Speaker 1: Pushkin too quick. No, it's perfect push kid stuff. You got it.
Speaker 2: You can take me back to the nineteen nineties, baby, and then.
Speaker 3: The seventies and then the nineties.
Speaker 2: Okay, Robert Smith.
Speaker 3: This is a story about some of the smartest people in the world, incredibly successful in their fields. They decide to come together start a new thing, and they are so successful they make billions of dollars. They win the Nobel Prize as they are making billions of dollars, and then the next year they get destroyed, and in fact, they get destroyed so hard that they almost take the global economy down with them.
Speaker 2: I'm Jacob Goldstein, I'm Robert Smith, and this is Business.
Speaker 3: Sure, the history of business today on the show, the story of long Term capital Management.
Speaker 2: Wooh, you are so amped for this.
Speaker 3: The mid nineties, the Cold War has just ended, free market capitalism is triumphant, and the.
Speaker 2: Economy was fantastic in the nineteen nineties, best economy, my favorite economy. And the people who started Long Term Capital Management looked at the economy not just in the US but around the world, and they said, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is the moment we've been waiting for. We are going to ride this global capitalism wave, and they did.
Speaker 2: What they did not know was that that wave was about to crash. Let's start before the nineteen nineties. Let's let's let's start in the nineteen eighties, the early eighties, Go Go Go all the street with.
Speaker 3: A bond trader named John Merriweather. Meriweather had grown up working class South side of Chicago, worked as a golf caddy as a kid that was like his you know, path up old school, got his MBA at the University of Chicago, and in the mid seventies he went to work at Solomons and Solomon Brothers was about to become the heart of nineteen eighties Masters of the Universe. Wall Street Bonfire the Vanities was based on Solomon Brothers. Michael Lewis and Liar's Poker wrote about Solomon Brothers. It was where he worked right out of college in the eighties. And a key thing to know is at this time the kind of legendary traders at Solomon Brothers were like, very rough, They were street smart. They ate cheeseburgers for breakfast. They traded, you know, based on their cheeseburger filled guts. And Michael Lewis wrote beautifully about these guys in Liar's Poker, most famously about a trader named Louis Raniery. Louis Raniery started out in the mailroom. He was from Brooklyn. He worked his way up and Robert, I want you to read one sentence from Liar's Poker that describes the life of a guy who worked with Ranier and just captures this culture.
Speaker 2: At Solomon Brothers, he traded bonds while being hollered at by six salesman, eating a morning cheeseburger, and watching Ranieri hold a big lighter under the balls of a fellow trader. I wasn't prepared for that.
Speaker 3: This, this is Slivin Brothers. At this time, you don't see the lighter coming. John Merriweather was not this kind of guy. He was working class, but he was calm. He was even tempered. He didn't yell, didn't hold big lighters under his colleagues balls, but he did love to take risks. He was a trader at heart, and he was really good at it. And he got promoted and he started running a desk, which meant he had to hire people to come work with him. Higher traders. And this is when he has his big idea. For the past decade or so. By this point, this is the early eighties, professors at places like MIT and the University of Chicago had been developing these really mathematical theories of finance about prices.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Some of this had filtered into Wall Street, but not much.
Speaker 2: It was an academic endeavor. They had found data sets and they were tracking the stock market, and they knew there was money involved, but they were doing it to pass their dissertations, not necessarily to like blow up the market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and still the culture on Wall Street was this very kind of cheeseburgers for breakfast culture, not an academic culture. But Merriweather's idea was basically, oh, maybe these nerds know what they're talking about, you know, like maybe they could actually come to Wall Street. We could do a bunch of math and make money. And so he decides to test this theory, starts hiring a bunch of you know, guys with PhDs from a MIT and they come work with him at Solomon Brothers.
Speaker 2: He's like, stay away from the guy with a big light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's unsurprising now now, if you have a PhD from MIT, the easiest thing to do is not to be a professor, but to go work at Jane Street or some.
Speaker 2: Quant Yeah, they're actually recruiting at MIT in Stanford and Harvard.
Speaker 3: A banker who worked with Merriweather said, these guys that Merriweather is bringing in, these academics, were considered freaks. Here's a line, those.
Speaker 2: Guys would be playing with their slide rules at Bell Labs if it wasn't for John.
Speaker 3: Slide rules, slide rules. Three things about that quote. Those guys would be playing with their slide rules at Bell Labs if it wasn't for John. One, it comes from Roger Lowenstein's book When Genius Failed, excellent excellent nonfiction book about the rise and fall of long term capital management, the key source for today's show. Two, slide rules were what people used to do complicated math before graphic calculators came along. Scientific calculators I had.
