Speaker 1: To cook.
Speaker 2: That's old.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everybody, Welcome back. Game ninety seven is in the books, and unfortunately the Yankees win streak has been snapped. It was nice to have the pinstripes back. We had the great booth combo today of k khne and O'Neil, but unfortunately the Yankees came up a little bit short. They dropped this one two to one. And karat Cole I thought was extremely sharp today, just extremely sharp. But unfortunately he is one of the main storylines tonight because while he was fantastic, he throws six dominating innings, walks the leadoff guy in the seventh boone comes out to the mountain, says, hey, man, tell me the truth. How you feeling. He says, I'm good. I am good. I have got this. Trust me, homeboy, I have got this, and then immediately serves up a two run Homer.
Speaker 4: Ugh.
Speaker 3: There's this old Jerry Seinfeld joke where after something goes wrong, old people are just like, well, what are you gonna do? And honestly, that's what I was like tonight, what are you gonna do? Your ace looks unhittable for six innings, convinces the manager to leave him in and next pitch ends up in the stands, so Cole gets the loss. He is three to five with a three point nine to three ERA on the season. Max Munsey with the big two run shot. The other thing that drives me nuts in this game was Grisham trying to score on that double by Rice off the right field wall. Grisham is not a fast runner. He is not a fast man, and yet uh he tried to score on from first on a ball that he probably had no business scoring from first on. Let's be honest, so let's go ahead and get to the nitty gritty. Yankees missed an opportunity to gain on the Raids, who lost two games today. Pete Rfny says, no way Grisham should have been sent there that and he was just kind of cruising around the bases. I mean, we've seen him run harder than that, and it looked like he kind of hesitated a couple of times. But I mean, overall, though, it was still nice to have baseball back. I feel like the Yankees haven't played at home in a while because you had that long road trip before the All Star break and then obviously the break. But it was good to see the Pennies back. That's why I'm rocking the Pennies tonight. Both teams were quiet early, both pitchers were throwing just nasty stuff. Roki Sazaki, I have to say, was impressive tonight. I know that he has been a little bit up and down, but there's no question about his stuff. He is an unreal talent. But tonight it was really Garrett Cole. I thought pitch better, and between the two of them, I thought Cole up until the home run, was more dominating. But what are you gonna do? As they say, nice start to the second half by Ryan McMahon. He had an opposite field double. Austin Wells was rocking the goatee. Look tonight he has gone full Kevin Yuculus. You never go full Kevin Eucleus. He got robbed of a double in the fifth inning, but other than that, over two in the game for ninety nine ops now on the season, thirteen RBIs. That's just ridiculous for a guy who's played pretty much every day. But yeah, tough. Yankees did get on the board in the fourth inning, beautiful line drive single by Jason Dominguez, who hit the ball hard A couple of times. Tonight he ended up getting the third on the babble, and then he scored on a pass ball on a slider that should have been caught. And then in the ninth inning he hit one hard right the third basement from the right side, so I thought he looked good. One for four on the day. You know, Oh Tani, what can you say about the guy? He hit two balls to the warning track tonight, one to right field, one to left field. Now, I know he didn't end up with any knocks today, but this guy is just so impressive when you consider what he's also done as a pitcher. That he's eight and two with a one point seventy nine ERA, and he's also got twenty two homers and fifty eight RBIs. I saw someone say that he's been basically Ben Rice and Cam Schultzer at the same time, which is unreal when you think about it. But he hit two balls to the warning track tonight. Both of them came up short the gravity. Yankees diad have a couple of threats forth inning. He had a couple of guys on for Ben Rice. He banged into a double play six thing that had two more guys on for Dominguez, who they turned around to the right side. He struck out on a nasty curveball cawby arrow. I gotta say excellent defense tonight. Made a pair of defensive plays in the seventh. The first was a rangy grab. It was kind of bouncing up the middle. He went, he snagged it, and he made an athletic throw, an accurate throw to rob the massively overpaid Kyle Tucker, who, by the way, hitting two forty four with a one to two ops for his what's fifty million dollars or whatever it is insane insane. But the second was the over the shoulder touchdown catch and apparently the Yankees are not planning on picking up a shortstop of the deadline. It sounds like George Lombard Junior is making some progress in rehab. He is now. He went two for three tonight in their game back in Triple A with a home run. Hey, how about that? How about that? George Lombard goes deep and he had a couple of home runs