Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. When we celebrate Mother's Day, so much of the focus is on what our mothers gave us, the lessons they taught us, the sacrifices they made, the ways they shaped who we became. But today's conversation explores a different side of motherhood, what love looks like when it's asked to survive the unbearable.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: A few months ago, I was asked to speak to four hundred and fifty Jewish women in Atlanta about Jewish joy, and I really wrestled with it because, if I'm being honest, I didn't and I don't feel joyful yet. The wound of October seventh still feels raw. I scroll through my phone and I see anti Semitic rhetoric. I read about Jews gunned down in DC and Bondai Beach, and nearly every day I walk to get coffee in my La neighborhood, and I often think about Rachel Goldberg Poland and her son Hirsh, and all of the hostages and survivors, and sometimes I would just have a little cry to myself. So when I sat down to write that speech, Rachel was already in my head and in my heart, this woman I'd never met, whose pain I'd been carrying alongside her from thousands of miles away, and then somehow she was sitting across from me. I'm still a little stunned by it, Grateful beyond words for her time and her trust, and her willingness to let me ask questions that I'd been holding for the last several years. For those who don't know her story, Rachel Goldberg Poland became known to the world after her son Hirsh, was taken hostage during the October seventh attacks in Israel. For three hundred and thirty days, Rachel and her husband fought publicly and relentlessly to bring Hersh home alive. The world watched a mother refuse to surrender hope.
Speaker 3: In real time.
Speaker 1: Hirsh was eventually murdered in captivity, and yet even in the wake of unspeakable tragedy, Rachel emerged not consumed by hatred, but as a voice of extraordinary humanity, compassion, moral clarity, and love.
Speaker 2: I think Peter's out, I really do. I think that the strongest force that outlives time and outlives death is love.
Speaker 1: She's also become a voice for those who are in the depths of their grief, drowning with no life rafts.
Speaker 3: Rather than trying to.
Speaker 1: Push this feeling away, she's embraced it as a price that.
Speaker 3: She will pay for the cost of love.
Speaker 2: I read an article by the American Psychiatric Association a few weeks Segau that said, if you're still breathing after six months, then you have a disorder. And I was like, I have a disorder. And I'm actually very proud of this disorder. It's called I still love my son. The love is still here. Love is stronger than death. But I am disordered.
Speaker 1: She continues to shine a light on Hersh's life while navigating the enormity of his loss, something she writes about with devastating honesty in her new book When We See You Again, which is now a New York Times bestseller. What I came to understand in our conversation is that almost everything Rachel says orbits.
Speaker 3: This one idea.
Speaker 1: It's something she names explicitly tragic optimism. It's a Victor Frankel concept, and it's the idea that you can be wounded or disordered, still bleeding and simultaneously committed to love, to faith and meaning. Hersh's own mantra in captivity was borrowed from Frankel. He who has a why can bear anyhow So, the question we're circling today, the one at the center of today's face, is if love is what makes loss unbearable, is it also the thing that makes life worth enduring. Today's conversation is in honor of the limitless power of a mother's love, a force that reverberates for billions of people three hundred and sixty five days a year, often quietly, often without recognition, and without condition.
Speaker 3: It is endless.
Speaker 1: So to all the women who mother someone or something with their whole heart, who have a mother or mother figure they love, or who feel the absence of a mother.
Speaker 3: This episode is for you.
Speaker 1: It's time to question everything with Rachel Goldberg poland.
Speaker 3: Rachel.
Speaker 1: Before we get into your book, I really want to talk about you. You grew up in Chicago in a Jewish family, similar to me, and you grew up falling in love with your Jewish heritage. You had educational and professional experiences that helped you you build that part of your identity. And I was so heartened in the book to read that that's kind of how you met John.
Speaker 2: I mean, I switched into the same school that he was in when I was in eighth grade, he was in seventh grade. I'm a little bit of a cougar, but that was when we met. We were actually the same height when we met, and I'm still that height and he's now fourteen inches taller. He's so lucky he grew right me. Also because our kids had a fighting chance.
Speaker 3: Did you always want to become a mom?
Speaker 2: I think that when I was growing up in the seventies and eighties, I wouldn't have thought anything otherwise, So definitely it.
Speaker 3: Was something that you always had on your mind.
Speaker 2: I didn't have it on my mind. I just thought it was part of growing up. What would happen and.
Speaker 1: Then when you had hersh who was your first born, you decided to stay home with him for a little bit.
