Speaker 1: Now that's alarming. It's one more thing. I'm strong and getty. One more thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I know we're about to talk about alarm clocks, but the old it's a Seinfeld joke. The number one mistake you make with the alarm clock is you get the AMPM thing wrong. Right, you're sleeping. You realize you said it the other day. Yeah, you said it for six thirty pm instead of am. Surely AI can get involved in that at some point and say, are you sure you want to get up at six thirty pm tomorrow? You've never gotten up at six thirty pm before, so it seems unlikely that would be you've never slept the entire day. I think you probably mean six thirty am. Surely AI can take care of that in the future. Why can't it now on my iPhone? Why doesn't it now on my iPhone? Say you're taking a nap for fourteen hours?
Speaker 2: Are you really intending to sleep from three pm to you know, four fifteen tomorrow morning?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's an excellent point. All those Sometimes you'll set an alarm for I will. I will actually if I'm playing golf the next morning and I've had a good practice session at all, and I want to remember one particular thing or technique or something. I'll sometimes schedule it ten minutes before I'm going to get to the golf court golf course, an alarm that says you know whatever, you know, good tempo whatever. So anyway, maybe someday they will have that breakthrough. But as I was bitching about during the show, they can't even get like periods and commas right, or spelling or it's deaf, Siri is deaf, sirih needs a hearing test well.
Speaker 3: And my complaint always is because I watch it all voice text it, it gets it right the first time, then changes it into chibberish. That's what confuses me the most. You heard it correctly, then changed it to something else.
Speaker 2: Why you know, another gripe which reminds me of a different thing. But and this is I realized, this is like I'm the only person on earth who is offended by this. But Apple, stop hyphenating so much.
Speaker 1: It's a thing.
Speaker 2: You don't want to hyphenate words unless you absolutely have to, especially names. Happen to me today I was texting something hyphenated in the middle of somebody's name. It's I mean and the reason it flabbergasts me is that there's a long tradition of editing in the English language publications, books, magazines, whatever, even websites, and the rules are known. They're right there for the AI systems to learn. But for whatever reason, Apple is obsessed with hyphenating so stop, which also reminds me of this piece I saw where was that in the Wall Street Journal? The global elite have given up on spelling and grammar. The Epstein Pracus where all those communications were unearthed and released and the rest of it, probably improperly, but that's a story for another day. Nobody bothers to capitalize anymore. It's full and these are like the elito Wall Street. I didn't an academia and science.
Speaker 3: I did notice that that the situation sucks. There's misspellings everywhere incredibly well, they're like the way I do it, just incredibly relaxed.
Speaker 1: Do you just.
Speaker 3: Which I'm fine with, but just get the words out? And uh yeah. I was kind of surprised by that.
Speaker 1: I cannot send a text with a grammatical error.
Speaker 3: Well what do you call it?
Speaker 1: If I do?
Speaker 2: I feel regret like I don't know, I accidentally ran over a cat with my car feel bad?
Speaker 3: What what? It depends on the grammatical error, like I can't send a wrong version of their Oh, that's.
Speaker 1: Funny, that's at the top of my list. I can't either.
Speaker 3: I regue because I have people think I'm stupid. But I don't see any reason that capitalize anything ever again in my life. Oh, I capitalize everything, all the capitalize.
Speaker 1: Why don't they?
Speaker 2: Why don't you run around on all fours grunting, huh, gonna.
Speaker 1: Abandon your humanity, civilization. I think that's a fair criticism. Let's move on.
Speaker 3: I do periods in my my just law long screed. Oh no, you can figure it out from the context. No punctuation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hate we all hate you. Yes, I sent the wrong too. Yesterday I meant t O O and I sent.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't want to do, and.
Speaker 4: I jumped at the edit button.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, it's amazing. Like the AI have bots who I talked to a lot. They can understand my endless stream of words with no punctuation perfectly fine. They know logically where the word you too.
Speaker 2: They hate me, but apple is actually sad at AI stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Oh, let's see, just get back to the topic at hand, which is the fascinating history of alarm clocks and more. We talked about this on the show the podcast earlier, but we didn't get time to do it right in my opinion, first of all alternative alarm clocks, including the sonic Bomb for the deepest sleepers. It's unbelievably loud. It flashes bright lights. And there's this it looks like a hockey puck. It's a bed vibrator. You tuck I think under your mattress and it's so strong it shakes you awake. So if you're flashing lights, screaming sirens in your bed, being shaken like it's the Blitz in nineteen forty one.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm a light sleeper. So any alarm clock could you say, HEYMP, it's time to get it. He'd be perfectly fine on me. I'd wake up, not me, shut up.
