Speaker 1: Season five is officially behind us, proving that time really flies when you're watching yourself go through puberty on network TV. And for as much as we dreaded season five, we sure seemed to like it more than we expected. Sure we had some starry nights, but we got Eric Hollywood, the Scream episode, and another episode that makes an argument for the best of the series, Heartbreak Corey. And even when it missed, it was fun to talk about, like the Ex Girlfriend's Club or if you can't be with the one you love. So to wrap up this season, we're continuing the tradition of getting the opinions of fans, not just of the show, but also our podcast, our favorite fan cast in the world, brah Meets World and its hosts TC and Siege, have now finished their own rewatch, viewing the program thirty years later with a melanin point of view, and now they once again will sit down with us and ask some of the questions we may have missed or something they'd like to know more about. So welcome back to pod meets World to John Adams transfer students, TC and Siege from brum Meats World.
Speaker 2: Hello, helloy, how's it going, guys doing well, how we want are great.
Speaker 3: We're so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: As always, we are so excited to have you two with us to recap the season, not only the season of Boy Meets World, but the season of Pod Meets World, and to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 4: To ask you, once again, are we ruining anything for you?
Speaker 1: Although I think at this point we feel pretty confident we're not ruining things for maybe nearly maybe some episodes we get a couple of comments here and there that go, you guys always ruin the things I love.
Speaker 3: We've got those same comments. Obviously, we're used to it.
Speaker 5: Don't make us watch Storry Night and we'll be fine.
Speaker 6: A lot of people I think do love Storry Night.
Speaker 7: I think it is.
Speaker 6: It's one of those, you know, it's one of those Cory Tbeanka Touchstone episodes.
Speaker 3: And I'll say this, I don't think you guys have ruined the show for us at all. I kind of loved hearing your discussion on season five. Season five is so and we're going to get into it, just a bit divisive in so many ways that like your debates really mimicked some of the debates that me and see chat. So I kind of liked having like different perspectives brought in asking questions because I feel like there's a lot of unanswered questions this season that you know, things just have to be brought up, and so I appreciate it the commentary.
Speaker 8: In addition to that, it's very much it's validating to know, like TC and I spent so much time, you know, arguing with each other, debating with people online, and as you said, I know there was a point in time we were like, are we too hard on this?
Speaker 7: And it's like, no, again, I love this show.
Speaker 8: I love these characters, and it's important to see that the show, even through your eyes, takes really wild swings. Sometimes those swings really pay off, and then there was Sean and then sometimes you get things, you know how we feel about non canon episodes.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yes, well I will say this, last time we talked, we kind of maybe set some poor expectations because we were like, oh, yeah, you love season four, don't worry season five, it's up there. It's just as good. However, I feel like this might have been a wrong expectation set because it is a fan favorite season, but it's also so inconsistent compared to how season four was where it just kind of delivered a more structured storyline. I just think season five has a lot of memorable episodes that make it stand out, which is why it's a favorite season compared to season four.
Speaker 4: Right, I think you're right. I do.
Speaker 1: We've and we've talked about it on a couple of episodes. It feels like there were a lot of new people brought in. There were some shake ups, some people leaving, Michael coming back, new writers being brought in, and those new writers added a lot of like new fresh ideas and povs. But also it felt like it could have really used a good storyboard before the season got started, like there wasn't a proper plan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it felt like it felt like a trail mix with like two or three ingredients that you just can't stand. Yeah, but then you're not. You still got the chocolate and the things you really love, but you got to pick them out.
Speaker 9: You just gotta, you could easily say, I mean, it could be argued that the best one of the best episode of Boy Meets World ever was in season five, and in my opinion, the worst.
Speaker 5: Episode ever of Boy Meets World was in season five, So we.
Speaker 9: Can guess Starry Night is the worst. It's not just a bad episode, it's the worst thing I've ever seen. No, I'm kidding, it's just I thought it missed on all levels. It did not feel like our show. I thought it felt like.
Speaker 5: A beguine Ricky, but then.
Speaker 7: It is a Plato.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, I it did not do it for me, even slightly so, But then again I and I loved And then there was sean great episode. I loved Eric Hollywood, great episode, but the not being in the episode and just being able to sit back and watch the ski cabin episode with Lauren and that that was arguably my favorite episode of the entire series. It was just great watching that. I thought all the acting was amazing, the writing was amazing. It led to moral conversations my wife and I were having, well who did this and who did that?
Speaker 5: And it just did what television was supposed to do.
Speaker 9: So that, to me is arguably one of the best episodes, if not the best episode of the entire series.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I love that you said that because this talks to your season five, Pop Meets World season five, and to me, the way that you guys handled this was perfect giving. And then there was Sean An entire week been overkilled, but for us, it was everything we needed. I don't know if we shared this story before, but and then there was Sean. It's actually how our podcast got started into podcasting. We couldn't settle on a topic, and we were like, what if we just do like a Halloween episode, and we'll do And then there was Sean, and the moment we started, we laughed, We got into it and we were like, this is it. This is.
Speaker 3: We just knew. We were like, we could talk about this show forever, and that's what it kind of led into.
Speaker 4: That's great, that's so cool.
Speaker 8: But and then there was Sean is so important to the fandom, and like to have the breakdown and the different perspectives and giving the fans the opportunity to share their voice. I think you guys brought the fans in a lot more this season and that really helps, Like the discussions of is it a trap or the heartbreak, giving time and actually discussing heartbreak Corey in that way.
Speaker 7: We know that you felt differently.
Speaker 8: About it, but these at the eisodes were really really important to the audiences, So we really think that you approached those episodes really well.
Speaker 9: Well, one of the things we've talked about, which is something that we kind of have been saying over and over again, is that we are trying not to forget that every single episode of the show is somebody's favorite episode. Yeah, so you know, if you go in with that, you've got to remember that. Okay, I might destroy Starry Night, but for some people, it's their favorite episode of the series, and that neither of us are wrong. You know, that's just the way that it is. But it's been a ton of fun to talk about, that's for sure. But we also season five had a lot to do with the director too, so bringing in a new director, and we remembered him as being a phenomenal guy, which he was a phenomenal guy to work with. At least Ryder and I had really good experiences with him. I think Danielle did as well.
Speaker 1: But I don't have any negative experiences with him. I just remember being a little apathetic, like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, right, where some people did not have the best experiences with him, but we remembered him as being a phenomenal director. And there's some episodes where it just kind of the direction was a little bit lacking. So there's stuff that we remember even ourselves that we remembered wrong.
Speaker 5: Frankly, so week to week, and.
Speaker 3: You guys are gonna have a different perspective than like, for example, I've watched and then there was Sean every years since it aired on Halloween.
Speaker 7: Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna have in neatly a different relationship with episodes like that than you guys will. And I again love hearing your behind the scenes perspectives.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things, just as we're kind of initially starting about season five that I just wanted to touch on was that, like obviously there was this push for like more mature themes and like almost like this WB Dawson's Creek influence that was kind of invading in Like throughout the season, you guys were kind of talking about this melodramatic shift about I guess we were kind of thinking, like, do you feel like this helped the show mature with this audience or do you feel like it maybe went a step too far at certain points.
Speaker 6: Hmmm, that's a good question.
Speaker 9: I think I can answer it instantly. It went a step too far at a certain point. I mean, again, Starry Knight is so melodramatic that it was kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 5: It really was young teen soap opera.
Speaker 6: And it just think about season four with the cult episode or you know, we've done pretty serious dramatic stuff.
Speaker 5: Before, so dramatic is different than melodramatic.
Speaker 9: And so the drama that Sean went through in season four to me was different than like the Corey into pangawin Universe and yes, right and Ricky Ferris, which to me was just again, no Jonathan Jackson. He did with that character what they gave him, so his fault even slightly, but the characters are so like you're seventeen in Philly, and it just seemed ridiculous. So I think there was I think Dawson's Creek did really have an influence on our show, and I think, like our show tended to do occasionally, we dove in headfirst and then realized maybe that was too far and slowly started to pull back occasionally. But we haven't seen six and seven yet, so maybe it is.
