Speaker 1: Hey, listeners, this is Laura. If you love listening to best of both worlds, you might like gathering with us in November to set.
Speaker 2: Goals for the next year.
Speaker 3: We'll be co hosting Best Lead Plans Live Together this year in Fort Lauderdale from November seventh through ninth, twenty twenty four. Come join us for planning and time management workshops and a.
Speaker 2: Lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Visit the shoebox dot com slash b LP live to learn more and to sign up. That's t h E s h u box dot com slash b LP Live.
Speaker 2: We'd love to see you there. Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah hart Unger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 2: Welcome the best of both worlds. This is Laura.
Speaker 1: This episode is airing in mid March of twenty twenty four. Sarah and I are going to be sharing various fun facts about ourselves. This was kind of prompted by a list of two hundred icebreaker questions that we wound up looking through. But we are here to gather in a hotel room in Naples, So hello, Sarah sitting right next to me. Hi. Okay, we'll go from there that we need a little bit more of an icebreaker with that. Yeah, So we occasionally meet up in person and try to record a couple episodes and talk through the future of the podcast. Always enjoy doing that, So that's what we're doing here. So we apologie is very slightly more echoey sound, but hopefully being together is making.
Speaker 2: Up for that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we always love them. We get to actually record in person, it's just it's a different energy. It feels really special, and we get to take a little mini trip, which is fun as well awesome.
Speaker 1: So the first little fun fact that it turned out Sarah and I can both do it turns out we can both touch our noses with our tongues. If you could see us now we could demonstrate, but you can't really see us.
Speaker 2: So I just did it. We just did it.
Speaker 3: Laura offered that as her first fun fact, and I was like, well, me too, So it's sort of the fun fact that you have to use sparingly. I once use that as a fun fact in a situation where I then realized shortly thereafter it was probably not the right fun fact to because it just change.
Speaker 2: The whole energy of the situation.
Speaker 1: I all of a sudden, it goes from being something else to be about You could do that, you can touch your I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess we just both have long light, the mood light, the mood good way, a life good way.
Speaker 1: Speaking of other things, Sarah, do you have a biggest life regret?
Speaker 3: Yes, my biggest life regret is not studying abroad, which is actually a life regret I share with my husband. I believe he has said the same thing, so I don't know if I copied it from him, but it's so true. I made this dumb decision that I wanted to be like what was kind of the Williams equivalent of a resident advisor. And I swear the only reason I wanted it is because it was like hard to.
Speaker 2: Get Sarah's personality coming through.
Speaker 3: And I remember like looking at these really cool study of broad programs in Scandinavia and all sorts of cool places.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, no, I'm going to do this.
Speaker 3: And I mean, maybe I was thinking about medical school application or somehow thinking it would like look good, because I was definitely very forward focused back then. But oh man, I really feel like I missed such a cool opportunity to experience living somewhere else. And I know I could still do that now, but it's definitely harder. And my secondary regret that goes right along with that is that I took French in middle and high school instead of Spanish, and I could have combined both of those, taken Spanish, become fluent in Spanish, studied broad in Spain, and then I would have a skill that would be so useful in my everyday life. So I continue to work on my Spanish and I have made some progress.
Speaker 2: But those are both regrets. Okay, I did, in fact study abroad.
Speaker 1: I studied in Australia because I was not very good at any language per se. I studied French forever and still cannot really say all that much in French, as happens with many Americans. But I studied abroad in Australia, which they turned out to speak English, so that's helpful. I mean there are trade offs though, I mean because so you know, the way in college are like leadership roles for activities all went as you would start in the middle of your junior year and go to the first half of your senior year for like the top leadership roles for everything. So I couldn't do that because I went my spring junior year, So I missed out on being like a top leader in any the organizations that I was in because of that. So there were trade offs, but you know, it was also really fun. I regret not having done a whole lot of like done the like European trip in my twenties where you go travel around everywhere. I think that would have been a lot of fun to do. But on the other hand, when I was in Australia, I did travel all around Australia, so I guess I had to some degree the you know experience of sleeping in cheap guest houses and going to see lots of different things. So yeah, I mean had it in a different form. Yes, I did do that trip and it was really fun. Yeah, all right, Well, then there we go we have, we can share each other's life regrets in a different different way.
