Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show.
Speaker 3: We're less than three months, less than ninety days until the midterms coming up in November. This this is the nitty gritty and I've got a perfect guest to talk about it today, Steve Schmidt, our friend from Save America. And Steve, you've been in this position before. You've seen this movie before, the kind of the home stretch. We're not quite to Labor Day, which used to be the you know, the traditional kickoff of the campaign, and here we are. I think that one of the things we should dive into is Trump just did this interview with punch Bowl News during which he seemed to ignore the fact that he is deeply unpopular in this country. And I don't know if we showed this on screen, but he said it's congressional Republicans that have the problem right now. He says, Trump told us Trump's at GOP voters are very angry with congressional Republicans and he declined to back John Thune for Senate Majority Leader.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on all this, Steve, like.
Speaker 4: Much of what Trump says there's an element of truth to what he said and a lot of delusion around what he said. And this is key if you're sitting around a strategy table around the DNC to understand a couple of core things about your opponent is number one, seventy percent of the country is against Trump. MAGA has fallen apart. The political coalition that elected him two years ago minus ninety days is gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you took a glass and threw it against a brick wall and shattered it, that's what he did to his political coalition, Hispanic voters, Black voters, young men, all god ka boom. Now, part of Donald Trump's disease, what's wrong with him is that he doesn't understand the word no, and he has not heard it from anyone around him ever. And so nobody has told Donald Trump that the key to surviving the election is less Donald. What they have all told him is what the American people want is more Donald.
Speaker 5: The more you talk, the more rallies you do, the better off you'll be.
Speaker 4: And the reality of that is all it does is increase the rate of spin of the proverbial Republican plane upon which they are all on, which is auguring into the ground at warp Drive.
Speaker 5: Now, put that aside for just a second.
Speaker 4: When when Donald Trump goes out there and he says all of the things that he's saying, which is that Republicans voters are mad at the Republican leaders, Well, there is truth to that, because there is a dynamic of imploding political coalitions, of physics to it that is very similar to the collapse of a white star. The giant dwarf. Is that star collapses right on its way to becoming a black hole.
Speaker 5: It gets smaller. But does it get smaller, It.
Speaker 4: Gets denser, Yeah, denser, it gets hotter, it gets heavier. So as the party is getting smaller, what's left around him are the true fanatics, and every one of them his dead enders in that shrinking party, at that white heart, hot core, crazy base. Whose fault is it? It's John Thune's fault. Yeah, And so that's what he hears in a world where the last sycophant who talked to him is the one that matters most. And then he'll hear what he hears from Fox News, and that is the insanity of his cocoon.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's totally true. I mean, this is a Republican Senate this week that was persecuting doctor Fauci while advancing Todd Blanche. I mean that that sort of sums things up in a nutshell. It seems to me.
Speaker 4: I Todd Blanche is the most corrupt lawyer in American history, for none competitors or I suppose Pambondi who's ever held a high American government position. And it bears mentioning right that all of the top Nazis who planned the Wansea conference, who were there at the planning of the Holocaust.
Speaker 5: They were all lawyers.
Speaker 4: And there are a lot of incredible lawyers in America, but there are a lot.
Speaker 5: Of unethical lawyers. And the idea.
Speaker 4: Right for lay people like us who are not lawyers, who have respect for the bar in the rule of law, we have had. I think our delusions broke it. Yeah, there's such a thing as legal ethics, and so when you look at the repair job that has to be done, I don't think there is such a thing as legal ethics. I don't think the bar associations enforced legal ethics, and I think it's tough to maintain our democracy, our and our rule of law. The concept that no one's above it or below it unless we have legal ethics. There's an enormous societal novel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great observation, Steve. I mean, if there's one institution, I mean the media, it's they're sort of neck and neck the legal profession and the top law firms in this country and the corporate media in this country in terms of outright cowardice. And you know, you do have a couple of Republican senators and Susan Collinson, and I guess Lisa Murkowski has come out and said she's not going to support Todd Blanche and she said something very interesting in her tweet that she put out very early Friday morning this morning, in what she said that you know, the slush fund could obviously come back if he's confirmed. The reason why the slush fund is dead right now is, and she says this in her tweet, is because the Senate has leverage. And she's absolutely right, and that speaks to what you're saying, Steve, that that's how thoroughly corrupt this administration and this Justice Department is right now and Todd Blanche is right now because you have to assume that they are going to do the opposite of what they have pledged not to do.
Speaker 4: A few months ago, was hanging out one night and looking for something to watch, and I said to my wife, I've never watched Judgment at Nuremberg, and so we watched it and it was incredible. The final scene of the movie is Spencer Tracy is in this fictional account, but Spencer Tracy is the American judge. He's the presiding judge at the tribunal, and the Bert Lancaster character, if memory served, his name is Ernst Yawning, and Ernst Yawning in the movie is an esteemed German judge, a lawyer and jurist who collaborates with the Nazis, disdains the crudeness of the Nazis he's on trial with because he's a learned, areudite man who is deeply respected all over the world for his commitment to the rule of law and democracy. In any way, he's on trial for war crimes, and at the end, after he's been sentenced by Spencer Tracy, he asked to see him and his jail cell, and the American judge goes to see him, and Bert lank Castor expresses to Spencer Tracy that he believes that justice is done, but he wants to be understood, and he says to the Spencer Tracy character, you must understand that we didn't know that it would come to this. And the Spencer Tracy character responds to him. It says, Harry Yanning, it came to this in the first instant, that you sentenced an innocent man to death. The Department of Justice, in this malignant Trump presidency, under the corrupt administration of corrupt lawyers like Janine Piro Todd Blanche Pambondy, and corrupt officials like Christy nom who weaponized federal law enforcement agencies against the American people, have made it routine to harass, to prosecute, and try to lock up innocent people in the United States of America in twenty twenty six. It is the most fundamentally disqualifying conduct of any person who has ever been and associated with the Department of Justice, and that it would be tolerated by any United States senator in any party for any reason is inexcusable. And when there are people like Tom Tillis who says he's going to write a book exposing the degeneracy of the magot insiders, maggots. He calls them, he's a magot. He's on their team. He showers with Steven Miller. What doesn't Tom Tillis understand about that? He scratches his back, They share it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he missed his moment, He missed his chance.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, to stand and deliver and he totally totally, uh chickened out.
Speaker 2: It's it's disgraceful.
Speaker 4: It's you had a you had a German general named Charlteats refused Hitler's order to burn Paris down, and charlt Eats it was no hero.
Speaker 5: He was a committed Nazi. Uh. In the end Uh.
Speaker 4: He he denounced the Nazis, talked about how they hypnotized everybody he went along.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And he was no hero. And so there are some people that are not going to be heroes in this, but are going to make it stop, right Tom Tom Tillis is not one of those people. He'll never be a general Charlteats he is.
Speaker 5: He is a.
Speaker 4: First order collaborator in a poisonous, fruscistic political movement that is the singular gravest threat to the American Constitution into our liberty since the Confederate States of America on the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, this is no profile encourage moment, There's no question about it. But let me ask you about how this campaign is shaping up right now, Steve, because you're you're accustomed to these tactics and messaging and so on. Trump is this was a headline on the Telegraph the other day. Trump is resurrecting the Red scare. He's tweeting that the Democrats are communists and all this stuff. And you know, he's going off on Abdul Ilsa yet and so on as being a communist and so on, and obviously he's not.
Speaker 2: That's not the case.
Speaker 3: And I would say ninety nine point nine nine percent of Democrats are not communists. It feels a little well, I don't know, like he's watched too many Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone movies like or even predating that. I mean, it's just I don't see how this tactic works. What do you think?
Speaker 5: Well, so let's break it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is going to be a banner year for democratic governors. Yeah, it's going to be a banner year for democratic congress people, House members. The Senate map under Schumer's leadership is much more complicated, and the reality is that there's a cost to the incompetence.
Speaker 2: And the.
