Speaker 1: Fellow Ridiculous historians in the United States and abroad.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We got to tell you. Sometimes we record an episode that only becomes increasingly relevant as the years went on. And I think in this one we were both surprised that you can become an honorary citizen of the United States.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 3: And it ain't easy and it doesn't, at least in the back in the day, just involve paying a bunch of money for a gold credit card. Yeah, an honorary citizen, much like getting an honorary degree from a university, definitely was a thing that is part of ridiculous history. So why don't we talk a little bit about the honorary citizens of the United States.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome Ridiculous Historians. Thanks for tuning in a little bit of background at the top of the show. Today we have been gallivanting, uh hither and yalling. Let's see. Uh No, where were where were you recently?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I was in Mauritania for a little while, and then before that I went to Fraggle Rock, and then I spent a little bit of time down at uh.
Speaker 2: In Little Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see I went to uh Texas, I pursued some of my old SKA band dreams.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Is Texas like Scott Central?
Speaker 1: No? No, this was after Texas. After Texas, I went to Brussels, where my SKA band lives. It's a long story. And then also, let's see between us, we've got Chicago, Los Angeles, some other countries again, but we can't mention those Fraggle Rock.
Speaker 2: Was my far my favorite through Those little dozers are adorable.
Speaker 1: I think they're an authoritarian regime. I have serious problems with their governments, that's fair, but they're still cut at buttons. So so despite all of our travels, I gotta say, it feels so good to be back in good old Atlanta ga US. We are joined today by our guest producer, Paul Mission Controlled decad. Let's give it up for him.
Speaker 2: In what we said, your name your nol I am Even if we didn't, I still am.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I'm Ben.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do we get that?
Speaker 2: You know, we don't need to have your name said for you to have an identity.
Speaker 1: So that's true, that's true. But if you want to be a citizen of the United States, there is some paperwork involved, as well as some verbiage. If they're cited oath.
Speaker 2: Got to speak an oath, You gotta put your bloody thumbprint on a document, sign your name and in blood.
Speaker 1: No, well, you know it's changed over time. You still have to have interviews, you have to take citizenship tests.
Speaker 2: Naturalization as what they call it, right mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And all three of us recording today and quite a few of us listening today are citizens of the United States. What's strange about this is that the United States is one of the countries that gives you citizenship just for being born here. Not every country is that way, but if regardless of what your parents past is, et cetera, if you were born on US soil typically for most of history, that makes you a US citizen. However, you and I started looking into a very a very strange story, something about honorary citizenship. You know, this means that you're allowing the US to kind of claim you. They're like, all right, she or he is one of the good ones, but they don't have to actually do anything, and you don't have to do anything.
Speaker 2: Getting an honorary degree, you know, just for being a good guy.
Speaker 1: Like how a professor E. Meredith doesn't teach classes.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, yeah, E Meredith just imply some sort of like ephemeral kind of like honor, you know, or just by virtue of being this luminary in the field, you get to be this thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, and that sort of applies here as well. I agree, I agree, and I think that's spot on, because it would be cool to be an honorary citizen of a country like I'd love to be an honorary citizen of Baton or Vanuatu, which will show up in a late episode. But in the case of the US, we found out that is it is a real thing. You can't have honorary citizenship if you don't want the whole kit and kaboodle. The problem is that honorary citizenship may be one of the most difficult things to achieve in this country of ours.
Speaker 2: That's right. It is granted by an Act of Congress and the President, and to this day, unless we're missing one, only eight honorary citizenships have been bestowed the entire time.
Speaker 1: Eight only eight. Here's what the State Department says about honorary citizenship. Honorary citizenship does not carry with it the rights and privileges of ordinary citizenship, and such status does not confer any special entry, travel, or immigration benefits upon the honorey or the honorees relatives and dependents.
Speaker 2: We're in Texas, weren't you, man.
