Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Nerder nerd It Dead, Debt Dead, and In It.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: I'm Leanna Holsten, I'm Sienna Jacob, and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, this podcast is a safe camp for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching The Parent Trap. You want to know the real difference between us. Let me see, I know how to sense and you don't. Or I have claws and you don't. Take your pick. Why an absolutely classic film. Many of us watched it many a sleepover. I'm sure many of us. Warning there will be spoilers about this surprisingly traumatic, yeah, surprisingly traumatic old film.
Speaker 3: Mm hm hm Sienna, Okay, you've seen this, you've seen this.
Speaker 1: I have, and it was the kind of thing where it's like, wow, I have some really visceral memories of the movie from being at a sleepover. It was the first time I heard the word yesteryear. I of course remember the ear piercing scene. Who doesn't mm hmmmm hmmm, impossible to forget, et cetera, et cetera, What about you, et.
Speaker 3: Cetera, et cetera. I have seen it a lot. I don't recall seeing it at sleepovers. I recall seeing it with my mom. Just if it was on, we would watch it.
Speaker 1: It probably means more to you as a redhead. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for saying that. I assume as I was afraid. I was afeared to claim that as mine. But thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Do you know what very related? Let me play you my prediction of the film. Good morning, Ciena, It's Leanna. I am about to watch the parent Trap. I've seen a bunch a bunch of bunch of bunch because I looked exactly like Lindsay Lohan, who when she says the line, come on, Anne, I gotta meet my mom, it was kind of spooky. I predict Cutie Patuti's camping in Maine. Oh, it's gurgenteny Parents, except that Dennis Quaid is famously bonkers.
Speaker 1: Now and just a nice and lovely nineteen nineties time. Love you bye. Absolutely hm.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yeah, I really hit a flat note when I said Trap in the Parent Trap, Parent Tra Trap. It was like a minor key. It was very odd. I spoke in a minor key.
Speaker 1: I took a big swig of coffee right when I heard that, and then I almost shot it all over my computer. Leanna, shall we listen to my my old person over here? Yes?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 3: It's too late, all right, okay, al ready, what's going on with you?
Speaker 1: I woke up so recently, and I'm trying to pretend I didn't. I'm sorry. Anything I say didn't.
Speaker 3: Every time Sanna wakes up, she's very fatalistic.
Speaker 1: It means nothing anything.
Speaker 3: It's too late, all right, Let's listen to your prediction before it's too late, all right.
Speaker 1: Ready, I don't even remember saying that. Oh hi, Leanna, Sienna here, I'm about to watch The Parent Trap. I haven't seen it in a long time. Lindsay Lohan is twins. Summer Camp one is British? Uh what's her name from? From Abbod Elementary? Isn't it? The mob? And they try to get their their their parents back together and it works or it doesn't work. It does work. I don't remember. Wait, it works. I love you? Goodbye?
Speaker 3: Did you enter a new dimension?
Speaker 1: I think that people were like coming downstairs in my house. So I ran outside.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, they like you'd opened the door to oz. It's weird, lovely chimes come in.
Speaker 1: I didn't say anything afterwards.
Speaker 3: Oh girl, hey girl, girl, I am just fresh back from a facial.
Speaker 1: This is why you look.
Speaker 3: Thank you well, thanks for saying that. I went. Did I tell you about the last time I got a facial?
Speaker 1: Is that where she said this was a eyebags? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah yeah, tired eyes. Yeah, Mama, I got the same person again today, and Mama, same pairs of words came out of her mouth.
Speaker 1: No, one year and three.
Speaker 3: Months after, I'm still rocking tired eyes.
Speaker 1: She said that again, that doesn't really apply to what a facial does, like they're not supposed.
Speaker 3: To final a roast. Well, I've been instructed. Okay, but here's the thing. So, yes, I was reminded of my tired eyes. And this is unbelievably funny. She started to do my shoulder massage as she did last time, and as she said last time, she said, today, oh it's rock solid down there.
Speaker 1: She really is.
Speaker 3: She really is consistent. She's comfortingly predictable. Yes, why and you know what was so kind of awesome about it today, solid down there. Last time I took those things very personally, but this time around, I'm just in such a more blessed place.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: That I was like, fine, okay, it's not a critique of my human worth. It's just, oh, this is kind of your situation currently, and here's something you could do to change it if you want to. Which the thing to do? Cucumber slices on my eyes. Wow, genuine that the old timey stuff. Sometimes it works.