Speaker 2: We were living in Berkeley, California at the time, and I was teaching in the Jewish day school there and John was working as a brand manager at a big company out there, and we sort of had that conversation of it makes sense that one of us should stay home because paying for childcare would have been more than what I was making, and so we realized I should be the one who stays home. And I really didn't have any background with child care, and it was a learning curve, as it is for most first time parents. But I was also very acutely aware that it was a magical time that was fleeting. I mean, we got into a rhythm and I really did enjoy it, but it was definitely hard. It was challenging, challenging because you have a mind that is always going and it was hard to be home or in what way, No, I think it was just challenging because it was something new and it required a tremendous amount of patience. And there was never any off time in my experience. You know, when I was teaching, I would show up at school at eight o'clock and by three o'clock I was done. But when you're staying home full time all the time, there's very little downtime and there's always something going on that you feel like you should be doing. So I think that that was sort of a challenge that I think is really common with people who are at home with children or people who work with children full time. I remember being at the park once and getting into a conversation with someone and they said, Wow, it's the hardest job, the job you have, And then all of a sudden he said, oh, that's your son. Oh so you don't work, And I was like, a second ago, that was the hardest job there is, you know, when he thought that I was the hairgiver for this child, but he didn't understand that I was this child's mother. So I think sometimes that's not as appreciated as much as it should be, the whole vocation of childcare.
Speaker 1: And then you eventually expanded your family. You had two more daughters, Leeby and Orley. Was your life what you had imagined at that point.
Speaker 2: I felt very much blessed and lucky. We had moved. At that point, we were living in Richmond, Virginia, and it was a really lovely, quiet, beautiful, easy life and I felt extremely kissed by the universe. I had a very lovely community that we were part of, and I was working in adult Jewish education in the community there, and John had a job that he liked. And our house was very comfortable because it was very affordable in Richmond, Virginia, and the kids were great. It was just a very easy, busy life. In the book, you call it beige. Yeah, I think it's very average. I felt blessed and I felt normal.
Speaker 3: Did you want beige?
Speaker 2: I think I did. I also think you know. I grew up my parents are divorced. I was an only child from their marriage downtown in the city in Chicago, which I loved, but it was very different from that new construct of pretty much suburban lifestyle. I had never lived in a single family house until moving to Richmond, and having three kids to me felt like a huge family. Coming from being an only child and having this very I think healthy, normal relationship with John felt like a real blessing.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate the way you speak about him. The word like real partner comes up for me a lot when you talk about him.
Speaker 3: So much of Hersh's.
Speaker 1: Story has been told through what happened to him, and I'd love to know about your son through your words.
Speaker 3: How do you describe him?
Speaker 2: Well, I try to be very careful when talking about Hirsh because I think that in general, especially when there's a tragic death of someone young, we tend to mythologize and lionize and heroicize them, which a dear friend of mine who's a writer, Manty Friedman, talks about the heroization of young people ends up actually flattening them. It hollows them because they're defined by sort of their final moments, and it negates everything that came before. So I try to be very careful within that framework.
Speaker 3: That's so thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that I've seen it since October seventh, twenty twenty three, with every single young person and old person by the way, who was lost since then. Somehow all of them are heroes, all of them. And I think that there's something that at a certain point, you know, when you start saying a word over and over again and then the word doesn't have a meaning anymore. And so I'm careful because I do think that every single person was a unique person, we have this saying in Judaism that every person is a world unto themselves, and so everyone was a whole, entire world. That doesn't mean that every single person was perfect. And obviously I adore hersh He was the person who turned me from a daughter, a friend, a wife into this new being of mother. I think it in many ways change the DNA of who I am in the world. Look, he was funny, with a dry sense of humor that was sarcastic without being mean, which is very hard because usually sarcasm comes with meanness. But there wasn't meanness. He was very curious, hungry, curious in a way that I try to sort of emulate because he wasn't threatened. He was curious by people who work different than he was. And I feel like I'm not like that. I would like to be more like that. I think we generally sort of corner ourselves into these echo chambers, especially now, and we hands select who we hear our news from, who is in our pocket on this screen, who we read, who we interact with. And he would say, I want to understand why he thinks like he thinks. And I remember even saying to John, why you know why do you want to hear why someone who's espousing opinions that are counter to your worldview? But that was really different. And I also think that he was a radical listener, which is so hard to come by. So that's something that I thought was special about him. And he had this quiet, gentle respect for John and me that I really appreciated. I always appreciated while he was alive, and I'm thankful that I recognized it, because sometimes I think we don't realize what we have until we don't have that treasure. And I was very aware and John was very aware, So we're thankful that we were cognizant of that.
Speaker 1: There's something you shared in the book that I just loved reading about him. He had this thirst for travel, and so he was going to go on this two year trip around the world, and he had gotten to do sort of a mini trip to Europe, and he was going to these dance festivals and you said, are you sure you want to do this alone? And he said, Mama, if you go in a clump, you stay in a clump. It exemplified so much of what you're sharing. He was so open to the world.
Speaker 2: And what's interesting about that is. That's why the photos that we had to use after he was stolen on October seventh. We had this problem because we're actually not a big photography family. I'm really now impressed with families who do that, because we had this big problem needing to get his photograph out there, and we didn't have any recent photos of him, and so my daughters, who of course I know nothing about social media, but they started to write to all of these festivals that he had gone to the summer of twenty twenty three, and all of these people who had met him started to send us photos and those are the photos that were used during the struggle to get him home because people had met him from all over the world and that was really beautiful. And we're still in touch with a lot of these people who met him during that nine week trip that he took on his own with his teeny tiny backpack and two pair of underwear, and he said, Mama, don't worry, there are rivers, And I thought, how does that justify only taking two pair of underwear?
