Speaker 1: In February of sixteen seventy three, Thomas Cornell Junior was in loads of trouble. His mother, Rebecca Cornell, was dead, her body charred terribly in a tragic house fire. It was initially ruled an accident by a coroner's jury in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, but then after Thomas's uncle was visited by Rebecca's ghost, he sounded the alarm about her death. Her body was reexamined and a new coroner's jury claimed to find a small fatal wound on her stomach, mostly hidden by the burned flesh around it. The matrons who dressed the corpse for burial hadn't noticed it before. Thomas and his mother did seem to have a strained relationship. She couldn't stand his wife, Sarah, and she was Rebecca might have also been in poor health, But on February sixteenth, that second coroner's jury ruled that Rebecca's death was a suspicious one, and a surprise witness would soon solidify the Colony of Rhode Island's case against Thomas Cornell. Thomas first faced a murder indictment, and he would then go to trial. That trial would take place at a tavern called the White Horse in Newport, Rhode Island.
Speaker 2: So usually they would do two stories for a tavern because there would be some rooms that they would rent out to travelers. And you can see from the beams going across the ceiling they're quite thick, quite in their original I'm actually surprised that the height, but that might have been lifted over time because normally you would get a second story that would be very low. Hard to say whether or not that built in is original. Certainly the woodwork is not, but that could be dating from the nineteenth century, but the size of the fireplace is very indicative of a seventeenth century building.
Speaker 1: The White Horse actually still exists. It's now a wonderful restaurant. Carrie Nolty and I went there on a November night.
Speaker 3: This is a narrow circace.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Well, so this would have been what the fireplace was like.
Speaker 3: Actually probably smaller the central chimney stack, so.
Speaker 2: They built around it, which is what I think that they did with the Cornell House. I think they had the one room originally because they had to have something for all the elements that they were exposed to on this island. I think it was really two rooms at the time when we came back for then on community to take pots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back in late February of sixteen seventy three, one of Rebecca Cornell's friends, a man named John Russell, talked with investigators. Portsmouth historian Gloria Schmidt says that John recounted a story that really helped clarify the relationship between mother and son, and it was really bad news for Thomas Cornell Junior.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, at that particular point, they start getting testimony from other people. So on February the twentieth, John Russell, who was from Dartmouth, toms to say, you know what, she told me that she would be made away with.
Speaker 1: That's seventeenth century speak for I'm afraid that I'll be murdered.
Speaker 5: And so that's the second thing that makes things suspicious. So the you know, the first was the ghostly witness, and the second was the John Russell saying, look, she told me that she didn't want to be in this household and that she feared that she would be done away with. But she she's constantly complaining to people, so this is not unusual. But he says, look, you know, I just want to share this with you, and there's a deposition from him.
Speaker 1: So Rebecca really thought that someone in her family might kill her if she stayed there much longer? Was there that much acrimony between Thomas and Rebecca? Historia Nel Darby says that violence between mother and son isn't all that unusual. It can be the warped reaction of a frustrated violent person.
Speaker 6: Well, then, obviously, if you're going to hit someone or and plet violence on someone, you're more likely to do it on your mother because she's going to.
Speaker 4: Be weaker than you, or weaker than your other parents.
Speaker 5: So there's that kind of reasoning behind it that this violence from a young man.
Speaker 3: You kind of understand.
Speaker 6: Why relationships might become so fractured living in a very kind of close.
Speaker 5: Confines where that violence does belover and sometimes become fatal.
Speaker 1: So was this over the money Thomas owed his mother, or specifically their family property. Portsmouth historian Ann Burns says she doesn't think so.
Speaker 7: Well, then property had already been transferred into his knee.
Speaker 1: Anne believes that if Thomas and Sarah didn't properly take care of the aging Rebecca, then Rebecca might have been willing to reneg on the agreement and take the property back.
Speaker 7: Was it the fear that she could leave because part of the agreement for the property being transferred into his name was that Thomas moved in onto the property and took care of it and took care of his mother.
