Speaker 1: Alright, We're good.
Speaker 2: You like.
Speaker 3: Busting with the boss, hanging with the fans, betting on a game no moment's gonna tell us.
Speaker 4: Would not be. We're here.
Speaker 3: Just drinking beer and making that baby. I'm hanging with the feelers, Busting with the boys, bro.
Speaker 2: Our boys.
Speaker 4: Welcome to another episode of Bust with the Boys, Episode three eleven. Quick note with got a little NFL and we just sprinkle a little bit of CFB before the Matthews interview. Great interview. These guys are incredible. You hear the family dynamic. It is true belly laughs coming your way. But all of college foot ball talk will take place in the locker room this week. Big hugs, tiny kisses, Please enjoy everything locker room drop serve.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. This is episode three eleven, brought to us by the Chevy Silverado. The playoffs are here and every game counts. The boys know when it counts. You can count on the Chevy Silverado, a dependable partner with strength, capability, and true grit. Whether you're looking for a spacious interior to comfortably get to the game, the functionality the multi flex tailgate to get the most out of tailgating or the technology to make driving, towing, and parking all easier. Chevy Silverado has got your back and now is the perfect time to get into a Silverado or Silverado HD, our favorite truck and the official truck of Busting with the Boys. Go to Chevy dot com to check out all the great offers and even build your own Silverado. Visit jdpower dot com slash Awards for more award details. Fellas, it's been a long week. It's been a long seven days. The last time a second bus Waldcar Weekends in the books, Walcar Weekend, College Football Playoffs, Surviving Barstool and also side note, I hope everybody out in LA that listen to our show. I know we got some California fans. I hope everybody's doing well safe. Like those fires just seem I mean, it's brutal. What's going on out there.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. What's going on. It's crazy. Also seeing videos of people adding to the fire in certain parts on Twitter, which is just nuts, man.
Speaker 2: People adding to the fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's videos of people actually going around. I think there's one specific one of people opening their trunk in the middle of the highway, pulling out cans of gasoline and throwing it into the bush. So David Spade came out, had a selfie video saying, the police found a guy, let him go, who's starting fires? And he's like, if you find anybody in the police, arrest them. I'll give you five thousand dollars. So David Spate said, So, it's like a something going on out there.
Speaker 2: My god, something going on in.
Speaker 4: The City of Angels right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope everybody's keeping their head.
Speaker 4: Hope everyone's safe. Hope everyone's if we had a this weekend, I was in Vegas and my neighbor was running from the fires. I don't know if you guys heard of him. Adam Sandler heard of him. He was out there, yea, you meet him? Yeah? I ended up meeting him.
Speaker 2: How to go, just on.
Speaker 4: The elevator walking in.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you got out of there?
Speaker 2: He was, dude, that was it.
Speaker 4: He was running from fires. He was with his wife and his two kids. They were waiting. They didn't seem like they want to be bothered.
Speaker 2: But you didn't ask if you wanted to be on busting with the boys.
Speaker 4: Not yet, ye And I thought about I thought about him with the oh you did something with Travis. I know Travis, we have a show called I thought about doing the whole thing. I had a whole speech in my head. Obviously, I was texting you about it. I haven't thought about writing that note. But then things got out of him. But uh yeah. I saw him at the elevator multiple times, walk behind him. Actually, the first time I saw him, I was walking behind him in the hallway, him and his daughter, and I was kind of like five paces behind him, but they didn't know I was there. So I let like a out so they knew. Scared the shit out of his daughter, and it was just like right in there. I was like, oh, I got to get out of here, narrow hallway. Had to booge you way too big. You're way too big, way too big. Yeah, command just like walk like hunched over walking towards her. It was too much. It was too much.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Taylor was telling me how he was in like the room next to him. I was like, you should slip a note like under his door.
Speaker 4: I was like, bro, I'm gonna do it for sure, Gonna do that for sure. And then I was in the fight of my life for forty eight hours straight. I kind of I kind of forgot about it a little bit. But guy is dressed exactly like you see him all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah he is.
Speaker 4: You see, I saw him three times. His outfit never changed, Like he is a homie, you can just tell. And the boys at Red Rock were telling me, They're like, uh yeah. The only thing I was like, is he like a high maintenance cauves. Again, He's like, no, he's a high minutes at all. The only thing he wanted was a lifetime fitness passed for a day to he'll play pick up basketball.
Speaker 2: So they thought it just all time, you know, sanely to the way he dresses like he's peak, his laundry pop by his bed and he just gets up the morning question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's the guy that like puts his clothes down and then like puts his feet right in. As he's getting off the bed, he just pulls the same shorts up. But yeah, dude, highlight, highlight. It was awesome. It was a good little deal. But yeah, shouts to people fighting the fires. That's tough, man.
Speaker 2: Where should we start first? Should we go NFL recap? Should we go college football? Should we go.
Speaker 4: So let's go NFL. It's the most recent thing in my brain right now.
Speaker 2: The Pats like that, are we talking playing let's go there?
Speaker 4: Because that is exact I mean, that's exactly what should have happened. Yeah, exactly what should have happened. And you know, every Titans fan, obviously being in Nashville, every Titans fan, Amy Adams, Trunk, everybody who is associated with the Titans right now punching the air. They're fucking pissed off at themselves because they messed up bad love Callahan. His story is still unwritten. We don't know the whole entire thing. How that that final you know, period happens. However, a guy like Rabel, it's exactly what the Pats need. Yeah, it's exactly what the path.
Speaker 2: To exactly for Rabel, Like, that's just the perfect storm. You're going back to a spot to where you had a fourteen year career. Obviously you played for a good amount in New England. You got what three Super Bowls, Patriots Hall of Fame, Yeah, Patriots Hall of Fame. You've caught touchdown passes, like, you know the culture, you know the leadership there. You're going into an environment You're going into a situation that's honestly perfect for him. You've got a good young quarterback in Drake May. You got a lot of uh, you got a lot of cap space. You know. The first move too, you got to get John Striker away from the Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: I already texted Stretch. I say, congrats and your moved to New England. Yeah, he knows what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, you know you're getting ready for the Viking.
Speaker 4: But you're right and but yeah, as always, this is Monday as you're watching the show where it's Tuesday. Was Thursday Friday. The Vikings and the Rams have not played yet. We should actually go over that game because I think you took the Vikings in locker room, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we don't know. By the time this comes out of the game, I know.
Speaker 4: I'd like to publicly change my opinion, though. I think the Rams are gonna win that game. I think the Rams I'm taking. I'm taking a veteran coach that's had many times in the playoffs. I'm taking him and a playoff stafford. Yeah, and the playoff stafford.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 2: Well, he shows up. I know that his last three times getting on the grass. He's averaged like one hundred and fifty yards and throwing for only one or two touchdowns total to last three games.
Speaker 4: Put the script this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you know if the Rams win, he's going back. You get to see Detroit's Stafford golf. You can see that whole thing. That would beat to see that.
Speaker 4: God. People saying fuck you. I I can't believe the line sans did that just tell them go fuck himself chanting fuck Stafford. Yeah, that is just crazy to me. But I love it. I absolutely love it. But yeh, did Raves be on the Pats? Unbelievable. With good news always comes a little bit of bad news. It seems like Steelers Twitter is over the Mike Tomlin experience, which is coming just strictly from my perspective. If you're a team like the Steelers who has had multiple Super Bowls, you're a storied, historied franchise, and you have a coach that gets you in the playoffs, you have to hear whether you go far, whether you don't go you kind of just like go that first game and come out. It's kind of like Tyreek Hill saying, this is my first time I haven't made the playoffs, I'm out of here. Like you you just sometimes as a fan you get so conditioned and callous to the success you've had that's no longer good enough. Let me tell you, as a person who played for a franchise that was not always a guarantee to make the playoffs all the time. Stay as long as you can understand that this man is the man for the job. Also us in the playoffs every single year. If you are picking in that eighteen to twenty four range every single year, like it's gonna be tough to get your quarterback, it's gonna get tough to get those premier blue chip players because a lot of people think like just because you're picked in the first round means like that doesn't mean it means you're like a premium guy. When reality, it's like, how good is the draft? Who's going before? What are your needs? Your necessities? When you're picking up in those late teens, early twenties, it's fucking hard to keep keep establishing you know a lot of talent on your team while everybody doesn't catch up. So I'm personally a fan of tomans Dain if he is fired, so many needs to throw the bag at him immediately.
Speaker 2: But it should be a thing too, Like if you look at the last what is eight years, he's been one and done in the playoffs, doesn't just pick just I guess picking coach like verybel Let's just say he's on the Titans. Say use the first eight years little bit we were one and done every year. Fans would be pretty upset about it. Well, Like and again, Tomlin is a big culture guy, one of the best culture guys in the business. He's had his his histories with like the A B's.
Speaker 5: Of the world.
Speaker 2: You've had, You've had to You've had to balance a lot of different personalities in that locker room. And too, it's such like over time, even though he's a really good culture guy, it's the same kind of culture stuff over and over. Like that could kind of slow down at some point.
Speaker 4: You want to do it, you want it fresh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do have like the lowest paid offense in the league. They got all their money tied up defensively. If you're looking at from a zoomed out views, is like, do you kind of blow up a little bit on defense and try and get some cap space and restructure a little bit, move some pieces around. Because as good as Cam Hayward is, he's been there forever. He's getting longer in the two thirteen years now. TJ Widde is obviously a stud of defensive any type of guy. Yeah, he's not going anywhere. But you got to almost look at all of these different options to kind of blow it up a little bit. If you're gonna stick with Tomlin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and going off of you know, the example you just gave of you if Mike Rabel is at the Titans for eight years.
Speaker 2: Imagine any coach who gets their job in their first eight years. First year they go to the playoffs. Everybody's riding high. But every year they get to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: In this but that's not the example we're talking about.
Speaker 2: They got the ten wins and then lost the final four or five games.
Speaker 4: I understand, However, you're talking about a sample size of eight years from Tomlin. He's been there forever. He won a Super Bowl in two thousand and eight with the Steelers, like he's had more of it. I'm just saying, if you look at he said, hey, I'm gonna give you a head coach, you' gonna make the playoffs every single year, but you're gonna be out of the playoffs after the first round every single year for eight years. You probably say, no, I'm not going to sign up for that. But if you had a little more context to you know, Le'Veon bell Ab kind of you're saying the Pouncy Brothers, all these and the poundcer Bulls. You say pouncy because they're such a prolific group of individuals, when really only one pouncy brother played there. Marky's pouncy is one of the greatest leaders from my understanding that anyone's ever seen, Like he is one of those guys that are just all fucking time, like a true locker room guy, keeps everybody in check, but like still very unique, loud, boisterous like individual we're free hernandez hats when all that stuff was going on, like they are in the public, and we'll do some controversial things if you're able to navigate that. Many personalities have sustainable success and being somewhere for so long. For me, it's very difficult to say, okay, go ahead and walk away from that because the grass is not always greener on the other side. You don't know how good you're gonna have it. I feel like the Titans are feeling that a little bit right now. Like I said, that story is still unwritten. But you just once you start getting away from stuff. And then also you look at the Patriots. We're very excited for Rabel, but if Rabel doesn't have success, you're not looking at like, hey, maybe we should have stayed with Belichick. Let him stay for as long as you want it. So it's it's it's scarier to get away from Tomlin. It's safer to stay because from the outside our perspective looking in on the Steelers. That's just my take on it.
Speaker 6: I think that George Pickens, as I was thinking about it more as crazy as his press conference sounded, that answer is almost I feel like Steeler's nation of like, how do you feel like the year went? We progressed, it was good, I got better. Are you optimistic?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I had a decent year, And I feel like that's how the fans kind of feel. Yeah, does George Pickens know what optimistic means? That was the question on the internet.
Speaker 4: Is funny. He has got to be probably the number one character in the league right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's my favorite player.
Speaker 4: He's a fair player. He really is. But he just you'll just see a play going on and they will be in the corner of the screen of throwing somebody to the ground.
Speaker 2: Watching a game.
Speaker 4: Street rat type ship.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have to get on the ball pretty sooner. He's just gonna start giving up on routes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, dude.
Speaker 2: And if you keep everybody together, you almost gotta you gotta go try and find another quarterback.
Speaker 4: Run, you gotta find a quarterback. You got Fields, Yeah, no, you gotta go get a quarterback.
Speaker 2: But if you're wanting to be this team that gets over the hump of winning one playoff game over winning a playoff game, quarterbacks, Yeah, but Fields could do it.
Speaker 4: That's what That's what Will is essentially saying, is like, yeah, you had a ten one season. That's great you look at it on paper, but then you put since twenty sixteen, you have them limping into the playoffs. So Wilson starts off strong and then all of a sudden putters out. You know, it hurts.
Speaker 2: When Russ came in, he was making that decision correct for several games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a public apology in the locker room from me because I thought Russell was terrible, and I thought he was done and he was playing a lot better. Turns out I was right. It turns out I was right all along. You Arthur Smith.
Speaker 7: Low key though Key should go to the past. He's not.
Speaker 6: He's not on a very good run. The offense was not good with the Falcons. That wasn't good at the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Had success with Rabel Tannehill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder who Rabe's gonna bring in his OC. Maybe Josh McDaniels, that's what I saw. You see that report. I think that's a no no. You stay away from that for sure, Arthur Smith, because you know Rabe usually brings in like guys, he's super close.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing that I don't like that coaches do hiring their friends. I do not like that. I think it is a It is a miss and it gets people. Yeah, it gets people fired. It gets guys fired. Whether the GM you hire the head coach as your friend or you're a head coach hiring your staff. It's like, just pick the best guy for the job. Pick the best guy for the job who has the same core values as you do. When you're establishing a culture of a football team, move on after that.
Speaker 1: Be okay.
Speaker 4: It's okay to say to your buddy. Listen, Garrett, I love you to death. You're not gonna be my OC. I'm sorry. I know you think you're you should.
Speaker 2: Be able to Todd Downy, Todd.
Speaker 4: Downing, and and the thing is is, yeah, you bring up Todd. It sucks sitting here being like publicly like, yeah, that wasn't the move. It wasn't a move. I love Todd. I thought he was a great guy in the locker room, great guy to hang out with, like him as an individual. Was not the move at the OC. It just is what it is. Does Braves have any overlap with Bobby Slowick in Houston where he could snag him over, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because slow it came from the Niners with with Raheem.
Speaker 4: Or the Patriots Tree Patriots Tree is.
Speaker 2: Morrison.
Speaker 4: I mean, all right, you brought up Picking having his postgame presser about not being optimistic. You see a J. Brown reading no post game he had one catch, he had one catch. After the game, he was livid they win a playoff game. He was livid. I'm not talking.
Speaker 2: I saw him reading, but then I saw him talking about reading, and like.
Speaker 4: Right, you haven't tweeted about it. He's he basically the beat reporters. The reporters came up after the game and he's like, I'm not talking today. I got nothing to say, and then like got his staying smile on his face. But you know, Aj, it was like an AJ like I'm smiling at you, but really have a few me inside. I'm just trying to get away from this so I don't blow up type of situation.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw when I saw the book. When I saw the book stuff, I was laughing out loud.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the book thing is funny. But he has had the book open in the middle though, which is nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's trying to get his head right, like he did only have one catch. Maybe he's like, let me just and they were let me read my favorite Yeah, let me read my favorite paragraph so I can calm the fuck down.
Speaker 4: There were multiple like omaha routes, quick out routes on several plays where it went to DeVante Smith and he was it was like, you know, a contested catch that Smith would come down with, but Aj'd be over there and he'd have like five six yards of cushion where there'd be some yak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw a couple where he's got these hitch routes. He's getting some separation at the top of the route. You see a couple times where they're going to Davante when aj just on his you know, special move slant route where he'll just take it to the house and if you throw it to him and.
Speaker 4: Stick it on the Eagles to the selflessness of Saquon Barkley at the end of the game, games already essentially in hand, there's a minute six left, like you score, it really doesn't matter. And he had so much open field to run, so much open field to get like legit, forty more yards and still could have slipped, Yeah, but decided to just slide it down and the game. Save the legs. Get a big one coming up next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who do they? Obviously depends on tonight with the Vikings and the Rams, But as of right now, who are they looking to play? Like, say, the Vikings wins in there the food so it would be it would be the Vikings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, seven's Washington.
Speaker 2: Would player got you Washington? No matter what, is going to Detroy because they were there their seven seeds. We're gonna take a quick break and shout out game Time. The playoffs are here and there's no better time to get out of some games with the help of game Time, the official ticketing partner of Barstool Sports. Yes, you guys have probably seen our commercial out there. Yeah, I know. People send me photos and screenshots every now and then of that game.
Speaker 4: By the way, you look so handsome in that commercial.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing about you are beautiful. You know how much we love game Time, and now with their brand new game Time Picks feature, they're making it even easier to get to a game. Game Time Picks filters out the fluff to show you only incredible deals on great seats, so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets. The NFL playoffs are in full swing and we've got some great matchups for France to go see live and in person. If you're out there, if you're in Detroit, if you're in Kansas City, listen up, go to that playoff game. Go to game Time Picks. They have an amazing game Time Pick steal for great seats only on game Time. Just pull up your chosen event and turn on the GT pick setting at the top of the screen or brows the best local game time pick steals and near you on your game time at home page. What are you waiting for? Even if you want to go to the college football playoff the national Championship. If you're in Atlanta, game time Picks local buy those college football Championship tickets right now available with game time Picks. What time is that game time? Back to the episode Bill's Ravens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bill's Ravens is gonna be a game.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be awesome MVP battle. Yeah, so the whole staff Detroit couldn't happen unless it was the championship game? Got you follow?
Speaker 4: Man? That game is going to be the game to watch? Which game Ravens Bills?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, man, that game is gonna be so cooking They're cooking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do we go?
Speaker 2: Do we talk about the I mean, the only fun game to watch this weekend was The Commander's Buck.
Speaker 4: I want to get your opinion that, being a former commander, former redskin.
Speaker 2: I'm fired up for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm fired up for him. You think the road, do you think that they can make a little run here?
Speaker 2: I mean, objectively I feel like or subjectively I feel like it's the end of the road, like you're going to Detroit.
Speaker 4: Detroit is a monster, man powerhouse.
Speaker 2: Detroit is a monster. But if you're the Commanders, like you're in the tournament, who fucking knows. Jane Daniels been playing his ass on so JP. This dude and a rookie Like, you're right, this dude operates at a such a high level. It's so fun to watch. And I know this city is just so fired up right now. Dude, you have a lot to look forward to in the future, whether or not this is at the end of the road this week, because I did, I thought the Bucks would probably beat them. But yeah, fired up for the Commanders.
Speaker 4: You and watching him run around like he's he is such an awareness of the defenders around him that he reminds you a lot of Lamar Jackson when he's scrambling. Yeah, and he gets those three four yards and then just hits the ground real quick, pops back up like he's got a poised confidence about him. Because you see these running quarterbacks, the Redskins in recent history. You have these like really like insane, major highlight running quarterbacks, and then injuries start happening. It becomes a massive issue. With this kid. He's got that Lamar Jackson feel where it's like, yeah, he can run, he can throw it too, and he seems like a guy that knows how to stay healthy. No said to keep the legs right, knows that to getting those weird entanglements where his bodies and you know, doing a whole bunch of oregony type Yeah, popped on the sideline.
Speaker 2: Yay, Yeah that was nuts.
Speaker 4: And if you're the offensive lineman, I tweeted this out like that hits not bad, Like that's just a good old fashioned highlight NFL hit, Like you're gonna put that in the promo next year going into Week one. But as an offensive lignement of the commanders, you've got to start belly bumping or chest but yeah, you start barking a little bit, get up your boy's face, start going little know, a little bit, huh.
Speaker 2: In that third and short where ninety four had him in the backfield and he just hits with it. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, hits with that stif arm and gets the first down towl.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the whole time chasing him downstairs like bro drop it, the.
Speaker 4: Bro drop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, did anybody know what happened to Levante at the end of the game. I saw he got rolled up on I don't I don't think I saw any reports on it yet. You know what, I'm sitting there. It's like I'm Public Commanders, That's who I played for. But I'm thinking, like Levante, I know, I don't know how much longer he's gonna play, Like this could have been his life. That could have been his last game. Yesterday could have been his last game if he if he retireded you cry, do what ran?
