Speaker 1: Before we get started. This episode discusses sexual abuse in suicide. Please take care while listening.
Speaker 2: It was just one of the most painful and traumatizing, humiliating, degrading experiences my life.
Speaker 1: Paris Ultan was nineteen when an intimate private video of herself was released to the world without her consent in the gossip magazines. It was a scandal, but in reality it was abuse.
Speaker 2: It was like being digitally raped and having the whole world watching it and laughing, and I just felt just so ashamed when that shame should never been on me, And yeah, that's something that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and four, in the early days of the Internet, Paris's one video was viewed millions of times. The widespread distribution of that sexually explicit video was non consensual. And today we're experiencing a new version of this reality, except this time you don't even have to take a real photo or a video with AI.
Speaker 3: All you have to do is exist.
Speaker 2: Now that it's happening today, and you don't even have to know the person that can literally just take your photo and just make it as just terrifying.
Speaker 1: Once again, Paris's likeness is being used without her consent, but this time it's AI generated and it's appearing on sites like Mister Deep Fakes and beyond.
Speaker 2: It's very triggering now to see it happening, even at a larger scale, with strangers all around the world who I've never even met, and there's a one hundred something thousand deep fake images of me. It's just disgusting. And what also hurts me so much is that these are not real images, but people don't know that. People, if they don't understand AI, they would just assume it's real. And I've worked so hard just really changed that image of me because it never should have been that. You know, what happened with me was someone I was nineteen. I was in a serious relationship. I trusted him, and that was so long ago, and it's I feel like it's something that's haunted me my whole life, so now for it to be happening again, but on such a larger scale, it's just it's so humiliated. That's why it's you know, even though it's uncomfortable to talk about, you know, I'm speaking out for all these other women and children who are having to deal with this right now so that they can have some justice.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I'd seen this story before, the one where tech moves fast, the laws haven't caught up, and women are the first victims. What happened to Paris in the early two thousands was a predictor of what would come and now her deep fake abuse is symbolic of the reality we live in today, and that's what brought us together.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how it's legal for there's to be all these apps that are coming up now and websites where people can do this to others, because it could really ruin someone's life and destroy their confidence, destroy their future.
Speaker 1: I'm Laurie Siegel, and you're listening to Mostly Human, a tech podcast through a human lens. This is searching for Mister Deep Fakes Part four.
Speaker 3: This one was okay. This is when we heard the.
Speaker 1: Heartbeat, which, like that is so wild that at the moment that's really cool. Yeah, that's my husband John. As you can tell, something pretty big happened. A month after we got back from finding the operator behind mister deep Fakes in Canada, John and I found out we were going to have a baby. The Journey to Stop Deep Fake Abuse felt even more urgent now it was personal. I realize that it's not enough to go find the guy. We have to help people see the thing they're not seeing yet. Politicians, folks who can move the needle. And then I think, as a mom it just makes it like.
Speaker 3: All of it just feels urgent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a win is like being able to not just take down mister deep Fakes, but like fundamentally change, like the like the process that enables these types of things to exist. You know, something that really makes it so other people have recourse if this happens to them.
Speaker 4: You've got to remember you are putting blocks in the foundation. I think it's really important to keep that perspective of change because there's a lot of different ingredients and change. There are seeds. There's the dirt, there's the water, there's the sunshine, and I think what you're creating now is the seed.
Speaker 1: After talking to David Does back in Canada, we had a new resolve for this investigation. We came back with this thought to create actual change, we had to cast a wide net and talk to as many people as possible about this.
Speaker 3: This is round two of our investigation. Round one was finding mister d Finks.
Speaker 1: Round two is like, how do we actually create change.
Speaker 3: We have like a whole little war room set up, so we put.
Speaker 1: Together are good guy hackers who helped us track mister d Fikes. Now we're putting together essentially like a team of policy folks, celebrities, you name it, folks who can help us, like we think move the needle forward.
Speaker 5: So it's legal action, legislative change, and cultural change, like all working in concert, not just one.
Speaker 3: But it's a big task.
Speaker 1: My first step was Casey Mock, who at the time was the senior policy director at the Center for Humane Technology.
Speaker 5: This is set up to have that army of mister d fix grow kind of automatically by default.