Speaker 2: One, Yeah you would like actually move little little slides? And yeah in a little little clear window.
Speaker 3: I love that. And Three Importantly, this quote was an anachronism even in nineteen eighty three, because if they would not have been playing with slide rules, they would have been playing with computers. The rise of the computer is what empowers these people to do real work.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you a number four too, because we're starting to see the shift in the economy. In this quote, they're not at Bell Labs anymore. They're not working for American manufacturing, an American invention, They're working for American finance. This is when we're seeing this big shift in the economy.
Speaker 3: Yes, financialization, financialization, the rise of Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And in fact, it's no coincidence that Jim Simons, who you did a show about.
Speaker 2: Who is a math PhD, who is a math PhD.
Speaker 3: Is starting his fund Renaissance Technologies right around the same time. So Meriweather brings the nerds to Wall Street and they work with him on what's called the arbitrage desk. Robert Smith, what's arbitrage? Sweet sweet free money?
Speaker 2: Arbitrage is this very specific idea in finance, and it's this very big idea and very simple idea I would say, which is is, if you can buy and sell the same thing at different prices, you can make money with almost no risk. So let's say silver is trading in New York at one hundred dollars and is trading in London at one hundred and one dollars.
Speaker 3: It's a very high price for silver. It's very exciting moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, you could buy the silver in New York for one hundred dollars and simultaneously sell it in London for one hundred and one dollars. You know, you don't have to ship it, and then you make a dollar profit. Yes, no work whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Yes, Now, arbitrage is like this tend to be hard to find because people arbitrage them away. When you buy the cheap one and sell the expensive one, you cause the prices to converge at.
Speaker 2: One hundred dollars and fifty cents.
Speaker 3: So the kinds of arbitrage is that Merriweather and his nerds are finding are a little more subtle, but they are. But they exist in the world. And these guys come in and indeed start making money, a lot of money. In some years, they account for most of Solomon's profits. And that might have been the end of the story. They might have just got rich on Wall Street, but for one thing in nineteen ninety one. So they've been at this for a while. They're doing well. Merriweather gets in trouble because a guy who worked for him rigged Treasury bond auctions and actually told Merriweather about it, and Merriweather told his boss, but they didn't do anything. They said on it. Sorry comes out, they lose their jobs. We talked about this.
Speaker 2: In the Warren Buffett Show because Warren Buffett was a huge investor in Salomon Brothers had to come in and run the company from Omaha.
Speaker 3: Yes, with all of these.
Speaker 2: New York traders, just to fix the reputation.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Merriweather, I think he resigned under pressure. I don't think Ashley got fired, but he's out. He's out. So he decides not long after that he wants to get his band of nerds back together, but not working for somebody else, not at a Wall Street firm. He wants to start a hedge fine. Ooh, wasn't his reputation bat well? I will know he didn't get fired for losing money. Yes, that fired for unethical laps and making a lot of fun making a lot of money. So o contrare ethical laps plus making a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Perfect, And so he decided to start a hedge fund. In nineteen ninety three, hedge funds were not that popular, but there was this idea which was you could have a fund that was not correlated to the market, and this was very useful because you would make money on stocks, but you're worried about losing money, so you put a fraction of your wealth into a hedge fund and they would do sophisticated mathematical things to make sure that if the market were to crash, you wouldn't lose all your money. That was the hedge part. That's the hedge right.
Speaker 3: They make different kinds of bets, so it's not just market goes up, you make money. Market goes down, you lose money. This was the original idea. Hedge funds had been around for decades by this point. By the time Merriweather comes along and the Nine Days, not all hedge funds are even hedged. The main thing they are is special funds for rich people and institutions that charge high fees. And Meriweather decides he's going to launch the biggest hedge fund ever. And in order to launch the biggest hedge fund ever and to charge higher fees than usual, which is also part of his plan, he needs to nerd up. He needs to go even nerdier than before, and he goes and recruits two professors. Two super nerds who are going to make his dreams come true. They are Robert Merton and Myron Scholes. Merton was a Harvard professor who was sort of the father of the finance math nerds in Shoals. Scholes was at Stanford and hiring Shoals was like, I couldn't quite nail this one. It was like hiring doctor band aid for your hospital or I don't know it. Because Schole's name was on this famous equation that was widely used in finance. Shouls and another guy, Fisher Black had come up with Black Shoals, an equation that I know is dear to your heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you know anything about finance, Matthew, you know the Black Shoals formula. And what they did was solve this classic problem in finance, which is how to price an option. So an option is a contract between two people that essentially says I have the right to buy something you own in the future at a certain price at a certain price. So Jacob's, you know, all in on SpaceX and I I'm a little bit wary, So I say to him, I want the right to buy SpaceX at two hundred dollars in six months. Okay, that's a normal contract. But how much should I pay Jacob for that right to buy it in the future, the right, but not the obligation right. And so people had used their guts, they essentially guessed what this was worth. And what Shoals and Black and Merton did was come up with this way to essentially price the future in the present by creating a little insurance portfolio. Theoretically, yeah, the way you predict future risk now is through essentially an insurance contract. So now Meriwether has Merton and Shoals. He also hires a guy who had worked at the FED.
