Speaker 1: Did you ever have a fort growing up? Yes?
Speaker 2: And you know what, Monroe is so into them right now.
Speaker 3: She loves like, well, this kind of fort she's doing is the chairs with the blankets and.
Speaker 2: Get under there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I made like forts outside. I created my dollhouse into more of a fort than a dollhouse. That when I was probably like seven, when I kind of got over, the dollhouse became a fort. Rocks, remember my rock bank rocks were everywhere.
Speaker 4: Hey, how big was your dollhouse to where you could make it a you could? You were it was a human sized dollhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like a wooden one, a big one. At least five of my friends could fit in there with me. Wait wait I had a kitchen?
Speaker 1: And how big were the dolls?
Speaker 3: This is you know, kids can buy life sized dollhouses where you go in them and they're like in your backyard.
Speaker 4: Oh so okay, So it's not it's essentially a pre prefab fort for your backyard where.
Speaker 3: Doll but a lot of you know a lot of girls have you have like a kitchen sink in there and you know been you play in it.
Speaker 2: It's the size of you, not for your dolls.
Speaker 3: So yes, I converted that into a fort for myself and my girlfriend, my friend Lindsay Knuckles, and we.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, gonna stop you real quick. Is this a nickname like she's in the mob? Or is her last name really not?
Speaker 2: Her last name was Knuckles.
Speaker 1: Yes, her name was Lindsay Knuckles.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We were on the soccer team together. She was like a tough chicky.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, thank you for joining us in Magical rewind We're gonna end the episode right there because it's never going to get any better than Lindsay Knuckles.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 2: I know, I love what's she's. She was awesome.
Speaker 3: But anyway, that was our hangout. You know, it's in my backyard. We decorated it with all my rocks that I told you.
Speaker 1: I love Knuckles still in your life?
Speaker 2: No not.
Speaker 3: We didn't end up going to the same high school, so we kind of, you know, drifted apart.
Speaker 2: I was into more dance.
Speaker 3: She did soccer and softball. But my dad did end up selling her a house later on in life when she was you know, an adult. So the Knuckles Yeah, yeah, so anyway, but yes, I had a four.
Speaker 2: I loved that thing. Yeah, I mean too I what was your fort?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: I know, my friends and I in the woods in Connecticut found an abandoned old chicken coop from like the eighteen hundreds and we rebuilt it up.
Speaker 1: It was two floors, we had a fireplace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we ended up almost burning it down several times, I'm sure, but.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 4: We'd ride our motorcycles there we can't in the It was really a ton of funk.
Speaker 3: You would ride your moat what you are a deep You were just waiting to be a dcon, weren't you.
Speaker 1: We were.
Speaker 4: I always like to tell people without the coolness the women or the karate we were Johnny from the Karate Kid where he like all his friends are riding around. We had none of the cool factor. But we all advices, so we all had dirt bikes the whole time. So yeah, yeah, our motorcycles.
Speaker 1: It was great. Oh yeah, we were at the chicken coop all the time.
Speaker 2: That is so cool? Is that what you guys called it? The chicken coop?
Speaker 1: Yeah coop or the chicken coo quot ah.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: I am, of course bringing this up, Sabrina, because our movie today has one of the coolest forts of all time. Anyway, Welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, then your popcorn, and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the Waves, Tsunamis and the high School's Musical. I'm will Ford Dell.
Speaker 5: And I'm Sabrina Bryan, and We're gonna jump on our motorized skateboards today and meet in the bunker, which is the Ford I'm talking about because this week we are mounting a front against nineteen eighty six is Sunday Night movie Wonderful World at Disney Entry the Brett, and that is of course B period R period, A period T period Brat Patrol.
Speaker 4: It first aired strangely on ABC in a Halloween week in nineteen eighty six, and then reruns found their way to the Disney Channel over the years, very very quickly.
Speaker 1: Sabrina, how old were you in nineteen eighty six?
Speaker 2: Two? Let it sink in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm letting it sink in. Luckily I'm old enough now to have already forgotten Moset. But this is one of the more obscure.
Speaker 1: Pieces of Disney media in general.
Speaker 4: Since it no longer airs on TV, and was only released in a very limited VHS for rentals.
Speaker 1: Now, how rare is this?
Speaker 4: So we know that our producers deep dive dig do everything. Apparently there hasn't even been a copy for sale on eBay in at least six years.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, which is crazy.
Speaker 4: You can get everything anything, yeah, including apparently human sized dollhouses and a shirt that says I'm friends with Lindsey Knuckles.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The movie was filmed at California's El Toro Marine Corps air Station and was critically well received upon release. You can watch a movie today on YouTube where someone was nice enough to upload it and it's actually a.
Speaker 1: Pretty decent equality on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the equality is not bad and it's it's free to see, so you really have no excuses. So check it out now, or you could listen to us first, or flip a coin if you want. But whatever it lands on, you got to follow the rules of the coin flip.
Speaker 1: Everybody knows that exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, heads, you watch the movie Tales, you get Lindsay Knuckles.
Speaker 1: We see how many times we can say Lindsay's not to call her out. We want to call her out, We want to call out.
Speaker 4: She's a great person with the greatest name in the world. I want an email from her myself now. It is worth noting this movie is not about the Brat Pack, which you would think, calling it the Brat Patrol in the mid eighties, which of course was a group.
Speaker 1: Of young actors in the eighties that included.
Speaker 4: Molly Ringwald, Rob Low and Angew McCarthy, though there is a documentary about them just hitting streaming services now.
Speaker 1: But don't watch this movie for the wrong reason if you think that's this is did you?
Speaker 4: We always asked this question, have you ever heard of the Brat Patrol before going in?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Well, I thought it was the Brat dolls.
Speaker 1: Right that they were like they're they're like a band or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I was thinking that's what I was prepared for.
Speaker 3: But other than that, but which I have not seen in so long, so that would be almost as if I was watching it for the first time, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure, but that's what I thought it was.
Speaker 3: I thought it was maybe a newer movie that I hadn't seen of it or something.
Speaker 2: But okay, yeah, it took me a while. Brat is it? Brat? Oh, Army brats, navy brats? You know? Got it?
Speaker 4: Got I think I saw this back in the day, because I, like you, in eighty six, I was ten.
Speaker 2: This is right up here.
Speaker 4: I was like, perfect kind of age. Yeah, I believe I've seen this. I remembered nothing about it, but I remember the name. I kind of vaguely remember Sean Aston starring in it. Okay, which, of course we will get to. But before we try to win the Youth Service Award, let's get into.
