Speaker 1: Hey, y'all.
Speaker 2: Is Laurena Rosa with the latest with Laurena Rosa on Black Effects and I cannot wait to see you guys at the fourth Annual Black Effects Podcast Festival. Okay, we're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, April twenty fifth at Palman Yards and it's hosted by me alongside DJ MV and charlottagnea God. We got drink chances of Noriega and Djafing. We gotta keep it positive, Sweetye with My Girl, Christopher n Haslt. We got Reality with the King with My Guide, then my brother Carlos King, and y'all know he does reality commentary like nobody can.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: We also have Don't Call Me White Girl, the podcast I Love Mona and Club five to twenty podcasts, along with the Grits and Eggs podcast. So this lineup sack Baby, turn up. You're also gonna want to check out the panels that we have lined up too, Feature and Cab on Stage, Pika Sumpter, and John Hope Bryant just to name a few. Of course, it's way bigger than podcast. We're bringing the Black Effect marketplace with black owned businesses, bus the food truck Court to keep you fed while you visit us. Okay, listen, you don't want to miss this. Tap in and grab your ticket down at Black Effect dot Com Flash Podcast Festival.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Money and Wealth with John Hobriyant, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio. Hey, this is John ho'brian and this is the Money and Wealth podcast series on the Black Effect Network at iHeartRadio, and this is season three. I want to thank everyone for making the last two seasons highly successful and wherever I go, you're giving me impact. This is changing your life. This episode is going to do just that I'm with. As you know, I bring guests on fairly irregularly. They have to be truly special, not only what they do, but who they are as a human being. Michael Milkin is an example of just that kind of spirit that I've had on the show called Times. So this gentleman is really special to me. We become good quick friends because of spirit we just sink of. His name is Greg Fleming, So let me get into this because we don't have a lot of time. Greg Fleming is the president and CEO of Rockefeller Capital Management. I want you to focus on Rockefeller as I come back to that in a second, but let me tell you a bit about his background. They're headquartered at Rockefeller Plaza, appropriately in New York City. They specialize in wealth management, asset management, family office services, strategic advisory services tied to wealth building. In all full disclosure, me and my family are clients of Rockefeller. They primarily serve ultra high networth families, institutions, and corporations. The firm has about just under two hundred billion. My members are right in assets under management at least that's numbers are visible. They're the modern version of a Rockefeller family office. Again, I'm gonna get into what that means in a second. He's known as the Wall Street operators operator he's been. He was at Merrill Lynch since night where he was there since nineteen ninety two, same year I founded Operation Hope after the Rodney King riots. He was head of Global Investment Banking, co President, chief operating Officer.
Speaker 4: He managed fifty billion there.
Speaker 1: He's at Morgan Stanley and you know he's I think he's a board member of Black Rock, Council of Foreign Relations, Economic Club of New York. Lectures at Yale Law School. Greg, Welcome to the podcast. I'm so excited.
Speaker 5: Thank you, John.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here and I've been looking forward to this given friendship the U and I have built.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's jump right into this because you have limited time, and unlike most of my podcast, I'm gonna talk, I'm gonna try to talk very little. Rockefeller Capital Management is a roll up of essentially the Rockefeller dynasty.
Speaker 4: Rockefeller built his wealth.
Speaker 1: You can give a little bit of background on that, and he endowed his children with assets and put some limitations, some structure about what they could do, how they could access it. Really did some family wealth planning, and is my memory serves me right, and you feel free to correct me. There's no embarrassment here. I'm just going from memory. If my memory serves me right. It's like seven generations of Rockefeller wealth went through this sort of internal structure of them having this family office for the family purposes, and at some point they said, you know, we have friends who need these same services, we have colleagues who need these same services. Let's open it up. And that allowed people like me to join the Rockefeller family. Did I get that at least partly right?
Speaker 4: You got that.
