Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. Welcome back to another episode of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams here on the iHeartRadio app, and the WNBA regular season is coming to an end this week. It's been a great season, y'all. I mean lots of great matchups, storylines, some unexpected things happening in the season, but overall, I would say that this, hands down has been one of the best seasons that I've been able to witness and cover. I'm excited for this week's headlines and joining me this week to help break down all of the latest and women's basketball is a good friend of mine. She is a producer and she is also a WNBA analyst and digital creator for NBC Sports. My good friend Natalie es Squire is going to be in the house. We're going to break down Asia Wilson breaking the single season scoring record. She is the first player in WMA history to have a thousand points in a single season. Love that for Asia Wilson, and then we're gonna move on to talk about Caitlyn Clark she breaks the rookie scoring record, and how dangerous the fever might be in the playoffs, especially in the first round if they face the Connecticut Son. Do they have the potential to advance in the second round and upset the Connecticut Son. We're gonna break that all down with Natalie. And then lastly, we're gonna talk about the final push for that eighth seed in the WNBA playoffs, and we're gonna talk about Kathy Engelbert, who has issued an apology to the league's players for an appearance that she made last week on CNBC. But I want to welcome in this week's guest. I mentioned she is a good friend of mine. I want to welcome Natalie Esquire. She's a former lawyer turned w NBA reporter for NBC Sports. Natalie, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Christina, Thank you so much for having me. I'm honored and so excited to do this with you today. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I am so excited to have you on because I think that one this was a long time comming. So I'm happy that we're finally able to be in the same space together and to just have fun and talk hoops. But also I want to give you your flowers before we start. And this is coming from the heart because I truly mean it. I think that the work that you do is so necessary. And I tell you all the time, f what the haters say on social media. I know that you know, you know, you have people coming at you and stuff, but just know that the work that you do in this space is important. Your voice is necessary, and to keep going, keep your head hell high, chest out because you deserve it. And I know how hard it could be for black women particular in this media space. I last season went through something that was completely you know, crazy for me and just to see how the whole WNBA community is able to rally behind me, and so I'm here to say I'm rallying behind you and I support you in the work that you do. And I just thank you again for coming on the show this week. The pleasure, like I said, is aline and thank you. I feel like I'm going to get emotional when we talk about Asia Wilson giving her her flowers, and so I'm trying not to be emotional now, but what you just said really touched my heart and really means so much coming from you, because yeah, like Asia said, last night. Sometimes she hates being Asia Wilson this year, particularly being in this space. Sometimes it's been very hard. So I appreciate someone like you who's been a trailblazer in this space saying those things about me, and I really mean it. And you know, we talk offline. I'm not just doing this for show, because you're a guest on the show, and you know I support you in the work that you do and I'm here with you. I think that is important as a woman that we stick together, especially in this industry. And you mentioned Asia Wilson. We're going to talk about, you know, her amazing game and breaking records, but just know that you know this is a safe for you here on this show. And so let's get into the headline. So on Sunday, Asia Wilson became the first player in WNBA history to score one thousand points in a single WNBA season. Now, Asia Wilson, she's been having such a dominating season thus far. Lots of people say she's the unanimous MVP. I had an opportunity to speak to Asia Wilson for NBC earlier in the season, and she told me that getting that fourth place vote last year was the motivation that she needed to come out and kill. We've seen her show up to games in the white T shirt and sweatpants meaning business Natalie. What does this accomplishment mean for her place in WNBA history? As the Aces look to three.
Speaker 2: P goodness, you have to start talking about Asia and the Goat conversation, right. I mean, I'm someone who really thinks like we don't want to prematurely crown people, But I mean, her resume is ridiculous. Like, just with the basics, She's a two time champion, a multiple time MVP, is about to get her third in my opinion, what should be her fourth, right Defensive Player of the Year. She just has all the accolades that you would want for a player who you're going to talk about in that Goat conversation. She's in the middle of trying to build a dynasty, right, and that could potentially happen if the Aces three repeat. She has the resume, she has the accolades, she has the stats to just mention the thousand points. She's also going to have the record this year for rebounds as well. In WNBA history. She'll lead in blocks this year as well, so blocks, rebounds and points in one season. It's never been done. I mean, this is Asia Wilson. She comes out and she does this on a nightly basis. She was the MVP of the Olympics. You have to start talking about her in the goat conversation.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree, And I saw a tweet recently that said, we need to start talking about Asia Wilson in the same breath that we talk about Lebron James. She's accomplishing all of this before the age of thirty, and when you talk about this standalone season, she's averaging a double double of twenty seven points twelve rebounds per game. She's single handedly is the reason why the Aces are able to clinch for the playoffs this year, despite all the adversity that this team has had to face this season with injuries and losing players and getting new players additioned by subtraction. But I think that she is the best player in the world right now, and you have to consider her in those conversations. If she three piece, that's it just crowded to go. She's for sure going to be on Mount Rushmore when we talk about the greatest of all time in the WNBA. But I think that what we're seeing Sometimes because we cover the game, you can get lost in like you're witnessing history, something that has never been done before. When we look at players who have had great seasons, I think about Candace Parker, who is someone that I watched growing up and the reason why I covered women's basketball just seeing Candace Parker dominate. I think about Lauren Jackson in two thousand and six, Cynthia Cooper at the inception of the WNBA, the season that she had her MVP season, as well Nekka Guomaka in twenty sixteen when the sparks one. When you look at last season and this season, I think she would say too fairly that it's Asia Wilson against Asia Wilson. She wants to out best herself. But yees, certainly I think that that last season, just getting that fourth place vote, not getting MVP, it's her motivation. Would you consider Asia Wilson's season right now to be the best WNBA season that you've seen thus far?