Speaker 1: A synopsis of the film.
Speaker 4: Yes, marine based brats stumble upon a plot to steal top secret military hardware on their way to win an.
Speaker 1: Award for community outreach. What'd you think.
Speaker 2: From the top?
Speaker 3: I was so interested, And of course, you know, when they're doing the first kind of establishing shots of these new characters, you know, I was giggling already because I was assuming you were thinking when that little toothbrush thing came out, I was going to ask about it.
Speaker 2: But I knew that was not I knew you were going to go there. I knew it was not. It was just an invention, you know.
Speaker 3: You know, of course, there was lots of cool stuff that they were I loved the little buggy that squeak. Oh, I loved that. I thought it was so adorable. I liked a lot of it. I thought there was so many fun, adventurous and really creative things that to see, you know that kids were making these kinds of things up. It was cute. I thought it was super cute. Tons of questions of certain things. Of course, I don't know how Squeaks makes it through the movie without dying, because they are horrible older like sibling friends. To him, that was felt like kind of sort of how it was with me with my sister. Yeah, they were so like funny with me, So I kind of I kind of felt for Squeaks a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I thought the movie was really cute. I liked it. It was cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt the same way.
Speaker 4: I had a huge realization when I watched this movie because this movie, to me, I was ten years old, right in my wheelhouse. The actors were all actors from my youth. I recognize most of these people, and I realized the feelings that I got watching this movie are probably the feelings most people get when they watch the movies from their youth that are from like the Cheetah Girls era, like when they watched Brink, when they watched things from two thousand, two thousand and five, and they were that that's the feeling I got when I watched this, because these were my kid movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I it was like this light dawned and me were like, oh okay, I'm overlooking plot points because it's Shawn Aston riding around in a bike and they're on a cool base and all the wackiness that's happening, I'm down for. So I kind of I again for those reasons I liked it. It was. Yeah, it brought me right back to being ten years old.
Speaker 2: So that was It was a great kids movie.
Speaker 3: I imagine if I was when it first came out. I mean thinking of all the gadgets and getting on my bike and getting chased by bad guys and being so awesome on my bike.
Speaker 2: I can actually outride a car, you know kind of stuff. Was just so fun. It was like it had a lot of energy.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It's fun and so oh man, so eighties right, this was again I say, we'll get into that a lot, but it's true, we will get into that because it was right after you know, it's only four years removed from Et with the kids riding all the bikes.
Speaker 1: After Goonies. There's a lot, a lot of cool kind of love that parallels to those movies.
Speaker 3: So feel like a movie made about Now you're gonna see kids in a dark room playing video games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, They're gonna be youtubing bikes. Yeah. Now, it's not the same. The movie stars Sean Aston as Leonard Kinsey. He's just fifteen years old and one year after his breakout performance in the Goonies, which is such a good movie.
Speaker 4: And this movie is obviously heavily influenced by having a group of ragtag friends that go on a bit of an adventure together against adults.
Speaker 1: All sounds very familiar, but I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: He is the son of legendary actress Patty Duke, and Aston would turn his child acting career into a massive homography, including Rudy Toy, Soldiers, Fifty First States, Stranger Things, and of course the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I am also going to add oh Whitewater Summer with Kevin Bacon.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: He was like our child actor for a long time.
Speaker 4: When you're watching Goonies and you're watching these movies, Sean Aston would hop up somewhere. This movie also marks the debut of a young Nia long as Darla Perkins, who's just sixteen and on her way to become a huge holliway star.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous all ready, this is one of the most stunning actresses and she is.
Speaker 2: She's good too, so young and so beautiful.
Speaker 4: You, of course have seen her in Boys in the Hood, Friday, Fresh, Prince of bel Air, Soul Food, Big Mama's House, You People, and so much more.
Speaker 2: Show so much more force in.
Speaker 4: The industry, and it's really fun to kind of see where it all started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was suck Cue and she was I also.
Speaker 4: Have to give a big shout out to our second movie ever with Jason Preson. Yes, who again we talk about movies that matter to me, Explorers. Oh, he was so great. He was also in this. We've also covered him already in The Leftovers. He was the inventor in The Left was the inventor in The Left and The Leftovers. Yeah, he invented the newspaper cannon that you thought was real during all of the eighties, which.
Speaker 3: Hey, I mean, it was so impressive. It might have been you just didn't have one in Connecticut.
Speaker 1: It's true. That's also true. We just said hear ye, hear ye, and rang a big bell.
Speaker 2: Oh got it?
Speaker 4: So Jason another enormous child star. He was great in everything. Go check out his resume because he's another one who was around forever. Yes, the length of this movie really does differ depending on where you watch it, but we've confirmed it again. We've said double triple checked. It is ninety one minutes long.
Speaker 2: Oh night mark.
Speaker 1: The bulls Eye.
Speaker 4: It's the closest we've come, but still is not technically a bulls Eye. It was directed by Molly Miller, who only has a handful of credits, which include Parent Trap three and Parent Trap Hawaiian The Honeymoon, which I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: I had no idea they had more than two Parent Traps.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've seen the first Parent Trap.
Speaker 4: And the most noticeable reason this movie is still notable is because of who it was written by. It was written by then first time writer Chris Carter, which of course is a recognizable name to many, as he would later become the creator of The X Files, one of the most popular sci.
Speaker 1: Fi shows in the history of television.
Speaker 4: He also created the show Millennium, which proved how big a deal he was for Fox at the time, since he was given a month to shoot the pilot and in the contract made sure no network notes or interference was given during the process, which to get that into your contract is insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: After the unprecedented success of the X Files and the spinoff movies, Carter semi retired and now he surfs and makes multimedia art. He does share a credit on the script with someone named Michael Patrick Goodman, and this is just one of three credits for Michael. He really only worked in Hollywood as a writer for one year.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Now, one question I do want to ask is have you ever been on a military base?
Speaker 1: No? Never, No, I have not. Interesting.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if the Cheetah girls had ever maybe toured, did something with the military, or something along those lines.
Speaker 2: We did it, and now I feel shafted.