Speaker 2: So, Sarah, what was your worst haircut? Ever?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is easy.
Speaker 3: So I began Japanese straightening my hair in two thousand and seven, and I'm going to go into a little detail because every time I mentioned Japanese straightening, I get like three emails about like what is this?
Speaker 2: What is this thing?
Speaker 3: And it is a multi step process that makes your hair completely straight, like frizz free. You can just get out of the shower and it's like straight. I mean I have not super curly hair, but just kind of like frizzy, wavy hair, and this makes it much easier to control. And the first time I got like a real paycheck in residency, I was like, I'm getting my hair straightened and it takes a long time. It takes like four or five hours. And back then I think I paid maybe like six hundred dollars for the initial straightening, and that's actually a low price for an initial because it's your whole head of hair. It takes like forever, but I'm so proud of it.
Speaker 4: And then I was like, now that I have straight hair, I can do really interesting things with my hair.
Speaker 3: And at the time, Victoria Beckham was really making waves with this cute little like I don't know, pixies hype haircut that was a little bit asymmetrical, and I was like, I'm going to have posh spice hair. And I got that haircut, and I see pictures from that time and I was like wow, because not only was it bad, but my hair was like so straight. Because it is so straight that it's just sort of like lanthly, it was bad.
Speaker 2: That's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in fifth grade, I finally got my hair cut like shorter, which was probably it needed to happen for a while, it had been pretty long. But then elected to do a home perm to as people may remember that that was a thing back in the eighties or nineties that you could buy these home perm kits. I don't know if they're still around or if the chemicals are just so terrible that they would have been changed in some way, shape or form with the evolution of standards, but anyway, it was kind of funny looking, you know, a lot of little frize, Like here you are trying to get rid of your curls, and I'm trying to put them in but probably not in a great way. So there's some pretty funny pictures from that era speaking of people being from various eras though emojis all right, So Sarah and I had a little discussion about emojis. So this icebreaker question was like, do you use the you know whatever? Like when I want to do a smiley face, I put a colon and a parentheses right the half of the parentheses, and if you want to do a frownie face, you do the other way, right, you know?
Speaker 2: And then Sarah said, well, I was like absolutely shocked. She was shocked.
Speaker 1: Apparently this like ages me to the point of geriatric status on my smartphone.
Speaker 4: Like technically we're the same generation, but I don't know that might be like where the millennials and DNEX divides, Like I my husband does the same as you, Laura, like, and he is older than you are by a few years.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I definitely associate that with an age cut off.
Speaker 1: And I because it's somewhere in the eighteen months between our birthdays, then I.
Speaker 2: Guess, so, yes, it must be. It must be.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was like who got really comfortable using the little like faces and aim or I think am had faces. I don't know my kids use emojis in even like different ways, or like we'll use different emojis than I would think of using.
Speaker 2: And I feel like the quintessential like millennial emojis are like.
Speaker 3: The laugh crying face, the like two tears face, the like anguish face, the head explode face.
Speaker 2: Those are all my very frequently frequently used.
Speaker 3: Although I will say my mom, who I believe the seventy five on the Davis episode Airsy Happy Birthday, she uses a lot of face emojis, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, good for her. I mean, I guess I'm just behind the times. I've never managed to do that one where you know, you can actually do in the characters where it's I'm trying to demonstrate in here nobody's seeing me, but with the hand shrug, right, Like, you can do one with the hand shrug, but you have to do like ten different characters in order to make it look like the person's shrugging. But I have not figured that one out. I don't go beyond apparently the only emotions I need to express in my texts or emails are the smiley face or the frowny face. And that is the extent of my emotional language. Okay, So the celebrity, Sarah, the celebrity that you have ever been told you look like?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, so what is the show again?
Speaker 3: Oh, House of Cards? I look a lot like. I don't really that I look like her, but I look like her character in House of Cards. So Kate Mara plays this like annoying journalist and if you like look at her fast, it's like me. And I actually was kind of freaked out by seeing the show because like the person superficially looked so much like.
Speaker 2: Me that I like almost couldn't watch it.
Speaker 3: When I see her all dressed up and looking Hollywood glam, like, she looks way better than me. So you know, but in that show, it's like, wow, dappleganger, doppleganger for Sarah, So go check that out.