Speaker 4: Senate majority was Democrats for the taking, but it looks increasingly like they're on a track to not get it, so they have to do some things differently. David Pluff in eight was running the McCain campaign. He said something that was deeply true, as you're coming down the stretch when you put all the bullshit aside, and he said, every day when we get up, I have more and more ways to win, and they have less. Our map is expanding and theirs is collapsing. What he was trying to say is that in a game where you're trying to throw a football through the tire, they were getting closer to the tire every day, and we were getting further from the tire every day. And on the last day they had to throw at six inches through the tire, and we had to throw at eighty yards through the tire, which was which was near, which was near impossible to do. Whatever you say about Abdul Elsayada, I'm going to try to take people through some of the discussions that take in the room that most people are ever able to be in about politics and what the calculus is. One of my favorite baseball players, Kevin Gossman of the Toronto Blue Jays, really a legend in the city, a great guy, you know, the type of character that you want to have right on any type of team. This is a guy who found out he was traded on the plane and rude to a city on the team that he's been on for five years. Right, So it's in that sense, Yeah, old analytical, I'm going to go through some of this stuff. The Susan Collins was a beatable candidate. I don't think the Democrats have a winning candidate in me. I think Maine is a disaster. It is a disaster that is not the Republican's fault. It's the Democrats fault. Main Democrats fault, It's Washington Democrats fault. So I don't think Republican I don't think Democrats are going to win there in Michigan. And you saw this phenomenon with Republicans in the early Key Party days where you had a candidate famously in twenty ten, Sharon Angle, the very.
Speaker 2: First person that was right. Yeah, I remember that to.
Speaker 5: Say that.
Speaker 4: Nine to eleven was an inside job, which was shocking at the time that I was aware of. Ever, with Sharon Angle, she lost in Michigan. You have the weakest of the three Democrats won in terms of a general election. But the reason he won is because the other candidate in the race was a Schumer Democrat.
Speaker 6: He was not.
Speaker 4: And had she said I'd cut my hand off before I made him leader again, then she would have won.
Speaker 5: Now you look then at how.
Speaker 3: So I think some people might disagree with Hailey Stevens. I mean she might have been they did.
Speaker 4: She was a weak candidate. And however on the polling, Yeah, the polling ran. He doesn't mean he can't win. Everything like in baseball, has a number. He was the weakest of the nominees in a general election, and he's behind in the race in a state with a Democratic senator that a Republican could win. Okay, now you look at the Montana Senate race, which is really now a four person race. The Democratic candidate is a life coach who promises eleven thousand percent returns on investments. With twenty three thousand dollars in the bank, I'm going to say something. I've never been wrong about this in my entire political career. I'm looking at her statements about her military record. She's exaggerating over and over again her record of military service. On the campaign trail. She claims to do things that she did not do. And I'm just very sensitive to that language of exaggeration and resume, embellishment and enhancement.
Speaker 5: You have an independent candidate who most of the.
Speaker 4: Democratic former governors and senators is behind, Guy Bodner, first in his class at West Point, Rhodes scholar, green Beret.
Speaker 5: All right, he can win that race.
Speaker 2: I bet him. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You have strong two.
Speaker 4: Democrats in in in UH the Deep South, black prosecutor Scott Colum and Mississippi.
Speaker 5: This matters in the state.
Speaker 4: Medde Evers and Fannie lou Hamer are from great candidate Louisiana. Jamie Davis, a a African American, a farmer. You look at the South Carolina race, Annie Andrews. You look at the Iowa race. You look at the Alaska race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Josh Turik and Iowa absolutely. Mary.
Speaker 4: Look at you look at the nominee a Democratic pastor in Kansas, Tela Rico is running strong right now. But Democrats are going to have to expand the map.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, the Republicans to spend the Money's another.
Speaker 4: Because what I think is going to happen is I think MAGA and Republican turnout is going to collapse, and I think Hispanic and Black turnout is going to be at a record high everywhere in the country, and Democratic turnout is going to be at a record high. So I think the combination of the collapse of MAGA turnout, a surge of Democratic turnout there's nothing to do with the Democratic Party, and a surge of black turnout in the Deep South, and of Hispanic turnout, including in Iowa, is going to be determinative in a number of these different different states. But the strategy by Team Schumer is right at the Iceberg.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so the Senate is.
Speaker 4: Vastly underperforming where they should be in these national in these national rings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean we were getting contacted by the Halle Schoffner campaign. She is a Democrat running for the Senate in Arkansas against Tom Cotton. They have an internal poll that shows that she's pretty tight with Tom Cotton. Who knows whether or not that actually pans out. But I think that this big term cycle is going to be extremely hard to predict. And I think that there are a number of Senate seats. I mean you mentioned Maine where yes, they obviously they don't have the best situation going in Maine right now, that there's no question about it, but they may pick up seats in places that we Democrats weren't dreaming about six months ago, places like Iowa, Alaska, you mentioned Mississippi. I think it's very possible that this is going to shake out a lot, a lot differently than maybe we think right now. But Steve, great to see my man, Jim as always, and we'll do this.
Speaker 2: Again, hopefully next Friday. You got it all right?
Speaker 3: It's oh shpitt, it's for thanks, Steve, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Good to see man. All right.
Speaker 3: Let's I want to get, you know, a slightly more youthful perspective than myself and Steve. We've had Adam on before. Let's bring him back in. He has some thoughts, Adam, how are you good to see you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: You sound good? Yeah, Well, we might need to turn you up a little bit slightly.
Speaker 2: Is a possible, am my closer.
Speaker 7: I'm on the last day of my vacation, finally took a week off, and I'm really happy to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on. How have you been doing.
Speaker 3: I've been doing great. It's good to see you. It's good to see you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I say youthful to kidding Lee a little bit, just to poke fun at me and Steve for being old guys. But but Adam, you saw what took place in Michigan. You know, Steve and others in the pro democracy movement I think have concerns as to whether you know this candidate here, this candidate there is going to perform as well as perhaps people hope. You know, I will say that I think a lot of people were making these kinds of predictions and statements about abdulah Sayed, and then I saw the way he performed out on the campaign trail. He beat the Schumer machine in Michigan. And yes, the race was a little tighter than maybe the polls were showing. But he's a pretty dynamic candidate and I think he's got a real strong chance of holding onto that seat. And that's not to mention all of the other Senate seats that are suddenly now in play.
Speaker 2: How do you see this, Shagana? What did you think of Michigan?
Speaker 7: I thought that the Michigan race was a really good microcosm of the way the Democratic Party has been feeling lately. So you're right to point out that the race was a lot closer than many people online predicted. But I think that a candidate like abdual Lsied winning really shows how hungry people are for change, not just young people, well, people across the Democratic base. They want a candidate who is pushing for real change. I mean, it's the same thing that Trump was able to capitalize off of being a change agent. There's a lot of reductive analysis saying that the Democratic Party is moving far left and voting for the far left candidates. First of all, Abdul Lsayed is a capitalist. He is a self described capitalist who is more progressive than many elected Democrats, but he is by no means a DSA socialist or communist. Secondly, it's reductive to say that the party is moving just left or left or because it's not happening. Are candidates that are rising to power, people like Abigail Spanberger and people like Andy Basher, and people like Zobron Mamdannie and people like Abdul Lsayed. We are expanding the tent and we are making sure that Americans are heard. I mean, young people in particular are growing up in institutions where they're just not really working for us. At times, a lot of young people are getting farther and farther away from buying a house. They're accumulating more and more medical debt, more and more healthcareacter. So when we're accumulating this debt and we're not capital positive, then why would be Why would young people be loyal to a system that is very much reliant on capital I describe myself as a capitalist. I think capitalism is the best system. I think there needs to be some sort of checks on at times that should not be unfettered. However, you can't expect young people well to be infinitely loyal to a system that hasn't been loyal to them. So when people are gravitating towards Zoron Mamdani or more DSA candidates, we have to analyze this through the actual lens of what's happening. And it's not as reductive as oh, young people are radical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I hear you, and I will say, you know, I'm the son of a human refugee. And so, you know, there's the old expression about socialism that you know, it spreads the money around until there isn't money anymore. And you know, I suppose that applies more to communism. But the way I look at some of these DSA candidates is that they sort of are are interested in a system, an economic system that's closer to what we see in Scandinavia, where you have national health care, where you have a better you know, social safety net, retirement system, that kind of thing, which I don't think is all together terrible.
