Speaker 1: It is Thursday, November ninth.
Speaker 2: This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District and now Jacksonville Jaguars twenty twenty three Homecoming King J. P.
Speaker 1: Checkrick. Thank you for all the votes appreciated. It's Jaguars Happy Hour and it's brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. Busy week the Jaguars and the forty nine ers coming up this Sunday of the game presented by Baptist Health. A physical matchup expected and the stretch run underway, the beginning of nine straight weeks with games and some really big games for the first place Jacksonville Jaguars. At five o'clock, we'll hear from the head coach, Doug Peterson on You Guessed It, The Doug Peterson Show that's on the Jaguars Radio Network at five o'clock today, Ay, we'll hear from Trevor Lawrence on that program as well. I caught up with the quarterback earlier this week. Get his thoughts coming out of the bye week and moving ahead, starting with San Francisco. We're on ten TXL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, and Jeff Loghman joining me now in studio here at the Miller Electric Center. And good afternoon, Off to bye week, back to worklogs, fresh, ready to go, ready for the second half. Look spry, you look ready, you look eager to go? Here? Great? Yeah, I feel it. I feel great. I feel great. And you know, here's the best thing. This is about as good of a second half season of football that you could ever imagine in Jaguars history. I mean, look at the games that we have coming up in the second half. I'm starting with this one, which might be the game of the week in the National Football League, could be. I mean, there are bangers the rest of the way. I mean San Francisco this week, home against the Titans next week, and all of a sudden, they've got a new quarterback. And then Stroud. Yeah, Stroud is in week twelve, arguably one of the hottest young quarterbacks. I mean, rookie sensation of the Houston Texans who beat this team, and they're five hundred now, all of a sudden, it sound like they're that far back in some ground. Joe Burrow on Monday Night football at Cleveland at Cleveland with arguably one of the best defenses in the National Football League and maybe the defensive player of the year. Let me tell you the weather in Cleveland, December tenth is always just beautiful. It's great in the boots to worry about that. December seventeenth, the Ravens here on Sunday Night, the highest point differential in the National Football League. That's Sunday Night football, Lamar Jackson. The best defense maybe in the National Football League, that the Baltimore Ravens. I mean, they might be playing the best football in the league right now. And then at Tampa Christmas Eve and then home. It is great. It's in the state. It's holiday. Tis enough. Panthers here, Bryce Young if he's still alive, then he's so skinny and playing well. You think that the Carolina fans are sitting there going we really screwed up. Yeah. Probably. And then the wrong guy at Tennessee in the last week of the season directions which, by the way, the two Tennessee games that are still left to be played. Rookie quarterback Will Levice, who for all accounts have watched him personally yet, but everybody's saying he's looked pretty good. So that is a stretch of nine games for this team and some really really good ones. But you can't get to the last eight before you get past the first one, and one step at a time, yes, and the first step is the San Francisco forty nine. Ers will get to really in depth in this game coming up in a little bit, But you know, it's a Jaguars team coming off the Bay. Let's start from the Jaguars perspective. First six and two. They won five games and five stadiums in four cities over a seven time zone stretch going into the bye week, which is unbelievable. By the way, congratulations on keeping all of that organized a lot, right, that's a lot, a lot of numbers, stadiums, yeah, seven, yeah, right, yeah. Now, the health of the team's getting better coming off another bye week. They had the mini buy. Of course, you hope that the one game, and it feels like it's trending the right way. You would hope it is. Coming off the full bye week. The one kind of question still, I mean, there's a few guys that were limited yesterday. We'll get to the injury report when it comes out a little later. But you would think the secondary guys that missed the game last time against Pittsburgh could be back with their hamstring issues, but they were gamed ay test test are outers okay in Pittsburgh official term, that's the official term. And they worked him out before the game to see how where they were at. And they decided that Tyson Campbell and Andre Cisco that they would exercise a little bit of caution and it worked out great. I mean, gave them an extra two weeks to heal before before returning to action, so it worked out perfectly. Walker Little is expected to be back. That's good news. Yeah, and he is if you look at it from one standpoint, just to give you a number, okay, pfs standpoint, he's the highest rated Jaguars offensive lineman. Now there's a limited amount of snaps that you can grade him at left guard, but he you know, hopefully he returns to the lineup, which will allow Shatley to be in a valuable backup swing position role at center or guard or whatever you know. And then the question is Ezra Cleveland where's he going to be at? By the way, he's our guest tonight on Jaguars all accent, All right, welcome to Jacksonville and come on the show. Yeah, so we're gonna have him on the show. Get to know him a little bit. He spent some time under Phil Rauscher in Minnesota, because that's where Phil Rauscher came from prior to coming here, the Jaguars offensive line coach, who, by the way, I think is one of the best