Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod meets Twirl, the Dancing with the Stars recap hosted by two guys who can't dance, don't want to dance, and I have now seen six episodes of Dancing with the Stars. But since our best friend Danielle has joined the cast for season thirty four, we're going all in. We are Wilfred Ell and Ryder Strong aka the two dudes next to Tapanga aka daniel Fishal's backup aka the Daniettes.
Speaker 2: How's it going? Well, it's good. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm a little tired. I spent all day yesterday traveling six hour flight, landed in Costa Rica, three and a half hour bus ride.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm here now.
Speaker 1: We're celebrating my wife's fiftieth and we're here for like the next five days.
Speaker 2: With no cho sounds fun I'm curious how how many Dancing with the Stars recap podcasts do you think are being recorded in Costa Rica right now?
Speaker 1: Just the one, baby one, just you?
Speaker 2: Or this is just a whole here's the people, you know what?
Speaker 1: It is funny though, because I started to think you were going to ask how many Dances with the Stars conversations have you had? And I would say surprisingly a.
Speaker 2: Lot because thousand, yes, me too.
Speaker 1: I just yesterday because we're traveling here a bunch of friends here. We have like twenty twenty some friends who have met us in Costa Rica for my wife's fiftieth and everybody wanted to talk Dance with the Stars last night, right, I was just you know, a lot of them hadn't seen like last week's episode or just you know, so yeah, I it was a big discussion, and everyone wants to know how Danielle's doing.
Speaker 2: I'm like, good, I think I'm going to talk to her tomorrow when we record. Well. I love how literally when you do a podcast saying I don't know what I'm talking about, people somehow assume I know what I'm talking about, right, or I'll get getting conversations with people all the time like yeah, but you know she missed that kicked her and I'm like, the what she what? So it's still so funny where all of a sudden we've become experts because we said we're not experts.
Speaker 1: Well we have opinions, though, don't we we do? Boy, do we have opinions. I was so happy this week were yeah, okay, but what's funny is that I actually, like, like I said, last week, I enjoyed the dancing, like all that contemporary stuff was just beautiful and emotional. But yes, as far as like feeling good about the show and feeling good about Danielle, obviously, I.
Speaker 2: Was just so elated this week. I just got she killed it. I did too, and this was it was like it was like a wanted to cry moment for my friend where it was like, oh, because we know how hard she's been working. Yeah, we know how much it's been bugging her with how hard she's been working. And she's by the way, we know her well enough to know that she's only bugged with herself. Danielle is not the person who I can't believe the judges did this. I can't believe my partner did this. I can't believe other couples to do Nope, she's only harsh on herself. Yeah, So when you have a week like this where it was like it seemed like the stars aligned and she got to do that, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: I just think they were so smart, like her and her and Pasha just did the exact right thing, you know, like coming off of last week, because I was a little question I was questioning last week. It's like, really, we're gonna double down and boy me to them, like me, I love seeing everybody there. I love Bill being on stage. But you know, yeah, I just think that, like we want to see you do more dancing with the star stuff. We want to see more sides to Danielle, which we know are there, you know, And so for her to be able to lean into that this week was just incredible.
Speaker 2: Did you chuckle a little bit? By the way, when during her pre show package she said I'm a bright, bubbly person, but occasionally I have a darker side. Did you chuckle just a little bit?
Speaker 1: No, I honestly didn't even catch that. I have a knife in my pocket exactly armed to the.
Speaker 2: Te Oh my god. All right.
Speaker 1: We started off with Scott Hoyne and Riley Arnold. Scott apparently is a wicked suit. Oh well, we should say It's Wicked night.
Speaker 2: Like a kid. Have you seen it? Will never seen it. Didn't know anything about it, never heard a single song from it. I want to watch the movie, but didn't know anything. You know.
Speaker 1: I've started to watch the movie really late night in New Zealand and a camera band with my son, and I fell asleep, but I was thoroughly enjoying it, and I've never gone back, but so now I need to go back and watch it. And I've never seen the stage musical too, which.
Speaker 2: I haven't either. I will say because I know we're going to jump right into the dancing, and we should, but I will say the opening dance number of all of them together to that, I think it was called Defying Gravity Song. That was a pretty amazing start to the night. It seemed like you we went to the Pantagious and we were watching a big theatrical show in front of us, and obviously something like this, a stage play that is singing and dancing, lends itself to dance, and I thought that, man, did that show tonight in a lot of the dancing. The people that killed it were the people that got that and really leaned into like, oh, I'm doing I'm doing Broadway right now, and because I'm doing Broadway, it's gonna it's gonna kill. And it did a lot of the times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it brought a cool energy of like absolutely everybody focused around one story and one set of characters, and like how they're interpreting that it was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so Scott was a wicked super fan and they did a contemporary dance to the song The Wizard, and I I, you know, I've been up and down on Scott, Like when we first started.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't know what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Then I really really loved his journey and I watched this and I was like, oh no, he's going home.
Speaker 2: I thought exactly the same thing. This was not a good dance, and he was like he was and I'm going to use a scientific dancing term. He was kerfuffled at the at the beginning. I mean you could see he didn't know where to put his hands. I think he missed at least one or two lifts with her. I mean he was at the beginning very all over the place. And the side by sides. Again, he's just super clunky when he's by himself.