Speaker 6: There's a pipeline.
Speaker 5: Here where now you know, young men largely will be given access to these newification apps. They'll be playing with it, and you know, they make one deep fake of someone that they know, someone of classmate.
Speaker 7: And they're in.
Speaker 5: They're in it, and they may try to figure out ways that they can either do it themselves or monetize it or whatever, and then they're like in the system. They're a member of that army. And it seems like, you know, the hosts of the website and the people behind it are more than willing to train people up to be able to do this themselves, right, to generate their own content. And so it has this like flywheel effect where it's if we do nothing right, that army is just going to grow, right.
Speaker 3: I think that's the fear right.
Speaker 1: So it's like, how do we take all of the stuff that we learn and actually create change?
Speaker 3: And I think this is like what you've done your whole career, right, which is.
Speaker 1: Like take some of these like heartbreaking things, but also helped push forward go behind closed doors in DC, like talk to the right people to try to push forward policies.
Speaker 5: You've been covering tech for more than a decade, and like you've seen stuff that policy advocates have never seen. Like you've had conversations that they haven't had access to, So you have information that's very valuable to policymakers.
Speaker 1: On the legislative side, there'd been some movement. In the summer of twenty twenty four, two federal bills to Take It Down Act and the Defiance Act were introduced. They work toward different things, criminalizing the creation of AI generated images on the one hand, and providing civil recourse for victims on the other but.
Speaker 6: This is not innovation. This is a twenty first century version of sexual abuse and child sexual abuse.
Speaker 3: But some weren't waiting for federal progress.
Speaker 1: The San Francisco Attorney's Office filed an unprecedented case against sixteen neuification websites that were targeting everyday people. That case was led by San Francisco City Attorney David Chu and Chief Deputy City Attorney A von Meir.
Speaker 8: We are trained as lawyers that there is a system of justice and when something unlawful happens, or something unfair happens, there's a remedy that you can be sought in our course.
Speaker 6: As soon as we filed this lawsuit, I was contacted by colleagues of mine from the California State legislature as well as from other places around the country who are interested in this space. It's not enough to pass a law. You need to have the ability to enforce that law. And I think one thing that's clear is a lot of these laws were passed with the intent of trying to assist victims in vindicating their rights, but the victims have found it to be incredibly difficult to get justice for themselves and their situations, which is why we felt so compelled to step in.
Speaker 9: We are never going to be able in these kinds of cases to sue everyone. It is a powerful whole tool, but we need partners and we need to raise awareness.
Speaker 1: What do you think needs to happen from a legal standpoint to actually make it so we are safer online in this kind of deep fake era.
Speaker 10: Well, my position has always been that we have to be holding the platforms responsible.
Speaker 1: Kerry Goldberg is a lawyer who's been helping victims of digital abuse for decades.
Speaker 10: They are always going to be bad actors that pedal in other people's nudity, whether that's deep fakes or revenge porn or sextortion, and so yes, I want criminal laws to punish the individual actors, but I also want I want victims to be able to go after the platforms that are accommodating these kinds of bad actors and are like minting money off of it.
Speaker 1: Our coalition was growing at home and abroad in the winter of twenty twenty five, connected with partners at the Home Office in the UK.
Speaker 11: Thank you so much all for joining, and truly is a really special group of expertise that we have today.
Speaker 1: British policymakers had taken a strong lead on the issue, announcing plans to criminalize sexually explicit defikes to the point where mister Dee Fakes was now blocked in the country. They thought to criminalize not just the dissemination of this type of material, but also the creation of it.
Speaker 11: Very illuminating information that Laurie and Nicole have been uncovering through a multi year investigation. At this point into the mister deep Fakes website, which as we all know, is a very very pivotal force in the deep fake and CIA HOWM landscape.
Speaker 1: It felt like we had momentum, but we also felt the urgency for legal, societal and for cultural change to move even faster, because just as we had feared deep fake abuse was spreading into more vulnerable places our schools, now it was affecting the youngest generation coming of age with Ai.
Speaker 3: He's like, do you want to see the image?
Speaker 12: Like very cautiously the way he spoke, like, do you want to see the image of your daughter?
