Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and Eva Low in Sentrancsco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Ali Barberscher's surge to the highest level for nearly four years after revealing plans to ramp up AI spending.
Speaker 4: Plus Stargate takes shape. Five new data center sites in the US planned as open aiplows one are a billion dollars into AI infrastructure along with partners Oracle and SoftBank.
Speaker 3: And Jimmy Kimmel returned to TV Tuesday night, saying it was never his intention to make light of the murder of Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 2: We have the latest.
Speaker 4: Let's turn our attention though to the markets which are flat on the day and the moment, and I'm looking at nassack up. Well, we're currently lower by tenth of a percent. We have been training higher. No, we've got sensitivity, sensitivity to the macro data home sales coming strong yields on the bond market therefore push higher. Also though the bond market, the US treasury market being affected by a big corporate debt sale coming from a big tech player at Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stories to get to in the program. You are right, Oracle shares are down, but it's a debt story tapping corporate bond markets for fifteen billion dollars of debt, including a very rare.
Speaker 2: Forty year No.
Speaker 3: In the program, we're going to get to that and their role in what's happening with open AI and the Stargate build out. Ali Barber having a really strong day simply pledging to spend even more on AI than the fifty billion dollars they already disclose, and then Microns strong forecast for the current period in line with consensus above consensus. But as you know is always the case, there are elements of the street that were even more bullish. They wanted to see more from the Memory Maker in the role that it's playing in Aida Center's characters.
Speaker 4: Only when it's added forty percent of its share price in just this month's the lone ed. But first it is the United Nations General Assembly. It's still underway this week here in New York, and we now go to the un Rose Garden Weblionberg survey that says Amri Horden is standing by with a special guest.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Caroline. Well, as far as the UN General Assembly goes, this one was of note. The past twenty four hours we saw really a massive geopolitical shift from the rhetoric of President Donald Trump, and I'm so glad right now to get the inside of what this means for Europe. She's European's top diplomat and also the former Estonian Prime Minister Kaya Kalis. Thank you so much, and welcome to Bloomberg TV.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: So yesterday, President Trump came out with this post on social media saying he thinks Ukraine can actually get back all of the land, a very different tone that we saw from him even just three weeks ago. He said that the European Union would have to be on board with this, so what is the path forward?
Speaker 6: Well, it was also very positive statement. I mean before I also met with the Ukrainians who had a meeting with President Trump and also said that it was a very good meeting, asking you know, how you know US can support also Ukraine and saying that you know, Russia's economy is not doing well all what we also read in the in the post. So we have been on that line, and we really welcome the shift in the tone.
Speaker 5: The president also talked about even going further into even Russia. Is you're prepared to buy more weapons to then give them to Ukraine.
Speaker 6: Well, we are doing a lot. I mean this year only our military support to Ukraine has been twenty five billion, which is more than any other year. It is clear that we have to help Ukraine to defend themselves because as President Zelenski said in speech as well, I mean if we allow Russia will just go further, we have to push them back. We have to also say that this is not okay and you cannot let the aggression pay off.
Speaker 5: Due to the sense of which European countries, though are willing to put it more funds when it comes to Ukraine, whether or not it's funds directly or to actually buy those weapons.
Speaker 6: Well, we have different initiatives also to help European countries to help Ukraine but also invest more in their own defense, and we are putting a lot of funding on the table. Of course, it is difficult. It requires also member states to make some very difficult decisions like cutting social spending but also raising taxes which are not popular. That is very clear but we are in this situation where we are where we have to invest in defense, and the problem is that you need it when you actually don't feel the need yet. So you need to do the decisions way before you actually need the defense capabilities. And if you do it, it acts as a deterrence so that the aggressor would not look your way.
Speaker 5: Trump also said yesterday the US is prepared for more powerful sanctions, robust sanctions, tariffs on Russia, but only if the European Union is in lockstep.
Speaker 7: Now, we have seen.
Speaker 5: Movements the European Union is talking about when it comes to things like fossil fuels. They are ready to do these tariffs. But we are three years and seven months into this war. Why did it take for President Trump to convince Brussels to do what Brussels probably knew from the very beginning they had to do.
Speaker 8: Now, excuse me.
Speaker 6: We have done the nineteen packages of sanctions, and we would like our partners three in lockstep with us because we have put a lot of pressure than next the package that we propose now, as also crypto financing institutions. Also energy. Yes, what Bresident Trump says about energy is true. We have been saying for the I know.
