got to go off because the Chiefs gave up the second amount of receptions in the most yards the tight ends in the NFL this past season. But you know how to key in on those guys, and yeah, you got to be stout up front. You got to control the edges. With the Chiefs, it's different because you don't know who's getting the ball. And it's no longer Travis Kelce has to have one hundred yards receiving and ten catches for them to win the game. So they got Hollywood Brown, they got Xavier Worthy, they got Jujus Smith Chuste, they got DeAndre Hopkins. They have Travis Kelce, they got Noah Gray. You just don't know how they're going to attack you in that way. And oh yeah, I didn't even mention the main guy, Patrick Mahomes, who's calling the shots. So it's almost like going to a basketball game at a tournament and one team has all five star players. You know what those guys are going to do. The other team is coming in there. They're doing bounce passes with the thumbs down, right, They're dribble penetrating to the right, cutting back and then throwing the bounce pass across the paint to get the easy layup. That's what the Chiefs are doing right now. They're playing nameless, faceless football. Whereas the Eagles they have to get the ball to aj Brown because if they don't, they're not going to win. But we've seen the Chiefs win with Travis Kelce having two catches for nine yards, So I think that that's the issue on offense for both teams. But I'll pick I'll pick the game already. I think I think the Chiefs win. I want to see greatness, I want to see history made, and I just think that Patrick Mahons is playing so unselfishly and being so patient right now. They're very hard to stop.
Speaker 2: Which team is more likely to have a blowout that they can blow the other team out?
Speaker 6: The Eagles for the exact reason I said they got the five star players. They got the best roster in all of football. Number one scoring defense, number one total defense. And that brings me to, like, my most exciting part of the game is this inverted wishbone formation that the Chiefs run. Because you'll see if they run with the two tight ends on the side of Mahomes and they got the running back right behind them, and they'll motion the tight end, put them both on the same side and do a bunch of stuff. They run wide zone, inside zone, dive, play action, pass, jet sweeps. They even put Kelsey at quarterback and had him read out like a quarterback counter downhill with Xavier Worthy, who scored a touchdown on that play during the playoffs. The cuter you allow Andy Reid to be, the harder your day is going to be. So if the Eagles can see that formation and shut it down quickly. I think it kind of slows Andy Reid down because he knows he doesn't have all the tricks in his bag anymore.
Speaker 2: What does Mahomes have to accomplish to surpass Tom Brady.
Speaker 6: When it's going to be the number of Super Bowls? No, he's just got to win. He's got to win on He's got to win on Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 2: He's passed Brady if he wins on Sunday's.
Speaker 6: Pasted Brady if he wins on Sunday. Yeah. And I've been saying this since they won the last Super Bowl. So I think there's this guy at ESPN, like really popular guy at ESPN, and he's been like he's been like on this going on this rave about if Mahomes wins, he's greater than Brady. And I'm like, bro, I was on that network.
Speaker 2: Wait, no, no, no, that.
Speaker 6: Not that guy.
Speaker 4: What not that guy?
Speaker 6: We're definitely not talking about that guy. We're talking about Steven A.
Speaker 2: Smith and he's not a football guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you know, I don't want to like, no one's takes are their takes, per se. But if someone's been saying it since last February that if Mahomes wins in three people maybe he did, I don't know, did you hear it?
Speaker 2: They wouldn't co op anything on no, no, no, Why are Mahomes his four super Bowls?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 5: Would be more valuable than Brady seven?
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean, I'm sure you guys have heard this argument before, but it's the whole Michael Jordan, Bill Russell situation. But I think it's not even the four because you can have recency bias and say, oh, well, he's won them more recently than Brady, So we're just gonna say he's the greatest because we want to have something to talk about. I don't think that's what it is. I think the fact that he'd be the first quarterback to three P I think that makes it to where, all right, these four are greater than the seven because he's done something that's never been done. And why do we say Brady's the goat? Because he's done something that's never been done before. So if you can do something that even Brady couldn't accomplish, that to me in seven years, four in seven years with a three P, Yeah, that makes you the goat, you're the greatest of all time. He's already the most talented we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And what you're saying is, if a star player wins four consecutive NBA championships, he's better than Michael Jordan. That had never happened before. Wait, I'm just going by what you're saying.
