Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 4: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field, Hey.
Speaker 5: Little play makes your day, and today it made the game that's off of now, Coach one more question.
Speaker 1: Play than new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibily. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or.
Speaker 6: Claim eyl University is the biggest online platform for education, but it's much much more. It's actually a community. Our private Facebook group has over eight thousand members and twenty infinity groups to students teach themselves just as much as the professors do. We have weekly webinars. We have over one hundred past webinars. You get access to MG the Mortgage Guys Real Estate Blueprint. You get access to monthly financial planning calls with yours Truly.
Speaker 2: You get access to.
Speaker 6: Our monthly group chat, investment calls, and much much more so, go to eyl university dot com right now and take advantage of our limited offer blowout sale sixty five percent off of the annual membership Eyo University dot com right now and become an earner.
Speaker 7: My graduates from my school being forced back drop drop, Mike drop back drop drop.
Speaker 2: It's all it's building up, but the momentum keeps going. How do you guys feeling about that? It's all good, bro, all word now, put me in that headspace for real. It's like that's insane because you know it's coming together, Like is it just a blur or you guys, I mean you guys just staying on a day by day or do you get a chance to even look at it like a month out, like what's what's that mindset?
Speaker 3: Like? Now? You know what, bro?
Speaker 6: You know, you don't really even get a instantially think about it too much when you when you're actually in it. And that's what we you know, we just try to just keep our heads down and just keep working. So you know, it's but it's it's dope, man, it's dope to just be out here. It's just really just like you said, it just feels like the momentum is just building and building and building is just getting stronger and stronger every day, day by day.
Speaker 2: So you know what's cool too, I bet you, I bet you. The type of deal flow that you guys are seeing is also getting crazy, right because I would imagine you know, you guys having a media platform so interesting because media is cross sector, right, like you can you can amplify any industry with media because you got the people behind you. So in that sense, I can't help but to think of all the different you know, and of course there's prioritization, like there's only so many things, you know that can be done at a time. But from n f T you know, to all kinds of plays, man, it's there, it's there. Excited for you guys.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. Appreciate it. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Likewise, man, I know you're building a billion dollar company, so.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you're We're focused, man, We're focused. And on that note, welcoming folks into the season finale of the Well Principles. This has been an experiment, a John experiment, you know, like let me riff openly here, So an experiment because what we have is one second may check check, okay, cool.
Speaker 3: What we have is.
Speaker 2: Any anyone that has a product has to figure out different ways that they can bring it out to the market. And one of the efficiencies that you can deploy if you know how to create media, is to build your own organic media. But see, here's the thing that shit takes time. It should takes, and there's a long tail and off time. You just have more immediate pressures. So what do folks resort to when they have that immediate pressure. Well, a lot of times they'll get sold by agency. They might try some ads and that shit is cool, but the moment you stop spending, it goes away. Right. So ironically, the shit that's harder to build is also the shit that is perhaps not surprisingly, shit that's hard to build is also harder for it to go away. You can liken that to a stock portfolio. I'm sure the trapper would agree. The stocks that have less volatility, you build a bigger base of those, and it's yielding you know, dividends and you know the goal of course from a wealth perspective is to get to the point where you have enough principle invested. You got five million dollars and you're earning you know, three percent off of that, then you're making an annual salary, and you make one hundred and fifty grand. You don't even have to touch your principle, and then the principle can continue growing. But now what's interesting is my journey with this idea of building wealth has really evolved, has been fluid. At some point, I was over index on stocks, y'all want to go hard as stocks. I discover private investments. Okay, cool man. I like real estate, a little cash flow, YadA YadA. But at some point you got to lean into your strengths. And what I figured out is that I'm a fucking like I like making shit, and when you make some shit, you can sell it too. And this is a whole way of wealth as well, where you can create a company that just rises a tremendous value and then you can create a liquidity event, much like Richelie with Dennis from Shaye Moisture, who sold Sundow Brands. He built that shit out the mud Booststrap selling in Harlem in the nineties and he had a billion dollar exit and then he was able to invest in others and create a fun and so on. So a lot of paths is the point. A lot of paths are you want to hold down a job and you want to invest in stocks and grow your portfolio patiently over time you will get rich as well. Do you want to go all the fucking on one particular idea and not like, not deviate until you pop off as an artist, for example, that's also a path. And guess what, A lot of these motherfuckers in corporate don't make half as much money as a lot of these rappers now, but there is a tier that make a lot more than rappers. And of course you wouldn't know because you know the way they dress it whatever. But still I find entertainment an incredibly viable path to generate in mad money because when you when your image and likeness becomes valuable, the music is but a platform to presuserve and maintain your reach and your relevance in the culture. When I was on television, my ideal flow skyrocketed. Not because of me. I was just a messenger, but I was on Vicelands airwaves, and so a lot of brands and a lot of speaking deals and a lot of opportunities was coming my way. During that time. I probably made three three, four hundred grand justin speaking, I only got to paid thirty grand for the show, but the speaking volume elevated, so you can go that way. I think that's very viable. And so anyways, a lot of ways to skin it. I love the way you guys are going about it. Personally. I think Earn your Leaders actually very interest I see. I never thought about it from like, you know, like we're boys, so like it's like, yo, it's my homie. They're popping off. But now if I would have just put on like my my investor had and say, wow, this is an interesting and this is an interesting deal, right because because what you guys have created in terms of the value are owned properties. You guys have your main show is owned. It was cultivated and grown over time, so it's not over reliant on any one partnership or distribution channel.
Speaker 3: Is owned.
Speaker 2: But in addition to that, right I know is I'm practitioning now at Loop and looking to penetrate audiences, and I realized, Wow, earn your leisure effectively as a result of the guests that you guys have interviewed in an authentic fashion, have become the aggregation of the category that is urban economic empowerment right, which that's what you can call what you want, but it's in the cultural zeitgeist. It's in the zeitgeist. And EYL has because.
Speaker 3: Sounds bringing out the dictionary. Today you.
Speaker 2: Have pulled out all the most interesting relevant people in this theme and have a nurtured your own audience. But be all you while you were at it, have brought in collective audiences.
Speaker 3: So now.
Speaker 2: M hm, that's very valuable. From that can come I P. From that can come i P. You can start creating. If you wanted fictional shows, this might be an interesting play. I would bring on a fucking illustrator and create, you know, tips about building well in.
Speaker 3: Kids, story for me about everything top secret.
Speaker 2: John okay, okay, boom. And then you have that's ip. You can create assets that become licensable and you know, in the form of books and so on, NFTs of course whatever. I get excited about any and all things business. That's why on today's episode Old we are going to do straight Q and A. We got like fifty questions. Some are trash, some are heat and I figure we just go through them h and just riff on the ones that are the most fun, the ones that catch our attention.
Speaker 8: All right, you want to you want to stop, I'll read off the first one. How was that, yes, sir?
Speaker 2: And just feel free if you think it's wat you just feel free and look through there's a lot that are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna come through them. I'm gonna come through them. Man. Then we can kind of mix it up with throwing some zoom questions. We got.
Speaker 2: For sure, like I would prefer the zoom questions, but we always also have these that we.