Speaker 2: And then we talked about this on the show. This alarm clock, the Pavlock shock clock, which I believe is a play.
Speaker 1: On Pavlov's dogs.
Speaker 2: But anyway, this gal gets shocked with about three hundred volts to her right wrist to get her up in the morning.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 3: I would wet myself for one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she wears like this, well, look like a watch band to sleep at night, and she gets electrocuted to wake her up in the morning.
Speaker 1: She says, yes, like a.
Speaker 2: It's now it's a six or seven on the pain scale. She said, it's somebody pinching you, not softly.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, So, like, I don't exactly know what three hundred volts feels like, but I wouldn't call anything that's a seven on the pain scale minor.
Speaker 5: This all sounds like a way to just piss me off immediately at the beginning of dark the day.
Speaker 3: Angry, Yeah, and wet because I wet myself.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's She sets hers at seventy five percent of the maximum voltage at three hundred. It sounds terrible her just sets it to twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, let's see.
Speaker 2: There's this other stuff that we talked about a little bit where you have to when your alarm goes off, you take your smartphone and you have to scan a barcode like in your bathroom to show your up and moving otherwise otherwise it donates your money to charity.
Speaker 4: I like that. One.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Man. I want to sleep in, but I don't want to sleep in twenty five bucks worth.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll get up.
Speaker 3: How about if you said it, it will, it will booty call an ex girlfriend if you don't get out of bed.
Speaker 2: By god, I'm sure that is a really good idea. You can set it for whatever amount of money you want. But there was one user who must have been crazy rich set it for nine hundred and ninety nine dollars and it went off three times.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: They have the weird self punishment thing like I have not around our alarm clocks, but other things right, Like, I feel like if I punish myself enough, I want to I don't get it wrong, which doesn't always work. Well, everybody's done the like put the alarm clock across the room, right or something, so you just you have to get out of bed, and once you're out of bed, it's less likely or you're just gonna fall back asleep.
Speaker 1: Gosh.
Speaker 5: I miss the days of being able to sleep like that, being at like a heavy sleeper.
Speaker 4: I am not anymore. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 5: I wake up at everything I used to be able to sleep through a concert and now it's there's not a chance.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sleep does change through life. It absolutely does. Another wake up app is Alarmy, which has roughly nine hundred thousand daily users in the US. It gives you missions such as doing squats, shaking the phone, or typing out motivational quotes before it stops sounding to make sure you're awake.
Speaker 3: Wow, you have to do as problem or something. So I can't just flip it off and go back to sleep. I have to do ten deep knee bends and that's definitely gonna wake me up and up stay awake.
Speaker 4: How would it know you did ten squats?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: Maybe it has the sensor, but yeah, I would just check it up and down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you jack it up?
Speaker 1: You son?
Speaker 2: And this this gal who says, uh, she's motivated because her husband hates it, and so she's motivated to do it really quick and get up.
Speaker 1: Let's see, all right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Tell me the idea when the first alarm clock was like how back, how back? How far back? To alarm clocks go like mechanical ones where you wid you should say.
Speaker 1: That I was just about to get into and I know how excited Michael Is for this, I really am. This reminds me history of the alarm clock. Did I say fascinated? I'm an idiot.
Speaker 3: It reminds me. Moving around vacation. We were driving through Idaho and we kept seeing billboards for the Potato Hall of Fame, and I kept telling my kids, Oh, only three hundred more miles. This rank's right up there, the history of alarm clocks and the Potato Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: The Potato Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Did you stop?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I kept telling them we were going to and they had grown missed off.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you got your You got like your hundred greatest potatoes of all time.
Speaker 1: They're kids like, that's a r eh boy.
Speaker 2: Long before apps like alarmy, makers of alarm clocks recognized that some of their products needed a tinge of menace. Demand for alarm clocks took off in the late nineteenth century.
Speaker 3: Late eighteen I was going to guess earlier than that.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I think probably Industrial Revolution, because before people would go to bed at dark and wake up at light more or less and do their do their stuff in the daylight.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Early models were named the rattler, the slumber stopper and the tornado. The west clock siesta was advertised in the nineteen thirties as having a second, more insistent alarm that went off ten minutes.
Speaker 1: After the first one. Ah good, one good, more or less the invention of the stool's alarm.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, other long ago alarms lit a flame or made a pot of coffee.