Speaker 2: I mean, we spend a.
Speaker 3: Trillion dollars or more on national defense, and we don't have national health care in this country, and you have people going broke with medical bills. Even with Obamacare. It's still a totally screwed up systems. And so I can understand why. And young people. You know, the average age of first time home buyer now is forty years old. You're absolutely right at him. It's people are pissed about how this economy is shaking out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's manifesting and people wanting new types of candidates change agents, and Abdulla Laed seemed to be the change agent.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: Haley Stevens ran a really good campaign as well, but there is becoming, you know, a burden in the Democratic Party where if you're taking money from special interest groups, it actually hurts your campaign now, and APAC is the biggest one. There's of course many other special interest groups. But I believe the dollars a pack, sixty million dollars a pack put into this race, and it seemed to at some point just be like an anchor on Hailey Stevens. People would constantly bring up that she was that she was taking this money. And it's not even just about a pack. I think it's more of a litmus test for will you, as a candidate take money from special interest groups that distort the actual will of voters? Many voters are becoming its real knducting this war taking money from a pack is at odds with that. Abdul said showed that he won't be taking all of this money and we'd beholden to separate special interest groups. And I think that candidates who are willing to take a lot of that money are just frowned upon by the Democratic base. I think it's becoming more and more unpopular.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: I will point out it was like a what thirty thousand vote race. It's not like it was an absolute blowout in either direction. It was a very close race. But the fact that Abduel was able to climb the uphill battle of being a no name outsider to beating the tumor machine as you called it, to beating like tens of millions of dollars in APAC money. The base really does want change. We want change in any way possible, and honestly, I think a Duel is a really good candidate to do it. He's not some DSA. He's not some far left communist. He's a capitalist who's very educated and is seems like he has an aggression to him that will be good in Congress.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, And that's been a a common misnomer about ab Do.
Speaker 2: I'll say that, is that he's a DSA Kendy. He's not.
Speaker 3: He's a progressive Democrat who was a healthcare official in Wayne County.
Speaker 2: Mission.
Speaker 3: Again, I believe, and you know, we'll be talking to him, I think in just a little bit here, and I'm anxious to talk to him about what was done to doctor Fauci this week, and Adam, I guess you know, I'm curious what you think.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do, I do see shades of Barack Obama with Abdul al say Ed. I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you show a little bit of this video of I'll say that on Instagram. We can't play the music, but he's dancing, he's having a good time. I wanted to show this because yeah, I'll get dinged on YouTube or I mean, we play like copyrighted music or whatever, so we can't play. But he's I mean, you know, the guy looks like he's having a good time and everybody is so friggin depressed and pissed off these days. I do think it's healthy just to see somebody having a good time running for the running for Congress.
Speaker 7: It's very healthy. He's also running a very accessible campaign, Like at a time when the Democratic Party has been alienating and isolating a lot of independent voters or even like young men voters who are a little bit confused on the direction of the party, he's making it very accessible. I think there's a prototype of a candidate that does really well in American politics at this point, and it's being an outsider, a populist, somebody who is going up against the machine, and somebody who has big, bold ideas. So that was Obama at one point, that was Trump at one point. He was the outsider who was challenging the system with these big, bold ideas. That describes Zorn, even though he was an assemblyman, he was basically an outsider to the machine. And that describes Abdul al sayed. His campaign slogan was money out of politics, money in your pocket, and Medicare for all. It's very simple and accessible and every American can hear that, and nobody's talking about And then you add on top of that that he seems like a welcoming, affable, chill dude that goes a long way in politics. I think we've kind of lost that. I'd have a beer with him in a bar type of thing, because a lots of Democrats do feel a bit finger waggy, but Abdul is cool. I had him in my HQ in Chicago when he was visiting, and we did a fifteen minute interview, and what struck me is just how candid he was. He was saying about Elon Musk. He's like, Yeah, this guy has too much fucking money. He was just cussing about Elon Musk. He's talking to me like I talked to my friends, and I was like, this is somebody that I want in the Senate representing me. And he's very well educated.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, he's very well educated. It's true.
Speaker 3: And the other thing too, is I mean, people are pissed off about the war and getting back to you know, your demographic, Adam. There are worries and I don't know how founded they are. I don't think they're well founded, but who the fuck knows. With Donald Trump, people are worried about the draft coming back and the way I mean, we show this head we can show this headline of Trump and Pete Hegseth. Apparently Trump is pissed at Hegsath.
Speaker 2: They clashed at.
Speaker 3: Camp David over Iran missile depletion concerns. Apparently we've we've bombed the shit out of Iran so much, we're running out of missiles. And we have a trillion dollar defense budget, but we're running out of missiles, and so that's raising fears. I think with a lot of young people that you know, at some point, Trump's gonna be like, screw it. Let's just start invading and sending in young people to die, and who the who wants?
Speaker 2: Nobody wants to This is the stupidest war. It was made up.
Speaker 3: He could completely did this on his own without any you know, kind of expertise behind it or any kind any forethought behind it.
Speaker 2: And I assume, Adam, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of guys your age are completely I don't want to say completely freaked out about it, but very concerned.
Speaker 7: Very concerned. And it's it's just it's funny to me because Trump is now asking for one point six trillion for the next military budget in order to replenish the missiles that he wasted on the failed war with Iran. The CSIS says that we've used I think one third to one half of our stockpiles of interceptor missiles and FAD missiles, so we are depleting our stockpiles. Every missile that we use on this failing war is one less missile that Russia has to worry about, one less missile that China has to worry about if they want freedom of military action in regards to Taiwan or whatever they're planning. We want to have a safe America. And he's making America weaker, so as young people like we were promised no new wars. I didn't vote for Trump, obviously, but many young people were promised no new war, better economy, and none of that is manifesting right now.
Speaker 6: And I think the.
Speaker 7: Scariest part of it all is seeing the same people go on television lie about this war that lied about prior wars twenty years ago. Because we've always been told that if you go to war in the Middle East, it's going to make us safer, and we've always seen that fail with Afghanistan, with Iraq, it turned into these like grinding counter insurgencies where we paid trillions of dollars to get nothing out of it. Now we're seeing that same thing repeat, and they're even floating the idea of a draft for young people. I find it hard to believe that Republicans would do something so politically suicidal, but I mean, you don't know they've been doing politically suicidal things this entire time. I think the real scary thing is Number One, we're losing lives and the Pentagon seems to be covering it up. Number Two, we already pay a trillion dollars per year on the interest of our debt just to service our national debt, adding to that even more as it compounds and accumulates, and this war continues to fail, and then on top of that, the Strait of Hormuz not being under our control is like the largest failure ever. So from a young person's point of view, I mean, I remember my parents are young too, so I remember we would always talk about our action in the Middle East. My dad is from Syria, So my dad, right, he's well, he was born in the US, but he grew up in Syria. So he's always told me the US medaling in the Middle East in this way, and this way has blown back.
Speaker 2: In x and y Wa.
Speaker 7: And now in real time, I feel like I'm seeing this failed war being endlessly justified. I just want to say, like, I don't want Iron to have a nuclear weapon. That's not something that I want. I think it's really rational to be worried about that. But also we're not achieving that right now.
Speaker 3: Right And you mentioned the economy, and it just came out today that the economy lost jobs last month. You know, they were saying, oh, the World Cup's going to create all these jobs, and that.
Speaker 2: Didn't do shit.
Speaker 3: And the economy lost jobs, and they had to revise downward the previous two months by some one hundred thousand job I think we could show that headline.
Speaker 2: Let's show for a second there but twenty.
Speaker 3: Three thousand jobs down in July, and then they had to revise down the prietory months by combined one hundred and three thousand.
Speaker 2: So I mean the economy is not to either. And so I you know.
