Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to The Credit Edge, a weekly markets podcast. My name is James Crumbie. I'm a senior editor at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Spencer Cutter, senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence, and we're delighted this week to have Earl Davis joining us. Earl, how are you this fine day.
Speaker 3: I'm doing very well and that it's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: Great, thanks for joining us again. Earl's a managing director at BMO Global Asset Management, where he's the head of fixed income and money Markets. He's a member of the BMO Global Asset Management Investment Committee with about two hundred and twenty billion in total assets under management. Prior to BMO, Earl was a director at Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan where he managed over eighty five billion of global fixed income assets. So with that introduction, James will hand it over you to get the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great to have you on the show. You have a great long history and a really interesting perspective and I've always enjoyed your sharp commentary on Bloomberg TV. We are his talk about credit, but before we get there, let's start with rates. US treasury yields are hitting levels we haven't seen in twenty five years, as inflation stays high and the government just keeps on spending. Plus there's a ton of AI debt competing for bond investor attention. Is this the new normal? High rates, a steeper yield curve, and what does it really say about the state of the world that government bonds just keep dropping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't say it's the new normal yet. We haven't hit equilibrium or a level that's sustainable. But the new normal part of it is that we are in an environment of higher rates, and the longer dated the bond, the much higher rates that we foresee going forward, and not in that very long time, but in one year, within one year, see significantly higher rates globally.
Speaker 2: Got a quick question for you then, so you know, walked in this morning turn on the Bloomberg terminal, there was at least three or four headlines about how rates are highest in twenty years in some cases are getting close to that ten. Your treasury has gone from less than one percent back in twenty one to four point seven percent today. At what point or with all that said, the economy seems to be rolling right along, At what point do you guys. See, you know, if the ten youre treasure goes to five percent, five and a half percent somewhere, where does that start to actually really bite the economy and sort of slow things down. It doesn't seem like we're feeling it yet, even though we've seen, like we said, much much higher rates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question, and one thing that people how we look at the markets, and how people do not look at the markets. They look at the absolute numbers, the absolute rates. So you said five five and a half percent, is that sustainable? It depends And this is the important thing. It's not the rate, it's the delta and the speed of change. So it's how fast do you get to five percent? How fast you at to fight and a half percent. If we're at five and a half percent by the end of this year, yes, there will be some effects on risk assets, but I do think the market could withstand and hold on to five and a half percent ten year rates by the end of twenty twenty seven. And this is why it's important to look at the delta in the time, not the absolute rate. So from our perspective, at five percent tenure rates, we are big buyers and we're big buyers because not because sentiment will say, oh, rates could go higher, could go from five percent to five and a half. The great thing about fixed income it's quantitative. If you buy rates at five ten year bonds, let's just go through a rough example. The Bemal aggregate bond fund, which is a combination of bond sovereign bonds and corporate bonds right now has an average duration of call it five five, five and a half around and the yield is five So what does that mean? How does that translate into math and why does it make sense to buy at that level? If you buy bonds to be more, aggregate bond fund at five and let's call it five and a half percent all in yield, and you are absolutely wrong and the market goes one hundred basis points against you. So from five percent to six percent, you will still make money in one year. Now you ask how is that and that is because you will lose five and a half percent in your market price. That is your duration. So one hundred basis points times five point five duration equals five point five percent. But then your five and a half coupon goes to six and a half percent. Your coupon interest, you will recoup all your mark to market loss plus more within a year. That's what we call a margin of safety. That's why we're backing up the truck if we hit five percent ten year yields because the math makes sense. It's not about sentiment. I'll tell you where it doesn't make sense. And what we're not buying is thirty year bonds because the duration on thirty year bonds is not six or seven, it's twenty. So one hundred basis point move on a twenty year duration is a twenty percent marked market loss. We are staying away from from longer duration bonds and credit per se. But there is a room for long duration credit and we could speak to that later, but we're staying away from it because there is no margin of safety. If you lose one hundred basis points on twenty year duration twenty percent and your coupon is six percent, it's three years to make it back. So that's how we look at it. So can the market with standard Yes, and we are big buyers at five percent.
Speaker 1: Is that your assumption? Then we do get five percent on the ten year US treasury.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you what our assumption, which I do feel will drag treasuries to five percent. Our assumption is that we get to six percent on thirty year bonds within a year. So right now we're five thirty. That's seventy basis points higher. Ten year bonds won't back up from today, let's call it four to seventy. They won't back up seventy basis points parallel, but a fear chance they do back up thirty basis points. So we do think there's a fear probability that we hit five percent. But again I reiterate we are large buyers there, not just because of the math of it, but because we also have a strong belief there'll be some treasury rumblings at that point, at least the first time round, right, whether it be to adjust the issuance again or the possibility of QI. So there's a lot of reasons why five percent makes sense, but we don't think it stops at five percent. We just think the persistence of it above five percent will be very short lived. And that's how our perspective going forward, not just on rates but in credit as.