Speaker 6: Has that that has never happened?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: No, four and four and seven years.
Speaker 2: Let's say somebody a star unfortunate you know.
Speaker 6: What, I'm standing ten toes down on it. I would say, yeah, if a star player was able to win four championships in a row, do a four peak in seven years.
Speaker 4: In the NBA, Yeah, that that they would I'd say they'd be.
Speaker 6: Better than Jordan because unless they fall off the face of the earth, we know they're probably going to have another opportunity to get another one, or at least play for a long time. Brady had what ten years between between Super Bowls, but he's had three Hall of Fame careers. Oh he has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that Yeah, I mean, I'm with you. Have sustainability for great.
Speaker 6: Mom, I'm with you. If Patrick Mahomes wins, if they win the Super Bowl and then he decides.
Speaker 2: I'm retiring play baseball.
Speaker 6: I'd probably feel differently, right, I'd probably feel differently. But I don't think he's going anywhere. And uh, you know, knowing him and his trainer Bobby Stroop, like they're air to play just as long as Brady did. And I just I think he's just creating a generation of quarterbacks that are not going to win Super Bowls.
Speaker 2: I think he plays the position better than Tom does. He's not a better quarterback than Tom yet be like Mike was a better basketball player, you know, talent wise than Lebron. Lebron's got a better resume than they're similar Brady, And you know, we might look at Brady and Lebron the way we do Mike and Patrick.
Speaker 6: He's kind of proven because I because I agree, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: You want to take that, and then you want to or you're gonna give me credit.
Speaker 6: I will give you credit. We're looking at someone. Give credit for your takes. Give credit for your takes. It is documented, it's on Twitter, it's everywhere. It's it's how you might say that today RG three. It's it's how you say it. Though.
Speaker 2: Stephen A says it in a way that you think it is dramatic. Oh, I got you, Patrick, My homes is going to be if he's not already the best player. Tom Rady never one and three.
Speaker 6: He sounded like I apprecier on Sunday A good law there four in setting check out out of Pocket with RG three on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Wherever you get your podcast. Always great to have you on always you bring it every single time. And uh, good luck with your podcast. Thanks for joining us. Appreciate your brother RG three joining us. We'll talk to Bryce Young coming up here in a moment.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 4: So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 10: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich Coming up.
Speaker 2: We're playing a game. I'm told it's called the Super Bowl Downside Game. PAULI is your host? Would you tell me what the rules are? The Super Bowl downside Game.
Speaker 8: We're skewing negative on Thursday, Dan shocker for us the person coach or player or other. I guess who if they had a really bad day on Sunday, it would stick with them. The longest are the most fallout.
Speaker 2: Oh see, so the Super Bowl Downside guys. All of our in studio guests receive a fantastic gift bag items from so Nos, Tregger, Panini, King, Sawaiian and Rapid Radios. He's the Carolina Panthers quarterback, won a national championship at Alabama, won a Heisman, and he's joining us on behalf of Young nine Foundation. He is Bryce Young of the Carolina Panthers. Look at that big introduction there, big walk out. This is how we do it at a big TV production there, Bryce, This is what it's all about. Thanks for joining us here.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: What advice would you give you twelve months ago?
Speaker 11: Just to be consistent? Obviously a lot of ups and downs. This year was a different road, different path, different journey from me. But be consistent on the field, off the field, be consistent my habits and beliefs, and just trust process.
Speaker 2: But a lot of people bailed on you, like you were too short in September this season, and then all of a sudden, you seem to get taller in November, like like, but you didn't get taller, did you?
Speaker 4: I did not get taller, Okay.
Speaker 2: But people were bailing on you, And what was that feeling like that, you know, they didn't think you could be a starting quarterback.