Speaker 4: Which? Dude?
Speaker 2: Bro, I'm sitting there. I'm sitting there and I'm telling charl I'm like, sweetheart, Like this dude was drafting the league a year before me. He started and played like a pro bo esque level every year of his career. Like this dude's thirty five years old.
Speaker 1: I think they said he's like thirty four to thirty five.
Speaker 2: It's nuts, man, and he's had such an incredible career. And to be at one place the entire time when they were drafting a guy, they talk about the core values, they put it together. Who's the player that it embodies. It's Levante, David. He said, such a run many, which is funny. I actually just put.
Speaker 7: That together, but I was on Twitter.
Speaker 2: People forget Yeah, bro I broke my foot. I broke my foot on a Oh.
Speaker 1: That was you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I broke my fan.
Speaker 4: I love how you guys are coming to it. I'm still like two steps behind on that, like, oh shit, who got hurt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I broke my foot on a Thursday or Friday walked through before the season opener, and it was a walk through like we had our helmets. Are like a jog through, like an up tempo, YadA YadA. I break on this stick route in my foot, I feel like just blows up, like somebody takes a shotgun to it, and I go down. And Levante starts that weekend, has like thirteen tackles, murder somebody over the middle of the field, and I come back like six or seven eight. However, long later, it was like for Texas and job was nowhere to be job was nowhere to be talked about it at that point anymore, you kind of knew the writing on the wall. But yeah, Levante just comes on the scene because he came from Juco that year. He was a Juco kid out of one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what did he start off as a safety.
Speaker 2: Uh, he was like a tweiner, Like he's like a dime cat playing dime and he came in and the and the depth chart went like myself, Sean Fisher, Sean Fisher breaks his leg in training camp, and uh, yeah, Blake Lawrence, Sean Fisher breaks his leg in training camp. I break my foot. Levante is on the second field, operating with the threes throughout training camp and then has to get thrust it into being a starter and then the rest is history. He's going off that entire year. He's he's top five old time tackle leaders the in Nebraska history in two years, playing two years.
Speaker 4: Twenty seven tackles against Michigan.
Speaker 2: He might seem obvious.
Speaker 7: Without will Compton, there is no Levonte will Compton.
Speaker 2: There is no Levonte David once a.
Speaker 4: Uh, it all shout out to shut somehow.
Speaker 2: I thought you were like Charling.
Speaker 7: Said, I wasn't.
Speaker 6: I was literally scrolling on Twitter to find out the injury, and somebody tweeted out man for any like low rank recruit out there. Remember, nobody even knew Levonte David. It took an injury for him to get in at Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a it's a such an awesome story like his. He's such a good dude. He's such a good soul. He's kind of like an ed reed do wor. He's just all football. He's undersized, know how to slip every knows how to slip every block. He's played in the middle of the defense his entire career, not as like a safety or anything else, but as an undersized backer and has all the same, arguably better stats than like the Bobby Wagner's, the Luke Keekleys, because that was the same type of class, Like that was the same type of generation.
Speaker 4: Talk about Bobby Wagner the first two series of that game against Washington, I'm sorry against the Bucks. A menace, Yeah, a menace. You see that when he blits up the middle and hit that running back so hard he actually just missed Baker Mayfield. Yeah, like that's fucking nuts.
Speaker 2: Bobby Wagon too. You watch him, like when you're watching him out on the field, like you're like, that's a fucking middle line, Like that's a grown ass man.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Talk about like arms, his hands are like down to his past. His arms are just looked oil and oiled and glossy.
Speaker 7: Baker put that head down on him though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he did give him a little shoulders that. Yeah, that dude, he he's got that look of a linebacker and the cat too with them traps.
Speaker 2: Yeah he got that.
Speaker 4: He's got that traps that Mike Tyson no neck vibe, dude, head sits a little low, yeah, in a little bit, sits there in the off season, just bangs into a wall. So he shrinks into the brades just to touch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Two, it's like, uh, bucks had their chances when Baker fumbles that ball late in the game, Bobby Wager picks it up and they're right there in scoring position, and then when they have that seems like a complex you can you can, uh you can talk about this tailor. But there was a moment to where it was like third and inches and they're doing a hard count and then he's like let it roll, let it roller. He just says we're good, We're good, and then turbo. But it seemed like a dummy turbo because he goes but in the center, the young center snaps it on the loud one. But it seemed like it was a dummy turbo because nobody else went but everybody just killed him. They tackled Bucky Irving, which Bucky Irvy almost breaks every tackle in the backfield to get the first down. But that was like a third inches that they needed. They had to settle for a field goal instead of like going in for a touchdown. But it seemed like that was a very complicated hard count turbo dummy, turbo, stick with the you know, stick with the run whatever play. Like they had a double call going yeah.
Speaker 4: Game, it's like a late is late in the game, fourth quarter. Yeah, I mean they're every every offense has a play call, whether it's freeze, frost frosty like something like that. Like there's always some sort of code word where it's like we're gonna lamp in a formation, then all of a sudden, we're gonna do a full cadence. Then the tight end's gonna come off, he's gonna go into a motion. We're gonna get a couple more huts, then the guy's gonna back off, get into the f and like they're in an I formation and then you know, hut hut hut hut. Uh. If you're doing that many cadences and you have a young center, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I personally see it seems like like again, you know, it's like they had a double call. We're gonna do a hard count. Then I'm gonna let you know if the play still on or we're gonna check it or alert it or do something else. Then you gotta remember that you're on a dummy Turbo. But Turbo. You're listening to Turbo all year long, like as an offensive lineman. Yeah, you're just so used to such second nature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Turbo unless it's called in the huddle like a Turbo two, which would be in the second hud of after turbo. If you hear turbo is essentially the number one, right, like your ears perk up, knowing, okay, the snap is the next sound is going to be the snap. It's like it's it's making it for me personally if I like, if I'm going to a third and one situation. And this is also a lot of it's predicated on the defense and how they if they like to shift if it what would Abell call it when you guys would all start a little bit wider and then you shift down something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was something like that, But that.
Speaker 4: Was that was like a twenty twelve film from the Patriots field goal Field. I think it was against the Bucks too. I think it was against the Bucks, but just depending on what people do one third and one, and if it's a team that usually stays stationary and you know they're gonna bring like an Ammo blitz or two up the middle or something like that, I personally like a like a it's called a fast break. You get out of the huddle, you get set first noise you hear, you're going the first noise. The ball is getting snapped because you're catching the defense off guard.
Speaker 2: It's either you want.
Speaker 4: To go real late or real early. And those key like gotta have it like short yard of situations that way, it's like you're just trying to find whatever you can't get up her hand because it's grown man fucking football at that point. Yeah, And to be honest with you, boys, a lot of times I wasn't the growness of the men when I was going against the boy in front of me. So I want a little bit of I give me a little whatever little advantage I can take. Give me a snap count that can help the boy out a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously that's a snap but they get an off size penalty, it's gonna be a first down. That was when they were down like twenty twenty to seventeen. They ultimately had to settle for a field goal and make it twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: And banking in the field goal anyways to win is crazy.
Speaker 2: Nuts bro a doink win. Because when it started going over, I was like, oh my god, I.
Speaker 7: Thought he was gonna miss because he kept doing this with his hair.
Speaker 1: I say, he's missing like bad.
Speaker 8: And there's like his takes and so like he's like doing that because he's like gotta get set and get ready and.
Speaker 1: There's another.
Speaker 8: Year and also cleats, he's retying his cleats like over and over. So I guess he has these OCD tickes. And so imagine being a kicker with OCD and in the game winning field goal.
Speaker 4: And you're just like fuck fuck like one two three, yeah, especially because there are situations where like, what was it hurricane, Like there's a there's this hurricane field goal. It's like eighteen seconds on the clock, third down, no timeouts, you're in field goal range. You've got to go kicker right away. And there's this whole program of how to get guys off the field, how to get guys on the field, and I get the kickers as fast as possible. If you're an OCD guy, that you have to do four hand you two shoot, Like, yeah, you gotta go balld.
Speaker 2: Dude. If I'm a kicker, I almost want more of the hurricane, Like you're rushing to get on the Yeah, you don't think about you you gotta think about it. Like, but when the offense is trying to methodically put it on the spot you're at and it's kind of like that thirty forty year field goal, I'm probably thinking to myself, these boys think this is just a gimme. I'm over here nervous this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, that shit when in Texas versus Asu, when Start walked up to his boy the kicker and like get him love. If I'm a kicker in that situation, it's like, leave me the fuck alone. Yeah, like pretend like I just don't even exist on this world for a little bit and all that remember, like not remember like freezing kickers like that would be the fucking worst. Yeah. Calling a time out at the end of the game and it goes right up the middle two and you're just like, oh my fucking god, dude, if I could just get that one again, kickers Man snipers more time to think about it. Shadow, Ryan suck up, Dude did a great for him. Shout out, Ryan suck Up. Just a dog out there.
Speaker 2: How about the fucking Texans?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean dog.
Speaker 2: Dog walking the Chargers. Chargers beat their ass for a quarter and a half, and we're sitting there and it's six to nothing. It's like this game should be some one of those feelings, like as a player, it should be fourteen or nothing right now. Like if you're the Charger, you're like, hey, fellas, like we got to get seven or because they're still in And then if you're the Texans, you're getting destroyed. The ball's not bouncing your way either, Like they had a I forget what it was, but it just didn't go their way. But you're sitting there, it's like, hey, fel's like it's only six to nothing. Like as bad as we've played, like we're still in this game, it's sure enough. Thirty two unanswered points later, the Texas defense was eating.
Speaker 4: Broke, eating Will Anderson, going off.
Speaker 2: Daniel Hunter, Autrey, Will, Will and.
Speaker 4: Audrey had a couple plays in a row Brother where it's like, holy shit.
Speaker 2: Alsha, here was tattooing folks. Then you got Stingley that's making plays. I don't know why they're tried. They were trying Stingley all game.
Speaker 4: Yeah that game that hey, Herbert, I know that game reminded me a lot of Packers Eagles where it's like Houston was taking advantage of the Chargers bad football, and Eagles were taking advantage of the Packers bad football. The Houston, Houston took more advantage than the Eagles did. But it's like, yeah, Herbert had a bad day. He had a rough day. It seemed like the play calling was a little all over the place. It just seemed like they couldn't get settled and like grounded in the moment of you know where they need to be, which is weird because you think Harball culture guy, he's gonna have his guys ready to go. But then there's the old Herbert. He loves a choking the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Dirty bubble got hard. They know he's a SpongeBob fan. Yeah, and they had his quote, you're on the sideline. You can't call murmury man barnacle boy. He's he was captured he was.
Speaker 2: Got Were you watching that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Were you watching that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: What am I saying? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Were you watching the broadcast in Nickelodeon. Yeah, they had SpongeBob up there like commentating with Pat pf Man Yeah, pf Manatee and Big Catfish. Then you had like Lebron and Kevin Hart. I forget what their their fish for Lebron, Yeah, Lebron, James Dog. It was.
Speaker 4: I feel bad for the Chargers, but the Texans man, I've been good for them.
Speaker 2: Do they make it? Do they make it interesting? In Kansas City? They're dangerous, they could, They're dangerous.
Speaker 4: Hard to be hard to beat a team twice. It is hard to beat a team twice. She's got to get to Pat when they got the tools to get there, they got to Chargers.
Speaker 2: So the playoff. Willie Parlay was dead in the first game, just the first gone, Hey, you're forty something thousand people riding. Your response to that too, of the captain from Titanic walking in going down the ship maybe the best response he could possibly have to it.
Speaker 1: What do we go?
Speaker 4: He's just so captain, Captain, sir, your life Jackets said, just keep swapping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lebron's didn't hit either. Daves was cooking there for a second. But Cortland Sutton, they've hit four out of five of his legs. Courtland Sutton didn't score for the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the I don't think the Texans can do against the Chiefs. I think I think we're gona see Chiefs in Nancy.
Speaker 2: Championship at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we can start talking about you. I gotta see Ravens bills and how those games operate. I think it could be one sided.
Speaker 2: That Dame could be bum bum liked. Obviously, being like a Chief stater, I'm bummed out that the Chiefs get just the winner of that game versus having to play both of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because you kind of one.
Speaker 2: I mean, man, if the Raven's could have just lost one more game and maybe they slip down a seat to where they're the ones going to Kansas City.
Speaker 4: I saw a funny clip of you ever see like the dog who hits the basketball on the stairs and it kind of bounces in the basket of who's gonna win the players? Yeah, using that whether there was one where a guy had a marble and it was in between like these two lines and he would roll it and these two dominoes were different colors, and it was based on the teams whicheveryone fell was gonna be the loser. And every time the Chiefs one died, he like throw a flag at it and put them back up. It is It's crazy, man, It's crazy. But yeah, I think we should get into our podcast. Yeah, I did want to talk a little college football. See if the Matthews brothers want to do.
Speaker 2: We can uh, yeah, we can either do when they're on, we can do it after, but we Clay Matthews, call Matthews, the Matthews brothers. They're in the shop right now. So we're gonna go ahead and hit that interview. If we do any more intro talk you guys who'll obviously recorded after that podcast, but it'll be in right after this ad. Read. Yeah, let's get the boys in.
Speaker 4: Let's get the boys.
Speaker 2: Get the boys in right after this ad.
Speaker 4: NFL playoffs. We're talking about NFL playoffs. You bet we are get into the action at Draft Kings, sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. Scoring touchdown is a key to winning in the playoff games, and the key for you scoring big is betting on them. At DraftKings the number one place two bet touchdowns. Ready to place your first bet? Trice betting on something simple like a player to score six. Go to the Draftking Sportsbook Gap and make your pick. Here's another reason to watch your favorite players crush it in the playoffs. New customers bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly score big during the NFL playoffs with Draft King Sportsbook. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook Gap and use code bus. That's b u S for new customers to get two hundred dollars and bonus bets instantly when your bet. When you bet just five bucks only at Draft Kings sports Books, the crown is yours. Let's get into the Matthews Bros.
Speaker 1: Real quick.
Speaker 4: Come on, skee Chans dialed in. You get anything at that charity event?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's such a fun time to go there, but it's like we're really just there to like be there and be with every body to that.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There, we had a sore been to Suppers a.
Speaker 9: Couple of times and.
Speaker 2: All right, we get the Matthews brothers.
Speaker 4: Do I het your fucking assistant, and it was She's like, all right, you need to start doing it again. It was bad. It was bad.
Speaker 5: What's the serious question, what's what is the downside to her addictions?
Speaker 4: There are no side effects zero, It's really just you feel great all the time.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 4: So, nicotine is proven. It's neuroprotective, it's a stimulant. It helps the multitasking. There's a lot of benefits of it.
Speaker 5: Do they pay you to say this.
Speaker 4: No, but uh, but there are like you could elevate your blood pressure, shrink your veins, like not shrinker veins, but like make it more difficult for blood. I don't know. There's there's a couple of bad things, but I would say the pros outweigh the cons. And also depends what's in there too.
Speaker 5: They said about cigarettes in the fifties.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly, they make a man exactly nice? Did you did you guys ever chew or anything like that? Dude, you kind of with the jacket on and the bun on, you seem like you could have a lip in.
Speaker 1: The big league. You. Yeah, in there, I was, I was mister straight edge. You never never want to taint the body.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about this, but yeah, my dad would have kicked our ass if we had done any of that.
Speaker 4: We could talk about it right now, Mitch, we rolling, baby, we've been rolling. Well, we can cut everything. Don't you worry. Don't you worry one bit. Obviously, Hey, you're in a safe space, not a mistake. We're all good. But you said your dad would have kicked your ass if you were taking doing anything extra. Was it like a booze or was it like, hey, we get past booze. Now we got a problem.
Speaker 1: Now. We were just from a family that was very you know, our parents didn't drink didn't even drink wine. Naturally, smoking is not good for you, and so I mean it just it was just expected and coming from you know, obviously father playing in the NFL. I mean, it was common sense and so, I mean it was just a given. You know. It wasn't like you we were sneaking around and doing anything like that. But yeah, he probably would have kicked our ass.
Speaker 2: I think Clay Saint and said, you speak for yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes, wowkright, go for it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think are the rebel of the family.
Speaker 1: Oh me, No, No, no, Kyle, Kyle.
Speaker 5: I think it's safe to say that which is which is interesting what the dynamic within the family is now in my role within the family. But to your question, and to piggyback on what Clay said, I don't know if it's a conversation my dad ever had with us, like, hey, if you do these things like you know, you're in big trouble. I think it's I think it's a combination of to Clay's point, knowing that they weren't good for you. My parents didn't do it so somewhat as a kid, not often, but there's correlation, like your parents behavior and modeling it. But I think also if I had to look back, I don't know if I've ever done this like in this the way I will now is like and tell me if I'm right. We wanted to as boys, we wanted to be our dad when we grew up. My dad is like a superhero. You know, he's this nineteen year NFL star, like good looking, jacked, great person, and it still is. But like at the time, you know, he's thirty, thirty five, forty and just and he didn't do any of those things. And so subconsciously, I'm sure there was part of that where it's like, well, if he doesn't do it, we shouldn't do it either, if we want to be that when we grow up again. I don't know if that if that's like a specific conversation he had with us, I can't remember that. You just you just didn't do it, right.
Speaker 2: Do you think the standard is the standard?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's all you guys kind of knew.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When you you guys now have kids, do you find it like you're gonna want to have those conversations say hey, we don't do these things or just kind of lead by lead by example the way your father did. Because I feel like it's much easier to say, hey, don't do these things. And obviously you don't want you don't want to do those things yourself either, but to have be like it's just known can be tough. It seems like you guys got the message loud and clear. But for having kids, have you guys approach it any differently?
Speaker 5: Well? Yeah, my kids are a little older, and I don't know if you're having those conversations with kids yet, But like my oldest is fourteen. I got four kids, my son Brody fourteen, daughters Kylie and Dixie who are eleven, and seven, and then I got three year old son Murph, and so Brody, I just I take kind of the Trump tack. I Trump told his kids like no drugs, no alcohol, you know, no tobacco, And I just say, those are my rules. And I'm you know, I'd like to think of myself as a principal father. You know, I don't have a lot of rules, but the rules I have, I feel confident to say, my kids know where the line is and so those are those are some of my very few rules in the house. And so the answer to your question, I'm not I'm not making the assumption our parents probably made with us and luckily it turned out okay. But I'm having those conversations with my children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure I'm gonna have to have them as well. But my youngest, my youngest is Colton, who's five. My daughter just turned nine, Maddie, and my oldest, Clay, the fourth is nine, will be or she's my daughter's eight, my son's nine, he'll be ten. It's like a Crimarti moment right here. But Colton's great at getting Daddy the yellow can in the in the mini fridge, which is uh, you know, the pills there, so, but we'll have those conversations new lat Can for the I PA. But we'll we'll have those conversations later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Dude, what when you were having being in the third, when you were having a kid before you knew did you want to did you want a boy? Did you want that fourth?
Speaker 1: I didn't care if it was a boy or girl at the time. And then when we had him at a way, yeah, it was just kind of a given. I mean, I was like, I kind of got to keep this going. But I did kind of waiver a little bit, thinking like I don't want to name him the fourth, Like we're getting into English royalty over here. That shit's still fourth. It is. But it's funny because I had through hearsay, I think my mom had said, my Dad's like, I don't want the I don't want the name to go away, and since obviously he was junior, so I'm like, all right, we got to name the fourth. But that was tricky out in Green Bay because it's not a lot of people named Clay out there, and they treat you, you know, the celebrity out there is unbelievable. You don't have a lot of freedom, so we had to. We called him Bubba, that was our nickname. And he's still between the family, he goes by Bubba, and now that we're out and then we're in the south now, so Bubba actually fits in. But he finally goes by Clay at school now because nobody cares about me anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Always, I always, I always think it's interesting. I'm the oldest boy and my dad didn't give me that name, And I swear to God, if he hadn't em me Clay, I'd be six four, two hundred and fifty pounds. I'd be sitting in an office somewhere typing out TPS report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, along the way, did you ever did you ever think about that, like feel some type of way along the way like you were or your dad's junior, and then ultimately Clay becomes a third, like I'm the third as well, William orl the third, and I'm the oldest. So I would I never had to think of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say, I don't know. I've never you know, I know a lot of juniors and thirds, maybe not as much for it, they're always the first. I've I haven't thought about it other than like the joke like I'm I've convinced myself that if I got the name like just the way that Dyna, I'd be like, you know, I'd be an ex NFL guy with a man bun, but like you can only get away and if he plays sports ory, you're a Yogans.
