Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Let's keep it on the geopolitics. Global leaders gathering at the Munich Security Conference, the US Secretary of State Marco Rubio leading a delegation as the Trump administration pushes Transatlantic ties potentially to their limits. The Republican Senator Tom Tillis is on the ground in Munich and he joined us now for more. Senator, welcome back to the program. Forgive me for doing this life in the moment. But the news just crossed. This is on Ali Baba reporting from Reuters. So the Trump administration is expected to add Ali Baba to a list of firms that allegedly help China's military. This according to reports sur just moments ago. Senator, Clearly the US administration and Congress for that matter, is looking to put a bit of a squeeze on China. Landing in Europe and Munich, Germany. Do you believe that you have the Europeans on side in this effort.
Speaker 2: I think we do.
Speaker 3: But let's go back to Alli Bob and honestly, any business that's homo solid in China, just anybody really believe that there's separation between the CCCP and the state owned enterprises and other supposedly independent businesses.
Speaker 2: I think the President is on.
Speaker 3: The right track to make sure that we're starting to hold China accountable. We need a good relationship with them, but it needs to be one that's founded on trust. And quite honestly, there are moves in China that I don't trust.
Speaker 1: So, Senator, with that in mind, should US base investors be able to have access to investing in these companies.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I've got a real problem with We've had a Banking Committee com meeting yesterday with Adkins before from the SEC, and I've got a real problem with the US getting into a trend of buying into some of our companies. I feel like we should let the free market really drive innovation. And also, back to the segment before I watched your prior segment, we've also got to unleash AI.
Speaker 2: We can't be afraid of it.
Speaker 3: We have to embrace it, we have to leverage it, and we have to be the leader in innovating at it.
Speaker 1: Well, Senator, let's talk about that. Creative destruction is a feature of the US economy and American dynamism is something Leasa was talking about earlier on this morning Senator, I feel like there's an aversion to that these days, and a fear associated with some of the headlines we've all seen over the past week, the prospect of white color jobs being wiped out. How do we prepare for a moment like that and ensure that what globalization did to manufacturing doesn't happen to services with AI?
Speaker 3: Well, we have to be ever watchful, But the bell has been wrong. We could either decide to be the innovation leader and work with our partners in our lives, the nations that we have military alliances worth to make sure that the Western world is still in the front of it. But I'm reminded of books that I read about the Industrial Revolution, and anytime that we've had a major leap in technology, we can't pretend like it didn't happen. Have to figure out how to master it and the best practice and executing it and dealing with all the potential negative consequences and job displacement. I think the jury is still out on what the job displacement's going to be. Does it mean that we've got to put more money in education and retooling expertise around the needs of the AI future? Probably almost certainly, but we should resist it. We should make sure that we get rid of the patchwork of laws that are being implemented at the state level that are impediments to our own indigenous innovation and AI, come up with rules of the road at a federal level, and just unleash the power of the US innovation economy to lead the world to get into right.
Speaker 4: Senator, do you feel like internationally there's the same skepticism you're in Europe, it's known for regulating their experts in it, and it seems like a growing number of people feel like that is hampering some of the progress. I mean, is there the same kind of enthusiasm. What's the mood like around some of the AI story that's causing a lot of a lot of volatility, certainly here in the United States.
Speaker 3: For years, I've been trying to remind everyone of how critical we were of the GDPR data privacy, data breach policies of the EU implement it.
Speaker 2: They made mistakes, they corrected.
Speaker 3: Some of them, but then states started gold plating some of those policies California and other ones that are again impediments.
Speaker 2: To our tech sector.
Speaker 3: What we need are national rule. This is clearly interstate commerce. We need to preempt these laws, make them better if we find the best practice, be.
Speaker 2: Instructed by that at some state level.
Speaker 3: But we need to set that platform right or the maligne users of AI are going to outpace our ability to stay up with them.
Speaker 2: That's why I think it's so important.
Speaker 3: I was the one, the only one actually nine and nine members voted against that. There was an amendment last year to try and preempt the AI laws at the state level come up with a national standard. I think that we need to do that very quickly, and we should road data, privacy data breach it there so that we get it right and maybe we have a gold plate of state or that Europe can be instructed by.
Speaker 4: In the meantime, as people are concerned about this leave of market transition and the pain that could come alongside it, it's one reason why there's been so much focus on the FED to reserve. It's one reason why people are saying it might behoove the FED to cut rates more aggressively in order to ease the pain for a number of individuals that otherwise might be losing their job. I mean, how much are you feeling satisfied in the process that you could get a hearing for the nominee Kevin worsh in the not so distant future. Do you think that that's feasible.