Speaker 1: It also does not impose additional duties or responsibilities in the United States or internationally on the honor read. It is a strictly symbolic act and no oath is required.
Speaker 3: Aha, So it's not quite so it's literally just like a wave of the hand and then it happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a key to.
Speaker 2: This saying of the city. It's just like that, and it's first of all you. Then they can give it to you without your consent too, can't they.
Speaker 1: Yes, sort of the way that the Church of Louder day Saints got in trouble for proxy baptisms.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a whole can of worms there. But yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: None of these people are like asking for this as as some sort of benefit or like it's going to do something positive for their lives or they're going to be able to use it in any functional way. It's a strictly symbolic act that implies that this individual not a citizen has done great things to aid our struggle as a country. It's such an ada boy, And that's why it's such a thin list, because it has to be a lot like the burden of you know, do goodery is quite high.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: So what we wanted to do today was explore the stories of these eight honorary citizens, many of whom will be familiar to you, some of whom may be deep cuts. So let's get started with first and foremost, one of the most pugnacious, uh, one of the most pugnacious aserbic characters in modern European history, Winston Churchill, who is His drunken escapades are worth an episode alone, I would say. But Winston Churchill was the first foreign national to receive honorary citizenship in the United States. Eight states this is interesting had already granted him citizenship, just not the federal government, which I didn't know was a thing that could happen. You know, if you're I guess if you're the the governor of New Mexico, or maybe you're the what's a different state? What's the state? No one talks about? Delaware? Fragile rock still not a state. Man, Well, that's legally a territory telling you it's because they have tremendous not human rights abuses, but fragle rights.
Speaker 3: You don't think they should get honorary statehood and just for their contribution to popular culture?
Speaker 2: No, man, really, no, those war crimes are really bug Have you.
Speaker 1: Read the UN report? No? O oh man, they're heavily redacted. So yes they are, and they should be. I am not a fan of puppet crime, which is why I support Sesame Street.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: But you can love them both, right, It's not a pepsi coat thing. So yeah, I did not. I was not aware that states could individually grant citizenship, but eight states had already granted citizenship to Winston Churchill. His mother was American, and this happened all before JFK and Congress followed suit. So we have a quote from Kennedy in his proclamation. Here's what he said about Winston Churchill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this proclamation praised Churchill for his quote, bravery charity in Valla both and WAW and peace have been a flame of inspiration and freedom's darkestall is that? Okay, Kennedy?
Speaker 1: I mean, there's probably a Kennedy outside.
Speaker 2: There there's a little bit of Kennedy, Kennedy, and there was like maybe ten percent Kennedy in Oh.
Speaker 1: We got it mixed up. Let's keep it interesting, right, Like it's like potted meat. It's like potted meat now with ten percent Kennedy exactly. I would I would buy that at the grocery store. So Churchill is watching this. He is despite the flagrant abuse he subjected his body to over the decades, he is still alive. He is eighty eight years old. He's watching a satellite relay of this from his home in London, and his son Randolph, accepts the honor on his behalf. One other interesting fact, One other interesting fact about Churchill. He was also the recipient of the nineteen fifty three Nobel Prize for Literature, which a lot of people didn't know. But that's him. That's that's an easy one. The famous rip roar in Oh Okay. I can't keep saying Winston Churchill is a rip roaring drunk unless I do at least one quotew.
Speaker 2: Rip and cigar smoking drunk.
Speaker 1: Here we go. Yeah, perfect, Let's let's just pull up one of his weirdest, weirdest drunk quotes a real hum dinger, a real hum dinger. So, once upon a time, Winston Churchill is in a conversation with m P Bessie Braddock or the Conservative Lady Astor, who is the first female MP, and one of them accuses the Prime Minister of being quote discostingly drunk, to which he responds, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be soba and you will still be DISGUSTI leg oh man.
Speaker 2: Jeez, if that didn't get him a swift slap across the jowls, I don't know what would.
