Speaker 1: So I don't think I told you guys the story about alex Earle. It was on social media, but I'll give you context and if you don't know the story, if you don't know alps Orla. She's a young I think twenty four year old influencer on TikTok and Instagram and I'm sure snap and YouTube, and she and I have texted in the past, just briefly via Instagram, not about anything. She asked me a question one time, then I asked her a question one time, and then I gave her advice about something, and then she asked me if i'd do something work wise with her, which I did, and then I said, if I'm in Miami, let's get together.
Speaker 2: And we were supposed to go to dinner.
Speaker 1: And I made a reservation at Carbone because I thought like, that's first I made a reservation at like this other place. But I feel like the people really were trying to get us in there and wanted sort of that keyr about it. So I then aborted and I was like, let me just call Carbone, and I thought, like that's bougie.
Speaker 2: And she wrecks.
Speaker 1: Some would like that because I don't know if I thought they I think I thought they were both coming together. I needed the reservation for them both to come together. I don't know how often they are together. I don't know, you know what I mean, if they have independent lives, it seems on social media like they're together. Grabston is a Miami Dolphins player, but I guess now he's moving to Texas. So I booked Carbone and we confirmed it.
Speaker 2: I confirmed.
Speaker 1: She asked me if I wanted to do this charity thing of hers that I couldn't do, and then we confirmed thh which was Thursday.
Speaker 2: And I was tired that day. I remember I don't think.
Speaker 1: I think I'd gotten a massage maybe, and I was like a little leg zombie. And so I go to Carbone and I know the guy there, and I sat in this big gave me this gorgeous giant booth and I sat down, and once I was settled, I texted her to say, you know, main room, far corner booth, and my phone started ringing and it was her, which it doesn't seem it seems atypical. And she was like, oh my god, my heart is in my stomach. I'm dying right now. No, She's like, is it wait, it's is it tonight. It's tonight, that's what she said. I was like, oh my god, and she's like, my heart is in my stomach right now, I'm dying. And I said okay, and she's like, wait, do I like run and come there? But like I could tell she, you know, was home and didn't want to and that's jarring, and like now it's an obligation. And so I was just like, it's okay, because I mean, it is okay. It's so it's okay, and then it has.
Speaker 2: To be okay. It happened and people make mistakes.
Speaker 1: So I'm sitting now in Carbone by myself in this big booth and it's sat it's Thursday night, and it's Thursday night, you know, high season Miami, in the main room, in the best booth. And I'm also aware that we're at the right time, like a good time. So I'm taking up a big booth and you know, parbones On he's the reservation. So I'm taking up like the biggest booth. And they see Fat Joe with a group at the other big booth like this, and I'm like, oh my god, and so.
Speaker 2: I go up to the front and I'm gonna leave. I text my driver, I just don't leave.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm right out front, and I don't have another plan, and I'm in Miami and I'm dressed, and so I'm like, now what am I going to do? And I could have gone somewhere else. I called another friend or the can you come here now? It's just have dinner with someone on Monday, and they're like I can, I'm already doing something. Someone else was like, I'm a dinner. And then I saw someone I knew walk into the next room, but like he was.
Speaker 2: With a group.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be with a group I don't know. So I was like, what am I gonna do? And I really was like kind of a loser. I didn't have another plan, you know, And so I said, okay, so what am I gonna do. I'm gonna exercise, like going to exercise discomfort, which I think is very important that we don't just like always do the easy thing. We exercise being uncomfortable in a situation. And so I said, okay, it wasn't like writhing in pain. I just was like, okay, this is awkward. So I said, I went up to the front I'm like, I'm really sorry I took up a table because she's not coming.
Speaker 2: I was look embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I felt like a loser in front of them too, you know, and okay, got stood up. I mean, you know, so for anybody who later was like criticizing that I talked about it or posted about it, which wasn't most people like, this is what happened. I mean, So I say that he goes Bethany, we always have a table for you, which was very kind.
Speaker 2: So I go back to I'm like, I guess I'll stay. So I go back to my table.