Speaker 11: To be honest with you, I'm not someone who's super tapped into all the narratives, all the things going on.
Speaker 4: I try to control it. I can control focus on that.
Speaker 2: So but family members, yeah, like say something your buddies might say, Man, this guy killing you.
Speaker 11: I was blessed to have a I'm blessed to have a really good support system of good family.
Speaker 4: So I at least didn't get into my face. But uh, for me, again.
Speaker 11: It was just trying to trying to be consistent no matter. That's I think that's kind of life, especially in this profession. You're you know, people with you here one day will be lower the next day. It comes with the territory. So it's not really something I put a lot of stocking in how I'm.
Speaker 4: Perceived or looked at. I just try to focus on the football.
Speaker 2: I don't want to call it your benching week, but you're I'll call it a bye week for you like you Okay, let's make it positive here. Okay, so it was a bye week. What did you learn watching?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I really I just tried to play the game from the sideline at that point.
Speaker 4: You know, it's different obviously.
Speaker 2: So you wear a headset.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, where has sat here the calls.
Speaker 11: I'm still locked in all week, so it's different than being back there. But I just tried to look at you know, still play the game, still try to put myself through it, think what I'd be doing, and think in that scenario, you get a little bit different viewing perspective. But I still try to get as much out of it as I could.
Speaker 2: We thought it was a good week, just because sometimes you need to, you know, kind of see things and if you know somebody who's in there for you can tell you these things, or you can see it in a different way here, in a different way. It just seems like it it changed you a little bit there or I don't. I mean, we saw the results on the field, but I don't know what happened where it clicked. You saw the game differently, did the game slow down? Quarterbacks, talk about all of those things.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it was just great being able to have some time in the system. You know, it wasn't obviously you don't get the same amount of reps, you don't get the same kind of sort of progress on the bench, but being able to come back in and just have more time with the system. You know, obviously new staff this year. You know, we had to didn't have a lot of time at first, just to be able to play. Obviously, you study an off season, you get training camp and practice, but you know there's part of owning it in the games too. So when I was able to come back, I was grateful for the opportunity just to be able to to grow in the system, to you know, to make it my own, to feel comfortable, and you know, kind of as the season progressing, I got those reps on the field, I just felt more and more comfortable within the system.
Speaker 2: What was your welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 11: You know, honestly, mine was actually a little i'd say, like a little opposite when I went to my rookie year. It was actually it was at home a week two against the Saints. Obviously I was watching a film. I know who's gonna be on a team, but like first player, I look over and I see Tyround Matthew over there, and like for me, like just growing up, that was someone that I was like, like, that's the honey Badger.
Speaker 4: Like I watched that I watched the L s U tape like.
Speaker 11: A million times, and I was just like, for like the after like the first nap, so I was like, yo, like all right, lock back in, but I.
Speaker 2: Know he was there, but now you're seeing him there exactly.
Speaker 11: Like I'm seeing him move and I'm like, I don't watched this so many times on on film. So that was that was like a really cool, really cool moment. And uh yeah, it's still cool to to look across and and see people you know and you've watched growing up, and you know.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look and you see Jalen Carter on the other side, like, that's not pleasant.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had to do. I had to see that in college too, So yeah, that much two of you.
Speaker 2: Jalen Carter is two of you. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I have a ton of respect for Yeah, for those guys. It's it's really cool just also from a physical standpoint honestly for me, seeing guys like that and guys that are just like, it's cool being on that same field, even though like you know, side stature obviously is different. It's like for me, I get like a bit of like a I don't know what it is if it's like a confidence or like excite me about it, where it's like that's someone who's obviously super big and strong as someone who is this taarst and like I'm here too, and this where I'm supposed like this is where I'm supposed to be.
Speaker 4: This is there's something about that.
Speaker 2: But who do you study? Because I would think Drew Brees is probably the comp for you. Uh, Russell is a bigger but I don't know who else you were compared to. And and if you even talk to Drew Brees about playing, yeah, I have.