Speaker 1: Well and the hiking. Do you think that happens in the next meeting or is it going to be pushed to push off from Oh, we.
Speaker 3: Don't see any hikes in twenty twenty six. And part of the reason is it's the Japan model. So what do I mean Japan model? The Japan has all been at the forefront of unconventional monetary calls. They're basically the first ones to popularize zero interest rate policy, then the first ones to popularize QE, then the first ones popularize negative interest rates scenario. You know what they're popularizing now, inflation driving thirty year bonds higher versus your overnight rate and not doing anything about it. Why are they doing that? Then to question is so now in so in the US, you're basically your two year bond to your thirty year bond has a spread of roughly, let's call it one hundred based sports, it's one ten, but we'll call it one hundred just to make things each Japan has its three hundred basis point spread, and you know what they've gone into because of that three hundred basis point spread. They've been able to get into a primary surplus because their currency devalued so much, the amount of income coming into Japan from exports them exporting is significant. Now they're primary surplus. I believe UK is doing it as well too. There are one hundred and fifty basis points. So I think there's going to be stealth steepening and global steepening across the world, and that means no hiking because of inflation and lend thirty years. Do that and you inflate your way out of your debt, your debt crisis as long as growth is high, which it is, so we don't see any hikes by the Fed this year, possibly next year, but that'd be a different story. They're different driver. NBC significant curve steepening, and we could come back to that. But the implication of that from an investor'spective perspective, globally, we are buyers of bank bonds, the ones who will, besides the government, the sector that will benefit the most from steeper curves or banks, it's their business or short lend long. So we think the tailwinds are there for banks to support their spreads, to support their coupon payments, and not only that, we think that tailwinds are there for bank bonds the sector to tighten over time. So that's one of the implications of the steeper curve from our perspective, what.
Speaker 2: One follow up? And you know, I'm a credit guy, so by definition that means I'm a pessimist. Everybody called the e or to flip the script a little bit. What would then potentially cause the FED to ease or lower rates, whether it's through just cutting rate excuse me, cutting rates, or quant state of easing. And I bring that up because you're seeing a lot of strong, strong economic growth today despite everything we just talked about. With higher rates, you're starting to see a lot of that was has been driven by tech and AI and data center buildouts, et cetera. And you're starting to see some cracks in that. You know, the situational awareness blow up, the open AI IPO seems to be on hold. Steve Heisman's out there saying he's selling his tech stuff. I'm you know, I'm old enough to remember two thousand very vividly, so I'm having flashbacks. If if the AI bubble, if it is, that were to finally pop, and that then causes the market to drop, you know, twenty percent. I know some have some sort of meaningful correction. Given we'll also have inflation pressure still, whether it's from tariffs or higher commodity prices from the war and I ran, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Could the Fed? Would the FED ease to try.
Speaker 2: To reinflate equity prices or asset prices in that scenario? Or what would you see happening if if there is a downturn, you know, AI bubble driven. Would it be that sort of normal response that we're we've been programmed to assume, but you know it's different this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So to answer question now, I'll go into more details than an answer. Yes, they would ease. Definitely would ease. So let me back up and just go into a bit more detail on a higher level. So what would cause the fat to ease? It's a recession, That's basically what it is. It's a recession. So in our books, we have three things that could drive that recession. One is what you touched upon is the AI growth story doesn't play itself out. That story, however, in our view, is not going to be a twenty twenty sixth story, highly unlikely a twenty twenty seventh story to twenty twenty eight and beyond story, because you have to give the revenues a chance to catch up to the expectations they won't give a long time, but it's going to be at least a year, so I don't think that's a twenty twenty seventh story. The other thing why I don't think that's a twenty twenty seventh story is I believe the investment case for AI is out there in regards to the productivity and what you see. The winners are to be determined, so it might just be a shifting of who are the leaders and whatnot and things there. So A is definitely one of the reasons the AI growth story collapsing is definitely one of the reasons for a potential recession. Don't see that being a twenty twenty six or twenty twenty seven story, but it's definitely one of them. The other reasons, which are probably would happen a little quicker are one hundred and fifty dollars oil could drive the recession story. And the scary thing about what's going on in the spray of her moods is we haven't seen the rise and oil prices because reserves are being used. So what that says it's not going to be a leanar function from eighty dollars oil to one hundred and fifty, it's really gonna jump. It's a jump function. So that's a scary thing. So I think that would be the number one thing that's more likely than the AI to cause the recession. The other thing, which which is possible is the war in the Middle East expanse. You know, we've seen the headlines about in the background China selling weapons to Iran not confirmed and all that that accelerates and there's more direct involvement, then it's all better off because in the war environment, all your choices become uneconomic choices, they feed the war machine. It's inefficient choices, it's public competing with pride, and that's highly inflationary. So those are the three things that could drive a recession in our mind, that come of immediacy, but we don't think that would stop the FED from easing. With one caveat that we haven't spoken about and no one's speaking about here because the market only has time to focus on one story at a time. But definitely the twenty twenty seven story is going to be El Nino super el Nino. So does that actually take effect and where's inflation actually there once that kicks in. That's the wild card on whether the FED would ease or not in my mind from the inflation per expected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're getting a lot of talk about El Nino out here on the West Coast.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess it's interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, Yes, if oil hits one hundred and fifty dollars a barrel, that could be slow down the economy but also be inflationary. If there is a broader war expansion in the Middle East, obviously that would also potentially drive oil to one hundred and fifty dollars a barrel or higher, who knows the slowing on the economy, but then also inflationary. So I guess where I'm getting at is all these things that potentially slow the economy that would normally prompt the FED to ease also drive inflation higher, which would then creates that tuggle war between which one wins out and I And that's why I'm kind of stuck between you know what, what does the FED?
