Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It's Thursday, May seventh.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robot and I'm TJ. Holmes on the run this morning. I'm going to be making stops in Tennessee and Florida at Laurel Park, Maryland, River Oaks, Texas, as well as Atlanta. But we need to get to robes. Two very important and still developing stories having to do of course, one with that hantavirus cruise ship, some significant updates. That's a big story. And the other one happens to be Iran and the war with Iran. Let's start with this one, rose but some significant and even I guess confusing development still on what's going on with Iran.
Speaker 1: I feel like that is pretty much every development or headline confusing because it's unclear what exactly it means or where it's leading to. But as of this recording, the United States is reportedly waiting on Iran's response to the Trump administration's latest proposal to end the war.
Speaker 2: So that proposal apparently came with a warning, a warning from the President who wrote on social media yesterday. Assuming Iran agrees to give what has been agreed to, which is perhaps a big assumption. The already legendary epic fury will be at an end, and the highly effective blockade will allow the horror move straight to open to all, including Iran. If they don't agree, the bombing starts, and it will be sadly at a much higher level and intensity than it was before. And Robe, you could go back into that statement and say, when they agree, epic fury will be at an end. But of course he's already reported to Congress that the war is over.
Speaker 1: That's correct, because you know there was that timeline where Congress had to then give approval.
Speaker 3: But yes, and by the way.
Speaker 1: In that same day, the President also said that the United States at least are envoys were having very good talks with the Iranians. So look, despite the ominous warning that bombing would start again, oil prices dropped, stock prices are rising, and there seems to be some indications that that deal is possibly going.
Speaker 2: Forward and investors apparently believe it, because Robes, the Dow is at fifty thousand, that's a big deal, or around it to record high. The president is bragging about that on social media even this morning, so there's some indications somewhere out there folks believe or at least are optimistic that this thing is going finally maybe in the right direction. We're going the wrong direction in this next leg of our run. This is significant. For the first time today we are hearing that as many as forty passengers on that hantavirus cruise ship have already headed back to their home countries. And they did this Robes. They left the ship two weeks after the guy that we know died on the ship died, so he was dead, and two weeks later. These folks were still for two weeks mingling on that ship, and then they got off and now they're out there.
Speaker 1: Some of them were on this same flight as that man's wife, who later collapsed in the Johannesburg airport and died in a hospital. So this is deeply concerning. So far, a total of three people have died, five others have been sickened, and we know several of those passengers who left the cruise ship early were Americans. So passengers are now reportedly being monitored in the states of Georgia, California, and Arizona.
Speaker 2: And right now those Americans at least not reporting feeling ill or symptomatic at this point. Right now, though, a Swiss Man is hospitalized in Geneva with a confirmed case of hantavirus, along with British national who was in South Africa. In the hospital there, those two were feeling.
Speaker 1: Ill correct and they both have been confirmed as having the Andes strain of this hantavirus. Three others were airlifted off the cruise ship yesterday. They're now being treated in the Netherlands. In the meantime, the one hundred and fifty or so other passengers currently quarantined on the ship, they are all headed to Spain's Canary Islands, where the plan right now is to begin evacuations as early as Monday.
Speaker 2: Fet like you put that the plan right now, because the plan in this story keeps changing. The reason they're or rope of just saying the plan is that right now is because there's confusion whether or not these folks will be allowed even to get off. There's some I just heard a reporter on CNN. I wanted to give her credit. She said there's some wrangling going on.
Speaker 1: Yes between Spain and the Canary Islands. Obviously, the Spanish government in charge of the Canary Islands. But the local government there in the Canary Islands is saying yet, no, we don't want these people coming on to our land.
Speaker 2: Well, they're only way. They're heading to the Canary Islands. Supposed to get there sometime maybe over the weekend on Mondays. Start getting these people off the ship. We do not know, and this is concerning, and you can understand why no one would want this ship right now. Roads we're talking about a virus we don't know a lot about, and a strain of the virus we know even less about. But it goes from human to human now and rode the death rate. Look, we think about COVID, the death ray for COVID, a lot of people died, but a lot of people had it, and the percentage of the death ray was one two percent for COVID. This one is ropes in a way incomprehensible when you talk about forty percent of people who get haunted virus die.