Speaker 11: He's he's uh, he was gracious enough, especially in the pre draft process we've had conversations. I've a that was someone that I've always had a ton of respect for watch But honestly, for me, I don't really think about size. I've been like relatives of the people around me. I've been this for like my whole life, so I don't really know what it's like to be taller.
Speaker 2: Than every But are you small?
Speaker 11: I mean, I don't know if that's something for me to answer. I don't. I don't like for me, I just know how to I've been myself and I know how to play football the way I know how to play football, so I've I love the game, and I love watching people and seeing things they do just from a quarterback standpoint. But I've never thought of it of you know everyone like yeah, I'm short for sure, like from our position.
Speaker 2: But I well, there was the picture of you walking across the parking lot with your book bag. It looks like it was first day of school. Did you see that photo?
Speaker 4: I did see that photo.
Speaker 2: Now you gotta you gotta laugh at that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh, yeah, no, I don't. I don't. I don't mind at all. Like all that stuff is.
Speaker 11: There's like I've seen some like hilarious stuff about like my eyes.
Speaker 4: It's fine, Like I don't. Again, I've I'm used to it. I embrace it.
Speaker 11: But I only know one way to play football, so I've never had to adjust. I've never had to like, Okay, dang, this is way different.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 11: This is just how I know how to play the game, how I know how to see it.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes we get caught up in a number of passes, batted down at the line of scrimmage. But then you see guys who were six four six ' five, who lead the league and getting you know, justin Herbert getting passes knocked down at the line of scrimmage. And I don't know if when you're with coach coach Saban College, they kind of create like windows for you to throw, whereas in the NFL maybe not as much. So I don't know, Like advice that Coach Saban gave you that you take today, you always remind yourself of, yeah, we've.
Speaker 11: Never talked about It's not really something you bring up or talk about, no matter. I've been in quarterback rooms with every you know, regardless of like the size, you don't ever bring up or talk about batted balls. Obviously, coach is giving a ton of great advice about a ton of great a ton of things on and off the field.
Speaker 2: Did he use the expression d's nuts?
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'm allowed.
Speaker 2: To you are Josh Jacobs told me about it ago.
Speaker 4: It may it may come up, coach.
Speaker 2: I asked coach about it too, though, Okay, what did he say?
Speaker 4: He said, yes, okay, yeah, all right, for sure, Yeah, you know it comes up.
Speaker 1: It isn't a good move.
Speaker 11: That's how you know, Like if it's like before practice like that, that'll be the time, like during pre practice and it.
Speaker 4: It'll just be out the blue.
Speaker 11: Do it like a straight face and you're all right cool, like we got a shot today.
Speaker 4: I can't do his voice, but he's like very uh.
Speaker 2: Because he's like Belicheck. He's it's like Bryce, how about these nuts?
Speaker 11: It's like every every time he does it, like you have a second of like, wait, did he just all right cool?
Speaker 4: Like this means it should be a pretty good practice, Like it's just not mess it up?
Speaker 2: He is Bryce Young, Carolina Panthers quarterback. Tell me about the Young nine Foundation that you're doing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, that's something that I'm super grateful for me and my scene at the foundation, and you know, we we focus on mental health and and just making sure that we can spread just just spread the importance of mental health and and kind of change the narrative, especially especially for the youth. I'm a I'm a big believer of the importance of mental health and whatever aspect and walk of life you're in and just growing up. You know, it's not something that's talked about a lot, and just we have a mission just to try to destigmatize it and do all we can to to help in especially for for.
Speaker 4: The younger generation.
Speaker 11: I think the earlier that you're able to talk about things and you're able to to have those conversations and awareness.
Speaker 4: About affected you.
Speaker 2: I mean to start this, is that you affected by this or somebody in your family.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Again, I think it's something that we all. We all have our own battles, our own struggles. You know, there's obviously different ranges, but I have a lot of family members that my my dam aunt, they're all in, uh, the mental health profession and yeah, and where my grandfather was as well, So we're all It's something that I was less kind of just to grow up around and be aware of.
Speaker 4: And you know, I've definitely had my own personal balles. Were all doing it.