Speaker 1: Nadia Kahn Roberts is in a small room and the police station near her home in Miami, Florida, and A detective is handing her a thick binder of images, and I.
Speaker 12: Said, yes, I want to see it.
Speaker 1: The detective opens the binder and Nadia feels an immediate wave of nausea.
Speaker 3: Like oh my god.
Speaker 12: I started crying.
Speaker 1: As Nadia's body is flooded with shock. The detective asks for something nobody else had.
Speaker 12: He looks at me in the eyes and he goes, do you want to press charges? And I said, yes, absolutely, I want to press charges.
Speaker 3: The nightmare for Nadia begins.
Speaker 1: Right before Christmas break twenty twenty three, Nadia, a Spanish teacher at a local high school, gets a panicked call from her thirteen year old daughter in the middle of the day.
Speaker 3: She called me first.
Speaker 12: When she was called down to the office, she was crying and she says, I need you to come pick me up right now.
Speaker 3: I need to leave.
Speaker 12: And I was like, okay, well I'm at work. She's like, you don't understand. I need to leave. I saw a picture. I saw a picture and then I'm very freaking out. I'm like, what picture? What are you talking about? A picture of me naked? And I'm like what, No, but it's not really me. Mom, And she couldn't even really piece stores together because she was having an anxiety attack.
Speaker 1: Nadia drove down to the school and the story quickly unfolded. Two boys at her daughter's middle school had been caught exchanging AI generated nude photos of their female classmates.
Speaker 12: I'm finding out that there's ten twelve.
Speaker 13: Thirteenth, fourteen, fifteen, up to fifteen girls they did this too.
Speaker 12: Then wait no, there was a teacher they did it too as well.
Speaker 3: Wait no, there's another, And I'm like.
Speaker 1: Whoa more than a dozen girls at least two teachers. Their images were run through an ai utification app by two boys from well respected, hard working families in the community. The school called the police and suspended the boys, unsure of how to deal with something so new that many of them had never even.
Speaker 3: Heard of before.
Speaker 1: After the Christmas break, the boys would return to the classes with the girls they deep faked.
Speaker 3: Nadia's daughter was panicked at the thought.
Speaker 14: She's freaking out, like nobody wants to be in a room with essentially this an abuser, albeit not physical, right, but the facological abuse.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it is.
Speaker 13: And I'm imagining myself right like having to face these kids in the hallway. A lot of these girls have classes with.
Speaker 14: These kids, and that's when I really just was like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No no.
Speaker 1: Nadia eventually went to the police station to see the images, the big binder of images the boys had created of their classmates and teachers, and she was shocked by how accurate this fake image of her daughter looked.
Speaker 13: The skin color and the skin tone matched her face.
Speaker 12: Like ninety nine point nine percent, and her private parts were accentuated like exaggerated, unrealistic, but it's still it was my daughter's face on this body with the same skin color tone that I got nauseous and wanted to vomit, and I started crying because my kid had to see it first alone, without the presence of her parents or guardian with her.
Speaker 1: The police told her this could be treated as a sex crime child pornography. If they got enough of the parents to press charges, they would arrest the boys. Nadia spoke to other parents and one of the teachers who had been deep faked. It wasn't an easy choice, but eventually enough people were on board and the boys were arrested.
Speaker 15: I remember when we were facing that decision, I felt the gravity of it.
Speaker 3: Luke is the thirteen year old girl's father.
Speaker 15: It was a really big deal for us. You know, these are thirteen year old boys, and I couldn't help but think about the other side. They're getting, you know, charged with a sex crime that could follow the rest of their life.
Speaker 3: So it was it was heavy, but we didn't hesitate.
Speaker 16: We knew it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: This was the first case of its kind in the United States where charges were actually filed. But what was painfully clear about this nightmare to Nadia Luke and others was something else had to change. The cultural mindset around creating set actually explicit deep fakes in the first place. Kids teens, They needed to understand that this was wrong, that this type of abuse.
Speaker 3: Hurt and it caused real world harm.
Speaker 17: Our children are all the front lines of the war that we didn't even know anything about.
Speaker 3: And we have to get in a fight.
