Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this special episode of.
Speaker 2: Dirt Ally's Guist.
Speaker 1: This is going to be the OOPS All Overrated, Underrated and Search History series, featuring some of our favorite guests giving some of our favorite opinions from the past few months. We'll be checking in with these sporadically, just mostly silly episodes, full of the treat part of the episode, the not about the news part of the episode, and yeah, we hope you enjoy them. All filler no killer, I guess you could say. And if you have a favorite overrated underrated from the long history of the show, my memory doesn't work that well. But if you have one from a long time ago, let us know in the discorder and the comments and maybe we can do an all time OOPS all over under Search History. Anyways, without they're ado here, they are Oops, All Overrated, Underrated and Search History.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: What is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: Okay, this morning it was like big news and my circle of friends that the Legends of Held movie that we're finally getting to our first looks. Oh, I'm a big zelder nerd. I played all those games to death. It's the only game I could really play I'm a big dungeon freak. And yeah, me and my circle of friends, we love that ship. And so yeah, there's like the first Freak.
Speaker 1: It sounds so much nast year than what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my whole vocabulary.
Speaker 3: When I say D and D, people are really going to be looking for my name in the files.
Speaker 1: Okay, so first looks, I'm looking at something that looks like the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings. Yeah, it's pretty much it. Yeah right, well, pretty exciting. So ships that is like the Hollywood's promised to New Zealand that we will boost your tourism industry once once every decade. It feels like what we're seeing here.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: It's live action, you know, that's that'll be interesting. They said, oh wow, they're describing it. Wes the director said they're aiming for something quote akin to a live action Miyazaki, which.
Speaker 2: I'm okay, there's a lot of opportunities.
Speaker 4: Yeahazaki, no, but you know the vibrations we're gonna copy.
Speaker 3: I think I used to hate like video game adaptations, and then I saw that movie Uncharted with Tom Holland and I was actually just this feels like a meal, like this feels like a whole meal. I really enjoyed that one.
Speaker 2: Are you one of like Super Mario and stuff?
Speaker 4: I was like, eh, well, yeah, I mean I get like the animated version, they're just trying to keep it like to very video gaming kind of stuff because it wasn't the John Liguizamo Bob Hoskins live action Mario Brothers we got in the nineties.
Speaker 2: But so good are the fans? How are they?
Speaker 4: Because obviously, I mean I feel like Nintendo fans are less toxic than like console or PC gaming fans are the Are there are people enthusiastic about this casting?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Pretty.
Speaker 3: I think they didn't want it to be like some big name celebrity where they were going to just try to force.
Speaker 2: It like they did.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because they continuously do. How are they going to get Chris Pratt to do the voice though? Is he just overdubbing them like in vo afterwards? All Right, I'm gonna give you those directors me and then I'm gonna give you the directors filmography, and you're gonna do a bit of a Brittany Brosky face miles where it's like, all right, yes, the kombucha face. So he is best known for directing the Maze Runner film trilogy, but then he made the Fourth Kingdom of the Planet fifth or fourth Planet of the Apes reboot Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, which I've heard is like interesting at least, And sorry, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Don't look, bro, I don't do whatever the fuck you're gonna do. You never know, because I know directing movies is you might make a whole bunch of.
Speaker 2: Shitty ones and then suddenly make a good one.
Speaker 4: So off of this and Aiman's excitement, I'm gonna go ahead and I'm gonna say really positive about this.
Speaker 2: I do really like posit. I do like the no name performers.
Speaker 3: So it's a perfect pairing, man, if you think about it. Because all the monsters in Zelda are like non humanoid, they're like pig ape right thing creatures, and so it actually kind of makes sense.
Speaker 2: That actually makes me more excited. They hate the I'm just.
Speaker 4: Waiting for when they're gonna because I know right now they say this woman Bo Bragison is playing Zelda. But I know, but they're gonna put Sidney Sweeney in that world eventually ran god, yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know what, you know, what else it is.
Speaker 3: I haven't been excited about anything, uh like in movies for so long, and so I'm just really allowing myself kind of forcing myself to be really excited about this one.
Speaker 2: I love that. May it not be a disappointment. Made it the last really hyped over a movie.
Speaker 1: I was pretty psyched about one battle after another.
Speaker 2: I was really psyched over weapons, and I never saw it.
Speaker 1: You weapons, you don't see weapons, I know.
Speaker 5: I was just like, I remember seeing the trailer.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yo, this ship fucking goes and then cut to like, you know, life lifing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Also, it seems like it's aimed at theaters, right, Like there's gonna be a theatrical release. They're not just gonna be like now on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: No no, no, okay, that's good. That's good. No, no, no, I think I heard I was really.
Speaker 1: Excited about the uh miss Piggy movie. Then I think I heard that it's going to be a streaming thing, which is crazy, like you need to put that on on theater.
Speaker 4: That's fine because I just showed my kid them upp It's Christmas, Carol. He's fucking love fun he normally doesn't like seeing like live action ship he likes animated shit.
Speaker 2: He was feeling nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is this going to be like a live action Miss Piggy live action Miss Piggy. Yeah, I haven't even heard about this. Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence and Miss Piggy.
Speaker 1: This might be relevant to one of our upcoming Icon episodes, so stay tuned for those.
Speaker 2: Amma Stones.
Speaker 1: I get you, Mike, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: Uh? So under I know that I saw, I remember that this question was going to be coming.
Speaker 2: Uh. I have a few answers.