Speaker 1: It's just funny because like he's he's come so far and previous dances, but this one, I really the thing I wrote was awkward and shuffling, yeah, which is like, oh god, we're like five weeks into the dance show, Like you can't be awkward and shoving, So I think something just went off, Like I think he was out of time or nervous.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's too bad because he just didn't have he didn't have that fluidity and grace which I feel like he's been finding other weeks and and you know, I think he also the best part of his whole journey is that he's really gotten comfortable with his self expression physically right, and that's still there. But yes, at this point in the in the show, we need to see like, you know, actual like dance, hitting hitting those marks and like on time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was a bummer. No, I felt the same way. I thought it was one of those things where he maybe it was the dual pressure of him being such a Wicked fan coupled with going first, which for some people that's got to be rough. But you could tell he was just he was off. There's times he's like staring at his feet and you know his again, his hands were kind of all over the place. It was pretty and.
Speaker 1: At this point I was like, oh God, maybe Wicked Night is going to be awful. What was I just like, we're coming off of so much emotion from last week.
Speaker 2: I mean literally like I was.
Speaker 1: Crying start to finish of Robert Irwin's thing, you know. So it's like I was really and so to be like and now which is and see I was like, oh god, and you know this one started it off and I was like, oh man, he loves this. But it's not translating like maybe you know. But turns out it was a good night for dancing. Next up Alex and Val.
Speaker 2: I thought this was oh.
Speaker 1: What wait, actually we should say what they were scored. They got sevens across the board, which was pretty kind.
Speaker 2: I thought, pretty pretty generous. Frankly, yeah, and I'm sorry, but if if there were the same kind of things done for Andy, he would have gotten at least one six right yeah, right all right?
Speaker 1: Next up where Alex and Val. Their sink was insanely good. I could not get over this dance, like in terms of just them moving. You know, maybe it was coming off of Scott and Riley too right slightly off, but I thought this was like, what, this is so fun? And I was like, Okay, this is gonna be a good night. They were dancing too, what is this feeling? They were doing a jazz dance?
Speaker 2: What do you think I mean? Again, I thought it was I thought it was great. This is this is kind of lending itself again to the stage presence and the being on Broadway kind of feel to me. So it you know, it worked, and they were really good together they I mean, they always are, so it's, uh, yeah, it's they're great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, came out with nine nine eight nine. And this is the beginning of what I would say was like, it's a really it was a high scoring night, very and and pretty much across the board. I was like surprised. I mean, actually, if you had asked me three weeks ago, I would have said their scoring is way too low based on what we were saying. But I guess they're like progressively, they just up everybody's score, right, because don't doesn't it seem like everybody was like we're all in like eight through ten territory. Now, Like if you're getting a six or seven, it's real bad. It's real bad.
Speaker 2: You might as well be getting a two if you're getting six.
Speaker 1: And that's the way I just feel like, that's is that reflective of the fact that they are actually getting better in such a way that like you and I can't see how they're getting better. Or is it just that the judge is just up the ante by making the scores higher.
Speaker 2: I think they do that, but I also think there's something kind of weirdly arbitrary about that and all the scoring, because it's like, does that mean you come out, you give the best dance they've ever seen on night one, you're still only going to get a six? I mean, like, if you're not open to judging the thing for what it is, you know what we should do.
Speaker 1: We should go back and watch like Robert Erwin's first dance, right, because I wonder because I remember the time being like, well that's perfect, give the guy tens or whatever, you know, right, and there were a couple of early ones. I just randomly picked his. I remember we all liked it. But like, I'd like to go back and watch like a week one dance that only got seven and compare it to like one of this week's nines. Yea, because my feeling is I don't know, but my feeling is they're just getting higher like that there's there's they're just gettinglation judging that great it's great jugulation gentulation. Yeah, because I don't know or you know, or maybe they really are like doing better at certain things, like technically that I'm just not seeing like they are more on time or in sync. I don't know, but anyway, yes, these two were perfectly in sync.
Speaker 2: I would think it argue because you you always talk about Whitney and I and I think you're I think it. No, no, no, you talk about uh what's her name, Danielle, daniel lavorite. You could argue Val as the best dancer out there. I mean that guy was was shredding it and his uh, his choreography is really good too. I mean, this was very engaging, and this was a week I thought about you during this. This was a week we're not only did I not mind when they were lip syncing when they weren't, it kind of threw me a little bit, like I felt like I was watching a play when they were lip syncing a bit and I kind of dug it. I didn't know I hit it.
Speaker 1: I just I just I had to turn that part of my brain off because I was like, oh, they're like all going to do it, and I totally understand why because they're basically doing musical numbers, but like they also all stopped halfway through, so that I'm like are you're not in character anymore. I just don't don't go there.
Speaker 2: I didn't bother me this week. But yeah, they were great, all right.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a little less emotional and you know, but great dancing when the two guys pick her up and throw her to him, really cool moves like.
Speaker 2: This cool move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Next up, we're Robert and Whitney. These guys are i mean, some of the front runners here. And they said, going into the package, they said this is going to be their most ambitious dance yet, which I was like, huh, really, he's been pretty damn ambitious. They did a jazz dance to Dancing through Life, and you know, it was incredible.
Speaker 2: It was great. I don't think it was their best dance, frankly, I know they said there was more ambitious. It was more ambitious. Maybe it was more ambitious because there were more people involved. I mean, it's like he started as essentially one of the dance dancers of the show. He was like him and like nine people around that table, which is a little bit different also, just like he's just blending in with the pros. Now, that's what I mean. That's what I mean. It's like you don't, He's just one of them. Now.
Speaker 1: I thought this was just so fun, you know, it was just like a solid, great dance. I mean, I just think that he's probably the best dancer of the celebrities.