Speaker 1: I know at one point and somebody told me I look like Jodie Foster, but I don't know if I have anyone I look entirely like. Oh well, so, Sarah, what is your least favorite food? Perhaps something you maybe had to eat in childhood and have resolved never to eat as an adult. So I answered it, But I have like so many different answers that I'm going to because I had a great text discussion with my text friend Kay and we were talking about foods we don't like. I don't like I have texture issues, okay gum, I don't like jello. I don't like those Morton gels.
Speaker 3: I don't like anything that's like in the mouth that might have like a slightly chewy or like flubbery kind of feeling like I will die like. So that is my most dislike thing. My other most dislike thing is cilantro because I'm like a major Cilantro hater. But growing up, I would say, like my mom would like microwave like steamed plains zucchini, and I was not.
Speaker 2: A fan of that either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like cilantro. So you're on the other side of the cilantro. Does it taste like soap to you? Or you just don't like it?
Speaker 2: Just like I mean they always say soap. I'm like, it just tastes like garbage, Like I just it just tastes. Yeah, how do you eat but you like stuff like guacamole? Yeah, I get it without you get it interesting? Interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm a Cilantro fan, but I would say I remember eating liver growing up, and I mean it must get still sold places. I'm sure people have like liver and onions or something like that, but it's a food that I would never like contemplate buying as an adult or serving in my household.
Speaker 2: So there you go. All right.
Speaker 1: If you were to have a superpower, what superpower would you want? I debate about this.
Speaker 3: I mean part of me is like, would it be cool to see each other hear each other like people's thoughts? But then I'm like that would actually be kind of probably multi layered and bad, like maybe there are things.
Speaker 2: You don't you don't want to know.
Speaker 3: So I would choose teleportation because I don't like driving.
Speaker 2: I don't love flying.
Speaker 3: It would just be so convenient to just like close my eyes and then be wherever I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's true.
Speaker 1: Having been on some long flights, I feel like that would be helpful.
Speaker 2: Or can your family also like teleport with you?
Speaker 1: I mean, can you take passengers along on your teleportation superpower?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe we could go in like the like flu powder thing, like a Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because I mean I was just saying, we're trying to figure out if we could take like a longer trip with our kids, because we have the equivalent of being able to take like two weeks over Christmas next year, so like, well, we could go somewhere much further away would be great. And then we just had a mere like two hours on the plane with our kids going to and from Orlando from Philadelphia. It's just like, no, no, we have not reached that. We've not reached that point. I mean, my older kids would be fine, but to the younger ones, and I don't think I'm going to leave them for that long. So it's uh, yeah, oh, well ponder that one. So teleportation would be cool, but I also would.
Speaker 2: Really enjoy flying.
Speaker 1: I think flying would be awesome just from you know, when we were doing that two hour trip to and from Orlando, we went to Disney and one of my favorite rides ever is Avatar because the flight of passage, you ride on the back of a banshee through this navvy like thing, and it feels like you're flying, like you go up and down, you swoop, the scenery changes, and I always love that feeling. So I think I might enjoy the superpower of being able to fly.
Speaker 3: And that led into our next one because I was like, oh, yeah, Josh says the same thing. It must be you're like, you have the same personality type because we can I tell Yeah, you were out to dinner and maybe I'd told this before, but I'm an E S FJ and Myers Briggs pretty consistently, and we were sitting at the table with Laura and then my lovely college friend Vicky, and they're.
Speaker 4: Both the same. And then that's the same as Josh. So then I was like, oh, I must only enjoy hanging out with what is it.
Speaker 2: I NTJ CJ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure there's any validity to any of this, but im TJ is Actually it's interesting that you found me and Vicky because it's actually a pretty rare type, particularly for females.
Speaker 2: Apparently, I don't know. I saw a distribution that.
Speaker 3: Makes sense for both the view and the types of women you both are.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's interesting. Interesting.
Speaker 1: I guess that means it's an introvert and I know I'm a planner. I don't really know what the other two mean.
Speaker 2: We didn't think that far.
Speaker 1: We didn't figure out for ourhead because we're like different on everything except being planners.
Speaker 2: Sensing and feeling, sensing a feeling. Apparently I don't sensor feel.