Speaker 1: John and his wife Shannon understand the stakes now too. They also have teenagers twin sixteen year olds, Palin and Elijah or Eli.
Speaker 18: She straight a student, wants to go to medical school. Ali was our Tornado.
Speaker 17: There's nothing common about the war now.
Speaker 1: The family lives in a small country town in Kentucky. In February twenty twenty five, Palin and Eli were looking forward to prom Eli was about to start the spring tennis season. He wanted to help the team go to State this year. Everything seemed normal when Shannon and John went to bed on February twenty seventh.
Speaker 18: And within an hour and a half, his sister and woke us up and totus Eli was hurt.
Speaker 1: Eli had died by suicide, and they had no clue. Why how did a well adjusted teenager go from prepping for tennis and prom to ending his own life. As paramedics took Eli from his home, Shannon's eyes were drawn to his phone. She went into his messages and found a picture that looked like Eli's face. It was on a naked body, but something looked a little bit off.
Speaker 18: I guess was supposed to be Eli. It was Eli's features, but it was like so white, I'm talking like a piece of paper white.
Speaker 1: Cops and soon the FBI went through the phone and told the parents they believed it to be a case of sextortion. In the rising tide of cybercrime, boys in Eli's adrange were being targeted by scammers who traditionally posed as female. Else they'd get boys to send nude photos of themselves and then they blackmail them with those photos. But AI turbocharges that abuse. The victim no longer needs to be tricked into sending any intimate photo of themselves. Scammers can now send an AI generated picture to a victim and threaten to ruin their lives if they don't pay up. And this is what Eli's parents believe happened. The scammers wanted three thousand dollars. Eli could only send fifty.
Speaker 17: I know him from top to bottom. There's nothing about that picture that matched. But you can't tell that to his friends at school. You can't tell that to his principal. They don't know. Imagine being a sixteen year old child and they're getting correct by multiple people. Texts after text after message after message of that's not enough money. You better give us our money. You don't give us our money. Your parents are going to see this, Your grandparents are going to see your friends at school, your principal, everybody's going to see this. And that's the pressure that Eli was under.
Speaker 18: Fifty dollars for my son's life, fifty dollars. It was all who has worked to these people.
Speaker 1: In early twenty twenty five, it felt like we actually had momentum.
Speaker 3: Pressure was mounting.
Speaker 1: We just kept pushing out our story and talking to the media and to politicians and to leaders in the space. And then in February twenty twenty five, I had my son, Charlie. I talked about this period with my producers, Roxy and Nicole, and I remember I was like, all, right, away, message is going up, like Matt leave Yay, you can breathe. And then something happened in May of twenty twenty five, and that something was kind of the thing that we've been waiting on for a long time.
Speaker 3: Do y'all remember that day?
Speaker 19: I do. I think you called like a group FaceTime situation.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 19: And I was like probably walking Leo in like a baby carrier on me, and it was raining, and I was holding the umbrella and trying to like hold the phone, but you said that it was really important, so we had to get on.
Speaker 1: It was a zoom call with Roxy, me, Roxy's husband Tony, and Nicole just wanted to give like a teeny bit of breaking news.
Speaker 3: Mister deep Wakes is officially shut down.
Speaker 19: The whole website.
Speaker 3: Whole website, the whole website is gone, like the when I think it was late last night, I think this is it's gone for good. I like generally like gone for good. I don't think it's coming back.
Speaker 1: Wow, seven years, thousands of victims, over one point five billion in videos, but finally the largest deep fake porn site on the Internet was gone. Do you remember the message on the site?
Speaker 3: It said like it.
Speaker 20: Was like a critical service provider has been lost. All the data has been lost. This is permanent, and like anyone who creates another site their copycats.
Speaker 1: And so a couple of things had happened ahead of that, right, beginning with like, let's go back a year when we literally I believe we were the first people to show up at his door at his workplace to show that he could no longer do this anonymously. Right, I think that was an important data point. Laws started getting passed. They basically cut off access to the UK because it would be breaking the law. Now, all of a sudden, like that puts pressure on payment providers who are no longer available on mister deep fakes. All of a sudden, it puts pressure on advertisers, It puts pressure on tech platforms, Google deranked the site. So the first thing you saw wasn't a sexually explicit deep fake of yourself.
