Speaker 1: What's Good command Is Family.
Speaker 2: Brian Coble Junior here and this is the Next Man Up Podcasts. We talk to your favorite commanders and players, not so much about x's and o's, more.
Speaker 1: About the man behind the help mat.
Speaker 2: And our next man up is no other than our defensive end, our rookie k j Henry kJ talks about.
Speaker 1: Being from North Carolina, having.
Speaker 2: His family support him all the way from high school to college to the pros, saving his father's life, and also being the best hooper the Commanders have. All that and more. Starts right now. What's Good Commanders Family? I'm Brian Coble Jr. And this is the Next Man Up Podcast. We talk to your favorite Commanders players, not so much about XS and o's, more about the player behind the helmet. And our next man up is no other than kJ Henry kJ. How you doing today, brother, bless Hey man, I'm blessed too because I'm here with you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I know how busy a rookie season can be, and brother, you have been busy. But we're not gonna talk about football just yet. We'll get into that a little bit later because you had yourself a big game as Sunday Man I want to talk about the start, North Carolina, Winston Salem.
Speaker 1: What is being from there mean to you? Man?
Speaker 4: It means the world? The three three six, I still wear them to you know, to this day. My hometown, my city. Man, I think Chris Paul did a did a great job of setting the footstones. You know, what it means to come from there, from Winston Salem. And we you know, guys who come out the city, you know, just try and follow his footsteps. But just to be from the tried area and really you know, put on you know for my people. Man, it's it's always a blessing.
Speaker 1: You said Chris Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, set what it means to be from there in your own words?
Speaker 1: What does it mean to be for them?
Speaker 4: Just to be resilient? Uh, you know, I think we're not a big city or anything like that. You know, just come from a regular town. I feel like, just regular people just trying to you know, get get theirs right. And so that's that's really what I've been trying to do as I've come up, you know, through this whole process, through through this sport, is just try and get mine you know the best way I know how and do it in a way that obviously, more than anything, makes my family proude as well. So just like I said, to be from Winston Salem is it's special to me.
Speaker 1: So how did you find football?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: What about Winston Saving or your childhood and your upbringing made you find the game of football?
Speaker 4: Man? Football found me. I wasn't looking for football, if I'm being completely honest. Baseball was the first love. Basketball was my longest love, love hooping, man, and tried to tried to really orchestrate my high school career to getting you know, college hoops, I mean college offers. But you know, as you see in today's today's NBA is not a lot of six or five centers.
Speaker 3: And that's what I was in high school. I was the center.
Speaker 4: So basketball found me, you know, just the aggressiveness but also the you know, the attention to detail, you know, the athleticians you have to have on the field. Like those things just you know, catered well on my talents.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So my dad, being a football coach that he is, I'll never forget it. My sophomore year, I had an interception of eighty one yards and I was just I swear I was just out there just playing backyard football.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: After the game, my dad was like, bro, you about to get some offers.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I was like, well, that's that's interesting because I never, like I said, I wasn't really lifting, wasn't really working for those But you know, God just kind of, you know, threw my way, and you know, I said, let's run with it. So I'm glad it found me because I'm loving it.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it found you too, because now we got you here. Now you said you started playing baseball. Now I know you ain't been six five year whole life, but that's got a little crazy being six or five and your size being out on that baseball field. Man, how did what you learn for baseball translate to football or did it at all?
Speaker 4: I mean the most I got from baseball was patients going to baseball games because they were so slow and so boring. So that's what I say is, you know, the baseball taught me opportunity is gonna come. Just be patient and just keep you know, cracking away and hacking at it. I'd say, you know, it's it's been a while. You know, I used to pitch, so my shoulder can't really do all that, but baseball was a good time.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: I had to imagine you was throwing something six or five were for heat, great fastball, straight fastball.
Speaker 1: So then you went over to football.
Speaker 2: Man, you said, your father told you, hey, man, you're gonna have a future in this. When did you know you that you was going to be this good at football.