Speaker 2: Of the stars, I think it's him and Whitney who's the professional dancer exactly. But yes, I think so too. I'm waiting for like a week to come out where they're like, oh my god, the choreography was amazing and he's like, yeah, that was met Corey. I Korey drafted this week, Like wait, what so see.
Speaker 1: It's funny because like, I don't even really count Whitney as a star. I just think of her as a dancer, you know what I mean Exactly, I don't. I think she's great at what she's doing, and I do like watching the dances. I don't feel like it's fitting with the story of this show. But I guess that's but that's but that's partly unfair because I'm not somebody who looks to influencers as celebrities, right, Like, I'm totally of the generation where that if you're on a reality show or you're I don't know, like you know which I guess maybe you could say about Robert too, like is he a celebrity?
Speaker 2: Is he? I don't care about the celebrity status at all for me. I look at what's made to a celebrity, and what's made her a celebrity is dancing, right right. You know, if she's a celebrity influencer who all she does is cook and she's the biggest cook celebrity influencer, and then they come and teach her how to dance, that's great. Yes, that's she's paid to dance. I don't care what the platform is. She's a paid dancer, So that's what it is for me. But yeah, he's you're right, he just he's now part of them. He's a he's a dancer. So yeah, was once again a great performance to watch. And I still think he I don't think anybody's gonna beat him this year. I just I don't think anybody's gonna beat him because he's he's he's so he's.
Speaker 1: So solid as a dancer, and then his his his personality, he's just so likable and.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, his family is super likable. His family is Dancing with the Stars royalty. They would repeat again with with you know, his sister having one. It's the story is built in.
Speaker 1: Is there another, like younger brother or sister who's gonna.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's another, but yeah, that's daughter's there. The whole time, I'm guessing Bendi's daughter is already dancing. Uh, they're already training her to get ready. So it is. It's become a it's a powerhouse Dancing with the Stars family. Okay, so we're in that territory now now.
Speaker 1: Nine nine nine nine. Yeah, so here we are.
Speaker 2: We're in a high, high scoring territor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and but it was great. I thought I thought it was deserved. All right, Whitney and Mark, this is a quick step, tons of little little quick steps. I was so impressed, amazing, incredible and incredible. Hated the color of the outfits.
Speaker 2: I get that they're doing that, but the every everything pepto bismal color. It was not a fan of.
Speaker 1: I know, it's a little weird.
Speaker 2: It was a little weird, but yeah, it's you're watching two professional dancers dance amazingly. Well yeah, film at eleven, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, there's something a little like, okay, cool, but you know there was it was advanced. Do you know what I mean, like, there was actually hugely this that I could tell even as a complete amateur. I'm like, this is hard, like to keep up with each other and exactly. And I was like, it's just so it was just so fast and like whoa coming at you? So I figured there were going to be tens.
Speaker 2: And you notice in the pre show package, even the pre show package for hers different because the pre show package her mark her pro is talking to her like she's another pro. Yeah. I mean he's said, there's no smiles, there's no anything. He's like, no, no, no, no, no, your turn here. And she's like, yeah, I know, and he's like, yeah, you do it backwards. It's gonna look it's gonna look straight. Like he's talking to her like another professional dancer. Yeah. You know. You see the package, the pre show package with her and the pre show package with Andy, they're very different.
Speaker 1: Things, completely different conversation, completely different Hold up, yes, right, I'm so curious how that's resonating with the fans of the show, you know, because obviously people keep voting Andy to stay right, So clearly the voting public is voting not just on their dancing ability, but on their personality on their presentation or their their choreography choices or storytelling whatever it is that we're you know, and I just wonder, I mean, like, does she have an army of fans TikTok fans who already you know, I don't know, like, and how does that number compared to like Daniel Fishle's, you know, popularity, Like, because I have no concept when people tell me that, like something gets ten million downloads or somebody has eleven million followers, Like, that's a that's a scale that my brain just like, what is that? What does that translate to? It's something like this, do you know what I mean? I understand what that translates to in terms of when they post a video how many people watch it, But what does that translate to in terms of like.
Speaker 2: Vote you're yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I calling you in this context.
Speaker 2: I think the finals are going to be between Robert and her, and I think it's going to come down to does somebody want to vote for the professional dancer or somebody want to vote for the guy. But again, it's not like Robert had never danced a day in his life. He's obviously been preparing for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he watched his sister win when he was exactly twelve or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was probably like, okay, yeah, I could do that someday. It right, Yeah, exactly, plus.
Speaker 1: Watching I mean just he's probably because of his sister understands balroom dancing, has seen it, having watched the show back then, and like, you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: So curious if he trained for this at all. Where it was like the time.
Speaker 1: We're talking about the two of the youngest competitors in the show. Yeah, is that a coincidence, Like, of.
Speaker 2: Course it's twenty five two and Robert is twenty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I take that back. I didn't realize what it was.
Speaker 2: I thought it didn't. It was great for thirty two. I would have said she was twenty four to twenty five. Yeah, wow, but yes, it's it helps when you're younger. It certainly. Yes, Oh my god, you see that. Yes? Oh wait what did they get? Oh you're right?
Speaker 1: Uh oh. There were scores through the roof. This was ten, nine, ten and ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first ten's ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think I think it's just because this was really advanced technically, Like I think the quick step was just freaking hard. And yeah, so I think the judges are just like on, yeah, you can't because in terms of like expressibility or like storytelling through dance, like nothing beats last week and that happened this week for me, No, but agreed, but we didn't get like any ten. I don't think if there was a single ten right last week, so which is just yeah, so again, it was funny.
