Speaker 1: Navy Federal has a mission to put members first by making their financial goals the priority. Receive a lifetime of membership benefits to help you and your family accomplish your life missions like a full suite of financial products designed to fit your needs. Twenty four to seven, live support and access to over three hundred branches on or near military bases. Visit Navy Federal dot org for more information, or call one eight eight eight eight four to two six three two eight, or download the Navy Federal Credit Union app. Message and data rates may apply. Navy Federal is federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Solid Verbal Come.
Speaker 1: That for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy? For day at the State?
Speaker 1: Is that? Whoo whoom? And now down and tie. Welcome back to the Solid Verba boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brand, joining me as always my man over there in beautiful New York City, the one, the only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Tye. I've made a certain realization during your introduction to this what Fifth Bowl preview.
Speaker 1: YEP, something like that number five.
Speaker 2: Not as young as we used to be.
Speaker 1: We are not.
Speaker 2: No, when we started this show, we were young bucks. Yeah, don't know how old you were. You were probably in your late twenties. I was in my mid twenties something like that. And there are certain signifiers that alert you to the fact that, Wow, I am definitely older than I used to be. Yeah, I am definitely at least approaching becoming a grown up. And I had that moment before we started recording today, when I was looking through my like eleven t options and figuring out what I wanted. It's like I could do this. I have like four different kinds of green tea tie right right, right now. I have teas that I have specifically because they're good at expelling things from your box. Sure, they are anti inflammatory, and it's an essential. I don't think there's any turning back. I think this is just who I am as we enter twenty nineteen, Are you having something to drink right now?
Speaker 1: I'm drinking a lemon Lacroix as we speak.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. I have a Japanese sensha. I've opted for my green tea, my Japanese sensia.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome, back to the show, hopefully wherever you may be listening to us, you've got a beverage of choice, be it green tea, be it a carbonated beverage, maybe an adult libation. Dan.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, We've got.
Speaker 1: Another batch of bowl games that we're going to get through here, starting with the autozoned Liberty Bowl and running all the way through the final bowl game on Tuesday night, be the first of January twenty nineteen, the All State Sugar Bowl in Super Dome, Texas and Georgia. So I got about eight games here on the docket. Of course, there is going to be a national championship game, which we will preview once we know who's playing in that game. But if you'd like our full analysis on who we think is going to be playing in that game, go back one show, look up our last show, talk about it at the top. But how are you feeling? You're ready to do this?
Speaker 2: Ty? I've never been more ready for anything in my life. Once again, thanks to the delicious mug of Japanese centsha green tea in front of me.
Speaker 1: Damn the weak You know, I never did get around to making that bull sound.
Speaker 2: What was it going to be like? Walk us through your intention.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the low hanging fruit would be a bowling alley. But that's the low hanging fruit, right. So I had a couple different options that I was going to go with, like someone filling up a Super Bowl, But how exactly lead you communicate that via sound?
Speaker 2: There are there are people who will ASMR souper bowl audio easily, yeah, without hesitation. If you want to do an ASMR bowl recap where it's just you talking about things you enjoyed from bowl season while delicately sipping from a spoon as you eat ingest hot soup, and you do it in that oral aa u r e L. That's that's the word I'm looking for. Quality of ASMR. I'm I'm meeting.
Speaker 1: What would happen if we tried an asm R college football podcast series?
Speaker 2: Everybody would unsubscribe.
Speaker 1: Everybody would unsubscribe.
Speaker 2: I think my parents, if they caught wind of it, would sort of distance themselves.
Speaker 1: Mama h would call me at four thirty in the morning when she listens what is going on with this thing? Yeah, well, welcome back to the show. We promise not to creep you out too much. We've got one final batch here I'm excited to dive in. I think we should just start with the AutoZone Liberty Bowl. Dan, let's get in the.
Speaker 2: Zone, get in the zone two zone.
Speaker 1: I play this one at the Liberty Ball Memorial Stadium in Memphis's on New Year's Eve. It's on ESPN. It's Missouri at eight and four. I don't know why I did that. It's Oklahoma Stateke.
Speaker 2: You do that most times, you say the name of the state. Yeah, yeah, it's your thing.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma State at six and six, Missouri nine and a half points. The favorite the teams playing in this game.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Gas shopping trip to Memphis's Bass Pro Shops not bad, all right? I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get some tackle, some bait. Oh, they's still a lot at bass Pro Shops. It's a large store.
Speaker 1: A boz Soundlink micro bluetooth.
Speaker 2: Speaker sounds great.
Speaker 1: A Belova watch, Dan, fancy Nike Athletic. They choose sports sandals, backpack in, sunglasses, and football.