Speaker 3: It's incredible team, and history, in a really profound way is on their side. Like, think about this moment. It's nineteen ninety three. Communism fell, you know, the Soviet Union just fell apart. The Cold War is over, and it's clear right free market capitalism one command and control communism lost. Even Russia at this point is becoming a market economy. And there's this famous, kind of controversial book that has just come out around this time that kind of nails this moment, a book with the title that people love to mock. The title was The End of History was by a professor named Francis Fukuyama, and let me just say he didn't actually mean the end of history the way people who mocket say.
Speaker 2: Things would still happen. Things would still happen.
Speaker 3: His argument was, there has been this long arc of humanity figuring out how to organized people in economies, you know, monarchical feudalism, and we had communist dictatorships, and now in the nineties we have arrived at a winner free market capitalism and liberal democracy.
Speaker 2: And if you think all the other countries in the world are going to become more like the US, more efficient, then you can make bets on that.
Speaker 3: This is the world that Merton and Shoals have been doing their math for the rational so called rational if you like, world where the market becomes more efficient, where prices more and more closely reflect fundamentals.
Speaker 2: This is their moment. The world is breaking their way.
Speaker 3: And so when Merton and Shoals and Meriwether go out to pitch their fund the world wants in. Italy's Central Bank invests, the biggest investment bank in Brazil invests. Money is coming in from Japan, from Taiwan, from Kuwait, from Wall Street. Phil Knight, founder of Nike invests Michael Ovitz. Avitz don't know Ovits Hollywood superagent invests. You know all Meriweather raises over a billion dollars, which was a hedge fund. Ever, and in February of nineteen ninety four they launch Long Term Capital Management becomes a thing. They got an office in Greenwich, Connecticut. Of course, they got like forty people, and they got a bunch of computers and they are ready to start making money. We're going to run an ad now. If you don't want to hear ads, you can join Pushkin Plus at pushkin dot fm, slash plus.
Speaker 4: We'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 3: The ads are over. We're going to talk about one of the first big trades they did at Long Term Capital because it explains the basic way that the firm worked. So the traders at the firm saw this gap, this price gap basically an arbitrage opportunity, and what it was was a gap in the price between newly issued thirty year treasury.
Speaker 2: Bonds fresh it could still smell the inc.
Speaker 3: Us government debt and thirty year treasury bonds that had been issued just a few months earlier. So this is basically the same thing. But there was an unusually large gap between the prices of the two of them for sort of kind of regulatory reasons about the way Wall Street had to work. The key thing is it was clear that this gap should close over time. It was bigger than made sense. So this is perfect for the nerds. It's an irrational gap on really safe assets. They don't have to bet on whether you know the treasury market is going to go up or down. They just have to bet that this irrational price gap is going to close, and it almost certainly will close.
Speaker 2: This is the age of rationality. Of course it's going to close, and they can help it do that.
Speaker 3: The only problem is that the gap between the prices was really small. It was like one and a half percent. So even if the gap closes entirely, and it might not do that, the most they could make is ish one and a half percent too low.
Speaker 2: That's too low.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're not starting this great hedgehunt with a billion dollars for a return like that. So you have an investment that you're very confident in, it's a smaller intern. What do you do.
Speaker 2: You lever up. You borrow money. You borrow massive amounts of money because when you borrow money, you can turn a tiny percentage increase into a large percentage increase. Yes, let's do the math. Okay, give it to me. Okay. So if I have a million dollars and it's going to return one percent, that's ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Boom.
Speaker 2: No, that doesn't even buy me a Masarati.
Speaker 3: I want my Mazarin and buy you a bad car.
Speaker 2: So I take my one million dollars, I go to a bank and say give me nineteen million more dollars. Now I have twenty million dollars, same investment only. Now I make two hundred thousand dollars. I get my Masarati, and that's a twenty percent return. I pay back the nineteen million. Sure, and by borrowing that money, I can make myself rich even on tiny opportunities.
Speaker 3: This is the game.
Speaker 2: Still is the game. Still, this is not a historical thing. This is what happens today.