Speaker 3: I think in all material respects, they're in their seventh generation. There are three hundred and twenty five of them alive today, John and their seventh generation. It did start with the famous John D. Rockefeller Senior way back in eighteen eighty two. We have now built a firm, Rockefeller Capital Management, that takes care of the Rockefellers, a lot of them, and they're an important part of this. Two of them sit on our board, David Rockefeller Junior and Peter O'Neil. They own a piece of our business. We take care of a lot of them, so many of the family members. We give them advice like we do to your family. But we built a company. We wanted to build a company in partnership with them, using their legendary name, but we wanted to take care of successful American families across the whole country. We wanted to be the firm that was the go to choice for families that had created real wealth that they were hoping to sustain, like the Rockefellers over generations, which is not something everybody who makes money thinks about, but a lot of people are worried about having it last and taking care of succeeding generations. So we wanted to build a firm that took care of yes, the Rockefellers, but many more successful American families. And the great thing about our country is there's a lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I know justin Rockefeller and I just met one of the younger Rockefeller I'm sure great great grandchildren when I was in UAE four weeks ago. Couldn't be nice or wanted to talk to me about He says, he works with you around financial literacy the firm, and he wanted to talk to the operation Hope about bringing financial literacy into the firm's superstructure, which I was very honored. It was his idea, not mine. I mean, a very nice, humble guy, not cocky at all. Everybody I've met from Rockefeller family has been incredibly gracious.
Speaker 3: Hey, John, just can I expound on that because I was struck by the same thing, because I've really gotten to know them, and that we're in our ninth year here now, so I've gotten to know them in the last decade in depth. And the family it consists of so many really nice people, and they have a quite philanthropic spirit about giving back because the founder John Rockefeller Senior. He made all the wealth, and unlike other families where you keep the business in the family for generations, he sold it. And John Rockefeller Junior, his son, was literally the world's first great philanthropist. So they built universities. Spelman College was founded by them. The University Spelman named after Lauras Belman Rockefeller, John Rockefeller Senior's wife. What they started Rockefeller University, where twenty eight Nobel Prizes have been awarded in science and medicine, The University of Chicago, Museum of Modern Art, Lincoln Center, Grant Teesan National Park, Acadian National Park, a lot of Jackson, Wyoming.
Speaker 5: They were the first ones there. They gave a lot of that land away.
Speaker 3: They built a hospital in Beijing in nineteen twenty one that's still there today.
Speaker 5: That's part of Pee King University.
Speaker 3: So not only did they start with a lot of wealth, but they were very focused on giving back. And it's you know, it's a family with a lot of nice people trying to make a mark in life in our country, you know, not just from a well standpoint, but in terms of a lot of the other things that matter.
Speaker 1: I of course share this passion of doing well and doing good, and doing well by doing good also positive love for good capitalism. I have a book coming out that's called capitalism. It's called Capitalism for All Inclusive Economics in the Future Proving of America, and it goes right into this, straight into this debate the country's having, which seems to be about either your four or year against wealth.
Speaker 4: And I think it's the wrong debate.
Speaker 1: And all the major employers in this country, eighty percent plus are private sector employers. The wealth came from the legitimate wealth came from private sector of interests. The philanthropy came from private sector interests like Rockefeller. Yes they get a tax benefit from it, absolutely enshould. But you can give it away unless you made it. And there's other examples, clearly other than mister Rockefeller, John Rockefeller, but this is a good example. I didn't know the Spellman example at all. I'd try to be pretty bummed up.
Speaker 4: Did you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to repeat this again. You said that the Leman College was named after John's wife.
Speaker 3: I get that right, Yes, Lauris Bellman Rockefeller. That's where Spelman College in eighteen eighty four. And John, to the point that you're raising, which is so important because this is true of your family and so many of our clients. They make wealth and then they want to do good things with it. Yeah, and I'm always talking about one of the great things about the American economy, one of the reasons it's the world's still the world's greatest economy. Yes, we have these incredible big companies, but there are thirty three million businesses in the United States that employ fewer than five hundred people, employing sixty million Americans. Many of them are family owned businesses that have been in the family for years, for generations. We work with a lot of those families and they're trying to build the business, hire more people who then get a good job. So there, you know, the capitalist machine in the United States is critically important for job creation and giving people something fulfilling to do in life, for wealth creation, and then giving back. And again, as I said, your family is typical in our client base of Look, you may be on the extreme because you're so focused on philanthropy and so focused on giving back, and you know you do that even through all of the.
