Speaker 1: I would like Katie to be president, but if she is not popular enough, I would settle for Michelangelo. It's one more thing. I'm one more thing, ranked choice voting. Whatever happened to that idea. We'll talk about that in a minute.
Speaker 2: So here we are.
Speaker 3: We're going to just play a funny clip from a different show because it eats up some time.
Speaker 2: That's the behind the scenes view of what we're doing here.
Speaker 1: What fruit Now, it's an amusing springboard for conversations. Why do you say things like that? What happened to you in your childhood that you would just seek to undermine your own primary occupation and a source of income.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is from the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: In this freshman class alone, and I'm going to stop for cheers for each one of these because they're remarkable. We have our first trans member of Congress. We have an engineer from an immigrant community in the San Fernando Valley. We have the first Iranian American Democrat in Congress. We have the youngest member ever elected to the House from New Jersey.
Speaker 1: That's not a thing.
Speaker 5: How did you go from the reasonably impressive first Iranian Democrat to hold the sea to the I think somewhat reaching for youngest person ever from New Jersey. And then, by the way, to the audience, if you think that that framing is not that interesting, wait, will you hear that this record breaking young phenom from New Jersey is.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight years old? Thirty eight years old?
Speaker 4: Yeah? How come on?
Speaker 2: How far are we going with this?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: In Illinois we elected a ginger?
Speaker 2: Oh well, what was the one?
Speaker 1: An Asian engineer from the San Fernando Valley.
Speaker 3: I disagree with the whole premise, and I think, go ahead, Democrats, keep harping on that stuff and see if you win elections with that because most people don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who cares about all that stuff? How about it?
Speaker 2: Are they good at their jobs? Right?
Speaker 1: Well, that's Rashida Talib though she and your Formila, Jaya Paul and the whole crew there. They still think identity politics is on the rise. It's not, no, thank you, and that might be needs to be knocked down.
Speaker 2: In Illinois we elected a ginger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I remember when, well, the first time and then subsequently I was had rank choice voting described to me, I thought it sounded like a really good idea, The idea being in a primary, especially you got like six people running, and you've got a certain you got like the sane conservative vote spread over several people, and then there's one This is obviously a prejudicial way to put it, but like one wack could do, you know, communist, And it's possible that because of that splitting of the vote, the wackadoodle gets in. Even though if you said, if you rent it like ranked choice voting, where if nobody gets a clear majority, then the bottom couple are knocked out, and then you go to you ask those people, all right, you like Joe Conservative, Joe Conservative is not gonna win. Who's your second choice? And then you keep going in that way, you'd take the bottom couple, all right, your candidate's gone, Who do you prefer? Now, until you have a consensus of the best candidates, say you don't quote unquote waste your vote.
Speaker 2: They tried it in Alaska, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They've treatended in a handful of different places and initiatives relating to rank choice of voting and open primaries around the ballot in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Missouri, Mountana, Nevada, Oregon, South Dakota. Last week, some of them varied, but now and again this has always struck me as a really good idea, and I think it is a really good idea. But the problem with a lot of good ideas is that they run into people. And the problem is you can't get people to understand.
Speaker 2: It, oh okay, and do it right, just can't because.
Speaker 3: Your description of it there was longer than most people want to spend thinking about.
Speaker 1: It, right, okay, yeah, yeah, And so sometimes it's called the instant runoff a system that's I like that that way describe it. Actually it's an instant runoff. So you don't have to reconvene everybody and say, all right, Jones and Smith are out. We got these last three people left. Who do you want to vote for? Now? You just do it all at once. But in most of the US, where does it get to the analysis? Until last week, the systems used have been expanding, particularly in liberal cities and towns. Washington, d C. Can be added to the list. But essentially it's like I said, people just screwed up. They don't understand how it works, no matter how thoroughly you try to explain it to them, which is a little discouraging. What no way yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Why you think half the country doesn't vote, and it's been that way for a very long time.
Speaker 1: They're either busy doing other things, or they just don't pay any attention to politics. They don't get it, or they don't care because they're too busy.
Speaker 2: What's your guests, it is half the country not vote.
Speaker 6: I think it's the what Jojo said, that people don't pay attention. I had a friend on election day realized it was election day. She had no clue what was going on at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I uh pooh.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say who this was, because they're a very very very nice person, but very low tier, working class, her and her husband. And she just said to me, I don't know anything about taxes and politics is all she said on election day. It's just like not a part of her life. And I wonder what my sense from her was she doesn't feel like she's smart enough for something to be involved in that, which is a terrible way to end up as an adult. You went through school and everything like that and you come out feeling like you're not capable of participating. I don't know how many people are like that. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I and and again, I would never be little that person. I would say, let's continue to send the message that hey, be part of it, you're a citizen, learn about the candidates and the issues, and then vote. The problem is that if it's if you're starting with somebody who's never really cared much, it doesn't pay much attention. If they do start to vote, they're probably going to vote the way I don't want.
