Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 1: In a Frida Egg Friday egg, the dreaded Friday Friday fridagg Frida Egg Bride Egg, Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and another major championship is upon us. It is the PGA Championship week. Uh. We are gonna be heading to Valhalla. I'm actually not gonna be head into Valhalla, but the world of professional golf is heading to Valhalla. Kyle Porter, You're not heading to Valhalla, but we're gonna go there in our minds today, get ready for the PGA Championship with our typical five Things preview Kyle Porter of CBS Sports as well as the normal Sporter a newsletter that's well worth your subscription. And you know, my favorite thing about having a free newsletter is telling people if they don't like it, I'll refund them. But Kyle, welcome on and thank you for joining me and chatting about the PGA Championship. Are you ready for the second major of the year.
Speaker 2: I am. I actually am going to Valhalla, but I'm going I'm going a little bit later. I'm going I won't be there until Wednesday week of so just later than the normal. I'm doing great. I'm very excited about the second major of the year. I feel bad for you because you had for your first five things about the majors this year, a Master's champion, a former PGA Tour winner, and now you have to deal with me for the second one. So I apologize for that.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I'm going for variety, different for you know, people that excel at different things. You know, we could, we could have a little bit more fun than than the lead analysts that CBS can have on the pod.
Speaker 2: You know, you're that's true. You're trying to You're trying to make the variance between the handicaps of people that you're having on as wide as as as humanly possible.
Speaker 1: Well, I always enjoy our conversations. I don't for you know, you know, there's this noomaclas, this uh, this belief that you have to be so accomplished to talk about any sport. You know, I don't think that's necessarily a true statement. I think that no matter what your skill level on the golf course, you know, it's it's fair if you put the work in. And I think you know, one of the things I respect about you, Kyle, is you put in so much work in terms of preparation, research, and you know, like I always like seeing your tweets. I'm like, God, he's grinding on this stuff. So I think if you, if you are a professional, which I would say that you are very much a professional, uh, you know, in terms of a golf media personality, then it doesn't matter how you play golf, it actually probably helps you if you If you uh, if you aren't as good, sometimes you think about things differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I appreciate that. I think I think it does help to be to come from outside of that sort of world. It gives you a different viewpoint. I think, what do you think about when we'll get into the I know the five things here real quick, But what do you think about when players, whether it's golfers or you see this. I feel like in basketball and football a lot where players complain about what media sometimes say or write about them. They're like, oh, well, you never you never did this, you never played you don't understand like what do you have you noticed that? And like what do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I do think there is some of that in golf. I you know, I think like we're seeing a buddy of mine that I used to play pick up basketball with just wrote this book about out D three basketball players who are are basically like running the NBA. There's like a way was this a thread, Ben Catherine, Yeah, Ben Cathlin, that was amazing. Yeah, But so he wrote this book and it's like all about D three basketball players that are now like there's this like huge amount of people that are running the game of basketball that didn't play professional basketball. And I think there's an aspect of when you listen, like in golf, you're never going to understand what it feels like to have a putt for three million dollars or you know, a major championship. But when you're short on skill, you know what that usually usually makes people do. It makes them think work harder and think more about how they can get somewhere right. Like, So I think that's the flip side of that argument where you need to have felt that well, like you probably haven't thought about the sport as much as somebody who played D three golf who was always wondering why they weren't as good as you know, the phenom, and because for the phenom, it's it's kind of like simple. It's like what what DJ says about fades. It's like you want to fade it. Make sure you fade it, you know. For for someone not as skilled, they have to really think about like the technical aspects of how they're trying to hit a fade. They can't just naturally do it. So I think there is like a I think we're seeing it in across sports is that you know, being a great player doesn't mean that you're a great executive or a great analyst or a great mind. And I think, you know, we're seeing it come. I mean, like, no, laying Up's doing the simulcast this week. That's I think that's a huge step for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the thing that gets lost sometimes in a lot of like not just golf, but basketball or baseball or whatever, is those of us who are talking or writing or thinking about the game for a living, we're obviously not comparing you to uh, Like we're not comparing I'm not comparing uh been like uh let's say, let's just say Ben Griffin. Yeah, I'm not comparing his game to mine, like obviously he's like five standard deviations better than I am at golf, I'm comparing you to Rory and more Cowa and Brooks, right, because that's like I'm talking about this subset of of of people, not like I think sometimes as analysts, and this happens on TV a lot, you're like, like analysts or or broadcasters say, oh, these guys are all so good. It's like we have obviously like compared to you and I, they're unbelievable. But that's not the game that we're playing. We're comparing them to each other. And I think when you when you look at it through that context and through that lens, as long as you're fair and you're backing up. I was talking to a caddy one time. It was like, hey, Brandle, you know what, he says some crazy stuff sometimes, but he also does a ton of research and I kind of respect that. Like I I I think, as long as you're fair and you're and people understand you're comparing players, whether it's in the NBA or golf to each other, I just I don't buy into the whole way. You you've never been in this position. It's like, yeah, of course that's why I'm sitting here writing about it instead of playing. I uh yeah, exactly. I mean, like nobody would choose to be writing or talking about a sport versus being the athlete and the arena doing it right. So there's always and that's what happens with the retired players. I think like there's always that there's kind of that friction between you know, like the friction with Shack and what Charles Barkley, how they just let it, let it fly.
Speaker 1: In the modern players, you know, like just say I mean they just they just let it go. But it's like there are different areas like of their lives, right, I don't know. I want to be clear though I said this. I met just said a tweet out about this. I think you're the you're the ultimate member guest partner. Nope, I've never played with the player of your skill level that has the sheer power and the explosiveness that you have. I mean, if if you're if you're an uncapped member guest situation where you don't have the handicapped just uh discrepancy, you want to win bring Kyle Porter because you're got you got a guy that's got three thirty in the back. We we uh, we can put my address in the in the in the show show people people can send me their their club and I'm well, ope will travel, I will.
Speaker 2: Will get an RV. We'll just take the family on the country and just hit hit up some clubs this summer.
Speaker 1: That would actually be a great book idea. It's like I hit the member guest circuit with my entire family in an RV and I played all these all these you know, all these different clubs memver guests.
Speaker 2: That'd be amazing. Yeah, that would be insane. But yeah, I'm I'm very very available.