Speaker 3: So they do this, They borrow something like twenty five dollars for every dollar they have. Yes, and they make a billion dollar bet on this to treasury arbitrage play, and it works, and very quickly they make fifteen million dollars in profit, putting up very little of their own money. It's working. It's important to know that they're not the only ones who see this gap. You know, the quants are emerging by this point, there are lots of nerds following in their footsteps, and so as other traders are getting in on this kind of bet, the spreads are closing, and the traders at Long term Capital have to look farther out into the world and make bets that are a little bit more speculative. One big one they do early on is on Italian bonds.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to give a hard time to the Italian economy, but let's just say they've had a lot of problems, especially at this point, a lot of different governments, and so Italian bonds are a little bit riskier than the other countries of Europe or US bonds. Yes, and this is before the euro right, so even more so. But a trader at Long.
Speaker 3: Term Capital is convinced that the market is overestimating a particular risk. And again this isn't like some wild speculation. He thinks the market is overestimating the risk that Italian companies will default on their bonds relative to the risk that the Italian government will default. Right, So it's still a spread trade, right, a convergence trade.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's interesting that there is this principle in behavioral economics that says that people overestimate the odds that bad things will happen.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So in the stock market, you hear news about all time highs or the stock market crashing. Most days, the stock market is boring. You know, the price at the end of the day is very similar to the price at the beginning of the day. You know, we worry about Italian bonds or Italian company bonds. Oh no, they're going to default, but most of the time they don't. But weirdly, as humans, we think about the bad thing that can happen, and that's the price we put on it.
Speaker 3: So Long Term Capital decides to take the other side of that bet to decide, no, the world is going to continue to just be faught. Yeah, to be boring. They make this bet. Italy in fact did not default, and Long Term Capital made something like six hundred million dollars in two years on that trade. So the firm is doing the thing that they said they would do. They're making these trades that profit, you know, whether or not the market goes up or down, that things will tend to converge over time. They're borrowing a lot of money to do it, and it works so well. It works, in fact, better than they thought it would. In nineteen ninety five, long Term Capital made a fifty nine percent return. They took a bunch of fees out of that, and they returned to their investors forty three percent in one year. Take all my money, Take all my money, acts, Yeah, yeah, please. And one interesting thing about this moment is the people running the firm, Merton and Cholls and the rest of them, they knew that this was extraordinary. This was more than they expected. And I don't just mean that in a kind of hand wavy way. They weren't like, oh, that's more and we expected. It was more than their math told them was likely.
Speaker 2: And at this point there are traders who are not PhDs in the firm, who are, you know, popping the champagne and saying we're geniuses. They're you know, they're like, we're we're going to do this again and again and again. But the math guys in the room are looking at this saying, this is off our calculations, this is better than we thought, which is just as bad as worse than we thought.
Speaker 3: It's not. It's not actually no mathematical perspective. So they they have done all them me And in fact, you know, all firms tell their their investors we might lose money, right, your lawyers make you say we might lose money. But there is this amazing investor letter. It's actually an addendum to the investor letter that the firm sends out. The addendum is written by Merton and Shoals. Lowenstein talks about this in his book. And they don't just say yes, our firm might lose money. They put numbers on how much they might lose. So, for example, they say, yes, there is a twelve percent ants that the fund will lose at least five percent of its money in any given year. This is their worldview that outcomes are mathematically knowable in a probabilistic way. And this is the worldview that is spreading. You know, this is kind of the end of history worldview, the triumph of free market capitalism. And in nineteen ninety seven, this worldview is validated in the most validating way possible when Merton and Shoals win the Nobel Prize.
Speaker 2: Very rare for an investment trader to win the Nobel prize.
Speaker 3: Yes, like they're making billions of dollars for their firm and many millions of dollars for themselves. Like, oh, by the way, you're a genius. The way here you go, and you know the prize is specifically for that work figuring out how to price options. But the committee, there's this phrase from the committee that is important here. The committee, the Nobel Committee says their work facilitated more efficient risk management in society.
Speaker 2: Which is a beneficial thing for the world. You know, there's a lot of risk out there, and if you don't know how to price that risk, that's concerning things can blow up all the time. But if you have formulas that allow us to figure out exactly how much risk something is taking and how to price that risk, everyone can calm down. Part of the calm nineties we're talking.
Speaker 3: About the world is better when when prices more accurately reflect fundamentals. I should mention, by the way, Blackfish or black of Black Shoals would have won as well, but he had died by this point and you can't win the Nobel posthumously. So now long term capital has extraordinary returns, and on top of that, they just won the Nobel Prize.