Speaker 1: It's not often that you get to relive a situation exactly. It was pretty unbelievable, and I was laughing on the inside. I was laughing on the inside that it was said again. I also it was a little crushing up top because I was like, surely not. That was because the last time I got a facial was the worst I'd looked in years, because it was right after that really harrowing office moved of deep stress for five weeks. This time around, I've been pretty chill for a couple of months at least. But Ma's Mama's eyes remained tired. For some reason. I always think in those situations they'll have seen it all and won't say things like that. But oh, hey, girl, I went to the bank the other day, okay, because I had a whole jar of cash that I've been gathering from either random gigs or or when we went on tour. I was the financial manager, and so the cash we would just go to like I just held onto it and then we just used my bank account. So okay, I'd been spending some of it, but the rest I'm like, I need to cash this now mm hm. So I brought it to the bank, so it was quite a bit, but not like thousands and thousands of dollars, because it's not like I don't make my whole living in cash or anything. I say this because I brought it to the bank in this and I wasn't sure how to go about it the best way. So I just went up and I said, Hi, I have his Jara, what's the best way for me to do this? The woman looks at it, she laughs out loud. Oh, come on, let's not a big laugh. She goes, is that a piggy bank? And then she turns to her bank or friends and laughs and points with them no. Yes, And then the second time around then she was like, oh, well, you need to flatten all this money out and then bring it back. So I had to go over say that like a little chair, and I flattened out all the money. They kind of flattened it on my lap, and I set it under a notebook in my bag, and I set it out in three separate stacks because I'm like, it's probably gonna get it's probably gonna get jumbled if I do just one. And then I brought it over and I got a different woman and she laughed again, but this time not about the jar. The first one was kind of like sweet. She was sort of like, is that a piggy bank? No? No, no, no, it's okay, it's okay. Sorry. But this person was like cash, oh wow, oh my god, just like you're the bank's fucking job. You're a bank, you're.
Speaker 3: The last bastion of cash.
Speaker 1: More people here just did. Also the fuck. It's so funny to judge people's money choices, because that's what you're dealing with all day at the bank. Like you're seeing people's you're seeing how much people have, You're seeing how much they're putting they got it, they're seeing how much taking out, Like there's so much to judge about people's money choices, that to openly proudly judge them is just so wild and kind of hilarious. God, but she went, she this new person who was truly had a meaner spirit.
Speaker 3: She laughed.
Speaker 1: She said, earlier I cashed five thousand dollars in ones.
Speaker 3: And I was like, okay, all right, that kind of actually feels like a violation of someone's So.
Speaker 1: I was like, that could have to do with their work, Like I don't know, I wouldn't. That's fine, Like good for them, that's amazing. So you have this machine to do it, I mean, and and I'm sorry, but that's not how much I have. Then she was like, why are these some different stacks? And I was like, oh, I was just thinking, so they didn't get so they didn't get stuck in the machine or whatever. She's like, it would actually be easier for me if they're in one stack. Oh okay, wow. So I slid them to her under the thing. She puts them in one stack, and they get stuck in the machine. They got stuck in the machine only, So I mean, the machine is machine is good, It goes through, goes and then if you can't read what it just like spits it out. But I was like, this is why I put it in smaller stacks.
Speaker 3: So wow, anyway, people need to learn to shut the hell up.
Speaker 1: I didn't leave feeling very bad because it was all just so surprising. But I just I couldn't believe that they were allowed to that part of their training wasn't don't respond to any of people's money.
Speaker 3: This is my thing, my theory. I have a theory that nobody is a manager anymore, like anybody who has the title of manager, which includes me, but I don't actually manage anyone.
Speaker 1: So I'm fine.
Speaker 3: Anybody who's a manager and manages a team is not functioning as a manager because nobody gets management training anymore. Fact so there's that feels billions of people loose out there with no correct training, mainly in terms of how to be a person in front of other people. Yeah, like they might know how to file the thing, but you're gonna have a bad experience when they do it.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. It's like, we need.
Speaker 3: What's going on. We used to be a proper country. We used to be able to take cash to the bank and they would say hello, hello, welcome to the bank.
Speaker 1: The home of all the cash. I'll do that for you.
Speaker 3: May I take your cash, no problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's it's in a jar.
Speaker 3: That's very normal. And I'm not saying anything about it. Actually I'm seeing it with my eyeballs and store and that for later when I'm with my friends and trusted confidants there and can giggle with them.
Speaker 1: Not much of a of a sort of professional as across the board professional service culture in the United States with yeah, stage in the United States, which is a lot of times fine, it's like it's because we're all we're all people, and we're not pretending that. It's because there's very few rights for people.
Speaker 3: I know, there's so few rights. That's the issue. It's like I don't blame the workers, really blame the management.
Speaker 1: There are times where I go, I see why you would do this, And I do think the bank is a place where you should have just like a just put a face on, because what if I was like depositing like four dollars into an account with no money in it, I would think that these people would laugh at me. Yeah, you're not girls at the bank.
Speaker 3: It's telling of I mean, it's it's like you get a little bit roasted for your class. Yeah, because if you're at a bank that handles like people with millions of dollars in there exit, those people aren't batting an eye at whatever. You bring in a horse and you're like, I'd like to cash a horse. I guess they're like, of course, the really formal and.
Speaker 1: Uh thoughtful service is happening for it's just for the for the bill, it's for the rich. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense, and unfortunately the.
Speaker 3: Rest of us get treated like like egg.
Speaker 1: We're all together like egg. Yeah. Have you seen one of them days? No?
Speaker 3: I still think, oh my gosh. There's a scene in it that's absolutely incredible where they're trying to get a loan and the woman who played the teaching assistant on Abbot Elementary who was like way too cheerful and annoying, she's in it and she laughs when she sees Kiki Palmer's credit score. Palmer goes are you okay? And the one goes are you and your bank experience really is reminiscent of that scene.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it was like.