Speaker 1: I used to live in Van Eye, so I can go a different out with that man. But uh no, So the reason why I was named is because I guess uh ran out of names. Well no, from what I've heard, and maybe my parents are lying to me, is that when they had the the ultrasound back in the day, they weren't that good, so they thought I was a girl before I was born came out, I was a boy, and I guess you gotta leave.
Speaker 5: Why do they think you were a girl?
Speaker 1: Though, Man, it's medicine, it's all good. They couldn't. I couldn't see the easiest lay, but you have ever been so yeah, So I guess my grandfather had called my father and my mom and said, you know, want you his name after me and my brother who's in between Kyle and I here, his middle name is Clay because that was going to be the you know, continuation of that Clay name, and so now my name, my middle name is actually Clay as well. It's William Clay Matthews. So oh, let's go.
Speaker 4: Taylor Curtis.
Speaker 2: One day I get a boy, so I can carry on the on the name if when you're a junior, it's so easy.
Speaker 4: I feel like, when you get to the third, the fourth to fifth, you tell my royalty. I think that's awesome. But being a junior is not the best. And you had to have a nice name to William Earl's nice. William Clay is great. Taylor Curtis. I don't want to pass that down. I don't want to give that. I don't want to give that bait ass name to my kids. Give him something cool.
Speaker 5: But now I got two girls.
Speaker 4: Dude, I'm spitting. There's a whole there's a there's a war going on this cold. We had a team meeting last week and at the team meeting turned into JP and a couple of guys being like, just have a third, just have a third. So I'm obviously gonna been the knee. Like, I don't know how your household works. I don't run my show. There's nothing about my house. I'm like, yeah, I'm the man, not if you want to does not happen. I will be having a third kid, don't tell.
Speaker 2: My wife has figured out that the only reason is the nose because of him. So now we're trying to try to get.
Speaker 4: That one true And tell you made me feel a little bit better because you said you got I'm here fourteen eleven, nine and three. So that big gap sits year down.
Speaker 5: Said that was a COVID Like whoops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like hands.
Speaker 5: My wife's always like, oh gosh, she's always like, she's always like, you had one job. You couldn't even do that, right?
Speaker 2: Did you ever?
Speaker 4: Did you ever dabble with the idea of going to get a little surgery?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm medically retired now, yeah you're done.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'm out.
Speaker 5: I had to go red shirted out the baby making.
Speaker 4: Game checks in the mail.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 5: But he was a little, you know, too little, too late.
Speaker 2: So now sometimes you play that Russian roulette.
Speaker 5: No, but but now we got the fourth. He's healthy, you know, like when he turns eighteen, I'll be like, hey, how you doing, Like what's your name? You know? No, Murph is like, uh, you know, we get all the kids together every almost every Saturday, and he's like the little he's like the little pet like he's he's he's fun. You know, you throw a ball and he goes and gets it and then he brings it back. It's like kind of a fetch thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you plus plus if you having a fourteen eleven year old, it's like you have built in babysitters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like no, no, not, my kids are.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna find a way around this thing.
Speaker 5: But but now see so it's it's leverage, right, and so when you have, as a related to air.
Speaker 4: Well hold on with your kids. Is now I have leverage. I can use it. I'm gonna come across.
Speaker 5: No, I'm playing like with my fourteen year old. It's like, hey, when especially as as the male with the air thing, and you're like, when you got one, there's a lot of leverage on his end. Now I'm like, you know, I got an air and a spare, Like you mess up, I got another one coming up the ranks. You know, like I got a backup who's on a cheaper contract and making plays like you can't sit out too many games right now? You know, like it's called I hold them accountable, right, Just know it's it's science ability availability.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know how that.
Speaker 2: Is for the team you're against with the year old man? What was it like growing up? So we last year we had on we've had on Christan McCaffrey, and we had on his dad, Ed McCaffrey, and Christian was telling us stories how he couldn't get arm tackled growing up or grabbed by the jersey, how you'd have to take the jersey and everything else and if he'd get arm tackled, he'd get grounded. Was your How was he told it?
Speaker 4: He told a story about his dad went into the backyard in the woods and found an empty coke can and came to the house it was this and they got grounded for drink and soda at least.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, you you've got an interesting story because I think you you put on didn't he have you put on pads? And you did drills with him? Because I I didn't have that experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here here's I answer you a question. And then he coached you more. But I was the oldest, so like my understanding of the McCaffrey's which is very limited, but I heard I heard that, like those stories is. My father was the total opposite. And I'll give you some examples here, like I didn't play football till ninth grade, right, and I played in all sports, but I played soccer as a fall sport, and it just just is what it is. He never once pushed football. We never watched a single football game in our house unless my dad was playing, and even then we may or may not watch it depending on the broadcast schedule. Never watched a college football game until I played in one. Never watched an NFL game unless my dad, maybe my uncle. I don't even think we watched my uncle Bruce, Yeah he was yes. So it was the total opposite. It was very you know, kind of what we believe old school parenting is, like you just let kids be kids. They figured out like no involvement, nothing. When I was going down, when I was getting ready to play football in college, the only conversation my father ever had with me, and you might have been different, was like, hey, uh, you know you don't have to play football because I played football. It was like Matthew's like emoting, which is non like yeah, yeah, yeah cool.
Speaker 2: That don't be too weird.
Speaker 5: No, we were just weird. Well, what's just happened, you know, But we were we are at a stop by. He's like, hey, uh, you know you don't have to play football because I played. I go, yeah, yeah, Dad, I know that. He goes, Okay, I just want you to know that I was whoa like he.
Speaker 2: You know, I love you, right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: The only thing my dad retired when I was a sophomore in high school. I mean, you think about that. He played nineteen years, so like imagine your kids being a sophomore in high school. When he retired, it was different. And then he started coaching. Yeah, it's wild. And then he started coaching me in high school and that was the only involvement. By then I had chosen to play football. He coached you a lot earlier because you were younger, And the only time was heading into my senior year in high school, they were moving me from like defensive back down to like kind of outside rush, and I think he thought I needed to truly probably did get more physical. So he put pads on me and like it was like one hundred degrees in a Gore Hills, Like, he put pads on me, and during the summer he'd make me go down and he would put pads on and we'd have to do hitting drills. This is true, this is this is.
Speaker 4: Why he's still playing or just recently retired, like a year out of the league. He's still got it.
Speaker 5: No, he's he's like the.
Speaker 2: Rock grid iron games.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Like so on one hand, he had no involvement whatsoever. He was just like, look, I'll let my kids figure out who they are. If they're going to be players, are gonna be players. If they're not, they're not. But yeah, in high school he put on helmets and shoulder pads and like I would have to go thump them. And I remember like, and I was not that kid who was about like getting best, Like what am I doing out here right now? Like all my friends are at the beach and so you're thinking about TPS reports. Yeah that would come later, Yeah, that would come later when you know, I realized I had no options, so, you know, but that was the only thing. I don't know. Was he different with you?
Speaker 1: Well, I remember him taking me to the Golds gym in like sixth grade, and I was just such a bitch, like I didn't want to lift, you know, he was putting the the brown paper towel over the neck machine and I'm like, Dad, and I couldn't even do you know, like a like a five on each side of the you know, the bench press. I was embarrassed and I didn't want to and I just want to play probably Halo at the time, and I didn't really want to, and it wasn't until and my dad was like he tried to. But you know, at the end of the day, like Kyle said, he's like, all right, man, like you know, you do you and you figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so my junior year I had a buddy still my best friend of this day. He ended up getting drafted by the Chicago Bears and oh wait, hurt his back and you know, fell out of the league. But ultimately we pushed each other. And so I was also late to develop. So between my junior and senior year in high school, I went through puberty and I probably grew like four inches and put on like forty pounds. So at that time I was big for where I played football, and I was I was decent, but not good enough to get a college scholarship. So ultimately, like you know, as far as his uh wait.
Speaker 5: What is that picture of my dad and my uncle with their shirts off, go down bottom, right. I don't think I've ever seen that. That's that sports.
Speaker 4: Is win.
Speaker 1: You find anything, But I mean, yeah, so you know, we Yeah, he kind of just let us just develop into our own person. And like I said, I don't think there's a right or wrong way. Like I developed a natural love for the game and appreciation for it, so, you know, unlike the mcap obviously that's working well for the mccaffreys, you know. So there was really no right or wrong. But that's how he parented us, and when he retired, he naturally jumped into coaching me as a kid. So I've had his tutelage and coaching ever since I was in I think third third grade, So you know, that's why I've had I really think getting into the league as a rookie, just having immediate success was just because I grew up in that family. I knew what was expected. I knew, you know, what was going to come at me, money, fame, women, whatever it may be. So I was ready to go.
Speaker 2: We interrupt this episode to bring you a rocks On. Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Erectiled dysfunction one in four men eighteen years in older experience ED, which means that you were someone close to you might be experience it too. That's why I want to tell you about this new D treatment jel a ros On. It's the first of its kind D treatment jail with clinically proven results that you can get over the counter. A Roxon is a topical treatment jail, which means that it doesn't enter your bloodstream, making it safe for you and your partner to maximize intimacy. You can use it with your partner during foreplay leading up to sex, and it's clinically clinically proven to work within ten minutes. If you desire deeper connections and better outcomes, a Roxon is the answer. See if it's right for you. It is available in stores and online. Visit roxon dot us that's e r O x o n dot us to learn more. Back to this episode.
Speaker 4: When you talk about going not having a scholarship after high school and then obviously you know your uncle, your dad, like your entire family just like it's like, oh, you're a Matthews.
Speaker 2: You guys ever Matthew's family Wikipedia, Yeah, exactly, you have that.
Speaker 4: Is there anything going through your head of like I didn't live up to the name, or I didn't I didn't you know, exceee, I didn't meet the expectations that I'm supposed to meet. Whether it's your family putting on you or you personally put it on yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I never felt that at all. If I got something I think about for my you know, my son the fourth, I'm like, oh, shoot, man, you have to live up these expectations. But I don't know if that's how my dad felt. A lot of people ask me, oh, you know, you're gonna play in the NFL, You're gonna do this. I was just kind of doing my thing, and I never felt pressure from him, much like he told Kyle to live up to the expectation of play in the NFL, playing for nineteen years and accomplishing all that he accomplished. So mine was just natural and gradual. But I never felt that pressure. You know. The pressure that I felt was once I started ascending, got into the NFL and wanted to maintain that standard and the name, like you just said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I could comment on that. So I felt it tremendously, like it was a it was a weight my whole life. I don't know if it's because I was the oldest, or I just wired differently and Clay's better at tuning things out than I am. It was just you got it your whole life, and I was really we both were, but me, i'd argue even more, so, really small undersize our whole life. We're always like the Runts, and so you know, and we moved around a lot, like oftentimes we moved back and forth, but all all told, we moved thirty plus times, you know, because my dad would play for the Browns. So we'd moved to Cleveland in July August and we live in Cleveland until December Januy, we moved back.
Speaker 1: To no off season at the time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, live in l Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it was a true off season, which means like you see you later see in six months. So no matter where I went, I would get comments like, man, what what happened to you? You're a Matthews, Like you must be a disappointment, Like you're why you're so undersized, like you're the run like we all were. That I would argue, but I, again, I don't know if I'm wired different.
Speaker 4: Kids and wife beaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so you're also the first one going through.
Speaker 5: And I was the first one going through it, and then part of it. Not to dismiss Clay's experience, because that was his experience. Like he made it, right, I mean, he made it and had a phenomenal career. Now that wasn't always how it looked right, you know, certainly coming out of high school and what he was able to accomplish at as see, and the transformation physically and mentally in his game to be a first round pick and go on to have a brilliant career. I didn't and so very much that in my humble opinion, led to ultimately what and I'll let others define it, but like if I've achieved success in business, I really give credit to that drive, that motivation was. If you look at the Matthews and again, you know, I want to be fair. It's hard for me to be impartial with my family. I love him tremendously. Like you look at the history of the Matthews, especially on the male side, it's just high achievement. Going back to my great grandfather, Maddie played professional baseball and then ultimately was a boxing coach at the Citadel. My grandfather Clay the first Clay Senior was drafted, played for the forty nine ers. He played for the forty nine ers, then went and served in the Airborne, then went back played for the forty nine ers, got out of the league. This is in fifty five fifty six, because he had five kids, and you couldn't support a family on five You couldn't support a family of five kids. The area is right there. Handsome guy looks like me.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 1: This is a trip.
Speaker 5: Couldn't support a family of five on an NFL salary because it wasn't. So he goes into business. Fast forward twenty years. He's the CEO of a publicly traded company, so highly successful.
Speaker 2: Then you have.
Speaker 5: There's four males in the next generation, my dad and my uncle who are Hall of Fame effectively Hall of Fame player. My father longest. I think most games NFL history as a linebacker my dad, I could be wrong. And then most games NFL history as a o lineman, Bruce, I'm pretty sure that's true, are still true. And then the two other males were mentally handicapped.
Speaker 1: So like that.
Speaker 5: Where I'm getting is I'm the oldest male of the next generation between me, Clay Bryan Casey on our side, so four, and then how many males on Bruce six seven, so eleven twelve, I'm the oldest. And then I played football at SC and I get a letter, I play some special teams. It does I realize I'm not going to go to the NFL. Like I see I played the same position at the same time as Troy Polamolo. So I'm like, okay, that's an NFL guy.
Speaker 4: Competition.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he's okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Watching him kill that dude on that special thing is playing.
Speaker 4: I was there.
Speaker 5: I was I was there on the sideline. No, but but I I very quickly I said, okay, that's an NFL guy.
Speaker 4: That's not me.
Speaker 5: And so I go into the I go into commercial really say the work, the workplace, and I'm sitting there my first day at work, like sitting in a cube like kind of what all athletes you know have dread, Like, oh no, that nine to five, so to speak. It's it's not that bad. It just very much, you know, think of a visual representation. I said, well, I'm not going to be the first average Matthews Like, okay, it's not going to be the NFL. If it's going to be this real estate thing, I'm going to do whatever it takes to be the greatest of all time because I'm not going to be the first in my line to be an average and to not leave a mark for whatever that's worth. And you could say, oh, expectations, that's not fair, that's silly. That's true, Like that's what drove me and fast forward, you know, ostensibly twenty years to the position I'm in in my industry. Expectations was and to this day is the primary driver outside the ones we all have, which is supporting our family and well creation, wealth and things like that. So it was huge, huge for me, and to this day is I don't want to let down that legacy. And I'm sure people listening is like, well, that's stupid. That's what I felt, right. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it makes a lot of sense. How long did it take you to kind of feel like at peace with the end? Not make it to the NFL going into more of a traditional job because I think a lot of people that listen to the show, we have a lot of x NFL players on, we don't have a lot of people that are you know, just played college and then we're highly successful in the real estate world. So more people than not have to make that transition earlier than people that are usually on the show that it probably won't don't know like how like how long did it take you to come to peace with like one to the next chapter?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 4: It took a minute to get that one out.
Speaker 2: But well, here's what he had such a good job articulating the entire journey. Question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's here's what you can.
Speaker 2: Tell he's in the CDs. You know why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's here's what.
Speaker 5: I want to make sure I answer your question because there's like a couple of things to impact there. So the first I want to say that I have had time to think about this, and I am convinced that it was a blessing for me never really to get traction as a player into college in the NFL. I I and I have I've seen this firsthand, both within my family and outside my family, that I actually think it's harder if you play in the league four or five years. It's like a tease, like you actually taste and touch it and you get you get paid, whether it's the minimum three ninety five. I don't know if that's still it or you get paid three million bucks a year to do that for four or five years and you do get some wealth and then for the career not to work out and you're thirty and you say, okay, what do I do now? And then you start in a career. Let's just say just like mine, and let's say you're starting salaries fifty five grand. You're like fifty five grand like I made that per quarter, right, And it's such it's such a mind buck, right, It's it's not it's really hard. I never had to overcome that, and so I'm sensitive and I have empathy for the athletes who actually did play. They didn't play long enough. If I may to not, at least financially ever have to work again, Whether you should or shouldn't, that's that's opinion. But like to where financially you know, you probably don't need to worry about money. A lot of athletes they play a little bit and then it's taken away. So again I want to make sure I answer your question. I think it was easier for me, and it wasn't easy, but it was easier for me because I never even I never even tasted that or touched it or experienced that. So I went straight from you know, kind of a special teamer in college to like the workforce. And so the answer to your question is it it's it's very hard, and it it gets easier over time, but you never truly get over it. And I don't know. I don't know if if a guy who played fifteen years and never has to work again and made all pro and is in the Hall of Fame ever gets over it. You see it every day. I don't know if any of you guys will ever get over it. It's so hard, you know, to have that life when you're twenty seven, and then fast forward to forty seven, and you know, people care less and you make less. So it just it was really hard. Early on, I'm sitting in that cube, I'm working at the time. I usually get in the office at five forty five to six, and I worked till eight thirty nine at night, like five days a week plus Saturdays. And all of my teammates, my close friends from SC like I would say all a lot of them are playing in the league, especially at that time with Pete Carroll and g I ay say it was early two thousands early two thousands, and he came in right after there was a ten year run where like in any given year, you know, ten fifteen year teammates were going to the league, and everyone going there was like I'm going to the NFL. Whether that happened or not, obviously, you know, not everybody made it. But you know guys that I played with, Sean Cody, a Loofuz, Super obviously, Lionert Bush, all those guys like they're playing and they're moving on, and I'm you know, sitting in a much less glamorous light, you know, wearing a suit and tie and and uh, you just everybody handles it differently. I just again getting back to partly the not letting the Matthew saying. Now, I said, I'm just not gonna I'm just not gonna let these guys have these big lives and I'm not. And if it's real estate, I don't know how. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna figure it out. Like I'm not going to be the only unsuccessful teammate. I'm not going to have my teammate say hey, we're gonna go here and say sorry, I can't do that or I can't afford that. And again one of my big driver was the family legacy, but one of many drivers you have or you hope you have when you're when you're getting getting out of sports. Did I answer your question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 2: It's kind of that if you can tell you understood this about Kyberfest is kind of the first time you're hearing all of it, and.
Speaker 1: Like, well, as far as the legacy is concerned, that's definitely new to me. And it doesn't sup though, and it doesn't the reason why he's had a success, But as to where that motivator comes from, you know, I mean, I think that's I'm not gonna say a surprise, but it's interesting to hear because obviously it's Matthews. We talk about how we're emotional but not a motive. So to have these conversations, you know, you're like, oh, okay, it's usually when it's a little a little late, but yeah, to your point about you know, like us kind of yeah, I don't think any of us we have to be at peace with when our career comes to end, because I don't think any of us wanted to give it up. No, highest paid probably at one point. I know I was Pro Bowls, All Pros ten years. Yeah, argue, I'm a little round up for you.
Speaker 5: If you include Dynasty Mode in Madden.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and you know, so you have to be at peace with that. You have to, you know, because it's it's you can't sit here because obviously I still felt like I have I had some tread on the tires when the Rams let me go in two thousand and nine team, but you still feel like you got tread. Well, I do have tread, It's just you know, it's more around my stomach right now.
Speaker 2: So's but you do look like you could, Yeah, if the playoff team needed you right now, right plus the jacket.
Speaker 1: The packers said they we're looking for someone, but we saw that ended.
Speaker 5: But no one really ever gets over it.
Speaker 4: No one ever gets over it. But you're right, you got to have you have to have some sort of peace. You have like you you have gratitude. Other than being like I wish I could have done X, Y and Z, you have to look back and be like, man, I'm so lucky I got to do whatever it is, whether it was for a couple of years, or if you're a Hall of Fame type.
