Speaker 1: The time state records bring we will suit you to.
Speaker 2: The gunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome and hang out.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. That's Arm Layton. I am Peter apple Arum. Get those damn fingers ready because it's time for the weekend round up where we recapped every game that was over the past weekend with plenty of takeaways, and it's all brought to you by bet mgm. Crack, that's the sound of the bat hitting the baseball and a reward being dropped into your account. Take a swing each day in our free to play game. If you get a hit, you'll score a reward depending on whether your hit was a single, double, triple, or home run. And this game is exclusively available at bet mgm. So here's how it works. Step one, you plays the batter and you select an area of the strike zone. Step number two. If you get a hit, you win a prize simple as that. You could win a fifty dollars bonus bet and odds boost token, a parlay Boost token, or a same game parlay boost token. And remember, if it is your first pick on bet mgm, use code Just Baseball because if your first pick loses, you'll get it all back end bonus bets up to fifteen hundred bucks. Arm, what's going on? Wild weekend of baseball? I'm excited to recap it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a fun It was a fun weekend. I feel like a lot because we're getting to that point of the season post deadline, Like you're gonna get some matchups sometimes of teams that are maybe not as invested in winning at the stages others. But for the most part, we got a lot of games of match or a bunch of series of matchups of teams that are in it, or at least relatively in it. Like we didn't have too many like, for lack of a better term, like kind of loser versus loser matchups here this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm watching a lot of these American League games, and I just have to remind myself that teams that are four or five games under five hundred are still a.
Speaker 3: Lot, very a lot.
Speaker 2: I could be watching and be like, man, this team is just not very good, but then they eke out a win, and then I check the standings and I'm like, wait a minute, is this a playoff team? So I have to continue to recalibrate my mind to decide who's good and who's dot. And it's tough, but at least I have you here, and we're here to break it all down and try our best. Who's good, who's dot? You know, we'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: I think some of it is like who's the least bad, and that's what we're like. What it gets the playoff time and whoever squeaks in is going to be like some of these wild card teams, who's the least bad and set up to be potentially do this And I think we've got some of those answers this weekend. But what we'll start on an interleague an interleague game here, interleague series, I should say, Blue Jays versus Phillies, And this was kind of a series and these the Phillies are a pretty good team. I felt like neither of these teams wanted to win some of these games here. And you go to Game one, Jose Soriano's Blue Jay debut opposite of Zach Wheeler. The Jays got to Wheeler for four runs on seven hits and five free passes. He threw one hundred and sixteen pitches in what was a battle for him. And it wasn't only a bat the only battle of the day, as the Blue Jays hitting coach David Popkins was eventually ejected for getting on umpires about where Wheeler's foot was on the rubber. He may have had a case, but Wheeler does this kind of all the time, and it's got a larger interesting conversation. Anyways, the Blue Jays would end up winning this one five to four, but Wheeler still got his licks in post game, and I quote, you know, they've got a lot of sorry, excuse me. You know, they've lost a lot of games over there, so they're probably trying to pick some things up to complain about. I hear him, but he didn't have a good start that game. Yeah, so we all gonna say whatever he wants. He's the man to me. We're gonna go to game two real quick. But I just wanted your quick thoughts on rubber thing. There's some video out there where his foot really is kind of off the rubber. But he's also kind of done this and got away with it for a while. It's an interesting conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the thing. He starts on the rubber and then he takes his foot off while he's in the wind up, so I'm not totally sure the exact rules of how it is. And I'm one of the biggest biggest Zach Wheeler fans on the planet. I've routinely said on this show, even in Trek Scooble at the peak, even if Paul Skins at the peak, I would still prefer to have Zach Wheeler pitching Game seven of the World Series with the death being pointed at Earth. So I'm as big of a Zack Wheeler fan as you're gonna find outside of Philly. However, didn't love that quote because you're making fun of the Blue Jays while you're getting hit by the Blue Jays. And why are the Blue Jays so bad this season? It's because they have the worst offense in baseball, or at least bottom three in runs scored per game this season. So didn't love it. But I understand Wheeler gets pissed off when he's done the same thing over and over throughout his career. We're gonna talk about the Braves Yankees game. Chris Sale got ejected even before the game started the following day because he was still pissed about the back call where he was in the wind up. But he didn't declare it. So it's like these older pitchers, especially the dog days of summer, like we're a game one hundred and sixtet, they're just fed up with all that. So I was gonna understand where Wheeler was coming from, but at the same time not his best quote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love the thirty seven year olds now or they're just like, I don't give a shit, man, I'm gonna throw I'm gonna throw my stones even if the if it's from a glasshouse right now, and normally it's not, just in this specific scenario, it kind of was. Regardless, the league has kind of made some comments here and there about Wheeler. If I'm not mistaken in the past, it's like, as you mentioned, like the foot goes up and down, but the second time he kind of like pops it up and down he brings it off the robber towards first base, and it also creates a really unique look. So I'll be interesting if there's anything more that comes that next time out. We had more interesting things going on with real quick or old guy in a legend, but this was more positive. In Game two, Max Schurzer makes his third start off the il for the Blue Jays, and he was solid for his second consecutive outing, going five in a thirds innings of two run ball, and his four strikeouts pushed him past Walter Johnson for tenth all time. I thought, that was really kuman. That's an awesome, awesome mark to reach when you're top ten all time in passing a name like Walter Johnson, who was like, obviously, he's a legend. Like also not really a real person to me, more of like a figment of my imagination. Back to the game, Vladdie Junior solo homer in an RBI single made things two zero until the sixth inning, when Trey Turner and Bryce Harper went back to back to Chase Sherzer and tie things up before pushing two more runs across against Spencer Miles to go up four to two, and Andre Semenez two RBI double tied things up in the eighth, and then Nathan Lucas hit a two run shot in the eleventh to help seal it for the Blue Jays, who take Game two seven to five. Game three, another back and forth thriller that made its way into extras als. Weberhmer twice, but the Jays kept clawing back. We went into the bottom of the tenth with the Jays up six to five, but Bryson Stott tied it with an RBI single. Then Derek Hill walked things off with a single of his own. Shout out Jesus Lizardo. He didn't get the win, but he struck out twelve and seven innings of two run ball. Philly salvage the series and take the third game.
Speaker 2: Did you have met any major takeaways from this, because my biggest takeaway is just that watching this Phillies team, I can totally understand the allure come October when you have front three of Wheeler and Sanchez and Lozardo, and you know they added a couple pieces to the bullpen at the trade deadline, you still got Duran and the ninth I understand that they are going to pitch, but they're just not going to go anywhere if the offense is this sluggish. And I don't mean to use this word like it sounds a little bit to meaning, but this is what I feel when I'm turned on Phillies games lately. It's such a boring team. Yeah, they're so boring. I mean, yes, when Schoorber hits a couple of home runs, but he hasn't hit one of those in a while. Bryce Harper is really having a fantastic season, but in reality has nothing to do with those two guys. It's just a lot of the guys in the lineup, like Bryce and Stott has been hitting better, which is nice, but over the totality of the season, it's been a lackluster performance from him. We've talked at length about Tred Turner's struggles, and then it's like, why am I getting excited to watch Derek Hill. He had the walk off hit in that game. He at least shows a little bit of fire. Sometimes it's just an offense that is just kind of like they go to the ballpark, they do their research, they might get a hit or not, who cares, and then it's over and maybe they won. I don't know. It's just a boring offense.
Speaker 3: I think it's not a coincidence of the one game they do win. It is the game that Schwarber goes deep twice, and it just feels like they're living and dying by him or Harper. And I love the addition of a Riaz like. I think he has added a little bit of spunk to this lineup, which has been huge. I mean, without a rise, it's just a snooze. But I think even Phillies fans, I just I sense it like this feels like and of course we say this when we say the last few years, we've said if not now, then when with the Phillies, and it feels like this year is like, this is the worst Phillies team we've seen in several years, and this will be the one that somehow makes the run, you know. But I just it does feel like to me it's a little bit weaker than the last you know, a couple of years of Phillies teams. That said, with the pitching they have, they get hot. Some of the bullpen reinforcements can help. Ryan Kirkering has been struggling. Hopefully it's just getting that out of his system now. But yeah, it does feel like if if you're not getting that special Schwerber performance like we got in one of the ball games with two homers, or you know, Harper doing his thing, it can get a little bit frustrating. I like what Ariaz brings to the table, but yeah, this is still a team that I think they are just kind of what they are, which is like this wild card team, which, as in the past, we're looking at them as a team that can really make a push for the division. It's one of the more feared teams in the National League. To me, they're slightly above the rest of the wild card teams, and like we're gonna talk about d Backs and like, I think they have a little bit more talent, but I don't think these teams are that different, and it's just a little bit lesser of a Phillies team than we're.
Speaker 2: Used to speaking about the wild Card. The Blue Jays are three and a half games out and in last place and seven games utter five hundred. That's what I'm saying. It's like I'm watching the Blue Jays that win a series and all of a sudden, wait a minute, they're not dead. They're not dead. Nobody's dead in the American League outside of the Royals and the Angels and maybe the Mariners after this past weekend. But we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: So let's go to the Angels, who I can confirm I went on Saturday. This team is dead. They do not have a pulse game one, though they had a little bit of a pulse George Glassen made his return to the big leagues for the Angels, and Mike Trout on his thirty fifth birthday, which you know, anytime we get to see Trout go deep, always going to be fun. And Nolan Shanwell homer in the seventh gave the Angels a four to two lead, but the Marlins made it interesting in the ninth with the tying run being gunned down at the plate on a gem of a throw by Jose Sirie. Angels hold on four to three. Game two, all Marlins who bounce back and bounce Walbert Urania in the third inning, Sandy al Contra was stellar, breaking the franchise record for ningx pitched when he finished his one and twenty sixth frame and podcast people, we've got We've got Jack's call ready to go right. Yeah, let's hear Jack nail this real quick to two is cut on and missed. It was a cutter on the bottom rail.
Speaker 1: And Sandy's got the honor he's always coveted the most.
