Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow, the Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler starts.
Speaker 3: Right now in the air eywhere the fifth Hour with me, Ben Mahlor and Danny g Radio Happy NFL Sunday.
Speaker 1: This is your pre pre pre game show, right is that we're calling us standing the pre pre pre pregame show.
Speaker 4: It's the pre game to the pre game.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like you get up early, listen to the show or listen to it whenever you want, and then watch football all day long. Now we will get to the mailbag in a minute, which is the star of the show. On our final fifth Hour for the month of September. Here as this week we flip over to October. This is the last NFL weekend in September, and I should be God willing, I will be at the Chiefs Charger game later today at SOFI stadium in La La Land, and then I'll be watching all the other games on my computer and my phone and all that fussing around with that.
Speaker 5: Is there any way possible that you can make both teams lose?
Speaker 1: Well, you would want to, that's a good question. You're probably not going to catch the Chiefs at one and two.
Speaker 5: But the Chargers, Yeah, the Chargers are not exactly a Jugger not. Yeah, they obviously they obviously have a better coach now, but the talent level is just okay on their team.
Speaker 1: And they have injuries are starting to pile up for the Chargers. So yeah, you probably want You assume the Chiefs are going to win the division, so you want them to win, and then as long as the Raiders take care of business against the Browns, then they'll get back to five hundred. Boy, they blew such a chance last week.
Speaker 4: Danny, I know, I know.
Speaker 5: We called it though, and I was talking about how they play down to the competition, and you mentioned, coming off that really big win against the Ravens that they might come out flat, and unfortunately they listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: It was terrible and winnable game. Today they play the Broncos in Denver, next week. But the Broncos are not invincible. They're not particularly a good team with bo Nicks, I don't think, although I like them today with the points if you watch the TV show. But these are these are golden opportunities, Like later on you got the two games with the Chiefs. You're gonna have to play Tampa, which is a fringe playoff team, to play the Falcons, which is going to be a playoff contender, So you gotta win these games.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I mean I knew how bad Max Crosby was hurt when I watched him try to come off the line.
Speaker 4: There was like no explosion.
Speaker 5: He was kind of standing around, maybe waiting for an opening to get into the quarterback, which wasn't happening because that O line suddenly woke up and the whole the whole team actually behind Andy Dalton looked like a playoff team all.
Speaker 4: Of a sudden.
Speaker 5: So I was just like most Raider fans, like why why did teams have to wake up against us?
Speaker 4: It happened so much in my lifetime.
Speaker 1: Well, Carolina looked like a real It looked good.
Speaker 5: See those darts. This is going to be a long day. And then Minshew came back with that fifty four yard dime of his own and they score a touchdown even at up seven to seven, and I was like, all right, well, it'll be a dog fight. And the defense played down to the level of the offense, which wasn't clicking after that touchdown and no run game. The O line is in tatters right now because of injuries, and they're trying to work some rookies in and looks like that DJ Glaze guy and the Powers Johnson dude are both really good, but their rookies. The Raiders are going to have to have a patched up O line try to get some remnants of a run game going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have no running game.
Speaker 4: No run game whatsoever.
Speaker 5: And that Luke Keetzi guy who sucked in Chicago as an OC is now the OC of the Raiders. On first and second down, he was just running the ball up the middle for zero yards. It's just super frustrating. You have those weapons on that offense and that's the play calling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hello, it's not working. You might want to do something else before I forget. I wanted to mention this yesterday. A couple of things from yesterday. We'll get to the mailbag. But last Sunday, I was at the Ram forty nine er game at so Far.