Speaker 3: Could Yeah, for sure, let's do it. Let's do it all right.
Speaker 8: So uh, top of the list says is outside funding absolutely necessary to scale?
Speaker 2: Man, did you guys take in any Brad when you start your leisure?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Man? How many boso ask media companies out there, no disrespect, but how many boso ass media companies don't raise a ton the money and tried all these five things that you should do to you know, they came at with the listicals that's what they call them. And they generated prop up traffic, fake traffic, real traffic, but like fake in the sense that it goes away. And yet you guys would know Brad came at it how you came at it. So you know, you guys you guys tell me.
Speaker 6: I would say, no, you definitely don't need that. It depending on what kind of business. If you have like a you know, a shipping company that's a lot of overhead and you don't have any money. But me personally, I don't think that those are the best kind of businesses to start right now in today's economy. I think online businesses are probably the most practical and the most profitable in a lot of cases.
Speaker 3: And that's something that we did.
Speaker 6: You know, our businesses are online business and it's extremely low overhead, So it's something that requires a lot of time, and it's something that does require a skill set, like even editing videos and things of that nature. If you if you don't know how to do it yourself, then you would have to you know, hire somebody do that, or you know, make a deal with somebody where you can give them equity in your company if they perform a service that you might not be able to pay them for upfront. So that's always that's always something as well that you can do. It doesn't necessarily have to be paying somebody if you think that they're that valuable that you can give them equity if they believe in a company and network for free because they know that the payout on the back is gonna be much more than you know, a couple hundred dollars or one thousand dollars that you're going to pay them for their services upfront.
Speaker 3: So absolutely not.
Speaker 6: But like I said, obviously it just depends on what kind of property, what kind of business you're starting. But for us our personal experience in starting our business, we uh, yeah, use our own money, which was very little. We didn't even have to spend that much money because it's a it's a low cost operation, especially at the beginning stages. And then we just reinvested the money that's important we invest in, reinvest the money that you make, invest in infrastructure, keep growing it and take it from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think your best currency, the number one currency when you're trying to scale, is going to be value. Right, So if you add value, even when you're trying to find somebody that that can help you scale, if they see value in it, if they believe in it, the belief will come from the value that you're adding. And so think of that first, what value am I adding? And then figure out what you need, because you might not need anything right, you can start with what you are. I always say that start where you are, do what you can, and let's see where you can go. So yeah, the value add is the most important thing. I think in scaling right, we had a platform, we add value with information. People came, things came after that, But the number one thing was like, let's do something that is disruptive. Let's do something that is valuable to not only our community but the world, and the benefits will come after my money in.
Speaker 3: That was our model. All money and stay down to you come on all money and no money out. That's it.
Speaker 2: Easier said than done, but I can I concur I think outside funding not not necessary to get started, not necessary. But it's interesting because yeah, such a small percentage of businesses do get it. And one thing that I've noticed is like, man, this record with se You know, I'm not sure how how much you guys have cover SPACs on y L. But a SPAC is a special purpose acquisition company that effectively has gamified the I p O. The illustrious elusive. There is mad scrutiny, request fired to enter the public markets. Sorry I broke a couple of bit. There's mass scrutiny required to enter the public markets. You got to deal with bankers, you got to deal with solvency requirements and so on, and so you know, true to capitalists, they created some shell company that can acquire a company that's trying to go public. Effectively, they take the shell company public and then the company that they acquired goes with them, and then it's listable on the IPO and you bypass the speculation. Bhi lah. So anyway, with the SPACs, a lot of companies I've gone to public. One thing I've noticed so is that this record wave of liquidity that these IPOs create, all these investors that got in all the way throughout the private trajectory of the company made a ton of bread. They all got rich, early employees, rich founders, rich vcs rich, growth stage equity rich, and the multiples get smaller the bigger you all are. But they write bigger checks. So the angel only needs to write twenty five k for it to pop off or for them to make a fortune. But if you're invested in the growth stage equity, you write a fifty million dollar check and you might get a three x. And guess what when you form a cap table. Right, I'm a founder, I'm at the beginning of LOUP. Then come my seat investors, then come to Series A investors, and this is what's called the capital stack, the cap stack, and then every investor on the top of the stack they have their preferences, so they get what's called the liquidation preference. So when money pops off in the exit later in stage whoop, they go first, and then everyone goes and then the founders get paid. So anyway, all that to say that I want to encourage also people of color out there. You don't need money to get started, but get good enough that you can fucking raise money. Get good enough, know your shit cold cold, tell your store, package it up, get some fucking swag, right, make terms up, make terms up. I'm serious, take your business and just imagine a fucking term and say, you know what, eyol is the biggest show on fucking earth, right, like you guys made that up, brought it out people you know, and and that storytelling. So founders out there is so please. It is so much less science. The information is out there, consume it and fucking learn it. But it's cost of entry. After that, it's swaged. The salesmanship is vision is creativity. It's motivating people. You gotta get them excited. You have to reorganize the ingredients that are already there to make a little bit of a different outcome. That's what entrepreneurship is. Stop trying to overprescribe it. You know, we got that in the culture already. You're gonna tell me that a bunch of these white cats with no swager out there getting the bulk of the bag. Come on, man, like, get sharp so that never becomes a bottleneck. Get sharp, laser fucking razor, and then they can never deny you all merrit And then we had the swag on top, so you don't need it, but get good enough that you can get it, and then.
Speaker 3: The swag is sold separately. That's something that didn't.
Speaker 8: Like.
Speaker 3: Jo.
Speaker 8: We gotta get you know, you know your ship shirt? I like that. That's your phrase, Bro, You gotta gotta Can I go to one?
Speaker 3: Well? We got all right. Let's see, Anthony, we got coming to you. You yourself. You've been unmuted. Go ahead, what's going on? Anthony?
Speaker 4: Can you hear me? My brother perfectly? What's going on? All good man? I just met you Brothers on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Man, it was real you a real good energy at the l A little mixing situation, man, I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, speak about that if anybody's not familiar. We got a private networking event for E y L University in LA and everybody showed up him five hundred, Alex God Energy, Shiggy, Mike Rashie, business business. It was a whole vibe. So how'd you how'd you enjoy it?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Anthony Walker was in the building too, so that was a major situation.
Speaker 3: How the most important we were getting there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I enjoyed it, like I really did enjoy it.
Speaker 5: I think that you guys just credited a whole nother like I think post COVID is a whole nother thing that's going to be able to happen for y'all. You know what I'm saying. Where you gonna really get a chance to touch the people. Man, that's the most important thing, I think. And that's where you build that deep value. You know what I'm saying, You build deep you know, going y'all going deep. And I see that. So I appreciate y'all for that. Man, It's a real beautiful play. I appreciate you, yes, sir, But my question, man, is for both of you or both you know, both all three of y'all, But so both of your businesses all have a subscription based model to it, you know what I'm saying. And that's a real interesting business model, and to me it seems like the best business model going forward because you guys, just talk to me why that is and or compare that to other business models that you know what I'm saying that you either see that are popular or that that that might be strong going forward.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure. So I mean for us, we have a couple of different business models. So we have some products like merch. By the way, the merch we have a fifty percent off of our merch for all winter. Yeah so e y l U fifty uh and you get fifty percent off of all merch. That's winter speaking, perfect segue. But yeah, we have we have items like merch, which is one off that's not obviously that's not a subscription. But yeah, EYL University because that's a recurring thing. So it's like another ending story where that's something that we constantly do.