Speaker 5: My first answer is a thing that I love that I feel like it's so interesting to talk about things as overrated and underrated when I feel like all of these things are relative where you know, especially today, when your algorithm will you know, propagate and perpetuate the things that you like or that maybe you don't even know that you are clicking on and engaging with. And you say to somebody like why why is my computer? Why does my phone keep showing me this? It's like, well, because of you, you know, you have revealed something about yourself and there's less of a monoculture today. So like I mean one answer that I would say for myself personally, I love advice columns, and I think that most people don't think about, or care about, or read or engage with advice columns or podcasts as much as I do. We're out there. I'm not the only one. I'm not innovating it. But I think, based on my tastes, I love advice columns and would love to and think that they are thus because of that underrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're definitely having a resurgence of the podcast space, like it is a type like a format that has been coming back, I think because it's a way to engage with other people that isn't the news, you know, like which people are just like, ah, I want to hear about like messy drama that like isn't about the fact that the world is dying. And so yeah, let me hear about the politics of your workplace.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And oh absolutely, And there's some that are so specific like specifically with the politics of workplace, Like there's a podcast I think she used to have a podcast, but definitely has a column, Alison Green, and her column is called ask a Manager, And like, I'm not even I don't work in a quote unquote workplace. You know, I don't have HR. I don't have you know, a boss and a grand boss. And yet ultimately, at the root, all of these questions are like, you know, questions about guidelines of how to live as a human being, how to get along with other people, Like there's you know, relationships. It's all very human and relatable, even if the question is like, you know, my boss did this specific thing. Shouldn't I get paid more for, like I know, one of the questions we address later. Oh, also, just real quick, do you think that I know, we're going to get into this later. Do you think that Jeff Bezos is following the target model of like, hey, everyone, when I come out surrounded by lightsabers, smile if you're within one million miles of me, smile.
Speaker 1: Or is he like look scared before me? Because the way, like everything I've heard about Amazon, like being an Amazon executive, is that people are openly crying in their offices, like because of how like brutal it is to work there, like at the high level, not just like on the you know, factory floors. So I wonder if he has like a different kink where he's like better not smile.
Speaker 2: That is which side. I bet he makes no rules.
Speaker 6: It's just like everyone who doesn't do what he already wants is get gets a little fired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people get fired so quick at Amazon.
Speaker 5: A little fired, that's but yes, it felts. Yeah, I mean, I just think that we all, you know, in life, at various points, are trying to figure out what to do in you know, in general or in specific situations. You know, some of us have friends that we go to. Some of us, you know, might look to various community enterprises you're a part of, be it you know, a religious affiliation, or you know, just your your group text or what have you. And yeah, I think and I'm not saying that I get all of my how I live my life from advice counts. I just I do love. There's some element also of sometimes a person writing in is the unbeknownst to them villain of the story, you know, the the am I the asshole, without realizing that they might in fact be the asshole. And sometimes to see you know, a person who is the wronging party, the more harmful person in a situation complaining, you know, the one percent being like, hey, the ninety nine percent has taken one percent of my one percent, you know, in my mind, like what what can I do about this? And to see you know, come up and delivered or just you know, a deliver it's just yeah, it's there, can be, it could be. I have to be careful because I don't want to just slide down into a realm of judgment. Because I want everyone to live their their best, happiest, most productive, you know, most peaceful, healthy life. And you know, sometimes for me that involves a little bit of schadenfreude, but I'm much more. I'm much more into freuden freude, which is taking joy in other people's joy, which is I like to see when people figure out what to do and learn and improve and atone and make amends. So yeah, advice columns, like you don't all you don't have to be into them. But I I'm not advising anyone, but I advise myself to continue enjoying advice columns. The underrated answer to your question.
Speaker 6: And that's like the best advice columns do. It's not the specific advice, right, it's like the train of thought. I feel like the best advice columnists can even just get to the point where, like.
Speaker 2: I might be wrong but right and then.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, I mean my I feel like the for many people like the og advice columnists or Dear Abby and Ann Landers and so certainly I did read them growing up, but at a certain point, I feel like there's so many people occupying the space. Like Dan Savage was my first like advice columnist who I loved reading as like I think I found him in college and so I've been reading him for you know, two and a half decades and listening to his podcast. And he brings on experts when the question. If the question is about something relating to drag, he'll bring on, you know, a drag performer. If it's about trans rights, he will bring on a trans guest. If it's about you know, racial issues, I don't know, like Andrew, have you been on the show, but I feel like, you know, he'll bring on people who have expertise in a thing. If it's like he's like, I'm a white person, I'm a man. This is a question about, you know, not my lane. I'm gonna bring somebody in whose lane.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 5: So and there's just some people who have expertise and like are really like adults in that they've put in the time and work and effort, and so it's a really it's a really cool thing. And then every once in a while, like there will be obviously sometimes the advice will apply. Like I remember, I don't remember who the guest was, but I was listening to the Dear Prudence podcast several years ago, and this is I've seen this other places other times, but they offered this idea, which is just never compare your insides to someone else's outsides. If you know, if you're looking at somebody's social media feed and be like, wow, why are they why is everyone happy except for me? Well, because you're looking at the photos that they took one thousand shots to get the right one, and you're comparing it to your like you don't know every time they were like, damn it didn't get that one. Damn it didn't get that one.
Speaker 1: Just standing there, smile on their face, going checking the things, stone faced, going back, smile on their face, going back, checking their stone face.
Speaker 5: They're doing the target thing to themselves. They're like, okay, smile, we're in four feet of this phone. Smile, you can do it. Let's get it. But yeah, we know, we know our cockpit you know, we see every dial and lever and button and you know, emergency light. But for everyone else, it's just the outside of the plane or like that plane looks like it knows what it's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a fighter jet. Look at that thing.
Speaker 5: Wow, I'm a lover, not a fighter jet.
Speaker 6: But you know, also alternately, if you're a jet, if you're a listen you're probably not listening to this if you're this kind of person. But if you have the exact opposite personality as Mike, you can also find advice columns that just tell.
Speaker 2: You women are the problems for all your problems. That is also available, also available.