Speaker 4: Brought him some luck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I picked the forty nine ers on the TV show, But yeah I didn't. I didn't think the Rams had any chance. I was literally stunt. I was there and I was like, it was forty yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: On the podcast you said you could probably leave at halftime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought again would be over. And the forty nine ers came out. They scored early. They looked like the same old forty nine ers marching down the field. I think they had I think it was like fourteen early points for the Niners, and I'm like, all right, this is to be a blowout. And I still don't quite understand how the Rams won that game without several offensive linemen, their top two receivers, several defensive starters who didn't play. That is a stunner of stunners based on what should have happened and what actually happened. That's why they play the games, Danny. I heard that somewhere along the way, but on my way to the game, I had parking in the red lot at so Far, so it's general parking. Yeah, I followed the ways traffic. Yeah, and you know, I'm just whatever it says. It said red parking lot. So I followed. So I got there very early to get there to watch the other games. So it's it's you know, it's early in the morning, several hours before the game. But there's already a few cars there. So I get up to the gate, following the directions, and the guy at the gates is, well, you're in the wrong lane. I said, okay. He says, so you're gonna have to make a U turn. You're gonna have to go around all these cars and then make a right and then go down several entrances and then go in the other entrance. So say, okay, but I if you move that orange cone, which is to my right, I can go right there and then I'm where I need to be. He said, yeah, but I'm not allowed to do that. I said, but it's literally right there. It'll take you one second. It's going to cost me thirty minutes of my life and it'll take you one second. And who's going to complain. We're just not allowed to touch the cone, sir. We can't touch the cones. Oh come on, well, I said, well, what if I get out of the car. What if I I'm the one doing it. I said, well, you're not allowed to do that either. You have to stay in your car. The cars around here, I said, well, there's not many cars. It'll take one second. I promise, I'll put the cone back. And now these guys were complete douchebags, and so I had to get out of the parking lot. You know, it's like they were following their superiors orders, like the Nuremberg Defense or something like that. I just so annoying. I say, God forbid you move, Like, what's gonna happen, Danny? If they moved the cone? Is that gonna everything's going to fall apart? A house of cards? Is that what's going to happen?
Speaker 5: They're like some bouncers that we've fed to deal with when we were younger.
Speaker 4: Just stop it.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you wanted to take that guy's rapid radio and shove it up his ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really annoying. Eventually I got where I needed to go, but it did take about half an hour of my time, and it literally would have been less than a minute, maybe thirty seconds, and the guy could have moved the cone. I would have gone through, I would have been where I needed to go, and that put me in a bad mood. Then after the Ram game, I was like, well, I lost the bet, but I was happy the Rams won because at least they have a chance a decent season this year. Beating the forty nine ers is a big win for them.
Speaker 4: Please tell me you found that guy and ran over his cone.
Speaker 1: Well, I wanted to, but I'm leaving Sofi Stadium and it's in the hood in Inglewood. So rategy always is to avoid where the traffic is. So I go into the heart of Englewood. I don't even know where I'm going. I just go away from the traffic when I leave Sofi State. Yeah, I'm like, I'll figure out. I'll just turn on the traffic app. I'll go as far as I can go, and then I'll.
Speaker 5: Turn on the app and it'll take you some magical alternative route alternate route exactly.
Speaker 1: So I'm doing that and I'm cruising down. I don't even know where I am. I'm on French Shaw Boulevard in LA and on my way driving through, I saw a couple of things that can only see on Cretenshaw frendshow Boulevard. The first was a black gentleman who was dressed as a clown. He was panhandling. While juggling in between green lights, he would run out hand to God, like, what was that old Fox show with the Wayan.
Speaker 4: Brothers, Uh, you know, oh yeah in living color?
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was like, it wasn't one of the Wayan brothers, like a clown on the show. If I remember, Maybe I'm making that up. I don't know.
Speaker 4: No, no, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like it was like a crappy clown costume. The guy probably found a goodwill and he's standing there with you know, he had the red nose on the funny shoes and he's jruggling, and then he times it perfectly when the signals about to change, and then he takes a bow and takes his clown hat off and asks for money.
Speaker 4: It was nice man. At least he's working for tips.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not ripping the guy.
Speaker 5: I just yeah, no, I know, I'm saying in general, though we see panhandlers and they're not doing anything to entertain us.
Speaker 1: It was I wish I had recorded it with my phone. So then I keep going down Crenshaw, I get the intersection of Crenshaw and Adams and about a block before that.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, that's a great area.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wonderful part of LA. So there's a homeless encampment to my right. I'm driving down Crenshaw right right near Adams, and hand to God, Danny, I'm not making this up. I thought this is I mean, this is next level. So there's a couple of tents. It's like a small commune of homeless people. And there was a ten foot regulation basketball hoop that was in the middle of this homeless encampment that was on the side of Crenshaw Boulevard. And there was an older dude who was playing hoops and were shooting like he was Steph Curry. He had pants on, his shirt off. And I have so many questions about this, like where did they find it, how did they get it there? How is that allowed? I mean, don't people have to, you know, drive in that part of the street. It's just it was wild.
Speaker 5: If you wanted to pull over and play a pickup game, was that possible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could I play a game of pag or horse or something like that. What you've been down for that, you know?
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: It was wild. It really was next level. But eventually I made it. Actually, you went back to the studio and got ready for the show at the mother Ship.
Speaker 5: So I was there, Boy, I was there all day. Did it turn out being a faster way out of Inglewood?