Speaker 5: You specifically are talking about this for a year.
Speaker 6: Quite some time, because we have been dependent on Russia and now we are phasing out, and it's true that it.
Speaker 2: Should be faster.
Speaker 6: We are trying to push those few Member states who are still buying Russian energy to show that actually, if you want this war to stop, you need to really cut off the funding of this war which comes from the fossil fuds.
Speaker 5: Hungary, Belgium, France.
Speaker 2: Do you think they're really prepared to do this?
Speaker 6: I mean these countries, I mean the countries who are dependent on Some are making great steps and some are not so clearly, some are great friends of President Trump, which has been also our appeal to President Trump to talk to them, like Hungary, for example, so that this is necessary. The neighbors around Hungary, for example, have proposed solutions so that they can get energy from the neighbors and do not have to depend on Russia, but so far they haven't really wanted to as the energy is much cheaper.
Speaker 5: Do you view this posture now from the United States? Some are calling it a full one eighty? Do you view it as concrete? Is this tangible?
Speaker 6: How long will it last, Well, we welcome those statements and the change of tone. Like I said, so let's build on this also really tangible steps. I mean on the European side, we have been keeping this line. Also putting our money where our mouth is, I mean, supporting Ukraine their defense capability, is investing more in our defense and also pushing back Russia, putting pressure on Russia. What we want to see you from all our allies.
Speaker 5: One country that could really put pressure on Russia is China. Given the fact that you've been working with the United States when it comes to Russia, could more be done between the European Union and the US to put pressure on China to then put pressure on putin USS tariffs on China. Is it time for the European Union to consider putting the walls up on China, not just what's going on in Ukraine, but also they're pretty much dismantling the European industrial base.
Speaker 6: Well, it is true. We have two big worries with China. One is the economic cursive practices that they are using against European companies which are really hurting our companies, industry and economy. And the other part is them being the key enabler of Russia's war in Ukraine. So we had China Summit. We are stressing all these points and really raising these points and also acting on them. If you look at the sanctions package, we are sanctioned also Chinese companies who are enabling this war to continue. So we are not or let's put it this way, that we are believers of free trades, so we are not using tariffs as the measures, but we are putting pressure by other means.
Speaker 9: I just want to.
Speaker 5: Finish on the incursions. When it comes to European airspace. Friday, it happened in Estonia, a country you used to lead is a Estonia, and these countries prepared to do with the President Donald Trump thinks NATO ally should do shoot these Russian aircrafts down.
Speaker 6: Well, NATO is a collective defense alliance, which means that attack on one is attack on all. This is Article five. So it's clearly if if those drones are airplanes, are violating the airspace, are creating security risks, then there has to be a proper response. The Esonia asked the article for which is consultations how to continue and all the member states in NATO, including the United States, have vowed to keep up their commitments.
Speaker 5: Madam Callis, thank you so much for time on Blomberg TV today. Caroline ed, of course, that was Europe's top diplomat welcoming the really reversal we saw from the President of the United States right here at the UN yesterday when it comes to Putin's invasion of Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Amory Horden at the United Nations, thank you very much.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 3: Coming up on Bloomberg Tech, the largest US maker CP computer memory ships gabe an upbeat forecast for the current quoler. We'll talk about what's lifting Mike One's outlook. Next, why the shares aren't doing so well. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Microsoft will start using AI models from Anthropic to help power its workplace AI assistant, a product that has so far, of course, been mostly driven by Open AI. Starting today, business users of Microsoft's Copilot branded AI assistant well, they will be able to toggle between open AI and Anthropic models for certain functions like digital research assistance or building customized AI Toolsberg's Brody Ford joins us for this and so many other stories. Brody we start with the idea the Microsoft becoming less and less dependent on open ai and versus vice versa.
Speaker 10: That's the big question for Microsoft right it's kind of stake. It's ai bets on the idea that open ai will be its golden goose. These two companies have slowly moved apart from one another, and today we see Microsoft making a big partnership with the other kind of leading frontier model maker of anthropics, showing that you know, they're testing the waters. They're looking around. They aren't as a bet on the Altman show, Brody.