in the loan when he was rehabbing, So that's good to see. Honestly, I think that Volpi is probably a goner at some point this season. If you look at it, ca ba Ro is definitely a better defensive player. We saw that tonight. To me, he's a better offensive weapon, even though he doesn't have as much power as Volpi. He's on base more. He's a spark plug, he's a base stealer, he's aggressive. Now he has the occasional mental error on the basis, but I think he can hold the fort until George Lombard comes up. And what I can imagine the Yankees doing is moving Volpi at the deadline just to clear a spot. And it won't be one of those situations where another team is begging for Volpi. It'll be one of those situations where Cashman's like, hey, I got to clear a spot from my top prospect. He's a fan you know, well, I wanta say fan favorite. He's a he was a fan favorite that didn't work out. He needs a change of scenery. Why don't you take him and we'll get a bag of peanuts for him, hash considerations or player to be named later or whatever. It'll be probably one of those weird trades where you don't get anything back, but I expect Volpy to be dealt probably by the deadline or he could end up back in the minor leagues. We'll see what that would be awkward to send him down and call up Lombard. Lombard would definitely feel a little bit of pressure if Volpi starts hitting, you don't want that. But anyway, I think Vobey's a goner. Yankees lost this one. Trent Grisham, you know, he had the big walk to bring Rice to the plate as the go ahead run. Rice demolishes a baseball. I'm going ape shit because I think it's going out of the ballpark. I'm watching the outfielders and they're both kind of like they're not looking at the ball. They're looking out towards the wall, which is usually what guys do when the ball is headed for the bullpen and they slow up or whatever. But the ball hits the fence. Grisham is cruising around second, cruising around third. He kind of looked like he hesitated a couple of times. Ended up getting thrown out at third base. All right, sorry at home plate. Yankees challenged and did not win the challenge. And look, that was the play of the game. If he if he stays on third, maybe the Yankees score huge play in the game. Yankees lose this one. Tough one, tough one. As we look at the top eggs of velocity, Sho hey O Tani one eight and Max Munsey one O seven point nine. Tamingez though one oh six point six on his double. He hit that ball hard. Rokie Suzaki threw the ball incredibly hard tonight. Bunch of pitches over one oh one topped out at one oh one point eight miles an hour. But Garrett Cole, I thought we saw some very impressive things from Garrett Cole today, some very positive things. I could say that this is probably the best mix of stuff that he's had since he's come back. The change up was very good tonight. The fastball was crisp, upper nineties. He was spotting it. He didn't have any walks until the seventh, one hundred and three pitches. He got away with a few hangers, didn't get away with the last one. Final line. Six innings, four hits, two runs, one walk, eight strikeouts. He gets the loss. He's got fifty five strikeouts on the season. He's averaging a strikeout per inning. He's also allowed nine home runs and twelve walks. Game score of sixty two in this one as we go to the game breakdown. So six hits for the Yankees tonight, three of them for extra bases. They had three walks, they struck out eight times, they left six men on base. They hit five grounders, seven line drives tonight, So that was good to see, even though a couple of them were outs. Just you know, at them balls. You know, five fly balls and six pop ups tonight. The hardest hit ball by Yankee was the Domingoes double, and Cole topped out at ninety eight point nine. So we zoom out and look at the series here. Tomorrow it will be Emmett she Hen versus Ryan Weathers. I think the Yankees can get to she Hen. We'll see how Weathers pitches. He's been a little bit up and down lately. And then great matchup on Sunday night. We'll have TK on after the game to break it down. Yoshinobu Yamamoto versus Cam Shltzer, that one will be fun. We take a look at the division. The Yankees did gain a half game today because the Rays lost both of their games to the Red Sox. Red Sox has now won eleven in a row. They are on fire and they have the Yankees to thank for some of that White Sox beat the Blue Jays, or they're beating blue Jays twelve to four in the bottom of the ninth and the Astros up on the Orioles two to one. All right, So let's talk about a story that I read today and a few people have asked me to comment on. I hate talking about finance stuff because to me, there's nothing more boring than finance. And sorry to all the folks who work in finance. I worked in finance for about a year. I had to wear a tie, I had to get up early. Was not for me. Every day. I wanted to hang myself with that tie. Eventually I went and worked elsewhere. But I'm a creative. I don't like numbers. I have to mention this. The Yankees are reportedly working on a massive financing deal with the Apollo Global Management Group that could be worth roughly three billion dollars. Now everybody