Speaker 3: It's like a it's school.
Speaker 6: So it's just like you go to you know, college, you go to freshman year, sophomore year, junior year. So for us, I mean we do both ways as far as like, if we do an event, that'll be a one off, If we do merch that'll be a one off. If we write a book that's a one off. But Eyo University that's like an ongoing subscription. So I think both ways can work. But of course the subscription is always good because it's reoccurring, and as long as you can continue to add value, then people will continue to pay. That's what business is all about, right, People pay for value. So it's like you pay nine to ninety nine or whatever it is for Netflix every single month, and as long as you're satisfied if what Netflix is providing, you're you're going to continue to pay it. If for whatever, you become dissatisfied at the service that Netflix is providing, you're going to cut the cord and cancel your service. So I think it's the same no matter what it is, whether it's car insurance, whether it's education, whether it's entertainment. If you can consistently add value on an ongoing basis, then the business model is there for that. And like I said, the good thing with subscription based services or subscription based business models is that you can do it in all different things. You can do it in makeup and where they get like packages in the mail every month. You can do fitness where that's where you know if you go to a gym right or if you're online, you know you're paying whatever the fee is every single month. So yeah, it's a way to build a book of business. And really at that point in time, your main focus as a business owner is just to provide as much value as possible to your community. So me, like I used to be, I'm still in the financial services world. So one of the things it's like, if you're making a living off of commission, like a life insurance product or whatever, the thing about it is that you might have a good sale, you make some money, but now you start back at zero, So now you got to go back out and do it all over again. Whereas if you if you have a subscription model, or if you're getting paid annual revenue that comes in, you can focus more attention on your actual clients and actually just making the experience as good as possible for them. Because new people come into the fold, but your whole focus isn't on just attracting new people. It's actually just building and broadening. So that's why we did the free networking event in la and that's why we're going to do one in Atlanta because it's like we just always just constantly just try to add as much value as you possibly can. So that's another value that I think, you know, business owners have. It's less pressure to try to get new people. You can continue just to add value to the community as much as you possibly can.
Speaker 8: Yahn, I was gonna say that point, but like it goes back to the first question, right, how do we build something that's scalable? And when the first thing I said was value, right, And so as a creative and as a business owner, having a subscription service.
Speaker 3: Allows you to add.
Speaker 8: And that's the thing, like, there's so many creative ways to add to the community. And when you added then obviously people are going to want to say because like, wait, we didn't have that last month. This is something new, and so the way you keep it fresh, it's no difference, right, It's no difference from Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: Saying we're going to add a new show to the network.
Speaker 8: You can't wait for that show to come because now it's like, wait, we had all this and now you're adding something new to the process.
Speaker 3: So yeah, exactly what Chatty said.
Speaker 8: Adding it makes the business more creative because now I have to think of like, what's new, what's fresh?
Speaker 3: How do we keep this thing fresh? So it keeps us on our toes.
Speaker 8: It's like, all right, well we've had this for the public, but we have new people coming in and we have some people who've.
Speaker 3: Been here with us for a while. Let's keep it fresh, Let's keep it new, is keep it funky.
Speaker 8: And so now the community grows because it's like this is the best place to be got John, that's.
Speaker 2: Interesting, tro I never thought about it from that perspective, like subscription that keeps you guys like innovating pretty much. So I never thought about it as a driver for mixing it up. And Anthony, I want to say it's good. It's a great question. And one of the real bend based revenues is of course predictability, but also you're able to forecast, and in business, there's a lot of value to being able to forecast and extrapolate outward into the future and once you've been growing your subscription base for long enough, you can also assume a rate of growth. Right, So if you're at a thousand, if you start at fifty, you go up to one hundred, you know you can look and say, yo, all right, bet how many people are we grown by every month? And then you can say, all right, assume that growth keeps happening. What's going to be our revenue by year one? Let's say. Now you may not hit that. You may succeed it, you may not. But the point is there's value in being able to forecast.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 2: But one off sales allow you to diversify your revenue mix. I was overly concentrated when I have my laundry business. You can bet there's such thing as it's called a concentration risk. So you can have mad money coming from one particular account and if you lose that account, it'll fucking rattle you.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So when I saw my laundry business, I was cleaning the wardrobe for big movies. I found my way into the Wolf of Wall Street, big movie, got that account, and they say, yo, I was eighteen years old, man, that's crazy. It was like, Yo, there's a new account in town. If you get them, you're gonna be all right for a while. That was Bordwalk Empire. He said, I'm gonna make the introduction that it's on you. I was able to enagle it. While you have that account, go and try and sell others. Point is, I had most revenues coming from maybe four accounts, and I lost one of them, and it fucking rocked us. You know, I didn't have the money that I needed to build off of it. So you can have concentration risk in the amount of customers that you have your revenue coming from. You can also have concentration risk in having all of your money coming from one particular line of business in the overall, like call it umbrella company. So I like the fact that, for example, Eyl's diversity, you got some merch it's quicker hit, it's more of aluminus. So you drive volume. And here's a cool thing. You can sell your one off products. Right, that's the one dollar burger and then McDonald's makes some moneys on the fries and the shake, right, So you need a little bit of a lost leader product that's low costs and even potentially low margin for you. You may not even make money on it, but you get them into your ethos and then you can pass off the subscription service after they've consumed some content for you Sai, Yeah, I fuck with these guys. Boom. Then you have the sub So you're thinking the right way. But also don't forget to, you know, incorporate different things in your business that can make the whole machine work, because you kind of need a system.
Speaker 8: Yeah, John, you said something that was really important and I actually just thought of it, especially when you're doing a subscription model. There's something called the rate of retention. And so when you see the rate of retention, you can see based on when somebody joined and to when they hopefully never left. But it tells you what's been working for the company, and you can see what, you know, what I mean, what content.
Speaker 3: Worked, was there sale that worked? And so you get all those data points.
Speaker 8: Whereas if somebody comes and they go, it's like, all right, they supported us one month.
Speaker 3: What happened to that person?
Speaker 8: Right, So it gives you like an inventory based on your business of strategies and assessments of all right, that worked for us, we can continue doing that.
Speaker 3: That's another good thing to keep in mind for ship.
Speaker 2: Yo, Anthony, appreciate you. Bro.
Speaker 8: All right, I'm gonna go to Darlene because she's saying she doesn't know how to talk.
Speaker 3: Darling, you've been permitted. What's going on?
Speaker 8: Gotta learn that's how you do it.
Speaker 4: Gosh, yay, thank you.
Speaker 9: I'm so glad it worked. Thank you all for this session. I'm just loving every minute of it. It's very timely too, because I am entertaining my first opportunity to join as a limited partner in of enter Capital rais and of course there's lots of nerves that go into that in terms of what my process should be to evaluate whether or not this is worth my capital, and to evaluate the sponsor versus the project. And I wonder if you might be able to just give me some nuts and bolts as a potential limited partner of what I should be looking for.