Speaker 2: Yes? Probably, But I'm gonna give a little disclaimer that obviously I'm newer to this space, so as much history as I've tried to research, I'm sure there could be some others that I'm missing, but and there have been some great seasons. I mean, you mentioned Necas she was so dominant that season. She also probably had a little bit of a drive after getting snubbed for the Olympics. Candice Parker has so many great seasons if you think about also just more of course Smazi's out there also when you just think of like great MVP years, I always thought that Elena Deladon's was like one of the greatest. She's like fifty forty ninety that season. So there have been some really great seasons up there. But this kind of dominance when you're in the conversation to potentially be the second unanimous MVP in WNBA history, like, you just don't get unanimous a lot. And I don't know if she will because look, there was a fourth place voter last year, but I cannot see any reason that a voter would give another player first place over Asia. And I want to be clear, that's not saying that other players are not having MVP level seasons, but that's why they're second, third, fourth, fifth, And you acknowledge those players and the great seasons they're having by voting them in those categories. But if you only could pick one and your answer would be that it's Asia Wilson. Then she deserves those those all those first place votes. And so if you're in that conversation, if people are talking about your season like it should be unanimous, and that is the conversation you probably are having, if not the best, one of the best seasons in WNBA history.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And on Sunday, when Asia Wilson scored her thousandth point against the Connecticut Sun at home in a win, there was a postgame speech that she gave to her team in the locker room. I want us to take a listen and then we'll react to it.
Speaker 3: When you talk about special it's in this locker room. I love each and every last one of you.
Speaker 2: Queen.
Speaker 3: We just met a couple of weeks so ago, but girl, you came in here in jailed with us like you've been with us since Shanny Kamp, and those are the people that I love. As we're very I'm very particular about who we let in this locker room. So first off, thank you. When it comes to the rest of y'all, the ones that we've been through everything with, I am so appreciative. I don't get any of this without my guards feeding me to basketball.
Speaker 4: So thank you, guys.
Speaker 3: But I hope y'all know how much I love y'all, each and every last one of y'all.
Speaker 5: Y'all would never understand y'all mean to me because it's days where I hate.
Speaker 4: Being Angel Wolson. I hate it.
Speaker 3: But when I come into work and I see y'all smiling and I see y'all just happy.
Speaker 4: Makes me who I am.
Speaker 3: And I am so grateful to have teammates like y'all because I don't y'all listen, I.
Speaker 4: Can go on. Y'all are just amazing people.
Speaker 3: And I love coming into work with y'all single day because life is hard.
Speaker 4: We all know it is.
Speaker 3: But when I'm coming to work, can I see y'all, it changes my whole outlook a life so.
Speaker 4: Appreachia it for y' all because it's hard. We know it's hard.
Speaker 3: But I'm nothing without y'all, and I'm so grateful and thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Never change.
Speaker 1: I'll never change, Natalie. I see that you're a little emotional behind hearing those words from Asia Wilson addressing her team in the locker room post game. Can you just talk about what hearing those words from Asia Wilson. How does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: I mean, for me, it really resonated with me, I feel like, and I'm sure it resonated with a lot of people, but based on my timeline and the people that I saw resharing this video and specific talking about that quote, it resonated with a lot of Black women. And the crown that Asia wears is heavy. You know, she carries a lot, and I think many of us know that. But there's a saying people say often Black women are strong. It's actually an awful trope actually, because it dehumanizes us. It's this idea that we're always so strong, so nothing bothers us, nothing impacts us. And we saw it with Angel Reese when she was vulnerable in the past. The moment she said anything was hard. People said, oh, you know, like she's playing victim, right, And so I respect Asia for being vulnerable with us in this moment because we're often not allowed to be vulnerable, and her crown is heavy that she wears. You have the pressure of trying to repeat which has only been done once before in this strip of the League, and it was like at its inception, you know, and the aces were struggling this year and having to carry her team until they could get back to the aces. We all recognize, you know, there's all this commentary where a lot of the players, the black players, have been subject to a lot of racism and vitriol this season, and she asked to where all of that come out and perform every night. Seeing her break down like that, it made me emotional, but also it just resonated with me because we all try to do so much, you know, and if you really care about this league and you care about these women, how can it not resonate with you. So I'm sorry that I've been getting choked up, but it really was touching to watch, you know, And I just how can you not root for a player like Asia Wilson, you know. And so it was really just a tremendous, vulnerable moment that she shared with us, and I'm so thankful to get to watch her play and witness this history she's making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I absolutely agree. I mean, just rehearing that audio, it made me take a step back, and as you said, it resonated with me not only as a woman, but as a black woman to hear someone like her be vulnerable in that moment with her teammates. I think that those words just shows just how much of a great leader Asia Wilson is. Just even in you know, her most vulnerable state, she's still encouraging her teammates, still being that leader. But I think that I agree with you in saying that this moment kind of humanizes her because we use the words dominance, strong, just the words that we use to describe, you know, Asia Wilson's season and her skill, but not maybe sometimes not recognizing the human aspect of Asia Wilson. And you know, I love that you compared it to what Angel Lee was going through this season. I had several chances to talk to Angel about who she takes care of Angel when Angel's taking care of everyone else, you know. And I see the support system that Asia Wilson has and her family and her teammates and coaches, and I'm just so happy that she has that support, you know, as the best player in the league. And so I'm excited again to see all that Asia Wilson will do in her career. But I'm glad that people got a glimpse of that human moment, that vulnerability. I'm just excited to see, you know, where she takes this sport. She is undeniably the best player in the world right now, whether people want to recognize it or not. And as you said, that crown is heavy and she wears it very well. We're gonna take a quick little break, but more from Natalie Esquire when you return. Right now. The Aces regular season is winding down and they're looking to clinched the best possible seating for the playoffs. And we know that with the best possible seating, if they clinched four, you know they get the home court advantage in round one and they can potentially face the Seattle Storm and the best of three first round series. The Aces went three to zero last week. They beat the Fever twice, they beat Connecticut, and they're looking to three p I personally feel like this team is peaking at the right time, and it's something that people were like ring the alarm on the Aces. It's over for them. They're not going to three peat, and I think out of a silly honestly that people would think that the Aces were not going to turn a page. Obviously, Chelsea Gray, the point God, was not healthy in the first half of the season and it just took a little turn personal Olympic rate for Jackie Young Kelsey Plumb to get back in their rhythm. But now this team is turned up. You have like you have Sid Colson getting meaningful minutes off the bench, Tiffany Hayes producing and everything. It started to jail for this team at the right time.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 1: Defense was a point of emphasis for this team, and now they're holding opponents to about seventy three points per game. And so this is an Aces team that is ready for the playoffs right now. And so what are you looking for if they potentially face Seattle in a best of three first round series.