Speaker 3: Sorry, everyone, we pranked each other too hard and have to go to the isolation cabin. We'll be back in a few minutes and or weeks. Oh, you know, speaking of people who are on Abbott Elementary. Yes, Sienna, would you please give us a synopsis of the film The Parent Trap.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know what. The synopsis is terrible. It's terrible. I broke it down in the only way I can understand, and then we can break it down together, all right, Oh baby, The Parent Trap. This is actually sort of a four part movie. It includes one Nemeses Slash Camp Prank Movie, two Switch a Room Movie and Wow We Are Sisters, Three Punish the Bach Movie, and four.
Speaker 3: Make Parents Date Again aka Parent Trap. Punish the Bach is really a genre.
Speaker 1: It is a genre. It's like, she is so mean, we gotta take her down.
Speaker 3: There's enough films out there that there is a genre called Punish the Boch.
Speaker 1: Yep starts out in a camp setting. The girls look exactly alike, don't really fully acknowledge it for some time as they're just fighting. Then at some point, none of their none of their mentors, none of the camp counselors say anything about it mm hmm or question it more. And then they discover their sisters due to a photograph et cetera et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same birthday, same birthday.
Speaker 1: All that stuff. They go, could we be sisters? But we look exactly alike? How could that be? Then they go, yeah, yeah, we're twins. Oh right, twins? And then they switch arough. Probably the most memorable parts of the movie, or the of the of the trope, is that they switch places and the British one pretends to be the American one and the American one pretends to be the British one, and they meet each other's parents, and then it becomes a plot to to make them get together again slash meet again, blah blah blah. Yeah, yeah, that's the parent trap and it has in it as a child twice twice double.
Speaker 3: M Okay, Well, let's switch into our phone notes where we read the notes the other person took on their phone while watching the film.
Speaker 1: Leanna, how how do you remember this movie? Is it very positively? Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I remember it very fondly and in a bittersweet way because the mom died what do you mean, the British the actor who plays their mom, the beautiful British woman, That beautiful British woman died in a skiing accident. No, but she looks like Princess Diana in this I in my notes wrote, she is my Princess Diana. It's tragic, and I know it's horrible to be like, oh, but she was so beautiful. It's so sad that she's dead. But I do feel that way.
Speaker 1: I can't help how I naturally feel. I'm sorry. It's sad when a beautiful woman dies. So it's melancholy. Yeah, it's got melancholy tones. I always just loved it, pure loved it as a kid. I it seems like maybe not for you. No, I didn't. I don't have I was thinking about this, and you know what I realized is I had a lot of growing up. There was a real distaste from my family for like snotty little girls. Wow, like any snotty character. Often they made it little girls, but like any character. They also didn't like any characters who are really disrespectful to adults. Because while we were growing up, like on Nickelodeon and Disney Channel and stuff like, kind of the comedy would be like, dad, you're an idiot, Yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Or like and to be fair to them, the dad usually was an idiot.
Speaker 1: It's true. And yeah, I remember all the I think I wrote this at one point, but a lot of their tricks and stuff at that age, for some reason, it felt very sinister to me. It didn't feel funny. I don't know if it's the Catholic school punishment stuff, but because they kept getting I was really like, this is very bad. They're doing horrible things to each other and it's like they don't even care. But in retrospect watching it now, I was like, it's because it's comedy. Yeah, So anyway, these aren't negative feelings, just complex child emotions where I wasn't thinking about if I liked it or not, because you don't have a choice over the show the movies you watch when you're a kid. But I just remember feeling kind of like, ah, scary, huh.
Speaker 3: I watching it as an adult found the summer camp pranks. My response that I was having today was very Oh, I guess that was the nineties, Like I guess, I guess children.
Speaker 1: Were completely unsupervised.
Speaker 3: It was pre nine to eleven, and in some way I think that means like they were less supervised at summer camps as well, like in no world could you in modern day or even when I was a tween at summer camp get like a vat of chocolate sauce.
Speaker 1: Where are all these vat upcroming from?
Speaker 3: Where did they get all the vast There would be an adult around at all times because if because the parents who are sending their kids to summer camp are parents who will sue. Yeah, and so there's always supervision. So you cannot put a bunk bed on a roof. It wouldn't be possible, It's not physically. Inevitably an adult would show up and say, what are you doing? Huh, you can't be in here. You're getting a demerit. Oh, Seattle, We've got two great Britain comments from you. Your first note is her accent is so much worse than I remember. And also Britain related, you've written her special things are in a box with the Queen on it.
Speaker 1: That was so funny. Is that what it's like over there? People are like, oh, let me just find my passport, and then they pick out a box with the Queen's face on it.
Speaker 3: T I would say that is what it is like for people who are in Annie's class and social strata and are Royalists. That family one big Royalist energy. They if you have a butler. It's likely you are a royalist.
Speaker 1: Do you have a butler? You are a royalist. We'll be right back, Leanna. You've said Hallie is a lesbian. Yeah, yeah, yeah, was that coming across to you? Yeah, I mean she's only ever had a dad, so I guess that's what happens. I had that same thought. Oh my god, I couldn't believe I just said that, But I'm glad you had it. It's you know, you you grow up, you grow up, you grow up with bro culture a little bit, and it's Dennis Quaid, So you're gonna be put off men for life, right, Yeah, maybe they're allowed to bring forth your full masculine energy, which is maybe.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, love that. I love that analysis. Deep analysis, great analysis. And you know she had shoulder length hair and a bang one bang ye, and she knew how to play poker, and she was kind of like a a rebellious young lesbian.