Speaker 1: Good gels that are hard to miss. Sure, So he wasn't perfect, but he had tremendous influence on the course of the world in which we live today. And he's an honorary US citizen.
Speaker 3: Wasn't he also like weirdly eugenic or he did like you had some you had some real weird, weird, deep cut Churchill issues.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not super cool. He's not a cool guy.
Speaker 2: But he was just very racist, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, against people who lived on the Indian subcontinent.
Speaker 2: Yea, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: Still very much a son of the Empire, as.
Speaker 2: In like the colonizer, kind of like mentality.
Speaker 1: Star Wars like evil Empire. Yes, yeah, most of most of the prequel Star Wars films are actually based off Winston Churchill.
Speaker 2: He even kind of sounds like the Emperor.
Speaker 1: He does.
Speaker 2: Ah, I Winston church the Emperor.
Speaker 1: At the last second. And this is the biggest controversy about Star Wars. They actually cut out Winston Churchill's character and replaced him with jar Jar Binks. So if you look back next time you watch Star Wars, you remember how much people disliked jar Jar Binks. Just imagine it in its original form with Winston Churchill. Bw It's great, it's a good, it's a good, it's a good piece of cinema. So that that was the first one in the era of JFK. But who was after that?
Speaker 2: It wasn't until nineteen eighty one, shockingly, which I guess makes sense considering how few of these there are in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 3: But we have Raoul Wallenberger, who is a historical figure. I was not aware of it, something of a of a Oscar Schindler type figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So Hungary fought alongside Germany during World War Two and passed past anti Semitic discriminatory laws towards Jewish people, but the Jewish population of Hungary was to a degree spared the tragic, horrific genocide of the Holocaust. Once Hungary waivered in the Axis Cause, Hitler ordered the country immediately occupied and Jewish people living in Hungary were ordered to be rounded up and deported, and within the space of one year, a half million people were murdered by the German regime. And this is where Raoul Wallenberg comes in what makes him a shindleresque figure.
Speaker 3: So Wallenberg was a businessman who got sent to the Swedish embassy in Hungary, and he was an issuer of passports. He issued six hundred and fifty passports to Hungarian Jews with ties to Sweden and that would offer them protection from deportation. So when Wallenberg got into this post, he looked at how massive this humanitarian crisis was and decided he needed to really take charge and step up his game. And so, with a little bit of creative paperwork, a little bit of you know, kind of Maverick like diplomacy, he was able to protect in the same way that Schindler shielded Jews with jobs in his factory and kept them from getting sent to the camps. He was able to shield them with this paperwork and these passports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he didn't have the luxury of thinking in a very long term way about this. This is a crisis situation. He's just attempting to save innocent lives. The fascists learn of Wallenberg's operation, they pick up the scent, and so they immediately invalidate all the paperwork they can find. They round up Jewish people who had escaped with his help, and they force these people to walk to the Austrian border. But Wallenberg is undeterred. So he is driving behind this forced march and people are pointing guns at him and he's ignoring it. He's feeding these people, he's bringing water, he's attempting to do anything he can medicinally, and he still keeps issuing these documents. So at this point there's a good argument to make that he has defied death, that he should have been shot. Right, So let's fast forward to the Soviet Union. They occupy Hungary in January of nineteen forty five, and they take Wallenberg into custody and here is where we stumbled across a mystery. Raoul Wallenberg, you see, was never seen in public again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so, that's so anytime you say that statement, shivers my friend. And they were never heard from again.
Speaker 3: Has to be a pregnant pause before again if he just leave it as never never heard from And that's sort of like it's very vague.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, wait, don't mean that they didn't call. You don't know how you don't call.
Speaker 1: They had a throat thing, they couldn't speak. Well, this was you know, this was Cold War era, so information was tightly controlled, and we do not know what happened to Wallenberg. We know that the Soviet government said that he died shortly after being taken into custody, that he had a heart attack in a prison in Moscow in nineteen forty seven, but still no official word, no confirmation, And that is why in nineteen eighty one he was declared an honorary US citizen, which makes you wonder, you know how much of that was a propaganda move.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean this is clearly has a lot of propaganda potential.