Speaker 5: Messaging that you do.
Speaker 3: But we actually have a group within Rockefeller Capital Management that we call philanthropic advisory we demand from our clients is so great to set up foundations and to give money back to causes that.
Speaker 5: They care about.
Speaker 3: That we have to have a group that provides advice to those families and how to do it well, how to set it up in a way where if you're focused on, you know, one topic, you can build the foundation and really go after that topic. Education, the environment, you know, you know, economic inequality that our clients are going after, you know, so many of the challenging problems in society that we have to have a group help them set up the foundations so they can spend the money that way. Now, there's a lot to be said for what you know, the model you describe, which is in order to give it the way you've got to make it, and by the way, in making it, if you build a family business, you're creating jobs that are good jobs for people that they can obviously then earn their own income.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. And I'm going to address all.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go on tour this whole year, Greg and maybe we'll come and have a conversation there at Rockefeller. I want to audiences large and small. I want to say look, you don't have to be It's not about black or white, or red or blue. It's about the green. Okay, it's not about Republican Democratic. It's about to get it done party, not the Democratic or Republican party. And when you will wealth, you want to get it done. And for folks who I relate to on the left side and left with my left hand or right doesn't matter. With my right hand left hand, with one of my hands, I can reach into the hood to where I grew up in South central LA or Competent or wherever, and I can see the streets and I can understand their perspective. I can also go to the suites and understand their perspective. And what I'm trying to do is bridge these perspectives and to say, no, you want to become wealthy, you want to become successful. I have very wealthy entertainment friends who have regular checking accounts, regular savings accounts, Like they go and they bank at the bank brands.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what are you doing? No one's ever taught them.
Speaker 1: These are world class people, incredibly successful, incredibly smart, and they resent capitalism model because they think they're being intentionally locked out. They just don't know anybody in this relationship circle who's brought them in and said, hey, let me sit you down explain this to you. And so I'm trying to with conversations like this to break these silos down, because when I meet people like you, I can legitimately say you're the nicest person you ever meet. I mean, just incredibly kind and gracious and open and reasonable. Please tell them the audience Family Office is and what you.
Speaker 3: Do there, and John, before I do that, I just want to emphasize what you just said, because that that is you know, I love our country and I've got three children on my own, and I think with all of the challenges that we have, it's the greatest country.
Speaker 5: In the world.
Speaker 3: And an essential component of that is the belief for the individual. And we can't have anybody left out of this belief that through their own work and effort, they can achieve a better position and status in life, for them, for the people close to them, for the family they're taking care of, and that is that's the bedrock, you know, of our society, and we need if we as you said, and you and I talked about this the first time we met, if that becomes elusive. If we don't have, you know, the broad majority of Americans that believe that, then it's a problem and we have a big challenge in this country. So we have to have a system where the individual can say, I'm very smart, you know, and you met that.
Speaker 5: I teach at ye Law School.
Speaker 3: I went to Yell Law School, which I had a great experience, and I had my daughter go there.
Speaker 5: And I meet your wife went there, right. We talked about that.
Speaker 3: I meet so many people that I teach there that have come from very challenging backgrounds and taken themselves all the way through to Yale Law School, and then they're going beyond to run a law firm, to maybe be a senator, to whatever they want to be. You know that those paths are still there. We need a country where the vast majority of people feel like avenues are available, and that is a critically important part of our society.
Speaker 1: That's right, and society and audience, please forgive me this one last preaching sentence, because I'm just Greg's lit me up here. Societies don't create her from the top down, the creator from the bottom end.
Speaker 4: When the bottom.
Speaker 1: Does not believe that they play by the rules, do the right things stop at red lights, respectful to the elders.
Speaker 4: That is going to play.