Speaker 3: People in your age demographic, they're sort of like, yeah, of course I'm going to listen to people like Abdul. I'll say, yeah, of course, I'm going to gravitate towards newer voices and not people backed by Chuck Schumer. I mean, I don't know why people find that mysterious.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And look like my audience spans across many generations, so I'm never trying to frame it as a generational battle. But there is this sort of broken generational compact that currently exists where many young people were told if they go to college, they are going to experience upward mobility, get a higher paying job, get more and more accolades, and more and more jobs, and more and more career stability. And we're seeing the opposite of that. Right now, a lot of young people are going to college and accumulating this debt, and then that debt is stopping them from actually getting an apartment or a house. And then it's interesting if you look at the stats, young people who go to college right now and young people who don't go to college right now are getting paid like basically the same amount. So you're taking out this debt and you're entering the workforce at the same place that people who didn't go to college rendering.
Speaker 2: It's an absolute mess.
Speaker 7: And yeah, people are looking for a change agent. Again, Like people like to paint young people as radical, but what I think is radical right now is the system that is kind of crushing young people. The healthcare system, the student debt system. What did our presidents say he wants housing to be higher. He doesn't want housing to be cheaper, he wants housing to be higher. He literally said that on camera and then he shot down or like, no, he didn't shot that. He failed to sign the housing bill that was by right pass but doing both sides, Democrats and Republicans in a bipartisan fashion, try to pass a housing bill to deregulate certain sectors that would help me, help you help anyone who wants to buy a home. Trump refused to sign that shit.
Speaker 5: He said, I'm not going to sign it.
Speaker 7: I want housing prices to go higher. So I'm sitting here as a young person with a bunch of other young people, and it feels like the system is right now built for older generations. Which is fine. It's not fine, but it's how it's been for a while. But here's what's really happening. It feels like older people are the main voting block in all of these areas. Because people who already own a home, who already are settled down in an area, and who are already kind of set, we'll have more time to vote and pay attention to politics. Young people are moving around a lot, go to different colleges, go to different classes, don't really have investment in certain communities yet, so young people vote less. Now, when politicians are elected, they look at the incentives created by who's voting for them. If a bunch of older generational folks are voting for these politicians and young people are failing to vote, then of course politicians are going to play to the older voting base and say we're not going to make your housing more expensive. We're not going to make housing more expensive or anything. We're not going to make housing cheaper. Sorry, We're not going to make your own housing cheaper for you and burn your asset. So I think we need to get more young people voting, more young people engaged. And that's happening with people like Zoe around and people like Abdul Lsayed. So we have all these problems with our institutions.
Speaker 2: A big thing.
Speaker 7: The big way to fix it is to get young people voting, millennials voting, and finally we have candidates that excite them, and a lot of democratic establishment people are pushing back at that.
Speaker 3: It feels like, yeah, there's a sort of you know, get off my lawn, you know, Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist of the clouds and that sort of thing. I will tell you, Adam, I remember covering the Obama campaign in two thousand and eight, and there was a lot of the same dynamic going on. I was talking to Dan Pfeiffer the other day, and he was Obama's communications director at the White House, and he agreed, you know, you know, Obama and Hillary, they fought to the finish. Obama won in two thousand and eight, a lot of the Hillary people were really pissed for a long time and they you know, some of them were vowing to sit out. They weren't going to back Barack Obama and all this kind of stuff. And then Obama slily but surely won a lot of them back. And I think some of it is just going to be, you know, incumbent upon progressives to sort of, you know, bring people back into the tent if they get a little pissed and go out for a smoke or something, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's basically how it's going to have to work.
Speaker 3: And Obama made Hillary Clinton the Secretary of State and that definitely healed a lot of the wounds in the party. But those wounds have popped back open again. But to me, that the rallying cry for Democrats. I mean, I do think it's a little self destructive of some of this deviceisness because the person that you really want to be focused on, it seems to me, if you're a Democrat is Donald Trump, and we should play he's sounding more and more like out of completely unhinged and just out in outer space.
Speaker 2: There's a SoundBite we should play. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was going to wait until the end of the show, but I'll play for you because I just think it's so I sort of want a young person's to take on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was at this event at the White House.
Speaker 3: He was talking about how a judge has made sports unconstitutional?
Speaker 8: Did you getting right from the beginning? And already we've done a lot to help save women's sports, and we're also saving college sports who're in the process of working very hard. We had a bad judge's decision hair there, and uh, a judge it knew nothing about sports, declared sports unconstitutional. Can you believe it? And we had to come and put something together. And we had the help of so many great people. They all came together and we have a bit now.
Speaker 2: That was he says that the judge declared sports on constant. That did not happen.
Speaker 3: By the way, we still have sports in this country. You can still play sports. But he did this with the Olympic athletes. And I think he was saying weird stuff to the speed skater who won the gold medals, where he was saying that he liked his legs or so wish he had legs, Like there's just and he's got the weird hair right now.
Speaker 2: And I've been having a lot of fun with the hair jokes lately.
Speaker 3: But somebody put out a meme that's a quiet wiggie or something, but go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 7: The hair should be unconstitutional, if anything.
Speaker 2: That's kind of freaking weird.
Speaker 7: Second of all, I saw this tweet that was like, here's how Trump's going to react to Abdual. I'll say ed and he's going to call him a scumbag and then hours later make a weird comment about how handsome he is, because does that to.
Speaker 2: So many people.
Speaker 7: He'll call him a scumbag and he'll be like, but he's a really good looking guy.
Speaker 2: You can't take that away.
Speaker 7: It's like, why are we saying this right now? But on top of that, something that I've been talking about on my show lately I kind of derived from Game of Thrones. I call it Matt King theory. It's then a position or a leader that's in a position to power becomes so delusional and paranoid that they lose all touch with reality and are more focused on the aesthetics around them. In this weird stuff that's all a non sequitor, and that's what Donald Trump seems to be falling for right now. I mean, if you look at the reflecting pool, the ballroom, his hair, he's focused on these aesthetics and what scares me, and he's trying to deflect all the failures onto the other side. When there was a water treatment hack done by Iran, Trump literally blamed it on Tim Walls because it happened in Minnesota, like all of our intelligence agencies were saying this was hacked by Iranian hackers. Trump blamed it on the Democrats when he failed to hire competent contractors and they effed up the reflecting pool. He blamed on Democratic vandals. Like we are seeing somebody who was so paranoid and like manic that he's constantly blaming everything on the other side. And that's probably one of them. What like, yes, there were court cases over sports and trans people and sports. Nobody said sports were unconstitutional. That awful, insane bs And I'm pretty sure it's just part of him beingcoming like a mad king. He wants to act like everyone's attacking him. He's the one as a beacon defending reality. And yeah, one more time, the hairpiece should be unconstitutional.
Speaker 3: The hair piece should be unconstitutional. The hair is, the hair has got to go. It's very strange, and I but it is. You're absolutely right. It is kind of this mad king thing. And I've been talking about this sort of like the end days of Saddam Hussein or moonmarket off here or something like that. And you know, I do every once in a while because I've I've done a lot on the reflecting pool in the Kennedy Center and these weird projects that he has around DC. And I see comments from time to time, Oh, come on, Jim, focus on the big things. Focus, you know, But to me, taking the mental temperature of the president of the United States is one of the big things. And if he's acting insane like that is really fucking important.
Speaker 2: I think it is. I think it is relevant, highly relevant.
Speaker 7: It's very relevant. And you've been doing great work there by the way. I've been using it a lot on my show, showing you're on.
Speaker 2: The ground work.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 7: Just think it's like it is important because it's indicative of how Donald Trump plays this game. His whole game is to cut corners, not have competitive bids for how we're going to contract these things out, give the contracts to his friends in a corrupt manner in those contracts and end up harming American people or the people who are supposed to benefit from this. Yes, it's not as important when it's the reflecting Pool, but the same thing is happening at the Pentagon. There are reports that we are having non competitive bids. And the reason why you want to have a bid that's competitive is because you want the best contractor supplying the best equipment for our soldiers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: But he's just reportedly giving these corrupt contracts off to his allies, and the same way that he did with America two fifty Your Freedom two fifty, the same way that he's doing with the reflecting Pool in the ballroom. And when we're living with this level of delusion in paranoia at the highest levels of the White House, I think we need to call it out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: We have space to talk about many things, the Iran war or the Pentagon, the corruption, but calling out his failed monuments. I mean, dude, imagine if Obama had been going manic over the reflecting Pool, Fox News would be talking about it a decade later, like they would never.
