Speaker 1: The volume. Have you been hungry for some college football?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait. And if you love college football as much as I do, jump in on the Draftking sports Book. Go to the app. Take you ninety seconds, maybe two minutes download. It's a small slate of games, but it's week zero. We got the one over in Dublin. And go to the Draftking app. If you're a first timer, let's make it easy. Just pick a team to win. Select a team, place your first bet. This is going to be a gigantic season because of conference realignment. There's so much mystery and so much fun, and so many big games. Oregon, Ohio, State, Texas, Georgia. That's now a part of our life. If you've always loved college football, add a layer to it. Go to the Draftking sports Book app. Put in the name Colin. Either way, when you download the app, put in the name Colin. That's two one hundred dollars in bonus bets. If you put in the code Colum, you get two hundred dollars in bonus bets from Draftking betting just five bucks. That's a nice head start. It's like you're one without winning. Pick a team. It's simple, download it code colin two hundred bucks off five only on DraftKings. The crown is yours. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in a resorting Kansas twenty one and over plus. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co. Slash ft ball. Dane Parkins is my guest today. He is leaving six seventy the Score in Chicago. It's a pretty iconic sports talk radio station, and he is moving on to television to be announced. So I think this is tougher for you, and it will be eventually for me than ever moving off podcasting or television. So I grew up child of divorce. Radio was my friend. My sister was five six years older, so she was out of high school by the time I was in it. So I grew up rurly on the beach. You had separation between neighbors. I didn't live in a cul de sac. I didn't have a car yet. So radio is my friend. Radio is what I dreamed of. Radio has been my entire life. I do a simulcast now, which my radio show is not as good because of that. It's good enough to rate and drive revenue. But if there are days that I listen to local radio when I'm around the country in Boston or Chicago or LA and I miss it. And there are days I think I wish I could tell a fifteen minute story today on radio, because I've got a really good one and I can't. The remote changes it. So your radio is really what I grew up with, and now it's just called audio. It's still vibrant. By the way, there's a lot of money in audio. Sean Hannity is doing just fine on a eight hundred stations, so you're leaving six seventy to score, and I think the view will be you're going to a television job, but you don't have that radio mic. And it is the coolest thing in the world. When you have a great show, it is so raw and so personal, and so it's a canvas. It's got few limitations. Is it hard for you leaving a dream job even though it's considered a career upgrade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is you. Uh, you nailed it. I left Chicago once to go pursue a radio career with the expressed goal of getting back to Chicago. All I ever wanted to do was host afternoon Drive in Chicago. Since I was sixteen years old. I would drive to school in the morning and listen to Howard Stern and I would drive home from school and listen to mac Yirkow and Harry and Boors and Bernstein, two awesome local Chicago radio shows. And then I would be a delivery driver and I would listen to those shows. And I love radio, love it, love it, love it, love it. I'm a careerist, I'm ambitious. I have a four year old and a two year old. Radio's market share locally and across the country is going down. Podcasts, on demand, internet and cars, all of those things. And while that is probably happening on some level also with TV, this is an opportunity that I didn't play in the NFL. I didn't make Major League Baseball starting pitcher money like this is an opportunity for me to grow my profile, grow my brand, and grow your brand. Sounds ridiculous, but you know what I mean, and change the life of my two sons, hopefully if it works. And so am I going to miss it? Yes, no doubt about it. But I'm excited to learn something new. I'm excited to feel like I'm getting better at something. Yeah, I don't think I really had that anymore in radio. I wasn't bored with the show. I loved the show. I mean, I loved the Parkinsons Eagles Show and Shane Reared and Chris Hannahill our producers. I love doing it every single day. But I'm excited to try to get better at something. And you know, you know how it is. I mean, you host a TV show that simulcast on radio and you have a podcast, like I'm not closing the door on radio forever or Chicago forever, or who knows what digital project I'll be able to create in the future. You know, I don't. I don't know. I'm thirty seven years old. I've got a long runway of a career. Left, and I think that there was, or I know there was a little bit of a feeling. If I'm just being totally personal. I don't know how many people care about this, but like that I had come close to a ceiling in both relevance and revenue in local radio. And that's a four hour a day show, five days a week. There's not much time left for other stuff. And then yea, then sometimes some things you're not allowed to do because of competitors and companies and that sort of thing. And so I felt like I owed it to myself and my kids when this opportunity came around to take a swing at it and try it. And there will be things that I absolutely wish that I was able to do on the TV show that I could have done on the radio show, There's no doubt about that. But hey, I'm not going to have to watch a baseball game, not Tuesday night either anymore. There will be trade offs. So yeah, leaving radio is very very difficult. It was bittersweet, especially because it required me to leave Chicago. But I'm pumped about this, man, I really am.