Speaker 2: We need to spice these up a little bit. Because you're just listing products. Will you choose the next few games? Will you choose one of the items and read it in the old ESPN voice that the voiceover guy did like presented.
Speaker 1: I can do that, Yeah, I can.
Speaker 2: Okay, in a football I'm gonna show it's time next. We got a lot of balls together. We gotta keep it spicy, tie, we gotta keep the magic alive. So missoo Oklahoma State. I have no feel for this game at all.
Speaker 1: None. Okay, Justice Hill sitting out for Oklahoma State, not gonna play. I think Miszoo's more consistent. But Oklahoma State they scare the hell out of me. I haven't been able to get the pulse of Oklahoma State all year. I am gonna go Missouri, but like low single digits in terms of confidence points, I'm just not confident at all. And then in this game, even though Vegas has them installed as a pretty significant favorite.
Speaker 2: The last time you checked, is stillwater Oklahoma? I think the word is enclave, like theat like Vatican City inside Rome.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is still Water Oklahoma inside of Memphis? Uh No, Yeah, I can't imagine that's ever been the case. Oklahoma State this year one and four away from Stillwater, and that one win was Kansas. They lost three of their last four, including two bad ones Baylor and TCU. Not great in terms of Momenta coming into this game, especially not without justice. Hell, even though Ty, we love corn Dock. We love Cornock, I hate the actual food, love the actual quarterback and what he was able to do this year. Miszoo finishes with they went five of their last six, probably should have been six straight. I saw the end of that Kentucky Mazoo game. Should have been six out of six. Offensively, these teams in terms of points per drive were identical, and Mazoo has the better defense and us I'm going with the Tigers here. It's a lot of points. I don't again, I'm a confidence man once we get down to it. And was it the Auto's own Liberty Bowl? So yeah, I am going thirty seven points?
Speaker 1: How Boucher whoa Yes, our easy killer. I'm going like six five. I have to see what I have left here.
Speaker 2: But come on, Ty, No, No, not a good read on this game at all. But we do agree we both like Miss Memphis. Memphis. Just get barbecue somewhere anywhere, Rendezvous.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday bowld In. Yes, listen, on our last show and on many shows before that, we've both expressed our disdain for New Year's Eve. And I'm sure there are o bawlers listening out there who are a similar mind. M hmm. If you and that special someone, if you're looking to get romantic New Year's Eve at home.
Speaker 2: Are you about to call a bed a gift? Sweet time?
Speaker 1: Maybe some champagne, maybe by fire? Oh? Why not take the passion up a notch and flip on Northwestern against.
Speaker 2: Utah When you like scoring but you don't need a lot of.
Speaker 1: It, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is an abstinence forward bowl. Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh no, Fox Sports One. It's a gus game. So there's that. Yeah, I get you going Northwestern eight and five Utah nine and three. Utah is a seven and a half point favorite. The only real bullet point of intrigue for me is that Tyler Huntly broke his collar bone beginning in November against Asu, and there's a chance he's actually going to be cleared for contact and that he'll play. Now, again, we're recording this a little early, so by the time you're listening, that may or may not be the case. Nonetheless, there's a chance, and if he plays, I think that boats pretty well for Utah. The other thing that bodes really well for Utah. Kyle Whittingham is eleven and one in bowl games, does career, he shows up. He knows how to coach in bowl games. I think it's low scoring, I think it's ugly, but I'm pretty confident in Utah. Here with seventeen confidence points.
Speaker 2: I like Utah as well they are without. I believe Troy Taylor, their offensive coordinator, is new head coach at Sacramento States. Don't think that'll affect things too dramatically, but perhaps I'm wrong. Yes, you're right. Utah did deal with a couple of key injuries in their backfield towards the end of the season. Onto Northwestern, though, because they finished the season winning three or four, we all saw them losing the Big Ten championship game. But they win their first division title in the Big Ten. They after I think they clean themselves up after that buye. They spit up on themselves a little bit in September, as they usually do, but then they went on to win seven of eight in regular Big Ten play. Offense is still rough. It improved from like disaster to pretty bad. When when they went to Isac a Bowser, he was at least a ray of sunshine at times. But Utah I just think is stronger. They finished their regular conference season winning six of seven, that's wins over Oregon, Stanford, USC before they spit up on themselves against Washington in Again, we've talked previously about burying game tape underneath the core of to the core.
Speaker 1: Of the shoot it down into the earth or out into orbit.