offensive line coaches in football. And so there's some familiarity there, which is one of the reasons why I'm sure that they traded for Ezra Cleveland. On top of Oh, by the way, the more good players that we can get in front of sixteen, the better off we're going to be. And this is yeah, with the stretch run here, you need as many big bodies that have experience that can play in a pinch out there, and that's that was the reason for that deal. Moving ahead, happy too to see that Ben Bart's back on the practice squad. Yeah, you know a guy that you know. Look, he had a couple of years ago he was my most improved player. I thought he had a really good year two years ago than last year. He ended up sustaining the knee injury and then kind of comes back into the lineup this year really without a lot of reps and that's kind of a tough situation to be put in. Didn't play all that well, and then he's back on the practice squad. Let him get his feet back underneath of him, and you know, maybe at some point down the road he can be a player that you can depend on. And then the other question, other really big question at least is say Jones with a knee issue. He's been out more than he's been in this season. When he's been in, he's had some spectacular moments. A touchdown Week one, the touchdown in London against Buffalo in the back of the end zone. You know what he is in the red zone. You know what he is on third down. And maybe not a coincidence that the Jaguars have had red zone and third down issues early in this season, because they is a big piece of that puzzle. What was his practice status yesterday? I believe it was limited. I can of check that just out of curiosity, because I think a lot of people expected him to maybe be back before the bye. Didn't make it because he had the knee injury, and then he came back and played, and then all of a sudden he was inactive again. Obviously, maybe a setback of some kind. So you hope that he is able to play soon. But yes, yesterday and you know, we saw him in the open media time again today. He's getting the early work stuff done. Not sure exactly when practice really begins how much he's doing, but he was out there in the early warm up stages with Christian Kirk and Calvin Ridley off to the side. That's how they kind of normally start warming up. After that, who knows this offense has it has another gear with him, And what I mean by that is that I believe that they're much more dynamic with him on the field for a couple of reasons. One, he is a legitimate deep threat because they has speed to get past guys and to threaten the deep part of the field on defenses, and so that's a valuable aspect to have. On top of that, as Trevor has said repeatedly that Zay runs the best double move that this team has. You go back and you remember the touchdown, the last touchdown that he had. It was remember the game. I'm trying to remember the game that it was. He put the move on the guy and literally ran a little in route on the end zone and catches it. It was a thing of beauty. I want to say it was the last home game that we had that was here. I mean it was a Colts you may. I think it was the Colts beautiful move that he ran a little in route on and h for a short touchdown. He just and also I think he provides an energy for that, for that receiving group in the offense that that helps him out in a big way. And that's that's you know, look, you the more guys that had that, the better off yard. It was the Buffalo game in London, thank you for what it was. Yes, because he was an active the next because he got hurt in that game. Again, I think on that sideline route and never really was the same after that, and he's been active inactive that route. That route against Buffalo was fantastic, fantastic route. Hit him in the hand. The defender literally was frozen. I mean he literally didn't know what to do. I mean, that's how good of a route that Jay ran. And and the sooner that they can get him back, the better off that they're going to be because look, no offense to Agno. I liked him all agnew and I think there's a role for him with this offense. And it's more of those okay speed reverses, little quick screens and things like that. But down the field, that's Whereay's world is at and it opens up a lot for everyone else. So we'll see his status. Uh, maybe a little later today when they put out the injury report. May not be during while we're on the air. Actually they wait for the West Coast team and put it all out together. We'll keep you posted if we see it though. Jacks fans want customized Jaguars furniture for your home. Checkout zipchare dot com and browse all customizable options zip Chair furniture for fans. We're on ten to XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP Shadrick Jeff log about a Jaguars Happy Hour. We'll get to the Jags defense coming up in their matchup with a San Francisco forty nine ers offense that is chocked full of weaponry and they can move it all over the field. That's coming up in about fifteen minutes or so. Let's continue with this Jaguars offense. So logs and you know the issues they have found, at least in the by. They always kind of self scout during the bye week, and pretty much to a man in the locker room going into the by, they said, hey, we've got to stop giving the ball away because they led the league going into the by in fumbles lost. A lot of those were in the red zone, which was nine, by the way, right, nine of those towards the bottom of the league in red zone efficiency in terms of two twenty six third downs not great. Nope, Actually third down twenty fifth in the rankings. Not ideal. So fourth down another one that put into that mix, Jap. While we're talking about let's talk about the bat because they go for fourth down a lot, twenty seventh in the