Speaker 1: And you could tell that the waiter now that so badly crying badly. It wasn't, you know, But I mean, they don't know if it's a man who stood me up. Right, No one at the restaurant knows if it's a man who stood me up. So you servers as a waiter and a certain again someone who brings the service food, and they're both being so nice, and one of them like comes and he's they're bringing me a thousand free things, like I don't need free things. It's a separate rant. We talked about it because like I was trying to be healthy and not be a dumpster. But nevertheless, it was all coming over. It's why in my post I was like, I'm gonna try to eat healthy and then like the RIGATONI was coming and everything was coming.
Speaker 2: They were so nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, they will be gaining five hundred dollars of food for like one hundred and something of food, but and they made a whole show of it, which was great for me posting for you guys, but for me it was also funny. It was like, oh my god, now I'm more embarrassed, like we're going deeper into this bit.
Speaker 2: They were so nice, and.
Speaker 1: They put security on my table because a lot of people when I'm alone and I want to get into that too. I want to talk about somebody who approached the other day and I've been thinking about it.
Speaker 2: It's been bothering me the way I handled it.
Speaker 1: So they put security on my table so people wouldn't keep coming up and city down because people slide in take pictures.
Speaker 2: And I love you, guys, I really do.
Speaker 1: I adore you, and I love when I run into and we talk about things, and I'll try Sometimes it's jarring when like someone comes into your personal space. It scares you like, I can't explain it. It's just because it's not what normal people are doing meeting. It's not what my friends are doing. It's not what business people are doing. It's just what like fans are doing. So meaning, if I knew someone from my neighborhood or from the entertainment industry and stand next to the table to say hi, like good to see you, they wouldn't slide in next to me like behind the table, which happens because people see an opening and they just are like, wait, let me talk to you. I have a business because they think that this is the big thing that they want to talk about, which I totally get, but they don't understand how many times in a day that this happens and no one wants to hear successful, well known people complain about that. I get that I'm just saying sitting in a booth and then having people like slide in and be like Hi, oh my god, so I have to tell you about this. My mother is just like your mother and she's insane, And I'm like, oh, okay, it might not even be something I want to think about right now. I might not want to talk about my divorce right now because I did a podcast on my divorce, which was extremely difficult, or a podcast on death, which in that moment I wanted to share with you, and I mustered it up and I was prepared and I cried. But like out to dinner maybe on a Thursday, you don't know what I'm going through. I might not want to talk about my mother's death. Right then a broad stroke like you helped me so much with my mom's death.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful, and I want to connect with you on it. But like sometimes someone comes in and they're like, wow, what you said about your mom, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Or wait the divorce. You talked about your schedule and how do you manage to like things that might trigger that I don't necessarily want to go through at that time. So they put somebody on the table. And the reason I stayed by myself is because I wanted to do it for you too.
Speaker 2: Like I know a.
Speaker 1: Lot of you that I get messages from here or on social media are alone or lonely. By the way, I've been alone. Someone said to me solitude. I think I've read that solitude is like having four drinks a day as far.
Speaker 2: As lack of healthiness.
Speaker 1: So I'm lucky I have a lot of people around my house that work with me, because if it was just on my own life. You know, I'm with my daughter a lot, that she has her friends, and she's at school and she has practiced.
Speaker 2: I'm alone a lot.
Speaker 1: So so I know that a lot of you are alone a lot too. And I know that a lot of you fe like you have nobody and you have no friends, and you don't want to meet someone, and you don't want to date, and you're a free and you just don't even want the aggravation.
Speaker 2: And I know that a lot of you get.
Speaker 1: Some parasocial connectivity through social media. Myself as well. I never understood it. I understand it now. So I also understand that you want to get dressed and look cute and like go somewhere and do something, and like how shackling, just like you can't go somewhere do something if you don't have someone to go somewhere and do something with. And so like I stayed at the table to be like I'm dressed, I'm at Carbone.
Speaker 2: People would die to come here. They don't have it all over the world.
