Speaker 1: But I think you look at a guy that has, you know, excellent bats of ball skills, really good on base ability, works at bats, is really cerebral about his at bats, and.
Speaker 2: He probably has more power than Breckman does.
Speaker 1: Time to at the Saint Louis Cardinals top prospect. This is your BA prospect profile. The name is JJ Weatherhilt. It's Scott bron with JJ Cooper and Jeff Pond's from Baseball America. But Jeff, you start by telling us about the JJ that the Saint Louis Cardinals have and felt very fortunate to pick.
Speaker 2: In last year's draft.
Speaker 1: Some thought he could go number one overall and the Cardinals were like, whoa, We're at seven and we land this guy. Yeah, this was one of those kind of all time draft slides. I think, I mean, we'll see if the proof is in the pudding here, but this is almost like a guy that could have gone number one in the NFL Draft. But think about like Aaron Rodgers sitting in that room forever in that draft and Smith going on and then him dropping drop and dropping down the board. It kind of almost felt like that with Weatherhole. We had heard us prior to the draft as early as that morning that the pick could be weather Halt instead of set of Bazaga at one. I think you kind of look at some of the Guardian's tastes and weather Hal fits that, and what do I mean by that? Weather Halt has a great combination of skills. He's an outlier sort of bat to ball guy, has excellent approach, and there's some impact there as well. But this is a guy that you know, was the the batting champ of Division I baseball as a sophomore, dealt with some injuries as a junior. But I think we're going to really see weather Halt and sort of all of his glory again in twenty twenty five. This is a guy that was getting consistent fifty five to sixty run times from scouts across the industry. And I kind of circled back and pulled some guys that had seen him in the summer and sort of late fall and said, is he running better now? What's going on? And the run times were back up, which was great to see. But I think you look at the all around player here. It's somebody who could maybe profile at shortstop or multiple spots in the infield. Maybe isn't a shortstop long term, has the tools to profile at third base or at second base, certainly has the bat to fill in at third base, and the comp that I typically put on him is very similar to Alex Bregman in terms of the player. They're a different mentality, but I think you look at a guy that has, you know, excellent bats of ball skills, really good on base ability, works at bats, is really cerebral about is at bats, and he probably has more power than Bregman does, but maybe not as clean of barrels as Bregnant catches, which is kind of his superpower. But it's a similar type of player, and I think could maybe in the end, we could be looking back in five or six years and say this is the best hitter that got drafted this year.
Speaker 3: I think the other similarity you can pull here is when Alex Bregman was drafted is like, well where is he going to play? And in his case, it was like, well, you're not going to move Carl's career off a shortstop. I think the kind of the same thing applies here. Weatherholt should move really quickly. He's not going to move Mason Win off short stop either, because Mason Win that's kind of his calling card and that absolute, real gun of an all. But that versatility, that that batting ability that Weatherhold has kind of makes it where this isn't a problem because you would love to have a plus defender at third to go if a plus defender at.
Speaker 4: Short, that's kind of the dream scenario.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest. The Cardinals kind of have had a lot of guys in recent years. Obviously Aeronado is non example of this, but no, they've had a lot of guys kind of playing up at positions where they're a little bit stretched. You look at Nolan Gorman, you look at Jordan Walker, you look at a couple of these positions where you look at really at catcher with contraras last year or at least that's what they kind of clearly felt like afterwards that they need a little bit of help on the defense, and I think that Weatherhol fits in that very well, that ability to play third. I think he could probably play second if that was the position they needed. Probably is going to be more of a need at third in the short, medium, long term when the Cardinals are kind of clearly saying that Nolan Aernaudo is not their third basement of the of the future. I do think that he could move quite quickly. And I think the other thing that really does stand out is the Cardinals needed something like.
Speaker 4: This to happen.
Speaker 3: They need kind of guys, a new kind of young foundation to build around. When can be part of that, Weather Holp very much can be part of that. They do also have kind of some arms like a tink hence that really you're just hoping for the durability and help. But Jeff, I think that it really kind of does stand out that the youth movement that started last year in Saint Louis, Victor Scott hopefully becomes a part of that as well. We may see a lot more of that in twenty five, in twenty six, should.
Speaker 1: We You listen to some of the things that were coming out of the winter like warm up or whatever the heck they call it there in Saint Louis. I was kind of tuned in. They had some jaz they had Jordan Walker and some of these other guys talking. You know, Mazellak had kind of really really leaned into the Aeronaudo trade that it'd sort of priority won two and three. That opens up a spot for Weatherhul. I know that they kept them at Part Beach to start the season. There was no reason to sort of force him up. Some of that was roster restrictions. It wouldn't shock me if he starts the season at Double A springfield. Once you're in Double A, you can move pretty quickly. A mid season eta on weather Halt that they're able to move aeronauto and they're kind of leaning into that youth movement and a little bit of a slide back bridge rebuild type of year. It wouldn't shock me if weather Halt moves that fast, especially when you consider, you know, how advanced he is as a hitter. Kind of going back to this Bregmann comp that's how Bregman moved. If you remember, you know that first half of that season, Bregman was crushing the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: They had to keep moving him up.
Speaker 1: He kept on producing until you know, he forced his way into the major leagues by the end of that season. It wouldn't be unremarkable to see whether Halt have a sort of similar trajectory and move next year.