Speaker 5: It is an art form like many others, like I'm a stand up comedian, and stand up comedy is not a monolith. Obviously, you can find people, you know, there's obviously the alt right comedy verse, which is, uh, you know, who's the force is strong with them these days, you know, the the Darth Sith Lords of comedy and h But then there's also of course you're you're Maria Bamford's and a partner, Don Surla's and Tig Nataro's and Sarah Silverman's, you know, the the kindness, bosses of comedy, you know, the the self reflective, you know, discussing their own mental health and how we can all sincerely, I mean humorously, like hilariously address things, you know, from the inside. The people who are worried about having imposter syndrome who shouldn't have that where versus the people who don't have that worry who could stand to wonder if they have it?
Speaker 2: Possibly?
Speaker 5: But yes, and advice columnists are I'm sure no different, certainly there if you want, I bet there are some alt right podcast advice columns out there as well. I myself have not stumbled across them yet.
Speaker 6: You know, the thing that needs to be like distributed more than even money, I feel is self doubt.
Speaker 2: We just need.
Speaker 6: If we had an even distribution of self doubt in the world, it would be everything social so much better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, there's this there's this absolutely there's this thing that I love from the Talmud, which is, you know, collection of Jewish teachings and wisdom and what rabbis said about what other rabbis said. And there's this one thing in it where or a rabbi says, I have a piece of paper in my pocket, that says this world was created for you. And I have a piece of paper in my other pocket that says you are nothing but ash and dust, and so this world was created for you. You're nothing but ash and dust. Those are both true, valuable things to remember, like if your head gets too big, remember you're also in the grandest scheme of the universe. You're You're not the center of it. You're not everything. There are other people, there are other beings, like there is a whole world, you know, an infinity of universe that you were not a part of until you were born and won't be a part of for another billions of years. You are. If you think you're everything, maybe consider that you might be also a little bit closer to nothing. Whereas if you grow up and have the messages given you you are nothing. You are not worthwhile to be Like, well, this world was created for you. You are the center of your own conscious experience. You deserve to be heard if you like you know, I don't mean to not to make this only about gender, but certainly people in our society socialized as women girls female people in our society, you know, the the the ideas like oh, you know, you're you're rewarded for being quiet, for acquiescing, for going along, for listening, for not taking up too much space, whereas you know, little boys and men and boys to men of course, are are like, yes, exactly, not boys to men. But you know, the especially and it's not only I'm sure it's every privileged group. It's not just men. It's also white people. It's also straight people, it's also able bodied people, it's also cis gender people. You know, when you are the majority or the salient appearance in society, like for myself, I am many of those things.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 5: You know, I am straight, cis white, able bodied, you know, an American citizen from birth. You know, I have many privileges that I wasn't aware of until I started learning about them. And so for me, I was given growing up by my family and society. The thumb really pressed down hard on the side of the scale that said this world was created for you. And so when I started doing comedy and being an adult and meeting different people and who had different perspectives, I was like, oh, listening to other people also valuable for its own sake to have other people be heard and also learn more myself about experiences that are not my own. And so yeah, if you're if you have started your life somewhere, or if you're at a point in your life where you are like not hurt as much, then it feels it's important for you to learn to hopefully advocate for yourself and speak up and find people who affirm you and value you and and support and endorse and celebrate. But for you know, for I'm I'm a man, and there's a lot of us out there who could stand to learn the lesson. And not again, not just men and not all men, but yeah, the self. If you've never self doubted, consider self doubt, try it, try it, try it.
Speaker 2: You'll like it. Maybe it's Super Bowl commercial for slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got Jesus one from the past two years. What about maybe some self doubt? What is What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 7: Cereal? As you could tell, I have cereals on the brain.
Speaker 8: I'm so excited by cereal, you guys, like, right now, let me tell you about the one I'm most excited about.
Speaker 7: Right now, there is a new cereal. Kellogg's is doing a promotion. Oh my god, they be dropping new cereals every day every week.
Speaker 2: This is huge.
Speaker 7: This is big.
Speaker 1: This is big because like, yeah, we hadn't had a new candy that really like made a huge indent, and then everybody's like, oh good, nerds, gummy clusters are actually the best thing, and they were not wrong.
Speaker 2: Nerds, gummy clusters are sucking.
Speaker 8: They actually are the best new candy. Gun clusters. They really went hard on that one.
Speaker 1: But I haven't paid attention to the newest innovations in the cereal game.
Speaker 8: Okay, so this one I'm super excited about. I'm almost like sad to open the gates on this ceial. I'm trying to gate keep there is collab.
Speaker 2: Before anybody else.
Speaker 8: There's a collab with Kelloggs and Stranger Things, and they're.
Speaker 7: No collab collab.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I said collab lab, Yeah, I said yeah, okay, yeah yeah. They released a cereal called google It dema gorgon crunch dem.
Speaker 9: I just can't is it like it does it taste like way older than it should be?
Speaker 7: You have to eat it upside down?
Speaker 9: No, God, all the things we didn't need. I know you're about it a strange collab.
Speaker 5: Sorry, no, I love it.
Speaker 8: I Well, this is how they distracted, This is how capitalism gets us. They're like no health care but.
Speaker 2: Crunch.
Speaker 7: It is so goofy. If you google the box, it literally has the Dema Gorgon creature posing on it as if he's a Cereal mascot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like smiling, its smiling funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, I kind of do need this.
Speaker 7: This is you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So Honeycombs and Lucky Charms is that basically the most.
Speaker 7: I think they're ego. They ego. They used to make little eggo.
Speaker 8: Cereals like little They're like waffuy syrupy tasting, and they have stranger thing marshmallows inside.
Speaker 10: I think it does remind me of like a simpler time from my childhood when that cereal was like there was like weenies crossed like with the Olympians, you know, like it was a bigger deal to have these cereal boxes to be something special.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, the design is definitely doing that. Like the cereal looks old like, it looks.
Speaker 8: Like absolutely they're leaning into that sort of retro thing that stranger things does.
Speaker 10: They're having fun and crunches for kids.
Speaker 7: It's also funny to me that this beast that is killed.