Speaker 3: The big story in the market today is is Oracle tap in corporate bonds fifteen billion dollars including a forty year note, which is a rare thing, but actually it just speaks what you wrote about in the Tech and Depth newsletter. There are all these pledges and Oracle and others are run in all these checks for future infrastructure, and now they're trying to work out how they're going to cover those checks.
Speaker 10: Oracle is one of the great cash cow businesses of all time, but it's cash flows when negative, and it's going to be negative for the next couple of years. They've committed the serving of open ai, serving customers like Meta with huge data centers and that money's got to come from somewhere, and so folks have wondered where that will be, and so seeing them tap the debt markets in a big way today is not a shocker, but it's maybe a larger sum than we anticipated.
Speaker 4: And how amazing that people are willing to commit to buying forty year debt when still we're wondering if we win the AI race in that time. But I think it speaks to what was announce of late yesterday as well, open AI articulating those five new sites around United States, the idea that they need they're going to be playing four hundred billion of the five hundred billion committed in stargate. But what was really interesting and shoeing Gafari wrote about this was that basically some altman saying, we haven't quite got funding tied up here yet, We're having to be creative, basically is what they're saying. And look at how Video invested in Open AI.
Speaker 10: Off the back of that, you're hearing these fears of a circular spending a lot more right that one hundred billions going from Open Aid to Video to Oracle and back right, And the Oracle's new co CEO said that in Texas yesterday as well that look, we're clearly doing something here. You can see it. We have ambitious plans. The money is something we're still figuring out. This is a historic amount of investment, and we're going to have to use interesting new structures. Was I think his words.
Speaker 3: There's three new sites right in this expansion of stargates, Shackelford County, Texas, donn Aana County, New Mexico, and then somewhere in the Midwest. So we don't know about explain Oracle's involvement, because they are actually at the heart of this sty and I think it's worth lingering.
Speaker 10: On Oracle as agreed to effectively be the infrastructure middle person. Right They're going to go out and find data center developers who have figured out the power. They're going to rent big old buildings from them, fill them with servers, and then use power from those servers and give it to open AI. They have committed to a pretty incredible project here, and it's work that's worth noting that Microsoft passed on. They said that for whatever reason, they weren't going to do that, and so Oracle has found its way to be taken seriously in the clouds infrastructure game. Did something huge, but now it has to deliver.
Speaker 3: And has to find some money to do it. Adix brody Ford, great reporting, Thank you very much. The other big story out there in the market is Micron shares a little bit under pressure. The company reported a strong outlook for the current core to help by demand for high bandwidth memory in the AI context. It's a classic scenario Carrage talking about earlier where it beat consensus on its outlook, but at the very high end of estimates. You know, this was a high bar kind of corner. Let's get out to Kim Forrest Cio a book Capital Partners. You know, the market starting to understand that HBM is absolutely critical to the AI infrastructure build out we've got, but still such a high bar for Micron. What was your reaction and interpretation of those numbers.
Speaker 8: I thought they were incredible because I had, you know, consensus estimates kind of in my mind whenever I was looking at this stock. Now, the other thing that is missing from this equation is it's run up tremendously in the recent past, So I think there is a little but maybe some of the traders that aren't in that aren't going to stay around in the name are out because of the great gains they've gotten in the recent past. So there's a little bit of profit taking going on. But really all arrows are green and pointed up. So I think this stock is pointed up into the right. And some of the the areas that I think are most kind of strange is old tech is coming back for them as well. And I mean that's kind of great too for a lot of players if you are a tech oriented investor, so regular servers, you know, just the stuff that Microsoft and Oracle has been building for itself, for enterprise to rent out aws, that sort of stuff is on the upswing. It has been missing for a couple of years, right. And then here's a crazy idea, PCs. Because they're killing Windows ten, there is going to be increased demand for PCs and probably the higher endpcs as people start to play around with AI. So all arrows look upwards. And I don't really care what the stock's doing today. It generally does does this and it's not trading off quite as much as it had in the recent past on the day after.
Speaker 3: Earning well kim trading up in the recent past is up ninety four percent year today, second best performer on the Philadelphia Index this year. I'm going to ask you something generally about AI infrastructure. Are various technology companies writing checks that energy companies, the grid utilities can't cash in the future, like something has got to give here.