Speaker 4: And and will the FED be effective?
Speaker 2: I mean, they could short cut rates, but without heavy quantitative easing like we saw in the COVID downturn, could they really get the long end of the curved down?
Speaker 4: Or is everybody gonna sell off? You know, three year treasuries go even higher.
Speaker 3: Not sure I'm happy you brought that up, because I actually for about to bring up a critical point. The reason why they would ease, in my mind in those scenarios is the demand shock. It's a consumer economy. The demand shock in a recessionary environment would be significant. They would short term look through inflation to try to get equities up by reducing things and getting you know, the old old game book. How much they would ease that that could impact it, But I think the at least the initial eases and the first one in that environment could be a fifty basis point ease, especially considering you know, overnight is three seventy five, right, let's call it. They got room to ease, so I think the demand shock aspect will allow them to overlook the headline or nominal inflation that will have At the time.
Speaker 1: This still sounds pretty volatile. The BIX is very low, and people seem pretty pretty calm. It hasn't been a quiet summer by any means. You know, we've had Jane Street losing fifteen billion, as we've seen Guggenheim Partner's kind of falling apart in the credit market, and all these other things you mentioned lurking out there, But how do you position them from a risk standpoint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great question from especially the ball perspective. So we look at the move index, which is basically the Vixa fonds, and it is at the lower end of its range of the past five years. So it's proximately we both call it eight seventy five seventy five to eighty. The low end of the range in the past five years is sixty to eighty. The high is like one forty, but let's call it one twenty. It's above one forty on a spike, but let's call it one twenty to one. Exactly because we are in this range, this lower ball range. We had been reducing our credit exposure, but we're maintaining our holdings of credit. We've just been selling all of our high yield and buying ID. So basically, it's like being in movie theater. We love the movie, We're still there, but we're just getting a seat closer to the exit door. And part the reason why we're looking at that's not because we're scared of growth or the impact. We actually love growth, and given how much we like growth, and we could talk about the drivers of that and why we love it. We are significantly underway credit given how much we like growth, but it's vaal. We're active managers. You're not getting paid to hold risk as much risk care or high beta risk. Given the types of spreads. However, you know, fundamentally it could still be supportive. We could stay at these tight levels for a while, but we want to make sure we have that dry powder for when Vall re emerges and comes. There's almost complacency in the market, and I would say our highest conviction view is volatility. You know, you look at the world geopolitics, you look at the new FED and people try and still get a sense of the credibility there. You look at you know, oil prices, which really geopolitics super Almino Vall is there to stay. So these levels we are reducing risk and if we get tighter, which is a possibility, will sell even more CREPT.
Speaker 2: One of the points of volatility you mentioned is commodity prices, particularly oil, obviously given the dynamics in Iran in the Middle East, and at the same time you mentioned you're selling a lot of your high yield positions moving to investment grade. I'm curious, how are you looking at energy within that? Given that's MySpace. I want to pick your brain on do you still want you're holding onto any of the high yield energy space, moving on taking profits there and moving just out of energy in general, or still keeping some exposure there.
Speaker 4: What's your look on that.
Speaker 3: No, we're not keeping any exposure now. Having said that, it is the number one area sector. We want to increase our exposure too. So why do we not have exposure now because of how much you like it? Just because how much high yield spreads, especially in energy have tightened. Well, it's below the index, it'll stay tighter, it's structurally tighter. But it's the first area we will buy on any widening is energy, and that's when we did when the war started. We have our list and that's what we bought. That's what we did last year as well too, when TWIS came in as well. We really like the energy sector and we like it as a hedge to the rest of our portfolio. How I said, one of the areas where we see a recession probably coming from a one hundred and fifty dollars oil. You know what will poly perform in that on bonds energy companies, So we see it as a great hedge to the overall risk on tome that we have in the balance of our portfolio. It will be the first sector that we buy on any widening. And what's interesting part of what gives us confidence in that So as you mentioned before, I used to be I used to have fixed income currencies at Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. Prior to that, I was the lead PM on inflation inflation bonds, used to own have multi billion of tips. We used to trade tips against our bob against gas because of the correlations and how our BOB feeds into the CPI print and NSA CPI print. We used to trade that against gas. But now with the refining across the world being so constrained, all these oil companies, especially ones that are refining, will be printing dollars and supportive of spreads. So it's one of the things that gives us additional confidence in buying energy companies and the high yield energy companies on why and.