Speaker 4: This could probably not till you know, a couple of years in in college. Future in this. You know, literally in that moment is when I knew, like, okay, I could get college paid for. But to really be able to play at this level and feel confident, I could you know, be a factor. Note not to college. I mean when I got to Clemson, it was just kind of there. Like I said, I was surprised that I was, you know, offered at such a high rate. I was, you know, the fifth d N come out of high school, so all that stuff. Like I worked for it, yes, But like at the same time, I, if I look back on it, I could have worked way harder, you know, to be completely honest with you. So I definitely got blessed in that regard. But yeah, in college I had some growing pains and you know, playing with some of the dominant d limit. So once was one of this past weekend, Like those were some of my old heads man that I was around. You know, I had to grow up a little bit and that did just you know, it made me stronger. You know that d Lion and you know that team coach Sweeney, all those those guys instilled in me. You know what you guys see on Sunday. So, but it wasn't it definitely wasn't a finished product when I got there and you.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned Clemson, Yeah, stay pretty close to home. What's that? A couple hours away from the crib right?
Speaker 3: Not far?
Speaker 2: Was it important for you to stay close to home because it seems like you're very very close to your parents.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, doubt. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, early in the process, it wasn't on the forefront of my mind. But as I got you know, deeper to the recruiting process and started windling down my teams, you know, it definitely started pointing in that direction of not being too far from home. Wanted to make sure that my mom can still travel to come watch me and my siblings, and I've you know, I'm blessed to have a very supportive family, so you know, they love to come support and watch as much as they can. So I wanted to make sure that, you know, that was available to them and give them that opportunity. So just being at one of the best that I could be at and being close was you know, blessing.
Speaker 3: I was just right down the road.
Speaker 2: And that support is so important because, as you mentioned, your pops was involved in football, won a ACC championship and wait for so he's he's a big deal. Like he's he's played football and he understands the game. How did you, guys, a conversation change once you became a collegiate athlete and you're almost at like the same level that he's used to because he's a coach man that don't go nowhere, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Out of those conversations, chaps, I.
Speaker 4: Just honestly, it wasn't even a button heads. I just listened to him more like this is the level he had been coaching on for many years before I was even born. So he's seeing a lot of different pathways, a lot of different you know, guys make something of themselves and guys do it wrong. So I knew he knew what it looked like. On top of the fact that he's my dad. He's been somewhat coaching me all my life, so really just leaned in, you know, to his advice, you know, secondhand to my coach's advice. And you know, I knew no one would be more invested than my you know, my my pops and myself. So you know, after every game, he just watched the game if he couldn't see it, and you know, we go over film and you know, just talk about what I could do better, what it looked like from his perspective of What I love about him is he's always loving in his critiques, but he's always one hundred percent honest and that just you know, helped me get better and better each year.
Speaker 1: That's so awesome to hear.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I told you before we started, like how much it means to me be able to highlight a dad and son dynamic because you know.
Speaker 1: Mom's get love all the time, my MoMA's boy.
Speaker 2: I much shout out my mom all the time, but dads are also very very crucial. And you do, man, you're really doing. Your dad has a really good son. Because you guys had a moment through college. You know, you know, when you get to college there's you know, school, and there's you know, women and all these different things that we think about college, right, we don't think about the trials and tribulations that come while you're becoming a man. While you're going through these things and your father during your college tenure, you're the kidney transplant. Talk to us about that, what all went into that, because that's a very very in depth story, and I'd rather you tell it than me, So you know, go ahead and talk to us about that and what that was kind of like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nah, I appreciate it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know, this past few years has been all about that my dad need a kidney transplant. And as you spoke to how great he is, he kind of found out, you know, right before my last season at Clemson this past season. He knew, you know, in the season before and didn't want to tell me. He didn't want it to be a distraction to me, and so he told me a little bit after the season. I told him, don't ever do that again. I don't care about it distraction. You tell me so, But nah, I was able to you know, I think first and foremost, just you know, our belief and our trust in God was like I was really calm during that whole process, to be completely honest with you, I just he was calm, My mom was calm. So it was just like, we're just gonna pray, We're gonna get through this, and that's really what happened. And you know, secondly, just leaning on my teammates the Clemson community. I was very confident in where I went to school, the people I was around, and I had no problem you know, asking for help and especially like I said, with with the people around me who've been supporting me. So that was the easy part, you know, I think the quote unquote hard part was just trying to be patient what I learned And now I'm helping an organization who helped us called Help Help Live. But what I learned through that process was, you know, it's out of your control and a lot of families, including mine, are waiting on the list and really just fingers crossed helping, hoping for an opportunity to help their loved ones. So I knew that, Yeah, we were able to raise a lot of money, like I said, with helping my teammates in the Clemson community and you know those on social media, and we're able to find them a transplant, a kinney transplant, a Kenny donor who was one of my family members, uh, you know, which is a blessing as well, but that's not the case for everybody. So yes, it was a blessing that you know, helped my father. But I had always felt like I want to help and had a call in the helping community service, but never have been pulled towards anything. And I just thought like this happened to have me help the people who are kind of going through the same thing. So that was easily, you know, my biggest trial and tribulation up to this point because life has been a blessing and been pretty you know, pretty easy. I ain't gonna lie, you know, as far as not too many stresses and things like that. So just gave me the ability to now help others.