Speaker 1: Guy, this is hard. It's hard to think like that too. It is usually a forced out of the league for whatever reason. Injuries, new GM, new head coach, team sucks, you know, whatever it may be. So it's always somebody else's fault. You got to look in the mirror too and be like, whoever's fault to us? You got to let it go and you know, be at peace. So and you know, obviously you're still working. But for me, I learned that from my father, you know, as soon as he retired. It's just he would always say he's at peace. So I'm like, all right, well.
Speaker 4: Time to do it. Well he's at a piece. Then he's ever been at peace.
Speaker 2: Even if you're the greatest and that ego is still there, it's only gonna take what probably a decade for a generation to start kind of forgetting. Then you're like, do these guys forgot what I did? If you're so tied to that identity of being the best of all time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think your mind plays tricks on you, like this will sound stupid. I to this day, I'm forty two. I never even played in the NFL, and I'll watch a game be like I think I can play like today, like if I if I'm really trained, like and that's a joke, but I guarantee you and all the athletes like you're like if I just wake up tomorrow and I get like, I think I could get back to it, and then you work out hard for like two days, You're like, let.
Speaker 4: Me stop you there. I've been we go to a lot of games during the fall, and I'll watch warm ups and I'm just like, how the fuck do people do this? The more you're removed, like the callous leaves and you're just like, you know, I get up and I'm like I grab I see guys like block a little bit. I grab my knee.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I don't know's it's It's a hard sport on everybody, but big guys, it's really hard.
Speaker 4: If you watch the playoffs yesterday, you see Jayden Daniels take that hit on the sidelines, It's like, what are we doing on here?
Speaker 1: Boys? I watched my kids like jump off the coffee table. I'm like looking at his knees.
Speaker 4: Mine my kids like bump their like or whatever. I'll kind of like a seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I was in Chicago on Friday, they played pickup basketball in the afternoon, and I shoot you, now, bro Ran, I've been down the court three times and my chest for the rest of the day, I'm like hawking Logan's yeh. I'm like, man, yeah, it's It's not that I thought it was never over, but it's for sure. Even waking up this morning, like, I still have some inflammation on my knees just from playing pickup BASKETBA.
Speaker 4: That's what makes it so impressive about some guys who took a year off and you never really see success other than Trent Williams. Trent Williams the only guy I've ever seen take a year off come back and be the same, if not better than they were before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's built different that Sorry to cut you off. That's what I felt when I was let go from the Rams. It was March of COVID Denver in Seattle called and they called it you know, a week one of that next I guess the twenty twenty season, and I had let myself, Like you said that callous, I removed myself just a little bit, and deep down I started well, I started filling in where I wasn't in the kids' lives, you know, getting to school, picking them up, homework, whatever it may be. And I felt myself gravitating towards that role and slipping whatever you'd like to call it, pushing football further away to where they would call and you're just like, ah, man, this ain't so bad.
Speaker 2: On the other side, yeah, the manuy, you get a couple of weekends to yourself and you see your team, Like I remember when it was the year I went to Oakland, but my year before that, I was with the Titans, and the Titans started off that's when that was the whole AFC championship. You started off like losing four in a row maybe, or you guys were two and four. But I'm sitting there, I'm like, thank god, I don't got to go in tomorrow because the just the bubble that you're in football wise, Like, thank god, I'm not about to get it viscerated by Rabel and a team meeting.
Speaker 1: But I thought you were coming back though, with Braves going over to New England.
Speaker 2: I might be there's a couple of calls, a couple of conversations, maybe just the chemistry guy, locker room guy, just a strictly vibes guy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stretches job, that stretches job. Take the track.
Speaker 5: Yeah that guy Glenny Balls eats ice cream.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're that just sitting in the corner of the meeting. Yeah, eat some food, taking his jokes extra hard. Yeah, you're the funniest man. Yeah. He's at the team meaning you get off under the desk, go ahead, coach.
Speaker 5: He's just like you just totally nailed, Like awesome, dude.
Speaker 4: No one can touch you, right yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fluffer. What was it like, Clay for you? Like I was reading somewhere where you would have liked to have finished in Green Bay, like the legacy that you had in Green Bay. What was it like for you going to the rams and you were just kind of talking about the Denver in Seattle and your kind of feeling you're kind of out of it, like coming to coming to terms with your career.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I was disappointed in how my time in Green Bay ended. So my contract was up after the twenty eighteen season. I played, you know, I played out two contracts and we we had a defensive coordinator. In my first nine years, I was rolling. My tenth year, we had a new decordinate out of career low in sacks. But I knew I could still play, you know as well everybody says that, but I'm like, I know I can still play. I know it and get to the quarterback him. Obviously they decided to go in a different direction.
Speaker 2: Would you play an inside a little bit more?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thats what I was the two thousand and fifteen twenty sixteen season. Uh, and they obviously held that against me when they say your sack numbers are down, I was like, well, I just made two Pro Bowls and I'll pro it inside linebacker.
Speaker 2: But of course, just bullshit, you had like sixty tackles as an inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, grow did you see my impact?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Twenty fourteen were line back on.
Speaker 2: Swinging at the air that you have, not that we were saying. We argued that we should have got in there. But how did this dude Clay Matthews just off his name again?
Speaker 5: Maybe if you grow your hair out, it takes discipline.
Speaker 1: A Yeah, twenty fourteen were the thirty first ranked run defense. That was the year we choked to Seattle on the playoffs, and then the second half of that season top five when I moved inside.
Speaker 2: Okay, argue against Yeah, yeah, stand up, you're right Williams.
Speaker 1: I still got the ego.
Speaker 4: I still got the ego, but the impact I made it.
Speaker 5: He hasn't memorized that anything.
Speaker 1: I just know it. So they let me go, and are they let me? You know, Hey, we appreciate all you've done here. That's now.
Speaker 2: Are they communicating with you a lot?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: That's That's what I was disappointed with is you know, they had insinuated that they were going to bring me back or at least, hey, you go out, you know, field some offers, we'd like to match it. And then I find out on Twitter they signed Preston and Zadarius Smith and I'm like, oh, well, you know, and so they call, you know, a couple of minutes later, appreciate everything you've done, you know, yeah, we'll see you down there.
Speaker 2: How enraged were you with that phone call? I?
Speaker 1: I was kind of shook, you know, because I didn't expect that. You know, we my wife, no, we were all staying back there in the off season because there was some uncertainty. We had our third child out there, and I thought I'd for sure be coming back, and so that that was you know, I just It was in all a little bit and I think a lot of people, a lot of fans thought that I chose to leave to go to LA being an LA kid and whatnot. But the reality was, you know, at that point, and we're also four or five six days in the free agency. So these coaches, these teams like, oh man, I didn't know you know. They we thought you were going to resign there. And so the Rams and the Ravens were the two teams that reached out. And I talked to Eric Weddle, he was with the Ravens, signed with the Rams, and Rams were coming off the Super Bowl from LA. Baltimore was offering a little bit more money and they just came off a season with Lamar had just been drafted. Let's just say they were eight and eight. I'm like, oh man, this guy's not gonna be any good. They're not eight. Jared goff In the ramsay, yeah, McVeigh. So I opted to go to LA. We didn't even make the playoffs. They cut me loose. After year, Baltimore went fourteen and two. They had like twelve Pro Bowl starters. I'm like, yeah, MVC, I'm like, man, I'm talking about a bad decision. But I really though twenty eleven we went far teen and one in Green Bay. In twenty nineteen my year in LA were two of my favorite years, So I can't speak disparagingly on the RAMS. I really enjoyed my time there and playing with Aaron Donald, who freed up so much for me. I mean, it was the first time since my rookie year that I wasn't double teamed anymore. And speaking of those stats, I was top five and like rush win percentage with like Bosa and TJ. Watton and year eleven. So but yeah, I mean, I don't know here was that twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't play because you would have gone against handled probably.
Speaker 2: Unless it was the first six games, no nineteen.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the first six games PERSONA four.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we spend it.
Speaker 1: Yeah we we We played you once, although I didn't play. I was injured at the time.
Speaker 4: You guys just hey, when you were injured, I was like, thank god.
Speaker 5: You see you see the starters out, You're like game, especially when you got kicked out.
Speaker 1: He got kicked out. Ltroit guy on came across the line, he knocked over Mary.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we did a hard count. He he jumped and he pushed Marcus down. You were not having that.
Speaker 1: Well, they the reps, weren't having you when they kicked you out of the game.
Speaker 4: That I will say I was in. I was in for four place and I was a part of still sixty percent of Demarcolm Murraysey roast Yard. It's not a big deal, but uh, I got objected from that game because I'm looking at whoever that guy is and the ref had his hand on my chest.
Speaker 1: But the rest risk that's right.
Speaker 4: You just like moved a hind and I'm like, he's like, you're gone. You're out here, buddy. There is not a lonelier feeling they're in that locker room. I had my pants on that halftime still when they came in, and I'm like in the corner, kind of like will would be in Rape's meeting room if you went to the past and they lost, like just kind of scared.
Speaker 2: Wow, shot, right, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: But that was Yeah, thank god we won that game. Thank god. I thought we were gonna get killed that game.
Speaker 1: I forget what happened. I think we we just didn't play. What year was that, sixteen? Yeah, sixteen sixteen sixteen sixteen, Yeah, ye to your own fans or to us.
Speaker 4: It was more of the refs, But it was just a nice photo of me with one of those.
Speaker 1: What did you what was the Did you get a fine for just getting injected or did you get to it?
Speaker 4: I got a thirty thousand dollars fine for being injected, and I think it got rescinded though, because they're like, yeah, they shouldn't have ejected.
Speaker 1: You by the scaling and you got the victory, and you did. It's just like fifteen games season to start.
Speaker 5: Yes, I got a lot of street cred, but I already had that going on.
Speaker 4: That's the reason it was like my that was my year. I came on the scene a little bit. That's when I had like my first Pro Bowl. Things were going really well. We ended up going nine and seven after going two and fourteen and three and thirteen, so that's when they really started to go from me. A little bit short lived, but it was still a nice couple of years.
Speaker 2: I love how recently was their pods. There's like a new story that we get to hear about with you, which I mean just oh, yeah, you got injected. I haven't heard that one you haven't heard. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other good one was we it was preseason game.
Speaker 2: I was going to bring this up.
Speaker 4: This is my this is my welcome to the NFL moment.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you can you tell that one. This was a this was preseason, like several years later from your rookie year. Maybe it's week three, week four.
Speaker 4: We're in We're in lambre Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lambeau and I still am good friends with. Of course I'm blanking on his name right now. Kyler Kyler fact Team, Kyler Kyler factro. He actually had eleven sacks in twenty eighteen. But anyways, you were you you guys were going at it in the first and he's an LDS member, good old boy, you know more man, and you were just laying into him. He comes to sideline, he's like, he's telling me to go fuck myself. Like I was like, let's put that guy man, go get on, trying to coach him up, like just running down his face.
Speaker 4: Pre season game. You had a you had a bucket hat on a bunch of season out there.
Speaker 1: Don't you only bully you around?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is nothing more enjoyable than a fourth preseason game just sitting with the boys do. Would they make you wears sholder pets they worshoulder pats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would, they would. Some some would take it, like Charles Woodson would take it off but you know later right exactly. But I had to keep it on. But yeah, that that was funny the story you told me when yeah, talking about.
Speaker 4: We met at uh Thomas's charity event or his wife's Love One charity event, and I was I literally like like, hey, Clay Matthews here and I kind of like ran over there like a little fan. We'd like talk for thirty minutes. It was that little brodown and uh yeah, my rookie year. It was like the third preseason game and I was I was not a starter. Was Michael Roose as the starter? But I was in in that bullshit? Uh not the tight end but the wing. Not No, I'm sorry. I was the tight end on field goal, which is the worst position you can possibly be on ever in the history of football. You just take three dudes to the face constantly. But preseason I'm thinking I'm gonna be all right, You're lined up on Michael Roose and like kind of on his shoulder. Yeah, ruses down there ten year videos, Hey Clay go easy, and he just seees get the rookie, and you really just watched Clay in a four point stance shift over and I'm like, hey, what's going on here? Ball snap dude takes me and there's not like a couple guys on me. This is just Clay drives my ass in the ground, doesn't doesn't say a word either, and jogs off and I'm kind of like helt myself up, Like damn motherfucker.
Speaker 1: I actually felt was like, no, not at the time, I wasn't. I was like, I'm sorry for that, but you know, you got to think like you probably just scored. I actually so I went home on man, I don't remember that, but I remember it was pouring rain.
Speaker 4: It was, yeah, it was. I love that it affected you enough because I kind of went home and I told my life. I was like, I hope he feels bad about it.
Speaker 1: I went home and I was like, I just didn't remember. I was like, I sprite. We put a preseason again. That's when Julius came out there to to Green Bay and I'm like, I must have scored and I just took it out on him.
Speaker 4: But no, it was Michael, it wasn't It.
Speaker 1: Was always actually rus because.
Speaker 4: I remember like seeing you and I'm there thing to myself that those fucking forms are massive and they were just vascular, and then all of a sudden the forums got closer to me. And by the way, a lot of hair on your arms, because I remember it vividly, and you just took my.
Speaker 5: Ass out, all right, well and put put me in there working through this.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, yeah, well I'm sorry for that. I apologize, but in a way, it kind of it kind of built you up a little bit, you know. Twenty sixteen was the year we have.
Speaker 4: This episode of Bring You Rocket Money. At the start of the new year is a perfect time to get organized, get set goals, and prioritize what matters most for me. My top priority is my financial wellness, which feels more important than ever. Rocket Money is a personal finance app that helps find and cancel your unwanted subscriptions, monitor your spending, and helps you lower your bills so you can grow your savings, see all of your subscriptions in one place, and know exactly where your money is going. First off, this is an amazing thing. By the way, we definitely got to do this, this is ye, this is it time rocket time. Yeah. Rocket Money has over five million users and has saved a total of five hundred million dollars in canceled subscriptions, saving members up to seven hundred and forty dollars a year when using all the app's premium features. Cancel your unwanted subscriptions and reach your financial goals faster with Rocket Money. Go to rock rocket money dot com, slash bustin. That's buss I n ted day, Rocket money dot com slash busts And let's get back to this episode.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to USC. Yeah, you being a walk on always blows my mind. I think it blows everybody's mind that you were a walk on. When did did you ever you earned a scholarship?
Speaker 1: You never?
Speaker 2: I never.
Speaker 1: In fact, I lied when I got to.
Speaker 2: Your first round pick, and you never earned scholars I.
Speaker 1: Didn't get one scholarship.
Speaker 5: So when I went to you, oh, Pete Carroll his junior year, you were put on scholarship.
Speaker 7: Is that what you know?
Speaker 1: He's asking me? Going it going to s I'm sorry, are you asking out of high school?
Speaker 2: Was I like? Yeah, I knew you were a walk on a high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you ever earn your scholar clarifying idea, Yes, my red shirt my third year, my red shirt sophomore year earn a scholarship. So I apologize, you're good about to Yeah, I was just gonna get into it, but yeah, I felt like I deserved one. After so, they they have this you know, your g P A, I think your team GP. I don't know if this is still you know, with the nil and whatnot, has to be a certain you know what a threshold. And so every year they give scholarship to like fifth year walk on to bring up the GPA of the teams. Mostly well, you know, there would be like there's just be some guys. And I felt like after my first year, I felt like I deserved a scholarship. It was kind of crazy to think, but I felt like I earned it as a post to the other guys were getting.
Speaker 2: It in the fashion of the way you performed on the team.
Speaker 1: Well, I was red shirted, but going into that next year, I was on kickoff and I think punt, so I just felt like I had, you know, but I didn't say anything. And then the next year, you know, they kind of gave me one of the opening.
Speaker 5: So your third year, I guess.
Speaker 1: That'd be my restures sophomore year, reh fresher year. I was just trying to keep my head above water. I was I was like the scout team running back where guys were tackling me. I was the pulling guard for dns who were trying to spill it. I was like, this is this, hold up?
Speaker 7: Hold up?
Speaker 5: When I got to sc we had three practices today. These are three days, all right, And then heading into like this was freshman soft more and it was really tough. And then there were a couple of athletes who passed away that summer off season workouts. It was a guy at Florida State. Then there was maybe an alignment and the bikingkes and so the n CUAA switched, you know, changer with they regulated practice where you can't have more than two practices a day, like two days in a row, all right. So it started to get easier. But when I got in his brutal this guy comes in right after me.
Speaker 2: Get this.
Speaker 5: So he's he's gonna be a red shirt, is what it is like. You know, he's a walk on, he's gonna be camp fodder. You know, he gets down there for like the first practice. Then they rule him ineligible or something. He skipped the entire red shirt camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah what happened. Now, it was a clearinghouse. So I had good grades, but some paperwork didn't get submitted because.
Speaker 2: I was actually have good grades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I got, I got. They sent me home after a week, and like I said, that first week was rutal because you know, you're like the man in high school no matter where you went, and uh, man, I just remember coming home telling my parents like I wanted to quit. I was like, I want to be closer at home, go to U C. L A and all this stuff. And fortunately I didn't go back till after Reggie. Uh we beat Virginia Tech and he that was his heisman year two thousand and four when we won the national championship. But I didn't go back to week one of practice. So that honestly saved me because I was, man.
Speaker 5: I was, I'm sitting there sitting in my cube, like what he does have to practice the whole camp. I'm like, man, how does this guy get away with it?
Speaker 4: A walk on, walk on freshman, They try to break you, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, summer you did summer workouts still, yeah, I I you started coming.
Speaker 1: Down, yeah, you know, but I didn't have to. No, Yes, I did do summer. I think I did summer. But fall camp was like, you know, and especially understand which I'm sure as you know, being a you know, high were you highly recruited at high school?
Speaker 4: And I mean I know I had like a crazy come up my senior year, but I a scholarships American.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, to football. Well, but it's very it's very clique, as you know, and so if you're a walk on, and there's a negative connotation of walk on, so you're kind of putting this bubble with the frat boys and whatnot. But I was, I was getting at earlier. I lied to some of these guys, like what scholarships did you have? I picked the worst teams in the patch. I was like Arizona, Arizona State. I threw an Idaho, you know. I was like, no one's gonna check it. So I kind of, you know, I fit in there. But then uh, yeah, you're in the top right at Young Troy, right there in the front left, the.
Speaker 5: Holy White Boy.
Speaker 2: It's a good feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I forgot. I'm on a tangent right now.
Speaker 4: You tell you're telling all the guys about the scholarships you had. You picked the worst teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so no would check me and and I wouldn't. I feel better about myself. So that's that. But yeah, I didn't get any scholarhip co of high school, but I did obviously earn one when I was.
Speaker 2: Just to throw this out there, and Cayle, you can help fact check me if I'm wrong here. But you thought you deserved a scholarship after your red shirt you sorryn't even go to red shirt training camp.
Speaker 1: No, not my red shirt my second year. I I apologize, all right, Yeah, we've got it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what kind of stories like you played with Leonar and Bush, like you hear all this stuff. He got his heisman taken away for the things that would happen heads a Kardashian. Yeah, under Pete Carroll's regime, he goes off to Seattle. Do you have any stories? Yeah, man about the l A.
Speaker 4: You know, like you guys, that's when like USC was truly going legitimate celebrities like you were celebrities to the celebrities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you go on rivals dot Com and you see them in their gray T shirt cut off T shirts working out, and you be that's the place. You see that red that red wooden fence behind her. There were there were three schools.
Speaker 4: I want to go to. USC was one of them. Just that was.
Speaker 1: Was that real quick.
Speaker 4: Oh nine would have been my freshman year. Oh nine. And as Pete was still there.
Speaker 1: Well, I know Tyron Smith was still there, but he might have been like a junior or he.
Speaker 4: Got drafted on twenty eleven, twelve.
