Speaker 1: So I just fill up the trash can with water. No, I mean yes, but it's not a trash can. It's a rain barrel. We use it to water the chickens, but it hasn't rained in a while, So just fill it up with the hose. Gotcha. When you're finished with that, I'll show you how to clean under the roosting bars. Okay, great, My mom is so excited to get farm fresh eggs and that I'm learning how to take care of chickens. Well, it's a big help for you to take over this job when my mom leaves tomorrow. No problem, I'll take care of you little chicken. Oh what you do with your little chicken?
Speaker 2: Day?
Speaker 1: What you doing?
Speaker 3: Stop?
Speaker 4: Say?
Speaker 1: She's attacking my feet. Oh, don't worry about lady rah Ra. She just likes shiny things. Here, let me get her. Oh thanks. You might want to get some boots. Those barkley crocs aren't the best around a farm, right, definitely. I'll order some on my phone right now and have it delivered tomorrow. So do they all have names? The chickens? Oh? Yeah, uh. That one over there is zen Lea. The three black and white ones are the mixy chicks. What about that pretty blonde one. She's Margot Ruby. My brother name's most of them after celebrities, he said. We were basically just the staff at a fancy chicken resort, so it fits, you know, room service and housekeeping. That's funny. This is a pretty bougie chicken house. It's bigger than my room was in my old apartment. I bet you saw all sorts of fancy hotels and celebrities in Los Angeles. Sounds amazing to always have perfect weather and the beach whenever you want. Not really, My mom and I didn't get out much. Oh but I did go on a field trip to the Academy Museum since Selena Gomez want to see a picture.
Speaker 3: Sure, Bailey, you about finished out there.
Speaker 5: Your mom wants you be right there.
Speaker 1: So with the trays under the roosting bars, you just scoop them like a litter box. Okay, have you ever cleaned a litter box? Definitely? Yes, that's a lot of excitement over cleaning chicken poop.
Speaker 5: But okay, hey Mom.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: Bailey?
Speaker 4: Glad you're here? Help me unpack these groceries while I fill you in.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just got off the phone with the vet clinic. Everything, okay, Yes, I was just calling to reschedule the horse's teeth floating since I'm going away, and they said doctor Forrest is able to fit us in today today. Wow, that's lucky.
Speaker 4: I know. I can't believe I never rescheduled after we canceled last year's appointment. Their teeth probably feel like they're covered in barnacles by now.
Speaker 1: Well, we were pretty busy.
Speaker 4: Then you're right, it's okay. So can you catch Sonny and Jewels in the pasture and put them in their stalls? I already got the geldings in. Those boys always stay near the gate, but I've always had trouble catching the girls. Oh.
Speaker 1: Right, now, I'm teaching Zoe how to clean the chicken coop.
Speaker 4: It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. Zoe and the chickens can wait. Doctor Forrest is already out this way on a call about one of the wild horses, so she'll be here pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Wait what kind of call? Which wild horse was it?
Speaker 4: I don't know. The clinic didn't tell me, Bailey, please go catch the mayors before she gets here.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll try.
Speaker 4: Oh, and a head's up as requested. The new farm hand is coming today also, so try to steer clear of pig poop.
Speaker 1: Ha ha got it? Thanks, Oh wild stay, and I hope it's not you that needed the vent.
Speaker 2: Please be okay, Zoe, huh is that you in there?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Heiji pop. Yeah, I'm just waiting for.
Speaker 3: Bailey inside the chicken coop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nice in here. And that rooster out there is sus He's definitely going to attack me.
Speaker 3: Oh, Chris, I can help you there.
Speaker 1: His name is Chris. They're also supposed to be celebrities.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, you can fill in whatever last name you want. Connor left it open to interpretation. But the trick with Chris or any rooster for that matter, is to pick him up and hold him, hold him. That's right. If you can pick him up and hold him tight and let him know you're the boss, you'll be all right. Here. Let me get him for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll try it, I guess.
Speaker 3: Come here, Chris, there you go, gotcha, here you go. Just put him under your arm and hold him tight.
Speaker 5: Like this.
Speaker 3: That's it. Now. Just talk to him and pet him, but don't let him get loose. Okay, that's right. Nice and firm. Let him know you're in control, but you won't hurt him.
Speaker 1: Hey there, Chris, good boy, So which avenger are you? Huh? You look pretty patriotic.
Speaker 3: See how he's calm. You shouldn't have a problem with him. Now. He's a pretty good rooster. It's just that you're new to him and he's got to do his job. That's all. Roosters can get a bad rap, but they're a really important part of the flock. You know.
Speaker 1: That's the only way you can get baby chicks. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, that's not all they do. Chris here'll dig up a grub and then call the hens over to eat it instead of eating it himself. He breaks up fights between hens, keeps peace in order, and he'd fight to the death to protect his hens from a predator.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't know all that, but I am wondering about the eggs. Now, are these eggs all fertilized?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Can we still eat them?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, no difference, so long as we collect them often. Bailey gathers them every morning, unless that's your job.