Speaker 4: So my father is a retired captain in the Navy and in Connecticut. He was stationed when he was a Navy reserve but a high rank, so he was there quite a bit. And when he wasn't at the Pentagon, he was at the Groton sub Base in Groton, Connecticut. So I grew up getting to tour submarines and running around the base. It was really really cool. It was a ton of fun. It was just a great place to be. There was a bowling alley and I would be able to bring friends there and everyone saluting my dad everywhere we go, and they're saluting him when he comes onto the base and we locked down and see all the submarines in the docks, and it was really, really really cool. So while I'd never had the life of a brat, we didn't have to move around a lot, I still had the taste of the military bases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was great.
Speaker 4: Like the First Golf War, my father was stationed Signal of Sicily, was doing a lot of legal the legal aspects for the war in Italy, so it was I had a taste of the military. My father loves the military. Wow, loved being in the military and retired a captain. But being on a base is it's completely enclosed city.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So that is one of my questions as we're getting into the early parts of the movie I know we're going to get there, is that for real, they have little arcade areas.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all of ales clubs.
Speaker 2: And you guys just get to run around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got to just run around your.
Speaker 4: Own their own PX so they don't have to they can shut the PX is like a store, so you can shop and buy everything you need there. There's groceries, no need to leave, no completely inclosed city. I mean depending on the base obviously, but the at least the sub base in Gratten was a completely enclosed city. The gate would close behind you and whatever you needed was there. We will I think my dad did let me bring my bike a couple times. I could ride my bike around the base. It was really fun.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, oh man, I got the best of both words.
Speaker 2: Need to tour one of these now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well I never I never had to move. Yes, I got to experience that, but I wasn't. That's a tough life where you're a year or two at a base, you try to make friends, and you're out in your So.
Speaker 3: My mother in law was like that for a while until she came to Orange County and figured out a way when she was here in high school to settle to be able to stay in high school while her her dad got again sent over to Hawaii and she she wanted to finish high school here, and she she talks about how tough it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are big moves.
Speaker 4: You will find people that are in Texas for a year and then the next year, they're in Germany for two years, and then you go and it's you're You're in Japan all of a sudden, You're all over the place. It is a tough life for a kid, but it was interesting how they captured that in the movie. Yeah, I can't say this right off the bat. I don't know if you noticed this, but the Brat Patrol is going to have no matter what we watch in the future, the worst sound ever the movie is filmed.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's because they filmed on a real base then? And it was the flying that I mean, it was voiceover, Like I mean in the movie.
Speaker 4: At least, yes, has got to be voiceover for the characters. Sometimes they're hidden off scream completely just to make it work. And a large portion of the movie just includes planes flying by, because when you're at an active military base, they're obviously not going to hold their sorties for the day so that you can.
Speaker 1: Film a movie.
Speaker 4: It's like, sure, you want to film movie, go ahead, but you're gonna have you know, military jets flying over you mostly right, right, So yeah, it has to be there, but it was hugely noticeable.
Speaker 2: Yes, the evolution of what it's become.
Speaker 3: Now, what was funny that I thought, Okay, sure, you've got to do another scene. But what I thought was interesting back then, what it seemed like they did is if it was just your line that needed to be redone, they would just do yours and then keep mine as films.
Speaker 2: And that's when it got really obvious.
Speaker 3: You could see it, which they would never do now if it was a scene, you would both have to go in and.
Speaker 2: Dub it to get you know, both of us would have to do it.
Speaker 1: But it was. It was noticeable in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: The movie opens up at wake Up for the BRAT Patrol, which we learned stands by the way the BRAT stands for born, Raised and trapped, referencing the idea that they're stuck in the base because of their jobs. It's a small group of outcasts, including Nia Long, who wears a sweatshirt with her name Darla on it in case she doesn't know whose sweatshirt it is, and she's with three other misfits, Raymond, Squeak, and Bug, all on their way to school they're waiting for Aston's Leonard, who appears to be a bit of a slacker. He's a smart ass, he's very young. Sean Aston gets the great young Shahan Askon character. He's late because he slept in. Planes are taking off, which is where the sound issues are starting. And this is when every kid in nineteen eighty six who saw this movie went, oh my god, what is that.
Speaker 1: I need to get that immediately.
Speaker 4: And he says, let's go catch some waves and jumps on the first ever I think that we've ever seen motorized skateboard.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I loved what it was called. Later on it was this called the sidewalk Surfer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so cool, so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're ten eleven years old and you see this kid zipping down.
Speaker 1: He's holding some control in his hand. It's going on. It looks so cool, going so fast.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I would you think that they're had I mean, I feel safety wise, there had to have been someone else on that it could not think they didn't know that.
Speaker 4: They definitely then cut to a close up of him riding it, and it doesn't look like he's riding it, so it had to all.
Speaker 3: In as he is then that just looks so this would be up there for kids, though.
Speaker 4: I think with the first time you saw the hoverboard in Back to the Field, Back.
Speaker 1: To the Future, I need one of those Yes this was but this was real.
Speaker 4: It was so cool and somedays so will hoverboards fingers crossed.
Speaker 2: Well, these are real now, Oh these have.
Speaker 1: Been around since the eighties, but nobody had these things.
Speaker 2: No, okay, okay, so.
Speaker 1: Cool to see this cool, but yes, this was fully revolutionary in nineteen eighty six, and he surfed to school. It looked so cool. Safety in this movie was right out the window, though.
Speaker 4: I believe he's wearing a helmet at least as he's sidewalk surfing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, right, okay, yes, none of them do when they're riding their bikes. No, but a sidewalk surfing, he's doing that.
Speaker 4: We also now meet the Junior Marines, oh man, four very structured military school bullies who were UNI. But I will say some of the most polite bullies we've ever seen put on film.
Speaker 3: Oh my, Sabritases is just I was just freaking out about some of these confrontations and how they didn't go anywhere in real life. You throw a bucket of water on me. Homie is getting punched out right, I think.
Speaker 1: Those who would not hear they're being super played.
Speaker 4: And then if he's getting his team together, he's saying things like I want you to go down to the old folks home and help everybody. I like the nicest bullies that have ever been put on film. Obviously, there as the junior Marines on the base, but they're also part of the country club.
Speaker 2: There, very high class.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is a thing, Okay, I think.
Speaker 3: It's probably I'm just gonna ask that now that I know you're an expert.
Speaker 4: Well, there's there's certainly things called officers clubs, which are clubs obviously specifically for officers, and enlisted personnel are not allowed to go there. However, it's usually like a bar club situation. It could there could be some bases that have golf courses or pools, maybe just for officers.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I never saw that, but it could possibly be a thing. Okay, they hate the brat patrollers, these junior Marines because Sean Aston and his crew the previous year won the Youth Service Award by throwing a tennis tournament and making sure the blind Kids won that. It is a movie where these two groups of kids are trying to out nice each other.