Speaker 8: Yes, absolutely, we have this crazy thing called the physical world, right that is running up against the virtual world. And I'm one of the people that really worry about this. I think AI is going to add productivity, but the open AI kind of model of we're going to have one big brain that you're going to tap into it worries me first of all, for just tally up the expenses. I'm someone that came out of tech because the companies, the AI companies I was working for, were not profitable because they didn't understand the problem. The cost of the problem had to be lower than the cost of this, or sorry, higher than the cost of the solution. And I don't really understand what lms are solving, Like you can't do a quick like back of the envelope calculation and go yeah, people are really going to benefit from these financially. So these are the things that I worry about, not just power but who's going to pay for all this infrastructure? Forty year notes for Oracle lovely that they think they're going to get paid back shorter timeline than that. But I don't understand the use case where businesses are going to pay like right, enormous sums of money.
Speaker 4: To ta Ki to cut to the chase. Do you think this is more you know, the idea of big bubble rather than big bets.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 8: I do, And it's a very very big bubble because they've solved a very big problem natural language processing. But people are conflating that it's more than that, that this is a thinking machine, and it is not. I think that this will be used. I think llms are very useful, but they are not the answer, the end all be all of.
Speaker 4: A So therefore exposure at the moment you talk about open ai, and there's a lot of private money going into open ai, but open AI's demand props up the future revenue streams of video maybe even Micron as well. How much can you keep buying in to these companies like Micron that is posting gross margin in excess of fifty percent in.
Speaker 2: The here and now, Well, here's here's my model.
Speaker 8: It's the third option that we're not talking about is that companies, and I'm not recommending them, I'm using them as an example. Pallenteer solves smaller problems with AI that still need the same sort of chips, the same sort of infrastructure, but not just not quite as much. Right, So they're solving problems, smaller problems at a smaller cost, and that I think is going to be the formula, and there will.
Speaker 2: Be many of these.
Speaker 8: But unlike open AI that seems to think that, you know, we're going to have servers from New York to San Francis, US go, you know, throughout the country, like all of the country is going to have those. It's hyperbole, of course, I don't think that, but you know, the scale is not the same as with a smaller AI sort of model.
Speaker 4: Kim Forrest and both Capital partners always love the straight talking. Thanks for joining. Jimmy Kimmel returned to the airwaves last night after Disney lifted its suspension following remarks made by the host about the assassination of Charlie Kirk. Here is what Kimmel had to say about the controversy.
Speaker 11: And the truth is, I don't think what I have to say is going to make much of a difference.
Speaker 2: If you like me, like me.
Speaker 11: If you don't, you don't. I have no illusions about changing anyone's mind, but I do want to make something clear because it's important to me as a human and that is you understand that it was never my intention to make light of the murder of a young man.
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Hannah Miller, who covers Hollywood and entertainment, joins us, now emotional at times but also fighting talks at others, particularly when targeted at Brendan Carr, the SEC, and the White House.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you listen to the rest of that monologue, you know, Jimmy goes hard after a Brendan Carr and really calls him out for stifling free speech. And you know, he makes very clear he's not sorry about what exactly he said. He's sorry if he caused offense over the death of Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 2: Hannah.
Speaker 3: The President reacted in a post on truth Social And we also had the reporting from Bloomberg about recent days Kimmel meeting himself directly with Disney executives.
Speaker 2: What's the reporting we need to know about on that Yeah.
Speaker 7: So even before Jimmy Kimmel went on air, you had President Trump posting on truth social you know, making these vague legal threats, you know, saying that he had previously gotten millions of dollars from ABC, referencing a past lawsuit that they had settled, and that you know, he might go after them again. So you again, we're seeing this contentious relationship between the Trump administration and media.
Speaker 4: And also the two major TV station known as Sinclair Nexstar that puts out the content to many many Americans are still having Jimmy kimb Alive on hold. So how does that impact Disney's business model here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so about twenty three percent of the country was not able to see this, you know, they were they saw other broadcasting, you know, news programming things like that. You know, we've seen a lot of talk about the business impact when it comes to subscription cancelations when you look at Disney Plus and Hulu. Jimmy Kimmel actually made a joke about that where he read instructions about how to you know, get your subscription back if you did cancel. So, you know, it's it's been very interesting to see the impact.
Speaker 3: On Disney Bloomberg's Hannemiller and the team at screen time around the clock reporting really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: I want to get right to Ali Barber's US listed shares or ADRs. We've just in the last couple of minutes come off a session high. We're up nine and a half percent, on track for the biggest jump in about a month. The shares trading at their highest levels since the middle of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: The story is really simple.