Speaker 2: And you're so humble, man, because like you were such a big blessing, like you kind of ran through it. But I really want to break down to the people that are listening what you did. You found out about your pops, you jumped on social media and said, listen, I'm a man, I don't ask for help. I'm not used to this, but I'm asking for help. Now, my father needs a kidney transplant. Please go get tested, Let's do a gofund me, all of these things and then.
Speaker 1: The support comes in. The support comes in.
Speaker 2: Man, how did it feel to have support not only from your Clemson brothers, but from like strangers that you never met that just knew of you and wanted to help your pops out.
Speaker 4: That's the special part because I can keep saying that, you know, like the Clemson connection, my teammates, the community, I knew.
Speaker 3: I was gonna have that support.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but just you know, the people that I never really met, and people I never got to say thank you to or you know, meet face to face. That was just the overwhelming you know, love and support that I really appreciated. I had never seen my dad cry, and well, him coming to the event and seeing so many people you know come to the autograph sign and where we raise money for him, really brought the tears and it was a beautiful moment. So yeah, man, just that whole process, it was somewhat of a blessing, just to give us some perspective change, you know, in our lives. And like I said, has now you know, helped me pivot to help other families kind of in the same situation.
Speaker 2: And I love your perspective, man, because when you move with faith, right, you see trials and tribulations as maybe a chance to learn something, a chance to get something out of it. What is seeing your father go through that, right, Because that's not easy to go through even through like you said, you had to wait through this whole process. What did you learn watching your father conquer this battle?
Speaker 4: I mean, on the surface, I'd say I learned that every everything that I'm going through through this process my rookie year, and you know something that I'm doing that I really love, Like.
Speaker 3: Life is bigger than all of this, right, you.
Speaker 4: Know, it really comes down to genial connections, you know, love and and really just being the best, you know, version of yourself and things like that. So that was one big thing. Secondly, just how much I really love my family, Like I really do love love them to death, and I just that made that bond even tighter. I mean, I really feel like my family's bond is crazy type, but it you know, it just brought us even closer.
Speaker 1: And as great as what you did was, right, You're still a human being.
Speaker 2: So you're going through college still you're still being an athlete, and you're lost a big support system because now that they're going through this, they can't be there every game, like you said, they have been, right, How did you deal and cope with these things? Because a lot of times we get on here and we talk about this stuff, a lot of y'all will say, you know, man, I'm a man. You know, I'm a black man. I can't really express myself. I can't Nobody feels bad for me. I can't feel How did you cope with all those feelings and everything you're dealing with because that's new territory.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 4: Well, I still, you know, kept in communication with you know, my parents, they helped me with that. We're very open to our communication, our family. And then I have some great mentors, you know, when I'm Dan Leanna was a pastor, and Clemson with someone I always leaned on and talk with, you know, anytime I feel I was going through a struggle. So just being open with stuff like that just makes it easier on me is something that I've learned, you know, through trials and trials and trials. So that was just another one that I could just you know, throw up there and figure out and then you know, going through the summer he was able to heal and everything. And that was another part of the blessing in this guy. Actually he was able to come to every game that my last year, wow, because he was you know, healing, but he was getting out of coaching and and that's what he if he asked him to this that he loved that because up to that point he was coaching and he couldn't necessarily come to all my games. But ironically, the year where he was recovering from you know, something that made him really sick, that was the year that he could you know, come watch his son plays, you know, find on best season. So it was, it was it was a different experience for sure.
Speaker 2: How much it having him there for that final season impact the dominance you were able to take.
Speaker 4: To tell myself, like that's there, he's not there, Like it doesn't matter, Like I have to play, produce, you know what I'm saying for the people around me, But I'd be lying it. It feels, you know, internally a little bit better when he's there, No doubt about it. I know he's always watching, always supporting, but you know, as a son or as a just an amazing father.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: That just always helps when he's, you know, there in the stand. So it was awesome. It was a fun year.
Speaker 1: That is really awesome, man.
Speaker 2: And then you have this fun year, you ball out, and now you got NFL dreams.
Speaker 1: Baby, you know what I'm saying. You're right there. You're at the crib. I believe.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you were at your parents' house for the draft. So you get that call.