Speaker 3: And what rivers in Europe?
Speaker 2: I mean, he did see actual proof there were rivers, or maybe there were more streams or like a little Creek.
Speaker 1: I got to hear you speak in New York at Temple Bethel, and you were talking there about the importance of a name and that we sort of live into our names. And so when you say Hirsh's name, what do you want us to hear?
Speaker 2: First of all, the name Hirsh is actually a Yiddish name that means deer, the animal. And after Hirsch was killed, my daughter Liebi bought me a small little deer that I keep on my bedside table and I travel with it. I have it in my bag here, and I think about what qualities does a deer have? Because what you're referring to is that in the Jewish tradition, we actually believe that parents are divinely inspired once in their lives, and it's the moment they give their children their names. And that's why sometimes we know stories where people say I was going to name him Solomon, and then all of a sudden when the rabbi said, and his name is, and they said David. And we believe it's entwined with what your path will unfold to be. And so I think about how a deer is a gentle animal, that it's life and very sort of unassuming. It doesn't need all the bells and whistles. It's a modest animal. And I think that there are echoes of Hirsh in that, and I think of Deer as being very innocent.
Speaker 1: I had only gotten to know Hersh through the photos you shared and his room that you shared, and I loved reading about more of who he was in the book. He sounded like a really beautiful soul. Can you bring me back to the moment when your beige life ended, because you mark this striation in the book between the before and the after.
Speaker 3: So when did your beij life end?
Speaker 2: So it was very quick and it was on the morning of October seventh. It really sort of starts the night before because on the evening of Friday, October sixth, Hirsh and my daughters and John and I all walked to synagogue together or a family that goes to synagogue both Friday night and Shabbat Saturday morning. And Hirsh had said to us, after we go to synagogue and we were going to friends for Shabbat dinner, he said, on n aaire and I are going to go do something fun. Anare Shapira was Hirsh's best friend. They were actually a trio. There was Hersh and Yanni and an Air, and so Hirsh had brought his camping backpack with us to synagogue and to our friends for Shabbat dinner. He had been regaling us at dinner, all the friends sitting at the table with tales from being in Europe at these trance music festivals. And at eleven o'clock he kissed me right here. He leaned over my right side and he kissed John. And he turned around in the doorway and looked at me and said, love you, see you tomorrow. I was very casual, and he left. And the next morning, John left for synagogue at seven thirty, which is quite early, and so the girls were still asleep, and I was going to wake them in a little bit and we were going to meet him at synagogue. I was still having a cup of tea, and all of a sudden, around eight o'clock, there were bomb sirens that started to go off in Jerusalem, which tragically now is extremely normal, but then it was completely out of the ordinary. And so I ran to wake up my girls because I knew there must be bombs falling somewhere. And we got into our safe room Israel since the mid nineties, any construction requires that residences have a safe room, a bomb shelter in the house. And so the girls and I went into our safe room, which ironically is Hersh's bedroom, and I sealed the window. It has like a steal enforced door, and I sealed the door. And the protocol is that you wait ten minutes and if you don't hear anything suspicious, then you can come out. Now. I don't use technology on Shabbat, so it was Saturday morning. I didn't have a phone, TV, radio, computer, I didn't have anything open to know what was happening, why these sirens were going off. I waited ten minutes. I didn't hear anything suspicious, so I said, girls, we can come out. But I know that Hersh and on Air are somewhere outside sleeping. It's an emergency. I'm turning on my phone to make sure the boys are okay. I turned on my phone. I want to say maybe it was eight twenty three. I have it written down, and eleven minutes earlier, two consecutive WhatsApp messages had come into the group that Hirsh, John and I have just the three of us from hirsh. The first one said I love you, and the second one said I'm sorry, and I immediately tried to call him and it rang and rang, and then I wrote, are you okay? Let me know you're okay. I'm leaving my phone on let me know you're okay. Those still to this day don't have the two blue checks that showed that they were read, obviously, and I knew immediately that we were in trouble. John came running in because they had closed the synagogue because of all these bomb sirens that kept going off. I handed him my phone. I said, we're in trouble, and that was it. We sort of stepped through this very large wooden frame of the lives that we had lived up until that point. I say, you know, I was born in October of nineteen sixty nine, and everything from that date until October seventh, twenty twenty three was now over, completely over, and I was now in a different place. And I've been in varying hues of different places since then, but that life of the before is completely over. You and your husband John, and specifically you became very vocal. How did you choose to bring into action and be vocal? Versus wanting to wait and see how things go. What was your decision making process? Well, initially, the families of the two hundred and fifty one hostages who were stolen on October seventh, everyone went into primal reflexive action, meaning whatever felt authentic in that moment to do is what people were doing. There was not a lot of thought. There wasn't sort of let's sit and brainstorm and make a collective plan. We were all instantly traumatized. Everybody had footage of their people being tortured, their people being killed. People had footage of their children being killed and their dead bodies being dragged away. We had footage of Hirsh being loaded onto a pickup truck with his dominant left arm blown off. We could see his jagged bone sticking out below his elbow. He had tied sort of a tourniquet with a T shirt or something around the upper part of his arm. These are things that you are never prepared to see. No parent or loved one wants to see anything like that, and you're not rational, and instantly we were all in action mode. But everybody responds differently. I have a very good friend who's a nurse, and she said, you know when people are in pain in the hospital, she said, there are the people who are clenchers. There are people who are screamers, the people who hit her when she tries to help them, they're people who are stoic. I saw that in the hostage family cohort that everyone responded differently. And once we knew he was alive, because a girl who was in the bomb shelter with him, who he didn't know before that the Nova festival, she was rightfully having a complete panic attack and he was trying to calm her down, and he put her head in his lap, and he put his head on top of her, sort of protecting himself, and her head was in his lap. And she is the one who ended up telling us, I watched him walk out. He's alive. She said, I watched him walk out with or Levy, Elia Cohen and Alon Ohel, those four boys walked out. As soon as we knew that, we wanted the world to know that, and we wanted the people who took him to know we know you have him, we know he's alive. And we had been told by everyone it's important that they know that he's American, he's a civilian and that the world is watching. I would love to say, oh, it was this very grand plan. I felt like I had a branding iron on my back. I was doing everything under severe intense mental, psychological, spiritual, religious, emotional torture.