Speaker 3: The other thing I think that we do want to note here is that if you look at the Cardinals. It's not the best farm system in baseball right now, but it definitely weather Hold helps this a lot. Yiro Padilla, who's kind of a name to kind of file away a little ways away, but a really interesting prospect who will probably be coming to the States this year. They do have kind of some of these guys to kind of filter in where they've got a little bit more of a higher impact back. But concern I may have is are there the higher impact arms to go with that as well or has that kind of been a little bit of an issue for the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this is probably the first time that you can look at the top of that list and say, hey, there's some power pitching in the Cardinals organization. It's been a long time since you've been able to say that. Probably harken him back to the days of Jack Flaherty at this point. But you look at Quinn Matthews, you know, you know, our Minor League pitcher of the Year in twenty twenty four, the big jump that he took. There's not many left handers that have that fastball profile, that throw that hard, that also have two above average secondaries and have a track record of handling innings. I think that's a pretty good armed to have up top. You have tink Hens. He's got some durability concerns, but in terms of being electric, the man is an electric factory. When he's on the mound and things are right, he is exciting of an arm to watch as anybody in the minor leagues. And the sleeper here is to Coo Robi. He's dealt with some injuries, he's dealt with some ineffectiveness over the last couple of years. I do think he's a guy that the organization believes in heavily. And if you look at some of the pitching development stuff that's going on in the background, some of the things that him Bloom has been tasked with, I think as a Cardinals fan, you probably have to enter this season with a little bit more hope regarding the pitching development and what could be coming up through this system, because the pitching is the issue. If you look at that lineup, it's all homegrown at this point and they're really just waiting for someone to take a step forward into superstart him. I want to end with this with a more global look at the team.
Speaker 2: JJ.
Speaker 1: I mean this might be a whole topic of its own that we hit at some point on Hot Jade, and I encourage everyone to watch the show. But I think the two things that bother Cardinals fans as far as development right now are one, Jordan Walker has not developed into anything close to a star yet. And to the report from Katie Woomen the Athletic about how they really dumbed down a lot of their instructional coaching, development, all that kind of stuff there, they used to be kind of a leader on that front. So your thoughts on that whole view of the Cardinal system and if you think that's going to change.
Speaker 3: I do think that's what heim Bloom's job is this year, kind of as his get ready to take over everything, but in first you need to help us fix this. And the thing that just jumps out with that is we talked about Nolan Gorman, Jordan Walker. You know, these guys who are kind of playing at the upper ends of their position, you know, defensive spectrum where they could possibly play, and that used to be the Cardinal strength. But if you look at it in recent years, it is kind of hard to say that the Cardinals have stayed on the on the front end on the cutting edge of player development.
Speaker 4: They have had a number of.
Speaker 3: These guys who in some case, I would say also the MLB development of these guys kind of seems to go backwards. Dylan Carlson was better as a rookie than he was in year two or year three, and then he's kind of out the door.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Again, maybe this is what Matthew Libertore is. But Matthew Libertor has not really taken a step forward since he reached the major leagues. Jordan Walker has not. Nolan Gorman had a pretty good twenty three and then kind of really took a step back in twenty four. They need to see some of these guys take those steps and get better in the big leagues. Victor Scott hopefully Victor Scott just really struggled in his debut. But they need some of these guys to kind of regroup and then get better, not just kind of keep getting worse year after year.
Speaker 1: All right, well said, And if you want more on the Cardinals, of course we cover them on hot sheet and encourage you to check that out. If you want more on a different team, we release one of these every day during spring training. So come back to the Baseball America YouTube channel. Get yourself a BA subscription as well at Baseballamerica dot com and we'll see it or another prospect profile.
Speaker 2: Which'all will hit for a high average.
Speaker 1: He's also going to walk more and as I said, this is a guy that does know how to elevate, doesn't know how to hit the ball hard in the air to his pull side. Matt Shaw is the top prospect for now in the CUB system, as he could be a big contributor to this team in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: That's hit a prospect profile.
Speaker 1: Scottie Brown along with Baseball America's JJ Cooper and Jeff Ponce. What do you think, Jeff Matt Shaw a Rookie of the Year candidate in the National League. Yeah, I mean I would say, you know the odds on favorite prior to probably rookie Sasaki signing, I would say that it's probably, you know, the two of those guys. Certainly from a positional player side, I think Shaw falls squarely into that category. There were some offseason moves made, of course. That Kyle Tucker trade not only added Kyle Tucker to this lineup, but also freed up a spot by trading Isaac Barredes, and then also Cam Smith, who was behind Shawn the packing order and in terms of when he would get to the major leagues, but competition at third base, and I think you can look at sort of this lineup right now. Roster resources had it projected as Matt Shaw's the potential starter for quite some time, and I think when you look at the upper minor success and just the track record of this player, it's pretty easy to see why the Cubs would be so invested in this player and believe that he'd be able to sort of handle it. We heard talk coming into twenty twenty four that Shaw was spending the offseason working out at third base, not at second or shortstop, or I think a lot of us had projected he would end up long term. This is also a guy who has a long track record of hitting against high level competition dating back to when he was in high school, dating back to when he was the Cape Cod League MVP, and really sort of ran the table from beginning to end in terms of the best player in the Cape Cod League in that summer, won a championship with Bourne. He's a big time player, ultra competitive type. I think in some ways probably compares to Alex Bregman in that sense, not the defender that Alex bregmant is, but I do think he has some other tools, particularly physical, that Bregman doesn't have. He hits the ball harder than Bregman ever has. This is a guy that does have sort of twenty twenty upside. He's quicker and a better base stealer and actually has base stealing acumen that I think goes above and beyond just his sort of home to first run times, really knows how to read pitchers. He's a very cerebral player, kind of guy that you know, if you watch Cubs games every single day, you're probably gonna fall in love with this guy.