Speaker 1: She was too cool for me to ever feel any sort of kinship to her as a child.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, I don't think either of these children exist, and the way that they were like in charge of their whole posse, and yeah, so fine being away from their parents.
Speaker 1: I was just like, wild, I don't know you, and you would scare me and you would make fun of me. I don't want to know you. Leanna, you've said ty die girl canonically a lesbian. Oh, the one that's like true I can lift? Who gets the duffel bag? Yeah? Hey, strong girl, can you help me get my bag out? He had no prop.
Speaker 3: She's literally in a rainbow shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah. She was awesome, the tall, strong girl. I love her. Leanna, you said sock full of coins? Hallie is here for a gang fight. She's a sock full of coins. Yeah. She rocks up to the poker scene. The poker game. Oh, a sock of coin? You're going to beat someone? She's like, hey, oh it's poker. Yeah, yeah, I'll play.
Speaker 3: Did they delete a scene where she beats so.
Speaker 1: She was like, all right, I'm gonna go beat beat my twin to death?
Speaker 3: And short film Siena you noted, Okay, you got back from camp and are acting creepy af.
Speaker 1: Imagine your daughter gets back from camp, Yeah saying hi dad, let's go dad. Oh Dad, It's just so great that I finally again get to say dad. He was like, oh, that's that's nice. Hell, that's nice. Yeah, dad, What do you do? What would you actually do if your kid is suddenly really, really creepy? You're like, this is what people, what happens in all the scary movies child possessed.
Speaker 3: I'd be troubled that it was a changeling from Irish folklore, for sure, for sure, totally What would you do? I mean, well, the first in the first place, I wouldn't have a child, so that's number one. But if someone's child came back and was creepy, I'd say, hm, hm, you know.
Speaker 1: I never I don't. I am not of the the Catholic tradition of condoning any sort of exorcism situation. But I guess that is when I would go, Who else do I call? I'm not gonna call the cops on my child. Yeah, yeah, maybe I guess can help me? Oh a therapist? Okay, yeah, uh write a therapist?
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, of course I was, and I was saying therapist as well. Actually, priest is an anagram for therapist.
Speaker 1: Well, scratch that, we'll we'll cut that. We'll just let's cut that and cut that. Therapist therapist, therapist of course. Leanna uh, you said, Halle Hallie is not beating the lesbian allegations. Okay, which do you remember.
Speaker 3: When when she does a photoshoot with a bride.
Speaker 1: What's the most lesbian thing you can do? Have a bride? Of course, I guess marry a woman.
Speaker 3: It's pretty gay. That's so funny, ladies, is it gay to marry a woman?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leannie, you've said it's a camp tradition. Talk to your friend from inside a closet, and then you've done a bunch of eyes eyes, eyes, eyes, eyes eyes. Hallie is when she was like she she takes pictures with a bride, her bride, and then she gets in the closet. Girl, if you're getting married to a woman and then you're talking on the phone in the closet, you might be a lesbian.
Speaker 3: You may as well come out of that closet. Honey, Oh, Siena, you noted. I always thought it was Missy Pyle playing this. I get it.
Speaker 1: I get really similar vibes in my mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think their their comedy, acting and facial expressions are similar.
Speaker 1: But now I'm like, what do I mostly know Missy Pile from as a kid? I thought I saw her stuff and as a kid early on the chocolate factory, right. And when I saw that, I remember thinking, oh my gosh, the woman from a parent drop. Oh wow, the parent drop. I just really the severe face of Meredith Blake. She's this time around. I thought so too. I don't know her from anything else. I don't think I don't either.
Speaker 3: I think she's done stuff, maybe recently, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I saw her and I went, oh, it's not Missy Pile. This is probably going to be lame. And then she acted and I went, she's amazing. I thought that actress slaid so hard. She said when she said she was twenty six, we were all like, no, this person was in her thirties, because you think so. But I looked it up and she was twenty six. It was literally just that she was nobody our age and younger would ever dress so formally.
Speaker 3: Now the nineties had such formal And again it's like a class thing as well. It's these like elites wearing weird, ugly square cut.
Speaker 1: The hair, the pearls theory.
Speaker 3: Like still dresses. Yeah yeah, there me no movement starchy, thank you, that's the word I was looking for. Still the dress is very s I've made your shirt very still.
Speaker 1: You starched it, okay, Oh, I've made it very still. No, it's just very still.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I did in there, but it's really still now.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said you said getting lost in Herods is actually incredibly stressful. When if she lost it was.
Speaker 3: That I always as a child was like, that sounds so dreamy when her mom is like, well, why don't I finish up faxing this over the nineties and then we can spend the afternoon getting lost in Herods?
Speaker 1: Is that a toy store.