Speaker 3: Overnight, Ali Barber said it was going to commit to spending even more than the fifty billion dollars it had already committed for artificial intelligence, and that is something we see in China Caro, from Huawei through to ten Cent. But Ali barbera a key name and clearly it's driving markets. And the last thing I'd say is I saw a headline on the term of this morning that when those ADRs jumped in the pre market, the rest of the market went with it, and we saw futures gain as well.
Speaker 2: So we're paying attention.
Speaker 4: We are to thirty five billion dollars added in market cap and to a new large language model update too from Ali Barba let's get to it. Boomberg's Henry Wren, who covers equities in tech, joins us now. And it does seem to be the fact that Ali Barbera is all in, whether it's offering cloud, whether it's expanding its investment, whether it's thinking about its own chips too.
Speaker 12: Yes, it's about building an ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 12: So it's Alibaba's annual developers conference and lots of surprise. The biggest surprises you mentioned is about them raising the kapex guidance for AI capex.
Speaker 2: Over the next three years.
Speaker 12: We already knew from February that in the next three years they are going to commit over fifty billion US dollars of spending on AI infrastructure, but they said they will be spending more, but although that they didn't give specific numbers. But investors are already getting excited about their AI projects.
Speaker 2: So the shares rallied, of course.
Speaker 12: And on data center and cloud, the company said it has already been expanding overseas, it will continue to do so and over the next year it will be building data centers in countries like the Netherlands, France and Brazil.
Speaker 2: And that's another plus.
Speaker 12: And On the model side, the company released this new QN Max three model, which, according to the company is amound the top in the charts the benchmark as well. So all those are pluses and for Chinese investors that are enthusiastic about AI developments, the shares have reacted positively.
Speaker 3: Bloombergs Henry Rare and out of London, thank you very much. China's biggest tech firms are pouring unprecedented sums into artificial intelligence, matching the massive investments already underway.
Speaker 2: In the US.
Speaker 3: Global tech investment firm Process holds a significant stake in one of those giants. Ten Cent joining us now is CEO for Britzio Bluisi, who visits us in San Francisco. You know, Henry did a good job breaking down what Ali Barba had to say. You through your lens of ten Cent, understand what's happening in China. How do you interpret and react to what Ali Barba told us overnight?
Speaker 9: Hello Ed and Caroline, pleasure to be here. Thanks for receiving me. We are extremely excited about AI in China. I know there is so much geopolitical tention about who's going to in This is not like a simple win thing. This is going to change the world in the next ten twenty years substantially, and the giants of China are invested substantially against that. Aliba Bai is doing a great work, but also ten Cent is doing a great work. Deep Seat had a big impact in what everyone is doing here also in Europe and US, so we are bullshed. This is going to keep growing. I want to give you one extra data. China ten days ago released it is AI plus policy. Yes, where they say in three years seventy percent of the device are going to be AI enabled using open source AI. In ten years, the whole society is going to be disrupted by AI. So it's amazing how committed China is to AI. And I think it's our obligation in US to do that. It's our obligation as one of the biggest European companies to invest in Europe so it can keep the pace or do better.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: Overall, what these Chinese technology companies share is their commitment to spend.
Speaker 2: But they are very different.
Speaker 3: They have different proportions of the business on e commerce, pure cloud computing. How should we distinguish ten cents AI strategy from Ali Barba, what is the piece of ten cents AI plan that you have most burtish on?
Speaker 9: The tencent has wishats and we set pay and all the communications in China runs against through isshets, and the impacts of AI in communications in companionship is amazing and now in shopping through messaging. So we are very bullished that there is a lot of things to do through tencents, But I want to remind you all we are trying to replicate that in Europe, India and Latin America. That's what Process is doing today. I think China is playing very well. US is playing very well, but that is a big space for other big tech champions in Europe. Europe is more or less the size of the American economy, but has like ASML, Process, Spotify, Mistra, maybe three or four one hundred billion dollar companies. We believe there will be trillion dollar company in Europe. That's why we're investing in Europe tributy there the same thing in India. Were invested hard in India. We invested a lot in Latin America. And it's good to remind sometimes everyone, including my US friends, AI is going to be a global thing and we have many global rights tech champions around the world. That's what Process is doing.