Speaker 2: I know, very strange.
Speaker 1: You think you could be good. We're gonna be twice as good as you.
Speaker 3: I want you to help seventeen grandmas across the street.
Speaker 2: Your quote.
Speaker 1: It was they were the nicest people in the world.
Speaker 4: I'd also like to point out that one of the junior Marines I don't have his name, is in a movie that I love so much as a kid that is the ultimate Holy cow?
Speaker 1: Does this movie not hold up? Now?
Speaker 4: Called Just one of the Guys. He played the brother in Just One of the Guys. He was hysterical, But man, does that movie not hold on?
Speaker 2: He wasn't the main junior marine. He was.
Speaker 1: He was the best friend.
Speaker 2: Okay, I recognized him too. I don't know what his name is.
Speaker 1: He's done a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: He's done a lot of works.
Speaker 4: It also believe we've talked about this show. I believe he played Koran Nemick's best friend. His name is Billy Jane.
Speaker 1: He played Koran Nemick's best friend in Parker Lewis Can't Lose, which is the show that you and I talked about where they break the fourth wall.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, pretty sure. He was in that as the best Friend too. He usually plays the brother of the best friend. Great actor. Man, just one of the guys does not hold up. But yes, he was also in Parker Lewis camp.
Speaker 2: Just one of the guys.
Speaker 1: All right, if you want to see I was in Kujo too.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: This guy was in everything Fujo.
Speaker 4: We got to get him on the show because he's Yes, what is not great is just one of the guys.
Speaker 1: It is great, It just doesn't hold it.
Speaker 4: So these tough guys, they don't want to lose again, so they end up confronting the brats in the bathroom and kind of threatening them. They don't nothing gets physical. No, it's more just don't be so good.
Speaker 3: Yes, And you don't get a sense that the brat patrol has any anxiety around these guys. There's no fear factor. They're not thinking they're going to get beat up. They're really just kind of chatty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, bullies is in the right.
Speaker 4: But the best part of this, the coolest, best part of the scene is how they all say goodbye and we actually have a clip.
Speaker 1: Comell boys, let's get wet. But that's come on, boys, let's get get what.
Speaker 3: It's not the last quote of this movie that is hilarious either.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: Such good funny one liners that you're going what I.
Speaker 4: By the way, this is the only way in the future I will ever leave a room is by saying.
Speaker 2: Let's get wet. I love It's so good.
Speaker 4: Imagine saying that while trying to act tough as a young marine. Yes, Oh it was good. I'm also going to need a new T shirt that says just that. Now we had mentioned this movie has a lot in common with Shawn Aston's huge blockbuster from a year prior to The Goonies, with the kids fighting against the bullies, riding bikes stumbling into crime, but one that does differentiate them.
Speaker 1: This gang has We've talked about this his Shawn Aston gang. The Brats have the coolest little hangout.
Speaker 4: It is an abandoned bomb shelter where they hold their meetings and talk to each other using Morse code eyeblinks.
Speaker 2: Oh I hated it, did you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I couldn't stand it. Stop blinking Like.
Speaker 4: Here's what I loved about It's Marina just you.
Speaker 2: They look like when my contacts get dry.
Speaker 3: And I'm sitting here because the light I use while we're doing our podcast, and I'm like, my eyes are drying out.
Speaker 2: I'm looking crazy. I see them on the clips on Instagram. They're so embarrassed.
Speaker 4: It is just the blinky blinky for these guys, and I think it's supposed to be most coded obviously is did you now you had a fort?
Speaker 1: Did you ever have a secret language growing up? Your friends? Ever? Nothing ever swept your school?
Speaker 2: No, we learned, well, we learned that one language. I don't even remember what.
Speaker 3: It where you take the last letter and put in the front big Latin.
Speaker 2: Is that what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That was a little bit to get into my fort. You had to know the handshake. That was one thing, like it was a hand You had a.
Speaker 1: Secret handshake to get into your fort. Oh yeah, what was it? You don't remember what it is?
Speaker 2: I can't tell you. You can't get into my fort. We're not friends like that.
Speaker 1: Yet, you believe we're not fort friends?
Speaker 2: That would you let me in the coop?
Speaker 1: Of course you would have let you in the coop, all right? Would have killed to have girls come in the coop? Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: I honestly don't even know if I could remember it, but I bet you Lindsay.
Speaker 2: If Lindsay was here, we could do it. Knuckles nuckles, Remember that's cool.
Speaker 4: We also had it was like Whittiga they called it something like that, which went around our school in high school for a year.
Speaker 1: Was like agari to do it again, and you do it early fat, something like that.
Speaker 2: I do remember I had.
Speaker 4: Friends that could just whip it off and it was like, what the hell are you saying?
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 4: There's also a kind of a fun moment here where seawn Aston actually calls the bad kids goonie birds, which I thought was kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Goonies had just come out.
Speaker 4: So the first conflict is they want to win this Youth Service Trophy again, right, But the Marines, the young Marines, really want it, so they're gonna out nice the Brat Patrol and essentially say stay out of our way because we're gonna meet.
Speaker 1: We're gonna out nice you.
Speaker 4: And so to get back at the junior Marines, the Brat Patrol decides to throw a pool party, but it isn't what you and I would consider a pool party. It means they attacked the junior marines with motorized tennis ball machines and water balloons filled with like a powder that I think it's mentos.
Speaker 1: Is that what they're going for? Because he just says bubbly doesn't bubbly.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure. I thought this was an eighties thing that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: This was not an eighties wall. Everybody had Bubbly back in the day.
Speaker 3: Well, and I, yeah, this this wasn't really the greatest sabotage.
Speaker 1: Weird, it's a weird sabotage.
Speaker 3: First of all, why weren't they conspicuous, Like why they had a perfect place on the top of the roof to.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, why go down the slide?
Speaker 3: They could have really got them better and also poured water on them.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so much more stuff they could have done.
Speaker 4: But I guess what it was was they so the first time they fired the balloons, so they're up on the roof, they sneak up on a roof, they fill balloons with water and this fizzy whatever it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I thought they were gonna Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought they were going to nail the guys below them, That's what I thought. But then they start shooting them into the pool. So I think they're trying to turn the pool busy right all then hitting the then they aim.