Speaker 3: It's a very iconic department store, okay, in London that Princess Diana's husband's father started. Her second husband, Dodie al Fayed. His father started it in that family. I think maybe still owns it. I could be wrong, and it's huge and getting lost in it I go at the holidays because they decorate it for Christmas very intensely, and there is a toy section that's very fun to play in, but inevitably I get lost and I can't find my way out, and it's so scary because you're in a giant jacket. I'm always there in the winter, I'm always a little sweaty because I've bundled up to go outside, but then I can't get to the outside, and I don't know where the exit is. And you just keep going through more and more archways and hallways and departments, and they're looking at you like, we know you can't afford all this stuff. We know you're just here to peruse, keep it moving, and You're like, I'm trying to go, I'm trying to leave.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to keep it moving. Did you just find out you have a twin one of you is the gay one. We'll be right back. Leanna, you said you never came after me? Is so stupid and so real. That is that one of the girls.
Speaker 3: She's like, well, I when we broke up, I got on a plane and flew back to London and you never came after me. And I said, girl, I get it. I have used that logic in friendships and relationships alike, where I say I set a boundary and you didn't try to break it down.
Speaker 1: You respected it, and why not? It is crazy to respect it when you both have children together.
Speaker 3: I okay, we have to talk about this insane arrangement. You noted things are eerily chill, slash good vibes despite this extremely traumatizing thing they did.
Speaker 1: I know, for the movie to stand, they need to not really we have a suspension of disbelief around this crazy arrange. But I thought at least once somebody would go and by the way, I'm really sorry this is and the girls would go, I am mad at you guys for separating us.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the closest get Hallie's like, sorry to be like rude, but this really sucks. This arrangement really sucks. Yeah, and her mom's like, I agree, it totally sucks.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I just don't you guys didn't.
Speaker 3: Based off what I've heard about being a parent, losing one of your children, which is essentially what happened is the worst thing that can happen to you.
Speaker 1: You don't just forget about them.
Speaker 3: No, it's really crazy.
Speaker 1: When they're being raised by someone you know. Also, I can't get my head around it. And they're twins, they're identical twins. I don't know or I think if I carried twins to term and birthed both of them, I'm hanging on to them. I guess what really confuses me more than anything because there are all sorts of strange parenting arrangements and you know, reasons people have to separate from a child and you know, let them be raised in their actual parents or somebody else who raises them. Like, you didn't talk to your ex in eleven years at all, not once to discuss the arrangement again.
Speaker 3: No, you were just ready to be like, I have one kid.
Speaker 1: Forever. Why.
Speaker 3: Well, so these are two of the wealthiest people on the planet according to the way that they live. Their lives very very navigable. This whole thing easy to get from London to California, as evidenced in the film numerous times.
Speaker 1: There are phones there. There's too much. It's not the olden days where it's just letters and living.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't have to put the baby on a ship exactly, crazy, m Yeah, it was unsettling. It got to a point where I'm very chill about it.
Speaker 1: Unsettled because the parents are really just sort of like, yeah, it's too bad this happened. You did that. Also, why aren't you why why didn't you like grieve this like this is crazy? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Leanna, you said what happened to the concord? And then you said, Omg, I just googled it and it got banned because it was so fucking because it was so fucking loud and also crashed in France. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So this is in part hilarious and in part a big tragedy. The Concord when it took.
Speaker 1: Off was so loud.
Speaker 3: Why it like disturbed local cities because it had to do a sonic boom. It had to fly so high and so much faster than a normal plane that it was unbelievably loud. And it was right around the time that people started caring about the environment on a bigger scale and they were like, this is obviously horrible. And then the really the kicker is that one of the planes crashed in France and everybody died.
Speaker 1: Holy moly, that's horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of a grame, last note from me, Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious. That's very, very sad. But the sonic boom is really really funny.
Speaker 3: Oh god, imagine living near a place where the concord is taking off and you just have to hear booms. Imagine sonically if.
Speaker 1: We as people in order to survive. I guess that's kind of.
Speaker 3: What birds loving this they kind of follow that thought.
Speaker 1: If we as humans ever had to communicate with each other by sonic boom or a loud noise of sorts, you think the bird all right, mom, I'm going to school, or imagine you have the power of super speed. You do so and it's so embarrassing. That's the loudest, most ungainly sound. That's a good one, because we've talked have we talked about before that the would you rather of like, you can fly, but you can only be six feet off the ground and it's as hard as running.
Speaker 3: Then obviously whatever the other option is, or doesn't matter what the other option is, or you.
Speaker 1: Can go at the speed of light, but every time you do, you make a sonic boom. And I'm talking in actually I would boom on their do sonic boom.
Speaker 3: I'd sonic boom for sure, because then I would just be selective about where I took off from.
Speaker 1: Right, Most people wouldn't want to they'd want to be able to use it at any time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you like move through to run to work, you would actually like you would go to jail so quickly if you kept sonic booming, your community kept you a sonic boomed every Tuesday and Thursday at eight thirty in the morning to get to the office on time. You destroy your stuff, it would like not be good.
Speaker 3: Is it so a sonic boom has like physical ramification my mind?
Speaker 1: In my mind, I guess.
Speaker 3: Maybe because I assume is a sound wave a physical thing? Can a sound wave be power or ful enough too?
Speaker 1: I would imagine that it also has a ripple physically.
Speaker 3: Why don't they let us into physics classrooms? Why don't they let us lead physics lectures? Then why would they teach women physics?
Speaker 1: Because if I had learned it, I would know the answer. Then we'd know that wasn't allowed because of my rights. And on your final note, is this movie is so cute.