Speaker 1: I think I remember my senior year like these tackles it was Khalil Khalil, uh Matt Khalil, and they were so skinny and sunny. I'd come back and they're like first round draft picks. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There was one guy I can't remember who's in my class. He was like the number five tackle. It was like, I can't he he had a family like his dad also put at USC. But I was like the I was two fifty five. I was the way I am right now. My senior of high school, like trying to get scholarships on potential. This kid was like three ten already, Like, you know, this kid looks like he can play in the league. I can't remember his name. I had a huge vendetta against him my entire college career, as you should. Yeah till you keep the chip on the shoulder. Yeah, well big one or two guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and you just you create narratives in your head, you know, yeah, whatever you got to do to get yourself up in the morning. So you know, we I think you probably like me. We get this question on what was it like, you know, la celebrities paying players, Like I hate to disappoint at least my experience, and I can't say I was you know, I was boys with all those guys, like I can't necessarily say I was running in the Hollywood circuit with Liner and Reggie like that wasn't necessarily my vibes at the time or ever, but uh it was. It was really a credit to Pete carroll Man and a lot of the company I run today. I founded almost a decade ago and run I unbeknownst to me at the time, Like I got to see a highly successful high performance organization run, in my opinion, as good as it possibly can. Where Pete created this insane level competition like iron sharpens iron, full speed ones versus ones, every day in practice. But then he did it in a way that was so loose and so fun, lots of pranks, lots of celebrities and just the master and and so that's really you know, you juxtaposed that versus a Nick Saban, and both are insanely successful. They're very different, though, and Pete style, in my opinion, you know, so many people tried to replicate it, just not to the degree it was. It was a lot of fun, he was.
Speaker 1: He was very.
Speaker 5: Transparent about competition. I'll tell you, I'll give you a story. So I'm sitting there, I'm sitting behind pull A Malu for three years and then heading into my senior year. The way I saw it, we had the strong safety pretty much settled, and I was a safety and the safeties were interchangeable, so the other safety was open, and you know, looking at the depth chart, like humbly speaking, I felt good about my opportunity to potentially earn that spot. And then but they signed a five star freshman, a long Beach poly Darnell Being who'd go on to have a great career and became a good buddy of mine. But you know, I didn't know Darnell personally. When they signed him, I'm like, oh crap, Like, here we go. So it's before spring, before the first practice you meet as a team. You're in the big team meeting room and Pete goes, hey, guys, okay, this spring we got to get after it. Were just coming off you know, a big BCS win like and he goes, but I want you to understand the opportunity you, guys, as existing players have, is the spring is your showcase because in the fall, we're bringing the number one class in. They had just signed it because signing days like February. Now it's March springball. He goes, we're bringing the number one class in and we are going to give them the reps and give them the opportunity to beat you out. And so you need to take this time seriously because you're not gonna have as big of an opportunity in the fall. And just to drive home the point, you're gonna sit here and for the next hour, we're gonna put their highlights on film and you have to sit here and watch all of your all of the five star recruits are bringing in you guys, I am bringing them in to take your job, and you're gonna sit here and you're gonna watch their highchool highlights. So we had to sit there for an.
Speaker 2: Hour tight in that meeting room.
Speaker 4: Oh my yeah god.
Speaker 5: So we had to sit there and you know, it's like, okay, running backs. It was coming in Reggie Lendale. We had a guy Chauncey Washington. It was really good running bay you know, tight ends o lineman. And then it gets the safety like it said, five star, number one in the country, rivals number one in the country, this darnel being long Beach Polly and I just sit there for like, you know, five to six minutes and watch you guys highlights, and I'm just sitting there like fuck this motherfucker, like you yeah, fuck like because that like when you're in that like alpha dog, hyper masculine society that is college football or any football, Like it's it's kind of like a fighter's mentality. I'm gonna kill this guy, and like that's that's what he was doing. It was all Pete was so good at the psychological part. And so you know the answer to your question really is like I can't. I don't have any As far as I know, there weren't like alumni handing out money or anything, at least not to me, not to you like but but but it was the way Pete ran the program. It was so intense, it was so high speed, full speed one verse. Once he would he would like proactively tell you you are competing with him, And yet he did it in a way that there wasn't there wasn't open ANIMOSITI. I never looked at Darnell or Troy like I hate you know, those are my those are my guys. Those were my boys, you know, and I and I do the best I can to take that and apply it to the company I get to run.
Speaker 1: You could talk about you know, celebrities and what not coming out like I think, you know, Kyle graduated right when they were peaking, and you know, the celebrity was coming in, so like Snoop Dogg would come in and drop it like it's how we had a guy freestyle with him in the front, Will Ferrell come in as Ricky Bobby. You know, we had all these guys coming in on the sideline and and whatnot. It kept a loose environment, but you know, kind of like Kyle alluded to it also that what he demanded from us as well. He made it very clear and some of my fondest memories are are just the stretching lines. You know, We'd have Ken Norton and Lane Kiffin and they'd be arguing at each other and and Sarkisian was there, mss why Ed Ozeron was there? But that you know, uh Ken Norton, Ken, because it wasn't just the players. Ken Norton would be saying, Laine, only reason why you got a job is because your daddy. And then Lane would be yelling back, your daddy got knocked out by Ali and he said, my daddy, my daddy broke all these and it was like but and then we went straight into nine on seven, straight in the nine on seven. But like, like I said, there was no animosity. You know, It's like you could tell there was that friction, but it was there was It was always competition. That's every meet and every it was all about competition.
Speaker 5: And Pete while he was a player's coaching that he is fun like, he was a killer man. He was a businessman and like and if you got in the way of his program, guys would disappear man like, they would get out. I remember because back then there was no transfer portals, nothing, and again, this is my opinion. I can't prove this is like when Pete came in because I actually my freshman year I was with Paul Hackett and then Pete came in and all of a sudden, like guys started disappearing off the roster. He would go to him and say, hey, listen, and this is what I heard. So I'm just is like, hey, you're never going to play here, and so you could do one or two things. You can transfer out, we'll sign your papers like see you later year off. Right, Well, if you transferred, you had to take give or what he did was he went to guys like, hey, you had of shoulder injury, out of knee injury, like you're recovering, will medical you, but will like walk you into the grad school program. Like cause like he came in, He's like, how do I turn this roster around? And I can't wait to do it. Fifteen to twenty scholarships at a time and my first year thirty five forty guys like got cycled through the program at a time that it wasn't as liquid as it is today, like where guys can just come in and out. I mean nowadays, coach are going like, hey, you should transfer because we're not going to play you and go somewhere else. So he's he's a killer and you respect that. But he did it in a way that just, you know, really some of the fondest memories of my life. Like what I don't know, I'd be interested to ask you guys at question, like what do you miss more like playing football or the locker room?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Was I missed the locker room? That's what I really miss.
Speaker 2: The locker room is commercials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see Peyton Manning's autograph. There was before J. J. Watt. It was me on the defensive side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the uh you brought? You bring up Pete Carroll how like Stern he was in hardcore he was, but how he made it fun like he seemed like a guy that he like made the like the basketball hoop in the team meeting room made that famous. Like what were some of the things he did to keep it Like because my short time I got to me, I went to a junior camp at USC and it was like I saw him in the first time I met him. He gives me a hug and I'm like, this guy's the fuck. He just had that energy.
Speaker 5: He's just built different. He has energy that I don't have, and like he just I think he was born that way. That is not an act, Like he is a high energy positivity guy. I'll I'll give you some examples, and maybe it changed by the time Clay got there. Like you know, it's the middle of camp and you're you know, you're what are the twenty eight days in camp and it's day eighteen, Like you're just in the shit, right and your your body's banged up and you're going hard, and Pete's like, hey, like, you know, for practice in the morning, practice in the afternoon. So at the end of the first practice he I don't know if he manufacturing really felt like this, but it was supposed to be full pads in the morning, like shells in the afternoon, so full pads, and you know, at the end of practice, he's like that was a bullshit pro don't like the energy. This is bs like just ripping us, you know which, again, that wasn't normally his go to sow. He did it more than probably the normal fans would think, but like it was like and maybe we were dragon asks, so we get He's like, you know what, because we're going full pads this afternoon, hitting drills, tackling, live everything. We're like, oh no, and so he brings us out. In the second practice, we start doing the stretch lines and he like calls us up and he goes, guys like I need to be able to trust you, and I'm paraphrasing I need to be able to trust you, Like I was not happy with this. So I'm gonna give you an option. Either we go hard and like do this the right way, or we get on some fucking busses and go to the beach. And there are busses lined out right outside practice, and we all get on the bus in our full pads and go to Manhattan Beach and go to the beach.
Speaker 1: That day like yeah, movies, We go watch the beach volleyball man and just stuff in the meeting room too. I can't remember why, but we always were shooting water up in there, guys taking their shirts off, swinging them around. I don't know why, but like we just that was it every meeting. Hey, they always call people up to make fun of other people, like what you do with raves, Like I always they called me up. All that's because I was just the walk on it the time, like nobody and then you know, like they would call people up to make fun of others. They do one on ones watching people get cooked or whatnot up, so like they always promoted that environment.
Speaker 5: I'll get you on that team meeting, so like we might have to cut this just because I like this guy, but we would come in, we would destroy him.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, we're having fun.
Speaker 5: We would come in and like to Clay's point, like there is this It started my sophomore junior or like the meeting room coach O was getting mad about something and he smashes a projector with his fist and like these are projectors, Like I'm getting old here and he smashes it and throws it, and then like we're getting hyped. So Kennedy Pola, this big salmon running back coach, he played running back, just awesome guy. Like he takes a chair and throws it through this window because they're like Florida ceiling windows like twelve feet tall and throws it through the window and we're sitting like what has happened? So then that became kind of like whenever they felt like we would just start getting hyped and throwing water and so Kennedy pulled the start of the thing, like what's the first thing you do before you get in a fight? You know, it's like take your shirts up. So everyone takes their shirts off. We start like pushing each other and like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And then he's like, then there's this chance, like wartime, it's time to go to war, like we're gonna take it outside, Like what do you do? You take your shirt off? Like let's go outside. We're about to get in a fight. That was our chant like back when we were winning. I don't think it is anymore. You know, Lincoln might need to bring it back, but my point is so then, so he started getting more hyped, and every every meeting got more and more hyped. It wasn't you know to eventually like you took your shirt off, like everybody's taking their shirts off. And then we had a linebacker coach Coach Holt Nick Hole, he was your coach. He ended up going to coach Idaho for a minute. He got so hyped up. One time he took his shirt off in front of the whole team. Then he took his pants off, all of it, underwear, no shit, and he's jumping around butt ass naked.
Speaker 4: Everyone's like, yeah, let's fuck whoa.
Speaker 5: And like he's like, what too too much? It's like dog but they like and it was like what just happened?
Speaker 4: He was grown man, he just.
Speaker 5: He just he got into that like mannic alpha where he went.
Speaker 4: Barely legal kids. Yeah, and I was like, all right, Like after that.
Speaker 5: We we we agreed there was there was a limit to the high we gotta draw.
Speaker 4: Was the next meeting Peter Klby like, hey, we can get excited, but let's keep our world.
Speaker 5: Probably like Pete had a great way to roll with it. But that's when I was like, all right, this place is crazy, dude.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 5: It was just it was just next level and then uh then Nancy double A came in and killed it.
Speaker 4: So did you ever go to Reggie Bush's house in Malibu in college?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: I did not.
Speaker 4: Did he have a house in alb I think that's what he had that he had cars? Story agen The only.
Speaker 1: Thing I got, honestly, I never saw I never saw money, you know, I've never seen any of that. But uh, I got two free RB's roast beef sandwiches in the valley. That was the only thing I got in my five years at s C, I got nothing. So all this stuff, where are these guys getting? They get free, you know, Redace hundreds of thousand of dollars. I just maybe I was just have my head in the sand, but that went over mine.
Speaker 2: We interrupt this episode to bring you Kevin's Natural food This is honestly a reminder. Right now, I am pissed that I left my I made some kevin Zetral foods. I made the chicken Tika Marsala, left it on my dining room table before I came to work today. But if you want a delicious protein pac meal on the table in under five minutes, Kevin's Natural Foods, heat and serve entrees are your MVP. Kevin' Natral Foods ready to heat entrees and stir fried kits are shockingly delicious. I double stamped that. I triple stamped that and made with clean, high quality ingredients. They feature delicious, restaurant quality flavors like listen, I'm gonna go off the top here, tie coconut curry, General SOA's chicken, the chicken Tika Marsala. There's like a roasted garlic chicken. Roasted garlic chicken, it's paleo very clean ingredients. It comes like the meat. You know how you read the back of an ingredient's lable and it's massive, like these ones are very short. They come in. The meat comes in like a souvied packaging, so it's like souvieed and chicken bone broth. The vegetables are in a vegetable broth, and all you gotta do is throw in the pan and kind of flash fry it a minute on one side of the chicken, flip it, do a minute on the other side, and then you pour in the sauce that they have. That's paleo ingredients, clean ingredients. I shit you not. Kevin's Natural Foods is the real deal.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 2: I kind of lost my train of thought here. Kevin's variety of flavors and proteins offers countless opportunities to make your own taco, salad, sandwiches, et cetera. The opportunities are absolutely endless. Kick off twenty twenty five with Kevin's and make it your healthiest and tastiest yere yet. Look for Kevin's Natural Foods in the refrigerated section at your local grocery store. If you're a whole food shopper, they're right there. You go by the meat, you turn around there in that little refrigerated where kind of like sits, you know, a little freezer area. Yeah, you reach down. They got all the varieties, They got all the varieties. I gotta tell you, you guys are gonna love this shit.
Speaker 4: You better get there fast because they might not have all the varieties. Ause people might come there and start buying all the varieties and you'll only have one or two varieties when you want all.
Speaker 2: The especially when they listen to this sad read. Go shop, go right now, Kevin's Natural Foods. It's all I gotta say back to Bro, you you were part of the I wouldn't even say, arguably the best linebacker room of all.
Speaker 4: Time, of all time.
Speaker 5: Facts you Ma Lugava.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went Keith that senior class. Yeah, and then what Keith was older was a year He was a year older, so he went ninth though, but I was even there. Lofa was second round. But yeah, my senior year was me and Cush went first round and Ray right, he should have gone, well, you're supposed to go first. And then Mayava went fourth to the Browns. We had a good I think we finished first, first, second, second and all the postseason lads and whatnot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, had phenomenal. Chris had a great career, even Koluka like he started he was playing six seven years. Yeah, I think baby old or something. Yeah, that's what it was. But that was a great team.
Speaker 2: How was I was cush in college because he seems like he was my favor He's my favorite Jersey boy.
Speaker 1: He was my favorite.
Speaker 4: You just have that thing. And when they're playing the Cleveland Browns and he runs face first and the officsive lineman face blood full or Facebook.
Speaker 1: We would be in like coaching Norton with Ken Norton, be you know, in meetings and it'd be like lunchtime and I'd need like a turkey burger with fries, trying to be healthy, and this guy like you know or something, and then you see his little watch go off, click it, reach underneath out, pull out his like customized meal and pills and whatnot. He was just he was dialed in. But I love that guy. He's still one of my best friends, says Dad. I wish we could have played again, still keeping touch, but yeah, he was a monster, and I think he helped elevate that room because of his Jersey tough mentality. He was about he was about that, like he was.
Speaker 4: About that actually yea, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah he and Clay knows him super well. But like I was thinking, the last time I hung out with Cush, we were in Miami and we're down there for the Pro Bowl. Clay's in the Pro Bowl and so we're me, Clay, my brother Casey, and Cush. We're out and we're having a good time. But it's like, you know, like it's like midnight one am. Like I'm getting tired, man, We're like grown ups. And Coach like, come on, Like we're in Fort Lauderdale, which is about an hour north of Miami. Coach like, let's go to Miami. There's a there's a party at a club Miami. My teammates from the Texans. Andre Johnson is from Miami. He's throwing a party over this.
Speaker 1: It was we were the only white police.
Speaker 4: Were outside.
Speaker 5: We're outside this club. We're with Uh it was Ray Lewis, it was a Dan Hendo Henderson. We're sitting outside and I'm like, no, dude, let's go do I'm tire, Like go home, like no, come on, like what do I gotta do? And I swear to god you look down and I don't know that in the curve there was a one dollar bill in like a dirty curt like in like gutter water. And I was like, you eat that one dollar bill and Cush is like what. I was like, eat that one dollar bill. We'll go to Miami. So Cush rolls up, he eats a gut like a gut or water one dollar bill and he goes. I was like, Miami.
Speaker 4: So we go down to Miami. Hold up, that's better.
Speaker 2: We go down.
Speaker 5: We don't really understand the context of this party. So we roll in. It's a nightclub Andre Johnson, and the entire you is throwing it in like you know, like Coral Gables or Brickle or somewhere down there. And we walk into Clay's point it look this is not you know, it's like, well the only white dudes there and like, which is finely Like We're like, oh, this is fun, and Cushing we go up. They have a table for us. We're you know, we're wapping up some people.
Speaker 2: We know.
Speaker 5: Cush disappears years over there.
Speaker 1: Mario Williams dapping them up in the middle of the two in.
Speaker 5: The dance floor, so listen, we have so they're just down there, so hold on, hold on, it gets it gets better.
Speaker 4: Left. Yeah, this is a Cush story. So like again, like Clay, you.
Speaker 5: Made the decision. If we edit this out. I think this makes it. I think this makes it look makes them look even better. But he disappears and they're bringing bottles and bottles and bottles. We're not drinking, like it's again now it's two three am, and like the Matthews were like, let's go home. Well anyway, all of a sudden, we're like, hey, we're gonna havead ou He's like, well, who's paying for this bill? And it's like this is ten thousand dollars? Like what anyone else? It's Cushing. So Cushing had left his credit card on the table.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 5: Cush had like a twenty five hundred dollars limit on his credit card. Boys, I got this any worry, Like he's disappeared, he has his credit card, can't pay for anything, and we're like we're not paying for it, and like they're like, someone's paying for it. And so finally we got the guy to Andre Johnson comes over, it's his party.
Speaker 1: I think it was like his somebody I got it.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 5: And then we always said hey to Andre Johns, you got to go track Cush down to get the money. And he got the money.
Speaker 4: But like that was cause was Cush.
Speaker 1: Oh he just disappeared. He just disappeared. He was down there amongst the crowd, just where he was. Cush told me the story. He said like, yeah, yeah, I got you. And then like it was like a month later and somebody rolled up on me. You had to like running ship, Yeah, hey you got that money.
Speaker 5: Somebody rolled up and was like, hey, like where's the money? Yeah, you know Cush is is that guy that's not an act? Like he's a savage.
Speaker 4: You know, he had to be crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean it was my entire motivation inspiration, like in my high school days, like my dad and my dad was pretty psychotic with me as a kid. But you were the walk on story Cush. I had to do all my dad would buy all the DiFranco tapes. I would have to do all the Franco method that Cush would do. I mean, Cuss got that you know, diabolical before and after photo with when he was going through labor and surgery, and then all of a sudden, he's like flexing with you. You guys are both flucked in the classroom. And then Rave Malugu was my lock screen. So I was all sc linebackers, Why didn't you go there? I wasn't good enough. I didn't get an offer.
Speaker 1: What year was that?
Speaker 2: Eight was the classic? And I think that was I think that was Tyron Smith? Is Tyron Smith?
Speaker 1: What lineback? Who was like Chris Capo or who?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because my.
Speaker 2: Brother he was a five star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brother came out. Uh he might have been like a three or four star, my younger brother and sea Yeah, well I don't know was there. Well anyways, eight they passed on him, and uh so he went up to Oregon and obviously Organ had played in the National Championship ever losing to Cam Newton. But after like the first year, did you brother want to transfer back to USC You missed?
Speaker 2: You missed the boat was supposed to keep in the family.
Speaker 4: What he is doing. I have a vivid memory of It's like week six or seven, No, probably the first couple of weeks of my rookie year. And I'm not starting but I'm watching Ray Montoluga on the Bengals, and we had a whole game plan of like, hey, we got hit the perimeter on these guys. So we were watching a b of pin pool things with tackles going out, and there's a clip from the Ravens where Ray did not give a fuck about making the tackle. He was just murdering and left right then. And I sat in that me room, I was like, I pray to God, nobody gets he was playing.