Speaker 2: Let future generations stumble upon it and be horrified. The Pac twelve championship game against Washington, Utah has the better defense to me, and I just think it is a plain good matchup for the Utes. And you're right about what they've been able to do in the postseason in bowl season. So I'm going with the Utes here. And confidence wise, I want to say I have this somewhat high. Yeah, Oh my gosh, Ty, we're at thirty eight. This is this is These are my money Bowls.
Speaker 1: I got all my big pointers out of the way. I know you did it early on, get him out the way early.
Speaker 2: I did lose. What was your big whiff? The big w was Louisiana. Mm yeah, but all the other ones I've hit. You raged a little too hard on those Cajuns.
Speaker 1: A little bit, a little bit yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh oh, San Diego though, right, San Diego. I got recommendations a plenty tie real quick, great burger at Ho Dad's. It's right by the water. There might be a couple locations now, really really good burger. And do not try to take down an entire milkshake yourself. You will become cold and it will wreak havoc on your system like it did for a lion I fan Scott's front of the program. Also, there's a place called El Indio, and I still have a shirt from l Indio. They claim to have and I have no reason not to believe them invented the tiqito. Okay, and it's really good. They make their own tortillas there. El Indio good Like if you're looking for an old school place, it probably isn't the best taco in San Diego, the best burrito, but real cool experience El Indio.
Speaker 1: Damn. Participants in this game.
Speaker 2: Receive read it correctly.
Speaker 1: Gift suite fossil watch.
Speaker 2: I only wanted one of them, but you ear a cap in camp. Yeah, uh not bad. I imagine when we see these watches with the Bowl games, I think they're like they have the Bowl logo on them, which is not as cool if you're on a date and somebody's noticing your watch and you're like, oh, you're like Bill Snyder and you're wearing a San Diego County credit Union Holiday Bowl watch. Okay, so we'll see. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: By the way, San Diego County Credit Union now owns the branding rights to the stadium. So it's the San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl at the San Diego County Credit Union Stadium in San Diego.
Speaker 2: There's no more point Setia Bowl, right. No, that was the real difficult one for me because that was the San Diego County credit Union point Setia Bowl. A lot of harder to say than Holiday But san Diego great place. Enjoy some nice weather, hopefully if you are coming from Chicago or Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the easton tax Slayer Gator Bowl. Dam play this one in Jacksonville, TIAA Bank Stadium.
Speaker 2: Okay, so New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: It's on ESPN's NC State nine and three, Texas A and M at eight and four. The Aggies are a six and a half point favorite. Participants in this game receive Fossil Watch now we Jim sunglasses.
Speaker 2: You got to dip into like a E like you have to. Really, there's that voice in there Amazon Echo, Yeah, there it is. You're yelling at Sandals, a generic energy drink. I slide Sandals. I said that already, Si c Tumblr and adopt Kit, which we've already as a toiletry bag. There's a little slide down into the voice. It's like a little bunny soup kit. God, this is the worst show we've ever done.
Speaker 1: It could be.
Speaker 2: Okay, NC State Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: Both Kelvin Harmon and Jermaine Pratt are going to be out for NC State. Yes, I am all in on A and M in this game.
Speaker 2: To be honest here, Okay.
Speaker 1: I think NC State's nine wins are very thin. Now they lose two stars. It's not setting them up well for an A and M team that's young, They're plucky as hell. They scared me all year. I think they destroy NC State and I'm going A and M with thirty four confidence points here.
Speaker 2: NC State is I don't know if this is insulting or complementing complimentary to whom, but a little like Utah and Bull season, they get their act together they show up. They trounced Arizona State last year out West in a bowl. I think there was a Sun Bowl where they played. Last year. NC State was better on both sides of the ball in terms of points per drive in TAXA.
Speaker 1: A and M.
Speaker 2: Granted ACC was kind of a mess this year list NC State will also be without Eli Drinkwitz, the new app State head coach, so he was their offensive coordinator, younger guy. We talked about him a couple of shows ago in terms of his background. The wolf Pack win four or five, and I know you've abandoned our roots as an NC State fan show. I'm out, but sir, I have not that those four out of five were against not great teams. There was one hundred weird weight loss. But I actually do like the fact that NC State played the run pretty well because that is the best thing that texts A and M does probably as a team has run the ball because of how good and sort of under the radar again Travon Williams was this season. A and M finishes the season winning three straight, including that seventeen hour game against LSU. I think I'm going NC State here. Wow, I am going Pack here. I am I am TI, I'm a believer.
Speaker 1: I'm out.
Speaker 2: Really, you're just out.
Speaker 1: I'm out out in the wolf pack.
Speaker 2: What is your confidence level in text A and M here?
Speaker 1: Thirty four points?
Speaker 2: Thirty four? Let me right, hair, because I have NC State only six? Only six?