Speaker 1: We also don't really know how much of our show was really on the bubble for this season and needing to get to a point where we had the cliffhanger, like when did they know we want Corey and to Panga to end this season engaged and on a cliffhanger of are they going to get married? Because in order if they know that the season has to end there, because they're hoping for it to make a decision, for it to impact whether or not we get picked up, they'd better they have to set that up to be a meaningful enough impact. So I think I think the season went too far with the I did it at least appreciate in the episode where everyone's sitting in the boys apartment and it's like, who's.
Speaker 4: Sick of the Corey Intopanga thing?
Speaker 1: And everybody kind of raises their hand, and to me, it felt like a little bit of a meta moment, like we are honestly all sick of this being the topic week after week. So I at least ignite liked that we acknowledged that, but it felt like it was way too of an adult storyline about a marriage with three children than two seventeen year olds who've been together for a long time.
Speaker 8: I have a question, like speaking of like the influences of like WB Dawson's Creek for Friends.
Speaker 7: Even we talked.
Speaker 8: About these shows we in our mind. We were like, Okay, obviously there may be like show notes or like that's what's in the atmosphere. However, those shows also have strong female characters. One of the things about this season is we get the addition of Angela, and so you would think that that would give us more storylines. You've mentioned there's more women in the writer's room. However, we don't seem to have more female characters. Why do you think or more strong female characters are in depth female characters.
Speaker 7: Why do you.
Speaker 8: Think like they are pulling from these influences, but like not for certain characters leadership.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they just didn't.
Speaker 6: Just didn't.
Speaker 7: That's what it was.
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, Michael Jacobs was it was his show, and he was he was writing essentially about himself. You know, he was Corey and he was running the room. And this is the point of view we're going to go. I mean, we just watched the graduation episode and it's like Tapanga has the opportunity to finally get up and give a nice graduation speech, and it's like, nope, take away.
Speaker 1: Sean and I said in our graduation episode, I said, I have a confession to make. I'm really bored by Tapanga. I'm bored. I'm bored by her. I honestly, I'm having a hard time even caring about where she goes to school, her date with with Ricky Boring. I don't know. I don't know who Tapega is. I don't know who she is. What does she writer said? What does she even want to study at Yale? Do we know?
Speaker 6: What do we know about dancing?
Speaker 4: For one episode?
Speaker 1: That's something you know, they they when the random hobbies they decide to give us randomly.
Speaker 4: You know, Topanga loves to dance.
Speaker 1: We'll never photographer, Shann's photographer will never hear about that again. Sean was really good in marketing. We never heard about that again, which, by the way, bring a great weather man.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, it's it was what we kind of needed. It's that's why this season five just kind of felt like a hodgepodge to me. Yeah, and that's why I'm dying to know if we were going to get canceled halfway through.
Speaker 4: I know, the season of Convenience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but going back to your original question, we did get the script of the original and then there were Sean from Jeff Manel and one of the things that I noticed is that the opening scene was just to Panga and Angela talking for like two pages. It was just it was like a scene, and it was like, oh, let's cut that, let's just make it. You know, they just walked.
Speaker 7: I mean they were never really.
Speaker 5: Talking about but it was.
Speaker 7: It was interesting.
Speaker 6: It was like almost you know, because of course that episode is all from Shawn's perspective and Shawn's but they had this scene with Angela and Tapanga discussing and it was like, oh right, Jeff did write it in his original draft. And then it's just like, no, no, we don't need that.
Speaker 9: That Bechtel test though, I'm starting to really pay attention to that. Like the scene in the graduation episode where she sits down with Feenie. I was like, she gonna mention Corey, She's gonna mention Corey and she didn't, which which I was like, Okay, it has to be two women will And I was just hoping, Hey, it's one step ahead of us for our show for a female character not to be talking about Corey.
Speaker 5: We're one step closer.
Speaker 3: So yeah, speaking of Corey for us, season five kind of marked a turning point on Corey for us, Like I guess at this point we're struggling to find him likable. And I think that you know, during the nineties, like you know, me and Sez are talking about how he's watching The Sopranos for the first time, and there's like this rise of anti hero which kind of like, uh, popularized this idea of showcasing a character's flaws but also owing like the repercussions of those flaws and the way that we didn't feel really happened with Corey a lot this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, he's he's emotional, which is understandable, but it's the indignance that that that creeps in the righteousness that that that bugs me. You know. It's like, you can be upset, you can be hurt, you can be freaking out about Topango or whatever like that, you can't control these things, but you know, there's there's a tone of like just righteousness and and and and indignation that anybody would ever treat him this way and that all whenever whenever a scene dipped into that, I was just like, oh, this is hard to do.
Speaker 9: But then we'd also get Corey some Corey's that we loved, like Corey with Chickens, in the hallway, you know, we get that kind of Corey where he's just and the The one thing we talked about with Heartbreak Corey was Danielle I think noticed this as well. We were talking about the fact that it seemed like both Corey and Ben were more of an adult in this scene in that episode then we'd seen him before, which is one of the reasons all of a sudden people started to root for Corey and Lauren because it was like, well, look at this version of Corey with this woman as opposed to the other version of Corey with me.
Speaker 6: He actually listens to and she influences is thinking and changes like, yeah.
Speaker 9: She had conversations and but then yeah, So that was what I mean by the hodgepodg is we would see occasionally look at each other and be like, oh my god, my favorite version of Corey. Look what he's doing. It's the best. And then it's like, oh wow, now the universes against him, and yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was strange.
Speaker 9: Everything was kind of but I guess you could say the same thing about Eric. I mean, Eric was went like this through the episode, through the episodes as well.
Speaker 5: It just kind of was whatever we needed at the time.
Speaker 1: I think this season had some of my favorite Ben moments. Ben Ben performance wise had some great moments. The drinking episode had some great moment Ben in Eric Hollywood. Some of those moments then as like me.
Speaker 5: Like me, I mean there's some wasn't that this season? I know where we are anymore?
Speaker 3: I think will Zach Morris, I think, well, you mentioned that during the Scream episode, like it felt like all of the kind of gags that were going on during the like the rehearsals actually made it onto the screen. And it does feel like all of you felt more confident in your performances throughout the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well except.
Speaker 4: For Tapanga, who's just boring as hell.
Speaker 1: I go from having like personality and quirks and moments to every scene with Tapanga for the last like five episodes is.
Speaker 4: Like, what do you think I should do? Mister Feeney, Yeah, thanks for sharing. I know what I want to do with my life.
Speaker 8: I have to say we have like, of course we are ahead of you. So we've looked and I've been very much. I look forward to seeing what Danielle feels about this storyline or because like everything that you're talking about, I think it's easy to see. But that being said, we also feel like some as you were saying, there are high notes. There are certain things where it's like, even if we don't like it, it's true to the characters. Like when we were looking at a very Topanga Christmas, at first we didn't like it, but then we in retrospect, we were like, this may be the most accurate.
Speaker 7: Reflection of their relationship. So it's good. It's good to know. It's good to have that bag.
Speaker 3: What I said about a very Topanga Christmas was if you go back and watch The Grass Is Greener from season three, where they're like, hey, maybe we should break up before we hate each other, and then you watch a very Topanga Christmas, it's almost like, oh, you guys are repeating and falling into the same traps that you always have, and this seems to just be a pattern in your relationship in a way that is very reflective of who Corey and Tapana actually are versus who you know, we're being told that they are.
Speaker 1: Right exactly versus idealized version of who they think they should be together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, going back, just.
Speaker 1: Your point about Corey and some of what writer was saying about him, being indignant. There were that episode Things Change where it's kind of the whole point of it that he is really unlikable, and both writer and I and Will we all had notes in our notes about like, oh yeah, and then when it's revealed, hey, Eric comes in and kind of saves the day.
Speaker 4: It says a lot about you.
Speaker 1: And these are things that are good, things that are happening for your friends, you need, and that kind of becomes the point of it.
Speaker 4: I am so.