Speaker 3: I can't help but just think about the fact that when you look at the Cubs and you look at kind of one of the ways that they have had success over the last decade. They had the wave that obviously led them to the World Series, but after that, they've always kind of loved drafting their their productive college infield bats. Now, Ian Happ kind of always faced some questions about whether he's going to where he's going to play defensively, but he always could hit Nico Horner kind of followed after that. I kind of also view Matt Shaw's maybe a slightly better version kind of following in those footsteps where you're talking about these guys who have a long track record of production the upper levels of college baseball, you know, top level programs, who then go to the miners and do the same thing and just kind of earn that being plugged in, Like, Okay, you're the guy. We're not counting on you to be the star from day one, but at the same time, you're a regular from day one that you arrive, and let's see if you can blossom into kind of being a cornerstone piece and at worst kind of a very good complimentary piece. Jeff, when you kind of look at Shaw speaking of for Cubs fans, like comparing him to guys that they know that have been up on the big league club already, if you compare him to say, like a Nico Horner, how's he different, How's he better, How's he worse?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to see Matt Shaw put up the sort of valuable defensive seasons that Nico Horner had put up when he was playing shortstop prior Dancey sponsor coming over. Now, he's one of the best defensive second basement in baseball. It's a really talented defensive middle infield. So he's not going to have the same impact on that side of the ball the other side. The big question, I think, dating back to when Horner was at Stanford and sort of one of the last sort of remaining guys with that Stanford sling, he likes to go inside out. It's you know, keeping the ball in the ballpark, hitting them where they ain't. That is not Matt Shaw's game. Shaw can do that. Shaw will hit for a high average. He's also gonna walk more. And as I said, this is a guy that does know how to elevate, does know how to hit the ball hard in the air to his pull side.
Speaker 2: And I think, you know, Wrigley is probably.
Speaker 1: The perfect sort of park for him where it's not super high fences, they're not super deep out there.
Speaker 2: There's certain days where the ball travels a little bit more.
Speaker 1: And I think that you know, you're looking at a player that has more like twenty thirty upside when horners certainly have the stolen base acumen.
Speaker 2: We've seen that time and time again. Throughout his professional career, but is a.
Speaker 1: Little bit more of like a speed, contact and defense guy where I've used Shaw as you know, more of like a two three four hitter. Ultimately, all right, so I'll spin us to a global approach here on the Chicago Cubs farm system, JJ seems like it's pretty good, especially on the position player side, and we might even get ourselves a little bit of a log jam at some point if some of these prospects do work out.
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say? And do you feel like Matt Shaw.
Speaker 1: Will be the first here in a litmus test to see how that goes.
Speaker 3: I would say that's completely fair to say. And I would say that if you look at the outfield, I feel like that the logjams here we've seen Owen Casey is that.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that one Casey.
Speaker 3: Couldn't use a few more at bats in the minor leagues, But Owen Casey's knocking on the door. Kevin Alcontra uh you know, is knocking on the door. So these are guys who have already reached the upper levels of the miners. And if the Cubs were earlier in this rebuild, that they'd never have called a rebuild. I would say that you might just say, okay, that they're just going to plug in it and get at bats. But you look at this team right now. I mean, that's why the Kyle Trucker trade was made. You've got Kyle Tucker, You've got Piker Armstrong, You've got you know we talked about have you've got, say a Suzuki. You've got a number of guys where I think Shaw is very well positioned here because he's kind they've kind of cleared out a spot for him just to take it. But now going forward, they have a lot of guys who already have double A, already have triple A time. But Jeff, I'll look at it. Who's the next guy up, Who's the next guy who can really like there's a clear path or who is it? Pretty much everyone else going to be waiting for an opportunity, whether it comes by injury, whether it comes by trade in effectiveness, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: It's probably you know, of course Shaw is number one. I think he's the one that has the clearest path the playing time, But when we talk about the more global picture of the system, it's probably Kate Horton.
Speaker 2: If Kate Horton can.
Speaker 1: Show that he's back, he's healthy, He gets, you know, some of that feel and shape back on his fastball and his slider, and can really be sort of that nasty two pitch guy that we saw.
Speaker 2: He could fit into a bullpen roll.