Speaker 1: All right. That's that's you know what the PGAF l Halla gets. It gets an intro in about you know, golf media and everything. Just a couple of housekeepings. The last hosted twenty fourteen. Obviously, that was Rory's last major. Rory beats Phil Ricky, Hendrik Stenson's on that leader board. Other major championships it's hosted. It hosted the ninety six PGA Mark Brooks beat Kenny Perry, the infamous two thousand PGA where Tiger and Bob May had their Showdown duel, one of the most memorable tournaments in I mean forever, that iconic moments. So golf course wise, not a ton to be excited about. But we've seen this with the PGA countless times. You know, golf course, you know, can certainly help lift a championship, but is not dependent on a championship. So, Kyle, we're doing our five things about the PGA. What is your first thing or anything. It doesn't have to be an order. None of mine are in order. I got about seven or eight written down. I'm gonna I'm gonna riff off yours here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got I've got six written down. I'm gonna start actually with uh, I'm gonna start with the Live Boys, all right, and this is one of mine. I think that you know, we're at an interesting This shouldn't be that big of a deal because I think the PGA of America has done a good job of putting a good field together. I think one thing that gets lost. I was talking about this with somebody the other day. A lot of these guys that got invited got these special exemptions from the PJA of America into the event that are on live. They were in the tournament last year too, and you could argue, like, well they still had they were still top hundred and OWGR back then. It's like, well, yeah, but they were also like Taylor Gooch got into the field, got an exempt, got invited into the field last year, just like he did this year. So I don't know that it's this grand statement by the PGA of America, but I do think because of what Gooch has sort of said, there's this weird spotlight on the sort of middle to lower tier of live player, the guys that aren't Brooks and Rom and Cam Smith, who have all played well at this tournament in the past couple of years. There's a spotlight on the Patrick Reids, on the Taylor Gooches, and and I just I think that's I don't know if it's fair, but it's brought about because they talk a lot of trash about you know, we need to be in the field where we're this should be a thing, and it's like, well, okay, let's see how we do, and in the first made kind of the first really open big field major of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with this. I think it's actually like a moment for the other majors, whether it's the US Open, the Open Championship, they get a chance to kind of sit back and see what happens, and they get to make their decisions. And I don't think it's necessarily like a smart practice to react off of you know, what happens one week of the year. But you know, there's only four of these majors, so there isn't like an opportunity to have like a wide ranging sample size to to really like make a decision off of. But like in the terms of like Burmester Gooch, you know, people that you know don't technically qualify if they play well, I have to think it will help their case for other exemptions into whether it's the Open or the US Open, if they play poorly. I don't know if it'll happen negative impact, but I think it will be a like thing. It's like, you know, hey, they didn't play well. We still have this problem where it's like a top heavy competition over there, the bottom of lives really bad. I mean, I don't think Anthony Kim is helping the bottom of Live. That being said, she want Kim be the worst player and Live history. Maybe cut it. Last year's PGA.
Speaker 2: The worst player and live history. What a statement.
Speaker 1: I don't know. James Piatt I saw, I meant to post this on Instagram. I saw James piot was like duking it and out on the Minor League Tour the other day, and I just thought, man from the High Flyers Phil Mickelson's team to minor league Tour in less than a year, that's that's tough. That's got to be a tough transition doing one day South Florida events against many tour pros after you were you know, playing for twenty million dollars a tournament with fifty four guys or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's that's brutal, you know. I think the PGA Championship is also sort of uniquely positioned to invite some of these live guys, right because the Masters is obviously very small and has very specific and unique criteria that opens. Are they set aside and right they set aside like half the field right for qualifying in, and the PGA is is like the one that the bottom what fifth of the field fourth of the field is kind of just I don't want to say filled in guys randomly, but it's just it's just like kind of filled in with whatever they decide. Remember at Kiola when Ricky Ricky Fowler hadn't qualified and he got a special exemption, and you're like, well, that felt like a sponsor exemption almost right where where it's it's it was almost like a tour event where you get these sponsored exemptions, which I've come to really dislike. Specifically it's a signature events. I think they're I think it's just not a great thing. That's a whole different conversation.
Speaker 1: But the PGA Championship is very should we talk about signature events?
Speaker 2: No, No, I do not want to. Uh. The PGA Championship is very uniquely positioned to kind of have the loudest voice in some ways on the live debate. And I think they've I think they've handled it like fine, I think they've I don't. I don't think they've invited anybody egregious. And I think who they've invited has been like, yeah, if if this was everybody was still together, these are probably the players that would be in anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think there is like, uh, I mean, these guys deserve to be in the field. Yeah, A lot of them. I mean it's and I think we need to like we've gotten to a point with professional golf where you know, it's so turned up on side upside down a lot of times. What the reasoning behind anything it should be is does this make sense? And I think this does make sense? So I think that we've gotten too far down like the does this work? Does this work?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And it should be? Hey, like this is this is the way it should you know, this is this is the way it should be. All right, before we go on, let's talk about our sponsor, Bushnell. Bush Nell has a new rangefinder. They're illegal. Rangefinders are legal this week at the PGA. It's always an interesting twist. I remember when it came out, it was such a big deal, but it is become, you know, kind of moot as it's gone on. People rarely talk about it. But do you know which rangefinder is going to be used the most this week? Bushnell? That's because it's used by ninety eight point nine percent of tour pros or ninety eight point six I'm sorry, I overestimate ninety eight point six of PGA tour pros are using that. So you know, when you see the guy, the caddies gunning yardages, or the player's gunning yardages, you know it's gonna probably be a Bushnell. Their latest and greatest technology is the pro X three plus. This one is the normal high level performance of Bushnell, but it also gauges the wind, so it'll tell you the speed and direction of the wind for all your shots, which is super beneficial when you're playing at a place that's got trees and you get a little disoriented about ways of holes are turning. All you have to do is connect the X three plus rangefinder to the Bushnell Mobile app and you calibrate the the the unit and you'll get up to date win data. So this has been the best rangefinder for a long time. They were kind of the big innovators in rangefinders and they continue to innovate. So if you want to learn more about the new pro X three plus, visit Bushnellgolf dot com. That's Bushnellgolf dot com. And now let's get back to Kyle Porter. All right, First, my first thing I alluded to it to earlier. We're not quite at ten years of major championships. We're too short of ten years just because of the change of the schedule, but we are ten years removed from Rory's last major win and it happened at this exact tournament, Valhalla, the PGA. I mean, this is just a crazy story. I mean, if you go back ten years, like, who would imagine that I prepared a couple things from twenty fourteen, you're ready for ready to get in the time machine and go back to twenty four I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if I that feels like I mean, personally, it just feels like a lifetime. I mean I only had like two kids then.
Speaker 1: All right, So a couple things from twenty fourteen. It was like the it was really when Instagram started to pop up as like a real thing. So Instagram was really taking hold in society, and you know how you know that Instagram was taking hold of what was happening then, of the filters, the ice Bucket Challenge. Oh gosh, do you remember the ice Bucket Challenge?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was the that was the Rory and what's her name? Uh, Megan, Megan Markle? Oh Yeah you remember that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do, I do. I didn't even put that in there. Unbelievable, So yeah, Ice Bucket Challenge twenty fourteen. Other thing Hunger Games was really big in twenty fourteen. Wow, Taylor Swift's nineteen eighty nine album came out One Direction was a big thing. Still.