National Football League. I mean, those are areas that this offense needs to improve on. And I'll give you just one more to add to that mix. Okay, we're adding a long list. Okay, offensively, when you get the third and one and fourth and one, what do you got to be able to do to be able to convert by running the football? Yeah, sneak it, or I mean a lot of teams would sneak that right. Well, quarterback, look, if you want to run the quarterback push, okay, it's what the Eagles do, right, the brotherly shove, brotherly shove, whatever you want to call it, okay, or just flat out run the ball, get in a three point run a ball. The Jaguars offense is converting I wrote this number down at a rate of fifty seven point one percent when they run the ball on third and fourth and one. Okay, that's not a very good rate because the NFL league wide average is seventy one point three. So I mean you're you're off you know what, six fifteen, sixteen points somewhere in that range and or fourteen points somewhere in that range. That's not exactly where you want to be as an offense. And your third down conversion rates again twenty fifth okay, that goes to that number, okay, to keep drives moving, and also that fourth down conversion rate. So that's an area that I would like to see them get better at on top of the other ones as well. Obviously they're running the ball well. Etn's done very well this season in the ball twelve but you know, I know one thing in that I'll also add this. Okay, I'd like to see the yards per carry average go up. Now, Etn's been extremely dependable in the running game. Sometimes you don't have to have this fantastic number of okay, four point five yards of carry. I mean, for example, Okay, McCaffrey, arguably one of the best running backs in the league, is number one in the league in rushing. He's four point eight yards per carry. That'll play. Okay, Etn's at three point nine. So you'd love to see Etn's number get back up somewhere and above the four range, you know, four two four, three four four, somewhere in in that range. But McCaffrey, who the Jaguars are gonna face this week, Now, I mean, this guy is the real deal. And not only is he a running back, he's a excellent or he is an excellent back receiving back out of the backfield. And we'll get to how to really kind of scheme him if possible on the defense here in just a few moments. You know, the numbers for Trevor Lawrence this year don't jump off the page in terms of touchdowns and all that with four interceptions, that's fine, but you know nine touchdowns is that right? This year? A lot of that though, is hey, Travis Eatzen gets the ball down there close sometimes right, Well, yes, I had to do that. But the one thing I think about Trevor, look, I think he has been as solid as you could ask. For his numbers in the last five games, which obviously a five game winning streak, he is rating combined through those five games is over one hundred perfect. I mean that's almost perfect. That's winning, winning football. Okay, then interception ratio is very strong. Trevor I think has been really solid. But here's the thing. Just like we talk about the offense, I really believe that there's another level that Trevor can get to, and I think this week he may need to take it to another level higher against the forty nine ers defense. That yes, I understand that the last three games they haven't been on the mark, but overall, this is a really good forty nine ers defense, really good forty nine ers defense. It's going to challenge you at all three levels. And when you get challenged at all three levels, your quarterback has to be on point. And in another part of this whole equation. And I know we're going to get the matchup later on, but each tend the better he is, the easier it is for the quarterback, right, I mean, that's kind of always the case. The better the offensive line is a little bit easier, it makes it the job for the quarterback. So if Trevor is on the money this week, they win. Okay. If Trevor is not on the money this week, it gets to be pretty close game. I mean, it's going to be a tough game. To win. You gotta play well against a really good defense, and that's a defense in San Francisco that, oh, by the way, they got better in the bye week because they added a really good football player in Chase Show they did. And coming up in about fifteen minutes, we'll get into how to block those guys on the offensive line and where that begins the front seven for San Francisco on defense. Right there at the top of the National Football League Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. We're on tentionin XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube and back in a moment with Jaguars defensive talk and how do you slow down this forty nine ers attack with weapons all over the field. It is Jaguars Happy hour.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The buye is good for getting guys healthy, the rest, you know, clearing your mind and your head and and you know, but when you get back in it's it's you know, how do you maintain an edge, how do you maintain.
Speaker 3: You know, the ability to play for full quarters.
Speaker 4: Those are all things that that are that are real, you know, coming to coming out of a break, and those are the things that I'll be talking to the team about this week and and you know, in the next couple of weeks and and but it all starts, I think during the week of preparation, right in the practice and then doing little things, you know, uh, extra.
Speaker 3: Conditioning, getting in the weight room, training.
Speaker 4: Room, you know, all those little things, getting rest at night.
Speaker 3: You know, those are all big pieces to to how you.
Speaker 4: Play, not only coming out of the buy, but but I think as we move down.