Speaker 1: Right there is the aim Uncle Sam at this point on the record at least is. They said, you know, we're going to make him an honorary citizen because this will pressure the Soviets or the you know, the Reds or whatever they called him at the time to disclose information about Wallenberg.
Speaker 4: It did not work, now, definitely did not work. He was never heard from again. Gain Gang, Gang, Paul. Can we get a little a little distant, A ghostly.
Speaker 2: Wush felt that Christmas spine?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Ben? Here we got next? Only a scant two years later.
Speaker 1: A scant two years later, nineteen eighty four. Our third honorary citizen is William Penn. So this story dates back to the sixteen eighties. There was a guy named Charles the Second. He was in charge of a place called Britain. He owed the Penn family money like Lanister style, you know what I mean. So he settled a debt with them in sixteen eighty one by giving William Penn forty five thousand square miles of land north of Maryland.
Speaker 2: He gave.
Speaker 1: He said, you know, I can't pay you the cash, but here here's all this land. What they call it, Penn Pennville, Penn Town, Pennyweight, no pennywise, Okay, I like that I'm thinking it's something more familiar than we may have heard it before. Although now that I'm thinking about it, why why Sylvania? Where I want to know the origin of a Pennsylvania. It's like Transylvania.
Speaker 2: You think that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Sylvan means forest.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. So a Sylvania is a Sylvan region penn forest.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what we call real time etymology to just we just kind of spitball it out. Probably true, possibly not true.
Speaker 1: This is this is what we call. That's what we call speculative edibology, speculative etymology.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm that's gonna be a It's gonna be my my new title. I like the validation, gonna gonna get a certificate. That decreased me to be a speculative etymologist.
Speaker 2: I think you deserve that, Ben, And more so, it's true Penn's colony, which he dubbed Pennsylvania in honor of his father, which you know also one could argue in honor of himself. Hey, hey, now you know he is his father's son. You know they share the name. But it was a religious haven, which you guys do you guys know about this? For for his fellow Quakers and settlers of different faiths, and Penn was a huge proponent of the rights of representative government and also religious freedom and the ability to receive trial by jury, public education, a lot of the important tenets of the US Constitution, and our you know, wonderful country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good looking out, dude. Thank you. On a personal level, I enjoy all of the things that you are into. If you can hear me from beyond the great So the wheels of justice grind slow, but exceedingly fine. And thus it comes to pass that more than three hundred years after Penn first arrived in this colony, he received honorary citizenship in a country that he never lived to see established, because the US didn't become a thing until after Penn's death.
Speaker 3: Which leads us to Hannah Callo Hill Penn, who also received honorary citizenship in that very same year of nineteen one hundred and eighty four. She lived in Pennsylvania for only about two years, and she was Penn's second wife.
Speaker 1: Twenty four years younger than him.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm okay with that. Now, that doesn't work. That doesn't actually work out with the with the math. The math Okay, dating math.
Speaker 1: Have you guys heard the Have you guys heard the dating math? What is it? It's half your age plus seven seven? Is that the every time I have heard that, outside of outside of our our irreverent conversations, every time I've heard somebody say that, seriously, it's a little bit off putting, you know what I mean. It's like some guy you don't really know, You're at a bar and they're telling you about their life and then they refer to the math capital T, capital.
Speaker 2: M exactly, which also, could you know?
Speaker 3: I mean, I would love to believe that that in that context is some sort of acronym.
Speaker 2: That we have.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: We have yet to fully decode.
Speaker 1: The master age technical hierarchy.
Speaker 2: I like that? Or how about this the the master age transgression? Shoot? I want to say grand book gradient. There's no g inn that would be cool, the math only only math with a G. What I want to know is, where's the magic? We've got the math? Now, where's the magic? Just wait?