Speaker 3: End it, it would never stop. And the way he keeps saying, oh no, it was vandals. It was vandals. And he's got you know, Doug Bergham, who I thought was a normal, serious politician.
Speaker 2: He was like one of the normies. He was built as one of the normies, and he is.
Speaker 3: He seems crazier than Janine Piro, which I didn't fucking think was possible. And you know, it's kind of amazing what Donald Trump does to people. He does sort of bring them down to his level, no matter what kind of stature they might have had previously before working with him. But the other thing, Adam is, in addition to the incompetence you mentioned, the corruption. I've been talking about this on my show. We're drowning in an ocean of corruption in this country right now. He's not only doing these no big contracts and handing him out to his buddies. And that's where his own family, his sons are getting, you know, firms that are connected to his sons are getting these kinds.
Speaker 2: Of deals, and you know, it really is astonishing.
Speaker 7: It's it's not just a stop. It's like it's like mind boggling the level of double standards that we see at play right here. Hunter Biden sold some paintings if I'm going to conceive for maybe like three thousand dollars more than he should have. We are currently seeing the Trump kids acquiring islands right now after the country literally tries to not make it a protected coastal land. We are seeing Don Junior and Eric Trump directly benefiting from the Pentagon contracts that Donald Trump is cutting. And I mean, we have a whole document about this at Maclarmedia called Trump's Second Term Corruption, and it talks about the part in economy Trump has created a pay for play part in economy. Right, you give him a bunch of money, he will pardon you no matter what you did, no matter how many Americans you scammed. We should also talk more about Trump's crypto coin that he launched right before his inauguration in order to leverage the hype of his inauguration, called trump Coin. Then he launched Malania Coin. Of course, the Trump family has like eighty percent ownership of that and they can liquidate it at any moment.
Speaker 2: So he's rug.
Speaker 7: Pulling as fans, He's hurting Americans by giving shitty contracts, and on top of all of that, there is just a level of It's like Trump is trying to return us to this pre constitutional order where the president can give and receive gifts from other countries with no repercussions. Yeah, Trump pardoned CZ, the founder of Finance, because CZ helps Trump build a crypto platform, and then CZ helped facilitate a two billion dollar investment from the United Arab Emirates. In return, Donald Trump pardoned CZ, the founder of Binance, who helped fund Moss helped you all this, and in turn, Trump gave the UAE a bunch of these chips, very special chips that we were trying to keep, and it doesn't benefit us at all. It doesn't benefit us at all. So we are currently in a situation where Trump is like a mad king, turning us to a pre constitutional order, trying to give and receive these gifts.
Speaker 2: And it's just despicable to see.
Speaker 7: All the while, by the way, the war is raging on, the economy is generaling down the toilet.
Speaker 2: It sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a lot, a lot is sucking right now, there's no question about it. Adam, great to see you, my man. Let's do it again soon. Really appreciate it. Thanks for spending some time with us.
Speaker 7: We'll do it again very soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Jim, all right, good to see you. All right, well, let's not waste any time. Turning to our next guest. It is doctor Abdul al sayeh. He is the Democratic nominee for the US Senate in Michigan. I don't know should I call you? Can I call you Doc? Can I call you Abdul Abdul? Okay, all right, I heard you were relatable. That's the thing, that's what you're doing.
Speaker 9: I mean, look, it's the name, well, it's the name walking into kindergarten that I quickly got in nineteen eighty nine, kid named Abdrahman Levin letter name that folks can't really pronounce. We realized that, at least my parents realized that, given Kareem Abdul Jabbar had just retired and Paula Abdul was topping the charts, that Abdul was what it was going to be.
Speaker 6: And so I've been Abdula ever since.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can relate to this because I go by Jim, but my name is Abelio James Acosta. My dad is a Cuban refugee, and so nobody could say a Billia growing up.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely possible.
Speaker 3: I grew up in Virginia in the seventies and the eighties, let me tell you, nobody could say that, And so my mom just said, just you'll be Jimmy. So I've been that ever since. But it's great to have you on the show. Congratulations on your big win the other night. What do you think it's said to not just people in Michigan but all around the country.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, I'm so grateful for the seven hundred fifty thousand folks who gave me their stake in democracy. I couldn't be more honored and grateful, and I hope that I can carry that forward and do the work that is befitting of that trust that they gave me in.
Speaker 6: The US Senate.
Speaker 9: But I also think it's important for us to realize my goal here is to get money out of politics, put money in your pocket, past medical care for all.
Speaker 6: And because the I stand opposed.
Speaker 9: To corporate money and special interest money in politics, you can imagine the corporations of the special interests got real pissed off about it and decided to set a record of spending in a democratic primary seventy million dollars total, eleven to one spending differential thirty two of that I think came from APAC and they spent their money, and in the end, what we were able to do was to inspire a campaign of buy and for the people coming together to take that money on and build something that.
Speaker 6: Was truly beautiful to be a part of.
Speaker 9: And so I'm just really really grateful for that. And the key goal here is not to just defeat that money in a primary. The key goal here is to serve in the US Senate. And so we've got thirteen weeks left to go against a guy who's the worst of both eras of the Republican Party. This was a guy who was in in Congress between twenty and twenty fifteen, spent his time there doing favors for big Pharma, took over a million dollars from them, voted to raise prescription drug prices nineteen times, and then helped the architect the legislation that kicked off the opioid epidemic. And now he's a bootleger for Donald Trump. He's going to do exactly what Trump says. He is going to rubber stamp anything Trump wants because he understands that his ticket in is for Trump, and the ticket out for him is to be able to trade on the relationships he builds while he's in Congress, to do exactly what he did last time, which is leave to make fourteen million dollars as some advisor for these corporations and by mcmanson in Florida, I guess fourteen million wasn't enough, so he's back for more. But wor sick and tired of being monetized, and we're going to kick them back to Florida by November.
Speaker 3: And I'm dull, I guess, I mean we do have There's a video that Mike Rogers put out. He's trying to bring in Democrats and he's got this personal message to Democrats at Michigan. We should play a little bit. I'll get you to respond to it, and then I'll get you to respond to Donald Trump too, because he has had some choice words for you that are slightly more unhinged as you might.
Speaker 1: You're among the majority of Democratic voters that woke up on Wednesday feeling well hopeless because the person who won does not represent your values.
Speaker 2: Well, just no, there is still hope.
Speaker 1: Michigan deserves a senator who is ready to sit with you. Hear from you and represent you the parents across Michigan who won an education system that sets up their kids for six Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's the sort of the beginning of that, Abdul that you should respond to. He basically says, in a not so subtle way, that you don't represent people's values in Michigan.
Speaker 2: What did you think of that?
Speaker 9: Well, it's ironic, right. He goes on to talk about you have a home with us? Is that his home in Florida because most of us want to stay in Michigan. And the second part of it is he's talking about with us, but he's the only one doing the talking. It's interesting, how you know the person next to him, I presume that's his spouse doesn't say anything. So if you want to just sit there and have no voice in your politics, you can do exactly what it is that he's expecting of you. That's Mike Rogers in a nutshell, talks a lot, does so much for the corporations that have ruined your life, and now expects that you're just going to come along because well, I don't know. He thinks that that's the brand of politics people really want.
Speaker 6: And what's funny about.
Speaker 9: It is you know, this is a guy who's had a long history in Congress. He retired to go to Florida. I presume to play golf, which is what people like him tend I guess to do. But the question is what do you actually have to offer? Notice how he doesn't talk about that. There's a question of oh, well, you know, doesn't represent your valuealues, we had a very contentious primary and a lot of the question was about electability, and electability was.
Speaker 6: About who can beat Mike Rogers.