Speaker 3: When you googled your name.
Speaker 1: And then the week that it went down to take it down at pass, which was the first federal law the targeting deep fakes. And then the CBC, another news organization, had done an investigation into David Doe and the man behind mister deep fakes. So if I could look at this and say, well, what actually caused the site to go down, it always comes down to the word friction.
Speaker 3: There was friction that was created.
Speaker 1: That made a site like this, a site that people told us was an inevitability that okay, welcome to this new AI era.
Speaker 3: This is just an inevitability. It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 1: All of these little things that might seem on their own inconsequential together created this wave of change that I believe is a playbook for the future. As for its suspected operator, David Doe was placed on leave at the hospital and there's a pending hearing for professional misconduct. The Netherlands and Denmark wade ex tradition, and we contacted multiple law enforcement agencies in Canada. None reported active investigations. When I asked Casey Mock what could come of David Doe, he said it was a complicated case.
Speaker 5: It depends on where certain things are hosted or living or incorporated right like you found him in Canada. That complexifies the issue a lot. It would take a creative prosecutor, I think, to put the operator of this website in prison right now.
Speaker 1: We spoke to Canadian legal experts who agreed. They said there could always be pathways to accountability, but it was by no means straightforward. Carry Goldberg, or law expert in digital abuse, said that one avenue for victim recourse could come from the fact that we had evidence mister deep Fakes was both the platform operator and a creator himself.
Speaker 10: So the trick in holding an individual liable is showing that he actually was the one creating the content. If mister deep Fake was himself actually creating the deep fakes and posting those, than absolutely one hundred percent people could be holding David liable for that.
Speaker 1: As of the release of this story, David Doe has not been convicted or charged with any crime. We've reached out to him repeatedly over the last two years, but he has yet to respond to any of our requests for comment. We had worried that mister deep Fakes was the canary in the coal mine. Unfortunately, deep fake abuse was now mainstream. It doesn't end with David Doe, and it doesn't end with mister deep Fakes going down. The work continues. We wanted to push the story of mister deep Fakes out to as big of an audience as possible, which meant going to the big streamers, but we heard the same thing. Executive after executive had every excuse for why this issue wasn't exactly made for TV audiences. But we pressed on and in January twenty twenty six, a new advocate came onto the scene.
Speaker 21: It's the newest form of victimization happening at scale to your daughters, your sisters, your friends, and neighbors. A staggering one in eight girls today are experiencing the harms of AI generated deep fake porn.
Speaker 1: Paris Halton joined Representative Alexandria Ocasio Coorts in support of the Defiance Act, which was still since July twenty twenty four, stalled in the house.
Speaker 21: I hear from teenage girls who are terrified to go to school because they know a deep fake of them is circulating. I hear from women who are scared to run for office, to apply for jobs, to speak publicly, because they know how easily their image can be weaponized against them. Too many women are afraid to exist online, or sometimes to exist at all. And I know how that feels because I've lived it.
Speaker 1: I remember like seeing this clip of Paris Hilton, like dressed to the nines, like very Paris Hilton esque, like on Capitol Hill and talking about this and advocating for this, and I remember or because we'd been sitting out there for so long, being like trying to tell people, knock on doors and say we help us get the story out, like it's important. And I remember turning to my husband we were in the elevator and saying to John, like, I think we should just partner with Paris Hilton and get it out through Paris, like she has an incredible platform.
Speaker 3: And he was like, do you know Paris?
Speaker 1: And I was like, no, those are details, but like we can track down mister Defix.
Speaker 3: We can track down Paris Hilton.
Speaker 20: And we always like for the entire time when we were like how do we have maximized impact of this story? Were like, would there be somebody or somebody's who could we could team up with and kind of grow this this movement together. And so I think that moment at the beginning of this year where we saw Paris was like a light bulb that went off of Wow, this could be the way to take this beyond mister d fix.
Speaker 1: And so we ended up connecting with her team and showed them the materials and I have to say, like they moved, and they moved quick, and Paris got involved in a big way, and we ended up speaking to Paris and like that. Do you all remember like we were at the New York Stock Exchange on International Women's Day with Paris Hilton and Gloria steynem.