Speaker 2: You You wonder if the judges talk about it beforehand, because if you go back and watch Derek's face when she pulls the ten, the face is either wow, that wasn't a ten, or wow, we talked about not pulling ten's this week. Wow it was one of those faces because he was like wow when he saw carry an pull out. Correct, when she pulled a ten, he was like he gave this face like whoa, Okay.
Speaker 1: It just seems like she's kind of on her own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Which is interesting, like because they're all supposed to be kind of be on their own, but it seems like Bruno and Derek are much more in line yeah, or like understand where each other are coming from in a way that it feels like Carrie, it's a little out of left field. Like they're always like, oh okay.
Speaker 2: It also felt a little bit this week and we hopped, we heaped on with that myself mostly where it felt a little bit this week like she had been reading her own press and people or bashing and man, she was nice to everybody. Everybody. It was like, oh my god, you're my long lost sister. Like it was like the like you couldn't she couldn't have been nicer this week with her with her praise. So yeah, I think she she over corrected a little bit. This poor woman. She can't win for trying. You know, we're gonna bash.
Speaker 1: Your job is to judge.
Speaker 2: You're judge. You're so judgmental, Like literally what I'm paid to be here for this poor woman. I feel bad. I'm hopping off the bandwagon. I feel bad. I feel bad.
Speaker 1: Next up, we're Dylan and Daniella. Ya dude, I just and she did it again. It was like watching a non human. I really the way she flies around, it's like she's being pulled by strings from above or lifted from I just don't understand how she gets from like one side of his body to the other side of his body. He's a pole, yes, yeah, And it's like and it's but it never feels like effort, do you know what I mean? Like it's this crazy, it's like her body becomes a flame, flickering around or something. It's so it's so impressive. I just don't I've just never seen anything like it. When I did think that this was a step back from last week.
Speaker 2: I thought one hundred percent. I did not think he was as good this week. He felt a little clunky. Yep, and was this the Derek gave one of the best comments I've heard since the show started. What somebody no, But again I didn't. I don't know if it was here or if it was somebody else, but it worked here where he said, a dance is like a story where it's not individual sentences, it's the entire story has to flow, so you're not finishing a sentence and then moving on to the next one, and when you When I thought about it in those terms, it made some sense. And I couldn't remember if it was this one, because that's the feeling that I might.
Speaker 1: Have been in response to Scott in then it might have been Scott. It could have been Scott. His transitions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that same kind of feeling with this one where it felt a little bit like he was he was just more clunky this this week than he had been before.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so funny because I said in the pre show or the pre dance package that the Latin the fact that it was a Latin dance made him nervous, which I hadn't really thought about. But right, there's like a different rhythm and style to that, and he does seem more uncomfortable with that. Yeah, because when I think about the first week, when he first came out, it was like, oh, this guy's okay, but you know, and and he's gotten so much more comfortable.
Speaker 2: But then, yeah, it just felt a little like well he talked about I think one of the things that made him so uncomfortable was the sexiness of it, where it's like he said that he's like the romantic thing is not really me. So I wonder if if that's what was getting him out of his head where it's like you've got to I imagine for a dancer, like two true dance partners, when they're on the floor, you can't tell whether they're actually sleeping together in real life or not, you know what I mean, It's like their lovers when they're on the dance floor. And so if you can't get out of your head about that to be like, okay, I gotta that this is my partner, then maybe it's a tough thing. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's too bad because you two. I mean, because like he clearly got out of his head last week. You know he was dancing for his sister, right, so you're right, maybe when he maybe he just needs to take all that out, you know, and like it's not about looking sexy or looking cool, because I think that's the worst. That's the death of any dancer, right right, that self consciousness. So whatever brings self consciousness, take it away. Oh it's got to be so hard. I would be the worst.
Speaker 2: That's the same thing last night I was like, this is why I can't do would never be able to do the show. I would never be able to just let go. I couldn't do it. I'd be so self conscious.
Speaker 1: But if it was a comedy Britice, Like imagine if you were hired to be a character for in a season of Dancing with the Stars, that's different. You would kill it, I know, think about it. Isn't that weird though, Like you mentally if you were like, oh, I'm going to play uh Eric Matthews going on Dancing with the Stars. I mean I know right now, just me saying that sentence gave you like four dance moves you want to do of course, right, and you would kill it and physically you would commit in a way that would be so funny and so great and probably just as physically challenging as trying to really dance as Wilfred Ell. And but it's so it's just the actor thing and you like, you would commit.
Speaker 2: When I miss So with Love on the show, they sent me to somebody a singing and when I was actually trying to sing it, I was so self conscious. And then he said the same things like we'll sing it as your character, and I was like, oh, that's perfect, done.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you're never worried about it again, no, god no, And hit all the notes and hit all the notes.
Speaker 2: Right. So that's the thing is, you know, that's you're right, You're right, You're just gonna get Yeah, you just have to beget in the character. Man.
Speaker 1: You just look at it all as a as an acting exercise, you know.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, that would be rough, but yeah, it felt like he was way more You're right, took a step back self conscious wise. This week. I thought, and didn't they get all eight?
Speaker 1: All eight's fair? I thought it did seem fair. But I'm bummed. I didn't want them. I don't want them to go. I want these guys to be like Top three.
Speaker 2: I think they will be.
Speaker 1: I helpe that it's getting less and less likely, though, because the competition is so fierce.