Speaker 1: It obviously has done well you know this year bens. Do you don't think that once the you know, oil price keeping up, then the then benefits reday crew mo to the equity than the debt.
Speaker 2: I'm a skeptic of energy bonds rallying much because again, credit spreads are as tight as they've ever been, and at least with particularly an investment rate, but throughout high yield as well, credit metrics are also as strong as they beg In leverage ratios are the lowest in generations, and all the free cashle that's coming in, you know, all these companies have now the policy of we're going to send fifty sixty seventy five percent of free cash flow to use for stock buybacks and dividends. I don't see energy outperforming because energy is doing so much better. But I do see energy potentially continuing to outperform because someplace else is blown up and energy stays sort of the safe haven, and people just you know, like we're talking about here, is you move out of tech because the AI story is slowing down, and where you're gonna put your money, well, I'll put it in energy bonds because oil is still as long as there's still volatility in Middle East, oil still be high. My one concern is if and when there is peace breaks out in the Middle East and the Horn moves reopens, you could see a repeat of twenty fifteen with the Middle East country you say, all right, I've been sitting on the sideline. I've been have not been able to sell my product as much as I would have liked. Now I can, and they try to go back and get market share. So like the Saudi did in twenty fifteen and flooded the market, oil prices crashed and you had a huge wave of bankruptcies. And the credit quality within the energy space is much much stronger today than it was then, So I wouldn't see I wouldn't predict the same total dislocation of bankruptcies. But that is the one thing that kind of keeps me up as night is if again Hormones reopens tomorrow, you know, Uae, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, I would see them saying, all right, let's let's ramp up our production, our exports, because we got to we got to get our market share back. And then that could obviously then way on way on oil prices, which can then ways on energy bonds because they are priced to perfection.
Speaker 3: Finding and the importance of the being able to refine it and get it out there.
Speaker 4: Yes, but yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So one of the interesting things that you mentioned. When we buy bonds and let alone energy bonds or sectors or whatever, we don't because we anticipated rally, right, We buy it because of the carry profile and and and the support of the cash, the cash will supporting the coupon paints. Having said that, we do buy it on the wide and if it does rally, we sell because we view that as a monetized basically an immediacy of the monetization of the carry profile. And it's it's interesting which which gives us comfort in selling and not try and guess it's the bottom or the highs. It's just to have the powder to reload it at a at a further time.
Speaker 1: I'm interested in the AI side, though, I mean, you know, you like energy like banks, and we should come back to that. But but you know, you can't avoid now the fact that AI is flooding the investing grade bond market and every other capital market on the planet, including the Canadian dollar. How do you deal with that? What's the opportunity? I mean, some people claim that it's even crowding out the governments and it's causing ways to go higher at the long end. So what are you making of it?
Speaker 3: So I agree with that. I wouldn't say it's crowding out, but the competition for capital, they're definitely the leading, or arguably the leading, because I would say the government's police the leading required need for capital to fund the deficits. But nonetheless the competition for capital is increasing. As I said, I used to be a real rate portfolio manager. I have never seen real rates move like they are now. Structurally, I saw it move during global financial crisis two level similar to today in the ten years, if not a little bit higher. But structurally, this competition for capital is significant and we're seeing it in the real rates. So the question we ask ourselves with hyper scalers, and we're slightly underweight. Now, we've been buying on the widening tube to get to market. We haven't participated in the initial offerings, in the primary offerings just because of how tight spreads work. But as they get goes through where they were initially off, we are buying. But the question is what's the market's ability to accept the next incremental dollar debt from a hyperscaler And my answer is it depends the reason why, and it depends on your insurance companies. Your insurance companies are the number one buyers in segmentation theory of longer dated corporate debt thirty year corporate debt, and we we're seeing a significant amount of issuance from hyperscalers there and they have been digesting it. But there's two things that will control that going forward. One is how close are they to their credit limits because obviously with the amount of issue in those limit limits are getting eaten up. And the other one, which