Speaker 1: Okay? Fair? And we just agree.
Speaker 2: And I don't have where's this game in Jacksonville?
Speaker 1: Games in Jacksonville, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't have Jacksonville, Rex, I apologize. Find uh what's the supermarket? Everybody seems to like, probably never had a real sandwich? Oh public's yeah, yeah, go get a public sandwich.
Speaker 1: Dan. This takes us to New Year's Day.
Speaker 2: Okay, we finally got in here.
Speaker 1: It's twenty nineteen. Happy New Year. If you're listening to this, maybe in twenty nineteen, hopefully before twenty nineteen, because a lot of this stuff is dated by then. But let's go to the outback ball Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. It's on New Year's Dave, It's on ESPN two. It's Mississippi State at eight and four.
Speaker 2: Second Bowl game in Raymond James. Right, Yeah, we had the gas Beria Gosparija. Yeah yeah, mississ State.
Speaker 1: And Iowa both teams eight and four. Mississippi State a seven point favorite. Of note here, Iowa's Noah Fant, their star tight end, is going to be sitting this one out, which is actually very significant, not that the others aren't, but he led the team in touchdown catches. This is not exactly a pyrotechnic offense, so to lose someone of his caliber is going to have I think some real significance here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like Mississippi State to the two to twenty two confidence points. I think their defense is too good. I don't know how Iowa moves the ball against them, and I would expect that we're going to see a big game from Nick Fitzgerald's final game.
Speaker 2: Do you think anybody unironically has ever written out or set out loud the phrase quote the high flying Iowa offense. Do you think that has.
Speaker 1: Some local sports guy has gone there, But it's only a local sports guy. He can't get away with that on the national stage.
Speaker 2: I've been on the radio in Iowa. There's some nice, smart dudes, and I think there's a good amount of self awareness in terms of fan bases with senses of humor about themselves and college football in general. I was one of the funnier fan bases in my experience, and so unironically that's hard for me to imagine.
Speaker 1: The high flying Iowa offense.
Speaker 2: High flying, high flying Hawkey.
Speaker 1: Can we just run with that next year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely sure. Well we'll find the electric electric City. Players in this game will be walking away with a fossil wash a ring from Tye, the only place that makes rings. Justin's Jostin's. Yeah, you get a best Buy gift card for one hundred and twenty five bucks. It seems decent enough. A gift card to Outback Steakhouse, which I do believe was started in Tampa, Florida in Australia. And hats. I hope it's just a grab bag of hats that somebody shows up with.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a big outback bull hat I have.
Speaker 2: I actually have been to an Outback in the last what three years? Probably it was fine.
Speaker 1: They just built the new one right down the street here.
Speaker 2: I just generally speaking, there's there's probably a place that will make a steak or a piece of fish that's better and more local. No rules, just right, no rules, just right. Bread's still pretty good. Mississippi State they won four of their last five, including some of whom, some of which in absolutely murderous fashion. Iowa won two of their last three after a three game losing streak. They just struggled on the ground once again. I know Makhai Sargent was a bright spot, both in terms of running the ball as an all purpose weapon as well, but was they just were not a team that generated big plays, which if this full on excellent Mississippi State defense is vulnerable, it is in giving up those plays. I was not that team. They just are not. And I originally had this as a forty pointer, but I actually do like Iowa's ability mostly to show up in bowl games. So I'm gonna I'm gonna lower this one to about fourteen fifteen, somewhere in that range. But I do like Mississippi State here maybe in the twenties.
Speaker 1: Mississippi State twenty two confidence points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay. We were Tampa food eat Cuban food.
Speaker 1: What was that we went to?
Speaker 2: It was an old school. There was like we were in the middle of a Cuban food Tampa. It was. We had good sandwich.
Speaker 1: It was in Andy Staples wreck.
Speaker 2: It was an Andy Stables recommendation. It was very like in a very good way, old fashioned. I think they made salads at the side of your table. Was it La Terrasita? It sounds familiar, It looks like it was probably La Terra Sita. Let's move on to the VRBO Citrus Bull Yeah, what is vrbo? You don't know what vrbo is?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Vrbo is like Airbnb.
Speaker 1: I think vr bo. Yeah, Citrus Bowl Camping World Stadium in Orlando. Also New Year's Day on ABC Kentucky at nine and three, Penn State at nine and three. The Knits are a six and a half point favorite. The participants in this game get four hundred dollars Best Buy gift card, Fossil watch, and Aggio backpack. Dan with the luggage tag.
Speaker 2: That was good. That was like. That could have been a like the tail end of a baseball.