Speaker 1: He could be a spot starter guy, somebody that fills in for an injury on the rotation. I really think when you look at this logjam in the outfield, it's going to have to be an injury to one of those four guys you just mentioned. They made a big trade with Tucker, They're going to play that guy. And then you have a bunch of productive major leaguers and then a young, outstanding defensive center fielder and Pete crow Armstrong. It's tough for me to imagine that any of those outfielders are going to be up I think there's maybe even a chance that between now and the beginning of the season that we could even see the Cubs swing a trade and maybe move one of those outfielders or a couple for an upgrade somewhere else in the roster. I think the dark horse here though, is probably Moises Ballistero's if he takes a step forward in terms of his receiving and sort of catch and throw elements behind the plate. The bat is there. It's a mature hitter, a guy that doesn't give away at bats, bats of ball skills or elite. I mean, you could see it in game. But we were at the Futures Game last year when they were doing some of those skill competitions, and there was really nobody who had the level of barrel control amongst some of the best hitting prospects in baseball that had that level of barrel control that Ballistero showed. So I think just as a catcher and Billy to play some first base, maybe there's some opportunity there, but it is a true logjam with these outfielders. And I think, you know, if you're Kevin al Kintara, who debuted last year, owned Casey, who spent the full season in Triple A, you're kind of like if I was in you know, twenty other organizations, I probably am in the major leagues at this point and looking at entering the season with a full time job.
Speaker 3: One last question on that though, when we talk about Casey, when we talk about al Kantara, are those guys ready right now or is it like is there one of these guys who you would say is basically there's nothing left for him to prove in the miners because I kind of feel like with other than maybe Matt Shaw, all these hitters are guys who might benefit from another half season or more in Triple A.
Speaker 1: I think you can make the case for Casey. He's had a lot of upper Minors success. I think you saw how he sort of evolved last year, and particularly in a more challenging environment now, the strike zones and all that sort of thing. We can quibble about that in Triple A, but he's facing better competition. He showed improvements as a contact hitter as well as his approach.
Speaker 2: We know he has the underlying power.
Speaker 1: It's just a matter of sort of getting to that in the best possible way in terms of bad at ball angles, consistently hitting the ball in the air to his pull side and getting the most out of those big evs and that big power that he possesses in his body.
Speaker 2: He's a good corner outfielder.
Speaker 1: I don't know that there's a ton more experience that he needs at the Triple A level. I think it's really going to be the litmus test of how does he adjust once he is challenged by the best pitchers in the world. Al Kintara, on the other hand, has less time elite defender in center field. If it wasn't for pie Crow Armstrong, he would probably be the best center field defender in the organization.
Speaker 2: He's a great athlete.
Speaker 1: I still think that, you know, three hundred to four hundred, five hundred played appearances a triple A are probably going.
Speaker 4: To do him some good.
Speaker 1: So we know, at least for now, until that status goes away and Cubs fans are hoping that starts right on Opening Day where he becomes a big leaguer. Matt Shaw is the top prospect in the organization according to the smart minds over at Baseball America. We're going to keep doing this every single day. We'll release another top prospect video here per organization. So come on back or keep scrolling through if you missed any and we'll see you for the next one.
Speaker 2: Name anybody.
Speaker 1: This guy is really special and like I said, if he was an American, he'd probably be the number one pick in the draft going away. The top prospect in the Milwaukee Brewer system is Hayzus Motte.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 1: We're helping you out with the name, and now we've got some information for you too, as we hit a prospect profile Scott Braun along with Baseball America's JJ Cooper and Jeff Ponce. So let's dive in, gentlemen, Jeff hayesus Mota is the name that we might not here in the big leagues anytime soon, but I do want to remind everyone how much of an impact Jackson Cheerio made at such a young age in twenty twenty four. So do you have an ETA in mind and what do you think about this prospect? Yeah, I'm probably about us. It's excited about hey, Zusmadi, as I've been on any player coming state side in the last five to six years. You know, it's it's really was elite stuff. In terms of what we saw last year in the DSL. I think it was a one sixty nine WRC plus sixty nine percent better than his competition. The underlying data is really good and we'll probably chat about that in a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, but I'm thinking, you know, we're probably.
Speaker 1: Looking minimum twenty twenty seven comes over this year, even if he sort of follows that Churio path of jumping both A ball levels and you know, skipping over the Arizona complexly, which I think is totally reasonable and probably possible.
Speaker 2: Then it's double A, triple A.
Speaker 1: The next year, maybe he signs an extension, and you know, we sort of see him in twenty twenty seven. I would say that would be the earliest. That's probably still somewhat optimistic. As his player, you know, a year ago was just sixteen years old and wouldn't be eligible for the draft as an American player until this year, so kind of puts into perspective just how young he is. But you know, I know, Jay and I have discussed this player quite a bit. He was a hot name during our top one hundred process, and you know, of course our number one Brewers prospect and a pretty dang good system.
Speaker 3: This is this is why we send someone to the Dominican Summer League and go to the All Star Game and all is to see guys like Hayesus Moday and to come back and say, man, everyone down there is raving about Hayesus Moday. This is really kind of how you draw it up. Like when we talk about it's hard not to compare him to Jackson Turio, even though Turia is an outfielder, although he was a shortstop as an amateur, but an outfielder, you know, for the Brewers, where as opposed to Made should stay.
Speaker 4: In the dirt.
Speaker 3: But the reason it's kind of not it's hard not to compare them is is that this is that kind of that ceiling, that kind of potential impact where you look at Maday and say, Okay, this is a player who really could have some pretty special back to ball skills, power for his age, strike zone, discipline, all these things that are usually kind of the the things that you add as you mature, as you kind of get more at bats, Made already has a lot of those. Now, I don't want to go over on this. He's a teenager who's yet to play in the US, So this is not something where he's knocking on the door and goes to spring training going I'm going to show those Brewers and find a spot in the big league lineup or anything like that. But it does kind of explain why he could be on a faster track than most, much like what we saw with with Jackson Turio, who skipped over went straight to a loway to Carolina and then kind of showed he was too good for that league, so he kind of earned a Midwest League assignment, gets to double a the next year turn around, he's in the big leagues before you know it, barring injury, if he keeps it up like we's done so far. That's something that you could also see kind of that kind of track with made. But the other thing I would say with this is this is how the Brewers. This is one of the explanations for why and how the Brewers have kind of managed to stay at the top of the NL Central year after year, even though they don't really have a whole lot of financial advantages or market advantages.