Speaker 8: I haven't followed all those stranger things but killed people, like so many children, right.
Speaker 9: I want some, get some dem drinks.
Speaker 8: The blot of children is now being like, come on, Gorgon, give us Marshals.
Speaker 9: We're gonna have like the clown from it.
Speaker 2: It cross over with Captain Crunch.
Speaker 7: It's it's deeply absurd and I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: Is it good? You've had it?
Speaker 5: I haven't had it yet.
Speaker 7: I just bought it yesterday and I had to go hunting for it.
Speaker 2: I'm sick.
Speaker 8: I hunt for like cereal forums or something. Yes, I follow a couple of the Cereal blogs. There's one called serial Lesslie. There's a couple are well done, very well done? What is your favorite classic Cereal?
Speaker 7: Favorite? Classic? Do you? If you? I hope? Are you going to count this as okay? Classic?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Class anything that's no, no, no, I'm gonna go classic.
Speaker 1: Dem Gorgon crunch before that.
Speaker 7: Cinnamon toast crunch.
Speaker 11: Good.
Speaker 8: They really figured it out with that one. But there's a couple I love in it.
Speaker 1: But you know it's I thought that that was like the most sugar that I could pack it into a spoonful of cereal. And then I had Raisin Brand crunch crunch is so sweet and like just right exactly like it is it, you know the best sweet and cereal is like sort of border somewhere between like food and dessert and like this one, just like blew through that wall.
Speaker 9: I was obsessed with Reese's Puffs.
Speaker 2: Delicious.
Speaker 8: It becomes once you put milk on it, it becomes a cake.
Speaker 9: Is so good cut it opens open the whole time, the whole time.
Speaker 10: We don't have cereal culture anymore. We don't have like Saturday Morning cartoons. We can't male eat in from the cereal box. We don't do the puzzles on the back. I used to read the cereal boxes.
Speaker 7: It's the best thing to read.
Speaker 12: I'm such a boomerties.
Speaker 1: And the content has gotten worse. It's boring to give them bad ideas or anything.
Speaker 9: Just like like the trivia and stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, there's got to be a crossword.
Speaker 7: Must be a crossword.
Speaker 8: You's got to be find all the blanks, like find all the apples or whatever.
Speaker 7: You've got to have some hidden images. That should be a law.
Speaker 1: That should absolutely like there, yeah, we should be governing the content on the back of cereals.
Speaker 7: Amaze. We need amaze, like come on.
Speaker 9: Fuck the adequacy of our meats? What's going on with the cereal boxes?
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 7: I will let go of healthcare If the back of cereal boxes are great, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Were you referencing Elon Musk when you're talking about adequacy of the meat? Bionic?
Speaker 9: Let me see what that demo gorgon.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break, we'll come back. We'll do overrated and get into the news.
Speaker 2: What is uh? What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 6: Shoot?
Speaker 1: I always forget my overrated.
Speaker 2: Take your time, take your time, like.
Speaker 5: Look down to see like did I write it down?
Speaker 13: And I.
Speaker 2: Not having written down here somewhere this is a receipt.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, I got it.
Speaker 14: Okay, my overrated is I'm a little late, squid games.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm a little late.
Speaker 1: I think we can all you know, You're not late, You're right on time to take a step back and re evaluate it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's just okay, listen, it's never late because it's Netflix.
Speaker 2: Okay, just showed.
Speaker 14: Up on my cue and I went on this rant. I didn't know that I had last night my husband where I just was like.
Speaker 15: How can you as a nation connect with a film like Squid Games m so deeply right and then just move on live your life.
Speaker 14: Like like after Squid Games came out, that should have been the warning about trump Ism.
Speaker 2: I love that we're putting an ass on the end of Squid Game. Yeah, I was gonna say from you hanging out with Jack's dad a lot, Yeah, my dad. My dad would always called Brad Pit Brad Pitts.
Speaker 4: Squids game, you know, squids Games, squid Game.
Speaker 14: I'm basically a Percian.
Speaker 4: Oh you mean, just sort of like yeah, because it was the thing. It's the biggest Netflix show. Everyone's like, damn, that's hitting on some ship. And then it's like, all right, back to the mines.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: They would rather I then not be able to pay for health care. That's crazy.
Speaker 14: I just yeah, completely connect with this film.
Speaker 1: And Yeah, anyway, they.
Speaker 2: Did a great job then co opting it and turning into a reality competition show. Now that I am on time for there you go. I did watch season two of Squid Games, the show, the competition show, Like.
Speaker 15: I just think we should pay more attention.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it's like one. I don't know, I feel like, you know, I totally get that. I guess my hope of it is if we stack up enough of these pieces of media that just incrementally are raising people's class consciousness, it will get it will reach a tipping point, like a match tipping point where people who because I feel like there are a ton of people who had never thought about this ship and saw a squid game like yo, oh interesting.
Speaker 16: Isn't that like kind of like here in a way and you're like, okay, go on where where they're just like, yo, it's fucked up and it's Korea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Korean fucked up. Dude. I don't know if I want to go.
Speaker 7: There now, you know that's fair.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I do the bubble.
Speaker 4: Right right, right, But no, I totally get though too of like we have so many moments we're like, yeah, come on, baby, come on, y'all, let's do we see it now, right, we're all seeing it, And it's not enough time.
Speaker 16: I mean, we're so far back.
Speaker 14: Like I maybe my overrated should have been that question of like will there be a civil war in the United States? I just want to be like, have you been around in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you're tying he has his.
Speaker 11: Own military, Yeah, sure, sure, sure, yeah, I didn't realize like that this is the thing that happens where like I usually quit on TV shows pretty early, and so I stopped after the first season of Squid Games.
Speaker 1: I just was like, I think I know where this is going, and it feels like they're just like drawing it out, and like I didn't think that they really stuck the landing on the ending of the first season that she was like getting more popular, Like the season three debut was like broke all the all the season three already its season three, the third and final season, and it broke all the records. I'm just fine with that first season.