Speaker 1: People would like literally accept a coach plane ticket to just come to have dinner at Carbone and try it, and I'm gonna run out of here because like I got you know, stood up by accident, by the way, by accident, or because someone forgot about the dinner. So I was like, no, I'm going to do it because I want you to go out to dinner. I want you to get dressed and be like it's empowering. And by the way, there was something meditative about it, like I wasn't on my phone the whole time, even though I filmed parts of it. I was sitting like just being present, being like, Okay, this is there, this is happening here, and this is an interesting experience and like I'm not dying. Nothing happened, and it was actually nice, Like it was nice. So I just I did that to push myself through something that was slightly uncomfortable, just to say like you could do it too, and to inspire people. That's what I want to meet to people like I'll do difficult things, you know, so you will do difficult things too. I want to make that like something that's normalized. So anyway, that was what happened with that but the people coming up to my table reminded me of something recently that just happened.
Speaker 2: So I thought, this isn't like you could tell me your opinion. But I actually I thought about this all day, which was weird, like why it was bothering me.
Speaker 1: So there was a person who did my makeup in the Hamptons years ago, and I don't remember the actual makeup job.
Speaker 2: It seemed to fine enough. They came last.
Speaker 1: Minute, that was very appreciated, and they were filming about it as they were leaving the house in the driveway and the person who booked them it was like a glam concierge service. I think I might have someone from my team saw it and told them because you know, it was in my driveway and it was like right away, like look what I just did or who I worked with.
Speaker 2: It was like a flex and I get it. Listen.
Speaker 1: I used to talk about cooking for Merchica Hargateay and working for Paris and Nikki when I was a nobody in Life of Style magazine and trying to get somewhere like you know that game the street cred that I cooked for Dennis Leary all that it's currency.
Speaker 2: I get it. I really did. I'm part of it, and that was it. I don't never use them again. I'm not even sure if that was why.
Speaker 1: I think if it was, like this was a person, I was glad that they came last minute.
Speaker 2: They I think seemed lovely.
Speaker 1: And so I was at kitchen cabaret a place and on the way to the Hamptons where I go to like get food. On the way out there ice coffees, and I was in my car. So the parking lot there is weird. The parking lot there has like normal park parking spots and then there are parallel park parking spots, one in front of the other with the lines in between, and like they're tight and getting in and out of them can be tricky. So I go back out and the dogs are with us and brings in the back seat, and I start the car and I almost run someone over. I'm not exaggering, and I almost run them over because they step between the two parallel parking spots. So I'm backing up, but then I'm going to go forward to move out of the spot.
Speaker 2: Does that make any sense?
Speaker 1: Like I've reversed, but I got to get out, so I've turned the wheel to the right and I'm now gonna get out. And now person in that moment and I'm looking into the right hand just slipped right in front of the car stand like I almost I almost ran them over right next to the mirror, like right against my car.
Speaker 2: And that's jarring to me.
Speaker 1: That's just like pulling in on the booth and sitting next to me motioning for me to roll the window down, which is never a good idea, but I'm just like, so shook. So I rolled the window down. Hi, Hi, it's hi, Bethany. I'm like, yeah, I used to do your makeup in the Hampton's And I said, and I'm very literal, this.
Speaker 2: Is not a rude slight to this person. This was not intended to be.
Speaker 1: But I said, oh yeah once because I wanted to make sure it was the right person. And it was the right person. But in the moment, it was like, wait, listen, you know, have things flashed so quick. I'm looking at them and I'm thinking, you can do my makeup multiple times? Like I think it's probably that guy who came and left. But I was like, so shook that I So I go, oh yeah once, and he's like yeah, once, but like you could tell he was a little annoyed at the exchange, I'm like, hi, and then you know, that was it. I wasn't like, oh my god, yes, that was amazing.