Speaker 1: You will hear more about that, Yes, you wills episode so or in one of these episodes. So she's only lived two years in Pennsylvania, and you know we're joking about the math or whatever. But you know, if people are happy and they're not hurting anyone, and let them be happy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: She didn't get honorary citizenship because because of her husband, she in her own right was known to be an activist and an advocate for espousing the same principles that William Penn also evangelized for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when William became sick in seventeen twelve, he had a bunch of strokes. Actually I didn't really realize that, and gradually became worse and worse and wasn't all there. She was able to kind of take over it, hit the business that he had started and carry on that mantle and really manage the colony's affairs, and she was sending letters to various officials within the colonial governorship. And when William passed away seventeen eighteen, she became the essentially the governor herself.
Speaker 2: But that's not what they called it. They called it sort of an acting proprietor, which I guess is sort of like being what do you call that when you're interim governor, like a substitute Yeah, substitute landlord, which is yeah, it's a little bit diminutive for sure, now it's a lot of bit diminutive.
Speaker 3: And then she passed away in seventeen twenty six, and she was the longest serving woman in control of a British colony.
Speaker 1: A very important colony as well, Hannah Calo Hill Penn that she is, I would say, one of the more upstanding people on our list, speaking of speaking of controversy, which I've foreshadowed just a bit here, fun we'll see. Our next one is Mother Teresa. Her first name was Agnes, but everybody called her mother Teresa. And if you grew up around the time that Nola and I grew up, then you have you heard about her as a kid. She was hot, she was big, yeah yeah, and the scene. Yeah, she was a real she was a real, guaranteed headline. Right, you have a Mother Teresa headline. Boom papers are selling out back when people used to read physical newspapers. Agnes goncha bojaksu. Uh. That's g o n x h a b o j x h.
Speaker 2: I U not gonna lie. We had to google that one pronunciation, Yeah, yeah we did.
Speaker 1: Uh. She, like Churchill, was named an honorary citizen while she was still alive. Get this, She and Winston Churchill were the only people so far to be named honorary citizens while they're still alive. It makes me think of currency, you know, like here in the US, you don't get your face on currency or coin until well after your death.
Speaker 2: So so mother Terresa was an Albanian, she was an Albanian nun, and she'd already received tons of the highest US accolades in terms of the Nobel Peace Prize, Presidential Medal of Freedom. And the funny thing is is she didn't really spend a whole lot of time in the United States to begin with. She worked with soup kitchens under the Missionaries of Charity that she founded in nineteen fifty, had emergency shelters, nursing homes, after school programs. I almost said, after school specials. That's something different, it would be great, that's a little more fragile rock. Really it's very much so.
Speaker 3: And she, you know, she just founded all of these really really important nonprofits essentially that were designed to help and nurture the poor and the homeless and just the less fortunate. And when she did receive that honor ray citizenship when she was eighty six years old, the Ambassador to India, which is the country where she first started doing all of these good deeds good works, called her quote a daughter of a man America, and she had done a lot of work in Calcutta, which was known.
Speaker 2: For its poverty.
Speaker 3: And she actually went on to be canonized as well and received sainthood in twenty sixteen. But this is a really interesting story and the process that goes into canonizing someone within the Catholic Church is fascinating to me, and some things that I was not aware of.
Speaker 1: Right, for a long time, the Vatican had a step in the canonization process that required someone literally deemed as a devil's advocate, and their entire role was to argue against beautification and canonization, to say this person doesn't qualify as a saint for the following reasons. You know, there were no snakes in Ireland to begin with, right, something like that. It was abolished in the eighties, but the Vatican still still flutzed around with the idea, and Christopher Hitchins, the famously militant atheist, testified as her devil's advocate.
Speaker 2: How did he get involved in the proceedings if he's not even a believer.