Speaker 3: You know, the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: That's the head coach of course. Doug Peterson earlier this week and welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour. Brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. JP Shadwick and Jeff Logman from the Miller Electric Center the Hyundai Studios. We're on ten ten XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. And we'll hear more from the head coach coming up at five o'clock on the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network. Also quarterback Trevor Lawrence in a conversation from earlier this week, all right, let's get to this Jaguars defense now logs and we know what they are. They are very good against the run, that's their number one priority each and every week, bullyball. They are really good in the takeaway game, and they are number one in the league, in fact, tied for first now and takeaways with eighteen on the season. And those were two really of their stated goals at the start of the year. That's what they were at the end of last season. That's what they are now. The question, though, I have, is what's the next step. What does this defense have to do to be even better or do they have to be that much better? Are Are they good enough right now to carry this thing if the offense improves, well, yes, I mean they're good enough as long as they continue to get the takeaways. I mean that's really I think the great equalizer and makes defenses better than maybe what they are statistically. Credit the defense, though, I mean a big improvement from last year. And one of the big reasons why is that they've really dialed in a scheme that fits the players that they have, and that's playing more of a zone concept, Whereas last year they were trying to play a little bit more man and it just is kind of like a square peg in a round hole. And this year they're playing a lot of zone, and they're playing fast, they're staying on the same page together, and you can tell it that it's working out a lot better. The biggest improvement this year while the year has been in progress, has been the production on third down. You know, that's been a big improvement to where now they're a top five defense now with actually at the number five rating. But at the beginning of the year, we talked about it JP right here about what was the key to this defense in twenty twenty three because we felt that the pass rush was not quite ready to be primetime, and we said that they need to be jam up against the run, and they've termed it bullyball. Okay, they actively talk about that and they're playing bullyball. I mean, look at the ranking number three in the National Football League at stopping the run and then your yards per carry is fourth in the National Football League. I mean, those are the numbers that you wanted to see at the beginning of the year when we were having this conversation, because it's given them a chance to be able to play the pass without a dominant pass rush. It's a good pass rush because Josh Allen is one of the best pass rushers in the league right now. But if you look at it from the number standpoint, he has nine over half of the team's sixteen sacks, and that's a lot on one guy. Okay, and all of a sudden, Josh is negated. Okay, with extra attention which will be coming, Okay, then it's tougher for this defense to find somebody else to do that. But you know, I give Mike Caldwell and Bob Sutton a lot of credit. You know, Bob Sutton's a guy that probably doesn't get mentioned a lot. Mike Caldwell's name obviously is banning about a lot because he's the defensive coordinator, and he's done a fantastic job. He's grown a lot in his second year, and I think he's really started to understand what his defense does well and the experience that he gained the first year of being a coordinator. He's done a great job. And Bob Sutton has been I think a sounding board for Mike Caldwell, but also he's also been one of those guys that the voices in the background that's been preaching the turnovers, the takeaways, you know, sending group text out the entire defense at odd times of the day, about thinking about the takeaways, you know, keeping track of it during the course of the week and practices and charting it of how many times that they force a takeaway in practice and seeing how the awareness and the attention to that detail and practice has been carrying over in a game has been fantastic for this defense. Bob Sutton has been in coaching since nineteen seventy two. Long time. He was a grad assistant in Michigan nineteen seventy two under Bochemba crazy. That's when he started. He was on the coach at Army for a long time, and a former defensive coordinator in Kansas City for a number of years. Yeah, all over the he's been a few different places. Obviously New York Jets. I think he was a defensive coordinator under Andy Reid. Yeah, that's right, not too long ago in Kansas City thirteen through eighteen, for a long time. So he's in the building for the Jags for sure. All right. So stopping the run and saying it is one thing, and executing it is quite another. Jaguars have done that so far. However, this week you're facing Christian McCaffrey and the number one rushing attack, at least by number one rushing total. He's the number one rusher in the NFL this year by yardage. But he's not just that. He's a receiver. He can line up in the slot, he can line up outside, he can motion in, he can line up in the eye if you need you. They have a full back. This guy does everything for them. How do you slow him down? How do you beg gain? Well? First off, Kyle Shanahan's offense is about running the football. It starts right there. Okay. He loves the zone runs and then the play action is all built off of the success of the running game. And if you remember JP, let's go back to twenty seventeen when this Jaguars team was really good on defense, travel to San Francisco to take the take on the forty nine Ers Christmas Eve, and that was a wood shed game. They beat the heck out of that ten for forty nine Ers beat the heck out of the Jaguars at twenty seventeen, which was one of the best defenses period in Jaguars history. And the reason why is Kyle Shanahan. That got the run game going and then the play action was just, you know, just smooth right after that and Jags Jaggs gave up forty four points in that game. I got whooped forty four to thirty three, I mean got crushed. And that was that was a Kyle Shanahan's offense at its best, okay. And