Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the trend Body Problem or just trend.
Speaker 2: Is there the on the front of it?
Speaker 3: Not on the TV show? No, No, it's just it's just trend Body Problem.
Speaker 2: Trend Body Problem is the name of the show on Netflix. I feel like it would have been on HBO on a previous lifetime, but.
Speaker 3: I feel like it should have been you know.
Speaker 1: Reasons, reasons. My name is Jack. That over there is Brian, the editor. His last name is the editor. Yes, and these are some of the things that are trending. I mean the three Body Problem, three Body Problem is trending.
Speaker 2: That show is now out.
Speaker 3: I think it was at least briefly number one on the Netflix what can laughingly be referred to as.
Speaker 1: Charts the charts, but briefly number one does not hit make They've definitely been canceling some shows that were briefly number one, So.
Speaker 2: Honestly, yeah, I kind of loved doing that ship.
Speaker 3: I loves canceling. It's a popular show after the first season.
Speaker 2: I have not seen it yet.
Speaker 1: I have read the first two and a half books of the trilogy. I've read, I've gotten into the third one and just lost moment the yeah, momentum, I'll say the whole word. I lost the whole damn word of momentum.
Speaker 2: Have you read did you read the whole trilogy?
Speaker 3: I read, I read the whole series and part of that, part of that fan fic that came out after. But yeah, yeah, it's it's a doozy. I have opinions. It's not it's not not perfect series, but man, the the high concept sci fi is top notch. Characters not so much, but yeah, good stuff. If you like sci fi.
Speaker 2: The show follows through your expectation.
Speaker 3: The show is a So I started watching the tencent version. They made a Chinese TV adaptation, and it's like the season is like thirty episodes and it's just covering the first book, and I have almost no patience for that, like something that's so drawn out, and I'm like, I might as well watch fucking anime if I'm gonna do that. But this this is a little more you know, palatable as far as like length. It's eight episodes, which is difficult to adapt. It's already difficult to adapt a book or a series. But yeah, I think they made some smart choices and you know, in adapting it for a Western audience who probably hasn't read the books or is even into like hard sci fi. You know, they added a little bit of character to it. They presented all the elements that you need to be aware of going forward. They set up the stuff they needed to set up, and I think it was pretty smartly done. Yeah, it's like, you know, I feel like it could have done with a little more budget or time, but.
Speaker 2: Little XO a little less Netflix.
Speaker 3: It looks like a Netflix show, Netflix in this current era where they don't really actually have the money to be dumping like a shit zillion dollars into each project like they did five six years ago. But it's it's effective that that's all I'll say. It's effective at getting the the concepts across. But it's obviously not a book. You know, there's gonna be some some simplifications and some some things left out. But it's definitely worth a watch. I burned through it over the weekend. It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Nice, all right, Well that's a pre I we'll probably eventually watch it and covered on the show.
Speaker 2: But it's cool show.
Speaker 1: Definitely as somebody who's interested in, like, you know, possibilities of first contact. It has an interesting, some interesting ideas on what that could look like.
Speaker 3: Some yeah, some pants shittingly interesting ideas.
Speaker 2: Sometimes yeah yeah, yeah, they're not nice. They're not nice. It turns out all right. Other things that are trending.
Speaker 1: Another mega candidate or Republican candidate, I guess, I don't know if they were explicitly mega, but a Republican candidate lost a special election in al Alabama to quote Forrest Gump in Bama.
Speaker 2: In Bama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so some people are concerned about that and think maybe this is sign of things to come.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: The Democrats successfully made the election about abortion, though one could argue the Republicans successfully made the election about abortion by overturning Row. But it's uh, yeah, it continues to be. The Republicans continue to have that problem of their values being wildly unpopular. You know, as we talked about with Sarah Marshall, the pro life movement is pretty young, and it rests on a foundation of dust.
Speaker 2: There's not a whole lot there.
Speaker 3: They have a real boner for taking the same l over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: And it's the only thing that gives them a boner. Weirdly, yeah, unfortunately for them, which is another part of the problem. Yeah, they can only get weird boners, they can't get normal ones. That that makes a matt makes an old guy angry. All right, Harvard is getting rid of its book bound in human skin.
Speaker 2: This is one of those stories that they woke man. This is one of those stories that just pisses me off. You can't even.
Speaker 3: Find a book in human skin anymore without these fucking di initiatives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they probably shouldn't have announced this. They probably should have just done it maybe a century ago.
Speaker 3: This is a streisand effect type thing where I'm like, I didn't even know you guys had books bound in skin, but.
Speaker 1: Well they had to put it in the most like corporate speak possible by being like, what did they say? After careful study, stakeholder engagement, and consideration, Harvard Library in the Harvard Museum Collections Returns committee concluded that the human remains used in the books binding no longer belong in the Harvard Library Collections that.
Speaker 3: Is inhuman All you have to say is, yo, what the fuck is this book? This is real?
Speaker 2: What the exists?
Speaker 3: Special leather.