Speaker 2: Beautiful question. I'm really glad you joined. And also, by the way, I don't want to breeze past that you're even in a position where you people can come up to you and ask you for investment and you can reasonably consider the option. So kudos because that means the reel bread set aside, and that you now have the opportunity, and that's what I think people miss is like just having the opportunity to go in or pass, is you know, really what our community should be striving for. Additional question parity when you say LP in a venture capital raise, is are you evaluating investing directly in a startup or are you evaluating investing a fund or? Towards the end, you had said sponsoring projects, And that's terminology that's more commonly used in real estate projects, like development projects. So are you my might you also be referring to a real estate project? Can you?
Speaker 9: Well? I'm actually I'm I'm choosing between two opportunities.
Speaker 3: One is a.
Speaker 9: Fund event, a fund in for cannabis business, and one is a syndication, a real estate syndication.
Speaker 2: There you go, got it.
Speaker 9: So the real estate syndication I'm more comfortable with because it's it's just seems more straightforward, you know, you look at your sponsor and all of that. It's more the vents or capital fund for the cannabis business that I'm a little bit not sure how to assess.
Speaker 2: Got you got? Do you have any do you have any real estate deals yet? Or do you have any deals of any kanyet like syndications, Yeah, anything, you got stocks, you got real estates that you're own your own.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, so I have some style. I have two rental properties, and so this would be kind of my first deal. That's not something that I'm directly doing.
Speaker 2: Got you, got you okay back? So now I have the info. Wow, congrats against you have set yourself up and I know that comes with tremendous effort and hard work. So I really commend you for that.
Speaker 9: Thank you, E y L. They got me on fire since last year. This is all these brothers are doing it for us. They're getting us on fire.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna give you your.
Speaker 8: Kudos, information, all thus applications on you. I appreciate you, yo.
Speaker 2: So check this out. So now this is wonderful because that context was really helpful because the answer changes depending on your situation. Right, Like like if you if you just got a little bit of bread, then investing in a syndication or in a VC fund is mad risky and not the best building block. But you've gone and build to building blocks of securities that are publicly traded, that are highly liquid. You can exchange them at any time for cash. And then you have some illiquid assets that can hedge against the market. It's volatility is providing you now with straight cash flow, and it's kind of good that it's not liquid, because in liquid assets have less volatility. So now you have an attractive portfolio construction. And now you have the opportunity as a third rung. Right, so first rung secured, next run liquid but also secure. And now this third rung you can start considering some riskier situations, some situations where you're not in control. You're an LP to the viewer out there, a limited partner limited partner why because you're a partner in the deal. However, your risk is exposed. Your risk is really only what you've put into the deal, so you can only lose what you've put up.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: However, typically when you're in LP, you're indemnified from any operational risks, So that business goes bankrupt, that business gets sued, any of that. It's on the GP, the general partner who is out there helming up the deal. You just lose your money and you're all good. Now. Similarly, that doesn't sound good to me. Doesn't sound good. So I started with the BAT part. But now similarly, and by the way, some people might like that you can lose your bread. But if you only put twenty five racks. Cool, you're out twenty five ratkes. But that was the risk that you took, and of course it'll be a well calculated bet.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The one of the other sides as well is you have participation rights, but not you know, any voting interests. Sometimes LPs can negotiate for depending on the power of the LP and the powers associated to the check size. Sometimes LPs can negotiate for voting interests on major liquidation events, for example M and A. If someone's looking to buy or sell the actual assets or the business or whatever, then it's subject to majority of vote from the LP base. Now, more commonly, you only have participation rights. You put money in. The sponsor is looking to guarantee or not guarantee, but suggests that you're going to have a fixed return eight percent, right, okay, cool. So now I've explaining the LP structure. Now we evaluate the two deals you're you're considering between real estate and the cannabis fun that's more VC. By the way, Darlene, there is a reason why you feel more uncomfortable with the VC one because it's a lot riskier, right, And there's a reason why you was like okay, cool, Like real estate I kind of fuck, Like I get you know, I'm already in this field. And that level of discomfort to comfort ratio is directly reciprocal to your returns opportunity as well. Right, So in terms of.
Speaker 9: The returns to they so the real estate I don't really know how to understand this, right, The internal rate of return the IRR for the real estate one they say is it's like fourteen percent, and the internal rate of return to the cannabis one they're saying.
Speaker 3: Is like forty to fifty percent.
Speaker 9: Is that related to.
Speaker 4: The risk of it?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: Because the internal rate of return, which is a little bit more of an elusive metric, but it is effectively your it's like a cash on cash return.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But when you use the cash on cash return in real estate, ie, I invested one hundred grand, I got twenty five k back that one year. That's a twenty five k cash on cash. But what cash on cash does not capture is any appreciation, any any and all of the financial benefits other than just dividends. So the ir is are more expansive, comprehensive metric, and that is one hundred percent correlated to risk. So just to keep it simple, right, in real estate, you stand to make less because the risk is less. There's a tangible asset. In the case that some shit goes wrong, you can always just sell the bones, you can sell the building, recoup some capital, and your downside is exposed. In a venture capital fund, those deals can pop off, those deals if you get If that fund manager is fortunate enough to get into a business like a coinbase, for example, they hit one hundred billion IPO best returned into all private capital, everyone's rich right now. You're gonna get into a lot more zero than you are rock stars. But the reason I like a fund personally, as if I were you as an LP, is because a fund their risk is spread across an aggregate of numerous companies. If you were making an investment in a directly in a startup, I would personally, you know, dissuade you from it unless you had startup experience. But investing in a fund manager, I just made an investment of fund myself last week, not a whole lot. You know, I threw them. I threw them, you know, some bread and I said, you'll hold that down.
Speaker 3: Why did I do that? Right?
Speaker 2: I evaluate the same opportunity as you, not not the same exact one, but the same type because because I realize, Okay, I like they're good pickers. I trust these people like they got to ie for startups. They're always in the mix, people know them. I just felt like, all right, bet, I'm gonna give you whatever. You can expect your money to triple effectively two to three x over ten years. You can also expect ironically similar returns from venture over the same time period, and Venture is a little bit less risky. So that said, I think that I personally would go with the individuals that you felt the most comfortable with, irrespective of the actual vehicle itself. That is my personal opinion. A lot of times this game comes down to the team behind it. And this is when you know VC's always a team, team, team. But you brought up a perfect case scenario where it makes sense. You're evaluating two potential projects. They're in two potential fields, right, both can work, both can fail. Whatever, which is this set of individuals that kind of makes you feel the most comfortable when you talk to them. You kind of feel like the integrity is tight. You feel like they get back to you in a timely manner. You feel a little bit more you know whomever that team is. If I were in your shoes.
Speaker 3: Earners, what's up?
Speaker 8: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash go, backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com, backslash go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate, Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring says eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 10: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With INDEED sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: I tend to lean on the side of YO. I kind of just fox with them the most. Let me put my money here and watch your play out as long as you can afford to lose it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's of course always a risk, but that's kind of is my read on the situation.