Speaker 1: On board for there being an unlikable character when the reveal is, hey, bro, you're really unlikable and that's not a cool way to be because that is how kids learn. Like we all have those thoughts, especially as teenagers where it's like me, me, me.
Speaker 6: Me, hold on, I'm just realizing. Like so, that episode is the one before graduation, and that episode ends with Corey being like, Eh, everything's going to change.
Speaker 9: Yeah, life, I.
Speaker 6: Guess it's all over. And then the next season, the next episode is here, let's celebrate. There's like no re yeah or more.
Speaker 5: You could I guess you could.
Speaker 9: You could argue that he's faking it, which is what that scene means in the scene where they where he says are you really supportive where he's like, Hey, this is how it's gonna be, what it's gonna be, I'm gonna put on my best face, and chickens in the hallway were really inside he's dying. So I mean, I guess you could argue that, but I don't know if that was necessarily written to or.
Speaker 6: That's the justification like after the fact.
Speaker 8: You know, one of the things that we noticed with the enjoyment of Corey and the show overall is that the show is best when we are learning with Corey, and it seems like we stop learning, like when we bring in Fate, it starts to lean on fate and believe and like things are supposed to be a certain way, and so you don't have to learn anything. And if he doesn't have to learn anything, then there are no consequences to anything, and that kind.
Speaker 7: Of like effects.
Speaker 8: So you're right, Corey is the most fun when he's learning or when there's a lesson to learn, and when there isn't and.
Speaker 11: He's just like I know, and when he's teaching. When he's teaching, right, he's like Chapanga, you don't know, but I do, Sean, you don't know, but I do right, Wow.
Speaker 3: And he becomes a teacher? How about that?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh you know.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 3: We like we said we had things that we loved about this season, we also had things about the season that we didn't really, I don't know, necessarily agree with you guys on or different takes that we had, Like, for example, you guys really didn't care for brothers the kind of season over?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eric comes back home and Corey promises to find him a place to stay. Things take a strange turn when Eric's new roommate turns out to be Sean's half brother Jack for.
Speaker 5: No reason at all.
Speaker 3: One of the things that we actually enjoyed about this episode was that it showed Chet trying to be a better parent while also acknowledging his limitations in the way that we found really interesting. We go crazy for any Chet, so it's always a standout for us in that way.
Speaker 9: But why why why make him the brother? Like, what what do we gain out of him being a hunter?
Speaker 3: This is actually that leads to another question we had actually about Matt Lawrence joining the show, because we've loved Matt Lawrence h since Missus doutfire See has been in love with all the Lawrence Brothers, since it was age appropriate by the way, but they bring him in in the first half of the season is almost completely dedicated to building his relationship with Sean, and then they almost completely abandoned that second half to focus on his chemistry with Eric. So it just had us thinking, like, could they have done something to make his character and storyline hit a little bit harder? Like see just saying that, like if he started off as more of a rich boy snob and softened over time, maybe that would have created more character dynamics, where as, like with Will, I agree, I think he should have just been brought in as a roommate. So I guess, how do you feel about Jack as a character being brought into the season and introduced to us?
Speaker 2: Not great?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's yeah, I mean I think you know, actually, I feel like, when you know, we were criticizing those first couple episodes, I hadn't remembered the episode where we end up moving into each other's or he moves into my room and we wrestle and all that that was great, Like that kind of conflict and tension between us, I thought really actually did work. But for the most part, no, I just think unfortunately they were really stoked on going for the drama between him and me, and it's just a bummer to have that guy come in and have basically no character and just have conflict between us that's kind of manufactured and it's all backstory and then it's like backstory revealed. I don't know, it's just it's and I feel bad for Matt Lawrence not having much to do for a while, and a lot of these episodes he's just plugged in and just there.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 9: But I think that's almost what they did sometimes, is they plug somebody in and then they'd let them find where they belong, if that makes sense. So it was like, oh, okay, well the scenes with Eric and Jack seem to be working better, so now they're going to be It's like what happened with Eric and Feenie. It was like, Oh, what's gonna be Corey Feenie? Well, the Eric Phoene stuff was working. What if we put them together? So it's almost like, let's throw them in and then let's see where they find their level.
Speaker 6: And I think Matt and I were just too much of the same vit like neither one of us were funny enough to or characters weren't extreme enough to push like to a you know, interesting scene for the most part, So I disagree.
Speaker 8: I feel like you've talked about it when he when Matthew Lawrence leans into what we call like that Lawrence acting, which is like, you know, like you can kind of hear Joey yeah, or I think will you called it the Tony Danza approach.
Speaker 7: I don't really know her. He's doing that. It's fun and I believe.
Speaker 8: I think they just didn't allow or in my mind, as you said, maybe if it was storyboarded, it would have like they could have had like.
Speaker 7: A through line. One of the fandreies we had is that like Chet knew that Jack was in town.
Speaker 8: And like the first episode is like all a setup, and that to me is just like a better, more interesting story to tell of like, oh, Jack and Chet are doing this because Chet knows he can't take in Sean, and Sean needs someone. He's gonna need a place to live, he's gonna, you know, have something, so like it gives him like an anchor while also allowing them to work out their brother dynamic. And if that's how you go into the show, then it kind of makes more sense and it's a little bit more fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did kind of end up changing my opinion. When we first started the season, I was very much on the team of.
Speaker 4: Why does he need to be Sean's.
Speaker 1: Brother, But seeing how little we mentioned any family for Sean after having multiple seasons be fully devoted to his home life, the fact that Jack represents Hunter family for Sean is so needed.
Speaker 4: Otherwise it would have just been like dropped off.
Speaker 1: Yes, this kid's just out in space, and there's so many there's so fewer Matthew's family scenes that involve Sean feeling like a member of a family. As a matter of fact, there's scenes where Alan says you, you've always been the bad influence. If he had no familiar you know, stakes and Alan's yelling at him, I think it would have been very jarring. So by the time the season ended, I was actually really grateful that Jack.
Speaker 4: Was kind of that like family presence for him.
Speaker 1: But when we first started, it made no sense to me, and I was surprised by how many references to this is my brother, that's my little brother. Why do we always end up wrestling because we're brothers? Like we went into a thing Amp's never going to be mentioned again, but it is, even if very casually. You guys, being bonded by blood is.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Jack's not the only character that we get this season. We also get a new character in Angela, who, by the way, is maybe our first black student since Third Seat Kid number two.
Speaker 6: You're right, yep, but what really is there no black guest stars up until I.
Speaker 13: Think there's maybe some here, but not students. Alex is air but like, yeah, yeah, but one of the things about Angela is like she was brought in to be Sean's girlfriend into Penga's best friend.
Speaker 7: But we don't really know if.
Speaker 3: The show succeeded in developing her as either of those things.
Speaker 9: Nope, which is a shame because we've the one thing that we've noticed is that the episodes where they give her something to do, she's amazing.
Speaker 4: She's such a scar out, she's great.
Speaker 9: And so to look back at it and be like, man, they didn't use her already? Again, woman, I don't think I know, it sounds terrible. I don't think black or white has anything to do with it. It's woman on our show. It's that's kind of different. It's just, yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: It's white, but it's really important.
Speaker 8: And this is something like we were talking about episodes where we wanted to like see things that you missed or like we disagreed with.
Speaker 7: In the if you Can't Be the One You.
Speaker 8: Love episode the Drink the Drinking episode, you talk about the fact that, like they push Trina against the wall, Angela's character is consistently and I was like, whether, like, I do know that there are lots of people who are like, well Trina was like fine with it, or like she thought it was like all in good fine, But as a viewer, as a black viewer.
Speaker 7: To see the way that they handle.
Speaker 8: The black character. They don't ever push to peg it into a locker. They never shut me. So if you're gonna say that, oh, it was a bit and the bit worked and that's why they kept doing it, then why aren't they doing it any of the other female characters. It's this idea that black women are more durable, Black women can handle more And as a black viewer, you just like it's not to say that it can't be funny, but you do notice why are they treating this this way and the other characters differently?
Speaker 3: And I mean even in the drinking episode, Sean goes above and beyond to apologize to Tapanga and Feenie, and I don't know that he ever even says sorry to.
