Speaker 1: Hey they're folks. It is Sunday, October the twelfth, and the next movie on our list will have you rethinking your next dinner party invite. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ's Halloween Horror hit List. As we continue to go through our deep cut movies, we're on number what.
Speaker 2: Now Rold twenty.
Speaker 1: This was not for the for the faint of heart.
Speaker 2: No, you have to be in a mood to watch this, but once you're in that mood, it is gripping from start to finish. The movie is would you rather?
Speaker 1: Did you play this game as a kid? I'm still as an adult?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely. This was more of a It wasn't as a kid. It was more of like a drinking game in college.
Speaker 1: How do you play that? Would you rather? As a drink?
Speaker 2: Would you rather it? Just you would kind of do a Truther or dare version of it? Basically, there's all sorts of twists and turns, but yes, play and it's usually like two terrible choices and you have to pick which one you'd rather do?
Speaker 1: And yes, that's exactly what the movie, and sometimes.
Speaker 2: The dare would be to do one or the other. It was not diabolical like it gets in this movie. It would be like, would you rather kiss Jimmy or sit on Billy's lap? Like that kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: What did you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, I just made up a total Why I made it all up?
Speaker 1: Baby? When was this though?
Speaker 2: You're hilarious? Oh you're so funny. Anyway, we all know the game. We all might love the game, but you might not love it so much after you see this movie because whoa, this gets this gets evil.
Speaker 1: This is an intense once you figure out what's happening, you are on edge. There is no relief in this movie once that dinner starts.
Speaker 2: There's so much tension in your body when you're watching this. So I actually wanted to put this in someone else's words because I laughed when I was looking at some of the critics reviews. One critic put it like this and said, this is not a criticism, but this movie is a contender for the feel bad movie of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one stings, man, because it The other gripping part about it, Erobes, is that it puts you. You put yourself in the position that many of these people are in, and you ask yourself, what would I do? In that position, and you're asking yourself these questions. So you're having moral questions, well they're having moral questions. You're asking yourself how much you could take, how much money is worth for it? It is. It's kind of awful at times. And the main I was about to call him the protagon is he's a star, but he is definitely the antagonist, the guy who runs this dinner. He is as he is almost you don't take them seriously, like he seems like such a caricature of the guy he's playing. He's so over the top that you.
Speaker 2: Love it, right because you know no one could actually be that horrific, right, He's miles to hope not. The release date was twenty twelve. The runtime sweet spot our thirty three minutes. Of course, it's rated R and it's a horror mystery thriller. Here is the synopsis to the movie. Desperate to help her ailing brother, a young woman unknowingly agrees to compete in a deadly game of would you Rather? Hosted by a sadistic aristocrat that absolutely reads now the box office. I didn't realize this. This was out in limited release and video on demand, so there are no numbers about how well it did, because for whatever reason, it just went almost straight to video on demand back in twenty twelve. But it has a stellar cast, some of our absolute favorites. Britney Snow. You know and love her. I always think of pitch Perfect, but she does a lot of horror movies too.
Speaker 1: She is so solid in her Oh she was, she wasn't she?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, I mean she's in a lot of movie if you look her up and you'll know her face immediately. But love Britney Snow, Jeffrey Combs, who's so good in this, Jonathan Coyne, Lawrence Gilliard, Junior, John Hurd, you know his face so so well, Sasha Gray, Charlie Hoffheimer, you've known him too. Like I'm telling you, a lot of these folks might not be household names, but once you see their faces, you know them. June squibb Eddie Steeples. It's a big cast. They're all seated around this table and all directed by David guy Levy. But this movie is I guess sadistic and diabolical is the best way I could describe it.
Speaker 1: And that is probably why the audience score is so low and rutten to me. This is not an indictment of acting. No, but for some people roll stuff like this, it's hard to say I enjoyed that movie.
Speaker 2: This is one that you kind of have to say. Now hear me out, I love this movie. Don't judge me for loving this movie because it is evil. So the Rotten to score sixty one percent, but the audience score, and this is usually a movie I would completely shy away from and stay away from because this would tell me, nah, thirty seven percent. But you again, and no indictment on you, because I loved it. You're the one who told me about this movie. I did not see this movie. I think I really do look at audience scores. I don't necessarily look at critics scores. But this one wasn't a big theatrical release. There was no big box office or no big promotion for it, so this would be one of those movies you would actually see and decide whether or not you want to watch. And a lot of times I do base it on reviews.
Speaker 1: She I think it might have been her that caught my attention. I don't know why this one came to my attention, but there's just certain actors and actresses we were talking about justin long not long ago as well. You know you're in good hands. He's in a horror movie. Okay, I'm in this young late Britney Snow she's in a horror movie. I think that's how it came about. But the premise itself in so much of it. Yeah, there's some blood and guts and gore, and it is horror, but there are It makes you have so many questions, so many moral questions that I enjoy having a conversation after the fact about a movie that's just kind of a throwaway, silly, ridiculous, disgusting at times thing you ask yourself some questions. What would I do? We finished watching it earlier and I said, do you have anything in your life that you would do blank blank blank for like we just saw them do in the movie.