Speaker 2: Sandy al Contre has gotten more outs than anyone who.
Speaker 1: Is ever put on a Marlin's uniform.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, cher love shows for that.
Speaker 3: And it's not like it's like the or anything where it's like he surpassed some legend Ricky in Alaska. Look I love Ricky in Alaska, but you know it was It's a really special moment there for I think Jack nailed it. Sandy. All he cares about is availability, durability. Obviously wants to be dominant as well, but like that is the core of who he is and everything he prepares for. And just get another classic Sandy line here. Seven innings, three hits, no runs, one walk, eight k's. Marlins wins seven to zero and Jack wins with the call.
Speaker 2: Game three.
Speaker 3: Grayson Rodriguez tried to follow up his best start of the year, which came across came against his former team, the Orioles, but he struggled in the first ending, allowing three earned runs before set or three runs before settling in to strike out eight and four frames. He actually weird, weird watch, Like first enning, I'm like, oh my gosh, this guys, it's just this is sad, this is depressing. I'm eologizing him. And then he looks really solid after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said in the discord, he looks like he's pitching hurt. And I had the game on one of like the corners, and I really start focusing and I'm like, uh, yeah, what is going on? And then he started rattling off decent innings and I thought to myself, Okay, maybe he's not but it just doesn't look quite like the same Grayson Rodriguez. But at the same time, did any of us expect that in year one of the Taylor Ward, Gras and Rodriguez trade. The reason we didn't like it in the first place was, yes, this season for Grayson off an injury might be a lost season, but you still get him for extra years of control. So I still stand by the graceon Rodriguez is going to be able to fight back from this. But this year has just kind of felt like a lost season, and it still feels like he's not quite himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I saw from him is just some of these throws he's guiding it. I feel like all these different injuries he's had, it's probably had him overthinking the mechanics some. But then when he was thrown free and easy, and some of these middle innings really sharp in eight strikeouts, some really good change up, some good sliders, Blue ninety seven past Kyle Stowers, but it didn't really matter because once Grayson Rodriguez was bounced, the Marlins absolutely blitzed the Angels bullpen Griffin Conine Homer twice one hundred and fifteen mile per hour. Homer, I think, get like, I forget what the degree like. I think it was like a fifteen degree launch. It was something ridiculous, but absolute laser beam from him. And then he hits another one off of Tyler Hyeman that was like a tomahawk for the second Homer. Marlins win twelve to three. They take the series, and they climb back over five hundred, and they sit three games out of the final wildcard spot. Not a ton to take away from this series. The Angels are a really tough watch. I can say that, but you know you can. I'm enjoying like a little bit of Denser Guzman. I think he's growing into a solid player for them, you know. I it's funny the first couple endings I saw of Urania, I'm like this, I get why they trade to Jose Soriana. They kind of have like a young Soriano blossoming here. And I still really do believe that g Rod's the big X factor like if he can finish the year strong, capture some of those moments more and get into next year where he could just be a serviceablefore I this Angel's rotation more than we bad in the bats, even thought George Classen not a great outing but has been really good in trip Away over the last handful of outings. It was better than obviously his first two outings this year at the big BIGU level. Like the pitching side of things has come together a little bit, it's just really tough to watch them like they just kind of fall apart big time. And for the Marlins, like the bats had been non existent of late. Great time to try to get the bats going. But it's gonna be a reality check now against the Pirates this coming week to see if the bats are really coming to life or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been the disappointing part about watching the Marlins lately is I've been so used to turning on the Marlins game, getting Jack on the call, and as soon as you turn it on, Jack calls and that's a line drive to center for Auto Lopez.
Speaker 3: You know, is yeah tenfhit right.
Speaker 2: But he's been struggling. Xavier Edwards has been struggling a little bit. Like I know, Kyle Stowers had a nice hit this weekend, but overall it hasn't looked all that great, been a little bit inconsistent. Javier Soinoha has been great though at least that's a nice hitter in the lineup. And then you're coni, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: Been huge for them. I mean they went from like platuning him and they still kind of do, but like patuning him all the time and batting him seventh sometimes ninth, to like he's sitting clean up now and like he came through today. He's an fifty ops guy. Yeah, which is awesome. The two homer day I think bumped him up even higher, which is exciting. But again, this Pirate series will be a big reality check. Also, Kyle Stowers has had a lot of hamstring issues this year, like two different flare ups, and I think had another hamstring issue today that I wouldn't be surprised if that keeps him out. That's gonna be interesting. What do they do from there. They don't really have another first basement. It might be the recently acquired Jonathan Long from the Cubs who could come up. It might be Leo Jimenez. I don't know. They might have griff place some first. I don't know what they're gonna do. Very fascinating. I know they wanted to get Augustine Romirez some reps there. He ain't ready to just go play first right now, Martin's gonna have to figure that out of Kyle Stowers missing some time.
Speaker 2: My body feels good. Just let me know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just go go, uh but be designated fielder at first.
Speaker 2: I could hit a little bit. All I'm saying is you put me up against Sugano. I'm getting a hit. Just just put me in the back of your mind. I don't have to be the first call. I don't even have to be the second call. But third, I think that makes sense for me.
Speaker 3: This was your only shot. I think was the Angel series. Maybe a couple of these arms they had out of the pen. I don't know about this here, Shigano.
Speaker 2: I got you with Jack both plugged into the Barlins can't hurt to ask, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll throw a feeler out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just throw a feeler.
Speaker 3: Guardian's White Sox Parker messk did Parker messick things again in Game one, going seven innings of two run ball with eight strikeouts. Noah Schultz on the other side. I feel like I got a lot of fun storylines with my five series. Here's another fun one. Noah Schultz on the other side, ran into some trouble in the first inning, but it was his manager's mistake that ended up ending his day. Well, Venable didn't realize that it was his second visit to the mound, meaning the White Sox had to pull him after recording just one out. So then David Sanwin had to just wear it for five innings, and I mean it just didn't go great for him either. He didn't even get to properly warm up, but it's not an injury situation, so you don't really get to warm up at all, so he had to wear it. Not a great outing for him. In five innings. Guardians win eight to two on Hell Martinez and Stephen Kwan. Homer Stephen Kwan starting to come back to life. I'm sure we'll talk about that a little bit more at the recap of the whole series. Game two White Sox bounce back on a quality start from Anthony Ka opposite of Gavin Williams. It was scoreless until the sixth enning, when Reyese Hoskins launched a two run shot, but then Munataka mura kame answered back in the home half with the homer of his own, jump starting a four run inning. On Helanau did launch his first career homer, and he continues to sprint out of the gate in his MLB debut, but the White Sox take it six to three. Then we go to Game three, A second ending rain delay ended Davis Martin and Joey Cantillo's days at just one, ending each, curning things over to the bullpen where twenty twenty four first rounder Hagen Smith made his MLB debut, and I think it did exactly what I would have guessed, honestly. He pitched two scoreless innings, struck out four or walked four, and struck out three. So welcome to the Hagen Smith Show. I probably won't be the last time you see that kind of line. It's gonna be a matter of finding the command a little bit more consistently. Obviously, the stuff is fantastic. Nicoles in Montgomery three run shot in the third was the difference, and they end up winning five to three. The White Sox do, and they take the series just a big one. This has become a pretty fun little rivalry here. This was an opportunity for the Guardians kind of quaw back and sneak back into this thing. They don't by dropping two out of three, So the White Socks are able to broaden their lead in the division a little bit here and now have what about a three game cushion. I think it's just a frustrating one for the guards. Obviously some weird stuff in this series, but frustrating none the last.
Speaker 2: It definitely is frustrating, but Stephen Kwan has been anything but frustrating since July first. Stephen Kuan is slashing three ninety eight, four seventy nine, five point fifteen for a one point eighty seven WRC. Plus he has in his last thirty games one point eight f one And Stephen Kwan is gonna do one of those things again where he's a three three and a half win player by seasons and what again just still shocks me about Stephen Kwan is he's hitting two sixty three. I understand that batting average is not the end all be all, but like wins, we kind of joke around about it. And there's some guys where you just expect more, and I expect more from Stephen Kwan hitting two sixty three. Also, do you hear over the weekend two where with the White Sox Booth kind of clowning Stephen Kwan a little bit for not being a power hitter and then he immediately goes yard and now, granted for the White Sox Booth, I understand why you said that he came into the game with one home run, but there's number two that is the ultimate announcer chinks. If I'm an announcer, just don't mention it, Eddie, that kind of stuff. It's never gonna help you.
Speaker 3: Well, when they were saying how he tried to go, he was trying to get into more power in the past. He shouldn't do that and boom. You know, love to see in.
Speaker 2: Center Stephen Kwan. He's been playing a pretty good center field too.
Speaker 3: He's a great outfielder, and he's getting more comfortable. I think at first it was just the reads are a little bit different, just getting used to it. But once you get more comfortable, they're like a lot of guys say, those reads are actually easier, and with how good he is in a corner, it makes sense that Kwan's getting good out there, and then four game gap now in the division that the White Sox have, and all of a sudden they're starting to I don't want to say running away with it, but we're about to talk about the Tigers series next. They're up three and a half on the Tigers, who've been playing some pretty good ball of late. And then it's the Twins in the Guardians, both four games out. You know, you have another good week here, and once it starts getting to like a four and four and a half game cushion going into the final fifty games, like that's a pretty comfortable gap for the division for the White Sox, So just keep on pushing, no doubt.
Speaker 2: One player I want to shout out quickly is Chase my Drath. I feel like he's just one of those grinded out type ball players that is just really good at playing the game of baseball. And I've said that before. And it's one thing to have a ton of talent. You know, you post really high evs, you know your arm strength is really high. On Baseball Savant, you got some red bubbles. But sometimes those guys aren't actually good at playing the game of baseball. They're just very talented at baseball. Chase Mydrath is one of those guys where he doesn't have any super red savant bubbles, he doesn't have any crazy tools, but he's a really, really good ballplayer. Another you know, solid start to the month, and you know, I remember the Garrett Crochet trade where it felt like Chase my Draft was the fourth player in that deal, And since all those players have been acquired by the White Sox, he's ended up being the most valuable. And he's like one of those players where if you're a contender, you don't want him to be your best player. You don't want him to be your second best player, you don't even want him to be your third best player. But teams that really compete in October and could even win a World Series, they have hitters like Chase my Draft who are well above average at playing their role. In the White Sux got one, and he's young and they're going to have him for a while.