Speaker 2: Listen, this is my favorite time of year. I love going through all of these potential playoff scenarios. And there's a path where the Aces can move up to number three. So I would love to see them in a matchup with the Storm. You know, both of these teams have sort of had interesting years where admittedly, like when I do my power rankings, like there have been times I'm like, I don't know about the Storm, They're not contenders. I'm not sure about them. The Aces. I really wouldn't take them out of the contender class just because you give them that respect. Just two time champions, but like I felt like the Storm had been all over the place and they seem to be kind of getting it together at the right moment. Skylar is really like coming into her own and so you have a similar story going on over there. I think the Aces, the way they're playing right now should scare every team, you know, And I said, like, you know, I don't want to look too far ahead plast the first round, but I'm just like, you have to hate that if you're the Liberty first, it's supposed to be the best and you could potentially be seeing them in the second round because you don't expect the Aces to be so far in the standing at the beginning of the season. So I think it would be a great first round matchup the four and the five. Usually when it's like that, that usually means those teams are pretty even. I don't think they're even. I would pick the Aces in that series, but I think I think we'll get like a nice competitive matchup. A lot of names in that matchup, so I would really enjoy seeing that. But I can't ignore the potential of if they move up to three and then you know they were like in a different spot. That would be really interesting because then they would be playing the Indiana Fever, who they, as you mentioned, just beat two times last week. They want they beat them all all year, so they sweep them for the season. Would that have any kind of mental edge over that young Fever squad? So I would be interested in either. But I would like the standings to play out the way that they are right now because I am booking it. It's going to be Semis, Aces and Liberty. I want to see that, So I need this to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that with what happened in the off season with a lot of teams, a lot of teams responded to the Aces winning back to back championships and free agency by adding players necessary to compete against an Ace's team. And I think that if the Seattle Storm faced the Aces in round one, maybe you could potentially see upset because Nika Gumaka has been playing great basketball quietly has been playing MVP like a season as well. For the Seattle Storm. As you mentioned, Skyler Diggan Smith is finally finding her rhythm on this new team that she's a part of, and you're adding Gabby Williams, Jordan Horsten, jul Lloyd, who has had a little bit of struggles this season with consistency. But I think that the Aces they've proven time and time again that they can turn on a different switch when it comes time for playoffs. We seen it happen last season when they won the championship down a couple starters down Chelsea Gray, Keiaz Stokes, Candace Parker. They always find ways to win no matter what. Again, Sidney Coulson has been great with being that engine for the Aces when it comes to setting the tone whenever they need that extra bush. She comes off the bench and defensively she's just everywhere. She's scrappy. She does everything that doesn't show up in the box score for the Aces to really get them going defensively, I mean, Asia Wilson is Asia Wilson. She's gonna dominate regardless. But this is a tea that's filled with Olympians who have experience with winning. And then you look at the coaching staff. Becky Hammond is one of the greatest coaching minds in my opinion, in this league. She's just a mastermind when it comes to x's and Oh's Thy Marsh style to Ti Marsh and Natalie as well on that coaching staff, who's just been tremendous, Like this is a team that can play really well, but also they have a coaching staff that can out coach a lot of coaches in this league. And so I think that the Aces is still a very dangerous team now if they make it to the second round, and if the Liberty make it to the second round, because that number one seed is also up in air. Right now, the Liberty are number one in WNBA's standings, but if the Liberty lose their next two games and the Minnesota Links win their next two games, then the Links could be that number one seed. And so with the regular season ending, a lot of teams are trying to get the best possible seating for playoffs, and these next couple games for a lot of teams are going to be very significant when it comes to that. And so while the Liberty right now, as we record this two days ahead on Monday, while they are the number one team right now, the Links are right there. And the Liberty and Links faced each other on Sunday at Barclays and the Minnesota Links came out with the win. I was there and I was just like okay, I was speechless because it did not look like the Liberty team that has been the number one team all season. But also a lot can be said about the Links, who is the number one and three point shooting, number one in defense. Obviously, Sharyl Reeve, in my opinion, willin Coach of the Year this year, just for how she's been able to turn this team around that was ranked ninth in the preseason and now they're potentially going to be the number one, number two ranked team in playoffs. But if Visakalier has been playing outstanding, Alanna Smith defensively has improved, Kaylen McBride, Bridget Carlton, these players are players who have been considered underdogs for most of their career and now potentially on the run to potentially compete for a championship, and so I think that the Liberty obviously will have to step it up. They can't play complacent. They have to be able to just be consistent through all forty minutes. With that game against the Links on Sunday, they got off to a slow start and that's been at an Achilles Hill for the New York Liberty since last year. If John qwel Jones can't get going, then the Liberty aren't a really bad place. Sabrinneo Nascu and Branda Stewart combined for forty eight shot attempts, So there's a lot this New York Liberty team will have to figure out if they want to clinch that number one seed. They have two more games and they have to close out the season strong. But as you think a loss against the Links is maybe they needed right before playoffs to just reset. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I know a lot of people who are subscribed and follow you and listen to your podcast are New York Liberty fans.