Speaker 2: And we said no, No, there was nothing I said short of my child's life being on the line. And even then, I still don't think I could do what these folks were.
Speaker 1: Forced to do.
Speaker 2: Yes or yes forrest is the right word, because once they were there, that was the Hotel California. They could check in, but they could never leave. Right, So the critics consensus can you explain this to me, I actually didn't totally understand this. Though restrained by most torture porn standards, would you rather brilliant premise is ultimately harmed by its tendency towards blood and guts.
Speaker 1: True that there are some movies we've seen. First thing came to mind was hostile. There are some movies that have this torture in them. Uh, you know what, even Saw I shoy it.
Speaker 2: So that's what I think this is. If I had to liken this movie to any other movie that most people who like horror movies have seen, it would be Saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So by those standards, it's just a bit under that. It's not that it's not that cruesome, but so much of the gruesomeness here deals in the build up and that they're this enclosed, this confined space where you are forced to perform these acts or you're gonna die, to where there's an intensity of sitting across the table from people you're having to make a decision about what type of pain you're gonna put them in or put yourself through, and what decisions are they gonna make. That intensity stays for the entirety of the movie.
Speaker 2: Right, So you're not facing some unknown evil. It's nothing supernatural. There is no masked man. In fact, all of the people who are orchestrating this atrocity are right there in front of you, smiling and watching and showing their faces. So it's a very different twist on horror.
Speaker 1: And even in some of the moments that they're having at dinner, wouldn't you say? You don't agree completely, You'll see what I'm saying. The scariest moment of this movie happens happened several times when the lead bad guy says would you rather? And you're like, what's it going to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Those are the moments would you And they say would you rather? Do this horrible thing? Or this horrible thing? And then you have thirty seconds Oh that's right the.
Speaker 2: Car They have a timer that adds to the tension. Yes, So here are some of the critic reviews. Would You Rather is a horror film in the tree truest sense, opening up frightening doors in our minds and making us look at parts of ourselves. It's not easy, but it is well done and extremely compelling.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Yes, I agree with that wholeheart. The compelling part of it. It is you find that thirty second clock is a big deal. You got thirty seconds to make a decision, so you don't have time to contemplate and real you have to make a split second decision.
Speaker 2: Yep, I think you're gonna like, I'm gonna give you two more critic reviews that I think you're really going to fall in line with and entertaining an incredibly demented commentary on how easily our wills can break when given the proper price.
Speaker 1: Tag Man got heavy on us there. That is, it is a little insight into desperation, what you are willing to do and willing to do to somebody else. And look all those these folks weren't there for selfish reasons. They were there to try to say the lives of somebody else. So yeah, it does add a very a very interesting piece of humanity to this story.
Speaker 2: This is a movie when you watch it, there will be conversations afterwards and maybe even throughout, like you would maybe even pause the movie and have a conversation like this is something where it does it is thought provoking. Yeah, with the moral dilemmas.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it doesn't your thought and your conversation isn't that profound? You're at least going to turn to somebody and say, what did you do? Right? It's just fun in that way. What would you do? What would you do? Which one would you take?
Speaker 2: Because some of the characters make selfless choices.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't end well, but yes, that's very okay. Here's another one. It's smart, slick and delightfully sick, with a horrific but compelling game of survival that manages to give audiences a little food for thought along with their horror.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, we do feel valid. Okay, we can do that. We need to Okay, we need to do need to be horror movie critics.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I think so. We like all of those, but here is one of the bad reviews. An ungainly horror film that tries to twist the genre in a new direction but fails utterly. There are some truly horrific scenes, but nothing worth remembering afterwards. Really disagree when they brought the tub in, Oh my, I remember a lot. Some of the things I wish I could not remember that are still with me. So I would love to be this critic where I could forget what I saw because there are really tough moments that are still in my head. Okay, some audience reviews, I always think these are really interesting because these are folks like us who just are lovers of horror movies and have their genuine reactions. I thought this. These were pretty cool. Despite a downer of an ending, This is a great horror flick with despicable characters and some gnarly moments without showing too much. I agree the gore didn't go over the top.
Speaker 1: That is true. The scenario sounded worst and they end up executing them. That is a very good point. It is. There was a couple killing and some blood and some shocking this and that, but it is not a body horror or a gore type movie at all. That's a good point to make.