Speaker 4: Angelo for hitting her, not on camera.
Speaker 5: No, we talked about that.
Speaker 9: We talked about that, how strong it would have been had Angela turned and said, if you ever put your hands on me again.
Speaker 6: We don't do that, don't I say something? We do have some moment right.
Speaker 1: Cause where you said, you say you don't like it when I drink, I don't. You don't like me when I drink. I don't either, And she says, great because I really like you when you don't. And then you kiss her on the cheek and you guys walk in together. There's no actual apology.
Speaker 3: Thanks ye.
Speaker 8: This brings up the fact a lot of this series tends to tell, not show. And that's kind of one of the things that we noticed that you noticed, is that very often things will happen off camera, And I guess like that begs the question what would you have liked to see? Like, what scenes do you think are like missing or on the cutting room for that would actually help some of these storylines we just talked.
Speaker 1: About one in the graduation episode. That the missed opportunity for there not to be a scene between Sean and Turner where him making the decision that he's why he's going to do right, why he's going to do the project, and what these years have meant to him. Turner would would have been the perfect person. Sean could have even sought him out wherever.
Speaker 4: He was teaching.
Speaker 1: Now he's in a new location or he's doing something else, but he goes to him and he has the conversation about how he realizes he didn't live up to his potential like that could have been.
Speaker 4: That was definitely a missed opportunity.
Speaker 6: I think anything with Angela and the idea that you have two couples, right, like you have a Corey and a Sean, or two pairs of friends who are dating each other, right, it means that you had the opportunity to have to Panga and Angela be their own Corey and Sean, and they could have been scheming to do things, or making mistakes or miscommunicat you know, And they did a little bit of that with a dancing episode, right, but I wanted more that, Like any scene with the two of you making decisions or having your own anything separate from us, it would have been great. And like especially watching in the Starry Night episode when you guys had scenes were you talking and you know, you're still talking about Korey and guys, but it was funny and Trina was hysterical and you had like banter and like also with the letter, like these were great scenes. So if you guys had been given your own B plot, C plot, anything that then we had to react to as opposed to us always you know, Corey and Sean always initiating whatever the conflict was, would have been so easy and so fun and appreciated. But you know, so I think anything with Angela.
Speaker 3: Because I think at one point they're like, oh, we're best friends, and I was like, when did that happen?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, now it's exactly I think.
Speaker 9: If I had to pick something, it would have been it would have been a massive change to the show. But when I think that was necessary or needed, which is the they totally missed the boat on the will they won't they?
Speaker 5: I think they should.
Speaker 9: Corey and Tapanga should have broken up, and they should have been broken up for a season, and they should have dated other people and they should have seen what else was out there, and it would have led to whole different groups of storylines. Wow, I did meet somebody I like different, or oh it's and then are they going to get back together?
Speaker 3: What happens?
Speaker 5: Are they going to kiss this night?
Speaker 9: I think they just left a whole bunch of stories on the table.
Speaker 6: By now also would have forced the writers to include Topanga in a way that she's not just the girlfriend, because you know, if they if they were broken up, but she is still a regular on the show, they would have had to account for this person's presence on the show and in our lives, which would have been great because it would have been an opportunity to be like, oh, Corey and Tobanka actually do have a friendship, They actually do talk about these things, Sean and Tapanga actually talk about things other than corn like. Any of that would have just made the show richer and better, and Topanga richer character.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you talk about it in Eric Hollywood about by the way, I agree with you. We've just done the rewatch and I completely forgot that the subplot or the b plot of Eric Hollywood is chicken pox. But in that episode we actually do get one on one with Sean and Topanga, and it's like, that's that's a great thing, and we want more of that. You want to see more dynamics. And I think, like, I look to you guys like Pod meets World. I love listening to you because it also gives me an insight to television, which I love and I grew up watching. And I think that as I look at other ensemble casts, you're like, Oh, what makes it magical is when you do get time with different unexpected pairings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 9: I'm just thinking about now. My head is going to where all the stories could have gone. I mean an episode down the line where maybe Tonga starts dating Jack, like you never know. You could have done so because friend groups, when you're all in a friend group, you know, people hook up, you go, this one goes with this one.
Speaker 7: That's so.
Speaker 9: I mean, they're each Tapanga secretly as a boyfriend, and it's a whole conversation with Angelo, it's a whole thing. Why should I I can't tell Corey, It's like, you're single, What do you mean you can't. They could have done so much with it, which then would have also established the women as characters on their own, which then when we all get into college, then we're all together, and then you know, everybody, we're all separate characters. We've all got, you know, really distinguished personalities, and now you go from there. It would have I think they left a lot on the table, and they did it all for the fact that we have to be together. The universe wants us together. We can't spend more than two episodes apart. And I think they they really drop the ball on that.
Speaker 7: Is that what it is?
Speaker 8: And I asked that question because one of the things that we've always wanted to know is like what what do you think the motivation is it? Is it the showrunner, is it the network? What is like keeping these things protected? And like like down to we've talked about this before. The story seems to like bend over backwards to keep Corey in good light. Like in the drinking episode, for example, Corey brings the liquor and the story isn't about Hey, Corey, you brought liquor. And by the way, you know that your best friend's father has a history with alcohol and you're aware, Like if that's not the lesson, the lesson at the end of it is Sean, you have a drinking problem, and you're like what, And then the same thing with the breakup. The breakup happens, and the the story arc itself is like Topanga, you ruined us.
Speaker 7: So we were like, is that is that? Showrunners?
Speaker 8: Is that network? What keeps the main character protected? And do you think that there was anything that like could have helped the show.
Speaker 1: Expand I think overall there is a There is definitely a network desire, at least to a certain degree, a network desire to keep all of the main characters somewhat likable. They can have flaws, but you have to be able to understand why they have those flaws, like, oh, Sean is a tortured soul, but we know why and we have empathy for him. So you have to be able to have empathy for your lead characters.
Speaker 4: But I think the.
Speaker 1: Very straightforward answer for who's protecting Corey is it's Michael Jacobs. It was Michael Jacobs writing a show from his POV and he is supposed to represent the Cory character. And I don't know that Michael necessarily takes blame for you know, takes blame for anything.
Speaker 7: Does that apply to Jack too?
Speaker 8: And I asked because Jack, as you said earlier, I feel like I think one of you mentioned it in the beginning, if Jack was allowed to be flawed, if he was allowed to like be hated a little bit, a little too snobby or one of the things that I and this isn't like much of a spoiler, but like a head cannon in me, it's like Jack doesn't like Corey.
Speaker 7: They and it would be great to get like.
Speaker 8: An outside perspective of like someone who's not as endeared to Corey, doesn't have the history so he can kind of see things objectively.
Speaker 7: And I feel like there are preto times where we're like, well, why.
Speaker 8: Didn't we make Jack a little bit more unlikable? And then again this story, Oh god, it.
Speaker 6: Would have been so good if he was like wearing a three piece suit and has all this money and like it's really nice to Sean but also just lives this completely different lifestyle that they will never understand each other, and then they're constantly trying to like it would have been. It could have created so many great fireworks and sparks, and yeah, I don't know. I think they just didn't. They just didn't have an idea. They just came in. You know, it's like, oh, we got to get him on the show. And I think they were Yeah, I think they were worried that he would be unlikable. But that's such a mistake, such a mistake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, nobody's unlikable. But I mean, when you think about it, nobody on the show is unlikable, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, So I have a question just because we're talking about Michael Jacobs. You guys shared a few stories of Michael just maybe just giving you guys a little bit too hard of a time on set or during script readings, seemingly to like provoke a certain performance or teach a lesson, like the Shakespeare incident with Will or like killing off jenniferluff Hewitt just to make a point, Like do you think these were I mean, these seemed like they were unnecessary challenges, And I guess I would say, like, in today's acting world, how do you think you could like challenge actors without going to such extremes?
