Speaker 1: Welcome to couples Counseling with Chelsea hand job where we.
Speaker 2: Do couples counseling on all sorts of variations of friends, lovers, families.
Speaker 1: Welcome to my office. Hi Catherine, how are you? Hi Chelsea.
Speaker 3: I want to jump right in with our callers today, which are Rachel and Leah. Rachel is the one writing in and she says to dear Chelsea, I could really use some advice. About two months ago, I met a woman at a party and we fell hard for each other. It turns out she is polyamorous and married with a child. She's thirty six and I'm twenty eight. Traditionally I'd never go for someone who was in a situation like this, but I couldn't help myself. We have such a deep connection and she makes me so happy. She's also a rabbi, which is so meaningful to me because I'm Jewish. The thing is, she isn't out as polyamorous to her congregation, so we could never go public. Also, my boss happens to be in her congregation. Super weird coincidence. Additionally, I'm not one hundred percent on board with calling a woman with a husband and child my girlfriend let's call her Lee for these purposes. I was at her house earlier this week and had to leave because her husband was coming home and I couldn't fathom meeting him. I fear that if I were to meet him, I would feel really sad and ultimately freak out and break things off with Leah or fall in love with him too. It just seems potentially messy. Dating people who are unavailable is typically my pattern, and I recognize that Leah falls into the category of people who are unavailable. I'm at the point where I want to date other people, but I still want to date Leah. I'm scared of getting hurt, but I don't want to let go of my connection with her. How do I go about this without hurting my heart and still having fun? Thank you so much?
Speaker 4: Rachel, Hi, Rachel and Leah, Hi, Chelsea and Catherine, Hi, Hi you guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's recap.
Speaker 2: Rachel, you're polyamorous, No, that would be cool.
Speaker 1: Leah's polyamorous.
Speaker 2: Leah, you're polyamorous and you're a rabbi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And your husband knows you're polyamorous, obviously he is too. Okay, wonderful, great, But you're just not to your congregation, right, and then Rachel, so you're not polyamorous, but now you're looking to be polyamorous because you want to date Leah and other people, right.
Speaker 5: I mean, I yeah, yeah, I guess I am at that point.
Speaker 4: I want I can't. I can't found them not dating Leah. But I'm also.
Speaker 5: Trying to find my person as a monogamous person.
Speaker 4: So I guess I'm here trying to figure out where I can go from here, and I'm really struggling with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can imagine. How How did you guys meet at temple?
Speaker 6: That was crazy? Know, we met at the party. It was a really cute party just for women.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 6: Rachel rhinestoned my face and we smoked a joint together and it was really cute.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I need to go to your synagogue because it sounds pretty modern.
Speaker 5: No, that wasn't a synagogue.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 6: I'm at the synagogue, Paarl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a polyamorous you're smoking pot like all of these things are lining up.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And Rachel, are you are you both bisexual or Rachel are you a lesbian?
Speaker 5: I'm bisexual?
Speaker 2: You're bisexual? Okay, so you're looking for your partner, whether that be a man or woman. Right, Okay, great, well this is very interesting you guys.
Speaker 1: I like this. This is multi layered.
Speaker 2: I mean, Rachel, I would never say, like I think with someone like Leah who's a rabbi and who do you go to her congregation?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No, okay, I would never date someone in my congregation.
Speaker 1: For the rest Okay, okay, copy that. Copy that. I think you know what the rules are.
Speaker 2: So it's a very good experiment for you, and you should look at it as such, like I understand there are emotions involved and feelings involved, and you haven't necessarily been in this kind of dynamic before.
Speaker 1: Is that correct? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, So I think this is a huge opportunity for you, Like it'stunity to learn and grow. You and Leah can have this relationship that you have with the understanding. You have all the information, so it's not like you're getting you know, like all of a sudden you're finding out, you know, you're six months in you're in love with someone and you find out, oh my god, they're married this and that. No, you have all the information here to protect your emotions. So it's up to you to kind of do that job and say, Okay, this is never going to amount to a marriage or you know a.
Speaker 1: Person like a primary partner.