Speaker 11: Something that I feel like the older you are, if it's something you don't talk about or something that you're not aware of it, it's harder to kind of change. But when you could get that on your mind earlier, at a younger age, I think it can really.
Speaker 4: Help throughout life.
Speaker 11: And also right now, just in the community, the outseeing passing of fires is something that we we've gone and and helped with and it's it's an ongoing struggle. There's a lot of people that are affected right now just in my community. And that's something also that we've kind of pivoted towards towards helping and providing care for.
Speaker 4: So you know, that's that's kind of another part of our journey in the.
Speaker 2: Well you have that PTSD where you know, these people going through what they went through are still going through and they're going to go through this for maybe the rest of their lives in California. That what it meant to you. And then you know, I always say when people say, oh, you know those people they can rebuild, and they said, you can rebuild a house, you can't rebuild a home.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot of things.
Speaker 11: I don't want to get into the ways of it, but there's a lot of things just community wise that you know, there's a lot of hoops to jump through. Obviously dealing with the logistics of things that a lot of families you know, have to you know, they have to juggle with. Now I'm trying to keep the community together, and a lot of financial things that a lot of people are struggling with. So again that's something that people are gonna be dealing with and they're gonna have really big it's gonna be big for years now. So just trying to have substantial support for the people and the victims of that is important.
Speaker 2: It's Bryce Young the Young nine Foundation. What did Patrick Mahomes say to you after you guys lost to them in Carolina?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know that I had talked to him a few times before. He was just telling me that he was, you know, he was happy for me that you know he was you know.
Speaker 2: Tell me not that happy for like he was happy that you didn't beat him.
Speaker 11: Right, Yeah, No, he was just happy for you know, the way I was playing and you know, turning things around, and that he was always room for me, which, you know, I that's someone you know obviously, it's it's my home.
Speaker 4: Someone that I may have the most respect for.
Speaker 11: Has always been super, super gracious, super nice the times I've talked to him.
Speaker 2: Did you trade jerseys?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 11: No, we didn't. Didn't didn't jersey swap. I'm bad at that though I'm a bad like I'm bad at ask. It never like crossed my mind. No, I just full transparency, Like I'm not really like a I don't really have I have people's jerseys.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'm like.
Speaker 11: A hang up people's jersey, Like I didn't grow up around a lot of sports memorabilia.
Speaker 4: I guess a lot of sports.
Speaker 11: So it's like I value the relationships I have with people in the league, and like I I have a lot of really close friends, a lot of people I'm really close with, Like I value that more than I think of it like a jersey or a piece of memorabiliy. So it just never it really crosses my mind.
Speaker 2: For it, whose jersey do you have that it might be surprised.
Speaker 4: Uh, you'd be surprised.
Speaker 2: No defensive players, right, No, I have.
Speaker 4: Some defensive players.
Speaker 2: You do, Yeah, a lot of the Eagles players.
Speaker 4: I don't have. Again, same thing. It just never cross in my mind of like get a jersey. Like I've talked like he's I've talked to him multiple times.
Speaker 11: He's really cool. Like so in my mind, like I like, oh, yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Like we bring out Honey Badger, Todd, Why didn't you reach out to Honey Badger and just say Bryce is kind of shy, doesn't.
Speaker 9: We can do that.
Speaker 3: He seems a little reserved.
Speaker 2: But would you put Honey Badger's jersey up in your bedroom?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: Shut out?
Speaker 1: My dog.
Speaker 4: He knows that's he knows that's my dog. I mean, there's no one's jersey I would put. I don't have any of my stuff up. I don't have.
Speaker 2: Anyone's is the hetman with you?
Speaker 4: I don't mind. My parents haven't.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah?
Speaker 4: Do they have it on?
Speaker 2: Like as soon as I walk in the house, I go.
Speaker 4: It's not in the No. I think it's in my dad's office.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, so it's that's a that's a ball or move there by your dad.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm not gonna He has a good little setup to where like if you zoom him, it's like in the.