Speaker 2: The line forms to the right. Just be calm all the way around their building in grengeng Connecticut. People want to give them money, clearly, but they can't take more money at this point. This is a problem.
Speaker 3: It's a classic hedge fund problem, where you know they're not just putting money into the stock market and these giant liquid markets. They're making these weird arbitrage bets on bonds in Italy, and there's only so much money you can put into those bets before it starts to move markets. Or at least this is what they tell their investors in the fall of nineteen ninety seven, around the time that Mertin Inchuls win the Nobel Price. Here Robert read from this letter that merriweather sends to investors around this time.
Speaker 2: The fund has excess capital. This has occurred primarily because of a substantial increase in the capital base from the larger than expected past realized rates of return and high reinvestment rates elected by the funds investors. Oh we're too good, We're too good at our jobs. We just made too much money, is what they're saying.
Speaker 3: They're saying that, and what they decide to do is force the investors to take back their money. And a lot of the investors are like, no, don't give us our money back. Keep it. And of course the partners keep their own money in crucially, but in late nineteen ninety seven, Long Term Capital does in fact payout two point seven billion dollars to its investors. Now, the next thing that happens is amazing. The fund does not trim its bets, does not say, oh, now that we've given this money back, we're gonna, you know, be a little bit more modest. What they do is they borrow more money, They increase their leverage and keep the same bets going.
Speaker 2: It works, so well, why not double down?
Speaker 3: Why not double down? So now a bigger share of the fund is the partner's own money. It's levered up even more so if it works, if they keep making money, the partners will go from really really rich to really really really really rich. By the way, we haven't mentioned the other side of leverage, which is the market goes against you. Instead of losing a little, you lose a lot. What is going to happen after the ad break?
Speaker 2: They're Nobel Prize winning geniuses. They are going to be rich forever. Willsone, and we're back on the roller coaster. The cars have just gone up the hill at the beginning of the roller coaster. It's to the very very top.
Speaker 5: And do you know we're going to talk about now bond spreads. Okay, let's do bond spreads. If you have two different bonds, they may pay different interest rates. If you have a very safe bond, like US government bond, it may pay four percent. If you have a risky.
Speaker 2: Bond, it may pay eighteen percent to compensate for the risk.
Speaker 3: Eight ten percent is crazy, I know.
Speaker 2: So the spread risky bond, the spread is the gap between them, so in this case, fourteen percent eighteen minus four. The key thing to know is the magnitude of the spread is a measure of fear. Really, the wider the spread, the more worried investors are.
Speaker 3: When they're really confident about the economy, the spread will be narrower.
Speaker 2: Because they think everyone's going to pay out their bonds.
Speaker 3: The risk bond isn't that risky.
Speaker 2: But if the economic conditions start to get worse, you start to worry about your higher risk bonds, you demand a higher interest rate, and the gap wid.
Speaker 3: Widens and people flee to the safe bond, which makes that interest rate even lower.
Speaker 2: Yung.
Speaker 3: So it's the beginning of nineteen ninety eight, and in a lot of parts of the world, bond spreads are wider than usual. They're not insanely wide. It's not like financial crisis wide, but they're wide. You know, there are reasons for this. In nineteen ninety seven there was the Asian financial crisis that flowed through Thailand, Indonesia, South Korea. So investors are still worried about this, and this is reflected in wide bond spreads. And the partners at Long Term Capital, and more importantly they're financial models, thought global bond investors were too worried about this. They thought bond prices would converge, spreads would fall, things would go back to historic norms. And if you zoom out to that broader historic arc we were talking about earlier, this makes sense. You know, fall of the Soviet Union, triumph of the free market, progress of rational economic actors. All of this points in the direction of a smoother, less volatile, calmer market and lower bond spreads.
Speaker 2: And the economy in the US is doing tremendously. Well, we have the Internet. Finally, there's all these dot com stocks. It looks like a new age and economy.
Speaker 3: Around the time we balance the budgets running a surplus somewhere around here. Yeah, so long term capital puts on debts all over the world, that volatility will go down, that spreads will converge in Europe and in Latin America. And they're also putting on bets in Russia in the new capitalist frontier, and the Russian economy was kind of a mess by this point. People were starting to worry that Russia might default on its debts. But there was this thing people said at the time, which was, no nuclear power has ever defaulted, meaning no, you know, big serious country has ever defaulted. Just kind of a nuclear power is kind of weird, but it was a thing people said. And you know, the International Monetary Fund, the IMF had been really active in countries around the world helping them stave off defaults. And so the traders at long term capital look at Russia and they think, no, these fears are you know, one more example of irrational fears. They figure Russia is going to pay its debts, spreads will converge, and also they do hedge some of their bets for additional safety.