Speaker 9: Thank you so much, gentlemen, Thank you, Darlene, Thank yous, jo Yo.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, Darlene, Wow, and Dang. I went along on that, but I rarely get to discuss like the fucking mechanics.
Speaker 6: So if I saw your passionate just now, man, you gotta you gotta, you know, that's John henry Man like, you know, that's something that's extremely valuable information to have somebody that not just in theory, started a venture capital fund, was extremely successful in venture capital, trans trans old, transform that to what he's doing now, as far as started an insurance company. You know Forbes thirty under thirty like, this is a very rare opportunity to have, you know, an opportunity to ask somebody like that, you know, personal question and have them answer it for you in a very detailed manner. So you know that's that's that's something that's not that's not normal.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you and Darling hope to help skill up, keep us posed, by the way, let us know, let us know, slide into EYO comments or my comments in one of these days and let us know where you shook out.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Manuel were coming to you and meet yourself. You've been muted. What's going on?
Speaker 11: Appreciate you guys. I got lucky, second night in a row. I'm inhere Rock. I'm gonna keep it quick though, since I got my time yesterday. Two questions for you, John, if you had to take somebody that was newer to entrepreneurship, I have an LLC. Haven't really done anything with it. I wanted to do like an IT consulting company, But a lot of people in my community don't really have that drive behind them to learn that. So what are some good businesses to start off that will give you like a nice stable foundation or like a stable return that somebody can kind of learn from the jump and grow.
Speaker 2: With copy copy?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So are those both questions rolled up in one or is the other one completely?
Speaker 11: My other question was what type of information could I start reading to get a foundation for how to really go about creating a business structure?
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it? Yeah, we'd love the UIO boys a thoughts on this in my In my view, like certain honestly, service based shit is not super scalable, but there's always a clientele for it, so if you're coming from it, you know, like I think, I reflect back to my earliest early days when I was dry cleaning, like that's a service man. I didn't I didn't create a product. I didn't know how to do that shit. I didn't know anything about I didn't know a lot about most things. But I figure I could definitely convince you to use me, right, like you were already using drag clean, and I didn't have to convince you on a product that was novel. I just had to convince you to go with me. And so you know that service base approach allows you to develop some revenue, it is going to be, of course, tied to your time, and that's the bad part about it. However, that was my bridge away from a W two world that I didn't want to be in. I was like, all right, Matt, let me at least if I could work for eight hours for someone else, I could definitely sell for eight hours for myself and just eat what I kill. And I was like, yo, I'm making five hundred bucks a week, Like you mean to tell me. I can't figure out the way made five hundred bucks a week Like that was all the money in the world to me. However, I was like, yo, I think I can make five hundred bucks somehow, And that's what kind of bridged me over. So that's my take. Of course, there's a lot of other takes in EYL is constantly in the flow of you know, different businesses that are generating revenue. So would love your guys take it?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, so the question was how to create revenue.
Speaker 2: Like some something like the best businesses for like somewhat predictable revenue in the beginning.
Speaker 11: Like for a first time business owner, if you were to get in something, if you were to put your hand in somewhere and start off from something, what would be some of the businesses that would be most stable and sustainable for me?
Speaker 6: Oh, I think you gotta look at service based businesses that you know there's always needs for. But also I would look at things that are low cost items to start. This is why that Amazon situation is so so popular, because it's like, you know, very low cost and you can sell things that people really need. But I would I would kind of look for something. I mean, that's that's kind of a tough question because it's hard to really give advice on something that you haven't done, to be completely honest with you about it. And I you know, we're a media company and it's worked for us. Now obviously that's not something that will work for everybody, right, Like I can tell you that, Okay, Well, probably if you open a nail salon, people are always going to get the nails done.
Speaker 3: But I never I don't.
Speaker 6: I've never opened the nail salon, so I can't, you know, I can It makes sense to me because it's a recession proof business. It's something that you know, outside of the pandemic. It's never going away. A barbershop never going away. People always need their headcut. But I did think there's limited upside on that. But I think for me personally, I just like to give advice on things that we have really experienced or we know closely firsthand. And most of those things aren't in that field. Like even the people that we have relationships with, they're not. It's not directly in that field. It's for was like with the nail salon, the barbershops, things of that nature.
Speaker 8: So you have Yeah, I would just add to it. I think the word deviation is the word right.
Speaker 3: We didn't. We didn't.
Speaker 8: We didn't have to deviate from what we were readily rooted in. And so Shady's career was already in financial advice and I was already in education. We just figured out there was something that we can do based on what we already knew, and so doing other things like we could have opened a barbershop, or we we could have now that we knew trucking, right, we learned those things, but our root, our core, like people call it the mother Our mothership is what we have already been doing. And so a lot of times people especially in education, and that's you know, that's my background, so that's where I could speak from. It was, okay, we're going to try a bunch of things until something works based in what we already are rooted in, and so earn your leisure becomes an extension of really education from in a financial sense. And so like I wouldn't, I would find what I'm doing now because a lot of people discount that, right there's something that you're doing right now that you're super skilled, that that you're overlooking because you want to try to create a business from something you know nothing about and we do that and it's okay, but you have a skill right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I think you're going about it the wrong way as far as to see what's the path of least resistance or what's the easiest way to kind of have a safe play. Nothing is ever safe in business. There's always obstacles and the vast majority of businesses don't succeed. That's fine, because you can start another business, but I would chase your passion first. I would see what you're already doing. How you can monetize that, where you have relationships, what you enjoy, where you think you can help people. It sounds corny, but I think that that's something that you know we have. That's that's what that's really the core root of our business. It's like to say, Okay, this is something that before we can make money, we can help people. And I think that as long as you can help people, you're always gonna be able to make money. So if I was starting a business, I would start with something that I'm passionate about, something, something that can help people, something that I'm already doing, something that I know. I wouldn't necessarily start with something that I have no idea about, but I think it is something that is what people you know, would be an easy situation to do.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, like, that's no joke.
Speaker 8: Like when I was teaching, I was a coach, right, I was after school program coordinator. I did everything I could in education as another source of income.
Speaker 3: Right, I was a tutor.
Speaker 8: Right, anything I could find income from what I was already doing. I was trying to do creating programs based around education. All right, let's do that too.
Speaker 11: Just saying basically stay in my lane.
Speaker 3: Nah, I mean there's a million lanes. Everybody has to get in one.
Speaker 6: But just holding hone down on what you on, what you already doing, or what you are passionate about, and I would I would pursue that first.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of depth there, man. I think it's sound advice. So hopefully this helps you. And and by the way, sometimes you got to do a lot of Sometimes you just got to try a lot of shit that you find out later you don't like, until you figure out what you do.
Speaker 3: Like, That's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: So just space, give yourself permission to just you know, go through every emotion while you while you find what to lock in on. But the greatest blessing is to have something that you feel worthy of locking in on. Once you find that thing that you could lock in on and just pour your all into it, especially if you you know, whether that's by yourself or with friends or whatever, it's a very special thing and and that that is the best we can ask for pretty much. So I wish you success and I wish you luck on your journey to find that. Let us not keep up posed appreciate.