Speaker 8: Because that said, I will we joke about it often, but there does seem to be a difference in the way that like child actors act. Now it seems like people look at acting and studying acting differently, so we are like, how do you get it to where like the child actor understands the joke and like you are embracing the humor or like the spirit of the humor without having to be like this is how you say it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you empower them, I mean you, you you you support them and you empower them to take risks, and it will always be better, like, it will always be better if if an actor gets to make it their own, no matter how young they are, if they get to you know. And the reality is, even if you have the perfect line reading in your in your mind a rhythm that a joke probably is best delivered in, you can wait all week and do that. When the cameras are rolling, just be like, oh, by the way, for this next take, try it this way, or I want to hear it this way, just once for me, because this is the way I wrote it. You can do that respectfully and and and and still empower people to feel, you know, because the result is actors make less choices when they feel that they're going to make the wrong choice and be told that they're they did they did a bad performance, and they did the wrong thing, and they the point, and why didn't you read it this way? That's the way, the only way that this works. It's my way, and you have to say it just like this. Eventually you're gonna have actors who just show up and say tell me how to do it, which is what happened to me. I mean, you know when I left, by the time I left Boyban's world, that was that was a kind of actor. I was kind of proud of that. I was like, hey, just tell me what to do. I'll do it, you know, like basically I'm an instrument. Use me and I'll just you know. And what that meant was that I wasn't creative on my own. I wasn't making my own choices, which as an adult actor I can be like, oh my god, that's like that's what makes a great actor is when you know, especially as a director or writer, when you're opposite somebody who's bringing their own energy the way that like I think will brought all the time, like we'll always have this, you know, and and I think, but you know, for for the rest of us, it was I felt beat down, you know, like by the end of the boy.
Speaker 9: As an actor, it truly is a bad decision is better than no decision at all, right, you know, and and you know, again I've talked about this. I had a different relationship with Michael, A slightly different relationship with Michael. But Michael is very very family oriented. So in his mind, especially Danielle ryder Ben, those were his kids. That's how he looked at it. These are my children. And so I think it came it came from a place and again I'm not trying to speak for Michael. I do not know, but I think it came from a place of he genuinely believed, he thought he was doing the right thing for them and their careers. I think it came from a place of now, if you do it this way, you're gonna get the laugh, You're gonna understand the laugh, and people are gonna like you more, and your career is going to be better. Like that's where Michael was coming from. Again, not the best way to handle young actors or children at all. And it's funny because you were talking about the differences in how child acting has changed Shameless Plug. But other podcasts I do, Magical Rewind. We just interviewed Christopher Knight, who played Peter Brady, on The Brady Bunch, and I asked him, I was like, well, was it like being a child actor in the seventies and sixties and seventies is like, Oh, we didn't exist. He's like, we didn't have dressing rooms, they didn't give us parking spots. They didn't care if we were the ones who signed our contracts. We did not matter. We were there to say the lines the way we were supposed to say the lines, and we were supposed to be We're still from an age where children are supposed to be seen and not heard. And that He's like, that was how it was as an actor too, to the point where he said he didn't even audition with lines for The Brady Bunch. He said, I sat down at the desk with the guy with Sherwood Schwartz who created the show, and he put some toys on the table in front of me, and we started playing and I walked out and I had the part, Like it.
Speaker 5: Wasn't even about acting.
Speaker 9: So we see the changes of how they're they're coming. And now obviously you get child actors that come out that are multi talented.
Speaker 5: You get a Sabrina Carpenter.
Speaker 6: Who I think, yeah, child acting has gotten so much better in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly who I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, your average child actor now is like so much different, so much better.
Speaker 9: Because it's getting better all the time. It's getting better all the time. We were right in the middle there where we weren't the seventies and eighties kids were. Thankfully, it seemed like the days of robbing the liquor stores and really having terrible times and serious, horrible drug app problems were it did happen. We're slowly starting to decrease, and now I think it's even better than it was. But it's you know, it's a process all the way through. And Michael was in the cusp of being one of those producers from back in the day and one of those producers now.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it was a strange dynamic, especially for these three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's funny that you say that.
Speaker 8: It reminds me of I don't know if you saw Andrew McCarthy's documentary.
Speaker 7: Brats, but he talks about how like in.
Speaker 8: The nineteen eighties, late nineties, like young Hollywood is a new thing, like the idea that like the child or the teen could be the start or new So you like you're giving contacts that like, oh, the nineties is this transition period of like admitting that children can And so I guess they obviously weren't going to get it right on the first go around, and it's good to hear that, like it's changing now and that like actors have different child actors have a better chance at like the craft. But to that, I want to say, you already got your praises from the cast. But we also watched Eric Hollywood, and in that episode we were like, Will can do anything, And I just think that it's important because knowing that you know what your experience was in acting, we want to reaffirm that, like you could do anything, like the.
Speaker 7: Talent that you have, like the I think in that.
Speaker 8: Same episode you made like an occidental joke and like I'm for five minutes.
Speaker 7: Straight because I'm like, that's all the top of its head.
Speaker 8: But like the ability to like then witch into drama is amazing, And so I think what we want more than anything is for the Wills of the future to like know that they can, you know, do anything and like not feel trapped by the system.
Speaker 9: Well that's very sweet, and I will say, yes, it was that was a that was a tough week for me. But for the most part, unlike Writer and Danielle and Ben, Michael gave me a lot of freedom. He really did, which is which is was why it was sometimes so strange to see how different it was with with writer, Ben and Danielle. And it's also because they were carrying the show. I mean they were, you know, at least they you know, at least we thought they were. And now we look back in it and it really was rider show. But it was you know, writer was carrying a lot of it.
Speaker 5: And the character you were changing.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of it is too just age. You know, you just came in older, and I think that there was less pressure on the character of Eric to be a certain thing, so there was you got to define it, and they, you know, Michael saw you discover it and then followed where you were going as an actor, which is the way ideally it should go, right, is that you get a cast and then you start working. And I think for me he did the same thing. It was just towards this dramatic, less comedic side, which you know, I think he saw that I could do and kept kept you know, writing towards, which I thought was cool in a lot of ways. But yeah, I think especially when it came to comedy, like I feel like I gave up after season four. You know, it's just like I just don't even try to make jokes. I don't even try to be funny. I'm just like kind of half asking any of the comedy stuff, taking the drama seriously. But I and I think that's in part, you know, because when I watched those first three or four seasons, I was like, oh, I was actually funny at times, like I couldn't do very but but but don't you feel like by the by the end of the show, like we all sort of Writer doesn't do comedy. Writer is not a comedy guy, which is strange because you're yeah, weird, Yeah I should have I don't know.
Speaker 5: You got the brunt of the Dawson's Creek.
Speaker 7: Push is a problem.
Speaker 5: You You became the star of our Dawson's Creek, and that was how they went.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you had the hair, so and you had the and you were in all the teen magazines and you were the kid.
Speaker 6: So because I should have been on Dawson's Creek, let's just be Dawson's Creek.
Speaker 9: You just didn't want to wait rider, I don't run away.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this actually transitions a little bit into my next question, which is, you know, we talked about Eric Hollywood, which you guys loved, we actually felt differently about, Like.
Speaker 7: There's so many episodes this season where we were like is this canon or not?
Speaker 3: Like did the Salem Cats show up or not? Like where are we? And and like the Cannon aspect. And I guess, like you guys do a lot of experimental episodes. What makes an experimental episode like and then the Rashan or like Eric Holly would work and what makes it not work? And you know what kind of experimental episodes do you think would have fit into the show. Do you think you should have done like a real hardcore Dawson's Creek parody episode, or what other episodes are themes do you think you could have played with?
Speaker 9: I personally think they work. That's that's how I even wanted to do. No, No, that one didn't work. You're right, I know that one, But that's a that was a forced episode.
Speaker 5: Had to do that because of this Salem Witch.
Speaker 6: Salem Witch worked for you? That yes, that totally worths Witches.
Speaker 9: It was such a funny and but one of the reasons is because you were so funny in that one rider. You were hysterical and like, hey I'm here with the coven, like, oh god, it was great.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's I.