Speaker 3: Well it's interesting, so good back to ball wise, I think gave up a little bit of that bat to ball like to slug a little bit more of this season, and it's been a worthy exchange, right I mean, he's up to a one fourteen WRC plus this year, but when he needs to, he can kind of shorten up Punker down and Peyton put it out like things. The only guy to homer off of Mazerowski and Chapman like that's he's built to be able to kind of shorten up handle the v LO. But then I think against some other arms where he feels like he can get a little bit bigger and try to do a little bit more damage. My drafts found the ability to do that, and that's how we've seen him kind of take this step forward here where this slugging percentage starts with a four this season, and I think that makes a big difference. I think it's a great shout on my draft. Who's going to turn in, you know, a three coach to probably three and a half win season this year, maybe even a little bit better than that.
Speaker 2: Like they got their dudes in the middle of the lineup with Montgomery and Murakami and Miguel Vargas, but you need those role players like a midrath, like a sam Antanachia, like they just there winning good balance, served the win games. It's a good team.
Speaker 3: It's a really well balanced lineup and the pitching will just continue to come together and hopefully Higgin Smith can fill a role for them, and you know, as he just settles in a little bit more Tigers Giants Game one, Adrian Houser piggybacking J T. Brubecker uh the Tiger's bats colt while the Giants wore down Cayder Montero for five earned runs through six innings. A Willia Damas solo shot was the exclamation Giants win five to two in Game one. Game two Tigers roar back and Jackson Job's return to the mound from Tommy John surgery man was that fun to watch. Job allowed just one hit in five scoreless innings while the Tigers put up eight runs eight zero Tigers win. Job was throwing fuel. I mean we saw him up to, you know, courting with triple digits, disgusting changeups, just locating to all four quadrants. The breaking balls are sharp. It was like a power curvy threw in there. It looked like he took the time off to just continue optimizing the arsenal one man, I mean, you're going to replace Trek scouble, but it's nice at least if you're going to subtract from that rotation to bring back, you know, one of your top top prospects for a long time who can still be a really really good arm for you. That was a really encouraging win. And then he is followed by the guy that's been their race now, especially now that Schoobl's gone, Like this is their dude, Troy Melton. Troy Milton, and Logan Webb in Game three dueled it out as Melton tossed six scoreless to lower his ERA to one point four to six, while Logan web tworld eight innings of one run ball himself. The game went into the tenth tide at one to one, but two runs in the top half set up Tyler Holton to strike out the side and nail down the safe. Tigers win the series, climb within two games of five hundred, one game of a final playoff spot. And it's giving the Jack Flaherty trade, but we're still going to sneak our way into the playoffs kind of thing again. We'll see. But this team, even before the Schooble trade, had been trending in the right direction. And I know it's the Giants, but it's just the way that they're winning here. You had to done in Game one. But the Tigers are just throwing the heck out of the baseball and they're picking up the hits when they need to. The offense is gonna be the question. But obviously you're not gonna replace Google, like I said, but I have a belief that this staff is just going to continue to hold its own and they've been throwing the ball as well as just about anybody over the last two months.
Speaker 2: Troy Melton is number one in ERA since twenty twenty five among starters with at least ninety innings, Number one, and he has right now arguably the best cutter in all of baseball, and it's not arguable if you look at run value where he ranks at the tippity top of run value when it comes to cutters. And when you watch him sling that cutter, it's like this hard slider almost but it's coming in the low nineties. It's a disgusting pitch. And then that six to four frame averaging ninety six to ninety seven with the heater touching triple digits at times, but he gets close to seven feet of extension. So it's got to routinely feel like triple digits when you're in the box. But offensively, I know he didn't have the greatest series. I think I only saw him get one hit this weekend. But if your Don Alvarez disappeared off the face of the planet, live with me in this reality for a second, the American League MVP would be Dylan Dingle and Dingler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna I was ready for that point. I wanted to make it. I'm glad you.
Speaker 2: Did go out.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get He's gonna finish top three in MVP voting.
Speaker 2: And as he should. It's well above average defense behind the plate with an ops that's knocking on the door of nine hundred. Maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration. It's in the eight to sixty range. But ask yourself, for everybody listening, how often do you get that combination uh eight sixty ops from the catching position and your catcher is arguably a top five defensive catcher in the entire sport. And I remember I ranked him, what was it ten, on my top ten catchers list. I think a week in I came on the show and I said, wrong, everyone forget like the men in black thing when they when they clicked that, I wish I could do that through our entire audience. Like that was one of those takes where I just had to see it to believe it. And then even just a week of it, I saw it and I was like, what am I talking about? Like what a stupid take this guy is, Like, we're gonna ran catchers going into the next season. How is Dylan Dingler not the number one overall catchers one? Right? Because Goodman, you might say, well, Hunter Goodman as the same type of bat. Drake Baldwin might have the same type of bat. Shay lang Lears might have the same type of bat. They're nowhere near the defender that Dylan Dingler is, No, So I just wanted to make sure to give him his flowers, even though I know he didn't have a great series this weekend.
Speaker 3: Really fun prospects, like kind of trajectory to was banged up well, I mean even in Ohio State was playing center field at one point, then made the conversion, the conversion over to the dish, and then you know, offensively, it kind of like gradually progressed and then twenty twenty it's gonna be his breakout, and then you had the COVID shortened season, so it was really hard to get your exact idea of who he was going to be. They still take him relatively earlier in the Campe Round, and then injuries really limited him in the minor leagues, and it's just all really come together. I remember updating a write up in twenty three on him, and going into twenty four, I was like, this guy looks different. He looks explosive, he looks healthy, and it's just he hasn't looked back, and it just seems like he gets better every single time you check in. And what's also crazy is Kevin McGonagall is gonna get some down ballot votes as well in the MVP conversation, I think, which is nuts to think about in the American League. So I mean to wrap on this series. It's just where you add on the Tigers, cause, like I think they're gonna hang around in this thing. When you add Joe River, Ryan's gonna come back and no matter what you think about him, like he's another piece to add to them.
Speaker 2: I thought he was too old to pitch, Yeah he's I thought he wasn't allowed or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're going to force him to retire in the next year, so they're gonna squeeze out as much as they can.
Speaker 2: Hear, has a pitcher ever had a prime from ages twenty seven to thirty three? Or is did? That's too old? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And so if he can come back off the hammy, I think. I think this is an interesting pitching depth scenario where they've got a lot of different guys. The bullpen's starting to click. The Tigers have the number one ERA for since June first three point zho one ERA. The next best is a three point two zero, which is the Red Sox, and they've been obviously what they've been, so it's interesting, just something to monitor.
Speaker 2: Tigers can absolutely do it. They have one of the best run differentials in the American League. Going into the weekend, their run differential was better than the freaking Boston Red Sox and as we sit here today, Arham they have the best run differential in the American League plus eighty seven. Next best is the Red Sox at plus eighty four. Third best is the Yankees of plus eighty two, fourth is the Rays at plus forty six, is the White Sox at plus thirty seven, and then everybody else is in the red. So yes, the Tigers are the best team in the American League, but they're on the outside looking in of the playoffs because that's what the American League is this year. Just makes absolutely no sense coming into our YouTube live chat from King Raj for a two six kind of wild that the Tigers have the two oldest pitchers in baseball and Justin Ferlander and River Ryan True. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it. We go to the final series for me here and this might have been one of the best series of the weekend. Man Roki Sasaki Dutchess to Dodgers versus t Backs Game one. Roki Sasaki was sharp again, but Merrill Kelly was great opposite of him. Despite all of his historical struggles against the Dodgers, he took a no hitter into the sixth before allowing a pair of hits and leaving the game with cramping in his leg. A go ahead solo shot by Andy Pieyes on the top of the eighth would hold until the bottom of the ninth, when rookie Ryan Waldschmitz spp up to the plate with one man on and one out, ripping a walk off, two run shot to left center off of Edwin Diaz to win the game four to three. What a moment for Ryan Waldschmid, who's really started to pick it up for him for the d Backs and no guy that they were getting a lot of calls about at the deadline, Hasen said, we can't, we can't subtract him from this team, and he helps them win Game one. You go to game two. Yoshinoba, Yemmoto and Brandon Fott traded zeros but had two more zeros in his back pocket, tossing seven innings of shutout ball, allowing just two hits. A Kyle Tucker solo homer in the eighth broke the seal on the game, but back to back triples by Heraldo Perdomo and Corby Carrol in the bottom of the ninth tied things up. The Diamondbacks couldn't push across the winning run on third base with no outs in that bottom of the ninth, so it went to the tenth inning, where an infield single by show hey Otani gave gave the Dodgers the lead, and then Jack Dryer shut the door in the home half. Dodgers win two to one. That was a tough one for the d Backs because again they had a chance to win it there and then just kind of bled out on a couple of different paper cuts in the tenth. Then you go to Game three. Eduardo Rodriguez was fantastic while the d Backs chase Justin Roblaski by scoring two in the first and two in the second, and then creating traffic on the basis in the fourth to meet the end of his line. Eduardo Enriquez escaped the jam and the Diamondbacks actually did not score the rest of the game, but it didn't matter because of e Rod's dominance. Seven innings, five pits, two earned two walks, nine k's. He retired show hey Otani for the third time of the day on his one hundred and fifteenth pitch. Diamondbacks went four to two, take the series and take the season series over the Dodgers for the first time since twenty eighteen, now sixty three and fifty six, sharing that second wild card spot and third wild card spot with the Phillies.