Speaker 20: I mean, there was just so much around it that was kind of like reclaiming the story. Everyone who was like a victim in this like really came out as like a strong advocate for change. And that's what it felt like when we connected with like with Paris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like you're speaking another language to someone. So I just have to say the idea that we could have Paris Hilton as part of the army is I would just say, like to borrow a phrase from you iconic, So thank you for doing this and thank you for helping us with this mission. I'm curious why it's personal to you.
Speaker 2: This work is definitely personal to me, just from what I experienced nineteen when there were no laws to protect me. So if I can really turn my pain into a purpose once again and make it so that other girls don't have to go through what I went through, that's so meniqual to me. So I'll do whatever in my power i can to help.
Speaker 1: People always say to me, oh, you know, if you take down mister d fakes, it's just okay, we'll whack them all. And I just think, like, that's such a boring argument. Like if we take down a site where eighteen million people are going and it's teaching young men how to do this, and in the process we help change laws and we can tell people that this is actually this matters.
Speaker 2: And then it you know, tears people from doing it because they're going to know there actually is consequences if they think, oh, you can just get away with this. Of course, people are going to make more sites, but if they see make them an example.
Speaker 1: Of mister d Figs, it's if you are able to do this in the dark. It's in the darkness that this thing thrives. And exposing this, exposing mister deep fakes, exposing the pain and abuse that is the real world impact of this new technology, and seeing how this is going, I think that's that's, you.
Speaker 3: Know, our biggest help.
Speaker 2: Talking about it is a way to make people understand the impact it has on people's lives. Really makes a difference. And now for me, you know, when this happened, I was just taught to stay silent, like, don't bring any attention, don't give it oxygen like. So now to be able to use my voice, it's been that journey.
Speaker 3: Because in the beginning it was just I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Even talk about it. I was like, I just want to pretend this never happened. But now knowing it's happening to millions millions of people around the world, just can't stay silent.
Speaker 1: It's even more personal now that she's a mom.
Speaker 7: Just becoming a mother has changed my life in so many ways and really made me think about the future of what I want for my kids, and the fact that I'm able.
Speaker 2: To help shape that future is incredibly powerful.
Speaker 1: Paris wanted to help us take our story to the main stage. We partnered with her and her company eleven eleven Media, and we turned our investigation into a groundbreaking fourteen part TikTok series in late May twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I'm Paris Hilton and I'm teaming up with journalist Lorie Siegel to take the story.
Speaker 3: And the impact of this abuse.
Speaker 1: Reached thirty two million views, and the best part we started hearing from so many people parents, other survivors and folks who wanted to help.
Speaker 3: But Paris and I weren't done.
Speaker 1: Just as our TikTok series was launching into the world, we teamed up to bring our deep fake findings into the room where laws are made.
Speaker 3: So we're going right now see if we can get this passed no pressure.
Speaker 1: I was about to testify for a bill in California that would strengthen protection for victims of deep fakes.
Speaker 22: This bill creates a framework to hold AI users accountable by creating legal standing.
Speaker 1: Senator Angelique Ashby was the one to introduce SB eleven eleven to the California legislature.
Speaker 22: For victims and defining the boundaries of AI technology. SB eleven eleven establishes violations in the Right of Publicity law and false impersonation law for using a person's voice or likeness to create a digital replica without their consent. As technology changes, California must continue to advance our efforts and our standards to protect against AI abuse and violence and those who are impacted by it.
Speaker 3: And then it was my turn. My name is Lori Siegel. I'm an investigative reporter.
Speaker 1: I had the complicated task of boiling a year long investigation down to two minutes. The images may be fake, but from years in the trenches covering this type of abuse, I cannot emphasize this enough.
Speaker 3: The impact is real.
Speaker 5: Bring back to the committee for questions, comments or motion Cortesi.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I uh well, one, I was going to move the bill, and two I just appreciate the author for bringing this forward. Honestly, it's it is utterly terrifying to just see what's been happening with AI and the way that it's been weaponized against women, against children. It's it's just chilling because it could happen to any single one of us.
Speaker 3: And then a vote.
Speaker 5: Okay, we have a motion which is to pass to the floor of.