Speaker 3: It's so cute. It's it's smooth brained as hell, which it's the Nancy Meyer's way of like just relax, just let it flow over you and then it's very enjoyable, which I think is a great segue if I do say so myself into our segment badges and tradges, where we give badges for booms and tradges for twin separation. Oh you know what a badge rite? Off the top for the music, some very iconic songs.
Speaker 1: And yes, this is the kind of movie that says, hey, we have the budget and we're gonna have you. It's gonna be a feel good movie, so we're gonna have some feel good tunes. They use that budget, right. My first badge just for fun vibes, which I wonder if I wrote at the camp or I really locked into the movie once they switch a rude when they were like, wait, I'm gonna go live with your dad, you go live with my mom. I was like, I have to see what happens. I yeah, this is gonna be so fun if I was. If you're a twin, if you're in the situation, it is your responsibility to try this at least once, because how often do you get to really experience how others are treated. Even if you were to meet your dad, he's not gonna treat you exactly as the girl he's been raising. Mm hmmm, you know he's gonna treat you differently. You want to know what it's really like to be on the inside, and only twins can do that. Only twins.
Speaker 3: Oh, A badge for this kid. Just butchering the trumpet at summer camp that kid just trying their darndest to play the revey and it's windy to hell and they're in a windbreaker and they are struggling with all of their might to get those notes out.
Speaker 1: So relatable. I have a badge for as I was saying, love when they switch Aroo and she's kind of slaying at the acting, I was sitting back, going she really is playing she's playing Hallie, She's playing Annie. And then she was playing Annie playing Hallie and Halle playing Annie, and she was playing it subtly and in a sophisticated way, like Yes. Once they got on the phones to each other and were their genuine selves again, I was like, these people are different than the ones that they were just playing. She's not just Lindsay Lohan playing two girls, she is playing four distinct wow levels. Yeah, I was impressed. I was impressed with Lindsay. Very badge worthy.
Speaker 3: Badge for the girl reaching for the feathers. In the biggest prank scene at camp, they pull a thing and the fan turns on and the feathers fly down throughout the room and one of the girls in the background in her bed just reaches out with her hands up as if it's snow and I've never seen that before, and I said, that is so funny. Thank you for making that choice.
Speaker 1: It really made me laugh. Badge for badge for all the I don't know if they really count as character actors in this, but in a movie like this, almost everyone is sort of a character actor since they're playing such charcatures. But that includes Meredith, Yeah, Chessie. Oh, the the butler Martin. Yeah. I love when the butler is like, you changed your hair. It's the knew you. I love him anyway he is, Yes, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A badge for Nancy Meyer's films are so comforting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that she puts everything near wine, even yeah, even a movie about tweens. Yeah, between film, between heist. Still there's going to be a vineyard, such gorgeous homes. Unfortunately, that's all the badges I wrote down, Okay, general.
Speaker 3: Badge for Lisa and Walter as Chessie. Yeah, and a subsequent badge for Lisa and Walter. Spoke at the Women's March in LA like four five years ago, six years some number of years ago, and I think this was pre Abbot, and she was like, she was completely like rallying the troops, that is, to be on board for women's rights and fight for them. And she was like, you loved me and the parent trap. Now go out and like do this and it was so sligh. That's so awesome. She knows she has a whole generation under her thumb because she does.
Speaker 1: And she does and it worked.
Speaker 3: I worship her. I think she's amazing and also the most comforting presence ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A badge for Martin's.
Speaker 1: I've never been so happy and I'm tired life.
Speaker 3: Funny, funny and fun funny.
Speaker 1: He is gay. A badge for Sammy is so cute Sammy the Golden Retriever.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, and also an action hero when he leaps over the luggage cart to get into the elevator to say hello to actual house hero action hero Sammy, he went so fast.
Speaker 1: Badge for Sammy Boom.
Speaker 3: A badge for Martin taking a picture of Dennis Quaid falling into the pool normalize celebrating Dennis Quaid's disgrace And a badge for the actor who plays Meredith. I thought she really worked it. She freaked it. She's so good at that role. That role is troubling, but she did an amazing.
Speaker 1: Job at it. She played it all the way. Yes.
Speaker 3: And my final badge is for the wedding photos at the end that it opens with the wedding photo and it closes with like photos of their second wedding. And I love a movie that kind of keeps the story going during the credits. Oh that is sweet trages.
Speaker 1: Trages. My first trage is for as mentioned before, the strange messaging again forgivable. It's a fun little romp, but definitely it is that is at actually quite a formative age to tell kids either like that there are bad girls and good girls. Men are stupid and victims of women's intelligence and plotting, and that you do have an effect on your parents divorce. Yeah, but you know it's it's it's not that deep. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Trage for the cabins at the Summer camp are named after First Nations tribes. Oh, which was also the case at the summer camp I went to. And it's like, man, you have a bunch of white kids at this and you're doing all that and there's no recognition of any of anything at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big trag trag. I wrote this in Tragis, but it doesn't really have a value in this way, but I just wanted to acknowledge the ear piercing scene. I it was equally as visceral for me this time watching as when I was, yeah, a kid. I guess the feelings I feel around it are more on the negative side than the positive side. But also I like that, you know those are important things as it's important things that form memories as a child, and you're kind of learning science, the science of ear piercing. We were talking about how I'm like, I do sometimes burn needles to sterilize them if I'm ever going to use them, and I think it's probably from watching this movie. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it teaches you, in specific and detailed steps how to pierce an ear.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: I watching it this time, I was like, Oh, but they don't watch it go in the ear. They do, and they do they show it.
