Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Monday, June thirtieth, and day one of deliberations in the Diddy trial is in the books. And what a day it was. The jury was busy. Welcome to this Diddy Update edition of Amy and TJ Robes. We actually thought, you know what, we might not do a second episode today because you know, it's probably going to be quiet. It's deliberations supposed to be quiet.
Speaker 2: At first day of deliberations, they're all just getting to know each other, trying to feel each other out.
Speaker 3: Maybe they did a first little you know, meet and greet. Nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 4: We had not one, not two.
Speaker 2: We had three notes from the jury in five hours of deliberations today.
Speaker 1: But the doozy was the one they sent after just being back there an hour together. Folks. This was actually this is actually probably romes right in line with what the case has been. The jury has been called all kinds of issues, sick, getting kicked off, maybe getting kicked off, somebody late, child issues, no transitionshes, transition shoes. So here we go again. So they go back this morning, they get the case, deliberations are underway, and then rolled within one out they pick a four person. Fine, that's one thing, and first of all, tell everybody who they did.
Speaker 2: They did pick a it's not a form a foreman, you know, that's how they usually would refer to that person. But it's a four person specifically because it is a forty two year old.
Speaker 3: She is a woman of color, She lives.
Speaker 2: In Manhattan, she works in a nursing home, and she is a mom of two. The only other interesting thing I saw on all of the fun facts you get from the jurors, who are of course anonymous, is that she was ticketed for an open container fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: But she likes hip hop music.
Speaker 2: She is the four person and seems like they picture relatively smoothly and quickly, and.
Speaker 1: So she is the one in charge of the group that's not in charge of deciding did He's fate? So they sent their first real note out robes that in an hour, And it was another how many times would use the word jaw drop doozy a doozy during this trial during testimony, and the jury within one hour almost hit us with a number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was like seventy minutes to the minute, But yes, an hour and ten minutes they already send a note to the judge that says, we have a juror number twenty five that we are concerned cannot follow your honors instructions?
Speaker 1: What do you figure that out? An hour? What does that exactly mean? And also, let's go to this first ropes jury number twenty five. Do you have it up?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, which one jurre number twenty five is we have joked?
Speaker 4: Possibly?
Speaker 2: Well, he's at least the most educated member formally educated member of the jury. He has his PhD in molecular biology. He is a scientist, a practicing veterinarian. He lives in Manhattan with his partner, and he likes classical music.
Speaker 1: This is not a dumbass.
Speaker 2: This is not somebody who doesn't know how to follow instructions.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope.
Speaker 4: He is a scientist.
Speaker 2: That is exactly and precisely what scientists do. They follow instructions because they know how important they are.
Speaker 1: It's actually a particular skill they have to have. He is perfectly qualified to be on a jury. What happened in one hour that they collectively got together and said we need to do something about one of our members in an hour. In an hour.
Speaker 2: It's baffling. The only thing I could think of. We were trying to come up with scenarios. I'm sure many of you at home were doing the same thing. Was like, if he walked in there and said, I'm sorry, but I think he's guilty on all accounts, and I'm not going to even consider anything. You all are saying, if he just maybe already had such a formed opinion, and maybe he announced it to the group, Like, y'all can go ahead and deliberate all you want and talk all you want and hash everything out. I already know what my verdict is or what I'm voting for on every count. What else could it is that we have been That's the only thing I can think of.
Speaker 1: That's sure. Did you just go in and say Nope, I refuse to deliberate, or nope, I'm never going to follow those struc What could you do in an hour? You just don't have time.
Speaker 3: To Unless he thinks he's smarter than the judge.
Speaker 1: He is he an elected of biology. Yes, he's the smartest person in the room. Fine, you got it.
Speaker 2: So maybe maybe he thinks he knows more and better, and maybe he was being a bit of.
Speaker 4: A jerk because of it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's hard to imagine how it went off the rails like that, because wouldn't that be embarrassing, Like you're you're the jury for a person. You guys have just gone back. You know everyone's watching you already. Dad, he won't play fair. Dad, tell him to stop. Because what the juror, actually, what the four person asked was that she could please come talk to the judge.