Speaker 1: They are, but I'm listening. I will always straight no chaser with y'all because I know you'm with the team. I spent a lot of time with the New York Liberty, you know, I watched all the teams in the WNBA. Yep, But you know, it's just a team that's in my market, and so I just want to keep it real with y'all. That game was very alarming to see them drop it like that, you know, and the Links was up by as many as twenty plus points at one time. Yeah, but I do think that one good thing that I still was the ability for the Liberty in the fourth quarter, especially to crawl back. They were crawling back, crawling back, finding ways to crawl back, but they just went out of time. But when you have situations where John Paul Jones is not having a great game, where teams find a way to neutralize John Cuel Jones, Liberty are in a bit of trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I only said that disclaimer because I don't think people realize I'm in the New York.
Speaker 1: Market too, So yes you are.
Speaker 2: So I'm at more Liberty games than any other team, but yet Liberty fans deem me a hater of the team, at least Liberty fans that are on X. So that's why I wanted to give that disclaimer. So with that being said, that game did not surprise me because I've said all year that the Links are a better team than the Liberty, and so I believe that, and I believe that should the Liberty end up in the finals, if it's the Links on the other side, I would pick the Links in that series. And with the Links, it's sort of a the whole is better than the sum of their parts, because New York is a more talented team. They have more high end talent on that team. But this is another team that has a deep bench, right like the Liberty, And they added make shahinz Allen right.
Speaker 1: Rights, and he could be a starter on any other team.
Speaker 2: Yes, And she's fitting so well right away, like there's been no.
Speaker 1: I know, she's happy by the way, to go from one of the worst are the best.
Speaker 2: And they add her to a team that was already like just flowing right, and so the chemistry is top notch.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: The Links are not even a great rebounding team, and they were like out rebounding the Liberty early on the boards.
Speaker 1: Well, I have the statue right here. I have the statuet I do. I do have the stat sheet right here because it was in my purse, y'all. But no, they were kind of like neck and neck when it came to rebounding.
Speaker 2: By the end of the game, but like by the first right early. And that sounds like they should not be out rebounding, y'all, Like right now, they shouldn't because they're not even great at this, you know. And so between their perimeter shooting, between their defense, their defense is so stingy, and they have the second best net rating in the league, so it's only second to the Liberty, but I like their defense more. And when it comes to teams like this who are evenly matched, and I'm actually being a little generous when I say evenly matched, because I genuinely think that the Links are the better team. But when it comes to teams that are evenly matched, then I go to who's the best player in the series, who would be the best player in the series, And if the two players sort of cancel each other out or they're the same level of player, I would consider the Fisa Collier and Brianna Stewart in the same tier. But I do think Visa right now, based on the season, is playing better than Brianna Stewart. She's had a better season. I think for most people. I'm not a voter, but I think for most people, Nafisa is going to be second most MVP ballots right and I think she's really the only person you could make a compelling case for as MVP, and I agree. I say it's compelling loosely right, because I do think Asia is unanimous. So the Links they just have it all clicking for them. The main thing is the Liberty. If they both end up in the finals, they would have home court, and I think that's important. But the Links have showed that doesn't matter for them. They've come into New York's home twice and beaten them. I know people don't want to look at the Commissoner's Cup, but it happened. People. It was there. Fine, you want to say that wasn't at Barclays. They came in and they did it at Barclays. Up until that point, I've been saying the Liberty have played one good quarter against the Links and they won. That's the only game that they won because it was their best quarter in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: The Liberty struggled all night to get it going on the offensive end. Against the Links. They shot thirty nine percent from the field and only twenty nine percent from three. You just can't have that. And Sabrindi and Escu went four for twenty one four two t twenty one from the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I understand that the lead got so big and so Sabrina was trying to shoot them back into the game. But I would have liked to see from her what we've seen all season for the most part. When her shot isn't falling right, and I would have liked to see her attack more. I would have liked to see her going downhill. I'm not saying that's easy. I get that Minnesota defense, but I would have liked to see her take some easier shots, different kinds of shots, and then maybe work a little inside out. So that's what I would have liked to see. That felt a little bit like last year Sabrina or Sabrina.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: When she gets frustrated her shots and falling, she just sort of like settles and she starts like shooting it. And so I don't think we'll see many of those performances again. So I think the New York Liberty have to play perfect basketball. I really do to beat the Links. I would pick the Links in a series. I just I just think they're the better team. I do, and my mind hasn't changed from that.
Speaker 1: I attended the game on Sunday, and I waited for both teams to arrive in the tunnel. And when I tell you that, the Links came in and they meant business. They showed up to the game with their uniforms on. No one had on regular clothes, No tunnel walk. They came in with the warm ups, with the uniforms, ready to play. They meant business, and Cheryl Reied emphasized, you know in the pregame how critical she used the word critical. It was to stop John Cuwel Jones from imposing her will in the paint. And that is exactly what the Links did. They were able to knock the Liberty off their usual rhythm to get started in the game. They were able to just make John Cwell Jones less of an impactful player. She's one of the best players on the team. And if you take her out of it, what does this New York Liberty team look like? So it'll be very interesting. I do right now agree with you in saying that the Manison Links are a better than in New York Liberty, and if they do face each other, it could be scary hours. I'm going on records saying that. So I agree with you there. But we're gonna take a little break and when we come back, we're gonna talk Caitlyn Clark and the Fever with Natalie. Caitlyn Clark scored a career high thirty five points and broke the rookie scoring record. She's already had the single season assist record, and at this point she's clearly the Rookie of the Year by a long shot. But my question is where Donna this season rank among the best all time rookie seasons in w NBA history. For me, I look at the season Kennis Parker had as a rookie where she won MVP in Rookie of the Year in the same season. That is my number one. But where do you have Katelin Clark's season ranking amongst all rookies.