Speaker 1: Origin story of the book is that somebody wrote a book about souls. A doctor friend of theirs then quote bound the book with skin from the body of an unclaimed female patient who had died of natural causes. Who knows what their definition of a female patient dying of natural causes was at that time, but his reasoning was a book about the human soul deserved to have a human covering. Alternate perspective on that might be then a book about the human soul might deserve a covering that isn't an affront to all laws of the human soul and like horror movie logic and ethics and humanity. That's I don't know, or you could say, well, a book about human souls, so you got to have human skin on it. Just a weird, weird perspective from somebody.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's it's particularly ghoulish. And I don't know. I'm guessing this person didn't have a whole lot of like friends or anybody around him to tell him that that's weird and you probably shouldn't bind books in human leather. No, it's what do you think human leather feels like?
Speaker 1: I'm guessing it's like, hmm, waxy is what I is. How I've been imagining it since I've been reading about this story like waxy and dry, and.
Speaker 3: Do you think they have to like moisturize it periodically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a lot of the sarave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, hey, go loop up the special so we.
Speaker 1: Gotta lotion this bitch down. Yeah, it's just such a so Harvard's been sitting on this one for a while. They in twenty fourteen they confirmed that the book was bound in human skin, uh, and have now decided no longer belongs the library.
Speaker 2: It's it's just so like harfect question, So is this is this.
Speaker 3: A book that you can go to the library and and take out as a like a student or whatever the fuck like one of their private Is this in the private.
Speaker 2: Collect private stock?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like like the library that they have at the Vatican where it's like, oh, we have all these books, but no one can fucking see them.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This is just for people coming to the Harvard Collection museum, the Harvard Museum collections, and also for people presumably and like the secret Harvard fraternities that like do summoning spells and jack off into the skull of Geronimo or whatever, you know, whatever the Harvard equivalent. I think that was Yale or Princeton that Jack's off in like next to the dead body of Geronimo. But I you know, Harvard probably has their own analogue of thing to Jack off into to just make sure that you're you're completely untethered by the bounds of good taste that the rest of us concern ourselves with, so that you know you're a real Harvard man. Anyways, Harvard said that their handling of the book was often inappropriate, employing a sensationalistic, morbid, and humorous tone. So we don't we don't have the details on that just yet, but if they're coming out and being like, not only do we have this book bound in human skin, but we were like kind of like dicks about it. The way we referred to it and like talked about it, so our bad and we can move on correct.
Speaker 3: The way they talk about this, the words they have chosen to use are soap. But it's like we're now we're going to try and give the binding a respectful disposition. Yes, you mean regular binding. You're gonna bind it like a regular just like speak normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything is written like it is, uh, you know, being written by somebody by Harvard.
Speaker 2: If Harvard became a sentient. A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the human remains will be given a respectful disposition that seeks to restore dignity to the woman whose skin was used. Yeah, Harvard, Harvard's got secrets that I'm sure we'll just you know, we'll hear about in the coming centuries. Uh and be like good God, the siege. Yeah, yeah, all right, Yeah, we'll be right back. We're gonna go seege Harvard. We'll be back after these messages, and we're back. And I think we mentioned at one point that Jerry Seinfeld is making his directorial debut with a movie about pop tarts, and I didn't quite know what that could mean, like what was that going to be? And then the trailer dropped for it, and I still don't know if my brain can quite wrap itself around what he's going for here, Like.
Speaker 2: What this movie is.
Speaker 1: It's like part one of those like movies like The Founder, but then it's also part like a Zucker Brothers like fantastical like slapstick comedy, but also it has like vibes.
Speaker 2: Of a Ron Howard Doctor Seuss movie, Like yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Like this element of like whimsy and staginess to it that is really really I can't overstate how off putting the tone of.
Speaker 2: The film really feels weird.
Speaker 3: It's it's upsetting to me.
Speaker 1: He seems like this also feels related to me because so his origin story for this was, I was stuck at home watching endless sad faces on TV. I thought this would be a good time to make something based on pure silliness, and so we took my pop tart stand up bit from my last Netflix special, which we all loved and adored and.
Speaker 3: Watched and so I totally knew existed, yes, and.
Speaker 1: Exploded it into a giant, crazy comedy movie. I think I have seen his pop tart stand up bit, and it's like the shape is the same as the box.
Speaker 2: It's square.
Speaker 1: Like the fact that pop tarts are like tangular is seen as like weird by him. I don't I don't quite understand it, but anyways, it does feel like him being like hard.
Speaker 2: To look at all these sad faces on.
Speaker 1: TV just feels like it's coming from the same place as that Imagine video.
Speaker 2: Say that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, you're so fucking out of with reality that Yeah, look, I mean, I guess I will give him just the like the modicum of grace here and say, like it will seem like it's coming from like a genuine place, But this is also a man who is completely out of touch with reality.
Speaker 1: It looks completely unhinged in the like and I mean that in the best way possible.