Speaker 9: So there's no world in which people were like, yeah, yeah, no, Mike Rodgers is exactly what we want, and he represents our values. He hasn't represented values in Michigan for a very long time, and we're going to invite him to move back to Florida and he can have a home over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, what's your what's your response? I guess to some of the polling that showed, and polls, you know, sometimes they're not worth the paper they're printed on.
Speaker 2: Or or whatever.
Speaker 3: But that showed that Hailey Stevens might have been the stronger candidate, or might have shown that Mallory mcmorra might have been the stronger candidate going into the general. I mean, I know that a lot can change between now and November. What what what do you say to the swipe that you were you were the least electable at the.
Speaker 9: Three Well polls are mixed, and we had several polls showing that I was the most electable.
Speaker 6: But poles don't vote. People do.
Speaker 9: And we have our work cut out from us for the next thirteen weeks to go and continue to build the indelible relationship that we want to build with Michigan voters.
Speaker 6: You know, in the end, for me, it's not just about winning a race. It's about serving well.
Speaker 9: And campaigns are about how you build that relationship so that you understand what it is that people need and deserve. Across the fifteen months that we ran, fifteen months, I'd gone to one hundred and ten different cities, four hundred and seventy five public events. I think by the end of it we cross five hundred public events. We go everywhere, we talk to everybody, and no matter where I go, people tell me the same things. It just shouldn't be this hard to afford your groceries, or to pay your rent, or believe you could ever own a home or see a doctor in the richest, most powerful country in the world. So we're going to continue to have those conversations up and down my state. It was a hard fought primary, and despite the fact that they spent what seventy million dollars to try to beat me, lying about me and my character, lying about records and endorsements, we still came through it. Michigan nitors got the opportunity to vote, and we still came through it. Now the question for us is this, can we continue to build that relationship and we continue to demonstrate what we can do to get money out of politics, put money in our pocket past Medicare for all. I'm looking forward to that thirteen week conversation. But the contrast couldn't be more clear. Mike Rodgers is a guy who spent his time as an elected official corrupting his public office for private gain. That he made fourteen million dollars on the back end of his congressional service doing what I don't know, but we probably should find out. And while he was congress he took so much money from the corporations that make your life worse, to raise your prescription drug prices, to.
Speaker 6: Do the bidding of big tech and big pharma.
Speaker 9: So we can do a lot better than that, and we believe that as this happens. Starting our last campaign, we were down, people said we couldn't win, but we built those relationships and we're going to continue to do that now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you had a lot of mud thrown at you during that primary battle. Apak, as you said, spent millions of dollars trying to defeat you. They've now pledged that they're going to back Mike Rogers. I guess they're not even going to take the time to listen to you and Mike Rodgers have a debate.
Speaker 2: They're just they're all in.
Speaker 3: But I mean, a lot of this is obviously steeped in Islamophobia, which is obviously horrible. But Donald Trump is all in on this, and he I mean, I'm sure you're seeing some of these comments. We should show I don't want to play the whole thing because it's it's pretty repugnant, but he really is kind of painting you as somebody who is just anti Israel and antis.
Speaker 2: Amitica and so on. We should play a little bit of that and listen.
Speaker 8: Then the American dream for you and your children. The radical left the maniacs are trying to destroy it with the disaster known as not socialism, communism.
Speaker 2: It's communism.
Speaker 8: He's a communism. Wrong again last night when they thought it would be a landslide victory for a hater of Jews and a hater of Israel, this is this guy hates Jews. Somebody said, oh, that's a little strong.
Speaker 5: Now he hates Jews and he hates Israel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what do you say to that.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's not true, and it's it's ugly and disgusting and it's what he but it's what he does and it riles people up, and how do you respond.
Speaker 9: Look, people in Michigan can't afford their groceries. People in Michigan are paying five dollars for gas. People in Michigan are struggling to pay their rent. And this man he got elected to office saying he was going to fix all that, but instead he kicked off a war to raise our grass prices even higher. He's busy trying to figure out the colors on the drapes or fix the reflecting pool, which he can't even do. And so yeah, he's going to try and fear monger about me. But the question really is about him. Every single day he talks about me, We're winning because at the end of the day, I am everything he fears. So we are going to stand up to him. We are going to take him on. We are going to subpoena all of his officials. We are going to fight for the affordability that he doesn't even care to fight for. We're going to get money out of politics, so we're going to put money in your pocket. We're gonna pass Medicare for all, and we're going to beat his handpicked Republican Mike Rodgers. So thank you Donald Trump for continuing to talk about me, for keeping me at the top of your mind. I hope that you learn how to say my name appropriately. And the one thing he did say is he called me a lovely gentleman, which is kind of weird. It's keeping with how he feels about Mom, Donnie and others. I don't really know what his fetish is, but I'll have to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Maybe you should go visit him in the Oval office and find out, or talk to Mom Donnie.
Speaker 2: You know gets.
Speaker 9: I think what he's afraid of is that I'm not afraid of him, and he knows him. So you know, people like that have a sense of people who are willing to stand up to him, which is why he's trying to preempt to Now, So Donnie, if you're watching, I've got bigger hands than you.
Speaker 6: I've got a better agenda than you. I'm going to beat your guy.
Speaker 9: And I'm looking forward to reminding you of that for two years when I'm in the US.
Speaker 3: Senate, and I you know, I saw that obviously. One of the I think very interesting things about your background is your public health official. And I think you led the Wayne County Public Health Office for several years. And I'm sure you saw this week the way they were going after doctor Anthony Fauci and you know, holding in contempt of Congress, and they're referring the case to the DOJ despite the fact that he has a party in pardon from Joe Biden, from President Biden. What did you make of that whole thing? And how would you tackle this in the Senate? Fighting against disinformation about vaccines, what RFK Junior has done with HHS, the fact that we have a measles out, you know, we have measles on the rise in this country, and so I mean, there's a lot to tackle from a public health standpoint, it would.
Speaker 9: Seem, you know, Jim, all of this is in the in keeping with the distraction politics that Republicans want to engage in, because let's just talk about public health right now. In the last month, we had to dodge Lettuce here in Michigan because we have a historical cyclost Barias's outbreak. We're worried about the air quality that we breathe. Those are the public health concerns that people are facing right now. All of that is a function of choices that have been made by Republican government for a very long time. You think about the dozing of the FDA, the dozing of the CDC. Now you think about the fact that we can't contact trace cyclists biases and people are getting sick. It took us how long to try and figure out And then you have the corporation that's responsible for the Leduce situation, buying off Trump officials trying to get the conclusions of a scientific analysis overturned. This is exactly the kind of corruption that ends up killing a lot of people, and thankfully now with cyclosporiasis, which is not all that deadly, but imagine what happened.
Speaker 6: If we had a very very serious disease.
Speaker 9: So in the US Senate, as the first ever public health official to be elected to the US Senate, I'm looking forward to holding Trump and his officials accountable. I'm looking forward to hauling up RFK Junior and asking him about the commitments that he said he was going to make to try and fix our food supply. Our food is not any healthier because of him. If anything, you think about the reduction of the of the kind of accountability we should have seen on the purveyors of all of these additives and all of these sprays that they use in our food supply, all because corporations want to make a little bit more money off of all of us. So look, I'm looking forward to having the conversation about health, about what it looks like to have healthier food, what it looks like to hold a lot of these polluters accountable, the conversation that RFK Junior is too cowardly to have, but these wore up and down that he would have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how have you been making the case on Medicare for all? Because you know, this is one of the things that I like to talk about on my show. I mean, I do think that we should have national health care in this country. I covered the passage of Obamacare, and it did expand healthcare through a lot of people in this country. But people still get extremely painful medical bills and the mail, I mean that has not gone away, and it really cuts into what people can afford in terms of grocery. It can be crushing for a lot of families in this country. And yet, you know, once you start talking about Medicare for all, then you get the attacks on socialism and that you're trying to bring socialism in this country and so on. How do you respond to that and how have you been making the case on Medicare for all?