Speaker 2: It's really good. Yeah, it's really.
Speaker 1: Stiff, all right. Next up Andy and Emma and I just you know, I love that. Andy's just like I'm still here.
Speaker 2: Can you believe this? And I love them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we none of us can believe it, dude, but we still like it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: A criticism of Dancing with the Stars as a show. I do find these pre show packages to be somewhat personality less a lot of the time, Like they focus on like the dance themselves or how hard it's going to be. And like, I just like Andy's shine through because he is a comedian, he is he has so much personality. But I really wish that the producers of the show or the directors of the show would would give us a little more uniqueness about each person. It's interesting that they don't, do you know what I mean? Like, I mean, obviously, I think that's why I like last week is because we finally got a little glimpse into someone else from their life.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's just it strikes me as a little bland. I'm always kind of like, like, like I said, when we watch the Disney one, I was like, everybody tells the same story about Disney, and it really does what we're going to talk about. But I guess, you know.
Speaker 2: Are the pre show packages getting longer as there's people off, or if dance is getting longer or both? I think it's but I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think the dancers are getting longer because I'm surprised by how short they are.
Speaker 2: Are you think there's still a minute? Interesting?
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they don't feel longer to me. Every time I'm like, oh that was you know, it doesn't. It doesn't feel like it's getting more intent, right, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, they danced jazz to one short day, you know this is I just feel like you can only go so far.
Speaker 2: Well, that's my question. Is he's awesome. We love him, He's so much fun to watch. When is it time to go next week? Yeah? When do you go? Ah, dude, you've done better than anyone thought you were going to do. You're so personable. Oh my god, you're going to be a special correspondent to Dancing with the Stars for the next five seasons. Your personality is amazing. But now we're going to concentrate more on the dance, and we're at the halfway point, and now it's now it might be time for you to go. Yeah, because if quote unquote real dancers and people that have really progressed start getting kicked off, so Andy can stay because we like him, it's another kind of red flag for the show a little bit for me.
Speaker 1: That's interesting, right, But do you feel that way about Scott?
Speaker 2: No? No, I thought this was because I thought Scott had not progressed enough. Andy is progressing, and I think a lot of it they touched on this last time. And as somebody who's had weight problems my entire life or can fluctuate in waight quite a bit, he's lost a ton of weight and that's going to help every aspect of his body. You know, it's gonna help his knees, it's gonna help his legs. It's we're seeing that he can move easier. When you drop weight, you just can't. So it's one of those things where he is progressing. So I think this was the right call for who went home this week? But now or to the point where you'd really have to justify why you'd kick somebody else off over Andy, Right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. During the judging, Carrie Ane said this thing that dance is for everyone is the theme of this show, and I was like, oh, is it okay?
Speaker 2: Like I was like, there was.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's, you know, going back to discussion we've been having since week one.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the theme.
Speaker 1: For half of this show, right, you know, because there are the people that you're just like, Oh, everybody's getting better, everybody's learning how to dance, and no matter who you are, no matter what your background, you have a shot at you know, dancing. And I feel like Andy is.
Speaker 2: That part of the show. He's just the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's a weird way though getting this far in. I kind of missed Corey Feldman.
Speaker 2: Last night, Like did you that last night.
Speaker 1: No, I just like miss a little more randomness, a little more like up and down excitement of like who's you know, I don't know, Like I suddenly was like because at the time I remember being like, yeah, he doesn't belong as you know, and I think, but in general, like it feels like so much of this cast is just really good dancers. Their personalities are totally likable and fine.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: They got their pre dance packages that are just fine, like I said, a little bland, and then you have somebody like Andy who's like, you know, got the personality, And I was like, we could have a whole season of just Andy's dancing against each other.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And that's what I was like, Cory Felman, they might do that. Yeah, I thought the same thing, And I'm sure there have been seasons like that, but this season seems a little rigged with like eighty percent actually great dancers who are not going to really like weird personalities or make mistakes in like some crazy way.
Speaker 2: And then like, yeah, I just I agree. I thought the same thing. If they do a season of people like me who said I've never danced, I can't dance, no one can teach me how to dance. That's a fun season of a show to watch for me. So fun.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just commitment, right, Commitment is the point, and like that's that's what we're celebrating with.
Speaker 2: Like Andy is his commitment? Yea, like going for it. And when he's in with a whole group of people and they're all there at the end and he's one of ten people kind of doing these basic moves, he was fine. You know. It was one of those things where it was like it was it was if the goal is to entertain you, he'll win every week. If the goal is to dance, it might be time that we say goodbye Andy, and we talk about this because being on Dancing with This is one of the jokes of getting you on the show. Being on Dancing with Stars and doing the work and dancing and doing the show is only one part of the job. The the other part is this social media blitz that they have to do all the time. So you are you're reaching out to your people and it's like vote for me, vote for me, vote for me. It's it's so strange. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, if you, if you, if I could do Dancing with the stars and take that out of the equation, like in other words, never have to do an interview outside of the show. I mightier do that, is like way I'd like I could wrap my head around that. Yeah, but you're exactly right like that other fifty percent of the equation is the part that scares.
Speaker 2: Me the most. It makes me the most uncomfortable. Oh wow, terrible.
Speaker 1: Uh Andy and Emma got seven six seven, seven, which seems kind.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's that they're being they're being general, but again also fair. If everybody's being bumped up just to kind of be bumped up, then he's better than he was when he was getting all sixes, so he yes, I could see the sevens all right.