Speaker 1: Anne wonders if Rebecca's relatives might have brought that up if Rebecca had tried to leave the home, maybe they'd insisted that she refused to leave Thomas the property because elder abuse certainly shouldn't be rewarded.
Speaker 7: I'm kind of thinking like her brother would have been the one that said, you know, the deal was, you took care of your mom. She's not here anymore. Did that give him a reason to contest the property transfer into his name?
Speaker 1: And Anne has another interesting theory, one that hasn't shown up in historical records, so there's no way to actually verify it, and it centers on John Briggs, Rebecca's younger brother.
Speaker 7: Did John Briggs or what of the siblings have something to gain by Rebecca passing away?
Speaker 1: We don't know. What we do know is that Rebecca Cornell sounded miserable before she died. Friends and neighbors began offering their recollections in depositions for the colony, as prosecutors began to put together an indictment against Thomas.
Speaker 5: And when you look at the deposition and there are things like I'm too cold, I don't have enough covers, I have to do all these chores on my own. He promised, you know, to take care of some of these, and I have to take care of the pigs myself. I don't have enough food to eat.
Speaker 1: Witnesses repeated Rebecca's complaints against Sarah Earl, her daughter in law.
Speaker 5: You know, my daughter in law is a maniac, you know, all of these types of things.
Speaker 1: Remember that Rebecca had claimed that Sarah had once threatened one of her own step sons with an axe. But Gloria points out that no one else testified to seeing Sarah act violently to anyone, including Rebecca or her own children.
Speaker 5: Well, the testimony for that is from Rebecca, So you don't have anybody else, you know, saying that Sarah was doing that. So I don't know whether we rebelieve Rebecca, you know.
Speaker 1: But also Rebecca seemed very sad much of the time. Anne Burns and Gloria Schmidt say it might not have been because of Thomas and Sarah.
Speaker 8: And the only person who provided any possible support that her brother was innocent was his sister, who said, a couple of years ago, you know, basically I came to visit her mother.
Speaker 7: The daughter had been going through a really hard time and had some dark thoughts about ending her life, and Rebecca Cornell did, well, so have I had those dark thoughts?
Speaker 5: You know, she would complain, but that she would also tell people that there were times in which she was depressed, Like she told her daughter. Her daughter had shared with her that she had had been, you know, ill and had been despondent, and Rebecca says, well, you know, I've been through periods like that too, and you just you know, have to, you know, flee from the devil, and the devil will flee from you type thing. You know.
Speaker 7: She talked about a pen night you're using to stab herself, and then she said, but I pray to God and he makes me come back and everything's going to be okay, and I'm going to be okay, and you're going to be okay. So the daughter provided the testimony that maybe her mother actually committed suicide.
Speaker 5: She spoke of it before so she does admit that she's gone through periods where she's been depressed. So there's some that question, well, was there something that triggered at a suicide attempt? So there's so many different angles from what these different depositions add to it. To me, it's really very unclear.
Speaker 1: And if this story seems unclear, now just wait. There was a tremendous amount of reasonable doubt. It should probably have been unclear for the coroner's jury and for the court's jury. But based on the depositions, Thomas was presented as an abusive, neglectful so yun who wanted to get rid of his mother to finally have some autonomy like other men in colonial America. But now Thomas Cornell had no autonomy. He sat in jail waiting for the wheels of justice to grind. Now, let's talk about a modern case filled with reasonable doubt, one that led not just to a wrongful conviction but also a wrongful execution. Cameron Todd Willingham. Author David Gran wrote an incredible piece in two thousand and nine about Willingham for The New Yorker called Trial by Fire. That's in reference to the nineteen ninety one house fire that killed Willingham's two year old daughter and one year old twins in northeast Texas.
Speaker 9: Willingham with somebody who had been arrested for allegedly setting of fire that had killed his three children in his house.