Speaker 1: You talk in the book about what the torture did to your body. You said you never got your period again. How were you surviving? Every day at this point.
Speaker 2: While he was still alive, John and I were working eighteen to twenty hours a day, running all over the world, talking to whoever we could talk to, meeting with whoever we could meet with, and trying desperately to move the needle on this horrific situation that so many people were suffering from. And definitely every morning when I would open my eyes, there would be a moment where I would feel overwhelmed with angst and misery. And I was used to saying the line that many Jewish people say upon waking, which I always say since I was a girl and learned it, and it's a line that says, I am grateful to creator of the universe for giving me back my soul. You have tremendous faith in me, which I love because normally I think the dynamic that we learn is that we're supposed to have faith in God, and yet the very first thing we're supposed to say is, wow, I'm back today. You have faith in me. I'm not done. My soul's back. So I would say that line, and then I would say, hope is mandatory. It's not a suggestion, it's not advice, it's mandatory. Go, and I would fling the covers off, and I would say, pretend to be a human. Just pretend you don't have to really be human. You have to pretend to be a human. Because I wanted to lie on the floor in the fetal position weeping, but I knew that he was in agony somewhere and that wasn't going to help, and so we really pushed ourselves. You know, we were exhausted and miserable and truly tormented. I mean, I've aged so much in the last two and a half years, as has John. As you mentioned. I say it in the book like I'm very honest about it. I mean, my body died, I never got my period again. I've never colored my hair, so I had gray in my hair before, but I have a ton of gray in my hair and you know, I've never worn makeup again. I've never worn jewelry again. Like I'm very much a wounded, damaged person, I'm very much a disordered person. But I think that it makes sense given what we went through and then and you know, that was three hundred and thirty days of immense, exhausting beseeching, begging, scraping, pleading, running, burning, and then the angels of death came to our door to tell us that hersh had been murdered. So you know that was going through yet another big frame into this other very unknown place.
Speaker 1: When you saw him and you saw that video of him being loaded onto the back of a truck and his arm had been blown off by a grenade. I know you were so happy that he was alive and to know that, But what was it like to see your son that you had cooked in your belly with no arm?
Speaker 2: It was shocking and confusing. And I only watched it once. John actually watched it many times because he derived a lot of strength from it. He said, he's walking on his own two feet, no one was dragging him. He uses his non dominant arm to get himself up into the pickup truck. The other young men were lying down. They were very badly wounded. He was obviously very badly wounded. He was also burned, and yet he was sitting up. He chose to sit up, and he puts his head down in a crook of what's left of his arm. John derived a lot of strength from that. And interestingly, there is a continuation of that video that I only saw once, and it was after he was killed. On the ride to Gaza. One of the gunmen who had stolen him grabs him by the head. He is his head down, He's lost a lot of blood, so he was probably very lightheaded. Grabs him by the hair and pulls him up and says into the camera, take a selfie with me. And what I love about that moment, and I've only seen it once, is Hirsh looks right into the camera defiant. Yeah, I love it. Even though I was horrific. He was obviously in complete shock and horror and trot. He had just witnessed eighteen young people get murdered in a five foot by eight foot tiny shelter. I mean, picture your bathroom with twenty six people smashed in, including an air who had been standing in the door trying so hard to save these people, throwing out grenade after grenade as they were coming in, and finally they killed him, and Herst saw that. And we also know that those two hecks that we got from him were after his hand was blown off, and so he thought he was dying. And I think about that was how he chose to say goodbye. That a lot of parents tragically had recordings of their children screaming. I mean, imagine how the structure of your being in this world changes when you hear your children screaming as they're dying, and that's the last thing you hear. He chose not to record to us. He just said I love you, I'm sorry, because he knew we were going to be in terrible pain. I was just going to ask you, what do you think that I'm sorry? Was he knew we would suffer terribly and he's right. And interestingly, I know this jumping ahead, but someone pointed out to me and I didn't realize I had done this, but they played it for me that at Hirsh's funeral when they were putting him into the ground. And you know in Israel, when they bury people, we don't use coffins, so he was just wrapped in a shroud which is like a sheet, and you could really see the contour of him, and as they were putting him into the ground, his body, I went like this and I screamed, I'm sorry. I don't remember doing that. But someone said, there's a symbiosis. That was the last thing he said to you, And that's the last thing you said to him. So amazed by you.