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting right now. Currently in New York, the Mets are toast the Yankees bullpen will probably keep them away from a World Series crown, though they're certainly viable. Jets Giants are pathetic. I still don't buy into the TETs this year. Brooklyn Nets always a bit of a tire fire. And in Los Angeles the teams are doing really well. I mean, USC one twelve and eight, and people are critical of it. It's like they've won ten games average last two years, like that's our loser. So Chicago's sports are interesting because and I think I told you this considering the vast sports history. Not only is Caleb Williams sort of potentially the first great quarterback, it's a fairly starless town for Chicago. There was a time when Michael Jordan, Scotty Pipa Siskel and Ebert Oprah like it was everybody like it was just it felt as big as New York. And you've got a hockey player or two. That's interesting. But I was thinking the other day Caleb Williams just isn't a bear. He's going to be. He's filling a huge void in a sports crazy city. And you know you've been you know Chicago as well as anybody that I bring on the show Talk a little bit about this city. Who's that's kind of missing, like a it's it has some founding fathers, you know, like Mike Ditka, but it doesn't really have its next it performer. Now hockey is different, right, it doesn't. It doesn't. It may work in a city, but it's very local. Let's talk about Chicago sports. What's missing and what's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're on it. Connor Bedard is the hockey player that you're referring to, and he is a fena. He's he might be the best player in the league in a year or two. He is excellent, fairly anonymous guy outside of Chicago could easily walk down Madison Avenue without being recognized. Angel Reese is now a pretty big star in terms of like Q rating plays for the Chicago Sky But obviously that's a thing on the com that's new. You know, would not when you're talking about a city of Walter Payton and Mike Ditka and Michael Jordan, Angel Reese and Connor Bandard have a lot ways to go. The twenty sixteen Cubs was a team, Like they're talking about what the statue will be for that thing? You could make it. Chris Bryant, but that would be leaving out John Lester and Anthony Rizzo and Joe Madden and ben Ziebers like that'll probably be a collective. It was about one hundred and eight years and the curse and so singular star power in Chicago historically has really been Bears or Bulls. You know, Ernie Banks had it for sure, long time ago, Frank Ryan Sandberg, Ryan Sandberg for sure, as mentioned Frank Thomas. But in recent vintage you look to football and basketball and it's been a while. I mean, we've talked about this before on the pod only organization with no four thousand yard passer only organization with no thirty touchdown quarterback, and the Bears are the one thing that everyone in Chicago agrees upon. Baseball split Cubs and Socks, more Cubs than Socks, but still split. Winter pro sport shorts, Bulls and Blackhawks. Yeah, you can be a fan of both, but eighty two hockey games eighty two NBA games, you're a bigger fan of one or the other. Inevitably you care much more about one or the other. It's split for your winter pro sports attention. Everyone's a Bears fan. Everyone cares about the Bears and the history of the city is but Gus and Singletary and Irlacker and Sayers and Peyton and Johnny Morris, who played in the fifties is the all time leading receiver in Bears franchise his five thousand and fifty career receiving yards. So it's just remarkable and so like offensive passing football, we've never seen it before. You know, a year of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey, a year of Eric Kramer, a year of Jay Cutler, but nothing sustained. So what Caleb Williams Not only does he have the ability to play like Rogers or Mahomes hopefully and be like a modern quarterback, which this city has never really seen before, but he also so as a celebrity. On Draft Night, he was talking about advice that he got from Denzel Washington, whose number is in his phone. He played in Hollywood. He's cool. He has a huge Instagram following. He was rich upon arrival, Like there's just this town is so starved. Yeah, for the star power, but also just for excellence. On the one thing that everybody can agree on in the city that if Caleb Williams is what he is supposed to be. He will own that town, own it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You and I live in cities, and this is interesting. LA and Chicago, where people that don't live there have incredibly strong opinions that are anti that city.