Speaker 1: Elena Allen came out. They danced contemporary to define gravity. I thought this was one of her best of the whole season.
Speaker 2: I did too, But I have a question, and it's just a question. I watched it twice and I timed it the second time. I think, I know what you're gonna say. For thirty seconds of the dance, she's not dancing. She doesn't dance. I know, she goes onto this big rig thing. They cut to the professional male dancer who just sits there on camera as they then raise her up and she points the wand is that a cheat?
Speaker 1: No, because if you look at what she actually did before then it was well well done, like a dance half her dance The same thought, man, I honestly I was like, oh, where'd she go? She's not dancing half of this dance? Why are we watching other people? But then it was such a good, good show stopping moment to have her elevated and yeah, but no, she's she's on the platform, she's not dancing.
Speaker 2: She's do that with Andy every week, have him do a couple of steps and then throw them somewhere where he gets to acting money in front of a thing.
Speaker 1: I think because she's earned, Because what she did last week, I feel like she's earned. She's proven that she commits to the dancing, the technical dancing side, physically she's doing that. So I think instead, especially with a you know, an actor background, coming into a musical theater themed week, I think they just took the risk of like, let's just blow, let's just blow everybody with the greatest show, like the greatest show visual, and I think they pulled it off. Like because I think she's earned it. Like I I think if Andy had done this, you'd be like, dude, you still haven't quite shown that you can actually just do the dancing side where she's done the dancing, So now.
Speaker 2: She's just making it the best show she can. Yet that's fair. I mean, that's that's I think that's a fair assessment. But I was I thought about it. I was like, this is like a minute long and thirty seconds of it. She wasn't dancing. Again, I'm not I'm not bashing her, I just man question.
Speaker 1: Since we've been talking, I realized they got the same scorer as Danielle, and that kind of bumps me out.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying that because when I think about it.
Speaker 1: In comparison to how how hard Danielle was actually technically dancing the entire time, that she probably should have gotten an AD And I agree, the board seems way too high.
Speaker 2: Great show. Didn't dance half of the show. So again, I really like her. I like her story. Her journey has been one of my favorite ones to watch, So you know, I get it. But you know it's like, hey, for for half of my song for American Idol, I'm not going to sing Yeah, would people have been like, you didn't sing half of your song? Of course they would, but the half you did sing it was great. It's a judger on that half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think dropping a point or two from a couple of judges.
Speaker 2: Again, same. I don't you wonder how much they were just blown away in the room, you know, because I'm sure, well that's one of the things.
Speaker 1: Somebody suddenly up in the air all the smoke and I mean, I'm sure it was just like, oh my god, they did it, and like, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things Sue and I were talking about was this would have been a fun week to be on the stage to see how they're doing everything. This would have been really really cool.
Speaker 1: All right, Next up Jen and Johan. I feel like she's struggling a little bit.
Speaker 2: I agree. I again, it's such a horrible thing to say. She seems so lovely and I every week she pops up, I'm like, oh, that's right. It just kind of she just blends in a bit and she seems such like so lovely and so nice, and it seems like she's working really hard, but she's just kind of there. Yeah. I don't think she's she's gonna last very, very long. Yeah. Now, question, going back to our original conversation, would you, let's say everything played out plays out next week exactly like it plays out played out this week, would you think it would be justified to get rid of her before Andy?
Speaker 1: No, not in this field, I see, I feel in this this is a this is a season. I mean, I can imagine the season, like I said, where it is more about personality and progress as as dancers, in which days Andy's killing it. It would be so much fun to see in a field of people like that, but in a field with like really good dancers at this point and people physically just upping their game like he he.
Speaker 2: Can only go so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's unfair to her at this point to be judged for a personality contest when it's not supposed to be, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like it's it's.
Speaker 1: A popularity contest necessarily it's half of that, and the other half should be that she's really dancing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I agree one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So they did the foxtrot to as Long as You Are Mine?
Speaker 2: Did you like any did you like the music? Did anything really stick out with you? Where you're like man killer songs. No.
Speaker 1: You know the thing about musicals for me, I really like I don't listen to them out out of content that off like I really liked them in the story. Like when I'm watching a thing and I see the song as part of the story, I like it, But I don't then go except for like the classics like lay Miz and you know those.
Speaker 2: I had Hamilton on a loop in my house.
Speaker 1: Did you even Hamilton? Even Hamilton? Like, I think there was like one or two songs I liked to listen to, but then you know, yeah, I don't choose, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Out of context.
Speaker 1: I wasn't really listening to the lyrics of these, and I wasn't really thinking about so I just want to I just want to go watch them.
Speaker 2: That Defying Gravity song was really good, but I think that was actually the big one. I think that's that's where they and I thought it was such a big song and a breakout song that that's what that's why they had them do the opening number to it, because then they weren't gonna let anybody else use it where it's like, hey, it's not fair if one of you gets this big song. But then it was a lame song, so it's like, oh, okay, then I guess they did let the music. Oh, I guess the opening number was a melody or was a medley medley like a vegetable medley. I guess.
Speaker 1: I thought Jen really hurt herself at the ending of this dance. Do you remember where she like walked and turned.
Speaker 2: And turn she walks away from him like at like thirty feet and then turns and looks at the camera. Yeah. I was like what. I was like, we that's like I was it just it just didn't land.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, and partly I think that that was kind of like an actory.
Speaker 2: Moment, do you know what I mean? And she's not an actor. Yeah, take your moment, take your stage. And it was like, yeah, it didn't work.