Speaker 3: The Senate floor. Please call the role SB eleven eleven.
Speaker 17: Ashby motion is deep passed to the floor at agen atagen I Sarto, Sarto, I Cavirio, Cortesi, GRTSI, I Perez, Perez, I.
Speaker 6: Wiener, keep that bill and call wraps and members.
Speaker 24: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Honestly, like, how cool is it that I was talking to David David's back and like now I'm talking to lawmakers and we just got something through.
Speaker 3: My producer Roxy was there with me.
Speaker 19: It was like not just screaming into a void. It was like they read it, they listened to it, they passed it, and then like yeah that we talked to Senator Ashby about how what is next? How does it go from what we are today to the next thing, to the next thing, the next thing, And just knowing that there are people one hundred percent voted and dedicated to passing laws like that, it was like, Okay, Wow, that's that's a whole nother part of the army that we just peeked into. It's like we're using our tools, which is media storytelling, you know, whatever journalism. They're using their tools. You know, then victims or survivors are using their voices. Like it was kind of like cool to know that it's it had been. It felt like it had just been us for a long time. Yeah, and it definitely wasn't. And that felt cool to know that there's all these other paths that to change that are happening.
Speaker 1: And it was so cool because it was immediately past the next phase. And I was emotional because it was like, Okay, taking this and connecting these dots and then you begin to really understand how change happens. What we learned is that change doesn't happen in a vacuum, and it certainly doesn't happen alone. It's through community and coalition building, but also through the bravery of the survivors who speak out and speak up. All of the people that you've heard in this series, each one of them has turned their pain into advocacy. Joanne and Los Angeles continues to share her story across platforms.
Speaker 24: It can be scary and nerve wracking to speak up about it publicly, but at the same time, it's important to take back our image. I feel like that's the only way we can hopefully affect change.
Speaker 1: As for Briton, Tennessee, I want to use my story.
Speaker 3: My attorney asked me that once He's like, how far do you want to take this? And it's like to the very fucking edge. Thank yeah, it stops with me. I want to make this better for other people.
Speaker 1: She helped change laws in her state. Same with Molly in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I cannot stand the idea.
Speaker 13: Of just letting it be.
Speaker 3: We want to fight and I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: Shannon and John, whose son was a victim of sex stortion, they won't stop either.
Speaker 17: Unfortunately, we're not fighting for our son. Our son anxiety passed. We're doing everything we can to make sure this doesn't happen to somebody else's kid.
Speaker 1: And Nadia and Luke, whose daughter was a victim of deep fakes. They started a nonprofit to help victims, but also educate teens to prevent this abuse from happening in the first place.
Speaker 16: How can we find teenagers who we can sort of train on the ethics of AI and let them be mentors to younger like preteens, and have these workshops and these experiences so that it's not reactive, it's proactive, that we become sort of an entity of hope.
Speaker 1: This is how we take this fight into the future. We do it together. This story is an over We're going to continue the conversation right here on this podcast. We'll talk to experts, we'll bring your questions to leaders, and we'll share the real world devastation that this digital harm causes. We have already heard from people more victims of deep fake abuse, and we're going to bring their stories to this podcast. If you've been a victim of deep fake abuse and you need help or resources, or you want to share your story, we want to hear from you, go to beyondmisterdepfakes dot com. And if you've got a tip something in the tech space that you want investigated, find me on social media at mostly human Media or email us at hello at mostlyhuman dot com. Mostly Human is a production of iHeart podcasts Mostly Human Media. Searching for Mister de Fakes is a multi year investigation in partnership with BFD and eleven eleven Media. It's produced and edited by Laurie Siegel, Nicole Bouchet, Lauren Hanson, aboo Zafar, Roxy Hunt, and Tony Castle. Sound design and mixing by Derek Clements and abou Zafar. If you want to see our short form vertical docuseries on mister de fakes. Go to mostly Human Media on TikTok or Paris Hilton's TikTok channel. Find us all on socials at mostly human Media. You can also watch mostly Human on our YouTube page, and if you want to get in touch, please email us at hello at mostly human dot com.
Speaker 3: We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 1: Oh and please rate and review the show and share it with your friends.
Speaker 3: See you next week.