Speaker 1: My Guess is a Hall of Fame speaker who has been named one of the Outstanding five speakers in the world. He is the author of several best selling books, including A Setback Is A Setup for a Comeback, An Attitude of Excellence, and his new book Rich Is Good, Wealthy is Better. I got it right here, ladies and gentlemen, just finish reading it. He specializes in helping people to turn their setbacks into amazing comebacks and helping you grow your wealth by growing yourself. Please welcome the Money Making Conversations Masterclass the one and only Doctor Willie Jolly.
Speaker 2: Thank you, my brother, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: You know I have only just a minute, only sixty seconds in it for us. Upon me can't refuse it. I didn't seek it, I didn't choose it. But it's up to me to use it. I must suffer if I lose it, get a counter five abuse it just a tiny little minute, but our eternity is wrapped up, and I'm grateful for this minute, this moment, this opportunity to be with my guy Brushawn McDonald.
Speaker 2: Thank you my brother. First of all, you know I love him.
Speaker 1: I listened to his show religiously on a serious example.
Speaker 2: I always always text him, I call him man.
Speaker 1: Just sometimes you have to let brother know or friend know you listen by dropping a little krumb about an episode.
Speaker 2: You just heard, and you go, oh, whoa oh, he does listen to my show.
Speaker 3: It encourages me so much when I get those comments from you, Thank you man. You just don't know how much I appreciate it. And I'm grateful. I'm grateful, grateful.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I always like to get my audience locked in, you know, don't want to lose them because they want to listen real quick and see it's something they want to hear.
Speaker 2: Rich is good, Rich is good, Wealthy is better. Rich is good.
Speaker 1: I would say that one more time wealthy is better because the word rich and wealthy.
Speaker 2: What is the difference there? Right, Doctor Colin, you know what?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you how this book came to be. I, as you know, have been on Serious Exam Channel one forty one now.
Speaker 2: But I've been on Serious Exam.
Speaker 3: I was first on the Power on one twenty six and then I'm moved over to one twenty one thirteen years ago.
Speaker 2: I've been on Exem for twenty years.
Speaker 3: And over those twenty years, I've had the honor of interviewing some of the greatest wealth creators of our time, people like Bill Marriott and David Rubinstein and David Stewart, America's wealthy as black Man, Bob Johnson, Sheila Johnson, Ted le ELS's the found co founder of Netflix, one after another, Damon John John ho'brien, and over those years, I was inspired by them, but I didn't know the difference between being rich and wealthy.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought I knew.
Speaker 3: But about four years ago that the proverbial light bulb went off above my head and I said, oh my god, I got it. Bob Johnson had tried to tell me, but I didn't get it. I didn't capture it. But finally it came to my brain, here's the difference. And I said, well, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know the difference. Maybe I'm the outlier here. So I went around the country and doing my speaking engagement to corporations on my tours and ask people, Hey, what do you say when I say the word rich?
Speaker 2: What do you think? They's a immediate number one answer, million dollars. You got a million dollars, you're rich? Okay, great? Now, if rich is a million, what's wealthy? And they'll look up in the air.
Speaker 3: They'll ponder for a minute, and they say, I guess it's five million, ten million, a billion.
Speaker 2: And I realized other people didn't know either, okay.
Speaker 3: And said, I said, if they don't know, how will they ever hit it. It's like this, sir, rouseean if I gave you a rock and say hit the closest wall to where you're sitting, You hit the rock with the wall close to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it.
Speaker 3: Now let's say I say here's the rock again, but this time, before you throw it, I want to put you a blindfold over your eyes, turn you around until you can't know which direction you're facing.
Speaker 2: Now do it again? Well, can you do it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: It's hard to hit what you can't see, and it's even harder to hit what you don't know. And I realized most people did not know the difference between being rich and wealthy.
Speaker 2: And I was one of them.
Speaker 1: Now, let's talk about the book a little bit more detailed. You know, my mindset money mindset, because that's what you're talking about. People can drive a car, people can live in a house, and I call that working wealthy anyway, So if you start working, then your wealth goes away. That's understanding is there's mailbox money and they're working money, and we're trying to do is transition people from the working money to the mailbox money.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, well, there are two groups that this book is focused on, Rushan. The first group are the people who want to be wealthy but don't know how to get there, and they can take these lessons I've learned from these wealth creators, and look, I'm just teaching what I've been taught. So the first is helping people get to wealth. But the second group, Rushan, is where we're seeing the greatest response is amazing. People are buying it. In volume eight nine ten, one lady bought a box thirty copies. She said, I want one for every child, every grandchild, every niece, every nephew. Here are the people who have worked hard all their lives, scrimped, saved, sacrificed, done without so they could create a nest egg, and they're concerned that their children will not take care of it and will squander it. Or as one man said to me, he said, doctor Jolly, my greatest fear is that my children will not treat my money like I treated it, and they will go through in months what it took decades and decades and decades for me to grow.