Speaker 2: And here's here's another one I heard I saw from an audience review. It was kind of a med review, but it still made me laugh. Okay, this wasn't an amazing movie by any means. There were a lot of dumb decisions and that certain characters made, but overall I actually enjoyed watching it. It was a fun movie. Exclamation point, and again, it's one of those things where you take it for what it is, which is I thought it was innovative. I thought it was clever. It's a game. We all know. It's a game we've all played, but never like this, and I think that's what made it intriguing. And yes it did. I felt like I was squirming. I was uncomfortable. And again, if you don't like being uncomfortable, this movie isn't for you, because I was uncomfortable from start to finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, soon as you realize what this thing is, what this game is, then you have another hour plus of the movie that they're at this dinner playing this game. Oh, this is the doozy. This is a good one. And I understand I can't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you read. The one there was a little harsh, but I get the criticism. All right.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're going to talk about why it's on the list, who it's for, who it's not for, the food, drink, atmosphere pairing, where to watch it, and of course it t ease for our next movie on the list, continuing our number twenty on our horror hit list. Would you rather? All right, We're going to talk about why this made our list. We feel like we've made the case, but just to be on record, this is an edge of your seat, what's going to happen next movie? It is tense. It is intense, and you have to be in that mindset to want to be in that place, because this is not something you sit back, enjoy and have fun and watch popforn You are invested and you I mean it's it's thrilling and sickening all at once. Is that a good way to put it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it'll make you think I'm okay with that? Is this one horror movie? One of the few on the lists. I cannot remember a single jump scare, no, and you know what movie.
Speaker 2: It's all set in one room. I can imagine the budget must have been almost nothing. That's why they were able to just limit release and put it on video on demand, because I can't imagine this costs much to make other than perhaps the amazing actors' salaries, because there is a stellar cast associated with this. The acting is phenomenal, The script is great, but it is uncomfortable. So who is it not for? Not for the faint of heart. It's not that gory, so it's interesting. It's not there's no there's not a lot of blood and gouts. I mean there's some, but it's not point where that would be a turnoff. It's just difficult to watch because of the moral dilemmas, and you just feel this sense of like, no, oh, God, don't tell me they're gonna do that. It's and that's where I say it's similar to Saw because you're anticipating horror in a way that your whole body is involved. So if you don't like that, and I get that, because some people are like, look, I don't really like torture, and Saw is on the edge from me. You mentioned hostile. I don't like hostele. I don't like extended torture. This was right on the line for me in terms of movies that I can that I can enjoy and barely tolerate, this would be right on the line for me.
Speaker 1: So probably again we said there's not a lot of blood and guts and gore and too much torture. The problem is you're tortured the whole movie because you never get a break. You actually know as soon as the game starts that person's got thirty seconds. Then when that's over, the next person has to it just continues. You never get a beat to do anything.
Speaker 2: I hadn't thought about it like that, but you're right, that's that's part of it. There is no relief. Oftentimes you have comedic relief. You have a break. I think we've mentioned before when it's nighttime and you know, the the zombies or the vampires are out. You know, when it's daylight, you get a break. This movie, there is no break.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think even if for a moment of levity, was there even a joke cracked.
Speaker 2: Honestly, if there was, I don't remember it because it was so intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the guy was so diabolical in everything he did and how he said it. Yeah, this is a well it seems like like, gee, Amy TJ, y'all really are recommending this, y'all. Don't make it sound great, right, It's a great experience, and it's.
Speaker 2: Again, you have to be a certain kind of horror movie lover to like this movie. And we won't get into why and how, because I I'm not gonna judge myself or you on this one, babe, But we do like this movie. Obviously it made our list. Now in terms of food, drink, atmosphere pairing. You have to watch the movie to know why. This might be kind of funny because if you like, well, like a brandy or a steak, well, they become a part of the story in a couple of different ways. There's a vegetarian and somebody who has recovered from alcoholism as a part of the game itself. Would you rather But that is just the beginning. So I just suggested wine and steak or brandy and steak or some sort of whatever you want to indulge yourself in. And again, just understand that your stomach might be a knots so not sure how hungry you would be.
Speaker 1: Scotch scotch. This is a scotch movie, Like you need This is one where something stress will happen. You go, oh, man, I need a drink. This is that movie. After every one of those scenarios, you go, you're almost breathing hard. Relieve that you just have moment, but the intensity, Yeah, you need a.
Speaker 2: Scotch sipping scotch. I actually could get totally behind that. That is this kind of movie. And you are the diabolical lead of this is, as we mentioned, an aristocrat. It's set in a gorgeous dining room, it's opulent, there's and and for sport. This man is offering you know how much money it was. It was it was life changing money to whoever wins. So there is wealth all around. And these folks who are desperate and they need the money for specific reasons. A lot of them have very altruistic reasons why they're sitting around this table trying to win this money at all costs. So yeah, I think that works. Scotch works. Where to watch it, well, you can watch it on Hulu, you can watch it on Disney Plus, AMC Plus, and of course you can just get it on demand, but if you have any of those services, it will be free along with your subscription. So check it out. Ooh would you rather? And we hope you have a really interesting conversation with the folks you watch it with. And I do think this is fun to watch in a group setting because it does create conversation. Our next movie, our next episode. It will be number nineteen, reading into the teens. We're counting down. And a little tease. I'm hoping I don't give this away too much by teasing the next movie. But it is a movie that was made during the pandemic, and any movie that was made during the pandemic has a slightly different look to this, But man, it's a movie about making a movie, and it's not just scary, it's really really funny. All right. With that, we hope you'll continue to listen to our deep cuts for now. I'm Amy Roebuck alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.