Speaker 1: Incredibly scary and no known cure for this virus. So we'll keep our eye on that developing story in the meantime, though. Next up on the run, Democrats and Republicans emerged from the closed door hearing with two very different takes on how Howard Lutnick answered questions about his relationship with Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 2: Republicans called him forthcoming, Democrats called him evasive and his testimonies so embarrassing that if President Trump had seen it, he would fire him on the spot.
Speaker 1: Some Democrats actually flat out accused the Commerce Secretary of lying. But you see, I guess either way it wouldn't matter because he wasn't under oath. Lutnik was voluntarily answering questions before the House Oversight Committee about his years long personal and professional relationship with Jeffrey Epstein.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is the same committee that holed in the Clintons previously for testimony. However, do not be standing by waiting to see video of Howard Lutnik's testimony like you saw the Clintons. We're told Robes we will get a transcript. But I did not fully understand going in he wasn't under oath. Why he voluntarily said he would come in and answer questions.
Speaker 1: Is that how you avoid having to testify under oath. I'll just do it because I am agreeing to versus being compelled to.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it was part of some negotiation and back and forth. Say, hey, you don't have to subpoenat me. I'll come in. But I want this, I want this, and I want this. But who knows?
Speaker 3: That's deeply concerning. Why wouldn't you want to testify under oath?
Speaker 2: They say, still roads, it's a crime to lie to Congress. But he was not under oath.
Speaker 3: Wow, all right, that clears up nothing. Then, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, we are getting our first look at a suicide note purportedly written by Jeffrey Epstein. The note had been under court seals since twenty nineteen, when Epstein's cellmate claims he found it tucked inside a book in their cellf.
Speaker 2: And the DOJ claims they were even unaware of the note until recently. The New York Times fouled a request to have the note released, and yesterday a judge gave you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's what the note says. They investigated me for a month, found nothing. So sixteen year old charges it is a treat to be able to choose one's time to say goodbye? What you want me to do? Bust out crying, no fun, not worth it. Lots of exclamation points in there so, yes, and it's been noted. It hasn't been formally or officially authenticated, but the way the phrases he used, the handwriting all seems to read very Jeffrey Epstein like and.
Speaker 2: The context there, rope is a big deal. That's a big part of that story is whether or not he was killed by someone that was set up so he could protect a bunch of powerful people ropes. This could go a long way and kind of tamping down that conspiracy.
Speaker 3: Theory could is the operative word.
Speaker 2: Sorry, my bad, all right. Continuing on the run here now. Five day man hunting Tennessee for a former Special Forces sergeant accused of trying to kill his wife has ended. Police say they found Craig Berry dead yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Berry disappeared May first into a wooded area near the Tennessee Kentucky border. After police say he beat, strangled and then shot his wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had given us a heads up that this might take a while. There's going to be difficult finding him because he does have Special Forces training. He served four tours in Iraq. He was a Special Forces medical sergeant. They do say he died of a self inflicted gunshot wound. The wife we mentioned or ropes. He didn't know her condition earlier on, but she has been released from the hospital they called it. She sustained life threatening injuries but pulled through it and came through just fine. But she's already out of the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, according to police, he actually shot her in the next so it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: She is alive and out of the hospital and recovery all right. Next up on the run.
Speaker 1: Police in Texas have identified the victims of a triple murder suicide. They say a husband shot and killed his wife and two young children before then turning the gun on himself. And their pictures are everywhere of just this beautiful, smiling family. The victim's thirty nine year old Ty Mitchell, eight year old Maya, and four year old Maxwell.
Speaker 2: They were found earlier this week dead at a home in an upscale neighborhood just west of Houston after the babysitter called police said hadn't heard from the family in twenty four hours, and they did a welfare check where they found these three shots. And police believe the husband fifty three year old. I think they don't have his age right as well, fifty fifty two or fifty three, but shot his wife and the two kids before killing himself. Ropes don't know why they owned a restaurant there. This is as upscale as it gets in the Houston area. This is a really affluent neighborhood. It ROAs hoop. What the hell?