Speaker 2: Then, I think Nile Horn's on tour more than some guys that have their card or on tour. He's everywhere. Bill Cosby happened in twenty fourteen. Wow.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think this is obviously outside of You've got Scottie. I think this is the big story, right. You got this guy that was seemingly headed to ten and yep, I don't think it's crazy to see him get to six, seven, eight, possibly, you know, he ripped off four so quickly and in I think he's a better player now than he was then. But to have him ten years removed, is it's to be the number one thing to watch here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's I think there's three primary storylines at this event. You mentioned two of them at Scotti, Rory, and then I think Brooks going for six is I would throw in there as well. But the Rory thing, you know, I think the thing you know don't come to you and I for like objective Rory takes, but I think the thing that is worthy of critique for him is not It's not the last couple of years. I think people looked at at St Andrews and they looked at Lacc and they're like, dude, can't close. And that's not the takeaway. The takeaway from that is that from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty one, he gave himself so so so few chances to win major championships, and that that was like his age. I think twenty six to thirty two major run, man, that's your like major winning Historically, that's like a really great time maybe toward the like into your early thirties, to win major championships, and he gave himself almost no chances to do so. Twenty eighteen Masters kind of there might have been one or two others that were sort of in there, but I think that has been the real disappointment for him of the last ten years. Is that twenty fifteen to twenty twenty one run.
Speaker 1: You hear it in is when he talks about it, you know, like I'm giving myself so many more chances now. I think, like the thing that's challenging with Rory you when you look at this is I think a lot of people and it's another one that I think is a storyline here. But you look at someone like Jordan Speith and you're like, maybe he just played his best golf at age twenty three, you know, twenty two that I don't think you could look at Rory and the player he is now, the way he can play a lot of different yep, And I don't think you can look at it and say, like, you know what, he was just way better then, because I think he's better now. Which is the weird thing about this whole ten year drought, is that he has improved as a player. It's not It's not the typical golf story of like, oh, he had it then and he doesn't have it now. And I think I think there's like a one of the things, if I really I think he's giving himself more chances now, but by he is missing a little bit of the old Rory that put the gas pedal down and just went yeah.
Speaker 2: Fall Hall is a great example of that, right. It was Phil and Ricky fistbumping and Rory's pissed and Sean Sean Zaki is the tern. The other day he was so addicted to club toworreling that he would that he even Club torel bad shots and you're like, yeah, that was that was who he was. And he's talked about that, like he said, I think he did a Q and A with Jeff Shackelford that was really good for the quad. Yeah that was a Yeah, it was excellent. He said that was golf was my life, Like that was that was it. And he's like that's not true anymore, which I think is something that I've always it's hard to reconcile, right because I admire that about him as a person, that that's not his entire existence like some of these guys, but I think it can maybe prohibit him from you know, being what he was at Kiwa and what he was at you know, Congressional like some of these like six seven shot major championship wins. What's crazy? And you you've talked about this a lot elsewhere. The idea of being that good for that long that you could that you would even be a favorite to win majors ten years apart is really crazy. And I think if he's able to do it, like let's say he gets just six or seven even that's one of the I don't know if it's feel good in terms of his Phil Micholson good in terms of the longevity and the endurance there, But to me, it's it's kind of in the ballpark of something like that, where it's it's so hard to be that good for that long, and I think that's been a pretty underrated part of his career so far.
Speaker 1: The longevity is unbelievable, especially in this era where yeah, I was playing with I was playing golf with someone who's probably going to be on PGA Tour next year yesterday, and they were talking about, like listen, like everybody just wants to make money and be done, you know, and I think, like to have that long career now it used to be so much like, well, I'm going to keep making money because I want to retire to this lifestyle, like especially right now in pro golf. Like you see, like the money these guys, I mean, Victor Hovlin made what fifty million dollars or something.
Speaker 2: He twenty six, He could be done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that used to be an extraordinary career he did in a year.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The with the money that's there, it's not. Longevity now is a combination of competitiveness, passion for the game, and talent, which it's never been that because you know, when Hogan or Nicholas was playing, you were playing no matter what as long as you could to maximize those earnings. Right, Like, these guys are getting to retirement sums of money so early in their career, like retire and live life exactly how you want to live life. Yeah, sums of money. It's so early that, like the longevity thing, it's it's more impressive now than it's ever been.
Speaker 2: I agree. I mean I used to say this about so I used to cover college basketball college football, and people used to say, like, oh, those college kids, they just love the game. And it's like, no that, I mean, maybe they do. The guy that really loves such a cliche for sure. But the guy that really loves the game is Kevin Durant, is Steph Curry, is Lebron who have made a collective seven hundred and eighty million dollars just on the court or whatever the number is, and are still grinding and playing and getting after it. Like, those are the guys that really love the game. And I think I think that Rory is one of those types of guys that really does. I mean, his his like what he values is different now at thirty five than at twenty five. But I think his love for the game is even greater if that, I think those two things can coexist, and I think that they do with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, what's the next one of your list?
Speaker 2: So I've got is Wyndham Clark for real? And so I think there's a couple of things here. One of cars the number three player in the world, and I don't know that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if people can we just adjust that down to four for the just for the live community that will yell about John Rahm.
Speaker 2: Okay, four, he's a top five player. And I don't know how many of the live community is listening to Andy Johnson, co Ar or Friday.
Speaker 1: Probably a lot of them. Hater's hate is a is a wonderful listening mechanism for sure.
Speaker 2: Hate listen. Uh. Wyndham Clark has had I mean, if not for Scotty Scheffler, he could have four wins this year, right, Yeah. And I think that you guys talked about this a little bit off and on, Like if you look at the last eighteen months, like you go back to the beginning of twenty twenty three, he's been one of like unequival one of the three or four best guys in the world from not only the consistency but also the play at major championships. And I think that, you know, people don't love him for whatever reason, whether they think that he's I don't know. There are several reasons maybe to not like him. But I think we're kind of underrating what he is or could be. And this is the type of this is actually the type of setup Andy at a PGA that I think fits him better than like a US Open, which he wont at lacc I. He's so his his I was looking at the numbers the other day. He averages like one eighty six ball speed off the tee or one eighty five. Maybe it's something insane, and at a big ballpark like Balhalla, it just seems like that's the type of thing that plays into his hands very well. If he can keep driver on the planet, I think that's the one thing where it's like, okay, lic is maybe a little bit more open, so maybe that helps him out. But I just I think he's in the middle, potentially in the middle of a run that we'll look back on and say, man, that was that was really impressive. And it got overshadowed a little bit by all the LIVEPGA tour stuff and by Scotti Schufflor.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break to talk about our partner, Goodwalk Coffee. They are they are a big time partner. We actually collaborated with Goodwalk to make a couple of coffee blends specifically for you. So we we created a two blends, the fried Egg Blend and the Shotgun Start Blend. These are great coffees that are you know, kind of our partnership with Goodwalk. So you know good Walk just so you guys know, it was launched in twenty nineteen and their goal was to bring freshly roasted, specially grade coffee to those of us that have a passion of coffee and golf. So listen, this is great stuff. It is. It's super easy. You ordered it online, It's roasted like right around when you order it and ship directly to your door. With that, you can purchase our blends. You can subscribe to our blends. If you do a subscription, use the promo code fried Egg at checkout and you'll save thirty percent off your first order and then ten percent on all future orders. If you want to try this coffee out. If you want to try out the Fried Egg Blend or the Shotgun Start Blend or any of their other offerings, you can also use that promo code fried Egg at checkout to save twenty percent off your entire order. A little bit about the two blends. This is a great way to support us and what we're doing. Obviously we're partnered up with them here, so it's kind of our product. This is our coffee product. The Fried Egg Blend is a bright and vibrant organic coffee roasted to a medium light level. The beans are coming from Central and South America and they're blended naturally with coffee from Ethiopia to create a balance of flavors of milk, chocolate, and vibrant berries. The Shotgun Start Blend that's a little bit more for that the people that like dark coffee, the darker coffee. It is your classic medium dark roast. It's from Central and South America and the beans are matched with Papa New Guinea for a perfectly balanced coffee with sweet flavors of caramel and cloves with a velvety texture. So if you guys are interested in this, go to Goodwockcoffee dot com. You can shop the our offerings there. I would I'm personally a big fan of the fried egg blend, so check that out and get our coffee. The subscription makes it super easy. Let's get back to Kyle Porter. Now, do you think that people aren't Wyndham people? And I think this goes with Scotty Shuffler too, because those guys are just not Rory McElroy or Jordan Speith. Do you think or even I think even like John Rahm, Like, do you think that is the more the the precipice of like, why people aren't that into them is because it's just they aren't the guys that they really want to win.