Speaker 2: Over the Cardinals or the Cubs or.
Speaker 4: Some other teams in that division.
Speaker 3: But they've been really good on the international market, they've been really good at hitter development, they've been really good at picture development, and Jeff, I mean, you just put it all together, they're kind of rocking and rolling here as far as just year after year after year, this is putting him number one wasn't easy because this is a system that has a number of guys who are very plausible number one candidates.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you know, we have a task that we do during our Top one hundred coverage. Go and check that stuff out on the site. But one of my favorite articles that we work on every year is who could be the Number One prospect in twenty twenty six? And when I came to this, and you know, I was thinking about writing to this article, there was no other option for me. It was pretty much either Sebastian Walcott that I knew other guy who was going to write about.
Speaker 2: But for me, it was Jesus made.
Speaker 1: And the reason that I say this, I think, if you're going to put a player comp on this guy, it's probably like Ronald kun if you could stick in the in the infield. It's that sort of level of other worldly skills. And there's probably even a case to be made that he's more advanced than Akunya was. At this point there was one player throughout the entire minor leagues, and I think this really showcases his dominance that had this trio of numbers, a mis rate below twelve percent, a chase rate below fifteen percent, and a nine eighth percentile exit velocity of one hundred and four miles problem, which by the way, is major league gaverage. He did this when he turned seventeen a month prior to the start of the Dominican Summer League season. It's just so outlier, and I think it sort of showcases just how dominant he was. There was no player in the minor leagues that, from an underlying data perspective, was more dominant in twenty twenty four against his average age of competition than Maddi was. That includes Christian Campbell, that includes Roman Anthony, name anybody. This guy is really special and like I said, if he was an American, he'd probably be the number one pick in the raft going away and setting like Bonus Pool records. He would probably beat Charlie Condon and Chase Burns numbers. It's just that outlier. We'll see how it translates when he comes over at first. But haven't looked at DSL data going back years. I've never seen anybody that approaches this, including guys like Junior Cameron Arrow.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I want to provide like that. I want to because we've got everyone very understandably heated up about Jesus made so now before we wrap this up, I want to kind of pour a little bit of cold water, just tamp it down a little bit. There's a reason he's not our number one prospect yet. Jeff, what would be a scenario where it's like, okay, because we know the DSL, the tricky part of the DSL, hitting the ball hard, not chasing, all these things are really good, but we also know that that league is much more uneven, I would say, than like a US, like a full season league especially, there's it's really hard to nitpickus made right now.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's not a short stop long term.
Speaker 3: But is there something, Jeff, that you look at and say, Okay, this is what could slow him down.
Speaker 4: Other than injury?
Speaker 3: What could slow him down in twenty twenty five as he continues as a scent up our rankings.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, just probably optimize batted ball contact, and we're looking at how often is this guy going to put the ball in the air. How often is he going to hit the ball in the air to his pull side. Could get some bad batted ball luck. He does still hit the ball on the ground a fair amount. A lot of his hardest hit drives are still on the ground. You know, technically that leads to higher batting averages, but it could maybe call into question what the overall power upside is and put him more in like that eighteen to twenty two sort of upside range for home runs versus the thirty plus that we look at when we see a kid who's sixteen, seventeen years old hitting balls as hard as the average Major leaguer on a particular metric. So I would say that's probably the big one. The other one is, you know, if the defense does continue to slide down and it's more of a question of can he stick in the infield at second or third base, I don't think that's going to happen. I think it's really more of a question of is he an everyday shortstop, which you know, when you think about there's only thirty of those jobs in the entire world, there is obviously a very high threshold you have to meet in terms of defensive ability to stick there. So I think those are the question marks. There aren't many guys that I go into every year where I'm like, three years from now, this guy is going to be a superstar. And I really do feel that in terms of my gut but also my head when I look at sort of all the pieces of the puzzle on how it comes together.
Speaker 2: You know my job.
Speaker 1: My job is to take the class haf full listen to that and be like, did we just find the next superstar coming up to Major League Baseball who could be a Rookie of the Year a couple of years from now and show us, you know what Jackson Cheerio did, who will be a seasoned VET by that point, so it could be heyzous, my day, Jackson Cheerio. And if you actually spell that out without knowing how to pronounce the name, it would be kind of interesting. So anyway, this is going to be very very fun for Brewers fans if it pans out the way that they think it could. Okay, so obviously you need to stay locked on Baseball America coverage. Get yourself a Baseball America's subscription so you can follow this storyline and either say I knew about this a while back and expected this, or you know, you can get after us a couple of years from now too. So thanks for watching this one. That's the top prospect right now in the Brewers organization, and we'll see it for more of these as we go.
Speaker 2: Team by team.