Speaker 9: Well, Jim, I'll just tell you this, no matter where I go, I talk to folks who share the most heart wrenching stories about them. More family member are getting sick in America, where we always add insult to injury by hitting you with debt, by hitting you with bills you can't pay even if you're insured. Right, the median deductible for a family of four is about five thousand dollars now, five thousand dollars on top of what you already paid every month to provide your family health insurance. You just didn't realize that you're going to have to pay out a pocket again to the tune of five thousand. I mean, we carry two hundred twenty five billion dollars in medical debt in this country, a third of all families. So we have a choice about whether or not we want to continue to live like this so that a CEO of a health insurance company can make eighteen twenty million dollars a year, or we want to be able to hold them accountable and guarantee every single person in this country cradle to grave coverage without premiums, co pays or deductibles. I think the freedom of that, the economic value of that. Think about how many small businesses never get built simply because people are worried about losing their insurance in the interim. Think about how many people stay in marriages that they don't need to stay in. How many people are stifle in circumstances that they don't want to be stuck in economically simply because of the way we do healthcare.
Speaker 6: In this country.
Speaker 9: We are the richest, most powerful country in the world. There is no reason we can't guarantee high quality healthcare to anybody. Everybody asked me, all, well, what country do you want to emilate. I'm like, we're America. We don't emulate other countries.
Speaker 6: We lead.
Speaker 9: So how about we lead for the goal of figuring out how to provide health care in this country rather than figuring out how to allow people to monetize you simply because you get sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Abdulla, getting back to Israel, what would you do about aid to Israel? Would there just be no aid to Israel? How would you handle that? And how do you explain that to voters in Michigan who might say, Aha, I told you I knew that about this guy. He's anti Israel, He's anti this, he's anti that.
Speaker 2: What would you do with aid Israel?
Speaker 9: I'm pro international law, and I'm pro equal rights to peace, dignity, and self determination for all people that's Jewish, Israeli and Palestinian people. And most of all, I'm pro our kids having good schools. I'm pro good roads, and I'm pro good infrastructure. And I'm pro keeping our tax dollars here in the United State to solve our problems rather than to ship them overseas to make other people's problems worse. I am against unconditional foreign military aid to any country that is Israel, yes, but that's also Egypt, where my family comes from and immigrated from, a country that is the second largest recipient of unconditional foreign military aid. And when it comes to international law, I believe that we need to condition our support on international law. Israel committed genocide, they commit apartheid. They are taking or leading the effort for a war that we have no business fighting, so that they could annex the southern part of a neighboring country. We could do a lot better with our money than that, and so I just believe that international law ought to abide. I believe that we owe our own people that we use our tax dollars here to provide healthcare and schools and infrastructure here rather than send it abroad. And too often people say, well, you know that you must be against a two state solution. I'm I'm against hypocrisy. And too many of the same people who say that they'refore a two state solution are also for sending our taxpayer dollars to the of billions to a foreign government that is dead set on foreclosing on the possibility of a second state. You can't say your for a two state solution when you're supporting the people who only want one state. So I just think that we in this country have had an inconsistent approach to this for a very long time. And my responsibility as a senator from Michigan is the people of Michigan, not the people of Israel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your thoughts on net and Yahoo.
Speaker 9: Obviously he's a war criminal. He ought to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Speaker 6: You know, the Israeli.
Speaker 9: People will get to decide his political future, but it's not you know, you shouldn't be surprised that, you know, he's under indictment in his own country for crimes and he has also committed war crimes. That it tends to be that people who do heinous things do very, very heinous things. But I also want to be clear right that we've got a responsibility in the United States to be holding countries accountable. Like if any other country behaved the way that is real behaved, we would treat them in a very different way, and we don't. And I think we have to be really considerate about why, well it's the same experience I just had, which is that you have one organization, a super pac, committed to our foreign policy backstopping the foreign government or a different foreign government that is going to spend tens of millions of dollars to beat you if you're willing to speak about Palestinian rights to peace, dignity, and self determination. And you know, we came through it. They're coming back in the general were going to spend another thirty million dollars to try to beat me. You failed last time, so good luck with that. But I think the American public is starting to realize that we owe our own people to use our tax dollars here rather than to send our tax dollars abroad to drop bombs and on other people and their kids.
Speaker 3: And I do if people hear you say, nenya, who's a work criminal? And listen, I'm not going to quibble with you on that. I mean, but they might respond with the question, well, what about Hamas?
Speaker 2: Does he condemn? Hammas? Does he condemned? I mean about Hamas.
Speaker 9: It's funny because people always they always assume that there's like that, not not that you're saying this, but that there's a gotcha. Like, I'm not a tribalist about this. I believe in principles, So yes, I condemned us on day one, right, I think they're wrong. I think they committed war crimes. That's not hard to say. I just don't know why. It's also not hard to say that in response, the Israeli government also committed war crimes, including genocide. So you know, the question for us is ultimately about where we use our tax dollars. That is the political question. I think people like to get involved in this big, long question of what's good for Israel, or what's good or how we ought to be engaged in a conflict. My point is that our job is not to give money to make the conflict worse. Our job is to use our money here, and I believe that it is up to a free Palestinian people and free Jewish Israeli people to decide what the ultimate piece ought to look like. I just know that right now our tax dollars are making it far worse. And I don't want our money that could be used to make education and opportunity better for our people to be used to make life force for other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean I will say you know, you have really galvanized young voters during this campaign.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 3: I just had Adam macleron and he was talking about this enthusiasm that people are feeling about progressive candidates, Folks like yourself, folks like mom, Donnie. I mean, across the board, there's there's a whole slew of progressive candidates that have younger people more excited in the Democratic Party. And obviously that's that's going to be a good thing for Democrats. And I'm just curious about campaign tactics on your part and so on. I mean, I noticed I was looking at your Instagram. There's a whole lot of booty shaking going on. I hope you don't mind me describing it that way. I was saying, you know, it looks like he's trying to shake his booty all the way to the Senate.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We can play some of this Instagram video here, but and I can't play the audio or else we'll get dinged by YouTube. They get they get annoyed with copyright stuff. But there you are, and you're not wearing a black T shirt there by the way, You're wearing a nice collared shirt there. But I mean, what's going on here, Abdul? Were you at Chipmandale's Dancer? What's happening here?
Speaker 6: We're having fun?
Speaker 9: And I think part of what people are frustrated about in our politics is it just feels so mean and so angry. I think sometimes people have to believe in a hope of something that we actually can have a good time trying to solve problems for everyday people.
Speaker 6: And the song I was dancing to there was R.
Speaker 2: S P E C T.
Speaker 6: A classic out of Motown.
Speaker 9: In Motown, right, So I just think that it's okay to have some fun while you're doing this. You can both be serious and be having a good time, and I think we need more of that in our politics.
Speaker 6: I also just say that.
Speaker 9: When you run for office, you are asking people to give you one of the most important things that they have to give, which is their stake in our democracy. And you're building a relationship with people that starts with listening and learning. And we started this camp PA going out to community after community, sometimes with five people or ten people who show up all over our state, building the conversation about who we are and who we want to be, and you know, towards the end of the campaign, you see that flower and it really is a beautiful thing. But for the next thirteen weeks, we're going to go and have those conversations, because that's what democracy is supposed to be about. And when you put out a video or you engage in in digital media, what you're trying to remind people of is that actually the feeling of our politics can be a lot more hopeful and a lot more joyful than the one we have right now. And I think for the folks who gave us their stake in democracy, they were also voting for a more hopeful, more joyful kind of politics, one where we're not so focused on what they're going to take away from us, but one where we're focused on what we actually can provide if we get money out of politics, put money in pockets and past medicare for all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, doctor abdiels I'll say ed, thank you very much for spending some time with us. I had not interviewed you up until this point, and so forgive me for asking twenty or thirty questions there, but appreciate the time. And and if you do get an oval office, meaning we please give us heads up on that.
Speaker 2: We would appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I absolutely will.
Speaker 3: All right, good to see it. Thanks doctor, really appreciate your time. Thank you, doctor Abdul. I'll say, ed running for the Senate in the state of Michigan, and this is going to be probably the most visible campaign of the cycle and we'll have to see all all of that plays out. But you know, it sounds as though he's had to overcome a lot of doubts from the Democratic establishment.