Speaker 1: It didn't it didn't work, and it didn't land heavy enough. So I thought that was a poor choice in terms of choreography to put the pressure on her for that particular.
Speaker 2: Type of a completely agree with you. Yeah, they got eight's, which seemed fair. I would say that was fair. Yeah, I would. I would this week put her on par with Dylan e Front. I thought they were right kind of there, so that. Yes, the scoring made sense to me where they they all got eight.
Speaker 1: But whereas he was a little bit of a downgrade from last week, and I thought she was an improvement from last week.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with that either. Still just man, she's still just kind of there. Yeah, that's too bad, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up someone named Danielle fischl n This lady, this Lady.
Speaker 2: Top that was her tope something like that. She played Topagi on Family Matters, on step by Matters. What can you say? Dude? I was so happy.
Speaker 1: I was just so happy because I was like, you know, like I already said, like I was just last week. I was like, is this the right strategy for Danielle? Like I feel like she still needs to like show showcase a that she can do this this hard dancing, but also just bring her another side of her personality.
Speaker 2: And this was it. It was.
Speaker 1: It was like both technically insane. I kept believe with her injured leg, she's doing this crap, but then also it had so much personality and so much like just a cool sexy vibe to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she also looked phenomenal. She did her legs seemed like six feet long, like what's the technical feet long and shredded muscle. This is this is a tiny woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's one of the smallest people I've ever like, you know, Dan Yelle, and she's a wee person.
Speaker 2: He's watiful. But you would never call.
Speaker 1: Her long legged.
Speaker 2: No, you would never call her leggy. Right, And yet I was watching this, I was like, where did these legs come from? They looked like cyber.
Speaker 1: Connections, like you know, it was amazing, and she was moving them perfectly. I was just so impressed.
Speaker 2: It was this was this was such a great the.
Speaker 1: Way she kept doing the little kicks and like the there was like I just was and yeah, I thought dude.
Speaker 2: Parents called me from a three hour advance having seen the show, like oh my god, wait to see Danielle. It's she was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I was really. I I know, we like joke about like how like oh we knew Danielle is the star of the show or whatever, but this did surprise me.
Speaker 2: Like I was like, oh, like I knew she I hoped she could up her game, but I was like, oh, she actually can. Yelp, there's no.
Speaker 1: Limit here, Like she's gonna she has a shot at winning this thing, and like we're being in the top five, top three at least.
Speaker 2: I think I was just like, damn, like you are my favorite dance of hers by far, and the best one she's done since her first night. I think. Personal I completely agree. She just I feel rushed it, she arguably to me. And again we talk about how we're biased, but she arguably to me, all things being considered was dance of the night. Yeah, yeah, I agree. It was just it was great, Yeah, so fun to see. Oh wait, what did she get? Oh? Nines? And then then her first night and she was ecstatic when she got four nines. Yeah. And second, this is where, of course, writer we always do with is his dude, you've dance, thank you hit all the notes again? You can tell so.
Speaker 1: Argentine Tango, tell me about it. I bet it's from Argentina. Strange enough.
Speaker 2: It's not what it was born inos airis No, it's what it says. I mean, it's what I know. A partner dance born in Buenos Aires that combined Spanish, Creole and African influences. It is characterized by mark rhythms, dramatic pauses, and close embrace. While there are no notable Argentine dances like the folk dance Zamba and the carnival street performance la Merga. The term typically brings to mind the passionate and complex movements of the tango. So there you go. It was a complex dance. It was really cool. The ending where they're like holding her down and she's like in this weird position. Super cool. Yeah, this was This was great And the only note that she got I didn't disagree with where it didn't look like she was breathing a lot. But that's I mean, she's like she didn't have time to. So yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: Great, So all right, we went on to Jordan and Ezra your faves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, oh my god, I just love her. What a way to close? Yeah, I thought this. They did the rumba too for good, another song from the musical.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, I feel like her personality is really coming through even more.
Speaker 2: And she's just she's just physically amazing, right, Like, yeah, she's incredible, incredible. We've talked about the control that she has over her body, which is something she's obviously been studying with gymnastics since she was a kid. But it's yeah, she's it's she's one of those people that kind of seems like if she wanted to, she could go off and become a professional dancer, right right? Uh? Ten? Nine, ten and ten, which Derek's still not given tens. Derek is not given tens. He hasn't given one out yet, so he's holding back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so this tide with Whitney and Marcus the best or the highest score of the night. Yeah, I'm so curious how she's doing votes wise, really the.
Speaker 2: Same thing because she doesn't, does she? I mean again, I know that gymnastics is hugely is a hugely popular sport, and I think they have a big, a big community around gymnastics and cheerleading and stuff like that, which I think would all kind of be in the same realm. I know people say no, but I think it is. So I don't know either. You wonder what her fan base is like, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think she plays to the personality game as much either, do you know what I mean? Like she you can tell that she's like here for the dancing, here's for that part of this.
Speaker 2: She's a competitor. I mean, she's a competitor, That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: She's much more of like an athlete in terms of like, you know, so she I don't think she cares as much about like agreed, you know, smiling for camera and everybody. She's kind of like if you like me, like me, if you don't, you know, And I wonder how that's playing.
Speaker 2: It's a great question because she is. She's an athlete in a competition. She is here to win. That's you put your game face on and you go and you win. And that's what she's been trained to do. That she's done at the highest level for fifteen years doing it.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, getting the highest scores yep. So she's doing something right. Yeah, but you're right, I have no idea, like I just I just want a little like vote count.