Speaker 4: Oh see, now we're talking.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I tell you what if you could fry up some bacon and make me a pot of coffee. That's the smell of that alone. I would, you know, float out of bed like a cartoon character.
Speaker 4: Be on?
Speaker 3: Is there settled science on whether or not the snooze is a good idea? Is sleeping to the maximum time you can get up the best way? Or is cutting ten to fifteen minutes out of your sleep with the snooze alarm the best way? I could you can make an argument for both. I've always used the snooze, but it does cheat you out of you know, if you're deep asleep eight ten, twelve whatever you said it for minutes of deep sleep?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I've heard scientists say, in fact, it's practically universal that no, you're better off not using the snoozele.
Speaker 1: It makes sense, sleep and then wake up.
Speaker 3: I just can't get up on that first hand the film. I can't the first noise. Now I got to jump up out of bed. I can't do it.
Speaker 2: It's not a question of sleep, it's a question of like emotionally to me, I've got to ease into the idea of getting out of my nice warm bed and taking on the day.
Speaker 1: I gotta get psyched up for nine minutes or so.
Speaker 3: I can't face another day.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: There are alarms that wow, oh, cry for help, cry for lark. Today there are alarms that turn off when the would be snoozers shoot a fake gun at a target, or curl a.
Speaker 1: Small dumb bell.
Speaker 2: Oh boy Clockey, a wheel device that made his debut about twenty years ago, hops off a bedside table in beeps as it zooms around the room.
Speaker 1: You have to catch it.
Speaker 5: You did, did, yes, and it was the it was awful.
Speaker 4: Well, dude, you'd guy like you go try to pick it.
Speaker 5: Up and then cause it's it's a box and it's got two big wheels, so it can just change directions.
Speaker 4: How like groggy, it goes in between your legs. I'll the amount of times. I want to chuck that thing.
Speaker 3: Once I got it idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I opened talking about the what was it called the alarm bomb or whatever? That was crazy loud one oh, the sonic bomb one hundred and thirteen decibels crack yeah to supplement the noise, and has flashing red lights, bed shaking puck for under the mattress or pillow. Even though it was originally made for the deaf and heart of hearing, it's really it has a huge following among college.
Speaker 1: Kids, said the marketing director. One you.
Speaker 2: The review reads, I have a heart attack every morning, but it really wakes me up. Sleep doctors say that some amount of what they call sleep inertia is normal. Bah bah bah. So yeah, it's sleep inertia. It speaks for itself. Let's see it ends with Kinsey Small, a thirty one year old software engineer in Boston, has been using Alarmy for years. First thing she does in the morning is give her phone thirty vigorous shakes. Yeah, me too, smacking it with one hand into the palm of the other. The shaking somehow gets me to that point where I'm awake. I know that I'm up, and I have to go to work. I really do think this is the reason I still have a job. Yeah, some sort of physical activity like that would do it.
Speaker 3: There was a sleep highgiene article in the New York Times a couple of weeks ago, like this is everything we now know about sleep, And one of the number one things they said for good sleep is to go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Yeah, and I've never done that. I don't do it on a Monday through Friday basis, let alone on the weekends. But they said that is the best thing you can do for your sleep, is to train your body same time every day. My dad's always done that. He's the opposite of me. He's always gone to bed like nine thirty. He's asleep, and he gets up at four thirty or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm practically religious about it all right.
Speaker 2: Through the years, I've noticed that if you're like crazy short out in sleep, it doesn't affect you much.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 2: I'm psychotic, so I don't like the feeling of being sleep deprived. It's so miserable. That's part of the reason life I ever. I get to ten fifteen, I'm like, no, I'm going to bed.
Speaker 3: Good en If I've ever not been sleep deprived, so I don't know what that would feel like.
Speaker 4: Now it's a blast.
Speaker 3: I push myself really hard on that, which will kill me early, no doubt about it. Probably the most unhealthy thing I do.
Speaker 2: Jack, there's no alarm clock in the grave, he says, trying to somehow tie that dark thing together with the theme, how.
Speaker 1: Do I do?
Speaker 4: Nailed it?
Speaker 1: How's this for an idea for an alarm clock?
Speaker 2: You hire somebody with an ice bucket and at three am they just dumped that water crap.
Speaker 3: I probably would have a heart attack on that.
Speaker 4: I would haul off and punch that person.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah, I would beat them hard, bulkhep assault charge, no holds barred.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you'd be awake. Yes, you know what You're right, Michael, Well.
Speaker 4: I guess that's it.
Speaker 3: You're losing an eye, but I'm awake.