Speaker 2: How are you like? All was so jory.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I thought about it for hours. I thought about it for hours, like I wish I had been like a little friendlier and that like corrected that I used to do it because who cares. It was just like in the moment, I was like being literal because I didn't know who it was. And then yeah, I don't know why I told that story. It's just thing you don't always know what perspective someone's coming from, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: You don't always know.
Speaker 1: So anyway, these are the things I think about when like you don't think I'm thinking about it. I obsessed over things that really don't fucking matter. So I didn't finish the Alex Earl story. Incidentally, I did Alex Earl's podcast a couple of weeks ago, or maybe it was a month ago, and it hasn't aired yet. It will air very shortly, so now I could talk about it, and she was very.
Speaker 2: Respectful. I don't know how to explain it. She doesn't.
Speaker 1: She was very respectful. She's launching a product that I paved the way for. I created the low calorie ready to Drink Space, I invented the skinny Margarita, and I definitely created the low calorie ready to drink Margarita Space. And Alex Earl now has a low calorie ready to drink Margarita. So she kind of gave me my flowers about it and was like utilized me to announce it, which was smart of her. And I enjoyed my time with her friend. Sally, who's a fan, was there.
Speaker 2: It was nice.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I went out with alex Earle two days after she mistakenly accidentally stood me up. We went out to a restaurant called The Joye, which is a small, little private place.
Speaker 2: We were supposed to go somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Someone was kind of felt like they were using us, so we ended up going to the Joyce.
Speaker 2: It was in Wonderful Steak.
Speaker 1: It's part of this app that I've joined that gets you reservations. And she was dressed like me. I was dressed like her. I was like, what am I going to wear to go out with a twenty four year old in Miami on a Saturday night. So I wore like this little denim like sort of Miami slutty, cute chain bordered little boustie with miniskirt. That's age inappropriate. I've rocked and I landed it, but like only for Miami, only for like a slutty Saturday night. Only with context, like if I'm just walking out and that's like, what is she doing? Does she understand how old she is? So that's what I wore. And Alex Earl walks in in tights and a little black skirt and a little black carting and I'm like, wait a second. We dressed as each other. We couldn't think of the movie. And it was Freaky Friday. So we go to this restaurant and she's very poised and very sweet and you know, very sensible and like together like quiet, you know, and we talked and we confided in each other about life and love and struggles and relationships and childhood and divorce and parenthood and all these different things. I gave her advice and hopefully it was good advice. I think I know it was good advice. So we had a really nice conversation and then we went to Fightina where they have the living room, which is a place for live music. And she loves live music, which is also interesting because at that age I certainly didn't love live music. I don't even always love live music now, so that was sort of mature. And we go to the Fightina living room and we didn't realize till the end of the night that it's like a dork conference. Like it's all these Ai guys in Hawaiian shirts, and I was like, why is everybody wearing a Hawaiian shirt? It just was very strange. And then we later at the end of the night, I realized I took her to like a dork Ai conference.
Speaker 2: She didn't care. She met some of my friends. We were really nice time.
Speaker 1: We shot some social I broke of OZ like it was like it was rollover, so I broke a OZ.
Speaker 2: I was the embarrassment. She was mature. It was completely ridiculous.
Speaker 1: You know. I felt like I was her mom, like the crazy mom. And I was like, do I make you think of your mom? And I'm her mom's age, and she reminds me of my daughter. She's older, but like she definitely reminds me of Brynn, because Brynn is more like a little quieter and very diligent about her studies and wants to go to Univernity of Miami and takes her school work very seriously, like a responsible young woman like Alex's, not like I am. So we had a really nice night. I'm proud of Alex's success. I told her I'm here as a sounding board. I honestly want nothing from her, you know, obviously she's twenty four years old. It feels like she's the first person that I could give good advice to help navigate because things are going very well, and it all seems like it's going good, but it's hard to know the decisions to be made. And I gave her some advice on different areas of our podcast, and I liked her a lot. I enjoyed my night out, and she brought me stunning flowers, gorgeous, gigantic flowers. I can't even say all is forgiven about the stand up, because all was forgiven right after. It was very funny and it ended up being a place of yes for me.