Speaker 1: Well, I'll never know. In my head, it was faster. Yeah, that's really all that matters, you know, that's all that matters.
Speaker 4: It definitely was a more entertaining drive.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I was for entertainment value. I think I'll be doing that every time I go to Sofi Stadium. It is much more entertaining than just going to the four or five freeway.
Speaker 5: And this time, though, you'll have your gym bag ready with your basketball.
Speaker 1: My basketball shoes. Just get one on one. All right, Let's get to the mail bag. The mail bag.
Speaker 6: It's the bag, this mail bag, all.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you, ohio al. These are actual questions by actual fans of the show that have sent me an email and Danny an email. Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. All letters, no numbers. It's real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. My first one is jak jk is from somewhere in South Carolina. He says, ben I heard we heard a new voice on your show. This week, Eddie was away, Martin Weiss was on the show. How was it breaking in another new update anchor? All Right, first of all, he's not new, right, he's just new on our show. How long has Martin been at Fox Sports.
Speaker 4: Rad He's been Yeah, probably three years.
Speaker 1: Has it been three years?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think so because he was doing a weekend show back when I was producing some weekend shows.
Speaker 4: That was three years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I didn't realize.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's a co He was a part time he still is a part time co host on the weekends. He has a Saturday show with VJ.
Speaker 4: Husky who Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he was in there. And to answer your question, JKA, it's fine. Unlike a lot of the guys that step in that chair and they think it's open mic night at chuckles a comedy call. Martin was professional job. He didn't try to take over the show. And so, yeah, I have no no complaints. He seemed like he was actually happy.
Speaker 6: To be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, he's a he's yeah, he's a nice dude.
Speaker 1: Some of the people that fill in Danny, oh my god, I'm gonna work over Oh boy, it's so bad. They complained, and he was. He seemed happy.
Speaker 4: You know, he's any hustles.
Speaker 5: He started doing some updates so that he can make some extra money and be on the network a little bit more. Yeah, dudes like that, they're going to be happy to have the work, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Mike in h He did not say parts unknown. He says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I heard a caller on your show, Ben this week who say that you who said you've gone soft on Brian Finley because you went to his wedding. Danny, do you agree with that? And if you've heard the show and Ben, have you lost your edge?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: Is it true that you don't torture friendly as much on the air. That's something I'm not aware of.
Speaker 1: Well, I what I noticed is when he's there, he makes it all about him. So if I spend my time back, that's what he wants because it's all about him.
Speaker 4: Got you. So it's more avoidance than it is you being soft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an editorial decision. I'm like, well, I really I don't want to spend all of the show just doing this, and so I limit it. But I don't think I've lost my edge. It's not going to I went to his wedding, and it's not that at all.
Speaker 5: It's just no, because even in that story you were talking some smack about him.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, exactly. So I'm surprised I ended up getting an invite to the event. I am so. Jack and Main writes and he says, Hey, Bendon, Danny, how many of these do you have lying around your homes? He says, Americans talking about hose Well, if you want. He says, Americans are holding on He sent me a news story here. Jack says, Americans are holding on to twenty seven billion dollars of wasted money in gift cards.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what ends up happening with me is we'll use the gift card and then there'll be a little money left on it, and then we'll forget about it.
Speaker 4: And that's what that industry is hoping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it happens all the time. Well, there's a barbecue restaurant that get gift cards at Costco, and we'll go there, we'll use the gift card and they'll be like maybe five or ten bucks left on it, and we'll forget about it and never never use that.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty good, I'm pretty good about using the gift card all the way through.
Speaker 4: But it takes a while.
Speaker 5: Like the second time I need to use the gift card for the balance, they'll be like a year in between the first time I used it. I had a Red Robin gift card. It was over a year for me to use the rest of the balance. But man, that sandwich hit when I finally used it.
Speaker 1: May main that's good. Yeah, yeah, I don't forget about it. I have a we have like a ziplock bag filled with gift cards, like but oh you know.
Speaker 4: We have a zip block bag that's filled with taco bell sauce.