Speaker 1: Arson investigators came into the Willingham house and found evidence of what they believed were the telltale signs of arson. So during Willingham's trial, the experts presented this evidence, and there were also disclosures that Willingham had abused his wife. Eventually, even she came to believe he was guilty of killing their kids. Based on this evidence. Willingham was convicted and sentenced to execution.
Speaker 9: But before he went to the death chamber, a arson investigator looked at the case and reviewed the evidence, and he was one of the leading scientists of fire in the country, you know, really advanced scientists, and he looked at the evidence of the arson investigators had used and he's like, a lot of his stuff holds up the scientific scrutiny.
Speaker 1: Grant says that back then, arson investigators often had very little scientific training. They were trained, but not officially educated, like receiving folklore from mentors.
Speaker 9: And so for example, they had gone into the house and they had looked at spidery glass on the windows, and they believed if he saw the spidery glass on the window, it was an indication that a fire had accelerated because of an accelerant, that it clearly intensified in heat and it caused this fire.
Speaker 1: Arson. Investigators in Willingham's case believed that the spidery glass was a sign that someone had used some kind of accelerant, a clear sign of arson.
Speaker 9: But as this scientist who was later reviewing the case knew, there had been an instance where there had been a forest fire and when many investigators had gotten to these houses in this forest fire, they had seen this spidery glass kind of looked like, you know, almost like you fracture your wingshield. And so they went back to the laboratory and what they learned was, well, actually the spider glass isn't cause from intensifying heat, just the opposite. It was caused by when the firefighters arrived and they actually blasted cold water onto the houses to put out the fire. So it was actually the sudden cooling. So this is just one example of a theory that was completely bunked.
Speaker 1: There was nothing in Willingham's house that indicated that the fire had been started on purpose, and if it had, there was no proof that he was the one who did it. Graham says that the scientist was anxious to follow his report before Willingham's execution, which was set for two thousand and four.
Speaker 9: He is just terrified that an innocent man is going to be executed, because that was really the main evidence that had convicted this man of this crime. And you know, he puts out a report showing how this is bunk, but there's no scientific evidence to sustain this.
Speaker 1: All of that, and still the execution moved forward.
Speaker 9: And subsequently, you know, leading fire investigators and scientists from across the country have reviewed this case and found that there is no credible evidence of evidents at all indicate that this was an intentionally set fire. People have compared it. When leading scientists reviewed the case, you know, compared it to witchcraft and folklore.
Speaker 1: Witchcraft sounds familiar. Wrongful convictions are an epidemic around the world, but in America, our justice system is plagued by them. Maurice Shama is a reporter with the Marshall Project. He says that one of the issues with forensic arson experts is that they might not be experts at all.
Speaker 10: Sort in the absence of professionalized law enforcement, there's a lot of room for people to sort of lay claim to special access to knowledge and truth that can be very convincing if they're a convincing person. I should say that even in the late twentieth century, you had arson investigators with very little training saying the fire speaks to me, you know, and using this very like witchy cosmic language around their skills, and come to find out that this was often bullshit, and that innocent people went to prison for accidental fires because there was sort of a fraudulent claim that it was set intentionally.
Speaker 1: Investigators need to look for motives to solve crimes, and they need to consider clues that are left behind. But Marie says that solving a crime shouldn't risk actual justice for the survivors or the victims, and innocent people shouldn't suffer.
Speaker 10: But I also think that we need to be sort of careful and humble, because I mean, this case in sixteen hundreds just sounds like a lot of tragedies in the last fifty years where gossip about the relationship between family members leads to a motive, a sense of a motive, and then once you have that motive in your head, you can kind of find evidence to support it because human relationships are complex.
Speaker 1: They certainly are, and in the sixteen hundreds that was definitely true, especially in the frigid New England winters. Thomas Cornell had really struggled along with his wife, who had to raise their children, and Rebecca Cornell clearly struggled. Now that we've heard more evidence, I asked relative Caring Nolty what she thinks murder or accident or even suicide.