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, off, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, there's there's things I like. I love Vancouver, BC. For what I like it for. It's it's proximity to the waterfront and the kindness of its people. I like its international flavor. I love London the history of it, parks everywhere, great hotels, incredible pubs, lounges, best bar city in the country. I like Los Angeles because I love the weather. It's just a vast city, thirty one music venues, I mean, just everything you want. I'm literally I can feel that I just took a nap with my door open, and that I can, you know, feel the water and hear the water. It's like okay. And then there's Chicago, which I love for a lot of reasons. I think it's a vibrant downtown. I think the architecture, the river running through the city. Love the people, love the people. It's also a great guy town, sports music, steaks, beautiful beautiful people. It's a guy's tad. It's my favorite guys town. Like nothing against you know, everybody, But it's like, if you had to say one city in the country, five guys, let's party, Chicago's really good. I mean you basically have a beach on the city. You poke a park, a boat, thirty yards stare at the city. I've done that four or five times. But it's interesting. We live in a time with social media that these cities are highly criticized, tend to lead left with their politics. That's the reason for it. What is it like to live in Chicago when you hear about the outrageous crime and the danger of the city, Like, what is your experience living there?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you might remember the last radiothon that I did three and a half years ago. You promoted it on the show. I named it the what about Chicago radiothon because it was a play on words, because when people talk about like gun control, they'll say, well, what about Chicago. They've got strict gun laws, but they still have bad gun violence. And it's just such a bad faith argument because if you look up the stats on the crime, a huge percentage of the guns that are involved in illegal crime come from Indiana, which is right, which is an eight minute drive away. You pay a six dollars toll and you can go get whatever you need and then you drive it back in and they don't search your trunk. And that's part of the issue. Right, So we're not surrounded by states that have the same laws as US and so, and these people that make that argument know it, but they don't care. So does Chicago have its problems, of course, does it have poverty, of course. Does it have a gun violence problem, no doubt about it. But it has so many incredible people that are doing everything in their power to solve those problems and to work on it that I just hate when people who aren't from here describe it as a war zone because they read a clip of the they see a clip on the news, and they've never been there. And it's like, stop, you don't care about solving the problem. You're just crapping on people who are actually working to solve it. And so either it keeps Chicago out of your mouth, get involved and solving the problem if you really care about it, or come here and see that. You can go to Oak Street Beach or North Avenue Beach or Michigan Avenue or the West Loop or the United Center or Salt Shed this new amazing venue right in the heart of the city, or you know what I mean, like any number of world class restaurants and neighborhoods and crazy diverse culture from like Pilsen to Hyde Park to Liquor Park, like you know what I mean. It's it's unbelievable. It's a city of neighborhoods. And so I love Chicago, I love the people. I get defensive when people make those bad faith arguments about it. You know, would you want to be in the wrong part of town by yourself at one in the morning, No, probably not. But could you go to the ten PM show at the Chicago Theater and get out at eleven thirty or midnight and be perfect safe, you know, on State Street in downtown Chicago, of course, and then you could ride the Red Line to wherever you were going and be fine. And you know. So it's just so much of it is blown out of proportion and based on stereotypes and used for political purposes that it's just it's honestly upsetting, because I do think it does real damage to people. I remember I was in Israel. This was years ago. I was in Israel and I said that I was from Chicago, and someone asked me if it was safe, and I was like, really, Israel, You've been literally at war with every country that borders you in your sixty eight years of existence or whatever it was at the time, and you're asking me about the safety of Chicago. So, like, the reputation really does matter, and it really does travel internationally. But listen, I mean, the weather sucks in the winter. The taxes are high. We've had some corrupt politicians in our day, so our money isn't spent perfectly. But to me, it's the greatest city in the world.
Speaker 1: So I you know, it was really funny that Tua, who I think, by all accounts is a really nice guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Religious, I'm agnostic, but very religious. I think he's a very decent person. He's bright, he's a hard worker. I you know, I don't like his injury history, his size. I think he's very limited in January in cold weather, which is why Tyreek killed Make it work early because it may not work late. But he came out and he really took shots and called Brian Flores his first coach, terrible person. And it got me thinking about Andy Reid and Bill Belichick, and that all of Belichick's guys except maybe Eric Mangini, are harsh and not liked and rough. I mean Josh McDaniel, Charlie Wise, and I can like him. You know, he loved Greg Sheiano, Brian Flores, Joe Judge, Matt Patricia, I mean Matt Patricia pissed off Matt Stafford the day he got into town. And all of Andy Reid's guys, even the ones that have quote unquote failed, Matt Naggi. Matt Naggie used to reach out to me and say thank you for kind words because his son would listen to me driving to school and he appreciated that his dad got support from one guy in the country.