Speaker 2: Because you're going to go, yeah, they lesson to the mainstream.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go with whoever Beyonce wants or whoever's going to give them the most stuff or whatever.
Speaker 1: And yeah, well right right, which is why the Democratic Party wants to register you know, any fool who can fog a mirror mentally handicapped children. They want children to vote. Please, could there be a more, you know, open and unvarnished attempt to do it exactly what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, while the young, but the so but so. This just has always been hanging out there as a possibility, and so far this hasn't really happened. But I suppose it could happen someday if you could motivate half those people that never vote and then get a big chunk of the people that do vote, you could win every freaking election forever. Yeah, if you had some message it appealed to that crowd in whatever way.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you stuff. That's the message. And there are some people who that's not even enough. They're still like, I don't get it. I don't understand. But anyway, I only give you half of my thought. As a society, we ought to say, look, your citizen's part of your responsibility and it's power in your hands. So you ought to vote on a fairly steady basis. We ought to send out that message just culturally. But if you don't want to, don't don't. I don't want to rock the vote because I on a poll test. Those you have to drag kicking, screaming to the polls. They're not going to be good voters. They're just not.
Speaker 3: That's why I want to poll test. Who's the current president, vice president? Named three branches of government? Who's the governor of your state?
Speaker 2: Those?
Speaker 3: If those could be the only questions, I'd be fine with that. If you can answer those, I'll let you vote. But there's a whole bunch of people couldn't answer those questions. I'm sorry, hit me with those again. Who's the current president and vice president? Name the three branches of government? And who's your current governor? Okay, thosen't just off the top of my head, But there's a lot of people that couldn't answer those questions.
Speaker 2: I don't want them to vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I got.
Speaker 6: A lot of joy this this weekend from two people who had already forgotten Tim Wall's name. So that was that was fun. They were just already they were so over it. I kicked his name out of their head.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Seriously, Now, it's not fair for Californians because Gavin Newsom is I mean in a boil on the backside of California for a long time. Boil you. He's been a presence in California. He's constantly discussed and then these shows blah blah blah. But what percent Americans would you guess can name their governor?
Speaker 3: Okay, take that one out now that I've thought about it for ten seconds. I would rather have a question in there, like where does government money come from?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay one?
Speaker 1: Oh? But seriously, though, what percentage of Americans do you think could name their governor? Is it more than half.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not really. Yeah, no, I don't think so, Yes, Michael.
Speaker 1: No, I was just agreeing, that's a great question about taxpayer money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's the thing I want people to understand, because there are a ton of people. Well, I'll ask you a question. What percentage of people don't know where government money comes from?
Speaker 1: A horrifyingly high percentage. Might be five percent, it might be more than half. Oh no, yes, hope not Oh that wouldn't shock me. I could teach my dog that stop.
Speaker 2: I don't think most people know where government money comes from.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's half though, Gosh, I hope you don't know that.
Speaker 2: People I know need to hang around my Oh kind dumb people?
Speaker 1: Are you hanging out to hang around the dumb more?
Speaker 2: Where do they gather under rocks?
Speaker 1: Wow? That No, that's brilliant. Though the government spends money, where do they get that money?
Speaker 2: I love that one?
Speaker 1: You get one f and chance? Wow? Wow.
Speaker 3: Half the country doesn't pay taxes, so they don't think about taxes at all.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Although everybody pays sales taxes, gas taxes, even if there's no income tax, nobody understands that they pay payroll taxes in effect, so I won't even bark up that tree. But okay, so let's all right, let's finalize our test. Who is the president? I don't even have the device president. That's not a low bar. That's laying a stick on the ground, is what that is? Who are branches of the government? And where does government get money to spend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you you can't step over that stick on the ground, as you say, that's not even a bar, then yeah, you don't get to vote.
Speaker 3: H I'm all for that. And just every time I bring up poll test, people always you know, get into the South and racism and what they used to do, which is horrifying. Make sure you couldn't possibly vote if you were black.
Speaker 2: Horrifying. But you don't have to do it the same way, you morons.
Speaker 1: Well, no, it's all under the auspices of the Justice Department and you know whatever else. Course it ought to be staple statement anyway. Or for those who are illiterate, you say you can eat one of these, You hand them a hot biscuit and a rock, and if they put the rock in their mouths.
Speaker 3: You can't vote till next time you plant or the eggs, think about it over the next year. We'll ask the same question again next year, which of these do you eat? They grab the rock again.
Speaker 2: Urry biscuits or this rock. Dang, that rock looks tasty. Give me that rock.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna walk you out this store. It says exit, but you wouldn't know that, so just just walk that way.
Speaker 2: Here's my question, which is a better investment?
Speaker 1: Lot of scratchers are a four to one K plan.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good one right there.
Speaker 1: That's advanced. No, that's too too advanced.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's it.