Speaker 1: Chandler could really ascend to sort of that number two role behind schemes in the next couple of years. He's a bigger guy, he's super athletic. We're hitting the top prospect in the Pirates organization. According to Baseball America. It's called a prospect profile. It's a fun name too, so you want to see him thrive. Bubba Chandler in the Pirates organization, just pitching JJ, What do we have here a potential number? What in a rotation if it all pans out?
Speaker 3: Okay, you could say a two. This is the Pirates, So like, I think the Pirates will be thrilled. I feels their number three this year or their number four, even because let's give credit to the Pirates on this one. Paul Skiing is Jared Jones, Mitch Keller. If Bubba could be their number four, that's a really good rotation. Okay, It's maybe not Dodger's rotation where it's like, if you might you must have cy Young votes to enter this rotation. But it is really good and Bubba fits very well in that. Like, it is not something where when we talk about those guys that you would say, oh, Bubba Chandler is the kind of the outlier of that group. No, I think if it all comes together, it wouldn't surprise me at all. He's not gonna be Paul Skans. If Paul Skins is healthy, that's your ace. But if you told me that Bubba Chandler ended up being the number two on this staff and Jared Jones.
Speaker 4: Kind of slots behind him, wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 3: You got to give Jones the credit for he's already done it at the big league level.
Speaker 4: Bubba hasn't.
Speaker 3: But Jeff, when I look at Bubba Chandler, I see a whole lot here to think this guy could be a rotation fixture and a really kind of impactful rotation fixture for years to come.
Speaker 1: When I was sort of going through the process of doing my annual best pitches in the top one hundred, there's a lot of candidates for best fastball. Guys like Chose, Chase Dolander and others that throw really, really hard with great movement, had great results throughout the season. When you look at the combination of factors on Bubba Chandler's fastball, ninety five to ninety six can ramp it up to one hundred miles per hour when he needs it. He's got, you know, above average induced vertical break. He's getting above average horizontal break, and he's doing all that from a really low release height.
Speaker 2: It's almost similar.
Speaker 1: To like a Garrett Cole sort of fastball in terms of the movement profile. But also those release traits, and those release traits are important because they pore ten deception and the ability for hitters to not be able to get on plane with that pitch. And oh, when it's sitting ninety six to ninety seven and can touch ninety nine one hundred miles per hour, it takes them even longer to adjust to that. There's probably some stuff that can come along In terms of what the slider is. It's kind of a hard cutterish slider. There's been some questions from scouts as to how well he manipulates that pitch and how frequently he land. That will be a question that will be answered at the major league level. And then he has a pretty good change up as well that plays well off of the fastball, so it might be more of a fastball change up sort of first profile, which obviously is going to put him in a good position to handle heavy left handed lineups. But he does have the smoke and you know, a good enough sider to still get right handers out consistently. We saw great results when he was up in Triple A last year, and I think when you just you look at a player like this, he kind of fits directly into that Pirate's window of this like elite rotation that they could potentially build. And I even think pound for pound when you think about the body, some of the durability concerns that you might have with a guy like Jared Jones, which I think are totally reasonable, and just even looking at some of the comparable arms to Jones, like a strider, you know there's going to be some injuries and some wear and tear and some shutdowns over that period of time. I think that Chandler could really ascend to sort of that number two role behind Skens in next couple of years. He's a bigger guy, he's super athletic, he can handle some innings. He's proven that he's been able to do that. I think it's really exciting. I would argue that you know this, this guy is every bit up there with Jackson Job and Roki Sasaki and some of the other Andrew Payn or some of the other top top pitching prospects and that's why he's inside our top ten. That sounds promising and also kind of leads me to think about why the pirates want him to just pitch. But JJ, you can tell us more as I'm coming in here as the No Fund Police to try and bring more fun to our sport, which means more two way sensations. Bubba Chandler can swing the bat. Why can't we see him continue that.
Speaker 3: Because unfortunately we haven't proven that anyone in the US knows how to develop guys like that as pros. I mean, I wish that was the case. It'd be a lot of fun. But Mason Wynn was a two way guy, and they're like, wait a second, we got to figure out how do we get him to pitch and not shn eng Linn got to remember who is kind of still a two way guy for the reds Now but he's also again kind of coming from Asia. Shoeyotani has proven you can do it. But go back to Brendan McKay with the Rays a few years ago, who was a top five pick, and they're like, oh no, no, he can hit enough that we're going to use him as a picture slash first base with slash DH and he broke he couldn't do it. He could not do both, and it ended up they could do neither because of it because he kind of broke down his shoulder injuries and all, and and Brendan McKay's kind of been bouncing around, but nothing like the prospect he was a few years ago. I think we're going to see it with the Royals with Jack hagleone where we had Jack on the Hot Sheets show a couple weeks ago, and I think we tried to ask every way we possibly could about the two way, and he really didn't want to answer it, which I think can translate to the Royals aren't closing the door, but they're really saying, we want you to hit home runs, we don't really necessarily need you to be striking guys out in the later innings.
Speaker 4: I just Michael.
Speaker 3: Lorenzen's another guy. There have been guys like this, but it's just really hard to figure out in the US system how to get a guy to develop as a hitter and a pitcher at the same time. And I really struggle to come up with an example of anyone other than Shoeyotani, who's pulled it.