Speaker 2: I want help. This book is the answer.
Speaker 3: I recommend every parent, everybody who has a nest egg get copies of this for people who are in their family. You asked about the mindset, as you said, and you've read the book. I talk about the five money mindsets. The lowest level is the one day mindset. That's the person who stands on a corner with a cardboard box every day saying, give me enough money for the day, and they repeat that process every day.
Speaker 2: We've all seen them.
Speaker 3: Then you got the thirty day mindset, which are the people who are on fixed income, whether they're retirement, social Security, or in welfare, whatever it is that it comes in thirty day payments and every month they are looking forward to that next month.
Speaker 2: They think month, the month.
Speaker 3: Then you get the one year mindset, people who think a year to year. Did I make more money this year than last year? Did I get a cost of living raise this year? Then you get the decade mindset, which is the mindset we typically see with athletes and entertainers. A baseball player might get a ten year contract to play baseball and for ten years, one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: And he's bawling. He got five Bentleys, four rolls, Royces to homes.
Speaker 3: Jet, he's rolling, he balling, he got table savers when he go to the club.
Speaker 2: I mean, he got it all.
Speaker 3: But if he does not renew that contract, or if he gets hurt and does not modify his lifestyle, he's going to be broke. And that is why over seventy percent of professional athletes are broke five years after retirement.
Speaker 2: But then we got the wealth mindset. And the wealth.
Speaker 3: Mindset is a mindset that says thinks generation, the generation, the generation. You know, the Bible says that a good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children's great grandchildren. And so my goal in the book is to get each level to go up one level, just one level.
Speaker 2: The one day guy, it's too big.
Speaker 3: A jump for him to think generationally at this point. But if I can get him just to go up to the thirty day, and if I can get to thirty day, people to get up to one year, and I get to one year, folks to get up to the ten year and I get to ten folks to get up to the generation, then I've done my job. And so that's why I'm encouraging people to go to Riches's Good, Wealthy is Better, get copies of the book, read the excerpts we have there.
Speaker 2: But we want to change people's mindset. And you hit it right on the head.
Speaker 3: It's about a mindset. Wealth starts in your mind. It starts in your mind.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss an episode of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. So right now, follow a subscribe to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's free and you can find.
Speaker 4: It on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Please don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations master Class with me for Sean McDonald. Now from a minority community, you've heard it all the time. You know, we're the last to get different mats, were the last to get hired, the first to get fired, and the first get laid off. That's a cycle, especially that one day cycle or that third you know, there's number two mindset, which is the thirty day cycle.
Speaker 2: Right live to check to check. Right.
Speaker 1: With that being said, people will listening to the show, Let's switch that over to the small business owner entrepreneurs. Yeah, they trying to survive beyond the thirty day cycle. They're trying to get to the year plan because they got to project. How do you look at them when they come to you for advice, doctor Willie Jobbles.
Speaker 3: You know, and as an entrepreneur and as a guy who has had.
Speaker 2: A small business with a small team.
Speaker 3: And they classify small business less than five hundred people. And so I've had a small business all my life. I got a small team. But here's what I say to entrepreneurs and for those who listen to me on my ex sum show, you know that one of the focus areas is for the entrepreneurs, entrepreneurs and small business people. And I encourage you to tune in after you listen to ra Sean on his show, tune in on Saturday's four o'clock Channel one forty one re airs Tuesdays and Thursdays at six and then it goes to podcasts, The Willie Jolly Wealthy Ways Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Now here's what I say to small business people.
Speaker 3: The key to success in growing wealth is discipline.
Speaker 2: You got to have discipline, and discipline.