Speaker 3: No sensing and proceeding, and then it's feeling and judging. Sorry, we'll have to have a subject matter expert explain our myers brace.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what it actually is. I didn't even start with the enneagram one. I think I started taking it at one point and then I'm like, I have no idea this could put me in anything. So maybe being skeptical of that as part of the personality framework as well.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we're going to take a quick ad break.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more fun fact slash icebreakers.
Speaker 2: All right, so we are back.
Speaker 1: Sarah and I are recording to gather in our hotel room here in Naples, Florida. It's always fun to be together in person, and as part of being together in person, we are doing a list of fun facts slash icebreaker questions that we found online and have been going through. So, Sarah, what is your favorite holiday? I answered Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: But I think in the real answer in my heart is I love New Year's I love the lead up to it, I love the I love celebrating. I mean I like New Year's Eve too, like leading into new year. So yeah, yeah, I knew my answer.
Speaker 1: And in terms of I mean, because I know you sometimes do like religious holidays with your extended family.
Speaker 2: Do you have one of those that's like a major fun one or.
Speaker 3: Well, I would have to go with the Jewish New Year, the Jewish New Year, Okay, same thing, same thing.
Speaker 1: Right, that's a rashashana, right, yeah, okay, so celebrate that and as a family one too. Yeah. I like Christmas, but because I like all the lead up, I like the cozy aspects of it. It can be a little bit high pressure though, so sometimes I kind of like the Thanksgiving part of it too, because it's you get some of the coziness of Christmas, and you can have your Christmas stuff up by Thanksgiving most of the time, but it's a little bit less pressure. And certainly when you are a mom of five children and are coordinating everyone's gifts and wrapping and activities, Christmas winds up consuming a lot of energy. So yeah, all right, if you had a time machine, would you prefer to go forward or backwards? If we had quite a discussion about this over a drink last night, I know, but.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even make up my mind.
Speaker 3: Like, I feel like both we both decided that going too far backward was a very.
Speaker 1: Bad idea, because like what if you like cut yourself and get an infection at like it's seventeen sixty three and you're like, whoops, I guess I'm not making it back.
Speaker 2: To the future. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Plus, I mean we probably in certain places wouldn't have been able to go to school, you know, like a lot of rites that we take for granted would be taken away.
Speaker 2: I don't really want to not be able to vote in things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the nineties would be fun to relive, and I think I'd like to go into like the near future, but then the far future is also slightly terrifying.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm like that that'll be the cold dead planet.
Speaker 1: I guess, you know, hopefully our time machine still goes back once we're like hovering around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I you know, I'm pretty happy with the present. I guess, you know, I think, much.
Speaker 3: Like reading other people minds, I think you just don't want to a box.
Speaker 1: I don't want to Yeah, yeah, okay, weirdest food you have ever eaten?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We I mean, did you have a good answer for this well.
Speaker 1: I mean, so when I was in Australia, somebody, you know, there was some like thing that was totally just aimbed at tourists where you could try kangaroo meat because normal people do not eat kangaroo meat because it's really gamey. Right, So anything that's a wild animal is not going to taste all that great because they are more muscular, Like it's a just different flavor, so it's gonna be like a darker gamy type of meat.
Speaker 2: It's just not good. Right.
Speaker 1: So I have, in fact had kangaroo, but eh, we've both tried like escargo, right, you know, one of the things that's.
Speaker 2: True French not a common not a commonly eaten thing. I guess I've had meals with like rabbit and stuff like rabbit. Yeah, that's interesting, that's you know, that's true.
Speaker 1: When I was in Japan once, they there's a certain kind of cuisine and I've never figured out what it is, so maybe somebody can write in and tell me what this is. But it featured both like raw basically like very rare steak and eggs that were not cooked that much. I was like, this is really funny. Is this what they serve? To the tourist to like try to I don't know, make seem well, they eat it. I mean they eat the fish with the heads on the moon served, so maybe they'll eat this too.
Speaker 3: I think I also had some sort of novelty gator byte ones gator bytes.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, if you're in Florida, you got to try that at some point. So of course, all right, if you could live.
Speaker 2: Anywhere for a year, Sarah, where would you want to live?