Speaker 2: Or subcons you do right there.
Speaker 1: They're they're you're smart though, because if they did it, would you know, yeah, it would probably take away some of the intrigue of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agreed to. But then you also gets that are like, are we learned? Do we know everything we're supposed to know? So yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So we went into elimination and I I had already called it in my household watching it, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Scott too, and sure, it wasn't a surprise. Yeah, right, but Andy seems surprised. Andy's gonna be surprised every week, right.
Speaker 1: Because he's just can't believe he's still there no matter what. But yeah, and I I I could tell this was coming because I just he was, he was. He took a step back as a dancer this week. And I'm sure popular voting wise, you know, I just don't know how big his band is.
Speaker 2: But I am mad big, but it's not Yeah, yeah, it's not it's a band, it's not him, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Correct him as an individual, he's going to be probably less popular than a lot of the other people.
Speaker 2: I agree, one percent. And it just was a rough week. I mean, he you could really tell he was kind of stumbling through it this week. It wasn't It wasn't great, all right?
Speaker 1: That was our week six Dancing with the Star, crazy bro crazy true. I know, I don't know, like I just feel like it becomes a different show every week now, you know.
Speaker 2: Like, So, yeah, you got a question for me, of course I have a question for you. But at first, as we've learned from last week, as we take one away, well let's see, so This is the strong incentive, ladies and gentlemen. The strong incentive is, of course, what it would take to get right or strong to join Dancing with the Stars. As we learned last week for the first time, indifference has consequence, and so not making a decision is a decision onto itself, and so ryder. This week, once again, I'm going to need you to pick a random number between one and four. One. I'd like to point out I don't know these either. I wrote something on one side, flipped them over, shuffle them up and put the numbers on the front, so I don't know what it is until I flip it over. You picked one, and so this week you have lost the sprinter van. The sprinter van is no longer on the table.
Speaker 1: So what's on the table? We got leather jacket.
Speaker 2: Well, that's gonna say. So we had it set up where you originally got five hundred grand, a sprinter van, Sean's original leather jacket, og magic cards, plus a black Lotus card and the deed to coffee CAATs opening again in Sebastian. The five hundred grand is now gone and the sprinter van is now gone. So what is left is your leather jacket, the magic cards with the black lotus and the deed to Coffee cat all the personal ones. Yeah, pretty much. But you're actually saved this week because that's same sprinter van company calls you and said, hey, right or strong because you answered your landline. You still have the landline by the way in your house, so the phone rings pick it up. You hear KL five four thousand sprinter van company, and the sprinter van company says to you, Hey, we heard you didn't like our original sprinter van that we were going to send to you. We're going to let you pick whatever sprinter van you want. However, oh it's not going to be here in the United States. It's going to be for your one year, all expenses paid, life in New Zealand. Oh my god. Everything is taken care of. Your home here will be taken care of. Indie's education will be taken care of, and you need to live in whatever sprinter van you would like in New Zealand, all expenses paid for one year. If you'd only do Dancing with the.
Speaker 1: Stars, yes, I would do it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you didn't even think about it.
Speaker 1: That's too good, man, because if I think about doing dance with the stars, knowing that for a year I'm gonna be with my family traveling and have enough comfort and security to be able to do writing and get like my own creative projects done in a beautiful place exploring the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I would do it. Wow, so with the stars?
Speaker 1: Yes, all is all I have to Somebody has to pay for a year of my life in New Zealand in a camera van. Give me coffee, Kats, that's still on the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your ratchet.
Speaker 1: I guess I get to come home and own a piece of like my childhood. Yes, yes, it's too good, dude. And I get the load of the jacket.
Speaker 2: Yep, you got me? All right, Well we made it through. The strong incentive is done?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, dude, that's that is. It's like literally my dream to be able to you know, live somewhere else and camp and with my family, and if it was all like taken care of and there was no pressure, I would totally commit to Wow whatever, three months of absolute misery, I mean three months of pure just awfulness. I Mean the thing is, I'd probably get eliminated pretty quickly, because you don't know that if you committed me such a downer stick in the mud unless you commit it to the dance. Dude, give this guy. I would, I mean, I would try, honestly, with the dancing. I would try. I would want to get in shape and like, but it would be awful. No one wants to see me dance. No one wants that.
Speaker 3: I know people hearing me saying no one wants to see Well, I'm gonna have to come up with a new game now I know. Man, we're going to that's too good, Like, I can't turn that down. I figured you were.
Speaker 2: Going to say no to this one. But the yes, the one I had saved for an absolute yes, was going to be a three picture deal at Warner Brothers. To do any of your own films that you want to do. Oh I should have waited, God damn it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, to be able like to direct, you mean, like direct any of your own three films. I would do anything for that. I would.
Speaker 2: I would. I would. That's why I was going to do with the Stars.
Speaker 1: For the next six seasons. I would commit to that.
Speaker 2: I would do, Bury me, bury me alive with the stars. The person who lasts the most underground to do three? All right, great? Well, the Strong incentive is done. We got them week six, So I'm gonna have to come up with something new. Now, I'll come up with a new game for next week. Amazing, We're gonna have to start dressing you up or doing your own pre show package or something. We'll figure something out, all right.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Pod Meets Tworld. Join us next week as we continue watching season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: We may not know a waltz from a.
Speaker 1: Waffle, but we know what we learned way back in Phoenie's class. Daniel Fischle is the star of the show. Pod Meats World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Daniel Fishle, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarsubach, producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.