what he loves to do is there's a lot of shifts and a lot of motions. In fact, they shift or motion at the highest percentage rate in the National Football League, nearly eighty percent. So what they do that for, it's kind of window dressing one who's Miami's probably number one with all that pre snap kind of weird wide receiver out motion counts. Yeah, I don't know if they are or not. I bet they're up there. But when you have a lot of that motions and shifts, it challenges your communication, okay, because once an offense shifts or motions, the defense has to be able to adjust. Okay, they're adjusting. Things change, maybe the coverage will shift or whatever, or strength may change, and so everybody has to be on the same page. So this week I think it will be a big game for Foyier to be able to handle some of those shifts and those motions and get everybody on the same page. The communication and then back end is going to be important as well. But what they like to do with all the shifts and motions, it's not a complicated offense, but with his shifts in the motions, it makes it appear to be complicated because you're seeing things. You're not really paying attention to what it ends up being. You're too busy worrying about where's this guy, where are they at? Are we making sure that we're making the right checks and everything and that makes it a little bit challenging. But Kyle Shanahan again to go back to the foundation of it, running game play action, running game play action. You stop the running game, you got a great chance of stopping their offense and its entirety, because then all of a sudden, you put more pressure on a quarterback that is young, that likes to have the comfort zone of the play action, doesn't like to have to be dropping back all the time. And I think you, all of a sudden, you increase your chances of success greatly if you can stop their running game of McCaffrey and you got big bodies up front. We'll see if Trent Williams goes. He's been on the Interury Report again this week. The left tackle who's been in the league now fourteen years and made a whole thirty eight years old. Amazing, he was still playing really, really well. And then tight end George Kittle, Yes, we see him a lot as a receiver down the field, but pound for pound as a blockers blocking tight end, he's got to be. In fact, we were talking to that about that earlier today and that when you turn the film on, I don't think there's a better tight end in football for a Kyle Shanahan's offense than George Kittle. And the reason I say that he is an exceptional blocker, a willing blocker, but then also a really good receiver. I mean last week in there or two weeks ago in their game against Cincinnati, which they lost, he had nine catches for like one hundred and forty nine yards and then they were down the field stuff. I mean, he's a he's a good football player, I mean a really good football player. I like his game and he's going to be a challenge for the Jaguars to handle. But the forty nine ers offense overall, they've got a great amount of weapon because you have McCaffrey, you have Kittle, you have Ayuk who has the third highest yards per catch average in the National Football League, and then you're getting Deebo Samuel back from the hairline fracture in the shoulder. Will they get Trent Williams back as yet to be seen, but if they do, that's that makes it a tougher matchup for Josh Allen because if Josh Allen could go against a backup Jalen Moore, Jalen Moore has given up I think in a couple of games the same amount of pressures that Trent Williams was giving up in like the previous six games. Yeah, so I mean that will help the Jaguars chances of success plenty more ahead the Jaguars offensive line, how do they handle the front seven? For the San Francisco forty nine ers. We're gonna get answers out of U logs. I got them, you do, I got them. We need to walk down the hall and give him down there. I'm sure they might have trust to Doug doesn't want to hear in my hands, So we'll hear from Doug Peterson coming up at five o'clock and the Doug Peterson Show. PRR Productions, the official event production company of the Jail, has everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit PRI Productions dot com and Jaguars Happy Hour has brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving.
Speaker 5: I think the difficult part of it is that they're both just they're both great players, so that's what makes it hard. I don't think you know, of course, there's gonna be things that you might have to adjust to in the game, and you're kind of guessing on where they're gonna play, what they're gonna do, which side they're gonna play on, you know, so you don't really know that stuff, but that's something you adjust early. I think from a planning perspective, you kind of you go into it. We've played some good edge guys this year and uh Pittsburgh being an example of that, so we're used to having plans for that, but now it's a new guy with Nick, and obviously Nick's a great player and chases too. So at the end of the day, you gotta you gotta win your matchups. You gotta be able to block them. We gotta help, gotta help our tackles, we gotta get the ball out, we gotta run the ball great, all those things. That's kind of what helps. But the end of the day, you got to go block them. And when it's two ends, you kind of know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: They gotta pick a.
Speaker 5: Side and they're gonna rush and they're gonna, you know, play with instincts and those guys are good players.