Speaker 2: I do love, though, that they're kind of optimists. I know it's the data and it's backed by the computers, but what they are saying is that the world is going to be a calmer, better place. It's kind of a beautiful thought. I wouldn't borrow a bunch of money and put billions of dollars on it.
Speaker 3: But yes, yes, I mean in a certain way, not exactly, but kind of like you and I both just do the boring retirement thing of just buy index funds mostly of stocks, and that's a version of that. Right, We're just going to ride a growing economy because that's what has happened, but we don't borrow a bunch of money to do it.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 3: So Long Term Capital is betting that around the world spreads are going to converge. This is not what happens. In the spring and early summer of nineteen ninety eight, spreads start to get a little bit wider, and in June of nineteen ninety eight, long Term Capital loses ten percent, biggest ever one month loss. Not disastrous, but big. In July, their return stabilize and then comes August, and on August seventeenth, the thing happened that was not supposed to happen. Russia defaulted. Russia said we are not going to pay some of our debts. And also the Russian banks where Long Term Capital had put their hedges, like we're not going to pay those foreign investors going to pay out on those on those contracts.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought, you can't trust the Russians.
Speaker 3: Kind of surprisingly, it actually takes a few days for it to hit global markets. Robert Smith, I have I've pasted here a paragraph from a nineteen ninety eight Wall Street Journal story for you to read.
Speaker 2: It was August twenty first, a sultry Friday, and nearly half the partners at Long Term Capital Management LP were out of the office. Outside the funds glass and granite headquarters, a fountain languidly streamed over a copper osprey clawing its prey.
Speaker 3: I said this to you. I said this to you, and I have like a running thing about newspaper stories with like gratuitous descriptions of place number one.
Speaker 2: It means that the reporter did not get inside the building. So the reporters describing whatever they can. But number two. It means settle in for a long story of hubris. Yes.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you are a financial firm and the Wall Street Journal is describing the fountain outside your office, you are in terrible trouble. Something very wrong has happened. In this case, what has happened on this sultry August day is that investors all around the world, all around the world are terrified by what has happened in Russia, and they are reacting by selling risky bonds and buying safe bonds.
Speaker 2: But not just in Russia. They're afraid of risky bonds around the world, any country that could conceivably be related to Russia in some way. They're like, we got to get out of there. We got to get out of there.
Speaker 3: And you will recall, yes, that when this happens, it makes bond spreads get wider. And this is the opposite of the bet that long term capital has made all around the world, and they're widening in a more correlated way than long term capitals models would have predicted, right like, sure, okay, maybe they'll widen in Russia, but they hadn't guessed that they would widen everywhere all at the same time.
Speaker 2: In this way, which is why they spread their bets around the world, because you're thinking, Okay, one country, this could go wrong, two countries it could go wrong, but other countries halfway around the world would not react the same way.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't be rational. And so because the world is reacting in this way, because these things are happening, long term capital is getting destroyed. Their models had predicted that the most they could lose in a single day was thirty five million dollars. On that sultry Friday, they lost more than five hundred million dollars. Time to reboot the computer. Something's wrong here, unplugging, unplugged it turn off, turn thosees back on. So it's late August in Connecticut, so of course all the rich guys, the partners are off on vacation, and the traders at the office are picking up the phones and calling them because that's what you had to do in the nineties.
Speaker 2: And their giant cell phones.
Speaker 3: Yes, they get Merryweather at a dinner in Beijing. Some other guy was in Sun Valley, Idaho, another one was in Italy. They they were on top by Sunday morning. Two days later, they are all back in the office in Connecticut. Trying to figure out what to do, and they think, Okay, this is going to fix itself. Like there's no fundamental reason why spreads are doing what they're doing. It's not like there's a war and economies have been blown up and destroyed. Things are going to go back to normal, and when that happens, we'll make more money. So all we need is some cash, some capital to ride this out, because remember, when you've borrowed a lot of money against a little capital, people are going to start asking for the money back. You're going to need some money essentially in the bank to ride out the storm.
Speaker 2: But if you have a pile of money that you can pay that back, that's fine. You can keep going and keep going and eventually make untold billions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can make your money back in more. This is their plan. And around this time Merriweather calls this old Wall Street friend of his for advice, maybe some contacts for raising money. The guy's name is Vinnie Matone. Vinni is the old school stuff trader, you know, that cheeseburger for breakfast kind of guy. And Lowenstein in When Genius Sailed has a beautiful description of this scene of a Vinnie coming to talk to Merriweather.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is going to be good. Vinnie wore a gold chain and a pinky ring, and he showed up at Long Term in a black silk shirt, open at the chest. Where are you? Matone asked bluntly. We're down by half. Merriweather said, you're finished. Matone replied for the first time. Merriweather sounded worried. What are you talking about. We still have two billion dollars we have half, Matone smiled sadly. When you're down by half, people figure you can go down all the way. They're going to push the market against you. You're finished.