Speaker 3: Is across all the types of wealth, cause there are five types of wealth that I discussed in the book. First kind of wealth, of course, is financial wealth. But the second kind of wealth is health wealth. If you are sick, you cannot enjoy the great revenues you're generating. It is said that Steve Jobs on his deathbed said I'd give all the money away for more time. And my friend Les Brown says it like this, and I wrote it in the book. He said, the sick person has one dream, while the healthy person has a thousand dreams. You want to be healthy, so your health wealth is number two. Number three is relationship wealth. It's not just where you're going, but who's going with you.
Speaker 2: And that's big.
Speaker 3: Then you got the fourth type of wealth, which you are so powerful in uh sean you in three and four, particularly relationship because your relationships are incredible. But also your reputational wealth what people say about you in the marketplace. And finally we call it now a brand, you know, a personal brand, but it's really your reputation. And the type of wealth is your intellectual capital wealth. What do you know, and what are people willing to pay you because of that? So it's about mindset. Wealth starts in the mind, and it starts with discipline. You must have discipline to succeed in any of those wealth. If you not help discipline about your health, if you just eat everything you want and never work out, and drink all the time and smoke all the time, then you're not going to be healthy. So you got to have discipline. And so these are the things that I think is critical for small business people entrepreneurs is that you must make a decision have discipline. One more thing about the amount of money you make, because many people say, well it's about the amount of money. No, no, no, it's about your discipline and what you do with the money. See, regular folks work for their money. Wealthy people make their money work for them. I eat in the book. You read the book. I talk about Mary Ellen Pleasant, who was a domestic worker in the nineteen hundreds who never made more than six thousand dollars a year cleaning people's homes. But she lived below her means and she invested the difference, and as a result of that, her net worth rose to two point seven million dollars. She never made more than six thousand dollars a year. Or how about the secretary back in the sixties early seventies, before the internet, who lawyers at her firm would come and say, here's my stock by today, place this with my broker. She would make the call, and after a while she said, I wonder why they're doing that. So over lunch she would ask them, why are you investing in stocks? Why are you doing that? How do you do it? They taught her over lunch she started making the same stock pick sheet that they made. She never made more than forty five thousand dollars a year, but she started buying little bits of stock like they did. They might buy a hundred share, She buy one share. When she retired she had a portfolio of eight million dollars. And so I'm saying to this folks, rich is good.
Speaker 2: Wealthy is better. Now.
Speaker 3: I got to tell you, folks, here's some bad news. Everybody's not going to be rich. The Bible says that the poor will be with you always. Everybody is not going to be rich. But anybody, oh let me say it again, anybody can become well if you use these principles in the book because anybody can do what it says, as long as you've got three thanks, listen care the book, I tell you the three legs to wealth. One income, you gotta have money coming in, some money. Two you gotta live below your means, and then you invest the difference, so you gotta have income. And then you gotta have investments. And the third leg is insurance. You gotta protect the asset with insurance. So you gotta have life insurance. If you love your family, you gotta have life insurance. If you want generation or wealth, you gotta have life insurance. Number two, you gotta have health insurance. You gotta have car inchurane, disability insurance and long term care insurance. That will maintain the molt, the pit, the force field around your wealth. You do that, you wanna be on your way. And everybody needs to have that. Last, everybody needs to have at least two streams of income. And in the book I put the eight streams of income. You got to have two streams of income. It could be thoughts, could be bonds, it could be real estate, it could be crypto. It could be collectibles, it could be a jewelry, it could be paintings, the eight streams that you could choose from, or like you you creating content Rashan, you're content creator. Everybody can do something with their brain, So I think that's important. This book is packed with stuff, and I grew because of what I learned in writing this.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and that's why I got you on the show. Because I'm speaking if you don't know one of the five outstanding speakers in the world, as you can tell you know. The thing about it was the one word that you didn't bring up in this conversation is pride. Come on, somebody, because when you say living but know your means that means that means that with the plan in the words I always go back and tell my staff. When I was in my twenties, this guy would always tell me white guy.
Speaker 2: Yep. He would tell me, hey, just save one hundred and fifty dollars a month.
Speaker 1: In my mind, I could not understand what he was talking about because my pride went, man, I could do something with that one hundred and fifty dollars. I got some clothes, right, I can go on the trip. My pride would not allow me to invest that money. Now, twenty years later, I understood what he was talking about, right, right, Pride is not part of my vocabulary or my lifestyle.
Speaker 2: That's right. So that's truck about pride, because that's what your whole book is about.