Speaker 6: Think it's best when when when it's clear what we're parody parodid, you know, like I think like and then there were Sean, It's like it's set up, we're doing this genre thing with the World War two one. I'm like, are we making fun of World War two movies? I think we're you know, And they were trying to do this like dramatic mellow you know, to Panga Cory thing, but that just didn't connect. I wanted it to be like referencing specific things. So I think, like, don't we do a Casablanca episode down the line, Like I think something like that is better than just like completely unhinged. And I think even Eric Hollywood had a focus of we're making fun of ourselves and that it's like it's like the audience is invited in to know what the absurdity is sort of about. So yeah, I would say that that like if you know, and I think like the nineteen fifties episode did work for me, mostly because I didn't know Happy Days. I didn't get the I don't get why these guys are walking in and asking about Potzy or what. I don't even know what any of that was. That's right, but you know that's where I go like, what are we referencing? So I think the more you're clear, like what what it is that we are making fun of, or what what heightened world we're entering, I think it's fine to do it, but we just sometimes had a little muddled entry into those those worlds.
Speaker 1: I think some of what we're missing though, is that it worked at the time on the night when you were watching all four shows you normally watch from eight to ten participate in the same thing.
Speaker 4: When you watch them out of that.
Speaker 1: Situation thirty years later and you're like, what, why would they do this episode? But if you think about the fact that they were not thinking about what's this episode going to be like thirty years from now, they're thinking it's going to be fun for everyone who tunes in to their normal ABC night and there going to see all four shows doing a slight crossover like Synergy is going to be. You know, it makes sense then, and I think That's that's part of why it's harder to judge fairly now because I know we got that response a lot when we were like, this makes no sense and people were like, listen, you have to put yourself in our shoes.
Speaker 4: When we tuned in.
Speaker 1: This was thrilling. It was great. Like even the Disney World episode. Yeah, they were like we loved these, the promos, the shows all going there, and we were like, right, it would have felt different in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 6: Go hang Out with Dolphins, Yes, can't wait to just get to that tank after that much.
Speaker 4: Training exactly put in that much effort.
Speaker 5: But no, it is you can't.
Speaker 9: It's these these episodes have a difficult time existing in a vacuum, and I still believe that the personally. I think the reason that and then there were Seawan worked so well is because we were just making each other laugh. That's why we were That's was our audience that week was each other.
Speaker 5: And to me, that shows, and.
Speaker 8: It does show on camera whenever, like like there's just like a chemistry or like something that comes through on camera. But it's very clear that like you all feel comfortable. You talk very often about like the director made you feel comfortable, like and it.
Speaker 7: Just comes through and it's great to see. Yeah.
Speaker 8: And then Danielle to your point, one of the things that Tony and I talked about was, even with the mellow drama, like the fact that it gets very soap operay or it gets serious, I'm not gonna lie for the audience and for us at the time, being the age or like slightly younger than the age of these characters, there was nothing more important than the Lauren story arc. There was nothing more engaging than Corey and Tapanga getting engaged. Like I will admit, like in a vacuum thirty years later you're like, what are you doing? But the time that we were there, nothing else could have been more important to our totally Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and we did talk about that a little bit, that that some of what maybe people loved so much about the show is that the inner feelings and monologues and stories teenagers were feeling but not expressing. They were watching teenagers express them and getting to live out a bit of a fantasy of like, oh, this is a couple who is saying the things out loud that I'm not saying.
Speaker 4: My boyfriend love, our love is true love. Are we gonna spend forever together? What kind of a house do you want to live in? How many children do you want to have? I have those racing, hormonal thoughts.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying them because I know that that feels kind of crazy at sixteen, But watching them do it, I'm going, yes, look at it.
Speaker 4: It's working.
Speaker 1: They're gonna do the things I'm dreaming about, And so maybe that is part of what was so engrossing about it.
Speaker 4: Do you guys?
Speaker 1: Do you guys remember hearing about there being the voting at the time, about voting whether or not Corey and Tepega should get married.
Speaker 7: We found the website?
Speaker 1: Is it the website of voting about whether or not they should get married?
Speaker 4: Or is it of a wedding web s?
Speaker 3: We found the wedding website website?
Speaker 7: Didn't someone?
Speaker 8: I feel like one of our listeners sent us like there was like a whether a poll a poll or like a print out or something in TV guide where it was like call and let us know, ye, But I did not. I can't remember at the time, but I do remember that like Boy meets World appointment television, what's going to happen? Like I that is so vividly like inside me of like that finale, in those finalis and the proposal in general.
Speaker 5: Would voted what would you have vote? What would you have voted? Would you have voted to get married? Would you vote they wouldn't go.
Speaker 8: As a child or sorry, as a tween? They are getting married, and I understand why that happened as someone who is older. And this is actually like one of the things that with the proposal and every and the breakup story arc, we kind of agree with you on and we want to know, like, what do you think the show could have done to like show the relationship ups and downs that we have, like the breakup story art, and make it work in a healthy way. Because while I still think that it's great that they break up, or even that as we talked about the idea that they are faded to be together and she proposes, that's fine as long as you explore what went wrong and you actually show the conversation of like, hey, this is what we broke up about, this is why we broke up, this is why we were deciding to get back together, Like you know, those things actually really influence as a mature person watching the exact same.
Speaker 10: Storyline yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, I just think the love as faith like logic is just really self serving, you know, and so and it reduces, it removes any conflict resolution that might have been productive.
Speaker 6: Right because the idea of like Corey did a bad thing and then Topanga, you know, maybe trapped him, you know, all the things that they do to each other. If you actually look at it, you're like, yeah, this is kind of the stuff. But the but the fix, the solution is always but we're destined and I have to just have faith in this and I have to overlook my partner's flaws and my flaws in the name of this you know love, which is just pure faith and that you know, to me, that is that's the danger, right, Like, because you could very easily say all the things, according to Banka, say about a truly abusive relationship, a stalking abusive relationship could be the arguments for why they should be together would be exactly the same, and that that makes it a pretty bad argument.
Speaker 1: In mind, and it and it gives you a real easy out to not have to develop attributes about the other people. Like We've talked multiple times about how Tapanga has said early on in the show. There were there were things about we're in a rut. They used to have those discussions, we're in a rut, we're not having fun together anymore. Then that conversation completely stopped and we no longer knew what even what does We had a whole discussion what does Topanga find attractive about Corey?
Speaker 4: What the things?
Speaker 1: Why does she love him so much? She never names them? She mentions that he's cute. She often mention She mentions that he's cute, that he's sexy, little Corey.
Speaker 4: Like, we get that Tapanga is physically.
Speaker 1: Attracted to Corey, and we also commented, but so is every woman who comes onto the show. Tapanga is irresistible. Corey is irresistible to females. But there's never anything that's like. He challenges me, he pushes me, he encourages me, he supports me, he loves me. He's so funny. His journalistic experience, Yes, what we never We don't ever know what those things are.
Speaker 4: And truly I don't know that Corey.
Speaker 1: There's we have the jelly bean scene, but even in that jelly bean scene, there's no specifics. There's I can talk to Tapanga about anything. What if you Actually, if we had developed their relationship enough, and I think writer is the one who made this point, if we had developed their relationship enough by showing us exactly who those two people were and what they meant to each other, we would have very specific things to mention, like that time Topanga and I discussed this and she told me and that took a light bulb on and I had never thought of that, and like, but we didn't have any of those.
Speaker 6: It was just monkey bars.
Speaker 3: One of the biggest things that we felt was overlooked at this season was the fact that Tapanga is clearly afraid to be a small fish in a big pond, and that's never really addressed. That could have been a great way for Corey to support her in the graduation episode, but like, no one ever challenges I mean, I guess we'll go into season six and we'll learn more about this, but no one really challenges to Panga on why she doesn't want to go to Yale. It's seemingly for Corey, but it's not. Actually when you think about it, you say, she.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to be a small fish in a big pond, and yet that is probably something I'll pick up on in season six, based on what I've heard, because there's zero, in my opinion, zero hinting of that.
Speaker 6: Oh well, she said, you said in the scene with PHOENI I'm scared that then I have to be somebody who goes to Yale. Remember there is an imposter scenery speech.