Speaker 3: I feel like I have such a boring answer to this, but I think it would be really lovely to live in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Hawaii is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It's very beautiful. It'd be very peaceful. It would be logistically easy. I wouldn't have to deal with I mean, I know here I am contradicting myself. I want to travel abroad, yet I'm got to choose Hawaii.
Speaker 2: No. I think there's a lot of places I have fun living.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously, if it's an English speaking place, that makes it easier. In New Zealand, I've always wanted to go to So maybe a year would be the answer. I really make that plane flight be worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. If you're going to spend eighteen hours on a plane. Yeah. New Zealand would be awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, why, I love the beach, but I don't know if I'd want to spend an entire year at the beach. I guess that's the I always enjoy going for a couple of weeks in the summer. But then that may be the extent of how much of that I want. I mean, I was thinking maybe somewhere like London, because you know, it's a great city, it's very beautiful at prices, and they speak English, so I wouldn't have the barriers that you know, if I were, you know, because am I bringing my kids, like if they're going to school, like they don't speak anything else, So that would be I shall appreciate.
Speaker 2: The kids if I'm bringing the kids for a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then and then the upside of London, obviously is you could get very easily to other cities in Europe. It would be like me flying to Florida to go to Berlin. You know, you go for the weekend. You could go to.
Speaker 2: All over Europe.
Speaker 1: So I mean that would have an upside of being central for those locations. All right, if you were going to have dinner with any celebrity, who would it be.
Speaker 3: I mean, Taylor Swift is such an obvious answer, but I think she'd be a fascinating dinner guest. I mean, really, anyone super famous in Hollywood would be great. I'd invite Ryan Gosling over for dinner.
Speaker 2: What's your draw to Ryan Gosling? I don't know.
Speaker 3: He seems super smart, and he's super cute, and he probably knows a lot of coal people and seems like he'd be a fun dinner guest.
Speaker 2: Fun dinner guests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I was thinking about people who are like sort of known for conversational ability.
Speaker 2: I mean someone like.
Speaker 1: Oprah right that, I mean, she obviously has had conversations with thousands of people, but or someone like John Stuart. I actually watched the return of John Stuart to Comedy Central his first few opening monologues, and reminded me how much I enjoyed watching that back and I don't know, probably from twenty ten to twenty fifteen when he left. I used to watch it all the time, so always enjoy his sense of humor.
Speaker 2: So I'd probably maybe have maybe him. Jerry Seinfeld would be funny.
Speaker 1: Seinfeld would be funny too. He's another really good one. I've read some of his model, like he has books out of some of his material.
Speaker 2: It's always hilarious as well.
Speaker 1: If you had one thousand dollars to spend indulgently, what would you spend it on?
Speaker 3: I would I've thought about this since we talked about it. I would just put it all on credit at the place where I like to get massages, and then I would get massages completely guilt free for like you know, however many months it lasts like once a month.
Speaker 2: Maybe I need to update my wardrobe. Maybe I just like spend it on.
Speaker 1: Nice clothes, but I think I need somebody to shop with me because I'd probably spend it.
Speaker 2: Maybe you'd actually spend that money on a stylist. Stylist, I think I could be. That could be what is your favorite breakfast cereal?
Speaker 3: I don't eat that much breakfast cereal lately, but I really enjoy like the really like fancy granola that's like all natural and like has no sugar, like not the like Nature Valley Brand or something like that, but the ones that come in like the little like paper bags, or that you buy it some a specialty store, like I can get it to that.
Speaker 2: Do they actually taste good or you just feel very mrtuous eating it. No, no, no, I love it.
Speaker 3: I actually like it better when it's not like super sweet. Yeah yeah, Bola is a really good brand.
Speaker 1: Oh oh la, Yeah, I've never heard of that one. Well, my tastes aren't nearly as fancy. I like corn flakes, but I do often put granola in them because I like a little more crunch, and corn flakes are kind of soggy by about ten seconds of putting my almond milk on them.
Speaker 2: I also like cheerios. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Cheerios are just good. I enjoy them so but pretty much most breakfast here, I can't get early into the ones with like the marshmallows.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: My husband eats lucky charms. I cannot fathom like eating lucky charms. But because of this, we have lucky charms in the house.