hears that number and they start building like a fantasy lineup right. This is not a three billion dollar check for Brian Cashman to go sign baseball players. That's not what this is. This is mostly like a major corporate refinancing and expansion deal for the Yankees Global Enterprises, the larger company that is built around the Yankees, and from the article i read this just quote, a significant portion of the money would be used to restructure or replace existing debt. Apollo could also receive a small minority stake in the company, while Steinbrenner's family would make contain complete control over the Yankees. The remaining financial flexibility could then be used throughout the larger Yankees business empire, which includes interest in the YES Network, New York City FC, AC Milan, Legends, hospitality, and potentially other sports, media, hospitality and real estate investments. So in playing English, the Yankees are using their enormous value of their brand to kind of clean up their finances a little bit. My personal take on it. If this is good for the Yankees on the field, I'm all for it. I'm all in favor of it. I couldn't care less about the YES Network, about AC Milan, about any of that stuff. I want the Yankees to win more games, period. I'm not a fan of the guys in suits. I couldn't care less how many yachts or private planes they have. I'm a fan of the baseball team. The uniform, the pinstripes. If this gives the Yankees more flexibility, more roster flexibility, great. If it helps them develop players, keep players, take on contracts, get rid of contracts like Stanton, operate like the financial powerhouse they keep telling us they are, then I'm all for it. Do the deal, refinance the whole damn planet if you have to. But if this is just hal Steinbrenner and Randy Levine and the rest of the people in the boardroom finding a new way to make themselves even richer, then I really don't care. I'm not sitting here wondering, you know, whether halse Steinbrenner has improved his capital structure, right, I'm wondering if the Yankees are built to do enough damage in the postseason. That's the test for me. That's the only thing I care about. Does any of this actually help the baseball team. I don't want to hear about you going to Walmart or walth Walmart Wall Street and telling the world you're this massive global sports empire worth billions of dollars and then turn around and act like money's tight when there's a big free agent. So my take is, wake me up when it helps the Yankees. Okay, today's sponsor and then we'll talk about we'll take some voicemails here. So my home run pick tomorrow is Cody Bellinger. We could have used one from him tonight. I thought he was due tonight. Honestly, I thought he was gonna run into a hanging splitter from from Roki Sazaki. Maybe put one in the seats. Uh.
Speaker 2: I've never been so rug in my whole life.
Speaker 3: But he is my official pick tomorrow. He is my official home run pick. Reminder you could play the Daily Dangers game. It's free. Go to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast make your free pick on who is homering and the nostraderk pic tomorrow is Cody Bellinger. All right, so quick disclaimer and then some voice.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot Com. Gambling Problem Caller text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: Djpxis thoughts on Judge. Yes, I've got to mention Aaron Judge. They said that he is healing. I'll believe it. When I see it. Yeah, I just want to see the guy in the lineup. Okay, I don't care what exercises, I don't care about his incline, his bike riding. I don't do what you gotta do. Just show up in the lineup one day. We need you in the lineup. This offense without you is putrid. Putrid. You've got to call about Wellsie.
Speaker 2: Shake Derek and we are your favorite talk from the catskills. So we're in the third here, no score. So I see Austin Wells with the new look, the go tee. I'm like, all right, maybe do anything to get him going, he writes. The last couple of games before the break, he had a home run and a hit, same result. Unfortunately he just suck out. Oh my god, we gotta get a catcher before it's the deadline. Oh my god. All right, let's go Yankees.
Speaker 3: You know who he reminded me of. It I can't find a picture of him. There's this guy in rounders who's like after Matt Damon for money, and he's just guy like he's got this big old go tee. That's who he reminded me of. And that and Kevin Yuklez. We got another call about Austin Wells here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we need to go ahead and trade Austin Wells a sap. It's not even the fact that he just struck out embarrassingly to Rowe Piezosaki. It's just the fact that I can't stand to stare at that full go tee for even one more day. That thing looks absolutely horrendous. Like I don't know what he's thinking. He's not Mark McGuire, but again, I just I came and bothered to look at that goateee for another second. It's absolutely horrendous. We need to get rid of this guy. If it wasn't for the hitting, that facial hair is making me want to go back to the no facial hair policy days. Thanks for all you did, Derek, goodbye.