Speaker 2: The Foundation Young and the Number nine Foundation. Bryce Young, thanks for joining us the second year. A lot of people rooting for you, A lot of people rooting for you. Well, take a break. We're gonna play a game. What is the game called, PAULI the Downside super Bowl Downside game that'll be after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Keeper's Heart a new and unique style of whiskey that combines the best of Irish and American whiskey, creating a smooth character of Irish whiskey and the bold flavors of American whiskeys. If you're a whiskey fan, you got to try it. Please drink responsibly, Keeper's heart, it's a bottle worth. Keep it all right, We're gonna play a game. By the way. I want to bring this to your attention. Miles Garrett was on The Rich Eisen Show and he was asked if he were well, what would it take for him to stay with the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 6: I said, I don't care about the money. I just want to win the championship. Now.
Speaker 12: Is it something that you know, maybe they end up keeping me or saying that they're not taking any offers. That's a possibility, but no, I just want people to know that it's not about me being a highest paid non quarterback, or me having a huge contract or any of that.
Speaker 6: I want to say no.
Speaker 12: At the end of the season, I played in the biggest games that I won at the end of my career, and I had a chance to display my talent and everything I had, and it all came to fruition. Everything that I dreamed and everything that I hoped for.
Speaker 2: So that's Miles Garrett on the Rich Eisen Show here in New Orleans. By the way, we've talked a lot about the NBA, the trade deadline later on today. Don't know if there's going to be any blockbusters because we have to redefine what blockbuster means after the Luca deal. I'll give you over under NBA regular season totals. If I gave you the MAVs over under, the Warriors over under, and the Lakers over under, I'll throw the Spurs in there as well. So Mavericks over under Marvin.
Speaker 3: For wins, Yes, fifty two and a half.
Speaker 2: Todd fifty and a half, Seaton fifty four and a half, Oh forty eight and a half, forty three and a half, dang overrated, over under over underrated. Warriors made the big deal. They got Jimmy Butler the over under Paul for the Warriors forty four and a half, Marvin forty one and a half, Todd forty three and a half, Seaton forty five and a half forty two and a half, the Lakers over under forty four and a half.
Speaker 7: Todd forty nine and a half, Marvin forty seven and a half, just one three forty six and.
Speaker 2: A half, forty eight and a half. You guys are dancing around it. No bloop bloops yet, and then I'll throw out the Spurs. Marvin Spurs over.
Speaker 6: Under is.
Speaker 7: Thirty seven and a half, Todd thirty nine and a half.
Speaker 2: Paul forty and a half.
Speaker 4: Bloop.
Speaker 2: I knew that he did it. Nobody knows the Spurs like you know you and Michelle Beadle, mister Spur. Nobody knows the Spurs like you know the Spurs.
Speaker 8: He'd be missus Spur.
Speaker 2: You're mister Spurs all right. Time to play the Super Bowl downside game, Paulie, will you give us the rules here? Please?
Speaker 8: It's the person coach or player, if and or other or other.
Speaker 6: There's a hint.
Speaker 8: If this person had a very bad day on Sunday, it would it would stretch for a long time. It'd be baggage for them for a long time.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there would be a downside to this. I'll go first, Okay.
Speaker 8: I think of Nick Sirianni has a bad fourth quarter and air quotes costs his team the game. He will never recover from it.
Speaker 2: Is it crazy to say if the Eagles get blown out. Nick Sirianni's job would be in jeopardy. It would be pending. I don't know. I just dawned on me when you said the downside game. If he loses the super Bowl, another super Bowl, even though that's that's a pretty high bar. If you go, well, did you get to the super Bowl? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Did you win?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I lost two of them, Seaton, the super Bowl, Downside Game, and your nominee.
Speaker 5: Is I think this whole game is going to end up being a referendum on Jalen Hurts, and I think if they lose, a lot of fingers are going to be pointed at him. I think if they win, he's going to have to have an unbelievable game to get any credit. But I think it's going to be tough for him either way.