Speaker 2: You know, it's probably like a top three season, top three to five. You know, I always worry that I'm like overlooking someone, but I will always agree with everyone that Candace Parkers is the greatest of all time as a rookie. So yeah, I'm probably gonna have to agree with you there on that one. But Caitlin is definitely having one of the best rookie seasons we've ever seen. Hands down, It's undeniable. I feel like someone who gets overlooked I had a great rookie season two was Simona Augustus. So I just want to point point that out. I saw a recent top ten list where she wasn't on it, but she was considered, and I don't know about that. I think she needs to be on the list, so, you know, and there's some I think that you know, I think a just rookie season, as little quiet as you know, it doesn't get maybe the recognition that it should. So there's some others out there, But Caitlyn clarks Is I would put her somewhere in three to five. I don't know who I would put second, but I just definitely know that Candice is first, and I just feel like I'm forgetting someone. Caitlin. She has met expectations, she surpassed them. So everything that you know, people thought about her, and I candidly don't really think that anyone expected Caitlin to fail. I think that's sort of like revision is history. There are players, greats, others who thought she would have an adjustment period, and I think she did. But I think she adjusted very quickly. And you never know with every rookie if that's going to be a quick adjustment period or if it's going to take longer. You just don't know. But she adjusted pretty quickly. And once she figured out and once the Indiana Fever figured out how to play together, they took us with history.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, I mean, I mean Kitlyn Clark was that missing piece for the Indiana Fever, who have not made a playoff birth or run since twenty sixteen. She was that missing piece. I think for me coming into this season, my favorite part about Caitlyn's game has never been really the scorn. We know she can do that. It's just how she can make the players better. And in this season we've seen the improvements with Kelsey Plumb being able to get more shots up, Alijah Boston now in her full element as well as the rating rookie of the year right now, and even players like Melissa when she get touch. It's just how all of the players on the Thiever are just really bonding, having that chemistry and just becoming a better team. Now in the first round, we know that they've clinched the number six seed. They are likely to play the Connecticut Sun in the first round. Obviously this is going to be a huge challenge, but I think that if there's any team that the Indiana Fever can possibly upset, it might be Connecticut. Where do you see a three game series going if the Fever were to face Connecticut in Round one? I need to take a deep breath.
Speaker 2: I do because I feel like I'm continuing the Connecticut disrespect capital CT at end. You know, It's like I feel like this team always feels like we're always slided. People don't take this seriously, and I don't want to be that person. They've had such a tremendous season yep, and you know, Dja Carrington would be my pick for most improved player. They just had an amazing season. They added Marina Maybury to this team and it's really helped their three point shooting and opened up the offense a little bit. But their offense still remains inconsistent. It is their Achilles heel. And because of that, if it's clicking and they're clicking on all cylinders right then I would pick them to win. I just don't know which offense I'm going to get each game. I don't know which version I'm going to get. And the Indiana Fever, to their credit, their defense has really improved post Olympics, and so I don't know. I do think if they're going to upset a team, it would be the Connecticut Sun. If I were the Sun. If they don't win their next game against the Links, I think you have to make a business decision, right, And I'm not trying to describe this as ducking. I don't think that the Sun fair any team. I don't Their defense is incredible. But when I say you make a business decision, is it worth getting any of your players rest at the end of the season, right, Do you care strongly if you're playing the three or the four. Also, just because you rest players doesn't mean you still won't win the game. You'd have Chicago Sky in that last game and they're pretty injury riddled, so you probably still have a good chance of winning. But I would make a business decision as in, do I want to rest my players? Do I want to have them as rested as possible? Because this team, the Indiana Fever, they like to play with pace, they like to push. They want their bigs running the floor. They want Kelsey Mitchell running. She's so fast, she's so quick. And Dja Carrington is still I think, probably the best defender in the league on Caitlin, if not one of the top two. Right Jackie Young is pretty good on her too, and she's gonna get tired out, you know. Having to be on Caitlin for most of that series, and so how does that affect her offense if it does right? And so these are just things you have to consider if you're going to get into a matchup with a team that plays like them, and Caitlyn Clark is going to push and push and push and push, make a business decision. That's all I'm saying. You have to consider it. And so I think that series can definitely go three. I think the Fever can upset them. But I think I agree with you. If there's a team that upset Connecticut, it's definitely the Fever.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's just something different about this Sun team this year where you see spurts of a team who could make a deep run in the postseason, and then there's some moments where it's like, wait, what is going on? But to your point, I agree, Dhna Carrington has been a great defender on Caate mcclark. She's been good at just neutralizing her on offense when these two teams match up. Obviously, Alyssa Thomas is the engine for this team, the leader of this team. She's great on defense. On offense, you know, she does a great job at getting downhill, finding open open players, on offense as well, But it's all about consistency and just what kind of night are you going to get from the Connecticut sun. So I'm excited for the playoffs now. Also with the playoffs, we're talking about seating and as of today, because we filmed this show two days ahead, so it's Monday. The Mystics, Dream and Sky they have thirteen wins each, and you know they're gunning for that eighth, number eight seed when we talk about the playoffs, and we know that the number one will face the number eight, So who do you think will be the best possible outcome? And all of this For me, I think that if the Mystics clinched that number eight seed, maybe people will try to vote Eric Tibo as Coach of the Year because they started zero to twelve. Yeah, I mean, I think he still goes to share reef. But I'm just saying, like, this is a team has had to face so much adversity with injuries and just trying to figure out what works. And then you have the Dream who they have the talent there, right, the talent is there, but it just seems like something else is missing. And then the Sky, I mean, they face so much adversity with having a new coach, having to have some of their key players, you know, battle injury and Elizabeth Williams, Angel Reese and then Kamela Karto so did one with her shoulder, et cetera, losing Maria mayvery as well. So you know, these three teams that are trying to figure it out, you know, but I feel like these are also three teams that if they don't make the playoffs, they definitely can benefit from possibly getting into the Loudy draw, getting some players in the draft next year expansion Draft. It's also happening. So teams that are like a couple pieces of way from just being better. So what are you looking at when we talk about, you know, that number eight spot.