Speaker 3: Do you see any way that this could have been in an accident?
Speaker 2: She catches fire, she's got the needle, she accidentally hurts herself, The fire could have been an accident. There's absolutely a chance that that could have been an accident. You can get a piece of SAP that explodes and sparks out, and you know she's sleeping or she's already dead. Because one of the things that they do in the trial transcript is that they interview friends, neighbors, and her children, and they find out that she had at several times talked about potentially killing herself.
Speaker 1: I asked Carrie why Rebecca might have taken her own life. She says, maybe because of Thomas's treatment of her. It does sound like he said some very hurtful things to her.
Speaker 2: She's treated so horribly by her son. At one point, her son tells her, your name doth stink about the island. And she is commiserating with my direct ancestor, Rebecca Junior at one point, who had smallpox and had lost a child and had been expressing to her mother that she just sometimes felt like ending it all, and her mother was saying, I have also felt that sometimes, you know, when I thought of my lot in life and how difficult it's been, and then I just put my faith in the Lord, and he sustains me, and then I am satisfied.
Speaker 1: Carrie brings up Rebecca's complaints how heartbreaking they were.
Speaker 2: At one point, she's forced to chase her own pigs that have escaped their pen and she falls.
Speaker 3: This is a seventy year old.
Speaker 2: Woman, and she's just crying and she's upset, and she is saying, I want to end it all. And then again she turns to her faith in these transcripts, which is hearsay, of course, and says, the Lord comes to me and then I am satisfied and I'm able to move on and stuff. So it seems as though she has perhaps a flair for the dramatic, but also that she is trying to commiserate with other people when they are expressing doubts being a good n doing it in regards to her daughter, and also expressing frustration at her lot.
Speaker 1: Carrie thinks that Rebecca had finally realized that her life wasn't what it was supposed to be. She wasn't being cared for properly, and her son didn't respect her.
Speaker 2: At one point, she says that she never would have set up the inheritance agreement the way that it's set up now if she knew that Thomas Junior's first wife was going to die. So it seems like the first wife was some kind of a buffer between them, that there might have been some long standing friction there. It just seems so shocking that that would be considered evidence, that that would somehow like this person got indicted.
Speaker 6: Also, you know it was at one time, you know it was an accident, and no that changes after the ghost thing.
Speaker 5: Like there's so many any components just from like an administrative decision making thing.
Speaker 3: That I'm like, what, and of course I'm looking at it. From twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Thomas Cornell might have been an abuser and neglectful, even cruel, but none of that necessarily made him a killer. But then his wife offered some evidence that seemed to cast even more suspicion on her husband, and it had to do with the fact that Rebecca Cornell was a proficient weaver.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we get from the reports is that Thomas is seen and this is actually, I want to say, this is his wife who says this, Sarah Earle, that he comes out of her room and he's actually winding yarn on a spindle as he comes out of her room.
Speaker 1: We don't know much about this story. If it's true, then that's incriminating. Remember we've said that an iron spindle could be very sharp, and if this were murder, then it could have been the murder weapon. It also could have been nothing. Maybe he was just helping his mother wind yarn. Regardless, in this circumstance, it was suspicious. The prosecutors for the Colony of Rhode Island finished interviewing witnesses for depositions. Then they convened a grand jury.
Speaker 2: And part of what gets them to convene a grand jury to indict Thomas is the spectral evidence that John Briggs has where his sister comes to him and says, look, how I am burned with fire. The other thing is that she had spoken to someone in months prior. We don't know exactly when, but she had said, I am afraid that I will be made off with before the year, and I'm planning on moving in with one of my other sons.
Speaker 3: But she didn't point to Toma's directly in that statement. No, Wow, who else would it be?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, So he's indicted for what first degree murder?
Speaker 2: First degree murder for murdering his mother.
Speaker 3: And I'm assuming Sarah Earl is flipping out at this point.
Speaker 2: She's kids, sure, she's pregnant. She is, She's a few months after all of this is concluded, she gives birth.