Speaker 2: Fabricio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're trying to make Process that global tech champion. Can you describe the exact tactic of that at the moment, because it seems like you're all in on this idea of lifestyle e commerce system. More broadly, how do you become the bigger than the some of your parts?
Speaker 9: Definitely, we are very excited about what we are doing. Our first part of the strategy to invest in our three ecosistems Latin America, where we are doing very well through ifood and a whole ecosystem around the eyefoot for example, a despeg got acquisition we did for two billion dollars a few months ago. In India, we are making many investments that are growing faster through AI. For example, today we announced the investment in the biggest mobility player in India. And Europe, we are really investing to develop technology innovation.
Speaker 2: In Europe.
Speaker 9: We did the Just Takeaway acquisition there just form five months ago. It was approved by European Commission in five months, what is like a record time. We are very excited about that. That's what Europe needs to move faster, to take more riskily to create local champions. We expected to close this offering in one week next Wednesday, actually, and this is just the first step. We are going to keep investing harder in Europe. We are announcing we launching next week the AI House Amsterdam, where we have hundreds of people together IFEW universities and other companies developing local models in Amsterdam in the Netherlands because we need players investing really hard there. I'm quite confident with the level of scale that we have with thirch thousand people, the level of investment in these ruptive AI models will we will help Europe to position itself as a leader in this race.
Speaker 4: What about other areas of em and I then promo, because you're trying to make your portfolio ever more focused, why could you make additional add ons as interesting?
Speaker 9: As I said, we spent seven billion the last few months. We are going to keep spending hoping the next few days announce another big investment in France of a money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a few days.
Speaker 9: To keep investing a lot in Europe. My commitment was to invest up to fifteen billion dollars in Europe and we are moving invest on this direction. I'm a little frustrated. The European Commission also asted me to divest two billion dollars one billion dollars before I keep investing. I think this is the wrong mindset. Europe needs to invest ten. I can do it by myself fifty one hundred billion dollars, and that's what Europe needs.
Speaker 2: Fabricy, I want to.
Speaker 3: Hold you to account something because you said to our US audience, don't forget Europe. When I look at what you have done, there's been some selling down in Delivery Hero.
Speaker 2: Also some of the Chinese made one, for example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so net Net, you're going to continue adding proportionately to the European investment and taking potentially from proportionately.
Speaker 9: We're going to invest substantially modern Europe. We have up to fifteen billion dollars to invest in Europe. The Delivery Hero discussion about selling now was our agreement with the European Commission. They asked Cadaks to divest a and I disagree with think you European Commission. We did that during five months. We are moving fast. That's what Europe. Europe needs. But they also said please sell a little. That's the wrong strategy. We had to invest more fifteen billion dollars faster. That's what I'm going to keep talking in Brussels, and that's what I think European needs. Everyone was talking this week about the Mario drug Report. He said Europe needs to be more aggressive, needs to constoly date to local champions. One year after the report, just eleven percent of the report was implemented.
Speaker 2: That's not enough.
Speaker 9: But the Good News process is very committed to help collaborate, work together. We need bigger companies invest in more infest in Europe, specifically developing AI. So I'm quite excited. I know many times getting TV he says it's a bubble, it's not. I'm absolutely sure the impact in AI in the next ten years is going to completely change.
Speaker 2: Who are the winners.
Speaker 9: So if you're not moving fast and the impact in AI today in process is disruptive. We are moving faster, We have better service for our customers, we are more efficient. Obviously, there is lots of people investing in our lots, specifically here in US. Obviously, lots of the complex people are investing today. They are also going to fail. That's part of the process. We're not going to have only winners. We have winders and losers. We are working three times harder in Process to make sure that we are one of those windors, specifically in Europe and India and Latin America.
Speaker 4: Well, let us know which there's the French winner in the next few days. So Brisa Luisi, great to have you back, Process CEO. Now let's turn to the efforts to harness the power of AI. That's what Ruth poor At, Alphabet's president and CIO, has just been discussing with Bloomberg's franscin Laqua at the Bloomberg Global Forum a New York take listen.
Speaker 13: I think where we are with AI is it is both moving really fast and really slow. And what I mean by that is when you focus on the science, they breakthroughs in science or breathtaking pace which we're seeing advancement. And I think one of the best ways to think about that is actually with my colleague Demisisabas, who runs Google Deep Mind, and the work he did to develop something called alpha fold, which is the three D prediction of protein structures, which is viewed as the single greatest contribution to drug discovery.