Speaker 4: No, it's about my speech about.
Speaker 1: But now it's a speech that because he says your speech is going to be fine, give yourself a break, and I say yeah, but now it's a speech by someone who's going to Yale, which means fine isn't going to be enough. So that's about my speech in high school, and now I have there is zero hinting. As a matter of fact, the minute Corey says two different times in the in the in the Things Change episode, I think is the first time he maybe says and to Pang is going to go to Yale, and you see my face go hmm okay. But definitely in the graduation episode. The way it comes across to me is the minute she is convinced he really does he really does support her going, she gets lighter and she goes, wow, thanks Corey, Like I feel so good knowing you support me doing this and that and the only it appears that the only thing weighing her down is the idea that she doesn't want to disappoint Corey, and once that's taken away, she brightens up.
Speaker 4: Now I did mention in the.
Speaker 1: Graduation episode, It's possible what I'm seeing is her actually thinking, Wow, he passed a test. Him supporting me was what I wanted to see. Will he support me even though it's not what's best for him? And when he does, I go, that's the kind of man I'm willing to give everything up for. And so I don't know, But all I know is that what I what I see happen in front of me is that she brightens up like Wow, thank you. And it to me, seeing just the graduation episode and not season six, yet, I think that's a woman who wants to go to Yale.
Speaker 7: Do you think Corey Topenga.
Speaker 1: I don't think Corey listens to tapegaever, And so to me, the answer is no, if you don't listen to the person you are with, ever, no, And and you know we've we've often joked about the fact that he is a very hard time staying faithful to her when she's ever not in the same room. No, I don't necessarily think. I don't think he he knows Tapanga. I don't think he listens to her. I don't think he knows her.
Speaker 5: And no, no, we don't know who Tapanga is.
Speaker 3: So correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of hard to fault him for that. Yeh.
Speaker 9: And he spent all night listening to another woman. I mean that was the whole crux of the episode, is that they really talked and got to know each other, and you know, yeah, it was. It's so it's kind of sad to go back and watch it a little bit, which is the thing, because you do when you are younger. I have to imagine and I'm sure I was seventeen when it started, but when you are twelve thirteen, in your watch it, it does probably seem like it's fate and they're supposed to be to get it. And it almost is kind of an interesting look at the dynamics between childhood love quote unquote. And I would never say real love, because you are really in love when you're twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 7: It might be an.
Speaker 9: Adolescent love, but it's a real love that needs to be respected compared to an adult love that also comes with responsibility and so it looks like it's almost healthy when you're twelve or thirteen, but looking back at it now that I'm forty eight, I'm looking kind of going like, wow, this is this is not a good relationship at least at this point. This is not a good relationship. And it really hit me during the Heartbreak Corey episode because it was like, Wow, I should not instantly be rooting for Corey to be with Lauren. And if Corey and Tapango were a strong couple that we've got really gotten to know and really gotten.
Speaker 5: To see how much they were in love, I wouldn't instantly.
Speaker 9: Be going, Huh, Corey might have something here with this Lauren character. So it really made me kind of look at the whole thing differently. And I don't know what happens in six and seven. I can't wait to Maybe it does get deeper.
Speaker 6: In, but it goes to show if you think about when to Pang is first introduced, right, the idea is that she is this very developed character, this very unique, interesting person, the same way that even I mean, she's not as extreme, But Lauren is given a character to seduce Corey for so Corey is going to fall in love with a very interesting character. But the second that character actually joins the cast becomes a regular No, we're gonna you know, she's going to become a two dimensional sort of stand in for femininity, like you know.
Speaker 9: But at least when we first met Lauren, she had a full character. When we met to Pangas, she had a full character. When we meet Ricky, they's nothing. So that's what I mean. It's like, well when whenst just dum like.
Speaker 7: It doesn't It's just like.
Speaker 5: Lauren was so real.
Speaker 9: That's what I loved about Lauren and Corey is was so real, where Ricky was like a cartoon character.
Speaker 5: And it was once again, what is to Panga see in him?
Speaker 9: Much like I say what is to Pangasy and Corey, Like, you know, I would love to have you meet Topanga's guy. You want to you want to see that at some point, and you never just never did.
Speaker 8: So it's so funny that you say that because I remember you asked, like, what was the influence of seeing Corey in Tapanga as children and then growing up with this idea of like this is love? And I think that that's kind of like what I always come back is like when we grew up, we watched this as a template like it was boy Mes World was the show that taught you about life while also entertaining you. And so to watch this, I know Tony himself has like confessed he marked a lot of like life goals or like relationship norms based on the behavior of Koreyan to Panga, and so that, Yeah, geez, it is important to just kind of know the weight of these actions, which is why I agree. I would have loved to see like Cory date Lauren and actually see, you know what what habits that he has with Tipanga kind of transfer over. And he's been like, oh, maybe I'm the problem. Maybe there are things that I need to work on for Tapanga to date Ricky even and see where that goes. And I think you have talked about it before, but like maybe if we like shuffle the episodes a little bit even, it makes little bit more sense. Yeah, just time wise and give us that breath of like actually having that breakup mean something and having them come back as two characters who've grown.
Speaker 5: Ross and Rachel were apart for like six seasons.
Speaker 9: That's what made it so amazing, is oh my god, are were gonna get another Ross, Rachel arc what's happening here? Oh my god, she's dating Joey. Now, how's that gonna affect? There was so much that they could mine from that that they just well, no, two episodes they're not together, and now they're together again.
Speaker 3: It's like, Okay, see this is what we mean. Season five is divisive.
Speaker 7: Really quickly.
Speaker 8: We had the when we were talking about Lauren, one of like the spin off ideas we had was like, Lauren sees these Like one of the reasons why we felt Lauren was so comfortable with hitting on Corey is she works at this place, she has schools coming in and out all the time. She's guys like, you know, with their high school loves. So we were like, this idea of Lauren just like in the cabin and watching the Men of the Week, or like having her have to do with all these other stuff is a great little spinoff idea.
Speaker 7: That we.
Speaker 1: People Lauren could fall the cute bunny, this cute ski Bunny and all the people she falls in love with.
Speaker 5: Ski Bunny nights.
Speaker 1: As I'm sure you guys can tell, we can talk to you for hours.
Speaker 4: Sure, So what are some of the.
Speaker 1: Vital questions you want to ask us as we round out season five today.
Speaker 3: You know, we've hit on a lot of them already. You know, I guess as the show kind of progresses into the later seasons, we've noticed that your memories are becoming more vivid about what was happening behind the scenes or what was going on, Like, do you find season five and probably going forward, is it more difficult to separate you're on your personal experiences on set from the characters that you're watching. It felt like in seasons one and two, you guys were a little bit more disconnected and you were able to just watch it as a show, whereas now it feels maybe more difficult.
Speaker 7: To do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's funny. I hadn't quite thought about it that way.
Speaker 9: You Know what I'm noticing as the older I get on the show is the more I remember what was going on in my personal life at the time as opposed to what was actually going on in the set. And then occasionally an episode will pop up where I'll remember, oh, yeah, this week, what But normally I'm watching now and like, you know, the necklace I'm wearing or something that's happening. I'm then going into what was happening in my real life, and that I'm remembering more than anything else.
Speaker 6: That's so that's exactly the way I feel like thinking about those The first season is I remember so many lines and so many like the blocking and shooting, And I think what that was is that it felt like having the job of being on a TV show, Like the show was this established thing and there were authority figures who knew what they were doing and we were sort of lucky to be there and excited and like the job itself was so cool. Yeah, by fifth season, all I cared about was I had midterms, I had, I was in college, I was dating. I was like my I like nothing about boring betore. And at that point, I also think I had seen behind the curtain a little bit and realized, like, these adults don't have any more authority over the show than I do. Really like I'm a big part of this, So I didn't feel that sense of like, oh, I have to show up to do my job. It was like, no, no, we're all in this together as a team, and that's a different approach. And so I actually I actually remember on set less, but I do remember my personal life more. Actually that's not true. I remember being on set, but for the behind the scenes conversations in the fun greed the actual shooting, I'm like, what I you know, I was just not yeah, safe, so easy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm exactly the same way I remember.