Speaker 12: I am ahead of the curve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what in that way, we lut you absolutely that was in July, but you know, like we got a lot on our plates right now, you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I do wonder like how much of it is people being like, we get what's going on here, Like what an interesting way to depict the brutality of everyday life under neoliberalism. And then how many people were just like I like reality TV competitions, Yeah, wait.
Speaker 2: Till we yield them like in the movie. No, they don't kill them like in the movie. Ye just emotionally, it's just little paintballs that go off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish they'd shoot him in the chest.
Speaker 1: We do love a reality show where the contestants get killed. That's that's always been a very very popular thing with why what's another one?
Speaker 2: I'll watch out that running man? Oh oh, you mean like just the idea of like the idea of wo.
Speaker 14: Okay, here's my I'll watch the ship out of that. I'm fine with that. But afterwards, I'm gonna behind some goddamn legislation. I'm gonna right not gonna sit on my ass.
Speaker 4: Well not not while you have people like ao AOC saying we shouldn't primary Hakeem Jeffries.
Speaker 7: He's with.
Speaker 4: I don't know about the city council guy trying to run for him. Like you look, I get it. You're trying to ascend in the Democratic Party and you're not trying.
Speaker 2: But like, but like.
Speaker 14: She's ascending, she's descending, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's like a Dolly zoom in a movie where it's are they assuming in or pulling out?
Speaker 2: I can't hell the background certainly moving either way.
Speaker 1: The effect is unnerving. What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 18: A fancy lip bomb. Just slather vaseline on there. Man, It's so cheap, yeah, and it works so good. I have experimented with a lot of lip bombs because uh it's uh, I get dry lips in the winter, and I you know, kind of bought into the hype of like doing lip scrubs and lip.
Speaker 12: Masks and all these sorts of things.
Speaker 18: Like, man, have you ever just tried to like put a bunch of weird Like I don't know. It's like they have things where it's like a silicone thing where you slap that on your lips and it like has some like grease on it.
Speaker 12: That's supposed to be it's like a it's a lip.
Speaker 2: Mask, right, like a sticker that you put on your lip.
Speaker 18: It's not a sticker. It's like it's like a it's like a silicone thing. And then it's like but it's wet. It comes into the package where it's like moisten with serrus a material that you like liquid. It's sort of soaked in a liquid and it kind of like, you know, you flat, it's like a blown it's kind of like the consistency of bolooney or it's like you know, like when Blooney's in the package and it's a little wet.
Speaker 12: Why is baloney wet? Or why the lip thing?
Speaker 2: Why? No?
Speaker 1: Why why is blooney way?
Speaker 2: It actually has to cover in the Icons episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's got a like bacterial like the liquid that they put on cold cuts is crazy, like it's like the primori. Yeah, it's like a spray of bacteria that fights off like bad bacteria. You're just like, it's like wet with bacteria. It's kind of gross. It's the thing that they kind of write out of. That's another so we're not grossed up.
Speaker 18: That's another thing that if like your if your meat is sort of glistening like a unicorn shimmer, like a rainbow shimmer on your meat, that's not usually a good thing.
Speaker 2: It's like a gasoline rainbow.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's usually bacterial, I teach you.
Speaker 2: I looked at that one.
Speaker 4: I was like I had a piece of like roast beef that looked like that and that like iridescent thing, and it's it's it's called diffraction.
Speaker 2: That doesn't seem good, Miles.
Speaker 4: It's I don't know, it's just no, it's like the way it's cut, it just creates these grooves that reflect light differently. It wasn't because I was like, this shit's fucked, isn't it. It's fucked, it's fucked, and they're like, no, no, no, it's really it's okay, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 12: Well I think for roast beef it is.
Speaker 18: But I think for like like cold cuts, where you it's like a uniform texture. I'm not is that always the case where if it's like shiny and glittery.
Speaker 1: I feel like roast beef it's like it gets a green sheen, turkey gets a blue shiny thing on. It just gross to me.
Speaker 4: Maybe the what I will say is don't take food safety advice from me. I get food poison at least three times a week, so I know if I have my point about diffraction.
Speaker 18: Yeah, if your fish is by illuminescing, I know that means you should probably not good.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If your fish is by aluminescence, it might be diffraction.
Speaker 2: You should have just gone into that.
Speaker 1: But okay, So lip mask similar to like I've talked before about how my wife will put on these Korean face masks and without warrant, she doesn't warn me, and then I just come into our bedroom and she's sitting there and they're very scared, like they look like the face mask. They look like the face mask from Strangers, the Strangers, you know, just like blank. Oh, because you're just a mouth version of that.
Speaker 2: You just got like a little.
Speaker 18: It's the I've only used it a couple of times because it's not look at anything, doesn't do anything, but it's like.
Speaker 12: It's like a pair of larger pair of lips.
Speaker 2: That's fun, you know.
Speaker 12: Like the wax lips like anymore. It's kind of like that, So it's a little funny.
Speaker 1: I used to do that all the time with bologny when I was a kid, turn my bologney into lips like this kind of they do a little lip thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, now you know what you would look like if you were a cartoon character exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So yeah, don't work. Vacilline works really well. That's super cheap.
Speaker 1: And you can get it in like a little squeeze tube. You don't have to carry the big honey pot of vasiline around like money.
Speaker 18: And used to it is fun though, to get the gig that has like.
Speaker 2: A penny in there and I.
Speaker 18: Gotta loop up my lips now just dip a hand in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 17: You know, they say romance is dead, you guys, and I.
Speaker 19: Agree because what is underrated is the thing that no one's doing anymore, which is where when men would very romantically kiss women from like their hands all the way up to their biceps and back down. They don't like that anymore, No, consensually, we need to bring that back.
Speaker 17: You think the girls don't like it, I think they're. I think they're they're like, where did that go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You're talking pep style.