Speaker 2: But Andy Reid's guys, he's a sweetheart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Doug Peterson. And so it really got me thinking. First of all, I think if somebody craps on you, especially when you're young. It's one thing if somebody calls me out on my shit, and I'm now older, but when you're developing and you're young and somebody buries you, I kind of liked it. From Tua. And I'm not a tit for tat person, but I thought, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Kind of like that.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of a fan of that. Where where do you I said this yesterday, Andy Reid wins three straight. We're gonna have a real discussion about Belichick and Andy Reid, Like a real discussion Belichick one with one quarterback and he wins with everybody. But what did you make little And I'm rambling here, but what did you make of Tua's response? I kind of like that he just called out one of Belichick's guys and said it's a terrible person because I think I think it will I think it will affect him. This is not a good day for Brian Flores.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a good day for Flores. I thought it was a really compelling moment that he shared with Levitard, and it was I think part of it was like he's a made guy, right, he got paid. Yeah, I think there's I think that was some aspect of oh, sure, this organization paid me, so they committed to me, not to that guy. So now I can tell some truths and that doesn't belittle the truth. I just don't know that he says it eighteen months ago. I think that there's something too. You have that security, you can tell some truths there. But of course it matters. You want you want your kids to believe in themselves. That you don't want them to be delusional, but you you want your kids to believe in yourselves. The power of positivity affirmations is a big thing nowadays. Yeah, you know so, I think that there is absolutely something to it. I don't know that it overcomes arm strength and if Ireek Hill, you know, holds a hamstring in December, I don't know that it overcomes that. But Tua is good. Is how I look at Tua? Of he's good, Yeah, he's like of course they were going to pay him. Their offense has proven that it can be elite. When I hear people talk about, well they had too many pass rushers get hurt, or they didn't invest enough in their interior of their offensive line, or cold weather like it, I think that speaks to kind of the issue with Tua is that there is some there are some limitations, there's some concerns. I think if he didn't have Tyreek Hill and Jalen Wattle and one of the five best offensive play callers in the league, we'd have more questions about Tua, but man, I will very rarely, if ever, criticize guys for honesty. It's honest. I don't know if it's a hundred percent truthful. I'm sure Brian Flores has a different version of events, but like that is too. That was clearly to his truth and he told it to us, and I think that was incredibly compelling stuff. As for your Andy Reid caveat, you know, I worked in Kansas City before Chicago, so I covered those teams when he got there, and I I thought I had an appreciation for what he was in Philly, and because he was out of the curb, Like if you remember when he got run out of Philly, people were like, he likes to pass the ball more than he likes to run the ball. Yes, now that's the entire league Like he was, he was ahead of the curve. And the list is incredible. Donovan McNabb, Kevin Cobb, Jeff Garcia, Mike Vick, Alex Smith and then of course Mahomes. All of those guys best years of their career with Andy Reid, everyone, every single one, and like I don't know, Mike Vick and Alex Smith are pretty different, you know, like Donovan McNabb and Kevin Cobb are not exactly the same quarterback. So that speaks to a level of offensive geniusness that I will be surprised if when Andy Reid hangs it up people actually call him the goat, like if that is ever a majority opinion, because we are such a rings culture, and he obviously won't be at Belichick. But in terms of hey man, Bill Belichick, he doesn't have a winning record without Brady. Andy Reid's got a winning record with a lot of different guys. He's hit the over on his win total every year he's been in Kansas City. He is undefeated to the over since he's been chief. That is insane. So like he's just he's the best coach in the NFL. I don't think it's particularly close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I do think there. I've always had a theory that Andy why his assistants do better. So Andy is a teacher. Belichick's not. Belichick's more authoritarian. Belichick's really smart. Moms spoke several languages. Dad was a pioneer in scouting. But proximity to genius does an equal genius right. You can have the smartest friend in the world, it doesn't make you smarter. You know, you may be curious and ask questions, but it doesn't raise your IQ. Teachers succeed. If you look at Bill Walsh, Mike Hongren, Andy Reid, many of the great offensive coaches intellectually shared wisdom. A lot of the defensive coaches coaching trees. They were culture builders, they were authoritative. They're not teaching, and I don't think Belichick is. I think Belichick was attracted to people, a lot of them Northeast guys that could handle him. He liked a gruffness because he knew what he was and what he wasn't and so he built a wall around him of really tough coaches. Whereas Andy builds, he builds a class, and he's the mentor of the class and he's constantly teaching. That's kind of my theory on the two. And both work, by the way, clearly, But I if I've always been impressed. It's one thing to be successful at something, but there is there is value in like, oh, this radio host worked in this city and that city and at the network and that TV show. Other than just being he dominated in Iowa. Nothing against Iowa. So like for you, you've crushed in radio, Now you want to try, you know, cable television. So I feel like read the depth of his success. If he wins three in a row, I have no problem saying that's the best football coach I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, and I hope that more people do you know you you helped me promote the book that I co authored, Pipeline to the Pros. And that's not to get a big plug in there, but like I talk, it's about coaching and management pipeline in the NBA from the D three level to the NBA level, And the recur the recurring theme of the book, or one of them, was teaching. Coaching is teaching, period. It is the coaching is teaching. And a reason why so many of those guys from that background work so well is because they were literally teachers, whether they were history teachers or whatever, because they like they needed to do it to have the privilege of coaching the basketball team. And so hey, does the does Patrick Ewing buy in to what Jeff Van Gundy is saying? When Jeff Van Gundy looks like a pit squep next to him, Yeah, he buys in it if Jeff Van Gundy can teach him something, if he can make him better. And you know, I was in those locker rooms with the chiefs in like the early part of this rise, and so you know they Romeo Crenell was there before, Todd Haley, was there before Scott Pioli who was on the Belichick New England. I mean, there was a front page article in the Kansas City Star. The headline was arrowhead anxiety. People thought that they were bugging the rooms, like you know what I mean. It was. It was a culture of like fear and dictatorship, what you're talking about. And Andy Reid came in and they marveled at it. They was it was night and day, black and white. They could not believe the culture shift that one coach was able to do for an organization. You know, he hired John Dorsey and then he has a say in hiring Brett Viach Like he's the top dog in that organization. He doesn't want the personnel say like he had in Philly for a minute, it burnt him out. But everything runs through the Andy Reid ethos. And yes, he empowers his coaches a ton so much so that I think he like kind of lies on their behalf to get them jobs. Like he'll be like, oh yeah, Matt Naggie, he was calling those plays. No, he wasn't, well you know what I mean, Like Andy Reid never stopped calling plays, but he will do it to get to get his guys promoted. And then as soon as Matt Naggie failed in Chicago, he brought him right back to Kansas City, and Mahomes swears by him, by the way, swears by Matt.