Speaker 1: In the spring of sixteen seventy three, Thomas Cornell Junior went on trial at the White Horse Inn in Newport for murdering his mother. The plethora of witnesses who testified virtually all leaned toward the prosecution. As you can imagine from what we've been hearing, there was a lot of hearsay in the trial. There was even one instance that was particularly egregious hearsay of hearsay, but oh boy, was a damaging Carrie Nulty and Gloria Schmidt say it sounded like to someone that Sarah and Thomas were colluding.
Speaker 2: One of their neighbors reported that another neighbor told her that she had been at the prison and heard Thomas and Sarah go into a separate room, but she could overhear them and they said to each other, if you keep my counsel, I will keep yours.
Speaker 5: It sounded like a conspiracy. Someone said, well, you know, I won't talk about you and you don't talk about me type thing. But we don't know you know much about it other than.
Speaker 2: That, now small town gossip. You already think somebody is guilty, and you could be the kind of person that just makes something up but could also be true.
Speaker 1: What do we think about that? Sarah Earle did seem very sneaky, But what if they weren't even talking about covering up a murder? Who knows what they were discussing exactly Regardless Thomas Cornell was in a bad position before the trial and during the trial because he had no real representation, no one was really defending him.
Speaker 5: They were taking depositions from either people that heard something from Rebecca or they had been there that night and had seen something. So they had depositions from Sarah and from the boys, not all of the boys, I think you know, one or two of the boys, and from this Henry Strait that was the border that had gone into the room. And so those the people that they were taking the depositions from.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors even traveled to New York to take a deposition from one of Rebecca's daughters who still lived in the Bronx area. And during all this time there was infighting between Cornell family members. Thomas's brother, William Cornell, had never liked his second sister in law, Sarah, and now before the trial was even over, everyone was anticipating a guilty verdict.
Speaker 5: They know there are problems between William and the rest of the family if he's trying to get Sarah tried. There's also the whole matter of the fact that because Thomas was considered a murderer, he could not inherit the property and so there were all kinds of fights with people who would be custodians of the sons, or Sarah's part of her for her dowry, for her husband, and all those kinds of things. Normally, the town would come in and the town would take that property from someone who was a murderer, so that a murderer could not benefit from their crime.
Speaker 1: A big question that needed to be settled quickly was who would get the property if Thomas Cornell were found guilty. Maybe not Sarah and the kids.
Speaker 5: Who does it go to do the Thomas's children who are innocent and get any part of it. You know, they have uncles that are guardians for them, and so who is protecting them. There was always a problem when you had a household. The eldest son would gain the property and the others would have to try and find their own way. So it was messy anyway with any death, But in this situation, they couldn't go from Rebecca to Tom and then from Thomas to his children if he was considered a murderer.
Speaker 1: We're lucky to have these depositions from the late sixteen hundreds. Besides offering specific details about the case, their existence alone tells us a lot about the case's importance at the time, and of course this was the first and maybe last trial in which a ghost was an important witness. But in addition to specifics of this case, the depositions also show us how murder trials in the seventeenth century worked.
Speaker 5: It's not like we have today, where you have a trial and the witnesses come and you have cross examination or something like that. It wasn't like that. They would go to different people and get a deposition, and then they would add all that up and the jury would look at the depositions or here the depositions. Some of them may not have been able to read, so they would be presented the testimony any of these people. Nobody was ever cross examined. And Thomas never had a lawyer. He never had anybody. He couldn't say that's not true, or that's a lie, or he didn't have that choice.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a sham. Frankly, I asked carry noulty to shorthand this for us.
Speaker 3: So how does this go? This trial? Essentially, so it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't go well for Thomas. So it seems from the record that he has the right and he does take the right to challenge a lot of the potential jurors on the jury because you know, he's too close to me, he's part of my family, he's you know, he's always hated me, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Everybody knows.
Speaker 2: But finally they come to a group of people who are going to be the jury that he can no longer argue against that there's not really any problem with.