Speaker 3: Todd, My first thought was, as.
Speaker 7: Well, Okay, Marvin Patrick Mahomes, if he has a bad super Bowl, he's out of the goat conversation.
Speaker 3: And that's two super Bowl losses and no.
Speaker 4: Three.
Speaker 2: Pet Well, I don't agree with what RG three said. If Mahomes three peats just because Brady didn't do that, that he would be considered the goat.
Speaker 7: Oh but I'm just talking about he's not in the goal. Yeah, conversation if he has a bad game too, No.
Speaker 2: The answer is Jalen Hurts because he has the most upside in the most downside. If he wins, all of a sudden, we look at him differently. If he loses, it's I don't know, can he win a big game here? Can you rely on him to win in a shootout or whatever it's going to be. You know, there's always going to be narratives here, and it feels like he's got the most upside in the most downside. Yes, Mark, But.
Speaker 7: Even if he does win the Super Bowl, do we put him in the elite quarterback category or do we just have him as.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know this whole elite thing. Eli was elite. No he's not. You can't spell elite without Eli. But he was not a quarterback.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's gonna be a million reasons why you can point to Jalen Hurts and say, see not him, though not him, Well, it's really Saquon carried them is really Look at all the wide receivers that he's got, Look at all the options that he's got to throw to AJ Brown. I gotta throw the divide him. I'm gonna do it here. He's surrounded by so many good players that it's easy to say, but it wasn't him that did it. Only if it's the last drive of the game, definitely that's it. He's going to have to have a miraculous moment something where it was like, dang, that's a hell of a play.
Speaker 6: He just made it.
Speaker 8: Yes, Yes, Paulie, here's a bonus for the Super Bowl fallout game, downside game. What if Tom Brady lays an egg on Sunday, like a big egg on Sunday. This is very early in your broadcasting career to host a super.
Speaker 2: Bowl, to call a super Bowl. But how's he lay an egg?
Speaker 8: Fangs are out the people who critique this for a living, and we've talked about it was mentioned before that he doesn't stay with us forever and he becomes really involved with the Raiders, officially involved with the Raiders.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I just think of the downside game, But I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how a broadcaster can really stand out as having a bad game, unless, like the play by play guy may make a mistake, you know, game winner and you know calls out the wrong name or whatever it might be. But I don't know if. I mean, Tom is pretty good, you know down the middle of the street. It doesn't color outside the lines too much. Yes, Tom, Well, just.
Speaker 3: The way we all got excited when Romo was guessing everything that was going to happen beforehand. I know that's not necessarily Brady's style, but if he's like predicting what's going to happen a lot of the next play and he keeps getting it all wrong, and it gets a little messy. They're going to do this here, and they do the exact opposite several times if someone's looking to pick it.
Speaker 2: And I don't think Tom does that. I mean, that's Romo's thing. And I think we're we're almost past that fact of oh I got it wrong. It's just I don't know, Jemmy, and they'll be wrong right and passing and they run it right up the middle. You know. I don't think we go, oh my god, he's terrible. Yeah.
Speaker 5: See, I think over the season he's got a lot better Tom Brady. I think earlier in the season it was a little tougher. I think as he's gone on and done more games, you get more reps, you learn a little bit more. I think the thing he struggles with is he can't pick which thing to point out to the audience. He knows too much and he's just like, which is the one thing I'm supposed to focus on? And he tries to get four things in when there's time for one.
Speaker 2: And this is what Herbstreet does so well when he sees a play to tell you what happened in the play immediately Collins were I mean, that's what That's amazing where they go, Okay, you see what they were doing here. They were showing blitz, but they came this way and then they came up the middle and then they you know, they had covered too and they know this right away. And it's great advice that Seton just pointed out. Tom needs to find that thing and then tell me about that thing instead of trying to get three things in. Now you water down the one thing that you really wanted to tell people about. All righty, could Kendrick Lamar have a bad day? I mean, no matter what to be better than Drake Final Hour on this Thursday, Marv Todd, Seaton, Paulie Yours truly