Speaker 6: It the more people you can help, the more money you can make. If you think about it, every successful business because they've helped you. Well, even if you look at the richest people in the world, if you look at you know, Amazon, right at its core root, it's helping people. It's helping people making shopping a lot easier. And it started with books and now it's everything e commerce where it's like now you don't have to go to Target or Walmart. You can just from the convenient of your home. And they've cut out their competition. It's cheaper prices. So regardless if you if you agree with their business model or not, it's built around providing a service that's valuable for people to help people. So Netflix the same way it helps people entertain, soothe, get over. You know, you don't have to go to the movies. That was the whole thing, right, it was like, you don't even have to go to Blockbuster, like at least before you had to actually drive the Blockbuster. They realized that people would rather just stay at home and instead of paying nine ninety nine for a cassette every Blockbuster, you can pay nine to ninety nine a month and have unlimited movies that you can watch at your disposal. So quicker people figure that out. I think the bet off everybody will be in business. And like I said, it sounds cheesy, but it is true. The more people that you can help, the more money you can make.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it. So chase your passion, find a problem, try to create a solution for it. Help people. Yes, that was my job, that was my John Henry moment. Right there. Yeah, let's go to Angel, Angel. What's going on. I'll meet yourself. You've been unmuted.
Speaker 12: Hey, fellas, how's it going.
Speaker 3: Everything's great? How are you good? Good? Good?
Speaker 12: Angel Garcia down here a little Havanah. I got a question for both of you, guys. I'm in the real estate business, and I've been in the business now for about fifteen years, have a master's degree. I've worked for a couple private equity firms in town, and I've gone to the point and I've gone to a skill level where, you know, I just really want to start doing this for myself. And my goal is to become a developer. And as you guys probably know, there aren't a lot of Latino developers. There aren't a lot of black developers. Every time I'm in a room it's seriously with people that don't look like me. So I have the skill level, I have the ability, I have the experience. Now what I really need is to figure out how to raise the capital I need, whether it's on the GP side or the LP side, to fund these projects that I know how to manage, that I know how to turn a profit on. And there's like a gap where I have the skill and experience, but I don't have the partners and I don't have the capital to get started. But I have the skills, I have the experience. I just need to fill that gap. So, whether it's going to seminars to meet like minded people, I'm just trying to figure out how to launch here, to take advantage of the skill set and really make it, you know, and really make a dent in the real estate business.
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it?
Speaker 3: Cool? Cool? Awesome man.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on being in that position. I think, you know, few of us Latinos and lat folks are get the opportunity to have gone through through you know. I'm sure it was a lot of hard work, and somehow, through that hard work, you've now developed your technical acumen and your expertise and you are able, my friend, to craft more novel projects that are more difficult to put together. They're more complex, and they're typically at larger scale because you know, unlike someone who's buying and flip the homes, which can make a lot of bread, and you make a lot of cash on cash return on small deals. That's is gonna be really hard to flip your way up to the point where you're doing four five hundred union deals, megaplexes and really doing large developments. And a flipper can get there. But the bridge from there to there is the technical acumen that you've acquired and you've learned a shave on someone else's right, So you've got the chops while being paid a nice comfortable salary, and I bet you made bonuses along the way. So now you have probably a little bit of a cash cushion. You're you're and and you're pursuing how to get started. You want to crack it. This is my exact story, although probably more true of my partners. Right, So I'm more of just like a raw hustler, just taught myself the ship somehow. My partners are my foreign partners aren't home capital and a lot more in your position where they had gone through thng and we knew we wanted to do it for ourselves. So the best thing that I can tell you is one do it with homies. If you end up doing it with anyone doing with homies, man, the solo GP path is brutal, it's lonely, it's kind of whack. You can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just so much work to do it with your own money to start if you can't, even if it's on a small scale, because is the biggest path of resistance that you will get on any fundraising trail when your first time fund manager will always be well, what's the track record? Yeah, you can point to your track record of your body of work from your private equity funds, but everyone knows that you know, being an analysts and being an associated at a firm don't mean that you source the deal, don't mean that you cut the deal, don't mean that you you know orchestrated the deal. You just worked on it. But analysts get the most chops because you're out there doing the dirty work and doing the heavy lifting. So you you can point to your past body of work as a way to demonstrate that you have the technical acumen and the modeling experience to be able to properly handle that side of the deal. And you just got to prove that you have that beast and you that can go out there and get deals, close deals, look a man straight in the fucking aisle or woman shake their hands and get the deal done right. And it doesn't matter what scale done right. You've done that great so now so so then if I were you, there really wouldn't be a question that you would have to ask, right, you gotta tap that fucking inner shark right like, you got the deal, you got the technical acumen, and now what you have to work on is packaging. Right. Packaging the deck, my friend, is the biggest tool in raising money any acid class period.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You put together a deck and you will have money. That's a killer deck, and you can sell it and you will have money on the other side. To me, it's always been bizarre by the way you can walk in there with a fucking PowerPoint and present it and just sell someone and on the other side of that you will get it a check on the other side of a diligenous process, of course, So of course This is in some essences of simplification, but in other essences the only information that I believe you really need is put it together and over index on the side of making it look professional. For example, we actually paid someone like fifteen hundred bucks or two thousand dollars to put together you know, I made my own deck and then I had someone else design it make it look killer. And it's like, yeah, that's a lot of money spent on a deck, but I'm gonna spend two grand on a dock that's gonna make me twenty million. Yeah, it's what overterials looking good, over index on you know, on just having a tight thesis and knowing your ship and and I don't think that there's any reason why you couldn't go out there. And by the way, there's a lot of diversity money going to emerging fund managers right now. Diverse they don't have enough back. There's only looking people than all these other guys. So if Angel Garcia comes along and he knows his ship and he's sharp and you know he can sell, then you're gonna get the back guaranteed.
Speaker 4: Where can I find that length?
Speaker 2: Though, I guess it's my question, Well, well, length.
Speaker 12: Bro like like who, like, who are the those funds that I can have the conversation with. I mean, it's out there, but I just don't know where to go.
Speaker 2: I guess it's I mean, they're not in a neat little list that says you'll come find me right It's elusive. It's you know, capitals in the fucking air right now. You know, billions of dollars always flowing. You know, if you make a good impression, I might be able to know someone who does consider LP deals and then you get to them, and then that person Cob probably knows a few other people, and you got to work your way in with salesmanship and alert you know, in that alert. Yeah, So I'll do I'll do this. I'll do this for the community out there. Put together some materials and send them my way. If I like them, I will put them in front of a number of dudes that I know whose net worth is in twenty fifty ms, whom consider these investments regularly, that might take a serious look if I send it their way. But you got to have your shit together, and if it's not, I will simply not pass it on because I treasure these relationships too.
Speaker 3: Much.
Speaker 2: But if they are, I give you my word that I will do. Request a double op intro and say, yo, take a look at this. Is this do you want to learn more? And if they say yes, this, you know, that's kind of on you and the timing and everything else. But you got to hustle your way in. So let's see what you can produce. I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I make sure to do that.
Speaker 6: Also, I always say shout out to Ang I remember him from the Airbnb episode.