Speaker 1: Then the depositions from loads of people are read for the jury, loads of hearsay.
Speaker 2: Lots of interview, use of friends' neighbors, them talking about what they've heard Rebecca say that she was afraid and that her son was always cross with her and using terrible words.
Speaker 1: Witnesses claimed that Sarah and Thomas treated Rebecca so poorly that the children started treating her poorly too.
Speaker 2: His wife was treating her terribly, and what grief she had over it, that she was going to move the report about that she was afraid that she was going to be made off with.
Speaker 5: Mostly hearsay, so a lot of the testimony that works against him are her comments about how he mistreats her, and she tells lots of people about things that she wants to complain about. You know, when I look at the transcript of their deposition type things, most of them are talking about his not treating her as well as he could good.
Speaker 1: I asked Carrie Nolty again about the physical evidence. How could the matrons have missed the wound the first time around, even if there was a wound, What if it was simply decomposition.
Speaker 2: It seems like it was. So it was two women that laid out the body at first, and one of them was I believe Sarah Earl's mother.
Speaker 1: So Sarah's mother was one of those matrons. I'm not sure that means anything, but it could mean something, and it does speak to how close knit the community was. Thomas did try to defend himself by using the depositions. There was so much there to choose from that perhaps he could connect the dots differently.
Speaker 2: They hear all of this testimony that Rebecca had been suicidal, that there was a black dog that leapt out of the room, that it was the implication that it was God himself, you know, passing judgment on Rebecca for being a bad mother, but therefore not burning down the house because she caught fire, and not burning the clothes etc.
Speaker 1: But the negative certainly outweighed the positive.
Speaker 2: Rebecca was in distress that Thomas owed her money, that he was withholding her rent, that he was saying things like your name stink about the island.
Speaker 1: And then one witness reported something awful that Thomas supposedly said.
Speaker 2: After she died. He remarked to a neighbor that in life, my mother wanted a good fire, and I guess the Lord hath provided for now she has it. Yeah, exactly, I mean, my goodness, wow.
Speaker 1: If that's true, then Thomas really disliked his mother, regardless of his guilt. It all framed Thomas Cornell very poorly, and soon the jury reached a verdict.
Speaker 2: So he is found guilty. And a lot of people like to make the point that this was spectral evidence and that that's why he was convicted, and it was a precursor to the Salem witch trials, and it was used as a reference in the Salem witch trials. The spectral evidence, yes, this particular case was, However, which part.
Speaker 3: John Riggs and his sister's ghost or Sarah Earle and the dog the ghost.
Speaker 2: The spectral evidence of the ghost is the one because Sarah Earl Cornell's testimony was not under oath. Everybody else's was, so people like to say that that's you know, it was completely unjust because of that. But it's very clear from the record to me that they used the spectral evidence as a way of convening a grand jury to find the initial charges, and then that in conjunction with the rest of what was reported, that she was afraid that some harm would come to her, that there was tension about find Nancy's.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's talk about ghosts. I do believe in them, but I'm not sure I believe in them in this case, and neither does Carrie.
Speaker 2: To me, the spectral I mean, whether or not you believe in ghosts. I think we can all agree that people, especially families, you know, things weigh heavily on you. And you can wake up and have a dream about something that tells you something that you may have known internally but you hadn't really verbalized it or really had it come to the front of your mind. That to me seems like what happened with John Briggs. If I was going to be very rational about it.
Speaker 1: It actually doesn't matter if Rebecca Cornell visited her brother in spectral form. The ghost didn't even accuse her own son of doing anything. Anne Burne says, all that matters is that the jury believed the evidence.
Speaker 7: He got convicted on gossip and people taking sides like, you know, it's like elder abuse. So they they're taking the side of the you know, poor elderly mom who isn't being taken care of the way she should be, Like she's not being fed well, and she could he wouldn't hire and made for her, and you know, he wouldn't warm her bed before she got in, and then she would complain to anybody who would listen. And they came forward and said, yes, he's a terrible hun he's a terrible fun But did that account.