is pension risk transfers, so like where are they on that? So what is that? It's a significant partner. I think it's going to play in an increasingly important part in fixed income markets in twenty twenty seven and beld So when you look at the US, there's in defined benefit plans, there's about three point one trillion in defying benefit plants. They put a lot of voluntility on the balance sheet of corporates that offer those to their employees because it depends on two things, your assets and their growth there which is largely equities and the and your debt, your what is your thirty year bond rate? Your discount rate. Those in the past years have been going both to the benefit of corporation. So all these pension plants are fully funded wealthully funded, probably the most they've been in twenty years. So a lot of these corporations like to get that volatility off their balance sheets by selling it to pension plants. You basically invest in an annuity in longer dated bonds. They are your number one buyers along dated bonds. So far, we haven't seen as much as expense as expected in pension risk transfers. Corporations are still holding them because it's making their balance sheets looks good, and there hasn't been that much volatility. Yields have generally been going up and equities have generally been going up. But you start getting some wobbling in equities, which you know is a possibility. We're still risk one, but it's a possibility to get increased volatility. There you will see an increased amount of that three point one trillion called petch risk transfers, which means more buyers and longer dated bonds, which is supportive of hyperscalers. So I'm looking very closely at that market see if there's an uptick in pension risk transfers to insurance companies to determine what to have an outlook on spreads. Having said that, going back to your statement of flooding the market, they definitely are flooding the market. Why could I say they're definitely flooding the market because you had everything for triple A call it your microsofts to triple B, your SpaceX and your Oracles and in between. You know, everything else is double A. But they're all trading with a spread of one notch lore. That's how you know they're flooding the market. So it's a very attractive yield until limits are hit, and then you then your subject to mark to market risk is spreads continue to widen, and that's the thing we're looking at. We will not go overweight hyperscalers in regards to their bond holdings and issues, but we will get at weight. Let me take that back. As spreads do widen significantly, we will go overweight. But at this level we will not go over Do.
Speaker 1: You think that the risk is being properly priced? You know, with things like this massive n video deal half a trillion dollars and then the collatero is basically chips. We don't know how much things those things are worth. We don't know what they're going to be replaced by how soon?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: It all seems and then there's the circular idea. I mean, it all seems a bit intangible, a bit hard to value.
Speaker 3: So my answer to that is I don't know. And the reason why I don't know is because the revenue model is still to be determined. They'll, you know, have the revenues that are required to provide a return on this invested capital. So TBD. There's still a lot of sentiment involved in here, and I have what what what I call a hope jar. Any time any PM uses the word hope, you have to put five dollars in the jar. We're not about hope, we're about expectation. How fun is that is that jar? Right now? Hey? You know what everyone's about positions.
Speaker 4: To be able to pay for the office holiday party.
Speaker 3: You see, sir, it's pretty empty. But nonetheless there there the market. There's still a lot of sentiment. There is some hope, but you are being you are being rewarded for it, because how I said, the spreads are one the equivalence of one not's lower than the rating, So you are being rewarded for it. The thing is, can it hold on to these lucks.
Speaker 2: So kind of go on full circle back to tying what James just asked recently, you know, is AI debt flooding the market? And seems like the answer is yes, at least it's it's having a big impact. And then is there going to be a down turn within AI? Which I understand it may not be this year, may not be next year, but as we have just said, there's a lot of hope driving these valuations and it does look like there's some potential cracks coming in the market. And to our discussion at the beginning of would bonds be you know, bond yields come down if the market, the stock market, equity market, AI valuations come down, and that would be a good hedge. I guess the question is, if there's so much AI debt now, is the debt market really a good hedge between or safe haven if you're trying to get out of the stock market and get out of your exposure to the NVIDIAs, the Googles and all the hyper scalers that you might think are overvalued because you buy bonds, and well, now the bond portfolio is going to be holding all the bonds from all these people you know, in that sort of crisis to all the correlations go to one and everything goes down.