Speaker 3: He's in Little Havana. Are you Cuban?
Speaker 12: Puerto Rican and black?
Speaker 3: Puerto Rican and black? Okay?
Speaker 6: So what another thing that you should Networking is extremely important, right, and you said something that was very poignant. You said, you know a lot of most real estate developers they're they're white, and it's hard to crack into that situation for a variety of different reasons. We don't even have to go into that. But never discount the value of networking and affinity groups. So there's a lot of Puerto Rican people. I don't know about Miami, but I know in Orlando, in Florida, in New York. Definitely, I would look for infinity groups, especially on the Latin side, especially on the you know port It doesn't even have to be Puerto Rican group. It could be a Cuban group too. If you speak Spanish. That's a tremendously valuable thing in America. I would look for affinity groups and network with other Latino or Black developers, and if there aren't any infinity groups in the area, I would start one. Because people tend to be tribal in nature, this is something that is extremely important for people to understand. Jewish people usually tend to do business with Jewish people. Indian people usually tend to do business with Indian people. People tend to usually do business with Italian people. The problem is that a lot of times it's Black and Spanish people, Latin people. We look for other groups to do business with us, unfortunately, because we're not in positions of power, so we look for them to hire us. We look for them to partner with us. But that's not really the best way to go about it, because self preservation is the number one key to life. And like I said, people are naturally tribal by nature, so you really can't expect white people to do business with you. I mean they can if they want to, but in reality, they have more in common with other white people. What we need to do is start doing business with each other. Black people need to start doing business with black people. A Talian, Spanish people, a Latin people need to start doing business with Latin people. We need to start doing business with each other. And that way we wouldn't have to rely on always looking for a white savior to save us, because.
Speaker 3: That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 8: To be honest with you, angel I got advice that you can apply, like right now, Okay, you can go to the Facebook group right now, tell them everything that you're talking about, and I guarantee there will be some earners that will be interested to help you and be a part of what you're trying to do. Like you have a network of people that you're on zoom right now, so I know you're an earner and so if you tell the people the intent, it's an amazing community. I'm not just saying it because we're part Like I've seen it happen. I've seen people. It's the reason why we have our own groups inside of eyl University is for these exact reasons. Who are the people I can partner with. I'm sure there's plenty of people in South Florida that are inside the group right now that didn't even know that this was happening right that you had these ambitions and will be willing to work with you and help you in this process. You can do that like, well, after this is done, don't do it right now right.
Speaker 4: I'll make sure to do.
Speaker 8: That, absolutely, man, and we'll be able to see it too. So I'm looking forward to seeing you putting that message in the in the group.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll make sure to do that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, appreciate you, Angel, Angel, Good luck Man, be encouraged, my friend. I think you you have a really unique opportunity ahead of you. You have all the wherewithal and the knowledge, and it's going to be purely a measure of your effort and resourcefulness from this point. So God speed, my friend. Keep it supposed to.
Speaker 3: Oh we got this is this is a special calling right here, yo. Andre.
Speaker 2: Also a quick note to the one point one thousand you guys watching, and thank you so much for tuning in to the Wealth Principles. It's been an experimental collaboration between Loop and myself and earn your leisure team. So we man, we were proud of the value that we delivered. We've dived into how the mechanics of how to build a two hundred and fifty million dollar company with one of the only black fans speaking of black business that has gone and done that. So on the wrong we've talked about content strategy and great depth from the team captain of Gary Vee, who is probably the best modern marketer in the world at the moment. And we've also discussed the power of brand with one of my favorite up and coming entrepreneurs that I consider a close friend as well, named Annie Hustles from Cocutta, Chico. So we've given you a wide variety of information and great detail and mad PDFs information you name it all out the wazoo. So I appreciate you guys. If you've gotten any value from this whatsoever, I would appreciate you guys checking out Loopinsured dot Co. That's the name of my company. Speaking about community support community Man, we were looking to build an insurance carrier that's for us, by us. None of these other carriers are going to consider our outcomes, our situations, none of that. And so speaking of what Shadday was saying earlier about adding value. The truth to adding value is you can only add value to the extent of what you know, right, And so when I started, I did what I knew was my possile was a dry cleaner, So I you know, I did that. And then my as my vision had expanded and my acumen had expanded, I went and did more and more things that helped more and more people. Now I'm at the point of my chops where you know, I can create a vertically integrated financial services company and attack and industry. I learned how to sell doing dry clean and I learned how to brand doing an incubator. I learned how to raise capital starting to fund. This is a combination of all those things paired with you know, my co founder who brings a tremendousest, tremendous technical expertise, so we can build you know, predictive models and ingest data and build mobile product and then apply a brand around it, and then apply to a segment in the market, which is you all community that has been overlooked in many different ways, and insurance is one of certainly one of the big culprits. So that's what loop is is our interpretation of how to tackle this from the ground up. We recently were this close to inking up a sizable deal that I hope to be able to announce in the coming weeks, and we are not live in the market just yet. We are starting in Texas. Texas was strategically chosen because it's a large market, real volumin it's big auto market, a lot of a lot of US here as well, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Passo. We're you know, we're getting busy. But then immediately you know, we're this is a venture pace. This is not We're gonna be in Texas for three years and then state number two and in the fourth year, this is we're gonna be live in Texas. We're immediately filing our race and filing for approval in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York. Georgia, Fucking Atlanta's gonna be a key market for us. I'm definitely heading over, you know, Georgia, Arizona. What's good. We're growing, going to expand our geographic footprint. We hope to raise more capital and bring the service to more places. So if that has brought you any value, head over to loopinsure dot co and join the wait list. Man, that would mean a lot to me. Bonus bonus if you head over to loopinsurre dot co slash ey l. That's the web experience that we created in conjunction with UYL that takes all the information that was discussed on all these episodes and delivers it to you no charge, just to build depth, connection trust. So that's available for you as well. Also take note, by the way, just to be transparent about the page here right, we'll building something for the community earn. Your leader has a platform and enormous currency with the community. So what did we do. We came together and we made a limited serious exploration of what could occur to cross pollinate and explore the value that could be had there. So also take a page from our book. By the way, if you're a media company, find a partner, and if you're a business, find a media partner. So what we're doing, we're real transparent about it. It's for you all to consume and benefit from. I'm joined that waylist. I would really appreciate it loopinsure dot co. Maybe the boys can link it up. That would be appreciated. If it's not already sure.
Speaker 6: And I think I think somebody Johnny dare he froze on our I'm not sure if he's frozen on YouTube?
Speaker 2: Oh check check check check.
Speaker 3: No, I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's if it if it's all Wi Fi or I'm not sure, but you have frozen a little bit. But what I was saying is that also somebody I saw somebody on YouTube saying like we still don't have a Black Wall Street. I would actually beg to differ we in twenty twenty one. So black Wall Street isn't isn't like a physical place where it's like a town that's actually limited if you really think about it in today's economy. And I think we actually have and are establishing a Black Wall Street online. And you see ear your Leisure, you don't just see a platform. It's an ecosystem of businesses and entrepreneurs that have all come together and all have common goal. So when you see us working with John that's a black owned insurance company, you know that's a black owned, Latin owned insurance company that.