Speaker 1: From her her? So Thomas Cornell was convicted. Now what murder convictions in the sixteen hundreds were rare, and when there were convictions, they weren't typically involving people like Thomas, someone with no criminal record. He and Sarah Earle were both from good families in New England and now he faced a hanging. But Thomas seemed more worried about what would happen after his execution, How would his family be taken care of?
Speaker 2: So one of the interesting things about probate at this time period in this place is that if you die by suicide or if you commit a crime and are hanged, then you forfeit your property and then they can parcel it out or.
Speaker 1: The Colony of Rhode Island could take it over. None of that would have been good news for the Cornells. A murder conviction was terrible, but if Rebecca had taken her own life, that would have also been bad for them. So maybe that was the cover up.
Speaker 2: The question is, did Rebecca die by suicide and her son burned her body to cover it up so that he wouldn't lose any of his inheritance that he had been waiting so long for, or did either Thomas or Sarah kill Rebecca and then cover it up so that again they wouldn't have to pay for it, either by being hanged or by losing the property.
Speaker 1: Burns and I can't shake the idea that John Briggs started all of this. Was it really just based on a ghost and was he really telling the truth?
Speaker 7: What did John Briggs have to gain from creating this drama? He could have just let it go. Like the whole thing is that John Briggs.
Speaker 6: Brought this to the authorities. He is to me the most curious person of all of this. Why did he feel the need to go to the authorities and have them reexamine her body? What did he have to gain?
Speaker 7: Who was he mad at?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: You know, did you think remember that John Briggs was a founder of Portsmouth, one of the most esteemed people in New England. Ultimately, Anne Burns and Gloria Schmidt believe that Thomas Cornell was railroaded.
Speaker 7: Was Thomas Cornell Junior just a scapegoat of the time, Let's hold somebody accountable, Let's, you know, show that you can't commit murder and get away with it.
Speaker 5: I almost think that he was convicted of being a poor son rather than an eyewitness saying, you know, he committed this crime. It was more while he didn't do her right, those kinds of comments are I think, what has the jury thinking? You know, there's something wrong here.
Speaker 1: So Thomas Cornell Junior was set to die by the news. But remember he allegedly had that conversation with his wife in jail, that one about keeping secrets, And soon Sarah Earle would face accusations of her own. This story isn't over yet. On the final episode of this season of tenfold More Wicked on exactly right.
Speaker 7: I think her exact words were, a great black dog leaped out of the doorway at them.
Speaker 8: I interpreted that as her trying to claim in court that our mother in law was a witch.
Speaker 5: Thomas Junior's brother sought to have Sarah pride for the murder.
Speaker 2: And that's not her mother. It's an old woman that just won't die.
Speaker 3: We don't think there's anything that's been missing in.
Speaker 2: This case, right, No, But in the sense that both Wikipash, the former servant, and Sarah were arrested, was there conspiracy?
Speaker 7: It was like a gossip mongering festival against this guy. You know, they wanted to find somebody guilty.
Speaker 10: In the conversations I have with people, we've reached a tipping point where there is an awareness of innocent people being in prison and that this is a tragedy and that this is not something we as a society want. But then the second question that immediately follows is well, what are we going to do about it?
Speaker 1: If you love true crime, check out my books American Sherlock and All That Is Wicked. I also have an audio book called The Ghost Club. I can't wait to tell you the real story about the world's most famous ghost hunter, who was the head of the world's most famous ghost club, and how he investigated England's most famous haunted house. This has been an exactly right tenfold more media production producer Jason Whaling, Senior producer Alexis and Morosi, Consulting producer Kyle Ryan, researcher Nicole Brown, sound designer Eric Friend, additional sound design by Nicholas Mooney's composer Curtis Heath, artwork Nick Toga. Executive producers Georgia hart Stark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow us on Instagram and Facebook at tenfold more Wicked