Speaker 2: You're a primary partner, right, this is going to amount to It could be a huge growing and learning experience for you, which I think it will be. And no one's being dishonest. So that's the biggest advantage so far, is that all the honesty's out on the table, and you're also person looking for your person, and while you have Leah in your life, like, that's not going to prevent you from looking that person. If you do, you feel like you have fallen in love with Leah already.
Speaker 4: I really love her, and I definitely think that we're on that track. Yeah, I guess I'm finding it difficult to be emotionally available to other people while I have all of this love and time and energy that I'm spilling into someone who ultimately could never be my primary partner.
Speaker 2: Okay, So does that make you think maybe you shouldn't be involved with Lee at all?
Speaker 1: Like you can't handle both of those things?
Speaker 4: No, No, I want to figure out and work on ways where I can't handle both of those things, because I do love her so much. And I don't ever want to not be romantically involved with her.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is sort of a follow your bliss moment, Like I know you want to find your primary partner. I know you want to find like the one, but right now, maybe it's okay to just let this be what it is and not try to put all your energy into places. Right we can't serve two masters. I think there's something about that, maybe somewhere in the oh uh, that's New Testament, never mind, But maybe right now you're just like having this really wonderful experience and let it be what it is and when and if you feel like that needs to change and you need to find another partner, then like then you move toward that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are your major concerns? You're concerned about? Protecting your emotions? Is that your number one? Like yeah, fear? Yeah, okay, Well, when you have the truth right before you, it's your decision. Like, there's nothing here that's not protecting your emotions, is what I'm saying. Everything is set up to protect your emotions because you know what the situation is, so like you have such a huge advantage. It's not like you're finding out it's not like, you know you're being blindsided. You know what you're getting into, And it's okay to fall in love with someone that's on able in a polyamorous situation, that's okay because you're also going to fall in love with other people in your life. And just because you're in love with this person doesn't prevent you from falling in love. That's like an idea that we put in our minds.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not.
Speaker 2: Living together and also seeking someone out, you know that would be something else. It's not like, oh, I have a whole life with but I'm still trying to meet someone else. You She has a whole life separate from you. She has a husband, she and I'm assuming she has a family too. Do you have children, Leah?
Speaker 1: I have a Kaid.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So there you have it. How integrated is she allowed to?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: How do you and your husband have your relationship set up with like your other partners and your other lovers? Like, how integrated can Rachel become in your life?
Speaker 5: He is down to meet her.
Speaker 6: I think my best case scenario one day, if I could get my wildest fantasy would be that she becomes like, you know, a close family friend, like, that's how it feels for everyone in my family except for for me, obviously it's beyond that, but as she does not want to meet him yet, or a slash maybe at all, which I totally understand and respect. Honestly like it when you identify as polyamorous, it is sometimes like an initial challenge or like emotionally slightly complicated to meet a partner's other partner. And then if you like don't even identify as Polly, like, oh my gosh, that must be I don't even know.
Speaker 5: I don't know how you're doing it, Rachel.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, right, it would be. But I wouldn't put a never on anything. You know, like, you don't want to meet him now, fine that you don't have to, But down the road you might change your mind.
Speaker 1: You probably will, and you probably will.
Speaker 2: Depending on your own situation and what happens with your situation and who you end up seeing and dating. And I wouldn't put a pin in any of that either. But I wouldn't be so aggressively in any direction. I would say to Rachel, just like, let enjoy what's happening. Enjoy relationship with Leah. It's not a secret that's a lifestyle that she's chosen and might be a lifestyle that you choose also. Or you might meet someone and then decide, oh, this isn't the way that or they might not be okay with it, they don't want you to have another lover, and then maybe that time will come in you'll have to make that decision. But I wouldn't put so much pressure on protecting your emotions. You have all the information that is your protection, and you should look at it as like a power, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, think of that, like no one's lying to you.
Speaker 2: So right there, you're in a powerful position to choose what you're willing, what you want. You know, do you want this? Can you handle her being with a husband? Can you handle that?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you think when you think about that in the long term of things, Say, you guys, do fall madly in love and she is still married? How does that? How do you see that playing out? What do you think of that? Do you think that's something that you can handle right now?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Not in the future, potentially.
Speaker 4: I just I think of her and her husband, and I like, I freak out. I get so sad, I get so sad and I think in my head, Wow, Leah is giving her.