Speaker 1: Pay off is a reasonable shot, a success or failure on their own merit. They rebail, They say, you know what, the system's corrupt. It doesn't no matter what I do, I can't get ahead. And without faith and trust and honesty and integrity and belief and confidence and joy, all intangibles were done and has screwed up. This country is as you just said, it's the best bet I've found in the world. Let's not destroy the system. Let's reformat it, refashion and give it a software of great, give capitalism a software of great, and return it to a fruits where somebody like John Rockefeller, who wasn't perfect to me, get that out of the way, but who that positive did more good than bad, who built something up, Yes, straight up capitalists, but then gave a lot back. Isn't there some huge by the way, is there some huge public institution in New York. I don't want to say this and get it wrong that John Rockefeller built. I want to say Grand Central Station or some crazy thing.
Speaker 3: They gave the land for the United Nations, you know, so they gave the land for the United Nations. They built as you know, museum a mote in our Lincoln Center, Asia Society Rock Center they built, and they built a lot of that during the depression, and they were when they first were going to build it, they had it was a much more diversified funding approach, John, you'll appreciate this. And then the depression happens and they actually finished that project largely on their own, which, despite the wealth that they had, was risky for them, and it became this defining part of New York City. You know, the philanthropy on the Rockefellers goes right through to.
Speaker 5: The modern time.
Speaker 3: There's a neuroscience Institute in West Virginia that was established about a decade ago by former Senator Jay Rockefeller, which is one of the finest of its kind in the country. So they continue to try to do things that benefit society at large. But you know, my point is that we have the John Hope Brian family. So many families that are our clients are trying to do things like that. But you know, back to they need to make the wealth first, but we have to have a society where the vast majority of people feel like they can be on that path and make that wealth and it's fair, as you said, which is.
Speaker 1: How black family and brown families and women and minorities listening to this to know. You make money during the day, you build wealth in your sleep. Once you make that money to get rich to that contract, take some of that riches and turn it into a wealth creation which you do it. You only build wealth at night and when you're sleep, so you can build enough wealth to take care of your own lifestyle, take care of your generation follows you, and give something back.
Speaker 4: We need to be philanthropists.
Speaker 1: We need to be building institutions in our communities like they have done Rockefeller's family has done, and scale that model. Again. I've done this a role. I'm so excited about meeting with you in this interview.
Speaker 3: With you five times, but now you led me back to it though just there because they're making money at night. Let me talk about what we do a Rockefeller Capital Management. We help our clients make money at night. They've got wealth we have. What our job is to work with them on what do they want to do with the wealth?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things John, you've asked me about in the past is what's the difference between building assets and actually you know a you know, generating wealth over generations.
Speaker 5: And a lot of that is about intent.
Speaker 3: You know, are you just you know, earning money and building assets and there's not a larger plan, and you know you might then spend beyond your means or you might be you know, not focused on earning the money at night. What we work with our families on is what do they want to do with the wealth that they either have or still creating. What's the long term plan? We help them build the plan. We help them with a diversified set of investments that will ensure that whatever happens in market cycles, because a lot of people that are new to markets, you know, there are things that pop up that you know, somebody might want to chase, but that may not be the right thing, and it may go, John, you and I've lived this over three four decades. It may go as fast as it came something that looked like a great new product. And so we're working with clients on a detailed long term plan. They want to get here, you know, they want somebody has created a fair amount of wealth in generation one through working as hard as you or I have, and they would like the generations to be able to be educated for free or whatever it is. We work with them on the plan to have the wealth sustain and say, okay, if you want to have a plan to take care of succeeding generations, this is the kind of wealth you can spend in your lifetime. This is what's available to you. But we're going to build some of this so that your grandchildren are attending these schools.
Speaker 5: And the tuition is taking care of.
Speaker 3: So what a family office effectively is It starts with, you know, a certain level of wealth in order to have the family office. That could be first generation and there's still a lot of first generation wealth created in this country, or it could be a second or third generation, or in the Rockefeller's case, seventh generation. And then there's a lot of planning with my team, which is very good at this on you know, investments, yes, of course, but also taxes. Do you want philanthropy, what kind how much you know, if you've created a lot of wealth and you're still creating more, how much is going to be for this generation and maybe the next one of the kids, And do you want to start thinking about the generation after that. We spent a lot of time working with our families on those kinds of plans, because generational wealth is intentional. John Rockefeller Senior had a tremendous amount of wealth, but you still could have consumed it all. It might have taken a generation or two. But it's lasted seven generations for a reason. The reasons lasted seven generations, which is a long time and a lot of people. And as John said, you called it up front, seventh generation. Three hundred and twenty five people alive in the seventh generation. So this wealth is taking care of hundreds and hundreds of people if that's going to happen over that amount of time. They were intentional upfront. They set up trust right out of the gate, trusts that are literally one hundred years old for succeeding generations. So the money stayed in trust. And then John your point, it was making money at night. It was invested. You couldn't pull it out. It got bigger, and then at some point the trust is broken and that generation benefits from the trust, or maybe part of it goes to that generation.