Speaker 3: Well, we could have a hearing all we want, but until the investigation is done, I still believe that the initial inquiry and the investigation was a flex to try and get the current chair to step aside. Chair Pale has a term as chair that expires in May. He also has a term that could extend for two more years. I have no intention allowing any FED Board nominee to move forward out.
Speaker 2: Of committee and to be confirmed until this matter is subtle.
Speaker 3: But this is foundational to FED independence, and I, for one, I'm going to stand on the side of certainty and better independence is what delivers certainty in our markets.
Speaker 1: So Senator is intriguing because we heard from the Treasury Secretary earlier on this morning speaking to the American press, and he said the following that I spoke with Republican senators early this week and I think we have agreement to go ahead with the Wash hearing. Do you have an understanding of where he's getting that impression from.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I've said that if they shouldn't confuse or conflate two issues. The suggestion that we should have an oversight hearing to see how well this building project which the FED has gone, it's fine with me. In fact, I think we should have that kind of oversight for the East Wing construction, the upfit of the Air Force one that's kind of a mini Air Force one because it can't fly out of US boarders.
Speaker 2: All of that is just good governance oversight.
Speaker 3: None of that has anything to do with an investigation that I believe was dead on arrival. We are talking about two minutes of testimony that seven members of the Banking Committee, Republican members, including the Chair, have all said did not constitute a crime. We've got a prosecutor who's not listening to the eyewitnesses and continuing that's not productive.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going to I'm not going to allow it.
Speaker 3: Maybe they can commence the Democrats to vote with them, but as long as I'm the deciding vote. We can have mister Warsh, who I would love to be the next FED chair, but I'm not going to confirm the next FED chair until I can be absolutely certain that these sorts of flexes do not always.
Speaker 2: Have members of the Federal Reserve Board or the chair looking over.
Speaker 3: Their shoulder, wondering when they get the call from some US attorney with a dream.
Speaker 1: The Senator, if you had the call from Treasury or from the White House about this, when was the last time you had the conversation on the issue.
Speaker 3: Well, I've had a conversation with the American people c Span yesterday on the floor, and I don't think I was mincing words.
Speaker 2: I'm not really known for that.
Speaker 3: But if I need to make it very clear this is about an end are a resolution, I'll give the prosecutor the benefit of the doubt. Provide me with evidence beyond the two minutes of testimony and the committing that that seven Republican members said it was not criminal, it was not misleading, and that there was no criminal intent.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's like an indictment looking.
Speaker 3: For a crime, and to me, it just it's at the edge of absurdity that I can't accept. And the only thing I know that I can do is exercise my right as an individual Senator to hold up future.
Speaker 2: Nominations until this investigation is done.
Speaker 3: But to the to the to the assistant US Attorney, bring me evidence beyond the two minutes has been rejected out of hand by members by the majority of Republican members on the committee, or proved to me that there's been an instance where a referral. What's really odd about this?
Speaker 2: And I spoke about this on the Senate for you yesterday.
Speaker 3: This is the first time that I can find where a prosecutor moves forward with an investigation without a referral from the chair.
Speaker 2: Or a member of the committee. Maybe somebody can prove me wrong.
Speaker 3: But if that prosecutor has compelling information, either the way they read that two minutes or something else that no one's.
Speaker 1: Aware of, let me see it, Senator, before you go, time for one final question. You're in Munich. Let's finish where we started. Chancell Emerge just spoke moments ago and said the Transatlantic partnership is no longer self evident. Senator, how received? How well received was your delegation in Munich?
Speaker 3: Well, you know we're going to have I think we're going to have a lively discussion here.
Speaker 2: I had someone ask me about JD.
Speaker 3: Vansa's vice president of Vance's speech last year. I said that I wouldn't have given that speech, but I would not have missed the opportunity to let my family of nations in NATO know that one of the reasons we're here is because of the two trillion dollar deficit over twel years. Jonathan, Can you imagine how much more ready we could be if all the demand signals that would have come from two trillion dollars in weapons and our mutual defense had actually been purchased by the countries of NATO who have failed even meet their minimum requirement.
Speaker 2: So I think there's frustration there that we need to get passed. But I am speaking well. I believe for the majority of Congress who.
Speaker 3: Knows that the NATO Alliance is the most profound and impactful alliance in the history of mankind, and we stand behind it, and we will as we go through this discussion to get things back to Norman.
Speaker 1: Senator, appreciate your time. I know it's loud over there. Enjoy Europe. Thank you very much, sir. Senator Tom tillis there on the Federal Reserve on China and the relationship with the Europeans.