Speaker 4: It at the It's not a well conceived plan, right of sabotage if we're on no.
Speaker 3: And then this is the first time where you see Squeak almost dying on the roof because he fully trips.
Speaker 1: Did he Oh, I didn't see that. He's a trip on the Did they almost lose Squeak? Did they really.
Speaker 3: Literally trips? So that's what I'm thinking. I thought, Oh, this is when Squeak's gonna get hurt. But then all of a sudden he's back down with the tennis balls and then he wasn't really sure what he was how he was getting them up and over.
Speaker 2: I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't understand where the pool was to the tennis course. That whole part was just kind of it just it kind of just missed the beat, like it missed the punchline of it.
Speaker 4: Even the guys rolling off the backwards off the chairs in sync.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it did.
Speaker 2: Like that, but that's cue. I thought that was cute.
Speaker 1: I rolled my eyes.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, on really cover and after and.
Speaker 1: So they the war has begun.
Speaker 4: Then they steal the general of the base, they steal his golf cart and and do the worst getaway ever were First of all, they almost kill Squeak again.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you noticed that. I didn't see the first time, but they.
Speaker 4: Almost ran this kid over, literally almost backed over Squeak.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: He was trying to catch up.
Speaker 2: I was like, get up, get up, buddy, you can do it, you.
Speaker 1: Can do it. It was the safety. The safety patrol was not there this day.
Speaker 3: No, there there was not one on this this movie at all, I don't think.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, there are so many planes flying overhead that you can barely hear what's.
Speaker 2: Happening, hear anything. I know.
Speaker 3: It was that was really I think the first time the planes happened at some point, and that seem to be the first time where you're going, oh, those have not been put in.
Speaker 4: The old there's just planes. There's nothing we can do. There are planes, and you know, they use the best take. So that's the best they got.
Speaker 2: That's all they got.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're never actually caught for any of these shenanigans, but they're still given community service, which I also found weird because all they're.
Speaker 4: Trying to do is win a trophy for doing community service. All the while, the Junior Marines are performing voluntary good deeds and hoping of winning the trophy that year, and we learn a very important senator is visiting that weekend to hand out the award. So everyone has to be on their best behavior. And they're learning this all through one of their allies on the base. They are friends with a major who was another big eighties actor, great movie called Volunteers.
Speaker 1: Check that out with Tom Hanks. He's done a ton of stuff.
Speaker 4: And after they finished their punishment, they accidentally This is where the movie then gets another little twist and more conflict. They stumble on what they believe is a clandestine business deal where a serviceman is secretly selling high tech equipment and confidential information to civilians. So now not only do they have the trophy to worry about, they need to save the entire country. But uh, the first thing they do so I was like, Okay, this is going to be an eighties movie. They are gonna fit. We gotta get them, We got to figure out how to do this. No, the first thing they do is they go and tell an adult it was the great I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're doing it right.
Speaker 4: At several points during this movie, several different times they go and try to tell an adult what's happened, and they have.
Speaker 3: The reverse effect because from what the adults are saying, they're bringing up other situations that they've brought to them.
Speaker 4: That turned out to be fake or whatever. Yeah, the boy cried Wolfulllake.
Speaker 3: Talk about Leonard's imagination being very over the top and just too much.
Speaker 4: But still a movie where the kids do the right thing by several times to go and talk to the adults about this, the adults don't.
Speaker 1: Want to know.
Speaker 2: Every time they do, and the adults absolutely shut him down.
Speaker 4: And so one of the things they do is one of the adults finally says, I'll come with you. There was this a giant piece of loose fence that Jason Preston's character leans against and slams down.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a hard fall. Whoever get that far was that fall?
Speaker 4: That was a hard hard It knocked the wind out of me and I was watching the movie, so that was that was a big hard FALLT Yeah, they bring the major back with them and the fence has been repaired instantly.
Speaker 1: None of the.
Speaker 4: Tracks are there. This is where they saw the bad guys loitering were around.
Speaker 2: So, but this is where it started.
Speaker 3: I felt like the villain that was doing the exchange, he seemed to have a lot of information. Where how did he know that that was the fence that they were gonna take the major two? I don't know how did he know that?
Speaker 4: My guess is he's just because he's probably the one that that made the fence. Yeah, that helped cut open the fence. Okay, that's also a character actor. I will get his name for everybody who has played that same kind of role in everything he was.
Speaker 1: He was the bad guy, like the Bad Cop and RoboCop two.
Speaker 4: So this guy is always playing that kind of shifty guy who is constantly going against like his own team. So he was a bad cop and RoboCop two. He's a bad officer in this one. So at this point, it's really hurt their chances because they can't prove anything that's going on.
Speaker 1: So this trophy seems like it's way out of reach.
Speaker 4: That's when the Junior we realize the Junior Marines are in the lead for the trophy. They're lifeguarding, feeding pets, oiling wheelchairs local, they're hanging out in old folks homes.
Speaker 1: It's like they are really really digging it. The brats know they can't they can't keep up with them now.
Speaker 3: They they cannot keep doing They are having too much fun with all their inventions.
Speaker 2: And rights, so they don't have time.
Speaker 1: The thing that's strange is they decide the way to win the trophy is to catch the criminals and save the base and the country because it's like illegal weapons dealers, and then the general of the base and the senator coming will have no choice but to crown them.
Speaker 4: And all of this is barely being heard over the emags playing noises that are still happening as the.
Speaker 1: Movie goes on.
Speaker 3: It's so hard too, is it's hard to kind to rewind on YouTube, And so when I needed because I couldn't really hear it, I had to rewind that. I'm like, this movie's taking me not ninety one minutes, but one hundred and forty six to watch because I have to keep rewinding it to hear what the freaking audio.
Speaker 4: And it just goes right over their dialogue and you know they're just like, forget it, just put it in role, just going nothing we can do. They're doing touch and goes today, there's gonna be planes over us all day long.
Speaker 1: Let's just go So they figure out what they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: One of the things they do is they have Darla take candid photos of the possible criminals. And it's essentially all Nea Long does throughout the entire movie. She really doesn't help in any way shape form. They gave this careater nothing to do.
Speaker 2: Really, they didn't build her character at all. It was so disappointed.
Speaker 4: Stephen Lee, by the way, is the name of that character actor that was in this A bad cop, the bad cop.
Speaker 1: But he yes, So I would like to have seen Nia Long do something else.