Speaker 2: Possibly by that, do you mean they weren't prodigies like because because yeah, Wyndham and Scotty were both very very good amateurs, but they weren't like Rory was a prodigy, right.
Speaker 1: And Speed was a prodigy.
Speaker 2: Rom was up there too, and so it's almost like they they they've come in a little bit later, even though it's still early by most PGA, by most professional golf career standards, and people are like, wait a second, who are you again? Is that like is that what you're getting a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I just think that there's there's like five golfers that people are fans of. It's like Tiger phil Ry, Jordan Speeth, Yeah, John Daly, I think is he playing? Is he? Is he still in this?
Speaker 2: I think so, I don't know. I I look up the field, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's only a handful of players that have real fans. Yeah, so I think when anyone outside of those people win, it's like I like, I don't like this guy, yeah, or like nobody cares about him. I think it'd be a hard thing to be one of the ten best players in the world at something and realize that like the greater interests of the sport doesn't really care about you.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this was such a thing in tennis for so long, right where you could have been the fifth best guy and people are like what who you don't even know?
Speaker 1: Like it was like Andy Murray and who else was the you know outside it was.
Speaker 2: Like it was like stan Lavrinka, I can't ever say his last name, Uh yeah, the Potrow, Martin del Potrow, right, and just guys. Then you're like, this guy's literally like one of the best that's ever done this, and.
Speaker 1: People are like, where's he from again, because the other three are such larger than life figures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's I think there's for sure some of that. I think. I don't know, man, I think about I think a lot about why do I actually think about this question of why do people? Why do fans like a specific person more than another? I think about that idea a lot, and I think there's some intangibles there that you just like, a like almost like an aura or a presence. I'm reading this this Mickey Man biography right now, that's very good by this woman named Jane Levy. I hope I'm pronouncing that right. But there's a great quote in there where one of his teammates said his aura had an aura, and I think that's true with some of these guys. It's like, well, what like Jordan Speed, there's nothing special about you know. You look at Jordan Speith and you don't think like, you know, you look at Tiger and you're kind of like, okay, I get it, Like he like from breaking some race barriers, from being like a let like all this stuff. Speed is just like a normal looking white dude that's really that was really good at golf at a young age. But there's some there's something intangible there that's impossible to explain that I feel like plays into the way that we think, root for and and talk about some of these guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I would agree with that. And then you know, to your greater Windham point, I mean, the guy's been incredible, and I agree that this is a great fit for him. And if you're you know, I always like to like, it's like the back of the napkin. If you just wrote down your favorites here, I think it would go Scheffler. And then in that number two spot, like it's not crazy to have Wyndham there, which is you know, sixteen months ago if you said this to you, is if I said this to you, you'd be like, that's absolutely bananas. Yes, yeah, So I think this is a great spot for him. I think really like I mean what you said is like, without Scottie around, this guy would be the guy might be number one in the world. I know, all right, we've talked about him. He's going for the career Grand Slam.
Speaker 2: I did not have this on my list. I don't think it's worthy of being a.
Speaker 1: This is a little I just have it because this is are we at the lowest buzz moment ever for a career Grand Slam? Like is Phil at the u US Open at Pinehurst's gonna have more buzz for a career Grand Slam than this?
Speaker 2: Well, there was one I think it was Beth Page where it was like, yeah, there's there's and then that he actually finished like T three, T three. I have that in here.
Speaker 1: I mean he had so he had the whistling straight second, which was like a duel him and Jason. That was Rockham epic, epic tournament, and that was speed at the height of his powers, and probably you know and Jason Day really at the height of his power. That was it was a great, great tournament. And then you got the completely non competitive Beth Page. I think he led this the field in like strokes game, putting by like an absurd number and finished like seven shot shots back. I think that might have been like the very start of my justin guy take.
Speaker 2: I remember, I think he played with I think he played with Brooks on Saturday because they I think he somehow got into the final pair and I don't think I think he was like T two and I remember following them thinking like, this guy doesn't even know where the center of the club face. He is much less like is he able to find it? I mean it was shocking how bad he hit it and how good he scored. So yeah, I think there have been other events that he's PGA's that he's entered with a lack of buzz, but this is down there, I think with all of them.
Speaker 1: Last four PGAs T seventy one, T thirty, T thirty four, T twenty nine, So pretty lackluster since that Beth Page kind of rab it out of the hat. But just in general, I for a big name player going for the career Grand Slam, yeah nothing, Phil have more buzz at Pinehurst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I just I I'll go ahead and mention my next one, this is this is my third one, because I think it plays into what you're talking about. I think PGAs have become a very like the PGA of America has a type if if if we want to say it like that, and what I mean by that is is golf course. You know, they've started going to these like big, brawny, beefy, you know, built up rough golf courses, and that's not great for Jordan Speth, you know.
Speaker 1: It pretty narrows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it lessens the the I think the number of guys that could potentially win the tournament, which I think can be actually good for your brand overall for the casual fan because they want to see the Brooks and the Hovelin and the Shuffler and the Rory. But it's it's I don't know that it's great for the game specifically, and I and I definitely don't think it's good for Jordan Speith and his You know, we haven't talked about it a ton. I know it's been talked about behind the scenes, but I think the risk thing is not nothing and to and to be at a at a tournament like this where Rough grown up and you're just kind of hacking. Sometimes I don't maybe they won't grow it up like they did at Oak Hill. I haven't seen any we haven't gotten our first rough video yet, but come out. I just got right around the corner. It might might be out before this is released. I don't. I don't see this as being a very good fit for Jordan.
Speaker 1: Sped Yeah, I I don't. I don't see it being a good fit. I just and I do think I do agree with your your take care about the about the type. I mean, there's there's some golf course similarities, but you know, I think it's the Carry Hague era of setup. And I think he gets a lot of credit for the championships he produces and the the fairness and you know all that. But I will say that like there is no evolution. It's it's kind of the same playbook you're in year out. And I think like side of like I think you put like Kyowa kind of in its own box and Southern Hills. I thought Southern Hills was great too in terms of like variety of golf courses, but now we're heading into this this murderer's row here of Valhalla and Quail Hollow, where you know, you know what you're gonna get. And and I think the PGA, in a sense, like you have your it's like a souped up PGA Tour event, right, it kind of feels like what the Players wants to be, you know, a major that's really just a bigger PGA Tour event.