Speaker 3: Not a fan of the goateee. I suppose I could care less. I just want him to hit man.
Speaker 1: Here's Eddie, Yeah, Derek, it's Eddie again. Listen, Big History bopped here with the Yankees. Kasey Stengele, nine titles whatever. When he went out to the mound to change pictures, there was no talking. Okay, you were out all right, Casey ran the team. Casey when he wanted to do something, he just did it. Nobody thought he was nuts, but he who was crazy like a fox.
Speaker 3: I wish I could have seen some of those old characters. I never got to see Casey Stangle. Obviously long gone by my time, but still a lot of fans out there who remember those days. So we look at the box score. Yankees got six hits. They actually out hit the Dodgers six to five. Today. We had knocks from Bellinger, Dominguez, Chisholm McMahon, two from Ben Rice aside from Garrett Cole. Brent Hedrick threw the ball well cruise through some nasty splittys today and Blackburn continues to pitch well out of the pen and Max Munsey with the big swing of the bat. Yankees doubles tonight from McMahon, Dominguez and Rice, but the Yankees record falls to fifty four and forty three on the season. Here is Brian with some.
Speaker 4: Going on there as if Brian I just wanted to say, I know this game is still far from over. It's one nothing right now, but man, it is good to be back after an All Star break, looking like the boys are actually playing a good fundamental game. Cole's looking good. Sosak's also looked really good. But we're out there battling. Just wanted to say, man, it's nice to have some good quality baseball back and hopefully the worst of that streets behind us. All Right, buddy, let's go Yanks.
Speaker 3: Appreciate the optimism. Okay, So I want to do a little mock trade here. Let me know in the comments what you guys think. We're gonna start doing more mock trades here as we lead up to the deadline. So this is a proposal that I put together here to get Luis Arise. Now, this would not solve the jazz chism problem. You still need to find somewhere else to move him. But in my mock deal, I've got the Giants getting Ben Hess, Brendan Beck and Roderick Arius, Yankees getting Luis Ariaz, Carson Wisenhunt, who's a left handed pitcher who is two and zero the three point three eight and twenty five years old, and Daniel Sussak, who is a catcher twenty five years old, good defensive player, good framer. This is what I'm looking at, and you might have thrown some money here. Ben Hess obviously a first round draft pick. High upside pitcher Brendan Beck has been good in the minor leagues, did not impress during his brief start with the Yankees. But Roderick Arias twenty one years old switch hitter, has turned it on lately in the minor leagues. Let me go ahead and pull up Roderick Arius' numbers here, because I think this is interesting. This is a guy who was a top prospect at one point, he was a top international signee, and that might be making your question, Derek, why you want to deal him. Well, you've got Lombard. Okay, you have got Lombard, so you do not need this guy. Let me go ahead. He is hitting two sixty two, eleven home runs, fifty two RBIs a three forty six on base percentage seven to seventy seven OPS this season for Hudson Valley uh and against lefties two ninety eight with a eight thirty six OPS against righties two fifty five with a seven sixty six OPS. So he's a guy who has been effective from both sides of the plate. Apparently he's a very good defensive player. The strikeout numbers are a little bit high twenty nine point six percents a lot for high A. But you know he's still very young. Uh, so I think he's still a pretty good prospect. Take a look at Ben Hesse here, who is my other guy that I'm moving in my mock trade. And I don't do a lot of mock trades. But let me know in the comment comments what your mock trades are. Okay, so Ben has two to one with a four point eight four ERA, thirty five to third innings, forty one strikeouts, a one point five to eight whip so far in twelve starts. He is at double a ten point four strikeouts per nine so obviously, you know, get some swings and misses. We can take a look at Ariez, see how he's doing. He's obviously a multi time batting champion. Come on, here we go three twenty nine four home runs, thirty five RBIs eight twenty seven ops uh and has improved vastly on defense. I think he would be a good pick up. The Yankees just flat out need more hits. That's just a belief that I had. But anyway, let me know in the comments what you guys think of my mock trade. Let me know if you have any trades. We'll take a look at some of the best ones in the comments. Tough night for the Yanks they drop game one of the series. Win streak. Snap, I'll be back at you tomorrow after the game. Let's go Yanks. I'll see you next time. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it. We'll see you next time.