Speaker 1: As a as a freshman at at USC. They put him on kickoff like L five R five. He run down there, biggest head ever too, and neck and he would just just lead with his head and just knock pel out and he would just get up. I mean he was like you would think he was just straight from the island, like you brought him over like like Maui you know Demi.
Speaker 2: God, Yeah, he was like before this, like when we were talking about my Luga. His body like everybody has like a reaction when they're making a big hit, like Ray, his body just always stayed so compact. Yeah, his body never moved when he made a big There's no like people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was just a.
Speaker 1: Really stout Yeah, he would Yeah, he would have been perfect. He probably could have lied. I mean still played for several years, but he probably you know that rate, you know, late nineties early two thousand generation of inside linebackers who just needed to run downhill? Yeah that man, that that h u s. The U c l A highlight that just popped up right there right now is yeah, we ended up I think losing this game. We would have gone to the National Championship.
Speaker 5: But that quarterbacks in real estate, he reached out all the time. I think his murdering. So his name is Patrick Cowan. I think he's done well in real estate, so well reach out and it's like, man, how's your head?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Sage Killer? Is that that running back? Three bar face mass too?
Speaker 4: That Robal? Is that true hate Week?
Speaker 1: Honestly, they haven't been that unlike Michigan Ohio State. You guys, I'm gonna say, you like have had so much sustained success that U c l A has kind of. At least when I was there, they had fallen off completely. They weren't even a top twenty five I think my first year two thousand and four, they were like a like a teen's team, maybe top ten but I think we beat on like seventy to something that was like Reggie Bushes I had secured his heisman, but it was it was fun, but it always felt like the second tier of of like a bath went to U c.
Speaker 9: L A.
Speaker 1: Now that's obviously changed because they're both kind of right at least at this point that mediocrity, but at the time, like it was more Notre Dame, and to be honest, was so good. At the time, it was whatever the best team wants national team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the best team was like we can't wait Sahoma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brutal before instant replayed Vince Young.
Speaker 1: You you you were in I was. I was in the Vince Young one.
Speaker 2: You were in the Vince Young one? Oh yeah, because that was that was like it.
Speaker 1: Was five seasons. Yeah, it's just it's tough. Yeah, but I wouldn't like, yeah, it wasn't that difficult for maybe because I was just on like two special teams. Just to I may be completely candid, it sucked. But the next year we played Michigan. Michigan was I just go aheading. The story Michigan was was rolled like they had a man blanket on the left long heart Manningham Henny, Yeah, and uh beat them up pretty good. And then the next year we're up pretty good. Illinois, we got after them. And then last year was Joe Paterno's Penn Stay we played in.
Speaker 2: For Illinois was at the Rose. You guys crushed a big game on that one too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a period. Yeah, there's a period there against the Big ten and the sec where and in fact checked me, I don't think we lost for like six seven years, you know, outside of Texas and the Big twelve. Like I know, my senior year we went.
Speaker 1: Down to Auburn and rolled in the Habraska.
Speaker 5: To Auburn had Cadillac Williams.
Speaker 1: N uh.
Speaker 2: My official visit to Nebraska is when you guys, you guys came to Nebraska, it's like forty eight to I remember seeing.
Speaker 1: It was that two eight. Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I started that game. I broke my thumb and had to come out. Dude.
Speaker 2: It was down there, Nebraska. Yeah, they killed us. Obviously we had thirty one, but forty twenty one of them were in the fourth quarter, so that the guys, like I remember seeing Taylor Mays pre game, Taylor Mays just staying in.
Speaker 5: Taylor game, just a SC won half their games before the games just because of Taylor.
Speaker 1: Is like what Ron ron Zuck was the head coach of Illinois at the time. He was our special teams coach for a few years in Green Bays. And we when we when we took the field and you guys are out there, it was over.
Speaker 2: It was over.
Speaker 1: It was over. Like we we were just in awe, you know, and that was it.
Speaker 4: God, the unis like dude, I can't imagine walking off the bus and just feeling like that, like we just look better, we are better. We're going to destroy everything.
Speaker 7: But that was that was that.
Speaker 5: That was that swag at s C for a period of seven eight years and like respectfully, like it's been such a long time, Like I'm just like I'm tired of talking, like, hey, when we did this.
Speaker 4: Because because well, what's what's missing now at SC? Do you think, Carol?
Speaker 5: I think no, all right, I'm going to answer this question. So in my opinion, and I'm not the most educated. I you know, I'm connected to the program. I try and help them in terms of given athletes advice post playing days and you know, how to make sure you set yourself up, not just financially and hire good financial advisor, but actually, you know, be articulate and ideally fluent in the financial language. You know, it's not just about hiring good people to manag your money, it's being able to manage those managers. I think the game of college football, the dynamic, especially with NIL, has changed so fast, and there's some programs like Oregon or Ohio State. Again I'm not I think Michigan. Is Michigan a great NIL like because because I understand Michigan, like they really did a great job with Harbaugh developing three four five year guys. Now they're NIL.
Speaker 4: I think it's like like this year and last year, like the first like two years were really feeling like real, real money going into Okay.
Speaker 5: But you guys didn't win the Natty. Last year. I felt like it was mostly homegrown players. But the game has shifted so much, and I think there are programs that have really like stayed ahead of that, and I don't think SE is that And I blame if I'm gonna blame it, I blame the culture of the school because there's still PTSD from the sanctions, and I think they're very like it's scared of your own shadow. They don't want to do anything without the NCAA saying you can do this, which is like formal opinion letter submit can we do this? While other schools it's not that they're breaking the rules and maybe not even playing by the rules. There are no rules right now, and so there's other schools like we're just gonna do this and like it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. Sc UP until recently has been like no, we need to make sure we ask for permission, so we're always a year or two behind. My hope is that the administration is being more aggressive with NIL and all that. I don't I can't say state put that as a statement of fact. That's just like from what I can tell, like quasi connected to the program?
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Ye, it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: We have my opinion now. I just I think, like I mean strictly from a football standpoint, like x'es and o's. I think it's like a mentality thing. I mean, obviously there's some there was weaknesses in the O line and D line last year. When you've seen you know, Miller Moss getting sacked so much. I don't think he was the problem. They ended up benching him like three quarters of the way through the season. But I think they need some more athletes. But you know, these guys are great. You know that they've been bringing in and you know Lincoln Riley and offensively what Caleb Williams was able to do the last I guess the previous two years.
Speaker 5: They got a really good decordinator.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, it's truly remarkable your top three, but you know that year where they lost to it was a Utah when they should have gone to the playoffs at that time. I don't know if it's just like a because Pete had that that culture, you know, that that hard ass culture, And I don't know if it's just all x's and o's and putting up fifty every game as opposed to you know, do you want a defensive minded head coach or do you want offensive mind a head coach?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think you guys are closer because even though you guys lost what five games this year, they weren't you guys were like one score games most of the time. Yeah, we did.
Speaker 5: I think they're close. Like again, Dan tunneln is the decoordinator came from the Ravens. Like if you just look at the statistical improvement, and respectfully, like me, Clay, my dad, we're on a text chain like sometimes when ST's playing, like.
Speaker 4: We'll be like this defense.
Speaker 5: But this was the first year where like the text messages weren't about the defense, right, So I think the defense is getting better. To Clay's point, they really need bodies, They need the big guys. They always have athletes. Look at the receivers in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Like you know, that's why whenever they play like an SEC team or Big ten, they always get bullied to look at in the trenches, you know, but they'll put up like I said, thirty five, forty two point whatever it is. But it's just that you know, they'll they'll those those teams will run it down.
Speaker 5: And if you look at the old SC teams, like back when Clay and I played, that were that were winning every game. The Reggie's, the lineups, all those guys got the hype. But actually if you look at the guys they put in the league, it was O lineman, D linman linebackers, right, And so I think I'm very optimistic about Lincoln. I think he gets he knows what he has to do. There is a reality in college ball, like you can know what you have to do. You could say, hey, I'm going to go out and do it. But nowadays it's it's money, right, And if you don't have an nil war chest, like you're just not going to be competitive. Like kids don't. Most kids don't sign up for the uniform anymore.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It's like, even if they grew up an SC fan, if they have a big freshman year, they're going to get a phone call from Ohio State saying hey, or Georgia saying like, hey, why don't you come here and I'll pay you a million bucks a year. They're not like, sorry, I'm an SC guy. They're like, they go to SC, how much you're gonna pay? I think I think nil? Well nil. Wise they've figured it out. But like, I don't know, Yeah, college football is better when when SC the Notre Dames, the Michigan's Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Nebraska is in the top twenty two.
Speaker 5: Nebraska speaking in that top twenty five NCAA football is better when Nebraska's you know, nine to four, not six and six.
Speaker 4: Well, every year they've gotten one one game better.
Speaker 2: You guys only beat it because of a passer in appearance call at the end.
Speaker 1: I don't think I watched that. That was a twelve o'clock game.
Speaker 2: You're only probably feel for the propriety. I'm screaming at the TV over BI calls. You guys keep up with.
Speaker 4: College or NFL more like, as far as just enjoying it.
Speaker 2: For me, NFL, yeah, yeah, you're not a big sc guy.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm a huge SEE guy. But I'm just saying, like it's it's hard to you know, with the success I guess the lack of success or what we're accustomed to see in But no, I sit down. My wife knows like Sundays are are my day. Like I worked to about twelve o'clock and around the house cleaning up, you know, making banana red, and then I'm then I sit down clock. Yes, sure, and but no, I really enjoy the NFL as far as watching it, and because I felt like I don't know how it is for you at Lineman you as well, Like I felt like my mind at the end of my career was just so tuned in and natural. They always tell you this, like I was just and I was like, when I went to the Rams, Chris Shulo, who's now the defensive coordinator, he was my linebackers coach, but we might as well have been the same as far as uh, you know, on the same page and being peers and whatnot. And so I just felt like the way I was able to give back teach these guys who were playing behind me at the time, like my mind was just so far advanced. And of course that's the time I'm pulling the plug on you. Now, all I gotta do is sit at the TV and be like, I guys got to do this. But I enjoy the NFL still.
Speaker 4: Dude, I hear what you're saying. With watching the games, that's kind of turns me away from the NFL a little bit more because I'll watch the games and I'll get so caught in the offensive line of what they're doing that I'm not really enjoying it as opposed to I'll watch like college football, whether it be Michigan or any other team. It's like the offices are so different and the talent levels so different, and the mistakes are so much more often, so it's kind of more fun to see these massive, explosive plays, guys being out of their gaps. It's like I enjoy that more. I enjoy watching the mistakes.
Speaker 1: I will say though, like the Who, I don't know if it was like Chargers Texan. That was just to me, that was a background noise game. But like when La Mar comes on and sa Quon, I feel like I tune into the superstar like Jamar Chase Burrow, Like there's guys mahomes who I will watch the whole game start to finish, But I feel like that's just a select maybe you know, eight ten teams there.
Speaker 4: How bad did you want the Bengals to get?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, absolutely, the Bengals are so yeah, they're super every year. They're dangerous. They obviously gave away too many games early on, but the way Burrow played at the end obviously, I mean he won't win MVP, but he, based on his stats very well could and Jamar Chase it was fun to watch.
Speaker 5: I was gonna, yeah, he watches more football than I just obviously close to the game. But I was gonna say most of the most of the sports we get together and watch the UFC, Like yeah, because again with the four kids, the three kids, and then I got my work life. During the week, there's not as much time. So for me to take a Saturday Sunday and park it and say like, hey, you know it's not my job. It wasn't my career the way it is his. So I get that for him. But for me, you know, the deal I have is like, hey, you get the kids to bed on a Saturday night at a thirty, like that's when the UFC comes on. So nor I normally will get together with my brother Casey.
Speaker 1: And like we'll we'll talk about what we would have done differently, how should have defeated You know, I told Taylor when when I first saw Taylor, because I was so like I just, I guess envious of like how close you were to Dana and how you were there. I'm like, man, because in twenty nineteen, when I stayed in Green Bay with my contract up in the air, there was no sports on it this time, and the UFC was this only thing that came on pretty much every week. So I started tuning in and all of a sudden, I see a fighter. I saw a fight three months ago fighting. Oh okay, I remember that guy, and so I probably haven't missed a fight night, a pay per view, you name it, and since twenty nineteen, do.
Speaker 4: You watch this past weekend since he durn Yeah, I watched it. Yeah, dude, maybe the best slate of fights in a long time. There are like three knockouts.
Speaker 1: Well it was. I didn't watch it all. I watched it.
Speaker 2: I watched it.
Speaker 5: I usually I used it six years except wow.
Speaker 1: When I saw when I saw like, oh the main card was, I was like, all right, But then you know there was there was there were some good there were some good fights on it. But I'm looking forward to this weekend coming up here.
Speaker 4: There was this one dude who was just getting pumbled on for a minute, and you thought he was about to get knocked out, and he just threw a straight right in the chain. Dude was out for like a minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw that to the point where like everyone's like clapping here and there was like what's going on here?
Speaker 2: It was nuts.
Speaker 5: We're like that meme you sent me to mean the other day, like that fat guy on a couch with the bob, why did he shoot the single la?
Speaker 2: It makes no sense, dude.
Speaker 4: Those are just fucking like Michael Chandler, He's just what five six just built like a pit bull, and he is terrifying. We had we had a beer Olympics and me and Will are wrestling Shane and Burt and they call for Mike and Mike gets a hold of my heel and I'm like borderline drowning in the pool, Like I'm like praying to God, like please let me up, because it's about to be over for me. He's just they're just different breaths of humans.
Speaker 1: Mike's fun to watch ever since he came on the scene. I remember because just a yeah, I remember him talking. He did like a he backed up one of these fights. I don't know who it was. He was ready to go, and then he fought Dan Hooker and I was like, man, it's good looking, he's articulated, he's champion from whatever it was, and he came over here, had immediate success. But even in his losses, he's fun to watch.
Speaker 2: This is Mike.
Speaker 4: He gets my heel here, watched my head of the setting in. I was freaking out.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even when he loses, he seems to come out on top.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's the only guy who can cut a promo after, you know, losing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was phenomenal that fifth round.
Speaker 2: I'm like, crazy, you almost got him almost.
Speaker 5: I mean it as a compliment. He's like a WWE guy, like in terms of a hype man, and I think other wrestlers, you know, are taking because like, ultimately, what are they there for. They want to win fights, and obviously they have a passion for that.
Speaker 2: It is to make money, right, it's marketability.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he's great in the game of the story that's suddenly I think UFC does better than anybody else. Is like playing into the storylines of the beef between the two individuals. I think that is so money. We had to take on Michigan Ohouse State after Michigan planning the flag, and then the postgame press, the post game like show, they're talking about how there's no place for that in football, and it's like, don't say that, because you know next year going to the game, you're going to show that to get everybody to go watch the game, Like you want these storylines to like, you know, make everybody kind of tune in. The's a couple of guys from s C. You're like, you're not gonna be like, let me go watch Michigan, Ohiose State today you'll probably go turn on you.
Speaker 5: Ohio State wins and plants the flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you want to see that.
Speaker 4: And I'm thinking to myself, we got to get five in a row.
Speaker 5: And so now like Diamond and like, I don't know, maybe I'm different. Like if you don't want them to plant the flag, don't lose. Yeah, Like that's how I love that.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 4: Who do you think I won the national championship?
Speaker 5: Not Ohio State, Ohio State?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I Ohio State's rolling around.
Speaker 5: I think it's tell you I don't like Notre Dame being an sc guy generally speaking, but like, man, I like that coach Marcus Freeman, Like he's.
Speaker 2: It seems like the Bears are gonna interview him.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, that's probably just that's probably just to create but again that that's probably to create leverage to get a better deal with Pete.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Like if you if you like, if you're thinking like and you're like, we like Pete. He has success, he brings energy, We have a good young quarterback. You don't just interview Pete and like, again, Pete's got a great agent. You you bring in some hot candidates. You don't tell him this, but you're just creating leverage to negotiate with peace.
Speaker 2: Business and he's got it. He had to pick up books early.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: No, I remember I got to my my work. The first day I had to YouTube. This is when YouTube like how to tie a tie the night before. My dad was the best dad in the world, but he never had a traditional job. He was an NFL football player straight to being a you know, our youth football coach, and so that transition was very painful.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 5: It took it took years for me to catch up to the you know, I want to you know stereotype the frat boys, Like, who's not just in college? I never I didn't think that I should be preparing for life after football. That was something like after my last game was like a crap, Like what do I do? And on top of that, you know, they just had more. It took me a long time to catch up. That was that was pretty painful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should we hit our tier talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's hit your talk here.
Speaker 2: Talk this week is gonna be best brother athletic families.
Speaker 5: Of all times.
Speaker 2: Math talk explain them how tier talk works. So tier talk is basically your top three. You'll start a tier three. You give a reason. Why are you give a little? You give a few words? Why tier two?
Speaker 1: Tier brothers?
Speaker 2: If you want to give an honorable mention, that's on the table as well.
Speaker 1: Brothers are family.
Speaker 2: Family, We'll go family.
Speaker 1: Will just pla say, I'll do brothers. You guys, brothers. I want to do brothers. So you obviously got paid payt and eli.
Speaker 2: You gotta start at three. Now you gotta start. So here's it.
Speaker 4: You gotta start three, and then you go. You can give an honorable mention if you want, you go honorable mention three two one, and then everyone's gonna be silent. After we're gonna go around the room. Everyone's gonna say one word to describe how they feel about your tier talk.
Speaker 1: So okay, so I'm going three two one three two? Okay?
Speaker 4: So we are we each giving our own opinion, collaborat No, everyone's given their own opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Sorry real quick time out, dude. Is there a list of like or I have to think about off the top of my own.
Speaker 1: Manning, I would go Manning's one, we can work the other way. Manning's one. I would say, the Watts two and then.
Speaker 2: Any sport too.
Speaker 1: Oh now we're doing that? No, no, no, no, I I can't think of many other I mean, I know the Longs had success, the Bosas are obviously Nick's playing well.
Speaker 2: Phil's families. I think Mayweather's got to be in there. But it's brothers or siblings, the Williams sisters.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait are we going l We're doing NFL? Come on you brought.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sorry, well JP back there any sport? Who'd you just tell me?
Speaker 1: You were asking chat? GPT gave a good one?
Speaker 2: What do you give you? Kyle? All right? So a couple because I agree with you. I think one and two is Mannings and then Watts, so three trying to figure out you're one.
Speaker 5: Of the best.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we're doing a whole different way. Yeah, this we'll just do it, all right, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 4: Well I don't. I don't agree with your tier two.
Speaker 5: All right, here we go. You want honorable mention that the Jones family, Arthur Jones, Jones, John j Yeah, okay, I guess, okay, the Jones and and number they're they're tier one in terms of who I don't want to fight, right, all right? Also honorable mention the Gronks. The gronkowskis okay, like they're they had players, But I would say tier three like beyond honor mentioned higher than I would say the Watt family JJ and T JM at their studs, right, But there's no butt to that. It's just if you want a Tier one tier two, I think you got to start talking generationally, like did their dad's play their their grandfathers, like you see what I'm saying. Like, and so tier two is the main because you had Peyton and Eli who are incredible, and Archie and then arch coming up. Tier one is I mean, it's one hundred percent of Matthews most games in NFL history across three generations, like and and what eleven different football players who who played a game in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Some one's still playing for the Jakes. Jakes had one hundred and I think he was drafted before you. Uh, yes he was.
Speaker 4: I remember the show.
Speaker 1: I remember you posted something a long time ago. Yeah, you went down to Atlanta. I don't know. You posted something and then it was funny because my my cousin, Jake's brother had re posted on Instagram. I was a funny little bit, right, there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, well, I mean I thought I was a Falcon, and I remember taking to Jake. We were we were like doing something during draft week, and I was like, Hey, where do you want to go? And I'm thinking, I don't know what I'm thinking. He's like with the Falcons. I was like, I want to to other Falcons too. We kind of kind of looked at each other and then we were cordial, nice. I liked a law He's awesome, great guy. But when that phone rang at six and he was two tables away from me, I was fucking sick.
Speaker 5: I got a question. Yeah, looking back at the careers, if you're at the gym, how would you draft that today?