Speaker 1: Neg So I threw this out today on my radio show. I said baseball's making a lot of changes now, not because they want to, but because they have to. I mean, now we've seen runner on second base and extra innings, they're discussing six innings for starting pitchers, the pitch clock, the DH, the universal DH.
Speaker 2: Balls and strikes. What they're doing in the minors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, why because ESPN's not interested. They've bet on hockey, not baseball. We have bet on college football, NFL, World Cup, and Lachlan Murdoch, I think I can say this doesn't appear to be as big a baseball fan as an NFL fan and a World Cup fan. He's a global traveler, a global citizen. And the Apple deal for baseball was a zero. The Roku deals embarrassing, and baseball has to make changes. And I said this, I've been into baseball this season because they go Twani's amazing. The Yankees are good. I like Bryce Arper. We have like three faces of the league. I think Mookie Bets could be better than all of them. But we have like some really domestic stars. And I said, but here's what's funny. Even in a year of the Olympics, the Euros COPA WNBA is smashing records. Those all go away next year and the election. So Fox News, MSNBC and C and NS ratings are up. NBC's raiding, Olympics up, Fox COPA, Euros up. They all disappear next year. And I said, if I was a network president, you give me Baseball WNBA eight year deal and one costs one seventh of the other. With Caitlin Clark, I would choose the WNBA. And I would not have said that a year ago. You're part of the Angel rees thing, and I Danny, I feel like it's a little bird magic to legendary players. Rivals in college come to the NBA immediately good. I mean, Angel Rees is like a double double record, Caitlin Clark, the playmaker, the assist record. I've never felt this before. I'm watching the WNBA on weekends over baseball, and it's been a good baseball year.
Speaker 2: It has been a good baseball year. So I'm with you, especially because one story, and you know this from starting a business. My parents were market people. I feel like I have an okay understanding of it. You can tell a story of growth that matters a lot baseball. The arrow is going down NBA, the arrow is going up. That matters fast, right, that that inherently matters to like Wall Street investors. The narrative that you can sell all of those things. The problem that baseball has as I see it, because I do think the pitch clock was excellent. Theo Epstein, Yeah, theo Epstein is the smartest executive I've ever talked to in sports. He now is advising Major League Baseball and some of this stuff, Like I think that I think that they're trying. I don't even they can't market stars. I don't believe that it's that it's too hard, too hard to hit the ball, like these pitchers have gotten so good, and the spin rate is so high and the velocity is so high that you go to these games and every team has a couple of starters and three or four relievers whose average fastball velocity is ninety eight miles of an hour above, and they just the starter pitches into the fifth and the and they bring in ninety eight, ninety eight, ninety nine, one oh two. There's twelve or thirteen combined strikeouts. When you when you see Roger Clemens or Justin Verlander have thirteen strikeouts by himself, You're like, I'm watching individual greatness. But when it's four or five guys combining for thirteen strikeouts, and I am a pretty astute baseball fan, and I've heard of one or two of them like that, that's an inherent boring. It's just it's boring. The ball is not in play enough. So I love that they're trying things. I like the idea of, like some real radical changes, like should we do construction on stadiums and widen the outfield?
Speaker 1: How about this lower the mound. They did it in Bob Gibson in the late sixties because he was just you couldn't hit Bob Gibson. You lower the mound six inches and the ball's not coming down at you, and the hitting averages all go up fifteen yep, two sixty becomes two seventy five.
Speaker 2: If you can do that, that's great. I was surprised that this they tried at one of the lower levels. I think it was single A. It might've even been lower than that. They tried moving the mound back from sixty feet six inches to like sixty one six thinking that the velocity wouldn't be as crazy, and the offensive numbers actually went down. I don't know what the explanation if that was, if like the hook and like the curvature was too big, or like more dramatic. I have no idea why that didn't work Like that seems counterintuitive to me. But whatever you can do lowering the mound, widening the outfield more foul like less foul territory. I mean, I'd be open to a lot of things, like limiting the number of pictures on a roster, saying that you've got to go five innings or six innings for a starting pitcher. A foul ball isn't a strike, like, I'd be interested in a lot of things to explore to figure out a way to inject some offense into the game, because I don't know Fox ad it. Did you watch the Baseball All Star Game? I don't know if you watched.