Speaker 2: But I would argue that the Players has more going for it in terms like from that standpoint than the PGA because it's got I think.
Speaker 1: It's the recognizability of the course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think TPC Sawgrass can offer more variety than some sometimes not than Kiowa or Southern Hills. I agree with you on those. But you go Oakhill, Valhalla and kual Holla right in a row, and it's like, is that kind of just all the same golf course in different locations? You know that that can be what it what it feels like at times. What about Harding Park, I'm not as deep.
Speaker 1: On Harding Park. I think Harding Park would fill a file under this type of golf course. Okay, Valhalla very you know, like from an architectural features thing like Harding Parks like about rough its rough and heavy air. Yeah, and you know I think like here you've got you know, some hazards, some bunkers, but it's going to be it's an execution tournament. And I think that's you know, I'll go to go to one of mine. Here we're just knocking these down. That's the thing when you when you don't have, when you're not you know, Trevor, you know he's we're just flowing going one to one. You know, you brought up Trevor and this is this is what media for. We're two media pros here. We're just going knocking down down things here. But the uh, I'll say, like this is you know, the Brooks Kopka right when we when we start to zoom out of like the Brooks Kopka archetype is he's got the chance to go down as the greatest PGA player of all time, which I don't know what that means at the grand scheme of things. I think I think anybody would want to be the best Masters player, the best Open Championship player, But like you know, he's got three of these things. It feels like a really good chance for number four, with him winning the live event last week and seemingly turning some turning some corners with this form, I think he's got to be in your your first five favorites, first three favorites really and like you start to look at it. If he gets another one, it's Jack with five, Walter Hagen with five, which Walter Hagen was playing in when there's match play, and then you got Tiger with four, and Brooks is right there, like you know, this is this is an insane thing. He's going for the sixth major. He's doing it in a completely different way than anybody we've ever seen. We've never seen somebody with such low volume of winds was such a high volume of major winds, right, And I just think these the one of the things like we could zoom out twenty years from now and be like, you know what, like Carrie Haig just you know, his setup philosophy was just Taylor made for Brooks Koepka. And I think there's also some intangibles there with Brooks, his demeanor, his his attitude, his and a lot of it his talent. But these tournaments just like I mean, this one just seems to be just absolutely perfect for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, carry Haig Brooks, the Brooks whisperer. Seriously, I think the oh you mentioned the three guys that have won four or more PGAs Tiger, Jack and Walter Hagen, I've got another number for you here. Since nineteen eighty so that's what last forty almost forty five years, only one golfer has won six majors by age thirty four, and obviously that's Tiger and Brooks just turned thirty four. You know the thing that I wrote about Hm last year after you wanted okill was you know he joined. I think it's a group of twenty guys that had won five majors, and twenty is just you know, I wrote, five majors is so many and twenty guys is so few. Like it's just so like every level now is a different I mean, he's he's a couple away from Arnold Palmer, which.
Speaker 1: Is just.
Speaker 2: Crazy at his age. I mean, this is the age that Phil started winning majors and Phil got to six. Now do I think Brooks is going to have the career longevity of Phil. I don't. But I think he said something after heone lived Singapore, Indy, and that was he talked about. He gave this quote about how I'm willing to go to a place that not a lot of other guys are willing to go. And that can come off a little bit as you know, just Brooks being Brooks and saying his cocky stuff and whatever. But I do think that his willingness to enter a mentality of committedness and discipline to each shot at the majors is really admirable. And I kind of theorize the other day, does his willingness does the energy he expends on committing to every shot and being that focused at major championships almost take away from like he's just unwilling to go to that place at other tournaments, which is why he doesn't win as much. And I think that might be the case. Like I think he's just unwilling to expend that energy, mental or emotional or whatever it is at majors at a random well, formerly a random PGA Tour event and now live event.
Speaker 1: It's it's similar to like what we see with playoff basketball and playoff hockey, right, Like everybody like, oh, playoff hockey is the best. Nobody could play playoff hockey like this for an entire season, correct, And maybe that's that's just the way it is. Same with playoff baseball, same with I mean the NBA, Like just the the attention to detail, possession to possession that these guys have in the NBA playoffs is just at a whole different level. And the intensity is I think that's that's the thing. And I think there's like there's also an aspect of golf is that there are there are people that when that intensity ramps up, do turtle a little bit. And there's also the as the intensity raps ramps up in golf. One of the things that I always appreciate is that it always always shows the weaknesses of players, and I think when you look at Brooks, he's extraordinarily well rounded. He might not be the best driver of the golf ball, the best iron player, the best short game player, or the best putter, but when it comes to putting all three, all four of those aspects of the game together, there are very few people that have as few. You know, there's no holes. You know, the putter was an issue when he couldn't practice or crouch down to read putts, But like I mean, like when he gets going on in a major run, the putter is just it's one of the best things he has. Is that that like he just he failed. He always he just never gives stuff away when he's going and and it's just that all around talent. You see it with Scotti too, is that like if you do everything really well, it's hard to play poorly when especially when the when the level of setup and and competition goes up. So I think with Brooks, like he always talks about how he's an athlete, maybe his approach to golf is just that like I'm not going to expend all my energy winning this event that I don't really care about because I know I need in the long run, I need to save it for the majors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I mean, I've tried to come up with ways to explain it because it's historically inexplicable. It just doesn't. It doesn't if you win this many majors, you win at a clip like Rory, which is twenty five times on the PGA Tour. Right, and do you remember a Kioa when I compared him to Eddie Tobbense when he was spotting down catching reading putts. And then Eddie Tobbinsey's wife reached out to me on Twitter. She did, Yeah, she said, she said, hey, Eddie's she tweeted this. It was extraordinary, one of my favorite Twitter moments ever. She said, Hey, my husband's not on Twitter, but he just he appreciates that somebody remembers his career. He's out. All he does is fish now. So I'll tell him that you said.
Speaker 1: That amazing what had been saying moment, Eddie Savinsky It So if he wins this, he joins Trevino. If he wins another major, he joins Trevino, Faldo, Mickelson. At six, he'll be one of sixteen players. And I think the other aspect of this that you have to bring up six today feels a lot bigger than six in nineteen ninety. Yeah, that's gonna get some people bothered, but.
Speaker 2: I think that's right at It's hard to look at an industry historically where you infuse this much more money and it didn't eventually become more competitive. And I think with with Tiger's entrance twenty five years ago, you're seeing the real like and when money started flowing in, you're seeing the realation of that, of that competitiveness. It's just more. There's just more good. I don't know that there's more great elite like generational players, but there's more really really good players, I think, And it's more competitive now than ever, I don't you know. I think that the other thing is is the Brooks versus Rory thing. I think right now, even though Brooks has more majors, you would say Rory's had a better career because he's won more types of majors and he's just one more worldwide, and it's longer, but you start to get two or three ahead in majors, and that that becomes a different conversation and you have to say, like you have to look at is Brooks the best player of you know, like the last well, the post Tiger time, and then you know Scotty enters that at some point as well.