Speaker 4: Yeah you're talking Gomez Adams, Yeah, talking about peak Raoul Julia?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Yeah, is there anything more romantic.
Speaker 4: Rather than Yeah, you're just like, I'm just gonna kiss closer to the thing I ultimately want.
Speaker 2: Is that cool?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say you start down here? Yeah? Man, so many smooth smooches. That guy was average and an average.
Speaker 2: Dang bro. I just realized, I'm gonna have to tell her, majesty, we got we got work to do. I'm good loving you the right way, loving you. Yeah, I think I think you're right about that.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's a good, you know, a good move that I'm gonna try.
Speaker 19: I mean, yeah, you give me a little Yeah, when your when your love life really explained?
Speaker 2: She did like I got chapstick.
Speaker 19: Yeah, she's gonna at first she's gonna be like what, I hate this, and then it's she's the animal less between you will be undeniable.
Speaker 2: Undeniable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually big messy swirls of vasline around my mouth because I've got real dry lips.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to I want ever to be pleasant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bridger, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 13: What I was thinking about was buying rocks. I don't know if you've ever had to buy rocks, but recently I had to buy some rocks and the experience was incredible. It was so every element of it was so uh not what I expected. I had to go to like a landscape supply center and it felt so far removed from La. The two people just knew about landscape like they knew about rocks and dirt they didn't. And then I bought a pound of seventy five pounds of rocks. It costs twenty dollars. Wow, I mean I would have assumed that's like one hundred and fifty dollars. Seventy five pounds of anything for twenty dollars is an amazing deal. So it just felt great to be like walking away with this thing I could barely carry, and I had spent twenty dollars on it, and they knew, you know, they knew about every type of rocks.
Speaker 2: It was just very s rock though, what are we talking about?
Speaker 13: These were well, of course I got the absolute just cheapest rocks, but I had to buy some. I was looking for white rocks because our dog has been eating all of the dirt in our house plants, so I was like to cover it with rocks. But they didn't have entirely. So they're kind of like a beige, sandy colored rock that are each about the size of a large potato. Okay, right right, because I couldn't. We didn't want rocks that she could swallow, yeah yeah, yeah, or even take up in her mouth. So as plain ass rocks, doe w you ever?
Speaker 6: Like, I walk around and just like that's like the border right there, right, money, there's pretty money.
Speaker 2: Sitting around here.
Speaker 13: I finally found my way out of the show biz business. Yeah, no, I really I would recommend buying rocks. Yeah, it's very nice. You find a nice local landscape store and go buy yourself some rocks there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seventy five dollars. There's seventy five pounds for twenty five bucks.
Speaker 7: Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: I can't? That means wrong to me?
Speaker 13: I know, I felt I was like, well, this doesn't add up in any way. They could have charged me whatever they wanted, right.
Speaker 1: I feel like that at that point, you're almost like paying people to just like take them out of there.
Speaker 2: So heavy. Could you like just get this out of here.
Speaker 1: We'll give you a half off, just like please get these wrong movies out of our rock store.
Speaker 2: Or like a gym situation. Yeah, did I ever tell you guys about.
Speaker 6: My when I lived in Brooklyn, like many many, many years ago. My idea for a gym, which is just a warehouse with a huge, huge, like forty foot tall pile of sand in the middle of it, and for fifty dollars a month, you could climb the pile and for fifty dollars, or for fifty dollars a month you could punch the pile, and for seventy five you could climb or punch it. And that's the only rule.
Speaker 13: Was there any what about like moving the sand into a different hill of sand.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're talking about a different level as member there, that's really yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to go.
Speaker 1: To the help build the second pile now you're talking about.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to build a gym that was an enormous pile of sand in a Brooklyn warehouse, which.
Speaker 2: I guess doesn't really exist here.
Speaker 6: The most difficult thing to attain about that now would be the Brooklyn warehouse.
Speaker 2: That your sand, right, that's right. You got to move elsewhere man Harlem warehouse. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll get into some news. We'll be right back. What is something you say is overrated?
Speaker 20: Family vacations are overrated? This is obviously we're coming off of the holidays when happened went to Sedona, which is also overrated.
Speaker 21: Sorry but.
Speaker 1: It's but as an energy of vortex, but.
Speaker 21: Vortex. Here's the problem with Sedona.
Speaker 20: And I apologize to everyone who's in Arizona, but the fact that you and Sedona are in Arizona is probably the first problem because this is like it's a total desecration.
Speaker 21: There's like hotels.
Speaker 20: And you know, condos, being built right up into Sedona, and it was like, Okay, if this were in California, I'm like, Gavin would at least have this be protected territory. We wouldn't be able to, you know, be right here anyway. That's not what I'm I just feel like vacations with fan family. Like I was with my eighty year old mom and she was like, your kid is loud, and I'm like, yeah, she's three, she's a toddler.
Speaker 21: You know, Like why is she so loud.
Speaker 20: I just feel like I've gone on vacations with friends and you're so much more polite to your friends. You're so much more sort of understanding to your friends. You you know, you just kind of like you don't grill them about their life choices the way your family does. And I feel like that's underrated or overrated as family vacations and underrated are you know.
Speaker 21: Being with friends the family you choose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's actually the theme of I've actually noticed that. That's the theme of my favorite series of films, the Avengers movies, that really you can have found family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and Furious too.
Speaker 20: You have to have like a special yeah, you have a special power, right, right.
Speaker 2: At least that I mean, like I get that too.
Speaker 4: It is like because any interaction with your family, it's usually at least with my Asian family, it's there's no like talking like you're always just gonna get dragged.
Speaker 2: On some level. Is just how you talk and that's like normal.
Speaker 4: Ye, Well, how come we haven't done this? I'm like, didn't you say you're gonna work out? Wasn't that a thing you were gonna say? You don't look like it. I'm like, well, you know, a lot's happened. They're like, is your son okay? He seems skinny? I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: You what?