Speaker 2: I have no clue who's gonna win that eighth spots. I can't even I can't even try to guess. But this is one of them things like my handle is not fluential, Like y'a should follow me because I've tweeted out like all the different multiple scenarios because.
Speaker 1: Like adoptor strange, all the different possibilities.
Speaker 2: I love this. I love just playing out like all the different things that can happen. And maybe this is something you can tell me because this would inform my decision. But I know the Liberty rested players the last game of the season. Uh, It's something that often happens on the NBA side of things, But I don't know if that's a typical in the WNB. How do most teams typically handle it.
Speaker 1: I think that this is one of the first seasons that I've actually seen, you know, players sit out because of rest like that. In the W I mean, I'm an NBA they call it load man, this marander or something like that. But in the W now you see more players prioritizing rest one because there's more games. They're playing forty games this season, whereas it was thirty six at one point. At one point they were playing thirty two. So when you look at the Liberty, for example, right Brandon Stewart leads the league in minutes. I believe she's averaging almost thirty thirty eight minutes a game. This is a player who needs rest for the playoffs, because we saw that because she didn't have enough standminaugh in the postseason last year because she was being used so much. That hurt the Liberty ultimately. And that's one of the reasons why they lost against the Aces is Brandon Stewart's tank was empty when it came to the postseason. So I think that you know coaches and players and you know teams, they're looking at, you know, how can we be the best possible team, but also rest ours and look at the goal ahead, which is obviously to win a championship. And so I think at this season I saw a couple of players on the Aces rest as well, and so I think that this is one of the first seasons that I've actually seen it. But also I think it's important because when you look at the context of the season of being an Olympic year, multiple players across the league participating in the Olympics, whether it was three x three or five on five for their national teams. There's just a lot going on the forty game season, and next year I think it's going to go up with more games. So just moving forward, we probably see a lot more of that happening.
Speaker 2: I think for the teams that are battling for eight, I think their opponents for that final game, you could see rest from some of them, especially if there's nothing to play for. The Mystics would have to play the Fever in their very last game. I think there's no chance they're going to play the Liberty next. I think there's no chance the Liberty go into DC and lose that game. If they do, yeah, I will have a field day with that one. So I expect the Mystics to lose anyway, and that would well depending on what the other two teams in eight do battling for that spot, due that would probably potentially knock them out, but their final game would be against the Fever. The Fever are locked into six, like you already said, so are they going to play their players? I kind of feel like the way Kaitlyn Clark was talking in the postgame, they are, But that's the coach ultimately who's going to make that decision, right, Like if she's like, are they fine that if they don't play and they lose, they're going to be comfortable finishing with a five hundred record, because then they wouldn't finish above five hundred. Like, these are probably things that they're factoring in. But ultimately, do you want to get Elia Boston rest? Do you want to get Kaitlyn rest? Caitlyn plays a lot of minutes, right, do you want to get any of these players rest. You're locked into your spot, right, so the mystics may not have to worry. I like, I don't know some of these teams might be inclined to rest players, including the Aces, which means like they may not chase the three seed because Becky talked about getting Asia another another rest day. So because this doesn't seem to be a normal practice in the WNBA, I don't know what's going to happen, but I do think load management, if you will, could potentially be something that affects those games on Thursday. So I don't know who's going to win it, but I'll tell you what I would preferm what my preference would be. I'd still like the Sky to make it. I really would. I don't think any team is going three games with the Liberty. The Liberty are sweeping any of these teams they play. I feel very confident about that. So I don't really know if one team is harder for them than the other. But I think it's a cool story with all the adversity they've faced this year, Kennedy Carter coming back after missing last season, her you know, having to be out for a little bit, and helping safety protocols also contributed to just they're a perfect storm of struggles. So for her to have a chance in the postseason if Camilla's you know, shoulder is good enough. So I would still like them to make it. And I think it would be cool to have Angel rees on the sidelines. I'm assuming she'd be with them miked up. I think that would be like a fun thing to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, until your point, you know, Angel Reese, I've already seen her with her little clipboard on the sidelines, you know, talking to tea spoon on the sideline. So she's definitely on the sidelines cheering on her team. I think right now as Monday in Atlanta dream uh, you know, tie the head to head with Washington to two in their series, so the next tiebreaker, Uh, if they were in a two way tie against against other teams, I think you have to be a five hundred or better in order to clinch that seat. So, you know, we'll see what happens when it comes to the seating. There's so many different things if there's a three way time and there's so many different possibilities between the three. But moving right along to the next top, I want to get into the controversy in the w NBA that has been a huge topic this week. Kathy Engelbert recently wrote an apology letter to the w NBA players after she appeared on CNBC's Power Launch last week, where she was asked about the menacing tone surrounding you know, the rivalry or storylines between Angel Reach and Caitlyn Clark. You know, the segment talked about the growth of the w n B A and you know Kathy's response or initial response to the question that was posed to her, she focused more on the popularity of the rivalry versus you know, the dark side of how fans on social media have used Kitlyn Clark or Angel Reach as a form of weaponization and divisiveness to I guess prop up, you know, racism and all of that. And I know that this is a topic that you know, it's very dear to you, Natalie, and so obviously, you know, Commissioner Ingelbert face some backlash. What was your initial response or reaction to just hearing that answer from the commissioner in regard to you know, the social media weaponization. I guess that fans have used this rivalry for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly felt like many of the players. I was disappointed by it. I was not surprised by it. It sounded uninformed, but I don't think she's uninformed. So it was frustrating as well because it was a choice to sort of ignore the repercussions of what comes with this quote unquote rivalry, which is very manufactured on some level. And so, and I think the comparison to Magic and Bird was interesting because in doing that, in her answer, she also explicitly stated, you know, like one black, one white. So it feels like you're expressly acknowledging that there is a race factor, and yet you're romanticizing what happened with Magic and Bird, because that also had many racial undertones and involved racism, and both players Bird and Magic are on record stating that. So for her to make those comments, particularly not too long after Angel Reese had her debut podcast episode and stated that people have tracked down her address and her life has been threatened. There are safety concerns We're not just now talking about like fans being crazy on the internet, but that's like your actual safety. And so it was just a really dis pointing response. It was tone deaf. If you will and I felt like that that was the general sentiment I saw from players, so I was in agreement with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And speaking of players who you know spoke out against it, there were many players who reacted on ex post interview and it was a huge topic of conversation. Here's what Brianna Stewart had to say about Kathy Engelbert's initial response to that question on CNBC Take a listen.
