Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning, everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It's Friday, June thirteenth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robox and I'm TJ. Holmes. You want to blow right through that Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 1: I just thought you might pick it up.
Speaker 2: Oh, I picked up what you putting down as always. Yes, folks, it's Friday the thirteenth. We hope you have a good one. Don't believe the hype. Nothing to be scared of today. It's going to be a wonderful Friday. But let us begin on this run though with something quite terrible that has the world on edge right now. Israel launched a preemptive attack on Auran, and Iranian retaliation is underway as we speak, and the US tries to make it perfectly clear we had nothing to do with any of this.
Speaker 1: Also, a tragedy in India as a passenger plane goes down, killing everyone on board except for one miracle survivor in seat eleven A, and that was quick hours after a California judge tells President Trump he can't call in the National Guard, an appeals court says he can.
Speaker 2: Also on the run this morning did he want answers or attention. A viral debate erupts after a viral video of California Senator Alex Padilla being physically removed from a Christinome press conference. Also, police have arrested and charged the Dominican nightclub owners after that horrific roof collapse in April that killed two hundred and thirty six people.
Speaker 1: And another dramatic day in the did He trial with ex girlfriend Jane wrapping her six days of testimony with a huge surprise for the courtroom. And it was a wild final day in the Harvey Weinstein retrial, the judge declaring a mistrial on the third count after a grown man said he was too afraid to go back to the deliberation room.
Speaker 2: And also on the run this morning, the new five million dollar Trump Gold Card is here and it's a hot item, at least according to President Trump. Also, history was made last night in Game four of the Stanley Cup, and we missed it, and of course course we mentioned at the top it is Friday the thirteenth. Do you have a superstitious streak in you? Do you knock on wood? Do you cross your fingers? Do you even know why you do all that stuff. Well, we're gonna get into why it's very important to have some of these tricks in your back pocket, maybe on a day like Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 1: All right, looking forward to all of that, But we begin our run in the Middle East, where Iranian retaliation is underway this morning after an unprecedented Israeli attack on Iran. Israeli warplane struck one hundred targets in Iran last night, killing three top generals as well as Iran's top nuclear scientists.
Speaker 2: It's really Prime Minister Benjamin Natanyaw who said the preemptive strikes targeted Iran's nuclear program. They were meant to roll back, as he put it, Iran's threat to Israel's very survival. Nanyah who says this operation will continue in the next few days, and a state of emergency was declared in Israel as the country prepared for whatever Iranian retaliation is to come.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the United States wants to make this clear, we did not have anything to do with this. In fact, Secretary of State Marco Rubio put out this statement tonight. Israel took unilateral action against Iran. We are not involved in strikes against Iran, and our top priority is protecting American forces in the region. Israel advised US they believe this action was necessary for its self defense. President Trump and the Administration have taken all necessary steps to protect our forces and remain in close contact with our regional partners. Let me be clear, Iran should not target US interests or personnel.
Speaker 2: We should note that, as of this recording, Iran has retaliated by sending drones in the direction of Israel. Israel has been working overnight, it says, to shoot down those drones. As of this recording, we do not have any reports of widespread damage in Israel because of those strikes. Stay tuned. We will continue on the run. On this Friday morning, with a tragedy and a miracle in India, an Air India plane headed for London crashed moments after taking off, killing everybody on board except for one man. This one man didn't just survive robes. He walked away from the crash without any life threatening injuries.
Speaker 1: It's hard to get your head around how that could have happened when you see the video. Two hundred and forty two people were on board that Boeing seven eighty seven Dreamliner When it crashed into a dining hall of a medical college, it created a huge fireball. The whole plane went up in flames. It killed at least five medical students who were on the ground officials in INDSA. So far, two hundred and sixty nine bodies have been recovered, so a lot of folks died on the ground there, but the final death toll is still not yet known.
Speaker 2: So how was one man able to survive? How was he not only able to survive but walk away from this? Nobody knows. He doesn't even know. This is what we know, and a lot of people have been focused on those robes. Seat eleven A, that is where he was sitting. This is the first crash ever of a Boeing seven eighty seven aircraft. It's the worst aviation disaster in India in the thirty years. Of course, these investigations can take months and years. But Rob, when you were first telling me that somebody survived, that's one thing I was like, Man, he must be in bad shape, critical condition, you said you were reading. He said, no, he's he's stable, not life threatening. Yeah, And then you told me he walked out of this.
Speaker 1: He walked out this and you know, a lot of people were thinking, is this real? Is this true? Was he actually on the plane? But so far according to Indian officials, he was, but he just had some scratches and some bruises. Literally, it makes zero sense. And there's video of the plane as it was going down. Its nose was pointed up as the plane was rapidly descending in a lot of aviation experts say, obviously, that is bizarre, and there are a lot of questions as to what could have happened. But they said multiple things had to be going wrong for a plane this size, it was only twelve years old to go down either pilot error, bird strike, some sort of catastrophic failure that had to be just an unfortunately coincidental for it all to have happened at the same time. All right, Next up on the run, we head back to this country, where President Trump won in court yesterday against the state of California, but only after he lost.