Speaker 2: What a series. Unless you have two hands on the wheel when you're listening to this, I want you to get out of pen and paper and I want you to write this shit down because I'm calling it right now. It's August ninth. If the Diamondbacks face the Dodgers in the playoffs, they are going to upset them and kick them out of the playoffs. This Diamondbacks team is not afraid of the Dodgers. They simply are not. Even when they're not playing well, they can beat the Dodgers. And when they are playing well, Like I know, the Dodgers are in this stretch at the moment, but I don't even think if they were playing well that they would have beaten this Diamondbacks squad. And I'm not saying the Diamonbacks then are going to go on to win the World Series. I'm just saying that if these two teams meet in the NLCS, in the wild Card round at LDS whatever, the Diamondbacks are going to upset the Dodgers. This is how the Dodgers don't win the World Series. It's not going to be getting to the World Series and losing to an American League team. It's not going to be getting to the NLCS and facing the Brewers or the Phillies or the Braves. It's gonna be this pesky d Backs team that ends up upsetting them. I want that take out in the open. I believe it to my core watching this series, like I've watched so many of these d Backs Dodgers series, even when the d Backs go into La and they beat the crap out of them. Like when we had Buster only on what was it Thursday of last week, he was talking about teams that could potentially give the Dodgers a run now that they're vulnerable, and he was talking about the Padres and I said, Buster, do not sleep on this Snakes team. This Arizona team, for whatever reason, matches up with them so well and gives them so many headaches. That's my take. D Backs upset the Dodgers in the playoffs. Dodgers do not three pat Now, if the Dodgers do beat the Dumbacks in the playoffs and I'm wrong, consider them three times back to back.
Speaker 3: You think this is the only team that can take them down.
Speaker 2: I really do. I think it's the only team that could take them down.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I don't hate the take. And this is the exciting part about the d Backs team. Part of why I believed in this team being a playoff team is that I just I felt like there was so much more in there and in the biggest part is having a healthy Gabriel Moreno. I think he's a top three or four catcher in the game. He's and at his best with the This is another guy as good bat to ball wise as anybody at the position. Doing decisions have gotten so good. He's sneaking a little bit of more power out there too, and just watching him defend is so much fun. I think this is another one of the best at the position when you take everything into account, and what he's done for this team I think is really exciting. And I just keep going back to like, you're gonna get Justin Martinez back potentially sooner rather than later. And with Kevin Ginko throwing the way like this bullpen's already been shockingly great and you're gonna add Martinez to that, that really helps. And then Brandon fought. Now it's getting hard to deny whatever he figured out since coming back, it's real and he looks really good and so if they have that Brandon fought too, Like that's who helped them make the run to the World Series last time. Ryan Ultimith settling in, you know, the addition of Lars new Bar I think is just helping link in this lineup a little bit. Gettel Marte I think starting to come back to life. Heraldo Perdomo is really coming back to life, and that's the biggest part. It just seems like things are starting to really come together here. This has been the team I really thought could do it this year. They're going to get in the playoffs. I think it would take a collapse for them that's get into the playoffs, and then it just comes down to, you know, the matchups there and Soroka's coming back off the IL this week. Corbyn burns by sometime in September. I don't know. Things could just line up for this team.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to And two quick things on the Dodgers before we get to my series. Number one is when is it okay to start talking about Mooki Bets. Mooki Bets is an eighty five WRC plus, meaning Mooki Bets is fifteen percent worse than a league average hitter. Now thankfully still playing pretty good defense over there at short, which means his value is at least going to be decent, But staring down the barrel of a one point three f war and watching Mookie Bets at the plate just have zero. There's no power in there anymore. Since the All Star break, he's slugging under three hundred. That's not the that this is not Mooky Betts. We can talk about Kyle Tucker, we can talk about which was, yeah, he hasn't been bad. It's been Mooky who is in the fifth spot in this lineup. Or they bound him around a couple of times, and he just looks like an automatic out to me, and even when he does hit the ball, it's just like these weak grounders, right. And then the closing situation with Edwin Diaz. I mean, this is becoming a problem, right, And you know you could say, well, let's go over to Tanner Scott. That's the easy option there. But it's not like he's looked all that great, like Dave Roberts when he came out and said, you know, we're evaluating the situation, but there's not a lot of guys that we can turn to right now because a couple other guys are not pitching. Well, I understand it's a tough, but then you listen to Freddy Freeman talk about it, and he says I'm not worried about any of this. We're good. They are a great team. They're the best team in baseball. I still believe that. But they're not a perfect team. So again, this happens every fucking year. I'm actually like this happens every year. Arm going into the season, people say the season is over, it's over, Dodgers already won. Everyone go to bed, no need to watch baseball. I'm canceling my MLB TV subscription. I'm through with it. And then we're in August ninth and the Dodgers are getting passed by the Braves and the standings. The Brewers have already passed them. The Cubs are right. Clubs are a game behind, Cubs are a game behind. Snell is just making his return. Glass now is still hurt. Otawi is not on the mound yet, and they get Trek Scooble, They lose the scoople start, The offense doesn't look good, they don't have a closer right now, and even last year they almost lost the World Series. So it's just another reminder not to freak out and disavow baseball just because the Dodgers are signing free agents. It's the best sport in the world because you never know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pahes is tapered off a little bit the Devil's advocate, and I think with Dodgers is well, I'm glad they're getting it out of their system now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another good point. They're not perfect. Figerates them for the playoffs.
Speaker 3: They're not perfect. That's what this But at the same time, like from a Dodgers like flip side of it is, if you're going to work through some stuff, now is the time to do it. But it gets late fast, and you could also still not feel like you're playing your best ball going into the postseason. It'll be interesting to see. But yeah, I thought this was a great series for the d Backs. Continue to struggles for the Dodgers and we'll just kind of monitor and see how they sort some of these things out. But helps when you have Trek Scuoble to give you, you know, the quality start now after Yeah, mo Moto gives you quality starting Rookie Sasaki has been a really fun story to see that the way that he's starting to really settle it.
Speaker 2: Definitely let's move over to my ten series, but real quick, the best way to support this YouTube live stream if you're enjoying it, remember we go live every single Sunday, seven thirty pm Eastern. If you're coming in new is your first time, make sure to hit the like button and the subscribe button. And if you're listening to us on audio after the fact, best free way to support and only take a couple of clicks is by leaving a five star review wherever you get your podcast podcast p Would you mind giving us our first whosh? Let's go over to the Red taking on the Washington Nationals Game one. Nats win five to three. Dalan Lyles three run homer to open this game put Washington in the driver's seat, but the Red spot back with three solo shots that they're owned to tie it up in the second and third inning. Gino McClain and Ellie all got in on the fun, and a two run homer from Harry Ford in the fourth ended up being the difference here as Caid Cavali settled back into toss a quality start with eight strikeouts and the Nats bullpen shut it down. Shout out Kid Cavali. He currently leads baseball in starts with three earned runs or less, has put up a really solid season at the front of the Nationals rotation. Moved to Game two, NAT's win eight to two. Ableemic or Tes scored two on a scal single to start the scoring in the third, but Ginoswarez would answer back with a two run shot, his second homer in as many games. But then the floodgates just opened for Washington. Burns lost only his second game of the year, allowing five earned in five and a third and Andrew Alvarez on the other side for Washington allowed just one run over five and a thirds innings. Moved to Game three, the rubber match, well not really national sweep. They win seven to one. NAT's bullpen game was very effective and the offense did plenty enough to win again. Aba melek or Te'z rock to homer. Ruiz went three for three with an RBI. Daleen lyle Vivas each had two hits as the Nationals sweep the Reds. The Reds are playing pretty good ball there. For a little they were at least making it interesting in the division. They actually got up to fourth place at one moment, and then the Nats swept them, and then that's just like a solid team, right watching your body crue in their bullpen this week, and I'm like, that's a good Jake Bird. Shut the door, Jake Bird. I was just about to say, Jake Bird, shut the door. Like it's it's still a team that won't go out quietly. As everyone can see live here on YouTube, the Nationals are quite out of it yet four and a half games out of a wild card spot. It won't be easy, right You got to catch teams like the Phillies and the d Backs. But at the end of the day, a really good hot stretch from Washington and we know that they can get hot. They're right back in this thing.
Speaker 3: And I'll get to them in a second. I look at the final game as just like the epitome of what's wrong with the Reds and how they handled the deadline. All three pitchers that went should be in another uniform right now. Brady Singer to Burke to end Tone, all of those guys should be gone and should have got you prospects. And look, I know they they got off to that nice start after the deadline was almost I was thinking about it for a sec. I'm like, oh man, they're gonna rattle like ten and I'm gonna have to do like an apology video. But even then, I mean, look after the sweep, they're six out. They have almost no chance to get back into this thing, and that was the expectation. So it's just it's silly that they didn't sell. I think this was a reminder of that. But I do want to focus on the Nationals who did sell certain pieces. But also, like we talked about, why I love their deadline, was got these controllable bullpen pieces that can help them now, which because you're comparing it to what they had before, which is just they had some iron mics in there, and now you have some guys that can actually get out to even if they're a little bit raw upgrade and you have it's not like they traded Louis Garcia and it's just like, oh, let's just call up whoever they wanted to play Abbamela Cortez, like they wanted to clear the way for him, And is he gonna be Louis Garcia? I don't know, but this guy has the ingredients to be an above average big league back at first base, and he's looked like that right out of the gate, and he homeward today as we're recording this. So the fact that they they're not replacing him with the traffic cone, they wouldn't replace Carsie with the traffic cone. Their bullpen is much improved. Will Deon give them three huge innings and Jake Bird shut the door like their acquisitions are immediately helping them, and these are guys that are going to help them down the line as well. I loved this deadline for the Nationals because it didn't fully shut the door on the season for them, but it also still had the big picture in their vision, and I think this series is a perfect example of that. They're a better team than the Reds, and they sold and they're still in a better position to make the playoffs. These are two organizations that are operating on different levels here, the Nationals and Tobony being the higher one.