Speaker 1: Do you think that guy uses that voice just normally and he can't control it or is that a mode that he switches into when he's doing vos.
Speaker 2: I want to tread very carefully here because I believe so. There is a an ESPN voiceover guy who just passed away, okay, and I think he's eighty nine. Okay, his name is Lee Leonard, but I don't know if that's that same.
Speaker 1: No, I can't be that guy.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, he was eighty nine years old. First of all, may he rest in peace. Sure had to have been super cool to have been the first voice on ESPN. But it looks like he was on camera, so I think it's different.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Second of all, you really nailed that read right there.
Speaker 1: I want to meet the guy. I want to have him on to do like.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the story there's a story about one of those guys. No who there's a dead Spin story about one of the ESPN voiceover guys who just set up a much like you and I sort of have a little studio at home that's soundproof ish, and he took the job thinking he was just going to like it was just freelance work. Turns out he was. He's like the most important like sports voiceover guy ever. And sometimes he does it from because there are countless TV shows and podcasts and radio shows that he'll do it from his his studio mostly, but sometimes they bring him into Bristol to like to do it live and it's very weird for people, which is great. Search it out. It was a cool story.
Speaker 1: I like the Kentucky defense, as you should. I really like Benny Snell. I really like Josh Allen. I really like that they're both playing in this game, which is coolly. I don't like their offense at all, other than Benny Snell. There you and I particularly don't like their offense against a really good Penn State defense, which has been solid all year. I hate the situation for Kentucky being so it's Trace mcsorley's final game as a Penn State quarterback. I think Penn State's going to come out there loaded for bear, and I think there's a chance that they run away and hide in this one, even though Kentucky's got the defense. I think Penn State wins going away twenty seven confidence points. Then wow.
Speaker 2: So Kentucky just some context. They went to of their last three, but that includes that ugly loss at Tennessee. For a season in general, huge success, beating Florida, beating South Carolina, beating Mississippi State, emphatically beating Miszoo, Ast Risk and Penn State. After that ugly Michigan State loss, which we've talked about recently, at home, they won their last five of six. The offense, I would say It's fair to say took a step back without maybe their most dynamic player ever in Saquon Barkley, and their defense definitely took a step back against the run, but was pretty great through the air against the pass. They are better in both phases. They end up the season better in both phases than Kentucky on offense and defense. So I'm going with Penn State here. I'm going with a good amount of confidence, and I just hope that Kentucky, even if they don't win this game, I hope and it's twenty nine points for me. I hope Kentucky after the weird way that that their bowl game last year turned out, I think it was against Northwestern with Benny Snell being tossed. I want Kentucky to show out at least and make this a cool competitive game, if not win, But I do think Penn State is double digit's ish points better.
Speaker 1: Moving on to the PlayStation fiesta ble Dan, Yeah, yeah, this is gonna be a good one or gift package fossil watch with an engraved case back in an Ogio X fit backpack.
Speaker 2: Then do you think there are different Ogio O or Agio departments where they like I'm on the x fit team. I'm on the Techno Techno Pack team. There probably are, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean like their corporate headquarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the corporate headquarters. Do you think, like in the way that Apple probably has an iPad team and they have an Apple Watch team, and they have a home pod team that they just hired. They made a splash hire for their ex fit team.
Speaker 1: I'd like to believe that that's the case.
Speaker 2: Like, are there different levels of respectability within Ogio? Like when you get called up to x fit, is that like the show?
Speaker 1: Is that? Like? Yeah? Right?
Speaker 2: Is that? That's what I That's what I wonder when I see all of these names that I have no idea which is better or smaller or more advanced than what I want to know the inner workings of Ogio. So if anybody listening not a spot at Ogio, not a spot, or knows somebody at o Yo, let's give get us the goods and information about the structure.
Speaker 1: Okay, PlayStation Fiesta Bowl State Farm Stadium is what they're calling it now out there in Glendale. It's also on New Year's Day ESPN. It is between LSU at nine and three, UCF at twelve, and oh LSU is a seven point favorite here, Dan, to give some context, Greedy Williams not playing for LSU, he's going pro. And also, just in case you forgot, Mackenzie Milton went down with the horrible injury a few weeks ago, so he's not going to be playing for Central Florida. What other contextual clues do we have here? Dan?
Speaker 2: All right, so just a little rewind here. LSU lost two of their last three SEC games, including that strange one to text A and m ultimately fun for all of us, probably not fun.
Speaker 1: Seventy four seventy two.