Speaker 3: You never cry and interviews it's so rare.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's actually really sad because it just shows how broken I am. Like it's a very human, healthy response, but I also think that I've cried so much. You know, I'm not all here. Part of me is already in the world to come with her, and so I'm not normal. And I referred to it earlier that I read an article by the American Psychiatric Association a few weeks ago that said, if you're still grieving after six months, then you have a disorder. And I was like, I have a disorder, and I'm actually very proud of this disorder. It's called I still love my son. The love is still here. Love is stronger than death. But I am disordered. I mean, I think of in Chicago, growing up they were always those parking meters. I don't know if they have them here in LA, but they were always broken, and so my mom would always leave a note on the parking meter saying the meter is broken, don't give me a ticket. And I feel like the meter was disordered, like it was out of order. And I feel like that, like I am broken, don't give me a ticket. And dis in Latin means the opposite of So I'm the opposite of order. I mean, it's not that I'm unique, because there are millions of people who have buried their children, but that us feel the opposite of the order that I would have preferred.
Speaker 1: I've watched, i think, almost every interview you've done, and no matter how long a journalist has been doing their job, Anderson Cooper, Beyonna, no one can get through an interview without crying. And I'm really wondering how you feel watching other people in pain over pain that only you can really understand.
Speaker 2: I actually really think it's a beautiful human response. I think people really grew to love Hirsh and love a lot of people. We love a lot of people that we've never met. And during the really shocking, sticky, tricky days, that we were trying so desperately to save Hirsh and these other hostages. The world grew to love a lot of those hostages without ever having known them. And forty six of those hostages who were taken alive were killed in captivity, and there are people all over the world who grieved for them and continue to grieve for them because they grew to love them. And I think that there's something really powerful and uniting about that that you can love people that you never met, and you can grieve people you never met. So when I've had these experiences speaking to people and they have the right human, empathetic, kind, merciful, compassionate, graceful response, I think it's the most beautiful personification of the human experience.
Speaker 1: You started wearing a piece of tape every day that Hirsh was gone. It was three hundred and thirty days, and what began as a marker became something that the world really came to recognize.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the first day that you put it on.
Speaker 2: I put it on the first day on day twenty six, and it was because it was driving me to insanity that we were doing ten to fifteen media clips a day because we speak English, so we became very much sort of an easy go to. There were plenty of families that were speaking many different languages, because you know, the original cohort was from more than thirty different nationalities. There were Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists, so there were people speaking all over the world in all different languages. But because we were English speakers, we were speaking a lot to the international English speaking media. And the first question was always how many days has it been since you've spoken to your son? And I just thought, I can't take this anymore. I remembered being a little girl in Chicago one night wandering out of bed. I couldn't sleep, and I wandered into our living room and my dad was watching the news and it was ABC News and there was a show called Nightline and there was a man, an anchor named Ted kopp Both who had this big head of gingy red hair, and he had behind him numbers. And I said to my dad, what is that number? And he said, that's the amount of days that hostages have been held in Iran. And he explained to me, and I was nine years old as a little girl, and he explained me because I didn't know what a hostage was, and I didn't understand what had happened. And I thought back to that, and I thought, I'm going to be the human nightline Ted Copple counter and I went and got tape. And I also thought there was something very accountable. Everyone had to do what felt good to them. You know, some people wore a necklace, some people wore a bracelet, some people wore a ribbon. Everybody did what spoke to them. To me, it was very important to show the failure of another day. That the number changed every day, that my prison number changed every day I was in prison. And I remember on day eighty eight, which I talked about in the book, that I was speaking to a group of college students and a young man raised his hand and it was the most gorgeous question, but it broke me. He said, what can we do to ease your pain? And no one had asked me that in eighty eight days? And I started crying, and I put my hand on the number, and I said, it sounds so naive now thinking back, I said, if God forbid we get to day one hundred, please don't make me be the only person on earth wearing this tape. And by the afternoon, the woman who had organized that trip sent me a picture on WhatsApp of the one hundred students on that trip after lunch. They were all wearing eighty eight. They had started on that day, and we had on day one hundred over a million people sending us pictures selfies of them, and they had started wearing the tape and starting on day one hundred around the world. And you know, this crossed all barriers. It was people of all different backgrounds, all different belief systems, all different brands and textures and colors and faith and philosophies, and everyone was just trying to come together in this painful, out of the ordinary situation by doing something symbolic of saying we are with you, and the days are moving. We were trying so desperately hard, and we continued wearing that tape. We buried hersh on day three thirty two, and you can see pictures of us, you know, standing there bearing him and we're wearing the number. And we kept wearing the number until day eight forty three, when the final hostage was returned back so his family could bury him. You say, on.