Speaker 5: Love to someone who is not me, and that fucking sucks.
Speaker 2: Right Well, that makes that makes it sound like, yeah, you might not be able to handle that situation because you are going to be too jealous and and and you know, and that means you're probably not polyamorous.
Speaker 1: What thoughts have you given to being polyamorous.
Speaker 4: I've never thought about being polyamorous until I started dating Lea two months ago, so or I guess three months ago now. And I've been on a few dates with people since and a defining factor now And I haven't really talked to you about this before, Leah, but it's you know, is someone would someone be down with me having a girlfriend or dating someone else, or you know, would that person be open to polyamory with this specific person.
Speaker 5: Who I really love.
Speaker 4: I'm not closing off any options, And like you said, Chelsea, I'm focusing on staying.
Speaker 5: In the moment and staying present and being present.
Speaker 4: Because anytime I go and I spiral and my emotions get the most of me, I have to check back in with myself, take a few breaths, and remind myself this is it's practicing being in the moment.
Speaker 5: It's practicing being here.
Speaker 4: Now, because when I'm here now and I check in with myself, I'm like, everything's great, I am really happy, and I'm with someone who makes me really happy, and everything's gonna be fine.
Speaker 5: So I think that if I continue to check back in.
Speaker 4: With myself and remind myself that I'm okay, then it's going to be okay down the line, because I've come to terms in many ways that we will never, you know, get married or have children together, and Leo will never be my primary partner.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things you should take from this call is that it's okay to let yourself enjoy this for what it is right now, and checking in with yourself is the best way to do that, and like making sure that that's still the loudest voice. And then when there is a louder voice about like it's time to move on or it's time to find like a monogamous relationship, when and if that time comes, once that is louder, then you know it's time to make a change. But I think you're okay to like let yourself enjoy this for a while because you both seem really happy and glowy and you're in the throes of things, and I think you'll know when and if it's time to move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think you answered everything I was asking, Rachel. I think you really are enjoying yourself, being present, being in the moment when it becomes if, if it becomes emotionally tumultuous for you, then yes, then that's a time where you have to go, Okay, maybe I need a time out, or maybe I need to break this off, but I would say just go for it right now. It's a huge, like expansive experience that you're having with someone.
Speaker 1: It's been a couple months. Have fun, enjoy it.
Speaker 2: You know what the rules are, play the game and enjoy yourself and just take it one step at a time and be mindful of where your head is at, you know, and if it becomes too overwhelming for you, make sure that you're checking in with that too, and then that's fine, and I'm sure Lea will be respectful of that if and when that does happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: That is the way to go about it, because this is so special and I don't want to give up on this or leave this. I would like to continue to check in with myself and see where this can go.
Speaker 6: My dream is to be her bridesmaid one day.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm very excited about the possibilities and the outcome of this and where this goes. I mean, in a perfect world, you'll find a partner, they'll be polyamorous, you'll all be polyamorous, and you can live a happily ever after life with just like two partners each of you, and then like great, then we're really evolving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Okay, all right, keep us posted. Okay, take care of you too.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Catherine, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Bye, do do do do drum roll, Catherine, please, Chelsea Handler Abroad. Abroad is my European tour. So I'm coming to obviously find a husband abroad. I need to get the health out of this fucking country. And it's not as easy as you think. So I'm coming to Rekkuvik, I'm coming to Dublin. I'm coming to the UK. I'm coming to Brussels, Paris, Belfast.
Speaker 1: In May and June.
Speaker 2: I'm coming to Oslo, Stockholm, to Copenhagen, Manchester, London, Glasgow, New Zurich, Vienna. I've never ever been to Vienna, Berlin, Barcelona and Lisbon. I'm coming abroad is abroad.
Speaker 1: That sounds like fun. I'm going to go see you abroad.
Speaker 2: I know I want to go see me abroad and there all be They're all.
Speaker 3: Do you want advice from Chelsea? Write into Dear Chelsea Podcast at gmail dot com. Find full video episodes of Dear Chelsea on YouTube by searching at Dear Chelsea Pod. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brad Dickert executive producer Katherine law And be sure to check out our merch at Chelseahandler dot com