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about Scotty?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think what has the base be come yet? I don't it's Friday afternoon. I don't love delving into like personal life, gestational.
Speaker 2: Periods or anything like that. But wasn't she do like at the end of April.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think this is the whole thing, And I think Scotti was pretty gunshy to like kind of talk about it at the Masters, because like I had heard, it was three weeks out at the Masters, it was like a late Masters. So we're probably like right in the window.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we're actually getting to the point where it's beneficial that it's way it's been this long, because if he gets it like right after, if if if he was two weeks into parenthood, I think it would be harder than if it's like the baby comes and it's like, you know what, I got this major championship. I was here for the for the birth, and now I'm going to do my thing. Then if you're I, you know I I think we talk a lot about this, but like golf is such a mental game that like changes in life do matter with how you process, how you think. It's just such a it's not real. It's not a reactionary sports. It's not it's not basketball where you know you're making split second decisions and it's all instinctually based, like their thought in having a kid changes the fabric of a person. And everybody likes to use perspective and what it does to you know, perspective can hurt you too. It's like what what I always go back to the Cotric quote about experiences and all, like it's cracked up to. Perspective can also it can make you worry more, It can make you you know, it can make you think about things differently, and for golfer that stuff like really really matters. But like the longer this baby takes, I think, the better it is for Scottie. Like I think it's like it's it's fitting like I think it was. If there was any negative potential of having a kid impacting Scotty is if the kid came two weeks ago and he's like into three week three of being a parent, and you're just head spinning, like this is crazy. I'm getting up at you know, I'm sure they'll have a night nurse, but like I'm getting up at three in the morning and having these problems. I haven't slept through the night for two weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, I do think you know, just the euphoria of having a child, like you could almost like yeah, I agree with you. Like you go to the PGA and you're like, oh, this is an amazing life experience. I want to go win the It almost it almost like this sounds weird, but it almost frees you up a little bit to go to go play.
Speaker 1: I remember I played. I played around a golf like right before my daughter's birth, and my head was like the only we had a we had an induction, so like I had that the date was ere a C section. We had like the date like you know set and I was playing like golf like maybe the day or two days before, and I mean my head was in a blender. I was so far away from the golf course and I'm not comparing playing a major to that. But but I remember the round after it was like, oh, I'm playing like I was so much more free. So I think if this this kid come. I hate that we're analyzing it to this and not just talking about this year, but like, you know, like from like from the golf perspective, like he's the best player in the world right now. It's without a doubt, and it would be it would be crazy if he's not in contention. But you know, you know, you don't know the kid dynamic is.
Speaker 2: Going to be. It would be funny if if Taylor Gooch got in the field but there was still an asterisk on this major because Scotty didn't play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, does that at this point?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it out of the question.
Speaker 2: I just I literally just got a text from some different people that they they think that it did that this has happened. Now, Okay, this is a couple people removed. So I don't I don't know, but you're on the plex, You're you're right there. Yeah, I need to just I need to start dialing into some you know, generating some hippo violations. Just see what s what's see what's going on in the in the Metroplex. I think, listen, I think the story with Scotty we've already discussed. I think one half of it, which is like where is he going to be at mentally? Is he even going to play all that? I think the second half is I genuinely think that the Grand Slam is in play, and that sounds crazy. I think it's almost impossible to win the Grand Slam in the modern I mean, nobody's ever done it right, and especially in this era which we talked about, I think is probably more competitive than ever, and it's so it's extraordinarily difficult. But he is playing at a level that I think people are not. And he was doing this last year. Andy, he did this last summer and the putter wasn't there. But it made me. It made me go back and look at some of Tiger's years and I compared it to I think it was six Tiger, where he won like his last six events of six and they were playing at the exact same level. Tea green Tiger was just started putting better. And now Scotty's hit that run where he's putting it better than he was. Still not great, but good enough and much better than he was and he's won four or five and you know, if Speith can get within what do you get within four guys of winning the Slam In twenty fifteen he lost to four guys that year, three at the Open and Jason Day. I don't think it's crazy. I don't think it's inconceivable to think that Scotty could take it to Pinehurst, which would be it'd be a really really cool story to have the Slam alive going to Pinehurst for the major of the year.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you talk about course fit, I think this one is. It's every course is a great fit for Scotty, but this one might throttle back a little. Like in terms of spectrum, if I was going to build a golf course for Scotty, it's like Augustin at I think Pinehurst number two is like an extraordinary fit because that's going to be such a ball striking you know, It's it's gonna be about getting up and down and hitting really good iron shots. And I don't know anybody that's that's better at those two things. It's like Scotty camp Smith, Like if camp Smith's playing really, really on his game, like that Pinehurst setup is going to be really dynamite for him, and then you go to Troon like, I definitely think it's like one of those years. If I was if I offered you a bet double digit players beat Scottie Scheffler in majors, like and if somebody beats him twice accounts as two you know, yeah, right, double digit players beat Scotti Schefflers in all four majors this year? Would you take that over or under of that?
Speaker 2: I would take under because we've seen it happen, not just with Speth Brooks. Did it recently or it was close? It was like right around eight nine ten, and Rory did at recent Roy did it in it was again, it was close. It was twenty twenty two. He finished second at the Masters, third at the Open, and he was like top seven I think in the PGA and the US Open as well. So we've had a bunch of guys that are close and he's already. Yeah, I would take the under, honestly, Which is that seems insane?
Speaker 1: Like that seems like a insane thing to think about, Like I played these four the four hardest golf tournaments with the best players in the world, and only five guys beat me all year.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that it's and it's not for me. It's not just about this year necessarily. If you go back to I've got the numbers right, if you go back to twenty twenty at the Majors, So the start of twenty twenty, he missed the US Open that year. I think he had COVID. But he is about a half stroke better from tee to green at the Majors than the next best guy. He's He's two point seven to two from tee to green. Zala, Taurus and Rory are two point twenty six tea green. That's two point twenty six strokes game per round. So he is, what is that two strokes per tournament better than the second best guy from tea green over the last four years. That's that's an enormous difference. And yeah, I mean a million people said it, but the putter is good enough right now that And I think mentally, he said this after RBC Heritage, he said, mentally, I'm just in the best place I've ever mentally and emotionally, I'm in the best place I've ever been in. And I think you can you can see that he just looks so much freer than he did even earlier this year when he was like, I remember Bayhill, he missed a couple of putts early and he was like, just it's uh, it's super super frustrating, and he just looks like he's playing incredibly free golf right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's uh, he's in the best place. It's it's what you always say about golf. When you get it going, it feels like you're never gonna lose it, and when you lose it, you feel like you're never gonna be get it back. And he's at the stage where it's like it's inconceivable. I'd be surprised, honestly. Would you be surprised, be more surprised if he won, or more surprised if he shot a round over seventy one next week?
Speaker 2: For sure, more surprised if he shot a round over seventy one.