Speaker 2: That sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Offense, offense graded out to okay, had moments, you know, had a huge win over George, scored a bunch of points. Very very good defense, especially against the past, perhaps less so without Greedy Williams. And UCF we talk about, you know, teams winning of three of the last four, seven of the last eight. UCF has won twenty five of their last twenty five. As you mentioned, no Mackenzie Milton, but Dariel mack was pretty much money against Memphis in that American Title game. He had a nightmare first quarter. I think he had three fumbles and they fell behind. They were down seventeen for good chunks of those games, but he scored six total touchdowns. I believe in that game his first game fully sort of enveloped in that starter role and dual threats can can be very fun. I want to say, Mackenzie Milton scored thirty one against Memphis and Dariel Max scored fifty six or led an effort to score fifty six. So drop off I don't think is crazy. Mackenzie Milton's still better defensively. These two teams against very different opponents, and schedules looked to be about the same. Contextually, UCF has a big offensive advantage. I think I'm going with the Knights to go back to back, Ty, how about that.
Speaker 1: I am not super confident in my LSU pick, I'm not. If Mackenzie Milton were playing, I think I'd be going to walk it in. Yeah, but I'm just I'm very not confident, Okay, very.
Speaker 2: I have UCF at seven, so I'm sort of there with you.
Speaker 1: I got LSU at four. Hmm at four, But I could see this one going either way. I think the motivation gap is real in a game like this, it always tends to be and uh, you know you CF showed out pretty well. Spot if you.
Speaker 2: Are if you are heading from Florida to Greater Phoenix Glendale area, if you're going from Baton Rouge to this area, one play some golf. If you're into golf, Ty, have you ever played out here?
Speaker 1: You know what? I haven't. I'd love to.
Speaker 2: It's really some really nice courses out there. Also, if you like pizza, Ty, you like pizza, love pizza, and I think you were out there when we got this place. Pizza Rha Bianco real good, really really real, one of probably my three or four favorite pizza places in the country.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: To the Rose Bowl game presented by Northwestern Mutual Dan.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ty, you're gonna have to carve out a ninety seconds to two minutes for food here, but let's let's do this.
Speaker 1: Play it at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. New Year's Day ESPN. It's Washington at ten and three, It's Ohio State at twelve and one. The buck eys a seven point favorite. They get a gift suite, a fossil watch, an ogo backpack. Doesn't say which kind a New era ninety adjustable hat.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if ESPN employs that voice anymore.
Speaker 1: I hopefully probably like what they've done with James Earl Jones, where Disney has found a way to just digitally map every possible sound that that voice can make, and now they can just type it into a keyboard.
Speaker 2: I always hear him saying Mountain Dew. I always hear it the winner X Games brought to.
Speaker 1: You by Mountain. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Washington, Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Here's what we have working against Washington. Okay, we have Urban Myers champions that. Yeah, but we have Urban Meyer's final game, so we know Ohio State is going to be amped up for that.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: This also feels to me like one of those timeless classics, those Jake Browning can't get over the Hump type games.
Speaker 2: Okay, we had a couple of them.
Speaker 1: I think we got Dwayne Haskins going out there trying to improve his potential draft stock.
Speaker 2: Maybe his last game is a Buckeye.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: As of the time we're recording this.
Speaker 1: I think a lot working in Ohio State's favor. I love Washington's defense, but there is something about them now as there was earlier in the year where it feels like there's another gear they haven't reached. It me Ohio State in twenty two confidence points.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, So Washington did finish the season winning five of six, not always in impressive fashion. They did beat the best team on their schedule, and yes that includes Auburn, but now I'm referring to Utah they beat him twice. The offense did seem somewhat off this year. I'm not even referencing the Pac twelve Championship game, but in terms of moving the ball downfield, generating bigger plays on the ground and O'mles Gaskin was battling injuries, but he still goes over a thousand yards. They just were not that explosive, particularly on the ground. And oisow State won twelve of thirteen this year. Just that Perdue game, that was That was the hiccup. Dwayne Haskins amazing and like, like you have to deal with ty in your backyard. Yeah, you don't always have the best time accounting for a lot of grass, That's right, and this Ohio State team can give up a lot of grass And this is this is the real thing, I believe. Still in the Rose Bowl stadium, so that is a concern. I don't think the matchup is particularly great for Washington. I love the the Husky secondary against this passing attack in the open field. I love the safeties, I love the corners. Byron Murphy is as physically talented a corner. I think that there is in the country and he's coming out. I was expected to come out for the NFL Draft, so that to me is incredible. So if Ohio State is sloppy through the air, I think Washington can take advantage. But in a game like this, for against an Ohio State team that is going to be playing out of their minds in urban Meyers last game, I think you got to have bucket getters and I just don't see it out of Washington. I just it's hard for me to see Washington scoring thirty five, which.