Speaker 1: I think he just likes to stir up that pot, and I has to poke that bear. He likes to bag that badger. I guess he said he represented the devil pro bono. A little bit more on Mother Teresa. Yeah, she was canonized on September fourth, twenty sixteen, and she still had some controversy throughout throughout her life and afterwards because certain people would would study her clinics and say, hey, they received millions of dollars in donations, but they don't have medical care, good diagnoses, systems, necessary nutrition and so on, and three Canadian academics actually said that she was purposely allowing people to suffer. Specifically, they said Mother Teresa believed the sick must suffer like Christ on the Cross. And then Christopher Hitchins was one of Mother Teresa's most outspoken critics for for a long, long, long long time. He he said she was not a friend to the poor, that she saw poverty as a necessary gift of suffering from God. So he had stake in the game. Next we arrive at one of my favorite rappers, one of my favorite recent rappers, I should say, Nellie No, the Marquis de Lafayette.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, of course, he's from the Hamilton Musical.
Speaker 1: Played by Davy Diggs, who has a great who has a great hip hop group. I want to say on the West Coast, maybe they're called Clipping with a period in front. They're great.
Speaker 3: He's also going to be blind Spotting, which is quiet good. Yes, Yes, I believe he wrote that.
Speaker 1: I think he did. He co wrote it.
Speaker 2: He was on movie Crush with Chuck, him and his co writer for that movie. We're on movie Crush talking about I can't remember what their favorite movie was, but you should check it out.
Speaker 1: Was it Police Academy for it.
Speaker 2: Had to have been. That should be everyone's favorite movie, because otherwise I'm cult classic.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, you know, Chuck and Air great friends. But I'm not going to listen to it.
Speaker 2: That's fair. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's an article on mental mental flaws that goes through eight of these honorary citizens and they make the point that I think is completely valid that the United States would not exist had it not been for the Marquis de la Fayette.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen them. I'm not going to do no spoilers. I haven't seen the musical. I don't know really any of the music.
Speaker 1: Oh just listen to the soundtrack.
Speaker 2: I should. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty good. It's pretty good. It's pretty it's solid. I would. I would say, you know, if you're like folden laundry or something, it's good. Or you're on a long walk, maybe a plane. I don't know, got it. I do have a flight tomorrow. We'll check it out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he was the French general who was in charge of divisions in the Continental Army during the American Revolution.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So a lot of the story you might hear in Hamilton is true. This guy came in supporting the ideas of liberty, equality and so on, and he really didn't have to have a stake in this game. But he is primarily the reason that France came to aid the US colonies against Great Britain. And then later when he went back to France, he introduced the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen before the National Constituent Assembly, and he co wrote this with Thomas Jefferson, you may remember from previous episodes, because no one's heard of Thomas Jefferson until they listened to Ridiculous History.
Speaker 2: Right, I certainly hadn't been I certainly hadn't.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: What's weird is the way the way statistics work. There's probably someone named Thomas Jefferson right now, and they're probably mad that their parents named them Thomas.
Speaker 3: I agree. Yeah, it's definitely like sort of that name sort of been ruined. I mean, okay, one could argue that name has been lifted up and elevated.
Speaker 1: It's taken.
Speaker 2: It's totally it's taken.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like Michael Bolton right right right, or or you know, there are two Nick Caves. I remember that always. That always astounded me. Well, there's the artist Nick Cave. But but people typically think of Nick Cave in the bad seats.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but the artist Nick Cave is equally awesome in his own right. It makes sound suits and you know the he actually did a performance here at the building where we.
Speaker 1: Did a documentary.
Speaker 2: They did very very cool.
Speaker 1: Paul, did you work on that documentary? Paul's given us the nod. Michigan Control worked on it, so it's got his stamp of approval. But uh, names aside, You're right, there is a tremendous argument to be made aid that this country would not exist without the efforts of lafa Atte, And I would say he really earned this honorary citizenship. When he died, the US House and Senate draped the chambers in black. They knew we owed this guy. But when did he When did he become an honorary citizen? It was after his death, right.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and two, quite a bit after his death, during a joint resolution.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was given that citizenship.