Speaker 2: And that's really funny. Do you think he wants it publicly known that he's I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just shared it, so now now everyone knows a fun fact about him.
Speaker 2: Hoops. Sarah.
Speaker 1: If you were to get a tattoo, yes, what would it be and where would it be?
Speaker 3: We dissected this and if I was forced under dress to get.
Speaker 1: It, she doesn't want a tattoo. By the way, this is not this is not upcoming anytime soon.
Speaker 3: I would get like my kids' names, maybe like sj ACG so, like our family in like really small letters on my.
Speaker 2: Ankle, because like that would be kind of unobtrusive.
Speaker 3: Your ankle's not going to get all like soggy when you get older and saggy whatever soggy.
Speaker 2: That's my choice. I was propped probably by the cornflake discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, although I've heard that on the bone like then on your ankle would be pretty painful.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but yeah, no, ankle could be good or maybe I don't know, upper arm or something. But I guess I would want it somewhere that's unobtrusive. But then if it's your lower back you can't see it, so you personally can't see it, then what's you know?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I want to be able to see it. You want to be able to see it.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe some sort of abstract design I would get, But then I have nothing that is important enough to me as an abstract design that I'd want.
Speaker 2: It permanently on my body.
Speaker 1: Who can always draw something with a pen if I want it on me? So I guess what would take from this from this fun fact slash icebreaker question is that neither of us are going to be getting a tattoo anytime soon.
Speaker 3: What if there's like a random like ad placement for like a tattoo parlor.
Speaker 1: This episode, that would be pretty funny if anyone who is listening to this as like an adult person has a tattoo that you have gotten, like not just as like a teenage you know thing you did whim yeah, but as an adult like you made a study decision to get something.
Speaker 2: We would love to hear about it.
Speaker 1: So please write us and let us know where you got it, what it says our shows, and we will take that into account.
Speaker 3: If anybody has a best of both worlds tattoo, that would be a little scary. I'll send you a free mug.
Speaker 2: I broke one of my mugs. Can you send me a free book?
Speaker 3: Oh good, josh On that forwarded them.
Speaker 1: Okay, songs are artists that really take you back to formative years of your life. So I guess what songs or artists if you heard them, would maybe be like, oh my gosh, it is nineteen ninety five all over.
Speaker 3: Again, nineteen ninety five torri umusriamos like that was her like Cornflake Girl era, and.
Speaker 2: Speaking of corn flakes, yes, that's the of this episode. I guess I am a Cornflake girl.
Speaker 3: Such a good song, such a good albums.
Speaker 1: The Cornflake Girls thought that was a good solution hanging with the Raisin Girls. I mean, the lyrics make no sense whatsoever on apparently the level that I understand them.
Speaker 3: So listen to some analysis of it, but I don't remember what it was. But it actually did have like a it had some meaning.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it had a meaning. But yeah, that's made a lot into it.
Speaker 1: That is my nineteen ninety five Okay, Cornflake Girl nineteen ninety five. I got to say that I listened to a lot of Indigo Girls in high school.
Speaker 2: I had the.
Speaker 1: Two CD set of there it was live back on the bus y'all, I guess is what it was, and so it had their greatest hits up until I don't know about nineteen ninety five that they had performed live various places so you know, I hear something from that. Many of their pieces from that Galileo of course, the Closer to Fine the into all their concerts with.
Speaker 2: That one featured prominently in Barbie. Oh yeah, well there you go watch it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Yes, speaking of things that we could skip to that one.
Speaker 1: Things you are incredibly finicky about, Sarah, What are what are you very finicky about?
Speaker 2: Hair care? Hair care? Okay, hair care and.
Speaker 3: Where I get my hair done because, by the way, I still do Japanese straightening. I have done it since two thousand and seven, so coming up on seventeen years.
Speaker 2: And I'm picky. So what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Like in terms of shampoo you like, do you use shampoo like in or condition or anything like?
Speaker 3: I can you use Like I didn't even bring any on this trip, So I guess I'm not that finicky.
Speaker 2: I use the hotel stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I prefer like like either the Millbonn brand because that's who like does the Japanese training, or like there's a brand Sephira that my hair guy recommended that I like the smell of a lot.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm picky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turns out I'm really picky about things I watch, which I have not watched many.