Speaker 1: Yep, Lauren applied the pride and then uplifting the intellect and the plane.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: In the book, I talk about Bust the stories who you might have had on the store. He's on another channel on XM. Buster dead friend, former pastor. He now teaches people how to get out of debt and how to grow their wealth. And Buster said, when he was a young pastor, he pride. He wanted to have a Catillac like the rest of the passes. He wanted to have fancy clothes. So he lived up to his paycheck all the.
Speaker 2: Way, never saving any money. And he said one day and he had to.
Speaker 3: Have clothes with the designer label on it. He had had to have a certain kind of look and a certain kind of clothes. And he said, once I realized that my pride was killing my wealth, I had to let the pride go so I could grab hold of the wealth. And I think that's what we have to do. The other thing that this book talks about is this thing called arrogance.
Speaker 2: Arrogance that I got the answers.
Speaker 3: One of the things I've learned is I don't have all the answers, and I cannot be arrogant, nor do you want to be ignorant. So if you can get the book, input, determins, output, what you put in, tarringes what you put out. But if you've got arrogance and ignorance, you on your way down because you no one can help you. But as Less Brown says, he said he arrogant and ignorant, no one can help you.
Speaker 2: But if you're willing to learn, no one can stop you. And that's what we want people to know.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss an episode of Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 4: Masterclass, So right now follow a subscribe to Money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: It's free and you can find.
Speaker 4: It on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations master Class. Welcome back to Money Making Conversations master Class with me with Shan McDonald. The riches good, Wealthy is Better, Actor Willing, Jolly he's communicating the values of information or consistency and a plan.
Speaker 2: Yes. Without any of that.
Speaker 1: Then you will get confusion, frustration, and debt because average person lift that wins. When you conngress, that wins. When you're ignorant, that's winds. When you pride before planning.
Speaker 2: That's right. Right.
Speaker 1: We try to get you out of debt and get you into planning. But then the planning part is like looking in the other yard, driving the car, yeah, wearing the clothes ye, going on social media, trying to post because social media has become the biggest I think the advocate of false pride no questions as you to compete for images that you don't know if are real or not. That's from your book. Rich is good, Wealthy is better. You talk about overcoming the odds a lot. Yeah, book, let a set back hold you back?
Speaker 2: That's right. Why don't you talk about that so much? Because I'm a walking, talking testament of failing. Okay, failing. I was a nightclub singer.
Speaker 3: For those who have never never read my book, Setback, set Up for Comeback, I recommend you go to my website. When with Willie dot com, When will Willie dot com look for my products to help you win icon click it and get the book or.
Speaker 2: Set back as a setup for comeback.
Speaker 3: First couple pages in the book, I tell my story where I was a nightclub singer, singing in nightclubs, making a living, winning the awards Best Jazz Singer, Best Entertainer, Best Performer in Washington, DC. Why not at winning the nightclub the club onwner said, we love your band, but we've made a change. There's something new going around called Carryoki. I said, what a walker? They said, karaoke and it's a lot cheaper than a band. We're going to give that a shot for a while. And I said, but what about my bills? I learned that nobody care about your bills but you and the people you owe.
Speaker 2: Am I right about it? I want to ask it? And so I said, what am I going to do?
Speaker 3: A friend of mine gave me a cassette tape with a motivational messages and a book. The book was called Think and Grow Rich. I never heard a motivational tape. I never heard of motivation message. I never read a book from cover to cover. Because see Rashwan, I was half of the class in high school that made the top half possible, okay, And so I read the book and there's a premise in the book that says, wherever there's an adversity, at that same place as a seed for great opportunity. And I said, okay, where's my opportunity. The opportunity was working for the school system as a drug prevention coordinator. I got this job talking to little kids, little kids about stand away from drugs. From the little kids, the teachers would say, oh, we want you to teach, Come talk for our group. And then someone there would say, can you come to my church? And someone in the church would say, can you come to my company? And then Les Brown heard about this guy who was a speaker who could also sing, and he was looking for an opening act for his music and motivation Dream Team tour, and he invited me to be an opening act. The tour was Les Brown, Billy Preston, the great organist, Gladys Knight, and a little guy from DC Me. Because I was a lesson Gladys they introduced me to radio people and I got a little radio show. It got syndicated. You can now hear me across America every morning on Get Up Mornings with Erica Campbell on the Praise Network and as the eight twenty Every Morning. That led to XM, where I now have been on for twenty years, have the number one self help to Grow Your Wealth show in America. And then that led to a book publisher calling and saying, I like your ideas. Have you ever thought about writing a book? I said no, I never thought about it. He said, let me make you an offer.