Speaker 1: There's a fleshy, a fleshy piercing occurs.
Speaker 3: I wonder whose lobe that was.
Speaker 1: I was crazy.
Speaker 3: Trage for an appropriative totem pole. They have like a totem pole, but it's like they've put just like random characters on it, like a Teddy Bear and others. And I was like, so not only is this not in the correct context of which it should be used, you've also defiled it disrespectful. Disrespectful, Yeah, disrespectful.
Speaker 1: Trage for I was it it It killed me when Chessie makes this whole delightful, delicious, amazing meal for Annie, who yeah, she thinks is Hallie, and Hallie likes to eat a lot. But Annie just eats one bite, she eats one bite toest and she goes, I'm done like you. Not only is that not only is that aggravating for somebody who loves food. I want, I want, I want the satisfaction of eating all that food. But also that is very rude. She just made you this whole thing. Just sit down and eat a damp pancake.
Speaker 3: Eat the damn pancake. Also, wouldn't you, as an English child, be curious about an American pancake? The answer is yes, Wow, that's a great point.
Speaker 1: Do they have pancakes in a normal way there? Nope? What are they like?
Speaker 3: I don't want to talk about it, understood, Uh. Traged for it's really too bad that Dennis Quaid is insane now, he's so far right and unhinged, and it did make it harder to enjoy the film.
Speaker 1: Why do they gotta do that? Mm hmmm, what do they gotta do it to us? M uh yeah, main trade for a movie like this is just the nineties or two thousand's whatever. Yeah, uh, there's some They were being so mean to Meredith at a certain point. I was like, you know, I know that they're saying she's like a gold digger. So that's the that's the thing that's really like, she's out genuinely looking out for the family. She wants to kick the girls out, blah blah blah. But at a certain point, just break up with her. Your girls don't like her. You guys aren't a good match. And they were. They were. They were trying to kill her.
Speaker 3: They wondered if there was a nearby cliff they could It was crazy. They were trying to kill her like the dwarves did in Snow White. To them, she was the old bitch.
Speaker 1: She was the old bitch, yeah, the old Yeah. So there's just sort of a real sense of like do not trust some women. But there was no like bad like guys, you know, it was they felt so bad for the dad, yeah, or you know, they're pitying their their poor dad, right, he can't help himself. It's not his fault. Yeah, it'd be nice if one woman had been like dude, get it, toget bruh, yeah, or man, which they sort of had with Chessie, but she was in a place where she obviously couldn't say she had no power. Yeah, she had to be like this guy is not doing making good choices. This is not right.
Speaker 3: My final two trages are a trage for that kiss was way too intimate. The kiss between the parents at the very end, that's so prolonged and close up and the girls are just watching happily. If my parents started making out in front of me, I would say, sorry, can you give me a minute to leave? Yeah, that's un I'll go ahead and get out of here. Seems like you two need to have a moment, but I do not need to be here for that. It was so prolonged. Mm hmm that it was not appropriate.
Speaker 1: That is not appropriate.
Speaker 3: Mmmm, that was not appropriate. And my final trage is a trage for proposing at someone else's wedding. In the wedding photos in the credits, Martin proposes to Chessie for their lavender marriage, and I get it. It's a sweet thing, but no one should ever do that at someone else's wedding. It is rude and it steals the thunder of the people you're supposed to be celebrating.
Speaker 1: Very true, which is something I'm a little triggered about right now.
Speaker 3: I'm a little sensitive about that these days. But I also stand by that as a belief forever.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with that completely. Thank you, Thank you. Well. Let's sonic boom into our next segment. How to pretend you've seen this film?
Speaker 3: This is for You're at camp. You're at summer camp.
Speaker 1: Summer camp. You're one of the one of those adult summer camp experiences. You got a free coupon and your friend wanted to go, and you said, all right, okay, yeah, okay, and you go and Dennis comes up to you. Yeah, and he says, hey, trying to right wing Dennis trying to start a cuddle pile over there. Oh God, this is not what I was hoping from an adult summer camp situation. But now I'm seeing now how that's I understand. Oh, it's an orgy, he cuddle. This is a right wing orgy. Talk about what we think about taxes and things. Talk about our talk about to talk about tariffs and uh. In order to trap Dennis, I don't even want to talk to you about the movie. I just want to talk about terror. Yeah, right, right right, and maybe even a movie I was in a couple of movies I was in because the.
Speaker 3: Parent Oh, it's me, Dennis quad In order to trap Dennis Quaid in his own wine cellar, that's also at the Summer Camp. We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Parent Trap. Dennis, I've seen the Dennis Quaid, I've seen The Parent Trap. It is set the Summer Camp is set at a place called Moose Lake, Maine, but in fact was filmed in visibly California. Here's one more fact. There are some islands in Maine that put a lot of moose on their merchandise, but there's no moose on the islands, because what's the moose gonna do?