Speaker 1: I don't see it. No, I don't see it.
Speaker 2: Ohio State is going to score, maybe not a lot, maybe they're held down a little, but that's it feels like that's the region that Washington needs to end with to win this game. So what confidence did you say.
Speaker 1: Twenty two Ohio State?
Speaker 2: Oh I have Ohio State at I only have it at four. Right now, four or five. I switched it up. Okay, I think I'm going up a little bit because I am worried because we're talking about my my core of points per drive defense, and Washington is way out ahead. Interesting, They're way way out because Ohio State did give up a lot in a few games this year.
Speaker 1: So I'm going with that right now. Last, and finally, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, tie, this is my moment.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Is my moment.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Continue.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, this is ahead of anything food wise. If you are considering at this time, I mean the Rose Bull is what? So this will go up what seven, eight, nine days ahead of the Rose Bowl? If you're an Ohio State fan. If you're a Washington fan, I mean, Ohio State's been there relatively recently, It's been a while for Washington. If you're even considering, should I go to the Rose Bull? Is this the year I finally go to the Rose Bowl? Even if you just if it's a bucket list thing for you, you have to go. You have to have to have to if prices are reasonable, if you can afford to go, if you can somehow get your hands on tickets. This is This is the bucket list for a college football fan, as far as I'm concerned. Food wise, there it is, so you're probably going to be staying somewhere near downtown Sonora Town, Guisado's Mariscos, Jalisco, M A R I s Cos and another word j A L I s Coo. All casual taco places all on like my Hall of Fame level for La Tacos. There's a food hall Grand Central Market also downtown grab in and out. If you're driving around, it's really good. Don't try to compare it to other places. Just enjoy it for what it is. Also a good burger at plan Check. You want any if you want any specific recommendations, if you want to know like sushi or Chinese food or Korean food or whatever. Salvadoran at Dan Rubinstein on Twitter. I'm happy to help.
Speaker 1: We need a bat signal.
Speaker 2: I think it gave Like I gave a list of like forty places to a Minneapolis for baller that we met.
Speaker 1: We need a bat signal that people around the country can shine into the night sky. Yeah, when they need a food wreck and then Dan just comes to the rescue.
Speaker 2: I'm builing. I'm building a massive Google map right now of national places that I've been to and recommend.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, okay, So.
Speaker 1: We were finally the all stage Sugar Bowl in the Superdome in New Orleans to close out New Year's Day. Everyone goes back to work the next day, so enjoy this one while it lasts. So on ESPN, it's Texas at nine and four, it's Georgia at eleven and two. The Dogs a thirteen point favorite here over the Longhorns in the Sugar Bowl to get the gift Suite, the Fossil Watch, the new Era cap rock them socks. They're back Dan in Kifflee you beat me to it in mill kiff Leeks.
Speaker 2: I imagine the gift sue. It's pretty robust at the sh I.
Speaker 1: Would think, I would think. I think Georgia has way too much balance here, and I think they're just it's a much better team than Texas. Texas is all Sam Ellinger and little Jordan Humphrey and Colin Johnson. You know, they got weapons, and I think I like where Texas is headed. I think they're going in the right direction. But as for now, Georgia has way too much offensively, defensively thirty five confidence points, dogs win the Sugar Bowl.
Speaker 2: You're worried about motivation Georgia another presipici.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not so much worried about Georgia having a letdown. I'm worried about Texas playing up as sometimes they do for sure in a big game. So I think that's really the only variable. I don't know about thirteen points, that's all Texas has.
Speaker 2: Bucket getters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm going to go Georgia thirty five confidence points.
Speaker 2: So Texas wins three of their last four. They move the ball relatively efficiently because of I mean, little Jordan Humphrey. Once again, in terms of all purpose receivers, I don't even know if that's a term, just yards after the catch, fighting mid air, you know, taking screens, running through tackles, whatever, it's just incredible. The defense definitely had some bad stretches, but those wide receivers once again, pretty high ceiling. So that's exciting if you're a Texas fan. Georgia is higher both points per drive offense and defense, which I appreciate. They were pretty much excellent all season long. They had a couple of stretches, you know, the first half against Miszoo the LSU game. But this is not a Georgia team that really has definitive weaknesses. Offense was very balanced. They won five of their last six. We all saw them have Bama on the ropes until Jalen Hurts comes in. They are just better constructed right now to beat good teams. I have Georgia with a pretty high level of confidence right now. Georgia for me is at thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Woo, get it down about it. Get those points.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, if you're in New Orleans, which arguably is just the most indulgent place to eat food in a Maria, you've been.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, bunch of times.