Speaker 2: I said, I just thought about it.
Speaker 3: I wrote a book called It Only Takes a Minute Change of Life, came a national bestseller. Then a Setback Is a setup for Comeback, became a global bestseller, then turned setbacks into green backs, then an Attitude of Excellence, then Chicken Soup for the soul, and then make Love, Make Money.
Speaker 2: Make it last.
Speaker 3: The book I wrote with my wife. We've been married forty years, We've been on your show.
Speaker 2: Here, I'll go bring it up. I know you were, I know you were. That's right. It was a right, that was ADZ. That's right.
Speaker 3: And we haven't had an argument in thirty eight years now that we wanted today show. They said you never had an argument. I said no, I didn't say that. I said, we haven't had an argument in thirty eight years. Those first couple of years were like World War Three, but we learned how to not argue. We put it in a book and we also put it on our ted talk. You can get that at Jollymarriage dot com. And then in nineteen ninety nine, I was named one of the top five speakers in the world by Toast Masters two thousand and five, Inducted in the Speaker Hall of Fame in twenty thirteen, named the Top five Leadership Speaker in twenty seventeen, a legend of the speaking industry, and in twenty twenty three, I got the highest award in the speaking industry, the Cavot Award, which is like the Heisman, and I'm the first African American man to get that award.
Speaker 2: And here's the lesson I say to everybody.
Speaker 3: I failed, I've messed up, I've had setbacks, but I want to aim courage everybody who's listening that your setback is not the end of the story, is not the end of the road unless you choose it to be. A setback is a set up for a comeback. And I'm saying to each and every one of you, listen carefully, folks, that a setback is a setup for your greater comeback. You just have to have the mindset so that answers your question, Rashan, that it is about making a decision and not let stuff stop you and not get down in the dumps. And you and I both know we've both been through some tough moments.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we refuse to give up, and that's why we're here today.
Speaker 1: Finally, you know, as we wrap up this conversation, Willie Jolly, if someone listening or watching can take one message from riches good, wealthy is better, what would you want it to be?
Speaker 3: The main message I wanted to be is that you are able to transform your life no matter what your age, no matter what your income. I interviewed a guy the other day, Reggie Irby, who was a drug dealer and a drug addict in West Philadelphia. He was able to get into the service. He went in the Navy, He served his time in the Navy, came out and worked for the fire department. He retired from the fire department, and then he got another job. He retired from the second job. And when he retired the second time, since he already had a retirement from the fire department, they gave him a pool of money twelve thousand dollars, and he said, well, I could go on a what you said earlier, I could go buy a car, or I could go on a trip, or I could do a lot with that money. But he decided to invest the money at sixty five in the stock market, and he just kept putting a little bit in every month. He's now seventy two, and he said, I now have a portfolio of eight hundred and ninety thousand dollars. What my message for people is never too late to start. And as long as you start, Look, when is the best time to plan a tree that takes eighty years to grow eighty years ago?
Speaker 2: When's the second best time today? Do it now? Go to riches. Good wealthy is better. Get the book.
Speaker 3: Get it for all your children, your grandchildren, people in your family. We're going to change this wealth gap that we have in opportunity by information, and that's my job. I want to thank my friend Rushan. Now did you hear the shout out I gave you on the radio a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: You make me laugh all the time I go because you know, I don't want it. I just love being a background voice, Oh man, you and I felt grateful for you. Man, I am so grateful for you and your friendship.
Speaker 3: Over the years. How you've been in my corner and I just want to thank you.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 1: Rich is good, Wealthy is better than one and only doctor Willie Jolly. And when I come back and interview him again, I got a brigage wife because you do this story from his house.
Speaker 2: The kitchen was in the back. She's wonderful.
Speaker 1: She's just as gracious as he is in providing information that will help you win.
Speaker 2: Thank you, doctor Willi Johley coming and folks, thank you and everybody.
Speaker 3: Go to Richard Goodwealthy Beetter dot com get some of the free excerpts that's our gifted it.
Speaker 2: Thank you now.
Speaker 1: If you want to be a guest on my show, Money Making Conversation Masterclass, please visit our website, Moneymakingconversation dot com and click to be a guest button. If you're a small business owner, entrepreneur, motivational speaker, influencer, a nonprofit, I want you on my show.