Speaker 1: But that was the federal citizenship because he was given a citizenship via Maryland before then, right while he was still alive.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's what we're talking about the top of the show, This who Little the Many citizenship. Yeah, yeah, that seems like a stretch, doesn't it. I mean, I would you think of it this way?
Speaker 1: If one province of Canada gave you citizenship and you know, you could travel there or something, but you were still a were an entity in any of the other provinces. That's weird, you know what I mean? Well, like, what if Utah gave you honorary citizenship? Now you gotta get into and out of Utah. It's tough.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I think it was gonna air drop you in there. This didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, anyway, it's it's obviously a symbolic act on on all fronts here.
Speaker 2: But that's an interesting one to me. Uh so, what do we have next?
Speaker 1: We have Kazimir Pulaski. So, Kazimir Pulaski also set sail for North America to help the American side in the War for Independence, right, he wanted to fight for the continental cause. He did a bunch of stuff. Famously, during the Battle of Brandywine, he led a cavalry charge that saved the life of George Washington. He was promoted to a general who organized mounted soldiers. He even wrote the book on cavalry tactics. Literally, he wrote a book about it.
Speaker 2: Was that, like, that's like mounted attacks huh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's all about formation, huh, formation, strategy, flanking, yeah, no one when to hold him, when to fold him, yeah, when to charge them, when to scold him, when to scold him and say, hey, buddy, you're not riding that horse very well. You're doing a bad job.
Speaker 1: And when to mold them.
Speaker 2: Get what it's all about, molding them. It's all an excellent cavalryman, yes, yes, uh yeah. He's one of the fathers of American cavalry.
Speaker 1: And for a century or so, his death has been a holiday or a day of remembrance.
Speaker 2: Pulaski Day, Yeah, is that a thing?
Speaker 1: I guess so it's you and I must be a horrible patriots, Paul, have you ever heard of Pulaski Day, Casimir Pulaski.
Speaker 3: Paul is saying that it's a Sufi and Stephens song and I, to which I replied, it is probably bigger in Michigan. Okay, let's let's actually incorrect.
Speaker 2: It's it's in big in Chicago, which was the second Sufi on Stevens State based album.
Speaker 1: There we Go.
Speaker 2: Feel the Illinoise come on, I feel.
Speaker 1: I hope he gets the other ones. I hope he does it. One day. I keep thinking about that. That bugs me. I stay up at night thinking about you and your albums. Souf, I call him Souf uh So Pulaski Day, which we have to celebrate in October eleventh. Let's let's get up to Chicago. He's one of Illinois's favorite sons. Here's some malort. Well, celebrate Pulaski Day. We'll get a get a Chicago dog. We'll go see a Cubs game in Wrigleyville. Drop by Second City, Oh man see what they have going on Plascu. Wise, since that's a big celebration. Uh yeah, yeah, so it is a holiday. And he said he sounded like a superhero coming in. So he's a Polish military officer. When he arrives in America, he looks at Washington and he says, I came here where freedom is being defended, to serve it and to live or die for it.
Speaker 3: Hard as nails, really tough, tough guy, tough sounding dude, like the cut of his gym.
Speaker 1: And so we come to the last, but not least, honorary Citizen of the US.
Speaker 2: Bestowed in twenty fourteen to Bernardo de Galvez.
Speaker 1: In seventeen seventy seven, Colonel Bernardo of Galvez was made the interim governor of Louisiana, and at the time Louisiana was under Spanish control. Galvez hated the British, so he helped smuggle supplies to the Continental forces through the port city of New Orleans. He also orchestrated a campaign against the Red Coats, defeating them in several battles, including Baltin Rouge. And he became general like you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's when he won some pretty significant battles in the Battle of Fort Charlotte, and he took mobile away from the British.