Speaker 5: It breaks over to generations. But they did a.
Speaker 3: Lot of planning, intentional planning, so that the wealth created by the person who started it could last a long time. I'm not sure even he thought it would be seven generations. But it's seven generations in counting. And as you said, you know some of them justin and others these finance you know, younger people who were doing really good things in this world. Wealth creation over that amount of time is intentional, it's a plan. It's you know, each generation lives, you know, according to the means that are available for that generation. If you're going to allow the next generation to also participate, and it's that famous John Hope Brian's statement, make money at night, invest it and let the investment, the smart investments build it as opposed to be you know, consuming it, you know, and if you consume it, it's not there for late.
Speaker 1: By the way, I want to give proper credit if you'd like that quote you make money during the day, you bill was in your sleep, you can use it. But let's give credit to Tony Wrestler, who's a I think the two hundred and fifty richest man in the world. My business partner friend owns Atlanta Hawks, owns the founded or co founder of Aris Management and Apollo.
Speaker 4: He introduced me to you guys.
Speaker 3: By the way, and he's built a wonderful company. Terrific guy. And I do remember you telling me that was his quote. Although I need to be more careful because I give you credit for the quote when I use it.
Speaker 1: That's okay, Doctor King used to tell Doctor used to tell his preacher friends he'd hears something he'd like. He said, you know, that's a great quote, Joe. I'm gonna give you credit the first three times. The fourth time is mine.
Speaker 5: I actually he was just getting out. The fourth time comes wrong. I remember this one because of the relationship you and I have.
Speaker 3: But sometimes I'll say this wasn't me, but I can't remember who it is. So here it is, you know he Doctor King was smart to just say, look by the fourth time, it's a fair game for everybody.
Speaker 1: So there's something you said. There's a number of things you said that are positively triggering. But let me so let me break something a couple of things down. So people are here listening to this and go, wait a minute, the money's in a trust.
Speaker 4: Does that mean he didn't trust? Is theirs?
Speaker 1: We're not going to get into John Barcofeler's head. But I have a trust, okay, and my trust is so that I trust that what I built is going to go where I wanted to go and not where somebody else decides it's going to go when I'm gone. So it's a trust that allows me to direct and structure my legacy in any way I see fit and organize my assets. There's also tax planning involved with the trust and money management. There's tax planning that there are tax benefits to philanthropy, by the way, So all these things work together.
Speaker 4: So when you're getting when he's built.
Speaker 1: When greg Is and his team are building wealth for you, and they're locking up those assets. So when people can't take the principle, you don't want to spend the principle.
Speaker 4: If you can at all afford not to.
Speaker 1: You're getting the d You want to live on the residual income if you can. So the money is thrown off from the investments. You want to find a way to live on that. So if you have a five million dollar investment pool, maybe if you're lucky, you'll get half a million dollars a year and what's called passive income, and you live on that and you're not touching the principle.
Speaker 4: A lot of people make that.
Speaker 1: Money in an NBA contract, NFL contract, whatever the thing.
Speaker 4: Is, because all riches is a contract.
Speaker 1: And when the contract ends, if your outflog seeds your inflow, you're overhead.
Speaker 4: It will be your downfall.
Speaker 1: So even even making five million dollars a year, if that money stops, you still spending three million dollars a year or four, you're broke with in a short period of time. You've got to have enough wealth that's created that's subsidizing the vast majority of your lifestyle. And that's what Greg's trying to explain with creating an environment.
Speaker 4: Well that's what John Rockefeller, I believe, was trying to do.