Speaker 4: Probably take Jake before me. Still, I mean, he's had the longevity. He's eleven years in now. I think I had a higher ceiling. But you can't beat long, Like the best ability is durability.
Speaker 1: He's gonna play another He's gonna play a long Don't you want that? Like the number? I think he's he's right now, he's got the streak for longest.
Speaker 2: He's a Matthew.
Speaker 1: He isn't he hasn't missed the game of things.
Speaker 5: Which gets back to the first question.
Speaker 2: But you would take if you go back to that, it was brothers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well.
Speaker 2: You're the one who even said brothers too, and then your brother brings in the entire family.
Speaker 7: Sounds good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, to go back to that, because I am you guys fourteen, You take Jake second or second or third overall over the Rams, picked over Greg Robinson, and then I probably go six. Actually, probably take Zach Martin because he's in that draft class as well.
Speaker 5: He went to the Cowboys with the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: He's a Hall of Fame. He probably actually goes before Jake. So be like Jake or sorry Zach, Jake than me because I'm obviously I had like a more splash and there's still more time on Jake's career to do that. I mean, I think Bruce didn't make a Pro Bowl till his eleventh year. Bruce he made fourteen, but he like he didn't make it for the like he made the back half square. So yeah, I think, I mean, obviously you take Jake before me for sure? For sure, it makes me six. In it out loud, We'll delete that. Let that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like how throws it in there. Let's think about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, let me ask you this question that we know it's gonna hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we kind of spun this. Yeah. That family. That's a veteran tiertalk moves. Veteran tiertalk. Oh, he's good. He's read a few books. He talks about leverage and everything else. He knew how to spend the entire conversation on us.
Speaker 5: I mostly chat the books and represent that I read them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think when it comes to brothers, though, it's hard to beat the Mannings of the Watts Jones for sure, like you had Chandler played a high level and then his brother John Jones in the UFC as far as the sport of football. But family lean, yeah, bris the Kelsey's l those.
Speaker 1: Guys they can be. I forgot about these.
Speaker 4: Those are both famous, they are both Hall of famers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, there's some good brothers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I put the I put the Kelsey's over the Watts.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, mhm, impact.
Speaker 1: That what I'm saying, like Kelsey zuh. You know, I'm just saying both of them, like.
Speaker 4: Let me put you real quick, swifties, listen, no will be then I'm looking at for you.
Speaker 1: Remember Jason pulling from the center position on like a like a toss, you know, and I'm middle linebacker trying to get out there. That Holy this guy's running sixty yards downfield. Now, I'm saying there stes. But as far as impact every game, you know, like sack calls, fumbles which change the center can't do that, a tight.
Speaker 5: End which gets to the position you play. That's why it's quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quarterbacks gonna be first no matter.
Speaker 5: What offensive tackles and rush It's like quarterbacks number one. Tackles and rush players are two in terms of value to the game.
Speaker 4: I'm with you. I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Safety dead, last last guy.
Speaker 4: It's down there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Take the mccordy brothers out then they're gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unfortunately listen.
Speaker 4: Good brothers though, Yeah, good brothers. Yeah. And they're twins to which kind of gives them an extra little bump.
Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 2: Now. I think the Kelsey's edge them out as far as.
Speaker 1: All pros, Yeah, but I'm talking about the impact.
Speaker 2: Just Jason and Travis both of like seven plus JJ had five.
Speaker 1: Three time defensive player that's yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, are we talk peak because his peak was pretty high up? Yea peak was Yeah, I could debate right there said you didn't say football athlete. If we're talking athletes, I wouldn't put the Mannings potentially in there.
Speaker 2: WHOA, they're they're playing their football players.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying. Yeah, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's like, what's your definition of athletes?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: This is a this is gonna go.
Speaker 2: This has been such a conversational. Who wasn't Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete of our generation. It's like, all right, is he?
Speaker 5: I don't know something. Something tells me if the guy put his mind to it, Michael Jordan would be a good swimmer too. So I feel like I'm Jay.
Speaker 2: Lebron, Lebron and Jordan. I don't need to do what Yeah Sterling and Shannon Sharp.
Speaker 1: But the recentism right now we're gonna harballs.
Speaker 2: The harballs in the coaching realm was who is.
Speaker 4: Your biggest like rival in your mind from the defensive side of the ball, Like when you're rushing the edge, like you look at other guys and be like, I gotta fucking outdo this.
Speaker 1: Guy you're talking about, Like on the defense, like the defensive side where.
Speaker 4: You would watch other people's film and be like, hey, I'm I believe I'm the top edge rusher in the entire NFL. But some people might say this guy is Russian.
Speaker 1: Was man. It's like the All Pro Team shifted and Pro Bowl shifted, Pro Bow states same, but All Pro team shifted every year. You had justin Houston have twenty two sacks, you'd have Jared Allen you have twenty sacks. You'd have DeMarcus Ware with twenty. You know what I mean, It's a Von Miller eighteen. And so it was really difficult to be one of those first team All pros. But honestly, to answer that question, I watched their game and I was like, Okay, what can I take from them? And you just hoped that in bettering your game you would because it was all based on sacks. You know, if you could have right around fifteen sacks, you probably be a first you know, first team All Pro.
Speaker 4: But who is the guy that you were like, did you ever have a guy that you had like in your mind? Nothing like that.
Speaker 1: I just it was all about sacks. Yeah, and I realized, like it's ridiculous, you know, because I could hit a quarterback and and not get a sack all game. But the media, everybody wants to know your sacks. You get above ten sacks, you make a Pro Bowl, you get you know, you're the highest paid athletes. So for me, you know, I had to just embrace that it was all about sacks, you know. And to your point, when I had like forty fifty sixty tackles, like I'd get three tackles a game, you would hope that two would be TfL's wont be a sack, right, and you're all Pro at the end of the year. Oh yeah, and you got to shut down guys like us for sixty plays. Yeah, that's brutal bone, I get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Who's your favorite defensive player you ever played with?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pepper's Peppers Julius. Julius was a man.
Speaker 2: Is he the best you ever played with? Too?
Speaker 1: The best in what regard?
Speaker 2: Just the best, like in your brain looking back, like that's the best defensive player I ever played with.
Speaker 1: Well, I also played with Charles Woodson too. Charles was probably a greater playmaker, but Julius athletically physically could take over a game at his position because he's what we talked about pastors or he disrupts the quarterback every play.
Speaker 2: How about AJ Hawk?
Speaker 1: Just them? I remember when I first met AJ. I remember when I first met agent. I was doing like you know, I got draft and they brought us in and I saw him walking down the hallway. I always let his hair down too, and I walked up to him like such a nervese, like a J Hawk. Clay Matthews like shook his hand and knowing AJ now.
Speaker 5: Like hey, you're like, I'm like both long hair, like I think we're supposed to be friends exactly the best.
Speaker 1: Once, did you guys see the game where he gave double birds to his position coach, Winston mass So.
Speaker 5: He thought he was being cut or he thought he wasn't being re signed, right, No, no, no, he had a great year.
Speaker 1: Well I I yeah, I'm not sure what happened, but he gave he gave double middle fingers to his coach and then he got like a sack on like a blitz. And then like this is when I was still involved with Twitter and social media, and everyone's like, that's so disgraceful. Matthews, you should be fine people coming down on AJ. You got the sack, wasn't me? He is a man, though, I.
Speaker 2: See Clay just tweet Hey that wasn't me, that was a j Hawk tags him.
Speaker 1: Now, I just I just filmed another commercial, that's all. Hey, you go right there? Okay? It was a single single.
Speaker 4: Bird, single bird, God something about the middle finger dudeeah, I think so hard.
Speaker 5: I think he was upset because they were taking him off a third downs. It was his contract year and we were hanging in his house and he had made a comment like, yeah, I don't think they're gonna bring me back, and so he's like fucking them out. Well, guess what he had. He had a great year and they signed him to like another three year deal.
Speaker 2: That makes it even better.
Speaker 4: So where do you finish on tier talk?
Speaker 2: I think this could be one where we throw we clip out all the brother names that we said, We let the we let the fans aside, We let the crowd decide. Get everybody else in the picture. Yeah, yeah, we can roll with his for the clip because I thought he had a good one. I thought he had a good one.
Speaker 4: We can do uh.
Speaker 2: Our twisted questions, we have one for each of you guys. Our Twisted question is brought to you by Twisted Tea Twisted Tea is a refreshing hard ice tea maybe with the rupert tea and five percent five percent alcohol, full flavor and very refreshing twisted d go. Twisted tea goes down smooth, so smooth that there's no carbonation, which makes it easy to drink all day long. Twisted tea feels fun and then celebrate it's extreme fandom on game day and is the perfect alcohol beverage four game day, whether tailgating in the parking lot, watching a game at a bar, watching with friends at home, Twisted Tea is there to turn up your game day, keep it twisted with the boys and grabby refreshing twisted tea today. I have one for Clay. I want, I need, I need it. I yearned for it. I need the most psychotic Ray mal Luga story man psychotic.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, he was obviously all this highlights on his hits. You can see, man, we had this and we had this linebacker on our teams, a five star recruit. I think he came in the same year as Ray or after. His name was Luther Brown. Luth is awesome, and but Ray was on the team at the time, and something something popped off somewhere. You know, I wasn't privy to it. I was at home doing my homework. And uh so the next day at practice or meetings, this guy shows up, you know, Luther, and he's got glasses on in meetings and and Luther's jacked I'm talking. He's the guy who cut the frill on the bottom of his shirt. Abs always hang out like someone you would mess with. I think Pete might have made him take his last suffer. He had to just swollen eye like all black and blue. Like what happened Ray, Ray happened. I don't know what happened, but he might have mixed you know, something in there. But something happened and Luther got popped.
Speaker 4: And but locker room, no, I.
Speaker 1: This was outside of the locker room. This wasn't at the locker room at the time. It just it just.
Speaker 2: I never you never did anything.
Speaker 1: He just didn't ask a questions, just carried on.
Speaker 4: Was y was pe reacts when he saw the glasses come off.
Speaker 2: I mean it was as usual.
Speaker 4: Corner getting jacked up.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think they just let him fill and p He probably said, hey, you got a bob and weave?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Yeah, he took everything to stride. But yeah, that that was just like where it's your own teammate, your own linebacker, You're like, all right, man, this guy's crazy.
Speaker 2: He's crazy, and where nobody just says anything to him because you know how crazy he is. Yeah, it's like a Nebraskan Dominicancu. We had a practice Saturday morning and he knocks out an old lineman because I guess he was holding, and Dominicin just palm to the back of the head drops him right there in front of everybody. Nobody says a word to Sue. We just like move it up ten yards and continue. It was a scrimmage.
Speaker 4: No, she just moved up to while ambulance is coming on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're like sit in the back. Holy shit, gonna say a new guys in the back.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah wild.
Speaker 2: Did that linebacker stay at USC?
Speaker 1: Yeah he was there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, he says, I know there was a guy coming out named Arthur Brown. I didn't know if he was he stopped now.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Luther, Luther Brown was still on special teams and whatnot. I think he played a little bit. But yeah, when you nobody messed with lutheror nobody messed with Ray.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody mess with Ray.
Speaker 4: I do I have like a sideways question. It's not necessarily towards the question, but like seeing Aaron Rodgers and obviously twenty twenty happens, he's on his eyewashing, Like, was he the same guy at the packers as you see him as now? Was he always like this level of like trying to be enlightened, trying to have more in depth conversations in depth.
Speaker 1: Thought, Uh, not as much as the time. I think he probably has embraced that more now than ever, probably around the COVID when it seemed like everybody was coming down on him. But he's always been, you know, a free spirit, free thinker, never went along with the norm. It's just that because he was the you know, the franchise quarterback, you got to be the Drew Brees, the you know, the the Peyton mannings like the raw raw guy. And you know, obviously Aaron kind of marches to the beat of his own drum. I've always said he's like Kobe Bryant. There's you know, whomever is the opposite of Kobe. Kobe was kind of like he was just a killer. But he's not going to help anybody who doesn't seek help. You know, he's not going to be that raw, raw guy. And so I've always equated that to him. He's like Kobe, like, if you you know, come to me if you want hell. That's why Davante Jordi, the James Jones, these guys, he's receivers who had so much success. It's because they bought in. They got close to him, and they were on the same page. So, man, I got nothing but love for Aaron and and you know, hopefully it's I don't know if he's coming back next year or what that out, Yeah, it would. I'd like to see him come back, just to end on a high note, just because twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love to see him. Yeah, I'd love to see him get a little bit of the revenge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, come the Titans, Aaron, come here on the Titans for a little bit. Did you uh, you guys always get along? Did you guys ever butt heads at all? If it's a ship talking at all? Third down period?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well we did all that, but now we never we never butted heads. Beating in that basketball oh man. Yeah, speaking of that, that that Florida that Florida Pro Bowl back. Now, we played a three on three. It was it was Kyle, my younger brother, Casey, and me Versu Aaron, I think one of his brothers and one of his buddies at the time, three on three at the down in Miami, Miami wherever it was. I got real physical, Yeah, I got real I fact, yeah, it got real physical, and we ended up winning.
Speaker 5: Well said a pick on one of his buddy. So it's kind of like a Matthew's brothers versus Rogers bros. Now the youngest is of Jordan. He wasn't there but Luke Aaron, and then they had a buddy who was filling in for Jordan's you you knocked him.
Speaker 2: It was screening.
Speaker 5: He was like like eyes like like you know that grunt sound. He finished the game. But it was a competitive game obviously, Like even though he's a quarterback, Aaron's a freakish athlete, you know, like you I guess, especially earlier on in his career, ran lot more. But he's a great athlete. His brother's great athlete. Obviously, we were we were doing okay, and it was like to eleven, but then like we got to eleven, but you have to win by two and then they got to twelve and it was it was heated and and finally, you know, we put him away with a little jump hook in the paint. And Aaron, uh, he doesn't take losses very well, it turns out. So he got grabbed the ball and like he kicked the ball, is still sailing and walks off and like, I don't think he's ever talked to.
Speaker 4: Me since.
Speaker 1: You saw him in New York on the streets. But yeah, like that's the competitor he is though. I mean, like that was a funny, fun anecdotal.
Speaker 5: So for me, I didn't have that career. So like beating Aaron in a game, like, I'm gonna remember that. It's cool. Like I don't go around telling people the story. But like you asked, but Aaron, like he's got a million bigger moments in his head he should be thinking about, like when he won the MVP of the Super Bowl. But I know he knows that, and I know he holds onto it.
Speaker 4: He'll have that forever, He'll always have his number. And I was like, hey, you guys were butt heads or anything like that? You did whisper that was that pickups part of.
Speaker 5: It is like when I see her and like it's cool. So like if I if we say this story, he's be like, hey man, I remember that time he went on busting and you talked ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, he'll have it holstered.
Speaker 4: Literally if he ever sees this clip, we'll have a basketball in him at all times. Yeah, he'll.
Speaker 5: He's gonna hold against for sure.
Speaker 4: But like you got, you probably got the Achilles, like you get less mobile, you'll probably be able to handle them respectfully.
Speaker 5: I had him back then too. Now he's really.
Speaker 2: Where he's there. I love your dog. We have a harder twisted question for you have a business opportunity to buy and build a dream stadium for a destination Bowl game outside of the US. Where are you building and why?
Speaker 1: Which on college?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well all right, so I got unpacked only one so I'm building. And then if I'm building a bowl games.
Speaker 1: You too, assholds, I'll get you best friends over there. You ask, like a destination Bowl game? Who wrote this question?
Speaker 9: First off, there's the Bahamas Balls, the Bahamas Bowl, there's the Pinstripe Bowl. Then just say yeah, yeah, you caught himself though, he's like god damn, it's.
Speaker 4: Already ascility right now.
Speaker 2: It's there for Kyle talking circles around us and we're talking college football.
Speaker 1: This is such a lame question, That's what I'm not going It's a lame question.
Speaker 5: Well, I I yeah, the same question. I saw the same question. I was like, well I don't really understand, all right, So I'll show you how I approached the question. So I go, Okay, a bowl game. But I'm building a stadium for a bowl game, So what's the motivation of building a probably to turn a profit? So now I have to think about, like, okay, what city has a built in fan base that likes football outside the country? So I got to do my due diligence. The NFL has probably already done it, and they tend to pick London in Mexico City. So now I'm already narrowing on those two. Is it going to be London? Is it going to be Mexico City? Those are two of the biggest m s as on the planet. They already have some built in fan base because the NFL has been laying the groundwork. And then I would have to look at the economics, like am I going to own this stadium? What can I lease it in addition to the Bowl game, can I lease it out to others?
Speaker 4: And so hell ya?
Speaker 5: And then so then I'm gonna get to safety and security because people won't travel unless they feel safe. Right, So I'm probably not being an expert because I've been to both those cities. I'm probably gonna go London.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like I like the answer. I think you missed a key spot though, Cobo saying Lucas. It's a genius destination spot not very far away. Everyone wants to vacation there. You're thinking about Bowl games, You're gonna get teams. Fans of those teams are going to want to travel with the bull games. Where you want to go? Beach location, want to do a little marlin fish and they will catch the boys. Put a couple points on the board. That's where That's where you want to go. Right there, head over to mango deck, see a what T shirt contests, push up competition, have a little fun, then being bamboom. You had a great time. I agree.
Speaker 5: I think I touched on that though. If it was just a Bowl game, fine, But the economics of building a stadium is so expensive that you actually have to lease the stadium out all year round. This is why the Titans are getting rid of the outdoor stadium and putting an indoor because just leasing it in the summer to Taylor Swift and the Titans, it doesn't make money.
Speaker 2: So how am I?
Speaker 5: How am I going to have an event in Cabo like four out of seven days a week the way I could in a city the population of London or Mexico City, London being fifteen million, Mexico City.
Speaker 2: So me and Claire soon, Oh yeah, Hurricane boom.
Speaker 4: Yeah, London definitely is the move, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd love to change my answer.
Speaker 2: Doctor, Shall we.
Speaker 4: The beginning?
Speaker 7: What else? How are you guys as a little league youth coaches competitive?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I'm I'm coaching now. I coached the eighth grade team on the street football, and I would say our kids are very disciplined, and they're running schemes that are that are probably more advanced than most most eighth grade kids.
Speaker 1: Clay, you're a little younger, Yeah, our five years old?
Speaker 2: Is he watching him? As a head coaches? He get after the parents as he get.
Speaker 5: After Let me all right, so my kids are old? No, got I got to serve it up because my kids are older and I. It runs in the family. There's a there's a there's a hot bloodedness. I would argue, we're not on the field, we're very quiet, very stoic, pretty reserved, like borderline social anxiety disorder, and so, but when you get on the field, it changes. And so as a coach, he's come to some of my kids games to support as a good uncle and and my brother Casey as well. And I get I get hot, I work, I work the refs right and occasionally threatened the other coaches with violence, and so there's been a lot of judgment from him to me over the years, like dude, you're embarrassing, Like.
Speaker 1: I can't get really embarrassing. I sat by him one time and I had to back up in the stands because I was embarrassed I was doing the ref The ref threatened to throw him out of a third or fourth grade girls basketball and I was like, it's like twelve to ten, one more outburst from you. I had to leave. I had to.
Speaker 5: Go hard to go home. So anyway, a lot of judgment to where I'm like, you know what, I really got to look at myself, like I got to get better, I got to be a better person, like I have to not you know, get that fired up. And I'm like, yeah, you know, he's right, Like I got I got to grow up. And then this guy I go to his kid, Colton, who's probably four at the time, his first game. I'm there to support and like, as soon as the game pops off, I see Clay start chirping at the other coaches start getting real like aggravated jerky motion and like kind of chippy, and I'm like, Okay, I feel better about myself.
Speaker 2: Did that not happen?
Speaker 1: That didn't Now. I was very cool about it, but I did throw some sarcasm in some remarks, some passive remarks because he had a kindergarten team. We're playing with a pre k and he's blitzing every play like that, have some sportsmanship. I know your team's better, you're going to win, but have some sportsmanship. I'm about sportsmanship and I didn't get that way. Yeah, so what do we do the next year? We just ran the table and one of the you know, the kindergarten championship.