Speaker 4: Also would like to have seen at some point her taking pictures. She's doing that from the cockpit of a plane.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: They're breaking into places and doing stuff all under the cover of bright daylight. Yes, it's two o'clock in the afternoon and she's in the cockpit of a play.
Speaker 2: The amount of times that these kids do things right in front of adults, right in front of.
Speaker 3: Them, and nobody even blinks an eye.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe they couldn't shoot at night on the base. Yeah, Like maybe that wasn't allowed I don't recall a single thing taking place at night in the.
Speaker 2: Whole movie, so yeah, maybe that was it.
Speaker 4: But Darla's taking the photos, Squeak and Bug steal data from military data banks and compute. Yeah, the computers are so old you can actually hear them thinking. And meanwhile, Leonard and Raymond are caught investigating an off limit security center by the Junior Marines who surround them on their mopeds and they look like a Kowanas club or like one of the elks, like driving around them and all wearing the same outfits on their little mopeds.
Speaker 1: That was all that was going through my head, was like the parades and the little cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I yeah, the mopeds were hilarious to me.
Speaker 1: They were great.
Speaker 2: They were so good.
Speaker 3: Because they could have had a dirt bike type of motorcycle.
Speaker 4: Right, But this is apparently what they give the Junior Marines is junior mopeds.
Speaker 1: You get, you get a little bit kind of an inkling of the early workings of Chris Carter here with all the procedural work, all the questioning of authority.
Speaker 4: They even mentioned bigfoot and alien encounters. There's also then use of a chocolate grenade. Yes, so they throw a chocolate grenade at the guy. The Junior Marines to get away, then dive into a.
Speaker 1: Weirdly placed water bind It wasn't even like a pool. It was like a pool of water that just happened to be there.
Speaker 2: It looked like a trough that's pigs.
Speaker 1: Drink that just happened to be there. In case somebody throws a chocolate grenade at.
Speaker 3: Here randomly, just a little what would they consider that? A bunker of some sorts something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but.
Speaker 4: I guess if somebody throws a chocolate grenade, you hit the first water source weirdly placed near you.
Speaker 3: I will say, throughout this entire movie, the Junior Marines get completely thrashed all the time, their poor moms and their laundry that they have to get to. It's the pools, it's the waters, it's it's just there's constant stuff on them.
Speaker 1: It's well, in all fairness, he left the room saying, let's get wet, and that's why.
Speaker 2: That's what he did all the whole movie.
Speaker 4: Every single time. Okay, so it's finally time for the Senator to visit. Every kid in the base needs to be on their best behavior and shocking. But they the Senator lands on a runway to ear piercing airplane noises again with then a band playing, so they're shouting over all this stuff.
Speaker 1: It's a very loud movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but thanks to all the brat patrols, hard work investigation, because again they've gone to adults three hundred times and nobody wants to listen to them. They find the civilians are two brothers at a nearby autobody shop, and they think those are the thugs that are involved in the illegal racket.
Speaker 1: But just as they discover this, they're in their fort.
Speaker 4: They're the underground bunker and they are attacked by the on base service guy, who is again we've talked about the Stephen Lee's character who bear hugs Leonard, and that's where the scene gets.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say but we can bleep, but it does.
Speaker 2: It is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Squeak is on the floor in a ball crying behind.
Speaker 1: Such sque loss, Squeeze lost, Squeak. Squeak's lucky to be alive at this point and it's just looking for cover and so Squeak is just shouting the entire time.
Speaker 4: Then the blinking starts as he's blinking, blinking, your favorite. They start blinking back and forward at each other to send messages of what to do. As the guy is still holding Leonard, they then flash a light in the space, cut down a giant parachute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a circus tent comes over again, yes, it and they tie him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a strange kind of way to trap him in a tent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you would think that that that circus tent would obviously limit his movement, but not the ability to take out these teenagers right that are attacking him.
Speaker 4: You would think, I mean, when one of them is squeak, is twenty seven pounds, soaking wet.
Speaker 1: So it was as it was a strange scene.
Speaker 3: Strange And again, how did he know where they were in the first place?
Speaker 4: I think he followed them because if you notice again under the cover of daylight, he had binoculars and is trying to follow everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, at this point, I think that's what they were alluding to.
Speaker 4: Now, they just need to lure the brothers to the base, the brothers, and so to do that, they say, the best way to lure them there is by having them think they're speaking to an adult and they want to get Jason Presson's character to do it, and he's like, this is a bridge too far, I'll be killed.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do this.
Speaker 4: So instead they have one of the inventions that one of his friends makes is deepens your voice slightly.
Speaker 1: It slightly deepens your voice.
Speaker 4: So Seawan Assen's character calls with the slightly deeper voice and says, they have this magical piece of equipment the baddies want to buy called data bursts, which apparently is like the mother load for terrorists. So yeah, so he's like, we've got him, and again instead of talking to him like this, he's talking to him like this.
Speaker 1: So they think he's an adult. A very risky play.
Speaker 2: So risky.
Speaker 4: See he's bad guys onto the base and you're just a bunch of kids that are going to pretend to be adults in the shadows. Yeah, very strange, But throughout all this it actually works.
Speaker 2: Yet somehow they get them, They get them, to get them.
Speaker 4: To agree, they rig the meeting place with traps and recording devices to prove the scheme and thus save the world and win the trophy.
Speaker 1: So at this point the movie just becomes a pattern over and over.
Speaker 4: The Brat Patrol makes some progress, then they have a running with the Junior Marines, then they get in trouble with the military higher ups.
Speaker 1: They have to fight their way back.
Speaker 4: It's that over and over again, covered with a ton of airplane sounds, and then a food fight. There's finally some sort of fight between the Junior Marines and the Brat Patrol and it becomes.
Speaker 1: A food fight.
Speaker 2: We don't even get to see the food fight though, we just.
Speaker 1: See the after math.
Speaker 3: Maath It's finally gonna happen something, and we see the aftermath. We don't even get to see the food thrown in the air.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been in a food fight? Have you ever done a food fight scene?
Speaker 3: So this was one of my favorite things I did when I was really little and I was just doing background work. I was in the movie Matilda and we got to do that at the kind of the end of it with the miss trunch.
Speaker 2: Bowl, that food fight.
Speaker 3: We did that food fight over and over and over again for two days. I mean it was just food fight, clean up, different angle, all this stuff.
Speaker 2: It was so fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, starting on Nickelodeon then and going to Disney, I've been in many many food fights. And the thing they never prepare you for is not that the food's cold. It's not that it smells. It's not that it hurts if you take a meat ball in the face, which has happened to me. It's that the floors.