Speaker 1: Your family's all there.
Speaker 2: Man, what's the first thing that goes through that mind when you get that call saying, hey, you have been drafted to the Washington Commandage.
Speaker 4: So I'm sitting there, you know, my iPad. I'm watching my little brother play AAU somewhere. Wow, that's all I was watching. That was helping me, you know, past time. But you know, finally got that call. I look at my phone and I'm like, Virginia, what team is? Like, I know, football to the T, I don't know, No, we don't know NFL. Virginia, I'm so confused. Answer the phone and I hear coach Rivera, you know, introduce herself and hear his voice and I'm like, yo, that is Washington, Like my dad is I didn't think about myself like my dad is about to flip, like he's about to pull a hamstring. He was about to go crazy. So that's He's the first person that came to mind. He's been a Washington fan my entire life, and I just knew. I was like, this is crazy when I when I get off this phone and tell him where I'm going. So he was on the forefront of my mom. But then obviously just after that, just I'd always wondered to that point, like all the extra hours that all of these guys put in to get to this point, like they're ever worth it. In that moment, it was, you know, And so that was a really cool thing to just have that feeling, because you know, in this business, it's celebrate for five seconds and go work for fifty, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So that was just a really great achievement.
Speaker 2: And I love hearing Pops it was a Washington fan, a die hard grew up like that. Did you have any idea that this may be the team that would be drafted?
Speaker 3: None at all? Wow at all.
Speaker 4: Had had a meeting with coach Z and an r K in the Zoom meeting, but that was it. I was, yeah, communication I had with Washington, So no, I didn't. You know, some of my older defense alignment who went to Clemson now in the league, they let me know through the process, like, yeah, some guys will talk to you, some teams won't. Like everybody has their own process, but just know everybody's available. So I kept that on on the far front of my mind, knowing that. But now Washington wouldn't. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't think. I didn't think I was gonna be here. I'm not far from home.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm at a place where I loved and appreciate it, and obviously my dad really loves I'm here, so I could be happier.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think anybody could be happy be your posse. I seen the video you tell him he disappears.
Speaker 1: What sudden?
Speaker 2: He comes back downstairs and he is wearing a Washington jersey, something I'm imagined he's had for years.
Speaker 3: Man, it every week.
Speaker 2: Who was that man? To see your fop so elated and to be playing for your dad's your heroes favorite.
Speaker 4: Team, I mean, he's it was awesome. I mean to take it to another level of the I think it was a charter Jeremiah Trater jersey yep, Jeremia Charter Junior is my team was my team at Clemson who was a linebacker. Crazy, So that was just a whole different side story. That was crazy that he even had that jersey on. But no, it was that was just him man. I mean, I'm telling you, nobody partied harder than my father that day.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I was excited, I was happy, but nah, wouldn't nobody beat my pops that day.
Speaker 3: So it was a great day and that.
Speaker 1: Is awesome, man.
Speaker 2: And then you get to Virginia, right because a practice facility in.
Speaker 1: Virginia.
Speaker 2: So you're out here, man, you're going through preseason, you're going through your first NFL training camp, and then back to your dad again. You get to take him to a practice. I've seen the picture smiling ear to ear man. Was that the moment where you're like, wow, this is like full circle, I've made it, I'm here Or have you not had that moment?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I still don't think I've had it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I think that was the moment where I was like, wow, he's like living his dream. He didn't get to plan the league, but like I said, he's been Washington fan all his life. So just seeing Doug Williams walking around fail like all these legends that were around in the preseason. We had a dinner with them, you know, the rookies did, and they invited my dad to the dinner. Like that was a dream country for him. I know, it was so just to be in this facility, to be around here, all the coaches be you know, acting like he got full access.
Speaker 3: He done met and the president.
Speaker 4: So he's fancy bro y'all. I'm just saying, y'all getting dangerous. Y'all. Can't give too much access now. It's gonna be freaking using the locker room.
Speaker 3: He's all. He needs a one day contractor over. So he had a great time.
Speaker 4: But nah, I just like you know, all my other long parts of my journey to Clemson everything, I probably won't be able to just sit back and really think I made it or I done something till it's over, to be completely honest with you. So I'm just kind of enjoying the route right now.
Speaker 2: That is so interesting, man, because you're coming off of a career game right like it was a huge game. You came and stepped up this defensive line doesn't look how it looked when the season started. You were patient, waited for your chance, and then you balled out. So that right there, doing that, getting those sex, getting those TFLs. That didn't make you feel like dang, I'm here, you're still not having felt it yet.