Speaker 3: I like to think of Vinnie Matone as this street smart Yoda telling Merriwether that the force is not with him.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful because long term capital management was depending on computers and logic and this optimistic view of the world, and Vinnie, the street smart guy is like, what you didn't factor in is the fact that this is a competitive game, and much like the osprey in the fountain outside of your office, other investment firms are going to grab you out of the water and consume you. And so it's just such a beautiful moment that Vinnie knows the way the world really works outside computers.
Speaker 3: Meriweather isn't ready to give up, though. On September second, he sends this letter to Long Term Capital's investors, tells them that the fund was down forty four percent in August one month month. That's a very bad month. But he says, you know, spreads are going to close again. Our strategies are sound. This is, in fact a good time to invest. And he makes this move in this letter that at a certain level I am just in awe of I can't believe he did it. It's fantastic. So Robert here read this paragraph from the letter.
Speaker 2: Since it is prudent to raise additional capital, the fund is offering you the opportunity to invest in the fund on special terms. If you have an interest in investing, please contact Richard Leahy at Long Term Capital Management two O three five five to two five five one one for further information.
Speaker 3: Call now. Operators are standing by.
Speaker 2: It's my phone. Where's my phone?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 2: Have you called this phone? Put it on speaker? Okay, well one two oh three one.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm trying to reach I want to invest. What are you going to say?
Speaker 2: If they answer no, The number you dialed is not in service.
Speaker 3: Spoiler alert, Robert, the investors did not call now, and in fact, the letter leaked to the press before even all the investors had got the letter. Some of them found out about it by reading about it in the news, and now in case they hadn't before, everybody knew that Long Term Capital Management was screwed. Knew, like Vinnie said, they were going to be screwed. They called it the LTCM death trade, where everybody is getting out ahead, right, because think about it, these are thinly traded markets. Long term capital has huge positions. You know they're going to have to sell. So even just to protect yourself, like if you own anything that they own, you want to sell before they sell, because they're going to drive the price down. So everybody is selling the stuff that they own, so the prices are falling, right. So this, in addition to the market behavior, is compounding Long Term Capital's troubles. On a single day September twenty first, they lose again more than five hundred million, like that bad day in August, five hundred and fifty three million dollars more, and they're still have all this leverage. In fact, in a way your leverage ratio goes up the more you lose. Right, Because they still owe all this money, their capital base is shrinking, and now the lenders are afraid that long term capital is not going to be able to pay them back. So they start saying, no, you have to give us our money back, or we're not going to roll over these short term loans that we've been rolling over.
Speaker 2: And if you're not rolling over the loans, you have to sell even more. And the more you sell, the more loans you have to pay off. And so that's the death spiral. That's the death spiral.
Speaker 3: And then there's if we widen the circle, there is now a bigger concern because long term capital is so big and so intertwined with all these other Wall Street firms, there is a bigger fear, which is, if they blow up and can't pay back their debts, then all of these other banks that they owe money to might not be able to pay their debts, and then we'll have a financial crisis. We'll have all of these firms linked to each other going down and potentially hurting the whole economy, bringing down the whole economy.
Speaker 2: And this is super important because this is how crises happen. Nobody really cares about Nobel Prize winners losing all their money. No, they should be able to like that's we want firms to fail. And even the bank that lent the money, they took a risk and they might lose money on the deal. But the situation is you don't know the full list of everyone who lent money to long term capital. And so when you're out in Wall Street and you want to make a deal, you have to ask yourself constantly, Wait a minute, is the person about to make a deal with Are they exposed to this? Are they exposed to someone who's exposed to this? It can slow down all investment at once because you just don't know where the risk is. This is the problem.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is why in the eighteen hundreds there were panics every few years because this would happen again and again, and in fact, to stop it from happening, or at least reduce the risk of it happening, America created a central bank, the Federal Reserve. And as long term capital is about to blow up in September, the Federal Reserve does its job. They say, oh wait, we better make sure this doesn't cause a financial crisis. You know, there is a branch of the FED in New York that deals with Wall Street. A guy we used to work with said, the New York Fed is actually more baller than the main FED headquarters in Washington, the Board of Governors.