Speaker 6: Get ridiculously slippery to where it's dangerous on an ice skating rinks, you're trying to have fun, but you're also trying not to fall and take a table.
Speaker 4: To the side of the head. Totally, very, very dangerous. So even after being busted for the food fight and grounded, the Brat Patrol still sets up the sting to pull off their biggest adventure just in time for the trophy ceremony, which again is completely and totally muted by loud noises, So they pull the guys into the base. They are able to do it, Squeak messes up. They're pretending to be corrupt marines. They learn the body shop Brothers to buy the data Burst, but Squeak makes a mistake and exposes Leonard's real voice. They make a run for it. They're chased by the Scary Brothers, which is also the Scary Brothers chasing them is exactly like the goonies.
Speaker 1: So much, and then we get the DCM signature of clearly grown stunt men riding bikes pretending to be kids in a chase. Yeah, now you could tell Sean Aston is good on his bike.
Speaker 4: He's whipping around, he's flipping his bike ground but on the jumps and everything, it is clearly forty year old men playing and everyone including me along it seems.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and they're able to outrun the villains.
Speaker 4: They make it to the awards ceremony with.
Speaker 1: The bad guy in tow. Why he wouldn't just take off.
Speaker 4: And not want to be around the General and the Senator and the Marines and everybody.
Speaker 1: Else, but he follows them in to the thing once again.
Speaker 4: Two of the junior Marines get thrown into giant celebratory cakes. They are just constantly covered in stuff during this entire thing, and the Brat Patrol, with the help of the Major, are able to expose the nefarious plans and the stolen goods, busting the thieves. Because the original thieves chase them through a tunnel in a van, the van gets wedge, they can't get out. They've essentially imprisoned themselves in this van. So after they go, and they go to the trophy ceremony. They go back and they are able to catch the batties, who also say, yeah, that guy the MP help, so they arrest the MP as well, and boom, now they've won the trophy. Leonard gives a long winded thank you speech and holds up the trophy to nobody because the entire place is emptied out.
Speaker 2: Everyone is gone, everyone's.
Speaker 4: Gone, and the and it just cuts right to the credits with an American flag waving and giant plain noises again, and there's your movie. It starts with a plain noise, as plain noises a little, and it ends with a plain noise. Did you like the ending of this movie? Did this feel heartwarming to you or did it feel a little el.
Speaker 3: It summed up Leonard's character for me, because the whole time I'm thinking, Gosh, this guy's kind of a douche.
Speaker 2: He's not a great friend. He's just you know, he's so cocky.
Speaker 3: He's not helping when they when they get in trouble because of his crazy ideas.
Speaker 2: And have to do community service.
Speaker 3: His little speech kind of summed it up as far as he's just you know.
Speaker 2: And finally, when squeak pulls the plug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that moment. I agree to where his friends are just like enough of you.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, and you know again we get the full button of this trophy that they've apparently didn't seem to care about honestly, just but now do.
Speaker 1: And it is very strange.
Speaker 4: It's time for real reviews, Sabrica. I think it is your time to do the five star review. I believe what do we got today?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Five star from Jerry am one of the best Disney movies of the eighties. Sean Aston is great and made me want to attach a motor to my skateboard.
Speaker 2: Chocolate grenades also rule agreed, I said.
Speaker 4: I will take the one star. This is from Joey p. Luckily it's not confusing at all. Okay, the one star review is what's the arcade game they take apart to make the alarm? Will change my score once I find out?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, back to joe.
Speaker 1: We don't know what it is, Joey, uh, we'll find out.
Speaker 4: I think it's you know, since it was probably a game from eighty six, you'd probably have to use a different game now right, Speaking of games, we've got a new one this week. Our new feature is a game called acro HMMs. We all know that Brat acro acro hms because we all know that Bratt in brat Patrol is an acronym. But do you know some other random acronyms. We'll get a word and then we have to guess what the letters stand for. For example, yolo is you only live once?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 1: I didn't know that?
Speaker 2: Why could that have been one? Jensen? I do that one?
Speaker 4: There you go and scuba as all the boy me worlt fans know, is something creepy underboat Andy, it's actually self contained underwater breathing apparats. Okay, so we have to write the letter of our answer and say them on three. Okay, Now, I'm not gonna do the first one with you because I already know the answer to this one. I've always known what the acronym for laser is. Okay, so I'll let you do the first one. Is it a light and sound emulation rounding B loose and safe entrance rays see light amplification by stimulated emissions of radiation or d lightened and amplified standard energy rates.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go see C is correct?
Speaker 4: I can even it is light edification by stimulated emission of radiation.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: But now, Sabrina, maybe it was that Will is involved that made you so bad at this.
Speaker 1: That's that's what it is. It's my fault. Our second word is radar.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Is it either a radio detection and ranging B riding and delayed amplification, radio ce ratio announcements defer to cross reaction or d roaming airwaves down or above rebound quickly?
Speaker 1: One two three B A. Well, Will's back. It's a.
Speaker 2: That doesn't it doesn't even spell raider. There's an a missing scene.
Speaker 1: You're right. That is kind of weird.
Speaker 2: I mean miss that you put in there as a jokester. One, No, that was that's serious.
Speaker 1: But it is true that it's.
Speaker 2: Missing at A. That one's garbage.
Speaker 4: It's not only an acronym, it's what is the other thing where it's it's spelled the same way frontwards and backwards.
Speaker 1: Technical term as slipsy doozy.
Speaker 4: That is not correct. I forget the name of it. But it's like race car. It's spelled the same way front with you spell it frontwards or backwards. It's all the same way. Okay, an easier one, but nice dad?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Our third one p s L is it a proton simulation laboratory, B phaser, SONO lights, C prism, sun landing or D pumpkin spice latte?
Speaker 2: D oh? Sorry?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 2: Hey, man, I knew when I put pumpkin spice lott I should get it right, man.
Speaker 4: Okay, well I figured proton was going to be in there somewhere.
Speaker 1: By the way, if flipsy is a palindrome, palindrome, that's what it is, a palindrome. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Can we do a Shabrina sees, which, by the way, is not a palindrome?
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Yes, we can. Let's get into it. Okay, this is what I want to talk about, because we didn't go over.
Speaker 2: It at all.