Speaker 4: It made me feel like, dang, I just made a good play. I mean, especially after a week like this. We on to the next one. It's it's a quick you know, we got a game Thursday, so nah, I just got the congratulations from the fam. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Yeah, on to the next Yeah, and as you mentioned, we got a quick game coming up. We got Thanksgiving coming up. You get to plan on Thanksgiving, which is really really cool. We're passed halfway through the season. We're in week twelve. Yeah, your first year, Man, has it been everything you expected.
Speaker 1: It to be.
Speaker 4: Honestly, what I've learned is I don't really have expectations. I don't have it because when I did, I was there was either way higher way lower. Like I just I was always off right. And you know, what God has had planned for me is just been so different than what I've ever had planned for myself. Like I said, I, if it's up to me, I'd be playing overseason basketball probably right now. With the talent I have. God, you know, I was able to shift my love and passion, you know, for this game and I'm here today. So yeah, I really don't even put expectations on my journey.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I just really focus on being intentional every single day and making sure that I have no regrets on the effort that I give, and up to this point has been a pretty good formula. So I'm probably gonna stick with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love when you guys talk about playing basketball because we had Jamison Crowder, he like beat Kyrie for the zero Dude.
Speaker 1: We had kwalm Martin.
Speaker 2: He swear he the best, and all of them have said they are the best. Hooper that where's the Commanders, Jersey? Are you the best?
Speaker 3: It is me? It really is me, So let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I had college offers, played for teams CP three, like that was my AU team. Really, I'm going to see one of my old teammates, Harry Johns when the Nets come play. I have multiple teammates that play in the league right now. Wind up more with the Timberwolves, Kobe White with the Bulls. So I've just played with a higher caliber basketball player than anybody on this football team. And I know, like I scored a thousand points in high school. Apparently that was surprise John and all the d line. I'm like, I could have kept going and he played my senior year. You know what I'm saying? Yeah, day, Yeah, like it was.
Speaker 3: I'm the best on the team.
Speaker 2: Do y'all have those conversations though, Like, have y'all sat and like talked about Yo, I was a hooper back in the day.
Speaker 3: I'm from North Carolina. Who state? Like, first off, I'm not from my state.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to hear none OF's like, so you got to give me worked over you already see.
Speaker 3: Like I love it.
Speaker 1: We got to get y'all hooping one of these days.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. Here's the difference.
Speaker 4: Like they they talk about hooping, but they're like, I don't want to tweet this and like we can hoop today. I don't care in the middle of the season. Let's go just y and C where is it at?
Speaker 1: I'm ready, man, I love the competitive energy.
Speaker 2: Just promised me if y'all end up hooping y'all let me be there and let me do man. I gotta watch y'all do y'all thy now back to football maybe before I let you go, because man, I really appreciate your time. Should io camera right here for any fans that aren't familiar with who kJ Henry is, looking at IO camera right there and tell them who K is?
Speaker 3: I say.
Speaker 4: kJ Henry is first and foremost a man of faith, you know, who's allowed God to just carry his footsteps through through his journey of life and doing so, he tries to, you know, make his family proud and just make sure that he does, you know, everything to the best of his ability and everything that he does. And also he's gonna have fun while he's doing it.
Speaker 1: Kjamin, I have no doubt you're making your parents proud. Man. I have no doubt you're making the Commander's family proud. Man.
Speaker 2: It's been so much fun seeing you develop. It's fun seeing you get off Sunday.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We hope we see more for that for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: Commander's Family, This is next man of I'm Brian cople Junior here with kJ Henry Man his family.
Speaker 1: Until next time, Love Podcast.
Speaker 2: Commanders Family where We have a lot more for you on the Commander's Podcast Network. We have the Command Center Podcast with Logan Paulson, Fresh New and Santana Mass. It's like hanging out with your best friends, but you're only talking Commander's football. We have the Players Club with legends London Fletcher and Santana Mass and they sit with your favorite Commander's player.
Speaker 1: It's like talking football in a way that only those who played the game can't.
Speaker 2: And we have to Get Loud podcast of Mike Jenkins and Fred Smooth doing what they do best, getting Loud. That show has a ton of fun. You don't want to miss it. And then of course we have the Next Man Up podcasts. We will be back next Tuesday with another one of your favorite Commander's players. All that in War could be found on The Commander's Podcast Network or watch us on