Speaker 2: These court cases always give you whiplash. The state, if you'll remember, of California, had sued to stop the president from continuing to deploy National Guard in the streets of la in response to the anti ice demonstrations there. At a hearing yesterday, a judge sided with California and said that Trump's move was in fact unlawful and ordered him to return control of the National Guard back over to California and Governor Newsom.
Speaker 1: That victory by California, though, was short lived, because later in the day, Trump successfully appealed and another court put aside that other courts ruling and gave the power back to Trump to direct the state's National Guard. Bottom line, after all of that, we are right back where we started. So the appeals court is scheduled has scheduled a hearing for next Tuesday where there can be some more back and forth.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue on this Friday morning run now and the video is everywhere. Sure you've seen it by now. And even though we all see what happens in this video, we can't seem to agree about what we're actually seeing. Robes. We're talking about the California Senator Alex Padilla, who had a viral day yesterday after video of him confronting Homeland Security Secretary Christi Nome hit the internet.
Speaker 1: The video showed him being forcibly removed from the room by the security guards and taken into a Hallway, put on the ground and then handcuffed. How the Democrats see this an example of the harsh and even violent tactics the Trump administration will use on anyone who dares to question them. As Padilla later put it, if this is how this administration responds to a senator with a question, you can only imagine what they're doing to farm workers, to cooks.
Speaker 2: Today, laborers Republicans called it something else, political theater. They accused Padilla of rude, unbecoming behavior of a US senator who went there for a staged confrontation. A White House spokesportson put it this way. Padilla didn't want answers, he wanted attention, but the embarrassed himself and his constituents with his immature theater kid stunt. It's just another one. Depends on what side of the alley or how you interpret this. But your eyes can see what happened in this this video.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you like, if you look at the video. Nome was in La she was starting her press conference. Senator Padilla immediately interrupted her during her prepared remarks. A security guard put his hands on him, tries to walk him backwards, but Hea pushes back and resists, so they eventually get him to a hallway and down to the ground. He then identified himself as a US senator, but only at the ten second mark of the scuffle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I watched this video a bunch of times, and the scuffle was already well underway before he said, I'm Senator Alex Padia. Look, you know how I come down on these things. Everybody could have done a little better, everybody could have done something differently. But it's too bad that we are once again fighting over what we all see in a video, like we can't even agree on what our eyes are seeing. Right, here we go again. We'll continue on this run. Now we're going to head down to the Dominican and give you a follow up on that tragedy there, that nightclub tragedy. Police have now arrested the owners of that night club where two hundred and thirty six people died when that roof collapsed during a concert.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors have charged Antonio s By eight and his sister Marabelle with involuntary homicide after a night club employee came forward with evidence that he showed and warned the club's owners that they should cancel the concert because the roof was in such bad condition, My god that no.
Speaker 2: We're told to cancel it. That's different from saying, hey, you have some structure old damage. If he was specifically told don't do this. Yes, and this happened, the roof collapse. You'll remember back in April during a live rangue concert. Several prominent Dominicans were killed at the concert that night, including a well known marangue singer on stage, a Dominican governor, former Major League Baseball players. One hundred and eighty people were injured in that collapse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was just an unthinkable disaster. Prosecutors say the sibling, and this is their quote, demonstrated immense irresponsibility and negligence by failing to do what was necessary to ensure that the jet Set Club's roof was adequately and expertly repaired. They also maintained that the two tried to manipulate and intimidate their employee from going to police. The family has owned this very popular nightclub for nearly thirty years. They own a bunch of stuff in the Dominican But this employee turned over his phone where police say he had evidence of his conversations with the club.
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness. Sorry, we'll continue on the run now. The next leg brings us back here to a lower Manhadding for the Diddy trial. And I can't even believe we're saying this. There was a sweet, a tender, kind of a heartfelt moment in the courtroom yesterday. It was really extraordinary. Key prosecution witness Jane finished her testimony, but before leaving the courtroom, she stopped by the prosecution table and hugged the lead prosecutor, And then she walked over to the defense table and hugged the defense attorney who has robes for days been grilling her, and they've been going at it in some tense times. But she's been up there for a week and I read this, and my heart and this my hold, I just sank to read that. Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a class act after having to relive that terror. I mean truly, when you hear what she testified to, but also the emotions and the love that she still feels to end it with peace, To end it with that kind of warmth and love is wow, That's truly remarkable. Jane Yes has been testifying under that pseudonym to protect her identity. She's an ex girlfriend of Sean Combs and a key prosecution witness, and she is one of four victims the government has based its entire case on. She had been on the stand since last Thursday, testifying to that pattern of abuse and control by Combs, where she says she felt obligated to participate in those sex parties or freak offs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she, like you mentioned, gave grueling and graphic details about her time performing in those freak offs. The government try to frame this as a woman being coerced, controlled, and forced to participate in these hotel nights, but the defense tried to frame her as a consensual participant.