Speaker 3: So I say, yes, I'm actually excited about fixed income. So let me answer Let me back up and answer this a bit more holistically. There's three reasons why you would own bonds or why you investor want to own box. Three reasons. One is income generation. And the thing about income generation, what you have to look at is are you getting a real return? You know what? That's a check, that's a yes. That means your coupon that bond in ten five years or ten years when immatures will be that that dollar value will be worth more than the dollar value today. So your income generation box is checked because you're getting a positive real return. So your own number one reason your own bonds is income generation or number one in one A. The next reason you own bond is capital appreciation, So that's in your risk off times. Will that bond or the treasury yield underlying that bond appreciate this kind of lose your question will continue going higher. I would say yes at these levels when your real rate in thirty year bonds is three, but in ten year bonds is two and a half. I remember probably about ten years ago, your real rate in tenure bonds was probably minus one hundred basis points. It just says there's a lot of room, there's a lot of room for central banks to ease, so that possibility, I won't say definite of capital appreciation is definitely there. It's more than it's been in a very long time. And then the other reason is diversification. It definitely provides you diversification, especially as you said, you know you're you want to reallocate your portfolio and to have more bonds. It definitely provides that diversification. Even if you look at it just fro where you are in the capital structure, you're still higher up the capital structure, especially if you're worried. So for those three reasons, I would say definitely yes, And we're not there yet, but we're very close to being. As I said before, backup the truck buyers, do you give another fifty basis points? And I would be a big buyer. And what's interesting about our role here and my role as an active asset manager. I always tell my team when they go out, you only get one of two. You get what There's only two things you can get from a potential client at or client one is capital, so that's AEM so you manage your AUM and the other one's confidence. What's the confidence you get and what's the confidence discipline process both in the active management alpha generation as well as getting out before everything kind of widens or blows up, which I'd explained to our discipline approach right now, and transparency and being able to explain it and not just explaining it off a sentiment. This is why I go back to the margin of safety argument. You can actually so show mathematically that a one hundred basis point move against you the next day and you'll be flat if not make money within a year. That doesn't speak to the asymmetric nature. So that was if your bonds go one hundred or interest rates go one hundred base points against you, and your flat in a year, as they go one hundred base points for you or lower, you actually make like a ten percent return. Once you're able to show people the asymmetry of that and how it takes time and you let the coupon work for you, it's a beautiful time being involved in fixing cup. And you have to think, if we're fifty basis points higher shortly, You're going to get a few things going on. You're going to get less supply because issuers unless they have to repay a coupon and haven't financed it yet or don't have cash on the balance sheet, they're not issuing the will issue when we rally, so less supply and more demand. That's an environment where I see if you get wobbling in risk on assets, you get your pensured risk transfers come in. Eighty percent of retail money is invested in equity, eighty percent. It doesn't take much to come in to rebalance into fixed income. So there's a lot of compelling reasons to really like fix income. We're almost there, and I could sit being there quite short Just.
Speaker 1: For our listeners to be clear. The fifty basis points increase you're talking about, is that on the USIG spread, or is it on the tech spread, or is it on a particular issue. Where are you looking at to see that.
Speaker 3: The treasury yield, because you're all in spread, would be a component of that credit spread and your treasure yield, So thank you for helping me clarify that, so that would raise you're all in yield and those have been the number one buyers. Basically, Like it's interesting you say, Okay, with everything going on and all that, why are credit spread so tight? And I'd say, very simply, it's it's basically your supply of cash that's buying all in yield. So where's your supply of cash come in from. Comes in from QE that we've seen past, that's still in the market. That's why there's so much out there money. It's not happening anymore, but that money's so relating. You have income now, your coupon income on bonds is a lot higher than it was before. That's money that's absorbing corporate issuance and all that and your equity returns. There's a lot of wealth out there. You're rebalancing from that, and you're seeing it like in your money market funds, which is you know, over seven trillion. So again, some potential buyers on higher yields. There's a lot compelling reasons to say we're going to see we could see significant demand, not while things are happening, because people don't like investing when there's volatility, but we will be buying and we'll be ready for when it comes. Now then they come back into the market, which we've seen time in and time out over over the history of bonds at least a micro.
Speaker 1: That'll be talking about the IG yield all in going to close it to six percent? Right, yes, yeah, where it is now?
Speaker 3: That's right, it's around five and a half now. We like IG spreads above five percent. It's around five and a half. Now you get high yield, be like high yields north of seven and a half. It's probably touching seven and a half now, but we like it further north. But that credit spreads, high yield index spreads probably too eighty ish. You know, we'd be buyers around three point fifty on that spread. So there's a lot of widening that could happen there. And IG saw your ID to your point, your ID all in yield is flight and a half, which is a component of your bond yield in your eighty percent credit score.
Speaker 1: Right, And the spread on IG right now is around at basis points, which is very low compared to history. The my long standing thesis for that has been, and you can feel free to disagree, is that there's just not enough net new supply of IG bonds in the US market and We're going to see a radical reworking of that this year with you know, very high net forecasts. I think Goldman had close to a trillion in net, which we've never seen before. So you've got the combination of AI funding and M and A really pushing that out. And I get the demand side, but does that not push things into more of a balance and they're therefore push spreads wider from here?
Speaker 3: Issuance could I agree with you on net issuance hasn't been that high although we've had record ig issuance, Your net issuance isn't that high because of the coupons and whatnot, just before the spread thing. Another reason why I'd say that we're structurally tighter is private credit. You know, a lot of your lower quality names have gone into private credit credit who otherwise would have come into high yield and and possibly ID as well too. So i'd say that's the other reason why you're structurally lower, uh issue, and I believe we will stay structurally lower. The reason why we don't we're not longer is just because volatility. Basically, when you're long credit, you are short vall. We don't like being short ball at the lows so that's why we're waiting until we get better levels to go long vault so that you will get it right. We've seen it every year, we have spikes of it. This year was the war driven, last year was tariff driven, and we do expect it to come again and we will mold up then again.