Speaker 4: Off, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's just not anyone else on earth, or probably since Babe Ruth who is as dominant on both sides of the ball with those with those jobs. And I think, you know, that is probably part of the reason that sho Heyo Tani is able to do this for as long as he is, because he is such a good pitcher, maybe one of the top fifteen most talented pitchers in the world, while being one of the top five best hitters in the world. We haven't seen anybody else that's been comparable to that, even coming from these American institutions that had track records like Brendan McKay or a guy like Jack Caglian cagnia One. It's it's a bat over pitch profile. He wouldn't have gone in the first round if he was a pitcher. Where we can sort of look at Shoeyo Tani pretty easily, he would have been the one to one pick as a hitter or as a pitcher or as both.
Speaker 2: It really doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: And I think it's similar with Boba, where the bat just wasn't as far along as how special he was as a pitcher.
Speaker 2: When you're the pirates.
Speaker 1: There's probably nothing more valuable than getting really good starting pitching on the cheap and controllable for a couple of years. That it was a prudent decision for the organization, even though it does sort of sap the fun out of a player like Bubba a little bit.
Speaker 3: I will point out that Paul Skins, Aron Jared Jones also were two way guys. Paul Skeens was was a college freshman All American for US for his catching in d H before he basically went to LSU and moved to the mound full time. So it's not just him, like, man, can you imagine Paul Sking. Paul Skins really had legit power. It's just hard to pull it off. But the other thing I do think that happens when you have these guys make this transition. Bubba Chandler's talked about it that he was a two way guy, which meant he really never kind of had that starting pitcher's mentality, that way of prepping for starts, and so a guy like Bubba kind of needed that transition to Okay, here's how you treat your week, Here's how you treat your days before the start, here's how you treat your day of the start, because he was a two way guy before, and so I do think it was useful that he's gotten a chance to kind of get into a regimen, get into a mentality of here's how I prep to start today, Here's how I go through my entire day to be ready to do this without kind of some of the other stuff like oh, I need to get some swings in the cage and things like that.
Speaker 1: And here I'll just summarize the conversation about the Pirates, which we can obviously cover on our weekly show more as this season goes on. It's called Hot Sheet. Check it out every Monday Live at three thirty Eastern time. Can the Pirates develop enough to make themselves contenders? Because we know they're not going to get the free agency support. It's just not in their playbook. They do not have permission from ownership to go after players. We talk about this year after year. It doesn't matter if they're in tank mode or right now where they should be in competitive mode. It didn't really change much as far as the final product last year. We'll see what a fresh slate looks like with Skeins at the start of the season. Obviously, this is very exciting to talk about what Bubba can bring to the mix eventually, but it is the lurking question with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Can they do this without adding much around them in Major League Baseball as far as free agent signings. So anyway, if you want to hear more on that, you can definitely check us out on a weekly basis so you can read more in Baseball America, get yourself a subscription. And if you're a fan of another team, we just want to hear about other prospects, then just keep rolling here. We'll go team by team on this series. There are some things that just don't come across on the radar gun or the stat sheet or you know, the track man device that I think make this guy, you know a dog. Let's hit the top prospect for the Cincinnati Reds. The name is Rhet Louder. It's a prospect profile Scott Braun, Baseball Americans, JJ Cooper and Jeff Ponce JJ. The Reds have been trying to stack high end pitching talent. Rhet Louder up next here?
Speaker 3: What do you think I think that they've got another guy knocking on the door here I'd be shocked we saw Red Louder at the end of twenty twenty four, and I would be shocked if we don't see him produce quality innings for the Reds in twenty twenty five. Although to the Red's credit, they've kind of loaded their rotation enough where well, we'll see, you know, through we'll see on opening day or in the lead up to opening day, whether he's going to crack that roster, that rotation from day one, or get a little bit more seasoning. But this is as we thought when he was.
Speaker 4: Coming out of a forest. This is an extremely polished pitcher.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I almost want to say, like almost apologize as I lay this out, because it's gonna sound like I'm kind of damning him with faint praise, and I.
Speaker 4: Don't mean it that way.
Speaker 3: There is no pitch for Rhet Louder that jumps out as like, oh, that's like a Paul Skiing's eighty, that's like a Rokie Sazaki splitter or anything like that. What really does stand out is just how all this fits together. He's got a good enough he's got this arsenal pitches that all are kind of like fifty five maybe it's a sixty. Maybe it's a plus pitch, an above average pitch if you'll really like it. But the key to all of this is you watch how he pitches when he's on, and he was on pretty much throughout his little MLB sin at the end of twenty twenty four. His command, his control is really advanced. He doesn't miss with bad misses. If he misses, he generally is going to miss in a spot where okay, ball two, let's do this again. He doesn't miss where it leaks over the middle of the play and gets crushed. He did that over and over. He's done that kind of going back to his college career at wake Forest, where if you do remember, he matched Paul Schemes pitch for pitch in Wake Forest versus LSU in one of the greatest College Rule Series games we'll probably ever see. You put it all together, and I would say that this is more like this is a kind of a some of the of the parts guy where maybe the stuff just keeps getting a little bit better.
Speaker 4: I look at a guy.