Speaker 2: In our lifetime.
Speaker 13: And he went from working on that he's been in neuroscience and computer science, physics for his whole life. But four years ago started on this journey to take on what had been a fifty year grand challenge to predict protein structure of the protein structures for all known proteins. And in four years he went from an idea that people challenged, is it possible? And he said why not? To a solution which has now been open sourced. Three million scientists around the world are using it, one hundred and ninety countries and the Nobel Prize. That is the speed of change, and we're seeing that across Google dep mind. What is slow is actually the implement in both the public and the private sector. We're still very early days. The excitement about AI is across the board. The economic upside for trillion potential contribution to GDP by twenty thirty with proper application across the industry. In the public sector, what's called the fusion, it's the better delivery of healthcare, better delivery of education, and that is still very early days. AI is clearly a lot more than a chatbot. It's about a fundamental rethink of the processes that we have and I would say for each one of us as leaders. We need to start on that journey.
Speaker 3: That was Alphabet President and CIO Ruth Porat from the Bloomberg Philanthropies Global Forum earlier today. Okay, coming up, Steve Jang, founder of Kindred Ventures, joins us for a conversation about the opportunities all of these AI announcements create for the private investor, for the venture capitalist.
Speaker 2: That's coming up next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Companies are investing hundreds of billions of dollars in AI data centers.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about that.
Speaker 3: Announcements just keep coming from Ali Barber to Open Ai and and Video on Monday. I want to get the private market perspective on this. So Steve Jang, founder of Kindred Ventures and early AI investor, and here with us for VC Spotlight, and you're operating at a different level of the curve, right, I think that's one way of putting it. But I do want to get your reaction to that Open AI and Video deal because it's all of it that's happening in the market right now.
Speaker 2: Right, And thank you for having me. It's great to be back.
Speaker 14: It's both surprising in scale but not surprising that it's happening number one, I think we're undershooting or underestimating how much compute we need for not only training, but for inference. That growth, that growth and demand is scaling out in every direction right now. We're seeing that across early stage startups as well as growth stage startups.
Speaker 2: And public companies.
Speaker 14: So if you think about what's happening today globally, first off, every region is now in the AI competition, the model competition race number two. They're specialized models in video, in audio, in voices and speech models, physics models, medical science models. You look at what DeepMind is doing, you look at what small startups like Sofons are doing in medical sciences, and then you also see what's happening in particular with demand. And so we're just moving from an experimental phase into a commercial application phase. So everything that's happened up until today has just been in that experimental testing phase. And so if you think about TikTok and Instagram and YouTube on the consumer level, there's double digit adoption right now on creators and users. They're using AI tools. Then if you look at enterprises in small businesses that are already starting to use voice AI for call centers, they're using it to write reports, they're using it for search and answers. So we're just at the beginning, and I think every single I look back yesterday before we came on today, and I saw all the projections from a year ago, and we're already surpassing that by ten x today. The inference demand alone.
Speaker 4: Steve, the reason we come to you is because the prowess of the bets you've already met. And we think about perplexity, and we think about PLAYII. How do you ensure, Steve that you're not part of what some are starting to feel as like a house of cards of everyone giving money to the same sort of players. And ultimately, if the productivity doesn't achieve, if the money doesn't achieve, then suddenly we start to see some real holes.
Speaker 14: I think what's important here is that you do see the demand, and you do see the uptake. Commercially, you see revenues, you see adoption, you see usage. I'll give you an example of this. So today, in terms of generative media, generative video is relatively new, well, let's say it's about a year and a half old. Google byt Dance and many other small startups are providing these models. The compute just for that which is showing up on YouTube, which is showing up in video ads, is now showing up through Creatify on Comcast and Universal Channel. Video ads now is making real money. It's making real CPMs for real brands.
Speaker 2: And so as long as.
Speaker 14: There is economic productivity on the demand side, that's why you're seeing all this scaling of cost of investment in GPUs, data centers and energy, and you see these long term contracts. One hundred billion dollars was an amazing size for a Softbaing Vision fund five years ago, and today that's just one company making an investment for a round trip commercial.