Speaker 1: That's quarterback of course. Trevor Lawrence earlier this week discussing the edge players for the San Francisco forty nine Ers Jaguars Happy I brought to you by the Same Time's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. The full press conference from Trevor available on Jaguars YouTube. Why are you laughing? Just the energy? I mean, it is worth saving. I'm just trying to I love it is just you know, you just bring a level of energy. I just I appreciate you because it's worth it. Yeah, I'm glad you say bring that energy because it is worth it. It certainly is uh and it's worth going to check out Trevor's press conference. We'll hear from Trevor Lawrence coming up in the Doug Peterson Show. I caught up with him after practice on Wednesday, and a big week for him and this offense. He touched on it. There the challenge of this defensive line for the San Francisco forty nine ers. Certainly, the edge guys are notable. Nick Bosa is right there at the top of the league in quarterback hits. May not have the big sack total. In fact, this San Francisco team only has two more sacks than the Jaguars defense eighteen for the season. But let's start up front with Bosa and then you add Chase Young on the other side, and on their depth chart he is listed as a starter. On the other side opposite Nick Bosa, they roll in some other guys. Their interior guys have numbers as well. So where do you start here with this front for San Francisco slowing them down? Well, you got you just gotta block them, I mean, because there's four guys across the front that are all legitimate studs for real. Nick Bosa's is one of the best players. I mean, look his numbers because remember he had a significant knee injury I think it was a couple of years ago, and he missed a bunch of times. Yeah, that's right, ends up coming back, and so you look at his numbers. He's has forty six career sacks. Okay, forty six career sacks. Think about that because he the exact same year as Josh Allen. Okay, Josh Allen has thirty six and a half. Okay, But Nick Bosa has missed a significant amount of playing time. He has in those with those forty six sacks, it got him in fifty nine games. I mean The guy's a machine when it comes to sack in the quarterback. So he's an excellent player. Chase Young's numbers in his career aren't that great. He's been hurt a lot, but his numbers this year are pretty good, okay, And he was what the defensive rookie of the year his first year in Washington, a tremendous player. Then you put those two guys, okay, and then put in the middle between him Hargrave, who they got from Philadelphia, who last year had an excellent year in Philadelphia. I think double double digit sacks for the Eagles last year. I think the year before that he was closer approaching double digit sacks than then. Eric Armstead, who is a DeForest Buckner, long armed, big defensive tackle, disruptive. I mean, there's four really good football players in the mix here. They roll in kin Law, Randy Gregory's on this team, Cleveland Farrell's a first round pick in the pash at Farrells, you know. But I mean, if those are your rotational guys, that's that's a good that's a good rotation, you know, really good rotation. A lot of teams have him, Randy Gregory and Cleveland Ferrell as rotational guys. And then Ken Law, who is a former first round pick inside even though he's been largely a disappointment in his career. He has had a ton of injuries. South Carolina guy. Physically, I mean, you know, imposing, he's kind of like Eric Armstead, you know, six foot six, two hundred and ninety some odd pounds, I mean, just a giant of a man. But he just hasn't had the productivity. Ken Law, his first former first round pick, only has like one and a half career sacks. I mean that number is not very good, you know, but this is a really good defense. And then all of a sudden and we talk about the front. But then okay, uh fred Fred Warner the middle linebacker is right up there amongst the best middle linebackers in football with Foyer Lucan in my opinion. And then on the back in Havanga, the safety is a really good player, Pro Bowl player last year. And then right beside him his former Jaguar for three years, to Sean Gibson who has over thirty career interception. I mean, this is a good this is a good defense at all three levels. But there's a little bit of uncomfort uncomfortableness in San Francisco with this defense. Uncomfortability, uncomfortableness, discomfort, Yeah, that's the world you go, I do, we'd find it. But there's a little bit of discomfort, you know, because remember they lost their defensive coordinator from last year, who, by the way, is in Houston and I think is a really good young head coach in this league. And Demico Ryans. The defense had a swagger last year in San Francis and they've got a new defensive coordinator and Steve Wilks okay who was former interim head coach Carolina, and for whatever reason, they just don't have that swagger that they have. And so in the bye week, Kyle Shanahan talked openly about maybe having Wilkes come from the booth or leave the booth and come down to the field to be in more of a direct line of communication with the players and the linebackers, and so that's what they're going to be doing this week. So whenever you're in mid season and you start doing some of these adjustments like they're doing with their coach, moving them from the booth to the field, then there is a level of discomfort and they're not satisfied with where the productivity is at or the energy is at on the defensive side of the ball. So you know, it would be great if you can start fast just to kind of still kind of leave a little bit of that doubt in their minds as a defense. Start fast meanings you have the lead. And they've had the lead in certainly in this win streak five in a row for the majority of the time, they've trailed for only seven minutes ten seconds in the last five games the Jaguars have So when you play either in a tie game or with the lead, and Doug Peterson talked about it, and I'm sure we'll ask him about it in the second hour. You know, you add all these field goals all of a sudden from fifty plus and you're playing with maybe it might be a six point lead, but it's a can be a different feel with Hey have that advantage. Hey, you get a six point league. You have a six point league going into the fourth quarter. I'm feeling really good about this game. Right There was a number that it shocked me, I mean shocked me, shocking, shocking staut of the day. Hold your horses, Hey, the forty nine Ers. Okay under Shanahan. Okay, when they're trailing by three points or more entering the fourth quarter, their record out of thirty one game, I'd say they have a winning rec. Later they're in five hundred, they're one and thirty. Really, that's crazy, that's disgusting. I mean it's when I read it, I was like, oh my god, how is that possible? The forty nine ers. Let me repeat this, The forty nine Ers are one in thirty when trailing by more than three points entering the fourth quarter under Kyle Shanahan. That is shocking. And it just goes to show you. We talked earlier about what this offense is about. Okay, running the ball, play action. When a team gets behind, what typically what kind of offense do they typically now start to execute? You start throwing it right, throwing it moving down the field, passing game, you start changing it up right to catch up right. Well, that's