Speaker 2: Movies or television shows. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 1: It's not something I really like doing all that much, and so if I'm gonna spend the time on it.
Speaker 2: It has to be something I know I'm gonna want to watch.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things I don't really want to watch, so I guess I'm really over the top finicky about that. I like it all right, selective, I'm selective. Selective, we'll use that word, Sarah. What was the first concert you ever went to?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure it was Bear Naked Ladies at the Theater of Living Arts in Philadelphia. Okay, it also could have been Tori Emos, Like I was thinking it's one or the other.
Speaker 2: When did you go see Toriemos.
Speaker 3: In Philadelphia as well? In like nineteen ninety five or six or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never seen her perform. I've actually never seen the Endigo Girls performing there. I seen them too. I have some worry that maybe it wouldn't be I don't know, they wouldn't play the stuff I'd want them to play, and then I'd be one of those people be like, were they playing the stuff from like nineteen eighties that I want to listen to.
Speaker 3: Well, I saw them in like the nineties or maybe the early aughts, and it was a woman fest, like everyone was like dancing in the aisles.
Speaker 2: It was an outdoor concert. I think that was at the Man.
Speaker 3: Actually, all my good concerts are in Philadelphia where you live now, So yeah, I think you should go see the Indigo Girls.
Speaker 1: Well, but I need to see them in the nineteen nineties, so I got to take that time machine. You got to go back to like nineteen ninety five and see an Indigo Girls concert.
Speaker 2: Then I think that sounds like a like a good plan. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My first concert I ever saw was Michael Bolton, which a friend I was in sixth grade, I guess, and a friend and I went to. It was like an outdoor concert in Raleigh where we lived. So that was my first live one. Been to several fun ones since then, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still remember it. It was an event. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Speaker 3: I had a few phases, but I feel like the one that was fairly consistent was I was interested in being a psychiatrist.
Speaker 2: And my idea was.
Speaker 3: Not because I was like highbrow and reading, you know, really cool Freudian literature. But because I thought the dad on Growing Pains had a really.
Speaker 2: Cool tal.
Speaker 1: You know, being finicky about what we watched, that was a good show. It was a good show, all right, and apparently a job to aspire it to as well. Yeah, I think I wanted to be a writer, and then in various times thought I might be like a performer of some variety, which is probably why I still enjoy speaking and enjoy singing in my choir and things like that.
Speaker 2: I was like being up on stage. So there we go.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit about childhood activities. What were the things that you did in your spare time when you were I guess kid, but also like high school, like when you were actually thinking about what activities would be good for your development or something.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was a very busy high schooler. I was.
Speaker 3: I played the violin pretty seriously, like I would go to all the like State I even went to Eastern Orchestra. I was really into it. Actually, I don't even know if I was into it. I was pretty good at it, and I was like leveraging that to get to go to fund conferences and.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 3: And then I sang which I actually enjoyed much more than playing and I also played piano, so I was like super musical. And then I also had this like cheerleading side of my life, and they were always kind of competing, like I'd miss this to go to that, I missed this to go to that, and every won't be annoyed, and even like the singing, people were like, you can't be screaming because you're a soprano and you know states are coming or like whatever.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there was a lot of tension.
Speaker 3: I will say I was much more gifted in the music realm than I was in the cheerleading realm by a lot. Was very mediocre in the cheerleading realm, but I probably enjoyed the cheerleading realm. And oh, speaking of regrets, don't know why I didn't like figure out fine running back then.
Speaker 2: I feel like I would have really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I would have enjoyed running. YEA, I didn't run as a high school or whatever anything like that. I yeah, also did piano singing. I remember I did one year of cheerleading in eighth grade, partly as a bid to seem normal. I guess I did quiz bowl in high school. That was something I remember doing. And then when I went to my second high school, I wund up being part of the school newspaper, which was you know, I had various Woodward and Bernstein fantasies that I was no doubt attempting to live out to you know, everyone having to deal with my like two thousand words screeds that were then printed in that newspaper. But the good news is that was before most things are on the internet, so no one will be able to find it now. I don't know if you really uh, it's like a microfiche somewhere.
Speaker 2: You'd have to be looking into it to go find it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were like running for president, you know, someone would be like, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: But I'm not running for a president. I also think of it sometimes.