Speaker 3: Is global, will be global.
Speaker 6: So when you see us working with Alex good Energy, it's a black owned trucking company, when you see us with Paula, who's the only black woman in New York that has a water facility, you know that's extremely important. When you see us with anybody that we have who ninety percent of the people that we highlight are black business owners and investors. That is a renaissance. That's the new Black renaissance, and that is Black Wall Street. Like I said, it's not in Tulsa, Oklahoma, it's on Instagram, it's online, and these people are on all different areas of the globe, in all different areas of the country. But we can't discount the value of the economic renaissance that is actually taking place over the last eighteen months. You would be extremely you would do yourself with disservice if you didn't understand that, like how we looked at Black Wall Street is history. Everything that we're doing right now is going to be looked at his history twenty years from now, thirty years from now, ten years from now. And it's important that we say that because if not, somebody else will take the credit for what's what's happening, and they'll ReadWrite history however they want it to write it. So if you want to, if you want history to reflect the truth. It's important for you to dictate it and for you to to have a deep level of reverence. We always have reverence and respect for people after they die. Unfortunately, people stream DMX music. He's number one. Nipsey Hussu, his music went crazy after he died. But we have to understand that we can't follow dead generals, like when somebody dies. The legacy, there's not a there's nothing. You can't follow a dead person. You can look at them for inspiration, but you have to actually have reverence and appreciate people that's actually living. So when I look at John Henry, I look at him as one of the most important entrepreneurs in the century, and we have to understand that and not minimize He started an insurance company. This is Geico, this is his competition, Geico State Farm Nationwide. He's a billion dollar industry. So we can't just look at it and just minimize it. Because he's on YouTube for free for an hour every Thursday this month. We have to understand that this is Black Wall Street and this is history. So just keep that in mind and add to it, and let's really grow this as big as it possibly can be.
Speaker 3: Onset.
Speaker 8: Well, ironically enough, we're approaching one hundred year of the destruction of Blackwall Street and Tulsa, Oklahoma. So it starts in the mind and that's why we always we talk about that a lot. When our mindset is there, what we can achieve is unfathomable, and so we got to remember that.
Speaker 3: John Henry, Oh wait, I've had this.
Speaker 8: Guy home, Hatchet, the very first first yl professor, university professor, two time professor.
Speaker 3: That's true, he did. He doubles back. What's going on, Hatchet?
Speaker 13: Everything is great, man, everything is great. Just called in to just show love to you guys. I've watched every all four episodes, so I know John from our Harlem days. So shout out to John on the growth and the expansion. Honor to know you guys.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 13: John Ya, I'm actually in Austin, John, if you're around, I'd love to get you on my show. I'll be here till like Saturday Sunday, So hit me a you down for that, but much love that.
Speaker 3: Thank you, man.
Speaker 13: I appreciate it. I mean, epic shit's happening year. Take it likely, this is hardcore pressure. Take it likely. Appreciate these brothers and I so honest to know you guys.
Speaker 3: John hit me up, h e y Yl.
Speaker 13: Put me back on the platform. Then later everybody show these guys some level.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I appreciate you brothers, love John, thank you many appreciate it. Andre Hatchett, the King of Mordal notary business.
Speaker 3: Another that was.
Speaker 8: A shocker that I didn't even know you that was a business. Another one mad margin, It's insane. I'm like, wait, you made what cool man?
Speaker 3: John? Are you ready to just uh conclude.
Speaker 2: This, Yes, sir, it was just about to say, fellas, it's been real. Thank you to everyone who jumped in on this episode. We appreciate you guys getting the chance to jump in ask questions. I got mad other questions that came in through the emails I came in through everything. I thought I would do something fun. I got an idea. So I want to invest. I mentioned this last time. I've been proactively looking for deals. So I want to invest, as I mentioned, not not a huge amount, but ten ten racks. I'll throw ten racks to a number of businesses that I like. Bro, someone was fucking emailing me with all caps locked, being like, yo, you really said that ship and click it's like, yeah, now that I got your attention, I was like, Bro, come on, man, it's clever, but come on, man, hit me with some real shit. You know, if you go, if you go to like go to join the wait list, what we're gonna do is we'll do a clubhouse and then we'll just do these live pitches and the deals that I want to double click on. We'll take a look. So just throwing that out there for all the folks that ask questions and didn't working on businesses and didn't get a chance to get their ship answered. We got you. But yo, fellas, thank you man. It's been real. It's been a lot of fun. I learned a great deal from from you guys. And you guys. Man, you guys are just getting a chance to banter back and forth over the weeks and just seeing your guys is you know, your your acumen evolved. The platform has expanded ridiculously from the time we started the show and it was just a month ago. What the fuck a ridiculous ray. It's the same, bro, like we back, companies don't grow as fast. Bro, I'm watch bro.
Speaker 6: Hockey hockey stick, hockey stick growth rate, hockey hockey stick.
Speaker 2: Bro, it's just like this, uh community, take note, man, continue supporting these brothers and then you know, you guys got the mind's touch right now to keep it rolling. We're gonna be doing everything we can on this side to continue with the to support on the continue growth man, from sharing episodes, consuming sharing. Everyone do the same. And yeah, man, I think it's been love. It's been a great it's been a great run. The content is gonna live evergreen. We'll see the long tail that ends up having. And it's been a great honest, it's been a great, uh great experience from this side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate you, bro.
Speaker 6: Like I said, it's been a great run for us, and we enjoyed it a lot. We look forward to doing more work with you in the future. And it was something that I know a lot of people got a lot of value from because I learned people say, like I implemented stuff right away when we interview when we did the content episode and Andy when he was talking about like instagra, YouTube the rails, I forgot what it's called, but YouTube like it's kind of like a real situation.
Speaker 2: And the YouTube shorts, yep, YouTube.
Speaker 6: Shorts, And I did one like an hour after the episode and people were like, were you implementing a I'm like, what's the point of listening to something that implement it? And then with the captions, I started putting captions on rails and co people notice that, like I see, I see you. You didn't waste no time. So yeah, I mean, I'm applying the information myself. And like I said, if you're not, if you're not applying the information and you're just being entertained. So the whole point of it is to provide, is to provide you with information that you can really apply. And these are things that I actually applied in real time, just from from actually learning from here. So we learn just as much as everybody else learns. So hopefully you guys learned something or a variety of different things that you can implement. And make sure you rewatch these. They're on YouTube, they're on the podcast channel, so share them. Sign up to Loop Ensure, make sure you support that. Make it the number one insurance company in the world. Let's really you know, hit the hit the ball out the park. John always a pleasure man. I'll call you the young legend, but I'm taking young off. You're just a legend outright, and so when you were just speaking, that's about my brain.
Speaker 8: I have an idea. The people that are requesting that you come back. So I got an idea.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. Fellas, be well Man and joy La keep holding it down. We're room for you all and until the next one. Fellas all right, bro, appreciate you, Thank you all for watching. Listen, appreciate you, love us.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 9: My graduates from my school.
Speaker 7: Being forced back and drop drop, Mike, drop back drop.
Speaker 10: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com. Slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need