Speaker 1: And everybody who has built wealth, you're trying to create a situation where you're not in this ethos. First generation makes it, second generation spins it, third generation loses it. And that's as old, that's six thousand year old. Doctrine is global it is.
Speaker 3: And John, you know, we actually work with quite a few athletes helping them plan because you know, an athlete might have multiple great careers, you know, like you know, Derek Jeter is on our board and is having a great business career after his baseball career, but a lot of the earnings power for a lot of athletes is in those years and there there's a you know, a lot of demands on the money during that time. So we do a lot of work with athletes where we help with planning so that when they retire that money is available to them and potentially to their errors because of the planning they do during the years when they're playing where the paychecks are often now significant. I mean, look at what an NBA player can get paid now if they're quite good, or even NFL player, any of.
Speaker 5: The baseball players.
Speaker 3: But you know that can go from those levels to zero pretty quickly, and you want to be ready for that on the planning. So we have you know, a number of families led by athletes who are typically first generation, but we're doing a lot of work with them on Okay, let's look at the cash flows. They're you know, they're at a very significant level for the you know, the career, and then you have the years when you're particularly good, right you come to the league, you're maybe there's a league you know maximum, but then you have those years then the trails off and then this is what it's going to look like. So we're just you know, taking all that money, you know, find you know, helping with this. This is what you know would be a good spending plan in the interim, and this is what you'll have at the end if we put this in place, and you know, and they say, I want to have that, And that's really what we're there for, to help make sure that we put the plan in place, you know, lay out the different options for them.
Speaker 5: It's ultimately their money. They're working hard, they're earning it.
Speaker 3: But they often are quite pleased with the planning process because you know, nobody wants to get to the end of a very successful sports career now and you know, and have the h starting to dwindle down and a lot of the principal gone, you know, the ability to be the twenty three year old superstar again.
Speaker 5: You know, you got one shot at that.
Speaker 3: So we do a lot of work there as well. And then just one other point for you on the trust that you raised. This another great point. This is how universities set themselves up. They have an endowment. As you know, I mean, you're part of a lot of deals. They have an endowment. So it might sound like an incredible number, it's a billion dollars. But if you spend you know, one hundred and fifty million dollars a year, it's not going to be so much in you know, five or six years. So they limit the percentage of the endowment. And I'm saying this for your listeners, John, I know obviously you know this. The percentage of the endowment that they can spend each year they limited so that the principal stays there for the future generations of students that are going to be at that university. So it's really the same model for you know, a wealthy family that wants the wealth to be sustained over time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm on the border Clark Atlanta University, which is right next to Spilman in the University Center, the youth Center, and we have a significant endowment. Now there wasn't always the case. And you're right, we spend. We try to spend a very small portion of that or allow it to be spent. So I say, you wanted to cumulate, you wanted to compound it, wanted to build on itself and sit there and hopefully you don't have a rainy day we ever need to pull the principal. My team, I normally don't answer. I normally don't go with the scripted questions. I go with my gut and my feeling with my interviews. But my team put together, Kevin Bousche and others a really good series of questions, and let me get into.
Speaker 4: Some of these questions, and then you can answer.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go. I'm gonna do two at a time, answer whatever one you like. When you first question number one, I'm gonna do first two of the time. When you advise families over time, over time horizons, what patterns have you seen attend to or road wealth over generations, and what practices most reliably build financial resilience.
Speaker 4: Now hold on to that one for a minute. Number two. Rockefeller is a.
Speaker 1: Name associated with legacy wealth in today's economy. What should first generational wealth builders understand more than anything of if they want to create something that lasts for their children and grandchildren. So tackle either one of those you want.
Speaker 5: I'll take them in order.
Speaker 3: The families that have created wealth that's lasted for generations, they really do a lot of things that are similar, and the ones that don't. Even if John they start with the same amount of money, makes some of the same mistakes. The ones that fail to do that. There are patterns on each side. So the ones that tend to you know, accumulate assets and then you know, erode to wealth tend to not really have a plan for what they want to do over the longer run. They also might think this is always going to go on and I can always make more. They might react to swings in the market, and you and I have seen this for so long. Something gets hot and they chase it, and then they make a mistake and they lose a lot of money. You know, they don't have a long term plan that they stick with.
