Speaker 1: Hey, it's Delilah. Thank you for stopping by. I have put together some of my favorite radio moments here to share with you on our daily podcast. Are you a little stressed out? Maybe your mom or a dad, Maybe you're a single mom or dad. Parenthood brings such joy. There's nothing in the world, nothing that compares to the joy I feel loving my kids. But it also brings stress. And when that stress is complicated by a lack of funds, by a lack of time, and you feel guilty, guilty, guilty, all the time. I hope this show helps to relieve some of that stress, some of that guilt, and helps you connect in a very real way with your kids. Hi, good evening, Welcome to the Delilah Show. Who is this, hike Calima?
Speaker 2: It's Aamara.
Speaker 1: How are you Amara? I am wonderful. How are you?
Speaker 2: I am doing good? You can't complain?
Speaker 1: Well, you could, but it wouldn't do any good.
Speaker 2: Right right. I was calling because I was hoping you can help me. I well, I just had a baby three months ago, and I just have had some emotional problem and I've been taking it out on my fiance and I just was hoping you could dedicate a song. We both listened to you every single night, and he's at work and he's not here, and we just love. Things off on a bad note and I was hoping you can play a song that might, you know, help me sing better.
Speaker 1: Have you talked to anyone to see if you are dealing with postpartum? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a therapist. I'm definitely taking the route and I'm trying. I just feel like sometimes I'm not the nicest person, and he doesn't deserve and he's a really good man and he works really hard for us, and I just sometimes my path and my trauma tends to really kind of take a hold of me, and I just I want him to know I love him. I don't want to lose him because of my craziness.
Speaker 1: Amara, You're not crazy, because crazy people don't recognize that they've gone through trauma. They don't recognize how it's impacted them. They don't have any self awareness. They're just crazy. Yeah, you have been traumatized, and you probably have PTSD and it doesn't just go away.
Speaker 2: You said it perfectly.
Speaker 1: You're doing all the right things, so cut yourself a brak. It's good you're apologizing, you're owning your behavior. Now, I'm going to ask you to make a vow to me, a promise to me, because you won't keep it to yourself, but I know you'll keep it to me. Okay, promise me next time you start spiraling and you go into that fight or flight, because that's what you're doing. You're going into fight or flight and you're fighting like a horse and you're turning around and you're kicking him and the teeth with your words.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you start to go into that fighter flight and you feel the panic and you feel your your emotions losing control, I want you to stop and breathe and say I'm going to do this for Delilah. I am not going to say the words that are about to come through my teeth. I'm going to stop and breathe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to do this for Deliah.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you? All right, You have a good night, darling if.
Speaker 2: You thinks Delena.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome to a winter night. Who is this?
Speaker 3: My name is James?
Speaker 1: What can I do for you? James?
Speaker 3: My kids are grown up during college, but I still worry all the time. And I know they're doing the best they can, but as a parent, there's always this worrying happening, and I trust that they can do what they have to. And as a kid growing up, I remember the times when I didn't know what to do. But they're doing so well and I'm so blessed.
Speaker 1: So what kind of things do you worry about? Are you talking about you worry about them being heard on campus? Are you talking about you worry about them making bad choices? What are you worrying about?
Speaker 3: It's about doing their best, you know, not taking the easy way out in terms of like oh I don't want to do an assignment or I'm not going to try and get into something. And you know, now they're going to graduate from college and they have to find a job, and I'm like, you really have to do it.
Speaker 1: So take a deep breath here, because I'm about to I'm about to dump some Mama Delilah wisdom on you.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love it.
Speaker 1: Good parents don't determine path their kids are going to take, not up to us to pick whether they're going to be an engineer or a doctor, or a street sweeper or a disc jockey on the radio. Everybody's got their path and hoping they do good or hoping they study, or hoping they succeed is foolish.
Speaker 3: It's still learning, and I'm still learning, and I really appreciate your thoughts and your understanding.
Speaker 1: I hope and pray that you find some peace and that you because our adult children become our best friends, they are so fun when they become adults. I hope that you are able to relax and trust that God's got them so that you can just enjoy these wonderful human beings that you were blessed to get to raise. Because it sounds like you were an extremely loving and involved dad, So thank you for that.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Good Night, I work, good night. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I got a letter from a young mother who needed a shoulder to lean on. She says, Dear Delilah, I'm twenty five years old and just had a baby this past January. When I found out I was pregnant, the first person I mentioned it too was my best friend of ten years. She was going through some difficulties with her career and relationship and we lost touch. It's been a year and a half since we last spoke, and now, more than anything, I could really use my friend in my life. I'm having a hard time coping with brand new motherhood. Being a first time mom with a teething infant test my patience as I'm sure it does other moms. I feel sometimes like I'm not a good enough parent. I wish I had my girlfriend here to talk to someone that might understand. And I want to be all that I can possibly be for my beautiful new son. I guess I just need some help through these new mommy hood blues. Please dedicate a song to my baby from me. His name is Jaden, and I pray that for many years of his life we will have this bond. And I'm trying to be the best mom that there ever could be because I love him with all of my heart. Amy, thank you for writing, and I hope that you're able to reconnect with your old friend and to find some new ones. All young moms need support.
Speaker 4: You need friendships. You need girlfriends you can call in the middle of the night, and women you can whind too when you're exhausted and you have dark circles under your eyes and you're feeling like you're just gonna lose your mind. Amy, thank you for writing, and thank you for being brave enough to reach out.
Speaker 1: And I hope you surround yourself with good friends. Hello, good evening. You've called the Delilah Show. Who is this?
Speaker 3: This is Brandy.
Speaker 2: I was calling to see if maybe you could find a song to play for My husband just had our son.
Speaker 1: What's your husband's name?
Speaker 3: Weston?
Speaker 1: Okay? And what about your son?
Speaker 3: We just had our son in September.
Speaker 2: So things have been a little rough, and I'm thinking he thinks that I'm not as attached to him as they used.
Speaker 1: To be because you are spending all your time and energy taking care of the baby, focusing on the baby. You're tired because of the baby, and your husband's like, where did my wife go? Yes? Do you want to know? That is one of those unspoken issues that people just don't talk about. But almost every person who's partner has a baby feels that way, and they're unable or unwilling to articulate it because they don't want to sound like their self, like they're being babies, or like they're jealous. So what your husband is feeling is very real and it's very common, And the sooner he can be honest about how frustrated he feels and talk about it with somebody, the sooner you guys will be able to come back together in a new and even better way.
Speaker 2: The patience saying this is for sure.
Speaker 1: So do you have family that lives in the area.
Speaker 2: I do, thankfully.
Speaker 1: So here's what I'm going to say to you. Call your mom, call your dad, call your sister, and say, next Saturday night, can you come and watch the baby for three or four hours and then go out on a date with him, Go see a sweet movie, go out to dinner, and then go make out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I will, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: All right, good night, good night, thank you.
Speaker 1: I so hope you have enjoyed these radio moments as much as I enjoy bringing them to you. I'll share more with you each weekday on pay It's Delilah del