Speaker 3: Steve, you're in the green room right when from riz Borisi was sat in that chair and he talks about the bubble in the context that like, well, that's normal part of the game, some failures, you'd need to find successes.
Speaker 2: Do you do you think about it in those terms, in.
Speaker 3: The context of there's such a capital concentration in these few names, there's.
Speaker 14: Always going to be an urbcharge between the current demand and economic productivity revenue, right and the investment capital and the timeline in between. Bubbles are necessary for a collection and hyper focus of talent engineering, talent, research, talent building talent as well as capital, and that's what creates that enormous growth and velocity in any.
Speaker 2: Sort of tech cycle. We saw this every tech cycle.
Speaker 14: This tech cycle is very different because there's real revenue and commercial application happening. So again look at GPUs as just one part of this. Energy is the other part. Data center space is the other. Then there's a software infrastructure layer there, so called middleware, which is a bad word in the last tech cycle, but is actually where value capture and differentiation happens now, and so this is really important. You see companies like together Ai, you see companies like foul and the generative media cloud space, these companies and core Weave a core Weave is a company that started out as bitcoin a data mining data center.
Speaker 4: Steve, can I go to that? Can I go to crypto because we're talking about a potential bubble and I know that you've got a lot of experience in crypto. I'm looking at Tether potentially looking at funding with evaluation of five hundred billion dollars. Is that a bubble sign to you or not?
Speaker 14: The sale coins right now and crypto, there's an interesting thing happening right now where fintech as we knew it, global payments, infrastructure companies like Stripe and many other companies fragmented around the world. In FX, it's getting slowly transformed by crypto, especially stable coins. We don't It is again very easy to underestimate this. I think it's harder to really look at the frontier edge and say how big could this be? But you see the US government and many other foreign governments. This is an area unlike AI where there isn't a concept of sovereign crypto. In AI, we have sovereign AI, and there's a competition in crypto. Interestingly, there's much more of a cross border collaboration that wants to be on blockchains.
Speaker 2: This is obviously very recent.
Speaker 14: In terms of government push with administration, but underlying that is still compute. Same data centers that are providing AI compute high performance compute are also supplying it for crypto.
Speaker 4: So fascinating. Steve Jang, managing partner and founder of Kind Adventures.
Speaker 1: Giving us the full picture.
Speaker 4: Social media app Instagram is proving more popular than Heffer, whiching three billion monthly users. This is parent company Meta looks to short form videos and private messaging to really drive the growth for more Blue mos kak Wagnan joins us, You've had a really interesting conversation with Anamisari. What did you detail about the forward path for Instagram?
Speaker 15: Yeah, the big thing for me that I took away is that they're leaning into these products that have not necessarily been historically how you think of Instagram be doing these glossy life moments, the traditional feed. They're leaning into dms, leaning into real stories, things like that. So Instagram has changed a lot since twenty ten and the three billion they're leaning into that change.
Speaker 3: I think part of the discussion was about testing and changes to the al rhythm.
Speaker 2: What are they doing.
Speaker 15: They're going to let people essentially pick the topics they want to see more of, so be more explicit in the things that they're hoping to see. You know, you can pick your favorite sports team, you can go very granular. And they say they're able to do this because of the advancements in AI. They're able to read videos with AI, determine exactly what's in them, and then feed that to you. Historically, ed, you know, it's been more implicit, like they will look at your behavior and try and guess what you like, they're going to run this test where people can be a lot more specific about what they want to see and hopefully change their algorithm to show that.
Speaker 4: And also interesting where they're testing that and which parts of the globe they really want to penetrate.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so the algorithm test is going to be in several different markets. They are doing a test in India specifically around reels, where they're going to open the app into reels, so instead of opening into that main feed, you're not going to get basically TikTok.
Speaker 2: When you open Instagram.
Speaker 15: And I was going to say, and there's a reason they're doing it in India because TikTok is banned in India, right, So this is a great opportunity for them to kind of take advantage of the fact that a core editor.
Speaker 2: Is not in that market.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's cut Wagner, it's a kind of must read a base on an interview. Massari, who heads up Instagram, really appreciate you joining the show on it. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Tech Character you do not want to forget to check out our podcast. There is so much debate out there around AI.
Speaker 2: Stick with us for it.
Speaker 4: You can find on the terminal, so it's online on Apple, Spotify and iHeart. What an incredible time to keep on telling these stories. This is Bloomberg Tech.