Speaker 2: And they have a special conference room there just for moments of crisis. And they invite everyone into this conference room.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's Wednesday, September twenty third when they use the special crisis conference room, which is not a special crisis conference room, and they call all the heads of the big Wall Street banks to a meeting. And the FED says to all these bankers, look, you're all doing business with long term capital. You're all screwed if they go under. Figure something out. We have a FED. We're not going to put money in. We're not going to bail you out. You're all in this together. Work together to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Oh kumbaya, Just run together. Now.
Speaker 3: A bunch of Wall Street bankers love to hold hands and help each other out.
Speaker 2: Hyper competitive, they want to stab each other in the back. This is their normal day. And now the FED, and this does happen occasionally. The FED is saying, hey, for the good of everyone, can we set aside our immense greed and hatred of each other on this day and just.
Speaker 3: Be a little more long term greedy, right, Like it is in your greedy interest for this not to blow up. And so the bankers sit in this room and over the next several hours they actually come up with a plan. They're going to put in three point sixty five billion dollars into the fund of their own money, of the bank's money, and the partners at long Term Capital, their equity will be wiped out, right, they won't get any of this money, and they won't own any of the fund anymore. And Meriweather, you got to love him, negotiates is like, because part of it is they need Merriweather and his traders to stay on. There's like literally thousands of trades they have put on and they're not worthless importantly, right, they need somebody to run this fund, not to just liquidate it at firesale prices. And so Meriwether's like, well, if you want us to stay on, you're gonna have to pay us. You're gon have to give us a bonus. And so in fact, Meriweather and a bunch of other people agree to stay on at long term capital get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for their labor, and in fact, over the next year, the thing happens that they said would happen. Spreads do converge, they actually turn a profit. The banks got all the money back that they put into the fund in that emergency moment, and in early two thousand, long term capital management ceased to exist.
Speaker 2: I love this story because this is a classic issue in finance, which is, if you could go back and replay history one hundred times, long term capital management would be great. Ninety nine of those times, like they knew what was going to happen, they made the correct bet on that maybe borrowed too much money on this, but they weren't wrong. Their timing was off, their liquidity was off, they didn't have the money to deal with the kind of debt and leverage that they had. But it's interesting that you can be right and still almost destroy the world economy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they weren't wrong in terms of this sort of mathematical risk. But for me, there's this idea that is really useful here, which is the distinction between risk and uncertainty. And you know, colloquially we use those words largely interchangeably. But there was this economist in the twenties named Frank Knight who wrote this book called Risk, Uncertainty, and Profit, and his argument was, you know, we use risk in really different ways at different times. We use one word to mean quite different things. In particular, we use risk when we can really really measure the probability of what's going to happen, and also when we cannot. Here's an example. You're betting on a coin toss. You bet on heads. You know that there's a fifty percent risk that you're going to lose. Now say that coin happens to be a Russian ruble and it's nice ninety eight. What's the risk that Russia is gonna devalue the ruble which would make the ruble worth a lot less if you win. I mean, you can go back and look at history in terms of nuclear power, countries and default, and what is that ten twelve? You can talk for experts, you can study history, you can do a lot and you can come up with some probabilistic estimate of a Russian devaluation. Maybe it's ten percent, maybe it's fifty percent. You can put a number on it. But Crucially, that number is not the same kind of number as the risk that it'll come up tails if you bet heads. It is fundamentally different. You're fooling yourself when you put a number on it. You don't actually know the way you know the fifty percent with the coin flip. This unknowable outcome is what Frank Knight calls uncertainty. So risk is the coin flip. Uncertainty is will Russia devalue? And I think you can argue that the big mistake that long term term capital made was they confused risk and uncertainty. They thought the world was measurable, that risk could be modeled with math, and a lot of the world is measurable. To your point, math is really powerful at predicting market outcomes. But there is still some amount of unquantifiable uncertainty. And if you're highly leveraged, if you borrowed a lot of money and mail a lot of bets sooner or later, that unquantifiable uncertainty will destroy you.
Speaker 2: And that is what happened to long term capital management. Jacob, We love it when our listeners write in. We got a note from someone who talked about their seven year old who missed her dance class almost mister dance guest because she was listening to the Ice episode and the daughter asked for a show about Crayola.
Speaker 3: But Kranz please email us whatever age if you are at Business History at pushkin dot Fm, or you can find me on x at Jacob Goldstein or on LinkedIn. Robert. You're on Twitter at Radiosmith shout Out Radio. Our show today was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang, engineered by Sarah Bruguier. Our video editor, yes we're on YouTube, is Matt Nielsen, and our showrunner and editor is Ryan Dilly. One quick note, we're going to be off taking a little summer break for the next couple of weeks, but we're still making shows. We'll be back later in July. I'm Jacob Goldstein, I'm Robert Smith.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.