Speaker 1: Day eighty eight that student asked you how they could ease your pain, and I can imagine that the outpouring of support from people near and far must have been helpful and overwhelming in just a mix of feelings. Did you feel supported by people? Were you frustrated by what people were saying to you? Could you even deal with somebody else's feelings?
Speaker 2: I was very grateful. I think all of us, all of the families, were tremendously grateful at the outpouring of really kind, manevolent people saying what in the world can we do? We really want to help. I personally had a problem which I still do to this day, and I admit that it's my problem. I actually remember when I was in high school and my mom said, now, if you ever break up with someone, you always have to say it's not you, it's me. She said, it will be them, but you can't say that because it will hurt them. But I am telling you this problem, it really is me, which is people would say to me, how are you? And to this day it's the most excruciating, confusing question that I get. Because when Hirsh was being held, I felt like my leg was in one of those old fashioned like bear traps, like these teeth were chopping into my skin and tearing my tendons. And for someone to say how are you, I felt was like cruel and perverse, but really they meant it in a very innocuous, even kind hearted way. I didn't know how to answer, and I still don't know how to answer. I say, do you not see that there's a knife sticking out of my heart right now? I mean, how can you ask me how I am? It's like walking by someone in the middle of being raped and saying how are you? Like it just seems so perverse, and yet people don't see it. It's not their fault. And I said, someone asked, what does this book do? And I said, I think I'm trying really hard to show you this knife. Like how do you explain to someone who's been blind their whole life what blue is? It's very difficult, but I'm trying to show you blue. I'm trying to show you this pain. And I do have to figure out how do I answer that question. Recently, I was talking to a journalist who said how are you? And so I thought, okay, I'll tell the truth. I said, I'm suffering, and he went huhuh, no, really, how are you? And I said, I'm really suffering. So then we hated each other and we had to start, you know, this conversation. But I thought, when you're asking someone in grief, mourning loss and suffering how they are, you're putting them in a situation where either they tell you the truth and then you feel terrible, or you're making them lie and they have to say, oh, okay, I'm getting there. I'm you know, one day at a time, or you know, trying to breathe or whatever. Again, this is part of my problem because I know another mother who lost her daughter since October seventh, and she told me that when she goes to the grocery store, if people don't ask her how she is, it hurts her. So, you know, it's a really tough tightrope for kind, caring, sensitive people to try to walk.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about how you wrote the book, because you mentioned that you were writing it in the pain, and the way you wrote it showcase that to me, there are a lot of moments of these staccato sentences and space. I almost felt your breath sometimes in that space. Why write the book in such dire pain?
Speaker 2: I think it was very much honestly self serving. I was choking. I was drowning, in suffering, in severe thorny molasses, thic suffering, and I was choking like I felt like I was barely alive. And John said to me, you mean to get this out. I mean I was literally like my throat felt closed. And so I think in a way it was giving the Heimlich to myself. And I'm very honest about it in the book. You know, I said in the beginning, I am still underneath this truck, like I've managed to get one arm out, and I'm typing with one finger hunt and peck. I have no perspective, I have no panoramic distance from this trauma, from this I know there are people who wait and then they're able to sort of collect their thoughts and really give a real sort of comprehensive and smooth explanation of what they're grappling with. I didn't have the time or the privilege of the time of that, because I was drowning. And so that's why I'm also careful. You know, this is not a memoir, this is not a tell all, this is not he did this. And she said that this is not. I was down here and beaten down and now I'm up here. You know, this is the road to recovery and resilience, none of that. I wish it's not what it is. I think it's what a lot of people want it to be, because people want all of us who are broken to be better. And that idea, I think is so complicated because again it comes from such a good nugget of a place. And yet I was speaking to this young woman who was explaining to me, Oh, that kind of rhetoric of you know, you'll get there and you're going to be better, This forced betterness, this forced language of resilience is actually toxic positivity. I was like, oh, my gosh, you're a genius, and she said, no, no, it's an actual term. I didn't come up with it, but I had never heard it before. So I put it on to her and think she's a genius. And then I walked home obsessed with this idea, which I think we do a lot because we're so scared of pain in Western civilization, in our culture, so afraid of pain that you know, it's blocked out. This is probably part of the opioid crisis, is like we don't want to feel anything bad, and I think it's actually emotionally barbaric. It's emotionally gaslighting to people who are really in pain. And I'm not just talking about people who've buried people core to their identity and existence. I'm talking about people who all of us are carrying something that's very painful. That's part of the human enterprise, that's what happens to us. So I went home and I googled what is the antidote? What is the opposite of toxic positivity? And I find this term that's called tragic optimism, and I was like, oh my gosh, beauty, I love it. That's me because I am an optimist, but I am enrobed in tragedy and I'm okay with that. And then, of course you may have heard me talk about this, but I said, who came up with that, right, because like, wow, that's my new identity. Who coined that term? And it was Victor Frankel, who you know, I love well hersh loved Victor Frankel too. While he was in captivity, he would say he who has a y can bear anyhow, which is a line from Victor Frankel's book Man search for meaning. You learned from another hostage, or who had three days with hersh in captivity, what his spirits were like, and or said that he was laughing at some points and really emboldening people with Victor Frankel's line.