Speaker 1: I think these are the types of questions that like get to where we're at with Scotty.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, he's done. He's only done it, I think three times this year now. I maybe I Valhalla is set up crazy and I don't you know, I might change that answer next Wednesday, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's I mean these PGAs are usually you know, eight to eight to fourteen under right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Daly is in the field, by the way, insane is your Do you can I talk about my number one story? Yeah, Blockey, No, Scotty was my number one I did. I did want to give a mention. I don't know how many I've done, but I did want to give one quick mention because I think this guy is kind of in a good spot right now. And that's that's the old thick boy, the newly the newly slim boy. Bryson played really good at the Masters. He played very good at o'kill last year. That was okaill. Last year was kind of the beginning of this new whatever version nine of him. I don't know what version were on, but you know he is. I've called him the high King of Content, which he is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's not enough for him to win the Masters. He has to win him. He has to win the Masters with three d golf clubs, which is outrageous, but he You know, this is when I say, hey, there's like six guys, it feels like they could win it. I would actually throw Bryson in there. I think he is just so well set up for for PJA Championships at courses like this, and I'm fascinated to see how he plays.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I agree. I think like I was talking to somebody yesterday about this, It's like, do I do I love Bryson? Now? Do I really love him for my job? Yes? And I think like when you think about Bryson, like life is Life's hard. The way he was entered into the game, it was with like all these high expectations and most importantly brand pushing this idea that he's changing golf. He's this innovator, he's all this, and you know, it was met with a lot of skepticism, a lot of hate. And you know, I certainly was, you know, one person that was pretty you know, outspoken, calling bullshit on some of the stuff that was being purported. But the I think, like you're seeing Bryson as he enters this, I think he's late twenties and that's when you is a person's start to figure out who you are. I mean, I didn't know who I was until like late twenties, early thirties. I was not like really sure what I was going to do with my life, what I was going to do, Like how I was socially, like who how I fit in you know everything? And I think that like when you talk about like, I don't think it get and I think like mental health. Obviously it's gotten a lot of run lately in sports, but there is this idea of like, I think one of the hardest things about being an athlete is like you're expected to be this person and every move you make is under a microscope at an age when you're still trying to figure out what life is and who you are. And I think with Bryson, like, I think I think the live thing honestly, like he took a big bag bag of money, got ostracized for it, and I think he was like shocked at that. But I think, like from and I'm guessing that, like, I just think that Bryson wants to be loved. I think that's like what at his core, he like wants people to like him, I believe, and you could you probably would remember. Wasn't there a quote one time where he was like, I was kind of shocked at the reaction of me going what happened? Was that him that said that, Uh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think it was on a I want to say it was on like a conference call or something. I do remember what you're talking about. I don't remember where when it was, though.
Speaker 1: But you think about that and and I you know, you grow the most as a person when you have these low moments, and for for professional athletes, especially at golfers that had our phenoms like Bryson, like, there aren't a lot of low moments in your life. And I think, like, I think think we're seeing the best version of Bryson. Like, am I going like do I want to hang out with him? Probably not? Would I like to talk to him about golf? Yeah, Like he's a very interesting person, but like I think you're starting to see the best version of him as a golfer, also the most aware as a person, and he's becoming himself. He's becoming comfortable being himself, and I think that is a really powerful thing for your golf game, when you are comfortable in your own skin, especially playing at majors championships. And I just think, like, you know, like for Bryson, like we could he has had an amazing career already. We we might look back and say, like the next five years might be the best part of his career, And I think that's not off the table. I think he's playing. I think from in terms of like who we as a golfer, he is a better player now than he was a while ago. Like even when he was winning, you know, even that US Open where he just bludgeoned, I think he was pretty one dimensional. I think he's got I think the YouTube stuff's really making him a better player.
Speaker 2: We've talked about YouTube improving your game, gestational periods, we've covered the we've run the game here. I think you're right about Bryson. I you know, I think it's actually I think you can make the case that it's more rare for a player of him in the type of spotlight that he was in to mature at a Rory or Speeth rate, and it's actually more common to mature, like to mature at a Bryson rate. Now. I think the thing that hurt him more than maybe some other guy like Tiger didn't mature really when he was that age. He just had people around him that protected him from the right things are from the wrong whatever however you want to say that. And Bryson, I don't know that he's had those people around him, and so he has just looked a lot worse and he's yeah, not self aware and all those different things. But I think it's very insightful for you to say, like, yeah, it's very hard to mature into who you're going to become, and even more so when you're in the spotlight, and even more so when you don't surround yourself with people that kind of save you from yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think like I when as I zoom out on Bryson's career, and I think we've gotten to the stage where it's possible and we've seen kind of different versions. Like the failing of Bryson early in his career were the brands and the people that were around him that didn't protect him from the brands and in himself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think that's the thing is like when you you look back on every base career, there are elements and time where there are you know, you're going to have regrets on different things and they didn't handle things the right way, you know, And for Bryson it's going to be there was a period of time where like you didn't have the right people in his ear or he lost sight. I think like you have to blame him too. He lost sight of who the right people are because obviously, like he's rededicated to what got him there the last year and a half, and he talked about that a lot at last year's PGA Championship. One last thing, I think like we got to this point where it was like kind of everybody we felt like should have won a major, had won a major. I feel like this is like a constant ebb and flow with majors, where like people start to get one and it's like oh yeah, Like like when Sergio won, it's like, yeah, he deserved a major, right, yeah, you know, and it's like oh, Scotty got one, like well he belongs. And we've had like this run of different guys. But like, I feel like we've got the pen is starting to fill bad with people that haven't won majors, and you've got Hovelin, Xander can't lay, and I think it's way too early to put Ludwig in there, but he's going to naturally go in there just because of the talent level. You got Max Homa, who's playing really really great golf. Fee now yeah, So I think that's just one thing I have in mind is that I think that lately and and very well deserved. The focus of majors has been around a couple guys, and we haven't even mentioned John Rahm, who can't be happy you first mentioned a minute whatever sixty of this pod. There's sixty something of this pod, but we've kind of refilled the tank of guys that are are you know, really talented players without major championships. And I think that that's a you know, we I think first time major winners, when they're really well deserved first time major winners, there is always a fun story.
Speaker 2: Who is that? Is it Xander that's the most deserving major winner?
Speaker 1: I think, So what do you think? I mean, Hoblin was so good last year, but Xander's been so good for five years.
Speaker 2: Wellander, Xander, statistically, I think is the most deserving. I think if you actually watch golf, it's Hoblin's up there, Fleetwood's probably up there. Just in terms of like major play, like Xander's. I mean, we've talked about we've joked about it a bunch, but you know, he's got all these top tens at major's. But like when did have you ever thought, Oh, Xander's gonna win this major championship?
Speaker 1: Maybe the Open? Uh, Molinari's Open at seventeen eight eight eight. That was because Tiger Kissner Molinari.
Speaker 2: That's when Speed got the haircut. Yeah, I think and Xander were in. I think they were in the.
Speaker 1: Last Yeah, and he had that wasn't that it didn't he have the baby cry when he had that? Right? Remember that?
Speaker 2: I think that's right. And so he was in that one. That was actually one that Rory could have won. Yeah, he was with us four holes left.
Speaker 1: Rory has a million. He could have won if he went out in twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I did love Joel Beel's sweet at the Master's happy if Rory goes out in twenty nine to all who celebrate day.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but yeah, I think Xander maybe, I I mean, Hoblin is recent, but I don't feel good about where he's at right now with his golf game. Seems like he's lost in the woods. I heard he moved back to Stillwater, did he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he left the swamp.