Speaker 2: To summarize what you just said, there are levels to this shit, all right. Let's move over to the A's taken on the Boston Red Sox, and it went exactly as we all thought. Game one, Red Sox win thirteen to one. Not sure what was more impressive, Peyton totally or the Red Sox offense, because Peyton totally struck out fourteen over six innings with two hits and one run with the walk to lower his era to three point two zero on just eighty four pitches. Incredibly efficient, dominant outing from totally Every starter in the Socks lineup had a hit. Six of them had multiple hits. Duran homerd A. Bray, you went two for two with three RBIs. Yoshida had two hits and two RBIs. Just pure domination from start to finish. But we moved Game two, A's win seven to three. How about gage jump for you? Rather take a bow? Six inning, six hits, two earned eleven punches against the hottest team on the planet. Jonaheim, who should be in another uniform, but hey, he's helping the A's win games right now. Yeah, broke the two to two tie in the fifth with an RBI single. Then in the six Donovan Walton two run double gave the A's a five to two lead, and Tyler soderstrom solo shot was the daghe we moved to the rubber match. Game three, and yes, the coldest team in baseball beat the hottest team in baseball. A's win four to three. WILLI M brad you broke a two two tie in the fifth with a sack fly, but Jonaheim answered in the eighth with a big RBI double. But what decided this game happen in the ninth as Max Munsey, the A's Max Mounsey, not the Dodgers. Max Munsey ripped an RBI double to give the A's the lead, and then they closed it out again. The coldest team in baseball goes on the road and beats the hottest team in baseball to win the series. Now, the A's have been a full blown disaster.
Speaker 3: It's been as bad as the Red Sox has been good, and the Red Sox has been good as good as any team we can remember.
Speaker 2: Isn't baseball the best? Like? What the hell? What are the A's doing going into fed Way and taking this series and two nice wins, not like lucky bounces, and they win a one run game that could have gone either way. I mean the last two games of the series again, eleven to six. I know, I guess technically Game three was kind of a one run game, but at the same time they deserve to win that game.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was fun series to watch. I don't know if it's one of like tangible takeaways. The Red Sox are fine, Like, it's just one series. You were the hottest team on the planet. You were due to lose. It would almost be impossible. If you keep winning series like this, I would almost think there's some devil voodoo magic out there. Also, the idiots on the internet, the Red Sox are cheating. How dumb can you be? Can we just enjoy a hot streak without you pulling out your tinfoil hat? And I understand as occasual tinfoil hat myself, I get it, but I understand maybe it's just shit talking, but people on the internet are dead serious.
Speaker 3: It's just well, if they were cheating, they definitely would have taken care of the athletics. Yeah, I think would yeah, unless unless this is where they we can't tip them off. We got to drop two or three here. But now I think this is why baseball is amazing. And also there's probably a scenario where the Red Sox where they can't lose right now, went into the series and said, oh my gosh, I mean this team can't win right now. We're at home. This will be easy, this will be easy, and they blitz them in Game one and they probably Coast a little bit in two and three, and they get surprised there because it's a major League baseball team and so some guys I can swing it. So yeah, no major takeaways from me here either. But the Athletics They've still have some guys that can swing it. But I thought it was the pitching performances. Gage Jump has that in him. He's gonna be a good arm for them, and I think he's gonna be middle rotation piece for them.
Speaker 2: And J. T.
Speaker 3: Ginn just continues to be a quality, quality arm for.
Speaker 2: Them, no doubt about it. All. Right, Let's move over two the Mets and the Pirates. Game one, Mets win six to four. This game was over by the third inning as Carson Bench had two RBI singles and Marcus Semion ripped the three run home run. Francisco Lindor had an RBI single as well, and the Mets bullpen held off a late rally by the Pirates for the win. Zach Thornton continues his underrated campaign, tossing five shutout innings to lower zero eight to two to five to two. Mets got a guy for next year. Game two, Pirates blank them nine to zero. Bubba Chandler is starting to find it on six shutout innings with five strikeouts, and the Pirates offense beat the crap out of Robert Stock, putting out eight runs and three innings, and Jake Mangham led the way with three hits to get his batting average to three hundred. Nick Gonzalez and Ronnie Simon both combined for five RBIs, but then in the rubber match, Mets destroy them eleven to one. Sell the team Champs rained down on the Pirates as they got blasted by the Mets. Boba Schett led the way, going five for five with three RBIs, Jacob Young had three hits, Alvarez and Luis Robert homerd and Sean Maniah was brilliant, gowing seven innings, allowing three hits in one run with eleven strikeouts. Totally turned his season around. And the loan to home run or the loan run excuse me, came from a Jake Mangham home run. Jake Mangham, how about? Pirates are dealing with injuries in their lineup. It's a bad stretch for Pittsburgh. It feels like every single time I check the standings, they're falling down. Down down, and some of their starting pitchers continue to struggle. Carmen Majinski, Army got another chance of the road, you got shell yet to not go well. I don't be decloud on the guy. We're more just talking about his comments from earlier on in the season, how he almost demanded a trade because he was kicked out of the rotation. Here's your shot didn't go exactly too well. I still think he's a fine pitcher. I was more just joking around, and you know this was a series. Two teams played baseball this weekend.
Speaker 3: Arm Yeah, I don't have any major takeaways other than like Sean man Ia, Like I know that the Pirates have had issues against leftist relative to how they hit righty's, but I mean that we've seen that Sean Manya before. That's not like totally totally out of nowhere. And when you look at what Manya has started to piece together over the last several outings, he looks a lot more like the guy that you know, the Mets gave a lot of money to, So maybe something clicked here, like they still have him under control for next season. If that's a guy that can end up just being serviceable for them in whatever role it is, like, it seems like he's at least got a little bit of life back in and in that arm. So just something to monitor there, because you mentioned they've got a guy in Thornton and absolutely could be a back into the rotation guy for him. They've got Christian Scott, They've got, you know, several key pieces that I think you can feel like you've got an Olan McLain obviously headlining it as well. Start to piece together this rotation a little bit and maybe you don't have to do as much work as it feels like with how bad the team has been Pirates kind of similar to the conversation. Now, this series with the Marlins, I think is gonna be really interesting because I think depending on how that goes, one team could really start sinking, and it seems like it could be the Pirates, but who knows. I think what will end up happening is it's a close series, like it always is. One team takes two out of three and you don't feel super confident about what the takeaway is. But I think if the Pirates don't take that series against the Marlins, you know, it could start to slip away for them a little bit.
Speaker 2: Here, no doubt about it. And Zach Thornton I just want to go back to him real quick. He kind of feels like the Mets version of Jake Bennett on the Red Sox, where it's this crafty lefty who's gotten really good results so far. I still think I prefer Bennett as a pitcher, but this fifth rounder, you didn't expect a lot from him. He wasn't one of the top Mets prospects, Jake Bennett, not one of the top Red Sox prospects, but game the shot and it's just took full advantage of that opportunity. I love guys like that where you know, again you're giving a lane and you you do as much as you can too, you know, earn a spot, and I feel like he's earning a spot.
Speaker 3: And then last shout O'Neil Cruz. I think on rehab they can't get him.
Speaker 2: Back enough or what's the fact, at least for them, but they need more, they need more to But it's not really even about the offense though, arm I feel like it's about the pitching. Yeah, I mean, have fun with the Camelo Devall experience, right, and you know they have Luke Weaver now, but it's the starters. Paul Skins is a four era, Joe Jones has been struggling. Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you know, it's not pitching. That's what the whole team was built on.
Speaker 2: So exactly, if they're not pitching, they've got no shots. So I think it's all on the pitching. If the Pirates want a rebound, all right, let's move over two Braves versus Yankees. Okay, we got Game one. Yankees win three to two in ten innings. It was a pitchers duel. I mean, this whole series was pitching related between Max Freed and Tyler Molly. Molly went six shutout innings with nine punches free pitch into the seventh without allowing a run and shruck out seven against his former team. Austin Riley was the first to put a run on the board with a solo shot in the eighth, and then Matt Olsen did the same in the ninth, but the Yankees rallied back in the ninth. Well started it with an RBI double. He's been playing a lot better lately, and then Ben Rice smacked a single to bring in the tying run and we head to extras. In the tenth, Yankees held Atlanta scoreless and then Ryan McMahon hit a sackfly to walk it off for the Yankees. Moved to Game two. Yankees win five to four. Spencer Jones started scoring in the first off Chris saale I was shocked. Arm we got Spencer Jones at the lefty crush and Chris sail I'll take it and then did it again to tie it up at two with an RBI triple in the fifth, and the Yankees got the lead on a controversial back call. What Wise came out to argue and got ejected. George Lombard Junior and rond Dcunya Junior traded solo shots late, but a Ben Rice homer in the eighth ended up being the difference as the Yankees held off a late Braves rally and moved to Game three. Braves tried to avoid the sweep, and they did it. They went two to one in ten innings. Cam Schlitler and Grant Holmes had an excellent pitchers duel, but Matt Olson broke it open with a home run in the seventh, but Trent Grisham would answer in the eighth with his eleventh high leverage home run since twenty twenty five, the most in the majors. Now, it's been a disaster watching him defend, but I still think the guy can hit. But the Braves would have the last laugh ultimately, as Michael Harris singled to score Kim in the tenth. Stat lines on both pitchers. Schlitler seven innings, three hits, one earned eleven k's, no walks, his eras at two to one. He made the Braves look like they've never seen a fastball above ninety seven miles an hour. They saw three of them couldn't do shit with it. And remember, the Braves came in with the sixth best offense in all of baseball against ninety seven miles an hour higher. They had nothing with Schlitler and Toulsen, but the Yankees at the same time could not square up Grant Holmes six shutout innings with only three hits allowed. His ERA is at three four seven. A really solid season so far for Grant Holmes and arm. I gotta be honest with you, as a Yankee fan watching Freed Cole Schlitler, it got me excited for the postseason. Knowing that Aaron Judge and Cody Bellinger are going to eventually come back watching Luis Garcia, you know, play some good defense. Actually, George Lumbard Junior is incredibly exciting. We all saw the report he was quizzing players on what Grant Holmes throws. Obviously didn't matter because Grant Holmes shoved it up our butts. Yeah, but you know has hit a couple of home runs already, played really really good defense. Remember he's twenty one. And I think I saw someone put this online and I don't mean to steal it. I just forgot who said it in the moment that were in the honeymoon phase for Grant Holmes, all right, not Granholmes, for George Lombard Junior or just everything is special, but at the yeah, I want to enjoy the honeymoon phase, Sue me. I'm a enjoying it. Well.