Speaker 5: And then there are.
Speaker 3: Other families like yours. You're intentional at this point in your career. You're intentional about what you want to do with your wealth already through the generations. So the intention is just so important, and the recognition that it's very hard to create the wealth. You know, I look at so many different people over the years, and you know, wealth comes with a lot of hard work in a lot of cases. You want to treat that like a little nest egg when you get it, and then do the appropriate planning, stick to the plan on a discipline basis, and allow those future generations to say, John Hope Brian, you know, he seemed like an incredible person and I'm attending ex University in twenty one seventy where my tuitions covered because of him. Yeah, that's an intention upfront. And you know there are families that go in the other direction and then the wealth is eroded too early and they're not able to achieve things like that. So I really think that's the big difference there on the first generation wealth builders. What I would say is, you know, find somebody who's got expertise in this.
Speaker 5: You know, we obviously do. You know, I won't be so immodest to say we're the only ones.
Speaker 3: A lot of the tools that John Rockefeller Senior use to help take wealth, and it was a lot of wealth, but again without great planning, it wouldn't still be here.
Speaker 5: A lot of the tools are.
Speaker 3: Available, and John, you were referencing this before in the tax code, you know, there are things you can do by putting wealth in trust where that wealth can stay protected for generations down the line, as opposed to necessarily going through in a state tax, which today is still north of fifty percent. You know, if you put the wealth into a trust when it's got a low basis.
Speaker 5: You know, we don't have to.
Speaker 3: Go through all the particulars today. There are there's smart planning that you can do that's still available. So for first generation wealth builders, you know, find the expertise and start putting the plan together so that you can protect as much of the wealth.
Speaker 5: And by the way, this is the government set.
Speaker 3: These rules up. I'm not you know, these are the tax roles. This is all within the tax rules. You know, there are ways to take a fortune that's made by a family and help sustain it on a longer term basis. It does require, you know, you to take assets and wealth and take it away from the current generation maybe the next one. But that's what a lot of family protected. You know, that's what a lot of families want to do. You want to do that. I want to do that. You know, I've used the example a couple of times. One of the things that I feel profoundly about is education because for me, education was the ticket and from my father and it is still for so many people in this in this country. And as I said, I go back to Yale Law School, I see some of the kids in these classes and they have come from a very difficult spot sometimes not unlike.
Speaker 5: Where you did all the way to ye law school. And it's all the education.
Speaker 3: So I want to make sure that you know some of the wealth that I've created is there for education to give the people.
Speaker 5: That are following me. And it could be one hundred years from now.
Speaker 3: You know the keys to be able to go out and do it on their own. So first generation wealth builders, and you know a lot so many of them, John, should know that there are tools available for them to create a legacy for generations if they want to do that.
Speaker 1: We've got Yes, thank you so much for the great that was brilliant and right on target. We get talked for another hour. We got six minutes of five minutes. But we'll do this again. Let me in with this last double set of questions. We got many more. We'll come back and do another session on this.
Speaker 4: But as I t of.
Speaker 1: These next questions, I'm going to also give you give the audience a personal perspective, and I want the audience to think, well, John Brian never makes a mistake. He's the financial literacy guru somebo or whatever they call me. You know, we've created financial literacy policy under three US presidents. It's We've got the building renamed in the White House campus. We made financial legency policy for the US. I'm still not trying to get it down in the Congress, but anyway, but I still make mistakes.
Speaker 4: I still screw up.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I try to really warn people, particularly in times like now, is stay away from shiny, bleaning.
Speaker 4: Stuff that says this is easy. Nothing's easy. You're going to get this easy quick fast.
Speaker 1: I said, that's almost a guaranteed recipe whatever it is for disaster.
Speaker 4: And so here are a couple of questions.
Speaker 1: A lot of people here wealth management, and assume it's only for the ultra high net worth individual. What are the core principles used by wealthy families that entrepreneurs and professionals can apply right now as they're growing and.
Speaker 4: To know this is for them.