Speaker 3: Did you feel a sense of pride?
Speaker 2: I did, and I also felt a sense of comfort and consolation, knowing first of all that he wasn't broken. My assumption was that he was broken. You know, I'm his mother. I see this horrible video. I know from intelligence sources they were telling us that they were starving, they were being tortured, any little bits of information that we were getting, which was not very much, and it was months apart. So my assumption was that he was broken. I knew he had this horrible injury. And then to hear from or Levy, whose name means light, to hear that Kirsch made him laugh. Herst shared his mantra from Victor Frankel, which is actually a riff on something Frederick Mietsche originally said, and then having Eli Shaarabi also talk about her sharing that mantra as well with him. It gave me back a little piece of another piece of being here in this.
Speaker 1: World, something that stood out to me and so many people watching you as you went through the three hundred and thirty days, is that you were able to carry multiple truths at one time. You would cry out for the pain that you were feeling, your pain for wanting to get Hirsh home, and you would also cry out for the pain that the mothers in Gaza were feeling.
Speaker 3: And it was particularly striking, not.
Speaker 1: Just because I think that was so hard for anybody to do in that moment, but you had a son in Gaza being held captive. Why was it important for you to speak that way consistently.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that we are endowed with intelligence and insight and wisdom, and we actually have the ability to hold multiple truths. And this adversarial paradigm that we have constructed that it's them versus us or Team A or Team B has not served us well. And I wanted people to try to really not allow that line to be demarketed. I from the beginning was saying, it's not like such a crazy statement. It's just that I think maybe it was a voice that was not so commonly heard, but I was saying, I am extremely worried and concerned about the innocent civilians in Gaza and not but and I'm extremely worried and concerned about the innocent civilians in Gaza who were dragged there on October seventh. You can hold both of those ideas. And I actually had read a piece by a journalist early on before I went to speak at the UN the first time on day eighteen, and he said, if you only cry when one sides babies die, it means that your moral compass is broken, and therefore your humanity is broken. And I remember thinking, I really pray that. I don't know how long this is going to take, but I don't want my humanity broken. And I was thinking recently because I was reading an article and there was a picture and it was of someone who did not look like me, and he was not from my neck of the woods. And I started crying because it was a picture of someone who had lost his family, and I was so relieved. I thought, well, thank God that my moral compass is still calibrated. It doesn't mean like I'm this awesome person. I'm a normal person. It's just calibrated, like when you start with weighing something, that the scale should start in a fair and balanced way. And it was for some reason, something that people were very surprised to hear.
Speaker 1: I'm going to ask you something, and if you don't want to answer, I understand when people ask you why this happened to your son? What do you say?
Speaker 2: You know? I'm a religious person, a person who really feels a closeness to this idea of God. I think that's a really loaded term God. We all have different ideas of what that means. But I feel very much that we are all one little stitch in a massive tapestry that we are generally not privy to understand and see the whole entire work. We can't see everything, and so we see our little circle that we have our vision honed in on, and we don't have perspective. And I think a lot about how growing up in Chicago, my mother took me to the art Institute often. She really wanted me to be cultured. And her favorite painting was by George Sarrah and it's a pointless painting. So she would put me, now they have ropes, you're not allowed to go as close as we used to go. I actually think they put those ropes up because of us. They were like that lady keeps putting her daughter right next to the painting, and she would say, what do you see? And I would say, oh, it's blurry, It's just it's picks. I wouldn't say it's pixelated, but I'm telling you it was just pixelated. It was just dots of gray and red and blue and green, and I couldn't make sense of it. And then she'd say, close your eyes and take fifteen steps back. I don't know why fifteen, but that was her number, and open your eyes, and then I would see this magnificent masterpiece in front of me. When you're very close to something, you just see the confusion and the chaos. I feel very blessed that I had hersh only blessing. What happened for those three hundred and thirty days before he was killed was obviously twisted and torturous, and so much anxiety and misery and very difficult to describe in words. And yet I also realized it was a privilege to try to save him. I realize that now because usually in life, you know, when we really love people, we say like, I would do anything for you, but we very rarely have to. And we really tried to do every single thing we possibly could, things I still can't talk about that we did, and then he was killed and not everyone has had that opportunity before they lose someone they love to share them with the world, to try so hard to save them. Many people have done that. I have friends who have lost their children to cancer. They tried so hard to save them. And I am able to see, even with this excruciation of suffering and mourning and loss and grief, that there's a how to the why that I have to carry and figure out. And I know that I could have just been a mother to two vivacious, dynamic, delicious daughters, which is what I have now. I have very good friends that also just have two daughters. They're perfect, they're complete, nothing's missing from their family. But we got this additional, magnificent, glorious cookie for twenty three years and three hundred and thirty four days. And I will pay with the pain that price of having had that transcendent gift. And so why did it happen that? I don't know. I'm not privy to that, but I really believe that it is part of a plan. It doesn't exonerate or give a pass to the people in power and in places of influence who could have done things to save him. It doesn't give them a pass, but I really believe there's a much larger picture, and I am thankful that's how I see it, because I think that even with all the suffering that I'm bearing, it would be almost impossible if I didn't have that kind of perspective on what I see as having happened to us.