Speaker 2: Finally, I know.
Speaker 3: You wonder back after all these years, loathed these many years, And that's when Washington really praised Galvez as being a deciding factor in the outcome of the Revolutionary War. And then in twenty fourteen when this resolution was drafted that made Galvez an honorary citizen, that was quoted and put in the in the.
Speaker 2: Paperwork and the documentation.
Speaker 3: He's also you know, this is the most contemporary honorary citizenship that we've got on the books.
Speaker 2: Who knows, Who knows what's next? Ben Who knows who will come next?
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe someone listening today, It could be you.
Speaker 2: It could be you want to be a citizen of the United States. You don't want to do the work. Just become a key military lynchpin in some really important conflict that changes everything, or or you know.
Speaker 1: Do something that people will appreciate two hundred years after.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: True. Interesting facts about Galvez. He is, although he's little known today, he is the namesake of Galveston, Texas, which I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I thought that sounded familiar.
Speaker 1: Rights it's weird because he played such an instrumental role but is relatively little known, but.
Speaker 2: Didn't play any instruments the accordion.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I don't know accordions a lot to haul with you. Maybe he Yeah, because he wasn't the father of Calvary. He's no Pulaski. Pulaski being both from Poland and riding on horses all the time. Surely he's my accordion pick I like it. I don't want a pigeonhole or stereotype. I just think he's more likely to have an accordion, And I think about that a lot when we're doing this show. I think which of these historical figures is most likely to have an accordion.
Speaker 2: And to have accordion chops?
Speaker 1: So how did he die? Spoiler alert?
Speaker 2: He's dead. Yeah, he definitely died, and his remains are lost to history.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're doing our own sound effects. But while his bodily remains may be lost to history, his legacy is not. The bar is very high when it comes to honorary citizenship, and while many of these people on this list are controversial for one action or another, the truth remains that they did fundamentally huge things for the US and in the case of Mother Teresa, for people who are suffering in other parts of the world.
Speaker 3: That's right, So our hats off, our collective hats off to all these folks because they really did make a big impact, enough so that we were able to grant them citizenship. In these days, the citizenship is becoming more and more of a divisive thing, so it's sort of like almost the highest honor that you can. You know, it's not easy to get citizenship, and it's becoming even more difficult to get citizenship and to become a naturalized citizen. So hats off to all of these players players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And we want to hear your deep cuts. Folks. Who do you think is deserving of honorary citizenship today?
Speaker 2: And more importantly, who do you think you are? Let us know. You can write to us at Ridiculous at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that's a little confrontational. Hey man, you know, are you punchy? Are you punching?
Speaker 2: I'm not punchy. I'm just punching. Okay, I'm punching. I'm punching above my weight class, oh boy, and below the belt. At the same time you can.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram, you can find us on Twitter. You can find our favorite part of the show, your fellow listeners on our Facebook page or Ridiculous Historians, and you can follow our own strange adventures. I am at Ben Bollen on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I am at how Now Noel Brown on Instagram as well.
Speaker 1: Big, big, big thanks to Alex Williams, who composed the track and recently appeared on an episode of Ridiculous History with us. Do tune into that if you haven't checked it out. Paul, Mission Control Decket, I'm making eye contact with you outside the studio to thank you so much. Dude, Casey is pursuing his double life.
Speaker 2: He is as LaBouche, as Lebouche and La France yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, where he wears a leather jacket, has a single ear ring, single dangly cross earring, and we think he has two secret families that don't know about each other.
Speaker 2: And lots of other secret stuff.
Speaker 1: Did we mention this on air?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, okay, I think we mentioned it at the top of the show during the the Fmerald episode without great.
Speaker 1: Well, hats off to you, La Bouche. You are missed. And thinks so as always, to Gabe, our research associate. Thanks to you Ben.
Speaker 2: Thanks to you Pal, you really make it easy. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.