Speaker 1: Also, because I build all my stuff, all my companies, all my institutions, I build it with the future in mind.
Speaker 4: My institution build it from day one.
Speaker 1: My family office with you is going to be multiple times the size of where we are now because I'm in my earning period and I'm really a lot of people coming to you and they were in their retirement period. I'm in my own arning periods was a different mindset, but you build it. I built my stuff for where I'm going, not where I am or where I came from. Number Two, you've seen markets in boom times, crisis and recovery. When markets are noisy, What is the framework for staying discipline and how do you help your clients navigate the uncertainty? These two questions in any way you want to attack them.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the two things i'd say here. One is I've been at this now for thirty eight years. There there are always challenges in the market. There are plenty today. Almost every point in my career, people feel like today seems worse than it's ever been. The reality is there's just always a lot of challenges. I mean, I've lived through so much. I was the president of Merrilyn during the credit crisis. We had to sell it. Lots of things happen all the time. It is a big little world with a lot of human beings pushing in a lot of different directions, and things happen, and you know, look at the world that we're in today. But that's generally been the case. You know, one of the things I joke about is you know a lot of people will talk about the good old days. The reality is, whenever you live, there were no good old days. There were challenges no matter when you were alive. Like it's only through the lens of history where we're like, well, that seemed like, you know, the good old days, but there were a whole set of challenges in those days if you actually live them. So you've got to do exactly what you just laid out, John, which is there's going to be things happening in the exogenous world. There's going to be all kinds of different market moves and shocks. You want to get professional advice, if your first generation, you want to get professional advice. One of the greatest things having professional advice does is putting a plan in place and sticking with it and staying away from things like what you said, John, this is going to make you wealthy really quickly. I've got something that you can't miss. There's so many of these lines that I've watched over the years. These are all openers for stay away from it, don't do it. You want to have a plan with somebody who does this for a living and who does it all the time. And then you want to stick with that plan and let because the professionals their job when things get difficult, like in the beginning of twenty two or you know, whatever is happening today, is to say, wait, we've got a good plan. We can tweak it at the margin, but we don't want to change it.
Speaker 5: They are paid to do that.
Speaker 3: It's just like anything else you go for advice on, you generally want to take the advice of the professional who's doing it all the time. You tee that up perfectly because it's always going to be volatile.
Speaker 5: I never do an interview.
Speaker 3: It's rarely, you know, if I go on TV or I'm doing a podcast or something, or I'm giving a speech, rarely is it against the backdrop or I don't have to say. I have to think about what's going on all the different things that are going on in the world that are creating volatility. You know, my team's like, well, they might ask you about this and this. There's never a time when they say there's nothing they could ask you about because.
Speaker 5: The world is always volatile.
Speaker 3: So you want to have the professional you want to put in place of plan with them, and you want to stick with it.
Speaker 4: So we could talk forever.
Speaker 1: I'm going to respect your time and let you go and make some more money so we can have some time to talk about how to pass the wealth on. I would like you to think about when we come back, not I don't want. I don't want you to think about the questions. I'm going to ask you now that we've done this together. Your brain and your heart are so interconnected for good. Think about what you think this audience would love, would benefit from hearing, and let's have that conversation. You are a decent, caring, thoughtful human being, and as the CEO of Rockefeller Capital Management, that gives me great hope and belief and trust that your team feels the same. It's a guy who works you name Outlaw?
Speaker 4: Is it Outlaw? Yeah? What a great name. Another great human being like I really.
Speaker 1: Just and all the women who are there, because I haven't mentioned any females names, but there are a lot of women there I've met. Also, the place is very diverse, and thebversy on your board of directors and even think about that. Thank you very much for this time, Thanks for joining us for money and wealth, and I hope the Oddan's got half of the encouragement in wealth of knowledge that I have from sitting with you. Michael is in Michael and Michael. The Michaels are lucky to work for a guy that's as humble and strong as Greg Fleming. Thank you very much for joining us on Money and Will John.
Speaker 5: It was a pleasure. It's great to see you. Thank you so much. Okay, take care.
Speaker 1: All right, God bless Money and Wealth with John O'Brien is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from the Black Effect Podcast Network, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.