Speaker 1: Or now I watched. I watched innings of it. I watched the early innings.
Speaker 2: Those pitchers like like Mason Miller, Uh okay, how could you possibly hit it? Like they're the best hitters in the world and the best pitchers in the world, and the best pitchers won. Like it's a it was a low scoring game, you know. And so it's just it's very, very hard to generate offense. And because the science says and the stats say that when a pitcher goes three times through a lineup, they are expectedly more likely to allow more runs. Starters are getting pulled, relievers are being inserted into the game. You're seeing all these pitching changes and you're not. It used to be a huge deal. Oh, Tom Glavin is starting today, Greg Maddox is starting today. My ticket is worth more because I want to go see that guy. Now, you go see Paul Skins. Yeah, he might strike about ten, but he could be pulled after the fifth inning, and with the pitch clock yeah, that's an hour and fifteen minutes. So it just you got to figure out ways to get more offense into that sport.
Speaker 1: Listen, I have a deal with DraftKings, but I beyond that. I had a deal before that with their primary rival. Before that. I lived in Vegas for seven years, so I didn't gamble on sports growing up. I didn't grow up in a city there was nobody to gamble with. We were all poor. But when I went to Vegas for seven years out of college, my favorite thing to do after the eleven o'clock News, where I was the sports anchor on a Friday night during the football season was go to Pala Station and bet parlays and bet like twenty dollars on four different cards, and then wake up back when college football started at nine am Pacific, because you know, I didn't have the audience. Now they've pushed all the games back for the revenue in the audience. But you know sports gambling really well, you and Nick Wright both have the poker brain. And I saw the other day somebody there was a do gooder, you know, there was a media do gooder criticizing sports gambling. And I'm not obviously I'm pro media, and I think fake news is ridiculous, But I do think the media can be out of touch, can be really out of touch on stuff. I thought there was too much hysteria. Though I was pro vaccine, there was a lot of hysteria. I thought canceling college football for young people to sit outside in the sun in September was a little overwrought. I mean, they closed the beaches in California and skateboard parks. It just was overreaching. The media was hysterical when we knew pretty pretty quickly with the science under twenty two if you didn't have physical maladies, you were fine. It was a you know you were gonna make it. So I also think some of the media can be really preachy on sportscampling. So in the companies I've worked with, the average bet is four dollars. You cannot It's easier to ruin your life for four dollars eating fast food burgers than it is gambling on sports. Your health will deteriorate faster than your wallet on four dollars a bet. And I also think one of the things that sports gambling offers, and I think it's really important and a very tribal angry. Time in America is community. I love betting with somebody and we have the opposite bet of the same bet. It's just fun. Maybe it's my guy DNA. I love having bets with buddies on games and we're laughing and high fiving. Where are you on sports betting? First of all, you know that I reached out to you a year and a half ago to bring you to the volume based on your sports gambling. What is your overarching opinion on it? It's dangers and it's how do you feel about it?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I love sports gambling. I've been betting on sports since I was fifteen and it was definitely not legal in the suburbs of Chicago. Again, parents' market people. I don't look at it as that entirely different. Now, obviously, you make you make a bet on Nvidia, you get it wrong and this stock goes down. It doesn't go to zero. You can lose a bet and it goes to zero. So I understand why there are differences. But it's it's all about It's a market, that's what it is. It's information. I think it's good for just us people sports consumers to have these really smart numbers. People inject unbiased probability into the discussion of sports. I think it makes people smarter if it is disseminated in an intelligent way. And also as just a student of history, prohibition doesn't work. It didn't work for alcohol, it doesn't work for the sex trade, it doesn't work for gambling, it doesn't work for marijuana. I'm not saying that everything in the world should be legal. I understand why some things need to be illegal, but generally speaking, if it's not going to kill you, I do believe that it should be legal and then regulated and taxed, and that actually would be safer and better for all people involved, So I don't really worry too much about the dangers. Of course we should have the disclaimers attached, you know, the one I gambler, you know, of course that should exist. Of course, responsible game like I don't like when people say frant who was someone just had to like backtrack on one of the big broadcasts where they came out and they said like, this is a can't lose, this is a lock bet your mortgage on it, and he said it kind of flippantly, but then people got on him. I forget who it was. People could google the story. It happened, I don't know, a few months ago. Like so, like, don't say that because some idiot out there might actually bet their mortgage and you could argue I shouldn't be responsible for that. But like it's you know, in general, as long as it is done as hey, this is entertainment. Don't out what you can afford to lose. And you can either do it because you are a Bears fan and you want to bet on the Bears, or you say, I want to bet on the Seahawks because I think that four and a half is a good number and it should be three, and I'm getting a point and a half of closing line value and that's off the key number of three and across four as an added bonus. And I got in early on the bet on you know, Sunday night when they posted the line, and then by the time kickoff happened six and a half days later, the market is corrected in my favor. Like, you can do it both ways. You could bet for fun, or you could bet to try to be a sharp, or you could bet somewhere in between. And if you don't like gambling, don't like you know, no one, no one is forcing you to do it. I understand that it is a if you have no interest in it, and now you're seeing it everywhere, it feels like you're inundated with it. But you talk to guys who did local radio like longer than I did. It used to be every commercial was for a car dealership, and then it became everyone was for a beer alcohol brand. Now it's for a sports book. Like it's whoever is the newer thing in the advertising space, They take over and they mass produce to try to get market share. So these things go in cycles. But people have been gambling on sports for the entire history of sports. I don't really pearl Clutch about any of this. I don't do it. Oh won't somebody please think of the children? That doesn't really concern me too much. And I look at it as enhancement. Frankly, it's like bacon on a cheeseburger. I like cheeseburgers. I like bacon on a cheeseburger more. I like watching football. I like watching football more if I have a bet on it, Like, that's what it is. It just enhances my sports experience.