Speaker 3: The thing I keep thinking about is like the better he does, the more unrealistic. Like these Yankees fans expectations are going to be on Lombard and if he's a one fifteen WRC plus with above average defense, they're going to be passed or something. But I mean what he's been to just spark this offense that really needed it with the quality at bats that he's given, and this is exactly what they envisioned when they brought him up, right, He was one of the hottest hitters in the minor leagues when they brought him up, and that's I think why they wanted to ride the high hand and just try to jolt this offense a little bit to pair with Garcia, who they brought into jolt the offense a little bit, right, So I think it's been awesome to see that. This was like a felt like and I know they would only play ech other in the World Series, but just kind of like a playoff preview of how this Yankees team, even if the offense is not performing to the best of its abilities, can still just beat anybody. Because when you've got Cole, who's really looking more like Cole the more he's just kind of got the work good back under him since coming back from elbow surgery. Schwitzler just again making an interesting after the start that we saw from don't cease to continue to make this alsy young conversation so much fun. And then Freed, who's just always going to be able to give you a quality start like they can go toe to toe with anybody with those guys on the mound, as you alluded to with the playoff series side of things, and I mean this Braves line ups fantastic and they kept them at Bay the entire series. So I thought it was really impressive stuff from on the pitching side from the Yanks, And like again, when you have those three guys, you're going to be tough to beat.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. But at the same time, it's getting me excited. But I also have to remember in the back of my head, they got to hit. Like Judge has to come back healthy. Cody Bellinger has to come back and look like the Cody Bellinger at the start of the season, not the Cody Bellinger that we saw when Aaron Judge got injured and he cratered offensively. Now he's still an All World defender and left field, still a good base runner, He's just a good ball player. But at the same time, like he has to hit. If the Yankees want to make major noise here, they need those two guys to come back strong. Because Ben Rice is going through a little bit of a slide and you're seeing what the Yankees offense looks like. He hit his thirty second home run in the year this weekend, which was big, kind of snapped a homerless streak a little bit for him. And when he's not hitting, it gets tough. And Austin Wells has been hitting, which is good, and like that's just great for his confidence at the end of the day. But they need to hit and they haven't been hitting. But they still took two out of three from a really good Braves team.
Speaker 3: And shout out Tyler Mallley, like we're clowning that trade, Like you're not gonna go get a real, real impact arm and Maalley gives you six a three hit shutout, nine k's. If he keeps doing that, obviously we can eat some crow. But that's going to be interesting to see if Mali can follow that up.
Speaker 2: Also, I think Mike g is very upset that I did not include the Cubs in my team that is going to beat the LA Dodgers. Is there anything more hipster than Peter picking the d Backs as the team most likely to take down Sodgers over Braves, Cubs, Brewers, etc. Lol, Mike G, let's be honest. You want me to say it's the Cubs and I understand the Cubs beat them in a regular season series, but what I'm looking at as a team that is not afraid of the LA Dodgers and plays them well every single time. And it's a divisional team. So I know you love their Cubs. Of course they could, but I'm focused here on the d Backs. Let's now focus on the Cubs. How about it. They played a series this weekend against the Royals and they won that series. Let's talk about Cubs Royals. Game one, Cubs win, six to four. It was for to one Cubs by the end of the second as Pca and Saasa Zuki both drove in two on singles. Carter Gents would answer back with a homer, but so did Paeder Ramirez for the Cubs. Never really that close of a game. Kevin Gosman was great in his debut. He tossed seven innings of two run ball. Game two, Royals win six to three. Royals got all four runs they needed to win in the first three innings, with Tags starting it off with a homer and then ending it with an RBI double. In the middle of that was a two run single from Josh Rojas, but the Cubs brought the game to within one, highlighted by an Ian Halp homer, but yet another homer from CAGs late was the dagger moved to Game three, the rubber match, Cubs destroy them ten to two. Before we get into the offensive onslaught from Chicago. Shout out Matthew Boyd tossing seven innings a two run ball to lower Zira to three five zero. I know he's been a little bit banged up, but has really turned in a solid season for them. But now let's talk about the offense. Ian Happ his twentieth homer of the year. That's his fourth straight season with twenty plus homers and has now done it in five of the last six seasons. The one season he didn't, he hit seventeen home runs and that homer was one of or one of his three hits on the day. Miguel Amaya homer for the Cubs, Bush and Bregman had three hits each. It was a route Cubs win the series.
Speaker 3: They should, but a couple of things that sent out to me seeing Gosmin like that, I think you're gonna just see an invigorated Gosman here at the change of scenery, And it was just encouraging even against the Royals to see that series. I love Pedro Ramirez and I think he's gonna play a pretty big role in the team, especially with Matt Shawby and Hurt. I thought he was gonna be a guy that teams were gonna very much request at the deadline. I'm sure they did, but the Cubs holding on to him, I think says a lot. He added power this year. He's super versatile, he can do a lot of different things. He's sneaky on the base paths, great back to ball, really good approach. Like I love Pedro Miraz and he's been a difference maker for this team to plug whatever different gap that they have. And you know, I feel like the numbers should be better with with Bregman of late, just because it feels like when I'm checking in, I'm seeing a lot more quality at bats. But I feel like with Bregman, two are already seeing it. To see a different story all the time of like he helped this pitcher with something, he helped this hit or with something. And so I know Cubs fans are frustrating at times, are frustrated at times with with Bregman, but I also think that's a guy that's going to be like very helpful come postseason time. And since July first, Bregman's got a one to fifteen WRC plus if he's playing the defense he's capable of and doing all the other things, you know, beyond the box score. I feel like this guy deserves a little bit more love than he's getting the other side of it, though, Caglione, dude sick, game like he's just when he's hot, it is awesome, and I still think like it's all loading for I think the next full season that we have for a monster campaign for him.
Speaker 2: Since June first, Jack Caglion has played fifty five games with fifteen homers. He's slugging five sixty six. But the two numbers that jump out to me are him the fact that he's only striking out twenty three percent of the time and he's even hitting two eighty eight for a one point six f war Like the defense is okay, and he's kind of molding into more of a complete hitter. I'm not ready to call him a complete hitter yet, but I think the worry when he came up from the minor leagues is yes, the power is going to be there. But is he just going to punch out too much? Right? Is that? Is that just going to happen with CAGs? But no, CAGs has looked really, really solid, especially over the last two months, and is turning in an overall solid season. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always thought the bats of ball was underrated with him because people conflated it with horrible swing decisions. And so as the swing decisions has gotten better, you're seeing a guy that actually is a better feel to hit than you'd think start to shine through here and the power start to shine through. Cubs pitching staff just starting a round in a form because of the guys that they've added. But also, you know, I Monaga has been good overall, Peterson's giving them a couple quality starts, and it just seems like with Cabrera potentially coming back, Zephyr John out of the pen, Cubs bullpen is Eric sou mean, the Cub's deadline is really kind of helping, I think solidify what is a team that is becoming more easy to believe in by week.
Speaker 2: Just a really good team. Before we move on to my next five series to end it, Blue Jay's M two three seven, I really enjoy this channel. I'm new. Do they ever do they ever interact with the chat or no? We have right now doing it right now, glad, absolutely so. We got five series left. Also make sure it hit the like bund and the subscribe button five stars. If you're listening on audio podcast, p Our last Whoosh Okay. Next series up, Twins versus Brewers. Game one, Twins win eight to six. Jackson Troo led the game off of the homer and by the end of the second it was four O Brewers, but the Twins wouldn't go down without a fight. Josh Bell hit a two run shot, Kayln Culpepper hit his first career homer and his first hit, and Austin Martin tied it up with an RBI double. Excuse me. The sixth inning decided this one as RBI hits from Really Slewis and Josh Bell ended up being the difference. Moved to Game two, Brewers win four to three. Twins got all three runs in the second, then went quiet. Excuse me. Bryce Terrang tied it up at three in the fourth with a two run single, and then Andrew Vaughn brought home the eventual winning run in the eighth on an RBI single game three. Brewers win four to three in ten innings. Jackson Troo homer to lead off the game, then we went quiet until the fifth, where brooks Ley tied it up with a homer of his own. Brewers took command in the fifth as Jake Bauers homered and David Hamilton ripped an RBI double. In the next half inning, Cody Clemens rocked one to right center, his twentieth home run of the season, to tie it up at three all against Jacob Izzarowski, and after three quiet innings, we had to extras. In the bottom of the tenth, though Jake Bauers punched one to left to bring home Bryce Terrang to walk it off and take this series. But shout out Luis Laura made two insane catches in one game. Thankfully he's okay after the second one. He bashed into the you know fencing there in Milwaukee and also shadow Chicken Mazarowski for recording his two hundredth strikeout. But he went up against my twins, and you can't expect to shut out my twins like that arm you know this.
Speaker 3: One hundred and I mean a couple of big grabs were the difference between the Twins taking this series and not. I mean, they really hung in there in every game you win by two runs and then you lose the next two games four to three. And that's why the Brewers are so damn good though, Like when it's razor thin and it's a one run game, like they're gonna be tough to beat. I've said it, I said a lot on the call up, Like when I was in spring training at spring training in Arizona and just talking to some people and walking the backfields. I've always been a big fan of Louise Lara, but talking to some people in the Brewers org about Laura, every single person told me that guy's gonna win go gloves. Okay, it was just it was like it was like it was like a trained line for them, and I know it wasn't, but it's just everyone was in agreement that Laura is gonna win gold gloves and like, and it was always gold gloves with Anasts. It's been cool to see just immediately how good he's been defensively, and obviously he's a really good bats of ball guy. The offense is gonna come along, you know, as he gets more reps. We've seen flashes of it. He's a great player. That's gonna be a great asset for this team as well. With Cooper Pratt hitting the shelf, that does stink because another young guy that was really helping them. We saw Andrew Vaughn start a third.