Speaker 4: Or she asked if the judge.
Speaker 2: Would interview during number twenty five, she was already asking him to intervene, which is significant. It wasn't a question about procedure, a question about the evidence or testimony. It was saying, please help us, we've got we've got a problem. Juror here who won't play fair?
Speaker 1: You say it was a black woman or woman?
Speaker 4: I saw a woman of color, a.
Speaker 1: Woman of color, Okay, I'm just curious. This is the black woman.
Speaker 4: So so what did what?
Speaker 1: Please? Like, no, no, no, I'm just I could you know I got a black woman in my life that would be like, huh huh, I ain't got time for this right now, I ain't got time for this, like you come get them, or I can see.
Speaker 4: That this is uh okay okay.
Speaker 2: So how did the judge of the judge gets this question. He lets the prosecution and the defense see it, and then they have to hammer out how they wanted to respond back to the jurors.
Speaker 1: Everything has to be negotiated, yes, even an and sir has to be negotiated now, so they did come up with something everybody agreed to. The judge came out and said, hey, it turns out both of you guys pretty much came up with the same language, but he didn't like some particular language from the defense. That ends up they did end up taking it out.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they went with more of the prosecution's version, which was basically, please just go.
Speaker 4: Back and deliberate.
Speaker 2: You know, my rules are my rules, like, kind of figure it out for yourselves. But the defense wanted to add that there should be some note, Hey, y'all just.
Speaker 3: Started deliberating, can you figure it out?
Speaker 2: The judge didn't want to put any pressure on the jury, suggesting that somehow the issue is that they've had an issue too quickly.
Speaker 3: He didn't want them to feel pressure.
Speaker 2: For that, so they just said, hey, go back, please try to follow my instructions, Please continue to deliberate.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm giving this judge all kinds of credit. Of course, he has to play the referee for the two sides. But I thought this was a good bit of therapy, or this a good bit of in handling them. He said, No, I don't want them to feel like we're being dismissive of a concern they have by just saying you just started keep going, He said, he wanted to acknowledge. I thought, yeah, I guess I've talked to a lot of therapists over the years, but that sounds like exactly, you have to immediately validate somebody's concern.
Speaker 2: He validated that. It's okay that you came back in seventy minutes. Please tell me how you're feeling right now. Okay, I heard you. Now, please just go back and try to figure it out. So it was kind of just that back and forth, and then we were waiting to hear what the jury was going to do.
Speaker 4: And a third note.
Speaker 2: It was a third round of notes, because there were two notes in this third edition. Basically, the easy one was, hey, we want to end at five pm and we'd like to come back again at nine am.
Speaker 3: So they gave the judge their schedule for today.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Now you know, if they if they go with that schedule, they go to work nine to five.
Speaker 4: It sounds like that's what they are going to want to do.
Speaker 2: So then though, in that third little pile of notes, there was a second note, and that was a.
Speaker 1: Question, and that one's really interesting. They're asking for clarity on something that you and I have gone back and forth about on several episodes of this podcast. What does that mean to be a drug distributor? And they specifically are asking what's the language that's being used here? They say, if a person asks for a controlled substance and another person gives it to the person who's requesting it, is the person who hands over that controlled substance considered to be distributing drugs? Wow, that's what are we to make. The prosecution obviously say.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but we've talked about this because how many times, you know, have you even let's just say it's advil, right, and say I want advil, I ask you to go get it for me. You go get the advil, give it to me. I have the ad bil, but now my daughter has a headache, so I give her some of the advil.
Speaker 4: Who's the distributor me or you.
Speaker 1: This is what they're dealing with. This is what they're dealing with. Yeah, even if you get past that legal question and is still a distributor, he's a distributor. But then if you're looking at these technicalities, are you then asking yourself? Am I going to send him to prison for the rest of his life for that? That's a human question, is it not?