Speaker 7: It's fine?
Speaker 20: Yeah, there is no normal, like we can't just talk about a book or a movie or a show or like any normal ass conversation or you know in oh god, yeah, it's it's a it's bad.
Speaker 21: It's always like if you weren't doing what you're doing, now, what would you do?
Speaker 2: Do you think you could have made some better decisions?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 21: And it's like, first of all, there are no jobs. Can I just say that, mom? And also I'm doing pretty good?
Speaker 2: Are you? Yeah?
Speaker 18: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: I try to bring a family vacation energy to a friend vacation asking questions about their their five year plant. Yeah, that's interesting. I feel like you have less hair than when I saw you last night.
Speaker 2: Another thing said, street, why don't call me more?
Speaker 21: Yeah, exactly, friend, zon't do that. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right? Great?
Speaker 1: Overrated, underrated Francesca Sedona caught some strays despite being one of our one of our finest energy war I was there for like a day, and I just remember, like so many people talking about it being an energy vortext.
Speaker 2: This was a long time ago. Maybe they've moved on.
Speaker 20: It's a big Salem witch trial. Everyone's convinced there is energy vartex so someone sort of like suspect. You know, we're all, yes, there's energy here.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 21: It's kind of like a mass illusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like it.
Speaker 21: Also very sacred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I've seen the plans for the latest Western that they're building into the side of that adobe.
Speaker 21: Absolutely, absolutely, the ancient sea cave.
Speaker 2: What are some of you thinks overrated?
Speaker 22: Okay, so frivolous, leading to like an honest moral compass, point half billion dollar movies are overrated. I nobody's living that. We're almost there listen. I tried to watch the New Mission Impossible, and it was very difficult to watch.
Speaker 1: It's a challenging film, Kaitlyn is a challenging film, and I'm glad you brought that up.
Speaker 22: Deeply challenging to sit through, and the it is just my opinion. If you love these, I'm not coming for you. But when I looked up most expensive films, all of them are tortuous to me. It is a long list of like the New Jurassic Parks and the Avengers, and they just they've all slipped up. They've lost something. You've lost something, and having too much is sometimes so the heartfelt overrated thing is being super rich sucks. Having enough money is awesome. Right again forty four it finally happened to me. I can drive that SUPERU. I do own a home? Is it a manufactured home? In twenty nine palms. I don't want to talk about it. But I have enough money and that is beautiful. Being super rich seems horrible and latent. You have to make a series a cascade of awful decisions, one worse than the next, and nobody edits you. So you movies. I led to life, as is so often the case, too much is a bad thing. You can spend too much money on your movie and it is awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you start getting studio notes when you get too rich, you start you got a lot of studio notes coming in.
Speaker 12: I feel like.
Speaker 22: Everyone's note got into Mission Impossible. I feel like every single post it that anyone took an idea down on is physically manifested into the film.
Speaker 23: Just not.
Speaker 21: They scrapt nothing, they edited nothing.
Speaker 22: I looked it up and Broke Back Mountain made the same amount of money in cash dollars as cost fourteen million to make, made something like close to one hundred and seventy million. Mission Impossible cost roughly four hundred million dollars to make, made something like five hundred and ninety eight million. So is it insane that it made that much money. It's like it had to. The stakes were so high of what it had to make back, and it did. But you could have made like twenty eight broke Back Mountains. It's Broke Back Mountain for everyone. Absolutely not. If you made twenty eight films with fourteen million dollars, would there be one that everybody enjoys.
Speaker 21: That is actually good?
Speaker 17: Probably?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 20: Right?
Speaker 22: Yeah, just in trying to please everyone. They pleased me not at all. Yeah, So if you enjoy these films, I'm really happy for you.
Speaker 17: I think one enjoying them.
Speaker 22: I don't have to be right about this, but I do feel like the more expensive the movie is, the more likely I am to drift away and start imdbing and wikipediing daring it.
Speaker 4: It's it's I think that's spot on though, because also I don't know anyone who like earnestly rides for the Mission Impossible franchise. I watch them all out of habit or like me, I'm like, if I'm on an airplane, sure, sure exactly. At the last three or actually four Mission Possible films have only been seen on a plane for me, because I'm like, I can't I'm not going to the theater to see this anymore.
Speaker 1: But I think what it was making this point about those movies, I might have been on the Hollywood Handbook podcast. What they were saying that, like they can't remember which of the movies they've seen. Yeah, I think it was the Hollywood guys, and like that's my problem with Mission Impossible. All the movies are indistinguishable from one of them. Yeah, Like I don't remember which one is which, or it's some weird detail.
Speaker 2: I'm like, where's the one with Carrie Russell's weird eye. Okay, yeah, I remember that one right.
Speaker 4: There's the one where Sawyer from Lost gets off in the first scene. I remember that one. Then there's a one with Philip Seymour Hoffman. He's too good for this.
Speaker 2: That's also a third one with carry Russell's eye. Oh my god. Yeah, you've only got one.
Speaker 1: I think you've only seen one, but you just don't realize.
Speaker 2: There's the Abram's Mystery Box.
Speaker 1: One is the one where Tom Cruise runs a lot.
Speaker 2: He's on a motorcycle in that one.
Speaker 22: Yeah movie, he's underwater for forty minutes. He's in a plane for forty minutes. He just like watching a man who desperately wants to die while making a movie is becoming difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think the other part too, is because like in the nineties, saying something like.
Speaker 2: They spent one hundred million dollars making this, everyone was like, holy wow, Yeah, we gotta see this. James Cameron built a Titanic in Mexico. Yeah, we're gonna go fucking watch.
Speaker 24: Like, yeah, I think I'm gonna go see that one, but I think after I think we hit the peak after the first Avatar film, and that was the last time you could be like, guys, this costs so much fucking money, you have to see it.
Speaker 2: And they were like.