Speaker 4: So this is just lessons.
Speaker 5: What was more satisfying the kindergarten championship of the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you what, No, I don't know. I don't know. You know how how old you guys kids are. But I finally felt that feeling that I was missing from the football field when I got to coach my kids again, kind of living through them. They talk about that because we won our first game like thirty four to thirty one, and I just my stomach like I was, I was just in k nots like I was, like I was with the I was with him. He's five years old, right, it shouldn't matter, but it does. I'm a competitive But the Super Bowl was cool too. That was actually a blur. That was my second year. I didn't I didn't Maximi, I didn't Kapali. I was like off the field, like, no picture, We're gonna win like five, oh yeah, fifteen and one. We got the lose to the Giants. Next year Kaepernick runs. It was just like, I mean, a super Bowl thing's hard to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Joe Tyreek Hill he said he didn't make the playoffs for the first time in his career. He's got a he's got to go a different team now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: That Jake was playing for the Falcons. They were at what twenty eight three in the fourth quarter to the Patriots and they had that collapse. It was heartbreaking, and I was talking to Clay and you know, we're chatting it and I was like, hey, you talk to Jake and he's like, yeah. You was like, I'm gonna give him some time. This was a couple of days after. I was like, what do you say. He's like, you know, he handled pretty well. He's like, you know, hey, it's tough loss. It breaks your eye, but like, listen, we're young team, got Matt Ryan, We're gonna be back. We're gonna be out this thing. Multiple times in Clay's like, no, we ain't. No. It spoke to just how hard it is to get back, even if you have the same exact team, and you know, which really leads into just how great the Mahomes and the Bradys are and all that two quarters.
Speaker 4: Away from go to the Super Bowl game nineteen Chiefs because we're taking it to the Chiefs taking and we beat him earlier that year too, and then Mahomes he don't have the same forty times he does like some little forty yards scamper on two minutes. We can't back, you can't what's going on? And he just scored. They end up going up at half never looked back. Brutal. I hate him.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Since we have mom, should we do our pet peeves with them?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I mean you guys got time, right, yeah, all time right?
Speaker 1: I mean, look at my I don't even know where my phone is.
Speaker 2: It's been a we say it every week, but I've had so much fun on this podcast. Let me pull this out, let me find it. Here we go our pet peeves brought to us by Dove Men's. As you prepare the host game day celebrations, what are some possible whole body odor related issues you may encounter that make you less confident in your hosting duties? Are you afraid to take off your shoes when you're in your friend's house? A little getting nervous? You're team is down at halftime? Tackle whole body odor with Dove Men Plus Care Whole Body do O this whole body. This whole body deal defends against all your odor zones from pits listen to this one Kyle, to private parts to feet, and it's so long lasting with seventy two hour odor protection. Fine Dove Men Whole Body do o at Walmart today.
Speaker 4: Sweat my ass off. I'm gonna need some of this after I'm a sweaty boy. Right now, this is.
Speaker 2: Ultimately just like a little complaint session. We just we talk about what a pet peevevar has been of ours has been recently. One that's off the top of my head is my wife always tells me to turn off the light in the pantry, and it just it triggers me because it's like, I'm fucking I'm gonna go back in there at some point and snack on something. Why do I have to turn the pantry light off every time? Nate Bargati has an incredible bit. He's like, what are we sending a we saving a nickel for? Like, how much are we actually saving? Turn it off lights in the house.
Speaker 1: You have a door on your pantry, Yeah, you can get one of those press button ones where you just open the door, it turns on, and close it and they'll turn it off.
Speaker 4: Holy shit, look at that?
Speaker 2: Can I just vent right now?
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's not like a woman. You're not looking for advice, You're just venting, all.
Speaker 4: Right, find a solution, will Yeah, it's a terrible pete all right, Who's gonna go next, did.
Speaker 5: You I got the opposite. I'll tell you my pet Beeve. A second is my wife will leave the lights on, so instead of complaining, I just put in neutron lights in the house and you can just swipe from an app off off. So have your wife look into that. So I'll tell you my pet Peeve. I'll tell you my pet beeve is is political text messages, You guys get moved lots. So all right, So I got put on the Republicans, the Democrats, the Radical Bernies, like I'm getting fifteen to twenty text messages a day from every political party. I got put on some lists and I can't unsubscribe. It says like, first of all, it says put stop two end to take yourself off. Then it's like do you put your stop and then as the two in the end or do you have to spell it out? But no matter how many times I do that, I think when I actually reply like unsubscribed or stop to end, it just it just actually it just actually says, hey, this is.
Speaker 1: A real number, ladies.
Speaker 5: And I don't know whether it's AT and T or these parties. If anybody knows, could you help me out take me off these fucking lists. Man, you don't need the information, and I'm getting hit from every side.
Speaker 1: Mine's just toilet paper that's put on the roll upside down. I'm not a big fan of that. Like political messages suck, but like I hate when have it upside down because you gotta hold it and then rip it as opposed to just one quick swipe like that. It's very it's really good, you know what.
Speaker 5: I never and now moving forward, I will notice this the rest of my life and be more aggravated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you should be thank you never wanted dangling. My pet peeve is to my children who want to take every word literally. Like if I tell them, hey, please don't do this, and then they don't, they do the thing I tell them not to do, and then I explain to them conversation they have they say they don't remember. But when I say the words that I said, and I add or subtracts when word, they'll actually be like no, no, no, you said this too. That pisses me the fuck off.
Speaker 1: I do not like that.
Speaker 4: So kids, you're not gonna see this clip. Tell your kids to stop doing that.
Speaker 1: That's how my kids are, guys. It's it's it's you know, eight o'clock, it's time to go upstairs. Garry for bet, I'll be like seven fifty Like Dad, it's seven fifty eight. We don't need to go up I'm like like drags from Guardians or the Galaxy.
Speaker 5: How about nothing? How about when you know your kids remember every one time you you commit to something, but they don't. Like they're like, Dad, if I do this, I'll clean up my room, I'll do my homework. But they never remember that. But if one time you say, hey, if you do this, you can you know, play games or get a cookie, They're like, you said this, you said this. They memorize it, but they never remember what they said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like dude.
Speaker 4: My kids will be like I'll tell my daughter, hey, make sure you do this today, and then at the end they I'm like, hey, did you do this? Like no, I forgot. I was like you need to remember, and she's like tell me how I remember. I don't fucking know. Just do it, Just do it because I don't know my daughter, I ask you to do this right.
Speaker 2: My daughters too. She'll leverage the thing and then not do not follow up with the deal, Like I'll have her shake my hand. I'll be all right, this is a deal. You gotta shake my hand to shake my hand. I might give her a piece of a cookie to finish your dinner. Then she won't finish the dinner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because their emotions, it's chaos. They're emotional terrorists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta hold that cookie over their head till the dinner. What you gotta do, no question, dude.
Speaker 2: Now I said it. I'll just set it far enough away to where she can't get it. She can see it and be like, you will get this cookie, but you've got to eat five more bites.
Speaker 4: Another one. Another one, dude, is we will like every night before bet it's like, hey, five minutes before by the time I have to give them the notice that in five minutes we will be going to sleep. But once that five minutes is up, they also have like a routine of like having a nighttime snack or having this and they know when I say five minutes, you've got five minutes. However, when I get to the end of five minutes ago, okay, bedtime, then they want to put out the do nick time snack? You said we do this, You said we do that. It's like brother, you had five minutes, right, You remember when I said that we could have got that done and they don't and then I end up betting the knee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, what are the two times of the day where kids are the most difficult. It's like waking him up and putting him to bed, Like when you work that that's what you got. Like I see him in the morning, I see him at night, and like those are the two most aggravating times a week. And I'm like, man, who are these kids? They're so pleasant, they're so nice, but like during the week, I'm like, God, this is frustrated.
Speaker 2: You get to bed, it's prutal.
Speaker 5: It's a war of attrition.
Speaker 2: You either take that dress off or Daddy's gonna have to take that dress off. And I promise you right now you're going to be very frustrated. I know you've learned the one frustrated. You'll be very frustrated and sad and mad if dad has got to walk over there.
Speaker 5: Let me give you some elder advice. When you get to four kids, you let them sleep in that dress. You're like, Noah, yeah, whatever you want. Yeah, Like you realize you don't have unlimited energy and there's only so many battles, and like I gotta win the toothbrush battle. You know, I got to win the homework battle.
Speaker 4: So I let them.
Speaker 5: I give them the dress battle, like, no sleep in that dress.
Speaker 2: That's a small way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I feel right. Sometimes it gets ticky t.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, oh we got to worry about right now is toothbrush? Get your can close off.
Speaker 1: Put them in the laundry.
Speaker 5: That's a rookie. That's rookie ball, right.
Speaker 2: No, I gotta dance. I gotta spin and she'll start singing and just spinning and like all you gotta wait till the ceremony is over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Taylor, I'll go back. One of the things in my line of work, you meet with a lot of In commercial real estate, you meet with a lot of older people, and part of their decision making as it relates to real estate is legacy, like do I want to leave these assets to my kids? Do I want to sell and do something different? And and why this is relevant to to we spoke about it early on, is is they end up like kind of reflecting on their life often is like gosh, like I you know, oftentimes real estate, I wish I bought a different building, I wish I bought more of these or whatever, and that conversation leads to I wish I did and or regrets. It's it's a weird dynamic in commercial real estate brokerage. And I'll tell you I have. I've been in living rooms and office buildings and conversations with people who are nearing the end of their life, and I hundreds thousands of times I say, you know, I wish I had more kids. I've never met someone who said I wish I had less. So if you're thinking about having three, just do it.
Speaker 2: Man, did you just want aid me? You?
Speaker 5: Just you?
Speaker 4: And the podcast the way it started that was incredible.
Speaker 5: This is just my experience. Just go for it. You're never going to regret the kids you have. Yeah, okay, unless they're really bad.
Speaker 4: In his face because you were like, it's so well worded. You speak good, you speak real good, you speak good. Yeah, top, I'll have another kid.
Speaker 5: If you really are the attraction, you're never going to be like man, like, you're right, I wish I had less, but I am.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy before my life's at right now. I enjoy it. I don't care for diapers. I don't care about that. I enjoy the beginning part, but the process, I'm not in love with the process. I need to get back in love with the process of having a kid.
Speaker 5: Look you, your family is like a business. You gotta scale, You gotta hire more, hire, hire someone to change.
Speaker 4: I got, I got land that needs working, goats, I.
Speaker 5: Got, I got fifty acres. You got like two hundred, man, trust me, it's cool.
Speaker 4: Thirteen. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I'm saying I get it like I I I got sick.
Speaker 4: Bro, Yeah, you gotta you got, you gotta orchard. I got a state. It sounds like that's sick. Two hundred acres, yeah, out there? And leapers, aren't you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Bro boy?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Nice? Nice? What's with all packers guys moving to uh Nashville? What's the deal? It's coming out of territory.
Speaker 1: I just I think we were just close when we played while we had success. Now we're just just sticking together. Honest. I think that's why I love it.
Speaker 2: That is awesome.
Speaker 1: But at the end, you know, you want to wrap this up. I can see you taking those deep breaths a lot.
Speaker 4: But like the culture, well, I'm sweating because it's hot.
Speaker 1: But but this is what was so and I guesaid, this is what was so great about our team while we had so much success, is that draft and developed guys played seven, eight, nine, ten years there. It wasn't like you were you know, some of these teams where they're bringing in free age. We hardly ever brought in free age. Maybe we did need to do that to get over the hum but ultimately we had such success because we had that core nucleus of guys and draft and development. Yeah, and I think that's why you see, you know, you got Mason Crosby and his family out here, Randall Cobb, Baktiari. Obviously we moved out here, got some land, but he's got he's got land all over the world, so who knows where he's gonna, you know, cultivate. But yeah, I mean it's I think we just all like being close to each other and our families are so connected. From the time we spent in Green Bay.
Speaker 4: Dude, you brought up a guy. We love him, David bat Just by the way, let's give a run a plus for Dave. Just had a new kid. Actually, yeah, I saw that, Desmond. Yeah, Yeah, how's uh do what I was like the ultimate locker room guy.
Speaker 1: Dave was like from the moment he got there to where he finished, I mean, just complete one aid. He talks to Corey Linsley about this, Like, Dave when he got there, had his head down and whatnot. Then he got he got a little taste of success and whatnot, and then he just be came boch tr d boch. You know, just like just as you know sixty nine King Dinner for two. You know, like he became a character. But I love him. I just text him yesterday obviously when he had his uh, his boy and whatnot. But we stay in touch. Our parents are close with his parents, and I know his siblings and whatnot. I love him. He was a amazing player. It's such a shame that his uh time there and potentially in the league came to an end with uh good right there with his knee injury. Because I told im, I text him one year he had gotten his second or third All Pro so you're on your way to the Hall of Fame and you know, but listen, that's a that's a separate conversation about you know, financial security and getting your money, and fans don't agree with that. But he's a stud loved him, still love him. But he's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Remember we had him at my house before the draft. He was coming out of Colorado and he wasn't a big it's not a recruit, a big prospect in terms of like a first round guy.
Speaker 2: We had him down.
Speaker 5: You guys came down the beach and I was just chatting with him. I was like, Hey, what are you thinking? Like how's it going. He's like, you know, I'm just really eager to get an opportunity. I hope to get drafted mid round, like you know, make a team. Improved myself, like it wasn't a first round pick where it's like if you're not going number six, you're pit you're pissed right and and an incredible career I meant, But I I got to spend more time with his brother Eric. You guys hung out with Eric. I think we've been around hung out with Eric. That's a different level of energy, like just just.
Speaker 1: Eye contact, like uninterrupted eye contact, you know. Yeah, his dad car CYR. Yeah, dude, Dave is so awesome.
Speaker 4: And Frankie too. Frankie is all time. She can she can get after it now now she is fun. Tell all you people listening on the audio version of this podcast. I want to talk about something very near and dear to my heart, and that's Lucy. Lucy is the obvious choice for true nicotine pouch connoisseurs. That's why they're the official nicotine pouch partner of Barstool Sports. Lucy Pe you hear that? That's well content just flicking a top can of a Lucy Lucy pouches. Hey, Taylor, how high do they go up? They'll have to twelve milligrams and strength, Boys and girls. That's some good stuff right there. And they have a great, unique shape that feels amazing in your lip. Lucy Breaker is the only pouches with the hydration capsule inside. Let him hear it? What does that do? Each Breaker contains a hydration capsule that you can crack open with your teeth before tossing it in your lip. The capsule releases a burst of flavor and helps release nicotine faster, for an experience that you cannot find it in any other pouch. I'm gonna tell you this right now. I understand. Sometimes you're at the gas station, you see a lot of things, those nicotine pouches. They'll just they'll get the job done for you. But once you've had Lucy, you're not gonna want anything else in your pocket. If you want Lucy Taylor, where do I find it? I'm gonna tell you right now. Get Lucy ship straight to your door. Literally, you don't have to leave your house. Visit Lucy dot Co. Forward slash bussing and use promo code busting. That's BUSSI in to get twenty percent off your first order, subscribe for their fifty percent off and shipping is always free. Lucy product. Before I say this one thing right here, I'm gonna put you a little game espresso four milligrams. That's my that's mine of choice.
Speaker 2: Incredible now lowie decies yep.
Speaker 4: Disclaimer disclaimer. Lucy products are for adults of legal age. Every orders age of verified warning. This probuk contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical. Let's get back to this episode. A yah, babyfaceby what how did that come about?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 1: So Josh, Josh sitting in TJ Lang and obviously David were huge Pitch Perfect fans, and I have to admit I hadn't watched it at the time, or maybe I had. It was just you know, just just logged it away, and so they were always reaching out. They were dming the actors in it and the director and I'm forgetting their names right, still trying to dat or possibly, but so no, they I think one of them said like, hey, if you ever need you know, what do they call the background people? And so Elizabeth Banks is her name. She had reached out and said, hey, you know, my husband's a huge NFL fan. He's you know, the director of this and our co director, and we want to get you guys in. So Dave can He's like, oh, she responded, bullshit, Like they're going to send over the script. So it's remember the script, thinking we might have like one or two It was like four to six pages of like lines, dances, choreography and whatnot. So I think we went down to Baton Rouge or one of these Louisiana cities and filmed it over like two or three days. And I'm telling you it was it was so nerve wracking just do it because it was it's so out of our element. You know, we played with a helmet on and you're one of a team, but you know, having a dance, we really had to embrace it.
Speaker 5: Did a great job. I swear, like more people know you from that than Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well nowadays it used to be football. Now there's like pitch perfect. I'll take it.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you like Clay Clay Clay had gotten big, you know, he was all especially in the NFL. But when he did, I was like, damn, that guy looks big. Like I was like, I can go and do some curls. I was like doing curlsy and and cheeseburg.
Speaker 4: When you want when you go into wardrobe, did you make the decision to figure sleeves off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was me. So they had me and it's in fact, I got a lot.
Speaker 5: Now question day.
Speaker 4: That's nuts.
Speaker 1: That's that's like June July, like like yeah, a couple of push ups before absolutely. Yeah. So so I looked at the script and they had me in there, and I go, what if we what if we cut off my sleeves and like, what if we can rip them off? And I went and they were they were receptive to it. So I I haven't cut it off and they had little magnets on it and I was wearing a washer. They had me take it off and we did a couple of things, and they just they just they ripped it off, and.
Speaker 5: How many how many roles did you do before that was?
Speaker 1: This is the end of the off season, so I was peak. So I pulled my all.
Speaker 4: The July body compared to the January body. Her hands gone, yeah, this is brutal July.
Speaker 1: That's all the thirst picks for my wife were in there. Now, now I put a sleep with a shirt on.
Speaker 4: You do you want to tell me your Delanney story?
Speaker 2: Delanny Walker? Yeah, So Delaney had broke his leg. Delanney was out all year long. We're going on, you know, we're at the end of the season and it's December and Delaney's in the hot tub fixing the rehab, and we go in, you know, to warm up for practice. So I get in there and Delaney's like, damn, come you let yourself go. You stop working I was like, what, damn? Why you gotta say you got the tight you got the tight tights on, I got the muffin top.
Speaker 1: You said you.
Speaker 2: Stopped working out. I was like, all right, I guess I'll just join you guys in this hot tub and have some good advicees before I go out to practice. Just thinking that I just wanted to kill myself in that moment.
Speaker 1: Well, there's nothing worse. I we brought in like a freeze halfway through the season. One time, its like forgive me. It was like a nobody you know, and he comes up. I'm like, damn, Claire, I thought you were a lot bigger. I was like, I am, it's just like week eight and I can't work out like I was. I just like went home, like because that's the one thing if you talk to like for me, I don't know how this is with you guys, but somebody says like, man, you're looking like trim or skinny or something when they're trying to give you a compliment, that would just mess with my head. I'm like, no, I look good, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: I would mess with them to people say damn cud it is holiday season.
Speaker 5: I'll mess with them in the office like if somehow we're you know, just button has to be like hey, man, you're looking good like you cutting weight, like you're looking real thin, and like, Wiries, what do you mean?
Speaker 7: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: You know? I wish I didn't wiry? Oh ship, oh ship, Yeah, yeah's got it. He's prepped hearing him talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a little text.
Speaker 5: I have a Nashville business journal. And then I have another interview with a designer from New York. What's your name, Rebecca Nice?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, this has been so much fun, really a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did you get some time come to UFC fight.
Speaker 2: Let's get out there like this one UFC fight. Get the boys together.
Speaker 4: Yea, what I'm saying some fun, But you're.
Speaker 2: Saying my fault. I thought you meant like go out to Vegas, That's what I'm saying. Oh, I was thinking, like we're here in Nashville, like we just get ye lit UFC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can do that as well.
Speaker 4: Able to go over to you guys as five thousand acres. Well, we'll all sit in different spots, your shirt.
Speaker 5: Shirts space, and we'll all have our own couch because this is like super close. This time we had some bigger ones.
Speaker 4: We'll figure it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be fun, all right, boys, Hey, big huns, Donny kiss the subscribe, make sure you are leaving comments.
Speaker 4: See you.
Speaker 2: Hey, that was fun.
Speaker 9: That was