Speaker 2: That was weird.
Speaker 3: Andrew Vaughn starting on third on Sunday. I won't pretend to have watched anything that he did defensively, but just interested to see if that continues. That was a fascinating development. I guess they could sub him out late, which they did in this past game. But the Twins slow start out of the you know, after the deadline came back to life a little bit. I thought this was a good series overall. That should be encourage The Brewers are just one of the baseball's best teams, and you're gonna have a hard time winning a series, especially when Misraski starts one of those games and the Brewers are at home, and that's unfortunately what happened. But this Brewers team is really good. I think they could use Cooper Pratt back sooner rather than later. I think it's a minor handy thing if I'm not taken, but in this Brewis team is just so good.
Speaker 2: They're so good and their bullpen is so good and I'm glad. Uh. John Richie on our YouTube live chat said, abniry Rebay had a hell of an eighth inning. Felt like he had to get five outs with his squeeze calls. Lol. And I know and he it was almost his fault that he didn't get one of those outs. He could have turned that double play when the ball came back to him and then he skipped it over. And I liked how the Brewers, I think it was his The pitching coach came out and kind of gave him a mound visit settled him back down. But abnery Rebay, man, the last time he's given up a run, give me a date. I think the last time adniry Rebay has given up a run.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess early. I'm going to guess like July tenth.
Speaker 2: June nineteenth, geez, twenty eight innings scoreless streak the longest in MLB right now, and abnery Rebay's got a two to five ERA on the season. In twenty twenty five, it was a one six seven, Like we can't forget Abner Ribey was sent down to the minor leagues with an ERA at seven in twenty twenty four and is completely rebounded. Brewers trusted at him and that trust has resulted into one of the best relievers in Major League Baseball. Anything else on the series before we move.
Speaker 3: On, I know Payn wants us to shout out to catch Mark Coley made former Marlins far man Mark Coley in double as see. This is one of the craziest catches for those watching on YouTube and if you're just listening on audio, look it up. So look at Mark Coley. He jumps to rob a home run. It pops out of his glove, but he falls on his back because he bounced off the wall. As the ball pops out of his glove, it's flying in the air. He lands on his back and then catches it again from his back. It's one of the best catches you will ever see with the Biloxi team. Double A for the Brewers, which is the best minor league team in baseball by the way, they are the Avengers for minor leagues.
Speaker 2: The hand eye coordination there is out of this world. I tweeted about it once I saw it too, and I said This is one of the best catches I've ever seen, because one thing to rob a home run, and it's another thing to be able to have the awareness where if you miss the robbing of the home run and you put the ball in the air and you're down on your back and you catch it like that. Yeah, for anybody listening on to audio, just to kick it up.
Speaker 3: Now he's like a bench player for them too, which is the funny part. But it's sick moment for Mark.
Speaker 2: Coley, no, no doubt about it. All right, Let's go over two Rockies versus Cardinals, Game one. Cardinals win three to two. Cardinals got all three runs in the second and the third, highlighted by any Vonne Herrera home run, and that was all they needed. Is Kyle Lahey allowed two runs over five innings and the Cardinals bullpen shut the door. Lay He has had a very underrated season, posting a three four five ELRA. Game two, Rockies win eight to six. Jake McCarthy led the game off with the homer and then they pushed the game to five to two on RBI hits from Cole krag Hunter Goodman and TJ. Rumfield and McCarthy Homeward again late as Jordan Walker, but it wasn't quite enough for Saint Louis. We moved to Game three, Cardinals went seven to four. Cardinals got out to a four to one lead after five innings, highlighted by a four hundred and forty one foot nuke from Alec Burlson, an absolute no doubterer. Rockies would tie it up in the next two innings on home runs from Brent Sullivan and Hunter Goodman, but RBI hits in the eighth from Weatherholt and Herrera sealed the series win for Saint Louis. Are On. One of my favorite futures from the beginning of the season was over sixty eight and a half wins, and I tweeted out, still have no idea how this team opened with a win total that started with a six. You and I both did the win totals at the beginning of the season. I'm pretty sure you had the over as well ten more wins to cash it. I was just a stupid line for a Cardinals team. I understand that they lost a couple of pieces, but they also got rid of sixty starts from Michaelis and Eric Fetti. The eight and a half wins was a stupid line. Thanks, thank you so much to our friends at bet MGM.
Speaker 3: Yeah a rare l for MGM. Well for us, Yeah, that's it was an awesome pick. And yeah, one thing when you look at this young offense and the pieces they had and who they could potentially have coming up, and it's all kind of come to fruition and then some I think even when you made that pick, I don't think you expected it to potentially be eclipsed in August, but odds are it could potentially, which is the amazing thing about where this team is at and I think where they're going to be, you know, next year, in the year after that with the present controllable talent that you can't fully credit him Boom four obviously, but then also now the farm system that they've cultivated a little bit as well. They did what they're supposed to do. They took two out of three. The Rockies are you know, always gonna be a little bit pesty. Jake McCarthy has been an awesome story. Again the Rockies. That was a savvy pick up for them going into this season. And now you extend maniac, you have McCarthy, you have some good outfielders for you. McCarthy is up to a one nineteen w RC plus sitting three to zero six on the season, and he's up to like a two point five f four s in turn of the three war season. I was a guy that was kind of left for scraps. They traded him for like a lot of ticket prospect that the d Backs did. Uh, And we're pretty much done with him, and I don't blame him. He was really bad last year. It's been really cool to see him turn around. And yeah, I understand that anyone can you know, start to pick it up at course, but I think it's just clear that Jake McCarthy is a better hitter this year and now another solid building block piece for them, who, by the way, has a one nineteen WRC plus away from course too.
Speaker 2: It was a battle of my futures. My biggest overall future was the Rockies over fifty two and a half wins. I also took him sixty plus wins at plus three seventy. I took him sixty five wins at plus nine point fifty. Now, based on my current projections and a lot of the fangrafts projections, armed they're projected to win about sixty four point two games. Right now, I think they get sixty five. Do you believe in ro October? Can we hit plus nine fifty arm?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that is crazy odds?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I do think they they eke it out.
Speaker 2: Let's get it out all right, Let's get it all right. Let's go over two. We got the Orioles and the Rangers. Game one, Rangers win two to one. Kobe Mayo's RBI single in the second was all Baltimore put up as the Jock Peterson two run homer ended up being the difference and the Orioles wasted a really strong start from Shane boz Is. That home run to Peterson was one of three hits he allowed that day over eight innings with nine shrikeouts. But I have Aldi on the other side pitched great pitching of the six only allowed one earned run. Game two, Rangers win five to one. Jacob de Gram shut it down through five innings with nine punchies, but he made one mistake and Jackson Holiday ripped it for a solo shot. But that was all she wrote for Baltimore as Jake Berger gave Texas the lead with an RBI single and Corey Seeger ripped a three run homer and the Orioles wasted another good outings. Kyle Bradish won six innings and allowed just one earned run, moved a game three, though Orioles get revenge, salvaged the series and win ten to five. And it was fireworks early as Baltimore jumped all over Kumar Row for five runs in the first two winnings, highlighted by homers from Pete Alonso and Colton Kowser and Brendon Nimo would answer with a three run shot in the third, but then Jordan Montgomery came in for Texas his first appearance in twenty twenty four. Remember him, you go over that well. Four innings, three runs, Alonzo Homard again, Tyler O'Neil Homard, and this one was over. Rangers won't go down without a fight. Arm in this division, and.
Speaker 3: I think they're dead, like it is terrible. They just bounce back.
Speaker 2: I still believe in this lineup, like Ezekiel Durant has been one of twenty five player by war this year. You got Sieger back, you got Langford, you got Nemo, you have Jake Berger having a great season. You got Jock Peterson setting the table at the front like it's a good offense and it's so funny. Though, when you think Rangers, at least the recent versions of the Rangers, maybe outside of their twenty twenty three World Series run, is you think De Gram and Evaldi and a bullpen with not a lot of names but really good production. This year, Gram has got an ra in your four. You've always got an Era above four. Mackenzie Gore has been a disaster, but they've hit a little bit. I don't know it's their numbers are I don't know what to think about them. What am I doing trying to analyze the Rangers right now? I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's literally impossible. But this was an encouraging series. And I will say too, like this Oriels team's playing better ball of late, and like I didn't think they played badly this year. The bats were a little bit slow, but it wasn't like they're playing you know there they were opposite of dud Arms. You had to face Jacob de Gram and then you had to face an eighty Evaldy. But I thought Shane Boz has been fantastic, Yeah, fastic. All of a sudden last fourteen starts eighty five ningc spitch to a two eight six era and this was a you know, a cgl essentially for bos eight innings like they went the distance the obviously, it just just was unfortunately a game where they couldn't get anything going offensively. Tyler O'Neil has picked it up a little bit over the last couple of weeks, but it's just the games where they don't have it. It's like, oh for three Gunner Henders, no for four, ped alwan so holiday in the three hole. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Oh he's been good though. Now he's their only bat right now outside of ped Alwanso. I mean Gunner Henderson, Dude, what we talked about Mookie Betts Gunner, it's the same conversation. Made what I thought was two costly errors on one play. They gave it a single on the read, but his throw home was wider. I forget. It's one of the most.
Speaker 3: Shocking bad seasons too. I can remember we talked about cal Rowlean. Obviously that's like as shocking dot com. But I thought Gunner was going to make a leap to be in the MVP two conversation this year and instead, it's been a massive step back where it's to work. So he's hitting two thirteen crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on crazy. Anything else on the series, No, not much.
Speaker 3: It's just one of those.
Speaker 2: One of those. Let's go over to the Rays taking on the Mariners in C Game one, raised win two to one. Jar Rasmussen wants his name arm included in the Cy Young combo as he continues to dominate. This time it was seven shutty, which is two hits loud in eight strikeouts. His Hera's down to two, seven to five, Johnny DeLuca and Jonathan Aronda homeward and that ended up being enough. It's Julio homer late, but Seattle falls just short. Also shout out the old timer home run. Derby got footage of Etro, fifty two year old Intro hitting the A T Moobile Ballpark. I remember quick story about Intro. I was working for the Yankees and it was one of my first internships, and he was there taking batting practice and I watched Etro hit eleven straight homers into the short Remember this s towards the end of his career, and I was just like, this is the greatest hitter ever. I mean He's control is once in a generation and he's still doing it at fifty two. And I feel like every year we see a highlight of him pitching somewhere else, like pitching not going like you were just born to play baseball.