Speaker 1: Take the bridge? Great point, This is true. Yes, Dennis, I have seen the film The Parent Trap. Here's one of the pieces of quote unquote trivia, an oddity for a Disney film. This one shows a mother smoking a cigarette and getting deliberately drunk. Whoo, It's true. Also funnily, Mama Lindsay Lohan pretended to be sick so she could skip school to see her first Oh, to go to her first movie audition for The Parent Drop. I thought it was to see that nice, which is nice? Love that?
Speaker 3: Yes, Dennis Quaid, I've seen The Parent Trap. Hallie is driven on an insane route when she is pretending to be Annie and has arrived at Heathrow. She drives from Heathrow through Central London back to West London, which would be like if you flew into Lax and you lived in Santa Monica, but decided to get to Santa Monica by driving through Hollywood on.
Speaker 1: The way there.
Speaker 3: It's out of the way and inconvenient. These people have money to burn.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. Yes, Dennis Quaid, I have seen the film The Parent Trap. In the movie, Dennis Quaid is engaged to a twenty six year old gold digger. Coincidentally, he married his fourth wife when she was twenty six years old. Oh. As a result, his co star Elaine Hendrix tweeted to him, better watch out for those twins.
Speaker 3: Ah Laane, you're christ Slane.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Wow, art imitates life. Life imitates art. Yes, Dennis Quaid, I've seen The Parent Trap. It chooses not to tackle the subject of class, particularly in England, as evidenced by Elizabeth James's line to her butler Martin, you know, I think you as a lovable brother who just happens to wait on us. Okay, girl, I love you, But that's crazy. That's a crazy thing to say to you, employee.
Speaker 1: We're a family. Ass. I can't remember this scene, this says, yes, that is Quita. I have seen the film of The Parent Drap. The scene where Annie and Hallie are lying in bed and the camera pans from the moon to the parents picture to the twins took six hours to get right. Oh god, Lindsay Lohan had to change from Annie to Halle and back many times. Oh, I can't make the films. Was so hard in the past.
Speaker 3: That's their first night of figuring out that their sisters at camp, and they smashed their beds together in the isolation cabin, which, by the way, an insane thing to have.
Speaker 1: Are they isolated for the rest of camp for like six thinks?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: I think so? Which is.
Speaker 3: I think a human rights violation?
Speaker 1: Cruelty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a like like solitary. They put them essentially in solitary.
Speaker 1: The parents didn't know that.
Speaker 3: It's like those parents would absolutely sue, Actually, British people aren't particularly litigious. H Dennis Quaid would sue.
Speaker 1: Well, Leanna, shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do anything else with your summertime.
Speaker 3: Summer time, I would say you can certainly watch The Parent Trap. It's a fun watch. It'll really make you crave oreos and peanut butter, which if you live in a country where the peanut butter is just different, it's gonna make you sad. If you're not in the mood. It's all a slightly different. If you're not in the mood for this film, you could instead watch Abbott Elementary, absolutely the best hitch show. If you're in the mood for seeing kids who are not all white, you could watch Happen. I think there was one black girl at the entire summer camp and then everyone else was white. But Elementary it's on Hulu is how I view it. It's it's on ABC. If you have TV still, it's so fun.
Speaker 1: That's a perfect you know, what would you say, that's a perfect recommendation, Thank you? I would say, Oh, I would say you could watch The Parent Trap if if, if you want it is it's a very nostalgic. Watch what you could watch instead with Lindsay Lohan? If maybe you imprinted on this one more as a child? Never forget? Is the movie Life Size with Tyre b Wow? Yes, that movie I loved. That was my movie? Mm I forgot it was her in it?
Speaker 3: To be honest, doesn't Tyra Banks set a computer on fire? On from that movie, she tries to use a word processor and the computer sets on fire.
Speaker 1: Probably. I love when she sits down to do work and just types random letters. It's soutable. It's such a good movie.
Speaker 3: Oh, Siena, what would you rate the film The Parent Trap?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I'll give The Parent Trap three point eight vats of chocolate out of five. The beginning of the movie at camp, I would have cut. I didn't need it. Oh wow, I didn't. The pranking and stuff stressed me out so much. But everything after that I found the switcher Roo time like so fun. I love these girls were geniuses, all the characters they brought in, all the adult characters who were being goofy. Very fun. Yeah, it's a super fun watch. It's very cute. Yes, Leanna, what about yourself? I Nika.
Speaker 3: I would the parent trap four sonic booms out of five. I enjoy it very much. It is so fun to watch a bunch of girlies scheme and plot.
Speaker 1: It's not just the twins.
Speaker 3: Also, their mom is schemes and plots. And I said, say, Chessie's everybody scheming and plotting, and I say, fun.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: I also think I love the camp sequence, but specifically because it's set in Maine. So I always felt a personal connection to the movie because of that, and because the most I looked like Lindsay Lohan as a child is when she says a line while she's at the summer camp, come on, Anne, I gotta meet my mom.
Speaker 1: I gotta see that. I got to see her transform into you. Well, everybody, thank you so much for listening to this episode of Toss Popcorn. You're at Toss Popcorn on Instagram for fun Delightful memes and on patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. If you want to see us review modern films just for you and join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 3: Real women Have Curves.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I love you, Boom boom.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. Every time the plate flies, it goes boo