Speaker 5: It's kind of disappointing to hear because you know the way that the fans have surged and especially behind.
Speaker 4: Klan and Angel coming to this league, but.
Speaker 5: Also bringing that a race aspect to a different level, and you know, there's no place for that in that sport.
Speaker 4: And I think that's really it is.
Speaker 5: We want our sport to be inclusive for and race, you know, gender and really a place where people can be themselves.
Speaker 4: So we wish.
Speaker 5: Obviously Kathy would use a platform in a different way and have made that a little bit better.
Speaker 4: But kind of just telling the fans like.
Speaker 5: Enough is enough, you know, become a fan of our sport and for the new ones like walking on everybody, but don't be disrespectful.
Speaker 1: I think that you know, when you hear one of the top players in the league. You know, condemn that response is gonna elicit like a reaction. And the commissioner, obviously, after Brandis Storer said those words in a postgame interview, she took to Twitter and she made a statement and she said quote to be clear, there's absolutely no place or for hate or racism of any kind in the w NBA or anywhere else. That statement on Twitter received you know, a little bit of backlashes. People felt like it wasn't enough. Kathy Engelbert then wrote a letter to the play of the WNBA in the players Union addressing her response. Cy NBC and I was able to obtain a copy of that letter, and here's some of what she said in that letter. She said, quote, I regret that I didn't express in a clear and definitive way condemnation of the hateful speech that is all too often directed at w NBA players on social media. I should have stated directly and unequivocally that hate speech is harmful. This is a teachable moment and one that I embraced with humility. There's absolutely no room for racism, misogyny, homophobia, and other forms of hate in the w NBA. Or anywhere end quote. So I think that you know, as Kathy mentioned in that letter to her players, this is a teachable moment for her, as you know, the commissioner and someone who was a leader of the league. What did you make of, you know, Kathy kind of just owning up to missing the mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad that the letter was more strongly worded.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't love that it had to take all of this backlash to get there. It also concerns me a little bit that she's not already aware of these things. She's not a brand new commissioner, so and it's not a new issue to the WNBA at all, you know, and this season it's been exacerbated and it's been like this thing in the background, the elephant in the room, if you will, and no one has addressed it. I mean, fans have addressed it. There are certain people in the media like myself and others who have addressed it, but largely it hasn't been officially addressed by the league. And it finally was asked directly to her, and this was her moment to make this statement there, the strong statement, and she didn't. And actually what she was asked on CNBC is how are you going to get ahead of it? What is the league going to do? And that question still hasn't been answered, and that's the question that I want to know. Now she's vowed to do better. She's had talks with Branda Stewart, with nekka Ogumaka, you know, so she's having I guess, the requisite conversations, and the leaders of the players Union, some of the most notable faces of the WNBA seem incline to work with her on trying to get this better. So I think we have to follow their lead. If the players are still, you know, working hand in hand with Kathy, I think we just have to watch and see. But this sort of reminds me, not because of what incident caused this, but this reminds me of like the post George Floyd error when that happened, right, So something happened, a situation happened. In this case in the WNBA, it's like it's been bubbling and then you know, a question was asked, but something happened, and then the reaction to it was everyone being swift and supporting black lives and implementing program and organizations. You know, I'm a former practicing employment lawyer, so DEI initiatives all these things right, and then the court started striking things down. A lot of these companies that pledge money places didn't do anything. So I'm just always skeptical, not because I don't want to take Kathy at her word. It's been my experience in corporate entities that they say the right things. And this wasn't even publicly. This was a letter to the player. So you made the initial statement publicly and then you gave us a post on X which also didn't meet the mark. But then you gave this really detailed letter behind the scenes privately to the players. And so I just need to see the action. Really, you know, I'm really not for performative things, and I don't know that it's performative. I'm just saying I just want to see the action. When I joined this show today, you said this is a safe space for you, and I want the space to be safe for the players. And while you cannot control fans, you can't. You can set a boundary and a standard and say we're not going to stand for this. This is not just a fan issue, and I want to make that very clear. Usually my criticism hasn't been about fans, because you really can't control strangers on the Internet. But the media, the national media, they are a major part of this and a major problem. They incite fans. They incite fans with the stories they choose to write and focus on with breaking yes, the way they frame conversations, the notifications that they put out on social the league itself and how it chooses to highlight certain players and what they highlight and who they do things for. Right, this is something that's institutional, it's systematic. It's not going to just change without a lot of work.
Speaker 1: It's not only happening to the black players now. But when Caitlin Clark liked Taylor Sweets comment for her endorsement for Kamala Harris Boom, you just saw like, it's not only happening to you know, the black players. Is it happening to them mostly? Yes, absolutely, But you know, as you said, like something has to be done right, And.