Speaker 3: I really wish we had Buke Savant and like data for like peak each row, because I think the combinate, like the back to Ball numbers, it would be so much fun to look at.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. Let's move to Game two, Raise win three to two. Josh Naylor and Victor Mason Junior traded homers early, but Richie Pelasio smacked a two runs single to give the Rays the lead and the eventual win. Naylor homer late but fell just short again. George Kirby four Seattle tossed five innings one run ball, but a Tampa bullpen game on the other side was nails moved. Game three, can Seattle salvage? Nope? Raise win four to one. Cool Young got Seattle on the board first with an RBI single, but that was the lone run. Ian Seymour would allow, tossing six innings with seven strikeouts, and the Raised bullpen shut the door and the Rays got their runs of RBI hits from Yandhi Diaz, Cedric Mullens, and Liam Hicks and Emerson Hancock for Seattle. He allowed two runs in four and two thirds, but he did allow nine hits. Arm The Seattle Mariners have now fallen to fifty six and sixty three. They're four and a half games out of a wild card, or excuse me, four and a half games back of the division, three and a half back out of the wild card. They're technically still in it. But I've said this team is dead for a while, and I just think they are, Like, yeah, my opinion has not changed, just unfortunately, and like I don't want this. I don't want to be right about the Mariners being dead when the Mariners are playing good baseball, Like I want someone in the American League to step up. But unfortunately, I feel like my take just continues to be validated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just not and it's not looking like it's gonna get much better anytime soon. I mean, they they can't hit. They scored four runs. Yeah the whole series. It's not like the Rays we're lighting it up. But the Rays they have good pitching. But like, come on, like it's just it's in here at home, and I know it's not not the best place for you to hit, but at the end of the day, like I think they've figure that out. Like you don't see the splits the same way I feel like that we've seen in the best I just I don't know when it's going to happen. At this point. It feels like it should have happened by right about now. If the Mariners are going to get going and if it's four runs in three games, I just you've got to figure that this clubhouse is starting to just feel the weight of it and wonder if they're ever going to be able to break out of it. And I just don't think they will. Taylor Ward's not going to be able to save you, unfortunately, but again they still have time because of what the American League is. But I think the Rays, I mean, even in a day in a series where they didn't have everything offensively, although William Hicks has been such a good addition for them already with the at batsy he's given the lengthening that he's brought to this lineup, but they just the pitching staff just kind of put their foot on them and didn't let them move and that was it. And it just feels like it's not that hard to do that to the Mariners right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Dan Wilson's job is certainly in jeopardy after oh yeah, this season. But shout out the Rays. Such a good team, seventy one and forty seven record, that's better than the Dodgers. Yep.
Speaker 3: And you know Rasmus and again, dude, he's he is. I want him on the mound as bad as I want just about anybody right now. He is one of the best in the sport.
Speaker 2: And the bullpen has been so good, and with Liam Hicks in the lineup elongates it a little bit more. And you still got Junior, still got Arondie, you still got Yondi Diaz and Chandler Simpson as a higher ops in Vladimergaro Junior. So that's a stat for everybody. Razy. All right, Let's go over to my last series, and we had the Astros taking on the San Diego Padres. I'm just checking too, because the Sunday night game is on right now. We'll talk about that in a second Game one. Astros win six to three. Houston got all four runs they needed early as Cam Smith, hilmert Walker, and Jordon had RBI singles, but the Padres would answer. Jackson Merril stays hot, ripped an RBI triple and shit. Gavin Sheets brought in another on a double player, and then Tatis homer, but then Cam Smith homerd again. This thing was over. Game two, Padres win three to two. Michael King outdueled Peter Lambert because he tossed six innings of one run ball with is three hits and six punch outs. Jackson Merrill stayed hot with a homer and brought home another on a bloop that was scored a force out Taylor Tremmell Homard, but it wasn't quite enough. So Astros won one. Padres win one, and currently right now the Astros are up two to one, but it's in the second inning. What's been going on there? On Sunday Night Baseball, Christian Javier gave up run, Randy Vasquez gave up two runs. How'd they get it? It looks like Taylor.
Speaker 3: Marshall homer, Varsha and another Merril homer, so that actually makes it easy to have an immediate takeaway Merrill's back, like I think Jackson Merrill is back, and that is huge. I think no matter what happens in this game, this is these are two teams that have been re really tough to read up and down, disappointing more than they've been like I would say, exciting, but have hung around enough and now I really feel like at the right time, are both playing some of the best ball that they've played, more so the Podgers, but even the Astros, they're playing some of the best ball that they've played. You get your new addition barshow Homering with the two run shot and then again with Jackson Merrill picking it up after we've seen Machada pick it up, after we've seen Tatis pick it up. I think both of these teams are going to have nice finishes to the season. Where they finished will be interesting, but I think both are going to play continue to play some of their best ball that they played all year down the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: Jackson Merrill since July first, thirty four games, nine homers, five steals, He's slashing three eleven three forty three, five point fifty three with a one forty seven WRC plus, and again that does not include his home run tonight, So consider that ten home runs in his last thirty five games. Yeah, I'm out. Fernando Tachis Junior one thirty two WRC plus, five homer, seven steals, Manny Machado seven homers in his last thirty three games for a one thirty WRC plus. It's so nice to watch the Padres when we can actually watch some offense, because this team gets real shitty to watch. None of them are hitting, but when those three guys are hitting, when Ty Francis continues to hit the way that he is, like now you see the vision. And this Padres team is of course going to compete, but the Astros at the end of the day are winning right now. They might end up winning the series, and they continue to play great baseball, led by Jordan Alvarez and Jeremy Pania, who are just Jordon's the best hitter in baseball currently right now, Aaron Judge on the shelf, and then Jeremy Pania is as good of an offensive shortstop as there is in the game right now. That's not even talking about his Gold Glove caliber defense. He's just a really good player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think getting Pania back in this line because Houston can be one of those frustrating lineups too, where you're like, oh my gosh, just get it back around on please, but getting paying it back in the way that he can set the tone, you know, ahead of yord On has been awesome, and even though Varshow hasn't had a great year, I just I like the spark that he can bring and of course the golove that you're gonna get there. I want to see. And I know that cam Smith has just been hot and cold and it's been better of late. I just feel like I watched Cam Smith start to pick it up. Oh like there we go, he went deep today, and then he doesn't play for three days, and it's just like I know that they're he hasn't earned maybe completely the right to play every day. But I just think, I think this is a guy that you need to fully get going to reach your ceiling, and I'd love to see him playing more. But I also understand that, you know, some of the other guys that have been filling in Yah points have been pretty good, and Taylor Trummel has been pretty good, But like, I think there's gonna be a certain point where, you know, Lamont Wade Juniors at bats aren't worth eating into. You know, Cam Smith opportunities we'll seeing, and Wade's been swinging it pretty well, but I just I want to see Smith playing more. I'm obviously biased. I've always liked the guy as a player, but yeah, I think both these teams are gonna play well. I think that the pitching additions have not been there for the Padres just yet. Right Mais got bombed, you know, but before this weekend, and Ray didn't have the best start ever. But I still think with especially King throwing the way that he asked, I think this is still going to be a team in the Padres that are going to be you know, I think tough to slow down.
Speaker 2: No, I totally agree with you. And I'm just trying to think who would I rather sit the bench if Cam Smith is going to get more outfield work between Lamont Wade Junior and Taylor Trammel, And it's hard to decide because both of them have a one to ten w RC plus and both of them have been really solid. From Rocky Fresh, can we give a shout out to Taylor Tchamell's been really good again, He's been really solid, and I feel like that's what's making the Astros good, because sometimes when the Astros are bad, it's because Jordon and Jeremy Payney are the only ones hitting in the lineup. When you're getting consistent performances from a Christian Walker, from a Taylor Trammel, from a Lamont Way junior, even Janer Diaz has had some big hits lately. Now you start to see what kind of a juggernaut type lineup the Ashros can put out there. And it's a good problem to have, right because if you're going to give Cam Smith more run, it means you're taking out a one to ten WRC plus bat. So again, you never know, right.
Speaker 3: And he's such a good defender, so you could if you want to ride the high hand like at least they have some options here and it's definitely better than it was. Uh So, yeah, I like this team. I think they're going to hang around and uh both of them. But I think what's really interesting is what how TUV do you get down the stretch? What Christian Walker do you get down the stretch? What yard as you get I think he's ok. Peredes is going to be that guy and he's already settled back in and been that guy for them, He's gonna still turn in a three plus win season. But yeah, I think both these teams are playoff teams, so it's gonna be fun to watch.
Speaker 2: It will be, and we'll continue to watch here on The Just Baseball Show. Hopefully everybody enjoyed this episode of The Just Baseball Show. One last ask. If you did enjoy it, smash the like button, subscribe button, and if you're listening on audio A five so review is the best way to help the show for free. But if you want joined the best baseball group chat in the world, I'm telling you it is so much fun, even post deadline as we get ready for the playoffs. You can find the link to our discord in the episode description. And if you want to get yourself from Just Baseball merch Arm and I rocking two different hats. I got this one, which is my personal favorite, but I also love the roepat that was the original Just Baseball hat. Whichever one you like better, you can find it in the episode description. I'm also sneaky wearing the Just Baseball Yankee shirt. We have a Just Baseball logo for all thirty teams. Remember to check out our merch store I also want to give a special shout out to podcast P for brilliant producing. Once again, thank you to Mark Jordan two one two two great show. Appreciate you my friend for arm Laton, I'm Peter Apple. See you Tuesday, one thirty pm Easter Live. You're on YouTube. And with that, thank you everybody.