Speaker 1: This is a huge question, right, It's unbelievable tragedy. But everyone who said they knew this family are stunned.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Stunned that this could have happened.
Speaker 2: We've heard a few stories where it has to do with children being killed or shot. He's not accidents like people intentionally and sometimes family members, sometimes the uncle or the yes, the dad strangling or shooting or stabbing. There was a kid to it. You see this show kild You can't. I'm we're talking to you and saying this stuff to our listeners. Now, you can't imagine a four and eight year old, a parent shooting their own kid.
Speaker 3: That's unthinkable.
Speaker 2: When you see the picture, it'll make this story worse. You see these kids' pictures.
Speaker 1: Geez, they're adorable. The family is gorgeous. This is just unthinkable and unlike there is no explanation if one comes up. I don't know if it'll make anything better, but at least people always want to understand. All right, next up on the run. You may have seen the news this is this is a big headline. Ted Turner died at the age of eighty seven. He is being remembered as, yes, one of the most influential people in the history of media.
Speaker 2: We can't overstate his influence. We're sitting at this morning. Every morning we watch news or cable news, have it on. He's the guy. He's the guy that set this whole thing in motion. It's unbelievable. He kind of invented the type of news you are watching every day to this day. Twenty four hour news is the norm now. But when he launched it in nineteen eighty and CNN in Atlanta, they're like this crazy dude, what is he doing? And now look.
Speaker 1: Look at it now, CNN, TNT, TBS, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, and he's even credited with making the Atlanta Braves the just the organization that it is.
Speaker 2: He bought the team they won a championship in ninety five, but Robes his strategy was to buy the team to improve his TV business. Because he bought the team and then he can make a deal with his own TV station to broadcast the games. Everybody in Atlanta wants to see Atlanta Braves games. What they're available, all of them on a local channel. Sure, I'll watch that. That kind of brilliance's business acumen is impressive.
Speaker 3: And it was. It was sweet.
Speaker 1: It made me chuckle to see Jane Fondas say he was her favorite ex husband.
Speaker 2: Even that it kind of sums up what their relationship was. They always even though they divorced, and seem they see that a unique relationship where they respected that the two of them were kind of full of crap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked them together.
Speaker 1: I was sad when they when they split, but it seems like there's there was still love between the two of them.
Speaker 3: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But he had Louis body dementia. It's a brain disorder that affects the memory. We hadn't seen much of him in recent years.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, he was He was an American original, no doubt. We'll stay with us here on this Thursday morning run when we come back. We got a quick update on former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who's been in the hospital hospitalizing critical condition. Earlier this week. Also we got an update about the Triple Crown. We will not have a Triple Crown winner. How do we know that already? And you got an iPhone out there, SURF thirty seven thirty seven million of you are eligible possibly for a refund from Apple. We'll explain it. Stare.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to this Thursday morning Run. And next up on the Run, we have an update for you on former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani. He was hospitalized in critical condition this week in Florida. While his spokesperson says, the eighty one year old is now out of intensive care, but we'll spend some time recovering before he actually leaves the hospital.
Speaker 2: But that's a good sign. They expect him to be leaving.
Speaker 1: And these yes, they said, at one point they were reading him his last rites.
Speaker 3: That's how serious this was.
Speaker 2: But I mean, this reminded me of Pope Francis. You got somebody that age and they talking about respiratory issues, and go, what the hell? But he seemed to be recovering. I thought this was interesting. They say, his condition now you could trace back to nine eleven because he has this condition restrictive airway disease that they say as a result of him spending so much time at ground zero after nine to eleven. Wow, who knew? And that is having an impact. Spokesperson said, this condition adds complications to any respiratory illness, and the virus quickly overwhelmed his body, requiring mechanical ventilation to maintain adequate oxygen and stabilize his condition. I thought that was wow, incredible. We live here in New York Roads. We still see probably daily some kind of commercial on local news saying if you were at ground zero, yeah, still people are having impacts. And I thought that was why I never yeah, crossed my mind.