Speaker 1: I think he's Oh, I did my so.
Speaker 2: My parents live in Stillwater and my dad said he saw him the other day at his at the place that he plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's back. I think he's back in still water. Okay, it was a short lived swamp experiment, just a tour. Do you know you know where he was staying in the swamp do you know? No? So you know, this guy made fifty million dollars, he decides decides to move to the to Jupiter and he was renting a room from Chris Ventura, really former teammate, former teammate player on the Corn Ferry tour. So this guy guy takes fifty million dollars last year and he's renting a room off his college.
Speaker 2: That's when that's what like Quhen Ricky and Cam Trngalli used to room together. Yeah, I think they used to live together in Florida.
Speaker 1: But did Ricky own the house? I mean, like I don't know, yeah, probably you would think that it would be the opposite that Chris Ventura's renting from.
Speaker 2: Vaders was Baby's trying to help him out. Maybe he was overpaying him or something.
Speaker 1: It's just an amazing It's just there's so many great Like Victor's just a normal dude stories, but a story. But like the idea that like anybody that's got you know, i mean, his net worth with sponsorships and everything's gotta be through the roof right now, and he moved. He decides he's moving somewhere and he moves in with his his former teammates and rents a room.
Speaker 2: There are there are. I was just thinking about still Water. He could buy like six hundred acres in still Water. He could buy like half the town. I did laugh. I forgot. I think it was Shargunstar where you guys talked about how Victor should have at the at the wrong club.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, down in the swamp.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of the other club president, the that just being like getting like a call and being like Victor Hoblin's here to beat with you, and being like, okay, sweet talk. I know basis of why he was there.
Speaker 2: I am bummed he's he is. I've talked to this a couple of people that it just feels like he's the lost boy right now. And that's a bummer. He was so I mean, I think you think back to a year ago he kind of stared Keopka in the eye and hit one bad shot, you know, on sixteen on.
Speaker 1: He kept waiting for him to fall apart, and he just never did until.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, yeah, yeah, that the getting out of the bunker on the fairway bunker on sixteen. He I thought he was really impressive, and it made me think, like, man, this guy's gonna win a major in the next two years. And then he just he went and tore everything down and he and his reasoning was insane. He was like, well, I just he almost He basically said I was playing too good. I didn't think that was sustainable. And you're like, well, that seems kind of fatalistic.
Speaker 1: Isn't this the isn't this why Scotty seems so sustainable?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is that like when when you when somebody asks Scotty what he's working on, He's like, the same thing as always, same thing I've been working on for years, grip set up. It's like nothing can go wrong if you're if that's your mentality, if you know what you're working on, and it's all fundamental based like the idea of playing the best golf of your life. Like and this happens all the time in golf. It like there's there's dozens of these stories. It's like, I mean Tiger is an example of this. You get you're the greatest player in the world that it's not even closed and you decide to just like reinvent your golf swing. Yeah, I think, like this is a crazy phenomenon. You know, it's just speaks to the the you know, every I always get these. You always get the people that like, you know, I'm not any good at golf. It's like, well, here's the thing. Victor Hoblin was probably the best player in the world in August, and he didn't think he was any good at golf and decided to reinvent himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this is actually a Scotty Like I think there's a point to be made about Scotty here where the footwork it looks crazy and you're like that he can't keep doing this, But it's actually the other way around. It actually keeps him from trying something else because it's so it's so like he owns it so much that he would be probably bad if he tried anything. It's almost like Jim Furick right where, Yeah, the swing is so wonky that he can't do anything like this is it? Like this is what it is. And I think you get these guys that are so obsessed with becoming better and so confident in their own ability to do so that they go down pass that they shouldn't be going down. We've seen it a million times and it helped. It helps guys like Scotty that they have this weird trait, this weird thing that they do, because it keeps them from those paths.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, yeah, it's uh, it's wild. All right, are you all out of things?
Speaker 2: I'm yeah, I emptied, the emptied the notebook.
Speaker 1: What who's your pick to win?
Speaker 2: Scotty?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna take Brooks just for variety's sake, very brave.
Speaker 2: The five time major winner.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a good Rory week. He's coming in playing well, it's always a good rory week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, Either any of those three would be very historically cool. You know, like I think, if you, if you, if you're one of if you're us, you're in the media, you want something that's historically relevant and fun to write about and talk about and think about. And any of those three, whether it's the slam Rory getting finally getting his fifth or or Brooks getting too six, is is like really crazy. Any one of those storylines.
Speaker 1: The who would who's your worst carre scenario? Real legitimate worst case.
Speaker 2: Scenario, legitimate worst case scenario.
Speaker 1: Uh, Blockie, I think I mean, if Blockie, are you betting Blockie to make the cut or miss the cut? No?
Speaker 2: Miss miss miss h I think it is is it is it like a well, how legitimate does it have to be? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know that it's just a throwaway question.
Speaker 2: Like I think I think a Nick Taylor.
Speaker 1: That's there's no way.
Speaker 2: He's I mean he's he's really good.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't like, like, like is is tier there's like six guys that can win in this tournament?
Speaker 2: I agree, I mean that's what I've been saying.
Speaker 1: I think it's like Scottie, Rory Wyndham, Rom Ludwig Brooks, Bryson Bryson and then maybe Xander, like I Cam Young seems like he could win this thing too, right, Yeah, but like there aren't. I don't think there's a lot of people that can actually win. Yeah, and maybe I'm wrong, but like it's the old thing with Brooks what he used to say, which I think he got a lot of heat for it, But it's like the exact way that someone who's really good at golf thinks about golf tournaments. Yeah, so all right, Kyle, people read your people can read your stuff. With CBS Sports, they can, they can listen to you, they can read. I think everybody should sign up for the normal Sporter. You got anything else going on, You're gonna be doing the video too for CBS Sports, I assume next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll we'll have a setout there with Rick Caymen and Joe Musso, who's our host. We'll be doing some video from Valhalla. But yeah, the newsletter Twitter CBS Sports dot com newsletter has been where I kind of just dump all the crazy, ridiculous fun stuff and I really enjoyed kind of the creativity that can happen there.
Speaker 1: So awesome. I've been enjoying it, and thanks for doing this absolutely. Big thank you to Meg Atkins for editing and producing this podcast, and big thanks to Kyle Porter for jumping on and chatting with us. As a quick reminder, we've got the PGA here this week. A big part of what we do at Frida Egg is the Club TFE our membership, and we will be producing content there. We've had a lot of great content this month and there our video articles. You know, we'll have a design notebook with from a developer standpoint of Q and A with people that have built their first golf courses in the last couple of years, so that will all be there. It is a it is a annual membership. We're doing trying to do a lot more on the community front there. It's one hundred and twenty dollars for the year. It lasts a year from wherever you sign up and you get all kinds of benefits for that beyond the content. So check out CLUBDF at Thefridagg dot com slash membership and thank you to all that have joined and supported us today. Can't wait for a PGA championship and we will have another podcast later this week.