Speaker 1: There was a two hour delay in Jane taking the stand yesterday, and the court was buzzing as the judge and the attorneys worked intensely behind closed doors. And so the big question was what was this all about? What was the delay about? Well, it was whether or not a mystery rapper could be identified in court. Jane says she flew to Vegas in twenty twenty four with this rapper and his wife or girlfriend. And on that Vegas trip, Jane claims she attended a sex party that featured one of Ditty's regular escorts. And Tom having sex in front of a crowd of people in that Vegas hotel room.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the judge ultimately did not allow this rapper's name to be said in court, so he hasn't been identified, but the defense describe him and I quote a rapper very close to mister Combs, also quote a very successful rapper even quote and icon. Jane testified that Ditty was upset when he learned that she had gone to another man's freakoff is how she put it. But this had everybody buzzing and wondering and kind of dominated a lot of the talk online. Who is this other person that Jane is claiming is involved and has freak COFs as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet there's a lot of speculation out there. We won't name names certainly, but testimony is set to resume this morning. The government is expected to call Jonathan Perez, he worked as an assistant to Ditty.
Speaker 2: All right, stay with us here on this Friday morning. Ron. When we come back, we're gonna head to another courtroom where there was a bizarre ending to the Harvey Weinstein retrial. One of the jurors refused to go back into the jury room. Also, the Trump card is here. Would you pay five million dollars for it? Well, apparently thousands of people are willing to do so. And it's Friday the thirteenth. You got nothing to worry about.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to our Friday morning run and next up on the run will stay in Lower Manhattan, where there was a dramatic Dan Court in the Harvey Weinstein retrial, the judge declared a mistrial on the third count that's where Weinstein was charged with rape. After coming to a guilty verdict for one count of criminal sexual assault and not guilty for the second. The jury was deadlocked on the rape charge, reportedly because one juror would not agree to convict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the jury foreman came to the judge and told him he was afraid to go back in and deliberate, saying he was threatened by another juror and did not feel safe. The judge gave him security detail for court on Thursday, asked him can you continue deliberating on the rape charge and he just said nope, I'm sorry. And as when the judge made the decision for a mistrial on that charge, and that was that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then once court was out, several jurors spoke to the press and they disputed the foreman's narrative that he gave to the judge. They said his life was never threatened. One juror said, it's not like a fight was going to break out, adding that after seven weeks of jury duty there was high tension, but never any danger. They were speculating because it was so beautiful out and they had been stuck for seven weeks, he just wanted to go home.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could see that, but you got to see it through though. Breh.
Speaker 1: The other jurors were really upset. They said they spent so much time and devoted so much of their emotion to this case and really took it seriously and were frustrated that they ended up not getting to deliberate on that charge.
Speaker 2: Imagine thy doing that all that time. You come to the end. You know, tensions were high, and the does even said at one point, yeah, this is what happened. Sometimes it gets a little nasty, and it's supposed to. But the government said they're ready now to try Weinstein again for the third time on that account. Weinstein already serving a sixteen year prison sentence for a sexual assault conviction in California and Robes. Weinstein's attorneys already said they are about to appeal, so they're going to fight this anyway. But part of their appeal, and this is whether to your point about the grown men, said, we have never heard of this ever, that a grown man is so intimidated. A grown man who is in good physical shape in his late thirties saying I'm afraid to go back in the deliberating room. Say, we've never heard of that. So yet we'll be here.
Speaker 1: You know, when I hear stuff like that, when people are trying to get out of jury duty, like no, I can't be impartial because you know, I just I don't like police or whatever, just to not get on the jury. I've heard people make up hilarious lies. Never heard this, But now you've got someone who's been sitting on a jury saying I'm afraid for my life. All right? Next up on Iran. Who would be willing to pay five million dollars just for a chance at American citizenship? Well, thousands of people apparently.
Speaker 2: If fifteen thousand according to the President, who launched his so called Trump Gold Card this week. He's been talking about this for a while creating a special category in which foreign nationals can cash or with cash despair cash CAD. I couldn't see that word.
Speaker 1: It's a little Southern twist there. Your Arkansas came out.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me try this again. So this go guard is a special category in which foreign nationals with money to can pay five million dollars for a green card for a path to citizenship.