Speaker 1: So right now you've seen to maybe have a lot of cash in terms of relative relative to your normal positioning.
Speaker 3: A lot, so yes and no. So no, we don't have t bills in cash, but we we've moved a lot of our credit holdings into the two year and under setter. And the reason why we've done that is liquidity. It's the most liquid part. Obviously, it's the part that's most exposed to idiosyncratic defaults. That's the part that winds you get an in version of your credit speak curve. But we're not worried about the economy. We actually see default probabilities going down, which business concern. But there's a few things. The liquidity in that where the easiest part to liquidate. To go into high yield it would be sure great, and the rolldown is very attractive. The rolldown is always been attracted in the shorter end of the curve. So that's where we're traversing right now.
Speaker 1: And where do you think you might find alpha right now?
Speaker 3: Alpha is what I said before, basically kind of on the sidelines. Actually, what's interesting is we do believe alpha's on the duration side of things. As I said before, like one of our higher conviction views is a steepening of the Yeal curve. And there's which is important. It's structural, it's global. So and let me go back to the reason why I see it as important, going back to my teacher's days. It was a global bond fund, like you said, eighty five billion, partly lever and partly cash. But the key thing there, because it's so large. You can't base your views off of flows because you become of the float. You are the flow multi day. You can't place your views off technical analysis because you are the technical analysis. So you need tailwings. What are the structural tailwinds when you look globally, the number one structural tailwind is deficits, which is more bonds in you know, higher real rates, but also leads into curve steepening and curse deepening. Not just from a perspective negative perspective, but from a government beneficial perspective as demonstrated by Japan, and the ability again to primary surplus or the possibility increasing that. So because of that structural view we have we have a long dated underweight in our portfolios. We are still overweight credit, but in the short duration buckets, as I explain, ready to go out and get higher credit, we're basically where we were at the beginning of the year. We were more than three We had three times as much what we call dts or duration times right during the war when we loaded up on high eel. But now we liquidated that, we're just waiting.
Speaker 1: Floating rate doesn't appeal.
Speaker 3: Floating rate, No, there's no appeal there because one of the things, as there's two things. We have institutional counter institutional accounts have longer data mandates. We're also asset managers. One of the things with floating rate floating rate holdings, it reduces the duration of our portfolio, which we have to offset by buying thirty year bonds. And we don't want to buy thirty year bonds because it's a poe. It's a quarter your duration of basically a floating rate. So now we're not there. We rather short credit for one reason. I'll give you something else. The spread of IG index versus T bills is approximately at one hundred and seventy five basis points right now. That was zero about two years ago, so it's getting more and more attractive, which says you'd rather be in short data i g. Than floating rate or tvOS And that's a key consideration there as well.
Speaker 1: Right, you're pretty heavily US skewed, but you know, delighted to have someone in Canada on this show because we we do find it a fascinating market. We don't often get a chance to look set. But what are you saying up there in terms of Canadian credit or rates opportunities?
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, it's very so the number one thing in credit, The biggest part of the index here and the biggest country is financials, you know, the big Canadian banks and what they what they issue and whatnot. This probably represents our largest holding. We like it and we like it, and we haven't reduced our exposures there given our views on the curve and how that is supportive of banks income, so their net income which is good for bonds and cash, fll and whatnot. So that's our largest holding. There. The other thing what's interesting in Canada has a nascent high yield market. How I said, we sold all our US high yield, we kept all our Canadian high yield because it's a developing high yield market. There's two reasons why we did that. Because and it'll touch upon something a bit more global as well too. Whis interesting because it's a nason high yield market. Spreads are wider, they're building it up, and they're attracted to us. We're investigating. There's mining high yield here, there's goal. There's a lot of defense, which we like. We like that sector, defense company, so we like that sector. The other reason why we kept onto high yield is some of our US exposure we hedged back into Canada. The hedge costs are significant, so we're better off holding Canadian high yield. We earn on the margin more than holding US high yield heads back to Canada at these levels. What's interesting when the US intervened funding costs or hedge cost for all globals of Europe, Japan, Canada got more attracted to buy US corporates.
Speaker 1: We talked about just the intervention in the en.
Speaker 3: Yes intervened on the end that collapse the funding costs like probably by about ten to fifteen basis points. So yeah, but the technicality and basis point pick up by investing in US corporate yield and hedging it back to your local currency. So that was an interesting thing there. So that's it. But I would say that is it for the Canadian market much smaller obviously than the US. Yields are slightly higher and like for like, if you look at IG versus US and we think that's a liquidity premium or a liquidity the market might be too small for larger investors to come in, of which we're reaping. We've seen a collapse of that spread this year and everything going on. There is volatility here obviously the free trade discussions between Canada and US. But we are a commodity based company. We are oil based economy in regard, so large commodities in oil, so that is very supportive on the medium to long term. So we look for those tailwinds when we.