Speaker 2: It's really tough. It's a cliche, but it's really tough to get a bad meal if you're a po boy kind of person. Killer Poe boys. And there's a place a little outside of the tourist area called Bevy b e v Y outstanding. I like Kashan Butcher for sandwiches. Koashan for a sit down restaurant is great, but it's very tough. If you want Bennet's that The famous place is what's Cafe Dumont. It's opened I think twenty four hours. Just go when you're drunk in the middle of the night. But again, don't wait in lines. Don't wait in long lines unless you're dying for like a very specific place. Don't wait three hours for a meal because like Sylvain is incredible, syl v Ai n one of the best pork shoulders I've ever had. It's just you throw a stone, you swing a cat. You're going to hit an amazing place. So really do it up right. If you're a Texas fan, if you're a Georgia fan, you're probably used to eating pretty well. But good for you get to go to New Orleans.
Speaker 1: So I'd like to give ourselves a round of applause here if you could.
Speaker 2: Dan now, we for sure earned it, and Randy Newman, yes.
Speaker 1: We did it. Five Bowl preview shows covered a lot of ground. Hopefully we provided some useful information that can inform your confidence pools.
Speaker 2: Dan didn't even start doing a weird voice until the fifth one. It's incredible good.
Speaker 1: We held off, We held off restraint. We've got one more show left in twenty eighteen. Then I'm sure we're gonna have a lot of fun with We'll review some bowls, we'll talk about the state of affairs moving forward into the National Championship. But one more show in this dang year, Dan, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I feel great. I feel as if the year, even though in terms of wackiness and chaos and stories coming out of nowhere and like a number one ranked team finishing with three losses, there wasn't that just we weren't injected with all sorts of electricity because of the season. But that's okay, because we've still got some really cool storylines, a lot of cool G five storylines, teams making leaps up, seems like Syracuse or Kentucky Utah breaking through, Northwestern breaking through and winning their divisions. And it wasn't a huge coaching change year, a carousel year, but still some fascinating flips to pay attention to for twenty nineteen, and just a couple of just housekeeping tie housekeeping notes. Please, we are not going to the Bay Area for the National Championship. No, We've gotten some emails about if we're doing a live show, if we're doing a meetup, et cetera, et cetera. Unfortunately, we're just we're kind of taxed out and this year will not be to break, you know, we did Minneapolis instead because to do something a little bit off the beaten path for us was attractive. So we will not be in San Francisco, Oakland by area, Santa Clara, And honestly, like, just watch this game on TV. You know it could be Alabama Clemson three. So that's not happening. But I am a hisipate. We'll try to do that. What twenty twenty. We'll get back on that. Where's the game in twenty twenty? You can look it up while while I'm rambling on and on. But once again, because it's important to us that you know this, because if you like this sort of weird college football show that we do, we do it all year long. We'll do it once a week after the season. We will do another recruiting special in early February. We will do more Homer episodes with experts who have combed through the teams that they cover with a finer tooth comb than we have and are able to do. So we will lean on those people across the country. You know, spring football will be here before we know it. We will do weird episodes. We will do in depth episodes, we will do scheme episodes. We'll have voices on the show that we have not had. We will take chances. We will fail, but we will also succeed sometimes. Hopefully we will do a fantasy draft live show in August. We will do the fantasy things and we will invent new, weird stuff. So if you like the show, so it goes to a fun place in the off season. So pay attention to your pod pod catcher, yeah choice. If you happen to listen and subscribe on Apple Podcasts, throw us at a tremendous review. Give us all of the stars. It helps. I think, I don't know. And yeah, we're here all year. We don't take breaks, we don't get tired, we.
Speaker 1: Don't get tired. We'll keep podcasting. So the twenty twenty games in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: I did a pretty good job stalling there, didn't I know.
Speaker 1: You did a great job. Thank you you. It's in New Orleans, so perhaps we can cash in on some of those food wrecks. Ty, we are in person.
Speaker 2: We are going We're going big.
Speaker 1: But as Dan said, yeah, we will be here all off season. We got big plans for twenty nineteen. We're excited about what twenty nineteen has in store for us. So we appreciate everyone sticking with us all throughout the season, all throughout Bowl season, and hopefully for at least one or two more shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll have we'll have more March March, right, Yes, Morch is coming.
Speaker 1: We'll have more Morch all right. Yeah, Well, Dan, go get some rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Michigan State's twenty sixteen, I have tired out near the.
Speaker 1: End for that guy over there, Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie hilden Brand, thanks again for tuning in to the show. Catch you on in a few days. In the meantime, to your week, your weekend, Stay solid, Peace,