Speaker 1: He called it a green card with a higher level of sophistication. Are you kidding me? The administration launched a website this week for people to get on the wait list for the Gold card, and the President says fifteen thousand people have already signed up. You know, I remember when the tolls started coming out when you can like the Peach Pass or you know easy pass where you can just pay a little extra to be in a fast lane. We used to call those Lexus lanes. But now this is called a gold card instead of a green card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a green card with a higher level of sophistication.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it's.
Speaker 2: For a citizenship for people who have refined.
Speaker 1: Tastes or just a lot of money.
Speaker 2: This is nuts, all right? Next up here, just tell you quickly a historic comeback in Game four the Stanley Cup Final. Last night, Edmonton Oilers were down three goals to the Florida Panthers' skang was happening in Miami. They end up tying the game. The Oilers did. They forced overtime and eventually one with an overtime goal five to four.
Speaker 1: The series is now tied to to two. And this history that they made. They are the first road team to win a Stanley Cup game after being down by three goals. Last time that happened was in nineteen nineteen. What was the score when you fell asleep?
Speaker 2: It was three to one? I think so they were coming back. I kind of let it go. I did. This is not NBA. I liked the Stanley Cup, but I didn't lose as much. Sleepy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Can you imagine if you had stayed and then it went to overtime, you'd.
Speaker 2: Be I would have stayed up for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh that would not have been all right?
Speaker 2: Final leg here, folks, Friday thirteenth only the only Friday thirteenth of twenty twenty five. You were telling me this. I didn't know we had that many. I thought we got won every couple of years. But you say we usually have.
Speaker 1: Last year we had two.
Speaker 2: We had two, only got one this year, so enjoy this one today. We told our listeners you all about the history of the day. We talked about this during the last one we had, which was in November.
Speaker 1: It was in December. What it's December not November. Wow, you really didn't sleep last night. So it's not completely clear why the day has become a day to fear or a day of bad luck. But some say it goes back to medieval times. There's something with like some Nordic god or something, but others say it's rooted in Christianity. Christ died on a Friday. There were thirteen at the Last Supper, including Judas who betrayed him, So that's part of the history.
Speaker 2: So on this Friday the thirteenth, if you're a superstitious person, A lot of people do a lot of things or I won't folks won't walk under a ladder. A ladder and you see a black cat, you freak all these kinds of things. But some people have some little tricks to avoid superstitions. You have a list here, I'm going to use this. Do we do this all the time? Knock on wood? I had no idea where this came from. Did you know I.
Speaker 1: Knock on wood all the time if you say something you don't want to jinx yourself. Well, apparently it was once believed that good spirits lived in trees, and if you knocked on anything made from wood, you can call on those spirits for protection against misfortune. So now you know why you knock on wood.
Speaker 2: That one kind of makes sense. Can you go down? People cross their fingers all the time.
Speaker 1: I didn't know, so crossing your fingers making the sign of the Christian faith with your fingers is believe to prevent evil spirits from ruining your good fortune. So you're actually making the sign of the cross when you're crossing your fingers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so some of these have never heard of four leaf clover. We get wearing your clothes inside out? Never heard this.
Speaker 1: Apparently people do this. They said, you can wear your clothes inside out and that brings good luck. They say that's people sometimes will Baseball players will turn their caps inside out during important games. This is some They actually don't know where that superstition originated, but it's widespread. How about I didn't know walking in the rain was good luck, but I do that all the time because I always forget my umbrella. So I have had so much luck that I didn't even realize I was bringing in. But apparently it's because it's it brings the success of the crops. So if you have rain on you a rainy season, you're prosperous. This is bizarre. But avoiding cracks in the sidewalk, that is one that I do. Most of us know the rhyme step on a crack, break your mother's back? Do you step on cracks?
Speaker 2: Never heard of that until this moment. What that thing you just said? Never heard of it?
Speaker 1: Well, And I think it's just probably a good policy to avoid tripping.
Speaker 2: Although it's working well for you.
Speaker 1: Tripping is something I do often, all right anyway, So everyone, we wish you luck on this Friday, the thirteenth, And that brings us to our quote of the day. This one comes. I've heard this in different iterations, but I love the way lu seal Ball set it.
Speaker 2: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things i haven't done. There's those coming different forms, but take this one with you, folks. And you always talk about on your deathbed, are you ever going to say, Man, I really hate I did that. I hate I did that. No, A, you're going to say, I hate that I didn't get to do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, because even when we do things and regret them, we have lessons that we've learned, were wiser, were better for it. But it's when you don't do the thing that you wish you had done at the end of your life. Man, that's tough because there's no getting that time back. So y'all, before you head into the weekend, just remember to enjoy your life. Here from lucial Ball is our quote of the day. I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done. And with that, we hope you have a very lucky day on this part of the thirteenth. I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ. Holmes.
Speaker 2: Folks, have a wonderful, wonderful weekend.