Speaker 1: Invest earlier financials that you're talking most about money center banks, not just in Canada but also in the US. In terms of your financials exposure overrule, it's it's.
Speaker 3: It's everywhere it's Europe, it's US, it's Canada.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say some of those high yield Canadians I assume are oil and gas companies as well. Given the resources.
Speaker 3: There they had, they they don't need the cash.
Speaker 2: Well it's so so that's that's the same as the US oil and gas companies.
Speaker 4: I got you. Okay.
Speaker 2: You talk a lot about volatility, and that's the one thing you can be sure of at this point with all the dislocation and different things going on around the world, and you know, you're you've kind of moved out of high yield and into the investment grade market just to be a little more safe.
Speaker 4: Like you said, get a sea closer to the it.
Speaker 2: Given that positioning and the increased volatility, what what does keep.
Speaker 4: You up at night?
Speaker 2: What do you think is the you know, the unknown unknown that you know could cause everything to go south.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, being in fixed income, I'm never slept better man being thirty years in fixed income seeing yields so high, it's a beautiful thing. And there's a lot of attraction. There's a lot of money coming into and being an active manager, we're seeing a lot of allocation or a different balance of passive and active unfixed income. So it's good. There's already one thing that keeps me up at night. UH and I and to me it's not it's it's no probability, but if it does happen, it's uh. All hands off, desk, All hands off basically is an acceleration of the world of the war in the Middle East. That's the only thing I keeps me up at night, I do believe. And part of the reason why that's the only thing. The reason why we're so positive on growth in the US is twofold one is all the deregulation that has been brought in. No one talks about the deregulation anymore. Your small and medium sized businesses are your drivers of the US economy, seventy percent plus of jobs. So deregulation is a cost to the smaller and medium sized companies, not the large companies because they're so big. It's it's just an expense item, but it's a big driver. So what the deregulation has been going on in the US with this administration, it's been significantly beneficial for small and medium sized companies. You're seeing it in hiring intentions. I think that combined with AI is extremely supportive of growth. That tide is rising for potential growth in the US in our minds, So that's one of the things that's very constructed and supported and gives us a significant amount of comfort. The second thing is the lowering of capital requirements that's expected to happen towards the end of this year, possibly but for sure next year for usban ear. That increases the amount of money available for moans, which is the multiplier effect, So your ability to get capital to grow will be there. The incentive for banks to lend will be there, So you add that in with the increasing that income and lower capital requirements. These are all reasons why we're very bullish on the economy underlying despite the volatility on top, because the volatility is like a wave. The waves will differ in sizes and you'll get some massive ones, but the tide of economic growth is growing. That gives us comfort because it all comes down to lower default rates, comfort with high yield, comfort with credit, and a general risk on tone that we believe will be sustainable in the US economy, which impacts the global to com So that is why there's not many things that keep me up in night, especially with a higher real rate in a real return in bonds. To me, it's all a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: At the same time, though, I've never seen the US more antagonistic towards the Canadians. I've been going there for decades and I've never seen such you know, logg aheads How much does that really matter for your business?
Speaker 3: Short shorted? So what's interesting is our business when you look at the business is equities and fixed income. Equity markets are still going up. TSX is a commodity driven index, and marketing companies. You're seeing the amount of global dollars come into Canada. So short term, I am concerned from an investor perspective, in the adjustment period of new delta, there's going to be rolling recessions in dipping areas depending on what the agreement is. You know, there's hard times right now, Loomum steel, you're seeing in those sectors, so on and so forth. So there will be adjustments. But the antagonism is accelerating the change to the next level. And because we have the things that the blood the world want oil, critical metals and minerals and metals, water, there is great demand here. There's great significant potential, and that doesn't even speak to the pension plans that we have here. Trillions of dollars of possible investment money that could be reinvested in Canada, most of which is invested externally. So I'm not worried on the medium to long term, but the short term adjustment period will be a little rough, and that's how we're looking at it.
Speaker 1: Great stuff, Earl Davis with BMO Asset Management, and many thanks for joining us on the Credit Edge.
Speaker 3: Thank you, it's been a pleasure, and of.
Speaker 1: Course very grateful to Spencer Cutter, a Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: For more credit market analysis and insight. Read all of Spencer's great work on the Bloomberg terminal. Bloomberg Intelligence is part of our research department with five hundred analysts and strategists working across all markets. Coverage includes over two thousand equities and credits pus out on more than ninety industries and one hundred market indices, currencies and commodities. Please do subscribe to the Credit Edge wherever you get your podcasts. We're on Apple, Spotify and all other good podcast providers. Including the Bloomberg terminal at bpod Go. Give us a review, tell your friends, or email me directly at Jcrombeight at Bloomberg dot net. I'm James Crombie. It's been a pleasure having you join us again next week on the Credit Edge