Speaker 1: Well but see, uh uh. For years, over the holidays, people say, oh, here's a gift card Starbucks or some barbecue place or whatever. And so we'll just throw him in the bag. What's in the bag, and we you know, every once in a while we'll go in there and start pulling stuff out. It's like, all right, spin the wheel. It's like roulette, where we're gonna eat today? What's in the bag? You know that kind of thing. Yeah, all right, Reggie and Detroit writes, and he says, our guys is a couple of radio professionals. I wanted to know your opinion, I don't know for professionals, Reggie says, I want to know your opinion on the Alex Jones story. Uh. Yeah, so there's a story. I don't know if you saw Danny. I don't. I don't think this has been confirmed yet, but supposedly, Uh, he's going to be forced to dismayntle his his info Wars because of the one billion dollar debt that he has. I don't know, Regy, I don't know much about the story. Oh, the liquidating, Yeah, I thought he had tried to move everything to somebody else's name, so he didn't technically own that. I don't know if the judge is or the court figured that out. They probably did. It's kind of obvious. So yeah, I don't don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how the laws are and all that stuff. I would think he's going to work somewhere, whether it's his place Info Wars, if that goes out of business, he'll still do something right. I would think he's in the meeting.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing here that a US bankruptcy judge in Houston this past Tuesday said that he will approve the auctions that start in November.
Speaker 1: Oh, really sitting an auction off all the stuff.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's what this article saying.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, Yeah, I don't know much much about it. I think they're still around for now though, right, they're still operating.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe maybe he could find a way to circumvent this from happening.
Speaker 4: We will find out.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Fred the Scientist writes in from New Mexican, New Mexico. He says, good morning, Ben and Danny saw this story. I want to know your perspective on it. And he then points out that apparently the surface of Mars, part of it, appears to be covered in what they think is rocket fuel.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: I thought you were going to say chocolate. That would be awesome, I know, especially for my family, the garat Delli's.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would have went up there and started mining the planet.
Speaker 1: So Fred the Scientist, Yeah, I don't. I'm I'm not a scientist. This is the first I've heard of it. But I would imagine everything that's here on Earth is probably on all the other planets, right, because we're made up of space dust, and we're made up a crap that supposedly blew up. And if you believe what I read when I was a kid, and everything kind of threw together and there was the Big Bang or some kind of massive event, and that's how we ended up where we are. And who knows, maybe we're all living in a simulation. I don't know, but yeah, I also Fred, I did read a story and for you Danny as well, that they said that all of the the things we use, you know, they do a lot of slave labor to make our cell phones and our computers and all that the materials in there. They have to go to certain parts and dig deep into the earth to get those things. That a lot of that stuff they can get on Mars, and they think, you know, it might be available there and so they wouldn't have to take apart this plan. But the problem is getting there and then getting this stuff back safely is a problem. So anyway, Dan in Albuquerque on the mailbag says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I want to know how many how many hours a day do you gentlemen spend getting ready for your respective shows.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, I don't think. I don't think that process ever stops. That's one thing people don't realize about radio is we are searching through the Internet and different websites and checking our phones pretty much NonStop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're always futzing around trying to find something that would be good talk radio, right, Danny, it's all about good talk radio.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, we don't want to you don't want to miss anything because things will date themselves very quickly most of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of what we do has a very short shelf life. Unfortunately it's not long form timeless like uh PI a podcast where Joe Rogan interviews an author. M Well, that probably will have a pretty long shelf life if they're just talking about a book. But a radio show, we're talking about whatever's going on that day, right, Play the hits, mom, Man, play the hits. It's all about what's going on right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And if, for instance, Justin Jefferson comes out with a quote about a defensive back that was talking shit and he says he's just going to do his thing and dance the gritty all over this guy, you know, we need to talk about that right as pretty much as it's happening, because he's talking about his matchup that's happening today. We couldn't get on the air Monday and say, oh, see that story last Thursday. Dang, nobody wants to hear old shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it's true. You only have about twenty four hours, maybe not even that long, depending on what the story is, and it's just it's over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, once in a while, it doesn't matter if we do it on the CNR show Monday or we do it on Friday, because it's a story where it could be on whatever day you want it to be on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those are wonderful, but they're usually softer stories, like kicker stories type things, right, Danny, they're not meating potato stuff you got to get to right away, or we say meating potatoes like breaking down a quote from Justin Jefferson is meeting potatoes. But in our world, it is in our little world, our little bubble that we live in, it is absolutely meat and potatoes. It is Mo from Ohio Rights and he says, hey, Ben, is there anything new on the next malth of Meet and Read you have been teasing on your podcast? Well, Moe, and I know JT the wingman, who I assume, I don't assume anything, but he's been to the last three, so he might show up to that one now, there is something in the works. Nothing to announce, mo, but I hope to have something I can announce in the next maybe as soon as the next couple of weeks. So i'll let you know. I'll let you know as soon as I know for sure, I'll let you know. Alf from an undisclosed location, says Ben and Danny, is there an investigative wing over at the Peacock. I only ask because I have a friend who spent an entire weekend clicking on last week's episode of Benny Versus the Penny, and I feel like he's about to be one of beyond one of those catchup predator shows again asking for a friend. Well, God bless you, Alf and your friend wink wink. But yeah, as far as I know, you're.