Speaker 3: Like it's got baz Lerman levels of unhingedness, but it's it's Jerry Seinfeld, who, despite being an actor for decades, has never gotten any better at it. And this is his directorial debut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I think he is a fine comedic act I've been watching real like signed rewatching old episodes of Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: I love Seinfeld the show. But he's not a good actor.
Speaker 1: No, he's not a good actor, but he's exactly as good as he needs to be for like some of the stuff that he's like written with Larry David. But so in this world, food mascots like the Quaker Oaths Guy and Snap Crackle and pop are real somehow, And we also see the pop tart testing process involves fatal explosions. There's at least one cgi anthropomorphic pop tart, although who knows, like that could be a dream sequence, as we've seen in snow Dogs and other films that promise a rapping kangaroo, say kangaroo jack, and then you know, uh, don't deliver on that. But this, this one seems completely unhinged, and uh, I'm just a strange.
Speaker 3: This smacks of private equity. Like, fuck, every single one of these movies going forward, I'm not going to engage with this like any like story they're just taking. They've literally run through every other like actual narrative based prop. They've made every fucking comic book a movie, and now they're doing fucking Bob Dylan and the Beatles and pop tarts and I'm not here for it at all.
Speaker 2: I'm here now.
Speaker 3: Look, I know you can't help yourself. I'm going to not. I mean, it's gonna pretend all this stuff doesn't exist, because yeah, like this is just I Like, I'm from La, I'm own many filmmakers and writers who are struggling to get to get their their actual original stories, and and this is what they've decided to do, uh instead, because it has like cultural cachet or something like people have heard of it, so it's woefully effective. I'll give them that it works. I've heard of pop tarts, so I'll go see this pop Tarts movie. I'm not blaming the people. I'm just like, this is gross by Ghostie. You will walk to your laptop and press play. This isn't even going on the server. I'm not Wow, No, I'm not. I'm not entertaining this one. Iota yeah. Have but everybody else have.
Speaker 1: Fun with the pop tart movie, all right, everybody else have fun with drones. Door Dash has added drones to drone to livery to its menu in some places. So I haven't seen this anywhere. I feel like it's going to really be an upsetting experience the first time I see a drone, hear a drone, because you'll hear them before you see them, is what I'm told by people who've been attacked by them.
Speaker 3: Then you.
Speaker 1: The first time I hear a drone roaring through the sky to drop off like a basket of wings and fries, it's gonna be like even more upsetting than seeing a like fucking cyber truck on the street.
Speaker 2: It's just like, what this sucks? Right, Like this is gonna suck.
Speaker 3: The thing about like drone delivery in certain circumstances makes perfect sense, especially depending on the drone like rural areas you know, like you need like an insulin drop in the middle of fucking nowhere. God can be really effective like medical related things. But I'm like, this is just to like, I'm the logistics of flying this, you know, it's not it's not a little dji thing like it has to carry stuff, so it's gonna be pretty decently sized. It's going to be loud, and it's gonna be buzzing around under Like the FAA doesn't allow you to fly these things over four hundred feet, so it's gonna be relatively low to the ground.
Speaker 1: And I'm just dos of these coming down just Avenue New York City like it's maybe it won't maybe I don't know it just has anybody seen these, Like we have these like little wheelly guys that are like delivery bots that are, you know, always rolling around the streets of Los Angeles. You see them like probably once or twice a day. I've only pass them in my car. I haven't like had to walk past them. I feel like they just look so easy to kick over, you know. But I'd be curious to hear from anybody who has seen a drone delivery and just like what the experience is like what's the what's your impressionistic take of like, you know, seeing a door dash delivery drone like buzzing through the sky.
Speaker 3: Like I'm just trying to picture it because I've worked at like restaurants before, and I'm like, Okay, let me picture myself working at Chipotle and it's like, okay, I'm there, I'm making the fucking burrito and then I go out to like the helipad in the parking lot and look like I'm just like, how what are the nuts and bolts of this? How does this work in you know, a major city for something as trivial as like food, Like it makes a lot more sense for medical applications for like other things. But I'm just like people just flippantly ordering like onion rings and a milkshake. I'm like, yes, I don't know. It just seems like a lot when probably a scooter would suffice. But then you have to pay people. That's it. That's what this is all for, is they don't want to pay people to deliver this stuff because they have to like live, Yeah, but they're trying.
Speaker 1: They're trying, yeah, and it'll just be flying through the sky taking out birds, you know, like accidentally dropping, Like You'll just be walking down the street and a fry will like drop on your head.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm sure it's gonna be a very, very weird future.
Speaker 3: I would get inordinately excited for like a half a second if food started falling from the sky. I'm like, wait, it's happening.
Speaker 2: It's just it's happening.
Speaker 1: The cloudy with a chance of meatball. Yeah, I'm like cinematic uni, it's going down for real. Well that is what is trending on this Thursday afternoon. Thank you, Brian. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm on Twitter and Brian the editor and just go away.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, everybody, just go away. Stop at her people, all right, that's gonna do it until tomorrow. Be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight bye.