Speaker 1: So whenever I criticize somebody a lot like Baker Mayfield, I always start with a qualifier. I think he and his wife are great people. I know a private story about them that is very complimentary. I think he's one of the twenty best quarterbacks in the league, and I'm rooting for him. I just thought he was overdrafted, an immature, and so Aaron Rodgers I feel the same way. I'd vote him for the Hall of Fame. I think there are qualities about him that are better than Brett Farve, but he has become it feels to me podcast guest Slash Quarterback on that he is sort of just doing his own thing. Bill Simmons always had this theory and I've had a similar one. Like the older you get, the richer you get. If you're not married, you get a little weird. I could name like four people off the top of night. You get a little odd. You're on your phone too much. But I've had so many opinions about Aaron Rodgers. I just don't think he's going to be as good as a quarterback as people think. His last year in Green Bay, he wasn't as good as Jordan love Now with a very good offensive line, a good offensive coach and like symmetry inside the building. I don't know if Solikan coach Natt Hackett's a disaster and that online is they cross your fingers. He won't be the best quarterback in his division, and probably with two and Josh Allen, he'll be the third most productive. So where do you stand on Rogers? I don't believe you can be a savior at forty years old off a major surgery with Josh Allen, Mike McDaniel and two in a division. I think CJ. Stroud can in his division. I don't think Aaron can at his age with those quarterbacks in his division. Where do you stand on him now?
Speaker 2: Right? So the coming off the injury part is the huge caveat right, because we saw Brady do it in Tampa. So yeah, it is possible. But forty year old's coming off of achilles injury with will say other interests to put it mildly, he's not Brady, right, Brady maniacal about football football right, football, football football football. Obviously, that's not Rogers. This is maybe not as fact based and analytical as you would come to expect an opinion of mine to be. I just hope he's good, so that we haven't been wasting our time these last two years. We have talked so much about Aaron Rodgers on Pat McAfee and Aaron Rodgers on Joe Rogan and Aaron Rodgers an RFK, and Aaron Rodgers the vaccine and Aaron Rodgers the toxic Internet brain and Aaron Rodgers the troll, And I'm just like man. He is one of the most talented quarterbacks that I've ever seen play the position. He influenced Mahomes, he influenced Caleb. He is a first ballot Hall of Famer. The only player in the history of the sport with more MVPs than him is Peyton Manning. He is one of the first guys that I've ever seen who was a gunslinger who didn't turn the ball over. He has a forty five touchdown, six interception season on his liking like that that is one of the craziest seasons I've ever seen anyone have in my life. And so like, there's just been so many column inches and so many takes and so so much word vomit on Aaron Rodgers the last two years that I want, I feel like we deserve Jets Bengals Divisional Weekend, like I feel like we deserve it as sports fans. I want to see Aaron Rodgers Josh Allen for the Division week seventeen. I just I'm rooting for him to be better than his weirdness and his age and his injury suggest that he should be. Because they're gonna be on National TV six times again, like it is a really compelling sports theater. And it sucked watching Zach Wilson on Monday Night Football last year. I don't want to do that type of thing again. So I am hoping that the conversation about Aaron Rodgers can be about football again, because he's simply one of the greatest football players that I've ever seen. And if he goes out and he's just bad, he'll still be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He'll be a bit of a punchline, and that would suck, because, yeah, I disagree with a ton of things that he said, but I still love watching the guy play football, and so I'm really hoping that we get some version. He's not gonna be forty five and six, but I hope we get a great version of Aaron Rodgers because then at least it will have made the last two years of nonsense feel like it mattered in a sports sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be like promising your kid's a great vacation for two years and then you go to Hawaii and there's a tropical storm.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, you're the perfect that's the perfect analogy exactly. It's like, come on, man, like this hat this I want. If it's thirty to six Niners Jets in week one and he three days, I'm gonna be like, come on, I don't care about what he said on Tuesday. Like, just like, give me one of those throws where you flick it with your wrist. It's thirty yards on the time Garrett Wilson catches it, and that game's twenty seven to twenty four in the fourth quarter with two minutes left. Like, give me that to make all this other nonsense worth something.