Speaker 1: Now, she didn't get to that part yet. Do you know where she went? I was just going to ask.
Speaker 4: You all that.
Speaker 3: Hey there, Sannon. Hey, missus Cooper, so you don't know where Bailey is either.
Speaker 4: I sent her to catch the mayors half an hour ago. The vet's here and only Jewels is in her stall. I hope nothing has happened.
Speaker 1: You might want to check over that hill the east pastor.
Speaker 3: Why would you say that?
Speaker 5: Um?
Speaker 1: Never mind?
Speaker 4: Maybe you can call her no phone and she didn't take the walkie talkie.
Speaker 3: I'll jump on the ATV and go. Look. I'm sure it's all right, Jen.
Speaker 1: Do you want my help?
Speaker 4: Thanks, Zoe, but just come with me. You can meet the new farmhand. He's over this way. He sure call me as soon as you find her. Okay, Dad, let's go, Zoe. Okay, Zoe?
Speaker 3: Uh huh?
Speaker 4: Why don't you leave the rooster behind?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, see you later, Chris, Bailey?
Speaker 3: There, you are what you're doing sitting down there?
Speaker 1: She won't let me catch her. I've been chasing her all over the pasture and she doesn't want to come near me.
Speaker 3: Sonny. Well that's not like her. She'd always come running to you.
Speaker 1: Before, I know, but that was before. I don't like her anymore, and she doesn't like me either.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, Bailey? You love this horse. You've been riding her since you could walk, Bailey, is this about what happened?
Speaker 1: Of course it is. It all started with.
Speaker 3: Her, Now, Bailey, you know that's not the whole story.
Speaker 1: Here's her halter. Please catch her for me, but don't ride her. I don't trust her.
Speaker 3: I'll catch her for you, but you No trust goes both ways. You just need to fix your bond. That's all.
Speaker 1: Thanks Geepop, but I'm not sure it's fixable. I'm gonna take the ATV back. I'll meet you at the barn.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Dad, Glad she's okay. So, Alejandro, this is our feed room. We'll be getting a new shipment tomorrow, so if you can be here early to help stack it up, that'd be great.
Speaker 3: No problem.
Speaker 1: I can come to missus Cooper. Our spring break starts tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Bailey, there you are. I was worried.
Speaker 1: She Pap is bringing sunny Lucie. Is this your brother, Zoe? You never said no.
Speaker 4: He's a new farmhand. I told you he was coming today him.
Speaker 1: But he's like our age.
Speaker 4: Dad couldn't get any of the usual help this early in the season. But Alejandro here is the son of your dad's accountant and billings and is more than capable of working here for the week.
Speaker 1: Hi. Yeah, I'm almost seventeen. Uh huh great. I just think that's good to know because I can drive it all. I drove my dad's old Bronco. But he's gonna let me get the new Raptor if I do a good jime. I don't have time for this. I need to talk to doctor Forrest.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry about that, Alejandro. She's just not herself today. Why don't you introduce yourself to my dad. G Pop is what everyone calls him. He'll be coming through that gate there in just a minute. Thank you, mam Oh and Zoe, I'd love your help in the morning. I'm going to try and hit the road as soon as the shipment is unloaded.
Speaker 1: No problem, come on over here.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen a horse get her teeth filed down?
Speaker 1: No? Why do you have to file them down?
Speaker 4: Well, they can get pretty sharp otherwise.
Speaker 1: A bass stallion with a white snip.
Speaker 7: Oh No, the horse today wasn't a Why have you seen an injured bay stallion? U?
Speaker 1: No? Not really?
Speaker 4: Is that the stallion you were telling me about the other night, Bailey?
Speaker 1: Yes, Zoe and I saw him last week on the other side of the east pasture. Yeah, he was beautiful and alone.
Speaker 7: Oh well, you be careful, Bailey. Wild horses are unpredictable. You'd be best just keeping your distance.
Speaker 1: Oh we know, sh.
Speaker 7: And I wouldn't recommend putting your horses in that pasture, especially not your mares now that they're coming into season. You sure don't want a wild stallion trying to jump in.
Speaker 4: We let that pasture rest when the wild horses come this far north.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well thanks doctor forrest.
Speaker 7: My pleasure. Oh here, Sonny, will you help me with her float, Bailey? She always relaxes better when you do.
Speaker 1: I'm not so sure that'll work this year. Oh yeah, Plus we have a new farm hand, so he should probably get some practice with the horses. Zoe and I are gonna check on the pigs. We are, come on, Zoe buy nice to meet you, Alejandro, you.
Speaker 3: Too, Miranda Forest.
Speaker 1: How are you, Zoe? I know how we can catch the wild stallion. Ask your mom if you can sleep over tomorrow night. I'll explain everything tomorrow