Speaker 4: Good, why don't you take a seat. I made someies blank my blank and blank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and so many of you have sent me messages, and I smile at all of our friends. Sarah from Minnesota, she but she's got a beautiful, beautiful photo she took of her home there lake view photo at her cabin in northern Minnesota. How lucky are you, Sarah? I have that beautiful cabin in God's Country there in northern Minnesota, and she had the TV show right there with that beautiful mosaic in the background, just just absolutely awesome. So that was that was really cool. What else do we have here? Let's do We'll do a couple more Mike from Los Angeles of Anaheim slash Fullerton, Hi, Ben and Raider. G says, I'm sorry to do this, Danny G, but I'd like to take back my apology from last week after the Raiders got steamrolled by the Red Rifle Andy Dalton. I'm back and wanting. Antonio appears to be the coach for a long long time.
Speaker 4: He waivers on this weekly Yeah, he.
Speaker 1: Says, I don't know about the Benny Hill theme. By the way, for the show, I understand you had to replace the puff Daddy song because he owned over the legal limit of baby oil or something, but there has to be a better song to replace the Benny Hill song.
Speaker 4: Ah, you had to take out the Benjamin song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it says, Wow, that.
Speaker 4: Was a staple, he says.
Speaker 1: If you ask nicely, Dan G could come up with something great. Yeah, so we took that off the show. The funniest thing about that and you'll completely understand this. So we talked about on the show. We're like, all right, well, we can't do this anymore.
Speaker 4: People were complaining, the really complaining. Oh my goodness, come on.
Speaker 1: I didn't care, but people were complaining. So I said, Eddie. Eddie's like, what happened to the song? And I said, we had to get rid of the song? And he had no idea, Eddie World, Eddie Land.
Speaker 5: So you can have told like a baby oil joke and it would have completely went over his head and no idea.
Speaker 1: It's wild. He had no idea that we had to get rid of the song because it was a diddy so and then eventually we did. We were going back and forth and eventually he put two and two together and he's like, ah, I just keep playing it. I wouldn't keep playing it, but they know whatever. I don't care. You know how I feel about the music, Danny. I love music, But when it comes to talk radio, what is my position on music, Danny?
Speaker 4: People don't tune in for the music exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: That's my thing wrong again, right to find I went through all of the Ben songs.
Speaker 5: And so this is going to be your standard music as you get set. Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, we'll find a song with Ben in it, and then the only other song with Ben in it that's good is Benny and the Jets. But that's about a chick.
Speaker 4: Oh. I thought you were going to say, Michael Jackson, Ben.
Speaker 1: No, that's a man.
Speaker 4: You want to talk about soft.
Speaker 1: Isn't that about a rat or something like that?
Speaker 4: It's about a squirrel.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's there's nothing. Yeah, yes, there's nothing, nothing good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think I think you're just going to have to find something that sounds cool and fits your vibe versus something with your name in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well if you find anything. See there was one guys said, any chance that you were in the running to replace Broussard on the Rob Parker Odd Couple.
Speaker 4: Not really.
Speaker 1: I mean I had talked to Rob a few times, but I like what I'm doing and I have my own, my own gig and all that. But I love Rob and I would you know, I'd do absolutely work with Rob, but they'd have to pay me a lot of money. And Danny, you think that's in my man? You think that's in the cards, my man? Probably not right, Yeah, probably not, man, I don't need to hear about that, my man. All right, Danny, it's Sunday, anything. You'll be back tomorrow with the.
Speaker 5: Yeah first today hopefully the greatness of the Raiders and not the letdown of the Raiders. And tomorrow afternoon be back on with Covino and Rich from two to four pm on the West Side, and that is five to seven pm.
Speaker 4: And beautiful Albany, New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiful, and I will be I'll beat the Charger game today with the four with the Chiefs, and then tonight all night overnight back in the Mothership in beautiful Sherman Oaks, where the cockroaches and the size of your foot.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Make sure to take a short cut home away from Sofi today.
Speaker 1: I got to drive down Crunshaw every day, man, I want to see this. That's where the action is, man, That's where where the people watching is next to them. Anyway, have a great day. We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 4: Austa pasta gotta murder. I gotta go