Speaker 1: I know now that like by the time we're at the end of this episode, I'm almost about to be seventeen. Like when this episode aired, I've just turned seventeen, so I know. The last year of my life has been driving my own car, which I couldn't wait to do, leaving set to go eat lunch, which I also thought was the greatest thing ever. Like all of the I'm finally feeling more like an adult. Although I'm not an official adult, I'm very close and I'm feeling more adult like, and I'm being able to after work go to my boyfriend's house and just having a life out rather than as a twelve, thirteen, fourteen year old, my entire life felt like the show, and every moment was just waiting to go back to the show. Now I'm I have a thriving life outside of the show, and I remember being on set, but mostly because of like writer said, the ways our outside lives were tying into us being all there together.
Speaker 9: Well, it's just one of those things where and it's such a magical thing that we did, but it was our job. And after a while, when you're five years at a job, even if it's the most amazing job in the world, you're still just going to work that day. I'm going to work, So hey, what am I doing after work? What am I doing?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 9: When am I meeting up with my friends? When are we doing this? That becomes the crux of your day, not like what I did at work, and I again had the most amazing job in the world, but it was still.
Speaker 7: Just a job.
Speaker 3: We know, we can we can't talk to you guys all day, So I want to just quickly just like bang out some of your season five superlatives if possible, Can each of you tell me what your favorite and least favorite. I know we kind of know this for Will favorite and least favorite episodes of the season were.
Speaker 6: Raging, Corey favorite, Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 3: Which one was.
Speaker 6: The airplane?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 6: The market?
Speaker 3: Great episodes? Yeah, great episodes. Do you think that's one of the better ones of the series? By the way, great so good?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 1: And maybe I think writer thinks it's his favorite episode of the series.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely top five for me. So say, chick like me that those are, you know, some of the best episodes. Worst episode of the season, I guess is Starry Night. No, I really didn't like Brothers Man. I really don't started off with such a yeah, just yeah. And you know, I guess maybe a lot of that is my performance in it too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also Fraternity Rowe. I mean, I'm gonna I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, I think Fraternity Row is maybe one of is maybe my uh.
Speaker 4: Least favorite of the season. I did.
Speaker 1: I did not love Starry Night the same way it's the same way a lot of.
Speaker 5: Other people do.
Speaker 1: But I also feel like it's almost I couldn't possibly name it as my least favorite when I know how strongly Wilfredell feels about it. So I feel like I have to take something else, and so I think I'm gonna take Fraternity Row that that'd be.
Speaker 4: The beginning of season five was really rough for me.
Speaker 1: I just felt kind of like, are we gonna, Are we gonna get somewhere good?
Speaker 4: And we did. We ended up hitting a really nice ride.
Speaker 12: I think my.
Speaker 1: Favorite episode is Gosh, it's so hard because you know what, Storry Night. The one thing I will say, Storry Night is my favorite Angela showing she's so strong.
Speaker 4: Otherwise it would have just been I know.
Speaker 1: But I think my favorite episode is Heartbreak Corey. It's to me, it's such a great episode. I love I love meeting the Lauren character. I love that it was Rusty's first episode. We have a lot of behind the scenes memories of it, so I think Rage and Corey is an incredible episode. But I think I'm going to say my favorite of the season is Heartbreak Corey.
Speaker 5: You know mine already.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Starry Night by far my least favorite, probably possibly of the entire series. There's the good ones this season were great, so I mean for personal reasons. And then there was Sean Is. It will always be just because it was arguably my favorite week of work I've ever.
Speaker 5: Had in my entire life. Yeah, it was just an incredible week.
Speaker 9: So for a personal reason that for as a television fan, just watching Heartbreak Corey was great. As another week worth of work that I was really proud of. I would say Rage and Corey, so those were I mean, just working with Rusty and jumping out of the plane and doing all the fun stuff.
Speaker 5: All that was a ton of fun. So yeah, so good.
Speaker 3: We have a quick last minute like rapid fire of some of the great debates that have happened in this season. So if you can just quickly give us your thoughts on some of these, we would love to just settle the score. Finally, quick answers only, Quick answers only. Was Louren wrong for pursuing Corey?
Speaker 6: Yes, no, you're.
Speaker 9: Going You're going Cory and Tapanga or Cory and Lauren co l Lauren.
Speaker 3: Lor Cory and Tapanga or Sean and Angela.
Speaker 5: Sean and Angela Angela?
Speaker 3: Did Topanga trap Coy?
Speaker 1: Yes, no, no Trapanga.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: This might be a little bit hard to do a rapid fire up. But at what point in the Ski Lodge episode was Corey wrong?
Speaker 9: The minuity lied, lied, lied, but maybe emotionally a little bit before the lie.
Speaker 3: I get and you're just quickly Why didn't Tepenga go to Yale.
Speaker 5: To get to the other side?
Speaker 7: Wait? I did that?
Speaker 1: Rob to Pega didn't go to Yale from what I think out here right now, because she thinks she has to choose between Corey and college, and she does not want to lose Corey.
Speaker 6: I seriously think that Corey guilts her and she feels like she needs to make a sacrifice that is, in her mind equivalent to the sacrifice that Corey is making by allowing her to go to Yale. And I just that's such a false equivalency to me. But yeah, so I think she's chopping off her own arm, you know, so sort of like, I look how much I love you. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 9: I think that's what they're going for. But I think at the end of the day, it's just going to be fear.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 8: I love like you guys hit on everything. Writer, you were like offended that we asked you if to choose between Corey and Topega and Sean and Angela.
Speaker 6: You were like, obbousana, that's so funny, all of those parents. We chose the non Corey to Panga option.
Speaker 8: So for season six, you guys are coming up on season six, we have guests and let us know that we hope excited. Well don't know who you can get. Will you be having maitland Ward, Bonnie, we get Tommy back, Nobody's Angels.
Speaker 3: Is what you can Nobody's Angels Reunion episode.
Speaker 6: We just saw Josh keaton sister. Yeah, we could probably get to his sister through through that. Yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 7: And then also to Panga's first set of parents.
Speaker 1: Our goal is always to get everybody that we see a lot of the comments too of people who are like, get this person. I promise you there's no one you guys have suggested to us that we haven't asked who hasn't either already said no, or who we are still trying to work out scheduling stuff. There are season five guests Cherry Levine said, no.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're trying to get Jennifer love Hewett.
Speaker 4: We've been trying to get Linda Cardellini.
Speaker 1: There are people we have definitely been trying and it's either a scheduling thing or you know, trying to get through some managers and publicists is sometimes you have to find a different, more creative way around. We will definitely, assuming she still wants to come on, we will definitely be extending the invitation to maitland Ward of course, and all those people you mentioned we would we would plan to have on.
Speaker 7: So yeah, love to hear that's the hope.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you guys so much for having us again. We had such a great time talking with you about season five. It was again like we knew the season was gonna save and we loved hearing the debates, having the debates with you guys, and of course it's just it's always a privilege to be brought on to to talk to you guys and ask you our questions.
Speaker 9: Okay, and rapid fire back to the two of you, yes or no very quickly.
Speaker 5: Are we gonna like season six?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: No comment? Geez.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll say this for you, and this is just us. You guys have your own experience. When we did, like our series review, going season by season, season six ended up being our least favorite season. Okay, just because it's very dark.
Speaker 8: Okay, we lean into that melodramatic side that we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we so appreciate you guys coming on at the end of every season and every single time we talk to you, you guys point something out to us that from a POV that we just haven't had and we appreciate it and value it so much. So thank you as always for coming to share your wisdom and your expertise and your opinions with us.
Speaker 4: We adore you both so much.
Speaker 1: We look forward to doing this again with you at the end of the Worst Season season.
Speaker 4: Six, and we will see you then. Thank you both, Thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram Podmeets World Show. You can send us your emails Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com, and we have merch.
Speaker 5: Don't ban our merch.
Speaker 4: Podmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 6: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubach, producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.