not their comfort zone. That's that's not the forty nine ers way of playing offense. They're their way of playing offenses, running the ball and play action. And that's why if you can get a little bit of a lead late in the ball game, put the forty nine ers in a position to where they're not in their comfort zone. I think it would put them in a tough, tough position. And because that number, I think says a lot. And brock Perdy, if you look at his performance in the last three games, all of his interceptions that he has, which is five on the year, have come in these last three games. Then he also has lost a fumble. He's had six giveaways in the three losses that they have had going into the bye week. So you got to try to keep his rhythm in disarray. And the way you do that is that you play bully ball, okay, jaguar style of football on defense, stop the run, stop McCaffrey, and then do a heck of a job of putting a lot of pressure on a quarterback that does not like to do anything but do the play action stuff. Now here's the other thing. This is another number I was shocked about. Shocking. You're shocked about a lot of things. Okay, brock Perdy. By the way, who is mister irrelevant from last year's draft? So pretty interesting. You got a battle of the first overall pick from three years ago and then last year's mister irrelevant Okay, Purty is not money in the fourth quarter. Okay rock Perty's numbers in the fourth quarter. His completion percentage drops ten percent, Okay drops ten percent. His rating drops in the fourth quarter thirty points. Okay, has more interceptions in the fourth quarter than the combined interceptions in the first, second, and third quarters. That's that's not good. That's when you want your quarterback to play above that is right, and that he's not at its best in the fourth quarter, and Kyle Shanahan's offense is not at its best. If they don't have a lead in the fourth quarter, Okay, well let's hold them to that. Find a way to get a lead in the beginning of the fourth quarter. If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, then no further than Ford f one point fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate workplay and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local Ford dealer partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars plenty ahead, including the injury report not released today yet, will review yesterday's officially. Then at five o'clock the Doug Peterson Show, we'll hear from the Jaguars head Coach coming up, and of course Jaguars Happy Hours brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. Welcome back is Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logman from the Hyundai Studios at the Miller Electric Center. We're on tenon Excel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube ahead of the San Francisco forty nine Ers and the Jacksonville Jaguars one o'clock off time at the Bank the game presented by Baptist Health this Sunday, we'll get to the injury report coming up. But also a reminder that on Tuesday, November fourteenth, that's coming up next Tuesday. It is coming Tuesday, Yes, this coming to look at the calendar, it is November five to six pm. Tuesday, November fourteenth, head to Publics at University Square and meet Jacksonville Jaguars players for a special appearance from five to six pm. That's the Publics twenty eight to seventy five University Boulevard. That's the University and Saint Augustine Road, Lakewood area, just south of San Marco. Right there. Go there. Sometimes if I'm doing big shopping, that's a massive publix. Yeah, and that's the one off Tuesday November fourteenth, five to six pm to meet members of the Jaguars. Very cool. Another event coming up the tailgate with Tony Sunday November nineteenth, the head of the Titans Jaguars matchup Beselli and Jaguars Legends. Two different levels of all inclusive tickets. It benefits. It's the Bisselli Foundation, So visit Bissellifoundation dot com for more and use the code Tony seven to one for seventy one dollars tickets ten o'clock before the game. In two weeks time Titans Jaguars matchup. That's a Next Sunday, not this Sunday. Correct, Next Sunday, which is the upcoming game against the Tennessee Titans. Yes, they're in the AFC South correct, correct A got a new quarterback playing right now? They do. We'll collect that game next week. Yes. Let's take a look now officially at the injury report presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Nothing out today yet. Yesterday it was announced around six forty pm, so we might be a couple hours away from the official announcement from the Jaguars PR staff for today. But yesterday, let's review you. Sirrabdulah was ill yesterday did not outside linebacker cornerback Tyson Campbell safety Andre Cisco Both were limited with hamstring issues, as was safety Daniel Thomas. Limited yesterday with a hamstring issue. Greg Junior Full coming off a hamstring injury, his window opened a couple of weeks ago to get back to work. The cornerback could be back, We'll see how the week goes for him. Also limited with an e issue. Z A Jones with a tow issue. The new offensive lineman Ezra Cleveland limited yesterday. Also, those are the injuries for the Jaguars. Trent Williams, the tackle for San Francisco, did not practice Wednesday with an ankle issue he's been battling. We'll see how that progresses as the week moves along. Wide receiver Deebo Samuel the shoulder issue was full, Drake Greenlaw the linebacker full with the shoulder issue. Two other players did not practice Raydray McLeod the wide receiver and guard Aaron Banks Drake Jackson defensive end, and Banks is a big one. I mean, that's that's starting left guard. So you're if Trent Williams doesn't go, Aaron Banks doesn't go, So the entire left side of the forty nine Ers offensive line is going to be backups. And look, Trent Williams is an elite player. I mean there's no around and getting around that. He's a really good football player, one of the top four or five tackles I think in the league still even at the age of I think he's almost thirty eight, is he not? Ky? Yeah, I mean he's been around for a long time. But the forty nine Ers offensive line is not great. That's one part of their offense that I think is that has gone down a little bit. Look, they lost a starting right tackle from last year in free agency and mckivitz is now the right tackle. But that's I think that's a matchup the Jaguars need to take advantage of in this ball game. I like that, especially