Speaker 1: So it's twenty twenty four, and let's talk about something really really important. If you're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan's, America's largest injury law firm, and they're there for you. Over one hundred offices nationwide. Think about that, more than a thousand lawyers with over twenty billion. That's a B twenty billion dollars recovered for over five hundred thousand clients. Things happen in life unexpectedly. Submitting an injury claim with Morgan and Morgan is really really easy. Like winning in the NFL is hard. We know that quarterbacking in the NFL is hard, submitting a claim is easy. You're ever injured, check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. For more information, go to for Thepeople dot com, slash colin or dial pound law from your cell phone. Pretty easy. That's for the People dot com slash colin or pound law pound five to nine from your cell Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting for you to get a full and fair compensation if there's an unexpected accident in your life. This is a paid advertisement. All right, I've got I've got a late summer tan. My wife asked me today, how's your summer going, because we we're going to see each other now for twelve straight days starting Wednesday night. And I said, I count my life in my summers. How many summers do I have left? And I figured out I got like twenty five summers if I you know, and uh so, let me ask you, Danny Parkins six seventy the score, he just left that Chicago iconic radio station for a television deal to be announced. You've had a different summer. How's it for you? You just wrapped up a big charity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I gotta say this was not how I drew up my summer. I was looking for like family vacation and you know, maybe a golf trip with some buddies and a little R and R. But you know, the Wednesday to Saturday of this last week is the craziest four day stretch of my career and it's not even close. Wednesday we wrapped up the Parkinson'spiegel Show. So got a goodbye show in radio, and you know that that's rare. There are legends of the business that sometimes will be fired and never get to say goodbye to their audience. So you do it up big and talk to people who really mattered to the show and to us. And my family came in and surprised me and studio for the last segment, which was really emotional. I kind of have lived my life on the radio and so shared things about, you know, my first son being in the hospital from his premature birth, and my dad of and passing away, my brother passing away. So it was super emotional bringing them all in. But then that coincided with something that I've been working on for literally over a year thirteen months planning a radiothon for cancer research and partnership with the CUBS. I broadcast for twenty four hours Thursday to Friday in honor of my brother Brad, who passed away from glioblastoma terminal brain cancer. Raised five hundred and sixty thousand dollars in twenty four hours, brought on you know, about fourteen cancer patients, three world renowned doctors, and then between nine p and four A took sixty calls from people telling their cancer stories. Just incredibly emotional, people making five dollars donations, people making surprise fifteen thousand dollars donations. Tom Rickett's owner the CUBS donated twenty five grand. Not expected. It was Ryan Sandberg announced for the first time that he cancer free, like live on the air, unplanned. I had no idea. He just happened to have his last oncology appointment that morning and then came in and announced it. So I mean truly one of the craziest broadcast days of my life. Leading into Saturday at Wrigley, we had planned and it had never happened before. You know, the iconic stand Up to Cancer moment that happens at the World Series or Alstar Game. It had never happened at a local game at a local ballpark. So wet. The Cubs, myself stand Up to Cancer, have been planning this event for a long time. And Brad's son, my nephew, got to throw out the first pitch to Craig Counsel, the Cub's manager, who happened to grow up with my brother Bet Brad childhood best friends. So I had my whole family on the field where my Brad's son throws out the first pitch. Then the stadium stands for cancer. At the end of the fourth inning, I've got ten family members standing holding you know, my brother's name up there, and it was just, you know, it was it was incredible. It was just so emotional, and the charity that I've joined the board of directors of, I know I'm rambling a little bit, but it was just like wrapping up a radio show that I loved, wrapping up this charity event that I'd planned for so long doing this like incredibly symbolic thing in my brother's honor. It's just been a whirlwind of a ninety six hours. Man.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations and your next chapter. I'm not going to give it away, but it's it's exciting, and it's it's I think one of the more enjoyable things for me at this point in my life is watching young talented people get opportunities and help lubricate those. And you're going to crush it wherever you go, and we both know where you're going.
Speaker 2: So no, that's the thing, like after the radio thought, I'm supposed to have a week off, and now it's I'm coming to you from a hotel room, you know. So like my life is not slowing down anytime soon. But listen, I wouldn't have it any other way. I could not be more excited about what's next. You just have to prom that you'll have me on the pod when we can actually talk about it.
Speaker 1: All right, Danny, whatever you're doing the mystery that's about to be unveiled, I hope you're a regular on my podcast. And it's good talking again, buddy, and congrats on all your success Colin.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. You know anytime I would love to come on. Thank you sir the volume.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review