Speaker 21: Shutting more and they kept making avatars and he didn't need to do that.
Speaker 5: He didn't You're gonna have to do that.
Speaker 22: I just feel like it's like being super rich or like having enough money. Having enough money lets you breathe free and clear. We all know that, Like that's what you're striving for. You don't want to be super rich. You don't want to be the pallenger guys in the middle of like a Wall Street Journal interview, Like you want to actually just be able to breathe and enjoy just enough versus excess. Is basically what I'm saying. And this was made manifest by the new mission impossible for me.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see it. What you're gonna have sell.
Speaker 22: Much fun all the other mission impossibles for a story, it doesn't make sense because it sucks.
Speaker 2: It fucking sucks. I watched it recently on a plane. I was like, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: Variety Top ten Movie of the Year Tennis Movie of the Year.
Speaker 22: Variety was also like the number ten best grossing. It costs four hundred million dollars to make and it's number ten on the top grossing list of this year. Right Jesus, Okay, I'm done you screaming like an old woman. But I do appreciate you allowing me to share this point of view.
Speaker 2: We agree.
Speaker 1: What is something, Blake? Do you think it's underrated?
Speaker 2: Underrated?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 25: You heard coats, so it was under underrated?
Speaker 2: You heard me, right, God, I didn't start. No, No, you won't.
Speaker 17: You refuse to trying on a new attitude. It's pretty embarrassing.
Speaker 25: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm thrilled you are comfortable enough to try it out with me that I can test this out. I think it's great and you should police continue to show.
Speaker 2: But uh so when you did, Blake? All right? When we're here, yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: A family here, and I will be emotionally abusive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for that exact reason. That's right.
Speaker 25: To keep with the theme, underrated vents under like arm vents on a jacket or a coat where sometimes you know it's winter here on the East coast, and if you can unzip underneath like or it could be like the back is too hard because you'll want to be you know, seem back zipping, but you do sometimes go from a cold temperature inside, but you don't want to take off the whole coat. So to have these vents it can allow you to still get some air circulating without like you know, because my face, I'm my face gets so red often when I took them in from like cold weather to like restaurants the temp change is to the temp change is tough and guinness, which is euro which is another thing where if I drink get us, my face also turns red. But no, I think these are and it's it's doesn't seem like that big of a lift to put these in more jackets, you know, like they're not unfashionable. You can't see the zipper really, so just yeah, throw those in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I like that as a sweaty, sweatier gentleman now and again.
Speaker 2: And I support that.
Speaker 1: Anyone ever tried it on T shirts because I feel like I could use those like everywhere so I could stop sweating through my T shirts all the time.
Speaker 25: Did you ever own pants that you could zip off the bottom part of the pants and have shorts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think I just big time. Yeah do I have them? Have I ever? Are we wearing them? I have some from U.
Speaker 1: You know, my kids are cub Scouts, and so that's a big part of the cub Scout wardrobe is having pants that on zip around the knees and then you but like don't hide the zippers, so you're just you just have like zippers around your knees.
Speaker 2: They look terrible.
Speaker 17: I warm at my wedding.
Speaker 2: You look great. You look great.
Speaker 25: I have a hat that I zip the top off of when I want to wear a visor.
Speaker 2: I mean, I randomly.
Speaker 17: I've never worn a tank top in my life until like two years ago.
Speaker 2: It changed.
Speaker 17: It's it changed my entire existence.
Speaker 1: I think I haven't gone there yet, but I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 17: The tank top, dude, Like in l A, it just gets so hot and sunny that at some point you're like, okay, it's like a convertible for my for my shoulders.
Speaker 2: Let's get this. And it's a fun.
Speaker 17: But I get to do as I always warned my I do warn my wife before I wear it not to get too turned on. That's a fun little bit we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just text her before she comes home, just so you know it. Heads up, Yeah, you have somebody.
Speaker 1: Coming home with you, just don't yeah, don't let them in. It will all be too horny. Did you guys ever have to? Just speaking of convertible clothing, my wife and I realized that we both had the same idea for an invention when we were kids, and I feel like eighty percent of people had this idea for an invention, which is shoes that grow with you, like shoes that adjust and like grow.
Speaker 2: WHOA interesting.
Speaker 1: I think it's like my third grade science project was like, guys, I've got the invention that's going to change the future. And then I think I've like read that like hit people in history tried to make it happen too, and it's just like it doesn't make any sense, like like in theory it's a and then practically it's like we have to like put so much shit into that, like just to it just makes more sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need a new material.
Speaker 17: That's they'd have to spend what they're spending on AI to get that tour.
Speaker 2: Right exactly one day, though one day.
Speaker 25: I think it's worth the investment. I'm picturing it almost like a like a bus, like one of those longer buses where they part of it. It's not all metal, it's some of it's like rubber, which you know, I was studying buses for the past six years and this is in my thesis. But part of its rubber like accordion style. So I wonder if that's how it works and we don't have to workshop it's no, No, it's.
Speaker 1: A good idea because mine invented. Mine included like like a wheel that you would turn to like get it to expand out like a like almost rank Yeah, like a roller skate key or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also kids all know what that is, right, We're still roller skating.
Speaker 17: We're still these these little kindergarteners.
Speaker 2: I uh.
Speaker 17: It also is the Ernest Hemingway poem.
Speaker 1: Right, That's what I'm trying to avoid is for anyone to ever have baby shoes that were never worn in any way that wasn't completely tragic, all.
Speaker 23: Right, And that's going to do it For this special Martin Luther King Day edition of Oops All Overrated, Underrated, We'll be back tomorrow with a whole last episode and we'll see.
Speaker 2: You then bye.
Speaker 18: The Daily zeit guys, because executive produced by Catherine Law, co produced by bae Wag.
Speaker 2: Co produced by Victor Wright
Speaker 23: Co written by j M McNabb and edited and engineered by Brian Jeffries.