Speaker 2: He's going to have to continue to do that.
Speaker 3: But a very interesting interview and I think a very thoughtful candidate and somebody who is exciting a lot of young progressive Democrats right now and the party that is where the party is right now, in part because they see what's taking place in Washington right now, where the Republican Party has just they've just sold their souls to Donald Trump. And you know, as we were taping today's show, a very key vote was announced Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who is being run out of Washington d C. Currently by Donald Trump. Trump did not go with Cassidy in his Senate primary earlier this year. Donald Trump got behind his challenger and booted Bill Cassidy out of the United States Senate. He Cassidy is still there, and he has announced that he is going to vote yes to confirm Todd Blanche as permanent Attorney General of the United States. This is the same Bill Cassidy who voted for RFK Junior for Health and Human Services. Despite the fact that Bill Cassidy himself is a doctor and so you know this. He is sort of the poster child. You're seeing him speak now. He's doing some grand standing. Just announced that you're voting for the guy in leave honestly, but he is doctor Bill Cassidy center. Bill Cassidy has become the poster child of what is broken in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: You can have debates, you can have arguments, you can have discussions about the Democrats going this way, the establishments and Chuck Schume, Progressives and DSA and so on. But make no mistake, the prevailing tide here in Washington flows from Donald Trump through the Republican Party and then it rolls on top of the rest of US Americans across this country. The Republicans control the House, Republicans control the Senate, they control the White House, they control the Supreme Court. And it's people like doctor Bill Cassidy, that have gotten us into the jam that we are in as a country right now. When Donald Trump puts up somebody as ridiculously irresponsible as Todd Blanche for Attorney General of the United States, and you can't find more than two Republican Senators to vote against Todd Blanche, who is going to act as Donald Trump's personal defense attorney. Just make no mistake, that is what's going to happen. That's what he's been doing on the Epstein files, that is what he's going to continue to do for the next couple of years while Donald Trump is in office. And as Donald Trump likes to say, and who knows after that, I mean, is a wretch at all to imagine that Todd Blanche would go right along with Donald Trump attempting to get a third term, or overturning the results of the midterm elections, or over trying to overturn the results of the next presidential election. Don't we all think that Todd Blanche would do all of those things? Yes, absolutely, because he is acting as Donald Trump's mob lawyer. And yet Bill Cassidy puts out this tweet this morning saying, I have a dramatic announcement to make tune in as I announce how I'm going to roll over for Donald Trump again, just as He's rolled over again and again. And Bill Cassidy is the guy who voted to impeach and convict Donald Trump after January sixth, He actually, he actually had a profile encouraged moment back in twenty twenty one, and since then has given his spine and his balls to Donald Trump. And they sit on they sit on a shelf in the Oval Office, next to all the gold shit Donald Trump has.
Speaker 2: Put all over the Oval Office.
Speaker 3: But Senator Bill Cassidy, you had a chance here to block the confirmation of a thoroughly unqualified attorney general, and.
Speaker 2: You blew it, and you absolutely blew it.
Speaker 3: And so I you know, this is where I have a little bit of a problem with the discourse in Washington right now as it relates to the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Yes you can you can have.
Speaker 3: A heated argument over Israel, and yes you can have a heated argument over there, whether there should be national healthcare, whether things are moving too far to the left or too far to the right, or Chuck Schumer and Hakeem Jeffries and all of that's so, and you can have all of those debates in those discussions, but if you're frothing at the mouth over that kind of stuff, I gotta be I gotta be honest with you. I think you need to go get your head examined, because what is happening in Washington right now is we have a mobbed up, corrupt Republican Party that has basically sold it sold. There is no Republican Party. It has sold it so to Donald Trump. And Donald Trump can't even get words out of his mouth these days. I've been thinking about it. You should call it. We should think of it as a new game show. What is Donald Trump talking about? What in the world is he talking about? And on a daily basis, he gives us a fresh category of what the fuck is Donald Trump talking about? And the latest I brought this up early, I'll bring it up again, just in case folks are tuning in a little late. He was talking about sports, and he said that a judge had declared sports on constitution.
Speaker 2: I just want to play.
Speaker 3: I just want to play one more time before I go, because it is a thoroughly ridiculous, crazy ass.
Speaker 2: Thing to say played. If we can't play it again, played against Sam from.
Speaker 8: The beginning, right from the beginning, and already we've done a lot to help save women's sports, and we're also saving college sports who are in the process of working very hard. We had a bad judge's decision, and I judge, you knew nothing about sports. Declared sports unconstitutional? Can you believe it?
Speaker 2: And we had.
Speaker 3: The judge was ever declared sports on constitutional. Donald Trump does not know what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: His crazy hair.
Speaker 3: Whatever they're doing to his crazy hair is obviously seeped down into his brain. And you know, I was talking about this with my friend Molly John FASc the other day. You know, the whole comparison of Earth one versus Earth two. Earth one is the normal, non upside down Earth that we used to live in, whether he had a Democrat or Republic in the White House. We've been transported to Earth two, where truth is lies and lies of truth. And that's the world of Donald Trump that we're all inhabiting right now. But I would argue that there is an Earth three that we've landed on. There's an Earth three that we've landed on, and Earth three is a world in which the president of the United States has lost his goddamn mine, has lost his marbles. And every day, just look at it. Every day Donald Trump says something that doesn't make sense, and it is not good for America or the world where our children or grandchildren, people we deem as precious in our lives, are loved ones. It is not good for any of them when the President of the United States has lost his mind, has lost his marbles, and he's saying that on a regular basis. And I for one, I know on the corporate evening news and on the legacy media and so on, they don't want to touch it. And maybe every once in a while, the New York Times will churn out an article. Once every three or four months, they'll churn out an article about Trump losing his mind. Thank god, at least there's that. But I'm not going to stop talking about how on a regular basis he does not make any sense. And we're going to have somebody like Todd blanche as the Attorney General of the United States where a president who doesn't make any sense, so Trump can just throw out all of these crazy ideas. I want to jail this person over there. I want to jail that person over there, and Todd Blanche is just going to go along with it. That's what we're going to do in this country for the next two years. And doctor Bill Cassidy, a doctor who I guess was educated in some way, he's okay with that, and he's going to vote for Todd Blanche as the attorney general. What is wrong with you? What is wrong with the Republicans in the Senate? No balls, no courage, no spine, no nothing there, They're just empty vessels and it's it's totally ridiculous and out of control. And you know that's why I you know, I appreciate Abdulahlsa yet coming on. I'm going to try to talk to as many Democratic candidates as I can between now and the midterm. Of the Republican candidate wants to, I'll entertain that. But if a Republican candidate comes on the show, one of the very first questions I'm going to ask is do you still have a soul? Where did you go to get it removed from your body? And can we somehow put it back in? Because that is what has happened to Tom Tillis and John corn In and Bill Cassidy and the whole lot of them. And so you can have debates about Democrats and whether they're going this way or that way, or what's happening with this issue or that issue, but the prevailing dark cloud hanging over all of us, it's the President of the United States has now taken us to Earth three. He's out of his mind, and we're all trapped in this roller coaster into the twilight zone until something changes where somebody in the Republican Party finds some courage to keep this from sliding into the abyss. It is just getting worse and worse every day, and the president just does not make any sense anymore. He just doesn't on a regular basis, does not make any sense anymore. And I don't know why the athletes behind him didn't just say, quiet Wiggy, can we show that before we go?
Speaker 2: Quiet Wiggy?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: Quiet Wiggy, you know, and he's getting weird and he's talking about the male athletes and he was doing that. But I would have paid good money if one of those athletes had just said, quiet Wiggy.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: I want to thank Steve Schmidt for joining me today. Slightly longer show today. Adam Mockler and doctor Abdul al Sayed, and keep an eye on that campaign. That is gonna be a fascinating one to watch. But in the meantime, still reporting from Washington. I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time. Guys, passsssssssssssssssssssssss.