Speaker 3: Like the path that, like Aaron Nola had with the Phillies, where Nola doesn't have blow you away velocity, doesn't really have blow you away pitches, but it works year after year after year because he really knows how to pitch. He's really durable, he's really smart. That kind of describes Rhet Louder. I would say as well. But I will also say it agonized as we did this Red's list, because you could go Reht Louder, you could go Chase Burns, by the way, another wake Forest first round pick for the top of the draft. They've done it two years in a row here, and Jeff, I think, like again, I'm going with the guy who's basically big league ready, but I think you could also make the case for Chase Burns, who's yet to really pitch in pro ball. But on the ceiling side, I would have one hundred percent agree that if Chase Burns hits his ceiling and Rehet Louder hits his sealing, Chase Burns's gonna end up being the better pitcher.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Yeah, I think you know, just as the resident stuffest in house here, meaning I care more about stuff than I do necessarily about it.
Speaker 4: I used to be that guy.
Speaker 1: You stole that from me, and pitch ability, I would lean on Burns. I think there's maybe some other elements of Burns with profile that we haven't totally seen against high level competition. Some of the talk around him, you know, in the fall and some of the workouts that were happening in Arizona where that he was only throwing with a major league ball. So this could be another player just like Louder last year that we see sort of streamlined right into that big league rotation as early as the end of this season. That being said, I do want to sort of give Brett laud to his flowers. When you look at execution, when you look at pitchability, and I think you sort of nailed it with the Nola comp of somebody who's going to go in there, they're going to understand their opponents. They're going to understand the spots and the zones that they need to land particular pitches, how they have to sequence certain guys. He's going to do all that work and sort of dating back to, you know, talking to his former pitching coach, Corey Muscara at Wake Forest when I was, you know, doing some sort of draft work for us in my early days here at BA. That was something even as an underclassman when he pitched here at Boston College that Corey really called out. This guy just has a very cerebral understanding of pitching that he doesn't have to have the biggest stuff because he knows how to hit his spots. He knows how to make everything sort of dovetail nicely within his arsenal. So he does execute, He does get those outs, and it can get through lineup sufficiently without having to just forcibly try to strike everybody out, which I think at times that can be sort of the knock on Burns. So when we compare the two, I think when you're looking at Louder, he's just a more polished, more major league ready. But that's not to say that he doesn't have upside when he finally does face you know, major league competition over his thirty plus starts and sort of gets his feet. Weapon, has major league coaching and access to all of the know additional things, nutrition, whatever it might be that could take his game up another level. I think that you could see that because of the type of sort of individual and makeup that you have with a guy like Louder. So there are some things that just don't come across on the radar gun or the stat sheet or you know, the track man device that I think make this guy, you know, a dog.
Speaker 3: The things that stand out for me, we saw it last year, like at the start of the season, Louder kind of got beat around for the first time. I would say, really, I don't know, maybe this life, but especially like his first time really as an you know, high level amateur.
Speaker 4: As a pro. And he made adjustments.
Speaker 3: He kind of realized, Okay, that four seamer that I've really relied on isn't kind of going to be my calling card, got the seat, start using the sinker more. I think that that's one of the things that we're going to be looking at with a guy Likerhet Louder. And that's what makes kind of projecting pitching so fun but also so challenging. Is what he is right now? Is what he is right now. We know that he had one of the best strike percentages in the miners last year. He throws a ton of strikes he can locate. But if you told me that three four years from now one of his best pitches is a pitch he doesn't throw right now, wouldn't shock me. Because I think as he goes through the hitters are going to show him what he needs to improve, saying Wather, He's going to show hitters what they need to improve at. And it's going to be kind of this point counterpoint. This isn't a guy who's just going to rear back and blow guys away. So if you told me that he's going to tinker, that he's going to add this pitch, maybe it's a cutter this year, or it's a slider, it's a little different, or you know, split whatever it is. Like, I think that he has the way to kind of add, subtract, do different things, and he has the aptitude to do that. We saw that again to take it to an extreme example because the guy he faced in Omaha, But we saw that with Paul Skeens last year, who kind of perfected and refined a pitch that he barely threw in college to kind of help, you know, take him to a Rookie of the Year status. If you told me the Red Louder is going to kind of keep tinkering over the next few years, he's smart enough that would not be all feeded that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you're excited as a Reds fan about the rotation that you have, but you feel like you want a little bit more, especially of top end talent. And here we're talking about Ladder getting you excited, and we're talking about Burns getting you excited. And this helps to tell the story of why the Reds have been going in this direction early in drafts JJ. They also have trouble, understandably recruiting pitchers to Cincinnati as free agents.
Speaker 3: I will say also, though, if you're a Reds fan and you're saying that, and I'd say, like, well, Hunter Green is kind of like that's about as high octane as it gets, so like you got one, like you know, so now we're hoping to add two and three to that. But no, this is what the Reds are doing really well right now. They need helping the lineup. Ellie de la Cruz can't do it all by himself. But if you look at this rotation, it's going to be deeper than five man deep. A five man rotation with guys who should be very plausible starters. Nick Martinez can kind of do whatever they want with him because he can swing back and forth. And then you add go a year from now, and you add back in a Brandon Williamson and a Julian Agiar who kind of fit into that as well. As they come back from injury that the pitching staff wise, Red's looking up look looking pretty promising right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good news for the long term for this team. So if you want more on the Cincinnati Reds, you can obviously check out Baseball America. Get yourself a subscription if you don't have one already subscribed to this YouTube channel check us out weekly on our show called Hot Sheet, and we'll keep rolling out top prospects team by a team as we go through the offseason.
Speaker 4: Here