Speaker 2: Those people were not really Caitlin Clark fans. And that's the thing. We always knew that they were using her as a proxy to attack the queer players in this league, the black players in this league, and whatever other agendas that they have, you know, so I just want to see action. I want to see I want to hear or know the plan, you know, I want to know what they're going to do. I just want to see real, tangible steps before I really grade the league and Kathy on what they're doing. But I do appreciate that she did write something eventually that I do think struck the right tone and that she, at least on its face, seems to want to work with the players to get it right and get better. And so we'll see.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I do want to say a point of emphasis in this letter that we've obtained that Kathy Ingelbert wrote to the players, there were three points of emphasis, and here are the actions per Kathy Engelbert. In this letter. She said, one, we will be clear and swift to denounce racism, misogyny, and homophobia. That was like the first point. The second point says, quote, we will continue providing mental health resources and guidance to you and our teams end quote. The third point said quote, we will listen to you and find ways to work together to fight against the hate that you experience. So and that quote right there. But I think that when we talk about the WNBA, right like when we think about the twenty sixteen movement, the George Floyd movement, what they've been able to do in terms of politics, when they helped to essentially flip the Senate and get warn Off elected. Of just how this league, added core, has always been a league to take action and to use the platform to raise awareness for injustice. I think that, you know, just whatever happened with Kathy, of course she missed the mark, but in the same way you're going to see I think them speak up more about, you know, the social media engagement with the fans anti bullying campaigns. We saw Angel reach in the Chicago Skoty pretty much take a stand when it came to that. How the league has been able to protect players, I guess and with changes in the media policy to a certain extent, with certain players who have been experiencing this. I do like that, you know, Commissioner Engelbert said that, you know, we're going to provide these mental health resources and continue to help guide, but also continue to have a conversation and dialogue about how we can work together to protect the players, because at the end of the day, we can't control right what someone says online, but maybe we can do some actual steps one to help prevent it by doing more anti bullying campaigns. Like I said, I love what the Chicago's guy did with that initiative because you see things like Asia Wilson right when she says like sometimes I hate being Asia Wilson and you kind of dig deep in and see like, you know, her crown is heavy, or you know, players who don't want to participate in certain media responsibilities because of the mental health aspect. So I think that, you know, it's important that the commissioner took accountability both publicly and privately with the players, but you know, hopefully they can work together to create some more actuable items. I think that one of the things that stood out to me about all of this in the last week was obviously players and fans saying that they would love to see Mekkaguma k be the next commissioner of the w n b A. And if you watch the Shattered Glass documentary Bring a Stewart Mekka Gumaka and John quelt Jones. Meka Guomak serves as the president of the w NBPA for the players right now, but she's been a great leader in the league. She's been a part of the conversations in the twenty twenty CBA and they addrest her as Madam President. The players they respect her so much. She has a Stanford education from an ivy league. She's very smart. Most of the players in WM are smart. They had that get their college degrees. But you know, this is someone the players see as a leader. She hasn't denied that maybe this is something she would pursue post basketball career. And so what are her thoughts about the possibility of Neka Aguma k being the next commission of the w NBA after basketball is over for her?
Speaker 2: I think that would be incredible, you know, I really do. I would love to see it. You know, I think people aren't gonna like that I say this, but I think this league needs a black woman to lead it. And I think it needs not just a black woman. I'm not even one of the people who thinks it has to be a pass player though I think that is important to understand the players side of things, but it needs to definitely be someone who understands intersectionality. And I think that's key, and I think that's important, and I just don't think that many understand it besides groups who are a part of it. You know, you have to experience intersectionality to I really think, be able to understand it and it's impact and to plan around it. So former player fits the demographic representing a league that majority looks like her. I think it's needed in a way that may not be as needed in a league like the NBA.
Speaker 1: You know, seeing WNBA players be successful post WNBA career in the front offices, on the coaching staff, and so this is a league that really takes pride in setting players up for the next steps after their basketball career is over. And you know, we don't know up in the air. So can Nekagoombka be the next commissioner of the w NBA. Only time will tell. Natalie, I want to thank you for just being here this week again on in case you missed it with Christina Williams. Appreciate your vulnerability and transparency when it came to just discussing the topics this week.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. This was such a great conversation and I hope we get to work together more in the future.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course, for sure, for sure, for sure we're want to take a quick little break and hear a word from some of our sponsors. I just want to thank my girl Natalie again for joining us this week to break down the latest and greatest headlines in women's basketball. And now let's get into the things that I love. This week, I attended a party for the Players Tribune's ten year anniversary and a tenure anniversary party mixed with the book release for Derek Jeter. So it was literally the first time that I've ever met Derek Jeter in my life. And I'm a native New Yorker, grew up a Yankees fan, Sorrey Mets fans. But it was pretty dope to just be in that room and just to see, you know, different NBA players, influencers within the NBA in WNBA space of just be in a room and just celebrate the art of storytelling. But also another thing that I absolutely loved this week was being at that Links Liberty game at Barclay Center. There was an activation at Barclay Center that really stood out to me. The New York Liberty did a activation with Killan Paris, which is a high end luxury beauty brand, and your girl went home with some swag they gifted us with some perfumes, and I went home with a scent that I was told Rihanna loved. It was the love Don't Be Shy perfume. And this is obviously not an ad for killing Paris, but I heard Rihanna loves that sent and you gent home with some of that and the swag bag. So I love gifts, and so I thought that it was perfect to see, you know, the air section of fashion and beauty with women's basketball as a live activation at a basketball game, certainly something I have never seen in the women's basketball space. So I love that, you know, the team marketing departments and you know partnerships departments are just stepping it up on every level when it comes to game day entertainment presentation and just thinking about different demographics of customers and finding new entry points for fans. So I thought it was dope. I just got to see Ellie in her beauty era right now. She was doing segments as well at that activation. But your girl loves fashion and beauty. I actually started off as a fashion reporter before I got into the sports reporting world, so that was fun and I love me a good cent to add to my collection. So that is the thing that I love this week, and that's gonna do it this week for In Case you missed It with Christina Williams. Look, please don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast. And coming up next week, we're going to kick off the WNBA playoffs with a special preview featuring some friends to the show. We'll see you back here next week on In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams on iHeartRadio. In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Eight six