Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The former New York Fed President Bill Dudley with a new op ed titled Watch's approach to Fed policy is deeply flawed. He writes, outsourcing monaetment policy to financial markets is a terrible idea. Watsh missed an opportunity to rebuild the Fed's credibility. Bill joined just now for more, Bill, welcome to the program. We were all watching that news conference and it didn't start terribly and then progressively it just got more and more confusing. What was the point in that news conference where you sat up and said this is weird.
Speaker 3: Well, it's weird when you're not explaining why three people are dissenting, yet the committee is deciding and changing policy. There really was virtually no information about how the Fed Reserve is thinking about mandre policy, how the Fed Reserve is likely to react to incoming information in terms of how they adjust Manjari policy. The silence of Worsh was really quite deafening, and the financial markets, you know, basically said thumbs down. I mean, the fact that thirty year yield went up to ten year wheel went up and two year yields dropped really was a sign that there was a loss of credibility in that from that press.
Speaker 2: Conference, Bill, I want to highlight a distinction because I think it's important and it's in the body of your OPAD, and I want to say it for you. You're not against reducing forward guidance. This is important. I think that the complaints about the people doing the complaining often or around the idea that somehow we still want our hands being held, that we want to hold on to the post GFC communication architecture. And Bill, I don't think that's what your criticism is about.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I mean I wrote a group of thirty paper that we published in April, and one of the recommendations was to get rid of four guides. The only time we really need four guides is when you're at the zero lore bound for interest rates and you're trying to provide additional monetary policy stimulus. But the rest of the time, it really just sort of inhibits the FED and probably makes the FED a little bit slower to react to incoming information. But that doesn't mean you don't want to know what the FED monetary policy reaction function is. And I think that's the real problem, and it's comments is conflating the two and they're very very different. If I don't understand how the feder reeser is going to react to incoming information, I can't price financial markets correctly. And it's also creating a lot of uncertainty about what policy is going to be in the future.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, the market response on on Wednesday was really FED credibility has lessened, and I think this is a really own goal on.
Speaker 1: Kevin Warsh's part.
Speaker 3: You know, I think when one of the problems here, I think is these over promised and under delivered.
Speaker 1: You know, you've talked.
Speaker 3: About you know, sea change at the FED, radical regime change, but then the markets are actually getting very very little in terms of guidance on how to think.
Speaker 1: About the new FED.
Speaker 4: Well, we were discussing about whether maybe some of this was by design. There is going to be more volatility. There has been more volatility both at the front end and the long end, in response to every economic data point and comment coming from anyone on the Federal Reserve as a result of an absence of some sort of reaction function articulated by the FEC chair. Do you think that this could be by design to help reduce inflation without hiking rates.
Speaker 1: I don't think this is a really great strategy for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 3: Number one, it's a very inefficient way of tightening financial conditions. Basically, you're driving up risk breming in markets. That's a dead weight loss to the economy. Number Two, how well can you actually control the market process to degenerate the impulse that you want to slow the economy down so sufficiently?
Speaker 1: And lastly, you know it's a credibility issue. I mean, if the extent that.
Speaker 3: The market's reacted the way they did on Wednesday, that's telling you that people are more worried about the Fed's resolved to do the job. That means inflation expectations are less well anchored than they were prior to the press conference.
Speaker 1: That in itself makes the Fed's job harder.
Speaker 4: Bill, how high is the bar for there to be I don't want to say mutiny, but the bulk of the FMC committee voting against the chair potentially with the Governor's.
Speaker 1: Joining suit, I don't think we would get to that.
Speaker 3: I think at that point worksh throwing the tonnel and vote with the majority. I can't imagine a situation where the chairman allows themselves to be outvoted by the committee, because if you had that result, it basically would be saying that the chairman has lost control of the committee, and that's just not a very good look for any organization.
Speaker 1: Bill.
Speaker 2: It was also vague about the inflation target. That was confusing. Too vague on the inflation target, whether they'd respond to it, and what's aol they would use to respond? Can I pick up on that last point? Bill, he's flirting with the idea of using balance sheet instead of short term policy rights. Sure, right, Well, what do you think of it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think the problem here is that even if you reduce the balance sheet, you're probably going to be reduced by about a trillion dollars or so if you want to continue to have an ample reserves regime, and I think the commandment of the Committee is to maintain the ample reserve regime. And then the question is how much restraint is shrinking the balance sheet by a trillion dollar is going to be.
Speaker 1: It's actually gonna be very very small.
Speaker 3: So the idea that you know, you pull on this balance sheet lever and that allows you to not have to tighten monitar policy, I think is very much exaggerated.
Speaker 2: It's obvious that for the market, the primary tool is still the policy, right because you can see that in the reaction this morning to the sense of economic takes that we've got moments ago on way they came in hotter labor costs. You saw yields rise at the front end of the curve. But we talked about this all morning, the credibility hit. You say credibility has been hit. Others agree with you. Let's talk about how you repair it. When you do a job really badly, sometimes you have to do more than you otherwise would have had to do. How much more do they need to do now at this fuller reserve to regain that credibility?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you have to follow up talk with actions.
Speaker 3: So I think that what's happened in financial markets over the last you know, seventy two hours or so basically increases the pressure on the Fed to act in September. If it's a jump ball in September, you almost need to tighten now because you've have lost credibility over the last couple of months.
Speaker 4: Do you think that it increases the chance of a larger than expected great hike?
Speaker 3: It's possible, but I don't think that you're so far away from your inflation objective that you know you need sort of shock therapy. If the feder Reserve did fifty basis points move, that would be, in my mind, a little bit of a sign of desperation. Why didn't why didn't you hike in July? You do ffty basis points at sentebor. I think that's actually it is a confusing narrative as well.
Speaker 4: What do you think the overall motivation is here? I mean, we've been talking about this and a lot of people said Kevin worsh is a one hundred percent respected person by the mainstream of the financial markets, by the establishment. Do you think this is just rookies error, the classic kind of first press conference of a FED chair Or do you think that there is some political motivation here trying to dodge the ire of the president going into the midterm elections.
Speaker 3: I can't judge that, but I generally think no, that he's not trying to do it to sort of modify the president.
Speaker 1: I think he really does believe.
Speaker 3: That somehow outsourcing this to financial markets will improve the conduct of monetary policy. But you can't outsource it to financial markets for a very simple reason. Markets don't price to what the FED should do. They priced to what they think the FED will do. And so if you try to assource at the markets, all you have is the market's looking the Fed, the Fed looking at markets, and the interest rate death is indeterminate.
Speaker 2: So it doesn't work that we were talking about yesterday, which is everyone's pointing at each other.
Speaker 4: And I saw a couple versions of that Fed.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you did, but it's good to say it. Thank you, buddy, go down be there, the former New York FED president. Thank you very much, sir, appreciate your time.