Speaker 3: The scene where they are painting rocks and what we did talk about it. They come in their mopeds, but that's the first time where you're going. He gets a full bucket thrown on him and does nothing right, and then they start to get a little bit more hot and a little bit more angry, and Leonard goes, this is a quote. If you guys don't want to be the uncommon denominators. You better just back off.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, died.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 3: It was almost as good, but probably not as good as come on, boys, Let's get wet.
Speaker 2: Let's I had, but I had both boys.
Speaker 3: Let's get wet sounds creepy.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay.
Speaker 3: And then I don't know if you caught this or not, but this is just the last one because we really went over so many of mine.
Speaker 2: But when they're in the the.
Speaker 3: They're four yea and they each give each other a high five. And then Leonard goes to high five the what's the guy that wears the hat and his character?
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't remember his character's name right now?
Speaker 4: What the best friend? Yes, yeah, that's Jason Presson. I don't know, I can't remember his character.
Speaker 2: Jason's character.
Speaker 3: Leonard goes to high five him and totally hits his head, Yes, hits his head, and he just it wasn't part. You could tell it was an accident, and he just like keeps going with the lines, like he doesn't even even acknowledged.
Speaker 1: Lamps in the face, So I didn't even see that.
Speaker 3: And then also I think the last one, I think this was not done on purpose.
Speaker 2: It didn't seem like it anyway.
Speaker 3: When Squeak almost dies from the smallest car that.
Speaker 2: Is the smallest little golf cart thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: The kids almost killed adults on it looked insane.
Speaker 3: They looked like they were in a clown car. But when the kids are in it and he does, I think he probably heard Squeak go, you almost killed me, or you're you're gonna you're killing me. Because he almost he runs into the jack. I don't think they meant to do that. I think that was that was the total outtake. It looked too good.
Speaker 2: It looked way.
Speaker 4: Too Also, hits hard, and I think it's because he almost ran over the six year old.
Speaker 1: That was Yes, I think he was.
Speaker 2: Just spazing out. It was.
Speaker 1: It did not look good, so.
Speaker 3: Good, not for Squeak, and then he's like, oh no, looks back, and then are in front of him. I don't think that was planned. I think that literally just happened. I'm I'm sticking.
Speaker 4: I gotta watch again. I can't wait to go. I missed the guys slapping in the face.
Speaker 3: Slapping in the face is pretty good. It's when they're divising their plan. It's towards the middle.
Speaker 4: Okay, that I have to see again. It's now the time where we rate the movie. Yes, we always rate one out of ten, one being the worst, ten being the best, of course, and this week, would you like to do one out of ten ear piercing plane noises, I mean blinking I code words, motorized skateboards. Let's go get wets one out of ten, arcade game parts one out of ten, never ending movie patterns. I'm also going to add one out of ten almost dead squeaks.
Speaker 2: Let's do that one.
Speaker 1: You want to do that one? Almost dead squeaks? All right, all right, pea squeaks, alrightp squeaks?
Speaker 4: One out of ten rip squeaks. I think I went first last time, didn't I? Yes, okay, I think so, I think so too. Go ahead, How many rip squeaks are you giving? Brat patrol?
Speaker 3: So you know this is not We haven't done a ton of the Disney movies for ABC versus the Disney Channel, so I kind of somewhat compare them versus the d coms. They kind of seem like there's a definite difference between the movies. So I'm going Haunted Mansion. Was it as good as Haunted Mansion. I think it was definitely better than the leftovers. I should write my my scores down because I don't remember. I'm going to go for I'm going to give this a seven point five.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it. I thought it was really good.
Speaker 4: I you know, it's funny. I'm right there with you. I'm going to give it a seven rip squeaks.
Speaker 2: Rip seven point five irip squeaks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it brought me back to the eighties, great young cast who all went on to be, you know, do amazing things. And I think you're right there were there's a especially for the eighties, you know, when you've got a wonderful world of Disney. In the eighties, they had good characters, good actors.
Speaker 1: It was a fun romp.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm gonna go with seven rip squeaks.
Speaker 2: Cleeks.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: And since we just watched a movie that took place on a military base, we have to shout out all of our men and women in uniform all across the world that are helping us out. Thank you so much for your service. And if you get the opportunity to go on to a military base, you really should check it out because, like I said, it is a small city into itself and it's really a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: We also we have so this is really cool. We have a very interesting part Copper episode.
Speaker 4: This week, we sat down with the studio executive credited with creating the modern day d com.
Speaker 1: He is the reason why we are all here.
Speaker 4: His name is Michael Healy, and he talks all about the creation of franchises like High School Musical and The Chetah Girls.
Speaker 1: What went into making a successful dcom.
Speaker 4: It is a very candid and honest conversation you won't want to miss on our magical rewind feed. It really is a ton of fun. Let's hear a small snippet of that now.
Speaker 7: Disney Channel was always sort of torn between kind of good for you, high class, award winning things and popular entertainment. And I was on the popular entertainment side, but I wanted to make them good too. And I remember the first response I got when we wrote the script for che the Girls was a real big shot there said, oh, this is too linguoly for me, which I meant that it was in It was written in modern slang, which of course is one of the things that made it really good. Yeah, but she got over it when it did the numbers.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was so cool to hear the other side kind of how everything's made and the you know, the executives behind it.
Speaker 1: And yes, that was one of my favorite interviews we've ever done.
Speaker 3: And Michael, he was so invested, and to think of how many of the dcms were happening at once.
Speaker 2: He was just so awesome in such a great presence.
Speaker 3: He'd come on set multiple times to going to shoot, check out things. He always felt very supportive of us as actors, and he was just such a great guy.
Speaker 2: You could really just chat.
Speaker 3: And then of course it was always cool to go what else are you guys going on?
Speaker 2: You know what else is happening in the channel?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Give us the scoop?
Speaker 3: So he wasn't amazing. It was so good to see him. I haven't seen him for so long, so I.
Speaker 4: Loved getting it was a great interview. Please check it out and check out Rap Patrol or don't again, this is America. You can do whatever you want. But it was a fun movie. It was a great little snippet of some cool eighties stuff at his It was like an eighties rop but really that man brought me right back to my childhood.
Speaker 2: So yes, it was so fun.
Speaker 1: It really was check.
Speaker 2: Adventurous and hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's you know, let's get wet.
Speaker 4: Our next movie is a two thousand and eight time travel flick called Minute Men, which is available to watch right now on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: So go and check that out. Remember to grib to our.
Speaker 4: Feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye everybody, Bye,