Speaker 1: Victor Frankel's name comes up in the book and is intertwined with Hersh's story. And my grandma was a Holocaust survivor, and I picture Hersh's face. I feel, you was killed because he was Jewish?
Speaker 2: It was. And you know in Yadvishem Holocaust Museum that's in Jerusalem, in the old entry hall, it's now been redone, there used to be a quote on the wall that said, a person who's killed because he is Jewish is called holy. If you're only killed because of that one reason, it's holy. And I think that Kirsch very much was holy. I think that the beautiful sixth were holy. Edin, Carmel, alex Almo Orie who he was killed with, were holy. I think the forty six who were killed in total in captivity were holy. I think the people who were killed in the Holocaust were holy, and that's also a hard word holy. You know, we'll say things like oh, it means hallowed or sacred. Really holy in Hebrew means separate, different, and they were separate and different.
Speaker 1: You write, our spirits were mangled, and our hearts were stolen, our life was stolen. There is nothing like the feeling of putting someone you carried for nine months inside of your body into the ground.
Speaker 3: I've noticed when you talk about the pain, you touch your chest very often.
Speaker 2: My therapist said that too.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, what does it feel like to carry this around every single day?
Speaker 2: I think it's exhausting and confusing and a gift because it is that love. And I'm very aware that pain is grief, and grief is love that continues to grow after the person is gone, and that's really beautiful and that is never going anywhere. The love that is stronger than death. That's really just this absolutely shining idea. And I love that because I think I talked to Anderson about this that I think hate Peter's out I really do. I think that the strongest force that outlives time and outlives death is love. It's such a privilege. So I'm not good at this. I'm very turned inside out, and I'm ugly in terms of like pulsing and oozing and bleeding. I'm a wounded animal because I love him and I love him the second and he's right here.
Speaker 3: You can feel him still.
Speaker 2: Oh, for sure, all day, I mean, And that's what's exhausting. And John and I talk about that all the time. Again, we're not unique millions of people. I'm only familiar with bearing a child. I've been blessed. I haven't buried parents. I have half siblings who are alive. You know, I did bury grandparents, but I think that I very much expected that one day I was going to bury them, and I had wonderful relationships with them, and nobody had a horrible death. So this is a really challenging weight that I will always carry. And what I'm trying to try to aim for and aspire to is to figure out how do I carry it a little less clunkily and a little bit more gracefully. But I will always have it, and I actually feel really privileged.
Speaker 1: He who has why can bear anyhow is it insane to ask you what your why is?
Speaker 2: Now? We're trying very hard to figure it out. I mean, I think, to me, it's clear that part of our why is to pick up Hersh's why and keep running, even though I think he did his why. That's why he's not here anymore, you know. And I say at one point in the book, because when the final hostages came home who were alive, a lot of people said things to me of the genre of it should have been Hersh. It's not fair. How is it not him? And I said, he's not supposed to be here. And the way I know he's not supposed to be here is that he's not here. You know. I also get a lot of solace from this idea that the patriarch of Jewish mysticism, the Balshemtov, was once asked why do souls come to this world, this messy, tricky, difficult, complex place, like, what is the point? Why are we here? And he said, every soul comes to this world so that one day that soul can do one act of kindness for one other person and that's it. That doesn't mean you don't have to be doing thousands of acts of kindness throughout your life. You do, and to improve things and to live a life of meaning. But it means that really there is one thing in your lifetime, one thing, and it could just be smiling at someone who no one's gentle with. And I thought to myself, could it be that Hirsch did his kindness when he was two and we were living in Berkeley, or when he was six and we were living in Richmond, Virginia. Or when he was fifteen and we were living in Jerusalem, or when he was twenty three and he was in a tunnel under Ratha. I don't know, but it occurred to me maybe I already did my kindness when I was twelve years old, So why am I still here? And I realized maybe someone else has to do their one kindness to me when I'm eighty eight. So I have to stick around because that's the synergy of this enterprise, of being interwoven in the human tapestry of life. And what I do know for sure is Hirsch did his kindness, and he did his Why Rachel, thank you so much? Thank you. Danielle.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day, to have a good day. I'll see you next week.