Speaker 2: It sounds like a human question. They are looking for the legality behind it. And by the way, now the judge has to sit with the prosecution and the defense and once again come up with a solution for an answer, because what does the judge say to this, Well, that all again has to be negotiated, and so that's happening, and they will then come up with whatever answer they want to give that they've collectively agreed upon tomorrow morning at nine am. Because I was asking, when court comes back in session tomorrow, does the jury is there a formal like, hey, everybody, the jury's seated, ditties, their families, their judges, their prosecution, defense and then if there's anything that has to be worked out, they work it out and then the jury goes to the deliberation room.
Speaker 3: But there's that immediate or initial meeting.
Speaker 1: Don't they have to call court back into session. They have to, They have to write, so that means they got to make sure and confirm for the record that everybody is present. Jury heads back for them.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: I think that makes sense, and then that would be the moment tomorrow morning at nine am that the judge would give the answer to the jury to their question.
Speaker 1: But it sounds like they're trying to figure that thing out that you and I went back and forth about so often. Who is a distributor? A distributor of drugs is should it be reserved for people who are trying to distribute drugs to the larger community? A money dealer for money. If he hands a pill to his girlfriend, that's drug distribution under a racketeering charge that could ultimately land him in jail for the rest of his life. You ask it that way, and that has to be a way that the jury is looking at it beyond just one pill. Okay, he's a drug distributor and he's a mocking pin.
Speaker 2: That's tough, yes, because it has to be either Yes, it has to be at one of the drug offenses, and then it has to be one of the other seven offenses, and both of those had to take place with a co conspirator.
Speaker 4: It's it is very confusing.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like they are still right now and it's five hours of deliberations. They are clearly in the racketeering section right now because that's the only time drugs come up is under that charge. So obviously that is what they have been deliberating. Was that racketeering charge, the one that carries the potential life in prison for Diddy?
Speaker 1: Good point, they started with the heavy one. That is, with out of doubt one hundred percent what they are working on. It has to be.
Speaker 2: That's the only that's the only point in which drugs would be of consideration. Well, I'm just saying, I was like thinking, I wonder how much we're going to get to know. It's so interesting trying to figure out where they are. What's happened now to Juror twenty five? Is he playing nice now? Has he decided to collaborate and to try to deliberate with them and or at least I don't know, agree to not have his mind completely made up.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure, but.
Speaker 2: I wonder when we'll find out and who will tell us like, that's where I've already jumped to.
Speaker 1: There are they're going to have to and we talked about this earlier. Robes all they have to prove that he or feel like he was guilty of two of yes, eight crimes to Ford to be racketeering, and one of them is the drug distribution charge, right, yes, So that means they are hung up on that point at least trying to decide whether or not he's guilty of that one.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: Is he a drug distributor or not? Is he or not? I don't know, Rose, I'm looking at this question. I'm trying to decide as a juror, and legally speaking, the prosecution says, yes, yes, this is fascinating. Yes, I gave a pill to my girlfriend. I'm a mob boss.
Speaker 2: You had to do it more than once, right, I think it had to have happened twice with the amount.
Speaker 1: If he does not matter one pill and they think he's guilty of the arson at kid cutty his car, and that's two and that counts. That's wild bribery, kidnapped. There was so many Oh my goodness, you all we're trying to keep a handle on it and We're trying to keep you all straight. And look, if we sound confused sometimes, I'm sure you all are confused too. We're just going to be confused together. So this is not necessarily a place to come to get clarity, but maybe a misery.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yes, we talk it out. We talk it through whatever we're reading. But we are looking at all the different accounts from the courtroom and they do vary from here to there. But it's been a fascinating day. We thought it might be quiet. The jury did not disappoint. They've certainly caused quite a bit of interest throughout the trial and it looks like that is going to continue as we watch them from just a few blocks away deliberate. It'll be back at nine am again tomorrow, and of course we will continue to keep you updated throughout the day on all things Diddy as.
Speaker 4: The jury deliberates. I made me roboch for my partner T. J. Holmes. We hope you all have a wonderful night.