Speaker 1: I mean the Daily Princetonian and other things had websites, but like it was like the very dawn of this happening, and so nobody really can find any of that very easily now.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just thank goodness because I think that would have been It's often good for your writing to develop more in a small market versus being exposed to everyone on the planet quickly.
Speaker 2: But speaking of high school.
Speaker 1: Another fun fact Sarah and I discovered about each other which we will only indulge in because we think that a lot of women are not perceived as being as mathematically competent as others for I don't know why, but that is. But Sarah, what did you get on the math section of the SAT eight hundred?
Speaker 2: What did you get on the math section of the SAT eight hundred?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, yay, we didn't get eight hundred on the other part, Yeah no, but which it is interesting since both of us do a lot of writing. But yeah, we both apparently I learned enough math to cough it back up perfectly on the SAT.
Speaker 2: So yay. Us.
Speaker 1: What have you used consistently, Like any sort of product or item you've used consistently since you were in high school?
Speaker 3: I still wear Clinique black Honey almost lipstick. I believe it's been the love of the week on this show before. But that color is just like it's so good and it I feel like so many lipsticks really irritate my lips and dry them out, and that one doesn't. And I don't know if they've left their formula unchanged since the nineties, but.
Speaker 2: Like it's good it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I realized I should be wearing a slightly more pink color than the brown I probably was, And somebody told me, he's like, oh, well, the nineties are back, and I'm like, I think I probably got it.
Speaker 2: In the nineties. So I just kept using it so moved on.
Speaker 1: But I've been using a Conair curling iron since the nineties. I started curling my hair and probably my junior or senior year of high school. It is just I have very straight hair, but I'd prefer to have a little bit more body, so I would curl it. And then I kept doing that, and at some point, I think it was only like four years ago, the curling iron finally gave out. I think I had used it for literally twenty five years, and no product really can be expected to last quite that long. So shout out to con Air. But you know, then had to get another one.
Speaker 2: Connor.
Speaker 3: He has been a show sponsor before, and I will mention that I had conn Air Geometrics.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this product?
Speaker 3: No, this was an eighties product, I believe, and it was an iron that could do curling, straightening, crimping, and triangle curl triangle curls.
Speaker 2: But what was the occasion for that.
Speaker 3: You know, you could like pull out these like interchangeable wands to like change you.
Speaker 2: But I got some mileage out of.
Speaker 1: The okay, the crimper, Okay, all right, well that was fine. Photos of that if we can. And as long time listeners know, I have been dyeing my hair out with the same Looreal pre fronts nine and a half a boxes forever. So fun fact about me, I guess I am quite flexible, especially for a forty five year old woman.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 1: Sarah asked if I can still do the splits. I don't know if I want to be able to. I don't know if I can. I by risk injuring myself if I am, But I know that at least a couple of years ago, I could in fact do a split. So maybe one of the reasons that my back just fell apart is that I'm too limber, so it's not supported well, and these things are trade offs in life.
Speaker 3: It turns out, yeah, I don't have a corollary to that because I'm not flexed.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was super flexible.
Speaker 3: But with all your cheerleading, right, all the running just kind of like it's that out of you yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Out of me, yes, so Sarah, Sarah is left handed, but well no, yeah.
Speaker 3: Some of my sad left handed fact, because I thought maybe my genes would be propagated. My parents are with left handed, sister's left handed, I am left handed.
Speaker 2: None of my three children are left handed. So that gene died in the water.
Speaker 3: So did the red hair gene, which is kind of sad because at my wedding my in laws talked about having red haired grandchildren, and I did give them grandchildren, but.
Speaker 2: Not redheaded ones. Is your niece left handed? I don't think so. You don't think so of there? So that well, apparently it's very recessive. Who knew? Yes, so I guess so.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, this has been a bunch of little fun facts about us. Feel free to share your own fun facts or your answers to any of these icebreaker questions. Google the list. We chose several that from the list, we did not get all of them. I don't think you want to know what our favorite sandwiches are, though maybe that could be its own discussion a whole episode, whole episode of our favorite sandwiches. But we will be back next week with more on making work in life together.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore shoe Box on Instagram, and you.
Speaker 1: Can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.