Speaker 3: I never even thought to connect those dots. All right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, we will not have a Triple Crown winner this year because Kentucky Derby winner Golden Tempo, will not to participate in the Preakness Steaks.
Speaker 2: Yes, as we know, Triple Crown made up of the three big races, Kentucky Derby, Preakness Steakes, and the Belmont Stakes. The first two races, though robes are only two weeks apart, and you have a lot of trainers that do say this is too much for a three year old to be out there running two weeks apart. So Golden Tempo's trainers that they prefer to give the horse a little more time after such a quote tremendous effort at the Kentucky Derby. That tremendous effort robes included being last in the Kentucky Derby and ending up first might have taken a lot out.
Speaker 1: Of the word. Yes, I can imagine. And by the way, we even had a triple Crown winner since twenty eighteen, Justify, So it's been a while.
Speaker 3: It's always something too.
Speaker 1: I guess it's exciting to get and certainly a horse owner would love, but it does put the horse through tremendous stress.
Speaker 2: Roads. We watch one horse race a year, it's the Kentucky Dirty that's true, and the only way we'll watch two is that the Kentucky Derby winner is in the breakness.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 2: So we've kind of checked out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people do. But it's being not being rude there. It's just you're excited about the idea of a triple cren.
Speaker 3: We don't have a horse in the race now, damn Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, next up, on the run, and actually this is the final leg of the run. Millions of iPhone owners could now be eligible to get up to ninety five dollars back from Apple. The company settled a class action lawsuit for two hundred and fifty million dollars that accused the company of misleading customers.
Speaker 2: How why what Apple? Apple would never do such a thing, But how did they do this? Well, allegedly, they marketed advanced AI features of their phones before the features were even ready to be released. In other words, people ran out and bought these new iPhones because they kept hearing about the advertisements about there's some new AI technologies going to be in Siri, but it wasn't in that modl So that's the argument. They kind of got duped with the bait and switch. But yeah, but this is coming later, but people ran out and got the phone now, and so that's what they're arguing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the judge says, well, this judge still has to officially sign off on this settlement. But here's who would be eligible, and this is very specific. People who bought iPhone sixteen models or the iPhone fifteen Pro, which I believe I have, or the iPhone fifteen pro max and you had to have purchased the phone between June tenth of twenty twenty four and March twenty ninth of twenty twenty five. Very specific, but that means thirty seven million people are eligible.
Speaker 2: They are thirty seven million out there, and you are eligible for the higher amount. The most you could get is ninety five bucks. But they have to seeropes how many people actually apply to see how much money would be left over, so you might end up getting.
Speaker 3: Less or more. If people say, can't be bothered, Yeah, which is me. People don't care.
Speaker 1: There's absolutely no way I'm looking up to see if I purchased my I have no no recollection nice, nor.
Speaker 3: Do I care to try to figure it out.
Speaker 1: All right, And here is your quote of the day on this Oh, this is the first time we're saying it. Friday Eve. This is Friday Eve. This one I really liked. Understand that you own nothing. Everything that surrounds you is temporary. Only the love in your heart will last forever.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what, This one's almost cheesy and cliche like, but it makes perfect sense and it makes the point. It's one hundred percent correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all think the whole. You can't take it with you. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: Look, we all get into this. You have a new car, you have a new couch, you have a whatever, or you want to get that new purse or that. Yeah, we all assign all this value to things. And if anything happens to them, or they get a scratch on them, or they get we get so upset. And then you just remember, wait, this isn't actually really even the land or the apartment you have, or the home you own, it's not actually really yours can't take it with you. The only thing that matters is the relationships you have that stays with you forever. Right, So, once again for everybody, just a lovely little bit of perspective here on this Thursday. Understand that you own nothing. Everything that surrounds you is temporary. Only the love in your heart will last forever. So go do some loving today everyone, and thank you for running with us.
Speaker 3: I'm Ami Roboch.
Speaker 2: Did you just say go do some love? And now I did? Hey, you know what, folks, she left that for interpretation. However you want to do that today night yourself. Adding with that, we appreciate it. I'm DJ as well. Run soon