especially if Trent Williams doesn't play. I mean Josh Allen, I mean Josh I might have to wear he might have to wear a bib come out to play that ball game. If he's got to back up, he's gonna be drooling, can't wait. You know, players always talk about, you know, feasting on absolutely on the game in the moment. There you go, man, that's all you can eat buffet. Well, the backup, that would be nice, certainly. Hey, this Saturday, the Jaguars are releasing the second installment of the Lafov collaboration. You can purchase at the Miller Electric Center Jaguars pro shops starting at ten am, and if you donate to the Tide Clothing Drible on site, you'll receive a commemorative Jaguars Lafav poster while supplies last. We did a deep dive into the proper pronunciation did. We did some research into exactly we promised we were going to say that term. I promised I did too, and I do it out of just let it slip spite sometimes. But whatever, the proper pronunciation is lafav. That's what we were told and it's very reliable source. It goes back to a French origins, right, sure, you heard it right. Sounds French to me. But some of the stuff that he has, Okay, that Lafov has is fantastic people. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Some of the coolest, hippest stuff that's out there. The second drop on Saturday, the official new era lafav hat and white white polo with the ninety five logo on it. Socks if you're into that. He's got shorts that are killer. So you know, you might want to come early and get in line. Let's put it that way. So that stuff's coming up. Hey, you know what else is coming up is Doug Peterson, head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguar, is coming up at five o'clock on the Doug Peterson Show about five minutes from right now. We'll get his thoughts coming out of the bye week and trying to get this offense. They're middle of the pack statistically in total offense and rushing and passing in fact fourteenth and all of those, but situationally they have left some things out there, third downs, red zone. How do you improve that? Moving ahead? The health of the team's a little bit better overall, and we'll see what the head coach says about all of that. Certainly on the offensive side, he's got to be pleased with the defense has done so far. Well yeah, and also please with the defense's health. I mean, this defense, you got Devon Hamilton back, you got Smoot back. Okay, you're getting Tyson Campbell back, Cisco's coming back. Everybody seems to be healthy. This is this defense ought to be in a really good place. But I've always wondered a head coach has approached to getting a team that really kind of had a had an edge prior to the bye week, how do you go about making sure that that edge is retained coming back after the bye week, Because that's not an easy thing to do. You know, you you get an old mindset as a player, and you know, Okay, Monday you do this, Tuesday you do that, Okay, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sat. Then Sunday. You know you're getting your mind, you know, ready for that big day. You know, you got to get back into that flow, back into that rhythm because you know, you had four consecutive days off and hopefully the players took advantage of it from from getting a rest treatment, getting their bodies back getting their mind back and being being right. So hopefully this team can keep on rolling. It takes time to build that, I mean because when the Jags left here after week three to go to London, I would say they didn't have an edge, like they had just gotten smoked by the Texans. Well, they were still trying to kind of figure things out. You know, they didn't have an edge, and they were it almost looked like they weren't having fun playing the game. You know, there wasn't that energy. And then they found the energy at Wembley, and then it's just been, you know, been kind of continuing and I don't want to say necessarily building, but to some extent, yes, growing and insensively. I think that energy has been building. Then all of a sudden they go to Pittsburgh and they're waving towels of their face, well and looks. I still believe that this offense can really make significant strides, and this defense has been making the strides. Still got a lot of room defensively to grow, and I think this offense definitely has a couple levels that they can attain still yet this year. Because they were talking remember at the start of the year, hey, thirty points a game is doable, right and what are they twenty four game right now? It's somewhere in that ballpark. What the offense Jags offense? Yeah, I mean in the last what I've heard many games it is. But you know, I think Trevor put it right. And he said this, and I wrote this down because I think he's dead on the money. He said, it would be nice to put those together against a good team like this. This is the week to do it. You got to play well against great teams. And what he was talking about about, you know, putting together third down production, protecting the football, all the things that they're not doing great right now as an offense, putting those things together, making them happen, and then seeing what that looks like. And this will be a really good week to start to get that ball rolling on the offensive side of the ball, no doubt about that. Hope you can make it out to the bank. On Sunday. One o'clock is the kickoff time. Will be on the air with the Public's Tailgate Show here in Jacksonville at ten am and then at twelve unit's Countdown to Kickoff on the Jaguars Radio Network. It's alumni weekend, homecoming weekend, the whole deal. Looking forward to seeing some of the guys. Yeah, and and by the way, can we send an email to the San Francisco forty nine Ers PR department because they on their press release got the stadium name wrong. Okay, let's have a little respect for Jacksonville. Okay, okay the opening line of the forty nine Ers release. The San Francisco forty nine Ers return to action this week as they travel to Tiaa Bank Field to take on the Jacksonville Jaguars. I mean they are like four time zones away time travels, like the Pony Express or something. I mean, I don't really. Hey, let's get the name. I'm of the stadium, right, Okay, it's not that hard. Well, but we're back in a moment. Jaguars Radio Network Covers begins with the Doug Peterson Show. We'll hear from the Jaguars head coach and quarterback Trevor Lawrence. Thank you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.